Speaker 1: Good morning, everybody, Happy Friday, Ryan Graham, great to see you, my friends.
Speaker 2: Nice to see you, Cristl.
Speaker 1: Emily is going to jump on here when she is ready, but there are many things to discuss this morning. Once again, very hard to whittle down a quote unquote mini show for today, but we've got breaking news with regard to the Democrats cave with regard to the Republican ce our budget situation, so a lot of fallout from that one. We've got a bunch of new developments with regard to Ukraine. Yesterday the stock market ended in correction territory, so continued chaos and tumult there, and then we had some really significant court decisions as well with regard to Doge. In particular, multiple federal judge is ruling that those probationary employees have to be rehired. But Ryan, since we don't have Emily here yet, we can start with the demon dem conversation. That's right, So just a little bit of backstory, and I'm sorry that this gets into like annoyingly technical inside the Beltway kind of stuff, but the government is going to shut down tonight at midnight if they don't pass some sort of funding Republicans made a bet, effectively that Democrats would cave and go along with whatever funding resolution that Republicans put together. So they put together a partisan proposal that does things like raised defense spending, lower all kinds of domestic spending priorities. Ryan is intimately familiar with the details of how they're screwing over the DC public school system and DCCD city government. There's a provision in there that protects Republicans from having to ever take a vote on Trump's tariff program, which is increasingly, you know, totally unpopular. It also just hands to Trump and Elon the ability to basically do whatever they want, which, let's be honest, they already are, but this sort of codifies that they would have a blank check and be able to jade Evance actually told the Republican caucus that we've already got plans for how we're not even going to follow this budget plan. We're just going to do whatever we want. Rhino, get your reaction before I play some of the fall on here. But the other piece that's really important here is Republicans control the White House, they control the Senate, they control the House. This is one of the few times when they actually need Democrats for anything in order to keep the government open because they need to get that sixty vote threshold in the Senate, so they need seven or eight Dems. Probably Ran Paul is going to vote against this, which means they need eight Dems to vote with them to end a filibuster to be able to vote on this budget resolution. So it's one of the few moments when Democrats have leverage. Democrats in the House all hung together, Haqeme Jeffreys, to his credit, whipped against this Republican budget bill. Everybody except for one in the Democratic caucus voted against it. The Republicans had a similarly you know, partisan It was sort of like a lockstep party line vote. The Republicans control the House, so it passes through the House and it gets to the Senate. Chuck Schumer was making some noises like maybe he was going to fight, maybe this would be the place where he took a stand, and ultimately, yesterday evening, as many people would have anticipated, he decides that he's going to cave. So, first of all, Ryan, is there anything that you would add or clarify about that setup of where we are as of this morning.
Speaker 2: No, that's about right, Yeah, And the Democrats met for a very long and what we were told testy lunch. They always have their their Tuesday lunches, and this one went extra long with you know, some Democrats arguing, look, we believe that this is an unconstitutional power grab and an effort to destroy the government and hand it over to billionaires. Chris Murphy, as we'll play later coming, you know, said publicly said just that much. In the meeting. A bunch of Democrats said that, like, this doesn't make sense. We have been out here saying that this is this is unconstitutional what they are doing, and it's a threat to our democracy. And now we're just going to rubber stamp it, which will then give our imprimaitor to it. We'll say this is now a bipartisan effort. And there was this whole gimmick that human was trying to do where let's vote for, you know, to move forward on the bill so that we're not filibustering it, but then we'll vote against it when it's on the Senate floor, and nobody's nobody's fooled by that anymore. So yeah, that's that's essentially, and I don't want to be too provincial But ye know, they're taking one point one billion dollars out of the d C operating budget, two hundred million out of the DC public schools budget starting immediately, like over the next year. Just that's just an absolutely extraordinary amount of money. And DC gets federal money because it is not a state, So the federal government insists on, you know, basically having control over the city. And I can't imagine like what that's going to mean for the for city services broadly, but in the in the schools in particular, they're already you know, facing layoffs and shortages and high class sizes, yeah, and dilapidated buildings.
Speaker 1: And DC has long gotten a raw deal because it costs a lot to host the federal government in your city.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you cannot tax an embassy, you cannot tax a federal building, and you cannot tax a nonprofit. And what is Washington made up of? Exactly embassies, nonprofits and government buildings, and so there's very little tax base. So the deal is the federal government comes in and backstops some of that, not as much as they should, but some of it. And I think it shows how little ability Republicans have to actually do anything structural about the federal deficit. If the only way that they can achieve some savings is taking it from poor kids in Washington, d C. Right like that, that's not a game changer for you. Might make you happy for some twisted reason because you're sick, but it doesn't actually do anything about the federal deficit. We're talking about of this is that over ten years, this would reduce the federal budget deficit by seven billion dollars. And part of that is because they cut twenty billion from the IRS, which will they estimate and I think they underestimate. We'll add about add forty billion because there'll be sixty billion in extra cheating that we don't select as a result of this. I think there'll be a lot more. But let's say that that's right. So out of the seven billion they're saving over ten years, a billion of it is coming out of washing the DC's budget for the next year. That's cowardly, it's not impressive, and it's not a structural solution to what they think is a structural problem.
Speaker 1: Although it's hard to take them seriously that they really think that this is a structural problem when they're set to give away trillions intax cuts to rich people, so we're concerned about it.
Speaker 2: Are about hundred it's hundreds of millions for weapons, billions for weapons, like all these different weapons programs are are singled out. A billion for this carrier, you know, hundreds of millions for these jets, hundreds of millions for these subs. Out of here, you're not serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's something really interesting and unusual happening in this Democratic Party debate inter debate though, which is that? So Schumer and Kirsten Chillibrand both notably from New York, will come back to that sort of led the charge to try to convince their fellow Democratic senators to cave. And Schumer, of course is the minority leader, so he's the one that makes the announcement. Guys, I'm voting for cloture, I'm voting for this cr I am compelling enough of my Democratic colleagues to join me that we're going to give Republicans the votes that they need to be able to pass this thing through. And instantly there is absolute fury at Schumer, not just from you know, the AOC types, but really across the board, including fury that showed up immediately on MSNBC, which of course is normally their role is just a rubber stamp whatever it is that the Democrats decide. So let me go ahead and pull up. Also noteworthy this is you know Aaron Rupar that clipped this and other like sort of CenTra is like vote blue, reliable Democratic type and you know, typical of or really emblematic of how wide and broad the fury at this cave really is within the whole of the Democratic Party. So let's go ahead and take a listen to this kind of levers.
Speaker 3: The one thing they have leverages in the Senate where you need a filibuster proof majority on a cloture vote, that there's essentially an up constitutional assault on the government right now. And I think you would agree with that assault.
Speaker 4: These guys are the worst and we got to fight them every step of the way, as we say.
Speaker 5: But looks telling people, But he's telling people on the floor, we are not even going to listen to this c R. This is a people of paper that we will impound and rip up the moments that it's passed. If that's the case, how is voting for cloture not essentially an infra motor on the very same assault on the constitutional order.
Speaker 4: They're already even without this CR, they're already doing it, right, Okay, they are gonna They did it to the Department of Education. But I can tell you I've been through shutdowns before, the old It's not that this CR is good. It's not that.
Speaker 2: Voting for it is good.
Speaker 4: It's horrible, but the alternative is worse.
Speaker 1: And we And in addition, Chrises also made a good point with him, which is, hey, the people who would be most impacted by a shutdown are the federal government employees themselves. Their union said, don't vote for this. So how how can you justify, you know, caving in the situation and voting along with the Republicans and handing them even more unchecked power. And then, by the way, after his first guest is Chuck Schumer, the very next guest on Chris Haes is Bernie Sanders, who is out there making the case for why this is a you know, a horrific move for the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: Right in that clip, you guys can go back and watch it again. You have Hayes like audibly scoffing and laughing at the Senate Majority leader like that. That's where the that's where the Democratic Party is at this point. Just it just can't they can't be taken seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, that's that's exactly right. And you know it's not just that he made this decision in this moment. By the way, this vote is going to happen at some point today and you know, we expect it to go this way, but they are still under a lot of pressure from their constituents to you know, to go ahead and block this.
Speaker 2: It never fails to cave, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, he could fail to cave. You never know what's going to ultimately happen. But I mean this has been the thing that has been really wild, and we've been sending each other, you know, Will Stancil, who's like the prototypical moderate sort of anti left Democrat, who is posting you have to these people are worthless. They're the reason that the country is in the place that is today. We need to primary all of them. It's like, well, who is this guy You've got near a tandin out there retweeting Bernie Sanders clips. And then you know, I'll show you in moment some news articles about how even some of the like swing district Democrats who went out on a limb in their view, to vote to block this in the House. They're ready to write checks to AOC to primary Chuck Schumer. So this is the This is in my opinion. Mind, you cover this more closely than I do. This is the biggest rebellion I've ever seen within the Democratic Party because it isn't a progressive rebellion. It truly is the base moderate Democrats, you know, standard issue, normy Democratic base voters who are absolutely furious at the lack of fight and the lack of planning here, because, as I was going to say, it's not just that he caved, it's also that there was no messaging. There was no demand that was made, there was no plan, And we've known for months, I mean, we've been talking about since Trump was elected that there was going to be this shutdown fight and this would be a place where Democrats could use some leverage and take a stand. And yet nothing, absolutely nothing, And.
Speaker 2: That that's the key point. That they never articulated a message. Therefore they have no demand here. So if they imagine that they did, that's that enough Democrats grow spind here and they do block cloture today and we get a government shutdown. Then the media will come to Democrats and say, okay, what do you want? What's like, what's your demand? Right, if you don't like this budget, like what's your what's your counteroffer? What are you what are you demanding that Republicans do? And right now, all they kind of have is well, this whole thing is an unconstitutional power grab. It's like, okay, well, what do you want? Now? What they if if they were serious about that messaging, they could say, we're going to put into law, you know that any reductions in force, you know, done to federal you know, federal workforces must be done through congressional with congressional approval, Like that could be the thing that they would demand, or any any restructuring of the of the government must be done through Congress. And then that would require getting sixty votes in the Senate. So they're beasts. And then you could and you could, as as Americans like you could see the virtue in that, like, Okay, we think that the federal government is too big and it's disorganized, and there's a lot of waste, fraud abuse. Let's find it. Let's figure it out. Let's figure out how we can fund investigations into the waste and fraud. Let's see, let's see where we can streamline things. But they don't want it. They don't like they're they're not doing that. They're just they don't have anything. So I think that's I think Schumer understood that they didn't have a step to there, and I also think that Schumer.
Speaker 1: But he's part of the reason why they didn't have He's the reason.
Speaker 2: He's the reason. Yeah, he's the.
Speaker 1: Guy that was like, you were the one who was supposed to come up with that step two.
Speaker 2: So to him, he likes to get out of the way. Strategy. Stock market is crashing, Trump's approval rating is crashing, get out of the way. It's like a communist revolutionary strategy, like, you know, allow things to collapse and hype the contradictions.
Speaker 1: That is that what's going on. Yes, well this was the James Carvel. I mean, this is what he said, basically, like roll over and play dead and let them destroy everything. I mean, I am a vig Oeland noted, and I think that there may be something to this that the two Democrats who led the charge to cave. Here are the two democratuct senators from New York Meanwhile, you know we're going to cover later in the show, markets and chaos. Certainly a government shut down would not be good for you know, their portfolios and their bottom line. So it's also certainly possible that you know, Wall Street got to them and it's basically like, you can't do this. This is going to be too bad for us. And you know that's a core constituency both for Kirsten Gilibrand and for Chuck Schumer. Let me go ahead and play aoc here on CNN. Who was you know? Really she really has led the charge, I would say, in terms of trying to bolster Democrats and trying to encourage them to have a spine in this situation. And she also got asked the question about whether she would talan Chuck sherm, I'm not sure if fasten this side or not, but let's go ahead and take a look at what we've got here.
Speaker 2: Vote you think that's wrong.
Speaker 6: I believe that's a tremendous mistake. Yeah. I think, well, first and foremost, the American people. If anyone has held a town hall or has seen what has been happening in town halls, American people, whether they are Republicans, independence. Democrats are up in arms about Elon Musk and the actual cut of federal agencies across the board. This Continuing Resolution codifies much of this chaos that Elon Musk is wreaking havoc on the federal government. It codifies many of those changes, It sacrifices and completely eliminates congressional authority in order to review these impulsive Trump tariffs that he's switching on and off. And on top of that, for folks who are concerned about effectiveness and government, this Republican extreme Spending Bill removes all of the guardrails and all of the accountability measures to ensure that money is being spent in the way that Congress has directed for it to be spent. This turns the federal government into a slush fund for Donald Trump and Elon Musk. It sacrifices congressional authority, and it is deeply partisan, and so to me, it is almost unthinkable why Senate Democrats would vote to hand the few pieces of leverage that we have away for free when we've been secure to protect social security, protect medicaid, and protect Medicare.
Speaker 7: You have it?
Speaker 1: So he goes on to say, hey, you know, would you challenge Chuck schumergency of course dodges that, but that is apparently a live issue. Now, Ryan, I'm going to let you speak to that. I'm going to put the dog so she stops sparking, be right back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we could put it up in a minute. But there's this. There was some reporting from Leesburg, Virginia, which is where Democrats are holding their annual kind of policy retreat. These House Democrats go, it's a bunch of bunch of members of Congress, lobbyists and reporters, you know, go to huddle for a couple of days, their set their strategy. And AOC was interviewed by reporters out there, and that's and that's where she was also getting pressed on whether or not she was going to challenge Schumer with with with members of Congress who were at that retreat, saying, look, I'm a centrist. They wouldn't put their names to it, cowards that they are. I'm a centrist, but I am ready to write a check to AOC right right here at this at this retreat if she will jump in the race against Chuck Schumer. It's interesting because Chuck Schumer felt an enormous amount of concern about AOC primarying him in twenty twenty right after or twenty twenty two. I guess is that when he was up twenty twenty two, so he's I guess he's not up until twenty twenty eight, so maybe he feels like he has time to let this kind of that this will not be a thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they also, like I don't think they've fully adjusted to the reality where near where near a Tandon and Will Stanzel are hating them, you know, like they're used to some level of like minor, quashable, ignorable rebellion from the left flank of the Democratic Party, and I'm still seeing articles that are written that are like, the left is mad. It's like, yes, the left is mad, but that's actually not what's important here. What's noteworthy is that, you know, normal resistance Dems are disgusted with Democratic leadership and what that leads to. It's you know, it's an open question, but this is the most tea party like that the Democratic Party has ever been in. They're discussed with their own leadership, their discontent, enchantment, disenchantment with their own media, and their desire to, you know, to challenge some of these people and get them ount of there if they're not willing to fight.
Speaker 2: And one critique of the of this will Stancil approach. You know, he comes he comes from the kind of centrist school of you know, fight harder Democrats, right, and so they always want to fight harder, and now he's ramping it up to eleven. They need to fight harder. But because he is so reluctant to embrace genuine like left politics, it's like, we'll fight harder for what he's like, well, fight harder against democrats. So that comes That means they should have pressed their charges against Trump faster. They should have impeached him harder, like classic rather than like you know, an actual substain of critique.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, and that is certainly true, there's no doubt about it. Like you know, the I was talking to soccer about this yesterday, the Brian Tyler Cohen's The Midas Touch is becoming a little bit more ideological, I would say, and a progressive direction. But really the core of their critique is just stand up, fight harder, resist Trump more effectively. And you know you said this was a fascist threat. The fascist threat has arrived and now you're just like laying down and capitulating, and so that is the core of their critique. What's noteworthy, though, is that the people who are by and large satisfying that desire to see people who have a strategy and are putting up a fight are people like AOC, are people like Bernie. Most of the people who are demonstrating a backbone and putting up a fight in this moment happened to be on the progressive left. So you know, that's what's sort of interesting in this moment is like, yeah, I don't think it's particularly ideological, and yet the people who are there raising up as heroes at this point are the aocs and the Bernie's of the world. So for example, with this you know, centrist rebellion and them being like AOC we challenged humor, it's because they're excited about Medicare for all. It's for this reason. And also for these particular House Democrats, they feel like they were they say here, feel like they walked the plank. In the words of one member, they voted almost unanimously against the budget measure, only to watch Senate Democrats seemingly give it the green light. Complete melt in complete and utter meltdown on all text chains. A senior House Democrat said, people are curious. Some rank and file members floated the idea of angrily marching onto the Senate floor in protest. Others are talking openly about supporting primary challenges to senators who vote for the GP spending bill. And even you know, for AOC herself, who came in of course defeating a long time establishment member and started off with that protest outside in Nancy Pelosi's office. I mean, you literally wrote the book on her evolution. She has much more embraced the tactic of let me see what I can get on front, you know, on the inside. So for her to come out swinging against democratic leadership, even for her is a brain from the way that she's been operating the bulk of the time that she's been in the House, right.
Speaker 2: And you know, if you think back, you know throughout history, like who was in the French underground resistance. You know, in Nazi occupied France, it was it was leftists, it was communists, it was socialists. The Centrists became part of vich France. You know, they collaborated with the incoming government, and that that was the case with resistance to fascism all over the world. And that's why you had socialists so popular for decades after World War Two all around the world, not just Europe but everywhere else where there was fascism and authoritarianism and Vietnam wherever it was. These socialists and communists, like the hardcore left that went underground, stuck to their principles and fought and died for their country. And if you were not active in that, you know, you were considered a trader for decades. It's after World War Two, and so the rhetoric now is the same, Like obviously we do not have Nazi occupied the United States, but the rhetoric coming from Democrats is the same, and they feel like they're under siege, and so they're turning to people who are actually willing to fight for something. Now, what happened is that because the socialists and communists fought for something, they were then given a hearing for their actual policy ideas, you know, after they after they came to power. So right now all they want from AOC and Bernie is this energy. They like the fight. Will they start listening to them on a policy level? Next? Is that is that step two of this party evolution, I don't know. And there's enormous corporate and you know, billionaire counterweight against that happening. Of course, Yeah, at least it opens up the possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, given your coverage of the the Democratic Party and these fights, you know, going back years, do you see similarities with the Tea Party rebellion? Do you think we're going to see primary fights against some of these members who are deemed you know, insufficiently like insufficiently strong against Trump in this moment.
Speaker 2: It is funny that I'm talking about marching on the Senate because that's literally what a couple of uh Tea Party members did. M Tea Party kept passing uh you know, repeals of Medicare and cuts the government spending, and the Senate would just immediately dispatch with it and go back to kind of business usual. So they went down to the Senate physically and stood in the stood in the Senate chamber and we're like, you know, they're like, what do we have to do here? And they were people were like who are you guys, and why are you here? And kind of ushered them out. Now those guys control the party. Uh So there definitely are some similarities, you know, seeing Hayes shift or laugh not shift, but like laugh and space. Yeah, you know you needed the Tea party without Fox News would not have existed like it needed. It needs a giant media megaphone to change what the what the party rank and file understands as where they're supposed to be. Yeah, so if you get a shift from MSNBC and say that like the New York Times and CNN, then then yeah, you could see the party shift.
Speaker 1: I mean you also do have massive growth of these Minus Touch Brian Tyler, Cohen Kyle channel, like all of these liberal to you know, progressive left channels that are blowing up in size and are taking this boscher of you know, you you've got a fight, so you have that as a as a megaphone too. But yeah, if you have even if you're just covering this fight on MSNBC, that would be different then and you genuinely have you know, like Hayes head on Chuck Schrumer then immediately has on Bernie Sanders. Even if you're doing that, it's profoundly different from the way MSNBC has operated as just like whatever democratic leadership says we are backing that full stop. Other views are not even going to be like tolerated or represented here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if Schumer gets what he wants, which is the bottom falling out of the Trump administration, he may not end up getting credit for it. You know, He's people are going to remember that he facilitated it. And so somebody like a Chris Murphy or shots or somebody like that, yeah, might come in and take over the mantle from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. A lot of people are saying, hey, let's get Chris Murphy as a Senate Minority leader and get this guy on it here, which is interesting. And Murphy is definitely one who's like sort of stepped up and understood actually you know new media. Also, he's always recording these straight to camera like here's how I'm thinking about things, and here's why I'm approaching it this way that I think has garnered him a lot of trust with the Democratic base. Let's go ahead and move on to what was going on in the markets yesterday. I haven't checked. They're open now. I haven't checked to see exactly what's going on. I know futures were up this morning, don't look me. I know futures are out this morning. But this is what things have been looking like. This is from how they're long at the washing post. S and P five hundred tumbled into a correction today, ten percent drop from its prior high on February nineteenth. Trump's comments today quote I'm not going to bed at all on tariffs, have exacerbated fears and frustrations with his economic plans. Today's losses S and P five hundred minus one point four, down minus one point three NASDAK minus two. And you can see what that looks like on the chart here. Since you know, starting in like November going till now now, the stock market has been on a sort of long and mostly unbroken upward march. But this is I saw, I actually think I have this. This is one of the fastest drops that we've seen in one hundred years. Joe Wisenthal says, there are a lot of Trump aligned voices telling people to calm down. Selves happen, and it's true people tend to grat panicking. But this is one of the fastest selloffs of the last century. While the president pursues a policy the virtually no economist will defend. And you know, Ryan, you were raising alarms about and I saw Johns Hopkins is now laying off two thousand workers. So, in addition to the tariffs, get a lot of attention on Wall Street. Understandable especially because Trump is they're on, they're off, they're back on, this part's on, this part's coming back on in April. I mean, it really is all over the place and hard to make a co I mean it's impossible for any literally anyone to make a coherent case of exactly what he's up to or why he's up up to it and why you know they're saying, oh, there's no pay, no games gain, is what Tommy Tuberville said. The Commerce Secretary, Howard Lutnik, said that a recession will be quote unquote worth it, And the question remains, like worth it for what what is it that we're supposed to, you know, accept suffering on. What is the goal that we're supposed to accept suffering on? Behalf of? But in addition to the tariffs, you have this mass vesterity program with the federal government that is going to reverberate much outside of just DC and Virginia. Hey, m how's it going? She's getting plugged in?
Speaker 8: Love? Would I pop in and you guys are in the middle.
Speaker 1: We're talking about the markets. We already got through the democratic catastrophe, so we didn't want to hear what you had to say about that.
Speaker 8: I'm more towards what you guys think to be honest anyway, But I was just saying that, you know, in addition to the tariffs causing market termoil, you also have this austerity program with the federal government, which you know as one example of how that will have a massively larger effect than just what Elon is doing in DC.
Speaker 1: Johns Hopkins just announced their laying off two thousand plus workers because of some of the funding freezes and uncertainty around you know, research and science. So you know, Ryan, what do you kind of make of the state of the economy and this market movement in particular a.
Speaker 2: Caveat on the Hopkins layoffs. I think about fifteen hundred of those were overseas directly directly related to USAID cuts.
Speaker 1: Oh really, I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: That because Hopkins does a lot of so USA Idea was funding a bunch of research, you know, scientific research, and which again you know, soft power stuff, and we don't know the details of exactly what they were doing. So it's about four or five hundred here in the US they're getting laid off. But yes, you know, hiring freezes all over the place. And what you're hearing from Wall Street is we knew that that what that we knew there would be what they what Wall Street calls anti growth policies, which would be tariffs. But we thought that they would couple them, they would temper them and couple them with pro growth policies and what Wall Street calls I'm not endorsing these views what Wall Street calls pro growth policies basically tax.
Speaker 1: Cuts, tax cuts for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so so far they're like, hm, we're getting a lot more anti growth policies than we are getting at this point pro growth policies. And I think they would might even be happier if the quote unquote anti grow both policies we're coherent, like okay, what like what is your tariff policy? And why are you doing it? Because then they can try to figure out how they're going to invest. You know, Wall Street is where capital gets allocated, and you know, some of it's absurd, like we're putting tariffs on Canadian wood. Then they're like, oh, we can't really put capital into growing more trees in the US, like we're growing the trees we can grow. That's it. But what they can do is then go to Siberia and try to buy more that crappy softer wood from Siberia made with North Korean save slave labor. But at least then they can plan that out. Right, So right right now, they're just kind of confused and waiting, and so that's going to tamp down investment and growth. And I just checked the tox so it's we're filming this. It's nine forty five. Yeah, and it's you know, they got a little they got a bounce in the morning. I think all the all these traders keep wanting to time the boy them right like, is this the bottom yet? Let me get in, Let me get in. So far everybody who has bought the dip has gotten washed out by okay, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, because Trump continues emily to say things like this. Here he is talking about Canada, and this I think is the clip to where he says, you know, the tariffs are are definitely going on. I'm not changing. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 9: No, I'm not looking. We've been ripped off for years, and we're not going to be ripped off anymore now. I'm not going to bend at all. Aluminum or steel or cars, We're not going to bend. We've been ripped off as a country for many, many years. We've been subjected to costs that we shouldn't be subjected to. In the case of Canada, we're spending two hundred billion a year to subsidize Canada. I love Canada, I love the people of Canada. I love I have many friends in Canada, the great one, Wayne Gretzky, the great Wayne Gretzky, the great one. But we have many people in Canada that are good friends of mine.
Speaker 8: But you know, the United.
Speaker 7: States can't subsidize the country for two hundred billion dollars a year. We don't need their cars, we don't need their energy, we don't need their lumber, we don't need anything.
Speaker 10: That they.
Speaker 9: That they get it. We do it because we want to be helpful. But it comes a point when you just can't do that. You have to run your own country.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of the you know, the pitch he's making today, at least about why teriffs on Canada in particular makes sense, and you know what really caused kind of the market massive drop there later in the day were those comments that no, we're not going to bend at all because they have certain tarrafs already in place, and then much broader set of tariffs set to go into place on April second, the reciprocal teriffs plus supposedly going back to the you know, twenty five percent across the board terrace with Canada and Mexico at that point. So that's kind of where we are am.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I continue to think the only way to make any sense in Trump's mind of what's happening is that to the point about people trying to figure out what the bottom is here, he doesn't want anybody to be able to figure that out. And I don't particularly think that's the most effective way to bring jobs back to the United States and to prosecute these politically, So I don't think it's the most defensible approach. I think his logic is that he genuinely does not want anybody to know when he is going to stop. I think he does have plans to I don't think he goes through for a long time with all of this. I just I think he's way too sensitive to the market. So I think if this starts to be sustained, you'll start to see I mean, I think we've already seen some of it, some like kind of more targeted approaches. But I think his his strategy is genuinely leaving everybody, including his own top staff, out of the loop on what his personal plans are to like sort of wave the wand at any give a moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a moment there, ran I didn't quite get to it where he he sort of acknowledges that that borders are just arbitrary lines drawn, you know, yeah, so based open borders Trump. Okay, so here's a thread.
Speaker 2: That And not to harp too much on this, but that on this point on the lumber, he brought the lumber up again. Right, what do you mean, what do you mean we don't need their lumber like we.
Speaker 1: Don't have especially at a time when construction materials have already you know, they were some of the highest ticket items in terms of how much their price increased due to inflation. So we have a massive housing shortage. You already cost too much to build, and so you're just exacerbating that and you know, we've been covering it, you guys know on this show relentlessly. How housing is just such a core issue, creating this sense of precarity and sense of frustration and ability to get ahead and this sort of like stable life. And yeah, you're you are actively increasing one of the main inputs. And there's other construction materials at play here as well, coming from Canada too, not to mention the eighty percent of our fertilizer from Canada, Like yeah, actually we do kind of any of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Right that that's where that's where the fertilizer is. Like you could, you could produce a lot of phosphorus and fertilizer out of Florida, but that would require ripping up a lot of the communities there. And also, lumber is better the hot farther north that it grows, So we could get cheaper, better lumber from Canada, or we could get more expensive, crappier lumber from Russia. And what he's pushing us is towards Siberian lumber. So we're going to pay twenty thirty forty percent more for materials sure worse material cost to housing. And maybe the American people would do that if you were like, here's why we're doing that. Yeah, there is no why.
Speaker 1: To it right, and and I mean hard to like really sell people on a vision of we should be like, you know, getting more into the tree growing and fertilizer making business when in.
Speaker 2: All our national forests and that wood isn't as good as the wood way up in the north, and then we don't have national forests anymore.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Is that the plan right?
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly? I wanted to quickly go through this thread because I thought it had some interesting pieces and then we can move on to the next topic. You can either go to Ukraine or we can go to the court decisions.
Speaker 8: But was sorry, would say super quick point is that if you have, if you telegraph a clear plan, if you want to reshore some like lumber for example, you're you're helping people make that bet on certain states or certain strategies for US lumber or US manufacturing or whatever. But if people don't know, maybe they're just going to bet elsewhere where it seems more stable.
