Speaker 1: Hi, This is Zach Wheeler. Welcome to Philly Shows.
Speaker 2: Especially rest yesterday today.
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, welcome to the Philly Show Live from Manco and Manco and Ocean City. Ruben Tomorrow, Junior, Jim Salisbury, I'm Todd's a lucky We're super excited. Friday, July seventeenth, twenty twenty six, a date, when a date. We're excited to be back at Manco. We love Manco. I just had some the other day during the home run Derby hit the spot, hit the spot. During the home runner, I had a whole half of a pizza which I should not have had.
Speaker 4: Not good for my you know, for my weight, but very very good for my tummy.
Speaker 5: I eat it almost every day at the stadium and I can't button my pants.
Speaker 6: But where the magic happens right back here.
Speaker 3: That's all right. We're excited about this show today. We've got Larry Bow, We've got Charlie Manuel, we got Brandon Duckworth Shore, we see Tom McCarthy stop home. We've got a lot of heavy hitters. I saw the line outside and I said, wow, is this for me? Then I realized who was all coming on the show and coming to watch the show today and we have other famous people too.
Speaker 4: Dave Bucket is here, Buck is herest grand with this year is here, There you is, and my Ben, Greg Castriados here and everybody in the fact.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for coming. We've got a lot of talk about. Let's talk about some current events. There was some big news yesterday at the ballpark, some monster implications for the Phillies at the trade deadline, So it is time for Monster Moment. Monster Moment is powered by Monster Energy. Yesterday got to the ballpark and Don manningly reveals with the Phillies revealed that Brad Keller has a UCL tear in his right elbow. His season is over two years, twenty two million dollar contract in the off season. The Phillies were obviously excited about that move, thinking he could be a big setup for the Phillies. Guys, we've been talking on this show for weeks, maybe months, about how the Phillies are gonna need to go out and get some relief help. And now that that need, that desire just escalated like one hundredfold.
Speaker 5: No question, it makes the need for bullpen help more acute. We kind of thought something was going on with Keller when he didn't pitch over the weekend in Detroit after he had come back off the IL, pitched in Cincinnati, and he's going to get a second opinion. But he's done for the season, and I would I would imagine the way these UCL UCL tears go, he could be done for a good portion of the.
Speaker 6: Next season as well.
Speaker 5: So they need to go out and find some bullpen help because since June one, the bullpen eira is over six, and since July one it is over eight. So I think that kind of is glaring that that has become their big need the bullpen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question about it. We've been talking about the bats.
Speaker 4: You know, why are the bats and we need the bats in the playoffs and all other stuff.
Speaker 3: The reality of it is.
Speaker 4: And we've talked about this a million times, some of the biggest reasons why they did not win the World Series the last few years is because they haven't been able to shut down teams late in the game when they've had leads, and so this is a real issue for them. They do have some big arms in Alvarado and Kirkering and some other guys, and now you know see Jonathan Boland kind of stepping forward, But the reality of it is, none of those guys have really performed in the playoff scenario. And so, boyle boy, it's going to be incumbent upon Dave Nebrowski and his folks to try to add that piece because this is a playoff contending team and a World Series contending team, and certainly that bullpen is a important piece of it.
Speaker 3: So Rubin, a few months ago you had mentioned a role as Chapman as a guy you would personally love to have. Now the Red Sox have kind of crept into the Al wildcard race, so I can't imagine that they would trade him necessarily. But do you think the Phillies need to go out and get a player of that ilk, a stud late inning, lockdown setup guy for Juan Duran? And then secondly, how difficult is that going to be? Because listen, the Phillies do not have a deep farm system, They don't have a lot of talent to give up, and you're not going to be able to give up, you know, your number fifteen prospect to get a lockdown late in any guy. So that's a challenge.
Speaker 4: Well, to answer your first question as far as getting a lockdown guy, yes, I do think that they need to try to do that if they can.
Speaker 3: The second part.
Speaker 4: Of this question is the most difficult part of it. Now there's a guy named Mason Miller that's going to be available. Now, I will tell you this, A J Preller is one of those guys that loves Latin American players and Latin American prospects in particular.
Speaker 3: Now I know the Phillies have a big one in rent area.
Speaker 4: This kid is a stud and we'll probably have Larry Bowa maybe talk about him a little bit later on in the show up.
Speaker 3: He's actually gotten a chance to put his eye as he and or Charlie.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's the guy, but I gotta believe that a J Preller would covert that type of player because he loves those kind of players.
Speaker 3: So he would have to be a piece in that.
Speaker 4: But Mason Miller, for me, if I was sitting in the GM's seaton, I would be eyeballing him because the Padres are basically out of this thing.
Speaker 3: And and I think a J Preller is gonna.
Speaker 4: Do a little a little bait and switch action.
Speaker 3: What do you got, Jim Well.
Speaker 6: I love Mason Miller. I love that idea. I've loved it for over a year.
Speaker 5: I would love to see them getting a hunt from Mason Miller last year. He still has three years of control beyond ash year, so there's great value in that. He's he's absolutely locked down. I mean, you put him in the in the eighth going into Doran, because I don't think he can take the closest role from Durrand the performance he has given the Phillies over the last year. But I mean Mason Miller, I would he would make you stand up and take notice. What you mentioned about Preller and the lotten players. They have another one in Marquette Pitcher from Mexico who is really opening eyes in the system. But I think you'd have to consider gauge Wood in that and where this team is, you know, with the age of this team, the payroll, UH, the desperation to win and win now, and what Mason Miller could do for you. I would send some serious talent U San Diego's way to get him not.
Speaker 6: Only for this year but for the next two as well.
Speaker 3: Bold Bold, big game hunting. I would go big game hunting, brother, So that's just me. Would that include a two that would have to include a Gauge Wood or an Andrew Painter. I would I would think him right.
Speaker 4: I would think it would have to take multiples because Mason Miller is under control.
Speaker 3: He's got a tremendous amount of value.
Speaker 4: You saw what aj Preller did with Juan Soto. I mean, he's gonna try to get as much talent he possibly can if that and that is probably the biggest guy on the market. Everybody's looking for this type of a player, and if he does become available, man, there's gonna be a it's gonna be tough to try to pry him.
