Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's a clearinghouse of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mallard starts right now in the a.
Speaker 1: Every Way The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and my guy Danny g As we hang out with you on an NFL Sunday. It is week number two and still time to watch Benny Versus the Penny on regional cable television and streaming over there on Peacock. But it's all about the Fifth Hour podcast and what a fun time it is here the fifteenth day of September, as it is Butterscotch cinnamon Pie Day to day. I don't even know what that is. That it's National Cheese Toast Day. I've had cheese toast, but I don't know that we need that. And National Double Cheeseburger Day, I can go. I can go for that National double cheeseburger.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, double double it in and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's what a hamburger is all about. I remember the the jingle. We need to bring jingles back, Danny. I want to bring jingles back. Jingles are so effective in advertising. We've got to bring the jingle back. I need the jingle. I want the jingle. We'll get to the mailbag. I did want to mention the I saw this the other day. I was gonna mention this yesterday, and we ran out of time, so we'll do it. Do it today real quick. It blew me away, and it probably shouldn't have blown me away. But I was reading something about in one of the business one of the business websites. I was reading this thing about athletes and how they make money off the field, and then I saw this thing about Olympic athletes, and I was like, well, how do you really make money as an Olympic athlete? Because the Olympics only happened once every few years, and if you're famous for like a few months, you know what I mean. You know, you're not famous for that long usually unless you're like Jesse Owens or something like that. Right, And he made his money in that story. He was on Sportico he made his money in the laundry business. He had a dry cleaning company in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought you meant he laundered money.
Speaker 1: Well, but I would have been more successful. And then then on his day he turned you know, obviously he got a study paycheck, but he actually ended up filing for bankruptcy in nineteen thirty nine. He'd opened the laundromat, apparently nobody wanted to use it, and then he ended up filing for vacracy. But if you look over the years, Olympic athletes have been able to make a lot of money and record to this what I read as I remember, the way they are able to make money is corporate speaking. That's where they make most of their money. Olympic athletes, the way they make money and maintain money is the corporate speaking circuit. And they went into all these details about major companies like Coca Cola, Google, Apple that regularly bring in famous people to motivate do motivational speaking for their employees, and they were like explaining how Olympic athletes it's a natural because of Instagram and social media, people want to take photos with the gold medal. So if you got a gold medal. You're in right, and the yeah they they said that the speaking engagements these Olympic athletes get range anywhere from teen hundred dollars to twenty thirty, forty fifty, sixty, seventy and beyond for a single speaking engagement. Damn, there's a whole How do we get in on this, dandy? I could do a motivational speech if you want, I could pretend I could do motivational speaking. I got to get in on that. We got to figure out how to do that, a motivational speaking. And there's companies that all they do you don't really know who they are, but all they do is they provide these major Fortune five hundred companies and even smaller companies like you know the the Nights of Columbus Chapter or whoever, you know, the Grand Poohba Lodge, they provide speakers. So I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 3: And there's a friend of mine who he lives in Colorado and he speaks around the country. He makes a pretty good living. I should hook him up with you and you could pick his brain.
Speaker 1: That'd be awesome. Yeah, I would. I would love to do that. Not too often, I remember Terry Bradshaw when I when I worked with him years ago, Terry would do that. He'd miss the radio show and I'd be like, what are you doing, dude, And he said, well, I got a corporate gig in Dallas. I got to do it because I am in any He would mention Pat O'Brien, I think POB when he worked at our place. You know, Pat had the great thing about Pat. He's been on this podcast. No filter Pat, no filter, Pob. He would tell you everything. He'd tell you what he was doing. He would tell you how much he's making you know, which is which is great? I love I love Patt O'Brian. Whish you get him on again. Sometimes get him on the podcast. I haven't talked to him and forever. Let's get to the mail bag. What do you say? Mailbag? Mail bag? Mail bag, mail bag, let's effing go. It's bag. Thank you, Ohio, aw a great Ohio al. Hopefully I'll meet Ohio l Win in Ohio at some point. That's the plan twenty twenty five. We're gonna make that happen twenty twenty five. But these are actual letters by actual consumers of this podcast who have taken the time to become contest creators and for that we're grateful. For that, we're grateful. So the first one up is Mark in Providence. He says, Hey, guys, I've never called the show the radio show, obviously can't call the podcast, but I love your overnight callers. My vote for call of the Year is Sean the Hood Guy, he says, as a loyal p one of both this show, and he was talking about the radio show but also this podcast. He says he watches all of the Benny Versus the Penny episodes on Boston's NBC Sports Channel, Channel fifty five. On his local cable, he says, he all day this cat is he watches Zolak, Scott Zolac Show, Felger and Maz and then at six pm Benny Versus the Penny. Those are all the shows they hit their radio show simulcast on NBC Sports Boston. And then Mark says he also watches the nine to thirty pm replay and the episodes on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Wow, thank you Mark, that's awesome, Hollie. Hell, he ticked your ratings up all by himself.
Speaker 1: Mark got You're my favorite person right now in this moment, and I have been to Providence. I have been to Providence. We were there a couple of years ago. Beautiful capital of Rhode Island. Just a typical, nice New England Northeast capitol building, massive grass lawn in front, beautiful palatial capital right there in Providence. So very cool. I'm glad. I'm glad you listen. Thank you, Mark, I appreciate. Canadian Kevin writes and says, hey, big Ben and Danny, I wanted to ask you what happened on the radio show the other night when you're supposed to play the Malard Militia feud. You were about to play the game and then your show ended. Was this Coop's fault? Says Canadian can No, that was not actually Cooper Loop's fault. I'm going to blame and we talked about this yesterday. I think it was on the podcast It All Runs Together, Danny. This was wrecket Ralph whoever broke the microphone? Because I sat in the wrong chair, Canadian Kevin. I sat in the wrong chair. So my line of vision when I sit in the right chair, I'm looking at the clock. It's in my peripheral vision. I can see the clock and it's I don't always look at it, but I kind of can tell on my side eye. I can tell the clock right, but my vision was off because I wasn't facing the clock. I was facing away from the clock, and I had overestimated how much time we had. I started playing grab ass and then by the time I realized we didn't have any time, the thing the show so it ended. It was a disaster. It was a complete cluster. Yeah, that was bad, man. I was like, I was, really, I was pissed.
Speaker 3: Off all with the rapid radio people in there to see that.
Speaker 1: Fortunately not no they were, they were not there. But that was that A little tough. I was a little tough. Wasn't proud of that. I'm glad you brought that up. Canadian Kevin, thank you for having me remember that moment. Very embarrassing. Next up on the mail bag is Quinn Listener Quinn and Colorado. He says, Hey, Ben, just check it in, saying hi to you and Danny g. I am still a p one list he says. I catch your radio show live, but do it live when I can't sleep or on the podcast. After Logna, he says, is a great edition of the show. Have you worn the Military? The marine hat. I have the hat. It's it's right here. I think I have worn it. I haven't won it one time. I have a million hats, but I do think it's very sweet of you, Quinn. I appreciate that. And Quinn also wants the world to know and we're here to be the megaphone that my guy. Quinn a proud military man. He has a new son, new to the world named Max, three weeks old.
Speaker 3: How cool, congratulations, welcome to the club.
Speaker 1: And he attached the picture here and he says I laughed and woke him up the other day when hollering James came on. Oh boy, Max, that's too young, Quinn for Max to hear hollering James. My god. Oh yeah, yea. Anyways, says continue kicking ass. I'll totally go to a meet and greet if it's near the Denver area anytime. Well, thank you, and it is on my list to get to Denver. We do have a Mallard food dish in Denver, so I got to get to Denver at some point and enjoy. You've been. Actually, Dan, you were in Denver years ago, right, didn't you go?
Speaker 3: And yeah, I did go to Denver. It was a lot of fun. I even got to go to a Rockies game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is good because you just drink a lot and.
Speaker 3: You watch the other team beat up the Rockies.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You see a lot of home runs and things like that, and doubles and triples and all that. So thank you, Quen. I hope you're doing well when I know you've had You've had a few things. You've had to fight through as we all do in life, and I hope things are going good for you. It sounds like they are. You got a three week old son. That's awesome. Alf frights in on the mail bag from the Witness Protection Program. He says, well, this actually relates. He says, can you elaborate on the in season Malord meet and greet that you teased but never paid off? Yeah? So, Alf, there is something in the works. The wheels are turning. Nothing has been confirmed, but I have been contacted by some people that are like, they're big fans of the show and what we do here, and they're where they want me to come to their city and hang out and schmooze and possibly go to an NFL game. It is an NFL city. The problem I have and I'm trying to work out the logistics on this is I hate to miss time during the football season, Danny, as you know, and I've looked at the flights for the last couple of weeks and there is no scenario where I can attend said NFL game in this city and make it back in time for the show. And logistically, I don't believe I'll be able to do the show from that city. So I have to decide. Am I willing to take a night off during the football season in order to facilitate the meet and greet? But the wheels are in motion, oulf, and I'm hoping this will happen. I do not have it confirmed, so I'm not going to announce anything until till it's confirmed.
Speaker 3: No days after in the NFL season. My man, I know.
Speaker 1: I really don't want to take any time off, but at the same time, I want to do this because it'd be a lot of fun. It's a place that I would like to hang out at, and it's a game I would like to go to. So like, those are all cool things, those are all things that I want. So I'll let you know it would not happen for another What are we in September. It'd be at least a couple of months before it happened, So I'm sure Alfie'll fly out from from Massachusetts, right, you know? All Right? Mike in Fullerton writes, and he says, hey, Ben and Danny G. How did you guys deal with the recent triple digit heat wave in SoCal? Did you crank the AC blast the fans float around the pool or what I did? Cool off under one of the many trees in downtown Fullerton? Wow, He also says, our friend Mike and Fullerton. He says, I have to give props to Danny G's new coach, Antonio Pierce. That decision to punt on fourth and one in the fourth quarter was a real thing of beauty. As a Charger fan, I hope Pierce coaches the Raiders for a long time. And that was Yeah.
Speaker 3: Normally I like Antonio Pierce, but I had shades of Brandon Staley on that and some other decisions. I was like, are we the ones that have Staley now? And they suddenly have Harbaugh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was frustrating. I upsold the Raiders on the TV show, and in a very bizarre way, I actually thought the Raiders in many ways outplayed the Chargers.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. It was a strange game because in the first half, all right, they're just feeling out their new quarterback, Minshew, and everything will be okay because the defense is good. But that defense was out on the field for so long. Chargers started getting those chunk plays in the fourth quarter and that's what won the game for them. And of course the turnovers from the Raiders is what killed them. Uncharacteristically, they had penalties and the couple of turnovers best in the NFL, and both those categories tied for best in the NFL last season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, today the Raiders have the Ravens and everyone's like, well, if the JK. Dobbins ran for one hundred and thirty five yards and Lamar Jackson's gonna have two hundred and fifty yards in that game, I'm like, it's not. It's exactly how it works now.
Speaker 3: Dobbins runs harder than Henry does. Henry's one of those guys where he's like two hundred and fifty pounds and he runs like he's two hundred pounds. Dobbin's like a buck eighty five and runs like he's two fifty.
Speaker 1: Well, he had that sixty plus yard run whatever it was in the in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that that second half just unraveled. But I want to be aggressive. Come on, man, you're in their territory. It's a one score game. Nobody had ever done a move like that since I think I read the Bills in twenty sixteen. You gotta be aggressive and go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Don't coach safe coaches. The coach safe end up getting fired anyway. And like there's a balance to it. I get it. And the thing about this too, with the Raiders, you're projected to be one of the worst teams in the NFL. If you're aggressive and you get it, okay, you win the game, right, You have a chance to win the game if you If you don't get it and you lose, well you're gonna lose anyway.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Your mentality needs to be we have nothing to lose. Let's prove everybody wrong.
Speaker 1: And all these schmucks ripping my guy Gardner, minshew, all right, minshew, he he af fed up with the fumble. But and people are like, well, he didn't throw the ball down field enough. Well, the Chargers have a pretty good defense too, and You're not gonna get much better production out of Gardner Minshew than you got, so you can't. You gotta run the ball if you you can't expect Gardner Minshew. He had I think like two hundred fifty yards. He should have had a couple of touchdowns. He only had one, but he was efficient and he's averaged. That's an average other than the fumble, and that's a big that's a big cluster, right, I mean, that's a big no.
Speaker 3: Zamir White kept running into his blockers. The O line weren't exactly opening up big holes for him. Getsy was running some really vanilla plays there. You got to get a lot of motion going and that O line needs to bruise. And they do get that. Powers Johnson dude back for week two. So you're right, if they can get a run game going against the Ravens, that defense is good enough to win any game.
Speaker 1: Well, the biggest underdog on the board today. And then if you watch the TV show, I did take the Raiders plus the points, but I actually I'm not just doing that because I said before the year the Raiders are gonna be good. Lamar Jackson has he's had his issue. I don't want get too sporty here on the on the podcast, but Lamar's had his issues as a favorite covering the spread, he's played down to the competition. Now he does play up to the competition too, but he's often played down to it where the Ravens have. I had some issues at home, So we'll see what happens today, and thank you Mike for getting us down that rabbit hole. Barry from South Carolina. Yo, Yo, Ma, Benny, my guy Berry, who I met at the Charleston meet and greet, used to live in Nashville and he was in beautiful Charleston in South Carolina. He says, during Dick and Dayton's many phone calls, in veritably brings up some local radio names. He wants to know, how many of these guys do you actually know? My guess is when you say sure, sure, that means you have no idea who he is talking about. Yeah so so Berry, Yeah, yeah, you've met me, you know, you know, when you know, you know the real ones know, and you know, Barry, Dick and Dayton just starts spewing all these random names, and I have no idea that is, I know, I don't know. There's a fume that I do know only because they've come through LA and I've talked to like Joe Tait, who I don't think is around anymore, the Calves broadcaster, I know him, the guy that does the Cleveland Indians like. I know the names, like some of them i've met, but a lot of the local talk shows I have no idea there. But the great thing about Dick and Dayton is he does actually drop my name on other shows also, which I find hilarious. He's like, oh, I was talking to Ben and Eddie. You know I've heard him. I was driving through god years ago. I told the story a few times, but this goes back long long time. It's probably I don't even know the year, but it was in the odts. I'm driving from Pittsburgh, No, I wasting from Philadelphia Pittsburgh. So I'm driving through the middle of Pennsylvania. Beautiful country there in Pennsylvania, a lot of trees. I was driving at night, so I didn't see much. But I'm scanning the radio dial like a total nerd, just a radio nerd man old school scan into the dial, and we got some station out of Cincinnati that came in and it was like a if I remember correctly, it was like a coaches show, and Dick and Dayton calls into the show and he does the same shtick he does with me, and I was loving it. Is like the greatest thing in the world was it was awesome. It was awesome and I and the great thing about his cause is he does not watch any of these games. Well, he listens to some of them on the radio, but he really doesn't retain anything, which is which is wonderful. Anyway, thank you Berry. Next on the mailbag, we have Cincinnati Tommy on the mail bag. He says, hey, Ben and Danny g a bucket of Skyline Chili from the Queen City. He says, Ben, I'm not trying to be mean. Just a question. When you start out by saying I'm not trying to do something, what does that mean, Danny humph. It means you're trying to do it. It means you're trying to do it, is what it means, right, exactly, That's what it means. So anyway, well, I'm not trying to be mean. Blah blah blah blah blah, and uh yeah, anyway, he says, why would Fox Sports Radio hire a technical producer, he says, a technical producer who knows zero about sports. It would be like a podcast about Calculus hiring you as a color man. I'll see, that's a cheap shot. That is a cheap shot. That is a low blow by you. How dare you? Lorena's job, Tommy Cincy, Tommy, Lorena's job is to hit the buttons and make sure that we get all the commercials in and add a little cotton candy to the show. And she's very good at her job. And trust me, many of the people that work behind the scenes do not have the sports gene. They're not like big time sports people, but they're good at their jobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like Alex, who has filled in on this podcast. He's been on with the Odd Couple for six years and he doesn't know a lick about sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alex is the same way. It's like one of those guys he couldn't tell you if the football's puffed or stuffed. He doesn't know, and he doesn't care, right, He's like, hey, you know, I'm here, I got a job to do, and that's it. And then every once in a while, when you take a weekend off, Danny Alex comes in here and all hell breaks loose, right, you know, It's just he's talking about all kinds of craziness, you name it, where all its like doing Coast to Coast on the weekends on the pod. But now Loraine does a good job, and I think it's kind of funny that she's on there and she's she's trying to become sporty Lorena. But to be a sports fan you got to remember a lot of stupid bull crap, likes of coaches and star players and things like that, and so she's got a lot lot going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when she did her picks against Poppy.
Speaker 1: Never heard of them. Yes, Poppy who? Actually I give Poppy credit because last time we tried to do that, Danny he attempted to do his own show where he spent thirty minutes talking about each game, and I was like, oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 3: I heard about that. But the condensed version sounded really good this past Friday.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think that bit will work as long as we can keep Poppy in line and not have him go off the rails. Lorena is fine with it, so we'll see how that goes. Kevin and Kansas is near Ben and Danny G I recently helped someone get their first car. Guy got a twenty twenty three Dodge Charger. Oh that's cool, your first car is only a year old. Anyway, My first car was a seventy seven Caprice Classic. And then we get this question off and we don't answer it. All. We haven't answered this in a long time, so I guess we'll go quickly. Can you tell us about your first car? Danny, do you remember your first car?
Speaker 3: I do remember my first car. It was a Mitsubishi piece of shit. The model was like a boy. I can't even remember then because it was like off the radar, you know, like one of those mitsubishies where you see it and you're like, I never even heard of that car.
Speaker 1: It sucked.
Speaker 3: Color was silver, but it was beat up. It was pretty bad. But I did spend money as a kid to put a nice stereo system in it. Of course, I swear to God that stereo system was worth way more than the car.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, I had my first car. I was a car they don't make anymore. A here's this is kind of weird, Kevin. I also had a ninth I think it was a nineteen seventy seven. I believe seventy seven. As I remember, my grandpa Jack, Jack maller Man was from Chicago. He ran a garment business in downtown LA. And when I was a kid, my dad's dad and Grandpa Jack, we'd go over to his house and he had it at his place. Here there's like golf hole thing in his backyard, so we pretend like we were golfers. And then we'd go down to his factory. And this is back before all the I'm so old, before they moved everything to China and they made the clothes there and we'd run around this massive warehouse in downtown. It was awesome, great memories. And then it's just like out of a movie. He had this corner office that was upstairs, like above the factory, you know, call it. They used toy called the carpet, and it would be the boss's office because that was the only part of the place they had covering. And that was my grandpa's business there. But I got his old car, which was a light brown two door nineteen seventy seven Plymouth Valari a V L A R E. You can look it up, and I love that car. It smelled like my grand parents. I didn't care. I just loved it. It was great, it was wonderful. So that was that was.
Speaker 3: So from that to now a Lamborghini pulling into your parking space at NBC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got to decide do I do I do the Lambeau, Do I do the Beamer? Do I go with the Tesla? You know, it's the cyber truck. There's a lot of decisions. I have so many cars. I'm like Jay Leno. There's so many cars out there. It's very difficult. All right, last one. We'll get out on this. On the mailbag, Fred from Spring Texas right since, says, Hey, guys, when I was a kid, I came up with the names I would use if I went into professions like show business or if I was working undercover as a spy. Did either of you ever think of alternative names you might use in the future. If not, can you think of any? Now that's from Fred? Well, yeah, as a kid, you know, I wanted to be on the radio, and so I thought maybe i'd be some DJ. You know, I have my DJ boy, you know, and I'd be like Benny rock It's Benny Rocky here, come on, you know something like that. I had a bunch of stupid names that we had. Danny, did you have the fake name? I have used the fake name on the radio. The fake name I used was Ben Waller. That's because back in the day, the La Times used to have a radio TV critic and everyone read The Times, and the guy wrote this review of saying I was a rising star and then misspelled my name, so he called me Ben Waller and so on the air, I called myself Ben Waller when I did I had to do updates on the show, so I said, I'm Ben Waller. I like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I was on NBC Sports Radio Network doing national updates, we had to also sometimes do Bloomberg reports, and you know Bloomberg News. They're very serious out of New York and San Francisco and some of the major cities in our country. That particular day I had to do Bloomberg San Francisco. Their program director told ours that I couldn't use Danny G on their news network, So I had to quickly think of what the G stood for. I went by Danny Grayson that day. If you don't know Grayson, look up Batman.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was the that was the one that was I am I am Batman's partner. All right, well look at that, all right Sunday, Danny, you will you'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I'll be yes, yes, yeah, yeah, I know You're back tonight to react to week two of the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'll be in the the audio dojo. They're hanging out with you eleven o'clock in the West and then two am and the East will be on all night yapping about all things NFL. Enjoy the game today, see how I do against the Penny, and we will catch you next week on this podcast. I'll catch you in a few hours tonight, depending when we listen to this on the on the radio show. And don't forget at the last few hours to hear and watch Benny versus the Penny today. We'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 3: Later.
Speaker 1: Skater gotta murder.
Speaker 3: I gotta go.