Speaker 1: So anyway, yeah, that's that's exactly right, Like, you know, if the chaos makes it impossible for anyone to actually bet on like reshoring anything because you just you just don't know. So here's here's a timeline the trade war, and they were ramped up into February. First, market peaked on the nineteenth, even as more tariffs went live in early March. The real turning point was March sixth. That's when Trump said he's not watching the stock market. So we've that's been sort of the story of this market movement. Is Trump's words really causing these these cycles of crashes. Buyers have been crushed in this downturns and is something you mentioned before, Ryan SMP has not seen in back to back gains for fifteen consecutive trading days, longest streak since April twenty twenty four, also the fifth longest stress since the twenty twenty pandemic. Market uncertainty is at its highest since twenty twenty. Current drawdown in the Magnificent Seven. Now, this is something we've been talking a lot about and it creates tremendous risk in terms of our economy and certainly our stock market. You know, these seven stocks make up a huge percentage of our stock market, and most of the growth that we've been seeing has been tied to these stocks. Tesla has led the the selloff. Here, Fifth down fifty percent, Crazy, Nvidia down, Google, Amazon, Meta, Microsoft, and Apple all taking significant losses. So that's the magnificent seven. Hedge funds sold global stocks at their fastest pace in four years. So the hedge funds are, you know, selling off, and I think those institutional sales are part of what is leading the significant decline. He says. This is the fastest drop of such magnitude since twenty twenty. Also, this chart comparison of Trump one point zero this green line versus Trump two point zero. That's how things are looking currently down eight percent since January twentieth, which exceeds any drawdown scene in Trump's one point zhos first year. Clearly been a shift in Trump's approach. Furthermore, sentiment has shifted in the complete opposite direction. The survey now has a bearish reading fifty nine point two percent. You've also got the US lagging global market. So again an indication like as if you needed any, that this is something that's really specific to the particular policies that are being pursued here in the US of A and not reflective of some larger global phenomenon. And then here's some one last thing that's that's interesting too is that there was some good inflation data this week that seemed to indicate Okay, inflation is coming down, moving in the right direction. I will say there are some caveats to that, number one being that this was a measure of inflation prior to most of the tariffs being put into place, so still a lot of question marks about what that impact will ultimately be. But they say, you know, even with those numbers coming in better than expected, they're still continued to that really didn't change the game or make people, you know, put people more at ease in terms of this this sell off in the economic position. And you know, I've seen all kinds of measures of you know, possibility of recession on the rise actually can pull up. JP Morgan had this very like the dramatic statement, I'll find that while you, guys, Emily, why don't you go ahead and reflect on some of those comments from that thread.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, again, I think it's just the same type of thing that like, I'm generally I think there's actually some real meat to how Trump has approached this when it's compared with how it was approached by Biden or how it would have been approached by some type of like middle of the line republican establishment republican. But I think that's just like what's frustrating is that there's a better way to do all of this that would have managed some of the fallout. So that to me is just like a lack of a sort of a lack of clarity. You don't have to telegraph everything. You don't have to, you know, give you don't have to try to game the markets one way or the other. Oh there's that beautiful quote, the most beautiful quote. You gotta read this, crystal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is a note from JP Morgan's analyst, and oh you can get we can get Ryan's reaction to that fifty Days of Gray while that was fast. Also the Reconciliation bill and a Swan song Fernado. Here's the interesting thing about the stock market. It cannot be indicted, arrested, or deported. It cannot be intimidated, threatened, or bullied. It has no gender, ethnicity, or religion. It cannot be fired, furloughed, or defunded. It cannot be primary before the next midterm elections. And it cannot be seized, nationalized, or invaded. It is the ultimate voting machine, reflecting prospects for earnings, growth, stability, liquidity, inflation, taxation, and predictable rule of law. So this is the Wall Streeters very much in their feelings on this one, for sure, like all the unconstitutional power grab, the defunding of Medicaid, like the destruction of the CFPB, like they're all about all of that. But when you mess with the stock market, that's where we that's where we draw the line.
Speaker 2: To the barricades.
Speaker 1: That's your incredible stuff. You guys want to go to Ukraine or the court cases next? We could do either one dealer's choice. All right, we'll pull up. I've got the I've got some Ukraine stuff here. So you guys know, Zelenski agreed to a US proposal for a thirty day ceasefire. So we're kind of waiting on response from Putin as to how he would receive this. And he received it in a very Putin like way, you know, rejecting it and asking for conditions which you know are probably are totally unacceptable to Ukraine, probably unacceptable to the US as well, but framing it is like, yeah, I'm open to that, as long as you do everything that I want you to do. Here are his comments, and go and pull this up. I'm not sure I've been listened to this. Hopefully this is dubbed. We'll find out. We'll find out together here in real time.
Speaker 11: With the we agree with the propositions to stop hostilities, but we proceed from the fact that such ceasefire should be such that would lead to a permanent peace and remove the initial original causes of the crisis. We agree.
Speaker 1: So there you go the details as far as you know the conditions that led to the crisis, you know some of the things that they floated outside of just this state and from Putin is like all these regions that we took, we want to keep them. Not only do we not want Ukraine and NATO, which you know that one is pretty obvious. We don't want any foreign soldiers like European peacekeepers or anyone else to be in Ukraine. Ukraine has to be fully demilitarized, et cetera. So I mean, Ryan, how do you how are you reading this response? The Trump administration is trying to spin it as hopeful. Zelenski is very much like I told you, guys like you can't deal with this dude, really and so how did you read this exchange?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he also talked about the Ukrainian soldiers who are in the cursed region and apparently about five hundred of them that this does seem to be confirmed, about five hundred Ukrainian soldiers rendered there. There are there are many more Ukrainians who are occupying the Karsek region of Russia, and according to Putin, Russia has those folks surrounded Ukraine. Says that that's that that's not the case, that he's he's bluffing. And so what Putin is kind of what Putin is saying here is if we do a ceasefire, what about these guys. I don't want to do a ceasefire with these Ukrainian soldiers on Russian territory, which is, you know, kind of an ironic thing for him to complain about, given that he wants a ceasefire with Russian soldiers and the Ukrainian territory. So so he said, like, who who who like decides whether or not along this two thousand mile front, somebody has broken the ceasefire? What do we do with those soldiers? So, I mean, those are actual questions that that could be answered. It does seem like he's buying for time perhaps to try to, you know, kind of push the Ukrainians completely out of Kursk, so that when there is a ceasefire, he has lost no territory and he has only gained territory. And you know, he also floated that he's ready to do a call with Donald Trump YEP, which I thought was interesting, called him donald Trump, not the American President.
Speaker 1: Oh is that what? I didn't know that interesting? Another thing is we as we talked about actually when you and I co hosted this week, you know, you have to ask yourself, well, what incentive does Russia have at this point for a ceasefire? And that gets to what Ryan is saying about, you know, Kirsk in particular. But they feel like the a thirty day ceasefire would only benefit Ukraine and allow them to sort of regroup and rearm and reassess, et cetera. And you know, I don't think that they're probably wrong about.
Speaker 8: That unless a thirty day seas fire does involve like significant territorial concessions on Ukraine's behalf. One of the interesting things about Kursk. I hadn't thought about it this way, but I talked to George Beedy of the Quincy Institute earlier this week, and he would saying he thinks what's happening in Curse right now is actually a sign of potentially Russia trying to get through or get to negotiation seriously more quickly, because as soon as you sort of get curs out of the way for them, they'll and so maybe it is like I feel if it was you or Ryan who said maybe buying time, like that's actually possible that in a way, it seems totally counterintuitive because it looks like they're making significant advancements on the battlefield, but it takes Cursk off the table for them. So long as they do that in a way that makes the deal work, they can can take it to the Russian public and you know, come away from the negotiations looking like they were on top. So that's it's a reading that I hadn't thought of actually that I found pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: That is interesting. I wanted to play this sound. This is Andrew and Politano, who has been you know, he's been pushing for He is kind of, you know, kind of the un orthodox view with regard to Ukraine. He's been pushing for peace, etc. He just is back from interviewing Lavrov in Moscow and he says he doesn't think Russia has any interest in the cease fire. Lests take a listen to.
Speaker 10: That when this is over. He came over to me and we just chatted almost like you and I are without the cameras on us at all. And I did say to him, does President of Putin have any interest in a ceasefire at this time?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 10: This was a day before Secretary of State Rubio announced to that Ukraine had agreed to ceasefire. He looked at me and he said, why would we do that now?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 10: Because they believe that they're within interest of consummating their goals in the war.
Speaker 9: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And that actually dovetails maybe. Surprisingly, his assessment is the same as what US intel agencies are telling the Washington Post right here. This is Putin still intends Ukraine domination. US intelligence reports say, while offering a cautious assessment on ceasefire chances, spy agencies say Russian leader is determined to hold sway over Kiev. This is, you know, source to classified US intel reports, including one earlier this month, cast doubt on Putin's willings to end the war against Ukraine, assessing the Russian president is not veered from his maximous goal of dominating his western neighbor. According to people familiar with the analysis, Ryan, what did you make in particular of this, you know, leak to the strategic leak to the Washup Post.
Speaker 2: Right, Whenever whenever there's this intel leak to the wash and Post, you have to ask, Okay, why did the CIA leak this? And in this case, I think it would be to you know, send try to message to Trump like the same thing that Neapolitano was saying that I know that, Hey, we know you want a peace deal, but Putin really doesn't want one right now? You know there, you know there there may have been a much better deal on the table. In March of twenty twenty two, the Buid administration and the UK and NATO insisted that Ukraine fight on instead, and now they're at a place where they as as Trump said in the White House, you have no cards. Yeah, So you're appealing to the good will of Vladimir Putin, just right, Good luck with that. I think you know what Putin could do, and I think understands he could do. His focus his energy on getting the Ukrainians out of the Curse region and then say, Okay, I'm done, Like everything we have is ours, and you keep fighting if you want, and if you keep fighting, will keep fighting. But if not, we're going to keep this terror, We're going to keep this territory, and then they will all they will buy definition kind of you know, politically dominate. You'd have a rump like hard right Ukrainian resistance government left. Yeah, but without NATO you know, funding, and with you know, twenty percent of its you know, country gone, and with you know, the difficulties of reconstruction. You could imagine you know, Russia having successfully kind of neutered the threat on their border.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what do you think of that, Emily? I mean, in some ways, I think it's increasingly clear that the Biden administration pursued the worst possible strategy. Like I have actually become more sympathetic to the people who were like, you got to give them everything, because what they did instead is give them just enough to create this sort of stalemate situation, just draw out this war to the last Ukrainian you know. They obviously the greatest failure was blocking the Piece deal that you know, was on the table early on. Not that there were any guarantees there either, but there was very live possibility and the Ukrainians were in a much better negotiating position at that point than they are now. I mean, that really was sort of the cardinal sin and now at this point where you are, you're left withero zero good options to pursue. Ultimately, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 8: I completely agree with that. And it's one of the weird things about Donald Trump and JD Vance's meeting with the lens is that Zelenski and Joe Biden were ideologically simpatico. Like they're they had the exact same ideology of how Ukraine should be seen by NATO countries as an essential buffer state that should essentially, and I'm putting it in my words, not the way they would say it be used as you know, a weapon is the wrong word, but as a buffer and Ukraine should be you know, treated that way by NATO, almost in this like colonial way. And Trump Advance don't believe that's in America's best interests, but as a they're the ones now tasked with disentangling the United States from the situation and helping at least in theory helping Ukraine stop the slaughter. And so it's a really strange position to have an administration that disagrees with decades of the foreign policy consensus that they're now trying to exit from, and the leader of the country that you're trying to negotiate with is actually of the opposite view. It's just like super weird to see that play out, and so I think it's very That's where the Trump Putin conversation gets dicey, obviously, because they kind of agree about how Ukraine has been used by NATO, and so it's just like, does that mean ultimately Ukraine ends up losing territory that would have retained a couple of years back because of the hubris of the Biden administration and NATO leaders in Europe. Probably well.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of political peril here too that I'm not sure the right tends to fully appreciate, because you know, the the view on the right has become quite preemnant that like, you know that we need to pull all the military aid from Ukraine. You know, we need to make a deal, regardless of what that takes and how much territory Putin is allowed to acquire like whatever it takes. And you know, it's a few frankly I'm sympathetic to. But when you look at the recent polling with regard to Trump, there is actually a lot of discontent with the way he's handled the Russian Ukraine war, with the people did not like the Oval office blow up at Zelenski, And there's still a lot of not among Republicans so much, but among independents and among Democrats and among some Republicans actually there's still a lot of like, Russia's the bad guys. Ukraine are the good guys. This is our ally, this is our vote. Yeah, yeah, and you know, I mean we've seen this before. It's not exactly the same as Afghanistan, obviously because we were in there for so long and because our troops were involved. But you know, people wanted out of Afghanistan. But then once we got out of Afghanistan, it was the most devastating thing to Joe Biden's presdency. I mean, we talk a lot about the economy and certainly about the genocide and Gaza, but in terms of just the drop and approval rating, the war that people wanted to be ended was the thing that was most devastating to his approval rating RNE of his entire term.
Speaker 2: Right, And I guess you could imagine, now these aren't American forces, but you could imagine that, you know, scenes of chaos, if things completely fall apart.
Speaker 1: It's just it's an admission of American failure. And voters don't Voters don't like that. Voters don't like that. You know, it's like, Okay, well, what have we been funding all these like what if we It looks like American weakness, And that's in a lot of ways it is American weakness, I mean, frankly, and I think, you know, voters really don't enjoy having to reckon with that, even if you could, you know, I like, it's really not Trump helped to create the conditions of this war, but obviously it's a Biden administration that owns this policy. But if he's the one that brings it to the end and forces that reckoning with the reality that this was a massive American failure, voters may well punish him for that.
Speaker 8: Voters I think in America sort of back the blue globally. They like the United States being seen as the policeman. And it's in right, like online right circles where I you spend a lot of time, it's easy to get to lose sight of the fact that the American people are not with the I guess broader project at the online right, like they're probably with the New Right, the sort of dvance ideology on different things, like you know, you can zoom in on the question, particularly of spending more money on Ukraine and not closing the border, like that was exactly why they designed that Senate bill that way. So you know, you it's easy to mistake those things for agreement with the broader project of disentangling from being the policeman of the world and the person who understands this, interestingly enough, just Donald Trump, because that's what he's sort of doing with Greenland and Panama, and he knows that that's his voters are like fine to see Greenland, Like people on the right, they're like, yeah, we're we're gonna boss Greenland around because we're the United States of America, and that's a it's just easy to mistake one for the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I do think that if he got a long term cease fire, that he would be rewarded for that, yes, but domestically from voters like I do. I do think people, you know, if he could, if he could get out of it somewhat cleanly, even if there are significant concessions made. Nobody can name, you know, the regions of Ukraine that we're fighting over, like nobody really cares. I think that people would like to see the money stop going over there, especially. Yeah, you know, the the resentment towards that heats up when you know things are when the economy is going poorly at home. Yeah, you wrap that up. I think he would be rewarded.
Speaker 1: So the more he destroys the economy here at home, the policy Well, all right, let's go ahead and get to these couple of court decisions before we wrap up here, because these were pretty significant ones. Yesterday we got from this judge Alsop, who I'd never heard of before but apparently is like very well respected in judicial circles. I don't know whatever that means anyway. He said that he issued a preliminary injunction on Trump's firing of federal workers in probationary periods, including some of the largest agencies, the Veterans Affairs USDA Department, of Defense, Department of Education, Department of Interior, Treasury must reinstate all fired probationary employees effective immediately. Eric katz Here from gov exec says this will impact the vast majority of those fired. Rough math about twenty four thousand employees just won their jobs. Back story here with more details from what he describes as a fairly explosive hearing this morning, So including some language from this judge that these firings were sham firings and in particular pointing to, you know, the way they did this, which really is just you know, you had a lot of workers who were getting perfect performance reports and maybe even up for promotions or just got promoted, you know, and that's why they were in their probationary period. And the justification they used is they sent out these mass emails that said you're being fired for poor performance, regardless of who the employees were. And so this judge was like, we see what you're doing here, Like, obviously these people were who you know, some of them were performing well, and you just said poor performance, you could get away with firing, with mass firing, Ryan, all of these employees that happened to be under this probationary status and oh, by the way, off as of personnel management, like, you don't get to do this. The individual agencies have control over their own HR personnel. Even in this ruling though, which was like fairly sweeping, there's a warning though that like if they do go through each individual agency and do what's called a reduction in force and do it through the proper channels, like they're allowed to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately for these workers. You know what he's ultimately describing as sort of a technicality, Like he's saying, you lied, and you did this illegally. Like there are laws in place, federal laws in place that apply to the executive and your your theory of the unitary executive where the president can just you know, do whatever he wants. It does not fly. And here are here is how you have to you know, reduce the number of employees that you have in say the Veterans Affairs Department.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: Here it's laid out very clearly. Follow these rules and you can do it. So that's what that's what he's telling government. Like what what what the government did is they had, oh PM, the Office of Personnel Management fire every probationary employee send them boilerplate letters saying you're fired for cause because you're doing a bad job. And his argument is a o PM, you know, does not have the ability to fire somebody at say the VA and B. You're lying because you didn't. You don't even you don't know if this person is doing well or not. So then the administration came back and said, well, it wasn't actually o PM that did the firing, it was the agencies. OPM was just offering this kind of vague suggestion. And they even put an affidavit in from the acting director of OPM saying that that was the truth, that he had nothing to do with these firings. So the judge said, all right, cool, bring this guy in for a deposition. I want to hear him cross examined. And then the administration withdrew his affidavid. He said, never mind. That's when he that's when he lost it on. He's like, I think you're lying. He's like, you're presenting an affidavid, and then when I ask you to back it up by bringing him in for a deposition at any time of its convenience, you pull it back. It's like and he used the word lying. He's like, I think you're lying to me. And the other side had affidavids from the agencies saying OPM ordered us to fire these people, and we disagree that they were poorly performing it. So it's to open and shut pace that they lied and didn't follow the procedure. Problem for the workers is they can just do it again and follow the action procedures, and they're going to release that process very soon, and I think it's going to be a bloodbath for federal workers. Maybe some of these will keep their jobs and they'll you know, go after more senior people or whatever, but a lot of people are still going to lose their jobs.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's right. I think this is definitely temporary, and it's really unfortunate for the tens of thousands of people caught up in it. But it's an interesting, I guess, test of how DOGE was making some of these decisions, which you know, DOGE was originally conceived of as an outside advisory committee basically that would look at these things and then submit recommendations to the agencies, rather than making these decisions on its own and coercing the agencies to comply with the decisions that they've come to and when DOGE took over USDs, there was just like complete confusion about what its authority actually was. Probably that's a problem with Elon Musk coming in and being confused about what the authority actually was. Not confused, maybe like willfully disinterested in the actual mechanism of power. You know, we're going to do this anyway, goes the thinking. But the probationary status has come to be a fascinating question for people involved in DOGE because a lot of the people they've since learned who were on probationary status were the people that they would want to keep, like as a category, because it was people who newly wanted to be a part of the government. So it went from being a really easy slab of fat to cut to actually, well, if you think some of these agencies should continue existing, albeit in a much smaller form. If you use the quote scalpel instead of what did Trump say, the acts hatch, Yeah, the hatchet, then in fact the people that sort of got booted for would probably be the people that you would scalpel in. I think that's going to happen at Defense. I think a lot of these probationary folks at Defense are probably going to end up being okay. But at the other places that I mean, they're trying to get rid of so many people that I agree with Ryan, you know, if you're at AG or something like that, you'll probably still get acxed, maybe even next week.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about that, Emily, that like, some of the people who just just joined were like, Trump won, doges coming, let's go when I join the government and do my public service. And yeah, if you're a person who, like, I mean, you know, probationary lasts for a you know, significant period of time, and as Ryan's point out, and it includes some people who just got promoted been working in the government a long time, but or who have just switched agencies or moved or whatever. But yeah, it didn't occur to me that if you're someone who saw Donald Trump's election and then was like, now's the time when I'm going to work in government service, you probably are someone who is poor aligned with this administration. Then the people who are not on probationary status. To mention, you know, veterans and veterans spouses were more likely to be on probationary status as well.
Speaker 8: You're just an ambitious young person like that's like not that hasn't been shaped and molded by the quote administrative state over the course of decades, a lot of the non probationaries.
Speaker 1: Yeah. True, there was one more federal judge ordered to stop to mass firings in federal agencies except Pentagon, OPM, and NARA, saying the so called reductions enforce broke the law. Employees purportedly terminated our return to government employee. So a similar decision here, I think this one was. This is a separate, even more sweeping order than the one issued by judge. Also, he says earlier today for terminated probationary employees, but it is only a two week reprieve until further litigation takes place. And you know this is the right up here, federal judges order the reinstatement of thousands of federal workers across the huge swap of the federal government. The second judge to order sweeping relief today and reject the mass firings as illegal. So you know, you have a lot of times when these cases are going to court, the challengers are winning, but number one, oftentimes they're a temporary reprieve and number two. Oftentimes, you know, they've moved thirty steps ahead while you were fighting on this ground, and so you know, it just feels like trying to mitigate the damage. I talked to the co president of Public Citizen yesterday, is involved in a bunch of these lawsuits, and that was the way he described it. He's like, Yeah, the court system is really not set up to handle this sort of like full on flood the zone assault, and so you are definitionally just trying to, like you know, from his perspective in mind, contain the damage and try to have something left to rebuild from once these people are ultimately done. So you know, that's kind of the status of where things are with regards to the courts. There was one other piece that I don't know if you guys want to weigh in on, but I saw Trump is pushing for his birthright ending of birthright citizenship to go to Scotus and have them way in on at least part of that. So that was the other big legal decision yesterday.
Speaker 8: And that's one that's been I think engineered in the conservative movement, and there's significant disagreement about this in the conservative movement, but in sort of like Stephen Miller circles. That's something that was intentionally germinated and designed to be tested in the Supreme Court. The way that they ended up doing it, you know, it's sort of the reverse of the probationary employee thing, like this is a very they they set this up very intentionally to be tested in the courts because they think they can with the Supreme Court, they think they can prevail and significantly change the way we approach birthright citizenship through an EO.
Speaker 1: Which would overturn a lot of precedent. And also just like the very like you know, plane meaning English language meaning of the way that the words are written in the Constitution. You know, for a lot of originalists, you would think that would be a problem, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: So the idea here would be if an American citizen participated in a campus protest, that if they had naturalized citizenship, or you know, if their parents were not born in the United States but they were mm hmm, So where would you deport them to. So let's say somebody is born here in the United States, one of their parents is Mexican, one of their parents is Canadian. They protest against Israel, which you can't protest against Israel United States. They they get detained, flow into Louisiana, have their citizenships stripped. Now they're back down to a green cars. They have the green cards stripped. Then where do you send them? Canada, Mexico?
Speaker 8: Like what what's the international waters?
Speaker 2: International water? Peter Thiel's like utopian said them to one of these libertarian cryptos owns, like what is what's the endgame here for an American citizen who protests against Israel in a way that you know, Donald Trump finds offensive? Mm hmm, Like what do they do with him?
Speaker 8: Well, I think that question applies also to people I mean whether or not they're protesting who are the kind of quote unquote anchor baby test case.
Speaker 2: But at least some of those. But if they're not anchor, so quote unquote anchor baby means they were born here in the United States. Somebody like mach Mukhalil. He was born in a refugee camp in Syria and he has Algerian citizenship. So I can imagine, Okay, we're going to deport him to Algeria because that's because he has citizenship there. Like, if that's what they're gonna do, but if you're born in the United States, you're in a United States citizens you have no citizenship anywhere else. Like who that has has? The Stephen Miller crowd thought about this.
Speaker 8: Like, well, it also requires cooperation of a countries, right, and I'm curious how other other countries do don't have birthright citizens.
Speaker 2: Rights might be like, no, we're not, We're not participating in this thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I practical question that I'd.
Speaker 2: Zero answer to.
Speaker 1: Answer Ryan is they don't really care, just not here.
Speaker 2: But they're going to have to figure out is they're just going to keep them in definitely in Guantanamo or they.
Speaker 1: Can just send them to get Mo. Yeah as a plan, right, problem, there's like fifty beds there.
Speaker 2: Good luck. Yeah, well, they could do hundreds, maybe even thousands. I think George H. W. Bush had thousands there at one point.
Speaker 1: The plan is thirty thousand is their goal. Whether they can accomplish that or not is another question. Apparently the few hundred that they had originally sent to Gitmo, they've now is sent elsewhere, either deported them or brought them back actually to the US to DHS facilities here. So in any case, yeah, lots of work out there.
Speaker 8: They definitely don't see that as a successful experiment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think it got them the headlines that they want, you know well, and actually got them a freak out that they want. And I think that was probably most of the goal there, to be honest with you.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, and I think actually I shouldn't even be so glib about it, because I do think that's part of I actually think that did have a deterrent effect based on some of the reporting I've seen from like Mexico and Central America where reporters are just talking to migrants about why they're turning around, and there has been significant number of people like literally getting through the daring gap and turning turning back around because the risk calculation has changed significantly. So yeah, I probably shouldn't have been flipping about that. I think it did to some extent accomplish what they wanted to, which was a like low effort way to deter people from coming in, obviously at the cost of the legal questions for them were building, But it probably in the interim had some deturn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, border crossings is plummeted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about that, No doubt about that. All right, guys, anything else before we let you guys go and get on with your day.
Speaker 8: No, I just wanted to say, your hair looks amazing today, exceptionally good.
Speaker 1: Thank you. You know, I literally did nothing to it this morning. I actually just like woke up and it was just like this. That was kind of a miracle. I don't know what happened, woke up like this. I my hair did anyway, the rest of me not so much.
Speaker 8: Ryan put more effort into his hair than Crystal.
Speaker 1: Ryan looks great. I have to say I feel a little chlobby here. I got my like Elizabeth, there are no situation going here. I was like, you know, and Ryan's sick, yeah, and he's putting in all this all this appearance. Evert Ryan, go rust, get better, take care of your kiddos and link.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people should go look this up. But speaking of our speaking of Makmu Khalil, the Columbia University sent out an email to a lot of people, a lot of its members just now ish saying that there were da chess thugs I don't know what the term they used for them, was in residences with warrants last night looking for more people to grab and deport. It said they failed to find anybody, but they let the community know that there were warrants served for more arrests and deportations, so they're ramping this up.
Speaker 1: There's also an allegation from a student leader at Columbia that the Columbia Board of Trustees was involved in singing DHS on Machmud Khalil specifically. So, like I said, it's an allegation. It's not fully reported on or confirmed. But you know, if you're asking yourself, why did they pick this one to.
Speaker 2: Some of the trustees, who would Yeah, because the trustees are there's some of them on there who would probably have motivation to do that.
Speaker 1: It would be down for that. Yeah, I mean, especially given you know, I mean, I know you've been searching around. Murtaza has been searching around and like looking, Okay, well what did he actually say? And I can promise you like Ryan and I have both said more radical things on this program than and he has been like hell there that they've been able to find that he said, don't I know it? Yeah?
Speaker 8: So well, so I just want to say this is actually goes to a theory that I have, which is the administration was led down a Rosier path, or a path that was less rosy than they thought it was, by people at Columbia who Colombia has had this incredible mobilization since these original protests and the encampment of alumni who are like terrified of what they see as rising anti Semitism at Columbia and furious with Columbia for the way that it's handled the encampments and the protests and everything. And I think that the administration was listening to people who have been intensely emotionally invested in this for like over a year, who had cases that they thought were so strong, like Khalil is a really good one. The administration clearly did not realize that he wasn't on some student visa, and it seems like they were told that he was and they acted really quickly based on This is just a theory. I don't have any reporting him back this up, but just putting the pieces together, I think they were really significantly misled by people who thought that they had clear cut legal slam dunk cases told the administration that, and the administration didn't necessarily do the due diligence that it should have because of the intensity of the cases that have been presented to them by people who have been working on this at Columbia.
Speaker 2: That theory makes sense because if DHS was the one who told the administration, let's go get Makmoud Khalil, DHS would check its system like, FYI, he's a permanent, yes, legal resident, and we can use this obscure law. Believe we can get him out. They would know because they have the data. If the rumor mill of the angry Columbia Trustees or whoever, well they had been tweeting about Paul Trump were like, this guy's a student, this guy's on a student visa. I saw it on Twitter, and it's right, according to Elon Musk, you are better off if you get your news from X. Then let's say, if you'r DHS, you search the actual immigration records. And so yeah, they went in on tweets and then found out that he that they were wrong. And now they might set this like horrific precedent by accident.
Speaker 1: Well, and but on the other hand, now that they are set to this set to you know, lay down this horrific precedent, they don't seem too worried about that, you know, I mean, they're leaning into it. Yeah, Saga asked Caroline Lovett at the podium about it. She was perfectly happy to answer, like, I think maybe they feel like, oh, it works out because we get to lay out the most maximal's case and then all these student visa ones like those are easy. That's nothing after we've been able to strip the you know, the the green card status and to port someone who was a legal permanent resident. And you know, I mean even the fact that, like, you guys did a great work looking at up this Instagram post that all these right wingers were hanging their hat on of him saying you wanted to destroy Western imperialism. You're like the number one that wasn't even his Instagram it's some group. He may not have even seen this Instagram post. And this is what you're like, this is what you're making your case with. And it's really kind of the only specific language example I've seen anyone use with regard to him, and it's this Instagram post that he didn't even directly have anything to do with.
Speaker 2: It's actually kind of annoying because I think there's zero to do with any of the posts.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it's kind of annoying because I think there are genuinely you guys disagree with me on this, since you Sager and I probably do agree on this. I think there actually are cases of people who are here on student visas who like clearly viscerally hate America and probably violated some laws over the course of civil disobedience. And there are cases that would have made this much much stronger than the Khalil case. And it's like this is I think it's indefensible. I think he's just completely stupid. So it's that's I find that very irritating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're you commit a crime, like they have their power to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I would be, you know, arguing against it morally, but I wouldn't be able to argue against it legally. And I don't think you would find anyone on the right really who objected to that. Very few voices would really object to that. And now you have you know, summary wings. I don't want to overstate it, but there is some schism on the right over this, over this action by the administration, and it's just so clearly is a violation of First Amendment rights because the only thing he's he's not charged with a crime. They've made it clear that they're not deporting him or trying to deport him based on allegations of criminal behavior. Just Marco Rubio's assessment that his speech is political speech, is you know, this devastating blow to the US foreign policy priorities social security. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So one last anecdote is, so in two thousand and two, when I was doing a bunch of anti Iraq war organizing, I was at the University of Maryland and there were a bunch of Chinese students on student visas and they wanted to help, but they were like, if we get in any trouble, like, we will be out of here tomorrow. So we would meet at four am to go put the wax, you know, you're like, dip your posters in wax and then put them up on the put them up on the flyers, and to announce the rallies and stuff. So so students have always understood that, and particularly ones that grew up in China would have a much more visceral understanding of what a police state looks like. So yeah, there's it's different than for a Greenheart green card holder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well could have been assumed to be different for a Green card holder, but apparently not which the green card holder. Yeah, now in court. All right, guys, thank you so much as always, and everybody out there, have a wonderful weekend. If anything crazy happens today, like for example, if Democrats fail to buckle as Ryme put it earlier and Shaka ISLAMI we'll do an update later in the day, but otherwise soccer and I will see you guys on Monday. Have a great day.