Speaker 1: Really now, really.
Speaker 2: Really now really he and welcome to really Know Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who want you to know that if you haven't subscribed to our show by now, well it's just abnormal or maybe it's paranormal. And today's show is all about the paranormal. Do you believe in ghosts? Because it seems that a lot of people do. In fact, over the past several years, belief in ghosts, hauntings, in the supernatural has steadily increased, and today a whopping sixty seven percent of Americans believe in the paranormal. Really no, Really, Sue invited two of today's hottest ghost hunters, Ryan Bergara and Shane Midet to join us. Ryan and Shane are the hosts of ghost Files, a hugely popular show that is redefined the ghost hunting genre by combining a true believer with a total skeptic. Together, they investigate some of the world's most haunted locations, and today they happily share their entertaining and unusual old stories with us and be prepared to hear Jason's tale.
Speaker 1: Of the Haunted house Stabbing. Oh No, here's Jason and Peter. Hello and welcome to really know, really another in spite of what.
Speaker 3: You know, money, I'm doing old Robert Clan.
Speaker 1: What was there? Roberton was supernatural? Did he do a supernatural Robert Klin? Oh? That was his signature thing. I walked into a thing.
Speaker 3: It was empty.
Speaker 1: So this episode is about ghosts and ghost hunting, et cetera, because which, by the way, one of my favorite things.
Speaker 4: There is a not not Our Guests, but there is another ghost hunting show.
Speaker 3: On television that when I'm out on the road.
Speaker 4: There were some strange smart TVs where I guess there's a certain program where a whole channel. If a show has had a history, it's twenty four to seven, that's just that show. Yeah, but I well, you're absolutely that's what. But there's one that has a ghost hunting show that's twenty four seven, And I like a schmuck when I go I can't fall asleep by myself.
Speaker 3: I'm not with my wife and I'm out of town.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna watch something.
Speaker 4: Until I get sleepy, and there's always the ghost hunting show. And I know it's all a thing, but I'm riveted.
Speaker 1: So that's really good point. So the reason I wanted to make this I really know, really is I saw that sixty percent said that they believe in paranormal experiences, which is up from a year before, from the year before, from the year before, and continues to grow. Do you believe, I don't believe, And you know.
Speaker 4: That I'm wondering and are now fully conspiracy theory embracing world if people are just more likely to believe things that would have seemed a little hard to believe a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: And you know this because you're a magician. Good magician, But magicians and psychics uses too. They prime me. In other words, they didn't experiment where they say we're going to a theater and this is an architectural theater. We want you to see the beautiful architecture theater. That's one group. The second group is we're going into a haunted theater. Which group saw stuff? The second group a lot of them saw stuff. So you're prime, you're fined for it. The reason I wanted these guys in though you talk about ghost hunting shows, Shane and Ryan, the two guys that are part of this, that are the host of this of ghost foms. The good guy. I love the goal Gay because one is all in and one is a skeptic, and there's nothing better. It's like us.
Speaker 4: I've watched several episodes and it is. It's really fun. They're smart because they're constantly.
Speaker 3: Looking at each other like you before.
Speaker 1: And because of that though, it raises the level because they have to try and get good tech that they can use. It actually works. And I'll let them explain how they came up with it.
Speaker 4: What if it's all beings? What if they're all just for neither one of them believes? They never actually go it's all green smew?
Speaker 1: They please? Why do you go? There? Is there? Before they even come in, You're already to get and by and welcome theking and the Ruta guy.
Speaker 3: Gonna have haunted the end of your two break a five. When I come up with a good song.
Speaker 1: You're gonna take some Seinfels for that song.
Speaker 3: I'm good with that, yes, I will.
Speaker 1: Well, then go all right, let's sit back for Ryan and shape.
Speaker 4: All right, By the way, why is it Ryan and Shane? Why isn't it Shane and Ryan?
Speaker 1: Why is it Jason and Peter? Oh? You were on seinfeal h anyway, that's right. Brian Bergar Shane Theday, Is that right? Right? There you go are the two guys who do ghosts. We fell in love with him because I don't believe in psychic phenomena. Jason kind of does. And the two of you what you do? That's great. All these other shows seem staged, man, I say, because there's big money. You guys have found out because I see you have three sponsors on every episode. There's big money money in acting like you've seen ghost when, by the way, you didn't hear it was the intro. I go, what's great is Ryan's a believer in your skeptic and Jayson goes, what if it's.
Speaker 4: All a bunch of crap? Whether they both don't give a damn? They long pretend I've been long. Yeah, it's Ryan to be sticking.
Speaker 1: But what's great is that you go to talk about how you got together.
Speaker 5: We started a BuzzFeed. We started a company called BuzzFeed.
Speaker 6: We were interns together, and uh, we came up with this show, and I guess the rest was history.
Speaker 5: Really, I guess that's the engaged version.
Speaker 1: When you did BuzzFeed too, did am I right? How many you've got like two hundred million? One billion views.
Speaker 6: I think I think more than that, but I'm not really sure. I don't really know you could get I was trying to say that it didn't seem like actually I think it.
Speaker 5: Was something more, but I'm not actually sure of the real numbers.
Speaker 6: But uh, but yeah, I know. It was a while ago and then we started our own thing over.
Speaker 4: Was the background because I I'm trying to think of, you know, I read BuzzFeed articles.
Speaker 1: Yeahah, was your background journalism or absolutely definitely how did you get to BuzzFeed? What were you pursuing?
Speaker 7: Well, BuzzFeed at the time was they had just started a video department in LA, because they were based in New York, started this little video outfit in LA and they were essentially like both of us were editors by trade. You know, our pods were weirdly similar. After college, we both kind of worked like I worked at Public Access, did a lot of like corporate video jobs in Illinois.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I would film PowerPoint presentations over at usc KEX School of Medicine when people would give presentations on irritable bouse syndrome and like sleep apnea.
Speaker 7: The trend at Buzzy was like if if you were an editor there a lot of times they you know, because it was just such they were pumping out videos left and right, so they'd be like, oh, you know, come be in a video real quick. So we just ended up. You know, if you couldn't find someone to be in your videos and you had an idea for something, you would just like I just sort of start hosting them. And Ryan did the same. And then at some point Ryan started doing BuzzFeed Unsolved, which was kind of like the predecessor to grist Childs, with a different white man named Brent, who was He's like me, but like in a different font.
Speaker 1: He's pretty similar to me.
Speaker 7: And after you know, the handful of episodes, it was doing really well, and what was Brent was.
Speaker 1: Just like yeah.
Speaker 6: It went for ten episodes and then one day he brought me off to the rooftop of a BuzzFeed and he was like looking out. I just remember he was looking out onto sunset and he was he just said, hey, thanks for coming up here. I don't think I could do the show anymore. And I was like, way, why can't you do the show anymore? And he was like, honestly, I never thought it would be popular. I don't think anybody will watch it, and now it's becoming a thing, and I don't want to I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Really, he didn't didn't want to be a public figure.
Speaker 6: I think it was partly that, but he was also like, also the things we cover they're so grim, they're kind of scary, and I don't really like I don't really want to be a part of it. And he's like, I'm sorry to do this, and I was like, all right, man, today, no, no, we're.
Speaker 1: He was essential about the rooftop setting for that kind.
Speaker 6: Of traumatic I think he wanted to just kind of have like a picturesque background to just kind of you know, but you know. And then I was like, all right, fine, I guess I'll figure out another host, and I walked down the stairs, went back to my desk and I actually sat next to Shane at the time, and I was like, hey, Brent just quit the show.
Speaker 5: I'm looking for a co host.
Speaker 6: And there's just like a long, pregnant pause and I was like, you think you think you.
Speaker 1: Could do it?
Speaker 6: And he was like yeah, And I was like, well, you know, I need you to commit because this might become like a thing we do for a couple of years and here we are, like eight years later, and he was like yeah, and then he looked over in his Google calendar and he scrolled like a couple months and he was like, I.
Speaker 1: Got nothing Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, And I was like, all right, we'll shoot tomorrow.
Speaker 1: And that was it.
Speaker 5: And I was eight years ago.
Speaker 4: And was that the thing that you proposed at that moment? Was that essentially what you're what you're doing?
Speaker 1: Then? Yeah? It was so at the time it was buzzy.
Speaker 6: The Solve was a true crime show but also a ghost hunting show, right, and ghost hunting actually had not started, so technically.
Speaker 1: It was just and.
Speaker 6: They were doing They've been doing their thing for quite some time, and we we are aware of them, and they are aware of us.
Speaker 1: I guarantee I keep trying to get up Zach.
Speaker 7: Honestly, I keep trying to get a feud going with Zach Baggins. But like, we did a show in Vegas last year, a live screening and a Q and A, and I know he lives in Vegas, and I messaged him. I was like, hey, I really love your work, and you know, if you if you if you're around and want to pop into the show and he was like, Oh, I'm shooting. I was like, it'd be fun to get a fake feud going. He was like, oh, I'm gonna be shooting, but I would love to.
Speaker 6: And I was like, I think if people looked at a picture of you and then a picture of Zach Baggins, he's who would be the one to start a feud. I think everybody would not you because generally my role at dumb Line is to not pick feuds with people whose biceps are the size of my head.
Speaker 1: I would like to take this opportunity to do a challenge to z Actor to see what.
Speaker 7: We'll keep putting it out there. You Zach, if you want to get a feud going, you know we can. We will tabletop him or something, two of us versus one of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I offered on Twitter to go on a thing with them, and he went, you want to?
Speaker 1: I said, I never heard from him again.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm sure he probably look goes to is very busy. He probably just forgot I bet if you get back at him, you.
Speaker 5: Know, he's spending a lot of times in these houses.
Speaker 7: He's going, He's going to Iowa, problem going the Balls of Kentucky right.
Speaker 4: So let's let's get into it. So the premises, and I'm and I'm assuming because I'm not as dated as I sometimes come off, but right, you basically are are up for the possibility of these being there's something being there, and and Shane, you're pretty legitimately just not a believer in this stuff. And and so that is the premise. So in any given episode, for people that haven't seen it, you go to a haunted site, you want to just run down an on the form.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know, I mean you pretty much nailed it in a nutshell, I believe in this stuff.
Speaker 5: I'm not even up for the possibility. I legitimately do believe.
Speaker 1: Gotcha tell him about the toothpaste.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you my Joker origin story.
Speaker 6: I was on the Queen Mary when I was a teenager, and I actually didn't believe in this stuff. I was a skeptic and so I like, any excuse my French shying d bag stick kept it when I would go on the boat and I was being kind of an ass and I was like shouting out for you know, something to come after me, and nothing was happening. And then eventually throughout the night, small things started to happen like I got poked in the back. I heard like a little girl laughing. And then the sink in my room turned on by itself, and it was one of those like twist knob sinks, not like you know.
Speaker 5: An automatic sink or something like that.
Speaker 6: And then later, when I was brushing my teeth, my toothpaste was sitting on this shelf and I was sitting on top of a ziploc bag, and then the bag moved and then the toothpaste got kind of flung off the shelf. He tends to believe that it was just flung is perhaps a little bit of a hyperbole.
Speaker 7: Well, the different The thing is Ryan told this story for several years, and the story was always that the toothpaste flew off the shelf across the room.
Speaker 5: I don't know, it flew across the room.
Speaker 7: And then some long he was like, actually found the v H the cam quarder tape of the toothpaste incident, and we watched it and it's really just.
Speaker 4: Wait, you were running a cam corderaste brush your teeth to make sure you did it right.
Speaker 6: Well brushes his teeth, I mean beautiful, But I mean my dad is a dentist, So.
Speaker 1: I call us when you're ready to brush.
Speaker 6: We want to for me to do without assistance. But uh, I will say that I don't know if I said it got flung across the room it hit the wall. I did hit the wall. I just said it got flung, which if you watched the film like that just kind of goes like goes like this, and it does get flung. Flung is you know, up for interpretation. Could be flung a foot, it could be flung an inch, whatever the case. It was enough to turn him from a skeptic and into a believer.
Speaker 7: And that's it's it's really fascinating because we've been doing this now eight years and we a lot of time when we meet people will be like, well, obviously, like you guys got to start, like like Shane, you probably.
Speaker 1: Believe a little more.
Speaker 7: And Ryan, you know, uh, And we really haven't waivered, which is because we've all gone to this, We've gone to the same places, we've witnessed the same things. But Ryan is even more steeped as a believer. And I'm just I continue to just be like, it's.
