Speaker 1: So before we jump into today's episode, we have an email. Lauren M writes in that she is a huge fan of both the pod and the show after rewatching episode four point two, in which Eric is dreaming about Spanish baseball. And I'm sure other eagle eyed fans caught this before, but I realize.
Speaker 2: The boys constantly switch beds.
Speaker 3: We've had this conversation, I think before. Do they actually switch beds? Well?
Speaker 1: Yes, because if you'll remember the episode when you were with you had the Nancy Kerrigan episode, you were in the upstage bed, right, and then also.
Speaker 3: Corey, yeah, there's a box. Corey, there's a box on your face. I think was in the other bed.
Speaker 4: He do, yes.
Speaker 1: And then in this one where you wake up with the Spanish base bowl, you're in the other bed.
Speaker 2: So you're in the downstage bed for that one.
Speaker 1: So she said, we all know consistency is not a Boy Meets World strong point, but would you guess this was purely a camera blocking issue. The set design needed to be updated as well, which means the bedroom set was always evolving.
Speaker 2: And yes, it's just a blocking thing.
Speaker 3: I remember Ben and I having that conversation on set, being like, wait, a second, weren't you in that bed last time? I don't know, I think, and we couldn't remember. I think I was in this bed. I think you were in that bed. Yeah, it just kind of became much like the Little Sisters on your show or whatever we needed.
Speaker 4: Are we going to see the bedroom that much more? Like? I don't remember it.
Speaker 3: I can think of two more scenes where we definitely see the bedroom cellar.
Speaker 4: Oh, chick like me, chicklick me into the bed, okay.
Speaker 3: And I know there's one where Eric leaves and comes back and kicks in the door when there's now one bed in there. Corey thinks it's just his room. So I remember that. But towards the end, I don't know how much monaw the bedroom.
Speaker 4: Why do you think Corey and Eric are switching beds?
Speaker 3: I think it's just they were so drunk by that point. Wherever they passed out, that's where they landed exactly. Corey was a big drinker. A lot of people didn't know that about not.
Speaker 1: Ben, whoever had the most to drink that day, got the bed closest.
Speaker 3: To the bath, closest to the bath exactly. Now, it was just the camera thing. It's like all right, Yeah, this is your bed today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so funny because I am such a creature of habit. Even when I'm in a hotel room by myself, I have to sleep on my.
Speaker 3: Same side of the absolutely right or not?
Speaker 2: You you just don't care.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think the middle. I definitely, like have noticed, I still gravitate to us side, but there's no like regularity.
Speaker 3: Have you ever dated a person who slept on your side of the bed and after the first time you shared a bed, you're like, this isn't gonna.
Speaker 4: Work, not gonna work. So you have the same side of the bed no matter who you're dating. Yeah, I have my side side of the way since you were a child or since like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't date that many people as a child, But I don't understand how many.
Speaker 2: I'm betting the night at your house when you were.
Speaker 3: Seven, Well, yeah, exactly. I got around at seven, Okay, I did.
Speaker 4: At some point, At some point you were old enough to have your own Queen's eye bed or whatever double sized bed, and you picked a side at that point and haven't adjusted no matter what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: That's what if What if the person like your partner what if Susan came into your life and was like, well no, just as insistent that this is.
Speaker 3: Her, So it'd never been been a great first and second date and then and then we both would have shook hands and.
Speaker 4: Been on her way.
Speaker 2: Too bad, this didn't work out, And sorry, this didn't.
Speaker 3: Work out, Sarah.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I don't remember if I have ended up going back, but I do, And it may have even been with Jensen. I do know at one point there was a situation where somebody was very much like, well, this is my side of the bed, and I was kind of like, well, that's also my the bed.
Speaker 5: And so what are we gonna do here, and then being like somebody's gonna be compromise. Yeah, being at the beginning of a relationship like it's okay, I'll just I'll just sleep on the side of the bed. And then I don't I think I just got used to that side and maybe now that's oh no, Jensen just wrote I switched sides.
Speaker 4: Somebody. I think both of you guys are just domineering and you're very partners. Yeah, we're like, okay, I guess we this is an argument I'm not gonna win. I'll just go to the other side of the bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the window into your lives.
Speaker 3: Okay, it doesn't have to be my way. You just don't have to do it.
Speaker 4: Just worked out my life. It's always worked out everywhere. There's always more right. I don't know what you're talking about. Consider another person, guys, partner, I just can't.
Speaker 3: I consider her from my left works.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Will and I also have a no touching rule while sleeping.
Speaker 2: You do stay on your side of the bed.
Speaker 4: Just get married, just like get married, make a sick together, make America happy.
Speaker 3: We both be on the same side of the bed.
Speaker 4: You're not touching each other. You'd each have their own beds with one side you know sleep.
Speaker 1: Will and I have a deal breaker. I already tell you why our marriage doesn't work. I cannot and will not sleep.
Speaker 3: With a TV on, and I cannot and will not sleep without the TV.
Speaker 2: So nice knowing you will, yes, sir, exactly.
Speaker 3: Great means Darnel's not gonna work out.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Bond Meets World.
Speaker 1: I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm rather strong, and I'm wil for do. Today we are recapping season four, episode five, Shallow Boy. It originally aired October eighteenth, nineteen ninety six. The synopsis Eric starts dating a highly optimistic musician, but her constant perkiness starts to annoy him. After it, Eric Dumpster, he finds himself the topic of a scathing hit song on the radio. Meanwhile, Topanga does not like Corey's habit of being pals with kids instead of parenting them. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Jeff Sherman. It's a musical episode, so we should be shocked there before I jump into the guest stars. Do you guys want to say any overall thoughts.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a classic episode. Yeah, pretty. You know, my expectations were actually a little high. Really, I agree, and because we had been talking about this one. And here's what I'll say, Like, there are probably two I mean, the Will's performance just takes her performance like there are like two scenes with her and Chubby's where the two of you just are so good. And then I would say that the scene with Ben and the kid are is hysteric like some of the best scenes. And but then over overall it's actually a pretty It was more predictable than I kind of remembered like that makes sense, but maybe because I just I don't know, my expectations.
Speaker 3: Were a little hot.
Speaker 4: But it's it's very tidy. I guess it is my only criticism.
Speaker 3: It's a very sitcom episode. Yeah, but I kind of like it. And for the first time though serious topanga red flags, I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Pig episode two, Pig episode two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the episode was there and it was weird.
Speaker 4: It was like, oh, we're playing on the like psychoanaggyman.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: I was like, and then it doesn't. It changes kind of for no reason, like you just show up.
Speaker 2: And everything's open at the end. It's like I just thought about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's aapanga, some topanga red flags there. You know.
Speaker 4: It's funny though, I imagine if you were sitting at home on Friday night and you were just waiting for a normal episode of Boy Meets World like this one would blow your mind. Like the whole notion of a girl singing and the song is because we knew what to expect, we remembered the story. It did feel a little like we could see the mechanics clicking in place a little too. But I bet you if you didn't know. If you just watched this blind, it's brilliant. It was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree it I didn't remember the storyline.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember. I didn't. I didn't remember it. I still saw where it was going.
Speaker 2: It was all I know. Yeah, yeah, I know exactly what's gonna happen here. Yeah. But I loved it and it was so fun.
Speaker 1: And sometimes we have had issues when a major storyline is given to a character we know we're never going to see again. But in this case, I love it. It's so it worked so well. It was really fun. And Shesha Haley, she is just incredible.
Speaker 4: How this episode without somebody of that talent. I mean, like, this episode doesn't work unless.
Speaker 2: You have her, like first TV job.
Speaker 3: Ever, Yeah I remember that.
Speaker 2: Ever, it was into unbelievable.
Speaker 3: This was also one of the episodes for me, which we've now had a couple, where I didn't realize that two kind of famous storylines were in the same episode. I didn't because the whole bend thing with them, they're trying to kill it, They're trying to kill I didn't know that was the shallow Boy episode.
Speaker 4: But that's what you remember, is that one that okay, that one exchange, which is like one of the best meta exchanges boy Bets World has ever ever. I don't remember why he was babysitting. I don't remember anything. I just remember that exchange, and like so I didn't remember the rest of the story.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: That any episode. I didn't know this was that was this? E Now I have a question for you before we jump in, So we now know the show is at nine thirty instead of eight thirty, right, were there any more because I looked for this and couldn't find any. Were there any more quote unquote adult jokes that you could find with the hour later in the in the I.
Speaker 1: Mean only a lot of the stuff about having a baby, yeah baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that we've only kissing.
Speaker 3: So there was more sexual talk in this one, and that's the only thing I noticed. But there was never like a double entonjoorn innuendo. I was waiting for that, like, okay, let's.
Speaker 4: See, well, but the show is going to get older, because don't we talk about sex like from season on the lines losing his virginity and yeah, so I think we're just aging with our characters more than the time slot.
Speaker 3: I wonder though if you can get I think you could probably get away with more at nine thirty than you candidate thirty. Right, not a thing.
Speaker 4: Part of TG. I you don't think the whole point.
Speaker 3: Wasn't hanging with mister Cooper just basically a porn. I never saw it. I could be wrong.
Speaker 2: I think you're wrong. I think you're wrong.
Speaker 1: One now I feel awful, but I don't remember. How is it Leisha or Leisha? I think it's Lisha, Lisha Haley, Lisha Haley.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought too, Okay, So I'm gonna say Lesha Haley. And if we end up discovering.
Speaker 1: It's the wrong way, yeah, go back in and we can add it in Laisia.
Speaker 2: Because because when I really liked exactly, we'll go back and do that.
Speaker 1: So guest starring Leisha Haley as Corina Collins, and I, like I mentioned, I cannot believe this is her first job on TV. She would go on to star in the L Word and appear on Bosh, Silicon Valley and The.
Speaker 2: L Word Reboot Generation Q.
Speaker 3: We have also an awesome band, remember the ban you bought me, You bought me the Murmurs album. He's in a band called the Murmurs, and you bought me the album one day and I still listen to it. Literally, yep.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to talk to her about that. And then we have Devin O'Brien as Missus Epperson. She appeared in the nineteen eighty three film Terms of Endearment, and then film Yes, Zach Pfeiffer as mister Epperson, who made some interesting choices. He's a bit of a Hollywood journeyman, having appeared on Moonlighting, Perfect Strangers, and Murphy Brown and in movies like Get Shorty Adams, Family Values, and Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. And then Jonathan Ausser as Billy Epperson. He played a young Adam Sandler in the movie Anger Management and appeared in the very weird Todd Solan's movie Storytelling He's So Good. And then Jack Grayman as Bum. He only has three credits, and the only other one I recognized.
Speaker 2: Was as cop On Seinfeld. All right, so jumping into our recap, we start in the wilderness outpost. We see the exterior, some more money they threw our way, and we see a girl in a large hat is playing the guitar. And singing outside and Eric is intrigued.
Speaker 4: Now, this exterior is clearly not linked to the interior, right because they had the window covered. Because I was trying to imagine, is like where was this on our set? It was like, Oh, they just built this. And then you have to like slide into the door so you can't actually see inside.
Speaker 3: And the sign actually says Matthews, which I liked. It was the Matthews Wilderness Store, which is nice. Yep, but yeah, it was certainly a swing set m M. And then she has the fake kind of keeping her head down down the entire time. Yeah, do you guys.
Speaker 4: Remember when she showed up at the table read, yes, with her absolutely, she don't know to every song this week before the table read, so she had lyrics, so they in the script Sherman had only written lyrics for her, and she showed up with a guitar and wrote had written every song, and I swear to god, it didn't change. She showed up and had what eight eight nine different songs written to the lyrics and it was perfect.
Speaker 3: And the all acoustic act, you know.
Speaker 2: What's even crazier.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons she got this job, aside from the fact that she's incredible is probably because by the time she went into the audition, she had already written the song to whatever those sides you must have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know what this. I would love to ask Sherman about this. I'm sure she showed up and sang a cappella in the audition. I don't know. But but when at the table head, I just remember we were all like, oh, we have all on episode because of her, because she just had taken these lyrics and I mean it's not like super complicated, but it works perfect.
Speaker 3: I wonder if she did audition because I remember distinctly hearing a story that I think it was Sherman and Nelson and Blutman might have been there too, went to a Murmurs concert specifically to see her. I don't know if this was before or after that.
Speaker 4: You can't assume that somebody can ask based.
Speaker 3: I don't know's hear the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she must have auditioned because she was great well.
Speaker 1: A panhandler and ragged closed next to her begs Eric to make.
Speaker 4: It stuck a bum.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you're right, it's a bum. I was gonna say, an unhoused human.
Speaker 3: No, it's the nineties. They're a boom boom.
Speaker 1: Eric finds the comment disturbing and throws some money into the girl's guitar case. She continues singing that a handsome passerby tosses me a twenty dollars bill. Eric smiles at the handsome passerby compliment, but when he hears twenty dollars bill, he realizes he's made a mistake and quickly takes the money back.
Speaker 2: I just love.
Speaker 1: Eric walks into the store, and as the girl continues to sing outside, Alan begs Eric to close the door. Eric jokes, a little too perky for you out there this morning we hear a new song.
Speaker 2: It's a lollipop day, a jolly Wally Molly Dolly.
Speaker 1: Eric finally closes the door and Alan complains, no one's coming in here.
Speaker 2: She's scaring all the customers away.
Speaker 1: Eric asks, would you rather have the smelly old guy who used to s spit on people? And without hesitation, Alan says, yeah, get him and get rid of her. Eric asks why he has to do this, and Alan responds, because we're equal partners in this business, and I'm your father, and you do what I tell you to do, which I love. I love that now we're already like. I love how this completely ties in, reminds the audience, Hey, Eric's a partner in this, this is actually their business together. But then I also love the very like just that's exactly what happens with parents, is that at a certain point they go, I don't care you're doing it because I said so, I said.
Speaker 3: This is so. I distinctly remember this was kind of the start of Rusty and I bonding as actors and as people. Was the Wilderness Store, because all of a sudden we were together every week. We're in that Wilderness Store for most of this season.
Speaker 4: I mean, and you've said that before. I remember talking about that when when we first started this podcast, that you didn't connect with Rusty until the last seasons.
Speaker 3: Until the later scenes, and this is where it really started to happen. I don't think, and again I don't. I don't blame him because I didn't really know what I was doing. I don't think he respected me much as an actor when we started, and again I was the cardboard cutout prop where I'd walk in and Chris I was very stiff and girls girls, and didn't do anything with the with you know, to make it my own, and I think he started to notice that I was growing as an actor. And then we were together and we were playing off of each other, and at that point then it was just smooth sailing. But this is really where it started, was all the Wilderness store stuff, so this is important.
Speaker 1: Eric walks outside to do the deed, but as he's about to break the news, she looks up and he sees her beautiful face. He immediately joins her in singing the last line of her song and I feel good, and he gives her all of his money. Eric walks back into the store and Alan asks if it's done, but Eric admits, of course it's not done.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you know me at all?
Speaker 1: Alan knowingly says she smiled at you, and Eric acts out her smile, saying, geh.
Speaker 3: Such a Michael Jacobs.
Speaker 4: The few times I could see you doing a ready, yeah, old joke, got it? Deliver it, yep, because you wouldn't have done it that way.
Speaker 3: You would have.
Speaker 2: So get ahead, yeah, because you know I wrote in the script and.
Speaker 4: You were like, what am I supposed to?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And Michael, just right when I saw it, I was like, oh, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Alan size and tells Eric to take her to lunch and ask her to take her act further down the road. He questions, can you handle that? Eric scoffs cannot handle that? Yeah, I can handle that or fail to do so. But I'm gonna need some money, so can you give me some? Because I gave her all of mine and it just sets this whole episode up absolutely perfectly.
Speaker 3: I want that scene back. As an actor, you know, you watch and I don't think it was bad. But as an actor, you watch and you're like, in my head, I missed nine jokes. So I'm like, oh, I want to go back and do that again. That's just how I am. It's like I want to go back and do it again.
