Speaker 1: Facebook has big changes in store. Google.
Speaker 2: Now let's you self destruct your web history. There's a new number two smartphone maker, and I'll give you a hint.
Speaker 1: It's not Apple.
Speaker 2: Netflix delivers better sound plus as always your questions, what's going on on?
Speaker 1: Rich dmiro?
Speaker 2: This is Rich on Tech, the podcast that talks about the consumer tech things I think you should know about.
Speaker 1: Joining me as always is producer Megan.
Speaker 3: Hello, how are you going on?
Speaker 4: You know the usual, just living in the tech world, Live in the tech dream, Live in the tech dream.
Speaker 1: You change your Twitter handle, which is very exciting.
Speaker 4: I did, yes, I mean I was inspired because you kept mentioning I should just make it producer Megan, and it was available, so I went for it.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you since you changed it to producer Megan, your follower count has gone up.
Speaker 4: Uh it has. I mean I've got twenty new followers.
Speaker 1: That's huge.
Speaker 3: I know, it's very excited.
Speaker 1: That's a big deal.
Speaker 3: So thanks for the love.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I'll let you start looking at some of the questions and you can kind of figure out what you want to ask first, and then I'll get into my first story here.
Speaker 1: Which is Facebook.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about Facebook, they had their big F eight. It used to be I thought it was the FA Developers Conference, but now it's just the F eight conference. Five thousand developers, creators, and entrepreneurs around the world.
Speaker 1: All the major tech companies do this.
Speaker 2: They have a big event every year where they kind of talk about what they want to do that year. They show off some new features. And Facebook showed off a lot of stuff. I mean, none of it is truly like, oh my gosh, it's unbelievable, But there are a lot of things. I'll unpack a few of them just quickly here. So let's just start with Messenger. Basically, they are putting all their bets on Messenger, right so they want Messenger to be the preferred messaging app, and to do that, they're making it simpler. They're making it faster, They're making the app smaller so it's easier to download. They're making it so you can watch This is always funny to me, watch videos with your friends and chat out about them at the same time. Oh yeah, small use case scenario, I feel like, but I could see how that could be fun.
Speaker 3: It's an Instagram thing, I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, so that's okay.
Speaker 2: The other thing is they're they're releasing desktop apps for both Windows and Mac, which I think is huge because that way you can finally have a good competitor to I Message, because right now, if you want a message with Messenger on, you have to use the website.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 2: So Facebook itself is getting a brand new look. Have you seen this on your phone yet? Megan, No, it's like all white. It's like the blue is gone.
Speaker 3: So only this haven't updated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at the app. It's pretty crazy. Groups are front and center. And Megan, you told me use groups, right, so you're big on groups.
Speaker 3: That is all I use on facebee.
Speaker 2: And apparently that's all other people use because now they're saying that this is like front and center. And I never even realized I was a part of a couple groups till they put this front and center. Now I'm like, oh, I'm part of three groups, so maybe. And I was also unclear as to my activity in those groups if it was public or private. But if it's private, I'd be much more, you know, app to post in those groups, because I didn't realize that that was all private. Maybe some groups are public, I don't know. Probably this is interesting they're going to do a feature called secret Crush, not in the US, but in other countries. Maybe it'll come to you a slater. You basically pick nine friends who you are interested in romantically, and your friends pick nine people that they're interested in romantically, and if any of you match, you'll get like a secret crush.
Speaker 3: So it'll tell you you two like each other.
Speaker 1: Right, It's kind of like third grade.
Speaker 3: That's cute, it is.
Speaker 2: And I think it's smart because you know, if you have someone on your list and you're like, oh, man, of only if only?
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you know.
Speaker 2: And I think the only danger of this it's kind of how they implement it. What if you just pick like nine new people every day and you're just basically phishing to see if, like, any of your friends have a crush on you. Right, there must be a way that they're stopping you from, Like you can only change it once a quarter or something, right, Right. The other thing about Instagram, they are well, the other cool thing about Facebook is they are helping you meet new friends, so not just like dating and stuff. They're basically doing the equivalent of dating, but for just like new friends in general.
Speaker 1: So well, I think it's.
Speaker 4: It's similar with like groups, as you can meet people through groups on Facebook, so that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Like and a lot of the people that are unearthing are gonna be from your groups, so they'll be like you both like wine and books like you should be friends. That's like everyone though, Yeah, true, mostly Netflix and books for a lot of people. And finally, with Instagram, you're gonna be able to hide likes. They're testing this in Canada. No word if it's coming to the US. But that's a big one too, because I'm kind of torn on that. I see the appeal of it for you know, in high school, I could understand why you'd want that one hundred percent. Like you don't need if you're a student in seventh grade, you don't need to see like how many likes someone has on a picture. If you're someone like me, that's kind of like, you know, a public figure. I understand why likes are important on my posts because people like to see what's popular what's not. I like to see what resonates. The person posting will still be able to see the likes that they get, but you kind of have to request them. So it's not like a parent you have to like go in and like take one extra step.
Speaker 3: So yeah, very interesting.
Speaker 2: Anyways, A yeah, lots of stuff Facebook is doing that. That's from their FA conference. Next week, by the way, is Google, so I'll be up there to see what they have in store. And then after that it's Apple, So lots of new news from these folks. Personally, I get really frustrated with all this because I just want the new features today. I don't want to wait, and they always make you wait. Yeah, all right, Megan, producer, Megan, do you have a question for me?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: This first question comes from Jill. Subject is recommendation for a smart TV. Can you recommend a great smart TV? We want to cut the cord. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: This is always a popular question and people don't really buy TVs more like it's like a once every like ten years kind of thing, right, Yeah, so I think the most popular, i'd say, are the common kind of answer for this right now is the TCL six series. Remember we did a segment on it here at KTLA. So this this TV is super popular because it's a great TV. It's fifty five inch TV that has everything you need, four K, all the streaming apps. It's got Roku built in, so you get all the streaming apps, you get great color.
Speaker 3: This is what I have.
Speaker 1: Oh you have this one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but not the sixth series. I think it's the five series the year before. But it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I love it, and they're still selling the four series.
Speaker 2: I'm going to see people at cost go buying that. But the best part about this TV is it's a great value. So you're talking six hundred and forty nine dollars for the fifty five inch, nine hundred ninety nine dollars for the sixty five inch, eighteen ninety nine for the seventy five inch. So when I get my next TV, it will definitely be a sixty five inch screen because the fifty five inches is cramping my style a little bit right now, even though I thought that was huge when I first got it, right, Yeah, So let's see what it is on Amazon. Those are the suggested you know, retail prices on Amazon. The fifty five inch four K Ultra HD Roku Smart Led TV from TCL is five hundred and twenty one dollars. Wow, that's amazing. Seventy five inch is fifteen hundred and sixty dollars. All right, great, question, love that question.
Speaker 4: TVs are just they're getting better and better and they're also getting cheaper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, time like everything with all the technology.
Speaker 2: But you know, you gotta I like that because it's a great value, you know, Like, that's really So if you want the best, probably Sony. If you want the second best, i'd say Samsung. If you want the best, O lead, go with LG. But I think you'll be happy with the TCL.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So Google is doing this new thing where obviously you know that Google keeps track of everything that you do in your life, whatever you search for, whatever you watch on YouTube, wherever you drive. It is collecting everything about you. And for the most part, that's actually a good thing in a lot of ways because you know, why do you think Google, when you search, comes up with the right answer pretty quickly, Because when you start typing the words into that search bar, it's using all the data it knows about you. So when you start typing you know, tropical, it already knows that you're looking for a tropical cruise versus a tropical drink, right based on your search history, So it might put tropical cruise Bahamas, tropical cruise.
Speaker 1: You know Antarctica. That doesn't Those don't really go together. But you know what I'm saying. See, Google is smart, so so it knows.
Speaker 2: And the reason why it knows is because of all your history that you give to it. Well, you can always go in and kind of delete some of this stuff out of there. And clearly people are very you know, concerned about what Google knows about them. Well, now Google is letting you automatically scrub your search history, so you can choose a time limit that they keep it between three and eighteen months, and after that time, Google will just go ahead and get rid of it, which I think is fine. I mean, they don't need it, I know.
Speaker 1: But see the way I feel, I kind.
Speaker 2: Of love the idea of all this history that I'm leaving on the web in like twenty years.
Speaker 1: I want to look at it, you know, like even with pictures. I noticed this.
Speaker 2: It's like you forget that you took this picture of your kid, you know, all these little things, and like, I don't know, maybe I want to notice searching for back in you know, twenty eighteen when I'm sixty, you know, I think that might be interesting. Yeah, like new Motorola smartphone, you know, what I mean with like four K video and we're at like twenty five K.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. I mean, but I think eighteen months a good amount of time. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean anyway, I'll tell you how to do it. So you go to Google Account, which is on your Android phone or you can find it on your iPhone. Under the Google app, go to Data and Personalization, manage your activity controls, then choose web and app a web and app activity, and then choose to delete automatically and select the timeframe that you want, and then say confirm. So this is these directions are from the next Web. I tried to do this on my phone. I don't have it just yet. Google says it's rolling out in the next couple of weeks. So if you try those directions and they don't work, try again in a couple of weeks, because this is rolling out to everyone. So I don't know, let me know what you think you're gonna do this. I'm kind of torn.
Speaker 1: I don't want to sounds like you're not.
Speaker 2: I don't want to obliterate my history, Like I like history, and I feel like it's one of these things that like in the future I might be like, oh, would have been nice to see like all that stuff, or even my location history, like so if you get rid of that, Like I love my location history because it tells me everywhere I've been in the world. And I love going to Google Maps and like looking at my timeline and being like, where did I go in New Zealand because I forget it's been so many years it's all on there. If that's obliterated, I feel so sad.
Speaker 4: I never thought of the history, like your past history, to be like that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like a photo album exactly.
Speaker 2: And I know everyone's scared of like their history on Google, but like the reality is, I don't know, there are some fun aspects to having all that stuff, all right, Megan.
