Speaker 1: I want to be in the field. I mean, I feel like I'm too young to know just DH right now. I want to use my athleticism to play defense wherever that's in left or catching or first or another corner spot.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, let's talk about the Athletics for just a second. This is a team that I have to say, despite all of the stuff that this club has to go through, I never hear the players themselves complain about anything. It just seems like a strong group of guys that is willing to do what they can with they have. And nobody knows that better than Tyler Soda Strong. Welcome my friend to the program. We appreciate you being here on Foul Territory. Thanks for coming on. And Tyler, I was just talking to these guys about the fact that regardless of the situation that the Athletics are in front of, you, guys are a very tight knit group, it seems like anyway, and you don't complain. Why is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, thanks for having me on first and foremost. But I think Cott's kind of sent the message last year at the end of the season that no one's going to really feel bad for us. They're just still going to come into Sacramento and try and and try and beat us. So we just kind of went in with the mentality that you know, nobody cares. The situation may not be the best, but you know, we we're gonna make the best of it and make it our home.
Speaker 3: So it's been good so far.
Speaker 4: Ty You were in Triple A last year for part of the season. Now you're in a Triple A stadium. Come on, there's there's not even like any like good Triple A Big League jokes that you guys have heard it. You're like, I kind of feel like that one's a good one.
Speaker 1: We definitely joke around like internally and stuff. But you know, they they did a pretty good job. Everything's brand new. I mean, I'm sure the visiting the visiting teams have it worse than us, for sure, but you know, we've made the most of it. We're enjoying sacks so far. So I mean, it's definitely definitely good as a hitter, you know, the balls flying, so we're enjoying it.
Speaker 5: Hey, Tyler, I want to talk a little bit about some some things that dove into since your third time around. Now, very short sample size and a lot of people coming into the season, nobody was talking about you, right, but here you.
Speaker 6: Come on the scene.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, not looking back, and when I dove into the mechanics of it, a couple of things that I'm noticing a lot more balls elevated. You're barreling up a lot of balls at a much higher percentage the the uh you know, bat speed is essentially the same. But and I'm not saying it's because Alana's on here today, but when I really dive even deeper, you have some O tiny esque things in your swing.
Speaker 6: Is he somebody that you looked at?
Speaker 5: What were some of the things that you went into the off season saying that if I can lock in here, I can turn this power in my tools into something special at the big league level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I mean I in the minor leagues.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't really struggle, and you know, I kind of flew through the minors, power hit for average, drove guys in and I got to the big leagues and really, uh, you know, I just didn't work out from her in the beginning, and I was still pretty young. But you know, they're just pitching, pitching the corners, throwing us off, and I just really wasn't able to adjust, and I was missing the pitches in the zone because I was so kind of tied up. But I think I just needed something that was pretty repeatable, pretty easy. I've I've mentioned JJ Blade, you know, he kind of went through the same thing as me. He kind of struggled, came up and kind of put the foot down early and kind of really helped him take off. So kind of mentored after him a little bit, started playing around with it kind of halfway through the season last year and really kind of opened up his own for me. I felt like I could see everything be on time for everything kind of adjust. So yeah, it's been good so far.
Speaker 4: Tonight's starter, Sean Burke, You've had a dinger against him in the show. Does that make your comp Do you feel a difference in your confidence when you're facing a dude that you've already hit a dinger against that you're like, okay, And can you take that confidence into a dude like the entire Mariners pitching starting rote where you're like okay, like I gotta get after some of these guys. Or does that, like this past, this past success not affect your psyche going into a game.
Speaker 3: That definitely helps.
Speaker 1: I mean I feel like just overall, like seeing guys the first time for the first time can be difficult, but once you kind of see guys more and more, you know, you get more comfortable in the box. And even I mean just having success against some even adds to that. So yeah, I mean, we we just saw these White Sox guys. We're gonna face the same three starters that we did in Chicago coming off a sweep there, so we're excited to just kind of build off that and keep going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I want to follow up right there.
Speaker 5: Uh, you talk about Cots and one thing I stand on I always say the leader is the manager. We always look at players as the guys who lead the clubhouse. But you have to have a guy that you wake up and you're excited to go play for him. How big is Cots been? He was a veteran when I was younger in my career. I know what he did for me. Even though he's the manager, he's not the heat and guy. He has so much knowledge. How how big has he been for your growth this year? And what are the athletics and COT's telling you your role is going to be moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, Cotts has been a big part of our success. You know, he came into a pretty tough situation when you first kind of started managing, so he's done a great job of you know, dealing with that and getting to us to this point. I mean, we're a young group of guys that you know, kind of need that guidance. We didn't really know how to be big leaguers. So he's really helped me in that aspect of kind of learning to be a big leaguer and how to go about my business. And you know, like you said, they've kind of communicated to me that I'm probably going to be playing more and left you know, Kurch has debut, so looking to get him in the lineup, to get another lefty bat in there and kind of help us against Rice for sure.
Speaker 7: FT fam, I hope you have as much confidence as Penelope right now, who is an avid spot Entango fan, Okay, And she uses the code foul Crats because this is a personalized dog food subscription service that prevents you, of course from going to the store to pick up the food, and she just gets the highest quality unkibble that is what they're known for and I know you love the quiz part of it too.
Speaker 4: It's a super quick quiz, but it lets you give them the information and they tailor it to what is needed based on their age, size, activity level, all things that are customed for each and every one of your dogs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Human great ingredients in that unkibble USDA meat, fruits and veggies that are approved there. Upgrade your pets bowl with Spot and Tango unkibble. Go for it for a limited time. Go to spotantango dot com slash foul use code foul to get fifty five oh percent off your first order. That is, spotantango dot com. Slash foul code foul to get fifty percent off your first order at spotantango dot com slash foul code foul.
Speaker 4: All right, I gotta ask this. Do you miss catching because they're moving you out of the position. I kind of transition to it. You caught thirty to forty games a year in the minor leagues. Normally we have two catchers on here, but we allow an outfielder on here and Cam because we'll bring the athleticism down a little bit when we bring outfielders. I think, is Shay gonna let you catch it all? Like let the man get back there, all these dangers a catcher who.
Speaker 2: It's a little extra cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I mean I'm open to anything. Man Like, I just want to I want to be in the field. I mean, I feel like i'm too young to you know, just dh right now. I want to use my athleticism to play defense wherever that's in left or catching or first or another corner spot. And I feel like it can handle all of it. So but yeah, like you said, we've got Shay So, I mean, he's a he's a horseback there. He's back there every night, and he's got power too. So we're just trying to figure out where we can get all these bats and where we can fit them all on the line up.
Speaker 2: For sure, you seem very disciplined in all of your answers there. I don't know if you had media's training or if you just feel like you're too young. What makes you smile, what makes you relax?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just pretty laid back, lay back guy, you know, early in the morning, just drinking my coffee here and so I'm just waking up.
Speaker 2: Did you grow up? I know that your dad played Speaking of coffee, a cup of coffee in the big leagues. But did you have like, did you grow up in a baseball family? I mean, were you always surrounded by it? And was there ever a part of you that you didn't want to play this game or was it just ingrained in you that you were doing it now?
Speaker 1: I was just ingrained to me, you know, ever since I figured out my dad played, That's all I wanted to do growing up. So you know, he he played, got two cups of coffee in ninety six and ninety eight with the Giants and he was a first rounder out of Francis State, So you know, he's been through it all. He's taught me what I know, and you know, just growing up with my brother, just training with him, and yeah, he's been in a big part of my success for sure.
Speaker 4: How did your dad talk about his career? Because AJ and I and Cam we had careers that lasted longer than your dad's. Mine could have never been a big league career. Cam and AJ they were definitely gonna be big leaguers like they were first rounders. How did he talk about his career?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, he felt like he maybe left a little bit on the table, but he you know, he had a shoulder aneurism right when he got into pro ball that kind of hindered his success rate. You know, he just couldn't really stay healthy. So you know, he just always taught me to, you know, put in the extra work and just never leave anything on the table because you know, this game can end quickly.
Speaker 3: So I think you kind of instilled that in me for sure.
Speaker 6: Let's talk teammates real quick.
Speaker 5: Now, you guys have a pretty young roster, right other than the old head Luis Savarino over there, my teammate. What I've never been to a clubhouse that young, right, Usually it's cards on the plane, it's some type something competitive. But when you have a group that young, I know, some competitive stuff going on. One who's the most competitive guy in the clubhouse? And two what do you guys do I mean to kill time? When you talk about having such a young group, like the fans need to note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's definitely a good, really good mix of really young guys and some older, you know, veteran guys. We we actually call ourselves YC, which is a young crew, and then we refer to the older guys as OC. So TJ McFarland is kind of the head of that. And then we got Lawrence Butler, who's you know, chirping a lot. So it's a good friendly banter back and forth. It's a good mix. Mean, we play cards, a lot of cards. I mean yeah, I mean we got two card tables on the plane, so yeah, you know, we make we make them, We make the most of it.
Speaker 3: We have fun, for sure.
Speaker 4: I guess Lulldog is Swaggy, right, He's the head swag Isn't there a second place? Is there somebody that's like trying to catch him?
Speaker 1: That's a tough one. I mean, he's just so out there with everything. I mean he has two lockers. I mean he has about six or seven different belts hanging in the second locker, So I mean he's definitely the leader in that department for sure. Seve's got a good shoe game going for sure. A lot of a lot of Jordan's in there. So I'd say Saevie's close second with the shoes. But I think overall, you know, it takes the takes number one easy.
Speaker 4: And I guess since law just got his contract so he can he can spend it and flow on it a little bit more too. What about we talk about money and maybe there's no there's no gambling in baseball, not saying you guys were gambling, but did you guys have a pool of when Jacob Wilson was actually going to get to a three ball count, let.
Speaker 6: Alone a walk, Because I saw the.
Speaker 4: Reaction in the dugout and everyone was like, yeah, so you guys were clearly paying attention.
Speaker 1: Yes, we were paying attention for sure. No no money pool put together for that. But we're giving him crap every day for sure. But you know, he's he's a great hitter man, He's We're constantly amazed if we're just sitting back watch him and dug out, just watch him bang balls with the right side and up the middle. So it's pretty special to watch. But yeah, well we were on him pretty good for sure, no doubt.
Speaker 4: No doubt. What about uh? What about his what about his the fact that he doesn't have as much power as you do? You give him a hard time? Like are you guys like does he even hit on the field because he watches he watches Rook, he watches you, he watches Wall He now now Kurts is up, Like do you give you guys give him a hard time and go, hey, the singles guys, they go hitting the cage for BP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's kind of done a good job of embracing that. We we definitely do give him a little slack for that. You know in BP, when he when he gets one out down the left field line, you know, everyone's putting their hands up cheering. So he gets it a little bit, but he embraces it. I mean, you watch his BP. He doesn't hit a ball on the left side of second base still about the third round. So uh, but he's got some power and then he'll sneak a couple a couple out down the left field line here and hopefully you can in about five or ten I think is his number.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's fair. A couple of power swings. Five to ten power swings. Maybe he just needs a torpedo bat or something like that, you know, something, some kind of gimmick. Anyway, he's hitting a million, so don't change it. Tell him not to change a thing. Every once in a while, actually all the time. There's a home run hit at Sacramento at Sutter Field, when it goes to left center, I see a batting cage out there. Do you guys have an outdoor batting cage at a big league stadium? And is that gonna be problematic when it's one hundred and ten in Sacramento.
Speaker 1: So we have two tunnels that are endoor, are actually pretty nice. I'm not sure what the visiting tunnel is. I'm pretty sure it's indoors. I haven't done a whole lot exploring over there, but you know, when it gets hot, I'm sure there'll be some problem that arise. But I haven't really been over there to check anything out. But our two tunnels have been I've actually been pretty nice.
Speaker 6: So nice.
Speaker 4: I'm glad that you guys have indoor tunnels. Last one for me and we'll let you go. I saw a big goose egg on the Baseball Reference page on stolen bases. I need you to get a back. I need you to get it back.
Speaker 1: Like I've got to to two attempts this year, both with Shay hitting, so he's fell off.
Speaker 3: He's fallen off twice. So I'm gonna okay, I'm going for ten. I'm going for.
Speaker 4: This year.
Speaker 6: I like big, I'm with crazy, you got you gotta.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get I'm gonna get ten bags of yourn.
Speaker 5: You got half a step, and just remember they're not thinking about you over there, so get them.
Speaker 6: Get the sneak attack going early, right.
Speaker 5: Maybe even a little pool shuffle shuffle, get you a little early jump.
Speaker 6: Don't treat it like a hit and run, and you'll get you some bags.
Speaker 4: Take the pitch, Take the pitch one time.
Speaker 3: Let him.
Speaker 6: I admit.
Speaker 2: I love that you put it out here though. On Foult Territory. Ten backs this year for Tyler in.
Speaker 3: The twenty five one of my goals for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, great job so far, Great success to you Tyler the rest of the way. It's been fun watching you play so far. Thanks for taking a couple of minutes to be with us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, guys, I appreciate it. Have a good one.