Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Mike Armstrong March twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lorie kill martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Up Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com Comedy Off Broadway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Monday, March the thirty first, My last day in Kentucky for the next few weeks. And I'm here with the beautiful duo of Ryan Franklin, ed Ro Royan Livin and Drew Franklin. They're Ryan Flake, Franklin, Drew the Dude is in Louisville, Marios here we are here at the KS Bar and Grill. If you're in town, come say hello. Uh If I'm not two eight oh twenty two eighty seven is Clark's Puppet Shop fuone nine avs and Auto Glass text Machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. In this edition sponsored by the TJ. Smith Office. If you called TJ. Hill, make him bay. How you doing, sir? We are after a long march run, well at least of us traveling, maybe decently long run for the team. We are back here in Lexington and Ryan there is a ton of stuff to get to and uh, in order to catch my first flight, I have to leave at eleven thirty, So I'm gonna make sure we get to all as much of it as we can.
Speaker 4: Off the top, I guess we'll start.
Speaker 3: We have not been on the morning show since the lost Tennessee, which was late Friday night. Now that it's you've had forty eight hours, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 5: Just you saying that was Friday night? It seems like it was two weeks ago, and that pregame show we did it ten Roofs, seemed like that was two weeks ago. It didn't play well, you know, a great season kind of anything with a thud. The game didn't go nearly of all the scenarios I thought might happen. Getting whooped like that was not one of the scenarios I thought might happen.
Speaker 4: Really, yeah, I thought that was a scenario they could happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn' think they.
Speaker 3: I mean we just the same thing that happened to us, happened to them the next day, and happened to Michigan State the next day, and happened to Alabama, uh in the in the Elite eight. Just these you know, just teams. Kind of all those games were the same. A team jumped on them early and then they just could never catch up. And that's kind of how it was for us too.
Speaker 4: Drew.
Speaker 6: Yeah, to be Tennessee, you needed to make threes in the In the two regular season wins, they hit twelve threes, and both of those shooting fifty percent, So six threes in a game when what four of them were by Butler and then Colin Chandler throws in a prayer before halftime. That just wasn't nearly enough from outside to hang with Tennessee.
Speaker 3: If you tell me Braa O Way and Carr are gonna combine for one to three, we're in trouble. I mean, you know, we're in trouble at that point. I mean that that that's probably the game. And you know, you most of it was Tennessee. Tennessee's defense was great, and we just honestly, as I watched these games this weekend, all of these teams had the same thing. Happened to him Us, Michigan State, Uh, yesterday, Tennessee Alabama.
Speaker 4: You just just at the beginning.
Speaker 3: You fell behind, and it just felt like you were always climbing the hill that you couldn't get over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tennessee got that nine, ten, eleven point lead, and we never could you know, chip into it, could never cut it down. It'd go up to fifteen, then come back to nine to ten. It just always just stayed that way for most of the game. And when you you guys said, like we hit twelve three pointers in the first two games, we only shot fifteen three pointers. Tennessee took the three pointer, always.
Speaker 3: Had a great game plan. They basically said, you're getting no threes.
Speaker 4: Dude. Did the same thing to Alabama.
Speaker 3: They're like, you're not getting threes, so now try to beat us some other way. And and we we just didn't have the you know, we just didn't didn't have the game plan or the success in executed it. Now, with that said, a lot of our conversation after the game was about the season as a whole and being positive about it. I've become no less positive about the season than ever there's you know, and it seems like looking online, it's tough when you Drew look right after the game because people get all angry, especially when it's on Friday night.
Speaker 4: They might be drunk and they're like, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: But when everybody takes a step back and starts forming coherent sentences.
Speaker 5: Feels like the fan base is still.
Speaker 4: In a very good place. Do you agree with that? I think so too.
Speaker 6: And I was also I expected to hurt a little more than I did. I think part of it was because it looked like it was over pretty quickly in that game. It did come down to like a crazy buzzer beater. We should have done this, should have done that. You just got beat. Also, just that loss, even though it was to Tennessee, the ones we've suffered the last few years were much worse. So getting over that first weekend hump not you know, lower in the bar for Kentucky basketball, But that one did sit a little easier than I thought it would. Although I hung around Saturday, the worst part was just that sea of orange and all of them were talking trash. I ended up leaving town Saturday night when we wanted to stay, because I just couldn't be there anymore. Every restaurant, just walking down the street. I was still wearing Kentucky gears, so they were very vocal on Saturday.
Speaker 3: They had a lot of people didn't help them on Sunday because they went and did the same thing. And uh, we'll talk about those games. I still want to make fun of Tennessee even though they beat us.
Speaker 4: But but but but we but we lose. I think we all talked on the postgame show. We were all on it.
Speaker 3: It was a good post game show, but we all talked, gave the grade an A. These guys I think are gonna be remembered very positively, don't you All.
Speaker 5: These guys will be beloved. And we fell in love with this group of guys, you know, overcoming the injuries. You know, they played their butts off, you know, they gave everything they had. But this one year they were gonna be here. They wore that Kentucky uniform proud, and I think we saw that and felt that.
Speaker 3: Which player are gonna not not which player will be the most, uh, like the biggest one to miss from an impact, just on a personal level, which one are you gonna miss the most?
Speaker 4: Like, who's gonna be the one you go? I missed that? I miss a lot of them.
Speaker 6: I mean, Amario was my favorite, going back to May when I had my first interview with him, before i'd even seen him touch a basketball. I just liked to a Mario from the beginning that he panned out playing really well. But I'll be honest that might have flipped a little towards Butler, just how he played in that last game, the images of him and Pope with their arms around each other, what he said at the press conference. I'll miss a lot of them, but his leadership, even though you know he wasn't available a lot or.
Speaker 4: Some of the year.
Speaker 6: I mean, Butler was pretty special looking back, even in that last game.
Speaker 4: Shanon, what about you? Which one are you gonna miss?
Speaker 2: Kelby Brea, man, I mean, I've never seen a guy who could when he's hot, is a better shooter than Kelby Brea, And I think that he's gonna be somebody they're gonna miss next year.
Speaker 3: I think if they had stayed healthy all year, he would have had a shot to break the percentage three point record. He had to take ones that are not his normal thing once Robinson got hurt.
Speaker 4: What about you.
Speaker 5: I always leaned towards point guards anyway, So it's probably Butler, just the fact the dude fought through the injuries. I mean, he was a wounded warrior most of the second half of the season. Cutted it out. Were that big old race, had the monster game against Louisville when he came back, had the monster game against Tennessee, two of our biggest rivals. So I'll definitely be Lamont Butler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I would say I have an affinity for guys who have a lot of pressure on him and then and then, so I probably will miss Jackson Robinson just because I do think he would is the difference in us making a run or not. Because he was the best thing we had close to a star really on the team, and times it showed up, times it didn't. But I did like him quite a bit. But I will tell you after.
Speaker 4: The postgame press conferences, I feel that way about all these guys.
Speaker 3: I mean, Kobe Bray is saying you're gonna have to pry this jersey off of me, Andrew Carr saying he doesn't want to take it off. You know, that's that's listen, man, if you're gonna write a script of what UK fans want to hear, Ryan, you would write that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, could you talked a lot about it. It's a different kind of one and done. It's not the one and done we used to. These guys are at the end of their career a lot of them. This will be the biggest game of their life. You know, they're gonna play overseas profession, but they won't play in a big monster arena or a big game like that probably ever again.
Speaker 3: So I think that was you know, I think that was. That's something I really will Missy. It's just that sort of thing. Now, then you get to the final four. First of all, I mean, I'm not gonna act like I'm some sort of genius, but I said all one seeds to final four because I thought they were all better, and I think they all showed themselves to be a lot better.
Speaker 4: Honestly.
Speaker 3: You know, none of them really got a test, except maybe Houston against Purdue.
Speaker 4: I mean, they all just kind of exploded.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna have, just from a talent perspective, one of the best final fours.
Speaker 4: Of all time.
Speaker 3: But it does feel like drew the four best teams made it. They were kind of definitively the four best teams and now we'll see what happens.
Speaker 6: Yeah, even Florida was on the ropes a little bit, but they had a good comeback, making some threes down the stretch to win that one. In my bracket, I had three ones in Alabama beating Duke. I think in hindsight that was just me being a Duke cater. I had them losing in the second round. But Duke has just run through everyone. So it does make for a good final four with the matchups. You know, some people hate on it being all chalk and it's lame to pick one seeds, but this year they just seem to be much blamed to.
Speaker 4: Pick one seeds if it's correctly right. When I went on tom since eighty.
Speaker 3: Five, when I went on ESP and the Joe Fortenbaugh and and my man Qugh Myers, they were like, how are you gonna pick all one seeds because it's gonna be what happens, Like I pick wrong things and it has.
Speaker 4: Now I feel like we've gotten.
Speaker 3: A pretty good set of results for Kentucky fans. And what I mean by that is, you know, Arkansas lost the same round we did. Yes, right, Louisville lost in the first round. Tennessee does beat us, but then they don't make a final four. They remain probably the best program to not make a Final four. The only thing left I think for Kentucky fans is can we get someone besides Duke to win?
Speaker 4: In a perfect world, I would want Houston to win.
Speaker 3: Houston has no effect on us. I mean they they haven't. You know, they haven't won one.
Speaker 4: Have they ever want?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: They want did they win one? No? I don't think they've won.
Speaker 5: They've ever won.
Speaker 3: Say, you know what, give it to Houston, Auburn and Florida I'd be okay with.
Speaker 4: So now let's just get Duke to lose. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So Houston plays Duke right and Florida plays Auburn correct.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna get one SEC team in the fine.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm hoping for. I'm probably leaning SE so you don't have to hope.
Speaker 4: That's gonna happen. One of those two teams is gonna be in the fund.
Speaker 5: And that's what the team I'm cheering for. I would like to see Houston, but I'm probably gonna pull for an SEC team.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I've been a diehard Houston fan ever since Friday Night. Kelvin Sampson's been knocking on the door for a while. You know, Kentucky knocked him out a few years ago. They've they've been in the hunt just about every year. I think this year they finally get it behind them. I'd probably hate saying it out loud and maybe want Bruce to get one ahead of Florida, but Duke is bottom, bottom, bottom of what we want to see.
Speaker 3: Did you see the Houston tweet Shannon to the guy there was somebody there was someone from Purdue that had written something like Kevin Sampson doesn't know how to coach or something during the game, and the Houston official, not the basketball account, the official university account, retweeted it and said, you forgot your l.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good good. I thought that was whoever ran that.
Speaker 3: Houston account to me, if you weren't for him before, Shannon, that might have been the reason to do it.
Speaker 2: And what a dumb comment saying that he can't coach as he's in the final four now, but out.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a final four of guys. You know, Kelvin Sampson. People got Houston fans. You can't even give people compliments anymore. And I thought this was a compliment. I said, Kelvin Sampson's one of the three best coaches in the country. He takes, which I agree, I do think now I think I would say Bill self, uh, Tom Izzo and him and then you know, maybe throwing Rick right like, but I I do think though, and well, I'm sorry Danny Hurley. I meant Bill Self, Danny Hurley and him is all ill put just a not below because he hadn't you know, it's not been as good the last few years.
Speaker 4: But I thought that was.
Speaker 3: A kind and I said, he wins with dudes you've never heard of, which, let's be real, like who I mean, LJ.
Speaker 4: Crier, Okay, maybe maybe you've heard it. Who else? Nobody?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, all I got was people, you'll know ball you casual, no ball, Shandon, you know what.
Speaker 2: You're probably right, we don't know you know what?
Speaker 3: We only who the seventh man for Houston is I have no idea, But here's what I know.
Speaker 4: They've had the same dudes for ten years.
Speaker 3: All of whom look like they could beat you into submission, and they're tough. And then one of them graduates and then they just clone his twin and come out there and play again.
Speaker 4: And my point this is a compliment. I never even know their players, but I know they're gonna be good. And that's to That's to Kevin SAMs.
Speaker 5: He's an outstanding coach. He had years ago, made Oklahoma on one of the best runs we've you know, seen in the last twenty five years. He was doing the same thing in Indiana before he got in trouble. Now he's done the same thing in Houston. Everywhere he goes. The guy's a winner.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, I am a casual in times. I mean, name me, heyse Okay, mariw you watch a ton of basketball. Give me someone from Houston's roster the last ten years, the last ten years. Just give me a Houston player besides Crier. I think they had a guy named like Snead, a chem eLife one. Now that was a long time she'd shed. Now name another one. Oh about you? Sir, let's call collectively put our hands. Let's all these casuals put our heads together.
Speaker 6: Name some Houston play Traymond Mark that transferred to the SEC.
Speaker 4: Don't think that's a real person.
Speaker 5: So Clyde the Glide directions.
Speaker 3: Again, that's the eighties. But my point is that you know, but that's a compliment to him. We don't know any of these people, and they're still in the final.
Speaker 5: Like Drew said, they've been knocking on the door for several years and I didn't know. The Purdue had him down there and I thought, oh no, he's gonna collapse again. But he was able to find a way to win it, get to the final four.
Speaker 3: The only negative about them is you got to see Jim Nance. Yeah, that's the only na he's sitting there. He's the only person I know that went there.
Speaker 2: You don't like Jim Dance?
Speaker 4: What's wrong with Jim Nance? It's fine. I just feel like I'm looking at an oil payer. You don't want his ties. You don't want tie I do?
Speaker 3: I do like Jim. Maybe he'll give me a pin again. Eight five, nine, two, eight oh twenty two eighty seven. We're gonna talk about UK has been busy in the portal. Sweet sixteen has a UK player as a champion, and then controversy in women's basketball. There's a lot to yab about. That's next here on KAZAR Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio. How are you a five, nine, two eight oh twenty two eighty seven? We have some breaking news. Shinnon tea dude running nine Prisa has entered the transfer portal. He will be uh using his final year of eligibility and we'll go somewhere that is not Kentucky as he enters the transfer portal. For me, this is not surprising news at all. I like Kerr and I think he's a He's a fun guy to have around. I don't know that it went great here. I think fans really loved the kid, but I think maybe things weren't glorious with him and and uh.
Speaker 4: In uk So.
Speaker 3: This is one of the things with Mark, like you're not gonna hear anything negative, which is why I think he's going to be a beloved coach. But I can just tell you I don't think things went exactly the way they wanted them to uh so, but I'm sure he will still get what do you call it when you leave a job in the smagles, I write you a letter of recommendation. I'm sure he'll still get a letter of recommendation, but I think it's been known probably since January that he would not be back right.
Speaker 5: And you know, he knows that Kentucky's gonna bring in a point guard and Kerr himself.
Speaker 3: It's a mutual decision. This is not, this is not. This is very much a mutual.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he can go in the open market and find a team that also needs a point guard make some money in the same process. So I don't think it's a shocked anybody he's leaving.
Speaker 4: What is this is gonna be his fourth or fifth school Virginia or four for school, fifth year for school, maybe six year.
Speaker 6: I really enjoyed having him around, and he even was a good teammate on the bench during game was injured. I mean I was surprised how emotional he was after the loss Friday night, after not playing as much and kind of knowing he was on his way out. But yeah, I think once he got injured, you know, things weren't working out well with maybe just being around town. You know, Kurt likes to have a good time and uh, even if he off the court stuff wasn't there. I just in a numbers game. I don't know where you would have put him because you got to get a guard. You got Jasper coming in, uh, another guard coming in. Just and he's a guy playing another year of college basketball. He's gonna want to start and make a lot of money, and it wasn't there for him here.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you can like somebody and just be like, I like you, just not here. And I think that that may have been it with her.
Speaker 6: I think that fun personality was on at all times, and sometimes it's like we need to be a little more.
Speaker 3: I will say this, and I think this is gonna apply to what we talk about in a little bit as well with the women's basketball thing. I think it's very important for people sitting at home to not assume you know everything because of like what you see during the game. Right, So sometimes you'll see somebody like I remember we had a game earlier this year where somebody was like, I don't like so and so's facial expressions, and I wanted to be like the camera was on them for twenty five seconds. Maybe you caught them on the bad twenty five seconds. I think sometimes you know, just because you just because you think you know, there's a lot of time in these people's lives, you don't know what's going on, and so I just think it's important with Kerr, Like I think a lot of people wanting to return because they lie him and he's funny and they like him on the bench. But I think it was probably it's but probably best for both and I hope he goes and crushes it somewhere else. You know, we heard I got a text message back after he got hurt saying he'll be at Saint John's next year. It's hard for me to see him playing for rig but if he does, then I'm gonna say that text message.
Speaker 4: Knew what they were talking.
Speaker 5: He did kind of become after I got hurt in the Gonzaga game, kind of the team cheerleader on the bench when Otega hit the last second shot against that, Kerr was the first guy that ran down to Florida by three. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the players really liked him a lot.
Speaker 6: I remember him for injuring himself in the Gonzaga game and still running the link to the courtot with a bum leg. That was and that showed he did have a lot of heart when he was playing.
Speaker 3: And he had some personality early on when some of our other players were maybe just kind of getting to feel it. All right, So let's talk about our portal. You know, if you if you subscribe it. First off, if you go to Kentucky Sports Radio, you'll hear all the major commitments and meetings. If you go to KSR U plus and you do that, we have a special I think it's like a dollar right now or whatever you can and you can kind of get the scoop in the scuttle.
Speaker 4: But let's go through, all right.
Speaker 3: So Donovan Dan, the kid from New Mexico, Kentucky had out offered everybody and then UCLA matched it. He wanted to go there because it's closer to home. So Kentucky now looking a lot of different directions, they get the commitment from the kid from Tulane. Again, people online were like, you don't know anybody's name, you just know the kid from I'm not learning people's name till they come. Why do I need to learn people's name if they're not gonna be here, right, So you get the Robert Morris kid and the Davidson kid. I think they're gonna get one of those two guys. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I think they will. Those are two the Robert Morris kids hanging out in Spain. So I don't know if we're gonna go there or not. Those are the bigs. They're now talking to the point guard at Georgia. What's his name, Silas?
Speaker 4: Lannie Silas? Do you remember him from when we played?
Speaker 5: I remember the name. The name tells me, but I don't remember what he did against this.
Speaker 3: That severe wheeler pipeline from Jo So yeah, he started then LSU they have a name a guy named.
Speaker 6: What Victorious Miller Victorious, which is a great name. Also the son of Silk the Shocker, one of my favorite rappers. Yeah, he's the son of Silk, the nephew of Master P.
Speaker 3: Make him say uhh no, no, no, no, no uh he they're talking to him. Then they've got uh the kid at Sam Houston State that shoots all the threes.
Speaker 4: Right. Who else has come in and out of our lives?
Speaker 6: There's a new uh new one that popped up yesterday or maybe Saturday from UCF Big twelve lening score.
Speaker 4: He's a Big twelve leading score.
Speaker 3: Now he's case because he's a big twelve leading scorer, scores a lot, but this would be his fourth school in four years, and some people are like.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a bad time.
Speaker 3: You know. My view about that is if Mark thinks he can make it work, then I think he can make it.
Speaker 4: Wow. But he was a big twelve leading score that's pretty good.
Speaker 6: There was a zoom schedule today, so they're taking it seriously.
Speaker 5: Yes, uh was great about we saw roster construction. Getting the guys to fit the pieces. What he wants to do offensively, So he'll go out and get those guys to fit the pieces.
Speaker 3: Let's sen the Georgia point guard. There's a great story about him. What was his name again, Silas Jr. Silas boy, old man, Silas Dimmery's boy. Apparently Mark Pope on Saturday called up Silas Dimmery said hey, Silas, what are you doing man? And he was like, I'm just doing my thing with my Dimmery family and he said you got dinner plans and.
Speaker 4: He's like, no, just Saturday, we're hanging out.
Speaker 3: Mark said see you then and he just flew to Georgia and had dinner with it.
Speaker 5: Really, that's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: Why are you surprised this was on KSR Plus.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to be the sidekick guy, Like you're telling me a new story.
Speaker 4: Oh you already knew that. Yeah, okay, don't be fake, just just if you know it. I thought you were breaking news to Ryan.
Speaker 2: I don't believe them, right, I love you.
Speaker 5: I don't believe that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw that, you saw it? Yeah, so so why did you that go?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: That's my job as the co host kind of prop up the lead guy.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so I'm gonna keep explaining it to you.
Speaker 3: So Ryan, he then goes to Georgia and shows up and has dinner with him.
Speaker 5: That's pretty damn cool.
Speaker 4: I think it's cool, right cool? What are you doing for dinner? Nothing? We're coming from Kentucky. You like that He wasn't even invited to dinner.
Speaker 5: He just can't What if Lonnie Demmy had a date Saturday night?
Speaker 3: Well Lonnie would if. I don't know if Silas did. But what what do you make of it?
Speaker 6: I like the Jacob a k s R Plus interviewed the family. They were like, we kind of didn't believe him when he was like, what are you all doing?
Speaker 4: For dinner.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna head that way, like is he being serious? And then you know, hops on the jet pops up a couple hours later, Shandon awesome or weird?
Speaker 2: Awesome?
Speaker 4: Awesome but.
Speaker 5: Very awesome.
Speaker 4: Yes, he could come to my house.
Speaker 3: So I have a feeling silas dimmery sounds like, I mean, they're gonna go have dinner with him.
Speaker 6: They're very interested in he's visiting Saint John's today though, can tomorrow go away?
Speaker 4: I'll be right back. TJ. Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ. He'll make them pay now.
Speaker 2: More of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: This could be our basketball team next year. Uh nanah, nanah.
Speaker 5: What do you think I like it?
Speaker 4: Go for it? Yes? If I'm nine two eight, is.
Speaker 5: Gonna come out bopping his head to this?
Speaker 4: I think you would. Yes, and it'll be dork, but it'll be awesome. Right. One person rights, Matt.
Speaker 3: I love when people invite themselves to my house to eat food.
Speaker 4: I do that sometimes.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I just say, like, oh, Hobby, Jason, would you you want you want?
Speaker 4: You want company?
Speaker 5: What do you haven't eat tonight?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because Like, one of the things I've learned about people is it's, uh, what's the word, what's the word I'm looking for?
Speaker 4: Where where you don't move?
Speaker 3: And you just like, ah, I can't think whether what's the word I'm looking Anyway, The biggest thing that keeps people from hanging out with their friends and doing stuff is that they just don't make plans, like like nobody just like they just nobody makes the initial call. So you make the initial call just to get people moving. Yeah, right, because everybody's waiting for somebody to call them. You're that guy. Yeah, because I'm the single one of our of my friends, I'm the one trying to remind the married people.
Speaker 4: That they have lives outside of their house that they can go and do. Right, So you can come meet at my house anytime.
Speaker 3: What's the word where you talk about like, it's I want to say inerrancy, but inertia. Inertia is what keeps people from there. You just stop and you just stay where you are.
Speaker 5: So do you call Hubby say hey, what are you eating? And then Jason what he's in it? And picked the best one?
Speaker 4: No, I don't ask them to cook.
Speaker 3: I'll say it might be a Friday night, I'll be like, you all have dinner plans, you want to go out? If they say, well, it's I'm like, well if you want, like, I'll bring the food over and they usually will say yes to that.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't never ask people to cook for me. That would be a little I don't think Mark Pope was like, hey, woman cook for me and I'm gonna come see your son. I'm sure they would have catered it. Probably not to eat there. Yeah, but you can crash our house anytime.
Speaker 4: Do we get do we get credit? Do I I get credited?
Speaker 3: If kerkcrease a pic Saint John's because we just had another person, right, So you think it's gonna be saying.
Speaker 5: You're the first person I heard say that.
Speaker 4: I say back in December, long time, a long time. All right, So you sent something out last night that was like what did you send out? With the internet on fire? My phone was blowing up about it.
Speaker 5: I just tweeted out magoon and then the googly eyes, google eyes, googly eyes.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 3: You gotta be careful with that because like people might have thought you were like Magoon, what a handsome fellow. That's not that's not what you were doing. You think we're gonna get the kid. He's from San Diego.
Speaker 5: States, San Diego State, seven foot or thin, he's only like two ten ten. Yeah, when he went to say slender Man, yes, and I think when he first got there he was one ninety seventy. But uh, yeah, he's uh did a zoom call yesterday apparently went very very well. I would just keep an eyeball on him. Magoon Gwathe.
Speaker 3: Now you have been pretty money with your scoop, but then you had a scuttle butt fall apart.
Speaker 4: So we calling this a scoop or a scuttle butt.
Speaker 5: It's scooped that he met with him.
Speaker 4: And that, but is it scooped that he's coming here.
Speaker 5: We hasn't pulled the trigger yet, but I would say I would say chances are.
Speaker 4: Very, very, very very question is it scoop or is it scuttle butt?
Speaker 5: A scoop?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay.
Speaker 6: Chaos Board lit up about it last night and I didn't have answers.
Speaker 4: I was like, the thing with scoop women is you also said he looks a woman. One more school.
Speaker 5: Michigan, Michigan Today.
Speaker 6: Apparently he's still considering staying at San Diego State. But I rode on the board with Scoop women. You don't know if he fell for a photoshopped image or if he had the Gwaff family over at his house.
Speaker 4: I mean, we don't know. There's a wide range of scoops scoop here. Yeah, that's true. He could.
Speaker 3: He could either fall for anything or be making out with the mother, like any of the questions.
Speaker 6: But it is rare for him to put himself out like on a on a transfer recruitment there.
Speaker 4: So it got a lot of tension. Your dad had like eighty thousand views on it. What Yeah, everyone everyone thinks you've got the scoop here.
Speaker 3: Everybody's like, he doesn't say much of worth, but when he does.
Speaker 2: It's reallyws this morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, just.
Speaker 5: The googly eyes. I just think he looks good.
Speaker 4: I do like Magoon wild. I hope we get him.
Speaker 6: He was the defensive player of the year and the freshman of the year. He can step out and shoot three a little bit. I'll play the four or the five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, here's the way I'm judging this recruiting. We you know there.
Speaker 3: This happened last year in the portal we have so many like Charlie Doomsday people who are like, we don't get a guy go pope Clothes're like, look, this is what this is now. What this is now is really managing money. You have a said amount of money and you have to build the pieces to the money that you have. And the problem for us judging it is we don't know how much money they have, although I do think they have quite a bit, and we don't know what the other people have, really, yeah, and we don't know what the other people need. And because of that, you can't just judge it in like a straight he sold him monitor or not. There's a financial component and because unlike the in Major league sports, we don't know the money we will starting next year, but we don't right now, you're just kind of left like, well, we're gonna get some of these guys and then we're not.
Speaker 4: I don't think it really says a.
Speaker 3: Lot about think about Kobe Brea, he picked us over Kansas due blah blah blah. Well, some of that I'm sure is he liked Mark Pope, but some of us, we probably gave me more money than Kansas and dude did so, I mean, that's kind of what we don't know.
Speaker 5: And like I said earlier, he's so good about just picking the guys that fit his program. I think he went out in a short amount of time and picked the perfect guys to fit what he wants to do offensively. This year, he'll do the same thing this year. He knows who he's got coming back, He'll go out and get the fill in the holes with a big guy, a point guard, a shooter.
Speaker 3: One person rates Matt. What was it like for you, Mom and Larry to go to the game? I think they really liked it. It was a lot though, Like it was, it was a lot. I mean, I don't know the last time you've taken an eighty seven year old around a NCAA Championship arena.
Speaker 4: There's a lot happening.
Speaker 3: I don't think you realize just when you go all the motion that's everywhere. Then you throw in taking them to tin roof where it was like they were the Beatles, like you know, people just taking their Like it was, it was a lot. And then the walk for those of you on the walk who came over and like would help my dad off a curb or something like, it was very very nice, but we walked. I thought it was right around the block, and it was like a mile, and you know, there's just so many people. Then you get in the arena and there's people just everywhere and they're all running around. And then you know, when my parents sit down, I go up there and everybody's talking to it's it's I think it was.
Speaker 4: I think they loved it, but I also think Ryan maybe was a little overwhelming for them.
Speaker 5: You know, I think we all got a kick of you telling the story of you guys walking over. People come up, put their arm around Larry, getting a selfie with Larry.
Speaker 4: I mean people were taking selfies of Larry.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you no one's ever taking a selfie of Larry, Like I don't think Larry necessarily knows what a selfie is.
Speaker 4: And because he still has like a touchdown phone.
Speaker 5: And he said he was moving fast with a cane, he was booking it.
Speaker 4: I think he felt like he had to move really fast and we were like my mom and I just kept going, it's okay, we can slow down. But I think he wanted to keep up with the hustle and the bustle.
Speaker 3: And then we ended up on behind that TV shot really neat, like that'll be a picture I'll keep of us walking into the arena and so but you do have to take moments.
Speaker 4: Through to appreciate that because like I.
Speaker 3: Don't know how many times I'll get to do something like that again, like to sit at the tournament with my parents and watch the game and have it was just it was it was nice, but it's but that's a that's a big place and there's a lot going on getting in and out.
Speaker 6: Well, I got to Tenru first, knowing they weren't far behind, and I was even telling people now when they get here, let's create a path at a table reserved.
Speaker 4: But when Larry got there thirty minutes.
Speaker 6: For our show and there's just the house of dj blasting clubbing music. It's a right by Larry's ear, I'm thinking it's one thing we're going on.
Speaker 4: But before we start, you know Shannon, the DJs like and listen to.
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing he did was take his hearing naids. As he did, he took both his hearing aids out because it was pretty loud.
Speaker 5: It was loud, very loud.
Speaker 4: But your wife, apparently Abby was very sweet to my fav My mom probably said nine or ten times like Abby is the sweetest, And there was a little bit of like are you gonna get married?
Speaker 3: Like is there ever gonna be an Abby like in your in your life?
Speaker 4: But she was very nice.
Speaker 6: She was very excited to help him get in hang with him while we were yapping. She's a great teammate.
Speaker 3: Sweet sixteen Malachai Moreno and Great Crossing win the title. Lot of upsets on the on the way the final was bowling Green and Great Crossing, which is surprised a lot of people. Moco Montgomery County got to the semifinals, but was he named MVP?
Speaker 4: Malcolm Morenos named MVP.
Speaker 3: So another of these guys going and playing in the Sweet sixteen, winning the title and then coming to Kentucky. He joins that list. It's only like, you know eight or ten people. He joins at this that.
Speaker 5: I went to the championship game Saturday night and he just dominated, and they said he was just as good in the semifinal game against Moco. I think he saved his best basketball for here at the end of the season and show everybody why he's a five star and why he's mister Basketball and why he's coming to Kentucky and he's just gonna get better and better.
Speaker 4: Won the state championship.
Speaker 3: Think about this, played in the semifinals at one thirty on Saturday. Then they do that thing where they play the finals at night. I don't ever understand why they do that, but they play the finals at night. He then must have gotten on a plane. He did, because he was then at the McDonald's All American practice on Sunday and he was named one of the outs of the All American practice after just having won the state.
Speaker 6: Tournament the night before. Gota be an exhausting run for him. But I mean they've played so well. They pretty much ran through the Sweet sixteen, and I just think it's cool. You know, last year's Sweet sixteen championship had two future Wildcats in it. Now next year's roster is gonna have another state champ on it, hopefully the other two stick around. You have three kids on UK's roster who were in the last two championship games of the state tournament. That's that's pretty unique for Kentucky roster these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so very cool. And I think a lot of the staff was at that game on Saturday night. The ones that didn't go have dinner with what's his head?
Speaker 5: I didn't see him. I'm saying on press Row any my free chick fil A.
Speaker 3: See them press row acting like you were a super stuff getting to the mcgoon scoop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, getting the mcgoon soop.
Speaker 3: The Finals are here for college basketball and it's the last time to bet on the college basketball season. The Final four live betting, exclusive content, promos and parlays. DraftKings the ultimate basketball destination. Use my promo code ksrdy get one hundred and fifty dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five dollars. It's only at DraftKings. The crown is yours called one hundred game. Or if you have a gaily problem the eighteen plus Kentucky only elgibly strict is blying new customers only. Bonus bits about one hundred and sixty eight hours at traditions. Additional terms responsible gaming resource see DKNG, dot co slash audio. We'll take a break, be right back. Talk a little about what's been burning up the internet. This is KSR. Yes, the selfie patrol there in Indianapolis, Ay five to nine, two eight oh twenty two eighty seven text machine is seven seven two seven seven.
Speaker 4: Four five two five four.
Speaker 3: All right, so let's talk for just a second about the other big story the weekend, which was on the women's side. Cassidy Row who's from eastern Kentucky where in Eastern.
Speaker 5: Kentucky, Shelby Valley High School.
Speaker 3: Shelby Valley High School, uh, came to came to UK, played here for a few years, and then she posted that she was no longer going to be playing basketball at Kentucky. She actually was no longer going to play basketball at all, even though she has a year of eligibility.
Speaker 4: She's gonna go I think to physical therapy school or something.
Speaker 3: And then reports started coming out from various people that cover the women's team that Kenny Brooks did not offer like sort of suggested to her she needed to transfer and that wouldn't have a scholarship for this year. There are some people very upset online, I think in part because they might have known her when she was in high school. Her dad is a prominent coach. Some media members very upset, seem like some fans very upset as well. Ryan, I'm curious we have not talked about this. I'm curious as to what your take is.
Speaker 5: I can see coach Brooks's point, and he wants to get the best players possible to try to win a championship. They now have fifteen scholarships. Cassidy Row is going to be a senior. She's the one girl that stayed during the coaching transition and kind of held everything together. She gave everything she had to this program for three years, and now you're telling her your senior year that you don't have a spot for when you've got fifteen spots on that bench. I can see her Coach Brook's point, but I think the perception of it is horrible.
Speaker 4: True kind of agree.
Speaker 6: I mean, she committed to UK earlier in her high school career, committed to Matthew Mitchell, had a couple bad injuries, still made it to UK. She seems like she's been nothing but a great teammate. There's clips that were going around. Now she's the first one off the bench to you know, congratulate or whatever's going on in the game. She hops right up and wants to be a part of it. You know, if he has seven transfers ready to go to take all those spots, I guess I get it. But I still think you got to look at the circumstances on this one, or if you knew it was gonna happen, let her know before she could at least have a senior day as a junior. It just seems like someone that's been a pretty good glue around that program lately and nothing but a good teammate shouldn't be pushed out the door like that. Having all the Kentucky connections and everything else.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's important to note Kenny Brooks hasn't said anything, so we don't know. I mean, we only know what Cassidy said, and she didn't throw him under the bus. I mean, I think a lot of the reports are from outside people, and I'm sure those reports are true. I'm not questioning them, but we haven't heard anything from Kenny one way or the other.
Speaker 4: So here's the thing. I think it's I want to try to figure.
Speaker 3: Out why people are so frustrated by this, because I do want to narrow into why I think.
Speaker 4: People are frustrated. First of all, this happens all the time.
Speaker 5: It does.
Speaker 3: This happens all the time. Kenny Brooks is not the first coach to do this. Take any coach that you love that has ever coached here and they have asked.
Speaker 4: People to leave, all of them.
Speaker 3: Cale did it, Tubby did Ita, Tino did it, rich Rich Brooks did it, Mark Stoops has done it. Matthew Mitchell did it, MinJe Minjeon did it. A ton so any So it can't be that people are mad that he asked someone to transfer.
Speaker 4: That's happened with everybody, So that let's start with that. Second.
Speaker 3: You know, it can't be that she's stuck around, because that's happened with everybody, right, I think what bothers people At its core? Would you agree, Ryan, is that she's from Kentucky?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's odd to me how much this has worked people up. And I think it's gotta be the fact that she's from Kentucky.
Speaker 4: And would you agree with that?
Speaker 5: And not just from Kentucky, She's from the mountains, She's from.
Speaker 3: Shelby Valley And so is that why you think people are up?
Speaker 5: I think that's a huge part of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the question then becomes like, I get it, but would we feel this way all the time? If are we going to take because you're you're gonna have to be careful. John Caliperry used to say privately that the reason he was has to take people from Kentucky is once you take him, you're adding the baggage of all the fan expectations of the state. That there's kind of a once you take a kid from Kentucky, better be good because the fans will expect you to play him and you'll hear about it all the time.
Speaker 4: And I think that's a big reason why he didn't take kids from Kentucky.
Speaker 5: Play some truth to that.
Speaker 3: So I do think it's worth noting that, like, if you want these people, these coaches, to take kids from Kentucky, you have to be judged on the same standards.
Speaker 4: Now, do I think Cassi Rowe can play should play. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch it enough to say, so I can't say I'm.
Speaker 4: With you a little bit.
Speaker 3: There's fifteen scholarships. It feels like there'd be one for her. But we also have to say if we say that because someone's from Kentucky, it's a different standard, it's gonna make people less likely to get people from Kentucky.
Speaker 4: That's probably true, right.
Speaker 5: I guess what if Coach Pope told Trent or Travis, you don't have a scholarship next year.
Speaker 4: We want you to people would be furious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same thing.
Speaker 3: So but then if I'm Mark Pope and this kid two years down the road and I'm not sure, but I'd like to give him a chance, do you then go I don't want.
Speaker 4: That pushback again, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean Kenny told a lot of got people to leave last year. He told her to come back if she wanted to.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think everybody got so mad when he told the other people leave.
Speaker 3: It's just I I get it. I understand why people are upset. And my inclination is to be pro Eastern Kentucky. And if it were me as coach, I'd leave her on the team, be like, it's I got fifteen scholarships. But I also think we gotta be consistent. And now, if we set the presdent of if you recruited for kid from Kentucky, they have to stay all four years no matter what, you're probably gonna get fewer people recruited from Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think the big thing is just there's so many open spots. People are like, is there not just any way to keep her? You know, if they were down to just two or three roster spots that were open. They need to open another one to go to the portal. You'd probably sit with it a little better. But the fact that she's been feels like she's been a part of that program for eight years. I think she committed in like eighth grader or as a freshman. Just adding to it, everybody's known about her, and it just makes you wonder, are you really gonna go out and get that many people that there wasn't a spot for.
Speaker 4: But maybe he is.
Speaker 6: You know, it's his job to win basketball games and have the best roster he can.
Speaker 5: I think her backstory too, people fell in love with it because she blew her knee out like it was a sophomore or twice, rehab got back. Then her senior year she blows out the other knee, rehabbed, got back, made the rash Kentucky on her scholarship. She came to UK. Like I said, she's just kind of the the off the court leader, just kind of the glue that holds everybody.
Speaker 3: She's off the court leader to the fans. I mean George Amore was the leader of the team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, so like we fans had the connection, but George Amore was the leader of the team.
Speaker 3: Listen, I've never I don't even know if I've ever met this young woman.
Speaker 5: We met her when we did the show at Shelby Valley that day.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, show, Okay, you're right, you're right about that. I've met her dad, I think once or twice. She seems like a wonderful person. I don't I don't know at all. But I would also say, like, you know, this is also the business we're in now, Like part of the part of the thing about giving players money and giving them the ability to transfer is this. This is the other side, which is, if it's a business, it's a business.
Speaker 5: The other one it's a free agency.
Speaker 3: It's a free agency, and that that I can see why that would bother people. But if you're people like me who think these players should get paid, who think Georgia Amore and Claire Strack and these people should get I think Cassie had some nil deals, right, I think, then this is the opposite of it, which is they're gonna say, well, it's a business, so I hate it for But I also think we don't know everything. So I'm hesitant to condemn it. If that makes sense, Yeah, we'll take a break, come back. I renumber two. It's kus owner