Speaker 1: Nicholas Cage has been been every version of a person in Hollywood. He's been a joke, he's been a fraud, he's been somebody we we treated like an idiot.
Speaker 2: But he's always been white. We haven't seen him switching.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen like So I would like that. I would like that quite a bit.
Speaker 3: I think Tyler Perry can make that happen. Nicholas Cage, Tyler Perry, I think, and.
Speaker 4: I think together for evil.
Speaker 3: I think I think two we can make it happen anyway.
Speaker 1: Racist money, actually many turn stuff.
Speaker 4: I can't tell me, so I creep. Yeah, I just keep it on the download because no one else is supposed to know. Welcome to Mama's and gentiles alike to another phenomenal episode of My Mama Told.
Speaker 1: Me the podcast What We Died, deep deep into the pockets of black conspiracy theories, and.
Speaker 4: We finally worked to prove that Andre three thousand has lost a couple of those numbers is Andre twenty six forty two? After that flute ship, my name is David ford Man.
Speaker 1: I don't like hearing it, but I'm like stick German.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that I exaggerated the number of the amount of numbers he lost.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, it's like it's like it's in like that twenty.
Speaker 4: Three eighty nine. He's good, he's yeah, and I just don't like flutes. That's nice.
Speaker 1: I think he's I think he's still only lost a few points.
Speaker 4: But but it is you.
Speaker 1: You just want that rap album, baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, someday, someday, I feel like a Trump presidency if it pushes us to a new three thousand album. Finish what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, finish your sentence four days, four days. And you're like, this ain't so bad.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I've already resigned to it.
Speaker 1: Man, this man's not even in the Oval office again yet.
Speaker 4: And you're like, I will be all right, We'll call the bright side.
Speaker 1: We can't. We can't delete or dally anymore than we already have. Our guest today is in studio with us. She's phenomenal, a dear friend, an artist, a comedian, a a a unit.
Speaker 2: To do it, but so much more.
Speaker 1: She she's a she's a dear friend. We're so happy she's here. Give it up for Sydney washing to everybody.
Speaker 2: You know black man won an intro.
Speaker 3: I mean, no credits, just she's a person's funny.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 1: We love all vibes over here.
Speaker 2: So I have So you don't like the fluke, I'm not. Uh, you're not here for the flu.
Speaker 4: I don't have discerning a taste enough to understand how good it is.
Speaker 2: I think, really, So that's a that's a that's a you thing.
Speaker 4: That's what I said. It's you know, I'm not a flu guy. It doesn't mean he's not expanded.
Speaker 2: No, he's already expanded. Baby, he did it.
Speaker 4: So he left us, you know, And I'm hurt, and I'm just a bitter a yeah.
Speaker 2: A bitter ax. He's doing better than you, babe. He's working hard.
Speaker 1: The way you're going hard for this suggests to me that you did like the flute album that.
Speaker 3: You But it's all about elevation. You have to elevate. You have to be a taste maker. You can't be doing what everybody else is doing because they're doing it.
Speaker 2: You understand.
Speaker 3: If if everybody is on the train rapping for dollar bills, Andre is like, no, no, no, I don't want to be associated without flutes.
Speaker 2: I don't see flutes everywhere.
Speaker 4: It implies that he's not competitive liked he's still rapping better than all the people for dollars.
Speaker 2: We've moved on. We've done you moved on. Yes, I don't like it because I don't have your ear for it.
Speaker 4: That's what I said.
Speaker 2: You know what, I just Christopher Columbus, your whole ship. How does it feel feel a white man?
Speaker 4: Yes, my shirt doesn't mean there's one in my world? Why did you direct that? A means I was fired?
Speaker 2: Was yere to dismantle this brotherhood?
Speaker 1: And it's working.
Speaker 4: In and of itself? What were united? We got pictures on our shirt, stronger than we've ever been.
Speaker 3: It hurts to see this like you Obviously, y'all are really good at whatever you're doing, and.
Speaker 2: I have to support it. So I think.
Speaker 1: I think by whatever you're doing you mean talking to niggas at the mall. Excuse me, man, you think you could pull this off and he could shut out?
Speaker 4: It looks good Je Romero and them all. I don't know the name.
Speaker 2: Of how much it cost enough.
Speaker 1: This don't come cheap, sweetheart. You're gonna want that podcast to get at least a few more episodes than clearly, if I want to start buying shirts.
Speaker 4: I'm a bill Will Ferrell for this.
Speaker 2: This is absolutely invoice andre As Well.
Speaker 4: It feels like you were on my side and then I lost it for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Okay, we enough, a goddamn enough. We have a conspiracy that you brought. You brought to us. Uh no more than than two hours ago. You said I have a conspiracy. This is something I believe passionately. And we broadened that conspiracy a little just to be able to open this conversation up. But you said, my mama told.
Speaker 2: Me Tyler Perry is the devil.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and specifically Cecily Tyson died to get out of her contract with him.
Speaker 2: Wow, the new death row.
Speaker 5: Okay, if you don't want me all addressed, hidden people with your Yeah, that has a gun in it.
Speaker 1: Listen, niggas down the stairs and they wheel chair.
Speaker 3: Got Janet Jackson in a curly, wet and wavy crying.
Speaker 4: That a good cry though about her husband on the down load.
Speaker 2: So you're doing but that is another movie, that's all. That's not.
Speaker 1: Janet did multiple that's.
Speaker 2: For that was for Colored Girls that I considered suicide.
Speaker 1: That's but she did multiple Yes, Yeah, all the.
Speaker 2: Day I think, why did I get married?
Speaker 1: Well, I knew she did multiple. Why did I get married? I didn't know that. She then also extended into like the multi verse of Tyler Perry.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I think that's how you do it.
Speaker 3: That's how you do You don't just do. If you do one thing, you're bad. That means you're not useful.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: But some people sober up to it to some extent, Like Taraji did one. She's not going back to talk.
Speaker 4: Did you do more than one? Was it? Just like I can do bad all by I.
Speaker 1: Think she only did that. I can do bad, but all by myself. I could be wrong. But even if she did Idris it's another example. Yeah, I fucked around over here for a second, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: Do Daddy's Little Girl. Yeah, that wasn't That wasn't terrible.
Speaker 4: That was The issue is not the quality of the movie. Some of them I really like.
Speaker 3: Really, that's it's not the quality. Yeah, I already I'm gonna already say.
Speaker 4: I consume some of those movies like junk Food. It's just like it's not there's no yeah yeah yeah, in small doses though, it feels good, you know what I mean, Like it's just like there's no major problems. It's just rich black people running around. Oh that's interesting. That's like I like that.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 4: I'm cool with. You don't see them in the comedies, not in the ones where it's like but you. You don't see them in any way.
Speaker 1: Like morally corrupt or sort of like harmful.
Speaker 4: The characters within the movie. Yeah, not more so than like I see anybody in any other movie, Like I don't are.
Speaker 2: You Are you? Are you all the way awake when you're watching this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you conscious?
Speaker 4: It's like it's like, yeah, it's like, if you're feeling down, you just watch like a funny, happy movie.
Speaker 2: If you're feeling down, you put on Tyler Perry.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of movies. Yeah, there's a couple of movies Watch.
Speaker 2: Do You Have a Therapist? In between?
Speaker 4: It's a movie.
Speaker 2: Silent Perry Perry.
Speaker 4: He says, Hello, I'm just saying it's a big there's a big market for it. The reason I think He's the Devil is not the actual movie. WHOA, Okay, I think it's the U the labor practices to really kind of get to me, okay, like not being union and stuff like that in an industry where like the standard is to work unions, so it's like you're already putting the people work with you like a little bit of a disadvantage, right, And then it's like so it's like you build this thing that is massive and does give a lot of jobs, and that's very important, but you make it so that these people are tied to you in a way. Yeah, if you were getting if you were allowing people to bounce over here and here and here and get money and that was cool, then it makes sense. But now it feels like if you're keeping a stable it feels like you're not allowing people to grow.
Speaker 1: I know a few barbers who have like dipped in and out of like the Tyler Perry space, and all of them sort of like in a weird way, it gets sort of like, uh, like, no, I'm not going back over there or over there. I gotta really be down to be over there, because that's you. You're working crazy hours, you're sort of being manipulated in this space. And then I think they're they're expecting a commitment that you can't like back out of easy, you.
Speaker 3: Know, because it's like again, it's that thing about like exposure. You're like, well, I'm in this, so this is actually going to help me. And then after a couple of rounds of it, you're like, wait, I'm still a bartender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm a well known bar.
Speaker 3: People know me, but I still have to bartend on the side because I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't make everything ends me.
Speaker 1: I also think where it gets complicated is to your point, the stink that it puts on you once you do become a little bit of a Tyler Perry person, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, did we see maximum Allen Payne potential?
Speaker 4: Wow? This is you? You was just the third time, second time we talked about Alan paid the week. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You mean you mean Jason's lyric, the Alan Paine. He was a great He was in everything.
Speaker 4: He was everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was in every six he was making. He was lot that curl pattern. We don't see that kind of curl pattern, and.
Speaker 4: It was he was.
Speaker 1: He was a clearly black man with a natural curl. This nigga had it all.
Speaker 4: You would have I would have bet the house. Yeah, I would have bet the house.
Speaker 1: And he and he sunk his fucking ship over there. What happened. Do you know what I mean, give us back Alan Payne, Tyler Perry or what.
Speaker 2: Oh wait was it was it Tyler Perry?
Speaker 3: Or that it was just like Alan Payne had got type cast so many times were like we didn't seen this song and dance.
Speaker 4: But that is a difficult thing, right if you get typecast that much. Yeah, but you don't grow to a level where it's unanimous that people know you're that you kind of can't work in that forever.
Speaker 1: But I'll challenge you all. I will challenge you on this because because on the flip look at bokem woodbind who came who went through it had like this heightened moment where he was sort of typecast as this like crazy eyed villain and ship, but then took a break and came back, came back chubby and now has had a whole new career. Do you know what I mean? As older he was, he did Fargo, which was amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said, and they said that was the best part of the movie.
Speaker 1: Listen, bokem Woodbine is the best. But he never went over there. And That's what I'm saying is that maybe there's a world where Alan Payne finds his true detective moment.
Speaker 2: We got to put him in the A twenty four.
Speaker 3: I think some people, or once you get in mainstream, you have that opportunity to do all things like bad good things that you're like, why are you even a part of this? But certain specifically black people, once you get into that little corner, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's all you have.
Speaker 3: Like Glenn Close, she was in Deliverance. I'm coughing because I can't even catch I can't even breathe. The work that she did in that movie one, I was like, Oh, She's like, I've done everything that I need to do. I have ascended to the point of let's play, let's have fun.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'll learn some patois.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now now the wigs. The wigs were not by Tyler Perry in that movie. Glenn Close almost was like, is she by Rachel? She was giving Rachel jose All a run for her funness? I'm gonna say that on air.
Speaker 1: As somebody who has not seen the movie, I assure you she is not.
Speaker 2: She is.
Speaker 1: I looked at all them clips y'all were posting, and I was sober when I you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like y'all were.
Speaker 1: Y'all were enthralled, so you were bought into the whole experience as somebody who did not experience it. I was like, this looks insane.
Speaker 3: No, she said nappy pussy on in the movie, and I said, We're gone.
Speaker 2: She's gone, She's like, but they were.
Speaker 3: Every everybody black was like, she's got to win a Golden Globe for this.
Speaker 1: And everybody white was like, what are you talking?
Speaker 2: Is she unwell?
Speaker 3: Is her?
Speaker 2: Where is he? Is it the braids? Is it the braids? That's what the white people were saying with Glenn.
Speaker 3: But Glenn has done it all. She has proven herself, so she can do it. But once you get into the I feel like Tyler Perry Rome, it's kind of wrapped up.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the scary part, right is that?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: Even that movie? I don't it's not a Tyler Perry production.
Speaker 2: It's Lee Daniels, which is the cousin the cousin of Tyler Perry.
Speaker 1: I think there, I think, and I don't disagree with you. I think Lee Daniels is certainly Tyler Perry junior.
Speaker 2: Yes, he would love to.
Speaker 1: Be Tyler Perry in some former fashion that said, I think Lee Daniels still they let Lee Daniels do too much, you know what I mean, in the legitimate spaces where they gave him oscars and nominations.
Speaker 3: And he is first of all. We have to no, let's not be anti black. These brothers have done.
Speaker 2: Some good work.
Speaker 3: There have been some things, I know, Dave, I'm sorry they have done. Really, they've been some pieces where you're like, you know what this is?
Speaker 1: Give me uh and maybe we should take the break. This is a good way for us to go on break. I think this will be fun. When we come back. We're gonna unpack some projects that we think are defendable for Tyler Perry and or Lee Daniels. We'll talk through the ones that we think are truly defendable, and we'll talk about why. But we'll come back and we'll be back with more Sydney Washington and more.
Speaker 4: Ma Mama told me we are back discussing our favorite Tyler Perry movies. Oh god, I don't know that that was the assignment at all. Had to tweak it because your parameters weren't working.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think what it should be is more this question. If we're talking about these figures as evil rights, as sort of spawn of Satans, as is sort of implied here. I think we should be careful to remind ourselves which pieces at least hold some value for the greater good society, that it's less about whether or not that we like them, and more do they actually benefit the larger world around us?
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna go first, Yeah, so precious that Okaylee Daniels.
Speaker 2: That was probably the most controversial.
Speaker 1: And that's Tyler Perry production.
Speaker 3: Everybody was revolved, they had everybody, they had there.
Speaker 1: Carrie showed up movie.
Speaker 3: I watch it and I say, yes, this definitely gives sun Dance this gift.
Speaker 2: It's indie.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is like it's it feels like low budget but in such an artistic way that I'm like, I can appreciate this.
Speaker 2: Now. The masses, the.
Speaker 3: Masses watching this, this this story from the book Push.
Speaker 2: It was It was hard. It was so hard. And that and Monique playing that.
Speaker 3: Mother so well to the point where like, do like Monique?
Speaker 2: Do we like her?
Speaker 3: I almost think that people weren't on her side because they almost thought you are that mother that was in you were touching.
Speaker 2: Your daughter like that. That's how That's how controversial the movie was.
Speaker 3: That everybody was playing the role so well that you're like, this might be their real lives. Riah carry Riah carry rough Draft, Mariah Carey.
Speaker 2: That was alarming. It was alarming.
Speaker 3: And they threw on the beauty supply wig and they said, go, yeah, a little bit of concealer.
Speaker 2: But she was great, incredible.
Speaker 1: I love this as an answer because I similarly felt all of those things in seeing the film in theaters. You went in theater theater and I had my sisters with me. I swear to God, because I was like, this is gonna be like a beautiful film of empowerment for for them to see, like this big girl who overcomes and like figures out a way to move forward. You didn't read the book and truly was just haunted by the experience, And so I asked this because I agree with you. I felt all those things. But how much of that was just a weird stacking of awful on top of awful and not really a human experience to make us better?
Speaker 3: Well, t I had a friend in it, Zosha, and I think this.
Speaker 2: Was her first big role. She killed it.
Speaker 3: I was like, so there, I'm being honest, I'm there supporting, I enjoy, right, But then.
Speaker 2: It is somebody's story, so should we not?
Speaker 1: But it's not somebody's story that, you know what I mean? Like parts of this are somebody's story. The experience of abuse is somebody's story. The experience of you know, being overweight and like the challenges of being poor is somebody's story. The experience of getting AIDS is somebody's story. But all of those combined into this single person, you know what I mean, Like it was just this shit.
Speaker 2: You don't think all that stuff can happen. Yes, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: This is somebody's story. If you're listening and this is your story, I need you.
Speaker 1: If if you're listening and this is your story, please stop listening to this. Go seek help now, because you have so much going on that you don't have time to dilly or dally with podcasts. Truly, this is that's She was pregnant and didn't know she was pregnant. She was being assaulted by her mama and or daddy. She was Mariah Carey was trying to or was trying to save her, but then they had Yes, Yes.
Speaker 3: I be on TikTok all day all night, that is somebody's story. The way people be just diarrhea of the mouth, just telling their business, they mama business, they cousin's cousins, and bad after bad after bad. I mean, I don't even turn on the TV no more because people are telling us our problems.
Speaker 1: I guess, I guess less than me saying it's impossible for anybody to experience this. I'm saying, there's a point where it stops being any version of universal. Okay, it just starts being a singular, fucked up story that nobody. It doesn't belong to black people. It doesn't belong to brown people. That bitch's life sucks, Peerish says. I'm just saying, And there's some people in this building that also have stories that are closer to like a universal experience. And I wonder about the act de porn. Even though for for me a person watching it, it worked, I was like, Holy shit, this this motherfucker's crazy.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about Monsters Ball?
Speaker 1: WHOA?
Speaker 2: What about that Holly.
Speaker 3: Berry won it won, that won that award, won that Golden Ticket?
Speaker 1: And this movie, it's worth noting Monsters Ball, you said, is a Lee Daniels production. Yes, right, Okay, thoughts.
Speaker 3: I mean she is getting banged out by Billy Bob Thornton. Not a drop of makeup, not a comb going through the hair.
Speaker 2: Did He's in it? He's in it.
Speaker 1: It's actually, I think one of his first serious roles, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: Honestly, he ate he ate he was in jail.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: He was on death row. Baby. The way the art work, it's always like.
Speaker 4: He was on death row.
Speaker 1: And they never told us why either.
Speaker 2: He did not know. They're just like, yeah, he.
Speaker 4: Did, so he was.
Speaker 1: He was acting up the leg it wa'.
Speaker 2: Let was in it. Amazing.
Speaker 3: Wow, alright, p shout out to him. I'm a him in real life and sweet sweet sweet guy. Okay, yeah, gave good tip to Okay, yeah, yeah, that's good.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 2: Some people like to speak ill of the dead, not me.
Speaker 1: Sydney came on here and so far his only defended white men.
Speaker 4: But yo, whoa.
Speaker 2: Cameras dead ass?
Speaker 3: Couldn't be like, no, sare you? You've been dragging Bax left and right, all.
Speaker 2: Dark skinned mind you, that's my style.
Speaker 1: You, on the other hand, are selling your people out.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I enjoyed the rawness of it again, Like if this was like an eight twenty four production, we'd be like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it did get all the love, right. It's another example of one I think it won. Well, she won the Oscar for it, certainly. I think it's just like a lot of films where we sober up to what the fuck we watched three years ago?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean saying it won then, but it wouldn't It wouldn't hold up right now.
Speaker 1: Crash won the Oscar for Best Picture and is now like people laugh at the idea that Crash was now.
Speaker 2: I didn't like the invisible cloak. He tried to cheat me.
Speaker 4: You don't.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, hold up, they're dragging Crash.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The people don't like Crashing. Come because it starred Ludacris, that.
Speaker 2: He was in Fast Furious.
Speaker 4: They loved that, guys.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that Luda didn't do a fine job. I'm saying that you don't give a Ludacris film best picture.
Speaker 2: Then Tate was in it.
Speaker 3: They had everybody your name Mama and Crash talking about Sandra Bullock. Yeah, the patient queen, you know who, Samuel Bullock, you.
Speaker 1: Know, the only other type of movie that does movies like that where everybody's in it is like them shitty movies where it's like Valentine's dad.
Speaker 4: Came.
Speaker 3: Ryan Philippe was in it. Yeah, it was too many.
Speaker 1: Big names for you to be managing a good story, so then you just play.
Speaker 3: It was like in a in a cheesy way, they were making their points. Yeah, but then we found out that people who wrote it were white. So that's what that's what fucked us up. That's what it was, which.
Speaker 4: Is why you pick lud and then you look at it as a whole. Yeah, it did just that, No, just what you thought they would do.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so Monsters Ball is a defendable for you. Precious is a defendable.
Speaker 2: For I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't mad at the movie Holly Berry winning the Oscar for it. I was like, damn, why we gotta be down and out to win? But they do that for everybody either you got it.
Speaker 2: What's her name? Charlista ron? She she had to get ugly and murder niggas, like you know.
Speaker 1: I think the only difference is they can also escape through like musicals.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean? That?
Speaker 1: Like Chicago? What's the la one that they no no no. Although A Star is Born is another good example. It's not quite it is a musical to some extent, but the one where they're la la land uh. Those they can be joyful, they can be not like look like shit.
Speaker 3: And when Leonardo DiCaprio was in Everything, they didn't give him that award until he got raped by bear.
Speaker 2: So you know what, maybe the Academy is just doing everybody wrong. Actually it's one for one.
Speaker 4: It's like that.
Speaker 1: That's what you think happened with that bear.
Speaker 2: That's what I saw what it looks.
Speaker 3: Am I wrong? When they said when they said would you rather be trapped in the forest with a bear or a man?
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, which bear?
Speaker 3: Because I bear in the movie with you.
Speaker 4: He's gonna take it.
Speaker 1: That bear got him. I remember just learning what the premise of that movie was and thinking, damn, this is give this man the award, and.
Speaker 2: They did, and they did.
Speaker 3: He I think he he read the script and said, you know what, it's time.
Speaker 2: It's time.
Speaker 3: Now I got a lock in. He said, Goro to death in Titanic, right, this is a different it's a different type of death.
Speaker 2: I'm not dying I'm not dying, I'm living Jack Jack.
Speaker 1: Her sweet voice.
Speaker 4: Okay, here's what I said. Okay, here we go, and looking at the full Tyler Perry filmography.
Speaker 1: Well okay, and it's worth noting she only defended Lee, didn't. Yeah, she brought nothing to the table for Tyler. Tyler so far as indefensible for you?
Speaker 4: Is that true?
Speaker 3: Why did I get married? I fucked with that heavy. I thought that was valid and into.
Speaker 2: And mah two.
Speaker 3: I said, I don't know if we need this, but I heard it was doing a Why Why did I get married?
Speaker 2: Three? And that's why Sisily was like.
Speaker 4: And then she died.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: She was like, I'm tired.
Speaker 3: Because Tyler said I paid Cecily a million dollars for one day of work, and she was like, wait, why are you telling them about my business? Because he was trying to let her know, Hey, you're gonna have to work some other day.
Speaker 2: We got more and we got for you.
Speaker 1: That million was an advance. Yeah, you got work to do.
Speaker 4: I dad, throw we gotta shoot season forty of Sisters?
Speaker 2: Who are we going to hell? But Tyler, it's only been out three years? Olena, how wish he was back? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think that, uh, I'll take why did I get married? Just in the idea of just a romantic comedy. I don't think it detracts anything from art or the conversation or anything like that, Okay, because I do think that, like when we're talking about him as a whole and like his output, I don't think it needs to be He doesn't have to be a twenty four to be worthy of existing in the space, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's always been my issue with it, right, is it's not that I'm expecting him to be.
Speaker 4: And we're he isn't even the right word. I just mean, like, it doesn't have to be bad that style. But I guess that's my point is I don't need it to be some high art. I just needed to hold itself to some standard.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Like Adam Sandler movies. I don't like all of them. I don't like honestly most of them, but every single one of them, I go, Oh, Adam really thought this was funny, do you know what I mean? He really believed in like whatever this configuration of funny people and jokes was, and he put it out believing that it was going to serve an audience, whereas like Tyler, I don't think gives a fuck, but it does.
Speaker 4: Degrees in what he does. No, I don't. I don't mean that. Some of the stuff is like definitely just put together and rushed out. But some of them you could tell. It's like he wanted this to be a good film, right, Like he wanted to yeah, and it served his audience.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying that that that's the violence, is to put out the rush shit knowing you had more potential for a quality film even as you see it, right, like, even if it's not objectively quality, you knew, like, all right when I put this out, I stand on that.
Speaker 3: If what if Tyler Perry is ahead of the curve and he said, these audiences they're pretty bad, So what are we spending.
Speaker 2: Years together and throw it out there. They don't watch it. They're gonna pay money, they're gonna go.
Speaker 4: Well, you look at it that way, and honestly, Genie, right, if you look at it that way, well.
Speaker 3: It's just like comedians right now, stand up comedians posting clips.
Speaker 2: You're like, that joke's not done, that needs some tags. Whatever.
Speaker 3: It's like, what are we waiting for put it And sometimes the stuff that's the most unfinished gets the most viral moments. So that Tyler Perry is, oh.
Speaker 1: Want to know you want to stand up while you say it, let's go with your hand on your heart?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is about that? Stand up?
Speaker 3: Comedians took a note from Tyler Perry and they say put it out.
Speaker 1: But I think that's what where I start to go, like, yeah, but that is a greater destruction of the world, right, yes, because I do think the deterioration of art is like a fundamental reflection of like what's happening in the larger world around.
Speaker 4: Us doesn't necessarily mean good.
Speaker 1: Still, No, he's an innovator for sure, Like he really broke ground on some vile, vile ship.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, and that's.
Speaker 3: Yet what we know how it's done. You're like, oh, sir, how much? Tell me what the prescription is.
Speaker 1: But but even even the idea that you have, like all these shoots happening constantly on this large property that you're not doing multiple takes on that you're not even fucking like you know, you're not there, Sidney, what.
Speaker 2: Do we what game are we playing? I just want to hear a fact.
Speaker 4: That's the whole boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not allowed to see it because they're doing crazy ship with these these people whose lives that will never come.
Speaker 3: Back, these people, black people. Don't you say, these people.
Speaker 1: These dumb dumbs trapped in a cave.
Speaker 2: I can't now. Your hairline is nice.
Speaker 1: Don't push you back, Alan fucking Pain.
Speaker 3: You don't mean if you If you love Alan so much, I want you to get his tattoo, Get a tattoo, Alan Allen.
Speaker 1: I just miss him.
Speaker 2: He's alive. Is he find him on Instagram?
Speaker 1: I bet he got a different instrugra.
Speaker 2: He said that Pain fucked him up.
Speaker 1: I bet it's at Alan Tyler Payne dot.
Speaker 3: There was a there was a new movie recently, not recently, but like earlier this year that Tyler Perry made with Kelly Rowland Mia Coppola.
Speaker 2: And I watched it. Yeah, I watched it. Was it terrible?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Was it amazing?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it, and that sometimes we just need something that we could put our eyes on, take us out of the moment.
Speaker 1: But again, I think the point is less that he can't do it. I don't think my suggestion is everything he's ever made has been a violent violation Daddy's little girls.
Speaker 2: I like, I was like, oh, that's cool.
Speaker 1: It's not I'm not offended by this.
Speaker 3: It just is you just you want to do things that you want things made that and offend you.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying, i want there to be a standard of quality so that we're not getting clips of a dude getting punched in the face and spinning a full three sixty and saying as he falls down. I'm saying I want the I want a billionaire who owns literally half of Atlanta to invest in quality wigs and that not to be part of the conversation. I want to explore the world beyond mister Brown.
Speaker 2: Cant everything that he's saying right now.
Speaker 1: I want a real story that you believe in every time, because you have the resources and frankly, you present to us to be this healer of our community. So put the effort in to show us that love every single time.
Speaker 3: So once you say once all that done is Tyler Langston will be right on that motherfucking lot.
Speaker 2: That's what he's trying to tell you. Get your money.
Speaker 1: When buddy, when I run out, I'll come be a slave.
Speaker 2: A part of it.
Speaker 1: Slave away with me.
Speaker 2: This is really just it's ending pro Tyler Perry, which is that's how you know it.
Speaker 1: No, I want to be clear. I'm I could not be more anti Tyler Perry. You too are pro Tyler Perry. For me, I am the exact opposite. I think he's the worst.
Speaker 2: I'm pro.
Speaker 3: You know, we should be able to be as messy and ridiculous and unprofessional as everybody else in his business, and we're not. We're not allowed to and Tyler Perry is doing that and so therefore.
Speaker 2: But he's what he But it.
Speaker 3: Also is like bad because, like you said, there's so many people who are trapped in this circle of Perry production.
Speaker 1: I just dream of a day when we don't have to hold ourselves to the standard of the worst white person.
Speaker 2: I didn't say white. Now you said white, Well it was I said the industry. I said, I said the industry. I feel like we are. You almost said Jewish.
Speaker 4: With you.
Speaker 2: I did not say that.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is we always have to do black excellence, black excellence. We gotta have autocrests, we gotta we've got to go to school for we have to be so about this life and it's just like that's that's not how art is made.
Speaker 2: All the time. We didn't go to n y U, we didn't go to Juilliard.
Speaker 3: So that means that the way we conduct you know, acting and comedy or whatever is not up to standard.
Speaker 1: No, I think I'm not suggesting even for a second that there needs to be a standardization of quality. I'm not suggesting that there needs to be a standardization of this industry. But I do think that like this breaks down to questions of human decency. For me, this is this is not just oh, I made the best movie I could make, and if you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. I've seen plenty of those movies, and we can argue all day about which one souls are. But there's nothing he's putting in on sisters. Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Oh Yo, when I tell you the be Et Bandits.
Speaker 3: Is gonna be a you, I want to be a part.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be a party.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: Someone to make sure you untagged.
Speaker 1: Somebody's gonna be mad.
Speaker 2: They are, they will ride at down. But that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I get it that I understand that.
Speaker 2: Even better.
Speaker 1: I don't think that he's trying his best on all of these things. And I think we gotta be honest about that, Dave. I think that what are we talking about? Is it like a ratios thing, like what do you think is good to bad?
Speaker 4: Ratio is tell me?
Speaker 2: Let us know what you right now, right now? Hold on what is good for you movie? Right now?
Speaker 4: Show? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, that's that feels that that's complicating the conversation.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you want to you want to keep your jobs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not going to play this nasty little.
Speaker 3: To hold me if I wouldn't do what I did right now?
Speaker 1: Who that's not the point of this conversation.
Speaker 2: A good try, sister, I can't even. They won't even see me a script. I can't even.
Speaker 1: I think if we're talking ratio of what I think he offers up good to bad, I think it's ninety percent bad and ten percent good.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question. Did you like Vampire and Brooklyn?
Speaker 1: I don't think it was a good movie.
Speaker 2: It was a good movie. No, what is good?
Speaker 4: Not that?
Speaker 2: Why wasn't it good? Eddie Murphy was in it?
Speaker 1: Angela basis, Yeah, Eddie Murphy is in a female It.
Speaker 2: Was yo, yo, you think it's a good movie.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, you think it's a.
Speaker 2: Good movie, iconic, legendary, No no, no, boo boo.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna play this game where we swerve around it because a bunch of people we like are.
Speaker 2: In butter Scotch behavior. Boom off the stage. I love it. I loved it. There's a lot of movie lynn context. Also, it's bonsering.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. But it's not a great movie, thank you. And that's fine, that's okay. That's kind of how it is with the Tyler Perry stuff.
Speaker 2: That's a good evil good who what's in his coffee?
Speaker 4: Myth?
Speaker 1: This is myth like behavior. This whole episode has been brought to you by.
Speaker 2: How dare you here?
Speaker 3: You text me an hour before the podcast and I brought my my sisterly love here to save the pod. And now you said, I'm on met brothers. Where's where brothers?
Speaker 2: It is? He has that it literally exists sides.
Speaker 1: Now that's the problem.
Speaker 4: You don't even know how thorough this man is. There's an auntie.
Speaker 2: I'm hurting.
Speaker 1: I'm hurting you have this man made all the stuff and you I heard being like, it's already it could be subjective, no.
Speaker 4: Stop, how it is him being the devil to me does come down to more than content or anything. I think it's the way that he runs the ship that's that is the thing that I think that regardless of whether or not you enjoy it or you don't enjoy it, that is the sinister read that we can all agree on, right, And that's the problem with Tyler.
Speaker 1: He's saving insane amounts of money it's fit to hoard for himself by not paying people what they're worth and not unionizing. And more than that, he then even saves more and more money by forcing people to work hours that are far beyond reason to stay sort of like insular inside of this fucking dome that it's It feels like we would be irresponsible to walk away from this episode and say that Tyler Perry is like a good guy.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, if we if Dave Langston and me die, we did not commit.
Speaker 2: We did not kill ourselves. We did on his podcast.
Speaker 1: If they find my body on Tyler Perry's studios, I did kill myself.
Speaker 4: Anywhere else?
Speaker 2: How is this show down?
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody's paid attention.
Speaker 2: Because everybody.
Speaker 4: Going crazy were just saying.
Speaker 1: No, they've never listened to a single episode, mister James, iHeart is never plugged in the end phones. Well, I think we did it. I think we're I think we've concluded our all our positions on Tyler Perry, and they do seem vast and in a little diverse. We we have varying sort of scales of what we considered to be evil about him.
Speaker 2: Is that Yeah, it's just crazy.
Speaker 3: We said all this stuff, and it's like we in this industry do we want to work?
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, I got a good feeling, I'll be okay.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean our good brother here English teacher abbit.
Speaker 3: I mean you you like doings on ab before me, light skin, sweet, I don't know what we.
Speaker 4: Don't worry about.
Speaker 2: That's true. There leaving woman to find for herself, holding on his legs as he's trying.
Speaker 1: To leave the house.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm ready, tell me.
Speaker 1: Give her a call Sydney. Before you, before you go on down to the compound, will you tell us, uh, will you tell us some cool ship you got.
Speaker 3: Going on new, brand new podcast. Well it's remixed, but it's called mess. It's with me and your fabe Marie Foston on my Heart Big Money Players Network, and we just came out and I'm very excited to be a part of the family. And obviously I'm on Instagram. Please follow me. In order for me to get the promo and the brand deals that I deserve, I.
Speaker 2: Need more follow so follow me.
Speaker 3: I think that's just did I should be doing something with hair or makeup or you know. If the lesbians follow this, I'm sure they don't, but if you do, please follow me.
Speaker 2: Just sid b W.
Speaker 4: We have some lesbians to come out.
Speaker 1: We've had a few.
Speaker 4: Three.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's always uh, it's a girl and then her her much more more masculine.
Speaker 2: Watch your mouth, friend, watch your.
Speaker 1: Mouth, masculine presenting girlfriend who who is less happy to be there. It's usually the Yeah, it's like a small girl with glasses and he was very nice, very nice, very excited, and then a masculine presenting lady behind the camera being like, y'all was y'all was cool.
Speaker 4: But I have seen a couple of times where it was a masculine lady and she put her small lady on oh nice, Oh yeah, I don't remember the shot to that couple in d C.
Speaker 2: So it's only so it's only one couple of show coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, usually do better.
Speaker 4: What can we do?
Speaker 2: What we talk about saved the podcast.
Speaker 3: I don't think you know, you understand they were looking for to be seen and that was me.
Speaker 1: Oh thank god, good job. Hell yeah, And uh, you can follow me at Langston Kerman and we're still on the start to Steal tour. We want you to come out to the next couple of shows.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: We We've got uh Seattle, We've got Portland. We and Okay, that's all the ones that I think we're probably gonna have.
Speaker 4: I think that's it should be all right.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, anyway, and if you want to send us your own drops, your own conspiracy theories, if you want to tell us what Tyler Perry does for you, send it all to my Mama pod at gmail dot com. We would love to hear from you. By the merch Call your mother, Sucker, dick, my bitch. My Mama Told Me is a production of Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 4: Created and hosted by Langston Krekin.
Speaker 1: Co hosted by David Bori.
Speaker 4: Executive produced by Will Farrell Hansani and Olivia Akilon. Co produced by Bee Wayne, edited and engineered by Justin.
Speaker 1: Kopfon, music by Nick Chambers.
Speaker 4: Artwork by Jegon Kriega.
Speaker 1: You can now watch episodes of My Mama Told Me on YouTube. Follow at My Mama Told Me and subscribe to our channel