Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: You never heard of a person say that one hundred percent of my money was enough, So if you're working in one hundred percent of your salary, it's not enough for you to live the way you want to live, then what makes you think you're gonna retire and then all of a sudden, that's gonna be enough money for you to live.
Speaker 4: My graduates from my school being forced back drop bag drop, Mike, drop back drop drop.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, welcome back, h e yl I'm back home, Dope dope episode. This is something that has been probably over a year and a half in a making.
Speaker 2: Maybe long longer than that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right for COVID the phone heritage supposed.
Speaker 2: To happen, yes, but nothing happens before it's time.
Speaker 5: That's us. So Jamal King, better known as nine to five Millionaires, somebody that we got introduced to a few years ago, super super great backstory that we'll get to just didn't invest fest forward. Thank you for doing that, Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: He has his own investment story. We'll get to that too.
Speaker 5: So, uh, this is an interesting story for a few different reasons. So he's a big time real estate investor over three hundred and eighty units and he's actually in the real estate development game. We'll talk about that. And then he's an entrepreneur. He has a daycare centerce with his wife. I believe he has a security company.
Speaker 2: With his brother.
Speaker 5: But he started out as a police officer. That's why he was nine to five millionaire. So he was a police officer for how many years? Man? Twenty years? Twenty years in Chicago, right, yeah, in Chicago. What area did in Chicago, it's called the Gresham.
Speaker 3: District, So it's right by Inglewood. So just to give you a little context, Chicago during the mid twenties, like about twenty five to twenty ten led the country in homicides, and my district, the Gresham District, led the city of Chicago. Oh that was that was like, so right by Inglewood. Yes, it's right, it's border Inglewood. I was separated by like one street, yeah, Homer Derek Rose exactly.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so you was all right, so and this is an interesting story because you started investing while you were still on the force, right, that's correct, and then you became a millionaire while you were still working. Yeah, yep, all right.
Speaker 2: So nobody had a clue, no.
Speaker 6: Nobody why you know.
Speaker 3: And that's the whole thing I talked about to do it, you know, I talk about just as far as having a vehicle, and the police department for me was nothing more than a vehicle. And so when I got started in real estate investing, I just said, that's just another vehicle.
Speaker 6: I was like, why do I have to stop doing this driving this vehicle?
Speaker 2: I love it?
Speaker 3: So yeah, man, so yep, I started investing in real estate at the age of twenty two, the same exact time I started as a police officer.
Speaker 6: And I became a millionaire by age twenty six.
Speaker 5: So all right, so let's talk about this because a lot of people that watch Early a Lisia, you know, they have regular job nine to five day. They might be a firefighter, police officer, or a nurse, or a school teacher or whatever janitor, and a lot of times people think that, you know, you just work those type of jobs. You get a pension, you live off the pension, and that's it. That's how you become a millionaire. You become millionaire with your pension when you're sixty five. They don't even necessarily think like, you actually can be an entrepreneur at the same time. So all right, let's let's start at the beginning. How did you get turned on the real estate and when did you really start to like hit your stride in real estate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so in the beginning, bro. Before I even get to how did I even get turned on? Like I literally hit the vision that wanted to be a millionaire. Ever since I was a young kid, I wanted to be a millionaire. And I was like, man, look, I never seen anybody else in our community become a millionaire from their job. I never seen anybody become a millionaire from you know, working at nine to five. So I was like, I want to live different. My father was a police officer thirty years on the Chicago Police department.
Speaker 5: You're from Chicago.
Speaker 3: I'm from Chicago, boring and race. And my father was a police thirty years and my mother Cook County sheriff. My mother did twenty years as a sheriff. My brother was an Illinois State trooper. So I had my family. We had somebody to cover the state, somebody else with the city, and somebody's with the county. And you know, the police department was good. You know, it was a good job. It put food on our table. But I was like, man, I want more. Ever since I was growing up, bro, I just wanted to be like a millionaire. And the reason why I wanted to be a millionaire's because I used to look on TV dollar like lifestyles are the rich and famous, and I used to see how they used to always just be smiling, bro, you.
Speaker 6: Know, it just seemed like it was a good life.
Speaker 3: We didn't have interview careers back then, you know, we had with lifestyle of rich and famous, and I used to see them and I used to just look and I'd be like, man, every time the father come home, he's smiling, the kids smiling. I ain't never see them arguing, you know. I used to watch Good Times all the time. Right, that's in Chicago. You always see them arguing, the fighting, you know. But it was always something about seeing these rich people and how they seemed like their life was a little bit different. I used to say, man, I want that. I want that life for my family, but I didn't know how to get it. And so I said I was gonna be a you know, I was gonna make it to the NFL. And when I didn't make it, like ninety nine percent of us, right, I was kind of stuck with, like, what am I gonna do in life? And at that point, bruh, that's when I was just like I was lost. I didn't know what I was gonna do, Like most people, and I did was familiar to me, and I became a police officer because that's who my father was doing, that's what my mother was doing, and that's what my brother was doing.
Speaker 2: Was that at any point that you saw, like obviously law enforcement was in the blood. A lot of times people grow up and they say, like, I want to be different, I don't want to do it. Was there any moment in life when you're like, let me try something different and law enforcement is what you got led back to? That?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: I just did what was familiar. Bro, I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 5: I just did.
Speaker 3: I never wanted to be a cop, Okay, I just did. So I'm not gonna sit here and say like I was looking to be a police officer.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be rich. I wanted to play in the NFL, you know, I wanted to live this kind of life.
Speaker 5: But I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Once I graduated and I didn't make it to the NFL, I didn't know what else I was gonna do. And I think that's like a lot of people that's even listening to us. Brother, you kind of just do whatever first thing that come about. You know, you just take whatever job because it's like, Okay, I was supposed to get a job. I'm supposed to graduate from school, and then all of a sudden, I'm supposed to get a good job, get good benefits, get a pension, you know all those things that you talked about. And with me, the first thing that came available was the police department.
Speaker 6: So I took it.
Speaker 5: So all right, So when did you start investing in real estate? Yeah?
Speaker 6: So right after that.
Speaker 3: So I had a friend of mine whose uncle was a real estate investor, and I seen this guy. Man. I remember going to his house and he hit this. It was in Chicago, was an old greystone bill. And I don't know, you guys from New York, you know the old greystone bills, brownstones Okay, yep, Brownstone, Greystone, and they were this area is being regentrified. And I remember like knowing that the projects was in this area too. But my boy said, like, man, my uncle got a mansion, man, and it's in this area. And I was like, bro, this yeah, right, And so we got on the porch. It was like a huge greystone brownstone looker building. And then when he opened up those doors, man, I seen I'm talking about twelve foot ceilings. I seen this huge mansion, he hit everything inside of it, and I was like, man, what does this man do for a living. And then that's my boy say yeah, my uncle real estate in Vesta. And then that's when they clicked for me, like man, okay, he not playing an NFL. My man ain't win a lottery.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. He literally is a real estate in vester.
Speaker 3: He living like this, He's living like this image that I hid in my mind of how I wanted to become a millionaire, what my life would look like. And so at that point, that's when I met with him and he introduced me to my real estate broker April, and we did this thing where you know where I said that I created this lifestyle for myself, right, I created this whole lifestyle of what a millionaire life looked like. So I said, I wanted to live in this kind of house. I said, I want to drive this kind of car. I said, I wanted to, you know, send my kids. Then I ain't even have kids at the time, but I said, I want to send my kids to this type of school when I would have kids. And then at that point I wrote down like literally how much that cost? How much this whole life costs. I put all of this on paper, and it's crazy because I still got this paper where I wrote it all out, and it was like, this is what my my lifestyle would cost. And then I went and said I was going to buy a building for every single bill that I would have at the time. So if I said I want to live in a five thousand square foot house, I researched what five thousand square foot houses cost, and if the mortgage to that cost three thousand dollars, then I said, Okay, I'm gonna purchase this for you in a building. And after I paid the mortgage expenses, the net cash flow from this building now is two thousand dollars or whatever. How many properties would it take for me to cover this house? And literally I created this whole million dollar lifestyle from one property at the time.
Speaker 2: So that's incredible. So I know I'm sending it as a guy who was in a nine to five hours teaching the number one thing is like and most people they doubt themselves because they say, I don't have the funding. So in the beginning, was it your teacher's salary not your teach salary. But your police salary that funded the first couple of properties. How did that work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my first property, bro, my first property was a four unit building. I had to put down fifteen thousand dollars down. And at this time, I was only making thirty six thousand dollars a year as a cop, and that's for taxes, right. I was making thirty six thousand dollars twelve hundred dollars every two weeks. So I couldn't really I didn't have any money.
Speaker 6: And so what I did.
Speaker 3: They have a thing called uniform allowances with the police department where they literally would give you money to buy new uniforms, to get a vest, to get your gun, to get all these things. And so I knew my family, my parents, my brother, everybody was already police. So I went to them. Man, I was borrowing my dad's vest, I borrowed my brothers, you know what I'm saying, uniform duty belt. I was borrowing different items from different people, and I was just taking the uniform money and I was putting that money in my pocket. And at the time I was engaged to you. My wife now and she would like save one of her checks and give it to me, and so we literally were saving our way to that first property. And that first property we, like I said, we had to put down fifteen thousand dollars on it. I had to sell her actually cover all my carrye I mean, my clothing costs. So I only had to put down the down payment of fifteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: So you said, all right, you start wing you twenty two, and then you say you become million twenty six.
Speaker 6: Yeah, by the age of twenty six.
Speaker 3: How many properties did you have at that point that time? I probably hit about six properties. I know, I was making sixteen thousand dollars a month net cash.
