Speaker 1: Hello Internet, and welcome to this afternoon edition of the Zeit Wing.
Speaker 2: Is pretty weird. Huh? That is our trending episode title, because yeah, this is just so stupid.
Speaker 1: The weird shit, the weirdo stuff is still got them and just they don't know what to do. The couch fucking shit is still continuing to run amok on the right.
Speaker 2: It's everything we love to see. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I'm Miles. I'm joined by Brian the Editor. Brian the Editor, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Hi? Hits me, Brian the Editor. I'm here, you're here.
Speaker 1: And we're here to tell you what is trending today. On this Tuesday, July thirtieth, twenty twenty four, Joe Biden is trending because he announced some major Supreme Court reforms via Washington Post op ed. He wants to limit justices terms to eighteen years, introduce a binding code of ethics, and is also proposing a constitutional amendment called the no No One is Above the Law Amendment, which basically reverses the Supreme Court's recent presidents can just do whatever the fuck they want to ruling.
Speaker 2: No. I know this is a podcast, but if you hear like a weird noise in the background. That's me rolling my fucking eyes. Oh wow wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean look, this is definitely like one of those things where you go, that's a I like the sentiment, but maybe this is something that could have happened, you know, like earlier in the term, because right now there's really I don't know where there's the political capital or will to actually get this done. But again, we like the sentiment because at the very least that is something that needs to happen, like we need actual term limits, like we need a way to you know, rein in the Supreme Court. But like the Code of Ethics thing, it's hard to know, like it has to truly be binding because right now they have a code of Ethics which they just roll their eyes at and they're like yeah, yeah, yeah, more on that later. I'm taking this RV money, try to do something to me, So yeah, this is what you know. He even agrees that these are mostly symbolic, but again that's that's it's kind of tough to hear symbolic change.
Speaker 2: When you Needreame Court literally said presidents can do whatever the fuck they want, and he's just not really taking the queue, don't I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean, I think this is one of those things. It's like you need to say something because it's bad. But again, you functionally, where how does this happen? How do you make this actual law? How do you get these constitutional amendments passed?
Speaker 2: How do you make motherfuckers stop running wild? Yeah? How too?
Speaker 1: We just don't know yet, But this is the monster that has been created in the Supreme Court. Uh So, at least the at least maybe he's trying to normalize presidents, saying that we need term limits. Sure, but then we need people who will actually turn that into tangible action. So then we don't have to worry about the Supreme Court taking bribes or you know, whatever you want to call it, gift pains and then not recusing themselves from relevant cases or just you know, basically doing whatever they want. But anyway, that is why Joe Biden is trending. The other thing that's trending Disneyland. So we talked about their union, fourteen thousand members strong union for the people that work Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Everybody but Gary voted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ninety nine percent voted to authorize a strike if they don't ratify a contract or get the contract that they.
Speaker 2: Felt was fair.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what Disney knows that this is like the height of the season for people to be coming in the summer, you know what I mean, like with kids out of school, and to shut down would be a disaster financially. And on Monday, it turns out the resorts unionized workers ratified a three year deal that includes a twenty four twenty four dollars hourly minimum wage this year, more for some other jobs, regular wage increases, seniority increases, more flexible attendance and sick leave policies, and other benefits. Most of these employees will be receiving an increase of six dollars and ten cents per hour over the next three years, and the contract goes into effect immediately upon ratification.
Speaker 2: So look, hey.
Speaker 1: Man, unions, there're it's like it's it's like when you get together collectively, things can be achieved, like to see Disneyland have to figure out.
Speaker 2: Look, man, yeah, you actually we rely on them to make the billions of dollars.
Speaker 1: Some people are wondering if this will result in higher ticket prices, because that's a lot of things you always hear out of C suites to be like.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if we do that, then everything's going to be more expensive.
Speaker 1: But as of now it seems that the ticket prices are stable. But this is only again after I mean, it's only gone up since the pandemic. Yeah, because their whole, their whole business strategy was well, let's just only appeal to the people that can just.
Speaker 2: Waste tons of money here at a time and other people. May I remember with the whole that that's Star Wars Hotel. Do you remember that? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, and it's like it didn't work. Prices on that yeah, were so wild for like a weekend, and you know that they have they still have that kind of pull with certain types of people where it's like, yeah, we'll empty our bank accounts for this experience.
Speaker 1: Good people take loans out to go do that because it's sort of like embedded in American culture of like the Disneyland trip or Disney World trip. So yeah, good to see them paying. People love to see workers win. Bless y'all. And before we take a break, Beyroot is trending because Israel has bombed a target in Bairut, Lebanon in retaliation for what they said was an attack from Hesbola over the weekend, where twelve young people were killed. This seems like a pretty big escalation. The Israeli government has said that this is the end of it. This is their response. They're not looking for a larger salation, but it I don't know. Again, I think violence begets violence, uh, And I don't see how this will end things. And meanwhile, there there there's a lot of unrest happening within Israel over the arrest of Israeli soldiers who were accused of you know, sexually abusing detainees, torturing detainees. Uh. These are Palestinian prisoners that they've taken from Goza. Many are just people who get caught up in sweeps. And the arrest of these Israeli soldiers has kicked off a lot of unrest, you know, for people even arguing on Behalf that what these soldiers did was heroic. So a lot happening there right now. And I we'll see, we'll see, we'll see how diplomatic channels are able to I don't know, quell things. But as it stands, I don't seeing the footage of of the bombing that happened in Beirut, that's not doesn't doesn't fill me with feelings of peace. But yes, that's the current state of things at the moment. Fun, let's take a quick break. Yeah, because meanwhile, evangelicals are like they're they're like raw ring, They're like, please use nuclear arms against Gaza so we can defeat.
Speaker 2: Like they're really trying to this whole Christian Zionism. They're they're they're trying to they're trying to bring the rapture. I know. That's what's so wild, is like they're like, it's so hard for the rapture and yeah, and then no one will just say it, no one will just say out loud. It's like, yeah, we're like, look, we need to set certain things in motion so that Jesus can come back, so Jesus could come back.
Speaker 1: Or it's like the leftovers, we'll see one of the two, just one of the two his wrinkle, piles of clothes everywhere. Yeah, but yeah, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back with some more stories after this, and we're thank you. Hey man, what I tell you about that? Bro, don't sun me on the on the show and it makes me look bad when I'm sorry. All right, edit this part in and we are back authoritatively. Nothing happened before what you just heard.
Speaker 2: Please edit that out. Let's see.
Speaker 1: Oh, the American Flag Act is trending because just past the All American Flag Act Serious business, basically a new rule that will ensure that all US flags be completely manufactured domestically. Senator Susan Collins claimed that this will quote honor the flags significance while also supporting American jobs.
Speaker 2: Versions of this hill Susan, what is the flag significance?
Speaker 1: Okay, America, and we love America, don't we.
Speaker 2: I just want to kiss the flag, don't you. That's I think that's what it means. It's not the American people sjuggling, but hey, where do we get the cheap flag?
Speaker 1: So this is something that has been happening since like two thousand and three where people are like that it's an outrage that our flags are not being made in the United States, and like, there have been proposals going back to the eighties. There was the American Flag Fidelity Act that was banning the imports of foreign made American flags. In twenty eleven, it was reported that ninety four percent of flags imported into the United States came from China. Oh and the jingoistic paranoia around China made flags, I think, as people expect, is stupid because while the vast majority of flags imported into the US are from China, there's still a small fraction of the flags that are actually sold overall. And the you know, quote unquote typical American flag that is coming from China or like the little plastic ones that people wave at like parades and shit like that, not the ones that they use for are very important ceremonies and football games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are made in Bangladesh.
Speaker 1: Right, So yeah, it's not really I mean, I guess a problem aside from you know, saying like this, this is about America and patriotism, so the flags should be made in America. It's like Republicans are really passionate about this, but it's also the Republicans who are responsible for this issue in the first place.
Speaker 2: So, like one of the things that led to this.
Speaker 1: So you know, when Trump had all these tariffs on Chinese goods, for some reason, he didn't include American flags on the list of Chinese imports that would be affected.
Speaker 2: Especially Yeah, yeah, he's just like.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's like, uh, you know, maybe stuff with anchovy products, stuff with zinc in it. What about the American fan, I don't worry about that. Don'try about that. Don'try about that. And back in the eighties, the House and Senate passed a bill to protect the domestic textile industry, with foreign made flags being like a big talking point at the time. But Reagan vet told it because he said it was you know, he's I'm acting in the best interest of consumers and workers. So that is why the boy nixed that bill.
Speaker 2: And here we are. It's about free trade, baby.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's always funny to me when like people talk about like it's made in America, like in wearing like these maidens. Like this is something that was pointed out, like of especially like Maga hats too, that it's all about making America great again. But they're seldom made in America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those political slogan t shirts that you see in uh, let's be real, most parts of America. Yeah, yeah, they're all they're all made in China. They're all drop chipped. Yeah. And you know, most of those people who like do those things, it's like they're playing both sides. They make anti Trump and anti Biden shirts. Right, so everybody, oh yeah, yeah, they know how to sell baby, they know how to sell those phrase t shirts. But yeah, I've seen a lot. It's weird that it's like, it's a funny issue to me because one of the things that you could take pride in in your country is like your industries. Yeah, but all of ours have been yeah, bounced on out, sent away, right, And yeah, it's just like that that's like a huge potential point of actual pride, because pride is it's it's a sense of you know, accomplishment. Yeah, something to be proud of. Yeah, yeah, merely being born somewhere is not something to be proud of, right, you had no choice in the matter, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Well you know this is I guess the boomerang of capitalism. You know, it's cheaper to have stuff made elsewhere, so we'll do that. Oops, now, were mad the flags aren't made here? And but hey, but you know, the people who owned the businesses have made a lot of money, so maybe it doesn't matter to them.
Speaker 2: It's such a prevalent things like I don't want any I remember I was looking up a slide whistle because I think I think they're funny. I've always just wanted to carry a slide whistle, but I don't have that kind of rihiz. That's and that's that's next level. That's like final boss level. People people were straight up like where was this made? I don't want anything made in China? In my mouth? Like I'm just like, holy shit, wow, that's very specific. It's very specific, Like what, yeah, what is do you think? I'm sorry, sir, you're probably typing. There's on a fucking iPhone, right, Yeah, nothing made here? Yeah, there was nothing to take pride in.
Speaker 1: That's the irony of our education and most people's awareness of what is happening here. That yeah, that you could be like everything, everything's probably made here. Wait no it isn't. Oh huh huh. Didn't think of that. And then just to I've gotta circle back on the gift that keeps on giving.
Speaker 2: Does J d Vance have sex with couches? And what kind of couch?
Speaker 1: And is he weird? This is currently taking up so much of the oxygen on the right. It's baffling how the defense is against being weird or jd Vance does in fact not do sex. Stuff with upholstered items is a huge talking point. Jesse Waters yesterday had a real hard time dealing with this. It's just wild to hear like these pundits like dignify what was just a joke tweet that's not real but has captured the minds of people on the internet, and how they have to push back against it. So this is Jesse Waters. Just here's Jesse Waters having to talk about it on his show. They're accusing jd Vance of having sex with a couch.
Speaker 2: Yo. You know, like tangentially reminds me of of Like it kind of reminds me of I guess the philosophy of a rap beef since we just had such such a big rap beef. Like it's like the Drake situation. All it has to be is believable. Yeah, it doesn't have to be true true, but all people have to do is like believe that you're weird or something's off and it will just stick. Yeah, the brand Isa, you can't get it off of you. Yeah, true, it's there's no there's no way to rebut someone calling you a weirdo, what do you think There's nothing you can say? Yeah, and just going.
Speaker 1: No like they are. It's again, it's it's so true. The economy of language there is is is mind blowing. Anyway, I'll let Jesse Waters continue is is upset monologue.
Speaker 2: Not on account with the count. It's a weird thing to do. That's a weird thing. They're calling him weird.
Speaker 1: I don't think Kamala Harris is going to pick anyone as weird and creepy as Jade Vance.
Speaker 2: Frankly, jd Vance just dumb Vance is pretty weird. It's not just a weird style that he brings. It's that this leads to weird policies. They're just weird. Donald Trump and is Weirdo running made We're extreme, more weird, more erradical. The agenda, the way they talk to people, the way they address people, it is bizarre. It's weird.
Speaker 1: It is weird.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just plain weird.
Speaker 1: Democrats made up a story about jd Vance having sex with a cow and called them weird one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Times this weekend. Wow, they got the weird counter.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is called and well did you inherit this apartment because you are living rent free?
Speaker 2: What is going on here? What is going on? They? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it's also interesting to see how like they're also saying that it's from that is the reason, like it's the couch thing that makes it weird. And rather than summing up all of their like hateful rhetoric, all of their regressive worldviews, their hateful world views and merely just branding that as weird, to say, like that is actually not the norm for people, that is not the normal way to view a person who's in the LGBTQ community, or an immigrant or a woman of color or women is just weird. And that has been a huge thing because a lot of it for the longest time, you know, Republicans wanted to say, like we're the ones who are upholding what is normal. This other shit that's going on, that's the weird stuff. That's We're not weird, they're weird, and to be painted with this brush is wow uh completely causing much cock nittive discomfort for them.
Speaker 2: So Jesse, Meanwhile, the rest of the world is like America is fucking weird. I know, they're like, yo, what the whole country all of y'all are weird?
Speaker 1: They could stop wars over there, and they're talking about a dude having sex with.
Speaker 2: A couch, Like, are these people for fucking real.
Speaker 1: Sorry on serious country. Sorry, this is an unseerious place. And for everybody who I mean so much is resting on this election, then this is where the discourse is.
Speaker 2: That's just where we're at.
Speaker 1: This is America, and these are the vibrations or the vibes.
Speaker 2: I do have to say, I attempted watching somebody that work was talking about Veep recently and I was like, oh, yeah, I never watched that show. Let me check it out. And man, political satire does not hold a fucking candle to real life. Real life is so much funnier, right, It's so much funnier. And it's just like I'm like, wow, this is this is well written, this is it's a good show. But watching Trump try and give a speech is ten times funnier. Yeah, And that's truly, it's disturbing and hilarious. Truly.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well, they continue to struggle with it, maybe because like you're painful, rhetoric and stuff like that is off putting to a lot of people. You don't want to These are not the people that you want to lead the country. And again, Democrats have found a way to just do the thing where they label the right and it's like not, it's still really not about I mean, it partially is about policy, but rather than being like, damn, they're weird, huh, like the their the favorite movies, like well what about over there? They're right used to be like they're scary, they're fascists, now like pretty weird huh.
Speaker 2: And Ite's like, yep.
Speaker 1: It's wild how much this is taking up our discussion about the election. And I don't think it's it's going to end because there are like on Twitter, dude, there's so many people trying to like figure out like what someone said. It's some dude tweeted weird is the n word for independent thinkers.
Speaker 2: And you're like, yoh, why do white folks have such a like an oppression boner, Like I mean, because he's literally vying for at least like damn it, we need it slur.
Speaker 1: No, truly, because I think if you're contending with the history of the United States, that has always been the oppressive group, uh, the oppressors, and what's embrace.
Speaker 2: That that there's never been like a like a slur for white people that really hits. Yeah, there's never been one. Yeah, it's hard, but they still pretend that like oh, this or that. It's like yeah, they're like, really, that's all we got. Yeah, I mean I think that's why they point. Well, it's uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I wish there were I think just merely calling Republicans weird at the moment is I think the closest I've seen to something like that. But anyway, that's twenty twenty four America, and here we are November. Take your time, even though we're on the doorstep of August. Yikes, man, Brian, thank you so much for joining me. We're going to be back tomorrow with a brand new episode. So till then, take care of yourselves, take care of each other, get the vaccine, get your flu shots, wear a mask, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and don't.
Speaker 2: Do nothing about these weirdos. You feel me, weird ass motherfucker. All right, we'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,