Speaker 4: Not the miracle in watching you guys, and it really is fantastic because it is so very real and I understand both sides. Is you know, I was watching the Alcatraz. I think it is the Alcatraz.
Speaker 3: You know you're you're going down the death shoot or the body shoot.
Speaker 1: I think you're thinking of Waverley Hills and you know.
Speaker 3: You went first and you're skipping to my load down this thing.
Speaker 1: I have a great time.
Speaker 4: He's like he couldn't be not a care in the world, calling out. The spirit's going, yeah, come on, come come at me, come on, come at me, and just you know, it is water off a duck's back and then it goes down and you're like.
Speaker 1: Kind of me.
Speaker 3: If nothing was there.
Speaker 4: I'd go I would make it happen there somehow I would manifest something. And you go down and it's and it's like a really upsetting experience for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, two things back to back, Josh.
Speaker 1: That's the authenticity of it, the sincerity of it. So talk about the format, because the format starts out with a call, with a call usually to say from somebody who wants you to go somewhere. Correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we reach out to our audience and we say, hey, we are looking for a place to go investigate and then some people will say, oh, go to Waverley Hill Sanatorium and then we'll go, okay, does anybody have evidence from Waverley Hill Sanatorium and then they will send in evidence and then we will go and try and recreate that evidence at the site. But the kick is that I believe in Shane doesn't believe in this.
Speaker 3: Okay, So so you stayed overnight on the Queen Man.
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 6: We actually were the people who broke in that horrible room there. I think go call like Pete three four here or something like that. They didn't let people stay in there, and then they opened it up for us and we thought it was going to be like a room.
Speaker 5: Can we get in there? It's just a concrete like slab.
Speaker 6: We literally rolled down our sleeping bags next to rat hair.
Speaker 5: It was really crazy.
Speaker 1: Never Shane have gone to a place we went. This was genuinely freaked me out.
Speaker 7: There's been I think places the first time we did because we didn't always do. Now it's sort of a staple at the end of our episodes we go on our solo walks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man.
Speaker 7: The first time we did that, which was it at Penhurst Asylum, which is just this very old, disgusting asylum that I think is now demolished.
Speaker 5: Thank god, dude.
Speaker 6: One of the grossest buildings I've ever been in. Awful place, just smeared, which like literally, yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was bad news.
Speaker 7: The first time we did a solo there, I remember being like, I don't believe in ghosts, but you know, it's just staring down this empty hallway in this dilapidated building, very creepy.
Speaker 1: The first believe in rats. I believe, I believe in tenness. I believe in the brown red Cluses.
Speaker 7: So you know that that first solo I remember being like, well, I'm a little unnerved right now. And ever since then, Whool is a cucumber truly, really, I think the only other places that have like you know, there's there's just places that bum you out a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a lot of places you go to and they're.
Speaker 7: Like, oh, there was a woman here and maybe she you know, it's always like these these lower like the their tall tails women in Whiting. You go to another place and they're like, people were definitely murdered here, and you're like, okay, well.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's good. So we talk about the tech because the tech makes me laugh. If you have watched an episode, by the way, you get like three million average an episode viewers an episode.
Speaker 5: We're lucky that people actually watch our bulls.
Speaker 1: A lot of people watch. But the tech, you guys are very specific about the old text. Not we got the newest deck, but you always get the newest tech. The thing that you hold up and it can see connect the dots to a person making Yes, that's one of my favorites.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what is talk about that it's from an Xbox. Oh secret.
Speaker 6: Now here's the thing though, I actually like tools that aren't device specifically for ghost hunting.
Speaker 5: They actually have a real world purpose.
Speaker 6: Like this was a camera used for Xbox to detect motion, so but it was also used for detecting motion in the dark essentially because it uses IR dots and it forms a grid and anything that I guess like displaces that grid then forms the body like.
Speaker 1: The skeleton that a human body.
Speaker 6: So that is it's already proven to work on humans because it had to be because it was you know, pushed out by a massive thing like Xbox. So then retrofitting that to use it for ghost hunting, to point it into the dark, into the void, and maybe there's a body that pops up.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty compelling. I think they're fun.
Speaker 3: So what what.
Speaker 1: Is it that is?
Speaker 4: So you would say, well, there's some sort of spectral being out there, yeah, but what what what is the skeptic side that goes, what the hell is this thing that's looking like a human stick figure?
Speaker 1: What is the.
Speaker 4: Skeptic side that goes, what the hell is this thing that's looking like a human skin?
Speaker 7: I mean, generally it is a camera that is like looking for lines and shapes and trying to identify it like a human like shape.
Speaker 1: But sometimes it pomps up in like a voyait.
Speaker 7: Times it does, you know, So you know, I think that's the other balance of our show is that there are a lot and to your credit, like when Ryan started BuzzFeed Unsolved, he you were a big fan of a lot of ghost hunting shows, yes, but he found that like, there was never much of a balance. It was always people being like fully believing and just every bump in the.
Speaker 1: Night, they'd be like, oh my god, yea, it's.
Speaker 6: Just not compelling to watch two people in the dark sniffing each other's parts, right, it's just like, after a while, you need a little bit of like a pushing pool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I think that's you know, as the resident skeptic, I'm I'm really just there because like I'm not there to spend the whole time trying to disprove these these machines or the equipment that we use. I'm more there so that in the one instance in the future, if we ever see it goes, if anyone who watches our show ever hears me say I think that was a ghost, then we have definitive proofs.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm wondering if he ever gets to the point or you got to tell me that, Brian, Well, yeah, it's funny, it's ha' we go. This is now. I'm really I'm actually really annoyed with you, right. A couple a couple of times, Yeah, only a couple of times.
Speaker 5: Has it been caught on camera.
Speaker 6: One time, the first episode of Ghost Files ever, it actually happened. It was the first time we did this thing where you know, and BuzzFeed Unsolved. We would do this thing where it's like, okay, one of us will go into one room by ourselves and stay there for five minutes. And that was kind of like the ending of the episode. But for Ghost Files, we were like wanted to be funny, and by we, I'm this is an idea I came up with. Wouldn't it be funny if I had to get locked Indian building by myself, like by myself and uh, spend twenty minutes in there? And it's funny when I'm thinking of it on paper, and then I get to the location and I'm like, why the hell am I doing? But the conceit of the show was Shane would hide a walkie and tell me where it was hidden, and then your time and then my time would start. Once I walking back to him, like, hey, I got the walkie, Now my twenty minutes start. Shane purposely told me the wrong location. Yes you did, Yes.
Speaker 1: You did. I am a clue, you know you did.
Speaker 6: I put it on the fourth floor, and then he told me the clue, which was the bottom floor, literally the furthest possible location from where the walking actually was located.
Speaker 1: I actually on.
Speaker 6: The fourth floor, implied it could have been so, which meant I walked all the way down there. I'm literally picking up bricks just trying to find this walkie. This place is huge. It's enormous. It took me thirty minutes just to get down there. And then I after a while, like literally lifting up bricks trying to find the walky. I call him my cell phone and I'm like, hey, I can't find this walkie. I'm at the bottom of the body shoot the five hundred foot tunnel. And he's like, oh, it's actually no, it's not there's on the fourth floor and I almost crushed my phone.
Speaker 1: Episode.
Speaker 7: That's also a great moment in the episode because we rarely like break the fourth wall and show us talking to the producers or you know, our director. But Ryan called on his cell phone and he was like, where is this thing? And I was like, I don't know. I guess you'll find it. And I like hung up, and our director was like, I think we should go time. I was like, no, no, no, let him let him go down because you also were When the episode ended, we I was like, well that was great. This is you know because it was the first show we had shot for our new series, and I was like, this is gonna be a really good episode. And I was like, yeah, he's still here's the thing.
Speaker 6: I truly am terrified to do this, it's true, like it actually like this episode. When I had to do this, it was the first time I ever had to be in a building by myself, like a huge building, no less. And so when he told me the opposite location and I had to then go find it, my time had not started yet.
Speaker 5: I was livid because I was so scared.
Speaker 4: Well, can I ask some serious questions please? The toys? Yes, the spirit box, the tool, so some the tools.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry, It's okay, still happen. I'm actually more.
Speaker 4: On his side than yours, and I'm already talked about the wrong thing. The spirit box, the voice box. Yeah, so you ask a question, a thing comes back. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes if you don't.
Speaker 1: Ky run it.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the hell I and I know the whole thing that the the YouTube video about. You know, look at this sentence or look at this sentence and then listen to the thing and you'll hear exactly what you want to hear. But what is what is the or your rational explanation for why we're hearing anything coming out of that box?
Speaker 7: Well, there's the spirit box, which is like a radio scanner, and that is up to human interpret interpretation.
Speaker 1: It's just you know, it's scanning the radio.
Speaker 5: Like five channels per second.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go.
Speaker 7: Too deep and too hard onto why none of this is you don't want.
Speaker 5: To hard on a podcast.
Speaker 4: That's also the white noise thing that it's doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the other one we wait to scanner can pick up radio waves, so it could pick up radio station. It's fully here. Ricky Martin there calling it for tickets. He's still the next Rickey Martin show who says I'm dying for and you got up I'm dying Yeah, right, exactly. Okay, so that's how that works.
Speaker 7: The thought that the paranormal people believe is that ghosts are somehow manipulating what you hear.
Speaker 1: Like the energy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the But the thing is, I I like the tools, and I think for believers they're very compelling, but I also recognize that they may not be the most compelling for skeptics, which is why it's helpful to have him around.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: And also if we do see something that's more like with our own eyes, or if we see an object move, those are always my favorite pieces of it. Or if we hear a voice in there's nothing there which happens, but it has happened in the show, but especially this latest season, it has happened.
Speaker 1: There was in the upcoming season there is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's something that's crazy.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of weird things, and I think one of the appeals of our show is that, you know, we've had episodes that are absolute stinkers, like nothing happens, right, and we're like, we're like, well, we'll put that out. You know, that's an episode.
Speaker 4: So that was me and my son, my son Noah and I in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: They have the do you want to go on a ghost research thing? Oh? Yeah, there's a couple of deeply halted sites and do you remember where you went? It's a place they go fairly often.
Speaker 5: It is a private home lowering mansion.
Speaker 4: It couldn't have been a mansion. It has like an artist's grotto in the back, and there's a playground and there's a thing and apparently it was just if you believe you know what you're being told. It was a site that they've been looking at for several months and trying to take groups too. And there was only five of us and they gave us the voice thing, and they said, yeah, we're going to be here from ten at night until about three in the morning. Walk around. You know, you can try and engage with something. See if you hear anything. Please, if you see anything, you have a camp quarter, you can do it. And you know, it began very creepy. He and I started with them, I'm not going up there. I'm not going up there. And two hours and we're like, I don't care if something leaves out kills me. I'm telling you. We did five hours to the point where we were. We were like, you're lying down on bendagrams and doggy.
Speaker 1: Dare you to come? It would be the thrifetime something like that.
Speaker 5: But that all goes away when you're alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that but my son did do and oh wow, he got so fed up with being made boor that he went he's literally, I don't care if this something jumps out and smacks me across the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 4: He went up to stuff that I went, I would rather not go up there, and you know he was like, he come back and go what happened?
Speaker 1: He goes more nothing. How do you guys start that? That's a good point, you know, this is I start up as saying, this is a very lucrative feel. You know the places that do that. What's the Vedican Ryan does have standards.
Speaker 6: No, it's it's it's thank you you had a tone there, but uh no, we look at the history of it if there's an interesting story to tell, but also we look at just kind of the breadth of evidence that's been there before, because a lot of these places, You're right, there's like a lucrative reason to do it, which is why, Like I will say that one of the things that I pride ourselves on is that we do an honest show. And like Shane said, there are plenty of episodes where nothing happens, and those are usually the episodes when we goove off the most because like we are lucky enough because they're bored. I think people tune into the show luckily to hear the history and also kind of watch us goof around and then if something happens, great. You know, the idea that something could happen is enough. They're not there to get guarantee parents.
Speaker 4: Entertaining information and you've never had the thing that that you know, Zach and those guys get where they go. Man, oh, my god, no, I need a moment here because you know, it's like they're getting assessed.
Speaker 7: Or I want to say it a handful of locations though either you are like, you know, maybe one of our producers or directors will.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's happened a handful of.
Speaker 7: Times where someone will just be like, I don't I kind of feel weird here.
Speaker 1: I'm getting like a weird said, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know if I could do it, And it's part of it is that I have just enough maybe in me. But the other part is if you I'm very suggestible, So if you say to me, this is a thing that happened here, it could have up and again, goverything. It's dark, you're not seeing anything, so now go down there and just hang out and ringo, and I would be my imagination would start cocting things. I'm sure that would. Yeah, I'm freaking myself out. Just going into the room doesn't have to do anything.
Speaker 1: But the suggestion of it is, like I said, when they say it's an architectural tour, people go in and look around. When they tell the second group a person died here in the thing, five out of seven all of a sudden see stuff.
Speaker 4: So when you go to see a horror film, or or if you ever did something like Halloween Haunted Nights.
Speaker 1: Started the job out. Yeah, I love them, do you do? You? Are you a good audience for that stuff? I have a great time with that stuff.
Speaker 4: But I mean you actually got oh you know, I'm really.
Speaker 7: In like horror mazes. I similar to Ryan. I just like appreciate the artistry because those don't scare me either. It's only actual like haunted houses that you're a friend.
Speaker 1: Who got stabbed. Yeah, wait what at.
Speaker 3: A small haunted house Seaside Heights haunted house?
Speaker 1: You know, I give you. And he was very good at Oh, he was one of the scary.
Speaker 4: Actually he was working for the place and he's you know. His bit was it was what this is how old? It was the scares where you'd walk through and you'd step on those old supermarket mats that used to open the door for you. Hear, if you stepped on it, something would light up, right, So he would wait, somebody would step on it would light up and he'd be lying still like a zombie, a dead zombie in a tableau of something.
Speaker 1: And his thing was he could lie.
Speaker 4: So still that everybody would go oh okay, and they'd be over it, and they'd start to walk away, and that's when he would jump at them.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So, from down the hall, I'm hearing this happen. I'm hearing to Now. I grew up from Jersey, so I'm allowed to. I'm allowed to pick on my Jersey friends. But I'm hearing like, I think that's real Joey. I think that's a real guy. He's a mannequin. Renee, it's the mannequin. I don't think it's not Jowey. I think that's the real guy. And the next thing I know, I'm hearing screaming and my friend is chasing these two guys with the baseball bat. The guy to prove it was a manne and took out his pen knife and stabbed him in a god So yeah, still, well, I just know Peter and I already and standing by. Whenever you need us to go into the haunted spaces where you were there, we we might take you up on that I've ever taken, like a celebrity or a no.
Speaker 6: We're thinking of starting up something. We will take some folks.
Speaker 1: If you want to go dyn I think I'll go. I think it would be great.
Speaker 4: I love being scared and I'm I'm like, I'm sure the cross section to both of you where I go, I'd love. I stayed with my family at a house while I was doing a job that we think was I mean, there was enough stuff that I went, well, I didn't see the big thing that sent us.
Speaker 1: Out of the house happened to me, But you didn't have the post. I was working for.
Speaker 4: Us, but I saw we we experienced a couple of little things where I went, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: That could be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes, and so I would love. I'd love to go here we go. Okay, look at that, Shane, thank you?
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. What's what's coming up? Anything new that they should be ready for. We've got our new season of Ghost Finals coming up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, starting uh that's starting over in uh well, we haven't announced it, but it's in the fall.
Speaker 1: Gonna be in the fall.
Speaker 6: And then we also have a new series coming out called Weird Wonderful World, where we basically travel around really goofy spots in l A. It's kind of like California Gold, which is why we have these silly mustaches on you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming in. Thank you, thanks for having.
Speaker 4: So that's that they're like younger and better looking versions of us.
Speaker 1: Everybody is like young girl be damn, we should have done a ghost show Schmark. Yeah, I know, damn, I know. Is it too late? Yeah? Yeah, David yea the ghost. Do you get scared from ghosts? Do you believe in ghosts? Not even a little bit?
Speaker 3: Not really.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: So I'm the only one. Yeah, I'm the only one that gets at a little nervous.
Speaker 1: Huh. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I've done the ghost tours and they're fun and certainly there's a certain history, you know, assuming that they're not telling you bunk as far as who was living there or getting killed and that type of thing.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, yeah, that's the way. So what do you got?
Speaker 8: Well, some of the things that we all love about ghosts, of course, are ghost movies. And I just thought i'd do a quickie interest since there was nothing.
Speaker 1: To debunk about the episode hooie.
Speaker 8: But the top five ghost movies of all time were surprising to me, So here we go. Number five is the annim Bell creation, not even the original one.
Speaker 1: It was sequel number four.
Speaker 3: The Annabelle that I've never heard of.
Speaker 1: That well there was. It was a movie.
Speaker 8: It was Annabelle, it was you know, Ghosts and Girls.
Speaker 1: I think it wasn't I'm not how long this is?
Speaker 8: The Creation one was twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: What not even on my no, never heard that said it's like Star Wars number creation. Okay, oh yeah, it made three hundred millions, So there you go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, number four the conjuring have you heard series?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Four, and number three is the conjuring to of course, this is the big thing.
Speaker 1: Number two.
Speaker 8: Of course everyone's favorite, The Exorcist.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is.
Speaker 8: And you and you picked the number one the highest gross thing ghost, ghost movie, ghost, ghostbusters, ghost no ghost you think ghosts?
Speaker 1: You think no?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 4: Hold on, ghost movie, ghost host movie?
Speaker 3: Uh is poulter Geist? Does that count.
Speaker 1: That? Well, yeah, that would be a ghost movie. Yeah, this one is.
Speaker 8: You do get to see dead people in it.
Speaker 1: I see I see the one which says, oh six cents six.
Speaker 8: How big is that was in nineteen ninety nine, and that's six hundred and seventy two one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that it was a great movie.
Speaker 4: It was a great movie. It is, and you know some of the most just to finish up on our topic. Some of the most haunted supposed places in America as our theaters.
Speaker 1: There have been more, there have been.
Speaker 4: Almost every Broadway theater is reported to have at least one ghost, and that is why we have the tradition of the ghost light. At the end of every performance or when a show is closed. When a theater is dark and it doesn't have a show in it, there is one light stand with one light bulb that is on until the next people come in to start the next thing, or until the next day's performance. And it's called the ghost light, and it was to honor they still. You bet you assume that there are spirits in this theater, that you know that this is a hallowed place in some ways, and that there are spirits here, and you leave the light on so that those spirits never feel that you've abandoned them, and that you'll be back to performance. It's it's kind of wonderful and I but it's I tell you. If you ever you know you're alone and you walk into an empty Broadway theater and it's just the ghost on.
Speaker 1: The stage, you go, wow, they all have it all do that?
Speaker 4: You bet you are probably every theater I've ever working across the country, they leave a ghost light.
Speaker 2: No no, really, that's another episode of Really No Really comes to a closing. Now you're wondering what are some of the allegedly most haunted places in America? Well, that ghost tour in just a moment. But first let's thank our guests, the Google guys, Ryan Bergara and Shane Meday. Their website is watchour Entertainment dot com on YouTube, their show is ghost Files on x They are at we Are Watcher and on Instagram. You can find them at Ryan Bergara and at Shanemday. Find all pertinent links in our show notes, our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok YouTube, and threads at Really No Really Podcasts, And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online at reallynoreally dot com. If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday, So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And Now, what are some of the most haunted places in America?
Speaker 1: You ask?
Speaker 2: Well, According to travelsite condon Nast, here's a few to check out. The Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, is an operating hotel haunted by at least eight ghosts, ranging from a five year old girl to a bearded man wearing Victorian clothing and rocking it.
Speaker 1: The Dock Street Theater.
Speaker 2: In Charleston, South Carolina, one of the oldest theaters in America. The ghost here is Neddie Dickerson, who supposedly was struck by lightning while standing on the balcony of the hotel. Her shadow is seen along the second floor of the theater, dressed in a red gown, also walking about his Junius Brutus Booth, a renowned nineteenth century actor and the father of Lincoln assassin.
Speaker 1: John Wilkes Booth.
Speaker 2: And lastly, the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California, home of the manufacturer of the Winchester rifle after he and his child mysteriously died. His widow was informed by a medium that the family was killed by the ghosts of gunshot victims. To confuse and evade the vengeful spirits, she commissioned the dwelling we see today. The bizarre house includes staircases that lead directly into the ceiling, doors that open onto brick walls, and windows that can take you to secret passages. So happy travels, fearless ghost hunters, and let us know if you see anything. Really NA Really is production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment.