Speaker 1: All the media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to it could happen here. I'm here once again.
Speaker 3: With it's James again.
Speaker 2: Free to talk to you again, James.
Speaker 3: Yeah, likewise glad to be here.
Speaker 2: You know, I spend a lot of time thinking about the world and how it works and all that jazz, and I assume you do as well.
Speaker 4: I do, yeah, yeah, increasingly worrying about the word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this place, this home is quite the puzzle. And much like a puzzle, it has been carved up and divided in so many different ways, sliced, labeled, ranked, and measured from all kinds of different angles. And that's really what I'm interested in talking about today, the different ways that we try to explain the differences we see on the global stage. So going from the concept of civilized and primitive, to the East and West binary, to the imagined communities called nations, the clash of quote unquoteizations, to the concept of first, second, and third worlds, to the development spectrum, to the global North and global cell, then finally to the core and the periphery. So we have a lot of ground to cover in this episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really like this stuff, like as a historian, like we're always kind of forced into certain divisions, right, Like even when you apply to you with your funding, right, like you're normally in like a geographical area, or like you're trying to shoehorn something that's just interesting into one of these boxes that gets funding. And I think like often that impacts like how we see the world, So we have to write with that goal.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, I find the way that we approach the telling of history so fascinating And in another life maybe I would have been a historian.
Speaker 4: I never I can recommend it. Yeah, yeah, it's I enjoy the doing of history. It's the doing of academia that I don't enjoy so much.
Speaker 2: So I suppose as historian, I'm going to ask you a discomforting question. Great, would you consider yourself civilized or primitive?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: That's a fun one.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Like, I don't like that binary because I think it's it's a value statement, right, And I think, like James Scott talks about this, Actually, this is a really interesting I've had this. James Scott right talks about the idea of people who exist outside of the state being labeled as primitive by the state. It's in the art of not being governed, and that that's the sort of the narrative there. The inherent message is that the state is the final and superior form of human organizing and people who have chosen to exist outside it are not because they chose to, but because they haven't made it there yet. And of course Scott problematized that suggests it maybe it's a choice, not a failure to accede to that civilization. And it's a concept that like young Burmese fighters have goed.
Speaker 3: Back to me. I don't think they're aware of James C.
Speaker 4: Scott if I'm being honest, but they they will say to me, like when, because when they left the cities to live with the ethnic revolutionary organizations there, they had always been told that the reason those people lived outside of the Burmese state was because they were primitive, violent. But then they came to live and fight alongside them, and they were like, no, these are a family. They were brothers and sisters and siblings, and like they want the same thing as us, Like they're not primitive, they just don't want the state. So I guess in that sense, I would want to be labeled as primitive too. I think the primitive people are doing cool shit and then the civilized people are not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I mean that's one of I think one of the one during global binaries, one of the oldest. You know, you'd hear that sign, that kind of juxtaposition or civilized and primitive or civilized and barbarians. Yeah, you know, in ancient role you see that distinction between the civilized Roman citizens and the barberia and other.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And in that instance, and in a lot of instances as used as this ideological tool just a superiority, definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like I think we have to be really careful as his story about these assumptions that we make. It'says we'll have to make a lot of assumptions about revolutions too, And I would wager that I've attended more revolutions and many of my academic colleagues, and I think many of those are grounded in the truths that people accept as truths without ever testing them. And like, I think this sort of civilized barbarian one, it's kind of the same like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a classic one. I mean, do you know where the word barbaria and even comes from?
Speaker 3: Isn't it the language?
Speaker 4: Thing?
Speaker 3: Like, because I didn't speak is it Latin? They were just going like bar Ba, is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's because of what you know, Rome did did this all the time, where they just borrowed whole sale from what the Greeks were doing. Yeah, so in Greek Barbaros meant anyone who did not speak Greek. Okay, that's the rum, and just kind of took that and expanded as he to talk about anybody who wasn't on their whole wave of urban planning and you know, coudified legal systems, the philosophy, the education they are to all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Barbarians didn't have those those refinements, right, Yeah, you know, but of course the relationship between the tours is not so simple, right because the later on in Roman history, as you'd know, Barbarians quote unquote, were incorporated slowly into the state and became very useful armies and a reserve full of labor and all these different things for what Roman was trying to do with the expartnership.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and luckily contemporary American right has been very normal about that and it isn't using that for like it's sort of eugenic eugenic agenda right.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, very very much eugenics vibes these days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where my father lives is right on the border between England and Scotland and you can visit Hadrian's Wall.
Speaker 3: I rode my bike all along it a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh ask.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like a fun edge of empire kind of thought experiment, like you beyond this line of the barbarians or uncivilized people today, it's like unremarkable, you know, like like it's literally it.
Speaker 3: It keeps some people sheep in their fields at points along like.
Speaker 4: A yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, like some stones kind of piled on top of each other and it's kind of an unremarkable novelty. But it's funny to think that at one point there was this binary world, right, and they felt that they the outside was so dangerous to them that they had to provide a physical barrier, something we're still doing.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and as we're speaking of walls, by the way, this reminds me of another major empire where this sort of dichotomy was a curtain. You know, it wasn't just taking place in the Mediterranean build you had and of course ancient China, this whole identity constructed around these moral and cultural and political ideals. Had the whole Confucianism Taoism a legalist thought or shape and what it meant to be, you know, conducting yourself properly and in a civilized manner. And so those who did not ascribe to those ideals would have been people who were labeled barbarians.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Often the people on the other side of the Great Wall.
Speaker 4: Yeah we are the United States is literally doing the exact same thing, right, Like it's we're building a giant wall and labeling other ring the people on the other side of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you definitely see the genealogy there. Yeah, but I think there's a closer genealogy we could draw upon for that particular reference though, which is how later European empires would appropriate the Roman civilized barbarian binary to justify their assimilation, extermination and colonialism.
Speaker 4: Definitely one of the things I like to do, even with you know, the United States and it's in formal empire, right, Like I love to show my students cartoons, like political cartoons, like there's one of the White Man's Burden, which like distill you know, sometimes the patriots worth a thousand words, but it distills that whole binary so well in a way that seems like repugnant to most of my students today. I guess, I don't know, maybe maybe folks are moving back that way, but like the imagery and the distinction between the way or even like Lewis and Clark when they're addressing the indigenous people they meet and calling them children, right like like this this binary distinction is so it's so apparent, and like, I don't know, it seems so outlandish, I think to most folks today maybe, But then we do similar things, I guess in uh, you know it just in a slightly more subtle way sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I mean when you look at what was taking place with the Enlightenment and that whole developments of this particular order, it steeped in these particular values with the European culture was the ideal standard, and everything that did not measure up to that standard was barbarical, primative. It's just that has never really gone away, you know, and it continues to be used to justify the domination of Western powers, particularly in the way that they've instilled these European norms and practices across the world. When it comes to things like relation to the land when it comes to things like the divisions between people, between genders, all these things, all these attitudes that are now so widespread, originated from in part, this elevation of one above the other. And speaking of I mentioned the word western there, and that's really another way that we've sort of maintained this binary in a different court of paint. It's not quite the same. So there's this sort of lingering framework of the notion of the East and the West. Right in the ancient times, it was China versus Rome. These days it's probably China versus America. Yeah, China really is that old?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And okay, this is probably a very probably very gen z reference for me to make. But I don't know if you've seen these edits circulated on social media of the Chinese president Chi chen Ping going like buzzer Beijing, and there's like a whole bunch of like skyscrapers and like like hardcore like electronic music edited to show like all these advanced ones, and people in the comments are saying things like be China do nothing win.
Speaker 3: I I have not seen those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's definitely dating me a little bit in terms of my social media diet. But yeah, just seeing the dynamic between China, or between the East and the West, the Orient and the occident, to use an older term, it's just another way that we've created this sort of boundary between people that either on one side or the other, there's a necessary tension between the two. You know. This concept of the orient and Orientalism is something that it would side identified famously as something that was constructed by the West as an exotic, irrational, decadent, and dangerous place. And so that whole dualistic narrative was then put into the imperial project to Legitimizeie domination and to position the East as a passive subject without a voice of their own and constant need of Western intervention and guidance. So this West becomes this sort of stage for modernity and science and region and progress, this whole idea of the protagonist of history and the orients the East. They're the primitive, I guess side of that binary. Although unlike the civilized primitive binary or civilized barbarian binary of old I think while there could have been racial components to it in the past, this one is more explicitly racial and geographic in its division, because I mean in ancient room, anybody could essentially become a Roman citizen. You know, it wasn't necessarily racially, you know, pure area and sense that a lot of new Nazis and stuff today like to look back at that period as you had a quieter diversity of phenotypes in the Roman Empire. Yeah, but you know, when you come to this orient and occident dichotomy, it's very much racialized. You know, a lot of times when people talk about the Western world, it really tends to be I guess a more politically correct way of saying the white wood. Yes, at least in my observation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely, that's often the subtext.
Speaker 2: Because I mean that's something I've always struggled with pinning down right, because why isn't Brazil considered part of the West? You know, why isn't Mexico considered part of the West?
Speaker 3: Right? What are we west of? Like?
Speaker 4: Like what it's not even it's not the western hemisphere like as you say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Western say is more straightforward, but is it because there are too many colored people? Yeah, in Mexico and in Brazil.
Speaker 4: It seems to be right, Like it's not even countries strongly either from Western Europe was strongly impacted by settler colonialism from Western Europe, because the entirety of Latin America is impact.
Speaker 2: And they should be included, but they're not.
Speaker 3: That they're not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and it yeah, it's I've always struggled with that one, other than get neoliberal capitalists white countries, it's it's what people don't want to say.
Speaker 2: And Japan sometimes yeah, yeah, Japan, strangely enough, yeah, yeah, an member of the club.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or like sometimes also not Spain. This is a particular like bug Bury guess of Spanish history.
Speaker 2: Really, I don't think I've seen that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for years, like literally you would be excluded from European history, like like Africa starts at the Pyrenees.
Speaker 3: It's a sort of phrase that that's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I guess it compounded because Spain was so isolated under Franco. Right, but like yeah, this they called it the black legend that like Spain does not belong to Europe and and it's not again it's racialized, right, it's because Spain had this exchange with the Muslim world, right, and like that that culture deeply impacted Spanish culture, and even after the Conquista, it's like it's like, you know, the French historians were just like, nah, you guys are tainted, like you you don't get to come back.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a similar sitribution with the territories the former Artsman Empire as well, technically part to Europe and yet you know, maligned in some way. Yeah, yeah, a little less than Still, it's like y'all have too much, too much Turkish to watch Muslim influence.
Speaker 4: You'all got a Yeah, you need like a thousand years to decompress before we let you back in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, honestly, if the Pope wasn't based in Italy, I'm sure Italy would have a similar dynamic. I mean, Italy is a recent construction right in terms of as a country. Ye, but only look at the two Sicilies, for example, that was under North African rule for a significant period of its history. But let me not get too far off track. One day. One more tangent, and that is I'm far from being a dentist by any means, or a maurist or anything of that show. But there is something to be said for the way that the East of the Orient has been sidelined, marginalized to treat it us lesser than for so long, and now they're at a point where their geopolitical sway has to be respected. Yeah, I'm not a rooting for them by any means. I'm not one of those people is like, yeah, multipolar world. I would rather we have no poles, you know, as an anarchist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I do know what you mean.
Speaker 2: But it's like it's a bit of shodding for it, I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is, you know, ironic in a but yeah, not necessarily in a good way. Like I've just seen Jijienping meeting with Minan Plang, the dictator of me and mar today, and I'm like, I'm not excited for that pole of the world.
Speaker 2: Not at all, not at all. Yeah. I feel the same way about the way that the Sahel Federation has kind of kicked out France. I'm like, yeah, stickets of France, but also military hunters, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, yeah, like the rebranded Wagner Core now.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and the collaboration close collaborations Russia. But you know, a lot of this thing is really a lot of these relationships, these geopidical relationships are so opportunistic. It's all opportunists on yeah, end of the day, they don't really they're not really necessarily guided by principles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like the difference I guess between like, for instance, I you know, I've been thinking a lot about anarchist at war, right, and people go and fight in other people's to depend other people, right, like like the people who went to Rajava to fight, people who went to Miama to fight. Like there's a difference between doing something out of a sense of solidarity and doing something out of root opportunism, and like that always shows itself in the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the work groups of involvement in Africa is the most blatant capitalist tra vun opportunism.
Speaker 4: These people are not there for the anti colonials that are like standing with the oppressed peoples of the world. Yeah, yeah, like watching the Battle of Algiers and setting off to immediately liberate the people of.
Speaker 2: Africa literal mercenaries, right yeah. Yeah, But getting back onto the main topic, talking about all these ways we divvy up the world. Out of the linguistic and cultural and geographical differences that we observe around us, came this concept of nations, right, nation as an idea also came out of the European imagine nation. It's commonly defined and it's USA worldwide today, But it's commonly defined as a large community of people who share common identity, often through language, culture, history, and sometimes ethnicity, then who usually inhabit a specific geographic territory with its own political organization. The comminations without states as simply a culturalmmunity force. People feel a collective long and then share that snee. But nations are as we know, mostly tied up with states today, hence nation being used as a synonym for country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one of my bug bears.
Speaker 4: I guess is an academic like I tried to develop this concept of Catalan nationalism that like at the time was inherently anti fascist. I think I was trying to be like, it ain't now like this it's a very Catalan right now. And yeah, I do still find it hard when people say nation is the the state, especially Americans, Like, it's very hard, right because state is like a subset of the state here, like the sort of military division of the federal state. So it can be hard to explain those differences.
Speaker 2: And as you mentioned, this sort of way that that Catalan nationalism has shifted. Really, I think gets to the whole weakness of the nation idea. So Benick Anderson famously called nations imaginedmmunities because the community exists as a collective fantasy. You know, they imagine a deep comradeship with people who they've never met. Yeah, and this fantasy has boundaries not just about who is included, but also famously who is excluded. And this fantasy is not necessarily something that is automatic or natural as we tend to see it today. But it's really the rise of things like print capitalism, with the mass production of books and newspapers, and that's what really shaped the standardization and formalization of these imagined communities, through the creation of like common cultural reference and a shared sense of history. Yeah. And then of course you had the nation idea of further being developed by liberal revolutions and through the shared experience of colonial rule. You know, we're subject populations with mobilized nationalism to claim self determination.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely like it.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I'm trying to remember borrowed this from someone, but the idea of like identity entrepreneurs is what I like. Like it's when religion loses its claim on universal truth, specifically in Europe. That's like a market for identity that is open. And the creation of nations is like, to my mind, like a bourgeois project, right Like, it's an entrepreneurial endeavor that they seek to create something, a benefit from it and like it. Yet to a degree that turned against them, it's still an entrepreneurial endeavor, right Like. Still, you could be creating a nation which wants to kick France out of Morocco, right that that nation may not have space for everyone who inhabits that territory of Morocco.
Speaker 3: Like, it's still it's a sort of for some people.
Speaker 2: Construct absolutely absolutely, I think the elite intellectual current of a nationalist movements can go under stated. You know, oftentimes what stirs up the masses toward that specific direction, because I mean, the masses will revolt against their conditions, but what sort of directs it in that national independence direction? And this concept of nation is tends to be that sort of you lead into actual current. I often look at the history of and Tobago as a reference point. See that's where I come from. The whole process of nation building is always ongoing, and we are in a position where there's an effort, there's a very strong efforts to both push for a nation building but also recognize our divergent pasts, you know, because we have this sort of almost equal in population Indo Trinadian and Afro Trianadian populations, and then a mixed population as well, and then you have some Chinese and Syria and Lebanese and Venezuela and and Filipino and all these different groups come into Trinidad, and because of that colonial past, their tensions is between those groups and things are still play out to this day. But while tensions are played out, there's also an effort to construct a unity through an allegiance to the nation of Trinan Tobago to create a sense of national identity, and as a very young country, it's still quite difficult to do. I can imagine, especially in the United States, it might have been a similar situation where you have all these different European populations and different populations from around the world who are in the US and there hasn't quite yet been a fully built up American identity yet, and so a lot of those tensions are still kind of playing out, and so it takes a couple of generations for there to be a sense of American identity that arises out of that. Yeah, definitely turnedad being one a younger colony and