Speaker 5: Flow from my real estate. So you had your portfolio was worth a million. You was getting sixteen thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 3: My portfolio was worth one point seven million. Point bro, It's crazy. I didn't even know I was a millionaire. That's the crazy think about it. Like, literally, I was sitting there doing exactly what I told you. I was buying a building for every bill. I created this lifestyle for myself. And this is when me and my wife was starting a daycare center. We was looking to start the first daycare center, and we went to go get a business loan and we got. You know, they wanted us to come, bring our portfolio and bring whatever else we had, all our financials. And when we went in front of the bank, the London name was Darryl Tucker, and I remember he used to always call me Officer King, Officer King, cause I would go there in my uniform. Well, he looked at my p and ls and he you know, my assets and my net worth. He looked at me and then he was like, mister King, He's like, you're a millionaire. And I was in my police uniform at the time, and I was like, I'm a millionaire. I didn't even know I was a millionaire. And he was like yeah, he's like, your net worth is one point seven million dollars. And that's the thing. I didn't even know what the time, really what net worth was. And that's why I try to show people like bru real estate is the quickest way to get your net worth up if you just think about it. If you guys in the financial world, the average what is the average networth or the medium net worth of a black family is twenty eight thousand dollars twenty eight thousand dollars by the time I was twenty six, my net worth was one point seven million dollars just from investing in real estate.
Speaker 5: So what made you continue to work when you were getting sixteen thousand dollars a month a millionaire but in your net worth? Why did you continue? Because then you continue for fifteen more years after that? Yeah, So what was the what was the drive to just And that's a very dangerous job, you know, in a very tough neighborhood, So it's not like something that's an easy job to do. Why did you continue to be a police officer?
Speaker 3: But the thing about it is you always hear people talk about quit your job. Quit your job. If you want to make it, you need to quit your job. And I was surrounded around on fifteen thousand other police officers. So being to run around all these fifteen thousand police officer, I had fifteen thousand other people that wanted to rent, fifteen thousand other people that I could sell properties to. I told you my wife and I started daycare centers. I had fifteen thousand people that was having children that the police only trust the police. You know, I don't know how it is, but if you think about it, true, the police only trust police, and so now here it is when the police was hearing that, Hey, this police officer got a daycare center. And you think about the police department, it's twenty four hours, it never closes. The fire departments twenty four hours, it never closed it. So you got a night shift, you got a day shift, you got an afternoon shift. We would literally our first daycare center, we made that twenty four hours. So if you think about it, our first daycare center, we held one hundred kids in that daycare center. The average kid was paying about one thousand dollars a month. So our first year in business, we was making one hundred thousand dollars a month from a daycare center.
Speaker 6: And a daycare center was in Inglewood.
Speaker 3: It was in one of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago that we were making a hundred thousand dollars a month from that daycare center. And most of our clients of some of our clients were police officers, were firemen, were teachers. When they found out that a police officer own this daycare center, then at that point everybody was like, oh wow, it's safety here, you know. And so I never felt the need to have to quit my job. It was like I got an ecosystem of police officers here that needed places to rent, They need places to live. I was flipping properties to police officers. I knew they had safe, secure jobs. Matter of fact, I was walking up to the lender that first told me that I was a millionaire, saying, hey, you need to get approved for this property through here and so and then. Another thing that I was telling you about before was that I looked at everything as a vehicle. You know, how many vehicles do you have in your garage. I talked to people all the time. They got several cars in their garage, but they feel like they only could have one job. They only could feel like that. You know, I only could do one thing. And I never looked at it that way. I looked at it like, look I can, I can work as a police officer. So the police department was my hootie, right if we just break it down. Vehicle A wait, that was my HOOTI. That was my dependable vehicle. That was my Toyota Camry. Every single day, I know that car will start up right no matter what. The real estate investing to me was like my Catillac Escalade. That was something that to get me through the snow. That was something that I wanted to travel. The daycare centers was like another vehicle. So every business that I had, everything that I did, I never felt the need to get rid of another one. You know, every millionaire has at least seven streams of income. One of those streams of income is earned income. So the police department was my earned income. That was that stream that kept the benefits right. It kept those those things that we have as a user teacher right, and so your pension, you know, your if people be so quick to lead their job, and it's like, look for if everybody out here is like Troy, you know where you you know, lead your job and then started a podcasting nor more podcasts in the world.
Speaker 6: That's cool. But for the most people, for the regular people, bruh, I got a wife.
Speaker 2: There's what's going on. As you gear of a fall. You need the right people on your team to help your small business fire on all cylinders. LinkedIn jobs is here to make it easier to find the people you want to talk to faster and for free. When we're looking for a sound engineer, a graphic designer, or an editor, LinkedIn jobs is the first place we go. Create a free job post and minutes on LinkedIn jobs to reach your network and beyond to the world's largest professional network of over eight hundred and ten million people. Then add your job in the purple hiring hashtag frame on your LinkedIn profile to spread the word that you're hiring so your network can help you find the right people to hire. Simple tools like screening questions make it easy to focus on candidates with just the right skills and experience, so you can quickly prioritize who you like to interview and hire. It's why small businesses rate LinkedIn jobs number one, and delivering quality hires versus leading competitors. LinkedIn Jobs helps you find the candidates you want to talk to faster. Did you know every week, nearly forty million job seekers visit LinkedIn Post your job for free at LinkedIn dot com slash eyo that's LinkedIn dot com slash eyl to post your job for free. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 3: Bro, I got kids like I just can't afford to just quit my job and just take a leap.
Speaker 6: You hear people say all the time, Man, just take that leap, brother, Just go ahead, take that.
Speaker 3: Leap and I say, man, look, look, the time is gonna come and you can know that you need to leave your job. Because I did leave my job after a while, but in the meanwhile, doing the process of becoming I felt like my job was not getting in my way.
Speaker 6: My job is anything.
Speaker 3: It kept me straight because I was the type bro where I didn't save for emergency funds.
Speaker 6: I wasn't. I hear people all the time talk about like, hey, you should save.
Speaker 3: For an emergency fund, bro, when you going through life and going through the things that I went through as a police officer.
Speaker 6: Every day was an emergency.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: My first month on the job, my first matter of fact, my first my first call on the job, my first call on the job was a disturbance. And I never forget bro, it was a disturbance. We we looked, this is my first job, my first call. We get a call of a disturbance and we get to the location and this is aggression. We get to the location and they say the family was sitting outside and they like, officers, uncle Fred and take his medication today. And they was like, yeah, we need you to go go take care of our uncle. And we're like okay, cool, uncle Fred medication. They didn't even click on me. I was a rookie, right, and then so we go upstairs to the to the third floor where you know where the guy was at The second we got upstairs, we see this guy, no shirt on, army fatigues. Dude had a bandana tied around his head. He defecated on hisself, put it on his face like camouflage all of his body. And then my man came turned and looked at me, and my partner was like, come on, he like literally put his hands up like like, look, this is my first job.
Speaker 6: Br Like, I didn't even want to be a police officer.
Speaker 2: Now since Rainbow have we seen something like that?
Speaker 3: So brough So I said, I said, my first month on the yeah. Then my second month, now this is the one that was a little bit more serious. This is the only time that I thought about quitting my job. Was we got a call of a disturbance.
Speaker 5: I know, we didn't.
Speaker 3: It was a call of juveniles outside, and me and my partner Broun, and I call this my wake up call in life. Me and my partner literally pull up and we see several juveniles outside, you know, and they out there just hanging out. It was like midnight, and so we said we was gonna take him home. You know one kid in particular. I went to the kid to go pat him down because we was gonna put him in our car and take him home.
Speaker 6: As I go to pat this.
Speaker 3: Kid down, bruh, the kid pushes me, takes off runs down the street. I started chasing at them. Literally, bro, run about two blocks. He dashed between these two buildings. He jumps up on this fence. I grabbed him down from the fence. He's like wrapping up. What's that bob wh at the top of the fence. As I'm pulling this kid down, Bro, this guy, this kid pulls out a gun, puts his hand on the trigger. Bruh, and again it starts to pull the trigger. Bullets is literally coming out of the gun. I am holding the gun while fiers coming out of this gun. As we're fighting over this gun, my partner pulls up. It was an old timer. He said he couldn't see us. He gets out the car, sees bullets coming at him, so he turns around and starts to shoot at both of us. The kid goes over to the other side of the fence, drops the gun, I take cover, and the kid end up getting away. But literally after that had happened, all of the supervisors came on the scene as a rookie cop because I was still on probation. They took my gun from me and I ain't even firing my gun. They put me in the back of a squad car and they told us to sit here because my partner fired sixteen shots and all his bullets went across the street to another building that was across the street, so they said, somebody is probably in this building dead.
Speaker 6: So here it is now.
Speaker 3: They took my partner, put him in one car, put me in one car, and literally I'm just sitting here in the back of the cot just thinking of myself. That was the only time that I wanted to quit. While I was like, man, all I wanted to do was have a secure job. I just want a job with benefits. I just wanted to be able to take care of my family. And now here it is, I'm possibly fight for my life right now. After I just literally got shot at and so it was things like that where I was like, Okay, cool, I'm gonna be I'm done with the mindset that most people have on their jobs where you're like, Okay, I'm gonna let this job take care of me for the next thirty years. I'm gonna buy into the system of the company. But I wasn't finished with this one stream of income that I have.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 6: So those are my first two calls ever.
Speaker 3: But at that point, Bro, I was just like, I got this vision of how I want my life to be, and no matter what, no matter what this job bring me, no matter what's going on, I'm going to get there. And I think a lot of people quit their jobs prematurely. You know, you just think about a lot of people just quit their jobs prematurely. So I never wanted that to be me. I said, I have a vision of how I want my life to be, and I'm going to maintain I'm not gonna let this one stream of income that I have get away from me because I knew I was leveraging the police department, leveraging my nine to five in order to purchase real estate.