Speaker 5: And the way San Diego has emptied out their farm system with them falling out of it, they're gonna be looking to restock that Thompson. Now it's gonna take multiples. He's got a hell of a trade ship there, because that's a guy who can propel you to big places.
Speaker 3: If you fall short through. Because the competition for him is going to be so intense, I guess you just have to try to get what you can do. The marginal upgrades we always talked about that with Pat Gillick would say, incremental improvements, incremental upgrades, so anything is better than nothing, I guess, yeah, no question.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's gonna be very difficult for Dave ne Browse to come through this trade deadline without making a move. I know how difficult it is to make trades, and they do not have a ton of pieces to do it with.
Speaker 3: But you know, he's in a tough spot.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, these veteran players, the Harpers, schore Beers, Turners, the Zach Wheelers of the world, they are waiting and hoping JT. They're hoping that that there's an addition to this team, one or two over them to help this team try to propel them to the next level and get it to the World Series and win it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they don't care about waiting on those prospects. They want to it now and they want to have a big addition to that team. And the most glaring need now is late leverage bullpen, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Isn't it crazy how volatile the relief pitcher market is. You think I was just looking last night at some of the Philly free agent relievers that were available in the offseason. Edwin Diaz has been hurt. Robert Suarez right now has hurt Ryan Helsley has heard. Devin Williams has an ERA of over four and a half, Phil Maton era over six, Fairbanks in era almost seven. You know, then you have other guys that have hit. Luke Weavers pitched well, Kyle Finnegan has pitched well. Monster Energy Unleash the Beast, bold moves, legendary kick feel your game day, Grab a Monster Energy drink at your local retailer. Today, we're back to Philly Show Live at Manco and Manco and Ocean City. Charlie Manuel, Larry Boa. We're excited to have him, Larry Larry uh Jim asked Charlie earlier about Trey Turner at the plate. You know, defensively, he's had some struggles this year. You played the position as well as anybody in baseball history. Really, what do you think is kind of going on? What do you think he can do it in the second half to be a little bit more of that lockdown, shortstoff that you gotta have.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I think I've seen him make great plays this year, but I've also seen him I think a lot of it comes to concentration and he's really upset with his offensive where he is right now, because this guy's hit three hundred almost every year, and I think sometimes I he's never said this to me, but this is just me.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes he might.
Speaker 7: Take a lasted bat out there, or baby a babe bases loaded and pop up a pitch that he thought and the next pitch next time up ground ball. Mentally, he's got the skills and the guy works. I don't want to hear people say he doesn't work. He takes his ground balls every single day. Last year I thought he did tremendous at short stock, and this year so far he's taking a step back. But I expect him to get hot. You know, people always getting on his defense. But I asked a couple of people yesterday, how many games do you think And I'll ask you guys, you guys watched all the game. How many games do you think we've lost because of his defense?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a good question, that's a good question.
Speaker 4: I mean he's put some he's put some heat on the on the starting pitchers and their pitch counts.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I agree that in particular with Chris Sanchez a few times. But as far as losing actually losing, maybe just.
Speaker 7: A couple that's That's that's the point I try to make. But you're right about the pitch count. But when they say, ah, he's lost a ton of he hasn't lost a ton of games. And he's gonna get hot offensively, and I think they go hand in hand once he's swinging the bat the way we know he's capable of. Last night, he got a home run late in the game. Hopefully it'll carry over tomorrow we have a day game against the Mets. But once this guy gets rolling, not only is he gonna it's gonna solid it by his defense, it's gonna make our lineup much better too. When he gets on, all kinds of stuff happens. And you know a lot of times when he's not hitting Schwarb and Harper coming up with nobody on there, but he's he's gonna hit. This guy can hit, and I think he's gonna have a good what we call second half. There is about what seventy games left I think he's gonna do.
Speaker 4: Okay, I want to go down memory laying a little bit here, Charlie, and I want to talk to you about the uh your tenure as a manager here. I mean, obviously had an amazing run. What was your shit other than obviously winning the World Series in two thousand and eighties, what was like your favorite thing to do while you were managing?
Speaker 3: Because you've done.
Speaker 4: Everything, a lot of things in the game. You've been in Japan, you played in the major leagues, You've done a whole bunch of stuff. But as far as was your for some of your favorite moments over the last you know, over.
Speaker 8: Over your career, during the course of your career, I think, uh, first of all, I love the game. I loved the gamut the game ever since I was a little boy, and I've been very fortunate and lucky to be able to stay around any game one time. And uh, I the teacher, and I love to communicate with the players like most no and I like to like.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I.
Speaker 9: Want to be streaked enough we can be this one enough to handle the game and be more and be I like specialist professionally.
Speaker 3: I like this.
Speaker 9: I think if if you a good dis one person, then you when you have a good discipline, but at the play there in the field, when you play playing game, I think if you don't have no discipline, that you're gonna have a hard time I think that when you go go go up to play the hit, I think it's you be negative, not positive, and things in the run run of doing your mind like you you know, you hit yep and things, but you gotta be totally relaxed thinking what he's want to do. And actually, I think if you really get down on that, when you really concentration, who's pitching don't really matter.
Speaker 3: I totally agrees.
Speaker 10: So I'm just gonna say this, I'm gonna throw this commercial with that. I spent a lot of time with Charlie. Charlie was my hitting coach when I was playing for the Cleveland Indians at the time. I will tell you that Charlie Manuel was the hardest working hitting coach I've ever seen. He not only worked with me he was a terrible hitter, but he worked with guys like Manny fer As an album Bell and Jim told me and made them great rate hitters and in a lot of cases he helped make them Hall of famers. So I appreciate everything that you've done in the gage, Charlie, and what you did for me and those players as well.
Speaker 6: So it's Ruben and Charlie go way back. Ruben I think I quinn.
Speaker 9: I think I.
Speaker 6: Wool for guy.
Speaker 9: Everybody who play baseball, you know me. When I see supposed to guy, I'll say something. Micro pitcher mad.