two only recently becoming independent in nineteen sixty two, it hasn't had enough time yet to, I suppose, develop that patriotism that America is so known for. And so you still see a lot of people who continue to have allegiance to the ancestry, to the heritage, even before they have any sort of sense of connection to the country. Concept of truingad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the American would have interesting because the people who did the American Revolution might often call themselves English right like. And it's this kind of post hoc nationalism that has applied, right like, they did begin constructing a nation, but after they after they gained the apparatus of the state, right like. And sometimes they'll talk about their freedoms in terms of English freedoms, which they themselves are not granted, right that they don't have the same freedoms as English people in England when they are a British colony. This concept of freedom they will elucidate like it, and like so much of it is based on like English common law, right, they didn't necessarily see themselves as distinct. That comes later. And like the US one is interesting because they have to develop this kind of civic nationalism much. I guess France does that two of course, but like France, probably the og there. But like this idea, like you've subscribed to these ideas. Therefore you're an American because they're like this, this nation constructed by people from all over Europe. For the most part, the phrasing is universal, but the implementation is not. Right, it's also a country where people own other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I mean, like I was saying earlier, it does help in our struggle for autonomy and independence from cluding on rule to have this construct the nation, right, but it also obscures a lot of the real material divisions in society, you know between the with in class and the elites. And so you have this national identity that is constructed by intellectual and you know, economic elites, and it's overlaid onto a population that does not really have us see in that construction. And so these nationalist projects will try to downplay or suppress differences in conflicts and as part of why nationalism so often lends itself to fascist well, because fascism is an outgrowth of this idea of nation where they promote this vision of national unity and stifle class conflict and create a collusion of classes that push us aside of people who don't fit within their concept of the nation.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I often think, like when I'm talking to my undergrads about nation, like the most distinct where I can say, is like the salient we through both space and time, right, Like it's the people you identify with, it's the us, And fascism weaponizes us against the rest of humanity or against us mostly like against escapegoat group who become them, right, and then like the nation is for us, the state is for us, it's not for them. Thus they must be exterminated exactly. Is an obvious outgrowth of nationalism.
Speaker 2: Hence xenophobia, hence anti semitism, anti blackness, anti indigeneity, all these prejudices. I mean, And that's the thing about nationalism. It's not necessarily consistent because you'll say, all people from this land, you know, we should desay to be united, except for those people who are also from this land. They don't get to come, you know, they are perpetual outsiders. They don't share the true culture. They'ren't part of our destiny. So even if they're legally citizens or legally a long term residents, or they haven't residents there for a long time the entire lives generations, or if the case may be, they don't count. They're outside forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they can never assent to like a sort of higher status of being one of us. British people like to mobilize this one a lot, right, Like you can be British.
Speaker 2: But you can never be English.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I forget who coined that coined the phrase cricket nationalism, but it's just particularly kind of ridiculous, Like, oh, if if there's a Test match between Britain and Pakistan and Britain and Trinidad Tobago, who do you support? Like is that, like are you really going to make that the core of your national identity? Like the cene qua non of being British is like which flag you take to the cricket match, Like it's particularly ridiculous and if it doesn't reflect exclusion, right, people aren't taking their flags to the cricket match because like that's the core of the entity. They're just like, yeah, well kind of I get treated differently because of my ethnic boundary, like makeup right ethnic presentation. So I guess you guys don't like me, so like they'll be funny when we kick your ass cricket, like it's the cause of arrow points in the wrong direction.
Speaker 2: I guess I can imagine I will not be bringing any flags to any cricket match because I don't attend cricket matches. I'm not too big of a fan of cricket.
Speaker 3: I can't be doing it.
Speaker 2: Stick to my football, and I say football in the international sense.
Speaker 4: Good, yeah, yeah, I can't stand around long enough to play cricket, to be honest.
Speaker 2: As we're talking about national liberation, these struggles often took place in the context of the Cold War, right, which is where we get this other sense of this other framework for divving up the world now. Growing up, I was always told that, you know, tran Tobago is a third World country. I had a social studies textbook, and I taught first world, second world, third world. But I didn't teach first world, second world, third world in the context of the Cold War, because I grew up in a post Cold War world, and these terms came from the Cool War but persisted after the Cold War. So what happened, I was taught we are third world because we are still developing. We're not at that intermediate stage development where we could say that the second world, and we're not at that first world level of development like America, right, And that's a smaller side for me. But I've always found it mildly irritating when I see people use this famous social media catchphrase or America is a third World country in a Gucci belt.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen now on the yet. That's annoying.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've seen similar sentiments, this idea, Oh, America's third world, American slid world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: Like, it's just annoying to me yet. So one, it completely divorces the concert of the third world from its actual origins and to it. Also, I think reflects that kind of a blindness to what's happened in the rest of the world, in the countries that are actually considered the third world, and the difference is between them, you know, for everything that we can express frustrations about in the US, anybody in the third world, I think, and I've when I when I've visited the US. I've seen it from my own eyes. You know, there's still things there that Americans might take for granted that are just not that would never be taken for granted in other contexts. And I see, of course the division see in America's version of the First World versus you know, some of the European Social Democracy's version of the First World. So I get that frustration, you know, the lack of free health care and that kind of thing, investment in infrastructure and all that. But let me just get into the background behind the tomb. Right as we step into the Cool War, you have this concept of the three world model that came after World War Two. The pre war status cool was over and you had new conflicts on the horizon. And so the film First World originally described the capitalist block led by the United States and Western Europe, where capitalist markets, liberal democracy, and economic progress was celebrated. And then you had the Second World block, which referred to the communist bloc led by the Soviet Union, where what I would consider state and centrally planned economies shape their societies. So in the First World they had countries like the US, Australia, Africa today might be shocking you know, Iran was even considered part of the First World Block during the Cool War. That might be shockinged now because when we think of some of these countries like, oh, those are Third World countries. Those are undeveloped countries. They aren't at the developed level of the West yet. But in the context in which the three World model originated, these were countries that explicitly aligned themselves with the policies of the United States and its allies as capitalist nations against the Soviet Bloc. And the Soviet Bloc you had, of course, countries like China and Vietnam, Laos, Ethiopia, Yemen, Huba, all these different countries align themselves explicitly with the Soviet Union. Then the Third World and where the third will concept came in was with all the countries that stood against picking aside. Yeah, a lot of these were former colonies and nations that chose not to side completely with either and to this whole concept, this whole idea of the non aligned movement. It really kicked off thanks to the joining of the Indian Prime Minister, the Kenaian President, the Indonesian President, and the President of the United Arab Republic alongside Yugoslavia, and so all these countries who all had very different economic arrange ones. Yugoslavia famously was kind of doing its own thing, compared to a lot of the other countries associated with socialism, India and Ghana, they were also kind of doing their own thing, kind of a mix Trancebagos also considered part of the non aligned movement. And so these classifications at the time, these were geopolitical and all political ideologies, not necessarily economic development. So technically speaking, the term shouldn't even be relevant US today. I mean, the Cold War of the twentieth century is over. But over time the narrative began to twist. You know, so because you didn't pick a side, you didn't pick the red team or the blue team, you didn't pick the first will of the Second World, this narrative developed where or you didn't pick a side, you're politically independent, so you're poor, you're chaotic, you're a failed state, all these different things. And of course there were incidents in part influenced of course by state actors in the US and state actors in the Soviet client block would have contributed to this outcome. But over time you get this sense of or the third world is failure. All these states were trying different paths of development, different approaches to governance from either of the two camps, mixed hybrid approaches, but in the end this just got them stuck with the label of underdevelopment and at having them being seen as last. Now today people don't use food world as much as they use developing, at least in you know, the more above board discourse. But that division also has its own implications, right, the developed countries versus the developing countries. It's kind of a softer sorts of version of the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of gentler, Yeah, the same shit.