Speaker 2: When you drew up that plan, because that's like I never even thought that, right, Like, not only are they your colleagues, but they are going to eventually be your clients when you drew up the plan? Was that originally the vision or did that come along the way right, because I'm thinking, like daycares that makes so much sense. Yeah, why wouldn't you be doing that? So did you know that pride to going in or did as you're going and saying I real estate, All right, well I can rent homes and sell homes to them, but hey, they have children too, I can do a daycare too. And then the second part to that is like that's three different streams. You have a job that is pretty intensive, so what's the balance, like we're managing all that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So for managing for me, it was always just like just like Rasha, I just got through saying I have a chain of daycare centers with my wife. I have a security company, pretty large security company with my brother. So I literally put people in place or start businesses with people that's family, people that I trust, that I love, that's friends of mine, and so that way it doesn't feel like a job. I'm with my wife all day long, you knowing, So that way we're able to you know, we were together already, so it's not hard for me to manage that same thing with my brother.
Speaker 6: So it's not hard.
Speaker 3: I like to see other people making money at the same time that I'm making money, and so it never seemed like it was anything that I had to work hard to do, you know. It just seemed like it came natural. And then with the police department, in the beginning, I would say I didn't see the police officers bringing their kids to my daycare center. It wasn't until I hit this one instance where I actually hit a lady cop that was working with me, where she I think something happened was she didn't have a babysitterer and couldn't drop her kid off. Ugh, she couldn't come to work that day, and so at that point, that's when she asked me if she could bring her kid to my daycare center. And then I was like, man, it's a need for childcare. And then at that point that's when we start opening up daycare centers strategically around the different police departments police stations that I worked at, because it was right there, so when police officers got off work, then they were able to just come there and pick the child up.
Speaker 2: Now, just the second part too, it because I'm thinking, like we have a lot of people who were married, was your wife's vision aligned with yours or was it something that you have to convince her, because like I'm not sure was she in law enforcement, because a lot of people try, Like I'm married now, right, So like my wife's vision may not be with mine, but she'll support me because she understands that there's a mission. Same thing for your brother, Like we put people in positions and sometimes they're not ready to be in that position and then it ends up backfiring. So where they both lot this was both aligned with what they had visions for themselves. They were like, let me support our brother our husband.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my brother. So I actually looked at the things that they were doing already. So with me and my wife, we just hit our daughter right, and my wife she wanted to still you know, my wife wanted to still make money, but yet she wanted to still take care of our kids. So we went around looking at daycare centers for our daughter and it was like we couldn't find a daycare center that was nice enough.
Speaker 6: You know, for our child.
Speaker 3: And then when I found out what or daycare Simmons was actually charging, I was like, man, I can't believe this. I was in real estate, so I took a church. I literally took a church. I renovated a church one property at the time. I literally fixed and flipped our way because we never got that loan for that daycare center, so I had to flip properties. So I would buy property, fixing it up up, flip it, take fifty percent of the profit and put it back into not flipping another property, and they will take the other fifty percent and put it into the daycare center itself, you know. And so that's how we end up starting out with the first daycare center. But with my wife, it was just like, look, you can do this on your own, Like we can literally create our own daycare center and have everybody come here and pay us. My brother was already working security, like most police officers, they already working part time. This is something that he was doing already, and I was looking at him going to work every single day, and I'm like, bro, why don't we own our own security company? And so I take what people are doing already and then I just go ahead, and I'm that financial backing. I'm that visionary, the one that say, hey, look we can start our own business. And I think a lot of people missed that brother. When I tell you, people are so quick to lead a job or lead a situation they're in. If you just look at the situation you're in, there's a business in that, there's a business in that, you know. And so we just was able to do it. And within the first year, me and my brother, our business went from zero to a million million dollars, a million dollar security company. And now our security company makes millions of dollars. And it all came from him having the knowledge. For years he worked part time job for everybody else. He was a part time security guard for everybody else except for hisself.
Speaker 5: So all right, so let's get into this. I want to talk about the security. I want to talk about the daycare each individually, and I also want to talk about the development. But let's start with the real estate investing aspect of it. You put a post up a few years ago that I have reposting a lot of traction about Section eight. Housing. People have a bad stigma about Section eight. Is it's still called section eight. I think they might have changed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think section.
Speaker 5: So you are big on the Section eight.
Speaker 3: I love it, all right, So, especially during the pandemic, explain.
Speaker 5: Explain why it's beneficial and how did you get turned on to that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my first tenants were Section eight. I started out with Section eight. Real estate broker she told me, you know, I, as a police officer, we look for secure money, right I work. I'm a city worker, So first and the sixteenth, I know that I'm going to get my money the first thing, no matter what happens, no matter what the economy, no matter what's going on, that first and the sixteenth police officers look for that paycheck in that same kind of way.
Speaker 6: For me, I didn't have a bunch of money saved up.
Speaker 3: So if I couldn't pay my mortgage, you know I didn't have money, Well I could just go tap me into my bank account to go pay this mortgage. So I needed that guarantee secure money. So my real estate broker she taught me, told me about Section eight and the process was to me, it was great because with Section eight is like they actually manage your building for you.
Speaker 6: You know, before you can.
Speaker 3: Move a tenant into your property, they come out, they inspect the property, they tell you what needs to be fixed, you know, what needs to be changed, and then they take pictures of it and then they do a yearly inspection every single year. And then so when they come out yearly and inspect this property, they're telling you, all right, this needs to be fixed, needs to be fixed. So pretty much Section eight was like a property manager for me. They made sure that my property was kept up, and it was the guaranteed money part they really you know, kept me going.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people so like during the pandemic, after that post came out, a lot of people was just like, oh no, I wouldn't do Section eight. Section eight. They you know, man, they messed your place up. Oh man, they gonna tear your place up. And I'm like, I didn't have that kind of result because every single year they're doing an inspection and they know if the damage came from the tenant or if the damage came or if it's something that's on the owner that needs to be fixed. And so for me, I was just like, man, section eight is the way to go. When COVID struck, though, everybody tended like people stopped paying, right, people stopped paying. The only people that were still paying and paying on time was Section.
Speaker 5: Eight because that's the government for them, right, it's the government paying form that the government pays one hundred percent, or it's like, well, some people have co payments, right, and so I have tenants where they do pay one hundred percent. I have tenants where the tenant has a fifty.
Speaker 3: Dollars co payment, and I'm talking about what a rent might be thirteen hundred dollars and intendent only have to have fifty dollars copay. I have some tenants where the government pays fifty percent and a tenant pays the other fifty percent. It's a program where it's designed to get tenants to become self sufficient, right, It's designed to get people to become self sufficient. But like I said, I say at tenants over the last ten years that's been on Section eight, and I mean, I love it because, like I said, it's guaranteed money. And whenever you're building a business, I think that in the beginning. Now I have so many units where if I have a tenant that doesn't pay, that's not Section eight. I can still get profit from another property. But in the beginning, and I tell this to anybody when you're starting out in real estate, I would definitely start out with secure, guaranteed money because you can't afford to miss a payment.
Speaker 5: And it's a common misconception people have about Section eight that think it's only for public housing. But you could have any place could be Section eight if the landlord wants to rent it to Section eight. Yeah, yeah, I saw like a private It doesn't necessarily have to be public house. It could be a private house and they get a voucher, right, and they can just live there.
Speaker 3: Correct, So you make your place section eight ready, so it's not like this building here is designated for Section eight. Yeah, so any property Section eight ten, it can move anywhere. You know, you just have to fill out the voucher. And then once they submit that to a Section eight they come out doing an inspection and then that's when they send you and then you do what's called rent negotiation. Then you negotiate the rent, and.
Speaker 5: Then they increase the rent over the course of time. Right, absolutely, the government increases it. The government increases it.
Speaker 2: Yep. So in the portfolio, are these properties that you have and know it's over three hundre are they predominantly in one area in Chicago? And what's the ratio is it? I have this percentage that I'm allocating the flip I'm keeping these for rent flow, Like, how do you balance that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so one hundred percent of my properties that are in Illinois, right, but most of them are in Chicago. So Chicago is so large and so diverse. I got properties on the east side of Chicago, the south side of Chicago, and the west side of Chicago. I haven't got onto the north side because the north side is just too expensive, you know. And so yeah, so so I have property. So I got this thing where I got a purpose of every property that I purchase, right, every single property serves a purpose. I don't just go buying real estate to buy real estate. I think when people do that, they go wrong, you know. So if I don't need like if my wife so she wanted to do vacations, you want to travel every three months, Now we have a property that covers that expense, and so we have props. So after that, now we have like we flip single family houses, and so we keep in our portfolio multi unit buildings and so those are cash flow properts that take care of everything in our life that we needed to take care of. And then the single family houses we flip those because we find single family houses more easier to flip because you got right now as a housing market and everybody's looking to move into a home, and you know, we're still flipping houses. You know, people are still buying even right now with this so called pandemic or high interest rates. And really, to me, interest rates are not really that high. When I first got started in real estate two years ago, you know, the average interest rate was about eight percent you know where today, and people was happy for that. I remember back in I don't remember, but I've heard back in the eighties, interest rates was like eighteen percent. Yeah, they were double digits, and so you know, people still getting mortgages then, and so yeah, so right now we fix and flip, and we also we still fix and flip multi units for people that's doing house hacking. You know house hacking where a person the owner would live in one unit and rent out the other units to cover their mortgage, which is great for somebody that's retiring from you know, being a teacher, being a police officer, and you're looking to supplement that income. You know, house hacking is the way to go. So those are the types of people that we flip properties to. So you put on Instagram that the five keys to protecting your rental investment. Let's go through each one of them. Property insurance, Yes, you got to have property insurance. I remember when I did my second property, I didn't have the right head property insurance. I didn't have the right property insurance. I didn't know that you have to have a policy that covers theft, and so I had property insurance on the property, but it just covered tenant. It was a tenant policy as opposed to a renovation policy. And so because I did not have property insurance, the right policy on that property, somebody broke into that property and stole I had all the material in there. I had everything in there, and they end up ripping me off and taking everything out of there. So people need to make sure they have the right insurance policy.
Speaker 5: So the right insurance policy should have deaf insured. What should the right insurance policy?
Speaker 6: It depends on what you're doing.
Speaker 3: So if you're doing a fix and flip, you know, you definitely want to make sure that you're having a policy that covers theft. You know, not a tenant policy because you don't have a tenant in that property, and so in your insurance agent a lot of times won't even tell you that. You know, a lot of times when investors are getting into real estate, you're just looking to get a policy and the end you're just looking to get the cheapest policy. Right, You're just like, man, I just want Once they give you the amount, you're just like, yeah, I just want the cheapest one. But you need to read the fine print and actually get one that's covering what you're doing.
Speaker 2: So like if somebody if you're building and you're putting in a stove or you're putting in the fridge a no time, like people are just I've seen that happen when people will take these type of appliances out of somebody's house while they're building it.
Speaker 3: All the time. It just happened to me probably several months ago during the pandemic. We literally moved the pliances into a house and then like within seven hours, all those appliances came right.
Speaker 6: Off the house.
Speaker 2: Seven hours.
Speaker 3: Seven hours wasn't even whole twenty four hours. Somebody saw us moving appliances in, they came there and took the pliances right out of there. But that type of policy happened. Yeah, that you can actually write that off or you can actually get a reimbursed for that, you know, But if you just hit a rental policy, it won't cover that.
Speaker 2: Do the premiums I mean, if that happens out, do the premiums go up on the insurance? Is how it works the same thing like in cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't had premiums go up based on something that small. Now, if you're talking about something major, you know, then of course your premium will go up. But something small like okay, refriger you know, five thousand dollars nah? Property manager, yes, property manager, Especially if you're a nine to fiver, if you work in a job, you don't have time to manage your property. And I think that's been the secret sauce to me over my whole time. I didn't have time to every time somebody called me talking about some ads, this broke down.
Speaker 6: I don't know how to fix anything.
Speaker 3: Bro When I tell you that, like I own over three hundred and eighty units and I don't know how to change a toilet. I don't need to know how to change a toilet. That's my property manager's job. My property manager knows how to find the people that's gonna change the toilet for me. And I think people don't get in real estate because they think that you got to know how to do all this stuff. Bru, I don't know how to do anything. And I mean, I could probably learn how to do it, but I need to be purchasing more properties. Somebody has to be the one that's the visionary. Somebody got to be the one that's actually, you know, put bind the properties. And so that's my job. And so have a property manager. And so now when you say, okay, Jamal, you got three hundred eighty units, yeah, I don't know that one of my tenants, and my tenants don't know me personally, but my property manager knows all three hundred tenants. Right, My property manager knows all the ten and I deal with the property manager. So all my tenants pay my property manager, and my property manager pays me. It's easy to deal with one person, but imagine if you had to deal with all of these different people too much, it'll be too much. You wouldn't even Now it's like, okay, I need to quit my job because this has become a job, you know what I'm saying. So that's been the secret, sauce. I have managers for everything that I do. When it's easy for me to manage one person. So now I grow my portfolio to a thousand properties. Fine, I got one property manager though that I deal with. Oh, I can separate it five hundred units to this property manager, five hundred units to that property manager.
Speaker 6: But we have to simplify it.
Speaker 3: And I think that a lot of times we make things too complex because we're trying to do everything on our own. And so that property manager, even a project manager, if you're doing a fix and flip, here it is. I'm with you guys right now, talking to you, and I'm working on sixteen fixing flips right now in Chicago. I'm not on my phone right now. Like a home depot, Yeah, put the chandelier here, Yeah, we want this. No, I have a project manager that knows exactly how I fix up these properties.
Speaker 5: So that was the next thing. So all right, so the property manager is ten percent. You pay them ten percent?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so property manager, I pay ten percent.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it can go from it can go as low as seven percent to twelve percent.
Speaker 5: Of like monthly rent, yes, of the gross of the gross and the three hundred eighty units. Correct, and they and they manage the property. They managed it from A to Z. They manage the property. They if tendants leave out, they put the tenants in the property. Not only difference is if something goes wrong in the property, they're not They're they're finding the contractor or talking with the contractor get it fixed. But yet you still have to come up with the money to actually pay for that whatever it is. And so they're doing the maintenance of it, the shoveling of the snow, the cutting up the grass, all of the stuff that we don't want to do, right, all the stuff that we don't want to do, that's their responsibity. You find a good one, just referral, referrals.
Speaker 3: Word of mouth the same way how you find a good contractor. You and I tell people all the time. Word of mouth is everything you know. If you're gonna be in real estate, you know, you ask around, ask questions. A good state brokers should know a good property manager. A good property manager should know a good contractor. Great contractors should know other great contractors, and so everything as far as in real estate, it is a hands on contact sport where word of mouth, you know, if it's a contractor, you should stay away from.
Speaker 6: Trust me.
Speaker 3: People know you know all the bed contractors, they know all of the bed property managers and project managers.
Speaker 2: Is there a number that you would get to? And it's like, all right, I need to hire more than one property manager because you said you spread out the entire state of Illinois. I'm thinking, like, damn for one person to be moving around like that, that's tough. But obviously having section eight helps, yeah, because you know, I mean, that's guarantee that probably goes straight to an account. But is there a number or is there a reason why you just have one and not having all right, Well, you have the south side, that's your that's your area. You got the east side. Is the reason why you don't use that trategy?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I tell people it could be five properties, you got five units and switch up property managers. It all depends on how good they are. And right now, the property managers I have hasn't showed herself to not be good. To be honest, as long as it's still working. So as long as it's still working, I'm gonna keep buying. And I think that's the thing, man. As long as it's working, then I'm gonna keep buying. Well, the second is not working, then I need to switch it up. Then I need to go figure out. Okay, something is going wrong. Let me go find me another property manager. You know, because you're not able to handle all of this.
Speaker 5: Project manager. You spoke about that briefly, all right, So the project manager oversees renovation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, project manager acts as the liaison between you and the contractor.
Speaker 6: But the last thing you want to do is here.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 3: I'm a police officer and I'm out here in the squad car and I'm working, and all of a sudden, I got my guys calling me saying, hey, Jamal, we need you to come over here and tell us if this room is big enough or a Jamal, is this the right pink color? I mean that can get when you're really doing a lot of projects, you know, you need a liaison, somebody in there that knows exactly. I got two different ways that I renovate properties. I keep it simple. I got two different pink colors. They say, this is.
Speaker 6: Jamal gray and Jamal bage. We got we keep it simple, bro.
Speaker 3: We got all of the material one location, and so my property manager know, my project manager knows this, knows exactly the light fixtures. So imagine I'm only working with this one. I'm only working with this one person, and then we're going around. I only got to spend this whole month with this person. Like, Okay, these are the type of life fixtures we get. These are the type of This is the type of ceramic Towe marble granted countertops. These are the type of kitchen cabinets. We have all of this already written out. So now when my project manager goes out there and working with my contractors, he knows exactly what it is I want. And in that way, I don't have to spend time.
Speaker 5: Time.
Speaker 3: Man, this business is about time, and I didn't get in this business to take away time from my family. I got into it so that I can have more time with my family. And the way to do it, the way to simplify it, is by having the right people in place.
Speaker 5: So you pay him salary or he gets a percentage.
Speaker 3: Now he gets a percentage, he gets ten percent of the construction of the costs. So he's ten percent of the construction costs. So the construction budgets one hundred thousand dollars. Not the problem. Not not how much it costs to purchase the property, how much it costs to fix, just to fix the property, it gets ten percent of that okay, attorney, attorney, Oh brouh, yeah, attorney. This is the thing that a lot of people I see in real estate, they make the mistake they they try to cut out attorneys because you technically don't need to have an attorney to purchase a property. You don't have to have an attorney, you know, So people always trying to cut it out. But but attorneys are so important they act they're there to protect you, you know.
Speaker 5: So I got it.
Speaker 3: My attorney happens to be my best friend, the one who actually introduced me to his uncle in the beginning. So he's actually my real estate attorney. But you know, he's there to make sure that if there's any problems with my tenants and I do have to go through an eviction, he's working for my best interest with my property manager, and they're working together. And so if real estate is all about your team and having the right team and having them all working together, so I.
Speaker 2: Mean that's a lot of units, right, So are you doing this in the LLC or is the holding company that's getting them? Because I know some people will take the strategy like every time I get a property. Yeah, I'm gonna create a new LLC so I could keep all the finances straight and everything could be very streamlined. What's the approach that you take when you're obviously, you know, accumulating the units, like.
Speaker 5: Yes to you all.
Speaker 3: So if I'm an fix and flip the property, then I just have that in a separate LLC. But if we're keeping them, we have a series LLC. And a series LLC is where each property is its own LLC, but it's under the umbrella of the parent company. And the reason why we do that. Imagine if something happened to we had all of our properties under one LLC. Imagine if we got sued. And I've had this actually happen once before. I hit a guy that was he was visiting one of my tenants and he was on a back porch. He said he was taking the garbage out. He's slipping and felled down the back porch of the property. It was ice on the porch. He grasped hold to the neighbors fence, which he had the spike to the top of the fence. He cut his pinky finger. He got three stitches in his finger, three stitches, and my man was suing for thirty thousand dollars because they were able to see at that time that all my properties was under the same LLC. And so that a lot of times that opens what they call a corporate veil where they can see literally that you have everything under one LLC. And so now it's like, okay. His attorney was like, you know, this guy can afford it. You know, it's got owns all of these different properties as opposed to putting each property on his own series LLC. And then now if that guy sued me, then now he's he only can come after me for you know whatsever in that property as opposed to coming after everything.
Speaker 5: That I have. He didn't win, by the way, though, but you know it's.
Speaker 2: Why he got the attorney.
Speaker 5: Yeah, got the attorney.
Speaker 6: So attorneys.
Speaker 5: So all right, you got seventeen properties in fifteen months, at one.
Speaker 3: Point, seventeen properties in fifteen months. No, we got we just got one hundred and thirty.
Speaker 2: Earners. What's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, like the checkout is fast, or seats of digital tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 7: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 3: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 5: Everything.
Speaker 6: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 7: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 6: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, Coach.
Speaker 7: One more question play than new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace, pay responsibily. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase plate or claim he's.
Speaker 3: Got one hundred and thirty units. Just recently, yeah, just recently, we just bought one hundred and thirty unit porfolio.
Speaker 5: The portfolio that was the portfolio. So we'll talk about buying a portfolio. What made you want to buy start buying a portfolio and how does that different for people in buying just regular.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so if you look at what's going on in an economy today, people are talking about prices are going up with properties, which they are, you know, they've been going up for a while. But all of these properties that the banks were foreclosing on now so now banks are left with just blocks and blocks of properties, right, and so the banks now left with all of when people wasn't paying rent over this whole time. So now the banks have foreclosed on these properties, and so now they got all of these different properties in they ario list. And so here it is, the banks have these properties and they're not selling them individually, and so they're selling them as groups of properties. And so if you want to buy them, they're saying, let's say it's ten properties in this portfolio, you have to buy all ten. But when you buy all of the properties, you can leverage your money by buying all of this and get these properties fifty cent on the dollar. And so that's the new game now so it's like, okay, cool, let me go buy portfolios as opposed to buy individual properties in the market. Right now, when you're going out by individual properties, the market is saturated. You might have ten fifteen other people trying to buy the same property. But when you're buying a portfolio, many people can't come out there and spend This portfolio costs US six point eight million dollars. So this portfolio cost six point eight million dollars ahead an ARV, minding an a three pair of value on this once these properties were all fixed up and hit an ARV of twenty point one million dollars. And so, but most people can't afford to pay six point eight million dollars for one hundred and thirty units. And so at that point I was able to leverage my cash and now we got over one hundred and thirty units at one time just by buying the whole group of properties.
Speaker 5: And they were all in Chicago. How do you even find You just talk to the bank and ask them, or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're actually some of them now they're putting porfolios on the market, on the market. Yeah, you actually got portfolios that's on the market now. But like I said, there's only a small few people that can afford it. And don't get me wrong, they got portfolios that you know, five properties, it could be a tenth property portfolio. I've seen three hundred property portfolios. You know, they are all types of portfolios out here. Some of them you can get through your real estate brokers. Some of them you might get from you know, your banks. You know, you can go to the bank and ask them, you have a relationship with the bank, you know, what, where's your rio list? And then a lot of you know banks that give you that list if you have a relationship. A lot of times they keep them you know, hush hush, but yeah, exactly right. They're not just telling everybody. But yeah, so that's the new game. And so a lot of these properties you were coming in and getting them fifty cents on the dollar.
Speaker 6: So I tell people, you got to change. That's the market changes.
Speaker 3: You have to change your strategy on how you're actually getting your your properties.
Speaker 2: The more you know you said something, and it's very important, your level of exposure will determine your level of success. And so as you're on this journey, I wonder who and what rooms are you going into to learn more, right, because you said you didn't really know anything in real estate, but you have to learn it. So who are you being exposed to that is giving you the lessons in the game in real estate? And then on the other side, it's like a double ass question as you're growing the portfolio, right and you're still a police officer, your officer.
Speaker 5: King no, no, I'm not a police officer.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, I'm saying not now. Yeah, I know twenty nineteen we said we're done right as you're doing it, Yeah, I'm sure your colleagues are looking at you like, hey, we're going to watch the game at the law's house and they're like, wait, how is he doing? Are they now looking at you to be a mentor? Like your colleagues is looking into you like how's that work? So you're getting are you getting advice from somebody? And then now are you giving it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So back then, bru it wasn't many people that I could go to. It was kind of like I was a pioneer in my area right in the police department. It wasn't any other multimillion dollar police officers out there buying real estate that I know of, And so I was going through doors and uncharted waters. You know, I was one of the first people that I know of that was actually just going out here buying up all this real estate, and so they had your level of exposure with the terminal level of success.
Speaker 6: I got exposed to the type of life.
Speaker 3: That I wanted from a friend of mine, you know, that was actually an NFL guy, and so he was the one that was playing in an NFL that showed.
Speaker 5: Me what money really looked like like.
Speaker 6: I had no clue.
Speaker 3: If it was up to me, if I never would have got exposed to him, I would have probably just been a million dollar cop living in a basic house, right driving a basic cop, because I didn't know any different. It wasn't until I seen him living in a ten thousand square foot house. Bro Phillis man, I'm a police officer making thirty six thousand dollars. This friend of mine was my college teammate, and he was living in a ten thousand score foot house. And when I saw this, it left an impression on me. I mean just it did something to me that I promise you still burns in me today. Because I couldn't even afford at the time to take my wife to Sizzler. You know, I'm not talking about the real you know, restaurant, talking about I couldn't have. It was things that I couldn't afford to do, and I was still living, you know, in my parents' house. And it wasn't until I got that exposure, right, And that's what this whole your level of exposure to termin your love of success. I was seeing, like when I went to go visit him, the first time I seen little kids they had. They were walking to school, and everybody that was walking to school head on the plat outfit. And I was like, what is it about these plaid outfits? Nobody in Chicago's wearing plaid outfits because you went to public school. These kids, though, all he had these plaid outfits, and I was like, man, they go to private school.
Speaker 6: I took that image.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know the type of school that I wanted my kids to go to, but I knew that whatever school it.
Speaker 6: Was, they better be wearing plaid outfits.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I knew that I didn't have a vision of like a house for myself. I took that image of the ten thousand score foot house and then unconsciously, because I was exposed to that unconsciously. Now I got a twenty thousand score foot house and I had to twenty thousand score for the house as a police officer.
Speaker 2: That that that's twenty thousand feature, Bruh.
Speaker 3: I had a twenty thousand score for the house as a police officer. And I'll be careful to I never really even showed my house on social media because I'm not I didn't.
Speaker 6: Do it for the ground.
Speaker 3: I wasn't doing it for other people, broh. I just remembered that that that whole thing where I.
Speaker 6: Just want more.
Speaker 3: I come from a family a blue collar people, and it's just like I've seen people rub work. I've seen people work twenty thirty years and never have thinking that they live in life, you know, thinking that they really live in.
Speaker 6: Life, brub.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't until I realized it's really started living life to notice, to really understand that people really wasn't living.
Speaker 6: And so I said, like, I want to have my family experience experienced.
Speaker 3: All the real the real life experience what it feels like to be a in a twenty thousand score for the house with an indoor swimming pool, to be in a twenty thousand school house with indoor basketball court, with indoor bro.
Speaker 6: I got to the point we put a nightclub on the top floor of a house.
Speaker 3: It's a literal just because I wanted my wife and not to be able to be able to have friends come over and go experience that life, you know, in the night.
Speaker 6: And we were doing all this.
Speaker 3: I was leaving work in my police uniform going over to imagining my coworkers coming to this house and I'm still working just like them, you know, I'm a police officer, just like them. And what it did was unconsciously, it made them say that they want to they want to go to the next level too. I never told people that they need to get in real estate. I wasn't that type of person that's like, hey man, you need to get real estate, you need to do this, you need to do that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I would just showed them. I would show them what real estate could do. And I think that's what people go wrong get you you're not making it real. I made real estate real to the point where I was like, look this phenomenal life that I got.
Speaker 6: It didn't come from promotion. Bro. The average promotion.
Speaker 3: On my job was like seven thousand dollars and then you gotta work five years in at one position to go to the next grade. And then if you have to get promoted, if you was lucky enough, you was only making like seven thousand dollars where I would buy one property every time they gave a promotional test, I would buy one property, and that one property would make me a minimum of two thousand dollars net cash flow every single month. So that was twenty four thousand dollars. By the time that I was twenty six years old, I was making more than almost every position I could have got promoted to in the police department. I saved ten years of my life from promotion. And what does that do to you? That exposure level that you're talking about, What does that do like during that time period where person is waiting to get promoted, What if that promotion ever happens for you?
Speaker 6: What are you doing with your life?
Speaker 3: People talk about promotion, bro, like they talk about the lot mega millions. Remember when they just hit the billion dollar lottery and everybody was talking about what they would do if they won. Oh, man, I would live here, man if I want that lottery, bro, Man, I would dry.
Speaker 6: This, I would get this.
Speaker 3: I would do that, bru People do that same thing with promotion on the job where they were talking about, you know, if they get promoted, they're gonna send they care kids to this school. If they get promoted, they would retire their spouse to live in this kind of house. I was showing them that you did not have to wait for promotion. You was literally one proper year way. So I was exposing them in that kind of way. And then I had police officers now ask me, Jay, how do you do it? How did you do it?
Speaker 5: And I just.
Speaker 3: Literally bro would show them, Brouh, this property can take care of this in your life.
Speaker 6: Like Bruh, you.
Speaker 3: Sitting here, you've been on this job for twenty years and you're still in the same position. You took ten promotional tests and never got promoted. Look at everything you done missed out on in life. I remember when you first started working with me and you were saying you was gonna send your kids to private school. The second you got promoted. You never got promoted to your kids never went to private school. And it's like, brother, you can't put your life on hold. So I would expose them in that kind of way, and in now, and my closest friends especially, they all got real estate and they're all now living that type of life. They've been exposed to that. So but I can't say that. You know, it was other people like my friend as uncle that showed me things, but it was also my friend who he just showed me exactly that I knew I couldn't play in the NFL right that door was closed.
Speaker 6: But he showed me what it looked like. It gave me something to work towards.
Speaker 3: And I think that that's why exposure is so pivotal in people lives, bro, Like you got to step outside of your surroundings.
Speaker 6: You got to know what you're working for.
Speaker 3: And people just go to work every single day without like without setting a bar for theirself, like.
Speaker 6: Knowing why they doing what they doing. Like life is short, bro.
Speaker 3: I done work with people now, not even just the people I worked with on the police department for seven years. I worked as the wagon person. I literally drove around the city of Chicago. We talked about my district. I drove around the city of Chicago, and my only responsibility was putting bodies and body bigs. I literally it was so many people that got killed so many people got killed that year. My only job was to work the meat wagon and we would drive around the city of Chicago and put bodies and body beigs and it's like bro the bodies that we put in we had to go through their pockets. We had to like literally before we took them to the more, we had to inventory whatever they had in their pockets. And it was people that was in there, the head paycheck, stubbs, that was uncash.
Speaker 6: Movie tickets.
Speaker 3: They had all these different things in their pockets because they did not know that they were gonna die. And now it did something to me at that moment where I was just like, Bruh, I have to live life while I'm still alive. You don't know how much time you actually have. And for me, bru that that exposure just made me. It was exposure from a good way, right from my friend to exposure of seeing people pass away at young ages, and that did something to me and said, I have to live different. I don't know how much time I got left, but whatever time I have left, I'm gonna do what I got to do for my family while I'm still here and I don't have to be you know, I think people got the misconception where they think that you have to be talented. They think that you have to you know, hit it big or or you know, become a you know, play basketball, play football, you know that we do in our community, become a rapper.
Speaker 5: Bruh.
Speaker 6: The playing field is even.
Speaker 5: I looked at real estate.
Speaker 6: That's something that everybody can do. It's simple.
Speaker 5: So I'm saying that, how do you turn nine to five money into real estate wealth?
Speaker 3: How do you turn nine to five money to real estate wealth? You invest one property at a time. You pay yourself first. You take that money. You understand, you know, a lot of people they find ways to save up for, you know, for emergency fund. People need to understand that you are every day is an emergency. Every day that you're alive is an emergency. You don't have time anymore. You take that money, you save up for your first down payment on your investment property. You do it one property at time. I didn't go buy three hundred and eighty units all at one time. I did this over the last twenty years, and I had a building to cover every single expense in my life, as opposed to depending on my paycheck on my job. If you depend on your pay and I don't brother. You gotta really think about this. JA paid you one hundred percent of your salary while you're working, right when you're retire. I've never seen a company to pay you still one hundred percent in retirement. And I never heard of a person say that one hundred percent of my money was enough. So if you're working in one hundred percent of your salary is not enough for you to live the way you want to live, then what makes you think you're gonna retire and then all of a sudden that's gonna be enough money for you to live like you have to. Your job is not meant to you for you to live one. Your job is meant for you to use that money to leverage it to invest so that you can create the life that you want to live from your investments.
Speaker 2: That you said something about the daycare, and it just strugled me because I remember the cost for daycare I have two children paying it, and then realizing sometimes it could be subsidized. But then I thought, I started thinking, like McDonald's understands so of like most people think it's a fast food restaurant, but it's really a real estate play, and so the daycare is do you own the properties obviously, so it's a real estate play and as a business inside of it. Correct, And then are some of the like obviously you have people coming in or is it government funded as well part of it? How does that work?
Speaker 3: So the great part about it was, like I said, you have to look at the ecosystem that you have. So so, because my daycare center is in the inner city, you know, Inglewood, right, most of my parents are I think eighty Now I've take that back. Ninety percent of our parents are single parents. And when they're filling out because they're getting their subsidies, it's just like having Section eight and it's sometimes it's the same qualifications, same income. So when my wife would have them fill out their their paperwork to get child care, to get free child care, right, I would actually look at their paperwork and then I would see that these same people qualify for Section eight.
Speaker 5: Where do you live? Hey, where do you live?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Here? It is much income everything now here. It is you're putting your child in my daycare. So you trust me, you trust us, So if you trust us with your child, you definitely trust us where you live.
Speaker 6: So now here it is you've live in the commune unity.
Speaker 3: Because most parents they want to, you know, have a club daycare center that's close to where they live.
Speaker 6: So I would fix up a property. I would go.
Speaker 3: Buy properties all around a one mile radius of my daycare centers. And then not only would I rent to a police offer, and I rent not only would I have you know, police officers in my daycare center, but I would have my teachers.
Speaker 6: Right, I would rent to the teacher staff. They would be right there in the same community.
Speaker 3: I don't have to convince them to live in the community because they are already from the community.
Speaker 6: And so I would go put pictures.
Speaker 3: We have this on parent board up right that always talks about like field trips and different things about the childcare. I would put properties up, you know, nice pictures with fresh paint on the walls and different rehabs, and I would put there for a rent. And knew that parents are already had Section eight and so we knew that would be guaranteed money. So here is we got one hundred parents. I was working with fifteen thousand cops. We got one hundred parents in our daycare centers. These are also one hundred renters that need a place to stay.
Speaker 2: Brilliant, brilliant.
Speaker 5: So, all right, situation, where is the qualification start a daycare? You have to get like certified by the state. You have to, yeah, have like and what kind of buildings did you turn You say you turned the church into a daycare?
Speaker 6: Yeah, first Decadre Center, it was a church.
Speaker 5: You own the church.
Speaker 3: I bought the church was in foreclosure and so I bought the church and then we turned it into a daycare center.
Speaker 5: So all right, so yeah, what's the qualification? You got to get teachers certified? Like, yeah, So as far.
Speaker 3: As the qualifications to own the center, you know, you definitely first have to have the location. You don't have to own the location, but you have to have a location. And then you have to take a one day class. And you have this thing that's called my wife calls it the Bible of child care, and it breaks down every single thing that you need, all of the qualifications that you need, what your staff needs. You have a formula to how many children you can have in the place. You know, it's like thirty five scuore flip per each child, depending on the age group of the child. You have to have a certain amount of bathrooms in there, and so they come in. It's just like section eight where they come in inspect the property and they tell you exactly how many kids you're going to be able to have in this daycare center and you go to that one day licensing class. And then now you have to have certified staff, so you have to make sure that your staff. And they've changed it over years. Now is a bachelor's degree for your director. Before it was just you know, they just needed two years of early childhood education.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just gonna say two years of early childhood education. Now, yeah, they've obviously changed it. So how many daycares do we have? Now? Obviously you started with the church. How many in the portfolio?
Speaker 3: Yes, so we got four daycares, four houses. No, no, they're all commercial commercial building. Yeah, they're all commercial buildings. So our first one was a church that we turned into a daycare center. The one, our second one was right across the street, that was cleaners, that was the dragt cleaners that we turned into a daycare center. The third one was an existing daycare center that was shut down for three years. And then the fourth one is is in a one half senior home another half apartment complex is two hundred and thirty seven unit building. We don't own the building, but we actually have. We owned the daycare center inside of the building.
Speaker 5: And what's the ages.
Speaker 3: For the kids zero to six years old? Six weeks to six years old? So what do you have the kids doing? Just like playing with toyson?
Speaker 6: Oh no, we have a curriculum yeah yeah, oh yeah, learning center.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, no, it's.
Speaker 3: Actually a curriculum that we actually have for that you're teaching, yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, yeah, so we're teaching them, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just like you having any preschool. It's just it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Preschool, y'all offering like all day pre k types yep.
Speaker 3: And at one point we shut it down before COVID, but at one point we had twenty four hours, oh for the cops and stuff. Yeah, for the cops, for firemen and things like that. And it's crazy because it's the same building.
Speaker 6: So they gave it.
Speaker 3: If they gave us one hundred kids license for daytime care, then you also get one hundred kid license for night time care, and so you're doubling your revenue just off of the same facility.
Speaker 2: Are you looking to scale that because I'm thinking, like, obviously you have four, you don't really need marketing because it's the ecosystem is with them. Are you looking to scale it outside of four? You're trying to add more to it?
Speaker 3: What we were at one point we were you know, at one point, man, I had this bright idea. I was like, look, man, we making one hundred thousand dollars per daycare center. I was telling my wife, Man, we get ten daycare centers the same kind of size and can hold the same amount of kids. I said, bro, we're gonna make a million dollars a month. Man, we can make a million dollars a month. And my wife was on board with it. She was like, Oh, let's do it. And then all of a sudden, man, we had about five hundred kids and my wife was like, oh, it's a lot to manage it. It was a lot. And then you're not talking about real estate, right. Real estate is a little bit different. It's a property. It's a building. You know, people go there, they live there, they take care of their own self. You don't even have to see your tenants until it's time to pay rent. And now they got it where you can just send it. You know, you could just vemo or whatever, just send the money cash out. But when you're talking about people's children, it's a little bit different.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It was just like it became to the point we had little kids in there having seizures sometimes medical conditions. You know, it just got to the point where it's like, Okay, this is a little bit different type of business. And my wife kind of was And she's the one that's you know, runs the day to day. I'm the visionary. Remember, I'm the one to come up with the vision. I could start any business. But my wife was the one to say, okay, let me be the one to manage the day to day. And she kind of was like, you know, we don't need to scale it too much, Like this is comfortable for me. Anything over this is going to start feeling like a job.
Speaker 2: So four hundredousand a.
Speaker 5: Month, Yeah, good business. Thirty six grand i bu Befull Tax Security company. Yeah all right, how did that get started? And what's the what's the scope on that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So my brother working like my brother brother had my brother in the newspaper one time as making one of the top I think he's in the top five highest state employees in the state.
Speaker 5: He was a cop.
Speaker 3: He still is a cop. Yeah, my brother still is a cop. He has what about eighteen months left before retirement. Shout out to Tommy. And they had my brother in the newspaper as one of the highest paid state employees because my brother was making over a three hundred fifty thousand dollars as a cop. How overtime His base salary is probably about one hundred and thirty and then the rest was all overtime. My brother was working that much. He's just a hustle. I don't have it in me. I mean, he was literally that type of person that can just work three or four different job he gets off work work for the state. They allow cops to work, you know, over time for them. And then he was doing like other part time things and like sporting events and things like.
Speaker 6: That and gone all the time.
Speaker 3: And I was just like, bro, you're making good money, but like you can't live off of this, like all right, cool, Like you've made this part time work your full time job. And it's just like how can you continue to live like this? He got two sons, and his sons would be playing football games and he never could make it or he would try to take it.
Speaker 6: It was just rough.
Speaker 5: And then I was just like, man, look, why don't we just go ahead and do the same thing that you're doing.
Speaker 3: We already were. No, my brother's a sergeant, so he already commands different people in the state police. Like he literally got people that call him sergeant and that's a part of his team. He's like, why don't you take the same idea, the same thing that the state is paying you for. Why don't you do that for yourself? And then at that point, our first contract that we had, it was the pipeline. You guys remember the pipeline that they had where they were and what was it called the North Dakota Pipeline. Oh, yeah, the North Dakota Pipeline. That was our first contract to secure it. Yeah, to secure it. So, so the government was trying to find security companies to secure throughout the state of Illinois. The North Dakota Pipeline went all the way from the tip of Illinois, and the Illinois is a long state.
Speaker 6: It's not really wide, it's just long. And so from the tip.
Speaker 3: Of Illinois all the way down to the bottom, they needed a security company to secure it, and so no security company you had the man forced to be able to secure because this was like a four month contract. And then it's like, okay, you logistically you need hotels for your security guards. It was twenty four hours, so they needed security twenty four hours all the way from the tip of Illinois all the way down to the bottom.
Speaker 2: How many people is that you need?
Speaker 5: Oh, brother, I'm.
Speaker 6: About to break it down to you.
Speaker 3: My brother, though, Tommy, because he was a state trooper, he go to ecosystem Again.
Speaker 6: My brother was able to go.
Speaker 3: From the state polices all the way from the tip all the way down to the bottom. Chicago Police is only in Chicago. So my brother being a state trooper, he was able to get in contact with every single state police department along the pipeline map and he was able to contact each of them and find out, you know, who wanted to work part time for this pipeline and who wanted to do it. And so we had a meeting. We had every single I'm talking about, We had state troopers from the country. Brother, I'm talking about from like Farmertown, and they all came and we had a big meeting and they found out that it was us his two black guys, and ninety nine percent of our workers all you know, white guys from different parts of the state. But yeah, we had the contract and we were one of the only companies that was able to fulfill that contract because my brother was able to hire state police officers. Look within his network, he was able to hire state police officer to cover that. And I mean, bro, that was a multimillion dollar contract.
Speaker 2: People.
Speaker 6: We probably had at least about sixty five people.
Speaker 3: I thought that mean, yeah, it's not that many, but it was the responsibility.
Speaker 2: I mean, they built it. They're trying to build the pipe, so they're just standing there like the.
Speaker 5: Situation.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they was paying. They were paying for like knowledge, So you're being your own squad, your own personal car, and literally your responsibility was to just we had these coordinates of where the pipeline was, and I mean they kept it real hush hush, and then the responsibility was to you had checkpoints along these coordinates, and the responsibility was to drive up and down the highway. During that era, because it was people, it was an indigenous a lot of protests, Yeah, it was a lot of protests, and they had a lot of indigenous people that was kind of like fighting against it because there was a lot of sacred land and things like that that it was hidden.
Speaker 6: And they said, yeah, so bruh, let me tell you real quick story.
Speaker 3: Craziest thing when we finally got the contract, they hit us in the hotel room and it was like some kind of a movie. It was me and my brother. It was like our supervisor and another guy. They hit us in this room and these federal guys come in and they're talking to us and they're like, all right, congratulations. You know you guys got the contract for the pipeline. And they was like, okay, we want to introduce you to one of our guys that we have that's in the inside.
Speaker 6: He was like kind of like a spy.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: This guy comes in. Man, this guy's.
Speaker 3: About six foot four, about three hundred pounds, looked like an Indian, like literally got his hair and a ponytail. Bru And he comes in and he's like, you know how you guys doing.
Speaker 5: They call me.
Speaker 6: Bigfoot and he was like bro. Like I was like, bro, this can't be real.
Speaker 3: And my man was like literally talking to us talking about the pipeline and that they have different people that's trying to sabotage the pipeline and things like that, and he's like a spy within the within these different tribes. Yeah, he was a federal agent, but he was working as a spy. They had helicopters. They put numbers on each one of our cars. They had helicopters that would drive a fly by and they would see your number, that everybody's cell phone here like a panic coat or if something happened, you push this button and then literally it'll bring the the I couldn't even talk about this before, but now you know, it was over with years ago. So this was our first security contract, and like I said, it was the wildest thing and it was kind of one of the things where you'd be like, I don't know, man, it don't sound right.
Speaker 6: It just don't.
Speaker 3: It's just don't you know what I'm especially when when Bigfoot came in there and I was like, hold on, man, it's kind of iffy.
Speaker 6: But now it ended up working out.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: We was making almost like a million dollars a month on it. Yeah, and so that was our first security contract, brou and it took off from there. Yeah that's crazy, all right.
Speaker 5: So so you got that, and then from there you just so the security, you secure venues or people, everything, everything.
Speaker 3: So right now we got it's three naming markets is in Chicago and we're in all three. We have apartment buildings, we do sporting events, we do a lot of So there you go again, ecosystem property managers. While a lot of people were out here trying to find security contracts. You know, all I did was connect with property managers and so I know, like your large complexes, the city and state law that they must have security. I don't know if it's anywhere else, but in Chicago they must have security. And so as a point, and the people that pick the security companies are the project managers are the property managers rather, and so you got a lot of property managers that have multiple properties in their portfolio. And so all you got to do is get in good with one property manager and then now they're bringing different buildings to you as opposed you going out here trying to search for different properties to do security yet and so that's how we got in with a lot of and so we got three major property management companies in Illinois that we do security for and they constantly contact us whenever they get a new property under their portfolio.
Speaker 5: And most of your guys are cops. No, so we have both.
Speaker 3: We have police side and then we also have armed security and unarmed security.
Speaker 5: And you do you do it for people also?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So we got one of our largest clients is Justin Fields, the Chicago Bears start back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Justin Fields starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: Man a lot of pressure. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Justin Fillids first came to Chicago, his father reached out to me and he's like, people, tell me somebody that I need to know. And I thought he's talking about real estate, but yeah, he's talking about security and so yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming you're a Bears fan.
Speaker 6: I am, yeah, big time, no matter if we don't win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's new development or Soldier field that they're trying to yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, they're trying to make it to a dome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got to reach out to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 2: Can you talk about the abhortance of leading by example? Obviously, you know I was. I saw one of your posts and you were talking about how intention you are about doing things and making sure that people see especially your kids, saying like my kids got a trainer. Every one of them has a trainer because they've seen you do it. It's custom to them. Can you talk about the role of leading intentionally like that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know, I got this thing, man.
Speaker 3: Every single day I wake up, all right, every single day, I like people ask me, like, you know, what's.
Speaker 6: My daily schedule?
Speaker 3: Like, and I got these five pillars that every single day, this is my day, Faith, Family, finance, fitness, and freedom. Faith, Family, finance, fitness, and freedom. Every single day, I don't go to sleep until I have invested in all five of those pillars.
Speaker 5: And so it's.
Speaker 3: Important for me. I believe that you are always showing your kids something, even when you're not trying to. You're teaching them something, from the way you eat, to the way you manage your money, to the way you treat your spouse, you know, to the way you treat your body. So every single day I don't necessarily work out just for me. I work out because I know my children are watching. They watching every single thing I do. And so it's like it's important for me not only to just make sure that I'm working out, but making sure that I'm treating your mother right. You know, I got a son a six years old. He literally bruh every time. A matter of fact, it's funny because see J over there, my son head a marriage with CJ's daughter.
Speaker 6: Son they went through they went through a marriage.
Speaker 3: CJ daughter is six years old, My son is six years old, and he's just like, man, I want what you got with mammy, And he literally CJ daughter. See if they was at my house, me and c was gone, and my my wife's grandmother, she's ninety years old.
Speaker 6: She she officiated the way.
Speaker 2: Make sure that the bride's father pays for it. Plice.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: So it's like my son is big on marriage because he see his parents been married for twenty years.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Imagine though, if I had a different kind of life and then my son, I'd be like, hey, CJ's daughter is my baby mama.
Speaker 6: You know CJ's daughter.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So he's he sees that in a way because that's what he's been exposed to, you know, in that same kind of way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: First thing I do is I work on my faith every single day. I just focus on one scripture. Every single day. I focus on one scripture and I build my faith up And the reason why I do that is because I know that being an entrepreneur, just being just myself doing the things that we do, you're gonna have to have like like, like what entrepreneur you know is successful that don't have a level of faith. But a dude, what is faith? Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seeing you guys started this podcast from this location, right, and it was built off of faith.
Speaker 6: Like you didn't. I don't know if you knew.
Speaker 3: I've seen what you wrote down though, but y'all wrote down the whole business plan and what you was trying to figure out the name of it, the different things like that that work. There was faith, Yeah, And I think that a lot of times people don't. They don't build their faith. Faith is a muscle. It's a muscle just like any other muscle. If you don't use it, you lose it. And so that's why I think that a lot of things I don't have the knowledge of things going into it. I'm not gonna sit here and act like I'm some crazy guru when it comes to certain things I did not have.
Speaker 5: I did not know that I.
Speaker 6: Was going to be doing what I'm doing now in real estate.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that when we did that first daycare center that we would be having for daycare centers and we would be raising people care.
Speaker 6: For the last seventeen years.
Speaker 3: It has not been one year that we have not made a million dollars over the last seventeen years. I didn't know it. I didn't have the knowledge at the time either. I didn't have the knowledge at the time starting a security company.
Speaker 6: Bruh.
Speaker 3: I'm traveling the world right now with the number one motivational speaker in the world. I've been on stages four thousand people. Five thousand people just did invest fst I've never been to any kind of speaking school, i never had any kind of training.
Speaker 6: All of that comes from faith, though, it comes from.
Speaker 3: And I was prepared because over the years I've always worked on my faith muscle, and so now when the opportunity presents itself, I'm ready, not because I got this crazy knowledge, but because I believe. And so those are the different things man that faith, family, finance. Every single day, I'm working on the five pillars with my family. Pillar is not about just spending time with family, setting your family up. Each one of my kids got a trust account. I tell people all the time, there's no reason why your children, everybody's children and twenty twenty two is not gonna be millionaires.
Speaker 6: It's too simple.
Speaker 3: Right now, I got a building for each one of my children, and the net profit from the building goes to their investment account. So now by the time my children are my age at forty years old, each one of them will have millions in the bank because of compound and interest.
Speaker 6: It's like, it's that simple.
Speaker 3: But because your faith pillar is low, because you don't believe that that's possible, then you'll never even get started into doing something like that. And so bruh, it's those are the things that I feel like, you know, I lead by example by showing my family every single day the type of man that I am. I get up every single day. If somebody want to know what I'm doing or where I'm at, all they got to do is find me in the five pillars.
Speaker 5: Befo we leave. I want to talk about Scott's car building. Yeh, Chicago. So you're on the developments. It showed us the picture very impressive, so talk about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so man, this is a skyscraper.
Speaker 3: Brother, this is another thing that goes to the faith, something that I've never done before. No, I don't have any expertise in building skyscrapers. The most I've done was my house was ten thousand score feet when I bought it, and I added another ten thousand score feet to my house. That's the only development that I've ever done. But my business partners Johnny Mullins, Mark Bufort, Damon Stewart, and Gerald Williams. Johnny Mullins is one of the top black architects and developers in the country. He's done over ninety skyscrapers. And so my whole thing were just connecting yourself with the right people, you know. So, yeah, we have a skyscraper that we're doing. I'm not gonna say the location just yet, but let's say it's in a very hot area of Chicago. And this skyscraper is something that's built by all Black Devils Limit team, and you know, it's something that hasn't been done before.
Speaker 6: Not just that it's being.
Speaker 3: Built by all black development team, but it's owned by all black ownership team. And yeah, we all came together and it said it's time for us. It's like we always look to this generation. We look to past people and kind of like, oh, man, like, oh they developed this, they developed that. It's our turnout. There's no longer you know those people. We are those people now. And I think a lot of times, you know, with everything, we look to the past and it's like, bro, when are we going to step up and do it? And so, yeah, this is the development of a seventy million dollar development. It is going to change. It's going to be a staple in Chicago, and it's being built by us, and man, it's going to be life changing.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, I mean that's incredible. We actually spoke to a developer you may have heard of down here people a few weeks ago, and he was at investmentest about development that he's building in New York. And I know you got a chance to meet him, Yes, at investment.
Speaker 5: Moment of my life.
Speaker 2: What he's meant to you and what that encounter was like.
Speaker 6: Oh, bro, let me tell you something like I was telling y'all before, I.
Speaker 3: Don't get too excited, you know what I'm saying meeting people, But it's crazy because I was just cracking a jump to CJ. I was like, I was like, man, it's crazy, man, how I went from being on the squad car to the stage and now people. Man, I'm going up to people and I'm like, hey, you want to take a picture, and they shaking and they can't even open up their phone. And I was like, man, I don't even get it. Now, I'm just a regular person. Man, I don't even get my people act like that.
Speaker 6: Bro went up to Don Peebles.
Speaker 3: I was like, I was like, oh, I was shaking it and he was like because he told me to take his number down and I didn't even know what bud to push.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: Oh, Man I got Bro. He was like, yeah, you want to push that butt right there.
Speaker 5: And I was like, man, I now.
Speaker 6: See how other people feel.
Speaker 3: But man, it was just something man to see because when we first all got started, you know, we all listened to the audio book of Don Peeples and it was just inspiring.
Speaker 6: To see how he how he hustled bruh in DC.
Speaker 3: And being there with Mayor Barry or was it Marion Barry, and just to see how he just in a political way, came through the ranks and how he was able to do what he's doing now. And that's just the inspiration Bruther and It goes back to exposure. And I think see with me, a lot of people they get excited about asking people for stuff, Like how many people get excited. They just like, oh, man, man, Troy and shot they doing it. Man, I'm about to man, I'm gonna see man, my man, give me some money. I'm gonna see if they can look you, bro, I get excited just from an exposure. When I get exposed to something. Brother, you don't owe me nothing. You don't owe me nothing, because I'm gonna take that exposure and I'm gonna run with it, and that exposure will last a lifetime. But if you give me, you give me five thousand dollars, brud, ten thousand dollars to spend it, it's gonna be gone. But the exposure that you give me, I don't even need to ask, brother, exposure. Y'all just gave me an investments, bruh. It just let me know that it's possible. Like I said, I love seeing this dog. I love seeing it man too. Young black guys. Dog that's genuine been boys since high school. And y'all out here man educating the right way, showing people not about how to get rich quick, but how to do this, man, How to have a foundation, how to do it one property at a time, one investment at the time, one start. Y'all are broad and everything that y'all do, and what's gonna come from this? How many other Rashaan Troy's dog is coming up because they see y'all doing this and know it's possible. So I think that people don't really they look at what's going on now without really thinking about what's the compounding effect of what you all are doing. It compounds and I don't even know if y'all don't even see the results of it in the future, but I can already tell you the results are gonna be crazy.
Speaker 2: It's to go.
Speaker 5: So anything else you want to let the people know anything you got going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, just I mean, it ain't even about me, It's about them, you know. Just let them know that dog, it's possible, Like man, please, like hear my heart. Like I'm a that was a police officer. I was born to blue collar workers. Nine of us are blue collar. And I'm sitting here telling somebody out here listening to us think that it's not possible for him. They think that you know that you're all somebody special. You are special, but they think that you are just over here, You're just untouchable. They think that I'm untouchable. They think that I've just got lucky. I'm sitting there telling you. One thing that we all got in common is that we got crazy belief. And that's where it's start. Any investment, anything that you do, it starts with belief first. It's like, let that be the foundation of your life. The belief that you can do it, the belief that it is possible. And now the information part is easy. Brother. In my course, I've taught people of real estate in a matter of thirty minutes, but it's taking people five years to believe that it's possible. For him, you got the information, but you just don't believe. It's like real, just believe and then go for the information. And so just want to let people know, man, like life is not over for you. You know you worked here nine to five bruh on their job for the last twenty thirty years. People feel like they getting choked out. I mean you literally feel like you suffocate, like you can't breathe. So I just want my life, my message to be like a sense of air form a little sense of oxygen form and just no, don'll see me, and don't don't see the money I got. Don't see no, just see that I did all of this one property at the time. Like literally, I came up with the vision of my life. I got exposed to what it was that I wanted in life. Again, I kept doing it one property at a time. Some people want to start businesses. You letting the bank literally shut down your dream. Bruh, your business is in the bricks, Like literally, you can literally fix this property up, flip this property, take the net, pro season, put it towards your business. Yeah. It took me twenty a half years before we actually open up our first daycare center. But that day care center has been making us millions of dollars for the last seventeen years. It's just like like I just don't stop. Don't stop, man, Keep getting exposed to what earn your leisure, Keep getting exposed to all these different avenues, man, and and and and and literally go after it, because you only have one life to live.
Speaker 5: There you go fact very powerful, very powerful. Thank you for coming, brother. I'm sure a lot of people will be inspired and educated and hopefully you know, take a lot of action because anything is possible, and it's good to have, you know, testimony from people that have actually you know, done it and started from humble beginnings and uh, you know people can relate to. So appreciate it. Brother, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And he's an established author. I forgot to put that in the title. Man, don't quit your days drops about million.
Speaker 6: Crist your day job.
Speaker 2: Not yet, not yet.
Speaker 6: Matter of fact, I might come on part two.
Speaker 2: Not yet breaking news, Alric. Shout to everybody on patreon dot com. Shout out to all of our earners on Eyo University and some of the earners that are not part of the university. Just yet. Man, So shout out to everybody that's been supporting the movement. And I said, it's a movement because it's bigger than a moment. That's what we are building, is a movement. So shout out to all y'all. Shout everybody supporting the merch and shout out to them ey l fashion rebels out there. We got something for y'all. Please just be patient. Patients will pay. We love y'all, We appreciate y'all, lovers love.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys for rocking with us for see you next week.
Speaker 4: My graduates from my school being forced back drop drop, drop drop.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala merged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,