Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And a glorious Monday morning to one and all out there. This is Mick Shots inside the Brands Banking SWBC podcast studio here at the beautiful Star in Frisco, and Bill Jones, Everson Walls turn and wave at the camera. Everson and the star of our show, Mickey Spagnola. We are all back here in Frisco.
Speaker 2: This is nice, fine, this it's really nice. I had no idea.
Speaker 4: They kept telling me, people were sending me pictures, but this is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: We got the studio, of course we do.
Speaker 2: I don't know about the rest of them.
Speaker 3: Ever since, just complaining we're seeing in the back of his head.
Speaker 2: It's a good look.
Speaker 4: I got good hurt, i'd be blind and everybody with my bald spot.
Speaker 3: Now Eversin doesn't have a bald spot.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: I've discovered that I do have one back there, and so we got here first. Ever since, so we sat.
Speaker 5: In the gard.
Speaker 3: All right. You know what, I'm thinking that the Cowboys got out of California just in time. Yes, it's like it looks like the Good Lord was looking over this team and said, okay, you schedule training camp until what would have been August eighteenth. I'm sending you to Seattle at that point. And then here comes a tropical storm and an.
Speaker 2: Earthquake and an earthquake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which, by the way, but by the way, it struck the earthquake in Ohi, which is right next to Oxnard in Ventura. And I checked on my friends that live in Oxnard, and I said, well, what did it feel like? And they said it felt like I was on a big wave that they felt that it.
Speaker 5: Was raining and it happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, they were getting wet and there was an earthquake.
Speaker 3: And in fact, think about it, if this would have happened a week ago, the Cowboys wouldn't have had any practice at all out there this week. Well, it sounds like with the flood and flooding that's going on there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not many hurricanes come through southern California.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's it's rare.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: The good thing with the earthquake. They didn't have a tsunami either. Yeah, right, because you know we're only like five miles from the ocean where the practice fields are.
Speaker 5: So you guys left straight from Seattle.
Speaker 3: Ye, the Cowboys broke camp on Friday and flew to Seattle and then came from at all.
Speaker 2: And a charter home six am.
Speaker 3: Seven am here. I wasn't on the charter. I was on a red eye though.
Speaker 2: Now it was six am when we got in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seven am for me, and then an hour and a half before I found out my bag wasn't getting on.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to find out today if my bags.
Speaker 3: Made the truck. So here we are starting a new week, and training camp continues here at the Star in Frisco on Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday afternoon, free and open to the public. You can watch this team and it's it's great to say. And also you'll be able to watch them as well than the Tuesday night practice, which will be Cowboys Night right here and on t X at one locally in Dallas Fort Worth.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so we'll get to see first steamers on the field or spans you can see first steamers on the field.
Speaker 2: What you didn't see pres exactly right?
Speaker 3: You want to start? Where would you like to start with the bad news?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, and of course there were two major injuries, and get an injury update from Mickey otherwise as well. But the two major ones demarve on Overshowing, the linebacker, as well as John Stevens Junior, the tied end, both with ACLS suffered on Saturday night, and so they're both lost.
Speaker 7: With both, you couldn't You couldn't tell now based on the play what exactly.
Speaker 3: And to Marvion, I mean he started to get up and then he reached for his knee. He didn't feel it until he started to get up, but then he walked off under his own power, that true.
Speaker 4: Power, and then they went into the tent. The next thing we know, they were carting them into the locker room.
Speaker 5: And then with.
Speaker 4: John Stevens, I don't I didn't even see when he got hurt, but I saw him walk into the locker room with doctor Muller and it was like.
Speaker 2: Well, that doesn't look to too bad.
Speaker 3: But then well it was right off the line of scrimmage who had a replay of it did and then he was basically hopped off the field.
Speaker 7: I was thinking maybe he ran up on the back of the guy in front of him that was trying to block, or who was trying to pursue the play right, and maybe he got kicked in the in the shen and then a bad step.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, the sad part of it is is Overshawane was playing awfully well. Obviously, third round draft choice, he's going to make the team, right, but he was going to get playing time. He was going to be on every special teams unit. Uh, they were going to work him in on the nickel defense at the other linebacker position.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was gonna he was going to have a role on this team.
Speaker 4: And uh, he was playing awfully, awfully well. Now as for John Stevens, Uh, he was going to make a make it a difficult decision if they think that they could get him on to the practice squad. But he was showing so much, I don't know, awfully talented. But how many tight ends can you keep on a team, you.
Speaker 3: Know, truthfully from an experienced standpoint at the tight end position. I mean, you went into camp thinking he's the fifth on the depth chart, right, and even though he had shown things early from an experienced standpoint, depending on how many you're going to keep. And if you look at McEwen as okay, can he be more? Can you can you keep him more as like the h back you know, full back type and which would allow you to keep numbers, wise keep more. But he was likely, you know, if everyone stayed healthy. The four guys in front of him being Ferguson, schoon Maker as well as Hindershott and McEwan. There's your four more experienced ones in front of him, and so it was going to be tough for him to make that fifteenth right.
Speaker 4: And then it might have been tough to get him onto the practice squad if somebody needed a tight end.
Speaker 3: Only saving grace on that would be With the new rules this year, they are no cuts prior no mandatory cuts prior to after the last preseason game, and so everybody's cutting from ninety down to fifty three and so they're I mean, think about there's thirty seven players from every team in the league that's out there, and this year you might be more likely to slide a guy to the practice squad, but keeping him there and not having someone pick him off at some point during the season might be troublesome.
Speaker 4: And then the good thing is he's never played tight end before. That first preseason game was the first time he'd ever played tight white.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and see from that standpoint, other teams, I mean, they're in the same boat the Cowboys are. They understand, they scout, they know John Stevens was a wide receiver in college. They look at him probably even more so of a developmental player than we do here because we've we've seen him in practice every day and so forth, and seeing how he's making the progress.
Speaker 4: And the tough thing making the transition is not the receiver. Part of it is blocking. Right, If you're going to put him out there, is he every time he goes out, Does that mean he's a receiver?
Speaker 7: Well, because he's never bounced to block, you're going to get injured. Well, sitting he was a wide receiver. Now you got to the mix.
Speaker 3: Well six, he's got the building, he's got right, And here's what's going I think's gonna happen with him. Now he's going to be he's gonna rehab and hopefully it's just the simple acl where uh he'll be able to take part in uh a full off season. I mean anymore, the a cls are considered basically six month injuries, and uh, he'll be able to and he'll be in that weight room. And he's listed at six six two forty five now, and I don't think he'll lose any athleticism being six six two fifty and you know, and uh, I think he was not going unless there were matt of injuries at that position, he was not going to get much playing time even if he made the fifty three.
Speaker 7: This to me, just like there are a lot of tight ends on the Cowboys. We've talked in the last couple of years about all of the talented tight ends that have come out of the NCAA in the last couple of years. I think he'll be I think they've got enough tight ends.
Speaker 5: No, they do on their own squad.
Speaker 2: But it was just a guy that had a dimension to it.
Speaker 4: When he was running down the hash near the goal line, you know, linebacker can't stay with him, and the safeties are probably too small and he could body up on him.
Speaker 5: Doubt.
Speaker 4: So I was going to ask you if you recall his father, John Stevens Senior, was the first round draft choice of the New England Patriots. In nineteen eighty eight as a running back, first round, seventeenth pick. He gained one thousand yards his first year. You don't recall, I don't you know. We were having our own problems in the ages. We were trying to win a game, right, That's what I recall. No, I don't recall him at all.
Speaker 2: So he's got good geens.
Speaker 5: He does what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Did you say that he made the Pro Bowl in eighty eight, Yeah, as a rookie. Yeah, as a rookie with the Patriots. A passed away several years ago. John stevens half sister is Sloan Stevens, the tennis person.
Speaker 2: I yes, yes, I know there's some family.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Mom was a track star in college and dad obviously running back.
Speaker 2: But his his his birth mother was a.
Speaker 4: Star athlete in high school in the world.
Speaker 5: Said his.
Speaker 4: His birth mother is from Yeah, Louisiana, and.
Speaker 3: Sloan when she was growing up being such a tennis player, they moved to Florida where she trained for tennis as a teenager. And so she's would be what like seven or eight years older than John. So they didn't grow up together. But I talked to John Stevens after the first preseason game and he says, yeah, they text a lot and stuff. So, uh but anyway, I mean, he's he's a guy that now red shirts, and uh, there's a real good hope for the future that he's he has a good future in the NFL. And the same goes for overshow now he's a red shirt player and hopefully his ACL is like others. I mean, I would love for Michael Irvin to talk with demarve on Overshown and tell him, tell him this is what happened. Early in my career. I suffered an ACL injury and then I came back, and yes, you can have a Hall of Fame career, that Hall of Fame career, even when you suffer an injury like that.
Speaker 7: I happen to be there for obviously for some of that with Mike Lovin and man, I just remember coming in the off season and he would just be sitting in.
Speaker 5: The whirlpool just looking sad.
Speaker 7: And I remember we talked one time because I thought he was how Mike is, He's so emotional and so when you talk at that time, he was really down. God, that hurt him so much. And I remember in the off season one time. We just sat down and talked. He wasn't in the whirlpool. He was in a sauna. We talked for a little while and I don't know, I just you know, told him to hang in there. No big deal, but you know, just I just remember that moment. But soon after that he was on his way.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you know what, I have this vision of him. So I was living in Carrollton at that time. He was too, And I'm coming down Trinity Mills one morning heading here, and all of a sudden, in the median of the road, there's this big black man on a big, tall bicycle and it's Michael Irvin. He's biking to the ranch, right, and I'm going look at this site, and he's, Yo.
Speaker 3: You need to talk to right.
Speaker 2: That's right, and get him a bike.
Speaker 3: Okay, he can. He can ride the bike to have his injury.
Speaker 4: So the other injury they suffered in the game, Uh, well, let's well, let's.
Speaker 3: Go the Matt Willis.
Speaker 2: Matt, let's go.
Speaker 4: The offensive tackle. Uh suffered a shoulder sublexation. You know, that's what he had on the left side last year that eventually needed surgery.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Since this is a sublexation, meaning it goes back in after it dislocates.
Speaker 2: Uh, we'll see the severity of it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, when they lost him and then red Wine, I mean he's a veteran guy, right, I think.
Speaker 3: The shed fourth fourth year Miami.
Speaker 4: Had a hamstring and he had to leave the game. So, uh, I knew when I did it my column on Friday, I wrote that this was a near perfect training camp.
Speaker 3: Well why did you do it? Then?
Speaker 4: I know, but I but I put a disclaimer in there and said, you know, I have said, you know, they didn't suffer any injury.
Speaker 2: That's you know, season ending or the guy has to start off that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, next day blame blame mix shots. But I I put a disclaimer of the paragraph after and said, no, now this doesn't mean, you know, knock on wood. I'm not trying to jinx anything. And I'll be darn it was what the first quarter when he got hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for for overshown, it was the seventh defensive play. He made three tackles, three tackles the first seven snaps of the game and he was done.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So so that that's that was the injury update that we know of in that game.
Speaker 7: So please tell me. My concerns are they're very heavy on me. Uh, I'm worried about the kicking game.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what we're gonna do.
Speaker 5: Please do We'll talk.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take them break, We'll talk about the kicking game. And there's much more to get to as far as the second preseason game in Seattle and looking ahead the preseason game number three, but more importantly, looking ahead to the regular season opener, which is now less than three weeks away. Mix Shots continues in a wonderful new SWBC podcast studio In just a moment.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 5: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 6: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, trust it by America's.
Speaker 8: Team the Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor and combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War, in four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and ods with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 9: We know that GC Cheesygrilled of Perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Fcbaby the yin to this Burger's Yang Burgers and PEPSI go together like well like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing, ice cooled Kola a journey to fotopia. Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 5: That's what I like.
Speaker 2: I'm Doug to mixed shots.
Speaker 4: Kate Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofing company of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: He said that so professionally, and he looked down as if he was reading a copy that was right off the top of his head. That was great and a great way to kick off a new season in a new SWBC podcast studio, as the team is back here at the Star in Frisco again, practices on Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday afternoon free and open to the public, and then prec in Game number three against the Las Vegas Raiders is Saturday night at at and T Stadium. The playmaker Michael Irvin scheduled to join Isaiah standback in the Oh High week they stand, but it's the traditional final preseason game. That's where Michael loves to join us in the booth and talk all things Cowboys. We don't talk so much about they playing in that game. We're talking about the guys that are on the sideline and the rest of the league.
Speaker 4: And there were twenty six guys who did not play in that game on Saturday night in Seattle, sort of the same number they had the previous week. And so what you saw in that game was a bunch of second team thirt team guys, second team guys on that offensive line that are trying to make this team because they need some backup offensive linemen.
Speaker 3: I had a lot of first teamers on that other side the first half of that gaming, right seeah.
Speaker 2: And they played pretty well against the.
Speaker 3: They had an offense. The most impressive thing I think about the offense was the eighty yards seventeen drive against what was it was probably two thirds of the defense were first teamers out there for Seattle at that point in the game, and.
Speaker 7: So they were able to work on strategy, you know, the third down situation and the pretty good yeah they made like three or four yeah that drive.
Speaker 3: I think I had a fourth down conversion and maybe three third down conversions in the pass out to Rico Dabble and take what the defense gives you. And as we said on the telecast, that's there's your Texas Coast offense, you know, And.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things.
Speaker 4: I think you're going to see more of the little swing passes to the running backs and just use the talent you have if you're if you don't have somebody that's going to bang in the middle all the time, don't hit your head against the wall. Try and just figure out what your talent is and use it. As Cooper Rush said after the game, he goes, when I was asking him about the drive, and he goes, well, the good thing was as we were third and manageable.
Speaker 5: Most That's exactly what it was.
Speaker 4: Yes, And it wasn't like your third and seven, third and eight, because at that point, you know, there might be some guys on that off second offensive line that are capable of getting on the fifty three as a backup, but when they play, they're not playing with four other backups, right, and so their past protection wasn't all that great, but they figured out how to kind of play call around their limitations. Yeah, that was an impressive an impressive drive, especially for Cooper Rush to have that opportunity to show hey, I'm still the second guy.
Speaker 5: How about little Deuce, how's he doing?
Speaker 2: He's living the life right now. You know, he's amazing.
Speaker 4: And the things I noticed, and you know you're a defender, but he sees things so well, like the touchdown he saw and he's patient. Right the hole opened, he gets in the hole, puts his foot in the ground and made number thirty two. I think it was read just look foolish because he kind of olaid him right with one arm trying to tackle him.
Speaker 2: And he can change directions.
Speaker 7: On it because his feet is so quick on a dime, when you keep your feet on the ground, then you're able to do that. And that's that's just how he runs. But he can also run like that at full speed. Right, That's what's scary about it as a as a defender. You know, when you say, have those feet on the ground, they can change direction much quicker than you can.
Speaker 5: Right, and his maneuverability, of course.
Speaker 7: With him being shorter than you, that has an advantages.
Speaker 2: And he is the WA's crazy.
Speaker 7: I looked at my wife and I said, he's one inch taller than you.
Speaker 5: Let's just think about that.
Speaker 2: And he's one inch shorter than me.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: And yet he's a powerful He's got a powerful lower body, and I mean you look at his legs and you know they're not Robert Newhouse big, but they you know, you can see, Yeah, he can run between the tackles, you know, in certain situations, and he made a living doing that in college at Kansas State.
Speaker 5: He's going to have to. Someone's gonna have to.
Speaker 3: And you can just see that that he's gonna he's gonna make an impact on offense his rookie season. You know, Brian Schottenheimer was in San Diego when Darren Sprolls came into the league, and he was talking during training camp that, you know, we had a plan for Darren when he came out. And I saw that, you know, and we can use some of that stuff. But I went and looked up what Darren Sprolls did his rookie year and what two thousand and five with the Chargers. Well, he didn't do it, hardly anything on offense. He it was later in his career. Uh, he had I think he had three carries and maybe two catches his rookie year and in San Diego, of course, they had lt carry the bulk of the load there and then he was hurt his second year, as Sparles was, but he got incorporated more and more in the offense as they went along. I think Deuce is going to be more involved offensively. They'll have packages for him right off the bat his rookie season. And the league has evolved a little bit in that way in the last eighteen years since Sparls came into the league.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't like in college at k State, he was a gimmick, you know, he was the running back he was.
Speaker 2: He scored forty three touchdown He.
Speaker 3: Had better stats than be Jean Robinson in this draft if you look at Power five running backs coming into this draft and statistically what they did in college. And he was there for three years, just like Robinson was, and they were neck and neck as far as their production in college.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think we're past the gimmick, you know, past the while his dad's the scout, he's shown I think he's a football.
Speaker 3: Player and other teams are going to be sitting there going how did he slide to the sixth round?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 3: What did they know about him that we didn't know? Well, they had his dad and on those lines. It's his makeup that puts him ahead of the game. I mean, he's he's so smart. You can tell he's been around football his whole life, professional football in the family. And you know, he comes in here and he's just like one of the veteran guys walking in the room.
Speaker 4: And he's not using his size or anything to like make excuses. When they interviewed him after the game, the first thing he said, well, you know about the touchdown, he goes my offensive line and that's what he does my offensive line.
Speaker 2: You know, the offense helped me do this, but it's not me.
Speaker 7: When you're that size, then it's pretty obvious that you need some assistance.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a humility and when you look at I think I always think of Joe Watson him when I see a player like Deuce, because Joe was able to especially when he got with the Redskins, he was able to hide behind some of the biggest offensive linemen you've ever seen.
Speaker 5: That was his goal. That was his skill. It wasn't that he stumbled into that.
Speaker 7: That's what guys his size they used that to their advantage. They go from blocker to blocker and they conceal themselves until it's time for him to make them bursts.
Speaker 4: And he had a lot of speed, by the way watching him in college.
Speaker 3: But Deuce has a maturity about him that allows him to write off the bat in this league make an impact. By the way, Joe Washington, how tall is he listed? What was his high Maybe he's they list him five to nine, so heast four inches taller than that's and he was a by the way, Joe Washington was the fourth pick in the draft in nineteen seventy six of the San Diego Chargers, really nineteen seventy six before he went to Baltimore, and then.
Speaker 5: He must have gone directly to Baltimore.
Speaker 3: It was two years in San Diego and then Baltimore.
Speaker 4: San Diego after he scored that senior year phantom touchdown against Missouri to win the game.
Speaker 2: Never did get in the end zone.
Speaker 3: By that's because he's so fast.
Speaker 2: He was so fast they couldn't tell it was out before that.
Speaker 4: That that's why I threw it.
Speaker 3: Okay, we had a tease coming into this segment from Everson and Eversin is concerned about the kicking.
Speaker 2: Kids.
Speaker 3: You were you were concerned about the kicking situation before we went to so True and that was before Brandon Aubrey was even signed to the team. And you're still concerned. Have been watching the software engineer?
Speaker 5: I watched, I watched.
Speaker 2: He's talented, he is, and you know what, they like him.
Speaker 5: So what took so long for us to find it?
Speaker 3: Fell?
Speaker 4: And they went to the championship game, so it took they were they already found him. They were just sitting on them when they kept talking about all those.
Speaker 7: Other guys that we had kicking out there embarrassing themselves.
Speaker 4: There was only one guy out there, Tristan, that was it?
Speaker 5: What about the guy?
Speaker 7: No, it was an old guy in practice who missed like four kicks.
Speaker 5: No, come on, that was a guy in training camp that missed like that?
Speaker 2: Was that was Visuyana. Oh that's bad, that's why he got cut. Yeah, and then when.
Speaker 3: He hits he get too too many into the broadcast booth that was located ten yards to the left of the gold person and the practice that.
Speaker 5: We once guys that protection.
Speaker 2: Well you remember last year Campo.
Speaker 3: Got hit by I came close to getting hit.
Speaker 4: Once they cut Fris Guyano. This kid never missed more than one or two kicks. During a serial he's in any of the practices in including the games.
Speaker 2: He would miss one one one.
Speaker 4: I think I saw it ended up forty three of forty nine on all kicks.
Speaker 11: What was that kicker from last year's And he's gonna be the kicker because I think the other guy got hurt fry they let him go, whether.
Speaker 2: They at least injured. Yeah, And I just saw he's doing well.
Speaker 5: Is he doing well?
Speaker 3: I haven't paid attention, but he is.
Speaker 4: I saw make one on I was watching the game and he made an extra point or whatever. Progress this kid, This kid has talent.
Speaker 5: I did work for us Man, you know, he's my favorite.
Speaker 4: This kid has talent, and he's got the right composure. Now it's a matter of he just has to keep being consistent.
Speaker 3: He's booming balls through the end zone.
Speaker 4: On kickoffs before the game against Seattle in warm ups and it was snap hold kick he hit from fifty one and fifty five. So he's got the leg. He's had touchbacks on almost every kickoff. I think did he coick that one short on purpose? There was one return in the game, wasn't there. I remember late in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say he did it on purpose. We didn't take a look at these guys.
Speaker 5: So my thing is he just finished with the USFL, yes.
Speaker 3: Years, two years of the Birmingham Stallions. He was a soccer player at plain O High School. At last time that he played football before his time with the in the USFL with the Birmingham Stallions the last two years. The last time he had played football was as an eighth grader at Shimmel Finig Middle played.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, and I think he was like a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was a wide receiver and they don't usually kick.
Speaker 5: So he is talented, yes, and he was afraid of.
Speaker 3: The first round pick, first round pick in the MLS draft the Toronto Wow really, oh yeah, impressed to another first rounder on this Cowboys roster.
Speaker 7: So now his last game for the USFL when was that Birmingham?
Speaker 3: It was in their championship, which was what end of June versus July whenever that was.
Speaker 4: And then they had to wait a period to be able to sign somebody from the USA.
Speaker 5: Do kickers get leg fatigue?
Speaker 4: He only hit He hit fourteen or fifteen field goals during the USFL season, so it wasn't like he old kicked and on kickoffs, if you think about it, in the USFL, they wouldn't let him kick. You got penalized if you kicked off past the twenty yard line.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he didn't have to do that either.
Speaker 3: So he's perfected the high on side, the deep on side kick that it's going to be a part of this NFL game. Now, that's right with the fair catch rule.
Speaker 4: So and he's he's got the right nature right, and he's been schooled in his last year at Birmingham by Chris Bonile, who was the special time coach there, and so he was able to So.
Speaker 3: We should have pieced this all together even back. Therefore, Yeah, I'm sitting there watching I watched the USFL championship game because I'm so proud of the product that Daryl Johnston has put together. And I watched the game too. I'm saying that somewhat facetiously, but there is a glimmer of truth in this that I'm thinking of DJ as I'm as I'm watching that game, like, man, he's really done a great job with this league. But I was also saying, cowboys that need to be looking for kickers in this game. And sure, enough they were.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, Fossil was on to him during the middle of the season. I was going to ask he didn't just come, He actually went and watched the game.
Speaker 3: Well, he had worked out here with a once he figured out his wife convinced him to give football a shot. As they're sitting on their couch in Collieville, he was a software engineer and his wife they were watching an NFL Sunday and she said to him, you can kick better than these guys. And that's what planted the seed for him to go pursue this career as an NFL kicker. A couple of years ago, I think Dak actually watched him kick out here in Frisco.
Speaker 4: And he started working with John Carney. John Carney's on the West Coast and does kicking camps. And because John Carney, how about this. John Carney was at Notre Dame when Skip Holtz was a freshman. He was the head coach at Birmingham, so he recommended him to skip in the USFL because they only get forty five guys and they didn't have the opportunity. As Aubrey was explained to me, to have like a kicking contest. It was like, you only had one spot for a kicker because we need other players.
Speaker 2: And so that's how he got the job. It wasn't like a tryout.
Speaker 4: And so when he was in the competition with Viscuyano, that was the first time he was in any kind of kicking competition.
Speaker 3: So do you feel better about the kicking situation now?
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, I guess until until you guys until Saturday to remember how we love you guy last my guy last year, and then all of a sudden he goes crazy.
Speaker 4: Well, but for the regular season, he made ninety Mayer made ninety percent. Right, So when when the Cowboys signed him, I saw it and I'm going, okay, you got just another guy, right. I get a text message from Chris Bonill you just signed my guy just like that. I didn't realize that he was there. Uh, And so when I talked to Chris about it, I said, now the hard thing for the Cowboys, they're spoiled. The kicker made ninety percent of his field goals, you know before the thing in the playoffs, right and from distance? And I said, where do you find that? And Bonio goes, my guy made ninety two percent.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: Just a review. Maher during the regular season last year was twenty nine out of thirty two, ninety one percent extra points. Who's fifty for fifty three? We just were in Seattle and they've had the Pro Bowl kicker Jason Myers, and he was thirty four out of thirty seven last year. He just missed three also last year, So Maher was that close it was. The problem was once he got to the clutch situation, all of a sudden, it was those yips that happened. Wow, extra points.
Speaker 2: Think about it.
Speaker 4: If the Cowboys don't qualify for the playoffs, this guy signing a three year deal for nine million dollars, I guarantee you if it just go off the regular season.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue with more mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor and combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away. Put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 5: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 6: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, trust it by America's team.
Speaker 3: Hey Cowboys, Fins, Ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kiero guacamola be the game day hero.
Speaker 2: Yo kiro means I want and we know you want.
Speaker 3: Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertsons or Tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiiero, Yo Kiero Guacamole.
Speaker 7: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and od's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 2: To Mixed Shuts.
Speaker 3: Miller Light is the sponsoring company for Mixed Shots throughout this season. Yes, they love you, Mickey and Miller Lyte. We need to have some Miller Lights in the official the official beer of the Dallas Cowboys transition.
Speaker 5: I'm not professional, but that didn't sound.
Speaker 3: To concerns coming out of Saturday Night in Seattle.
Speaker 2: I think one of the most un.
Speaker 4: Qualified concerns right because my concern is backups on the offensive line. They've got to find three guys that can back up at center, guard, and offensive tackle. Now we'll see where we'll let's go is with his shoulder, But they like awesome Richards as a tackle.
Speaker 2: They've played him at both spots. Built in the game, he ended up I think in the fourth quarter playing guard. You know, he's a fifth round pick.
Speaker 4: When you looked at who they had on the offensive line, he had played the most football of any of them last year at North Carolina because the rest of the guys were either on the Cowboys practice squad or they were on injured reserve, or like Josh Ball, he played forty one snaps. Well, he's already played more snaps in two preseason games than he did all last year. So they got to figure out what they're going to do at the backup center, and I think Forniac has played the best there. Now they've got to figure out who's the backup guard. They tried this brock Hoffman. He had started at center. He didn't do very well there. They moved him to go guard. I thought he struggled at guard uh in the game. So Tuma a Doga has been hurt, hurt almost the all preseason, and I thought he was struggling before he got hurt.
Speaker 3: You know who's lining up against and he's playing left tackle, like number eleven.
Speaker 5: All I've seen is Number eleven just breaking stuff up. He has, that's all I've seen.
Speaker 4: Has rude more practices because they can't block him, and you got to sit there and try to qualify. Is it because of the guy's lack of talent or Parsons because he's doing that to everybody else in the league. So we'll see when he gets back. But I just think he's a guard. I don't think he's a tackle.
Speaker 5: So you can't go on with Michael Parsons is doing to him.
Speaker 4: No, he does, yeah, but at guard, I don't know that he was all that. I mean, he was never a full time starter in the league. I think he started one year. So that's my concern. The depth on the offensive line. Now, here's the deal. If something happens to a tackle Tyler Smith long term is your backup tackle, right, you move him out. But you got to find a guy worthy of starting at Garth. And I think that's what they need to work on here in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have two minutes left here. I want to get your take. Very quickly on Will Greer coming out of that game.
Speaker 4: He was one pass away I think from convincing this team that he needs to be on the fifty three man roster.
Speaker 2: I thought that's what he was playing for.
Speaker 3: And that pass was the interception at the goal line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was laid on it.
Speaker 4: I thought I didn't get a chance to go back and look at the route to see if the wide receiver sold him out or not. But he should have never thrown it. I don't think that. But I thought the way he performed with what he had to work with was pretty darn good.
Speaker 3: I think I think his fans sometimes we see the interception. I know I did this. I saw the interception, and I forgot about the drive to start the second half where it was boom boom, boom boom all the way down the field and then hand off to Douce and he scores a touchdown.
Speaker 4: And remember this guy, he was hurt last year in training camp and the last time he would have played in a game other than the one the previous week was last year in pre season.
Speaker 3: Here's another thing that if you're you make your decision on career, whether if you're going to try to expose him and get him to the practice squad. You now have two teams out there that have previous experience with him. One of those is the Chargers. We're Kellen Moore and Doug nas Meyer are now, and they look at their backup situation, Easton sticks their back up to Justin Herbert. And then remember that Will Greer was the third round pick of the Carolina Panthers when Ron Rivera was the head coach, and so Washington, which is in need of quarterbacks, they could pick him up.
Speaker 7: See, and will Grim must have a rabbit in his foot because we are really pulling for him. We have been pulling for this guy, yeah, for about three years now.
Speaker 3: So and the other thing is, well, here's the other thing. It's you're pulling for a third quarterback. Okay, because of the new rules you can allow, you can suit up a game exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: This is what I've been talking about this for three years.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't.
Speaker 4: The good thing is now, if you're trying to get him on the practice squad, he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have to go through waivers.
Speaker 4: This is his fifth year, so you could tell him, hey, even if we put you on the practice squad, we'll pay.
Speaker 3: You this so people a team can't claim him, but they can sign him, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly a lot.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of work for a guy that's barely making the practice fit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, a lot of work.
Speaker 3: And I'm and you look at his age too, and he I thought I had it written down twenty eight. He turned twenty eight on April third.
Speaker 5: That's a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you've got teams all across the league that are going to be trying to get quarterbacks to their practice squad. And if there's one you like out there, you know, you keep you can even keep him on the fifty three and then see what's out there and then make your decison.
Speaker 7: I'm going to stay optimistic, big, but we are really doing a lot of work for this guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the good thing is you're kind of solidified on Cooper Rush.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna I'm going to make sure and tag you with the good thing is because you said that about five times.
Speaker 2: The good thing is, the good thing is missed optimism.
Speaker 3: We come with you, you know what, you know what the good thing is, We're going to be back here.
Speaker 12: Well, we might be back here on Wednesday at nine am, and that will be a good thing, right, And that'll be after Cowboys Night on Tuesday night.
Speaker 3: And so we will have the ruminations of Mickey Spagnola after watching this team and practice at the Star in Frisco on Tuesday night. And also Everson Walls will be along for the ride as well. And uh is the break coming up next? Something's coming?
Speaker 4: Do we take a bottle of champagne and bust it on the table here we christened this new room.
Speaker 5: This is nice bottle of bottle.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: And we'll chat at you again Wednesday morning here on mickshin Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 4: E