Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio of the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 3: Armstrong and Getty and now he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: We're getting them out.
Speaker 4: And a judge can't say, no, you have to have a child, that the trial is going to take two years, and no, we're going to have a very We're going to have a very dangerous country if we're not allowed to do what we're entitled to do.
Speaker 3: And I want an.
Speaker 4: Election based on the fact that we get him.
Speaker 5: Out rampant uncontrolled immigration four years, particularly as we're going to discuss now from Venezuela, the effort to get these people out of the country as quickly and efficiently as possible, running into a recent Supreme Court ruling to discuss all of this, Please welcome Art Arthur, Resident Fellow in Law and Policy at the Center for Immigration Studies.
Speaker 3: Art, how are you, sir, Joe?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great and my best to all of your listeners.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: I see this as a great example of if you do the wrong thing long enough, doing the right thing becomes more and more difficult, and that is the challenge before us.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, no, that's absolutely correct, and in fact, you know, that was one of the things that you know, the Center and I were warning about as we went through the Biden Border of fiasco is you know, millions millions of unvetted migrants poured into the United States that the you know, it was setting up a perfect storm in which removing those individuals from this country and identifying the ones who were truly bad was going to require an all of government effort. And it is that all of an effort that the Trump administration is now implementing.
Speaker 2: But you know, this is going to be a.
Speaker 1: Long slog and it's going to take years for us to undo all the damage that was done over the past four years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one is reminded of the Cloward pivot radical left strategy of overwhelming the system to break it. But how let's just do a minute on how we ended up with Sadam many Venezuelans, in particular trendy Uragua gang members in the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, that's great question. They'll give you the thirty second explanation. Up until the Biden administration, we really didn't get that many illegal Venezuelans. There's a diaspora of Venezuelans who have left the country ever since it was turned into a socialist basket case by Hugo Chavez and then by his successor, Nicholas Maduro. Once the Biden administration took off, it's one of the first things that it did was it gave temporary protected status to Thenalans who were here.
Speaker 2: That meant we couldn't deport them.
Speaker 1: But you know, the smugglers and the migrants don't read the fine print of that, may assume that everybody who came here would be protected from removal, and so consequently we ended up with four hundred thousand plus brand new Venezuelans who came into the United States. The Biden administration you flailed around with how it was going to deal with them, and it decided that the best way to deal with them, to keep people from entering illegally from Venezuela, was to open our airports to Venezuelans who didn't have any visas, who hadn't been vetted. And that really gets to the point, Joe, none of these individuals have been vetted before they come to the United States. If you get a legal visa. You have to show that you're not a criminal. You've got to get a letter from your local police department back home show and you don't have any crimes. We don't have diplomatic relations with Venezuelan, and so consequently, Venezuela has no interest whatsoever in telling us who amongst this population of four hundred thousand plus who have poured in are good people.
Speaker 2: And who aren't.
Speaker 1: And so unfortunately it's local police departments and now the FBI that's having to uncover all the activities of those individuals, Frende Aragua members and other criminals who have come from Venezuela into the United States. To remember, Joe Donald Trump was derided, criticized, you know, mocked when he said that Venezuela was opening its jails and.
Speaker 2: Its mental institutions.
Speaker 1: Well, Nicholas Maduro is an acolyte of Fidel Castro, and that's exactly if you remember what Fidel Castro did during the Mariel Bog crisis. So the apple didn't fall far from the trade in this particular instance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So we around here cherish the idea of due process. It's the idea that our country is based on that if the government can trample on your rights, eventually they will. And so the whole system is based around making sure that the government has to prove it's doing what it's doing in a way that is legal and respect people's rights. On the other hand, if you allow the country to be flooded with many millions of people, including what do you figure the number is from.
Speaker 3: Venezuela, just so I'm semi accurate, Do you have any idea?
Speaker 1: So we know that more than seven hundred thousand, I think with seven hundred and thirty one thousand, Venezuelan's work eligible for temporary protected status at the time that all Jundra New York has issued his second designation of the group in twenty twenty four. So you're talking about, you know, seven hundred and fifty thousand people.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's a hell of a lot of people. So, having said what I said about due process, what would quote unquote due process look like in this situation because the phrase can mean different things. If it means a criminal prosecution, it's beyond a reasonable doubt as a judge by a jury of my peers, if I've walked across the border and forty seconds later, I'm apprehended by the Customs and Border Patrol quote unquote, due process is a very different thing. So what did the Scotis say the other day because they had like a late night ruling, and what should do process look like to deal with all these gang members?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I mean you make so many really important points that your listeners really need to listen very carefully to that adjective do in due process?
Speaker 2: Is there for a reason.
Speaker 1: Due process means different things in different situations.
Speaker 2: And when it comes to an individual.
Speaker 1: At the border or at the ports, those individuals court to the Supreme Court only have the process rights that Congress has given them, and in that context, Congress hasn't given them many. With respect to the individuals who have been released into the United States, they have slightly more due process rights, but not the full you know, rights that are guaranteed under the Constitution to United States citizens. So what President Trump is attempting to do here is to invoke the Alien Enemies Act. And people say, oh, it's from seventeen ninety eight. Yeah it is, but it's also codified. It's fifty US Code, Section twenty one, and it permits the president in the face of an invasion or predatory incursion to remove individuals under you know, his constitutional powers from the United States who were viewed as having participated in that invasion or that incursion. In this context, it's trend Aragua members who followed that migrant flow.
Speaker 2: To the United States.
Speaker 1: And you know, in its first order in with respect to trend Aragua, in response to in order that have been issued by Judge Boseburg, James Boseburg, the District Court in d C. The you know, court said, you know, they're entitled to some process they get notice of, you know, that they've been charged or that they're going to be removed under this provision. But the court also made clear that you know, by and large it's the lower courts, the district courts have to defer to the Execus to branch in that determination. This is foreign policy, Joe, and this is something that the court doesn't have any competence in, let alone jurisdiction. They can't say whether this is necessary for the foreign policy the United States or not. So they're entitled to notice and probably an opportunity to say I'm not a trend.
Speaker 2: To iron Will member.
Speaker 1: But by and large those district court judges who are hearing those cases in Habeas are going to have to largely defer to the determinations of the executive branch, specifically the FBI, DHS, and the State Department.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it seems a little ridiculous the idea that if Maduro said, you know what I'll do, and he did this intentionally, it is clearly an invasion, clearly a hostile active of foreign power. But if he kind of only semi accidentally did it, then we've got to give these guys hearings for years. That just seems absurd to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, the Trump administration, the second one, learned a lot from the first Trump administration. And if you actually go back and you read the Foreign Terrorist Organization designation from the State Department on February twenty and you look at President Trump's proclamation invoking the Alien Enemies Act that he issued on March the eleventh, they actually go into the political activities of Trende Aragua and they say in essence that it operates in conjunction with the Maduro regime and that it supports the Maduro regime's goal of destabilizing democratic nations in the Americas, including the United States. You know, Nicholas Maduro, the Marxist strong man in Venezuela, is a bitter opponent of the United States, and we don't like him either. Even the Biden administration wouldn't admit that he was a legitimate leader of the country. And you know, the argument of the government that the President is making, in fact, it's not even an argument. It's what he's found is that this is part of an attempt to undermine the United States, that these crimes that they participate in, you know, in the United States and throughout the Americans.
Speaker 2: Are part of a plan.
Speaker 1: And you know, with that in mind, this appears to be on pretty strong legal ground for me. And you know, even Bill Barr, you know, former Trump administration Attorney general but no fan of the President today, said yeah, no, this is perfectly permissible for them to do. We need to get to the point in which the court's one court, actually makes that determination that's going to become the law, and then all of this it's going to become very easy.
Speaker 5: And as always, it'd sure be helpful if Congress would stand up and do their jobs and get good and specific about this stuff. Art Arthur, Resident Fellow in Law and Policy Center for Immigration Studies, aren't we sure appreciate the time. Thanks for helping to clarify some fairly complicated stuff for us.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Joe. It's always an honor and a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Likewise, thanks very much more to come stay with us. The other thing about Kawhi is right, big fell Yeah, I know, go ahead, keep talking joke. Yeah, we on TV know what we're doing. Yeah, that's that, olive all you've been drinking.
Speaker 2: Hey, you take some matches with.
Speaker 5: You, Hey, listen, he could hold it after forty you can hold it.
Speaker 2: What's it first you killed? I've been drink.
Speaker 3: I didn't well the cleaning. Hey listen, I just hope we got enough matches around it. He's turned his mic off, that's.
Speaker 2: All I got.
Speaker 5: Wow, that was a lot of toilet talk on the NBA today tonight or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's older men. That show gets huge ratings and makes huge money. It's very amusing. He's very entertaining.
Speaker 5: So so did did jd Vance kill the Pope? That's not my understanding of it. I mean I've watched a lot of crime dramas. He says negative things about a guy. He goes and meets with the guy for like three minutes. He walks out of the room. A couple of minutes later, that guy's dead. I know how these things work. I know where i'd start the investigation. You bring in a detective the pope'es what are you doing with that hammerher? Jd oh, good lord, that's so for the line you're sick. I'm gonna claim it was the medication or something.
Speaker 3: But so, I've not.
Speaker 5: Liked this pope for much of his poping. I know, I wasn't hoping for his death or anything.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 5: I am always amazed at how much attention the whole pope thing gets. I mean, it's the it's the biggest religion in the world. I mean, if you even if you separate it from you know, Protestants, I mean, it's bigger than Baptist anything. It's bigger than Islam. It's it's the biggest because also the biggest. There's one point five billion Catholics on Earth.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 5: But even with that, and I think there are eighty million Catholics in the United I'm surprised how much attention the selection of the pulpe gets. I think a lot of it has to do with the whole it's white people follow the royal family. We like royalty, We like the pageantry. We're built for that, even though it's anathetical to, you know, the way we structure our society and our government in theory.
Speaker 3: We just we like that sort of thing, the pageantry, the robes, the slippers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those are somebody is all powerful and that thing. I think Catholics are clustered disproportionately in the northeast of the US two now and also in the southwest, certainly with the Hispanic folks who've joined us recently welcome. So the mainstream media tends to be like extra serious about it, even if they're not Catholic, because there's somebody next to them in the newsroom who is. But yeah, you're right, it has very very little effect on my life. I'm not anti. I'm just I don't care that much. Hey, run twenty four for us. Michael little Andy Cooper here.
Speaker 6: Unlike many other popes over the last hundred years, he will not be buried though in Vatican City. He's actually going to be buried in Rome itself and another basilica, the Basilica Saint Maria Margiore, which.
Speaker 3: Is closer to the Colisseum.
Speaker 6: I apologize for my bad Italian is closer to the Colisseum than it is to the Vatican.
Speaker 5: Nobody cares, do they know? Well, that's what exactly. And I don't know how many newscasts I mean, we're in the Fellow's going to be buried. I mean, well it's more I don't know, it's less regal and more man of the street. But yeah, I saw so many newscasts lead with the you know, the minutia of this, and then he'll be moved to here, and then vaugh and then in three days, and I thought, really, are there that many people that are into this? I also took in a podcast where people were, you know, several of them Catholics, pointing out that while mainstream media in America loved this guy because he bad mouthed America all the time and sort of treated him like he was this new liberalizing, you know, lefty pope, he wasn't.
Speaker 3: Really at all.
Speaker 5: I mean, he was hardcore life begins at conception, no wiggle room whatsoever on abortion being a sin. I mean, just all of the you know, the core things he was solid on. Oh if somebody told me when he was alive, i'd have been more fond of him than I was. And remember, he used the term faggotry not that long ago, some sort of hot mic moment. He did not dig the gay community being involved.
Speaker 3: In the church. He wasn't.
Speaker 5: He wasn't liberal on any of those things at all. But because he would occasionally bad mouth the United States and capitalism, you know, the.
Speaker 3: Mainstream media just thought it was fantastic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was more liberal on some issues, I know, but I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't care, I really I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm you in your personal faith, my friends, we have more than respect for and you practice it in whatever way you say or feel as proper. I'm about the Constitution, I'm about our individual rights and that sort of thing, and I just I don't have much opinion on this stuff. Well maybe this would get you more interested. National review Their take is it was founded by William F. Buckley, who is a lifelong, very strong Catholic person. But National Reviews take is the Catholic Church is the most important institution in Western civilization, has been forever and still is. So if you look at it that way, and you know why I want to give us a ten second version. I guess because it's moral in wellnot, I guess. I listened to them talk about it, and I read it's moral leadership for all of Western civilization for you know, hundreds and hundreds of years, centuries, and the constitution and rights I cherish that I just mentioned are absolutely inseparable from the Judea career tradition, sure, and moral precepts of the world. Right, that's true, you know, I'm I have an open mind about this stuff. That's an interesting perspective. Dust for prints. Ask JD some questions, that's all. Oh, no, any inappropriate retract that Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 5: I was looking at video Jack just recommended I take a look at that he tweeted over the weekend, and it led me to another fascinating topic. But yeah, it was the transactivist screeching like lunatics and a small group of women who are just saying only women in women's sports, a controversial stance with the wide eyed craziness of I don't even know what the religious cultist right, the radical you know, and some of them are older that you'd expect. Yeah, this is a little old to be screeching like a to take what's spit flying out of your mouth, claiming that men can declare themselves to be women. So the whole woke world, whether it's climate change, trands, or whatever your aspect you're grabbing onto at the time, it really is got a serious religious thing going to it. Oh yeah, yeah, it has all the earmarks of religion, right.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It's the original sin of being white, for instance, and the only way you can overcome that original sin is by begging us on your knees to forgive you. Well, as I was reading some of the commentaries to that video by like learned people, and one person pointing out, you can see a not very.
Speaker 3: Long step from those.
Speaker 5: People's level of anger to Muslim dudes chuck and rocks at some chick to stoner to death because she committed adultery.
Speaker 3: It's not a giant leap.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, not at all, not at all. Some of those people looked capable of murder. Yeah, wild So Interestingly enough, I saw subsequent to that on our Twitter feed, you were got into a little well, you kind of retweeted something from Tim Sandover, and Tim was reacting to a tweet by a dude named David Cole, who was talking about Harvard, for instance, and the other universities how they are now fighting against Trump, and how admirable that is, because if you give into a mob boss, that's the beginning, not the end, of one's servitude. Why Harvard chose not to appease Trump, and Tim pointed out that you give into the mob boss when you accept money from him. When the mob boss does that favor for you, that's when you say no. Not when he comes back to you later and it expects you to repay the favor, then it's way, way, way too late. And obviously the mob boss he's talking about is these universities getting huge buckets of federal tax payer money, cash from the federal government, various forms of support. And just real quickly, I thought it was interesting the editorial board at the Wall Street Journal was talking about the Harvard versus the Trump administration thing, and specifically the tax exempt status question, and I found their argument pretty strong that we're in a situation now where and y'all may remember this, and we went crazy over this when Obama and his people in effect declared any tea party nonprofit to be not a charitable organization, we denied them.
Speaker 3: There is that five oh one C.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 5: I can never remember the tax code. I'm not an accountant near a tax attorney. But anyway, we started this show together. You said you were an accountant. Well, and that's why you did that short you know, a jail term for your taxes.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I thought I could handle it.
Speaker 5: But anyway, So the fact that Congress has to get involved in this, and you can't have the exact executive branch declaring that, yeah, you were tax exempt last year, but you're not now because I hate what you're doing, uh huh, And that Congress has got to weigh in on this because when President AOC gets in there, what the hell is she going to revoke the tax exempt status? For sure? I mean, it's it's a nightmare in the making. So I thought that was a pretty balanced and reasonable way to look at it, which leads me to one of my favorite things that I've read recently, and Jack obviously feel free to interject whenever you want, but the always even killed Matt Tayebi. His headline is the Government, the Harvard Government divorce is the feel good story of the ages. When a couple should have never been together, and they finally break up.
Speaker 3: It's a happy thing. What a funny analogy to use.
Speaker 5: Yeah, taking kind of a different tack than Tim's mob boss thing. But and then there's a paragraph of a summary. Harvard refused on Mondays to submit to the This from the New York Times editorial Board. Harvard refused on Monday to submit to the Trump administration's quest to command and control America's higher education system.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 5: No government, regardless of which parties in power, should dictate what private universities can teach, whom they admit in higher and which areas of study and inquiry they can pursue.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: So Harvard is resisting, So Tayibi writes, Harvard's bold decision to risk an unsubsidized future with a mere fifty three billion dollars in reserve is a feel good story everyone can chare. The federal government in corrupt higher education has finally decided to divorce, and it's a beautiful thing. The Trump administration's war on universities has been conducted with its signature Japanese monster movie approach, full of smashed infrastructure, rivers of screaming civilians and battle scenes so spellbinding, spellbinding questions of right and wrong go out the window.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's really good. Yeah, Tidee is so good.
Speaker 5: And when he thinks Trump is right, he's absolutely eloquent in defending him. And when he thinks he's wrong, you know the obvious. But this is good writing. You can try it away. The administration's law flouting, maybe against the university's appalling sense of entitlement, but I suspect many Americans will abandon sides and just cheer the spectacle of intractably self regarding freaks joined in aerial combat over the Constitution. Harvard versus the Trump Monster should have been the next entry in the Shin Godzilla series, and now it's here. It's especially welcome if the battle has a happy ending, which looks likely as of the week's end. It took a bizarre series of events to bring us here. The prelude to the Trump Harvard battle was the administration siege of Columbia, taken with little struggle, and he gets into how Columbia gave in pretty quickly, at least temporarily, the ACLU suddenly rediscovering its love for campus speech freedom railed at. Putting whole areas of study in the federal penalty box was a comical violation of civil liberties. They cited a nineteen fifty seven case from the McCarthy era. In it, the New Hampshire Attorney General investigator a professor, and the Supreme Court ruled when, and I'm summarizing this very quickly, but when weighed against the grave harm resulting from the government intrusion into the intellectual life of a university, such justification for compelling a witness to discuss the content of his lectures appears grossly inadequate. In other words, hands off, let the universities run themselves. Let's not tramp on free speech to get rid of one bad apple. Back to Taibi, the issues in nineteen fifty seven an hour are not that different.
Speaker 3: The High Court then was right.
Speaker 5: To conclude that there's more damage in putting the state in charge of reviewing academic speech than there is an allowing instruction that some might conclude to be not just anti American but threatening in the context of the time. That was a hard decision, but the right one.
Speaker 3: In this sense.
Speaker 5: The ACLU and other traditional speech defenders are probably right that the Trump Columbia deal constituted a stunning intrusion.
Speaker 3: Here's where it turns.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 5: Less convincing were commentators like historian Joan Scott, who said Trump's actions were unheard of even during the Mcarthury year of blah blah blah coverage can distantly ignored the fact that Columbia has been a poster child for decades long assault by most all universities on academic freedom, as well as a serial violator of Title six of the Civil Rights Act, which requires that public funds not be spent quote in any fashion which encourages and trenches, subsidizes, or results in racial color, national origin discrimination.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: And he goes into more detail. But the idea that Harvard, Columbia, any of these people would screech academic freedom when they're being criticized, is it's vomit worthy, right, And remembering last week that Harvard finished last out of two hundred and fifty Oh yeah, universities in the free speech last well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's where we're heading.
Speaker 5: So it would be nice, he writes if the NYCLU acknowledged that Columbia's record is replete with moronic civil liberties offenses. It's deep platformed with gusto a loud or encouraged the Heckler's veto shutdown of events, institutionalized compelled speech diversity statements as part of its admissions process, including instructions on what to write like when did your privilege result in different treatment than others?
Speaker 3: Oh? I mean day? Oh my god.
Speaker 5: They are obscenely anti free speech these universities. It has the same problem with the use of race and admissions that Harvard tried to defend and lost at the Supreme Court, and its DEI program still infect a curriculum with iron race doctrine.
Speaker 3: Tahiebeis is so good.
Speaker 5: The School of Social Work to this day is proudly waiving the banner of the prop or power, race oppression and Privilege framework. Okay, so Trump administration said no DEI, so they renamed it. Now it's prop teaching the same communist bull ass. And I'd love to use the word which makes the department's guiding principle the idea that quote anti black racism and white supremacy are endemic in our systems and institutions. So it's precisely the same thing in the same or with a slightly different label. Speech codes are issued in a variety of forms of Barnard's circularayor even missed the irony of the George Carlin routine, in which it outlawed a bunch of different words. You remember, the legendary Carlin seven deadly or seven dirty words or whatever. These practices and more led Columbian twenty twenty two to being named the worst campus in the country for free speech by the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, who we love, getting the country's sole abysmal rating. Ironically, Harvard would soon earn a worse review.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 5: So and then he gets into after October seventh, the horrific anti Jewish stuff, the anti Semitic stuff, the locking Jewish kids in library, not letting him go to class, and the rest of it. But so and if you're new to the show, and we have a number of new stations who are listening, thank you very much for listening. I hope you get used to it and you like it, stick around for a while. Not always sick, well no, no, For instance, Jack is not always sick. It's a little different approach than a lot of talk radio these days. And we are staunchly conservative. But like Tayibe, we can handle the idea that, Okay, maybe revoking Harvard's stats tax exempt status, maybe it's legit, maybe it's not. We need to take a look at it and think about it, think about the ramifications of it. But I am ready to die on the hill of these universities claiming academic freedom is precious and we must protect it. I want to strangle them with both my hands. Go good Lord, that's some of the most towering, naked hypocrisy I have ever witnessed in my life, and I've witnessed a bit of it, so I'm I've always been confused by this. So Harvard has famously now fifty some billion dollars and they're endowment. Why don't they just sell fun to everything and just not answer to anyone ever.
Speaker 3: Because they've got the double gravy train going.
Speaker 5: I guess well, and nobody's asked them to answer to them. True, they were able to be the worst example of free speech of any college campus in America and still get what was it, half a billion dollars a year or whatever we're getting in oh, at least it was tremendous amounts of money yeah, final note for fans of Goodfellas. Actually hard it was two billion. It was more like a half a billion over at Columbia.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I guess if somebody's given you two billion and you still get to do whatever you want, why would you want to end that? So he uses the sword here. I'll just say poop. The Trump administration would have been right to simply demand that Columbia cut the recent poop and all their other poop. These things are usually resolved on the sly and he quotes somebody hysterically. Historically, no higher education institution has ever lost all its federal funding, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: But Trump is a different animal.
Speaker 5: He's dragging these dramas in the open, making the ivs dance for their federal crumbs in the most humiliating conceivable manner, like Joe Peshi shooting at the feet of Michael imperially in.
Speaker 3: The Good Fellas.
Speaker 5: No I thought you said, I'm all right, spider in one.
Speaker 3: Way, am I funny?
Speaker 5: He's making them dance, which is more or less what he's doing. So because he's Matt Tybe goes on for par after paragraph, but you get the idea.
Speaker 3: Well, and where do you think most of the public is on this.
Speaker 5: I think the awareness of how utterly corrupt and ideologically sick the universities are.
Speaker 3: I think the awareness is growing well, and I think doesn't the Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: I feel like the average American has a bad attitude toward Harvard.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw some Do you trust in colleges in universities?
Speaker 3: As part of that whole?
Speaker 5: Do you trust in the media, law enforcement, the army, blah blah blah, and their numbers are historically low, which is very encouraging. First step of solving a problem is being aware of it. So it reminds me of you talking about a poll. There was a poll came out over the weekend from Gallop, which is one of your better polling organizations. Our economic attitude is not good right now. I know you started the show with some good news, but there is some bad feelings out there. Maybe we'll get to that and other stuff coming upstair here.
Speaker 7: The market is also in general rendering harsh judgments. Since April Second Liberation Day, the Dow has stumbled more than nine percent over the first three weeks of April, putting it on track to mark it's worst April since the Great Depression. The Dow falling one thousand points are more. That's only happened nineteen times in modern history, and three of those massive drops have happened since Liberation Day.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be pedantic, but that.
Speaker 5: I could find it that stat they keep throwing around worst April since the Great Depression is highly misleading, but it doesn't obscure the fact that clearly.
Speaker 3: The markets have had a bad month or so.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's being overly pedantic to point out that Jake Tapper is full of crap. Yeah, everybody's saying that because you can use a statistic where that is true. So Gallup has been asking this whole century, since two thousand, how you feel about your personal financial situation? Very broad question, do you think it's getting better, getting worse, or staying the same. And since they started asking the question, it's never crossed fifty percent.
Speaker 3: It's usually hanging around in the.
Speaker 5: Mid thirties of people who say that their financial situation is getting worse. It almost hit fifty in two thousand and eight. It almost hit fifty at the beginning of the COVID, but then it would go back down to the thirties or forties or whatever it is. Now for the first time this century or since they've been asking the question, at fifty three percent of Americans think their financial situation.
Speaker 3: Is getting worse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, Jake Tapper's little screen there, as misleading as it might be, and the poll numbers all indicative of people's uncertainty and worry over Number one, the firing of Jerome Powell, the chairman of the Fed, and also the trade war with China and other countries. Well, the president came out the other day forty two.
Speaker 4: Michael, never whatsoever, never did the press runs away with things now.
Speaker 3: I have no intention of firing him.
Speaker 4: I would like to see him be a little more active in terms of his idea to lower interest Rate's just a perfect time to lower interest rates. If he doesn't is at the end to know it's not, but it would be good timing which could have taken place earlier.
Speaker 3: But no, I have no intention to fire him.
Speaker 5: Didn't he just like truth out guy, can't be fired soon enough? Okay, Well, no, evidently he's not going to so buy some stocks.
Speaker 3: Not only that, but this I'm.
Speaker 2: Not gonna say.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm gonna play hardball with China. I'm gonna play hardball with you, Prision and she no, Now, we're gonna be very nice. They're gonna be very nice and we'll see what happens. But ultimately they have to make a deal. One hundred and forty five percent is very high, and it won't be that high. It's not gonna be that high, so it don't come to n substantially, but it won't be zero. He used to be zero. We were just destroyed. China was taking us for a ride and just not gonna have It's not gonna happen. We're gonna be very good to China.
Speaker 5: So Powell stays, and the trade war war is going to be a trade negotiation. Well, I was trying to find what was the actual term he used for Powell the other day, called him an idiot or I mean it was pretty hard. Oh, just like three days ago, he called Powell a major loser and he cannot come fast enough that he leaves the press runs away with these things. I never had any intention, and I I wouldn't mind if he was a little faster on the whole. I guess asking for more disciplined messaging from Trump at this point is like asking for a pony for Christmas.
Speaker 3: But uh boy, that'd be great, wouldn't it Anyway?
Speaker 5: Interesting I'm not so it'll be interesting to see if people's negative attitudes stay this way for a long time.
Speaker 3: Great interview, Next Hour.
Speaker 5: If you don't get Next Hour, grab it via podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty