Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, I'm Strong and Getty and now he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: The President eager to get the bill across the finish line as we see prices rising amid the trade war. He launched at Walmart, the nation's largest retailer, the cost of some toys way up. A baby born doll that cost thirty four ninety seven in March now costs forty nine ninety seven, up roughly forty three percent last month. An etches sketch cost fourteen ninety seven. Now it's twenty four to ninety nine, a nearly sixty seven percent increase.
Speaker 4: Wow, the humble let's just sketch twenty five bones.
Speaker 2: That's wrong.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's not a minor increase in price. Well, in that baby born a you might as well have a real baby at that price to that Wow, the humble edge of sketch doubling in price. Yeah, frustrating its artistic so Elon Musk blaming the calling the bill an abomination.
Speaker 5: We will get into that more later, because that's one of the lead stories today, and the fact that it's the lead story is kind of its own story. But in addition to the big giant bill going through economically, we got this tariff situation. I mean, I'd like to know how many more prices there at the Walmart have gone up that much.
Speaker 4: That's a lot, right, right, Yeah, that's shocking.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I can't get off the.
Speaker 4: Edge of sketches is an example. I mean, at this point, you can use a free app type for ten seconds and generate a professional quality illustration of Joe Biden surfing on the back of a dolphin smoking a bong in mallow.
Speaker 5: And I want to do the sketch the stairstep stairsteps, stairstep, stairsteps stairstep exactly painstakingly.
Speaker 4: If you jostle it at all and it ruins all your work. Yes, that instead of the uh chat GPT or what have you.
Speaker 2: Uh So, it's funny. I had a thought as we.
Speaker 4: Were getting the material together for this segment, I'm picturing myself back in college and no need for gladys. This didn't actually happen taking some you know, high level political science class where they said, all right, we're gonna describe this scenario for you. You have two superpowers, one well established, one rising. They are mortal enemies in sworn to dominate each other, and yet they have a huge and life sustaining trade relationship. Hostilities begin now keeping in mind each country's best interests. How do you think lovedon? I would I would think.
Speaker 6: Wait, wait, how did they get? But why would they have that rip? Who's whose ideal was this? This is undenable, there's no sill to this. I'd throw out my hands. And yet here we are.
Speaker 4: It's time to look in the China Cabinet Trade Edition, China.
Speaker 2: That's right, that makes me laugh every time.
Speaker 4: Not very cleverly named a look in the China Cabinet. As we consider number of stories about China again all Trade Edition. First of all, Gavey knew someome of cal Unicornia and Karen Bass and others are about to engage in a closed door meeting with Chinese trade officials as part of GAVI's attempt to establish California as some sort of quasi nation. I suppose then have happy, joy joy meetings with various Chinese corporations and trade officials, and that sort of thing. Worth noting that, in a public warning, a couple of years ago, during the horrific Biden years, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said that state and local officials are at risk of being manipulated to support China Chinese government's agenda, particularly through trade and investment.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 4: Financial incentives may be used to hook US state and local leaders given their focus on local economic issues, the bulletin said, but Gavey will be hobnobbing with the Chinese communists. Nonetheless, moving along, here's the headline for you. You may have heard that Trump, you know, hit China with the tariffs and various tip tat retaliation took place. And one thing, Sijin Ping and his new guy is new negotiator who will talk about in a second if we have time. He's a hard ass. He is interestingly Jack his name is he? So you got he and she in charge of China at this point. Slightly confused. I don't like the pronouns heterosexual couple anyway. Anyway, he's a hard ass and he is advice jan paying. Look, they need the pressure of the rare earth materials for their magnets for all sorts of technologies.
Speaker 2: We just won't give them any rare stuff.
Speaker 4: And or a couple of months ago they said they would, but they're slow walking it badly. So the headline is automakers race to find workaround to China's stranglehold on rare earth magnets. Listen to this now, major manufacturers, fearful they will have to shut down assembly lines both on electric and conventional vehicles, are considering moving some parts production to China. They're fearful they might have to shut down the production vehicles, or mister President, move their production of certain parts to China to avoid complete factory shutdowns. Automakers end up shifting production to China, it would amount to a remarkable outcome for a trade boar initiated by President Trump. That's what's going to say, remarkable outcome. That's not exactly what the plan was. A couple of the rare earth metals included in the consideration Jack include disprosy. I was so excited about pronouncing that, right, disprosium and urbium.
Speaker 5: Urbium is a metal. You know we ought to play rare earth mineral or made up? Yeah, no kidding, I think I bought you this ring.
Speaker 2: It's made of turbium, very rare, and the band dysprosium. Oh moving along.
Speaker 4: China's new trade negotiator is a hard ass.
Speaker 2: This is he, he to she.
Speaker 4: The previous guy was a US educated realist who is like, all right, we both need to make money.
Speaker 2: Let's stay cool now.
Speaker 4: This guy is a deaded communist, dedicated communist, and a loyalist to shij and Ping. He a firm believer in state control just like his boss. She has a clear mandate of not catering to America. Last month's Geneva deal, which China saw as a win, showed she the value of sticking to his guns, according to people who consult with senior Chinese officials, so they have decided to get tougher and strategically. She feels empower to harden his position from the first term of Trump because the arsenal of trade tools China's built under his leadership include export controls of critical materials used to make this the rarest stuff we were talking about, and some other stuff but that are necessary to make chips, cars and the F thirty five jets. So it gives China the ability to cause real pain for the US. And finally, anybody who's done business with China's familiar with the idea of industrial espionage. The self driving truck startup that siphon trade secrets to Chinese companies. It's a company called Too Simple, Tu Simple, and I want you to maybe have a uh TikTok in the back of your mind or the idea of, well, it's a Chinese company, but it's not, you know, it's not a state run enterprise. A week after one of America's largest self driving truck companies promised the US government it would stop sharing sensitive technology with Chinese partners, Too Simple transferred a trove.
Speaker 2: Of data to a Beijing owned firm. Why were there a lot of deep Why were we sharing it in the first place?
Speaker 4: Let me get to that they want a lot of details, said Jooling Han, us based Too Simple Holdings employee to a colleague. Leading Chinese commercial truck manufacturer Photon, sought the data from Too Simples many test drives around Texas very time consuming, expensive, technologically challenging test drives of self driving trucks all over Texas. Too Simple was the leader in the global race to develop self driving trucks that could solve chronic drive shortages, make freight hauling cheaper, bolster military operations. Founded by two Chinese entrepreneurs with money from a Chinese business mogul. The San Diego based company set a record when it structs traveled eighty miles in Arizona without a human driver, and the minute the Chinese based firm said hey, we need all your data, they send it all. That is emblematic of what I'm always ranting about that Chinese nationals, whether now or in the future, will be on the hook for Shesion Ping's orders, all of them, every single one. So what do I want to round up every Chinese American or Chinese student in the car? No, of course not. It's a impractical and be unnecessary. But the awareness that that possibility is not only like extant that it.
Speaker 2: Exists, but it looms large.
Speaker 4: If you've got a a company started by two Chinese citizens I think uh founded by two Chinese entrepreneurs with money from a Chinese business mogul based in San Diego, it's a troubling look inside the China cabinet.
Speaker 5: If we end up losing to China or being surpassed by China number of ways. The way we allowed that to happen is one of the biggest stories in history. It's like Athens and Sparta stuff. I mean it's just huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the Trojan Horse, but over the course of decades and an enormously complex operation. But the Chinese never underestimate your enemy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Not only did Sung two say that, but many generals have throughout history, military theoreticians, they understand American people a are super business horps it. If there's money to be made, we're interested. And secondly, we're friendly and open hearted, and we think everybody else is too until they've stabbed us twice. They could stab us once and we think, well, maybe that was a mistake because we're so naive about other cultures around the world. So you combine that, you know, business friendliness with just an open heartedness, and we're incredibly easy to deceive as a people.
Speaker 5: That's a nice little feature you put together there. I got a handful of things that don't fit into any feature. I just think they're interesting. Something somebody heard in a government meeting yesterday that I found funny new movie that's out, a biopic that I'm kind of interested in. A bunch of other stuff on the way mine more details coming out on that Ukrainian strike in Russia. Freaking fascinating, lots of stuff on the way, stay here.
Speaker 7: Colorado Rockies became the third fastest team to reach fifty losses in an MLB history, making them the worst team in the last one hundred and twenty five years. In response, the team has announced that at future games they're changing take me out to the ballgame to take me out behind the shed and kill me.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's a little dark kind of joke of that. Hey, they'll turn it around. You're gonna bring some boys up from Triple A.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine.
Speaker 5: Remember, originally the Colorado need to gold yeller on them. Yes, Originally when the Colorado Rocky started playing, it was the air is so thin and home runs unfair advantage, blah blah blah. Now they're the worst team in one hundred and twenty five years.
Speaker 2: So yeah, whoops.
Speaker 5: A number of things for you just came across this. The Army has met its recruitment goal four months early. That's a different vibe that we apparently have in the country going right now than was happening under oh Man Biden. Different story. This is from a government meeting. I'll be very vague. I don't want to get anybody in trouble who told me yesterday at this government meeting they were at. It was an all day meeting. At the start of one of the meetings, a woman raised her hand and tearfully asked that the speaker stop saying you guys because it was gender hurtful. So now the speaker says, y'all, wow, I know it's hard to believe that actually exists.
Speaker 2: Please then not use gendered language to advress everyone. Again. That's the you people are crazy morons.
Speaker 4: Meme of like a decade ago, or certainly five years ago.
Speaker 2: When did the NBA Finals start? Michael? Is that tonight? I believe so. Yeah, Pacers and City.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think the Thunder just gonna win the whole thing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know what the ratings are going to be like either, anyway, Uh, just gonna mention this. The Knicks had the best run, the New York Kniggs had the best run they'd had in a quarter of a century, and they fired the code because they didn't make it further. I have been with my favorite teams on the wrong end of this many times. You have the best season you've ever had, but don't make it all the way to your fiery coach, and then it's another quarter century.
Speaker 2: Before you ever get close again. I don't understand that. Yeah, we would have gone all the way if it weren't for that.
Speaker 4: More on, let's switch everything out because we're automatically going to be as good next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyway, that's a funny thing that happens in sports.
Speaker 5: Speaking of sports, a biopick coming out about one of the more fascinating people in all of history of sports, Raiders coach, then popular announcer than video game mogul. As my son is super into playing Madden right now, John Madden. Have you seen the pictures of Nicholas Cage as John Madden?
Speaker 2: I have not let me test Cage. Let me text that to everybody right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Nicholas Cage is going to play John Madden in the bio pick And in this picture right here, he looks exactly like young John Madden, who used to stroll the line with his shaggy hair the sidelines as the coach of the Oakland Raiders.
Speaker 2: So looks pretty good to me.
Speaker 4: I'd like to see a biopic of Nicholas Cage, who will like make any movie that will write him a check, no matter how ridiculous and is an extremely gifted actor. Oh yeah, I mean he's had some great role goes back and forth between super amazing art and then just crap for a bacheic Maybe that's how he funds.
Speaker 2: The art, right sure. And then for some reason yesterday I came across this.
Speaker 5: I know this was a story like six months ago, the whole you can stop a baby from crying by throwing a slice of cheese on their head? Have you ever actually watched in these videos?
Speaker 2: Not that I recall, pretty entertaining. It's lots sounds like it.
Speaker 5: It's lots and lots of babies crying, and then you throw a slice of that, you know, not really cheese, American cheese on their head, and.
Speaker 4: You're not throwing it at the baby. You're just tossing it their head. Pretty close to throwing it at the baby. I don't yeah it throwing it at the baby. You throw the cheese I'm not comfortable slaps on their head and then they stop crying, which is not surprising in that if you know, if you've had a crying baby and you say.
Speaker 2: Hey, now what's going on? Who's who's in a good mood? You know, you can.
Speaker 5: You can just you just interrupt their flow or what they're thinking about. Often they stopped crying, but so will slice the cheese apparently, But it's pretty funny.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, Katie, I don't know about the baby one, but I have seen the trend where people are doing this with their cats.
Speaker 2: Oh really, hey, so I'm behind your toddlers of body training. Isn't going well? Hit them in the head with a ham? I mean, what the hell? This is child abuse.
Speaker 4: I won't sit around chuckling about this so dary product involved child abuse?
Speaker 5: What do you do with the slice of cheese and the cat? I mean, what what? What reaction are you trying to get?
Speaker 2: Exact same thing as the baby?
Speaker 5: They just kind of lean back and you know, did you to figure out why.
Speaker 2: You just toss a piece of cheese on my head? Cheese my face?
Speaker 4: It is definitely an interrupter if you will, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, it gets your.
Speaker 2: Where was I before this cheese was thrown on my head? Ah? Yes, the crying more news of the day. Ah what Elon Musk said, ooh drama.
Speaker 5: I feel a little complicit in this, although I still think it was an interesting story. So There is a been a couple of profiles on the daughter of the weird flamethrower psychopath terrorist uh Boulder suspect's daughter dreamed of studying medicine.
Speaker 2: Now she faces deportation.
Speaker 5: US day to day has As somebody pointed out, I'm glad you USA Today found the real victim. They've done zero profiles and any of the people burned in the attack.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, USA Today is shameless. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It is interesting though that it seems his daughter is an American loving successful What a great country where a woman can be a doctor person and her dad is a nut job?
Speaker 2: Is lomiest scumbag? Yes?
Speaker 4: Correct, coming up next segment. And I don't think I'm over selling this. I've figured it all out. I don't think I'm over selling this. I've figured it all out. We're talking the national debt and deficit and what the future is going to be. Just because I've figured it out doesn't mean you're gonna like it.
Speaker 2: Stay with us.
Speaker 5: My son hits me with that every once in a while. You know that I've figured out the meaning of life.
Speaker 4: Okay, finally, Yes, So this's got a lot of attention. Yesterday, Peter Doocey in the White House press room.
Speaker 5: This gets to the whole auto pen. Who was running the country. Did Joe Biden know what he was doing?
Speaker 2: Story?
Speaker 8: Look at these last minute pardons, the big ones, Biden siblings, Fauci January sixth Committee. Most of the big ones had the same, very neat signature. We would expect that probably to be the auto pen. There is one that looks different, It looks authentic. Is this White House of the opinion that the only pardon that would count is one of the presidents signed himself.
Speaker 2: Very interesting.
Speaker 1: The President is making a good point when he discusses the usage of the autopen. Who was running the country for the past four years. Perhaps those documents were signed with the autopen. Something that this I believe the Department of Justice is looking into. As you saw Ed Martin made an announcement at the Department of Justice this morning to launch an investigation because the American people deserve answers.
Speaker 5: So we have James Colmer, he's head of the committee. I'll just sum up for him so he can move on.
Speaker 4: He says they're going to bring some White House staffers in front of Congress and do some grilling and we'll see. But it is kind of interesting that in that flurry of last minute pardons there's a bunch that appear to be the auto pen. It's hard to argue that Biden wasn't behind those, since it was his own family and everything. But then there's one extra with a different signature. Did somebody slide that in? And you know the most of the most of these or was that the only one the Mummy was aware of?
Speaker 2: True? True? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yeah, and the whole the whole move there in the last week to take drug offenders and move their life sentence to probation or whatever. Was that super progressive staff members that were into that, or was that a big Joe Biden caused his whole life? And I remember at the time it.
Speaker 2: Seemed kind of weird. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I still predicted very little will come of this because it's going to be impossible to nail down anything significant. But yeah, there was the Pollit Buro, as Tapper and Thompson called them in the book, were running the White House to a large extent. I just I'm not sure there's any goal at the end of this rainbow.
Speaker 5: Which is disappointing. But then there's one story I forget what the policy was. But when Mike Johnson became Speaker of the House, he met finally got to meet with Joe Biden, and he said, why did you sign the whatever it was, because that, you know, hurts this and hurts that and everything like that.
Speaker 2: And Joe Biden said, I didn't sign that. I'm still studying that. And Johnson said, no, you signed it.
Speaker 5: So either the old senile man forgot he signed it, which is perfectly believable. I mean, he talked about a woman being dead, then two minutes later asked to talk to her, so you know.
Speaker 2: He told the same story twice back to.
Speaker 5: Back, right, So he could forget signing a bill, or somebody signed it for him and he didn't know.
Speaker 2: Which is also possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the time, I took it to be a senility story, but it absolutely could be, you know the latter. Yeah, I'm not saying don't investigate it because it's an interesting question.
Speaker 2: I heard somebody say the other day. Not somebody. It wasn't like the guideline at the grocery store.
Speaker 4: It was a learned commentator saying, you know, the only thing that the constitution says the president actually has to sign is a bill, but I don't know there are probably statutes surrounding that. That's just something I heard coming up. I've figured it all out. Stay with wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know I would go ahead and be late for work to hear it all has been figured out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I'm still waiting for the Joe Getty Cold Warrior jingle, which I've requested because I have some more China news reasons. Well yeah, yeah, reasons to be extremely suspicious of China and it's various entities.
Speaker 2: After a word from our friends.
Speaker 4: It simply save home security, protect your stuff, protect the people you love with the state of the art fantastic best home security system of twenty twenty five. According to see net, that's simply save home security.
Speaker 5: If someone's lurking around your house, agents can actually talk to them in real time because you've got that liveguard protection situation where people are watching on the cameras and they could talk to them and say, hey, you lurk err, I see you lurk and you better.
Speaker 2: Get out of the copstraw on the way.
Speaker 5: That sort of thing costs you about a dollar a day with a sixty day money back guarantee. If you want to try out the simplice safe system.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 4: Four million plus Americans trust simply Safe, number one in customer service by Newsweek in USA. Today, monitoring plans start around a bucket day. Wait a minute, A system this advanced is around a bucket day. Yeah, check into it. Simply safe dot com slash armstrong. You can claim fifty percent off a new system with a professional monitoring plan.
Speaker 2: You get your first month three too.
Speaker 4: That's simplysafe dot com slash armstrong. There's no safe like simply Safe. So I was talking about this trucking company that was sending all of its data to China a week after it swore to the US government that it wouldn't because the the state of the ability to monitor that sort of thing and crack down on it is very tenuous, very wishy washy, honestly, because we're still emerging from the haze of that China just wants to engage in trade and be our friends. Period of stupidity. But so anyway, I scrolled down too far. So this is too simple. A leader in the global race to develop self driving trucks, they sent a bunch of data to Beijing.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Within a year and a half of this coming, Delight Too Simple voluntarily just shut down its US operations, auctioned off its truck, delisted from the Nasdaq, Its leaders moved hundreds of millions of dollars raised from US investors from the company's accounts to China, according to legal documents, and started new business ventures.
Speaker 5: Wow, well, it's clear what happened there. The whole thing was a ruse, the entire thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I would agree, or at least it was using the United States for our assets and our freedom.
Speaker 2: And the moment.
Speaker 4: We said no, you're going way too far and sharing, you know, confidential data with the Chinese communists, they said, all right, we're out, We're taking our money, goodbye. So just know what you're dealing with when you're dealing with the Chinese.
Speaker 2: Was I supposed to have something?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know. We could break now. I thought, that's on talking on, Yeah, why not? After one more quick mention, the phrase welcome in is driving people crazy?
Speaker 5: What highly controversial? Welcome in? Does somebody say that to you? When do people say that to you?
Speaker 2: Oh? All the time they do, Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Welcome in, welcome homes or a restaurant all of the above stores, and it's driving people great facilities. Yes, why do people say welcome in all of a sudden Why not just welcome? Why?
Speaker 5: I don't ever interact with people, so I'm the wrong person. But also that gets to the whole we've got to I saved this for today because I wanted to talk about it when you were here.
Speaker 2: The whole.
Speaker 5: Is there a crisis with men, adult men and friends in America? Aw, some people just claim there is. I don't know if there is or not, But we'll talk about that later. So coming up the solution to the national debt problem. You're going to hate it.
Speaker 4: Stay with us, Armstrong he Yetti.
Speaker 3: Just days after leaving the Trump administration, Elon Musk ripping into the bill at the heart of President Trump's agenda. I'm sorry, but I just can't stand it anymore, Musk posted on x this massive, outrageous, pork filled congressional spending bill is a disgusting abomination. It comes just hours after Trump declared the bill a big winner, but Musk now insisting the bill will massively increase the already gigantic budget deficit to two point five trillion dollars and burden American citizens with crushingly unsustainable debt.
Speaker 5: The rest of that tweet was Elon saying everybody who voted for it should be ashamed of themselves.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: One more voice, this is Senator John Thune of Sandy, of South Dakota rather thirty three.
Speaker 9: Michael, will this lead to higher deficits? The answer to that is no, They're going to get growth in the economy. And when the economy again is grow on expanding, you get more government revenue. Add to that the almost a couple of trillion dollars in cuts that are in the bill, and you have the most significant reduction in spending and biggest amount of savings in history.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we're going did you want to throw in one comment before we plunge ahead?
Speaker 5: The saving The savings are always on the back end and don't happen the the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely true. So through the use of two.
Speaker 4: Emails, we will set up the problem. Then I will hit you with the obvious solution that is not only going to happen, it's happening now. Cannibalism, that's part of it. So JT writes, both sides live about taxes and spending. They lie to us, probably to themselves. The so called Big Beautiful Bill will make the Trump tax cuts permanent until they aren't, and they will stimulate the economy more than letting them expire. But our economic debt problem won't be solved by keeping the tax rates as they are right now. Tax cuts won't pay for themselves completely.
Speaker 2: They never do.
Speaker 4: Alternatively, tax rate increases never bring down the deficit or the debt. The government just spends more, etc. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: So that's the problem.
Speaker 4: Obviously, nobody's willing to do anything about it politically. This is a brilliant, elegant solution to the debt problem.
Speaker 2: It is also horrifying.
Speaker 4: This is from frequent correspondent Pawlow, who's compiled a couple of different sources, and I am completely convinced if this is in any way wrong, Please tell us why. Mail bag at Armstrong e getty dot com. A theory about Trump's economic strategy, and it's not just Trump's by the way, to intro Intrapolo's flow, They're going to let inflation fix the debt.
Speaker 2: It's not a new idea.
Speaker 4: Fixing it in a sensible way is probably politically impossible anyway, ladies and gentlemen. We have an enormous debt, and it is practically politically impossible to raise taxes enough or cut spending enough to retire that debt and those deficits. So what if we could enact a gigantic hidden tax that people didn't realize they were being taxed.
Speaker 2: That's inflation.
Speaker 4: If you've been listening to the show, we explained it many times how inflation is a hidden tax. You accumulate a certain amount of debt, you print enough money and put it out into circulation.
Speaker 2: That million dollars of debt you owed.
Speaker 4: A few years later, a million dollars feels like half a million dollars. You know how inflation work. If it's prices, it's in reverse. But it's almost like you look back at the rent you paid in nineteen ninety four and you're thinking, wow, that's quaint. Well what if that was a debt, you'd think, wow, that's quaint.
Speaker 2: I can pay that off.
Speaker 4: Right. So, getting back to Powello's email, Trump wants to goose the booming economy. He'll do it and let fiscal policy resolve the situation later, or at least that's how we'll rationalize it, and again the Democrats are fully on board.
Speaker 2: My god, look at the inflation during the Biden years.
Speaker 4: All it takes is a fed that keeps interest rates low, come hell or high water, and inflation be damned. The inflation that follows effectively lowers the debt and effectively taxes everybody at an equal, hard to predict and probably very high rate. That's probably a doable plan, just takes a handful of people to pull it off. Anything that requires Congress will probably never happen. It's called fiscal dominance. And I've got a couple of articles that we could get a little more into detail, slash into the weeds, but you've got the broad outlines of it. We pay off the debt through fueling inflation.
Speaker 2: Well, just from.
Speaker 5: A tax standpoint, if you treat it as a tax, at least it gets spread among everybody, and it's not the very very narrow tax base that is so incredibly unfair and.
Speaker 2: Keeps us from ever dealing with anything.
Speaker 5: But that doesn't work in this case, because we just can't keep spending more than we take in and hiding it in Inflation is not a good idea.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's a horrifying idea. Yeah, it is, what's going to happen. Yeah, Nick G. Lispie is a guy who runs reason on their libertarians. He's a hardcore libertarian. Oh he's wears the other jacket. It's the libertarian look. He was, really, you want to be ready.
Speaker 5: He was responding to Senator Tom Cotton who tweeted out today our tax cuts were set up America for economic growth, and he said, simply, Nick Gllspie said, simply not true. The best thing you could do is reduce spending. That's the one thing the government could actually control with spending. And Republicans like Democrats, never cut spending yet. That's the way.
Speaker 4: It's just like if you want a diet, you can work out really really hard, but you gotta stop eating cake and ice cream. You gotta stop taking in all the glories if you really want to get it under control. Sure you don't grow on the economy, that's all great, But we gotta stop spending so much.
Speaker 2: You just have to.
Speaker 4: It's the only way you're actually going to ever get there. But we won't, or we haven't yet. Well, I think our two grimly realistic correspondents absolutely nailed it. Americans won't consent to taxes high enough to take care of the problem.
Speaker 2: Congress wouldn't even try to pass it anyway.
Speaker 4: It's politically untenable, and as we've seen illustrated all too vividly in the recent Republican effort to do anything about Medicaid. Yeah, which if you're not familiar with it, it's gone from a very small program that was supposed to help the most beleaguered and poor among us to now a program for millions and millions of able bodied working people who just don't feel like working, and they're on the government doll even raining that in slightly. The Democrats mobilized a massive and fairly effective they're trying to render blind people homeless and kick poverty stricken babies, and it worked enough that Republicans backed off. They thought, there's no win in this fight. Screw it, We'll just keep Medicaid as it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Republicans I see on any of the talk shows, they don't do a good job of selling it as Hey, we got a bunch of lazy bums on Medicaid that shouldn't be getting it. They must think that politically that doesn't work, you know.
Speaker 2: I read a piece by Carl Rove.
Speaker 4: And I know a lot of people in the kind of the newer Conservatism don't like Carl Rove at all. And you know, he's got a flaw. He's got flaws like all of us. But he was arguing and he fleshed it out. I might be able to find it. But he said, look, we've just got to pitch the idea that there are freeloaders ripping off the system. Just use the word freeloaders and point out how the freeloaders are taking benefits from the blind people and the poor people and the.
Speaker 2: Babies, which is true.
Speaker 4: And I read it and I thought, that's brilliantly obviously, simply effective. But either the Republicans are gutless cowards, which is certainly possible, or they have perceived that no, that just it doesn't work, it's too easy to frighten people, or we're.
Speaker 2: Not even going to try.
Speaker 5: Or is it that along with those freeloaders have been voting republic in the last couple of cycles, they're now Trump voters, They're now Republican voters. The freeloaders, Hello, we can't be calling out the freeloaders.
Speaker 4: Right, your rust belt, your Appalachia whatever, where the plant is closed and everybody's on disability now and getting government checks. Yeah, it's the hillbilly elogy crowd. Honestly, JD tell us about it. Yeah, that's really frustrating. Yeah, I'm sorry to bring you bad tidings. But now that I see it, I see the problem in the solution, it makes perfect sense. It's a puzzle piece that fits.
Speaker 5: The latest number from the CBO just came out on the disgusting abomination and says the bill could add two point four trillion dollars to the national debt over the next decade. The CBO, of course, it's if it's your opponent's bill, you claim it's accurate. If it's your bill, you claim they never get it right, and then it flips when they the other.
Speaker 2: Side has power.
Speaker 4: Of course, keep in mind, is you pointed out quite aptly not long ago. The spending is immediate, The savings and the cuts are a few years down the road, and they never end up happening. No, so the CBO is underestimated. I would guess the adding to the debt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Mike Johnson can make accurate arguments about cutting spending mathematically, but if the spending is down the road when there will be a different administration in different Congress, and then they do away with it at the time, doesn't make any difference.
Speaker 2: And that has happened over and over and over again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, honey, if we buy this vote, I will give up drinking and golf in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: My argument for us being right is just look at a graph of US debt.
Speaker 5: It only goes one direction, no matter who's president, no matter who has control of all three branches, it just goes one way.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's just a technicality. I don't see your point at all. Oh my god, it's frustrating. Yeah, so democracy doesn't work anymore. We tried. We gave it a good try.
Speaker 5: If you missed a segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty