Speaker 1: Also media. Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, a podcast about the worst people in all of history and with us today, someone who, as far as I am aware, is not one of the worst people in all of history. Ed Helm's, Ed, have you ever committed a crime?
Speaker 2: Lots?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well, okay, well I expected the opposite answer.
Speaker 2: I've only murdered jerks. Yeah, you know, you're fine.
Speaker 1: I'm on the right side of I still have like if you're just killing bad people, like, who's got a problem with that? Right? Yeah? Just jerks. It's like we were It's like we were talking about early. You can't have a black and white like murders always bad because like what if somebody's a jerk? Just wondering? Can I send you a list of names for note no apparent reason they're jerks? Yeah? Okay, okay, this is great info to have it. Welcome back to the show, Ed Helms. I mean again, I don't feel like you necessarily need introduction, but I will remind everyone about your excellent podcast SNAFU and you just had season two drop talking about the wonderful activist burglary of an FBI building in nineteen seventy one that led to some of the most important revelations of the burgeoning security state in history. So yeah, great show. People should check it out. Ed, are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready here more. As you described season two of SNAFU, I couldn't help thinking about how how well it connects to our subject matter.
Speaker 1: Yep, untrammeled authority.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Jagar Hoover basically had some degree of unchecked authority within Yeah. Oh yeah, and he was doing really awful stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, he's a great example because he was this kind of ceo god king of the security state for decades and it didn't end well or middle well or start well come back.
Speaker 2: Comes back to that. I think at the beginning of the last episode, I was like, how do you pick the guy right? Right? The guy? How can you be sure you got the right guy.
Speaker 1: It's also this thing of like I think with Hoover, you really did see a man who he wasn't the same guy at the start of his time running the FBI as he was at the end, you know, because number when he aged, our brains change as we age, we in many cases get worse at some things, right, And like he also the period of time that he had with power, he got used to doing increasingly extreme things with it, you know, like there was this constant escalation of his authoritary impulses, like the job was bad for him, like it was bad for j Edgar Hoover, and it was it made him a worse person. And I think that kind of fundamentally, guys who advocate for these systems never take that into account, in part because I just don't think they believe it the way that I think most normal people do. Like we you don't. You don't have to be like on the left or a libertarian or an anarchist to be like, well, yeah, if you give people access to all of the power in the world, they generally do horrible things with it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah I would anyway, huh. I would. Yeah. I would do awful, nightmarish things. I do really fun things, but people might get hurt. I would have a good time, but not everyone would have a good time. I think maybe that's just how these guys think about it, right, I'm going to be the one having a good time. So and again, that's part of why we're doing these episodes, because Curtis Yarvin could potently be on the brink of having a very good time, and I really want to emphasize what a bad idea that would be. So I have referred to Yarvin as a monarchist a few times in these episodes, and I will again. I do think it's important to note he would disagree with me using that title because he thinks that calling someone a monarchist brings to mind the constitutional monarchies that largely failed in the early twentieth century, and he blames that failure on compromises in absolute power. Now, we talked last episode about Yarvin's core beliefs democracy isn't really real, and if it was real, it wouldn't be a good idea. The cathedral who really runs things are the enemy, and some sort of aristocracy in an absolute CEO monarch paired with the freedom to exit if you don't like the particular flavor of oppression in your home is the ideal state of governance. As a tech guy, though Yarvin doesn't like to couch his yearning for a king, which is what this is, right, he's a monarchist. He's not this the same kind of monarchists that, for example, like guys like JR. R. Tolkien were, But he's very much a monarchist, and he doesn't like to he doesn't like to seem like the regular people who long for the days of having a king. Right, He's got to be like a little bit smarter about it, right, And this is where kind of the big tech line of things comes in and his argument. He starts making this, you know, in the early period of like the web two point zero tech boom, you get smartphones, you get like apps like Twitter and YouTube and Facebook, and there's this period of time, I know it feels very distant to us, but where people thought this was going to enhance democracy around the globe, right, that all of these connecting technologies were going to be a massive boon for like liberatory movements across the planet. That's not what happened. And Jarvin very early on isn't just saying that's not what's going to happen. He's saying that's not what should happen. Right, Big tech shouldn't enable democracy around the world. It should take control in a very literal sense. And he becomes an advocate of a kind of political philosophy he called neo cameralism, which Francis Sang described in an excellent essay as quote, arguing that the state should be run like a business ie with a CEO at its head and no democratic mechanisms. Jarvin has always taken pains to express in public his belief that this change can be done peacefully, and you know, we're not. He thinks we're not already living, We're already not living in a democracy, so there's no reason this has to be painful. But a study of his writing over the years makes it clear that not only is he open to violence, but an enthusiastic about it. And this brings me to one of the uglier parts of our story. In twenty eleven, a Nazi named Anders Brevik shot up a summer camp hosted by the Workers Youth League, a left wing political organization in Norway. Brewick, who considers himself a member of the Knights Templar, acting to defend his faith and race from evil communists, shot and killed or bombed seventy seven people. Jarvin wrote about this as well, arguing that terrorism was a legitimate tactic and that Nazi terror had been legitimate because it worked for the baffler. Corey Payne summarizes quote Breviks killing spree, which targeted young Norwegian leftists was illegitimate because it was insufficient to free Norway from euro Communism. After all, he only killed seventy seven people. We can note the only thing he didn't screw up. At least he shot Communists, not Muslims. He gored the Matador and not the cape. Jarvin wrote on July twenty third, twenty eleven, one day after the terror in Oslo. So that is I mean, we've gotten now from a guy who is just sort of like preaching his idiosyncratic political system to a guy who was being like he didn't kill enough kids for it to matter, right, Like this is you know, it's important not to lean into the fact that like this is not just a guy whose politics would lead to bad directions. This is a pretty vile person. Where is he writing this on his blog Unqualified Reservus, which is just publicly available blog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not, He's not like in the dark recesses of four chan.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no. This is a publicly available blog. Now it's not. It's not. It's very popular with a certain subset of the world, and he's writing under a pseudonym, so people don't know his real name. In twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Right now, the pseudonym could mean that there's some measure of trolling going on, but not. But but this is there's no, there's no, there's no kind of like winky irony. I mean, this is some of the most if it's remotely humorous at an attempt, it is some of the most like wretched, awful and heart wrenching. It failed at humor. But but if again, like there's no version in which as it's using a pseudonym, he's being like, I can't even.
Speaker 1: Think of no, no, this is this is very much not him fucking around like this is because I mean you can tell for a degree, like the like talking about grinding up people for biodiesel. I've seen some articles where people mistake that for a serious position if you read it in context, he's clearly like joking, right, Like it's thrown out as a joke. This essay is him talking about like why the Brevic attack was bad, and it's bad not because he killed all those people, but because it's not big enough to destroy the left, right, Like, that's that's very much the take that he has on this, which is not really he's not being satirical, he's not not that you know, it would be good to be satirical about this, but that's not really what he's doing. And this is this kind of stuff. Like part of why people don't catch on to this more often about Jarvin when they write about him, for like mainstream news sources, is that he writes so much like to catch this stuff, like I wouldn't have caught all of this stuff if I had just been I wouldn't have had time to read all of his archive. Thankfully, guys like Corey Pine did a lot of that work, and so people have been collecting kind of like the worst hits of Curtis Yarfin for a while now, but it's not immediately easy for people to do, and it gets missed by the people who aren't really like big fans of his a lot of the time, right, because there's just so much there. And he writes he's got kind of log area, right, diarrhea of the mouth a bit, he's very worthy. So around the same time as he's writing his articles about the Yetoya shooting, Jarvin is also pushing an acronym out in his writing to the people who are like built this kind of like political circle around him, which is kind of liberally sprinkled with Peter Thiel dollars. And the acronym that he starts pushing is rage, which means retire all government employees. And this is a term that he's come to for this policy plan that he starts pushing among the young conservatives following him, that we need to get a president who is our kind of guy in office and have him forcibly retire the entire professional cast of the government and replace them with are people with people who think, and that's how we.
Speaker 2: Shift twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, exactly, that is and this is something he is pushing in the early aughts, right, like yes, And to be honest, a lot of Project twenty twenty five is people cribbing from Yarvin, and it's because it's people who were influenced by him or influenced by people who are influenced by him, right. But a lot of this intellectually starts with him. You know, obviously he's not the only guy thinking about stuff like this, but he's putting it out in a form that is like a cohesive ideology. So in the early years, and we're talking kind of the mid aughts around like twenty eleven up through twenty fourteen. His adherents are mostly other tech industry creatures, and one of these people is someone named Justine Tunney. Justine started out as someone who was like more progressive. She was an occupy activist back during you know occupy, and she gets hired as a Google engineer. In March of twenty fourteen, Esteem published a petition on the White House website demanding a national referendum on three points. Number one, retire all government employees, number two, transfer administrative authority to the tech industry, and number three appoint Google CEO Eric Schmidt's CEO of America. Now, this is a very silly idea for one thing who's looking at Google today thinks Eric Schmidt should run the country like But in defense of this, Tunney wrote, It's time for the US regime to politely take its exit from history and do what's best for America. The tech industry can offer us good governance, prison and prevent further American decline. Now part of why I think Tunny is an interesting case study and like followers of Moldbug, because she tells people on Twitter who are questioning her about this petition she's put up that they need to read mensious. Moldbug Tunny is interesting because she doesn't come out of the traditional right. She's a transgender woman who had built herself as an anarchist earlier in her ideological life, prior to finding Mouldbugs writing, and so this arc she takes from an economic justice advocate to tech industry monarchist shows how seductive a lot of intelligent people found Yarvin. And the fact that people like Tounny, who don't come out of where you would expect someone to wind up believing these far right ideas get enraptured by Jarvin's writing is part of why he starts to get this reputation for almost being this kind of like mental sorcerer, someone whose work has this almost like lovecrafty and pull in twisting people's beliefs and ideals. And that's very much the reputation that he starts to pick up in like the aughts. There's a philosopher, kind of a reactionary philosopher named Nick Land who's a fan of Jarvin's writing, who gives it the nickname the Dark Enlightenment, right, that's the term that he comes up with to refer to these kind of neo reactionary, anti democratic, monarchist policies. And it's written that way because supposedly, once you read Jarvin's arguments for why democracy can't work and like this sort of authoritarian system is better, it's like this through the looking glass breaking moment. I've taken the red pill, and I can never go back right.
Speaker 2: Emally endowing this sky and these writings with a lot of oh yes, like magical power in a very absurd way it is, and it takes them out of the realm of like intellectual exploration and dialogue and idea sharing it into this like truly like conspiratorial, like come into the fold, put on your dark cloak and join the dark enlightenment.
Speaker 1: And that's what Moldbug wants. Right. That's good branding for you if you're this guy, that's certainly how you want to be seen. Okay, I think that's not really accurate to what's happening to Tony or to what's happening to most of the people following them, in part because I have a degree of, like a professional understanding from my former career writing and analyzing terrorist groups of how people get radicalized, right, and a thing that gets missed a lot, and scholar Scott Atron was kind of the guy who I started reading who wrote about this a lot. But about how people get radicalized, it always happens nearly always in communities, right, even if it's not a physical community, if it's online. People don't generally get brought into radical belief systems or extremist politics on their own. They get brought in in part because there's circle of friends that people they respect and think are cool get drawn into it, right. And I think that's what's happening to Tunny, And I think that's a lot of the power that Mouldbugs writing has is that he is telling the Silicon Valley set of people who got a lot of money very quickly when they were young and got kind of lost their minds and their belief about their own genius. He's telling them what they want to hear, that they should run things. They start sharing his stuff with each other, they start talking like him because of the way he writes, and it becomes like the cool thing within a certain set in Silicon Valley to be into Moldbug, right, And that's a lot of the appeal, right. It's not that his writing has some sort of like magical mindwarping effect. It's that this community of people that a lot of folks, especially like newer folks coming into the tech who want to be you know, get founder money, who want to be part of this like in crowd, they all like it's the cool thing to be talking about to believe in. Right, Like that's I think where a lot of the power that he initially has comes from. And I think that's always the case. If you want to look at like why a lot of people joined ISIS a lot of these young communities, it's because Isis was cool, right to a lot of these young people, the way that they talk, the slang they use, the media they put out. Communities of people got radicalized in part because it was attractive in that way to them. Right, It's not like a mind virus. It's kind of the same way fads and trends always work. Right, This is the way that like any fad takes hold. You know, it's just a much darker example of that. But that is how radicalization tends to occur. And I think that's what's happening with moldbugs writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting that the you're saying Tonny Tunny is her name, right, Yes, Justine Tunny in Tunny was sort of brought in even just talking sort of more generally about radicalization that it's often the product of a community. What about the what about the Jarvins, Like do you think that that was Are they the outlier the kind of like the well no special beacons of or or did he come from that youth community that you know, from his youth.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great question. But I do think if you look at kind of his background, you see the community he was radicalized in. Right when he starts working for the tech industry, When when he's you know, in the internet in the mid nineties, he starts talking to these guys who are these big Austrian school advocates, who are you know he admires. These are generally men who are a bit older than him, who are more accomplished in their careers, and they're telling him, Oh, you should read you know, hansrmon Hop, you should read Ludwig von mess you should read Thomas Carlyle, you should read Murray Rothbard, right, And he reads these guys and he takes their thinking seriously, in part because people he respects and thinks are cool are telling him to write. So I do think it's a version of the same process, right, in part, because that's just how human beings adopt ideas, right, Like it's the if you're you know, I know people who are like evangelical Christians, right, And there's a couple of different attitudes towards how you should evangelize, But the one that people I think are generally of good will have is that like, well, if you're a really good and admirable person, people will will find will be interested in like what you believe. And that's the best way to prostlytize, right by just actually like being kind of rad And that's how I've found, Like, when I got into radical politics, it was because I ran into a bunch of like anarchists who were on a regular basis going out and feeding homeless people, and I thought that was dope, and that got me interested in what other things do these people believe because I thought they were cool? Right, Like, that is how I think it's just like mostly how people work. Right. But it's in the interest of a guy like Jarvin to make it feel like his writing has this like love crafty and power to enrapture and warp minds anyway, cool people and all the world's all just high school right, Like, oh so tunny is you know a good example of these kind of early adherents to Moldbug, who are mostly young, disaffected engineers, software engineers, tech industry people. And when Yarvin kind of part of where this sort of dark Enlightenment turn takes off is that in around twenty thirteen twenty fourteen, when mainstream news starts writing about him, the most attractive angle to take with this guy is not, here is a trend in a certain subset of like Silicon Valley tech people. Let's look at the reasons why this trend might be popular. It's this dark enlightenment guy whose work has this like dangerous rapture. Like the media helps create the myth of Yarvin, and he manipulates it effectively, And I think this is part of why you know, this reinforces his beliefs to an extent about like how bad the cathedral is these like media organizations that like, wow, it's so easy for me to manipulate them. Right, So yeah, anyway, that's kind of what's happening in the late aughts with this guy. So one of the people who is going to come to be sort of a follower of him in this kind of later period after he starts to achieve more prominence is JD. Vance. And it's because moldbugs writing is really appealing to these people who got a lot of money and power very quickly, often because they were either in like venture capital, because they were in you know, the tech industry or something, and so they have all this wealth, but they don't come out of like they don't come out of academia. They don't have any sort of like place in the traditional like media hierarchy that demands respect. Right, you may have a lot of money, but like, why should I care what some software engineer about Google says about politics or whatever? Right, why should I care about what some like finance dude who was really good at like gambling on the housing market has to say about politics just because you have a bunch of money. And that's where Vance comes out of. You know, he's one of these guys who's got like a background in private equity, and he's one of these guys who is kind of like angry that that doesn't automatically afford him the respect of like what he considers to be an elite in society. Another one of the proponents of Jarvin's thinking about particularly this retire all government employees thing, is Blake Masters, who's a twice failed Arizona congressional candidate and another Peter Teel protege right. In an interview with Vanity Fair before the first of his failed campaigns, Masters was act asked how he would drain the swamp in practice if he was like brought into Congress, and he responded, one of my friends has this acronym he calls rage retire all government employees. And he was referring to Yarvin. He and Yarvin are friends, just like Vance and Yarvin, you know, go to a lot of the same parties and whatnot. Like these are all guys who are not just close ideologically, but like are in the same physical spaces a lot of the time talking with each other.
Speaker 2: That's an important, yeah, aspect to this. That's that's new. So that this just a a kind of like, Hey, I read your stuff and or I read this guy's stuff, and I think it's compelling and I'd like to crib some ideas from this. It's more it's also that they're hanging out. Yes, it's moving, and that really starts. We'll talk about this in a little bit, But once Jarvin gets kind of docked, right, so people in twenty fourteen, I think it is tech Crunch publishes what his actual name is and instead of like there's this period of time where there's some backlash against him, but mostly what it does is kind of elevate him.
Speaker 1: Like he does it. He's not hiding behind a pseudonym anymore, but now he's free to be a public figure in more of a way. And so he starts publicly showing up at these parties and events where guys like jd Vance and Blake Masters are in attendance, where like people who are making inroads into the actual like political strata of the right are in attendance. And that's a thing that's increasing happening, like once we kind of hit the Trump era, and yeah, it's it's kind of important. The best example of the degree to which Jarvin's thoughts and policies have entered mainstream politics is rage. Is this idea that we need to bring in a guy who's going to fire everyone in the government and replace it with our people. This is the kind of thing that, like, not only is this something that guys like Masters and Dvans are talking about. Trump tried to do this already in twenty twenty at the end of his term. He sought to reclassify thousands and thousands of federal employees in order to strip them of job protections and make them at well employees that he could fire. This was reversed under Biden, but it is the kind of thing that Trump could bring back and plans to bring back if he wins again, because he has promised that if he takes office again in twenty twenty five, one of the first things he's going to do is fire thousands of quote unquote crooked government employees. Trump has repeated disavowed Project twenty twenty five because it's become kind of a toxic thing politically for him, But he has promised that when he takes off as he's going to like, you know, clean house within the federal government and put his own people in there. And this is very in line with what Heritage Foundation president Kevin Roberts told The New York Times he hoped a second Trump term would bring quote people will lose their jobs, hopefully their lives are able to flourish. In spite of that, buildings will be shut down. Hopefully they can be repurposed for private industry. And that's Kevin Roberts is not a guy who's ever said Curtis Yarvin's name that I can find. But that's Menschus moldbug, right, Like, that's exactly what he has been talking about for years.
Speaker 2: Would you draw a direct line from Minshus to these positions? I mean, and I know absolutely aim, But are you do you feel very very confident that moldbug is the source of these ideas or was this sort of a general sentiment that Minsches was reflecting among like a certain set.
Speaker 1: I think it's best to think about it like a garden, right, And what Minschus did was kind of spread fertilizer over that garden. That made a climate where a lot of these ideas, many of which do come kind of directly from his writing, but he also helped kind of set the ideological climate on the far right. And as the far right took over kind of the center right Republican Party, it brought a lot of these mold buggy and ideas with it, which is part of why guys like Peter Teel are anti democratic activists and use a lot of their money to that end, have funded yarbin Is. They see him as useful for that sort of thing, right, And a lot of these guys who have gone on to work at the Heritage Foundation, you know, in the early two thousands, in two thousand and eight, nine, ten eleven, where like kids in high school and college passing around minshus Moldbug tracts, right, Like, that's kind of how this has worked. So I would see him as he really he prepared an environment for these kind of politics to grow. And I think there is a very direct line between him and a lot of what you see with Project twenty twenty five, a lot of the stuff. Even though Trump certainly has never read one of these guys articles, he's surrounded by people who are telling him and who have ideas about how absolute power can be attained that are based on things Moldbug is written. You know, I think that that's absolutely something I'm confident arguing and confident part because there's so many financial ties and direct personal ties between him and people around Trump, you know, So I know that's dark. So let's just go to ads and try not to think about it for a second, think about these products for a minute, and we're back. So one of the things I find interesting about Jarvin is there's this degree of insecurity to some of his writing where he definitely is a monarchist, and he's definitely someone who feels a sense of nostalgia to some of these old absolute monarchies. But he doesn't want to get lumped in with the guys who are like unronically stands of the czar or whatever and think that, like, oh, if only we could bring the Romanovs back to power in Russia, everything would be better. Jarvin doesn't isn't a monarchist for shallow reasons, right. He doesn't want to be seen as someone who advocates this because he's nostalgic. He wants to be seen as someone who has run the numbers and concluded that there's no alternative to this system. And so whenever he makes his arguments for why things should be this way, he liberally sprinkles them with citations. Now, his citations are a bunch of old reactionaries who had like argued against kings and emperors giving up any power back in like the eighteen fifties and the like. But he has this kind of belief that any sort of quote from an old, dead guy is a primary source. That is something like people should take more seriously when they're like trying to make their minds up about how the world works. He has this kind of he's an autodide act and that he's someone who is self taught through reading a bunch of books about the things he likes. And he's convinced that this is sort of like a more ideologically rigorous thing than what people do in academia, right, and kind of the key thing in academia is that if you have ideas or theories, or if you're making arguments, you have to expose them to other people and debate and have them like torn down. And you know, that's like a key part of the way the academic process works. He's only ever existed inside his own head, and so you get stuff like this two thousand and eight blog post titled an open Letter to open Minded Progressives, where he writes this about primary sources. The neat thing about primary source is is that often it only takes one to prove your point. If you find the theory of relativity ancient Greek documents, and you know the documents are authentic. You know that the ancient Greeks discovered relativity. How why it doesn't matter your understanding of ancient Greeks needs to include Greek relativity. Now that's a non sequitur, because, like, if you were to find an ancient Greek wrote write about the theory of relativity, that alone wouldn't necessarily alter your understanding of ancient Greece, because there's a lot of other questions, like did anyone else come across this writing at the time, was this idea disseminated, was it adopted on any kind of scale into the dominant theoretical models of the time, or was it one cranks weird belief that he laid out in an old letter to a friend. Right, the fact that you might find something that sounds like an argument for about relativity in an ancient Greek document doesn't necessarily change your understanding of ancient Greece in a meaningful way. Right. The fact that you could cite that primary source wouldn't be enough to say the ancient Greeks had an understanding of relativity, because you don't know that it wasn't just one guy who was viewed widely as a crank, right, and a good example of this kind of thing from real world history, because he's just making up fake history there. Because again there's not really a good argument.
Speaker 2: To be made.
Speaker 1: But I will make an interesting argument, and it's about something called the Alio file, which was an ancient steam engine that was first described by Hero of Alexandria in the first century AD. It was actually technically a steam turbine, but it was a precursor to a steam engine that existed in ancient Rome. Right Now, that's a cool bit of history. But does that mean that the Romans had steam engines and the ability to make trains? No, because this was only ever used as like a party trick, Like a couple of prototypes were made and they were like made to impress people at like gatherings for rich people. No one ever did anything with it. So the fact that technically there was the knowledge to make a steam engine in ancient Rome doesn't change your understanding of ancient Rome because they still didn't have steam power.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, it's like somebody's showing off their Aston Martin like, right, not everybody had Aston Martin's or has asked, Yeah, some rich guy is like check it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then you were to say that, like, well, that this meant that the Aston Martin was the car of the twenty first century. Like no, like like like a couple hundred people had them or whatever, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I would say, I mean, I would say that he has a point that depending on the assertion by a primary source, sure it can have like pretty powerful value in an historical context.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, But you also you have to take into account. I think part of it is that he's he's talking about this in like internet debate terms, where like someone makes an argument and you throw in a quote from a source and like it's probably done because most people don't have the time or the breadth of knowledge to really argue these things in detail, as opposed to like in academia. Part of what you would be trying to do is like not just here's what one source said about this.
Speaker 2: But wanted to be irrefutable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's the balance of sources. Like we can do a survey of all of these different people from the time writing about this moment, and we found you're gonna find conflict, right, because you know, if you have like ten people who are all present at the same shooting or car crash or whatever. You're gonna get ten slightly different accounts, right, those are all primary sources. A primary source does not mean something is right. It just means it's from someone who was there, you know. But that's not how Mouldbug thinks about it, because he very much has this. He thinks about these these old dead reactionary writers the way he wants to be thought about, right, which is as someone who is like more or less ideologically unimpeachable, right, because they're his favorite writers. And so I think it behooves us to talk about probably his favorite of these old dead reactionaries, because it tells us a lot about some of the things that Yarvin believes. And this is who we've talked. We talked about this guy in part one, Thomas Carlyle. Now Carlyle is writing in the mid eighteen hundreds. He's a Scottish writer who you know. One of the things he wrote about, he was an early writer, kind of talking about the plight of the working class under industrialization. So there's a degree of what he was writing about that I think was fairly valid. But he was also a massive bigot and for kind of an overview of that, I found a write up by the Glasgow Museum of Slavery aptly titled Thomas Carlyle Historian Writer Racist, that describes an essay Carlyle wrote. Quote. Carlyle complained that emancipated black people in the West Indies were lazy, working little bit, eating well, benefiting from the favorable climate and abundance of tropical fruit, while sugarcane on British plantations rotted due to lack of labor. In the context of recession and unemployment back in Britain and the potato famines in Ireland, this was an emode of accusation. It was also blatantly untrue, according to figures produced by the Anti Slavery Society in eighteen forty seven to forty t nine, which showed that sugar production had in fact gone up. However, the emancipation of slaves in the British Empire in eighteen thirty three had created a labor problem that had cut into profit margins, exacerbated in eighteen forty six when the Sugar Duties to Act ended subsidies for British plantation owners. And this is the kind of thing. Because the Glasgow Museum of Slavery is trying to view things from an academic and an accurate standpoint, they're able to look at what Carlyle said, and what he said that was like demonstrably not just racists, but like we can argue completely factually wrong about like the economics of the system that he was arguing in favor of. Moldbug can't really engage in a lot of these criticisms of Carlyle because the whole reason Carlyle was wrong was that plantation owners, this natural aristocracy, were lazy, corrupt and incompetent, and that flies in the face of Jarvin's belief system. So instead, when Curtis Jarvin writes an essay on Thomas Carlyle, he writes that is quote a natural human relationship like that of patron and client and enthusias. That Carlyle is the one writer in English whose name can be uttered with Shakespeare's. Like this guy who's big claim to fame is his essay on why slavery is good and natural, is just as as brilliant a thinker as William Shakespeare. Like again, one an idea of kind of how vile.
Speaker 2: This guy is how well was it written?
Speaker 1: I mean it's okay, yeah, it's it's it's not it's no, no, it's it's definitely non Niamic pentemy. It's not even in dactyla texameter. You know, Like, come on, can we back up for one second? Was there anything yeah said in this open letter to open minded progressives that was that would change a progressive's mind?
Speaker 2: Or like what was the gist? What was the logline of that? Because you got into a quote, but I I was just fascinated by this open letter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's largely a series of art. It's really largely trying to convince people that these sort of ideas of democracy in human progress that are kind of inherent to the progressive tradition. Right of this like gradual march of progress in terms of like pushing for for more rights and more justice in society is kind of fundamentally fallacious and flawed, Right that, like none of this actually works, right, that it only it only creates new tyrannies. That's his argument. It's this whole you advocating for your own rights is really you restricting my rights? You know, Like that's that's kind of the gist. Of the argument that he's making there. Wow, that's in fourteen chapters. Everything he says takes too long.
Speaker 2: Also, slavery is cool, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, slave, I mean, slavery is a natural relationship, right based because again he believes that, like, it can't just be that one group of people were at one time able to exert more of violence than another group of people and so they took them into their possession, right, because that makes it sound awful. It's got to be that, like, no, this group of people are naturally inclined to rule in this other group are naturally inclined.
Speaker 2: To be ruled, you serve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, when it comes to talking about Jarvin as this sort of dark Enlightenment figure, this guy who's able to enrapture people's minds with this almost magic quality of his pros, I want to kind of I think we've talked a little bit about why I don't think that's accurate to how his work was appealing to people. But I want to really puncture that myth by pointing out one of the examples where he was very much in line with kind of like the gutter of the right wing and not at all like this sort of more intellectual side that he tries to present himself as, sometimes in articles like that open letter to Progressives. In two thousand and eight, he published a blog post titled did Barack Obama go to Colombia? And this is written by Jarvin as a serious and investigation into whether or not Barack Obama had faked his attendance at Columbia College. And the evidence Yarvin had that Obama had faked his attendants was that several other Columbia grads from the same year said they didn't know him. Right, this was a huge thing on like the right at this time. You would get like Trump and stuff, you know, retweeting this way back in the day that like, well, a bunch of guys who went to Colombia didn't know Barack Obama. Like this man came out of nowhere. He must have faked his attendance at this college. And here's what Jarvin writes about it, so you can get a hint at his like sparkling prose. So let me ask anyone who cares to comment below, how exactly do we the American people, lord help us know that Barack Obama attended Columbia, or more precisely, why should we assume, on the basis of the evidence we have that he did, do we serious belief, seriously believe it is possible for a future president to be unremembered at his alma mater. Now, the very next paragraph in that article is what we know is that a Columbia spokesman has confirmed that Obama attended Columbia. And like, I would say, well, that's part of how you find out, right, as you asked the school did this guy attend, as opposed to ask random people who happened to go to a school with thousands of folks did you know this guy? Like, it's just such like the logical line there is. So it's very much a guy picking the reality he wants to have, right, which is that Barack Obama is a fraud. Right, He's a fraud and he faked his attendants at Columbia. He wants to believe that he finds a couple of other Columbia grads who don't like Obama and say, well, I never knew him, and that's the only facts that Jarvin needs here, as opposed to like, well, is there any actual evidence that he attended? And it turns out that is, and like thirty seconds of googling, I found an article by a writer in the Jewish Journal who attended Columbia at the same time as Obama. And also, like all of these guys who were giving interviews to writing papers in two thousand and eight didn't remember Barack Obama because it's a big school. But this guy dug through a bunch of his old graduation papers and found a graduation program that lists Barack Obama by name because he went to Columbia University. This was where were people pointed this out at the time. There's pictures of him there, He's on all sorts of documents. He did know people. It was just this like fever dream that spread through the right and the same way this myth about Haitians eating people's pets in Springfield, Ohio is spreading right now. It's deliberate disinformation, and it's it's disinformation that is believed by people who need an explanation for like how a guy like Obama, who they don't think should be able to do the things that Obama did, was able to do it right. These are racists right who need a reason why, how how Barack Obama became the president that isn't. Well, he's the most charismatic man in American politics, right, he was really good at elections, he was really good at running at campaign. That's not a thing that works with their belief systems. So Jarvin has to buy into these fantasies in order to accept this reality because it just doesn't correlate with his racism. And in this he's just like, I mean, he's Donald Trump was doing all this shit back at the same time, he was like a birther right, Like, this is not any intellectually higher up than Bertherism. But you know, I think it's kind of important to look at this ugly stuff because it contrasts to this dark Enlightenment puppet master view of Yarvin and paints a picture as a guy who is not just writing stuff that is influential, but is also going along with the flow and getting caught up in conspiracy theories and bullshit the same way anyone else in that space is right, he's not special and he's not a hyper genius. Yeah anyway, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's dumb. I mean, yeah, I think it's dumb. Yeah. I think people don't catch it because his articles are always he like throws in Latin quotes and like references and quotes from like these old You know, he's got a great backlog of like witticisms by different historical thinkers. I would describe his writing style as like if Fraser were written by a fascist, right, Like that's how Curtis Jarfin writes. But it very much is kind of just to paper over the fact that he's the same kind of blowhard as like rush Limbaugh.
Speaker 2: Right, how does this comport with the right sort of fetishization of the Constitution.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll be clear, Jarvin does not fetishize the Constitution. I think he views it I think is pretty clearly a misstep, right, because it hands all of this power over to groups that should not like or at least he believes. I think if you were to go back, he would argue that, like the basic ideas behind a lot of the founders, which is that we should have this republic that is governed by elites, this like natural elite aristocracy, like Jefferson believed in this kind of natural aristocracy of intelligent white men. Right, that is pretty close to what Moldbug believes about the world. But obviously, as the franchise was extended to larger and larger chunks of people, as slavery was ended, as we've repeatedly had these movements towards social justice and towards bringing more people into being able to have a voice in the system like that. The fact that that was allowable at all was a terrible flaw in the Constitution as written right, The fact that it included the potential for democratic change was kind of its its fundamental fatal failure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know the nature of this, of Jarvin's relationship or friendship or whatever you want to call it with JD. Van's, but it's saved to say. I think a lot of people on the right would would agree that that Yarvin is is taking some seriously on American views here, espousing some very un American views, un American just meeting like oh yeah and so, and yet we have a vice presidential candidate was presumably at least hobnobbing. I don't know if they're friends. I don't know if if I don't know if Jady Vance would say Jarvin.
Speaker 1: Associates, Yeah, yeah, I don't know, associates.
Speaker 2: Has Jadie Vance been asked about Jarvin? Has he has he take. Has he had had any sort of public expression of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's been there was actually really good. I think it was a New Yorker article from about two years ago, right before his Senate run, where he was like at a conference with Yarvin and like at a party with him and talking like you know, was questioned, you know, or the writer of that article talked with him in part about like some of Jarvin's ideas, like this retire all government employees thing like he's he's he has been like publicly associated with him. I think the kind of the one of the more interesting points is that like Jarvin spent the twenty sixteen election at Peter Teel's house like watching the returns, like he's he's gotten increasingly sort of like publicly plugged into this set of people who have direct connections with power brokers on the right. And you're right, one of the interesting things about him is that he's not really directly He's never become famous in the same way that like a guy like JD. Vance has right because he is too toxic to like bring out and and kind of publicly embroder his ideas. Yes, yes, but you will get people who will talk about stuff like you know, Blake Masters and Jdvanser are comfortable talking about rage, right, this idea that really comes out of mouldbugs writing. And so it's it's he remains kind of toxic enough that you don't want to bring him out too publicly, but he's also popular enough that part of like how you signal to other people who are on this chunk of the right that like you're one of them, is you kind of signpost that you believe a lot of the same things that he believes, right, and you like you show up at the same events at the same kind of like you know, like conferences and whatnot where he gives speeches. These are kind of like you can see the it's not very hard to draw the connections between these people. But Jarvin's not a face man, right, He's never going to run for office, and you certainly don't want him like arguing about like his neo monarchist views on Fox News, Right, that's still a little bit too extreme. But if you say, we need a strong executive leader who's going to run the country like a CEO and fire all of these unelected bureaucrats and replace them with like people who are going to fight for quote unquote liber right, and we need to punish all of our political opponents. We need to like lock up members of the lying news media. Now, all of these are things that you will get a lot of buy in on on the trump Ist right. Right. This is all stuff that Trump himself talks about a lot, And it's the kind of thing people wonder, how did how have we gone so far down this road seemingly so quickly, And it's because it didn't all start with Donald Trump, right. People were kind of tilling the ideological soil for years before that point. And like one of those guys is Curtis Yarvin, and he's one of the most influential ones of those guys.
Speaker 2: As the Jarvin taken a position on Trump publicly.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, he again he understands like there's a degree of like toxicity to his endorsement, but he watched the election at Peter Teal's house and was like very excited that Trump had won, so like he is essentially he has come out being like this is I think as close to the kind of guy we're going to get to start the process of turning the country in the direction that I want right now, He's not a guy who wants the entirety of the United States run by one dude. He seeks this kind of political devolution into these competing corporate city states. But he sees Trump as like a step on that road. This is a guy who will centralize power, who will get these bureaucrats out, who will destroy you know, the left as an organized political force, and that will allow these other kind of interests, these corporate interests, to kind of take and centralize more power themselves as kind of the state gets whittled down and we can devolve power to what are effectively like corporate warlords.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's kind of the end result of his system. You can see it in there's this group of guys on Silicon Valley, in Silicon Valley right now who are start trying to start their own city backed by like Silicon Valley VC money. Yeah. Yeah, And they've talked a lot about.
Speaker 2: They they've given up on that, right.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, that is still very much an effort being made. It's and there's there's been like efforts to kind of take over local San Francisco politics, and there's a lot of Moldebug associated guys in that as well, Like one of the lead figures there is a big fan of his writing who has been kind of pushing this idea as again a step on the road to these corporate controlled city states. Right, this is obviously like part of the process of devolving any kind of accountable state power into the control of what are effectively like ceo kings, Right, and yeah, that's that's that's uh, that's kind of where we're going here.
Speaker 2: But we all get to be Twitter's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything gets to be run like Twitter. Isn't that exciting?
Speaker 2: We get to live in a Twitter?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Don't you want to live in Twitter?
Speaker 2: No? I wish I could just be a tweet that lived in Yeah exclusively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like such a nice place. Speaking of nice places, our sponsors all, they'll create a nice little place for your ears to live for like three minutes, however long an ad break is. We're back. So I kind I really debated with myself, like how much do we get into of like all of the different terrible things he said, like all of each of the different like beliefs. Yarvin has a spouse and this is a guy who's been writing thousands of words a week on the internet for years, So there's like there's too much there for us to give a comprehensive look into the man.
Speaker 2: He just completely summarize all of his writing, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, there's enough of it out there that it can do, Like it can give you a decent amount on mold bug, although you're going to miss stuff, like you know some of this you have to know a little bit more about the far right in order to catch references he makes. Like I was reading one essay of his where he talks about Rhodesia. Do you know what? Rhodesia was.
Speaker 2: The source of the of those unusual ridge backed dogs.
Speaker 1: It is the source of those dogs. It was also a white ethno state in Africa that was like initially started out as a colony of the UK. They refused to give up like the power of the white minority, which is like three percent of the country and had essentially total electoral power. They became like a pariah. This is like during like the nineteen seventies, a lot of this is happening, and wound up fighting a very long war with like the vast majority of the country in order to try and maintain this state of white minority rule. It was a very brutal period of time. This bush War they x acuted was where a lot of early insurgent tactics were carried on, and it was carried out in the name of keeping white people in charge of this massive population of black people who had effectively no power. And Rhodesia was close to the ideal state for Moldbook. I found an article of his where he writes about Ian Smith, who was like the guy who was leading Rhodesia during its like quote unquote war for liberation. And he writes because because Smith died a few years back, and Moldbook like wrote this elegy to him that opened with the words the last great Englishman is dead and fuck who disagrees, And it's basically this piece about how like Smith was the last man who was brave enough to fight for what we all know is the only kind of state that can work, which is one in which a natural biological elite rules over the masses who are unfit to have any sort of power. It ends on these lines, which I think are kind of telling to his ideology, and one we will either be hacked to death in our own Beds or some similar or nasty thing, or Ian Smith or Enoch Powell, and even our own tailgunner Joe will have another life in bronze. But do you know us, I'm not sure we have been introduced. We are the neo mccarthyists. Our motto this time will finish the job. And so what he's saying there is that like Smith is like Joe McCarthy. He's one of these guys who embodies the violence of the politics that we're advocates of. Right and again, he's never going to come out and say I think we should kill all the people who disagree with me. But he will harken back to these figures and say, these are my kind of ideological heroes. And the movement that I am seeking to incite is going to finish the job. It's going to kill all the communists, it's going to win where Rhodesia lost. Right, Like, it's not as direct as saying, you know, I'm a white nationalist, and in fact, he will never admit to being a white nationalist. But what is the conclusion when you're t talking about the failure of Rhodesia as being a tragedy other than well, just someone who supports white nationalists. Right, you can see kind of like the violent, inherent violence inherent in what he's pushing for.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: In that same essay, he praises the novel The Camp of the Saints, which is a racist book about migrants from India flooding Europe and destroying civilization, which is Steve Bannon's favorite book. And Steve Bannon is another influent Yeah, yeah, it's great replacement stuff, right. Bannon is a big fan of Curtis Jarvin. Again, all of these people are connected and they're all fans of each other. Like the kind of like ideological simpatico here is a crucial part of the story. Now, in the last few years, as he's gained more of an influence online, Jarvin has grown a bigger head. He started referring to himself as the sith Lord of the modern anti democratic right because he is a big nerd. He's also he's the guy who brought the red pill into right wing politics, like taking it from The Matrix. Yeah that's cool, huh that yeah, yeah, And he's you know, it's interesting because like obviously The Matrix was a movie written by two trans women in not at all about right wing politics.
Speaker 2: Right, the matrix is sort of a great allegory for his beliefs.
Speaker 1: I do think it is an allegory for his beliefs, and like the violence and depression that they necessitate. I think like he tends to take it as like realizing that democracy is fake and that like all of these social justice movements are inherently like evil, flawed attempts to like destroy the natural aristocracy. Like that's the matrix, right is you know, people who don't look like him being able to vote, which is much shallower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the violent its inherent in these systems that that you're referring to. It does it does seem to And I hate to armchair psychoanalyze anybody, and I'm not equipped to do that. So this is more of a just sort.
Speaker 1: Of we always say we hate it, but we always do a little bit.
Speaker 2: Oh we can't help it, right, Yeah, but no, this is just sort of a pontification. But does it feel to you because it does to me a little bit, like like to really take these these positions seriously and advocate for these things is is, in its own way a kind of enjoyment of violence or a an and in that way, almost like a psychopathy, like a like violence is wonderful? Yeah, yeah, Is there is there anything to be found in Arvin's writings that is that that laments the that violences or subjugation or the suffering of any humans, is a is an unfortunate side effect of these systems but necessary? Or is it just sort of like no, that's just an awesome part of it.
Speaker 1: It's more like number one. I think a big thing that he tries to do is minimize the degree to which that's necessary. But when it does come up, it is this very full throated embrace of like, well they're communists, you know, like this is what we have to do. Like the terrorism of the Nazis was great because it worked, right, Like, I don't think he's a guy who feels bad at all about the inevitable consequences of his beliefs. And I certainly don't get that hint from his writing that there's any sort of like real regret. There maybe some like sign postings to regret about the unfortunate you know, necessities that will come about, But this is I think you're right on the money. There's a lot of like violent fantasizing here. Against this is a guy who spends a lot of time obsessed with the things that annoy him in the world world and convinced that like the right solution to those things is a sort of terminal force. And you get this all over with people who get kind of too wrapped up in like the specifics of their ideology and their anger at its discontents. You can find like you know, maoists and whatnot online who will fantasize about like when our revolution takes over, you know, we're going to put people in re education camps or whatever. It's a it's a necessary byproduct of not having enough empathy and spending too much time alone in a room obsessing over how right you are? Right is anything that kind of inherently conflicts with that as the world, in all of its complexity, will always do should be solved by the most violence I can bring to bear right. And that's why we need to capture the presidens.
Speaker 2: So certain solution which is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's why these guys, that's why their big goal is the presidency right, because the way they see it, and certainly the way the Supreme Court is set it up, getting the presidency gives you access to the greatest store of violence that has ever existed in human history. Right, Like, that is what the president has access to. Right. People don't like to talk about it that way, but there's no other real way to view it, potentially, And if you see the president as someone who should have no guard rails, and this is very much what we're going to advocate for, as a president that has no restrictions on his power, then what you're looking at is a guy who has the ability to use the most violence ever concentrated in cleansing the world of the people who make it not fit this schema that I've cooked up in my head that I find very attractive. Yeah, it's good stuff. So if you're looking for a writing on you know, Jarvin to this day, if you're looking at like what people have come to call the strain of thought that he helped ignite, the term you'll come across the most is neo reactionary or NRX. Right, this is kind of the how you'll see it written about a lot in like blogs by Bay Area techies. And this term started to be used more in like twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen. I think it is when it really took off. You had some sort of writing by people like Clint Finley at tech Crunch in twenty thirteen that noted that you were seeing a lot of these this thought take off among influential people in big tech. Finley wrote PayPal founder Peter Teal his most voice similar ideas, and Pat Dickinson, the former CTO of Business Insider, say he's been influenced by neo reactionary thought. It may be a small minority worldview, but it's one that I think shines some light on the psyche of contemporary tech culture now. It was through tech Crunch in twenty fourteen that Minsius Moldbug was first revealed to be computer scientist Curtis Yarvin, and it was revealed that Yarvin was working at a startup funded by Peter Teal's money called Tlawn. Now Tlawn was the name comes from a short story like a sci fi short story written by a fella named Borges in nineteen forty and one summary of the story I found from Francis Saying writes that it quote describes a secret society Orbis Tertius that architects an entirely new world Plawn by establishing an encyclopedia describing it. Over time, bits of this fictional world begin to emerge in the real world, consuming it. And this is kind of how Muldbug thinks of his writing. Right, I am writing the future into being by theorizing it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's why this company is named after it. That's why he finds that story so influential. The kind of process of this is called hyperstition. It's this process of like taking ideas that exist only in people's heads in fiction and like forcing them into the real world. It's one of those premises that seems silly until suddenly a guy who might be the vice president starts ranting about how childless women are psychopaths and we need to fire the government so Donald Trump can remake it in his own image. This is all very like silly seeming until it isn't. And kind of the scariest thing about Jarvin is that he has to an extent been successful in like writing a different world into being like he has. He has had more influence in this than you want to believe. Kind of the tipping point for Jarvin's influence and culture and for that kind of politics starting to take over the right was twenty fourteen, and it happened appropriately enough on the Internet with something called gamer Gate.
Speaker 2: H and there we are.
Speaker 1: I was wondering how long it would Takejanopolis to show up gamer Gate. A lot of the people who are thought leaders in Gamergate, who are like, like, who are some of the early uh like voices behind that and behind that kind of neo reactionary swell as it enters public consciousness are fans of Yarvins. One of them is Steve Bannon. Bannon is a big behind the scenes player, and what happens there as is Milo Yanopolis, and Yanopolis is kind of a guy who comes to fame through Gamergate, as like making himself into kind of a voice of the movement, and Yanopolis is an adherent of Yarvin's philosophy. The next year, after Gamergate twenty fifteen, Trump descends his Escalator to launch his campaign, and in short order, the alright is eternal. Yeah, and the alright becomes kind of undeniable to anyone. Right, It's not something you can ignore anymore, And figures like Janopolis and Bannon are major like faces of the movement, while Jarvin remains kind of obscure still, you know, people who are in the know, who understand where a lot of the ideas guys like Eanopolis are spouting in public come from, know that he's a player in the field, but he's kind of obscured and shadowed by the cloaking factor of his very dense, clumsy prose. Corey Pine at The Baffler is probably the first guy to cohesively suggests that Jarvin's relationship to Peter Teel and to the folks around him were part of a whider movement towards anti democratic change. His work was influential enough to get The New York Times to ask Peter Teal if he was working to fund a monarchist coup, and Teal replied in a cryptic fashion, it was a full on conspiracy theory. In truth, there's nobody sitting around plotting the future, though I sometimes think it would be better if people were, which is like the most sinister way to reply to that. Right, So twenty sixteen comes along. Next Trump wins the election, and suddenly even normal people who don't spend their free time online looking at fascists on the internet become aware that something is very wrong. In twenty seventeen, BuzzFeed News publishes an expose based on leaked emails between a bunch of members of the alt right, including Bannon and Yanopolis, and I'm going to quote Corey Pine describing these leaks and from some of the most revealing reveals. In that piece, BuzzFeed reported that Teal and Eanopolis had made plans to meet during the July Republican National Convention, but much of Eanopolis's knowledge of seems to come secondhand from other right wing activists, as well as Curtis Jarvin, the blogger who advocates the return of feudalism. The story then quotes this exchange. Jarvin told Yanopolis that he had been coaching Teal. Peter needs guidance on politics, for sure. Yanopolis responded, less than you might think, Jarvin wrote back, I watched the election at his house. I think my hangover lasted in this Tuesday, He's fully enlightened. He just plays it very carefully. And you know, if you're looking for direct connections, it's something that we only really have because of you know, leaks like that. But these are not like conspiracy theory connections that we have to draw between people, like we have texts between these guys talking about how they're trying to convince moneyed interests of their plans to like end democracy in the United States, and they've been doing it for a while. And that's that's most of what I've got to say about Curtis Yarvin. Now, I would be doing you at a service if I didn't end this by talking at least for a little bit about the other side of his professional life, because while he's been writing all of this fascist theorizing and whatnot, he has a career as a software developer and a project that represents he and he will state represents like his political dreams.
Speaker 2: RBIT.
Speaker 1: Now, RBIT is like a period on paper. It's supposed to be basically a period of peer social networking tool like masted on that allows individual users more control over their information in digital life. And when he talks about ERBIT, Jarvin talks about it as like this is me building in software a representation of my ideal form of government, right, And he frames it as like something that gives you control over your own life and data, not some central company like Twitter that like can be corrupt and used to bad ends. And that's complete bullshit, right. The reality is that Rbit is backed by Peter Thiel money, and it is an attempt to effectively like build a different kind of social networking infrastructure for the Internet that Curtis Yarvin has complete control over. Right now, the good news is it hasn't actually taken off. This company is largely a failure. It's generally agreed to be pretty badly coded. I found a pretty good analysis of it by Francis Saying, who runs a website called Distributed Web of Care, who points out that, like, while Jarvin tries to frame this as like Mastodon, is like, well, you keep control of your data. You're in charge of your digital life, not some company. The way everything is set up is you have these like different nodes, and there's a limited number of nodes, and most of them are controlled by Jarvin and the Herbit company. So what he's like really trying to do here is set up like a landlord scam, like on the Internet, right where he's the big landlord. And I think this is kind of revealing, not because herb it's important, but because it shows we've kind of been talking this whole time. How much of this does he really believe? How much of this is like him kind of dressing it up, and I think you get the real Curtis Jarvin here, which is not a guy with any real high minded intellectual desires beyond I want to be the one in power, right, Like I want to be the one with the money. I want to be the big landlord. Right. He doesn't hate Twitter and Facebook because they ruined his old Internet. He hates it because, like he's just another guy in all of those systems and he wants to be the king or at least a night right. I think that's kind of like the note to end on is pointing out, like, underneath it all and underneath all of the like dressing up in intellectualism that he puts on, this is just a guy who's angry that he's not currently the one with all the power, right, And that's that's really what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Whoah, sorry, because that I've learned. Yeah, I'm not a fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's good to hear. That's good to hear.
Speaker 2: But I do I do want to read up more and get a sense of his tone and and and maybe well I'd love to hear him speak and get a more better sense of his persona and kind of what that.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, he's on many podcasts.
Speaker 2: How does that Bannon reconcile someone openly advocating for the the basically just the burning of the Constitution with also being a leader for for just like Republican ascendancy, Like, how does how do you reconcile those things? I'm so confused with that unless there's unless it's is it a you know, do you think it's a like if we were to say JD. Vance gets to be president one day, do you think it's a bait and switch? Are they like, is it really a you know, is that Peter Thiel's game to sort of bait and switch the Americans into like just get him into office and then we're going to make him a dictator? Or is it?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Is it a thing where someone like a JD. Vance who's participating in American democracy as a candidate, is really sort of like I like some of these ideas. I like the CEO approach to a presidency, but like, I still believe in the Constitute. I still believe that democracy is our our is our bedrock.
Speaker 1: I don't think for one thing, just based on a lot of stuff that Vance has said on some of these far right podcasts. I don't believe he believes that democracy is our bedrock. I think a lot of what ways these guys will couch it is that's saying, like, well, I believe in a republic, right, and kind of what they're hearkening back to this very classical idea that well, only like property owning men should be able to vote. Right, Like, sure, there should be right some voting, but like not the franchise should certainly be And this is something Vance has has embraced when he's talked about how like people without children shouldn't have the same degree of electoral say, right, you should have men, If you're the head of a family, you should get to vote, have more votes that basically account for how many kids you have, and probably for your wife too. Right. These are things Vance has talked about on different podcasts he's appeared on, and Bannon has expressed a lot of anti democratic sentiment. I think part of the problem is that when these people get confronted by the media, there's this inherent impulse that like mainstream political reporters have to normalize them in a way that I don't think is that I think provides them with cover right to not just to not talk about them as if they are people who are trying to end democracy, because they very much are. You know, that's not the normal. That's not the norm within like people who vote for the Republican Party. But when we are talking about guys like JD. Vance and Steve Bannon and Steve Miller, you know, Trump's former associate, like all of these guys, that is the norm among these people. And part of what part of how they see Trump as useful and potentially Advance is useful, is not that they're going to get us to this end system that Jarvin theorizes. And when they when they take Yarvin's ideas, I don't think most of them want exactly the same kind of system that he does, because he's kind of a kook, and right his system is unworkable, and none of them really want to devolve. Most of them don't want to devolve power. Right, A guy like Teal may want to devolve some powers so that he can run, you know, effectively his own little city state where he gets to make all of the rules. But there's a degree of like chaos inherent and the actual thing that Yarvin advocate that makes it unworkable, but they find ideas that he has very useful. And likewise, I think folks like Jarvin think that a guy like Vance, even if he doesn't back believe everything they believe, would be useful because he brings us closer to this kind of a system. And part of how we would do that is by purging the left, by purging and destroying like all of these journalists, by by locking up our political opposition, right, Like that is a big part of it for them, is we want to use the violence that the state has access to to destroy the people who don't want the world to be this way, right, And there very is this kind of yearning for having a freehand to utilize that violence to crush opposition. That is key to that's what binds all these two guys together. Like, as you've stated, and I think this is an important point. It's not like Steve Bannon, like believes to the letter and all of the crazy shit that Jarvin writes about, right, It's not like JD. Vance is like sleeping with a bunch of printouts of unqualified resid under his bed. There's some ideas they find useful. They like the way he messages, They think it's like, especially like rage. They think that's good messaging for this thing that we want to do. But they're all kind of tied together by we want supreme executive power so that we can wield violence against our enemies, right, And that's where they're all simpatico. Right, And that's I think kind of the most important takeaway here is not all of these people have been enraptured by Curtis Jarvin and are like thought zombies to his beliefs. They find some of his ideas useful, and likewise, he and the people who follow him like they're all in agreement about one thing, and it's who they want to hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because I've always I felt that there was an article and I think it was New York Magazine during the run up to the twenty sixteen election that said, I think the phrasing was electing Trump would be an extinction level event for the United States. Yeah, a lot of people are scared of a second Trump presidency because they feel like democracy would crumble under Trump. And that's that's been a you know, rallying cry of the left now for quite a while. And I agree to some extent I do think that he's a threat to democracy. I don't know that he wants to completely topple it, but I I do think that how he handled the transition of power was very very alarming and unnerving and should be disqualifying, but at least to be for a party to nominate him, if not legally disqualifying. So, but I've always thought that his his threat to democracy is more his unwieldiness and his sort of lust. Trump's just narcissism and lust for power and lust for staying the center of it, tension like that was almost the most That's why he's a threat, and and that and that that's just kind of wild and crazy and ridiculous of him, of Trump, And but it is it's dangerous if he gets there. But it's a but it's a it's a kind of danger that is almost cartoonish, like it's it's just so ridiculous. But what you've been laying out these last two episodes, Yeah, very sort of as a much more sinister intellectual underpinning with dismantling of democracy, that is, uh, that is arguably far more serious kind of threat. Uh as a as a doctrine. Yeah, And I've never perceived Trump as someone driven by a sort of like anti democratic doctrine. I just thought he was he isn't. I just was always thought like, oh, he's a dictator just because he's a megalomaniac and he wants to behave like he wants to have all the power of a dictator. He wants to behave he wants to be like you know mel Brooks, like it's good to be the king, Like that's all he wants. Yeah. Yeah, But here is a group of people or a person with some measure of influence. Uh, really thinking this stuff through?
Speaker 1: You're right that I think this is has been generally missed. You know, people have started in particularly like kind of the mainstream Democratic party, but also just like like centrists, you know, people who are not particularly political, but are I think most people who are people of goodwill don't want to live in a dictatorship. Right. That would be how I would describe a person of goodwill is you don't want to institute a dictatorship. What?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I think that's a key part, right. I think people have started to realize the intellectual threat and the broader threat that trump Ism has opened the door for. With Project twenty twenty five. But what has happened with Trump? Because I think you're right on the money with your characterization of him. He is not an ideologue. If he thought he could have gotten to power running as a Democrat and you know, still been the big man on top, he would have done that, right. That just was not the what wound up working for him.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He is a Trumpist, and that he believes in himself and himself being the guy who is the most important person. But when he started running and when he first took over the Republican Party, he started breaking norms, right. And sometimes it's good to break norms, right. It used to be the norm that, you know, a huge chunk of this country was segregated, right, and that was something that we had to very that was something that forcefully had to be broken, right. The government had to deployee forced to do that. And in that case that was very much a good thing. But when you break norms, it opens up space for people who have extreme views to push those views into the public sphere. And what happened with Trump as he destroyed the Republican Party that had been he wound up pushing out a lot of people who had been influential in that party, and that opened up space for a whole bunch of people as long. Basically, anyone could become an influential part of the Republican Party if you could do one key thing, which was been to the knee to Trump and also get along with him. And so guys like Stephen Miller, right, are people who understood how to do that. You know. That's how like what jd. Vance has done, that's how he became the VP. Right as he started courting Trump, he started like helping out with stuff like when Trump would do like public appearances after that big chemical spill in East Palestine like a year or so ago. Like Vance is the guy who handled a lot of the advance work for that. He had pressed Trump. He was good at sucking up to him. And they did all this consciously, not because they are all believers that Trump should be the most important person in politics, but because they understood that with access to Trump comes the ability to kind of twist the country in this direction if you can just convince him it's the way to go right, and that is the way, this kind of capture of the system, that's that's how they want it to like that's what they are very consciously trying to do. And so it's it's a situation where, because of who he is and the things that he has made possible, we do have to confront the fact that these these very extreme people who have a very dark vision for what our society should be are kind of at the gates right now. And you, you know, it's unfortunate, but I think at this point undeniable, and I do think it's it's a thing people kind of have to look at with with with clear eyes, because it's it's at this point a very immediate threat. Anyway, you had a good Friday, ruining my day, Maybe it'll be up.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go home and be like bitter and angry at my family. What are you doing to help save democracy?
Speaker 1: Dad?
Speaker 2: I'm three, but get out there.
Speaker 1: That's kind of a normal reaction after coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately. Yeah, I'm gonna go home and be mad.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be angry all weekend. Well Ed, I'm gonna be happy all weekend because I got to have a fun time talking with you today.
Speaker 2: This was fun. I really appreciate thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thanks for being on. People should check out your podcast, Snap Who Season two is great. I haven't listened to season one yet, but I'm sure it's also great. I'm excited to get into that as well soon. Yeah, I had anything else you want to plug before we roll out today?
Speaker 2: Snap and season one Season one is super fun. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, so Jack, You're both out that out.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ed and everyone have a good rest of your week. Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.