Speaker 1: Welcome by the Ratest Presspass Podcast. It is Wednesday, August seventh. Today after practice, we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harball.
Speaker 2: Appreciate everybody being here.
Speaker 3: A good day, busy day, last fast practice before the game Friday against the Eagles. So we'll start pointing towards that. Now we haven't really done any preparation for the Eagles, but we'll go out and run our plays and see how the guys do.
Speaker 2: What questions?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Play player who's playing non play as far as Mark he hasn't played the past tweet exact, couldn't be in compensated.
Speaker 5: As to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, the same.
Speaker 6: How about do you haven't that now good?
Speaker 3: With the other quarterbacks?
Speaker 6: You expect Josh to play it off?
Speaker 2: Yes, we're here, go through every guy, are we?
Speaker 6: That's good?
Speaker 2: Gotta figure it out John, to.
Speaker 5: Get engaged on the offensive line and that competition any.
Speaker 7: Pre season action at some point, do you want to ever in the starting offense when the guys looking for it.
Speaker 6: At all these pieces?
Speaker 3: And uh, well, we'll see most of those guys out there. I don't know about this game if everyone of those guys will be out there I'm not sure about the offensive line completely yet. Uh, but you know, they probably won't be out there with Lamar, but as far as the rest of most of the rest of the guys, they will be.
Speaker 2: We're pretty young. It's not like we'll have a ton of guys not playing.
Speaker 3: Over the course of the preseason. So we'll see all the guys we need to and it'll be quite a few guys.
Speaker 7: And you've been a laughing penalty full starts feel has produced the intended results of that over the last two weeks.
Speaker 3: I do, uh, I'm not enforcing it, just to be clear, the uh, the offense is enforcing it. They decided to do that, which I was I thought was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was not disappointed to see that. But I think it's it's a good impact.
Speaker 2: It's been. It's been. Uh. Anything that makes you intentional.
Speaker 3: About what you're trying to do, I think get you focused on it. We always like will mark off the penalty always that's another way to get the attention of the guys and just realize that it's importance to be perfect as we can be, which you can be pretty darn perfect pre snap, so we're always chasing that kind of perfection. Litle more existing aspects the kickoff and terms and how those.
Speaker 7: Prison training and damn the questions the news in.
Speaker 5: The what is that question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the way it's being format about and just reacting to help those teams handling.
Speaker 3: And the additions to the touchdown, how they what understanding the question?
Speaker 2: What's the question?
Speaker 8: Who's trying about?
Speaker 2: What is the question? The question was the.
Speaker 3: Aspect of the post and the officials and how they're handling the kickoff requires and experiencing in a real.
Speaker 2: Game situation for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're looking forward to it, We really are. How much do I answer that question the aspect of it. Yeah, we are looking forward to it. It'll be a challenge. We'll see what it looks like.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 3: I hope we go down and smash their kickoff return, and I hope we break every every.
Speaker 2: Return for a touchdown. That's what I'm looking for. Is it a.
Speaker 5: Sort of situation where you guys might try different.
Speaker 4: Things related to it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it comes into play at some point. Right now, we just want to get out there and line up and understand the rules and try to execute the schemes as best we can and just see how we look. You know, we're we don't know exactly how it's gonna play out, timing wise and all that. So it very is very very is very much the very first time doing it. So that's kind of maybe that's the answer to the question.
Speaker 2: So we want to we want to kick it in the landing zone start with that.
Speaker 6: John, do you have.
Speaker 8: Any update on our foe other than what you knew yesterday the testing, the back or anything we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gonna have a scope surgery and uh a clean up type of a situation and uh, it'll it'll keep him out for a little while, but not long term by any stretch. So we can revisit it when Whens were close to the start of the season and talk about John.
Speaker 8: We haven't I haven't seen Ben Cleveland that right guard as much during County. Does that say anything about where he might? And the players 're just sort of wanting to see.
Speaker 2: Different guys in different goals. I mean, I think it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 3: But Ben has done such a good job at center, and now we have Tyler out for a while, I think you're going to see him at center quite a bit here for the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: We also heard from some of the guys competing for spots along that offensive line, including second round rookie Roger Rosegard, who's competing for a starting job at right tackle.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: No, nine times met him, oh man, Absolutely, absolutely, especially for Big Ben, so no doubt.
Speaker 5: Roger, You're getting your first taste of NFL preseason action on Friday. How does it feel to just finally be able to be out there on an NFL field?
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, it feels great.
Speaker 9: It feels amazing, you know, kind of just go and through rookie mini camp OTAs and just the spring practices to now you finally get to training camp. I mean, it's super exciting. It's uh a feeling that I've dreamt since i was a little kid. And now I'm gonna play my first NFL game here coming up. So all good angst. You know, I'm super excited and I can't wait.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a different physicality.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's definitely level changes to everything, especially in physicality, strength, speed, you name it.
Speaker 6: Uh, when he gets to this kind of level.
Speaker 9: But you know, my my transition from college to the pros is uh, super smooth. In my opinion, so you know, I'm picking picking it up every single day, and you know, I'm my whole main focus is just getting better and better. Yeah, you know, first, second or third team, It didn't matter for me. You know, my whole goal is just uh, you know, be the best offensive lineman I can to help protect the quarterback and open up running lanes and just be the best offense we can. And that's my whole job as an offensive lineman. It didn't really matter what team I was running with because I knew if I played well and did what I wanted to do, you know, we'd be in a good spot as an offense.
Speaker 7: Part of your game, do you think you made the most progress and can take buck up camp.
Speaker 9: To Yeah, I definitely. I definitely would just say probably my hands. You know, I think, especially when you get to this level, hands or everything, whether that's hand placement on a power move, a speed move, hands in.
Speaker 6: The run game. You know, you name it a to Z.
Speaker 9: You know, I'm just trying to get better and better, and I feel like I've really made a big stride in that department.
Speaker 8: On the flip side, where do you want to still see the most growth?
Speaker 2: You know, what part of your game. Do you still feel the Union games for the.
Speaker 9: Most Yeah, I mean, you name it. I I got to improve on a lot of things as an offensive lineman. You know, if I was the perfect offensive lineman, you know, I don't know who i'd be, but I'm not that yet.
Speaker 6: So I got a to z to work on.
Speaker 9: So you know, whether that's stuff not even on the field, uh, working on in the meeting rooms, that's I really couldn't give you one answer there.
Speaker 8: I mean, you see, the preseason game is me and very different things to different players, but it doesn't feel.
Speaker 2: Like a big deal for you.
Speaker 8: I mean not just your first stand, but I mean, you know, a chance to prove yourself, get real, you know, game reps, all that stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 9: You know, anytime there's a game, you know there's got to be that much level intensity and focus going into it.
Speaker 6: So you know, this Friday, I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 5: I feel like these preced games or a chance for you to potentially man.
Speaker 1: Start your job.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, absolutely.
Speaker 9: I you know, I come into practice games, meeting rooms with that mentality just compete and be the best off in slimming I can. So you know that's my whole main goal is just a day and day stack days and make sure I'm doing my absolute best and good results are come out from there.
Speaker 1: A lot of rookies talk about kind of the off the field stuff, you know, it's diet, nutrition and training. How much of that is gonna focus really, and.
Speaker 6: It's been huge.
Speaker 9: You know, we have a great Sarah and heard Sarah and Rachel do a great job with their staff and the whole cafeteria. It's it's always a great time going in there for meals, and we're super dialed from the new nutrition, from the hydration to the strength, all the aspects outside of the on practice and on game stuff. I've been super dialed in with everybody. So yeah, it's been, it's been. It's been awesome.
Speaker 5: Roger Ravels prioritized positional versatility for their offensive lineman. We saw you hop in for Ronnie Stanley on one snap that you've been mostly playing on the right side. Is that something you've been working on working on both sides? Are you really strict the right side?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean ever since rookie Minnie Camp, I've been wrapping both sides of the line, and coach Jody and I think coach Harve's really want to make an emphasis, especially coach Mounkin on being versatile, not just myself too. It could be Ronnie, pat Tyler, you name it. So it's anyone could play any position, especially in this league.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, you've.
Speaker 7: Noticed strength wise going to college to the NFL, both for yourself and obviously some of the guys you're going to.
Speaker 3: Get to see it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'd say the transition between the get off off the line of the snap and you know that that instant moment where you know a lot of strength is going to be applied, whether it's a power move, uh, speed to power, power to speed, uh, you name it. And there's there's a lot of transition to the college at the NFL level, especially, but especially off the off the snap. I think that's where I saw the biggest jump when it came to that.
Speaker 8: I think you've seen guys taking a lap jumping off side of How much of an incentive is that to stay off of at And do you think that's going to carry over your game as.
Speaker 9: Far as opening guys, Oh, absolutely, as soon as as soon as the play is called, you know that's definitely you have the whole play that you gotta know what you're getting down, you gotta know your assignment, and then most importantly got into the snapcount at the end of the play call. So if the running and lap wasn't big enough incentive to not jump off sides, man, I don't know what. So, yeah, that's definitely a big part of the game, especially as an offensive lineman.
Speaker 6: You're get off.
Speaker 7: Did you have any pretty game hoardles or anything.
Speaker 6: Nah.
Speaker 9: You know, I think I'm just gonna do the same thing I did in college. Really, you know, I think some of the logistics will be a little bit different now, but I think everything for myself pregames just gonna be to stay the same, and you know, I'm looking forward to Friday.
Speaker 1: We also heard from bank Cleveland. He's competing for snaps at right guard, but lately he's been taking snaps at center. Tyler Linnenbaum is currently sidelined with an injury, but bank Cleveland has stepped into that starting center job in practice this week and he's performed well. He talked about the opportunity in front of him in these preseason games and while Linderbaum is sidelined.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, I'll see myself really fitting in wherever, wherever I'm needed. I mean, you know, this this week, I've been playing a little bit more center than other places, and you know, I'm I'm here to you know, earn a spot on this team and wherever they need me at to do that. That's that's what I'm gonna do. How would you describe it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, I'm I feel perfectly fine at center. You know, they started working me in there last year, so I mean it's it's not like they just threw me into the fire this week. So I mean, I'm I'm definitely extremely comfortable there.
Speaker 2: People will talk about it nacer brick season for a guy. Do you do you see it that way?
Speaker 6: I mean, your your your four year I.
Speaker 2: Mean, what are the stakes to your mind of the next month?
Speaker 4: I mean I say that the stakes are definitely higher, I feel like, but you know, at the end of the day, it's the same thing I've been doing for the last three years, just showing up to work every day and giving it everything I got to, you know, be the best player that I can for this team and for myself, and you know, let the chips.
Speaker 6: Layn wherever they then.
Speaker 5: The Ravens have often turned to you and they've needed a spot starter or someone to come in to build a game at card. Have those experiences in the past given you more confidence to go out there trying to way a starting job this year.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean people don't realize how hard it is to come off the sideline cold, you know, in the middle of the third quarter and step up and expect to take over and you know, perform at the highest level possible. So, you know, being in that position before and plenty of times in the past, you know, it just gives me a lot of confidence knowing that no matter what, I can step up and do whatever they need me to.
Speaker 1: Do in my life.
Speaker 6: Uh No, not really.
Speaker 4: Whenever I first started last year, uh snapping a little bit, you know, I always had to make sure the quarterbacks knew they had a left handed center, just because the path of the ball is just a little bit different than what they're used to. But you know, I've worked with everybody enough to where they they they all got it down.
Speaker 1: Now, how exeter are you for that your preseason game, the.
Speaker 4: Opportunity you have to show this, oh man, I mean the preseason is kind of our first look at you know, who we who we're gonna be as a team and who we're going to be as an offense, and you know, you're gonna we're gonna have a lot of different guys playing a lot of different spots, and uh, you know, it's it's gonna be fun to go out there and play different spots for myself and you know, see how we all kind of fit into one another and you know, make this offense work.
Speaker 5: Then center's obviously position that requires a lot of communication. Is that aspect of your game? You tried to step up since working on center more? Is it more difficult with a lot of pieces moving around you?
Speaker 4: It was definitely more difficult. I ain't no doubt about that. But uh no, I mean I feel like I'm I'm extremely football smart and uh you know, center, the biggest thing at center is just being able to, you know, keep a cool head and do things on the fly. And you know, first day was a little bit of a struggle with it, but now you know, three days into it, you know everything's flowing smooth, and you know feel good about it.
Speaker 7: You know Tyler Linderbahn and what's the communication with him as a fourteen center?
Speaker 4: You know, it's it's been nice, you know, playing beside him and all that in the past, So I really, you know, we we keep the same terminology and everything like that. It's just a matter of you know, the perspective in which you see the defensive fronts and things like that is different. And you know, every day after practice, I mean, he's in there watching film. We're going over you know, how I can step better or do this better and whatnot. So I mean it's it's been nice oving somebody who's obviously as good as he is at that position to you know, help me better myself.
Speaker 6: You broke kids, it's great. It's an opportunity to show them what else I can do.
Speaker 9: Or is there an element of look, I'm not getting rights that right guard, whether it's the problem.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I don't think of it as you know, taking reps away from other spots. I mean, you know, they say the more you can do, you know, the better off you're going to be. And you know, if I have to be in that role of a backup center at some point this year, then you know, I want to be fully prayer to go in and do that. So I love, you know that the fact that I'm getting to play center and going to go out there and get some wild game reps, you know, in that spot.
Speaker 8: This summer has felt different for the offensive line overall, in the sense that you have researching jobs up the grabs, you have guys may betraying slightly less familiar roles.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it been a different.
Speaker 6: Year, you know.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say a different year by any means, because I mean every year you've got guys coming in, fighting for spots, playing different spots, rolling in different locations and things like that. So I don't think it's any different. You know, you just got to make the most out of the reps that you get where you get them, you know, to try and secure that role as a starter from week one. You know, I think the biggest thing for me is when I'm you know, not in not in with the with the group, kind of standing around the back, I want to hear the play call. I want to the defensive fronts, you know, I want to you know, make my calls as if I were in there right now. And I think that's, you know, been the biggest difference for me. You know, even last year when I started playing a little bit of center here and there, was just being more attentive to the defense and the way things are working, you know, from a defensive stamp to the backfield and everything like that, just you know, because I mean, it is a big difference and it takes a lot of getting used to and I think me taking those steps has really helped me adjust to it quickly.
Speaker 7: You've played center, college, high school, experience at it.
Speaker 4: I played a little bit in high school, didn't play in college, but you know, like I said earlier, i mean they started rolling in at center last year, so I've I've taken plenty of snaps, you know, and I'm I'm good to go.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Presspass podcast, make sure you hit that subscribe button. Also head over to the Lounge feed as well. Subscribe to that podcast. The first preseason game is coming up Friday night at M and T Bank Stadium against the Eagles. Get your tickets today a seat geek or at Baltimore Ravens dot com. Thank you so much for listening. We'll be back with you later this week.