Speaker 4: Next question, Okay, next question has to do with internet and Wi Fi.
Speaker 3: It comes from Joyce.
Speaker 4: She says, Hi, Rich, I have AT and T for my internet and my WiFi, which is wireless. Can you tell me what I could buy to illuminate that sixty dollars bill every month?
Speaker 3: I do stream Netflix.
Speaker 4: I cut my cable cord and bought an indoor antenna so that I could get my local channels and Roku for entertaining, which costs me less than a month of basic cable. Now, I would like to get rid of my AT and T monthly bill if I can. I have smart TVs and I have an iPhone. I hope you can help me with something that I don't know anything about.
Speaker 1: Joyce. Joyce, right, Joyce, Okay, Uh, not gonna happen. You can't. You can't, Joyce.
Speaker 2: You can't have the best of everything without paying for anything.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So there is no magical formula for getting streaming content without an Internet connection. And what you're talking about is you're referring to AT and T WiFi, but I'm assuming you mean you have AT and T Internet in your house and it's coming through your WiFi.
Speaker 1: And I get this question a lot.
Speaker 2: Actually, people cut the cord and they want to know, like, how do I get rid of my internet bill?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, you can't.
Speaker 2: And the cable companies know this, which is why they love when you cut the cord, because guess what happens when you cut the cord. Your internet prices go up, and they go up and up and up, just like cable prices did back in the day. So I know I started out at like gosh, I think it was like thirty five ninety and then I went up to forty five. Now I'm up to sixty five dollars a month for Internet because Spectrum knows that, like, that's the only thing I get from them. What am I going to do? Go somewhere else? Maybe, but I don't feel like dealing with that. So Joyce you really can't get rid of your Wi Fi from AT and T. I will give you some hope for the future, though. So you've got two things happening. Number one, the wireless companies and AT and T included, they're all building these five G networks, So eventually you will be able to subscribe to five G for your home internet, depending on how they structure things. But Verizon has already tried this in LA in a very small area, but T Mobile has plans to do this. AT and T hasn't really said they're going to do this. But the reality is five G will be so good that eventually you will be able to replace your home internet with five G and now will be from the same people AT and T, T Mobile.
Speaker 1: Verizon, perhaps Sprint.
Speaker 2: But the reality is you'll have more competition right now when it comes to these fixed lines that come to our homes. We generally have one to two options, and this will give more options. It'll be from the same giants, but hopefully the prices will be a little bit more competitive and you can kind of hop around easier because there are so many more options. So that's a ways off, though, we're talking like two to three years from now. I'd say maybe in LA a little bit sooner, but that's kind of like the bigger picture. The other thing to look forward to is satellite internet, like laser internet that Elon Musk wants to do. So he's launching all these satellites right now around the world that will beam internet. I don't know how fast or good it's going to be. Hopefully it's good. But that's another option. So I'm trying to give you a little bright side.
Speaker 1: In the future. Would not be free, Okay, No, nothing's free, Megan. You know, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Internet is like water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they know they got you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to me, like, what would you rather have turned off in your home? The internet or the water?
Speaker 3: The internet? Okay, I want to be able to shower.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just saying, like, shoot, what would you do well, i'd say probably, yeah, Internet, I hate when the water's off. It is it's I know we're sounding very first world right now, but yeah, all right, smartphones this these numbers are just wild. So in the US, when you think smartphones, you think Samsung and Apple, right, and for the most part you really think Apple.
Speaker 1: A lot of people.
Speaker 2: It seems like Apple has a lock on the US, right, and then Samsung of course. Now these are numbers from IDC.
Speaker 1: Number one.
Speaker 2: Smartphone shipments in general are just down down almost seven percent year over year. So what does that tell you? Tells you that everyone who has a smartphone pretty much has one at this point.
Speaker 1: And it's just kind of like shuffling the deck, like rearranging the chairs, like I want this, I want a Samsung, now I want an Apple, and I want I have an Apple, now I want a Samsung. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: The companies are just no one's doing very well except for the Chinese companies. So let's just go with Samsung. They saw volumes drop eight percent. They still shipped seventy one million phones in the first three months of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: They are the number one in the smartphone market. The Galaxy S ten is doing really well for them. But here's the deal. Number two is now Huawei. This is the Chinese company that like basically America is at odds with because they think they're spying on us, so we can't buy their phones. But the rest of the world loves their phones. Yeah, and they're number two. Now they here's the crazy part about them. They have a year over year growth of fifty percent, which means they're grown fast.
Speaker 3: That's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now they only sold fifty nine million phones in the first quarter, but they have a nineteen percent market share. Now here's Apple, lovely Apple. Here US company. They had a challenging first quarter. They only shipped thirty six million phones. So think about that. They shipped thirty six million, Samsung did seventy one million, almost double. But you know, there's a lot of different you know, Samsung makes a lot of different phones. Yeah, but here's their decline thirty percent year over year.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, I me. So it feels like are people switching to different phones? They are? They just kind of they happy with their iPhone? Who knows.
Speaker 2: But they did try to do some trade in deals. Clearly consumers didn't really care the other companies on this list Jaomi, Vivo, and Opo, which are all I believe Chinese companies. I know Jaomi is and Vivo and Opo are I believe are all China anyway, wild huh? All right, So I just like to do that because it gives you a little perspective because in America we're so America centric and iPhone and I message, But there's a whole world out there, and Samsung is dominant in that world. Huawei now really dominant. Apple actually has to catch up, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: Will they do it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I had never heard of Huawei up until recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't hear about them much in the US, but they have a really nice phone. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, speaking of Huawei, I do have a question, and this was on Twitter from Peter John. He asks here in Canada, Huawei thirty pro is being promoted heavily. It has a leaka cameralika leika.
Speaker 3: What can you tell me about huawees?
Speaker 1: What can I tell you? Great question? What a good segue. So, I mean, here's the deal. Huawei.
Speaker 2: In my time that I've tested them, they give you it's kind of like Samsung. They give you a lot of bang for your buck, right, So they have very premium phones. I personally, the last time I tested one of these was like a year or two ago, and it.
Speaker 1: Kind of like it's it was good, but it wasn't their best.
Speaker 2: Like I have not tested their last one, which I think was a P twenty Pro, and now they have the P thirty proky So these phones. When I look at my friends on Twitter and Facebook and YouTube talking about these phones, they cannot say good enough things. Basically, I'm looking at the website DxO Mark, which kind of ranks all the mobile phones. Huawei P thirty Pro is number one with one hundred and twelve score out of one hundred or no, I guess it goes over one hundred. Samsung Galaxy S ten is number two, then the Huawei May twenty pros number three, Huawei P twenty pros number four, Samsung number five, then Jaomi and then Apple what so, Yeah, so you're talking. Their phone, according to this website is one, one, two, three, four, five steps above the iPhone Tennis Max, which is what I carry, and I think it's pretty darn good.
Speaker 3: That is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what can I tell you is go out and get it. Yeah, I missed his name.
Speaker 4: What was his name is Peter, John Peter Peter, Vancouver.
Speaker 2: Okay, So yeah, go out and get it. I mean, if you're with your country, I do too. So actually was going to email Huawei to get a sample to check out because I'm getting so many questions and interest. I just want to see for myself, like is this thing really this amazing? Like people just rave about it. The only downside I could see from my standpoint is I've used their software and I'm not a huge fan of it. But Samsung has a lot of their software on it, and I'm not a huge fan of that. But I kind of manage and so you know, I'll do anything for a good camera.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a dumb question. Yeah, is Huawei.
Speaker 3: Are the Huawei phones considered androids?
Speaker 1: Yes, Huawei is Android.
Speaker 2: That so basically like in the world at this point, there's only Android and iOS, Like, there's really not another phone type at this point.
Speaker 1: So there's there.
Speaker 2: Used to be Windows Phone, Windows Mobile, and there might be one.
Speaker 1: I'm forgetting that.
Speaker 2: If you guys are listening to the podcast and you you know hear one that I'm forgetting, let me know. But I Android and iOS is basically at this point speaking of I guess we'll keep the trend going with mobile stuff. But I thought this was I always find numbers. I'm a numbers guy. I love numbers, even though I don't understand them. I'm like a big math person. I just love knowing things that are numbers based, right, And so this is, uh, this is the latest numbers when it comes to smart watches. And I know, Megan, you're thinking of getting a smart watch. Every time we talk about them, I could see you're like.
Speaker 1: Yes, I need I need one.
Speaker 2: So I always love to know kind of like who's doing well in the smart watch area. And we know who's doing number one. Apple, Yeah, so they're they're king okay.
Speaker 3: Right, and then Samsung, I don't know, that's a guest.
Speaker 1: Yes, Samsung's number two.
Speaker 2: And actually hold on, let me see quarter one. Yeah and sample No, see that's okay. See that's interesting you say that because Google really has no smartphone game or a smart watch game right now. They they don't have their own they have they make they make smart watch software called where os, and so far it hasn't caught on in a huge way. They bought fossil like part of them, you know, fossil, So they bought I think part of fossil like last year, and so they're trying to do that. But when you look at like, okay, so let me just go through the numbers. You've got Apple at number one with thirty five percent market share in the first quarter. Then you got Samsung with eleven percent. So for every this thing, this article, this is let's see who is this that I'm reading off? I should know the source, Counterpoint Technology Market Research. So they say that one out of every three watches sold is basically an Apple Watch.
Speaker 1: Which makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: That's the one you see everywhere, right, I mean a lot of people have. I just saw it, like just among parents, you know, because that's who mostly hang out with. It's like I just couldn't believe, like all of a sudden, I'm just seeing on every wrist an Apple Watch.
Speaker 1: Like it went from like zero to like, oh my.
Speaker 3: Gosh, totally zero to one hundred.
Speaker 2: Number one feature is really the health features, and I love I went for a jog run yesterday and it's just I've tried a lot of these devices and the Apple Watch is just amazing. It truly is like I think it's better. I actually like it better than the iPhone to be honest at this point.
Speaker 3: Like wow, yeah, that's a big statement.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think the iPhone does me to order.
Speaker 2: But when I sit there and like think about, like if I ever had to give up the iPhone, like what I'd feel bad giving up the Apple Watch.
Speaker 1: iPhone. I can switch to Android, no big deal.
Speaker 2: I love Android, but the Apple Watch you can't get a lot of the features in in such a nice way in other places. So let me just go through the rest of them. You've got Samsung and eleven percent. You've got Eyemu next at nine percent, then Fitbit at five percent, then Amaze, fit Huawei, Fossil, Garman and all others are twenty seven percent. So basically, what this tells me is that Apple has a lion's share and everyone else is just getting scraps right now. So that also tells me there's a big opportunity here to make a great smart watch. So Google has a huge opportunity. A lot of people are saying they might make something called the pixel Watch, which is like their version of a smart watch, you know, for like, because think about it, if you have an Android phone, you have to either go with the Samsung smart Watch, which their latest one, the Galaxy Watch we saw is really beautiful, like I would consider that one, and then after that it really drops off pretty fast.
Speaker 1: They're like, what's your other option? A fippit.
Speaker 2: Fippits don't really integrate with the operating system as well, but they have nice functionality. They're not as like sexy though, you know, like the the Apple Watch is really nice. I think the Galaxy Watch is like sexier, like a nicer device, and then the fippit is kind of like a I track your steps, you know, that's it.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like the Frumpy like the Frumpy friend? Are sorry the loser of the watches? All right, Megan? Yes? How many do you have another question for me?
Speaker 3: Do I have another question?
Speaker 4: And its actually relates to BlackBerry, which is kind of oh you okay.
Speaker 1: I took a sip of water. Hold on, sorry what BlackBerry?
Speaker 4: Well, it's a BlackBerry user, which is okay, shocking in and of itself, And this is from Terry. It's about switching from the BlackBerry to a new phone. Hi, Rich, I have a challenging question after.
Speaker 3: You stop laughing, which obviously you already did.
Speaker 1: I've already spit my water out.
Speaker 4: Yes, I still have a BlackBerry and I love it. However, I know it's getting to the end of its life. I currently have the Z ten and have had three or four Blackberries previously. I do not want an iPhone. Do you have a suggestion for my next phone. I do a lot of biz on my phone, not too concerned about video or live stream. I currently do not use Facebook on my phone either. Thank you in advance for your time effort and all the reports on keytwol Avid Watcher seven days and a fan.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's like one two punch Terry. Thank you so interesting.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you've held on what model BlackBerry, the Z ten.
Speaker 4: I don't even the one that Kim Kardashian has bought like a hundred of Oh my gosh, I thought because she loves it so much she still uses it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, the Z ten.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this was kind of okay, So this is actually a newer BlackBerry.
Speaker 3: Like this was new as of what year?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Let me see.
Speaker 2: I'm looking on Amazon and I'm trying to see like when they came out with this first available. Oh my gosh, the comments are from twenty fourteen. This is a long time ago. Here's a here's a picture of it. But anyway, I would say, Terry, the phone that I recommend for you, since you don't want an iPhone, I would look at a company called one Plus, and I think that that's going to be your best bet because you're going to get a great phone running Android, amazing bang for your buck. They're coming out with their new one plus seve like in two weeks.
Speaker 1: Wait can I say that? Yeah, yeah, that's public. I never you know, is that what Louise has?
Speaker 4: Uh? No, okay, there's there's some phone he has that he really likes.
Speaker 3: No, I thought it was the one it's not.
Speaker 2: I love the one Plus and I actually want to get him a one plus because one plus is amazing. Their camera is on. Here's the thing if you're a social media person like myself, like trying to edit video and all that stuff, Like the camera leaves a little bit to be desired regular person, average pictures amazing, like and the value you get like the best software. It's really really fantastic. So one plus, Terry, I'd recommend the one plus six over the SIXTE because the six T has no finger has no fingerprint sensor on the back. It's in the screen, and I don't like it as much as the one in the back. But check out the one plus seven when it comes out mid May. Great value, or you can get the one plus six at a cheaper price. Clearly, if you're rocking a phone that's four years old at least, you're kind of like one plus six will be a great.
Speaker 1: Upgrade for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the question, Terry rip Black. How did that come in? How are these questions coming in? To ask you? That was email? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can send an email hello at richontech dot TV. You can do Instagram at rich on tech or Facebook and what's the other on Twitter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can also tweet producer Megan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tweet producer Megan with your questions. That'll be that'll be even better. That'll that's like the shortcut to the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Netflix is making the audio sound quality. Let's try that again.
Speaker 2: Netflix is making the audio sound better on their programming. TVs and movies are TVs, TV shows and movies are gonna sound even better. They're announcing this feature, and I just absolutely love the name. I hope they paid a lot of money to research this name because it is called when we have our drum.
Speaker 1: Roll, please, high quality audio.
Speaker 3: I mean really, wow, I deserves a raise.
Speaker 1: They could have come up with something fun like glitter audio. Yeah. I don't know anything shiny audio audio shine.
Speaker 2: I don't know whatever good for the ears, audio polish. So I won't spend a whole lot of time on this because it's just I mean, I love sound, so I'll tell you this. I've got I set up in my living room the side speakers, like the surround sound. Basically it's not true like yeah, it's so no, so it's not like crazy soround sound. But I have the soundbar and then the two speakers, And I kid you not every time I hear something out of because not every show takes advantage of all the speakers. Some shows do, some shows don't. I've gotten so spoiled now that when I see a show takes advantage of the speakers, I am so much more into it because I love hearing this stuff like whoosh by behind me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I kid you not.
Speaker 2: My kid was watching a cartoon the other night that must have been optimized from Netflix. Maybe they have this and a little ghost like popped out of the corner. Like I was on my phone and I just like heard it out of my left side ear.
Speaker 1: I jumped because I was like, what is that? And it happens to me all the time.
Speaker 2: I'll hear like something like in the show that I think is like someone walking the other side of the house or something. It's pretty wild. So my point is good sound is kind of fun to have.
Speaker 3: It's like three D for the ear.
Speaker 1: That's exactly, That's exactly kind of right.
Speaker 2: So they are there, so if you're a nerd, basically what they're doing is they have five point one audio and they have Dolby at most, which is really like the best, and they're upping the bit rate that you get, so they're basically sending through higher quality audio and I love it. And the feature also is adaptive, so the better setup you have, the better it is. And you know, it kind of downgrades like if you don't have like all the different stuff, they just kind of like downgrade the signal because don't forget to send through every little tiny bit of whatever you're watching or listening to on Netflix cost them money because it's going through the internet. Yeah, so if they can you know, if they notice that your connection's not as good, they're not going to send through as much data.
Speaker 1: It's brilliant. Oh Wowyeah, it's pretty pretty smart. Smart people around on Netflix. Yeah, neighbors, neighbors invite us over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we share a lot with them. That's why I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like Megan's like, it's not her neighbor, Like mister Netflix doesn't live int door to her.
Speaker 1: No, probably do though. Oh yeah, I mean, let's hear the question.
Speaker 3: That's for another another time.
Speaker 4: Anyways, next question comes from Instagram from Tequila Terre.
Speaker 3: Oh she sounds fun, I have, she sounds like a good time. I have an app question for you.
Speaker 4: What would you recommend for an iOS as an app for dictation for minute meetings?
Speaker 3: Now that we are in a digital era?
Speaker 2: Now, I like, now that's digital, Now we're digital. This is This is an interesting one because I'm always looking for ways of like doing this as well, because I transcribe a lot of stuff for my job, so I'm always looking for like easy ways to like transcribe interviews. So I'll tell you a couple of things that work pretty well. Number one, you can just open up Google Docs, and inside Google Docs, let me just open up a new one right here, so I can tell you exactly how to do this. It's amazing, by the way, you can do this on your phone or you're on your phone. You can only do it on Android because iOS all the voice stuff is basically like Siri, and she's not very good at transcription.
Speaker 1: But Google is amazing. So okay, open up.
Speaker 2: A Google Doc and go to tools and go to voice typing. And so I just turned that on and I'm pressing it and literally as you speak, it will show up on your screen in exactly the way you're talking, complete with punctuation and capital letters. And even if you say something like a proper term, like I went to visit San Francisco, it will show up perfectly. Now, Megan, I'm going to show you what I just did, because here it is on my computer screen. You take a look at what I just did, like in lifetime. That's pretty phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Huh oh wow, wait, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's number one.
Speaker 3: I wish I had that.
Speaker 4: When I was like in college still and I could have recorded classes.
Speaker 2: Yes, just put it up for your class, you know, your professor. Now, is it always going to be perfect? No, Now some people might not want that because it doesn't give you the audio as well, but you can record it separately, you know.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so I have a better solution. That's just one.
Speaker 2: I'm giving you guys a lot of options, and that's totally Yeah. Well, they have a feature called live Transcribe which you can download your phone, which is also another way, but that's kind of separate from what I'm talking about here, but that's really cool. We saw that demo and it's amazing. Google has very good voice to text or hold on speech to text recognition, yeah, voice text whatever. So the second one is called otter dot ai, and this is amazing because it's basically the same thing, but it's meant for meetings, like we should actually do this for the podcast, because you just set your phone up and you have it running and it just literally transcribes everything you say, and it time codes it and even splits up the speakers so you can see like when I say something, when you say something, and it's otter dot ai. I thought it was going to be a paid thing, which it is. But you do get six hundred minutes free months. And what's cool about this is it keeps both the audio and the text. So I think that's gonna be good. Now, if you want to pay, it's eight dollars and thirty three cents a month. If you do it annually. Hold on monthly is ten dollars a month.
Speaker 3: So that's for unlimited.
Speaker 1: That's for uh, let's say, is it unlimited six thousand minutes a month? That's a lot that. I mean, if you have more meetings than that tequila, that's not.
Speaker 4: Gonna that you need to take Kila Terrey.
Speaker 2: Good question. Again, it's otter dot ai. If you need it, try it out. I mean, Megan, you should download it. It's really cool. I have it on my phone and it's just it's pretty phenomenal. How how slick it is. So I thought this was interesting because if you have an Android phone and you're on your computer all day like I am. If you're on if you're on iOS, everything matches up right. If you have a Mac computer with an iPhone, everything sort of sinks.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You get your notifications on your screen, well I guess not your regular notifications, but you get your I message, which is pretty.
Speaker 1: Much all you need.
Speaker 2: If your Windows it's a little bit tougher, you don't necessarily get all the that same integration. But Windows ten is now doing Android notifications via the MyPhone app. So TechSpot dot com reports on this, and it's only for beta users right now, but this means it'll be coming out to more people. If you have a one plus six six 'ty Samsung Galaxy S ten No.
Speaker 1: Eight, No.
Speaker 2: Nine, you download the Windows my Phone app and not only can you mirror your screen, but you can also get all your notifications on your screen in real time, which is very handy. Yeah, So anyway, check that out. Windows ten showing your Android notifications via the my Phone app. And I think Windows and Microsoft in general is doing a really good job of integrating into smartphones because they don't have their own mobile platform anymore, so they're really trying to get people to like see the synergy between like iOS and Windows and Windows and androids. So one more way, all right, how many more times?
Speaker 1: I think we have time for one more question?
Speaker 3: Maybe? So this is an interesting question from Jeanette. She asks, this was an email?
Speaker 4: Is there an app that can tell me what the building is?
Speaker 3: What kind of bird I saw? Et cetera. Let me ask that again.
Speaker 4: Is there an app that can tell me what the building is, what kind of bird I saw?
Speaker 3: Et cetera.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, and who is this?
Speaker 3: This is from Jeanette.
Speaker 1: Jeannettes And how did this one come in email? I thought this would be like a message in the bottle. I got it, Jeanette. Okay, so interesting? So there wasn't there are some What she's talking.
Speaker 2: About I think is like basically these apps that can kind of recognize objects, and I think there's a whole bunch of specialized ones for like plants and stuff. But look at we want the holy Grail of apps, right, which is you aim it at anything in the world and it tells you what it is, right, Yeah, it tells you what the text is, it translates that text, It tells you what kind of bird that is, what kind of insect? How many times have you seen a bug around the house? You're like, is that a black widow?
Speaker 1: Right? Yes? Would to me so often?
Speaker 3: And I wish I could like tell and I can't tell no one.
Speaker 1: I don't even know spider and nobody. You got to get the spider.
Speaker 2: Spiders know Well, it's funny that it's this always cracks me up. Like we live in a world where like literally we're in a world right, like there's there's trees, there's animals, but like anytime they invade our space, like.
Speaker 3: Even a tiny spider, it's not cool.
Speaker 1: It's like game on.
Speaker 2: Like, if there's a fly in my house, I will literally stop anything I'm doing to get that fly.
Speaker 4: Well, how about when you're going to sleep and you see a spider crawl.
Speaker 3: Out of your covers and yeah, that happened to me once.
Speaker 2: How about this, do you ever pick up a piece of clothing from the floor.
Speaker 1: And a spider falls out?
Speaker 3: I've had that happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the scariest one because can you imagine putting that on?
Speaker 1: You put on a shirt spider inside.
Speaker 4: My dad had a spider hair. Okay, there we have a spider problem. Clear he had a spider hanging off of his shirt.
Speaker 1: Clearly it's the iraqophobia.
Speaker 2: At the mcmonagle, the producer Megan House, Okay, so I think the answer to this is there is not one easy answer. I think there's a bunch of specialized apps, but the thing that might work the best Janette for a lot of these things is Google Lens, so I would get Google Lens.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of different ways you can get it.
Speaker 2: You can get it inside the Google Search app on iOS, you can get it inside Google Photos. You can get it inside just look up Google Lens. And there's a lot of different ways to get Google Lens. There's not like a specific app. I don't think.
Speaker 1: Let me say, yeah, okay, oh, could have just looked at the website. So it's on everything.
Speaker 2: I just said, It's on the Google Assistant, in iOS, it's on Google Lens. Oh, they do have an app in the app store. I did in the Google Play. I did not realize that. I gotta get that. And then they also have it built into Google Photos. And some phones have it built in, like I know OnePlus has it built into the camera, and SODA's what's the other one one plus? Did I say that or did I say one plus one plus an LG They both have it built into their cameras.
Speaker 3: Apple should be next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we good luck with that one.
Speaker 3: They don't care.
Speaker 1: Just a two quick notes.
Speaker 2: If you watch TV, Apple TV Channels is adding HBO, So Apple TV Channels is kind of like their idea where you can get all your premium services in one place that you subscribe to through Apple TV the app. It's very complicated, all their naming conventions, but you can now subscribe to HBO for fifteen a month. Nothing new about that. A lot of people log in using their cable or they have HBO go. The cool thing about this and what sets it apart, is two things. Number One, you can get a one week free trial of HBO. So if you want to watch like binge on Game of Thrones for a week, take some vacation, get a free week through the Apple TV app. The second thing is they have support for offline downloading, so that's something you haven't had before with HBO.
Speaker 1: Basically you had to stream it.
Speaker 2: So I kind of find that really interesting because I would love to onload a bunch of shows for like the plane that you can.
Speaker 3: Normally wash if you're going to fly somewhere. That would be really helpful.
Speaker 1: China like China. We'll talk about that later.
Speaker 2: And finally, YouTube is streaming thirteen games, thirteen MLB games for the twenty nineteen season. And I love this, I love this, I love this, I love this. I love this here's the thing about all these like streaming things. They're pain in the ass, right, Like I mean Amazon has like well Amazon has like a couple of football games, but oh sorry, it is a pain in the.
Speaker 3: Ars in the behind.
Speaker 2: So it's just like it's every one of these things is just like so overly complicated because of ads, right, they want to be able to serve up ads, and they don't want to make it like available on like YouTube. Like to me, YouTube is everywhere. YouTube is on every single device in the world. So now you can watch this MLB game so easily by just calling up YouTube. Now it's only going to be in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico, so but again it'll be on the YouTube dot com slash users slash MLB. So I just love the idea of this in that player, you know, Like the YouTube player is the best. It's the perfect like web streaming player. So if you can have all your content, Like if I could have all my stuff through there, that'd be amazing.
Speaker 1: It's just so simple, so simple it works.
Speaker 2: They're clearly the leader in video, so they know what they're doing. Netflix is also pretty good, but I think YouTube is a little bit better to me, like, they don't play as many games with you like Netflix. Netflix is always just trying to get you to watch something that you've never heard of. Yeah, and it auto plays while you're browsing, like why.
Speaker 3: They just have a lot of weird content, a lot of.
Speaker 2: Weird content and you don't know of it, You've never heard of it before. And there's no like ratings or anything there, so you can't tell like is this popular?
Speaker 1: Is this not popular?
Speaker 3: Like oh, I just.
Speaker 4: Google it and like look right, like the Rotten Tomatoes, and then it's most likely not that great, so then I don't watch.
Speaker 2: It's usually like thirty percent right, Yeah, yeah, but that's what I'm saying. They make it so hard for you to do that. On YouTube, you can see how many people watched it. You see how many comments, you can see how many subscribers like everything totally, so that they're hiding. Netflix does this on purpose. They hide stuff from me because they're trying to trick you into watching their garbage.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I'm not saying that they have all garbage.
Speaker 3: But didn't we say that we liked Netflix.
Speaker 2: We love Netflix ago, we love Netflix, love them so great? Can you believe it? Another show in the can Oh, just like that, I was fast.
Speaker 3: I went by so fast.
Speaker 2: I know, very fast, just like a like a yeah, like just really well done show, Megan, thank you.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a compliment right there.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to read the comment. We have time for a compliment.
Speaker 3: We always have time for go ahead.
Speaker 1: We'll end it.
Speaker 3: So this this next.
Speaker 4: Compliment, so nice, comes from Berry Candle cool, last name Rich. Love your new format for the podcast pros no more phone calls cons you are not on enough. Wish you did podcast more often.
Speaker 3: Love your producer Megan.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's why you wanted to read it. Okay, I see, No, we both something that was like my first like yeah, like call out like.
Speaker 3: Nice, you know, compliment found you on Tech Guys show.
Speaker 1: Great find Oh he found me.
Speaker 2: A lot of people find me through Leo, which is funny because I fill in for Leo Laporte and then people find me because you're like, oh this guy podcast too.
Speaker 1: So thank you. That was Barry.
Speaker 2: That was such a nice email. I love that just out of the blue, and I love that he mentioned you. It's interesting he doesn't like the phone calls, so I don't Maybe we won't bring him back.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I kind of like this format, by the way, like the email questions because I get so many questions via email. Let's just you know, anyway, Hello rich on tech dot tv. If you have a question for me, Thanks so much for listening to the show. Please subscribe if you haven't done so already. All you have to do is search rich on tech in your favorite podcast app. If you have an iPhone, that could be Apple Podcasts. If you have Android, it could be Google Podcasts. There's also pocket Cast, which is great and works on all platforms, and Overcast is a fantastic iOS podcasting app as well. You'll find us in any of those or anywhere you listen to podcasts. The name of my book is one hundred and one Handy Tech Tips for the iPhone. It's available right now on Amazon and paperback. And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter at richontech dot tv. Producer Megan, how do you feel today's show was?
Speaker 3: I thought that was great?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, and your new Twitter handles? Share it.
Speaker 3: It's at producer Megan.
Speaker 2: With an h M E G H A E so easy to find. Producer Megan now let her know what you think of the show. Thanks so much for listening. I'm Rich Dmiro. Have a great day.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you real soon.