Speaker 4: Hey, I used to be in the minor leagues, but I played in the minor leagues, said Charlie.
Speaker 11: Was a manager for a team in Colorado, trans who's a Triple A affiliate for the Cleveland Energy and Idiots.
Speaker 4: And when other guys on other teams on our team would hit home runs, he would stand up and cheer for them.
Speaker 6: This starting pitcher's hating it.
Speaker 3: Problem. Charlie.
Speaker 5: You used to have an expression coach killing before you work for the guy and he never gets any better.
Speaker 6: He's killer.
Speaker 3: That's what are you referring to? Jimmy, Who are you referring to? Ruben fair Well?
Speaker 9: The man in Cleveland? And somebody asked meant but flayer? And uh yeah, I didn't fall was down on my marred or didn't like him, but I don't well he worked.
Speaker 5: Hard personality, So let me ask you both know Ruben in a lot of different ways. But Larry, when you managed the ball ball called the assistant cham when you managed ball club, Charlie, he's the GM What is the interaction like between the manager and the GM in the front office at this time of year when you have a good team that has laws or holes and the trade deadline is approaching.
Speaker 6: Are you in there every day saying give me this, get me this.
Speaker 7: But what does uh I had when I managed, I had Eddie Eddie Way. I thought he did a great job.
Speaker 1: He was great with me.
Speaker 7: He would come down and we talked before every game. It wouldn't be a long chalk maybe five minutes. And then if we're on the road, he didn't go on every road trip. He would call and check in. But as far as what you need and everything, it has a lot to do with the money. Like when I had that team, they didn't have the payroll wasn't that big, and we were close in the three or four years. We needed a little jolt and we really didn't get it. One thing about John and the new owners. They have that that money and they know that this window here, I'm not saying it's closing, but it's it's starting to go the other way.
Speaker 3: And we got it.
Speaker 7: We got a good lineup, we got good starting pitching, and we got to fill in these voids here going down the stretch. There's no question about that. But you know, I think you don't have to ask the manager what they need. I think they're very knowledgeable up there. They know they know exactly what the Phillies need. Eddie knew what the Phillies needed, and he was honest with me. He says, we just we can't spend the money. Which, hey, as long as he was honest, that's all you can do.
Speaker 3: Well, Larry, Charlie, thanks so much for coming on the show. We really appreciate a lot of fun. Hilly Legend's Legend, Charlie, Emanuel, Larry bo thanks so much, guys.
Speaker 6: That was awesome.
Speaker 3: While Larry and Charlie Remigana moving, our friend Ruben har Yes, got something to tell us. Yes, indeed, Big weekend, Ruben, Big week, Big weekend.
Speaker 4: The World Soccer Final is Sunday afternoon. It's Spame versus Argentina, Yamal versus Messi. You can bet on all the final match action on Sunday live. Betting on the World Soccer Championship is better on the bet Parks Online sportsbook and casino app. Joined and get in on the action. The Betparks Online Casino.
Speaker 10: And Sportsbook app is the only app that I recommend, and the Betparks app has special World Soccer Hub right in the app with all the odds boosts plus team and.
Speaker 4: Player props for this Sunday's final match right now.
Speaker 10: New customers get up the five hundred dollars casino bonus fact plus five hundred bonus spins on the new soccer themed online slot.
Speaker 4: Game Goal Goal Goal. Collect them on bet Parks.
Speaker 3: You can get all.
Speaker 10: You can also get enjoy the classic casino games like blackjack, poker, and craps right on your phone wherever you are. Make your downtime some fun time terms and conditions at betparks dot com. You must be twenty one in Pennsylvania, Jersey, Maryland, Michigan. Casino bonuses must be wagered. Gambling problem one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 6: Oh Dunkling Riot.
Speaker 3: We got Brandon Duckworth coming up in a second. That was fun. I love talking, you know. It's a great scene, Charlie, and we're at.
Speaker 4: They are very very special human beings and Philly legends, and anytime we can spend some time with them and pick their brain is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: And it is always awesome to see them walk into a room anywhere, really in the ballpark, light up people. Yeah, they bring an energy, people get excited everywhere we go. They sit in the in the back of the press box a lot and people walk by.
Speaker 5: Wait, you know next month is Alumni Weekend.
Speaker 6: They'll get the two biggest chairs on Friday night.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is. It is pretty cool. Yeah, it's it's a lot of fun to talk to those guys. You just see them down spring training obviously also a lot of fun. Brandon, can you hear us?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 11: We got Brandon Tuckworth joined the show with everybody what Philly's former Phillies picture and now he works Now he works as a scout for the Yankees.
Speaker 3: We have Brandon on last year? Was it? It was around this time last year, right right before the trade deadline. So you're kind of like our our trade deadline scout expert comes on.
Speaker 6: And gives us. He gives us all the secrets.
Speaker 4: I tell Cashman every year that he gives us all the secrets.
Speaker 10: What is uh?
Speaker 3: You know, what's this time? Like, I mean, it's busy time for you obviously, right, Yeah, crazy, it really is.
Speaker 12: It's crazy because they're telling us Okay, we want you to go to this place, and then if you only get a couple of games here and then you move to the next and then it just all depends because now with so many teams in it, right, you're literally a series away from being out.
Speaker 5: Of it, right, So, uh, tell us all the stuff the Yankees are going to do. We won't tell anybody.
Speaker 12: Well, I wish I knew yet, but you know, I think the biggest thing is anytime, like right now, we're missing Aeron dregs. It's that's you can't fill that hole, period. So we're waiting on him to come back. Stanton obviously another injury. Max freed, so we have our own internal guys. It's almost like a trade deadline deal coming back. So we just don't know when they're coming back. But I think, just like everybody in baseball, you need to strength from the back end of your bend. And we have a pretty good starting rotation, I would think, and now if we can go out there and do what a lot of other clubs are trying to do, it's I just have a bad feeling it's going to be an expensive, expensive trade deadline for whoever gets Legit back in bullpen.
Speaker 2: Guys or legit starters.
Speaker 4: Hey, so I'm kind of curious. I'm not sure how much of the American League that you've seen, but it's pretty obvious that the American League seems very, very weak, very very I don't know, I guess you can call it parody, but it looks like, you know, at least in the Central and in the West, it just seems like they're just not really great teams.
Speaker 12: Why do you think this is happening? And what is the trend? Like, what's what's going on with these clubs? Oh Man, what I think the big thing is is pitching to me is everything and the American League East, it just seems like all we do is beat up on each other and then out West, I haven't seen many of those teams. So the Angels have always had some talent, but we never played to expectations. Now, Oakland was always a team that would kind of moved team, you know, players around, and then Houston used to be legit and now you're starting to see some cracks in their armor. And you know, some older players that have been there for a long time, and Texas has some players and now they're starting to step back up. So you know, I don't know, it's just I just think it's one of those cyclical things where one league's going to be a little bit stronger than the next. And it just seems like being able to watch the National League East, it's just like, man, this was a juggernaut. When you have Atlanta of how they were in last year, they were injured, right, and now everybody's playing well. And then you've got Philly that has such a strong starting rotation and then established stars like you know, I know Trey Turner isn't playing up to his capabilities right now, but I like what was said. Sometimes guys bats, when they go dead a little bit, they're having some issues, other things kind of revert backward a little bit, but once they get going then they can really take off and carry a club.
Speaker 6: He was spot crappy and they got arms and they're hungry. I mean, that's it is a tough division.
Speaker 2: No, there's there's a lot of teams that have really stepped up this year.
Speaker 12: A lot of younger players, say, like the White Sox for example, they've just made strides and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, wow, maybe it was a little quicker than they anticipated.
Speaker 12: Lord of the same thing you know, down in Miami they have a lot of good young athletic kids and they're playing.
Speaker 2: They're playing for fun.
Speaker 12: You know, they're out there and you know they don't know what they don't know yet.
Speaker 4: Things you could beat, you think, and then a least well, I mean.
Speaker 12: That's a tough one because you look at the starting pitching. Whoever's starting pitching can roll them. I think, as we said, we've always said it. Rube said it earlier, Voe said it. Good starting pitching and good pitching in general will be good hitting.
Speaker 4: You see Toronto Bluejays because it seems like that's sort of a hangover year for these guys. They had an unbelievable season last year and a.
Speaker 6: Lot of guys.
Speaker 4: But is it a makeup thing, is it a hoosier thing? Is it an interesting By and large they have a some very similar team and it seemed to like add pitching to it. Why are the Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: Struggling so much?
Speaker 12: I think a lot of it is the hangover. I mean, that's a long season. None of them have ever played that long, so I think you don't have much of an offseason. You know, you only have a month month and a half and then you had some of their stars, like Gladdie Power isn't there this year, you know, for whatever reason, and he's he's bound to come out of it.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna last like that forever.
Speaker 12: And I just think it's one of those things that it's it's hard to go back to back to back, you know, back to back years, throwing up great numbers, throwing up great record. I think that's one of the biggest things, is the hangover from a long season and it went all seven games.
Speaker 3: Brand Jim and I when we were driving now and we were talking wondering about there's so many teams still in it, So how challenging is that going to be? Just in general, like maybe in your job, or just as a trade deadline approaches, trying to you know, trying to figure out who's going to be available, who might not be available, Who am I scout? Am I wasting time scouting this team? Or is that challenging there's so many teams still in it with just a couple of weeks to go before the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely challenging.
Speaker 12: I mean our front office, will they all have the dialogue rhythm could you speak to this like you're going to have a dialogue with a lot of clubs and then you're like, Okay, who's most likely and here's the ones that are a little bit more likely. Maybe they're still in it, but then they kind of send us all out to those spots and then we go from there and then you know, it's it's all targets.
Speaker 3: So vo. When Larry was on here a few minutes ago, he said when he saw Aid Miller play, he said he reminded him of Connor Griffin a little bit. I'm wondering how many times you saw Aid and play and what your impressions were of him before he got hurt, because man, the Phillies need him to get healthy and be the guy at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a special player.
Speaker 12: He's got various tools, Like he has a chance to be a really good Major leaguer. For a long time, I saw him in a ball and then early on last year in DOUBLEA where he was making the adjustments, and then all of a sudden he started to make those adjustments. Yeah, but I think a lot of people didn't realize how good of a defender and how good of a runner he could these until really late last well last year for sure, because I think he stole like fifty something year.
Speaker 3: Yeah he did.
Speaker 12: Yeah, But the year before, I think a lot of people thought he was going to be a third baseman. And then I remember watching him and I'm like, this kid can play short We all were like wow, Like I think in the offseason he must have done some serious work because his first steps, instincts just improved, time clop, all of.
Speaker 2: That, and you know we left everybody as.
Speaker 4: Of every day measor league shortstop at this stage.
Speaker 3: Could he could health?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think help is first, no doubt.
Speaker 6: Have you seen the Phillies system or much of it this year?
Speaker 2: Not this year.
Speaker 12: I've seen a little bit of double A, but that was early on in the year because they've they've switched our coverages around. But you know, over the years, I've always had the Phillies you know, farm system all the way through. So you know, I think that's that's the big thing is anytime you're going into a trade deadline, the higher end prospects that you have, you're gonna you're gonna be able to talk to a lot more teams.
Speaker 5: Just run across cage wood in your Travels in the last couple of years. Or Marquez the uh, the young pitcher from Mexico that is really sort of exciting people in the system.
Speaker 2: I have not seen gage Wood yet.
Speaker 12: I saw Philly early, I mean renting early on in the year, and now it he's there, so I haven't seen them lately. I'll see them a little bit later on. And then I saw Marquez just real brief on the backfields. And then Florida Complex probably get a couple of years ago. I think it was last year. But you know, there's there's some arm talent there with those guys, know I do know that. And now it's a matter of you know, what are you trying to go after and what are you.
Speaker 2: Willing to give up?
Speaker 12: Because like I said, it's going to be it's gonna cost a lot this year because so many teams are in it. And if there's only five or six teams that truly have what people want, they can almost name the price, yeap.
Speaker 3: That is going to be the challenge. I mean, you know, yeah, the Phillies daviously needs some back end bullpen. What about Andrew Painter, I mean you've seen him last Do you have any theories or thoughts on kind of what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you just before his injury. I saw the chance to see him before his injury.
Speaker 12: Only before the injury, right and everything, because that was when him and Mick Abel were coming through, right, and Abel had a little different fastball than him, but he was more polished the delivery and just the consistency. And then I saw him in spring, and then I saw his first start of the year and I'm like, Okay, hey, he's on his way. And then I haven't seen him since, so you know, I know he's been roughed up.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, coming back.
Speaker 12: From an injury like he had and last year only having that little bit of time, and then to be thrust right into a big league's like, that's hard to do, especially when you get a limited amount of time, and whether it's Double A or Triple A, and now you're expected to make all these adjustments at the major league level.
Speaker 2: It's hard to learn at the major league level.
Speaker 6: Brandon obviously, pitch through the Phillies, pitch the Asstros, and now you see baseball every day as the scouts for the Yankees. How much has pitching changed since you signed your first pro contract?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 12: It's it's changed tremendously, you know, with all the new things, all the new data sets, you know, all the technology that we have. Now, now you can go in and say, oh, okay, now I understand why my stuff plays a certain way. I can tweak this. I can make different shapes. I probably have to shape my breaking ball a little bit different. Okay, the fastball shaping isn't great. Now I'm gonna well, I'm going to make some adjustments on whether it's grift pressures, whatever it may be, to try to get different movement profiles and characteristics that played much better.
Speaker 2: So we can actually validate those things now.
Speaker 12: Whereas before you're like, hey it looks like this or the feel was a thing, and then you relied heavily on your catcher or say in spring training, when we would go in and we'd talk to the hitters, say hey, what is it doing.
Speaker 2: What does this look like?
Speaker 12: How's it coming out? Is it popping out of my hand? Or can you see a different spin. So we were relying upon feedback from not only your teammates, but you know, especially in spring training, but the catchers that are with you and like, hey, this looks a little different. It's coming out of your hand a little differently. So they were no, they were like another pitching pokes. Now you have all the instant metrics that we can look at, but I think sometimes that gets in the way because so many guys are doing those in the bullpens.
Speaker 2: You can't sit and.
Speaker 12: Look at this foeboard to say, oh, that one had this much movement profile or that. I think sometimes pitching is lost feel and everything's about power power power, whether it's pitching, whether it's hitting. So like on the hitting side, you're seeing a lot of guys are trying to launch everything. Everything's in a swing rather thank you know, as we watched the World or the All Star Game, it was b swings that ended up winning the game. Short up, boom, let's stay up the middle, right.
Speaker 4: I think, why do you think that the hitting so far behind the pitching as far as making adjustments? Why hasn't Why haven't more teams gotten back to that, because that's something that I just quite don't quite understand. Why is why are people still accepting on the offensive side is swing and miss?
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 12: I think everybody is kind of one of those things where they're trying to hit the home run because that equates more rather than I don't think they can quantify it as much like, Okay, hey he moved them over, but yeah, but he just hit a ball into the gap.
Speaker 2: That's another run.
Speaker 12: Whereas it's the instant gratification you see the home run. It's more exciting. You know, you can hit a three run homer, but that doesn't win in playoffs, right, It really doesn't like you can have the most powerful lineup, but usually powerful lineups have bigger holes.
Speaker 1: Correct right the exactly now.
Speaker 12: And then on the pitching side, guys have just such tremendous stuff and they're trying to pitch at the top of the zone because the swings have changed.
Speaker 2: And all those uphill pass guys.
Speaker 12: I've just found it watching these guys that dump the back shoulder and everything's going up uphill.
Speaker 2: They can't make adjustments.
Speaker 12: And so when guys are throwing ninety six to one hundred, especially out of a pen, they're just riding at at the top way and we see so much they're.
Speaker 4: Hoping it gets to their barrel.
Speaker 12: They're hoping for a mistake down in the zone. In as we call them, cripple pitch hitters.
Speaker 5: When you're pitch have been what two guys in a bullpen that's through ninety six plus? Oh yeah, and now it's eight deep ninety six clus.
Speaker 12: You got that plus lineups. I don't remember seeing guys hitting under two sixty. It was two sixty to three thirty, and they all had thirty to forty homers on top of them. You know, like I face some of those lineups, Like you know, Ash, there were some lineups, you know, say an old Atlanta Braves lineup, you have some of those guys, or a Yankees lineup back in the day, or the old Oakland A's where they would grind at bats. I don't think people grind the at bats as much, but guys have better stuff that can live in the zone a little bit more consistently.
Speaker 3: Also, can you imagine if Bobby Brio came up and played today, he'd be like a six hundred million dollar player, seven hundred million dollar player, n Ie coming up to back then he was kind of unappreciated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in my opinion anyway, he was unappreciated.
Speaker 3: But your son's here, is he a Phillies fan or a Yankees fans? He's like, I got a roof of the Yankees because dad watched out the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Now if we're in Yankee Stadium, he's got to be a you.
Speaker 3: Okay, there go in Philly.
Speaker 1: We always have an allegiance to Philly for me.
Speaker 2: Playing here, you know, we live in the area and it's phenomenal. The fan base is great.
Speaker 12: You know, I don't think you'll ever see more passionate fans. And you could see that over the All Star weekend when you knowing people that they they cheered were true Philadelphians or the Phillies.
Speaker 3: Guys, it was McGonagall, Trout and it Phillies and everybody else. Can you know, everybody's got to go to hell. The blo Birds were out, that was for sure. That was awesome. Well, Brandon, thanks so much for joining us. I appreciate Brandon duck Rag everybody. We're decided. Thanks Brandon. Well, Tom McCarthy's gonna join us in a second. We are alive at Manco and Manco in Ocean City, New Jersey. Uh, Ruben, we're gonna we're walking on here with some pizzas. Oh yeah, and rub my favorite pizza. Is it called the Ruben? Is it really called official? Quite yet, haven't made it official yet.
Speaker 4: Okay, got it talking to Chuck about the possibility. You know, I got to talk to him. Money, you know, a little residual piece on that.
Speaker 3: I get it anyway.
Speaker 4: Yes, the uh it's the white well what's that? It's a white chicken broccoli.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's yeah, it's coming up. We're gonna have you on.
Speaker 6: I have Prussia.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. Speaking of residuals, but we would get t Mac hooked up. Do you get residuals for the Goldbergs? Your two appearances on Goldberg noween cents a month? Is that for real? I've always wanted to ask you that, like ten.
Speaker 4: Cents to about four dollars a month.
Speaker 3: Really from doing the Goldbergs.
Speaker 4: That's great because sometimes I get like a because I'm part of the sag after whatever. Yeah, and so I get a little residual piece and sometimes I deposit those, you know, one dollar. Sometimes I don't.
Speaker 3: You played a very convincing Ruben Tomorrow Senior. I will say that I'm trying.
Speaker 6: To I get residuals from the flint Stills Barnie Rowe.
Speaker 3: People don't know, yeah, we A lot of people call him Rubbles. Have you ever seen gym on the on the concourse. A little lot of you gets a lot of Stansbury's. That's an old story. Oh that was a great We got Tom McCarthy, Hey, Tom McCarthy.
Speaker 6: Coming on the Police show.
Speaker 1: My pleasure.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: You're not a good listener. If I'm gonna me your boss true for you. Yeah, it is in a pizza place at Manco Manco's with Jim Salisbury Stansbury.
Speaker 7: Tea.
Speaker 3: Did you enjoy the All Star Week?
Speaker 1: I did. I thought it was awesome. I thought everything I loved, how good, how great the city looked. I really did. I loved everything about that. I thought the stadium looked great. I read somewhere that it's aged beautifully, and it has aged beautifully. I thought Tyler Kettner's story about David Montgomery was right on. But that was awesome. I love that Fox acknowledged David as much as they did, And I think that's a credit to the commissioner and to Chuck or as you know, kind of you know, laid that groundwork. So I think all everything that we always thought was great about the city and about the stadium, I think was was on display.
Speaker 6: Uh done.
Speaker 4: Now at the Stellar Games, are there any particular call for chig Mate and career that stand out more than the moments?
Speaker 6: You've seen so many different moments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's been the.
Speaker 4: Colest like maybe top four or five moments that you've had to all a little of your career.
Speaker 1: Well, Halliday's Perfect Game is number one because that was that was such an adrenaline rush to do that. And it sounds strange to say it, but when he did it, we didn't really have access to all the information that we have now from a computer standpoint, so everything was sort of filtered through Chris Wheeler's mind in all honesty as far as the history of the game goes, So we were kind of just going from there. But that, to me, that was one of the greatest opportunities as a broadcaster to do. And then the other game, even though I wasn't on the call, I was on the call was two thousand and eight when the Phillies clinched the divisional crown. I was doing the game on Fox, but they sent me down to the clubhouse to do the interviews. So then Timmy did play by play Mcarver of the Last Out. Now I would have loved to have called the double play between Rollins and Utley and Howard, but it was Mcarver that did it. But the moment was truly unbelievable to be part of. It, really was truly unbelievable to be farder. And then you know, there's so many of them that in reality I probably have forgotten more than I can remember. But the Harper Grand Slam against the Cubs when the Phillies were just awful, it was pretty cool because it was it was I mean, it was a game winning ground slaves and to watch him run around the bases was pretty neat.
Speaker 4: On air. When Derrek Hill made an amazing catch in New York, tell me about that catch that he made in the first.
Speaker 1: Inning, Well, that was that is one of those where you always, like every game, you have to realize that something special can happen, and it can happen in the first inning. You know, to see him do that and you can see it sort of unfolding. It was kind of like his catch the other day in Detroit where he made the diving play in the gap in left center field.
Speaker 4: So to me, that was.
Speaker 1: A great I thought it was a great education for any broadcaster to be ready at all times because it was so early in the game, But to watch it unfold, it was pretty neat.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It was pretty neat, right stumped in the press box and watching him close in on that ball and he's probably like fifty feet away, and I'm saying to myself, I think he's.
Speaker 6: Going to get that ball.
Speaker 1: The way his stride was and everything. I agree with you on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, second half started on Thursday night, Tom. What has you, I guess excited or optimistic about the Phillies going to these final sixty plus games or so whatever the number is.
Speaker 1: I think the biggest thing is the big three at the top of the rotation, honestly, because I think that they are doing something collectively that we haven't seen probably since Halladay Lee Hammills that group there, and it may even exceed that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The the er for Zach Wheeler before the All Star break is second in Phillies franchise history, and I think that he has knocked on the cy Young door and it could be a special second half for him individually.
Speaker 3: I was joking the other day, you know, because Zach obviously took it personally. When a couple of weeks ago, and Don took him out of the game, went out away from the wind and no obviously getting the All Star snub. I said, JT's just got to tell him in the bullpen before every game you realize you're not an All Star, right, realize they're not good. Get him nice and angry, get him lathered up, get him angry, and have him go out.
Speaker 1: I believe he's one of the truly great stories in Philly's history. I do the ascension of Zach Willard coming here.
Speaker 5: It changed his whole career. He's just taking it to a whole differentvel. Do you notice the difference in him this year. Yes.
Speaker 1: So I have always felt, who's one of the better people I've met in this game. He is a He's an everyman person. They'll have a conversation about Chick fil A, he'll have a conversation about Mike and Ike's, and he'll have a deep conversation about baseball.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And you can speak to him kind of like you could speak to Greg Maddox the day of the game. It's no big deal, Like he's out in the dugout the whole time. But I have noticed an even better appreciation of everything around the game this year, and I think it's. Uh, I think it's enlightening for a lot of people. This is no doubt. I think it's I think that's exactly. I think he thought his career was over and he would not be able to come from behind.
Speaker 5: Had him on in Cincinnati the other night after the game, right, yes, and having this great interview with him, and I'm like.
Speaker 6: I don't know if they would do this four years ago. He will.
Speaker 1: He would normally do it if he completed the game, but he would not normally do it if it was seven innings. He would come back out. And I know that, and I'm okay with that. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 3: So were you were you stunned him and he came back up?
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh, No, I knew that he had Oh he had something.
Speaker 3: To say, that's right. That was after the All Star snubbs.
Speaker 1: I knew that there was on his mind.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't, but I did discuss it with somebody else.
Speaker 4: Were you wondering what how exactly far he would go and what he would say?
Speaker 1: He actually knew that he would keep it within you know, within a within reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think I agree with you, Tom. I think he's a lot of fun to talk through. I mean, there was a couple a couple of years ago before I think the NLDS against the Braves. I'm in the dugout and he comes down and he just starts talking to me. I'm like, oh God, I hope no one sees this if the great is bad, because they're gonna blame me for talking to the starting pitcher. But obviously he out and pitched well. But he is that type of guy. He's not don't look at me, don't talk to me before I pitch. Yeah. I've had a few fast food conversations with them over the years.
Speaker 1: And you need to have exact change if you want to buy snacks from his locker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this question to.
Speaker 4: Tom, because you have relationships, and you built relationships with a lot of people in the game, and a lot of players in the game. There are there a couple of players.
Speaker 10: Are a player that Steel like you have like a really cool connection with that people would not know.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he's one of them, honestly, Zach, I really do.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 1: The last couple of weeks I've run into people from my days in Trenton. Okay, you know, and really I ran into You'll remember this one. Clyde pork Chop Hugh the other day. He's Tom Gordon's cousin, so he was at the game the other day.
Speaker 6: How about them?
Speaker 1: So for me, I try, I still try to keep in touch with as many players as I possibly can, just to say, hey, how's it going, or Hey, what did you think of this? Because I do think their perspective is really cool to know those things.
Speaker 5: So, Tommy, I want to ask you, because you are a keen observer of this ball, give me the top three reasons for the turnarofs of nine to nineteen to where they are now, and you know, give me your opinions on all of it, because opinions vary on this topic.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what spring sprung boards this team?
Speaker 1: I believe what strongboard this team was getting rid of the manager that shouldn't that they should have still they should still have. Don's been great, But I think these players were like, ooh, wait a minute, we got to turn this on because in reality, this could change the whole landscape of our clubhouse if we don't turn it around. And I think that it doesn't matter how old we are. I don't know. I don't think it matters how accomplished we are that every once in a while we need to get a right hook to the jaw. And I do believe that that may have been one of the I think we all thought this team was going to play well now. I think they've exceeded expectations based on nine to nineteen, but they haven't exceeded expectations based on zero and zero in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, just that that shock to the system really got them gone. And you hear players say there's really not that much difference with Don and Rob. It's you know, you don't hear anybody like, well, this is he's given us a kick in the butt that we didn't get before. It's they're kind of saying that, you're kind of thing.
Speaker 4: That s bigically, bakeup wise, similar.
Speaker 1: Very similar. I think they're cut from the Joe Tory cloth. I will say there's a couple of things that I've noticed that are different. Don does handle the bullpen differently than Rob does. Guys get up and get heated and don't come into the game. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. Rob would never normally do that. If you get up, you're coming into the ball game. I think that's a little different. I do think one thing that both of them are, and I think maybe Don is exceedingly this is their frank, Like they will say what is on their mind, and he'll do it when he discusses things with you guys too.
Speaker 6: He doesn't sugarcoat, he doesn't come off the top rope.
Speaker 4: No no, no.
Speaker 6: But he also is, like you said, he's frank.
Speaker 3: Did you say that for Ed? Is that why he says that?
Speaker 6: I also think another reason is what you know?
Speaker 4: You make a trade the worst time one of mine dies, the worst time on of my all.
Speaker 5: That old Jimmy, Well you can go you you trade away Taiwan Walker and acquired Zach Wheel or.
Speaker 6: That's a pretty fit modal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, that's a good move.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm all discompopulated with my microphone here. What's the first time you've ever in to Michael, It is the first one time I've used one like this.
Speaker 4: Well, we're very we're very advanced here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I I think my ears are a bit too big for this thing. Yeah, I do your ears keep growing as you get.
Speaker 3: Older and a little colder.
Speaker 1: You do get colder.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, Tom, thanks so much for coming on. Thanks you guys appreciate it. Yes, you got nice little surprise, guys. T matchs Philly Showed shirt. I love this shirt.
Speaker 1: I love the logo.
Speaker 3: And anybody can get their Philly Show gear at the Philly Show shop dot com. And if you're watching this on you you're watching us live, or you're not watching us live, you're watching us after, don't forget to hit that subscribe button. We're trying to get that subscription number of We're trying to catch up to mister Beast. He's at about fifty one hundred million. Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, mister Beeson and us then the Philly Show absolutely so. Now we're gonna have Chuck Bangle, the co owner of Manco and Manco Pizza, is gonna come on the show and join us. Just there's seventieth anniversary as soon.
Speaker 6: Making making friends and kissing babies.
Speaker 3: It's fun having and we had a lot of fun today so far. Larry Charlie Brandon, t mac Parnie Rubbles showed up, Barney Rubbles here we got it all going on. All right, here's Chuck, Chuck, the man, the myth, the legend.
Speaker 6: Man who makes this happen.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's better.
Speaker 4: Mary heious she's here, that Mary's here, excited about that. She's the one who keeps him in lying. Thank god, Chuck.
Speaker 3: Enjoying yourself today.
Speaker 13: Having a great time. Absolutely, we appreciate you coming in. And Charlie is happy, and t Mac and Dave Buck. Everybody's a great time.
Speaker 3: It's been a lot of fun. We're really proud to be part of the show. Yeah, well we're we're we We love having you guys as as a partner of the Philly Show. It's been an awesome partnership. We really we enjoy getting to know you guys and and coming down here. This is our second time down here. It's been it's been a lot of fun. Yeah, so my whole life.
Speaker 13: Yeah so I used to listen to the Phillies games in my bed as a kid under the sheets. When it transmits to radio, oh yeah, yeah, one of them, I would speak it. My parents would tell me to turn off the radio.
Speaker 4: What was what was the first voice? Who was the first was that?
Speaker 12: Who was that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 13: One of those guys, I was a voice Whitey of course, Harry. Uh that might have been somebody to be for a Whitey Ashburns. I just don't remember who Bill Campbell. Yes, I was set outside of my grandfather when he was alive. And we will listen on the radio as well. Off all Philly Sports.
Speaker 3: Chuck All Star Week this week at Citizens Bank Park?
Speaker 13: Was it?
Speaker 3: Was it any different for you and Manco and Manco at the ballpark? I mean it was crazier about the same, I mean crazier. It was exciting.
Speaker 13: Are We rolled out a food truck on Wednesday and made his debut brand new really citizens Bank Way. He was part of the fan fest and the response to it was fabulous. Now the food truck's available for parties and corporate events. We can come right to your house.
Speaker 6: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: What yeah? Now that I like?
Speaker 6: That is great?
Speaker 3: A Maco Bank of food truck.
Speaker 6: You can't come to us, will come to you just pizza. Can you give wings and stuff?
Speaker 3: The next food truck will have the wing contenders. Yeah. Yeah, I mean tell you.
Speaker 4: This because I have a lot of people obviously come from out out of town.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and they didn't really know that much about Banco Maco pizza because they're not vocal folks.
Speaker 4: I had so many people come to me to go, dude, that mizza was awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I'm curious.
Speaker 10: I'm not saying that because you're one of our I've actually had people come through us, and I had people when I was walking through uh the village and seeing people from all types of different places, from different places, and they were saying it was pizza.
Speaker 4: So that's congratulations.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 13: There is also a special year for us. This is our seventieth theory business. So h we're going I have a big party next month to celebrate that. But the All Star week was fabulous. That was my first All Star game ever. Okay, being at one watching on television and being there to experience the whole thing, the pomp and circumstance, all the pageant three was just great.
Speaker 4: Did you get watching like the Philly fans? I mean, because I think the Philly fans showed down. I think there's a lot of great things about us.
Speaker 13: You know that the ballpark, watching the Philly fans here was exciting, and like Tom McCarthy said, seeing the city come alive and decorate and looking great was absolutely one of the best parts.
Speaker 3: So who are you booing? If you find the crowd? Who which players? Anybody not in the Phillies uniform? Pretty much it was like every like we said this earlier, is everybody other than like Mike Trout and Kevin McGonagall, you know, Nick krat guess as well, was that I went to the dirty that that was exciting. I kind of like the old format better though. It's exciting. Well, you and Bryce Harper. Bryce also likes the clock. He says, Yeah, I like the clock. But it's a shame that Kyle couldn't win it at home. But I think it was ragged, but that's my opinion. Your favorite pizza here, white broccoli. Yeah, we have broccoli with chicken, and I like white chicken. I like Reuven. We have that in the background, freshly made for you, waiting to bring it out. Yes. I can't thank you guys enough. It's been an awesome, awesome day. Again.
Speaker 13: Let's do it again. Great, great fans. Like to thank the fans are coming, Yes, like to thank Cindy Webster.
Speaker 3: Yes, Cindy's Charlie and Larry and he's actually taking a picture. I know, I know.
Speaker 13: You believe that he's actually working today. It was, it's been great white broccoli playe say this is this.
Speaker 3: Is like gorgeous pizza.
Speaker 5: You can eat both of these probably right, probably for for an appetizer.
Speaker 3: That is absolutely amazing.
Speaker 13: That's pretty, that's gorgeous. But there shi better pizza. That's the Rubin right there, the moro. You can crush it.
Speaker 3: Go in, go in, deep, go deep, Chuck, So what's up in Chucks? What's the You said you have a party next month to celebrate seven Say that again. You have a party next month, seventieth anniversary of Mayga to Mecca. Like what do you have going on? Like? What for people that want to come down or check it out?
Speaker 4: I'm going to be a gala at the Red carporate event.
Speaker 13: We have some special guests, including the Philly fanatic Scott Palmer is going to be r mc Okay, yeah, matter of fact, all you guys received an invitation. I know Reuben can't make any spalling games in Miami, Miami. You're in Miami, in Miami, well, so well have another one, yes, another one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, seventy five years just for you guys. That's gonna be pretty exciting, is that It's been a fun year for you, a great year. Yeah, I'm seeing Philly's partner and part of your show. Just all makes it worthwhile, very special. I mean I've told you this too, Chuck, is that every time my kids come to a game, I go, what do you want to get? They go like Dad, yeah, dad, why are you even know? They go straight to the Manco, the Manco station. They get the plane cheese and they crush it every single time.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite beachers from when you talk about your best of the best, you have that one feature at least once a week, and it's actually more fun pieces of it because Jim especially has talked about, you know, the big slice, the small slice, you get a little.
Speaker 5: Snice, you get a big slice. Yes, bread and barter Bred and marsh wins it. We worry about getting Carton's beard. Yeah, yeah, we love, we love having you on, Chuck. Thanks a lot, you guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks phenomenal.
Speaker 6: I don't have enough superlatives.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm killing it, Thanks gentlemen.
Speaker 6: Enjoy well, Chuck whistle. I'm not even hurry. I can eat that whole whistle.
Speaker 3: Oh well, guys, we had a lot of We had a great time. Thanks for everybody for coming out to Manco and Manco and Ocean City. Thanks everybody, Thank you having now. Thanks to Lily Bowa, thank you to Charlie Manuel, Thank you to Brendan duck Worthy, takes Atom McCarthy. Thanks to Chuck and everybody here in Manca for making this fill at home. Thanks for the partnership. We love having you a part of the Philly Show team. Right back, and Philly Show. Thanks some job guys, terror so great Webster, absolutely all right, Philly Show guys, We're gonna crush some pizza. Philly Show will be next week.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 4: If you made it this far, you'll love this next video. Check it out right here and make sure you've subscribed to The Philly Show for more Phillies coverage like this, multiple times a week.