Speaker 1: Not for another Sunday sampler.
Speaker 2: Sore Losers coming up and they'll talk about the Walker Hayes Charity golf tournament. Caroline Hobby sat down with Christian singer and former American Idol alum Danny Goki and on the Bobby Cast, Litt was on fasing that song.
Speaker 3: Can't We Forget About Things?
Speaker 1: I said when I was drunk it did mean to call you that.
Speaker 2: So here they are talking about Woodstock ninety nine. Let's kick off the sampler with Litt. It's been twenty five years since My ow Worst Enemy. I did not know that. It feels like it feels like fifty years but also like three years at the same time, totally like that songs.
Speaker 1: Was it in a was it in a movie first?
Speaker 2: Or was it just a straight radio single that they just put out as itself?
Speaker 1: Did it then exist in every movie after that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It was a radio off quickly?
Speaker 2: Y Yeah, okay, because for a while it was in everything and then it like five years ago it started popping up in everything again, which is really cool, cool life of a song to have. So was that the first single from lit My Own Worst Enemy?
Speaker 1: First?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 4: That was the first song that went to radio with us.
Speaker 5: So the album that was called you know Lit whatever that was before A Place in the Sun got it. So A Place in the Sun was our first major label record.
Speaker 4: Yea enemy was on that.
Speaker 6: We might have got a little bit of like college radio love on the album before A Place in the Sun, but yeah, I was it was minor.
Speaker 4: It was like it was building block.
Speaker 2: So Lit the record still stayed the name Lit. It was self titled. Right at that point we.
Speaker 4: Changed it to Tripping the Light Fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yep, Okay, that's a lot different than Lit. And yeah, so is that the one though that was heard that got you guys the big looks that then created A Place in the Sun? Or was it all the music from A Place in the Sun that somebody heard and that really was it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It was the new batch of songs?
Speaker 1: Who hear's those? How does that work?
Speaker 5: We had a manager and we we were shopping and just getting turned down by everybody, even my owners. Sentiment got turned down by everybody, including our CAA who ended up signing us.
Speaker 4: They turned it down the first.
Speaker 1: Time, What with what reason? Or did they not even give one? All you got back was in it?
Speaker 5: I mean back then they would just say we don't hear a hit, we don't hear a single or whatever. And two of the four songs on that demo that everyone passed on ended up being huge hits.
Speaker 1: So who heard it as it later? Was it somebody different that worked.
Speaker 4: With the radio guy at RCAA Records heard it?
Speaker 2: And at the time what was on the radio? Was it? Was it other rock stuff or what? Because my years get blittery at this point, was that sound a lot different or was that sound just a growth of what was already starting to be popular because it was after the nineties grunge stuff.
Speaker 5: Yep, it was a lot different at the time. It was really mixed up and you know, like Blink was getting big around the same time. We would tour together like a warped tour and all that. We were both kind of bubbling over. We were sort of the first, I guess alternative rock band to start kicking doors open at like pop radio.
Speaker 1: Was it boy band time?
Speaker 4: But then that was pretty huge then too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, But on alternative radio and rock radio, it was a lot of you know, it.
Speaker 4: Was creed and corn or chili peppers, biscuit biscuit corn. Those guys wimp Biscuit was coming up.
Speaker 1: Moby Oh yeah, Moby dang mobe in a long time.
Speaker 6: I mean that's when Minem was like an alternative Yeah, yeah, you know why because it was white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crazy, I mean so.
Speaker 2: And I worked in pop radio forever, worked in alternative radio. So did you guys get we'll say service to alternative radio first? Were they like, you're a rock band, we're taking the rock band to the rock stations, or were they going, this is so universal, like we believe we're going to pop.
Speaker 1: Where did that go?
Speaker 2: Well, pop wasn't really messing with a lot of rock, so it wasn't so it killed it at rock first, alternative before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it kind of went to pop because it was so big and it didn't have anywhere else to go. But at first it was it was alternative rock and like whatever they called the other one active rock.
Speaker 2: Sure, it was all rock at first, and so you would be on those festivals. Did you guys ever play in it?
Speaker 7: You're right?
Speaker 1: You good?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 2: Oh no, you're good, You're good. Even if you are, we'll enjoy the noise together. Did you guys do any of those the Woodstocks.
Speaker 4: We did ninety nine? You know, the one everyone's talking about.
Speaker 2: Now, the one that all the crap went wrong? Well, what was it as bad as the documentary shows.
Speaker 1: With what you guys saw, No we saw because there.
Speaker 3: Was no water.
Speaker 2: I mean from what I saw, it was like everybody was like dying of thirst and everything was burning down.
Speaker 1: That wasn't your experience.
Speaker 6: We got in and out first day, so we just I mean it was it was awesome for us.
Speaker 5: We were on tour with Offspring at the time, and so both bands played day one and then we kind of when all hell broke loose at Woodstock, we were already like two shows later, you know, playing amphitheaters.
Speaker 2: And in this subject that would have been good for the documentary. You got the stories kind of fun and boring. You're like, yeah, we had a great time.
Speaker 1: It was awesome.
Speaker 5: I mean, there was a lot of shenanigans going on, but it was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from what the theme of that that documentary was, because I remember it part and again, I was a big alternative kid. I was like country of marketsas so country music talked about where I was from, but alternative music talked about what I felt. And I was the first generation of napster so when Napster hit, like I would just hit the letter L, download every song on that started the letter L in every format and just have the ability. At the time, I thought was my rightful I deserved every song for free. I mean idiot, because we all thought that, or least I thought that. But you know, it was a a download streaming kid.
Speaker 1: It was also a CD kid.
Speaker 2: I was also a tape kid, so I was able to have really all of that type of culture. I guess the only thing I missed was vinyl. But was a big alternative kid. And so when they showed that festival and they would the front like all the bands playing it, it seemed like a pretty aggressive, harder rock festival than maybe what the original was. Did you guys feel that at all? Or was that just the music at the time. Was it just like this is ninety nine or ninety six, this is just what's popular right now more than it is we're trying to create some rock fest version two.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: I feel like a lot of the heavier stuff came out at night, but there were some you know, Elvis Costell actually played, I didn't get to see him.
Speaker 1: Like Jewel played too.
Speaker 5: I think there were Noel and like Cheryl Crow and it was like g Love and Special Saw. I mean it was but the big ones where you know, your Corn and Limp Biscuit and Chili Peppers and and in Offspring and you know, we were playing a lot of big radio festivals in those days, and they were all kind of like they all had a lot of those same bands, which really is kind of hasn't been like that since there was massive, massive artists on these radio festivals back then and still probably now more so in pop, but I mean just an alternative.
Speaker 4: Back then, it was wild.
Speaker 5: The bands that we got to play with we were huge fans of, and it was it was pretty cool.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're listening to in the Vets Office with doctor Josie Horschak.
Speaker 9: Today we're going to have the beautiful and incredibly talented Mackenzie Porter in the Vets office. Not only is she our friend, but you also probably know her from her lead role on the Netflix series The Travelers or her booming music career. Her and Dustin Lynch spent many weeks in the number one spot on country music radio for their song think About You. I still love that song too. I'm super excited to have her on today. Coming up next, Mackenzie Porter with doctor Josie. Welcome to in the Vets Office, Mackenzie Porter. I'm know holligannurferd you as Mac this entire episode. And for the listeners out there that can't see us, we are twinning today. We came pretty much in the exact same outfit and this was not planned.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 8: This means we're good friends and we're on the same waveleg exactly.
Speaker 9: So we got your intro out of the way, and now we need to get to the real star of the show. Here we have on this podcast. We call it b Yo D Bring your Own Dog. So tell us a little bit about miss Willa, this little beast, we call her the Beast. She her name's Willa. Her name's Willa Bean. Okay Porter Ethridge. She has the full name Willa Bean Porter Ethrick.
Speaker 8: Yes, a star, a star, and she is almost five year old multi poo poo, which is like very uncle like.
Speaker 11: I remember my husband when I was like, we're getting a multipoopoo.
Speaker 8: He's like any other dog, any other like there's no there's nothing cool about that dog.
Speaker 11: And now he's obsessed with her.
Speaker 9: So she's like palling at me a multi poopoo. So we've got a Maltese and a poodle or a stumble poodle.
Speaker 12: I see.
Speaker 8: I think she was like bread a multipoo uh huh, and then a multeese and then with another.
Speaker 11: Poodle, maybe with another heard the poo poo.
Speaker 9: Yes, okay, I love that. And how old is Willebane?
Speaker 8: So she's almost five August she'll be five almost five?
Speaker 13: Love that?
Speaker 9: And you have recently announced that you are expecting a baby girl? Do you think that she knows?
Speaker 8: So it's funny, like I feel like the very beginning, I was like she has to know because she kept kind of cuddling my tummy and like wanting to be near me.
Speaker 11: And now I don't know, Like.
Speaker 8: It's you know, it's hard hard to say, like she definitely smells my tummy a lot, okay, because I feel like you, I mean, dogs obviously can sense that kind of thing. I think she's I wouldn't say she's the sharpest tool in the shed, but she is very cuddly, improtective of me. Like even the other day Jake was like tickling me or I can't remember, he wasn't tickling me like he went to grab me for a hug or something, and she would start barking at him. So she's more protective. And I think that's since the pregnancy.
Speaker 9: I hear a lot of women and say that that they become more protective when they're pregnant, So you're not the first time, which is.
Speaker 11: Kind of the most like beautiful thing.
Speaker 8: I love that so much, Like that a dog can just sense like a new family member.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I don't know that, they're just they're so aware.
Speaker 9: How do you think she'll do when you bring the baby home?
Speaker 8: So we we always talk about this, like I think she loves kids. We have neighbors that have kids, so I feel really confident about that. We've also just been like we have to make sure we get her attention. Still, yes, but I think i'd be fine, Like we're gonna do the whole like let the baby lay in the blanket and then let her smell the blanket and then introduce her to the baby.
Speaker 11: But I feel like she'll be totally fine.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think so. I mean, I know her, so I think so. But I do think that's really important for listeners out there. If you know you're gonna want a family. Exposing your dog and getting them desensitized and socialized with kids is so important because yeah, I mean, it's going to be a huge part of your life. And I will be interested to hear your feedback on the age old question of do you love your human children more than your for children, because I'm convinced I won't.
Speaker 11: I mean too that makes me like crying.
Speaker 8: Like I've heard people be like, oh, you won't even care about your dog anymore?
Speaker 11: Yeah, And I'm like that breaks my heart right now.
Speaker 9: It's not possible.
Speaker 8: It's not I mean, I think you know, we have enough love to go around, and I'm sure like there will be times where it's annoying if she's barking, the baby wakes up or whatever, or like taking her out and we're just kind of like swamped be a challenge.
Speaker 11: But I just don't think I could love her, no, any of us.
Speaker 9: No, I don't think so either. So you know, you're a musician, you're on tour a lot. Has she gone on tour with you? And how does she do?
Speaker 8: She does so well. I'm like so impressed with her. I'm just a proud mom. She does so well, so we her big tour was We did like a run with Dan and Shay and you know, I feel like those.
Speaker 11: Guys are like dog people too, totally.
Speaker 8: So it was amphitheaters and she loved it, and like everybody loved her backstage and of course, like when the show's going her sound check, that's like loud and scary for her, but we would just throw her back on the bus and she was fine.
Speaker 11: She was totally fine, and she's flown. She's a really good traveler.
Speaker 8: She loves car rides, so I think because we did that like very early on in her life that she's pretty.
Speaker 11: Used to them.
Speaker 9: She's such a like an entertainer's dog.
Speaker 8: She is, Yeah, she is, and she loves music and she loves like I mean, she is in Jake studio with him recording every single day and that's just her life.
Speaker 11: She's a studio pup.
Speaker 9: So Max's husband, Jake is also a very talented musician. Have either you or Jake written a song about her?
Speaker 11: Or we definitely have written like joke songs, Yeah, like nothing's making my.
Speaker 9: Record like at home that you'll sing to her.
Speaker 11: Yes, she's a theme song.
Speaker 9: Will you maybe give us one little hint of what that sounds.
Speaker 11: Like do you remember the show Pepraham?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Do you remember it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So her theme song is will Lev will Leby. She's still cool for seventh grade, Willa Bean. It's like a million.
Speaker 14: Amazing.
Speaker 11: She's like ready for her, She's like, who we.
Speaker 12: Le cass up little food for yourself life ain't Oh it's pretty Bay, It's pretty beautiful man, beautiful laughs a little more exciting, said, he can't he You're kicking it with Full Thing with Amy Brown.
Speaker 15: Hey, it's Amy Brown from Four Things with Amy Brown.
Speaker 9: And here's what.
Speaker 15: We talked about this week on my podcast.
Speaker 10: One piece of advice that you gave me recently was mom got engaged her senior year and that's something that some of my friends have done, and that's great. But your advice to me was, don't rush to the next season while a really good season is already happening. Don't rush to the season of being engaged. Be present, be where my feet are, and then that will come if its meant to be in God's timing. And I really liked that advice and it made me feel like it is okay to take things slow and there's no need to rush to get engaged.
Speaker 11: Or to get married.
Speaker 16: Yeah, well, everybody's on their own timeline. But I was just giving you my perspective, even though that's how we did do things. And I did get engaged my senior year, and then we got married right after I graduated. I really realized that I felt like planning for the wedding and planning for the marriage overlapped with me enjoying the very end of my senior year of college. And it's like these two seasons really overlapped. And so I was just trying to share my perspective and I liked it. No matter what's happening with your friends, you were on your own timeline, and it's okay to draw things out a little longer than maybe other people are.
Speaker 9: So Ben, you're Ben.
Speaker 15: So I was mind you had been which happened to be her beIN's bff. But what's the flower story since we were talking about flowers earlier. Oh into my head about what he did when y'all were in junior high.
Speaker 16: Yeah, well, my Ben and I, actually you're beIN and I too. We all met in middle school youth group at church. So my Bin, we actually became boyfriend girlfriend in middle school and kind of dated a little bit through high school.
Speaker 17: Then we broke up and he dated somebody else for a long time.
Speaker 16: We don't need talk, We don't really need to talk about all the details of that. But nonetheless, he had come over to my house. And I was in gymnastics and a dancer in high school. So it was like my freshman year of high school, and I had done some performances and sometimes you would get flowers.
Speaker 17: People would bring you roses. Oh, good job on your performance.
Speaker 16: Well then I would save those roses like that dozen roses, dry them, hang them upside down, dry them, and then they'd be sitting around my room really beautiful.
Speaker 17: And so Ben comes over.
Speaker 16: He sees, oh, she likes dead flowers, okay, And so his stepmom and dad had a recent anniversary. His dad had given some flowers. The flowers were about to be thrown out because they were wilty and gross and ugly, and Ben's like, oh no, no, no, don't throw them out. Christie loves dead flowers. So then he brought me his parents old used dying that anniversary flowers because he thought I would love them. And so the differences they weren't the flowers given to me, they were.
Speaker 11: Given to somebody else.
Speaker 16: So I think that's the sentiment of keeping dried flowers is typically that's because they were given to you alive and.
Speaker 17: Beautiful, and then you saved them.
Speaker 11: I think it's cute.
Speaker 9: That is thirteen or fourteen year old brain.
Speaker 16: I thought, Oh, she loves dead Wait a second, Christie loves dead flowers.
Speaker 17: That's a cute story. I love that.
Speaker 15: So do you have any thoughts on dating even though you haven't dated since your twenties, or what you would hope that I look for in my next relationship. Not the qualities in the person, because I know that you love my former Bin. Yes we've known him forever, so it's not I do about that be very special to me, but more so that what you hope for me and maybe what I look for, like traveling or being spontaneous.
Speaker 17: Spontaneous spin could be that, but.
Speaker 9: I'm you know, working on that.
Speaker 15: Or are you and Ben looking for pickleball people to like play with y'all something like that?
Speaker 17: Or people to sit around the campfire?
Speaker 9: Would you like them?
Speaker 15: Him to want to hike in the mountains with us and ski, which you know my Bin did all Wait, why did I get to wait?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 16: No, I mean, all of those things would be wonderful, but I think the main thing I want to see is I just want to see you really light up when you're with them, And I honestly don't care about anything else. So it makes me cry to say that out loud, But I just think, whoever it is, and I believe that he's out there, that he will walk into your life with a force and.
Speaker 11: It can happen.
Speaker 16: It can happen, and nothing's perfect and no one's perfect. You know, it's not going to be like some type of fairy tale situation because that's not real life, but just something where you'll definitely compliment each other and light each other up vice versa. That I see he lights you up as well, So that's the most important thing.
Speaker 17: Thank you for sharing that. I would like that too.
Speaker 16: And if he likes to ski and hike and enjoys the mountains and wants to come to Pugosa all the time, that would be awesome.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 15: If he wants to move to Colorado and Colorado, yeah, that would be great.
Speaker 16: And well come see you Heredo, anyone know anyone, So we.
Speaker 17: Will be taking applications.
Speaker 15: Adelin just made a reference to last week's The water Hoose podcasts and the water Hose spraying spraying water.
Speaker 17: As a quirky squirty, I.
Speaker 9: Don't say that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, this is more just me looking forward. It doesn't mean what I didn't have for anything. Like I loved my marriage. I love that we got two kids out of it from Haiti and they have a whole new life here and they're adjusting well to their time with their mom and their time with their dad. And Ben is dating, and clearly that's the thing, and I know they're enjoying that, and they're getting to experience someone that's pouring into their life. And I just too want if I meet somebody, I need to make sure that they'll pour into my kids as well.
Speaker 17: That would be.
Speaker 16: Part of you lighting up around them because you're not having to dim any part of yourself to accommodate.
Speaker 17: And you know, Ben is wonderful. You're Ben is wonderful, You're.
Speaker 16: Been a lot, been, They're all they're just great Ben. No, But what I was just saying is you you you're a Ben.
Speaker 17: You have a hen.
Speaker 15: I know, but weird to now say your beIN or my bin because he's not my beIN anymore. And he probably always say you're been I know which I'm and I will refer to him that way sometimes too, and then I still call him uncle Ben.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and you should. Yeah, he is your own beIN.
Speaker 15: I just think out of respect for how how he's progressed in his life right for me to say my bin right, it's weird because he's in a relationship.
Speaker 17: Which is great.
Speaker 16: You know, you'll both have so much to offer people, and you as a couple had lost your way with each other because of a lot of factors. And so I really hope it for both of you that as you move on, because y'all are co parenting, you've got these children. Of course, I love him and will always be family, but I would like to see for both of you that spark in whoever your partners are in the future.
Speaker 4: We're going to do it live.
Speaker 13: We are the one, two, three sore losers.
Speaker 18: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports. I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius.
Speaker 4: Y'all.
Speaker 1: It's Sison.
Speaker 3: I'm from the North.
Speaker 1: I'm an alpha male. I live on the.
Speaker 13: North side of Nashville. With Bayser my wife. We do have a farm. It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined.
Speaker 18: Over to you, coach, And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers.
Speaker 13: It's like, you deposit, I deposit let's say, last Friday, and then it puts the date of this Wednesday, so then it looks like I just gambled on Wednesday. And then Beazer goes, oh, oh, I just saw the checking account. Oh you've been gambling. No, I mean actually technically I deposited a week ago, but the stupid site decides to delay it. It takes it from my account immediately. Yeah it's small soapbox. But then it puts it that it the transaction happened two days ago. Nope, I'm pretty sure I haven't bet in like five days.
Speaker 3: Okay, arrest my kids.
Speaker 18: It's sort of like when you charge your credit card in the uber. You wrote in the uber on Wednesday thank you, and the charge doesn't show up till Friday, and it's like, well, why were you taking an uber on Friday. No no, no, I took an uber on Wednesday from the airport, but it doesn't show up till Friday. I didn't actually get in the uber on Friday.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 13: I rest my case, but not fully. Also, when you go to a restaurant or a bar, it puts fifty five dollars charge, but it won't put the tip on there for four days later. But the tip was factored in immediately. Why can I not see that total that next morning when I wake up hungover?
Speaker 18: Also question, why does sometimes you look at your bank account, it's like, okay, you spent fifty four dollars at this restaurant. Then the next line is twelve dollars from that restaurant. They don't do it in one transaction. Sometimes they do it in two transactions, so they put the tip separately. Explain it to me.
Speaker 3: That I can't.
Speaker 13: The other one is, so say we see in the this is a pretty close to example. You see in the account eight hundred dollars. Baserwell pay a couple of things electricity, water, sewage, still says eight hundred dollars. Then she'll pay garbage eight hundred dollars. So then I log in we've got eight hundred dollars. Oh yeah, I'm gambling, baby. Oh no, no, no, no, There's five things I've paid for that hasn't gotten removed yet from the checking account. So the system in our checking account isn't advanced enough the second you pay for something to subtract it from that total, so I know the exact amount of money in my account.
Speaker 3: They're setting you up to overdraft. I don't know why they do that.
Speaker 18: I don't understand because sometimes I'll submit a reimbursement for work and I will say, okay, yeah, blah blah blah. We went to iHeart and Austin and I'm like, all right, yeah, this is the weekend I put the dates were there, and then I put my Uber receipt and they're like, that is not in the dates that you were there. And I'm like, dude, I can't help what the like how it comes through the transaction two days later like it was obviously in Austin. I live in Nashville. It was like, you can tell that I didn't go down there for a separate trip like a day later after I came back.
Speaker 3: And then I have to fill.
Speaker 18: Out a form that says this is why it says that it's like guys common sense.
Speaker 13: And also why to never share an account guys, this should be the explanation. So I don't get to see the savings account. The account is in both of our names, Raymonds Sisson and Laura Sison, and she sees our checking account. I see our checking account, she sees our savings account. I don't see our savings account. For all I know, we don't even have a savings account.
Speaker 3: So when you.
Speaker 18: Log in, the savings account doesn't show up when you log in.
Speaker 13: Correct, And we went to the banker and we said, hey, it doesn't show up that I have a savings account.
Speaker 17: I don't know.
Speaker 13: There's some glitch in the system. So you're probably gonna have to start a new account. Okay, So then we would cancel this entire thing, transfer our small amount of money. It probably pretty easy. You can do it in one transaction, and then the savings account's got to get transferred over all because there's a glitch in the system. To this day, I still don't see the savings account. So I send her a text, Hey, how's the savings account looking. I don't have access to it. I coach technology and sometimes there's advancements and sometimes we regress. I'm blown away by it right now.
Speaker 18: Takecare, dude. We have a little code box. You type in a code. Boom boom boom, check your kid in. And we have three kids. Boom boom boom, check them in, and when you go to get them out, hit your code.
Speaker 3: Check out, check out, check out.
Speaker 18: About a month ago, I go and I type in my code to check them out, and only two of.
Speaker 3: Their names are on there. Thought I had three.
Speaker 18: I said, I don't know if it's a big deal because I figured this is how you keep your numbers. But it only has two of my kids here, So can I check the third one out? And they're like, yeah, it's kind of a glitch. We're working on it. We'll get it back up and run out. I'm like, cool, yeah, glitches or bitches. Well guess what I went yesterday. It's been over a month. I still only got two kids on there, so their numbers are off every single day. There is no way they know what how many kids are at that school. Because one of my kids is unaccounted for every time I drop him off at school.
Speaker 13: Well, you just wan up me. That's actually terrifying. But if something happens, blame it on a glitch and they're just like, oh, we're working on it. Well a month later, guess what, we haven't fixed it. Yeah, banker, If my wife leaves me and just fy, I have no access so I can't even see the savings account.
Speaker 4: It's just a glitch.
Speaker 13: So what happens when my wife runs to Mexico and I'm trying to get access to the savings account that I don't ever see or it doesn't even exist in my account?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just a glitch.
Speaker 18: Hey, go to the divorce lawyer. So do you guys have any accounts? Yeah, we have a savings account. We why don't you pull me up the pull.
Speaker 3: That up for me, coach, Sorry sir, Well, actually I.
Speaker 18: Can't pull it up. So you're telling me that she's the only one that has access to that account.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, that's her account.
Speaker 18: Then, yeah, that's bad news. It looks like she's only one that can get money from that account. That's gonna be hard to prove in court.
Speaker 13: And then don't even get me started on our payment system here at work. If you want to log in to see a pay stub, Oh, my god, I've told Laura this course. She goes, She goes, hey, why can't you just pull it up on your phone? You don't understand. At work, we have to go through about eight different logins. Now they have it on a separate portal. You click on that portal, you click five times to finally reveal your pay stub, and then it's in Morris code.
Speaker 18: You can't freaking code. I go, hey, regular, pre post update, downsize? What held all these categories?
Speaker 13: What are you.
Speaker 3: Getting paid for?
Speaker 18: Ray?
Speaker 13: I also get one.
Speaker 3: Cold no uh endorsement.
Speaker 18: But then they don't tell you which endorsements you're getting paid for, so you don't even know if you got paid what you're supposed to get paid, because if you're doing a commercial for this place or this place, the salespeople just put it in there and you don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, then I get paid all of them. I don't know.
Speaker 13: But then the thing that really got me was a separate portal from the portal. So we go into one portal, then we have to teleport to another portal, and then finally to a third portal to finally once we portalize. But if you need something from a year before typically from taxes. You then have to de portal to another portal. Sometimes technology bends you over, takes a two by four and sticks it.
Speaker 3: Rock You want to hear another technology story, And I tell her, Honey, I'm sore.
Speaker 13: Why do you think I'm walking weird?
Speaker 18: That two by four didn't feel good. I went to a home improvement store the other day.
Speaker 3: Oh, welcome man, happy to do it? How happy and healthy? And that's a different store.
Speaker 7: That's that's shuddering.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I saw they're shuddering a lot of locations. That's not happy and healthy. That is just depressing and sad. And I am looking for this new I need a new faucet for the sink. And I find it on the website and it says it it's seventy four dollars. That's a good price. I find it on the aisle r it's made of gold, and it tells you it's on aisle five bend ten cool, perfect, go get it there. It's one hundred and ten dollars.
Speaker 3: It's a damn good drink.
Speaker 18: And I'm like, well, that doesn't make much sense. So I walk up to the customer service desk and I mean I literally type in the UPC code off the box and it pulls up exactly, so it's the same one. I know it's the same one. I do it twice to double check my work. And I go up to the count and I said, man, I'm a little confused. I said, on the website it says it's seventy four dollars. Now in the aisle says it's one hundred and ten dollars. She goes, let me take a look at that.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 18: She grabs a box, looks at my phone. She goes other different products, and I said said, no, no, no, I typed in the UPC code. She goes, no, she looks at it. She goes, no, it's definitely a different product. This one's different than the one you have on your phone. And I said, okay, we'll tell me the difference. She's well, I don't know what the difference is, but they're obviously different. That was the answer. I mean, I can't tell you why they're different, but they're different.
Speaker 19: Hey, it's Mike d And this week a movie Mike's Movie Podcast, I shared what I think are the top five final lines in film of all time. I did my research, so I'm going to share a few picks of mine with you here, but be sure to subscribe to my podcast to hear this entire episode. Here what took the top spots in all the honorable mentions. But right now, here's a little bit of movie Mike's movie podcast. So at number five from nineteen eighty five, Back to the Future, Doc played by Christopher Lloyd, has this final line in response to Marty.
Speaker 4: Hey, Doc, we've better back up.
Speaker 1: We don't have enough road to get up to eighty.
Speaker 19: Eight ROAs where we're going.
Speaker 15: We don't need roads.
Speaker 19: To have such an epic movie like Back to the Future, you need a great ending, and Back to the Future's final line completely nails it and sums up all the adventure in this film. I believe Back to the Future is a perfect film. I have a lot of movies I believe are perfect films for me that I would rate a five out of five. But maybe if I had to make a list, there are just ten perfect films of all time.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 4: Future is one of those movies.
Speaker 19: If aliens came down on this planet and had no idea what a movie was, I would show them Back to the Future because it has action, it has adventure. It has sci fi, although if you are showing this movie to an alien, they would be like, what is this ancient technology? You stupid humans? And then it has romance, It has some weirdness between guy and his mom. Yeah, it gets into every category you can imagine. I feel it is a perfect film and it embodies everything that I love about movies. For the most part, when I go back and think about this movie, this is always the quote that sticks out to me. And while putting together this list, I almost forgot that this was the fact final scene in the movie.
Speaker 4: What a great quote. That is why back to the future Rhodes, We're going.
Speaker 19: We don't need rhads is at number five at number four from two thousand and two Spider Man, who was played by Toby maguire. He is Peter Parker, he is Spider Man, and this is the final line of dialogue in that movie.
Speaker 20: Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words. With great power comes great responsibility. This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider Man.
Speaker 19: There are so many reasons why that is such a great final line. If you rewatch Spider Man from two thousand and two. The movie starts with him saying, who am I? Are you sure you want to know? And he goes into this little monologue setting up the entire story to come, and then it ends with that answering that question, stating it again, who am I?
Speaker 1: I am?
Speaker 4: Spider Man?
Speaker 19: I love Out of every superhero, I think he has the best hero journey and struggle of what it takes to be a superhero, all that he sacrifices of wanting to have love in his life, wanting to be with MJ but then also knowing his responsibility to the city of New York to be that friendly neighborhood Spider Man. I think that is such a great struggle. And director Sam Raimi did such a fantastic job with the storytelling in this movie to bookend it like that, to open asking that question and close it up by answering the question and then cutting to some great Spider Man swinging footage.
Speaker 4: And then you also.
Speaker 19: Work in one of the most memorable superhero quotes of time, one of the best mantras, with great power comes great responsibility, which we heard earlier in the movie spoken to him by his uncle Ben as he was passing away. So to bring that quote into this it is so perfect. It tells you exactly who Peter Parker and Spider Man is and also is foreshadowing of what's to come in two and how his story will be wrapped up in spider Man three. So I think that is such a great ending. And you think, with Spider Man being my favorite character, that would be number one, but you'd probably think that is where I would go, but not putting that one at number four.
Speaker 3: At number three.
Speaker 19: From nineteen ninety it is Goodfellas Henry Hill played by ray Leota. I just love it when movies and with a really big, important monologue, and that is exactly what happens in this movie. This is my favorite Martin Scorsese movie. It's the movie that turned Rayle Oda into a superstar. He played real life goodfella Henry Hill, and this you really everything you need to know about this character, who throughout the entire movie is doing everything in order not to live a normal life. It is what he hates the most in life. He doesn't want to wait in line like everybody else. He wants the best treatment, he wants to eat at the best restaurants, he wants to have the money, drive the car, live in the fancy house. And the worst thing you could do to a person like that is put him into witness protection where he has to be just a normal citizen. So I'll get into more of why I love this final line, but here it is from Goodfellas.
Speaker 12: Right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with Marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup.
Speaker 1: An average nobody.
Speaker 17: Get to live the rest of my life like a shnook.
Speaker 19: I love the touch that Scorsese put on the ending of this movie when well, first it flashes back to some things that happened in the movie. You have Joe Peshi shooting a gun at the screen, but right is Raliotic closes the door, you hear the sound of a jail celle closing. And I think that's such a fine little touch to add to this scene, because him going back into his house in the suburbs is basically him being in prison. Because at the time that this scene happens, he rat it on everybody in exchange for not having to go to prison, and even though he didn't go into a real physical prison, his home has now become that exact same thing, and like you said, he wanted fancy spaghetti instead he got egg noodles in Ketchup. I would always find myself saying that line. And this movie also starts with one of the best opening lines of all time, which is an episode for another day, but it embodies everything I love about a crime movie. The rise, Oh and then the fall when they fall so hard and you see him just standing there in his robes, so defeated. What a great line, What a great delivery from Ray Liota rip from nineteen ninety eight, number three.
Speaker 4: I have a good fellas.
Speaker 3: Carl Line.
Speaker 4: She's a queen and talking with a song.
Speaker 5: She's getting really not afraid to fings episode, so just let it flow.
Speaker 19: No one can do we quiet, Cary Line, It is sounding Caroline.
Speaker 21: Hey, y'all, it's Caroline Hobby from Get Real with Caroline Hobby. And here is a clip from this week's episode. You are really wonderful at sharing your story because like you're you have such a testimony for your life. But like you were married and your wife died four weeks before you went on American Idol, How did you must have the courage to do that?
Speaker 22: Well, there was a few things because quite honestly, I didn't want to go after that. I just when you lose someone, you feel like you amputate a part of your soul. And I don't know, you know, I know that we've all went through losses.
Speaker 14: Their wife. I mean that's like, that's serious.
Speaker 22: And if you think about, like the scriptures talk about that, you are one, right, so they're really the amputation felt so real. I didn't want to do it. I did want to do it because she's the one that got me to want to do it. But then the try was four.
Speaker 7: Weeks after her being so raw.
Speaker 9: Oh, it was absolutely and it was unexpected.
Speaker 21: Right, she went in for like her heart was beating really fast and like she had heart issues, but like nobody was expecting it.
Speaker 22: Hurt past her surgery had a ninety percent success rate, and I remember saying goodbye to her.
Speaker 7: I went to work that day.
Speaker 14: You thought it was going to be so routine, well not routine, but just like I knew.
Speaker 22: It was kind of a big deal because it's a heart surgery and it's always a big deal. But I didn't want to acknowledge that it was a big deal. And plus the doctor gave me enough confidence. I had my faith to stand on. You know, I think sometimes when we have our faith to stand on, you know, we can become oblivious to some situations. That's where I was. I mean, I was twenty seven. I didn't want to acknowledge that. So I went to work that day. I worked at the cheesecake factory, of all places, and I could barely.
Speaker 7: I think I was probably the worst server that day.
Speaker 22: Wasn't a good server anyways, you know, I just absent minded a lot of my mind and she I got the call and I that the surgery didn't go as well, went to the hospital, never went back to work again, stayed in the hospital. They put on an artificial heart. It was like a two week process, and when we prayed to all the tears dried up. I mean I had no tears left in my body. And she passed away unexpectedly. Going on the show for artificial heart put in. So what they do is they if your heart stop, if it stops working and it's about to lose it, to put you on a transplant list. They'll put you on an artificial heart, which is this huge machine. I forgot what they call it, and it's they put these they had these two tubes just in her chest, like doing the work of her heart for her.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 14: For her it only works in the hospital.
Speaker 22: You can't like live, could never live with it because this is massive. I mean, this is back in two thousand and eight, this massive machine, and it's basically pumping blood for you. And we won on the artificial we went on the transplant list. She never made it, and I was absolutely devastated, and it was the last year I could go on American automt So now I'm kind of answering your question. I went on American out of reluctantly because it's four weeks after her passing. Because if had I not done it then, and I told her I would do it, and she was excited for me to do it, then I would have no chance afterwards.
Speaker 14: He had twenty seven was the cutoff.
Speaker 22: Twenty eight, and I was going to turn twenty eight the next year, so August two thousand and eight, it was actually August eight, two thousand and eight was my first trial date. And eight means new beginnings if you look it up, like number, like numerology in the Bible anyways, and so I was like it kind of meant something to me thinking and it was the eighth season of American Idol. Like all these things, I just kind of, you know, run with day twenty eight. All things work together for are good. You know what I'm saying, Like things work together. And so I went on the show, took third place. But here's a good thing for me. Sorry, I'm pointing my finger at you, like listen here right here. I needed something bigger than me. Yes, yeah, I needed a bigger vision because when we go through depression, when we go through you know, a loss, when we walk through unexpected situations, we're disappointed to a place that almost like a root of bitterness is on the inside of us, and it's kind of poisoning us because we're just so bitter at how life turned out. I needed a bigger vision, going to La going on a TV show, sharing my story, the possibility of a music career, something I did music.
Speaker 14: I had hope.
Speaker 21: You had hope, and you had a place to put your pain that could serve others absolutely and yourself, and honestly, talking about stuff helps so much.
Speaker 22: The thing that I think, the more that we can forget about ourselves and focus on something else is a key to finding happiness, to finding purpose and a reason to stay alive, and go on the show with this mission of if I share my story, and of course I was walking it out, maybe they'll give hope to someone.
Speaker 14: You were just as raw as you could be.
Speaker 22: I mean, one of the someone who met me at my concert and said I had the gun out that day. She said, my my fiance committed suicide months earlier and I just couldn't live anymore. The TV's on in a different room. She's in a different with the gun, getting ready to commit suicide, and she hears a man crying on a TV.
Speaker 7: That that sparked her. It just kind of.
Speaker 22: It was that they were telling my story and it asked me questions about it, and she walked out. It's just piqued her curiosity for the moment, and she saw me share my story and she said from that point, she said, if he can make it, I can make it. I mean, this is one of many. So forgetting about ourselves. You know, what's the one thing in our culture. I think that maybe is putting us in a deeper pit. I know we are thinking about ourselves too much.
Speaker 21: And our feelings and how we feel about stuff and how it affects us.
Speaker 7: The ego and you're you're artist, right you saying country music?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I've been an artist sorts for.
Speaker 22: Yes, we are the top offenders because what do we do think about?
Speaker 21: You are your brand, You are your what you're putting into the world is you.
Speaker 7: And your art's and entertainment. This is where you are, This is where I am.
Speaker 22: We constantly have to be on We constantly have to be this thing because we want to keep people's interests. Because the moment we lose people's interests is the moment that part of our identity goes.
Speaker 7: And it's so and it's.
Speaker 14: Like, do you have value anymore? Or do you have earth anymore? Who am I?
Speaker 7: And so we think about ourselves more.
Speaker 14: And then you go into the whole why don't people like me? What do I need to do? What do I need to change? How do I need to like sing a dance to perform for you? So you love Megan?
Speaker 7: Why do you think I dance? And I'm no good at it? I'm no good at it?
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: If you heard a clip of something you liked, go go check it out, go subscribe.
Speaker 1: That would help us a bunch. Thank you have a great day.