Speaker 2: What those terms do implicitly, it's like, you know what, you're fish in water, so you can't recognize water. It's hard to recognize these things, these ideological impulses when we're submerged in them. If you take a step back, you realize, oh, these terms developed and developing they have very heavy implications. And the implication is that there's a single linear path to progress modeled after Western capitalism, that all societies are progressing towards through industrialization, through consumerism, through the ALMIGHTYGP growth and so development of your your underdevelopment becomes a tool of intervention. It becomes a way to mask imperial interests with the sort of the nair of oh, we're just kind of helping you out.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like we move from your savage you're a primitive, so you're just not developed yet. But theory will help you out. And that's how you get the whole sort of IMF and World Bank introductions of models of debts and policy conditions and metrics and all these different things to sort of shape these countries into client states, states that can be used to further Western development. The Cold War is technically over now, as I said, so I suppose we've reached the end of history, as the famous saying goes, but not exactly. In the early nineteen nineties, Samuel Huntington came up with a thesis to explain the conflicts that we define the post Cold War world and as we entered into the twenty fifth century, and so he argued that the future of global conflict would not be defined by competing ideologies or economic systems, but by cultural fault lines. In his nineteen ninety three article in Foreign Affairs, which Lates expanded into his nineteen ninety six book The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of the World Order, Huntington predicted that the primary source of conflict in a new era would be between distinct civilizations. His model would have pointed to clashes between the West and other groups Islamic nations, the Confucian East, and of course set up this sense that the West is this pinnacle of rationality and modernity, and all these others are in competition with the fantastic, amazing West. And I always like to call out some of these strange ways that he has divided the world. Right, So sub Saharan Africa is all grouped up into the African camp, all of North Africa, the Middle East, into West Asia, all of that is considered part of the Islamic civilization. Forget all the different between any of them. By the way, Indonesia it's also part of the Islamic block. You have the Sinic or the Confucian block that includes China, both Koreas, Taiwan, and Vietnam, except for the parts of China that are under the Buddhist camp, such as Tibet. So Tibet is kind of carved up on its own as its own camp. Mongolia is also under the Buddhist camp. Thailand and all these others in Southeast Asia considered part of the Buddhist camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you have the Latin American block, which is everybody part of Latin America and even people who are not technically Latin America and are kind of swept in there. And I'm going to be a by the base of the map that I saw on the Wikipedia article on this subject.
Speaker 3: Ye, I found that map.
Speaker 2: Now, it's some very bizarre divisions and ways to cut up this world. They have the Western world versus the Orthodox world, which includes Kazakhstan and Greece and Ukraine and Russia all under that civilizational banner. Yeah. The Philippines is somehow part Islamic, part Western, and part Sinic. It's a very unusual blend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then he's just got like Japan it's just hanging out there by itself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, especially pan It's kind of it's a one thing. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It just literally says Japanese. I've forgotten about that. And then he goes on to freak out about like the like Latin world as he sees it, like fucking dividing the United States, right, Like in his his is it called like who we are or where we are or something? His book about migration in the United States. M it was after clash of civilizations he wrote this book about like how the like I think I don't quite remember how he terms it, Like does he use Latino or Hispanic or something else, but like that that that population increasing in the United States will like divide the to day too, too fundamentally opposed civilizations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he has some interesting compulsions. Yeah, and unfortunately his thesis found its voice following the events of nine to eleven partitions and media. These people were taking his ideas to kind of justify the war and terror that would unfold. It also creates sort of cultural device that settle into place at home will not create, but shape those cultural divides as you create the sense of oh, if there's if we're experiencing a clash of civilizations right now, then this flood couldn't quote of people from another civilization is a threat to the invasion. It's something that needs to be targeted and fought against. And so in a sense, his class civilizations is kind of a repackaging of a lot of the binaries and divisions we've spoken about before. You have elements of nationalism, you have elements of civilized versus warber, the evelements of East and West, the Cold War dichotomies. All of that kind of comes together in this neat package. Finally, we enter the twenty first century, and they are two very popular ways that we now categorize the world. People tend to use the phrases Global North and Global South as a softer or more politically correct alternative to develop developing or foods in third world. It's considered less loaded, more neutral sounding, and it's originally popularized via UN frameworks and the brand line, which is done in nineteen eighty, which drew a literal line across the globe, separating the wealthier North from the poorer South. To be clear, though, despite the geographical language, it's not literally about hemispheres. Australia is considered part of the Global North and Mongolia is considered part of the Global South. But generally speak in the global salth refus to the post Coulnar regions and the global North refus the wealthy, industrialized trees of the world. To me, again, it's not really a flawless framework. It has all the same binaries and smoothing over of complexities of internal class divides between for example, ritually it's in the global South and poor communities in the North. It gives impression that entire countries share unified class experience, I think. I think it also has the potential to obscure inequality between South South relations. So yes, two countries may both be a part of the Global South, but there could be a massive power differential between them that you know, sets them up for interventions and equal treaties and also sort of different sorts of medline. For example, Saudi Arabia, at least in one map that I saw, is considered part of the Global South. But as we know, Saudi Arabia is famous first medland across Africa and the Middle East. It's interventions, it's financing of the conflicts across the region. Now I get why the term is used. It creates a sense of shared struggle, especially in anti imperialist and climate justice spaces. But I think it has weaknesses, you know, and how we constructlidarity.
Speaker 3: On that basis, yeah, very much too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the other and final system that I wanted to mention that has gained popularity these days. Is world systems theory, which is actually older than class civilizations. It came out of Immanuel Wallastein's work during the Cold War, and he kind of stood out and said that he was rejecting the three world system and the simplistic country by country development models. Instead he created this world systems theory that saw capitalism as a single global system, not a patchwork of individual national economies. So the focuses on labor roles, on commodity flows, and on power concentration. And I think in an even more globalized world it makes the most sense to the wallaceteine. They have three differ and zones of the global economy. You have the core, which as you know, have strong states, financial capital, tech heavy industries controlled with global institutions, and they tend to exploit the labor and resources of the periphery, while exports and high value goods and debt structures, and the periphery of the countries that tend to have weaker institutions, extractive or career economies, reliance and export and raw materials, debt defendency and structural adjustment policies, and they often dump in grounds for pollution waste and arms from the global North. The semi periphery are then considered under his model, the countries that mediates between the core and the periphery. These are industrializing economies with mixed labor and capital exports. They sometimes exploit others while being exploited themselves, and these include countries like Brazil, India, Mexico, Turkey, and South Africa. And they tend to save as the buffers as stabilize the system while chasing core status. I think this model is very dynamic. It could be more dynamic, but it does have the capacity to highlight the systemic interdependence of this glocal system, that one region's wealth is contingent on another's dispossession. It makes it very useful for understanding that, you know, poverty is not something that just happens, it's nan is very clearly structured and developed by the wealth of the North. And I think also with the corporate free model, you see the sense of a one way flow where value and labor goes from the periphery to the core. But there is another direction that flow goes right because the migrants from the periphree they go to the core. They fill precurious rules and core economy is like care work and agriculture and logistics, and so they almost become an important periphery within the core, and their absence from the periphree also deprives the periphree. Hence the phenomenon of brain drain, where people are sipher the way as label and the and the educated population tends to leave, you know, their countries of origin. But I'm saying it's not just a one way flow, because you also have that sense of diaspora and diasporic networks that kind of reverse the flow. Remittances for some countries can be a significant chunk of their national income. I think the Philippines is a classic example of this. Some of the Caribbean countries, either historically or presently, we're very dependent on remittances from their diasporic populations sending money back home. Lebanon is another example of Salvador is another example. They become a key part of the national GDP. That sort of relationship of my creatia. Yeah, but I think what I want to do with this corporate free model or this corefree SEMIPI free model is expanded and one of the ways that I found very useful to do so comes from fellow podcaster shout out to Elia j Ayube. Yeah, I read it. Article of is that was on the anarchist libraries called the periphery has no time for binaries. This very crucial point, and I quote, we are as peripheral to the global soult regimes crushing us as they are perceived to be by the Western think tanks and foreign ministers who view their imagined space as the center of the world. China and Russia and Iran are peripheral to the West, and any and all activists in China and Russia and Iran are peripheral to their governments. So I kind of like this sense of not just looking on the country level, but looking at particular populations, populations within countries the relationships between them, bringing in that class dynamic Yeah, routine populations more prominently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like if you look at the like the example I'm familiar with, relate like the Cold We could look at Kurdistan or Mienma, right, there are ethnic groups within that country that are subject to colonialism by the core groups within that country, right, like asad Arab belt for the Bama majority, using classic colonial divide and rule tactics right now against the hinder in the MMR. And like, I think it doesn't make sense to see that whole country is peripheral, right, Like that binary doesn't function when like the salient colonial violence happening, especially in the MMA, is happening within the ANMA, but it doesn't make any less salient. And like the experience in colonialism is still violent. And if we only use this state level binary, we will totally miss.
Speaker 2: That exactly exactly, And I think it's important to be clear. Obviously I've rejected a lot of these frameworks in covering them. You won't see me using the civilized primitive binary anytime soon. But some of these concepts can be useful. You know. They do shape the way that we view the world, how we see ourselves the imperfect, of course, but because they're trying to map on reality and reality is a shifting beast. But I think it's good to have some sense of or some language to understand the inequality and podynamics present in the world. So we can reclaim these free mooks, so we can reject them. You know, we could use them for solidarity or for division. But the question I want to leave us with the wrap of this episode is how do we build a world where these divisions are no longer descriptive or relevant? And that's all I have for today? Or power to all the people. Peace.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it Could Happen Here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.