Speaker 4: So that's this episode bad. This is This is like the Olympics of sitcom acting. Watching this this No, it's amazing. I mean here, I was thinking about watching the episode, Like, what what defines sitcom or I mean comedy acting in general. With sitcom in particular, is the ability to commit and transition. So like the ability to do commit to something one hundred percent for like two lines one line, half the line, and then transition to a completely different beat and commit to that and to bring the audience along with you, and you do that beat to beat line the line. It's miraculous, It's like, and it's so hard to do because as an actor like you know you, it's hard to keep the energy level up that high and to go from like happy to sad to singing to not to you know, and you are doing that in every scene, every line. It's it's remarkable, will it. So you've clearly just achieved, you know, your status as a sitcom actor by this point. It's so great.
Speaker 3: We should do this every week. Great way to wake up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Geez. And then we're in Phoenie's classroom. Been a while since Phoene.
Speaker 4: Also, we reiterate all of our characters like in a row. It's like literally like shawl.
Speaker 2: You guys a little harder to Penga. But I know everything.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 4: What is wrong with your voice, though, Danielle, I notice I don't know.
Speaker 3: What it was.
Speaker 4: What it was if you sounded so different the second you started talking.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, it could have been. It could have been particularly a week that I was told to change my voice. Note, Oh, maybe it could have been. It could have been one of the weeks.
Speaker 1: That was very much like, Danielle, lower your voice, Danielle, lower your voice. Because I don't actually sound sick to me. You can usually tell when.
Speaker 2: I sound like stuffed up. This didn't sound like that.
Speaker 1: This sounded like it almost sounded like I was taking on an affect and I'm not.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure why.
Speaker 4: It really only bumped me in this scene. I guess maybe I got used to it, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was this. It was like, what happened?
Speaker 1: That doesn't And I know it was so weird, but it doesn't sound It doesn't sound stuffy. It sounded like I was doing something weird with words like I was. I was pronouncing things a little differently than I normally do. And I'm not sure why, but I noticed it too in this scene in particular, sure why.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what I was doing.
Speaker 1: So Phoene tells the class since this will be the last presidential election in which they aren't old enough to vote, he wants the classroom to be an open forum to discuss the issue issues which most concern their lives. Sean is about to fall asleep as Phoene lectures, So, of course, Phoene calls on him and asks, mister Hunter, what issue most concerns your life. Sean doesn't hesitate the swimsuit issue. Phoene just goes back and if it's so good, Sean asks, how am I doing? Phoene responds baff o, mister Hunter. Corey raises his hand and tells Phoene there is a pressing social matter which I feel equipped to discuss with confidence and alacrity. Phoene excitedly tells Corey he has the floor, to which Corey tells him, Nah, that used me up. Phoene asks to Panga to save them, and the smart girl responds, First of all, I'd just like to say I think Corey's really cute for trying Corey.
Speaker 2: Corey giggles, thank you, sugar. Now I guess I do.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna chalk this up to because I don't know what it is that Topega would find cute about it. I don't know why she would think it's cute, except for the fact that when you are a teenager, especially everything that other person.
Speaker 2: Does that you love is just adorable.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna say, you know what, I do remember being a dumb, dumb teenager in love.
Speaker 4: I mean, story wise, it's just to reiterate that they're together, because the whole arc of the episode is they're together, They're committing to each other. It's going to be strained, and they're gonna come back together.
Speaker 2: So we need to remind the audience, the audience where we are in.
Speaker 4: The timeline, because reruns we could be all over the place. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say this is the first classroom scene maybe of the entire series, where I did not recognize a single background oh one, not one.
Speaker 4: It was so weird.
Speaker 3: We're going around the class and I'm like, I don't I don't recognize anybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to think. I mean, I can't believe that we've already covered so many of the background extra like that. I remember, you know, like seasons two and three, I remember every you know Dusty obviously, Like now you're right, because like Ricky's gone, he wasn't doing it. My brother's girlfriend is going to be called Darcy. Darcy Darcy is an extra in the later years, so she's going to be in the background, so she might come up this season, right were they already dating? And but yeah, I don't know who else was around at this time.
Speaker 3: That's I just didn't reckon it was weird. I didn't recognize anybody. I even paused it. I was like, there's got to be somebody I reckonize.
Speaker 2: We'll see cal Pen soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's.
Speaker 2: Soh t.
Speaker 1: Penga explains the biggest crisis facing the country is the breakdown of the American family, or, as I say on the show, the biggest crisis faming fame in the family is.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I'm doing. I'm like a little British. I'm a little British.
Speaker 3: I'm a little I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a little not sure, not sure what.
Speaker 3: Family.
Speaker 2: I was trying something. I was taking a risk. Sean groans, you always gotta go after Sean.
Speaker 1: Tabanga argues that issues like crime in the decline and education, but Sean interrupts, Hey lay off of me.
Speaker 4: This is hysterical. But it also makes no sense that Topanga would think the breakdown is the American family, like she wants to break down traditional roles, like that's always been her thing? Is that, like, you know, because the traditional American family argument is very conservative and very like female should be this way, male should be this way, and they should kids this way and like, so this is as much as I love this episode, when it works for the conflict, it doesn't make any sense for Tobanka's character.
Speaker 3: She wants and she becomes really conservative exactly, it's very weird especial.
Speaker 1: This this talking point was a very conservative viewpoint. So yeah, you're right. So Topega continues that it all has to do with how we're brought up in our homes. Phoene agrees, and Sean slams his book shut.
Speaker 2: That's it. He walks to the door.
Speaker 1: When Phoene asks mister Hunter, Sean smiles, points at the clock and the bell rings right on time. Phoene throws his arms in the air. The rest of the class files out. I'm in an orange outfit with some I don't know, platform sneakers or something. It goes along with my new British British language horse yep, and Corey confirms that Sean isn't actually upset. Sean asks what, I'm not personally responsible for?
Speaker 4: What that?
Speaker 1: I'm personally responsible for the breakdown of American society.
Speaker 2: Nah, I got bigger problems.
Speaker 1: Corey understands he's got problems too. He reveals that he and Ta Panga. We're supposed to go out tonight, but now it's not happening. Sean's glad to hear that. How we can have a rare guy's night out. Corey's into that. The boys together again. It's a pretty lucky thing to Pega's babysitting tonight.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Sean cuts him off and asks, you have a girlfriend who's babysitting. Corey nuds, yeah, late into the night. So burgers are a movie, Sean tells him there's no burger. There's no movie. There's just you and your girlfriend at a stranger's house, no interruptions, alone on a couch. And I thought, no interruptions. Have you ever met a child?
Speaker 4: My first house was when you're a babysitter, you just put the kid to bed and then you're there.
Speaker 2: Well, yes I did.
Speaker 1: I did realize that that's that's what this that that that's what this was gonna do. That they were gonna have to Penga just there while he was sleeping. But like, if I'm having a babysitter, I'm getting out of dinner and bedtime duty. You're doing it like I'm if I'm going out, I'm not gonna go out at nine nine.
Speaker 2: I'm asleep by nine I.
Speaker 1: Gotta so in my mind, I'm like, you're gonna have your boyfriend over when you have literally nothing but NonStop things to do. But it is if they go to bed. Sure you're just sitting on a couch watching TV, Eat and Bonbonds. So Corey's picking up what Sean is putting down. Corey Matthews a parent's worst nightmare.
Speaker 2: Lock up your daughters. The hormones will be a fly in tonight.
Speaker 1: The audience whoooooo at the idea of teens getting it on, and Corey asked, Sean, you believe me? And Sean admits no, but you're very And then nine thirty see what happens. And then we're at Chubby's, because where else would you be. Eric is on his date with the vagabond singer and she's communicating with him solely through her guitar and song. She sings, I got interested in music when I saw my first Broadway show. Eric grabs her guitar. Corinna talk, It's okay to just talk. She starts to talk normally. She saw Annie as a kid and felt like it spoke directly to her. Eric asks, did she maybe mention that you should write something with a little more edge? Coarina laughs and points out that he sounds just like her uncle with the record company. Eric shocked, you have a record deal and she tells him not yet. Uncle David doesn't think she has enough edge. He seems to think I don't have enough life experience yet. Eric pleads with Earth, that must have really put you in a bad mood, brought you down, put you in a dark place. Karina laughs and Eric realizes she has no idea what he's talking about. She doesn't have a dark place. She's still laughing and admits, I just did what I always do. I put my feelings in a song. Karina starts to sing again, this time thanking her uncle David for refusing to give her a record deal. As she continues her song, everyone in Chubby starts to stare at her, which she doesn't seem to notice, but Eric does. Will what do you remember about doing this scene and everything this whole week.
Speaker 3: The whole week with her? First of all, she could not have been a nicer human being, so super easy to work with, and you never would have known that this was her first thing, not just because she was so comfortable from again, as we were talking about from the table read, you're sitting there with an established show. Everybody our table reads were, especially by season four, were big deals. I mean there was you know, fifty people there, people from the network, everybody from all the producers. She comes in with her guitar, she starts singing, immediately sings every song is impeccable, dirt like it never like writer said, it never changed impeccable during every runthrough, through every scene. So we had these scenes and we just kind of had this vibe going between the two of us, and she was just so good. You know who else was great? Shout out to all the background actors I know whose responses to the songs going on were phenomenal and they they do exactly everything.
Speaker 4: How people feel about her music.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then the waitress Jackie. Jackie was Jackie who was our stand This must have been.
Speaker 4: Her first season. I think it was so she get there for the later years, So this must have been her first season. She was before season.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, I think she moved to like North Carolina.
Speaker 4: North Carolina was an artist.
Speaker 1: She's a mixed media artist. Yeah, she's actually if you guys want to check her out. Her Instagram is at j A c q U I f e h l Jackie Fell f e h L. So yeah, she's I.
Speaker 3: Know, wow, Yeah, a terrible joke.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that I didn't hear you. I didn't hear what you say said.
Speaker 3: You spelled it out, Jackie Fell. I said, I'm glad you got up.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: No wait, but the other thing that was really so this this scene kind of took on a life of its own even after Boy Meets World. So I had signed a deal after Boy Meets Roll was done to do you know, it's called they're called whole deals. It's kind of like you're signed to the network, but they don't have a specific project for you, but they might want to put you with somebody, maybe you'll create something, maybe they put you on another show. You can't go on another network, but they pay and they pay well. So I got a call from Phil Rosenthal, who did Everybody Loves Raymond, and said, I'd like to sit down and have a meeting with you about the possibility of maybe doing your own show. So my agent and I went in and sat down with him, and I said, we started talking and I said, oh, are you a Boy Meets World fan? And he said, I've never seen Boy Meets World. I've only seen one scene you've ever done, and this was the scene. Wow, so he that's why he said, it's like the next one, No, this one, this one with the check with the love of guy, that's the next one. Oh is that the next one? I thought this was so that one with that was the scene that he does.
Speaker 4: It's perfect, Like it's just put that on like if you put that on your reel.
Speaker 3: Like that's essentially what he said that He's like, I saw that and then you know, obviously you know you can do anything, but it was just that one scene. So yeah, it was great. But the writing is also how do you know? I mean all that I didn't Addlebenia And people always ask like, how much of it was you? One hundred percent? The writing fluga part of your brain removing it. It's your commitment and transitions, like it's yes, you're able. There's a great scene though, but let's stick with the scene we're in. Sorry, Yeah, but I just remember it was a wonderful week working with her. She's was just so good and yeah, yeah, became a big fan of hers.
Speaker 1: After this, we're at Tapanga's babysitting house. We get the exterior of a new house, which leads to another new set. The mom is quizzing Topanga on important things she needs to know before leaving. Billy's bedtime, nine pm, emergency numbers next to the fridge, most important rule, no boys at all. Tapanga opens the door as the parents are leaving, and oops, Corey is standing there. He quickly grabs a jug of water and pretends to be the water boy, but Tapanga assures the parents he won't be staying. But the mom changes her tune. Oh, when I said no boys, I didn't mean this kind of boy.
Speaker 4: When you were talking about your accent. This woman is she from She's doing like a Bill Daniels like it's that proper American. But I just thought it was so fun. It was like, this is such a boy meets world and she's great, but it's such a boy meets world thing, right, Like if you're poor, you have a Southern accent, if you're.
Speaker 2: Rich, you.
Speaker 3: Between exactly.
Speaker 4: She's like, does she like literally have a pearl necklace on? Tap just say this boy, this amy moth a British accent it's like it's that Bill Daniels in between. You can't quite do it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, so weird. Also, rookie move, Corey, you wait till the parents on the door down there.
Speaker 4: He's always going to be making rookie mistakes. That's the definition exactly.
Speaker 2: We love it on him to leave. So she tells her husband, this is Amy and Allen's little boy boy. The husband is unamused.
Speaker 1: Corey corrects her, I'm Amy and Allen's dangerous little boy. The husband, who might be on Kayludes, tells him.
Speaker 2: We're all dangerous in the beginning.
Speaker 1: The mother says they will be out late, so if you two get dozy, just take a little nap on the couch. The husband leans to Corey. Very comfortable couch. You lie down on it, you'll think you're dead. It's wonderful, and I truly feel like I know everything I need to know about this man and how he feels about his life.
Speaker 2: And he has barely even opened his mouth.
Speaker 4: Great performance, great writing, three or four lines. We have the whole history of this relationship. Yep. It puts us into the next scene. Perfect, It's great. It's poor man Sitcolm.
Speaker 1: Greatness it's just very wonderful. So Ta Panga tells Corey, I'm glad you came over, dangerous boy. She tells him to get comfortable on the couch and she'll grab them something to eat. Corey says to himself, all right, cozy couch, empty house, dangerous guy. Everything is working out according to plan. What could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 6: On?
Speaker 2: Cute Little Billy pops up from behind the couch and gives Corey a wet willie. Cory asks, can I help you with something?
Speaker 4: I know disgusting?
Speaker 2: Doesn't react, and I'm still reacting to it.
Speaker 4: He really does. God, oh my god. If there are certain things like my son cannot do like will It's like no, no, no, dude, I'd rather you pick your nose and eat it. But if you touch me with your finger in my ear like I will lose it.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I shall tell you're not allowed to one of those.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I'm gonta wet willy's on the plane the whole time.
Speaker 2: Now, will it can even come near wet?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: I'm away, yay, Yes, I'm gonna get you. I'm gonna give you wet willies while wearing an I love liquorice shirt giving me WILLI the worst?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know how he doesn't react, It's just I'm literally I'm still reacting.
Speaker 2: So the boy giggles, you're Morgan's brother. Corey is unamused. Aren't you supposed to be in bed?
Speaker 1: Billy tells him, I got a Nintendo sixty four bit upstairs. No one has ever called the Nintendo sixty four a Nintendo sixty four bits.
Speaker 4: A Nintendo sixty four bit sixty four bit.
Speaker 3: Also, there is something with our writers, producers or just wardrobe where if you're a little kid, you need to be in full pajamas, pajamas like it's the seven.
Speaker 4: And then and then Morgan with the big slippers later like the big fuzzy animal slippers. Yeah, it's just gonna make them a little kid like, it's so amazing.
Speaker 3: They're all linked.
Speaker 1: Twenty so Tapega walks in just as the boys are about to run upstairs and asks Billy what he's doing up.
Speaker 4: Okay, I watched this moment over and do you notice how coordinated Ben and the kid are in this beat? When you walk in the door. It is one of the funnest but they match each other. They both have their hands in the air like they're caught. I go back our listeners to go back and watch it. You come out of the kitchen and they both stop and clearly the kid or Ben decided to do the exact same thing at the same time. So they're both like caught with their hands in the air and it is his. They're just matching. It's so it's such a visual gag, and I can't decide, like I'm assuming the kid is imitating Ben because he has a standout for no reason. But it is one of the funniest visual gags. It's just like they're both like like literally hand in the cookie jar, like they're both reaching like it is so funny. Oh, I was like, well, I went back and watching like three or four times.
Speaker 2: I was dying.
Speaker 4: It's such like an actory visual gag. It's so good. Uh.
Speaker 1: Corey tells her he's got sixty four bits and to Banka counters he's got nine o'clock bed. Corey asks for five minutes, I really want to play Tapanga leans down to Billy. I'm obligated to follow the rules your parents have clearly laid out, and as she's speaking Corey's behind her, mocking her. Tapanga whips her head around and asks what he's doing. He carefully says, I love you, and Tapega tells Billy to get to bed right now. He pleads, can I watch TV? Corey answer sure, which I love sure? Topanga tells him no, scolding Corey. Corey immediately blames Billy, asking what were you thinking? Then we enter a very meta little bit here where Billy tells them it's the Friday night lineup. To Panga asks what does that have to do with anything? And Corey explains the Friday night lineup it's only the best shows on TV. You walk into school Monday morning and you didn't see the Friday night lineup?
Speaker 2: Forget it?
Speaker 1: You got nothing to say. Tapega's upset with Corey. He's undermining her authority. I am this child's babysitter, and I take my responsibilities very seriously. And as she's talking, Billy is now mocking her behind her back to Panga whips her head around and asks what were you doing? And Billy repeats what he heard Corey say, I love you.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 1: Tapanga asks a giggling Corey, you think this is funny. He stutters out, no mistress to Panga. I think it's the opposite of funny. I think it's wood and.
Speaker 4: It's so funny. So much the writing of this scene start to finish, I mean, what is this like five seven fifteen, and it's like, I don't think there's a wasted beat. Now every it turns, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It is so good.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think it's wood.
Speaker 6: O good.
Speaker 1: I think it's wood. Billy pleads, at least let me watch my favorite show. It's on right now. Depeanga tells Billy it's nine thirty. She knows he doesn't stay up past nine. Billy explains it used to be on at eight thirty, but this year they moved it to nine thirty. Those idiots.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, our listeners probably know, but like our show got moved to nine thirty.
Speaker 3: This is all?
Speaker 4: Is this our most meta reference since Bill Daniels did the Like, I wouldn't know what it's, I wouldn't know what the writers got it?
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, this is also it's it's such a long it's a whole meta scene from here on out basically, and then it comes back a little later.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's a it's a it's a building.
Speaker 4: Kid gets acquainted with the universe, like.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Corey is shocked they moved it to nine thirty. Why, Billy yells, no one knows. Kory asks, was it doing badly at eight thirty? Billy tells him no. Kory asks, then why didn't they leave it alone?
Speaker 2: And then Billy shouts, they're trying to kill it. They're trying to kill it. Corey shakes his head. Those are bad, bad people.
Speaker 1: So yeah, to explain even a little further, being on at eight thirty is a more ideal time slot than nine thirty, because even though eight to ten was a block of family shows, the shows earlier in the evening, when you're a kids show, at least when you have younger kids, would get better numbers than the shows at nine thirty. So this was all a reference to the inner fears and explicitly stated fears of all of us working on the show.
Speaker 2: What's this is going to do?
Speaker 4: So suddenly that it was. It was a brazen move by Michael and the writers because this would have been delivered out loud to the network at a table read so at her label read, we would all gather and it would be the first time that the network would hear the script and actually probably read it. I don't even know if they would have had it the night before, because oftentimes the script would be finished that morning, right, our scripts then, right, so we'd be sitting there at a table read with network executives. There's usually three or four that come to the table read, and they would have been sort of forced to hear a kid actor delivering lines that are basically mocking them, calling them idiots to their face in the context idiots, and like you know, I mean, this is the kind of stuff that Michael would do, like you know, and it's kind of brilliant because, you know, standing up for the show against network executives. I mean it could be extreme, and you know, it doesn't always have to be conflict based, but in our case, it was very conflict based, and there was a lot of challenges and there was a lot of pushback, and so this was like kind of a brilliant chess move writing wise, to like do this because it's too funny to not put on the show.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: Also, yeah, it's it's brilliant.
Speaker 3: I just think it's one of the thing I remember that. I remember the run through. I remember how we do we would do well, no, but the run through I remember specifically as a network run through, the the you know, the run through for us, and then we would do the network run through and the network run through our ever, the network like putting their hands in their heads and shape. I mean they were laughing. Yeah, and we knew it was gonna exactly like they had to do it. So it was. It was great to take.
Speaker 4: And what's so great about it is it wasn't I mean, our audience would have also gotten it, you know, because our audience was also like, why is it nine thirty exactly?
Speaker 2: And you have to change my schedule?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's a it's a perfect medice.
Speaker 3: I think that the shows after US got worse ratings until Sabrina and then got better rating For sure beat us.
Speaker 1: So Corey shakes his head. Those are bad, bad people. To Panga tells Corey that they need to have a little talk. Corey pleads right after the show honey to Pega snatches the remote from his hand. There will be no show. She tells Billy to get to bed, and Billy obliges. Corey compliments her work and says, now it's just you and dangerous me on a cozy couch. Tapega starts pushing him to the door. He is going home. Corey asks why she'd want to be there alone, and to Panga yells, you have no idea what this is about?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: Corey argues, yes, I do, and it happens to be a very important issue, not just to me and you, but to all men and women in relationships both here and abroad. To Penga reiterates the exact same way, you have no idea what this is about?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 2: Corey groans, do I ever?
Speaker 3: Do I ever?
Speaker 1: Billy now runs back into the room, telling Cory you're missing a real funny one. The curly headed kid keeps on digging himself in deeper and deeper.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on good. While Cory is digging himself deeper and deeper. The kid calls it out as the show. I mean, just brilliant writing. This is like post modern self referential, like it's just layers. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: And then to put the little cherry on top, Corey says, I love that kid.
Speaker 3: He's such a doufe, such a doof perfect word.
Speaker 2: Perfect word. So then we are back at Chubby's. Eric and Karina are still on their date.
Speaker 1: Karina is going on and on about what her uncle David could have possibly meant by life experience. Eric is stacking his French fries into it Jenga tower from boredom.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Karina explains she's been to sleep away camp and she once got on the wrong bus and.
Speaker 2: She even had a goldfish who died. Eric guesses suicide wasn't ken is such a funny line.
Speaker 4: This is the scene. This is I would see the babysitter scene and then into this scene are two of our best scenes ever, back to back.
Speaker 1: It's completely agree. Just nailed this huge chunk of the show.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Corona laughs, oh you. This inspires a new song and people and Chubbies get up and leave. Once she starts, Eric can't handle it anymore. He grabs her guitar and he tells her okay okay, sh and he yells for the check. Karina asks if something's wrong, and Eric says he noticed all of these people were watching her and listening to her song, and he's afraid they would steal it and sell it to Andrew Lloyd Webber, who would then write a three hour musical about her dead Goldfish.
Speaker 2: Coarna gasps, what he call it, Goldie? Eric tells her, no, he'd call it.
Speaker 4: You would call it that Jackie like loses it in the backround.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's where Jackie spins around. It's so great, Karina explains. When I got up this morning, I had no idea I meet someone I was going to spend the rest of my life with and all our lives to come. Eric admits he doesn't know how to say this, so he's going to choose his words very carefully.
Speaker 2: I think you're a psycho.
Speaker 3: I think you're a psycho. Good men and women on dates have wanted to say that so badly. I just want to say I think you're a psych.
Speaker 2: I think you're a psycho. And this is not going to go any further.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Karina's confused. Eric continues, I'm just not the guy for you. You need a guy who's happy and perky all the time. Maybe a guy who's had part of his brain removed and thinks he's a bunny.
Speaker 2: And you guys can do it.
Speaker 5: I really that was the.
Speaker 4: Most nineties thing probably I don't think you do. I'm not probably the most nineties thing. Yeah, I used to say that all the time, right, like, oh he's.
Speaker 6: So such a such a psycho, he's such a like I feel like we used to always say that, I mean never say in just this episode we can say we some people push.
Speaker 2: We don't say bum, we don't say psycho.
Speaker 1: We we probably actually wouldn't even say supicide, we'd say unlive.
Speaker 3: It's alive itself did it? And later down the line, you wouldn't be making fun of a guy by just assuming he was exactly.
Speaker 2: That wouldn't in the nineties. Eric, That's that's the exactly.
Speaker 3: Super such a guy thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we very nineteen nineties six.
Speaker 1: It's very ninety six, and we have for the most part chosen to say we will mention when something doesn't necessarily age well. But we also realized it was recorded in ninety sixteen ninety and we we don't like to we don't. That's how what you that was just unfortunately, except for better or worse, that's what.
Speaker 2: You did, and it is what it is.
Speaker 3: So we're not we don't do on it. You are a psycho bum, Yes, you were a cycle there's you should alive yourself because you're a gay cycle bump in the nineteen ninety six Wow a.
Speaker 4: New T shirt, new merch psycle bomb.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: They're trying to kill it. They're trying to kill it. They're trying to kill it.
Speaker 2: Karina asks, you don't want to see me anymore?
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 1: Eric swiftly replies, Oh see, it's not just that I want to put you on a rocket ship and send you to the planet.
Speaker 3: Fluf fluga, fuf fluga.
Speaker 4: Oh you already I missed it. But my one of my favorite, like I think the best way that it goes her songwriting and her saccharine misc goes over the top is when she.
Speaker 2: Goes chew chew che Oh my god.
Speaker 4: That is such a brilliant moment. It's like, because you can established she writes these songs from when she goes and we the book get the fluid goes stop like that. That's like, it's perfect, It's perfect.
Speaker 3: I remembered every single song, did you. That was the thing that made I couldn't along with every single song. I remember, yeah, oh man.
Speaker 1: And then she strums her guitar and Eric realizes she just played a minor chord. And again, when you talk about the transitions, writer, he this is exactly in this scene. Specifically, the way you go from like, oh, fla fluga to that's a minor chord is so good and it's so funny.
Speaker 4: This is all.
Speaker 3: Obviously based on Alanis Morissett was huge at the time. Yeah, so Jaggie Little Pill I think came out in ninety five or ninety six. So this was all based on Alanis Morissett, of course, of course.
Speaker 1: I mean she specifically mentions, yeah, her name is mentioned later, which is good that.
Speaker 2: There's at least a nod to.
Speaker 1: Karina starts to sing an edgy song channeling Alanis Morrisseid or Fiona Apple, with lyrics highlighting her heartbreak from Eric. She continuously calls him shallow boy. And those who are left in the restaurant, including Jackie, who is now dancing, she actually loves this song.
Speaker 3: Very happy with the dancing in the background. She's like going at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then we're back in the school hallway. Corey walks up to Tapanga at her locker. He thought they could grab a bite ski at this charming little place called the Cafeteria bite.
Speaker 3: Ski bite Ski bite Ski.
Speaker 4: I just thought of Broski and bro Ham and Nosiski.
Speaker 3: A bite ski.
Speaker 1: Tpega harshly asks what would be the point Corey. Corey rattles off the three points he's hungry to Benga's girlfriend. It's taco bar Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Tapega worridly asks, you would feed tacos to our child?
Speaker 3: Red flag? Red flag?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is where story is a little, of course, but I like knowing she's a little unbalanced.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Well, well, sure, at least at least they're both psycho. I have never I have never held back when I thought that Corey was unlikable. And so I'm just gonna say to Panga, sucks. In this scene, she is handling what could be a totally normal conversation in a psycho way. For no other term, she's just crazy. And for me, the issue, I can't even believe that there's actually a real issue, which is, like, Corey, you came over to my job that I get paid for and you completely undermined me. That made me, that didn't make me feel good. And if here's a version of conflict, there's a version about our future child and him being a parent, there's actually something real there to talk.
Speaker 4: About is pretty funny, like Corey's reactions, like, that's the thing is that I think the writers just loved watching poor Corey be likely kissing and unfortunately it's an echo of what Eric's going through, right like you have you have the the psycho woman trope being played out in both storylines, and unfortunately it's just really funny.
Speaker 2: It is, so it's just too good.
Speaker 4: You could see that they were like, maybe it doesn't make sense. And even the fact that Tapanga just resolves it, like she just comes back and says, I love you anyway Corey at the end of the episode indicates that they didn't really know how to write the situation so that it actually made sense. But it doesn't matter, because the experience of comedy.
Speaker 1: Is just I know, And so I would just like to say, it doesn't change the way I feel about the episode. It doesn't even change the way I feel about the scene. It's all very funny, and Corey is so funny in his reactions. But I didn't want to not mention that Topanga is acting like a psychopath because we have a few times mentioned when we have felt like Corey has done it, So I in We are a fair show, I would go.
Speaker 4: To the extreme. I would go to the opposite, which is people's ability to connect with children is more rare than their ability to be authoritarian as a father figure.
Speaker 2: So the fact that Corey.
Speaker 4: Could connect with this kid and and make him laugh is make him at the greatest skill that you could. You should look forward to partner and like for her not to recognize that, for the show not to recognize that, like, oh my god, Corey bonding with this little boy, that is rare, especially for men, you know, in the nineties, to like to like want to bond to a kid and hang out with him and play video like that school that's there.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I you know what. I agree with you. So she's wrong, she's wrong, and she's.
Speaker 3: I just like to know, though that she's not perfect. I like knowing that she's all.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: She isn't because truthfully, one of if I were to overall and we'll wait till we get to the end of the show, because I obviously have there's so many episodes coming up that I don't know what they entail.
Speaker 2: But if I had one criticism.
Speaker 1: I think thus far of Tapanga is she was written in such an idealistic way. She is, you know, except for these moments, kind of an unrealistic portrayal.
Speaker 2: Of the pert woman. So anyway, it doesn't change the way I feel about it.
Speaker 4: Love the scene, love it, but just I think the Penga does become overbearing and controlling, like that ends up being the thing.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's a perfectionist and she holds Corey to too high.
Speaker 1: Of a standard, right, But I feel like even in that, unless I'm wrong, and I might be because I have no idea what's coming. I have fully blocked out five through seven, seasons five through seven in my brain. But I think she recognizes it, Like I know she knows she has this, Like, oh, I know it's terrible that I'm obsessed with all a's but it's just who I am. So there's like a more self aware version of being unlikable.
Speaker 2: But maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.
Speaker 4: We actually already have seen that. Remember when you were like demanding with the tape recorder in Phoene's face, like tell me the answer, tell me, Yeah, I can't help myself.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Corey freaks out, are what you and I are going to have a child. We've only kissed. I mean, I know it was a good kisser, but wow, wow.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Tapanga explains our future child, the one we'd have if we got married. Oh, that kid, would I feed him tacos?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Four for ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Cents, It's gonna be Taco crazy, Taco crazy to Beanga explains she's really upset with him and asks if he knows why. Corey guesses something I've done or haven't done, or did do but didn't do properly.
Speaker 2: Now with that said, Taco, that's where that started.
Speaker 3: So Eron and Jack do that later on dates Taco really, and I thought it was an Eric thing. I did not know it started with Corey.
Speaker 2: That is a one hundred percent Michael Jacob's thing. Yeah, I remember, I remember.
Speaker 1: I can picture him right now doing it. Tanga doesn't budge you let Billy stay up last Friday night. You'd rather be pals with our kids than a strong, responsible role model. Corey, at the risk of being argumentative, reminds her they don't have any kids. Tapega says, and we're not gonna you know why, and Corey guesses because we're just kissing. She tells him a family falls apart if there are not strong, authoritative role models at home, but Corey retorts that it wasn't their home or their kid. I'm sure what you're saying probably makes a lot of sense, but right now my blood sugar level is.
Speaker 2: Dropping, and all I want is a little taco.
Speaker 1: Tapega says, if that taco is more important than their child, then this family has dysfunction written all over it. She storms off, and a giddy Sean appears, asking Corey if he wants a taco. Corey a defeated Corey size, I don't think I'm supposed to have one.
Speaker 3: Great read, He's like, looking around, like, I don't think I'm supposed to have so lost awesome. The curly head, curly haired kid keeps digging.
Speaker 2: It deeper and deeper and deeper. And then we're at the family Wilderness store. Eric is working in. Corey and Sean run in to ask him.
Speaker 3: A question, and I think, writer, this is probably the start of you and I not being able to work together.
Speaker 4: Because we're laughing at this.
Speaker 3: We look like we're you look like you're about to break most I'm I'm just not looking at you, like I literally I don't think I make eye contact with you once during this entire scene.
Speaker 1: This is another one of those scenes that like writer mentioned, which was such a brilliant point that sitcom acting is so much about committing and transitioning. This is another one of those scenes where they present you with thing after thing after thing, and you come up with a new one for everyone and someone. I mean at the end when you're just smiling and saying you're famous, when just before you had been arguing so committedly that it wasn't even about you.
Speaker 3: Is so great.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you?
Speaker 4: You were a whole scene is And the way it's blocked too, Like Corey and I come in, we're like one force. Alan's on the other side, and you're in the middle just bouncing, just bouncing between like what we talk about this opening though, I went back like three times, like what is going on with the noise? The sound do you guys?
Speaker 3: Do you guys hear It's terrible, It's no it's the whatever.
Speaker 4: I was like, what's going on? I literally sound in my room and I was like, is something.
Speaker 2: We paused it twice because I thought it was our baby monitor. Yes, I was like, the children are doing a weird thing. By the way, little critique not a good enough joke.
Speaker 4: No, no, it should have been set off. It should have been said. But because it happened, the sled dog reference was made after you'd already heard it for the first thirty seconds, so you're already like we would. But if you set it up as like, oh, we're listening to this crazy thing and then you hear the crazy thing, I don't know. Yeah it's a summer.
Speaker 2: It wasn't, and it was like not loud enough.
Speaker 1: Had it been louder where it was obviously coming from the set, you would be like, so eventually they're going to acknowledge what this is right or this is going to pay off.
Speaker 2: But it was like too low. It was mixed weird. Yeah, okay, so uh, Corey and Sean run in.
Speaker 1: They asked him a question, you know how you got this great new job with dad and your life's finally beginning to come together. Eric nods that's over. Sean asks CD player, you got one. Sean hands him a disc and Eric says he just has to pull out the sounds of the sleeping sled dogs. CD Sean explains, we were walking by Varsity Records and we saw them putting these in the window.
Speaker 2: Eric looks at the cover. Hey, this looks just like Corinna.
Speaker 3: Sean album like a day.
Speaker 4: Sean nods, actually, is I mean that is like the Insurgent that her uncle did it, which worked well, yeah earlier.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, ain't that a hoot? Sean says.
Speaker 1: Eric's astonished that she was able to put out a record so fast, but then he sees the words Uncle David's Records and Tapes on the back. Alan notices the warning not suitable for children. Eric plays the first song and it's shallow Boy. Corey points out, wow, she sounds really angry. Sean nods, yeah, and that was the ballad. Eric says, there's two billion people in the world. She could be angry about anybody. Sean reads the back of the case, track number two. Eric matthews, you're so vain. You probably didn't know the song before this was about you, and Corey says, all signs point to you. Eric says this is just something her uncle put together in a booth somewhere. It's not like anybody's gonna hear it. Then Sean turns the radio on and perfectly timed DJ announces, if you thought Alana's held a grudge, you ain't heard nothing yet. Her name is Karina, and she's real mad at some pitiful creep named Eric Matthews. This one ought to be on the charts for twenty years. Eric smiles as the song plays. He finds the silver lining in a very Corina way.
Speaker 2: I'm famous, I'm famous.
Speaker 1: Such a brilliant scene. Uh so, I mean, will you just carry this whole episode so beautifully? And then we're in the Matthews living room and now I noticed, did you guys notice the family picture does have.
Speaker 2: Lindsay in it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Does it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: We took a new one and Lindsay either it's a new one or they fote they put they put in a photo and it is lind Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I meant, I didn't think it was photoshop.
Speaker 1: I literally thought maybe they cut her face out and literally just stuck it on there.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't notice that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Lindsay is in the photo. Yes.
Speaker 1: So Corey is reading a book on the couch as Amy enters and says it's so good to see him studying, And then she reads the book's title, So you're going to be a daddy?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, suddenly I have no legs.
Speaker 4: The book who David Phddah?
Speaker 2: I love it so much.
Speaker 1: Cory says, it's not what she's thinking, miss dirty mind. Also else do you expect her to think, Miss dirty mind, you're reading a book about being a daddy. Is acting like she's crazy? Cory says, it's research. One day Tapega will be a mother and I'm going to be the father or.
Speaker 2: The uncle or the way I'm going the guy down the street with the monocular.
Speaker 1: I just want to be ready for whatever it is I'm going to be, and I want to know the uncle. What is happening here? Did he mean the same way you guys are Uncle Will and Uncle Wryder? Or does he mean he needs to again?
Speaker 3: Eric might have a stranger the world.
Speaker 4: Sean will have kids and he'll be like uncle.
Speaker 3: Then the funkle, the right, the funkle right, the knuckle funkle buncle flip flap knuckle.
Speaker 1: Guys, guys, I was reading I was reading some of our emails last night, and somebody wrote in there that all they could think of during our phil Leads story was.
Speaker 2: Nothing on your broccoli flaps, and I just I want you to know that is ruined my night.
Speaker 3: It also I ruined your broccoli.
Speaker 4: Your funkleun on your broccoli flaps.
Speaker 3: Oh god, oh that even hurt me with your broccoli flaps. Oh.
Speaker 1: I tell you you know, you really you have to You have to prepare yourself before you read our emails sometimes.
Speaker 4: So we listen to podcast or.
Speaker 3: Oh yikes.
Speaker 2: Amy assures him, you learn from experience.
Speaker 1: Your dad and I weren't prepared in advance, but we did the best we could and we ended up raising three wonderful, well adjusted children. Eric walks in right on Q announcing, now I'm a maladjusted woman, hating loser freak.
Speaker 2: Amy corrects herself. Okay, two.
Speaker 1: Corey asks if Karina came out with a new song, and again on cue, Morgan walks down the stairs singing the new Corina song about.
Speaker 3: Eric Ben and they couldn't hold it together when this is and we talked to her about this when she was on the podcast. We just every time she came down singing. We don't know if it's because she committed so hard and she's so it was so good, but it was like then she come right in our ear, and we just we couldn't hold it together. We could not hold it together.
Speaker 1: I could see it a little bit on your face, and I remember when you guys talk to her about it. And she then takes off her headphones to say, I can't believe you're my brother. Ew Eric explains that this is a very difficult situation. Karina is a sweet girl with a great artistic spirit, and it would be wrong to crush that. Morgan bursts back through the door, singing the song, suggesting Eric might be gay. Eric, here's this in yell's Okay, this chick is toast, and again, because in nineteen ninety six, this is the worst insult you could hurl at a teenage boy and also the most common one.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, everything about this is very ninety six.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's ninety chick is toasted.
Speaker 3: Yep, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Alan then walks in and innocently asks you remember that girl who was playing guitar in front of our store.
Speaker 2: Eric sarcastically says, no, and I love the way you do.
Speaker 4: Know you get away audience. Being this awful to Alan would have been like whoa, dude, whoa? But we are so on your side.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Alan hands Eric a piece of paper she's looking for you. Eric reads it and says she wants to meet me later. I bet she wants to apologize. However, as the viewer, we gather, I don't think this is the case. And then they're at Chubbies because where else would they meet?
Speaker 3: I ask you.
Speaker 1: Eric is sitting waiting for Karina when we see an edgy girl and all black walk down the stairs, and this is such a cool reveal of her that she's now just She looks at Eric with pure hatred. She tells him, I'm surprised you had the guts to show up. Eric snaps back, I'm surprised you're out when the sun is up.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 4: You know, something just occurred to me. This is a great This is one of the like legendary Eric episode. And interestingly, Eric is very smart. Oh yeah, is very quick, very witty, Like that is a witty joke and like suicide was it? Like you actually have it's a it's a it's a It's a rare example of Eric working very well as a smart character. Yeah you know what I mean, Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: It made me think like sarcastic, witty, that kind of yeah, it's they we we hit this this tone for a little while, and then I think it just cause again I don't know where we're going. I kind of know where we're going. But randomly, on the Instagram machine a I was scrolling through and a clip popped up from season seven of the when the Brothers hold a uh uh garage sale, and I watched about ninety seconds of it, and I was like, wow, Eric, I mean, it's it's like cartoonish.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you becoming so it's it's.
Speaker 3: It's where where it's coming from here. To seeing that in the same day was like, oh, it's too completely, too completely different characters.
Speaker 4: And I think episode to episode that's understandable. I'm just yeah, I just wonder if we're going to be burned out on it by season seven, you know where I do think it becomes it becomes the like, especially once Jack enters the show, Eric really does just become the absurdist.
Speaker 3: I mean it's you know, YE was watching it. I was like, Oh, it's really is a living cartoon character.
Speaker 4: Right because right now we've been balancing it, you know, we have the like his brain activity is not as high as that mouth. And they have this episode and you're kind of like, all right, it's.
Speaker 3: You know, a moment to moment, but yeah, so much like we were talking about how this is peak Danielle but in her personal life as a character, this might be peak Eric, right, like where he's kind of the best will in a personal life that's down the line. I haven't even come close to that yet. We're I'm still attaining that because I've got so much growth to do, because I'm awesome but about to get even more awesome.
Speaker 4: Eric.
Speaker 3: This I think might be kind of of like the perfect wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Fair right, Yeah, where you've got a job, you've got whip smart like wit.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we're just going to discover that season four is the best.
Speaker 7: I mean, so far, so good after another Like me, I mean we said so many legendary you still have the one. I think that the episode, all that stuff is season yeah, right, I think Singled Out I think is season four too.
Speaker 3: When Chris Hardwick comes on.
Speaker 1: I mean there's a lot that's I think the Nasir Broccoli Week is Yeah, Phill leads kid, I remember, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Corina flips open a small notebook and writes down mysterious vampire references from a pseudo angry man. Eric nervously asks what she's doing. She says, I just write things down from time to time. She says, so, uh, why else don't you like me? And Eric admits, well, you're making my life miserable. I just want you to cut it out. Korinna opens the notebook up again. Mew meow came the sound from the whining cat.
Speaker 2: What else you got up to you?
Speaker 4: It's it's a good choice to not have her with the guitar in this one. Yeah, it would have been too much, right, Yeah, it's like one because we already had that that scene, multiple scenes with her like playing everything. So to have her just writing it down very smart, very smart writers part because it would have just and you know, they had a draft where it had her doing the guitar thing. Again. Really, let's pull it back.
Speaker 2: It worked.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Eric gets up to leave. He said his piece. Karina jumps up to stop him. I know you've got lots of anger. Yell at me, dump me, make me feel bad. Eric pauses and realizes she's out of material. Karina denies it but Eric knows that's why she had to see him. She rolls her eyes. That's not true. Eric continues, Uncle Dave needs some more angry songs, and you don't have him. Karina assures him she's a very dark and edgy girl. She has tons of songs. Eric asks, you know what I see.
Speaker 2: When you when I look at you dandelions.
Speaker 1: Eric starts to push the tiny vase of dandelions on the table closer and closer.
Speaker 4: A little bigger. Even in the previous scene, I was like, wait, what are they referencing? It just needs a little cartoon.
Speaker 2: Must not have been dandelion's season.
Speaker 3: Correct, And it's nice that there's fresh dandelions at Chubbubbies on the table. Of course.
Speaker 4: Of course, also for the first time, Chubbies is not a counter service. Don't just check to trying something that week.
Speaker 1: Were so pretty dandelions and flowers on a sunny day. She stutters she doesn't want to look at the dandellions. She'll lose her edge. Eric encourages her, I know your true self. No, Karina insists, I'm a trouble twisted soul. You know nothing about me. Eric starts to sing the sun will come out tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that when and Karina finishes Tomorrow. Karina breaks into full song and Eric tries to leave, but she notices. He quickly runs back to her and they sing the rest of Tomorrow together, getting a loud applause from the audience. Lesha came in hot. She knew everything about this character. She totally nailed it.
Speaker 3: So s this scene though, so where we record it. We film it once and she like's kind of standing backstage. We're talking about it and she walks up to me and she's super serious and she's like, can I can I talk to you about something? I was like, of course, what what's going on? She's like, I didn't want to say this, but you're starting the song too high a pitch and I can't get there. Can you drop the note? I was like, oh god, of course, of course, but I thought i'd like done something raw. Like she was so serious about it. She's like, yeah, it's just you're you're starting a too high a note and I can't. Yeah, so she's like, can you please started him up? And it was like she felt bad about coming over and asking me. I was like, of course, of course, Like I seriously thought I'd done something stone face something.
Speaker 4: Yes was do you remember if Ray Colecourt was on set for any of this?
Speaker 3: I don't. I do remember it was Michael who because I think we both finished the song in one of the takes and Michael's like, no, become the conductor. Do this. He's like, you know, do something big like that.
Speaker 2: So that was another Michael joke, got joke that you doing that is so funny.
Speaker 3: It's great, And that was all Michael. But the yeah, I'll never forget that. I thought I'd done something so wrong. And she was like, can you can you start the note lower? Like, oh, God, of course, sorry, So that's why I start with the son.
Speaker 4: It'll come like down right, you're a little lower, right, so she can go high.
Speaker 1: Well, then we're back in the Matthews living room. Corey is reading a bedtime story to Morgan. As to Pega secretly walks in and observes he reads that night the Purple Duck taught all his little friends to go to bed early, to eat our green vegetables, and that there's no reason to be afraid of the potty. Morgan notes that little purple Duck is quite the overachiever, isn't he? Corey tells her it's time to go to bed. Now go brush your teeth. Morgan fights back, Billy Epperson said at his house, you let him stay up late and watch TV. Corey asks, have we learned nothing from the Purple Duck? Morgan pouts, You're just making me go to bed because i'm your sister. Corey tells her, no, I'm making you go to bed because i'm your brother and I love you. Morgan leans in and kisses Corey on the cheek before retreating upstairs to Panga, who's been watching like a creep the whole time, is smiling when Corey finally notices her, did you come over to yell at me some more? She says no, she heard he was babysitting, so she thought she'd bring him some tacos. Corey hesitantly asks if this is a trap to Pega says she just figured it. Empty house, cozy couch, dangerous me, and maybe you. Corey says, before he lowers his shields, he wants to know what made Topanga change her mind. She admits she just thought she just thought about it.
Speaker 2: On camera, that we're young, so we're not having kids for a while, and maybe by the time we do, you'll be a pretty good dad. So it's a novel process. She just thought about it. Off camera.
Speaker 1: Corey agrees he'll be a great dad because because kids respect him. As he's saying this, Morgan has made her way downstairs and is sneaking all of her little friends in through the front door. Corey continues his speech, oblivious to the kids. He calls himself mister discipline. As Topanga points toward the stairs, Corey sees what's happening and says, so we will have kids.
Speaker 2: And then we're in the.
Speaker 1: Tag at the Wilderness store. Eric is tagging items as the radio plays in the background, and then we hear tagging.
Speaker 3: In the tag.
Speaker 1: We hear announcer voice, We've got the latest single by that angry young lady, Corina Collins who's taken the country by storm. I haven't heard this one yet. It's called Fuzzy Wuzzy whoa. The song starts to play, and it's official. Coriina has completely lost her edge. She's singing about wanting to cuddle a boy. The DJ cuts it almost immediately. Wow, that's bad.
Speaker 3: She is over.
Speaker 1: Eric laughs maniacally as he finishes tagging his items.
Speaker 4: So great, it was great.
Speaker 3: It is season four, season hot way hot Yeah, Hot hot hot Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of podmets World. Please join us for our next episode recap, which will be season for episode six, Janitor Dad. It originally aired October twenty fifth, nineteen ninety six, on.
Speaker 4: Episode Yeah, and we just keep alternating Eric Sean, Eric, show Sean.
Speaker 1: It's really really good, And then little announcement. Pod Meets World now has an official TikTok account.
Speaker 3: You're welcome Rider, You're welcome writer.
Speaker 1: Our official TikTok account is pod meets World Show. There is another TikTok account that is maybe pretending to be official, but tis not ours is podmeets World Show. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: And we have merch merch.
Speaker 3: For the love of God, will someone bring me the merch. I was gonna do merch flap, but I figured that was good. Oh my.
Speaker 2: Podmeets Worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 3: We love you all. Pod dismissed Podmets World is niheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong Executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmeats Worldshow at gmail dot com