Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 4: Done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 3: An sv podcast coming at you fast.
Speaker 1: I'm Liza Trigger and I'm Kara Klank And every episode it's SVU, it's crime, it's interviews with guests, actors and other cool people, and it's our.
Speaker 3: First episode of the year. It's twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Obviously, you know, we're in the time machine, so we're still back in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: But I'm hoping Christmas hasn't even happened. But I hope your new year is good. You know what has happened? The Taylor Swift first episodes of the docu series have come out.
Speaker 1: I did read about the bonuses. The bonuses were in my were coming out.
Speaker 2: And I've watched those two episodes three times fully, and then the second one I've watched four times, and I'll probably I wish she didn't space them out, but I understand why she did, you know. Yeah, And I was kind of like people were talking about crying and I go, why the fuck is everyone crying? Not even two minutes in, I was crying, not even Tis. It's like one circle, like, you know, like a little team huddle before the concert in tears.
Speaker 3: In tears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so good, and I would say my favorite parts were Taylor and Florence and the machine rehearsing and like that surprise choreo that had to put together in secret, like in a few days. And so watching the choreographer her name is Mandy Moore, pretty tragic. I'm sure it's confusing to everyone constantly, but she is so cool. And then like her watching like Florence sing and being like, oh my god, like being excited by it and their friendship. And then Florence goes, you know, Taylor's just my cozy friend. But when I was lifted up, I was like, oh my god, it's Taylor Swift, you know, and I really liked that, and I just and then there's a co choreographer, like an assistant choreographer who was a dancer for live of like concerts and what does award shows and everything for decades, but you had to retire, you know. It's like a young person's game. And Taylor was just like Amanda, I think you're a pop star, Like you're a pop star, and brought her back into touring and like, you know, we got to watch a dancers audition tapes and meet their moms and watch their moms watch them.
Speaker 3: Like it really is cool.
Speaker 2: And I can't wait for more episodes because I'm sure we'll get to like learn about more of the people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, that's I love it. Well.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately the crew, like the documentary was supposed to start in Vienna where the terrorist attack waso and those children were stabbed. In Liverpool there was like a tailor dance party.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So that's like pretty unfortunate obviously, and like you see her talking about it and meeting the families and so it's pretty emotional, I would say, but I'm obsessed. And then I watched the whole three plus hour concert Lee organized my apartment with my friend.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I just I watched I watched Mariah Carey's Christmas show that streamed this past Saturday night, which was like December like twelfth or whatever, thirteenth. So it's not weird because I know it's January sixth for us right now, but I'm still pre Christmas in my mind and heart. But yeah, we watched Mariah's live stream. She did it on TikTok and.
Speaker 3: Cancer with friends, like did your kids love it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: With my friends because so my friend soph came to town because you know, she like mentors I Brady, who plays on Yukon batwomen's basketball, which like the best women's basketball team. So they were playing USC, so I got tickets to go see them, and unfortunately Ice was injured and isn't playing right now, but we got to see Yukon frankly just like wipe the floor with USC. I mean, they just started so good. It was really crazy. And went to the basketball game and then we were like drinking before the game.
Speaker 3: We were hanging out with Yukon alums.
Speaker 1: It was like so crazy everybody, and I was like, I'm from Connecticut, but I don't have one piece of clothing that says I'm from Connecticut, you know, like I have.
Speaker 3: I was like, I have.
Speaker 1: An old Trinity sweatshirt, but it's likely it's a different college. So I was, you know, hobnobbing with the Connecticut fans.
Speaker 3: And then while we're in there, I walk.
Speaker 1: Into this bar where all the Connecticut fans are hanging out at the very beginning, and my friend goes, well, this guy over here produced the Santa Claus all the Santa Claus movies, if you're interested, And I was.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm okay.
Speaker 1: And then we took a tequila shot. I never take shots of tequila, but I was like, for you, Khan, you know. Then we watched the game and it was crazy, like there's like players, like there's this one player, Asy Fudd, and like her dad was outside after the at halftime, just in the area.
Speaker 3: Where my friends were sitting.
Speaker 1: Everybody taking pictures of him with him like he was a celeb as the dad, which I'm sure like Taylor Swift's parents get like insanely mobbed. But yeah, and then when we got by the time we got home, we were like, Okay, we're gonna keep like drinking and hanging out, but I don't think we can leave the house.
Speaker 3: So we just watched Mariah and had some cocktails. It was fun. Okay, that is really And it was my friend Liz to who you know, and Liz and I went to Mariah two years ago. It was cute.
Speaker 2: So is it a live Where was she singing, where was the market she was in Vegas?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 2: Is this where the footage of Rihanna losing her shit? Was the time of her life?
Speaker 1: And that is that Rihanna? And we were like, we were like, is that Rihanna? And then we were like, no, she just had a baby, but there she was.
Speaker 3: She was loving it. It was great.
Speaker 1: It was a lot like the concert that I saw, except I don't think but Rock and Row were not in this one, or if they were, they didn't get like a private moment.
Speaker 3: If they were, they were just kind of no, we didn't. I didn't see them.
Speaker 1: They had like a part when I saw her at the Hollywood Bowl. They were like, sec Maybe.
Speaker 3: It's different for a live show versus a stream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was a full concert. It was like a full concert.
Speaker 2: No, I mean in terms of privacy, but the kids, Yeah on TV, but I just I wonder if that's it or yeah, yeah, it's going on.
Speaker 3: It was cute.
Speaker 1: They had a little Santa Claus who was like doing the Roger Rabbit, Like they hired a Santa who could dance like you know, it was cute.
Speaker 3: I was rampis well.
Speaker 2: I wrapped gifts horror, right, Yeah, it's really weird. But Tony Collett's in it, Collett and Adam Scott. But it's like, I actually can't figure it out because there's not just it's a lot of monsters. It's a lot of monsters. Yeah, it's not just one. It's pretty wild. Casey, have you seen Crampus smiled? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: What is is? Crampis generally regarded as a good piece of cinema.
Speaker 2: It set sixty two percent when I clicked on it, and I said.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought it was I thought it was fun.
Speaker 5: I thought it was a good you know that's like kind of a genre onto itself, like the horror Christmas. Oh yes movie, And so I had a fun time. I remember really enjoying it and laughing and being scared.
Speaker 3: So last year Jared made me watch that horror movie that's old. Please tell me the name of it, Casey. It's Black Christmas. It's a bunch of girls in their dorm rooms.
Speaker 6: Black.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Black Christmas. He knew before you even said it. Wait, I want to watch Black Christmas.
Speaker 5: Black Christmas is really good and it kind of invented the slasher genre.
Speaker 3: So not just a good.
Speaker 2: Okay, the cover of the movie is like a woman suffocating with a plastic bag on her face.
Speaker 3: Yeah the cover. Yeah, I'm watching.
Speaker 5: It's also the same director as a Christmas Story. Bob Clark's done some iconic movies.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking now that you've mentioned old obviously, Rob Reiner, what the fuck? Oh my god, I was out with people last night and then the new It was like first that, then it's a double, then it's a murder, then it's just it's like, I don't know whoror was so upsetting, And the reason I thought of it was because what a varied career and so many different types of movies and like a part of so many people's lives, Like like it would.
Speaker 1: Have been one thing if he just directed stand By Me, but he directed like ten movies that were like important to me growing up, like when Harry met Sally, Misery, like Princess Bride. Stand By Me is like one of my favorite movies of all time. I mean, like it's really deeply fucked up, and I am so beyond disgusted how the fucking president of this country responded to it. It was it's just awful, like and I just everybody feels really really I feel like shaken by this.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like funny, like when I first started dating Jared, he would always talk to me about directors of movies, and I'd be like, I don't know who directors are, Like I know a movie, I know who's in it, Like I don't know who directors are. Like maybe I knew a Spielber like, but not even like I didn't even know for sure any of that shit until I was way older. And now it's like, of course, oh, I know a pt Anderson movie, and I know a Scorsese and I know this and that, but I didn't care about it.
Speaker 3: But I always knew who Rob Ryner was.
Speaker 1: He was like a director that was like in the country also because he was an actor, but like I didn't really watch him as an actor. I knew him as a as a director. So it's just really fucked. It's really really devastating, and.
Speaker 2: I am just like, I don't know your kids. I hope it's not true. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just well, do you want to hear how fucked my like SVU brain is. When Jared first told it me, he just said, oh my god. He was found with his wife murdered or dead with stab wounds, and I go where they live? I mean after I was shocked. I was shocked, and then I said where do they live? And he said Brentwood, and I go, God, I hope it wasn't like one of his kids or something, because I was like, if he lives in Brentwood and he's he's got a security system and nobody is home, invading someone as rich as him in Brentwood in the middle of the holiday season, like they would wait for him to be not home or something. And so my brain just went through all of the like sbu of it all, and I was like, if there was no forced entry, which maybe there was, I hadn't even heard yet. And then Jared ten minutes later goes it was his son, and I was like, oh my god, my mind is so fucked from watching true crime and fictionalized crime or you know, right on top of it. Yeah, but now very upsetting. Yeah, but Black Christmas is scary. But it's one of those movies that ends with.
Speaker 3: Well, don't tell me I want to watch that.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just saying, you don't get I don't get satisfied at the end.
Speaker 3: That's why.
Speaker 1: And the and Jared's like, that's part of it, and I'm like, no, I want you know, like I so that's all, but I won't say what happens.
Speaker 2: But I'm also excited because for my friend, you know, my big Christmas it's I didn't buy new wrapping paper because that's not my really my style. But everyone's getting a signature wrapping paper. So each person gets thrown, and I am, it's just like paper bag when is newspaper.
Speaker 1: It's not like rich, but I'm kind of into it. Everyone gets and then everybody knows what their gifts are. It's like site right right away. Yeah, I mean, oh my god. So you know me, I get too over excited.
Speaker 2: So I'm obsessed with this girl bag Crap and she makes she made me like a glitter cheese keychain, but she sells and makes bag chains out of vintage toys and keychains and little barbies and fun stuff.
Speaker 3: Bag Crap is the name of her like business.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, yeah, And she posted an Arthur thing and it was like little teeny charms, all the Arthur character and even the parents, like it was like fifteen of them. And so I reacted insanely and she goes, well, if you want, I'll let you pick them before I put them on sale. You can get first DIBs. So then I picked a few. She goes, if you pick more, I'll give them two for cheaper. I'm like, you know, I want to. I made a cute little chain of Arthur's stuff. I like, was so stressed. I wanted to get it in before the sale started. And she's like, successful and great. But I went back today and like, all the other ones are still available, and I just think there's a crazy demand of like people wanting to buy Arthur little keychains that I was like craze. I was ruining a dinner making everyone helped me decide which ones to pick, and like, truly I could have taken my time, but I felt special she let me do the well.
Speaker 1: It also reminds me of when when Eric Carl was dying and you were like, I should buy all this Eric Carl stuff, like it's gonna be huge. We have our Eric call Hungry Carl hungry caterpillar ornament that you gave us on our tree.
Speaker 3: Oh cute.
Speaker 1: It's very heavy, so I have to use a paper clip to hold it up on the tree, but it looks very cute, and the kids love that fucking caterpillar.
Speaker 2: So I love that caterpillar and a but yeah, I just get so like in my head and like everyone's going to be fighting for the best of the best.
Speaker 3: Everyone's gonna want Binky.
Speaker 2: Everyone's gonna want Binky, right, and then it's like, oh my god, like you're at the top. The things that I am like so that I think are precious are really not seen that way.
Speaker 3: When we were growing up. Was the theme song the same as Arthur?
Speaker 1: Like, Hey, what a wonderful kind of d I really love that theme song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of the Marley Brothers. It's like, oh, kids, yeah, it's a Marley. It's ziggy.
Speaker 1: It's really freaking catchy. I like sing it walking around the house because.
Speaker 3: They watch it.
Speaker 1: They watch Arthur sometimes. But I didn't remember the theme song from being younger.
Speaker 2: Oh and obviously the deadline of Variety or whatever it was did come out that Iced Tea will be in the season of Survival of the Thickest.
Speaker 3: He was on set.
Speaker 2: I was not there, but we're all just we all got to just hope for the premiere.
Speaker 3: We got to hope for a run in at the premiere.
Speaker 1: We need it, but we have to all send. You know, it happened with Garcel, I have no doubt it can happen with Ice. I feel like, yeah, we got a let's get Michelle on it. Michelle's gotta know she's not gonna have anything else to do that night.
Speaker 3: She should just.
Speaker 2: Work on making it well. We also like this last episode. It's very personal to her, but she was directing it too, so it would be fun like she's directing in it, like writing it and I am trying to meet Iced Tea.
Speaker 3: But I got a lot of scoop. People were excited.
Speaker 2: It was Yeah, So I hope, I hope I get to Angina Alliance. I mean, we'll see, We'll see what happens, but Ice is definitely my goal at this premiere.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, I was with some of my friends at like some friends and kids from school from Rosie School and Oscar School.
Speaker 3: So we were talking.
Speaker 1: About concerts for some reason, and somebody was like, like, because a lot of them are are Latinos. So they were like, oh, we should be supporting j Lo's tour. Like, I don't know if it's her residency in Vegas, I don't know if it's selling super well, and I go, well, my friend is going.
Speaker 3: So I was like, I do know.
Speaker 1: One person that is supporting and going, so I think it will be it will be good. But by the time this episode comes out, you'll have attended a Backstreet.
Speaker 3: Boys in a j LO.
Speaker 2: The next January episode is going to be five hours long. I feel like we're gonna have so much to chat to catch up on.
Speaker 1: I need to know how the gifts landed. I need to know what you received.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what didn't land So my niece and nephews, you know famously they don't never give me attention. They're never giving me attention, so It'tnica and I decide, I mean we also Australia. I mean, tragedy everywhere, but so Tonica. I text the niece and nephews in a group check in a group chat, and I go, hey, drop your venmo, I'd love to give you some Aunt Honica money. No one responded, I'm trying to give money to these children. I'm like, what did I do? I don't understand it.
Speaker 3: These kids don't need money.
Speaker 2: Come on, I I just like, I can't make it more clear that I'm trying as hard as I can.
Speaker 3: Nothing. Nothing.
Speaker 1: I also texted them about Benji nothing Benji, none of them.
Speaker 2: And I texted them last week too because I found out there's five Jewish players in the NHL.
Speaker 3: So I thought they would like to know that. Didn't. Yeah, they didn't care.
Speaker 1: They are they are so deep into their too cool era, it seems well, I just I don't know, but you know, I'm spiraling. I mean, the youngest I knew was hard to grab attention from. But the other two I thought you could get something from them.
Speaker 2: Money, guys, drop your venmo, That's what I wrote. I mean, whatever, insane, insane.
Speaker 1: If I had an aunt that was just like yo, money coming your way, I feel like, here's my venmo.
Speaker 3: I'll come to you. I'm fine to Florida. Jesus.
Speaker 2: No, these kids are well taken care of, I guess, and they need nothing from insanity from their aunt. You know how I've been non stop talking about Natalie Palomides's show, right like yeah, stop, like I don't.
Speaker 3: I loved it. I loved it. I wanted to make sure everyone got to go that wanted to go.
Speaker 2: So I also that day is when I saw it the dayzor on one and so, and then I met up with Jared Goldstein that night. I don't know if I remember I mentioned it on this podcast or whatnot, but I've been telling him and everyone to go see this. I get a text from him, going, do you want to see Natalie Palomida's show Wednesday, December seventeenth at eight Cherry Lane. Tickets are one seventy. I hear it's a life changing show.
Speaker 3: Who said that to you? Jared Goldstein? In all caps?
Speaker 2: I wrote, I've seen it and been telling you multiple times to see it. I'm the one who told you this. Who do you think you heard it from? It was me learned to listen to women. And then I sent him the copy of the ticket.
Speaker 4: But like.
Speaker 2: I saw him after I saw it, I've been talking about it NonStop. I go, if you're back, you gotta get it, inviting me to go see it.
Speaker 3: Good, hilarious, this happened. Never living that down. No, he does this.
Speaker 2: He'll bring something up to him like I told you this, I told you. I can't even believe this, or I'll be like, oh did you know this?
Speaker 3: I go I said it. I said it eight minutes ago. I said it, I said it, but that one I was my favorite. I'm like, I literally you mean what.
Speaker 1: I just said two seconds ago, my suggestion from five minutes.
Speaker 3: Ago, Like yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: And I'm not quiet. Neither of us are mumbling. No, neither of us are.
Speaker 3: We're talking so much people have to like put some of it out.
Speaker 1: They're picking and choosing when to tune and into now, and they're missing some things they're missing.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 1: I was also going to say, I'm also going to the I'm going to be near the I thought of you because I'm going to be near the comedy store tonight. I'm going to the Mariah Carey pop up bar. I'm my god, you can't get enough. You can't get enough.
Speaker 3: My friend, my friend got tickets and was like, do you want to go to this?
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, you know, I like going to Wee how it feels like I'm visiting my old like the old country for me.
Speaker 2: You know, I hate the new vander Pump, but that's not get bad. I haven't even attempted.
Speaker 3: I don't care about these people. I don't care. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The preview really had me like I was like, this isn't it for me.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 2: We really had something special and Lala and Sheena had to ruin it by trying to be team Tom Sandoval instead of doing a girl power season. And that's that. Yeah, we could have continued having something lovely. Wait, Kara, you have to tell me about Arden's party, her famous holiday birthday part, famous holiday birth the one time I was there with you. We danced with Rebecca Romain and Jerry o'connells and lands Bad. I mean it's a star sunded party. Yeah, tell me what I've what I missed this year. Rebecca Romaine was back great. I think she was with a child, one of the kids.
Speaker 1: I think she was with one of the kids because they're like older now, they're like like not a child, they're like older teens, you know. And uh, who else did I see?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: I met Billy Lee from at her pump. Okay, exciting, Yes, that was exciting. She show me about her stand up journey. And then she has really good skin. I feel she did, Yeah, she did. She had like her makeup looked really really good and she looked and she looks great. And then I suburb Chreischer and his wife and I saw some people on the dance floor that I was like, ah, but I now I'm like blanking. I met this actress from that show Children's Hospital, very pretty. She's done a lot of comedy stuff with people, but I'm like fully blanking on her name. I talked to her for a long time, and then I was talking to Brian Safie and Bridger.
Speaker 3: You know, I love when I get to that party.
Speaker 1: I admittedly get into a corner with like three gay men and I don't leave for the first hour. And Jared is always like, I guess I'll just go find someone to talk to, like he just has other friends there. But I just I honestly missed some people I knew were at the party because I was just in my little, you know, cloud of shit talk with my friends for a few minutes and for a little more than a few minutes, and then yeah, I got on the dance for At one point I'm like, who else did I see? There were a couple of characters.
Speaker 2: But well, okay, I I did ask Kat for the first time. Oh my gosh, Yeah, I was the monologue so cool.
Speaker 1: I did the monologue a la years ago and it was it was fun, but it wasn't doing it in New York doing the monologue.
Speaker 3: Is it different? It's just different.
Speaker 2: Laughing so hard tears, my makeup guts ruined for the rest of the night. I was laughing so hard.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: My brother Colin used to like get in line up one pm on a Sunday, No to go to like the ten o'clock, and he would be like, in line in time to go to the eight o'clock and be like, no, the ten o'clock's better, Like he would want to go to the later one.
Speaker 3: He would always go to the w.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was like back in the day when it was at Chelsea, maybe there was like a seven and a nine, and he would always go to the later one, even though I was like, you could go to the early and He's like they would play cards, get food, chit chat, smoke SIGs. I guess, just chill so that they could go. It was like a cultural thing for them. And I went a couple of times and was like the improv is so good and there would always be like a celebrity there doing a monologue or somebody really great. And then I did the monologue one time at UCB Sunset. It's just really not the same vibe as getting to do it in New York. So that's really cool.
Speaker 2: Everyone was so fucking funny. I knew a couple of them, but most people were fully new to me. And yeah, it's just fun because it's based on your own true stories. Yeah, like you're you're not getting g roasted, but it's like I don't and that the chair is really comfortable.
Speaker 3: It was like it was a great start to mind. What suggestion might did somebody give you?
Speaker 2: So the first suggestion two people one yelled out souvenir and one person yelled out school. So died two quick stories, one of for each. The second one was, those.
Speaker 1: Are good suggestions for you because I feel you're a big souvenir queen and you have a lot of different school stories.
Speaker 2: The second one was haircut, which is crazy because I was a salum receptionist.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I went through my career.
Speaker 2: And then the third I didn't like it, like I made I made people.
Speaker 3: I was like, I don't want that. I don't want that. I don't want that.
Speaker 2: And then finally someone said wedding and I went out, okay, Okay, so I did that. So those are my three that I got today. But yeah, if people want to laugh, you should definitely go to that.
Speaker 3: I really really fun, really good good.
Speaker 2: It makes me also, you know, I just don't watch improv ever. No, it was also like truly seeing it and being like, oh my god, this is so good, like I forget the best in PA, Like they're so good.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, they're good, and they're relaxed because if you've made it to askat then you're like the best that you see be has and so you're not like, am I gonna make it on a team?
Speaker 3: Am I good?
Speaker 1: You know, like you're just not you know, it's kind of like watching somebody who's been doing stand up for a long time, like they're not really worried about getting Montreal anymore. You know, they're just like Lucy Goosey and having a good time and that's why they're that's they're the fun want.
Speaker 2: They're like patient, Like no one you could tell their release seasons, like you said, because no one was trying to be the person. No one was like yeah, trying to fight the rhythm. Everyone was just like really fluid in and out. Quts.
Speaker 3: It was cool. It was really cool.
Speaker 1: Where was it was it at the new where's the new UCB in New York?
Speaker 2: New UCB is on Fourteenth Street between second and third.
Speaker 3: Oh great, yeah, yeah cool.
Speaker 1: And I know exactly. That's so close to you too, and amazing it was.
Speaker 2: I got to walk and then oh I did open for someone at Grammar's cy Theater and it was really fun and I got to meet everyone that works there because I will be there February twenty first, Hello, Fab twenty one.
Speaker 3: Get those tickets. I like that I got to be there before just to get the lay of the land. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: But go to That's messed up live for Lisa's tour dates. You can also still get merch. I know it's after the holiday, but you can still get our Lowis Lewis. We're gonna have some new merch too that we have ideas for the new year that we're gonna drop soon. And yes, stay tuned, we have some exciting stuff coming up this year here at That's messed Up Headquarters.
Speaker 3: And I'm on the road. I'm on the road. I'm on the road.
Speaker 2: Website hopefully coming soon. I mean yeah, lawyers are hard. Like the lawyer has to go over the servicing contract and it's like, get me the website.
Speaker 3: I don't understand, Like I don't want this, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: As the website is done, it will be linked it. That's messed up live. So whatever it says for Lisa's website, go to that for now, and then when the website's ready, it'll go to that, right yea, the punch ups, you'll tell me mine is ready.
Speaker 3: No, the punch ups ready, but okay.
Speaker 2: So on my way to soul Cycle on Saturday, on Taylor'slip's birthday, I see there's a dog adoption on the street corner. There's a dog named Benson, Like like, so look at that little doggie. So I go to soul Cycle and on my way, I'm like, I'm gonna go visit the dog. I like, fucking I need to see Benson. So then I also post about it. I'm like, someone adopt Benson. Then I walk over there Benson's been adopted, so like immediately, the next story eight minutes later is just like, Benson's adopted. And my friend Lane just made fun of me. He's like, I like that, you were like, someone adopt this dog. Problem solved like immediately, no.
Speaker 3: I went in there.
Speaker 2: It was really hard. I really wanted Jerry and Rally too. Look at Jerry, Look at Jerry.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, they're all so cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, I donated some money and kept it moving.
Speaker 3: I maybe twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty six is the year that you, one of you Tommies can bring a dog into your life.
Speaker 3: But I thought you met me.
Speaker 1: I yeah, well, I just don't think you can with all of your roads stuff. But I think one day a dog will be in your life. Yeah, you know, but I just seems.
Speaker 3: Like a lot right now.
Speaker 2: I know, like landing and having to take a dog to poop. I mean it's the pooping. Besides the pooping. I don't think they would be one day take them out in the freezing cold. I would have a late night girl like I wouldn't. My dog wouldn't wake up early.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know how dogs work. Is that how they work? Can you just tell you bond with the dog. The dog is gonna do what I want to do eventually? Now is that wrong?
Speaker 3: Casey's like, ah.
Speaker 2: There are people that post on Instagram and like, look at my dog here at Because if I keep this dog up till three in the morning, what they're gonna want to be out at six am.
Speaker 3: No way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, they're gonna need their sleep. But and the dog's gonna be out with me. Like the dog is gonna be doing Spot Yeah that, but dog's gonna have his own tel Far yeaeah to be like a little ride along tell Far.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get started.
Speaker 1: We have an awesome episode to kick off the new year. Oh my god, this episode is hot huge.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: We are doing Chicago Crossover Season sixty, episode seven. This is This episode comes out around twenty fourteen, follow twenty fourteen, and it's a big It's like one of these big, annoying crossover events.
Speaker 3: It's only annoying if you don't watch the other shows.
Speaker 1: I've never seen a second of Chicago Fire, but I have dabbled in PD a little bit here and there for the crossovers.
Speaker 2: The bar that they shoot at, that's where I used to go every Tuesday for an open mic that Mike Joyce. So a lot of that's the yeah, because I remember when they started filming Chicago Fire and they would change the bar and we'd be like, oh my god, like we were excitedly, you know, I would go.
Speaker 3: We're excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I didn't realize that Chicago Fire started before PD because this I do, but it's only because it's like a season before. Yeah, so if you're interested, this starts with episode Nobody Touches Anything, Season three, episode seven of Chicago Fire.
Speaker 3: Then we do this episode and then it ends.
Speaker 1: Up with a Chicago PD episode called They'll have to Go Through Me Season two, episode seven, and I will give you the full synopsis of what they find before what they find after these the SPU episode in case you don't want to do all that. So yeah, all three of these episode aired on November twelve, twenty fourteen. So Dick Wolf just wanted everyone seated and firing money into his bank account for three straight hours, Like just keep your channel trained on NBC and you just watch them all three together. And I guess that's like what they want to happen in the old model of TV. And now it's like they'll do these crossovers and it's like, well, if you do a crossover with OC, not everyone has Peacock, you know what I mean, Like they're not putting OC like on linear anymore, so you better do a really really in depth what like previously on or whatever you know, recap at the beginning. So a little background in the Chicago Fire episode. The whole Chicago Fire Department gang is at a routine apartment fire when they come upon a box of photo and they're a wholesome family vacation to Disney, just kidding. They're very disturbing photos that involve young children, obviously, so they call Chicago PD where scratchy voice voight you know the guy who's the head it dogs like this. He works with Sophia Bush aka Aaron Lindsay, who we've seen in the episode Comic Perversion. Now Lindsey goes through all the picks and she notices somebody that she knows in the pictures, and then they link the photos to a database of missing kids in New York City, and obviously they come barking up Olivia Benson's tree, and that's where we are at the beginning of this as FU episode. So the episode opens with Benson pushing the best Noah baby Noah on the swings at the playground with Amorrow, and you know, they look like a little family. It's kind of cute, and then you know, rfk's voice twin blows up her cell, and he's like, like a apparently these Chicago PD folks are en route to New York. And she tells him that she sent the picks to Nick Mick and that's the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, who linked them to a pedophile ring that's been sex trafficking kids for a decade. And he's like a decade, how come you haven't caught them or whatever? And she's like, I'm gonna brief Lindsay in Halstead when they get here, So he lets Olivia know this is personal for Lindsay. One of the victims is her half brother, and so that's who she's that's the picture she saw.
Speaker 3: Benson is like, duh, I already know that. I know everything.
Speaker 1: So they hang up and she explains the situation to Nick and then she tells Noah, five more pushes. He's way too young to know how many pushes that is, but he's smiling, he's happy. Nick is taking a video on his phone. They're like a cute little fam at the park. And now we're at the precinct. Amarro is asking Finn, hey is Halstead the guy who hit on Rawins in Chicago? And Finn goes nas some other pretty boy, and who they're actually referencing is Adam Ruzek, who is on Chicago PD And this this flirtation happened in the episode Conventions on Chicago p D.
Speaker 3: But that guy's never been on SVU.
Speaker 1: So if you're an sv person and you're not listening to this podcast, you have no idea what they're even fucking talking about. Live introduces everyone in in her office, like this is Aaron Lindsay that's played by Sophia Bush and Jay Halstead, And he's played by Jesse Lee Sofer, who was on Chicago p D for eight years.
Speaker 3: The actor.
Speaker 1: He was on Chicago p D for eight years and then moved over to FBI International. And he also plays Bobby Brady in the Brady Bunch movies, which I love me too. I really love the like the Shelley Long Brady Bunch movies.
Speaker 3: And I'm really excited that he And.
Speaker 1: Wait, isn't the guy from VEEP the dad the dad in the Brady Bunch movies. It's the guy from v Yeah, but Gary Cole, Gary Cole, yes, yeah, SVO is an SVU, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I love him well. I love Pineapple Express. I actually don't watch it enough. I really remember laughing so much at that movie. I haven't seen that in a while either. Yeah, I think I remember liking him.
Speaker 1: Rollins runs into a meeting late with clearly like a made up lie about getting stuck in the tunnel because she can't say it like all in the one clear sentence, and we can tell by Benson's face that she's kind of like clocking the lateness and the excuse. But do they ever mention the reason why. They certainly don't. We never get back to that. That got edited out, so they explained. Listen, Chicago Fire Department found this box of photos at the apartment of Andrew Llewellyn, and one of the victims is a guy named Teddy Courtney, and he's Lindsay's half brother who ran away ten years ago. And her mom, she doesn't say how she knows this, but my mom knows he came to New York City.
Speaker 3: That's actually to begin with.
Speaker 1: I don't watch Chicago PD really, but we all know Aaron Lindsay had like kind of a struggling childhood, bad bad parent parental situation, got into some bad shit, maybe like drug sales or whatever, and then Voight took her under his wing and that's how she becomes a cop and she's a detective over in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because if you guys are our listeners of this pod, you've watched day Dream Believer, which she was in. Yeah, it's the Nadia episode. So we've definitely done some Sofia Bush episodes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but that's a little bit about Aaron Lindsay's background. Yeah, she's you know, she came from you know, tough beginnings, and so that's why it's like possible that you have a half brother that would have just like disappeared that you can't that you haven't heard from in ten years. Nick Mick ran his face, uh, and they found more images of him, and they this pedophilia ring. Slash Club is still active and they've upgraded to live streaming since Teddy's childhood days. They want to ask Teddy some questions and Tomorrow, who's never read a room in his entire life, goes assuming he's alive, right in front of his damn sister, and then everybody's like, dog.
Speaker 3: What the fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: He half apologizes, and then what he's in the middle of apologizing lives like, shut the fuck up. So now they're gonna search all the systems for Teddy. Let's run an age progression, let's do mugshots. They're gonna need Lindsay's DNA, etc. They're gonna find this guy. Next, we're watching, Oh my god, we're watching an awful video of a teen boy begging to be let go.
Speaker 3: His name is Henry.
Speaker 1: The purpose off camera and he he goes, if you keep crying, I'm gonna have to gag you. I mean, he's creepy. Like all the guys we've seen in any of these videos that we've seen on the show, is like they're always off camera talking in a very calm voice while a child is like hysterical. And this kid, this actor is very good. He's like really really fucking me up. He's crying, he's chained to a bed, he looks terrified. The guy's telling him, oh, got a special request from one of our members. So this is super fucked. We're all we're seeing this video and then we pull out. We're watching the video with Special Agent O'Connell from the FBI, who we've also seen in the episode Friending Emily from season fourteen. The Megan Fahey episode Downloaded Child in season fifteen, he's this guy who's a special agent who works like specifically on these trafficking rings and like see Sam that's on the internet. And you know, I think we saw him in Downloaded Child being just like yeah, you just it's whack them all. You're never gonna get them all. You just keep putting one away, and there's more. It's like horrible, you know, he's like you can see this guy has no life left in his eyes, but he's sitting there watching this.
Speaker 2: The actor's name is Frank dial Well. I think he's a manifest guy.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, And he played an ada named Don Newvine in the first season of SVU. Then in the second season he's a defense attorney named Don Newvine. So he's just an ADA that switched to defense attorn, which we've seen before. I mean, that's like happened to Barba. But in season two he defends the pedophile in Countdown and the guy in Scourge who has untreated syphilis and becomes the night Ripper where he just starts killing a bunch of people's Karen Allen's husband. So it's like a wild career move for this man to go from like prosecuting pedophiles to being like, actually, this guy from Countdown might.
Speaker 3: Not be so bad.
Speaker 1: The guy who like does children's birthday party. Anyway, I think that's who he's defending in it. But I looked at he kind.
Speaker 2: Of looks like Matt Walsh from Veep. He does, yeah, he does. He absolutely does, like a little older. But I remember his manifest era. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: He says he's an escape at dan Mora.
Speaker 1: Oh I okay, So anyway, this guy had a wild move and now like whatever, but he's played a bunch of different characters and now he's this special agent O'Connell from the FBI, I guess. And he tells them the Chicago shots linked to this pedophile ring which calls itself the Chess and Checkers Club, And I was wondering why they kept calling it a club. I was like, guys, this isn't like fun, this isn't like poker. Why we keep calling it a club? And it's because they call themselves a club. And that's the first time I've seen a pedophile ring really call themselves a club.
Speaker 3: Make it seem like it's a fun, little social event.
Speaker 1: The club members are watching from all over the world, paying through encrypted links, and the video just keeps getting worse. The kids sounds more and more terrified, and so far the FBI has not been able to shut the shit down, and lives like, well, if they won't, then we will. And I just think it's it's noble. I love her tenacity, but it's like, how do you have the same resources as the FBI in terms of tech. You've got terru you know what I mean, There's no way you can shut down. But you know, she says what she wants to do, and she does get to the bottom of things. So we hear the kids saying I want to go home as we go to credits, it's dark as hell. So now top of act one, at the precinct, the Chicago hotties are getting some coffee. Rollin's busts in on their heart to heart and is like, like, let's go home, huh, Like why don't we call it a night. I've got some illegal gambling to attend to, Like, let's just get out of here, like Gambler's Fallacy was this season before where she gets busted. So it makes me feel like she's relapsed or something. I don't really know where we are in the in season sixteen with this in her gambling journey, but she's acting weird, like.
Speaker 3: She's going up to these two cops from Chicago, going, we'll just call it a night.
Speaker 1: I know your brother is like missing and like in this pedalphile ring, but should we just I don't know, you guys want to just go to bed, And Paul said is like, oh, I'm waiting on the New Jersey database. I'm gonna go check on that. So it leaves Rollins with Lindsay checks in with her. They're like establishing a little friendship between the two of them throughout this arc. Who says like it could easily be me and Teddy's place, like I had a tough childhood and and Rollins is like, yeah, I have a sister I haven't talked to in two years. Like it's you know, complicated family. Shit is right up my is in my wheelhouse. So I get it, and Finn gets a hit from an age progressed photo of Teddy which looks like he was arrested for solicitation five years ago under the name Ted Voight, which I of course immediately clock as the guy who's the bensons, Yeah, I don't know if I could watch the show because of his voice.
Speaker 3: It's two groups gravelly.
Speaker 1: I can't real it's so gravelly it would drive me crazy. It's like I can't listen to RFK talk for that long. And I know it's a medical condition and I shouldn't be making fun of it, but he's a fucking nightmare. So I think I'm gonna just go ahead and keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Does something as a medical condition doesn't mean it can't negatively impact me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like the way it sounds in my ears. Hall said picks up on the Voight and is like, what's up, and Lindsay goes, yeah, Teddy and Voight used to know each other, and she confirms, yeah, that is my brother, like in this mugshot, and yeah. She wants to go talk to the people at the youth center where he was last released, and Amaro's like, why don't you let us take the first meeting because like he's actually probably right, like the sister barging in there is probably not the way to go professionally at the beginning. So now they're at West Way Youth Center and the woman working there says Teddy's a repeat customer. They have a good track record with kids with some kids, but then there's kids like Teddy. And she says, you know, he got sent here twice. He ran away both times. Both times he was here less than a week. Amara tries to guilt this woman about like don't you have security? Why do you let them out? And she's like, we keep the streets out, not our residents in. This isn't to prison, which makes sense, and I get that, and that is how most group homes work.
Speaker 3: They're not in lockdown, you know.
Speaker 1: She asks George the security guard, if he remembers Teddy, and he says he doesn't. Flag that for follow up, we're not talking about random security guard named George for no fucking reason. All the kids are damaged and some are, some more than others she's talking about. And they're like, any idea who he might be with, like who he maybe stayed in touch with, And she goes, well, the last time he was here, he seemed to know this other girl named jocelynster Pass. She's one of our success stories. So they go talk to Jocelyn as she's leaving school. She doesn't really want to talk to Rollins or Hallstead, that's who that's who it is. It's Rowlins and it's boy Chicago Hallstead. She walks, she keeps walking. They follow her. She's like, yeah, I'm doing great. I'm going to graduate high school. I'm gon go to college. And they're like, well, how do you know Teddy? And she's like from the life and she's like, you guys have looked up my record, right, And then when they they like they're like, yeah, we kind of know about your past. She seems embarrassed and angry, and she's like, well, you're not talking to a fourteen year old prostitute. You're talking to someone who's going to be a teacher. So you know, she doesn't want people to look at her through that lens of like her past. So Rollins promises that they're not judging. She's like, you clearly haven't talked to SVU. Like, babe, we are not judging. We just want to find Teddy and she goes, well, last I heard he was working the Peers. So Lindsay goes to Benson's office and she's stoked about this lead and she's like, let's go now, and Benson's like, honey, we have to wait until it's dark for anything to start turning up at the peers. Okay, like we're not going to just turn off now, and but you know, there's no one there in the daytime. Lindsay realizes that the peers are where the are where people go after the pedophiles are done with them, like where they get sort of tossed out, and she tells Lindsay, Yeah, it's like a pretty rough scene and we're not sure Teddy's there. Lindsay feels guilty that she waited this long to find Teddy. She says she was ted fifteen when he disappeared, but that would have made her twenty five years old as a detective, which I think is like not possible while she lived with her mentor Yeah, but I also looked up her age on the Wikipedia for Chicago PD, and she would be she'd be twenty nine at this time, So the timing is a little off for how long Teddy's been gone, et cetera, et cetera, or how old she was.
Speaker 3: Whoah, you really caught that weight. I really are saying that this this is a blip.
Speaker 2: And on the official Chicago PD info she's twenty nine at this time or she would have.
Speaker 1: Been, yes, because they have her birthday, and I'm assuming the diehards who edit the Wikipedia for Chicago Beaty know when her birthday is, you know, yeah, and so like her birthday is like at eight, like in eighty seven, I think. And so at this time, she's twenty nine, not whatever, not twenty five. And also even living with your mentor, I think it's hard to go through the police academy and get all the way up to fucking detect him by twenty five.
Speaker 3: Twenty nine makes a lot more sense. It's still pretty young.
Speaker 1: But you got him, Yeah, I got you, guys, I got you good. She was fifteen when he disappeared, and Benson's like, what could you have done? Like, you couldn't have done anything. You didn't know where he was. You were fifteen years old. And I think she feels bad. She hasn't tried to find him since she's been a cop or whatever. So now they're at the West Village Piers and it's party time. Music is playing, people are dancing, they're laughing, they're waiting for customers. You know, everyone seems like they're having a pretty nice time, even though I know there's a lot of trauma involved, Hall said, and Rawlins roll up and he's like, oh, this is like Boystown in Chicago, and he goes, yeah, it's kind of like your wild West, and she goes yeah, except there's like five million dollar condos across the street.
Speaker 3: But you know, these kids have nowhere else to go.
Speaker 1: So Rollins flashes a flashlight at these two ladies and one goes, hey, Risolian Isles, turn that off.
Speaker 3: And I was obsessed with that light. Yeah, so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a reference to Rossolian Isles is in Angie Harmon, who's another law and ordered dejective, so it's kind of a law and order lawyer.
Speaker 3: It's kind of connected.
Speaker 1: But also Rosolian Isiles are two women, so it is funny that she's just like saying that to this man who's searching for her for flashing a flashlight in her face, because it's rollin'son Hall set at this point, and uh, they show a picture of Teddy to her, this funny lady, and she's like, no, he's cute. If you find him, let me know. And then Finn and Tomorrow are out looking as well, and they're showing a John. They're showing a John the picture and he clearly like has someone in the car, and he goes, sorry, not I type, and then Finn.
Speaker 3: Goes, zip it up, buddy. They just move on.
Speaker 1: I love how when they're like we're not with Dea or we don't care if you have drugs, they really mean it. They do not care that you're literally getting solicited right now. They're just like, we're looking for this one guy I on the prize. It's all soake, it's all fake.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then Amaro goes up to this woman in a car and goes she hops out, and she goes, oh, that's little Teddy. I haven't seen him in a while, but he parties really hard. So back to Hal said, and Rawlins at the piers and they roll up on a couple of guys who are kind of like maybe canoodling.
Speaker 3: Who know, they might just be friends. Who knows.
Speaker 1: One is in a mesh tank top, the other one's in a leather jacket. They tell leather jackets to scram. Mesh tank top turns around, he looks a little fucked up. He's offering to party with Rollins, and Hall said, being like, you know, guys want to do a threesome?
Speaker 3: I can be the bread.
Speaker 1: I can be the meat or the spread like he's really he seems Andra and he this is little Teddy.
Speaker 3: And I guess.
Speaker 1: Because I don't know how they clocked this guy at all. He looks nothing like the photo recognition or the young kid photos. He has a full beard now, which also changes someone's look, but they clock him, They're like, this is Teddy. He is played by lou Taylor Pucci, who works a lot.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: He broke out in the movie Thumbsucker, which I've never seen, and Casey's nodding because he's our movie library.
Speaker 3: And he was recently in the show of Physical.
Speaker 1: He was like a regular I think on Physical and then he's in Daredevil Colon Born again.
Speaker 3: So well.
Speaker 2: He was in one episode of Girls and it says, but I don't remember it, so I might actually rewatch the episode tonight.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, because that.
Speaker 2: Guy is yeah, because I love Girls, and I really well.
Speaker 3: He also looks so.
Speaker 2: Different from this bearded character like his IMDb photo. He's a young fresh face.
Speaker 1: Google him, and every picture of him looks different like pictures of him when he was in Thumbsto.
Speaker 3: Looks so different.
Speaker 1: I mean like obviously everybody grows up, but he looks very different in all his photos, and the way he looks now is like also very like sort of like chisel, blondie surfer boy kind of. But h he's got a good chameleon quality to him. That's good for an actor to have. So they bring Teddy into the precinct and he and Lindsay see each other for the first time, and they stare at each other and she goes, hey, Teddy, and he goes, I'm not Teddy anymore. Fade to commercial drama. So now he's sitting in the bullpen and he like scoffs at Lindsay. He's like, they let you be a cop? Does she know what you were before? And then Olivia tries to interject and he goes, I wasn't talking to you, Mama bear, and I'm he must be high to talk to Olivia Benson like this, like you gotta be on something to think that you're just gonna And I will say, this is like the hair air off for Olivia Benson that I think makes her look a lot older. I don't think this hair is really doing her any favors at the time, and I feel as though right after this she gets into a much better place where it's longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just my personal opinion.
Speaker 2: Also, I bet he's just not scared of her because he's been being abused for decades too.
Speaker 1: Of course, so I think when you're high, you're just like, I'm going to call this police sergeant, fucking mama bear and just do whatever I want, you know, I think, of course, but he'd I don't think this guy is used to He's not used to receiving any respect, and so I bet he's not giving any respect to anyone either, you know. So yeah, so you know, once in a while, Lindsay tries to get through to him and says, I really do want to help you, and he's like, okay, where were you when I was thirteen?
Speaker 3: Where was our alleged mother?
Speaker 1: And she's like, I don't know, I'm sorry, Like she didn't take care of me either, and he's like, yeah, well Voight took care of you. And then he goes, if you want to help me, give me the one hundred dollars you just cost me and let me go back with my friends.
Speaker 3: And Benson's like, well it's not.
Speaker 1: Happening, babe, because we have you on possession and solicitation and he refuses to talk to Lindsay or any of them, and this is this is tough. So in the next room, haul said is filling in Tomorrow and Rollins like, this has to be so tough for her bad childhood and now her brother like and he's like, she's the toughest cop I know. But he says it in a way that's like, I'm so in love with her, it's hurting me physically.
Speaker 3: And Rollin's and Tomorrow are.
Speaker 1: Immediately like, wo boy, okay, and he goes, no, no, it's not like that.
Speaker 3: We just work together.
Speaker 1: And Tomorrow goes, we get it, and Rollins goes totally. And I think that's funny cause these two are somewhere in there. Season fifteen is when he's in her apartment getting in the shower, so we know they've fucked him season fifteen. But there's in season sixteen where we are right now there's a nebulous portion of whether Amorrow and Rollins are fucking because when she announces her pregnancy at the beginning of season seventeen, which we obviously know is declan Murphy's everybody people kind of think it's tomorrow's so they could be fucking in this episode for.
Speaker 3: All we know, Like we're just not that. It's just not touch in this episode.
Speaker 1: So in Holding Now, liv brings Teddy a blanket and she's like, listen, I want to get you out of here, but like I do need your help, and she's trying to get him to open up. She's telling him, listen, like the people that hurt you are hurting other kids. She shows him a picture of Henry, like you got to help me help this boy, like, and Teddy's like it's too late, and she's like, it's not too late. We talked to Joscelyn and she's doing great. And the mention of Joscelyn kind of like shakes him a little bit and he just goes, thanks for the blanket, and then he just cold shoulders her like he's not talking to her. And then, because I think you think Benson thought that was her ace in the hole that she was going to say Joscelyn, Who's going to be like what?
Speaker 3: But it didn't work.
Speaker 1: So now her and Lindsay are strategizing how to get him to open up, like maybe he can fide it in their mom and Lindsay's like, if he did, she wouldn't remember, and then Rollins goes, well, we talked to Joscelyn and she might know more, like and so they go speak to her and she tells them that when Teddy was thirteen, he was the victim of a sex trafficking ring, and Jocelyn is like so shaken. She goes, he was the victim, and then she gathers all her shit up and rushes off, and Rollins is, like, she got arrested at fourteen for hooking, so this is probably how she got turned out, Like she was probably part of this ring too, Like we're all it's all assume that anybody could have been part of this ring and that's how they knew each other. So they go to special Agent O'Connell who ran Joscelyn's pick through their database, and he said he hit a jackpot of bad like she was horribly abused by this chess and checkers club as well. They see video of Teddy on tape about to sexually assault Jocelyn, though it's clear he's like being forced or he's just so traumatized, like you know, but he's at this point in the video he's an adult and she's fourteen, but they recognize him by the tattoo on the back of his neck. And now Benson is confronting Teddy about this, shows him the pictures of the video where his star tattoo is like very obvious. He says, just another day at the office, like very flippant, and they're like, honey, that's a child, so that's rape and it could mean twenty years in jail for you. And he's like laying into Lindsay like some big sister you are, like you ignored me for years and now you just want to put me in jail. And he's like, nobody made me do this, and Benson goes, yeah, but we know it wasn't your choice, Like they drugged you, they broke you, they twisted you. And Lindsay's like, this isn't you, Like you were the sweetest boy.
Speaker 3: You could never hurt anyone. And he's like, but I did.
Speaker 1: I had to and they're like, but they forced you, and he goes, no, it was my idea because I knew who they would send in to do that to her. If it wasn't me, they would send in someone older, someone rougher, and she wasn't ready for that.
Speaker 3: We were friends. Like I literally just got like goosebumps. It's like so awful.
Speaker 1: It's like so awful that he did commit a crime, but he knew that he was honestly mitigating the attack on her that could have been so much worse. So he eventually went out on his own and got away from this club and he was arrested a year later, and that's when he saw Jocelyn at the center. He didn't know what to say to her, and they're like, help us stop these people, and he's pissed.
Speaker 3: He's like, what do you want? I was a kid. I didn't know where I was. I didn't know anyone's name.
Speaker 1: I was in a dark room on a lousy mattress, eating corn chips. And then he says, when I wasn't you know, and they it gets cut off, but he's like, basically.
Speaker 3: When he wasn't being horribly abused.
Speaker 1: So he says, it happened in a bunch of crappy places, different men coming and going, and he said, but there was one guy that everyone was scared of. He was never come, never on camera, but he says he would just come in at night and do me in the dark sometimes. And he was just a white, average middle aged guy. But everybody was scared of this dude. And the first time he said that he went to the youth center, he hated it. And then there was a guy there who said, I know a place where you could get out, make some money and have your own room. And they're like, what guy, uh oh, remember the Remember George the security guard. Cut to the lady from the center who we talked to before going. George, our security guard. He's been with us for years. He loves the kids. He talks to them, and it's like, what the fuck. They're like, one kid, what about this one kid, Henry. They're like, George said he ran away a week ago. Like at this point, have we even made the connection that Henry was at the center, Like they didn't even show Henry's picture to this woman the first time, so fuck, this is so dark. They show the picture to the woman and she goes, yep, that's Henry. Like they don't even know we could be looking for this kid's parents. We haven't even idd this kid besides knowing that his name is Henry. And this woman fully we talked to her already days ago. Where's George now? They peep George on the security camera, grabbing his jacket and making a run for it. You know, the cops are there and he's out okay, and they chase him down the street and Aaron Lindsay.
Speaker 3: Gets hit by a bicyclist.
Speaker 1: Like she just gets fully put down on the ground by a cyclist. I mean, yeah, bikes are going fast, they're heavy, like they're coming at you. She gets knocked over, and this stupid security fuck thinks he's gonna take down Benson.
Speaker 3: He like lunges at her. She grabs his arm.
Speaker 1: Turns him around and flips his whole ass to the ground. And you know, Marisia Cargata was like, I'm doing this stunt myself, and I want the camera on my face.
Speaker 3: Because you can see her all the time she's.
Speaker 1: Doing it, Like I don't want there to be any like fucking question that it was me and not a stunt double who did this.
Speaker 3: So they get this guy. Lindsey stands up and they're like, are you okay?
Speaker 1: And she touches the back of her head and she pulls her hand out and she's got a ton of blood on her hand, so she faints I don't know if she can't see blood or she's just losing a lot of it, but she faints.
Speaker 3: So now we're in the hospital.
Speaker 1: RFK Junior is at her bedside like okay or whatever, and she's.
Speaker 3: Like, well, you came all this way for nothing. I'm fine.
Speaker 1: I'm going back to SBU And he's like, you have a concussion. You're going back to Chicago and she's like, what about Teddy? And boy goes, you did your part. I should have looked out for Teddy. So now it feels like Void is tapping in, Like he goes to meet Olivia and this is their first time meeting in person. I think we've seen these two talk on the phone with each other, we have obviously earlier in this episode, but they haven't met before. So this is them meeting and she updates him as they're watching a live stream of Henry getting abused again. And Henry his name is Henry Thorny's twelve. This pedophile ring has had him for a week. So as they're watching it, we hear the purp off camera go club members requests for genre activities starting now, credit card or bitcoin. Tonight is going to be a good one. He's like casually promoting it like it's a comedy show.
Speaker 3: He's like, don't.
Speaker 1: Forget, like you know, first drink is free, like, and he is teasing this show that's happening in I think like three hours. So now it starts a countdown clock, which they love to do on these shows to heighten the state. I love to watch. Yeah, I like a countdown. I love when they're like, we've only got two more hours. Maybe I would like the pit in twenty four. I from so into count The pit is good. The pit is good. Twenty four I'm not as interested in, but the pit is good. And people that are doctors in er say that it's the closest to a real life experience. Okay, you know, it's like it's some of it.
Speaker 3: Watch Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm into these count I'm like thinking about countdown things.
Speaker 3: I can watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I also was thinking, like how much money could you make as a child? You would travel like that, you would do that, that your morals would go so out. And then I started thinking about ice, and then I was thinking, like some people want to do that. It's not even like, oh, I'll do it for the money. And I know it's bad. Like I think they're like, hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think, well when we find out who does this, yeah, there's some stuff but to say, but like, yes, I do think some people are in it for like the love of the game, unfortunately, and then some people are like and they're like, well, I might as well make money because other people want this service that I can provide and that can only protect me more because money and buys power, which protects you more.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So this guy is, you know, telling everybody get your requests in.
Speaker 3: It's maybe five hours.
Speaker 1: You've got a few hours before the show tonight that they have to wear. And Henry looks traumatized, and they're bringing Georgie in for questioning. So now George's and cement room bars with rollins, and tomorrow they show him what's going on with Henry. They show him like on the iPad and uh, He's like.
Speaker 3: What do you want me to do?
Speaker 1: These kids run away and like these two are trying like a nice guy act on him. They're like, come on, you're a family man, you're a good guy, and he goes, yeah, I am. And I actually recognize the guy playing George, and I knew I recognized him. His name is Danny Mastro Georgio and he's been on all three Law and Orders, but he's.
Speaker 3: Been on he's been in two svus.
Speaker 1: One is uh Ballad of Dwight and he Rena okay, where he is the lawyer. Remember how Ricky has like a really shitty lawyer that keeps being like, be quiet, sweetheart. That's this guy, George. God, yeah, this is Danny Mastro Georgio. And then he's in the Home Invasions episode as well, but I don't know, I don't remember what character, but he's the attorney Tommy Calabrese in the episode of Ballad of dreydon Arena.
Speaker 3: So anyway, George is denied, deny, deny.
Speaker 1: Void and Benson are watching and Voight is like making digs about like how light and nice the detectives are being.
Speaker 3: He's like, why don't you Why don't you take him to dinner? Why don't you dance with him?
Speaker 1: And Finn calls live with an update. A kid at the center saw Henry get into a gray SUV the day he disappeared with New York plates. I don't know how I mean that helps a little bit, but you know, there's probably a million of those in New York. She's like, check traffic cams. Voight decides to go into the room and help out.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the reciprocity is with police departments going across state lines, especially city police departments, like being like, Oh, I'm just a Chicago police I'm just going to go into this interrogation room and do what I want, Like, I don't think that's like a thing. But he goes in with big stabler energy, like I'm from Chicago.
Speaker 3: We do things a little differently there, and.
Speaker 1: He starts pushing the guy around, slams them against a wall on a table. Benson has to go in and do a whole Kragan style my office now. Then in the office, he's like, what are people doing rationalize project minimize? I read your handbook. It's bullshit, and Benson goes, it works, and he goes, so does terrorizing people when it's called for. So this guy's got a real anger problem. And she goes, I get it. I had a partner who used to work like that, and sometimes it worked and other times it led to false confessions and overturned convictions. And he says, what happens in the box stays in the box.
Speaker 3: It's like, this isn't Guantanamo.
Speaker 1: And he's like, maybe in Chicago, and she goes, maybe in Chicago, but you're in New York City now, And reminder, you're here as a courtesy, so if you pull that crap again, I'll arrest you. Meanwhile, the live stream is like a karaoke DJ, just being like, get your requests in now, three hours till showtime.
Speaker 3: It's just like on in the background.
Speaker 2: Well, I wanted to say not to bring up lad Bible again, but I watched an interview with the guy from the CIA that was the whistleblower on torture being used, and he served a little over two years in prison. But he's the one that blew the lid off, and so I need to secrets.
Speaker 1: Don't get why you have to get prison time for exposing people doing bad things.
Speaker 2: Well, because it's being a trader to your government. But they were doing something bad. Yeah, but the government knew.
Speaker 1: You're a trader to your You're a trader to your government if you go help Russia, not if you say, hey, our guys are doing bad shit.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not on the side of this, Yeah, happened. If I want him.
Speaker 1: Free, I know you're not anti whistle blowing. I watched he had two parts. I watched both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he was talking about cool things of how you do stuff, and he had an opportunity to kill someone but save them that day. I mean, he's he's already spilled the secrets.
Speaker 3: He could do whatever. So it was interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean with men, is that I am more suspicious of them lying and over exaggerating. Yeah, but I trusted him because he went to prison, okay, and he said Russia is really good at sleeper cells, that there it's real, and that they're we watched the Americans.
Speaker 3: Man, come on, not that that's like a documentary.
Speaker 2: But no, but yeah, but he said it is a thing because he was answering questions and so there was you know that people like us would want to know.
Speaker 3: That was cool. Do I remember his name? No?
Speaker 1: But no. So anyway, Voight goes, if you got a better idea to make progress, I'm all ears and show him.
Speaker 3: Live, show him. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now the last scene, it was three hours still showtime. Now it's two hours still showtime, and no one can trace the feed. The youth Center's looking for Henry's parents, and Finn's like why so they can see this, like why are you finding the parents live in void in cement room bars showing the live stream to George and they're telling him, you know you're gonna get in trouble for selling this kid, and he's like denying, denying, and Benson threatens to leave Georgian there with Voight and he goes, no, no, no, no, no any caves and they said. He goes, look, they said they needed young actors and they're like, you're that stupid, and he goes, I make twelve dollars an hour.
Speaker 3: I have a kid in college, and they gave me one thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: When I send them someone, it is like sad how It's like he makes twelve bucks an hour. He's got a kid in college. You know he's desperate, but he's selling children. And Live tries to guilt him to be like, so your kid goes to college, but the boy you sold she can't even finish. Voight just slams his hand on the table and is like commanding George to talk more. He goes, look, I get a call once in a while. I don't know the guy's name. I get he brings the money. When the kid gets picked up, that's it. I don't know where he takes them. He goes, we need more, and so George racks his brain and he goes, oh, he was mad. I was late the other day and he said he'd have to beat traffic home and pay a double toll twenty two point fifty.
Speaker 3: He took it out of my money.
Speaker 1: George is madd he lost twenty two to fifty and his deal handing children over to a sex ring psycho. So they're bringing Teddy down to ask him more questions.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Voight is like, so I can't beat this guy up, but you could threaten that I'm going to beat this guy up. And she goes, well, I'm using the cards that i'm dealt, you know. She's like, as long as I don't lift her finger, i'm good, you know, And I think it's sexually smart, so smart play. She knows she's got this guy on a leash, but why not say, you know, my dog could still bite you. So Voight says hello to Teddy, apologizes to not for not keeping an eye on him, and he goes, I'm not as pretty as Aaron and He's like, I didn't know you were going to disappear, and he goes, well, presto, I'm here, and Live breaks this up.
Speaker 3: They need Teddy's help.
Speaker 1: Anything in this room where Henry is being held, does any of it look familiar? And he's like, no, I left that life a while ago and I don't recognize anything. And they were like, maybe we should take another run at Jocelyn. She's younger, she was in the ring more recently, maybe she'll recognize some of this stuff. But Rollins is like, she was pretty uncooperative and traumatized and did not want to talk to us, like she will not come in here, and Voyd goes ar wrestler, Yeah, just arrestor and obviously not an SVU guy, and they go we don't have anything on her, and he goes good point, and then he says to Live, how good are you at undercover? I don't know how he came up with this idea. It's like so weird. But Amara and Rollins approached Jocelyn studying in a coffee shop. She does not want to talk to them, and they're like, well tell that to them, and then they point over their shoulder to Live and Void who are posing as mister and missus Thorn, Henry's parents. They're just sitting there distraught, looking like two people missing their child. They sit with her and they give her the whole You're our last hopeful song and Dance Live. Is crying, she's begging. Voight shows her a picture of Henry. Joscelyn looks stressed, but I guess it works out because the next thing we see is Jocelyn and the precinct and they bring her in to say hi to Teddy, which is crazy. Why would you make a victim look at their perpetrator. I don't understand. I don't care that he was like her friend and trying to do the best thing for her, Like I understand that putting them in a room together is so nuts. And Jocelyn is obviously upset, and Teddy apologizes and she's like, it doesn't matter. I wasn't even in my body. My mind was floating on the ceiling. I don't remember anything, and he goes, well, I do.
Speaker 3: We talked.
Speaker 1: I used to call you mouse. I gave you one of my twinkies, and she goes, you gave me both of your twinkies. And it's like they she goes, I thought we were friends. Why did you do that to me? And he goes, it was better if it was me and not somebody else. And Rollins asked Jocelyn to take a look at the stream of Henry to see if the room looks familiar. That room, she says, I was there. It's a room from after Teddy left. But I know we drove across a long bridge to get to it. I was blindfolded by her. Remember tires on metal. So Tomorrow is like Stabler with the Catholic schools. He knows all the bridges, and he knows how much all their tolls cost. So they figure out very quickly that this bridge must be the Staten Island, which I think is the Verizono. But like that, it's the bridge to Staten Island, so Jocelyn says, and the voice that guy's name is Bob.
Speaker 2: No, isn't Verazano the green Point one? Or No, what's the green Point one? Doesn't it have a funny name? That one is called the the Peter?
Speaker 3: Is it Peter?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Verrazano goes from Brooklyn to Staten Island. But what's the one I'm thinking of in green Point? Yeah, Pulaski. Is it not Pulaski, Yeah, Pulaski, Pulaski. Yeah, because that's like we would sometimes walk like from the Creek into Manhattan over the Pulaski.
Speaker 2: I feel like, oh no, I thought it goes to Williams. There's one that goes from work or from.
Speaker 1: Greenbrook to the Creek or something. I think, yeah, back to like comics houses, you know. So anyway, we're figuring it all out. Satn Island Bridge. Jocelyn identified the shock.
Speaker 3: It's Bridge Stock.
Speaker 1: Jocelyn says. The voice in the live stream is Bob. And Teddy gets upset and Jocelyn is like, you know this guy, he's the one who chained me down for you. And this whole time they're just like all listening to Henry's scream and begged to be let go, like this is awful. Like the poor kid that had to play this part. He just had to scream let me go, please, I don't want to I want I want to go home, like all like over and over, and Rollins is like, is this the guy everyone's scared of? And Teddy's like, no, not Bob. Bob was just a pig. He'd make me get his Chinese food by the end, and they're like, oh, do you remember the last name on the orders and he goes, oh, he's like the name of a president and they're like, oh, like Bush or Reagan. He goes the one with the trumpet and they're like the saxophone Clinton And I'm like, wow, that for Bill Clinton to now be referenced in a pedophile ring episode of s View is just very has aged. It's a reference that has definitely aged.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: I also saw this one post where you know, this woman was like ever like when right wing people are like what about Bill Clinton?
Speaker 3: And she's like, I was in third grade. I did not vote for Bill Clinton. Clinton. The thought that you think I have.
Speaker 2: This like roman like love for Bill Clinton. I was a child, But I do remember liking because I like the cat. I like socks the cat. Yeah, I really remember the cat. I had a magnet. I had a sox magnet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like watching an old SNL recently and it was like I forgot that they just made fun of Bill Clinton for being fat.
Speaker 3: Every single fucking week.
Speaker 1: They would just literally have him jogging and eating burgers while he was jogging, and shit, like they just were constantly like I mean before the Lewinsky stuff, I guess, and then that you know, probably took over.
Speaker 3: Uh, but so now they're looking for Bob Clinton.
Speaker 2: Wait do you know that lin Sarah Paulson who played Linda Tripp, and that thing was on Monica Lewinsky's podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and they.
Speaker 2: Talk about like Monica Lewinsky's like, oh, that scene where we were out to lunch, like I didn't realize everyone was an agent, like a secret, like I was all a setup, like and she just thought she was going to lunch with her friend and she's just talking and then she can't she has to be a little more diplomatic. But Sarah Paulson got to keep talking shit about Linda Trip.
Speaker 3: But it was cool. Yeah, Oh I got to listen to that.
Speaker 1: I actually feel like I would like Monica Lewinsky's podcast because I really like everything she tweets.
Speaker 3: And I think she's really smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but not that I'm on Twitter anymore, But when I was, I followed her, and I think she's she's cool because a lot of women in what Monica Lewins you went through would have like faded into the background and gone into hiding.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm like octomom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like just become like totally and she has like really made a cool career for herself and is a smart, accomplished woman. And it's just she's just like very confident and I like like.
Speaker 3: She was twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, like a kid and the butt of the nation's jokes, like anyway back to that.
Speaker 2: But it does it's not even that crazy because you they just wanted Tony. You know, there's people now, they're like kids, kids can consent. If the kids want to vote, they should be able to you know.
Speaker 3: Like people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, crazy but yeah, because I feel yeah, people take seen year old is okay, Yeah, take your your friend's just dressed and hand it over. But yeah, Linda thought she that's the thing when you serve the patriarchy, you know.
Speaker 3: Ever win. She thought she was like doing something cool.
Speaker 1: Oh, Linda Tripp ultimate pick me a government picked me the worst. Yeah, oh my god. So they are looking now for Bob Clinton in Staten Island with a gray SUV. So Halston and Rowlands are watching the stream and suddenly Rollins goes, I have something and we don't know what it is. But she suddenly directs them to this very specific place in Eltingville. And as they're watching the stream and a guy is like about to assault Henry, the cops bust in. Void screams, freeze, get your hands up. They've got the guy down on the ground. Two more guys run Tomorrow and Finn grab them outside. Henry looks terrified, but Benson's there to help him, thank god, and he's like, he just wants to go home, and like he's gonna get to you know, he's gonna I mean, he's gonna be traumatized. But he got out before the big fucking whatever show was about to happen any minute. So now and the final act of the episode, in the precinct, they're delivering these guys. Bob and these two other guys are tech support. They don't know anything. I'm like, you're helping do this stream. You don't know a single thing that's happening. They don't show you what's happening. You don't see any of the video. They know enough they should go to jail. They were crying in the car. They have nothing to offer, or they like they would have offered it up if they did for a deal, you know, So they're bad guys, but they're not like running the actual they're not you know, but they're helping with the tech.
Speaker 3: So bad.
Speaker 1: But Rollins comes in and shows them the bad news. The site is up and running and it's got a tune in card up with a little girl's picture on it. So they didn't get the head of the snake and the head of the snake is still operating from who knows where. They need to find the guy. Everyone is this guy that everyone is afraid of, and they need this guy Bob to give him up. So now we're in with Bob and he's trying to act like the kid came with him voluntarily, nothing happened. This is all of the up and up. It's like wild how they try to act like voluntarily, you were about to rape a kid on camera, Like what do you think the cops are going to go?
Speaker 3: Oh, we didn't realize that we're going to go.
Speaker 1: So they're like, you know, tell us who the boss is and he goes, you don't know, get a da down here. I know things people you'll never find without my help, and I want full immunity or I walk, and Benson goes, we'll think about it. Meanwhile, I'll send you to the tombs and let you think about your options. People get a lot of clarity there. So Tomorrow reports that Henry's parents have been found. Jocelyn went back to school and doesn't want to see any of these cops ever again in her life. Teddy is sleeping and Benson's like, well wake him up. We got to see if he can id Clinton. So then Hall said is heading back to Chicago, and voices like, I'm going to stick around and see if I can help you. Guys turn Clinton and the DA is going to be there in an hour. They'll review options, and voices like I want to crack it him first, and I don't think you're going to get that. And then Benson gets a phone call that was the tombs. Someone beat you to it. In the tombs, we see Bob Clinton dead on the shower floor in a pool of blood, and Rollins is like, this is what you call protective custody, and the guy there is like the CEO stepped away for two minutes and when he came back, Clinton was shimmed in the neck. The guy who did it is named Lester Davis. We need to see his call logs. And visitors' logs. Guess what, he only got one call that morning from a throwaway cell phone that was sold in Chicago. So then Voight gets a call. It's Lindsay with bad news. Andrew Llewellyn, who, if you'll remember, is the guy where they found the original photos in the Chicago fire episode of all these awful photos. He and the cop that was guarding him were just shot to death twenty minutes ago. Everyone is stunned, and you know, this is the point in the show where usually somebody goes, they're cleaning house, right, like they're just killing everybody that's alive that's been part of this. Everyone's done, and Benson goes, you know, that's snakehead. You were talking about the head of the snake that's in Chicago. And Voight tells Lindsay, I'm coming home, and that's Dick Wolf.
Speaker 3: So I watched the whole episode.
Speaker 1: I'm not giving you a full recap on the episode because this is not a Chicago Pea podcast, but if you want to watch how this ends up, it's a pretty good episode. It's season two, episode seven. You'll have to go through me of Chicago pe d Rollin's and tomorrow get to go on a little lover's retreat to the Windy City, baby, And Chicago PD is really taking this personally because one of their own cops was killed, Like they're really upset, Like everyone is like, you find this guy, I'll dig the ditch myself, Like everyone's.
Speaker 3: Fucking really upset that this cop has been killed.
Speaker 1: So and he was like long on the job, had kids, you know, all the reasons why you're sad somebody dies. And then at one point they're trying to get some information out of her nurse and she won't talk to them, and Tomorrow does his whole like thendes too.
Speaker 3: Like he goes, where are you from?
Speaker 1: And then he goes, uh, Kubano poodle baby like like she fucking that.
Speaker 3: Like we're like, yeah, it's funny that that works so easily. Everything.
Speaker 1: He is really hot and just was speaking Spanish to her and she's Cuban and he's Cuban and she's like sliding out of her scrubs.
Speaker 3: And she's like, I'll tell you anything you want, okay.
Speaker 2: So he is one of our guests. I mean it's one of two guests that have cried on the pod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both hot I think both of our guests that have cried are hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Casey, you see, do you not remember the other one or you don't remember that Bobby Burke Robert John Burke teared up.
Speaker 3: Tucker, Yeah, I think he's hot. Okay. He is so shocked by the people that we think are hot.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 1: But but Amorrow, No, But every time I say a person, I feel, you're like this guy, Danny Pino is like hot, hot hot. I don't like Tomorrow as a guy, but yeah, like Amorrow is like, you know, he's in a museum of hotness.
Speaker 3: Uh, Robin's and Tomorrow are there. Okay. So they get this woman the info from the nurse whatever.
Speaker 1: They basically start to track this whole ring, and they get them to they get to these two foster kids, and Aaron actually finds out through this research that Teddy was in the system. She didn't even know that he was a foster kid because she just was like, I was told he went to go live with his dad, Like, I didn't know where he was.
Speaker 3: I was like a teen, you know.
Speaker 1: So they find eventually pretty quickly in the episode the little girl that they're looking for these two foster kids that are missing, and they find the little girl and her and Sophia Bush have sort of like a Beck and l Fanning kind of relationship, you know, but the little boy, Chris is still missing. Eventually, Benson comes to Chicago. She comes to Chicago with this tiny, little leather Duffel bag. I'm like, where's all your fabulous outerwear gonna fit you're in Chicago, Like that is not a big enough bag. But Teddy comes out to Chicago too. I mean, the whole gang is out in Chicago. And when they're at the precinct reviewing field trips, I'm like, there's somewhere else. When they get to travel, like even when they get to go to like Florida, they're like in like a shithole. And I'm like, this is so fun. You think Benson's he is cool across I do get excited.
Speaker 3: I get excited. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Teddy's in the precinct in Chicago and he suddenly like locks eyes on something and and is pointing at like probably their suspect board. And he basically Id's this guy named Van Camp who works at DCFS and uses his position there to procure kids for this ring.
Speaker 3: And he is the leader of this ring.
Speaker 1: But he's just this schlubby, old white guy like was described by Teddy originally.
Speaker 3: And if he's making a lot of money on this ring, he's not using.
Speaker 1: It on his clothes. He does lot he's got like he's balding. He just looks like a So this is the kind of guy. To me, It's like, you're still maintaining your job at DCFS and like, I know that's how you get Like to me, you've probably made enough money at this point and you can procure people through other means that you could stop. But you I think this guy likes to be in this position at DCFS where he can has access to all these kids. You know, we were talking about who does this and why, Like I don't you know he's a pedophile, But he's also like I think the money part for him is probably just for protection because I don't think he cares about having wealth. He cares about being able to molest as many kids as he can. So Benson has to once again ask Voight not to beat the shit out of this guy to find out where little Chris is.
Speaker 2: So, so did you talk about like when Teddy points to it slowly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he points to it in his eyes wide and he walks towards it and that's really Yeah, it's Screa. And that's when we find out that it's this guy Van Camp and he won't talk to Voight, and then Benson tries takes a shot at him, and she obviously has her ways and she gets him to say where Chris is and uh, he gives up the location.
Speaker 3: And kills it.
Speaker 2: One of her best speeches. So have one of our best speeches in Chicago p D. Yeah, it's tough, but it's a good one.
Speaker 1: And it's crazy too that they're highlighting how you can actually get things done not being a violent psycho look way that Voight is, and they're doing it on his show, So why doesn't does that change that character anymore after? I wonder, you know, if he starts to do things in a different way because they're only in their second season.
Speaker 3: But the guy gets up the location of Chris.
Speaker 1: They find him obviously in like a horrible basement of like a burnt out house, per usual. There's a dramatic service for the cop who died. Teddy is going to stay with Lindsay and the mom in Chicago, and he's just like incredulous because he's like, I just never thought these guys would be caught. I just didn't think that. I just thought this was going to keep going forever. And the family's all crying and apologizing, and they seem to be like in a better place. And that's and that's Dick Wolf on Chicago p D Baby. So we find the guy and it's a fucking DCFS guy who's so scary that but how are you moving back and forth to New York City as like this DCFS guy anyway, I don't know. Somehow he's bouncing back and forth because that's where they had. Henry was in New York San Island. Maybe he's like maybe it's one of those things where he sets up like satellite things and like so Bob Clinton was doing his New York work and then other people's doing other work for him. But it's it's just discussed. It's shocked and disgusting that it's such a quote unquote normal seeming guy. It's not some like guy in a petting a white cat in like an evil layer.
Speaker 2: Well, I know marketing and pr because if we went down to the cold hard facts, we would be scared of those people more often, you know, it's like the their pr of being in control.
Speaker 3: Of everything, but like that is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like the fear that you know, the like the fear and stress of someone snatching your kid when it's like no, it's the people that were like trusting, Yeah, the people that are within the systems, within the places, and they're fucking sick. And I'll lead you on to the next six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the next.
Speaker 2: So this is a Norwich child sexual abuse ring. It's in the UK, it's right around the time of this episode. But I don't know if it's BBC laws or what. I probably went through like twenty articles and all of them had the same five facts over and over and over and over and over again, like the same exact language. I wonder if it was protected because these are these were children with sex gris.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know we've done other cases from there with more details, but truly every single article was the same five things.
Speaker 1: Over and over and over again, and they're just like not release Maybe the police are just not releasing things, yea, yeah.
Speaker 3: But that's what I mean. Yeah. So, but the BBC, of.
Speaker 2: Course, seemingly respectable people living ordinary lives let me look at them. But yeah, so we have. But that's like the core. We have to stop being surprised when it's regular people because it's always regular people, Like I don't know when, but it was, yes, yes, yeah, being surprised so annoying.
Speaker 3: Oh but.
Speaker 2: Also with the regular thing I wrote, I wrote breaking Bad, like it's Gus he's working at the chicken shop. Just seems like so much work to have the cover and this other full time criminal enterprise, Like these are clearly workaholics. But like I can't imagine like being a fake manager of a chicken restaurant and then doing a whole drug enterprise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't even remember.
Speaker 1: How Gus Fring enjoys his money because he doesn't have, right, Like he doesn't have like a bit. He can't have any of these big things like like at least with at least with Walter, you knew he was leaving that money to his wife and kids when he died of cancer. That was originally the conceit of the show. What's Gus doing.
Speaker 3: Is he's in it for the love of the game.
Speaker 1: I think he likes the power and the fucking running shit, right, Yeah, but he was also excellent at running a chicken franchise.
Speaker 3: How you do one thing is how you do everything. God, now I want chicken.
Speaker 2: So Actually, the chicken shop that I lived near, they gave me a magnet last week. And the girl that works their designs, she's always there. I hope it's a normal situation. I'm always like, girl, you gotta take a day off.
Speaker 3: She goes, I can't.
Speaker 2: She's her all day, all day in it. But she designed all these magnets since she gave me one, So I'm happy. It says Crispy on it. Ooh, with New York iconography and a chicken I'm obsessed with.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I don't know why did I bring in breaking bad, but I wrote it in the notes. It wasn't even like off the top of my head, like that's just what I thought about. But anyways, this this pedal ring was operating for ten years. This is what I'm calling I'm start I'm just gonna start calling.
Speaker 1: More people petos, yeah, pedophiles.
Speaker 2: Every time now online people are like, well, it's because I'm fighting online.
Speaker 3: It's humiliating.
Speaker 2: But people are like the like anyone that's talking about They basically say oh, thirteen year olds can't consent to sex, but they can, but they can change their gender. That's like what they would like to do. Like, that's what I don't know, So I just keep writing, Okay, pedophile, Okay, pal, that's just like, yeah, I'm gonna bring that more into any comment you make. I'm gonna be like, Okay, it seems like you're a pedophile. Gross, okay, pedo, We don't. We don't accuse people enough. We don't accuse people. We need to start throwing pedophile around loose, Yes, yeah, loose. See who gets nervous, See who gets defensive? This is your subway take. We need to start throwing pedophile around more. One hundred percent agree. Someone was saying that you could tell he hates doing it now there's like a suffering behind the eyes.
Speaker 3: But I'm just like, I really Chris.
Speaker 1: Fleming's whole bit about it. It's so funny. It's very funny. I love Chris Fleming. He's so cool.
Speaker 3: He really knew how to work that stage, that carnivor yeah stage.
Speaker 1: He looks like a seventies rock star or something when he's on.
Speaker 2: There's really funny. I'm relate, I'm late to the Chris Fleming game. Unfortunately I'm pretty late to him, but thrilled that he entered my life.
Speaker 1: He and I did stand up and clown together, the one where you can't talk, and one of the clowns, Natalie Palomides, is a clown king. I would say, makes fun of you. He roasts all of you. He told me I had Hillary Clinton energy for the whole audience.
Speaker 3: Did they laugh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny. He was like saying, I'm more successful than Jared and stuff. It was like, really, because we were on it together, it was really funny.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know that one. Wait, but why am I? Oh? Yeah, but I watch all the subway takes. It's like an enjoyable thing for me. I do all the polls. I like it.
Speaker 3: But I don't see a darkness in his eyes of sad because to me, I'm like, you have like a whull fit, like make your money. I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is a great gig. Do you see sadness? And the eyes let us know how many sadness. I don't see any sadness because you're wearing those glasses. I don't see anything.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why it's wearing Yeah, it's wearing the glasses to hide the.
Speaker 3: But it's better than it's better than another job. That's to me.
Speaker 2: I'm like, if you're sad doing subway takes, you're out of your mind.
Speaker 7: Come on.
Speaker 2: But anyways, I'd love to be on it pedal start calling people with pedophiles. The other react, We're gonna catch kill it. We're gonna catch them, We're gonna catch them all pokemon vibe. Okay, So the names are Marie Black, Michael Rogers, Jason Adams, and they were the leaders, but most of the press just kept being like, Mary Black, she's a woman, she's evil. Can you believe it's a woman, human trafficker, it's a woman. It's an evil woman. Can you believe a woman did it? So most of the presses about her, and she was a decade plus younger than them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, look at how Galaine is the only one serving time for these crimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the other one was murdered. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that happens with like all the cops too, Like all the cops that shoot in us and people. The people that get convicted are women. Yeah, and they should be everyone should be. They should all yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll be equally we should be equally shocked that anybody did this kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Whatever, So it's all about her.
Speaker 2: But then in court the defense was like, no, she's a poor woman, she's a victim, but she was at the center of it.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: But also the best part of her defense, they said she was too dumbed to have been able to set this up. Was the defense. They go, this, this dumb bitch. I've never heard of a two dumb defense. But they were like, there's no way she came up with this scheme. But so the children, like I said, all age under thirteen, two boys and three girls, So they were subjects of this abuse for ten years. So kind of reminds me of the Rosanna Arquette episode where it's like the family of children just being taken around and abused. It wasn't, but I guess they these kids grew up together to Teddy and the girl. So yeah, but it was the same two boys, three girls. They were raped passed around. One of the children said he was in the ring since he was two years old.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Detective Chief Inspector Peter Hornby said it was the most harrowing case he has ever dealt with in twenty three years of policing.
Speaker 3: That's to the BBC.
Speaker 2: And then the judge Nicholas Coleman had the same thoughts to the Guardian. He wrote, this case is the most harrowing. It has been my misfortune to try.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, they forced the children to perform sex X on each other and then adults like it was these parties, so adults would come and play card games and that would decide which person would abuse which child, and the abuse happened in front of adults other children.
Speaker 3: They would use children's.
Speaker 2: Toys so like Barbie dolls. That kept being said over and over, and they would transport them to parties to be abused. And then the allegations were reported to the cops in twenty ten, but in twenty twelve they finally got more evidence. So two more years of abuse these children had to like endure. So yeah, so then they finally had sufficient evidence to make initial arrests in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: But how were they not able to remove the children from the Where were they?
Speaker 2: I don't know, It's what I mean, like there was truly like this. It was every article was the same stuff like this is like that. The only thing I didn't write is like after they were convicted, she she went like they stitched us up, and I was like, I don't care about what you have to say, honestly. Yeah, but yeah, so arrest in twenty thirteen convictions. In July twenty fifteen, Adam was guilty on thirty One of the men was guilty on thirteen counts and he was forty four years of age, and then Rogers was fourteen counts. He was forty six years of age, and both those men got twenty four year sentences.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: Black the woman, she got twenty three counts because that's what the judge everyone kept saying, like you're not a victim. You're truly at the center of all of it, like even when other people aren't, you are, like you're always there. So she got twenty three counts, jailed for life. And yeah, the judge said she was the constant factor in the crimes. And she was thirty four years of age when this happened, so she started like molesting these children at twenty four.
Speaker 1: I just don't really get why though they aren't all just getting life, Like I don't think these men are going to be better people when they get out in twenty four years.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: But you know we've done cases from there like they'll they'll but here too, they'll like let people out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: The other six people on trial were cleared, so there were other people. They were cleared on all charges, and then one of the other people was cleared on most charges but found guilty on one and the jury deliberated for nineteen hours. And yeah, for such a like it seems devastating. A huge case, very little details found, and I hope it's just to protect the privacy of the victims. Yeah, and maybe if someone has more information, let me let me know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Oof, All right, well we know that this was a bummer of a crime, but we've got a great interview for you, so don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Our guest today, Wow, what a get.
Speaker 1: I mean, an iconic actor who you may know best as Brooke Davis on One Tree Hill or from the canon classic John Tucker Muss Die the Anti Men Cannon classic John Tucker Muss Die. She's currently a lead on Grey's Anatomy, but you know her best as Detective Aaron Lindsay from Chicago p D and this crossover episode of SVU, Please enjoy our conversation with the amazing Sophia Bush.
Speaker 2: I actually saw you on the streets two weeks ago outside of Carnegie Hall.
Speaker 3: Not to be a creep, but wait.
Speaker 7: Like in the middle of the day on a Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, you.
Speaker 7: Wan don't know why I know this because I've been around the corner at iHeart recording and I had a few hours to kill before seeing a friend's play, and I was like, I'm just gonna play like restaurant Roulette and pick a place on the map that's close to here and go kill some time and like answer emails while I have a late lunch and walking by Carnegie Hall, I saw Alex Edelman's poster and I was like, oh my god, I have to send this to him and tell him I'm walking by his face. And then I looked up and it wasn't you. It was like like a teenager who was like and I was like, hey, I was having my own fangirl moment. It was like so deeply awkward, and I was like, I do know him, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: No, I was like I was wondering Alex or Chris Fleming. I feel like both their because I did investigate after I saw you take the freight.
Speaker 3: So the teen where did the team know you from?
Speaker 2: Is it usually One Tree Hills?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean I think probably, but it's like there's a whole One Tree Hill faction. There's a whole like Dick Wolf World faction. Yeah, and then there's a whole.
Speaker 3: There's been a.
Speaker 7: Big resurgence, resurgence of John Tucker Must Die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's on streaming. I watched it this week.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I'm like, well, we love that.
Speaker 2: Well, I've watched it a lot, but it was fun to rewatch. Was that fun to do?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? We had the best time.
Speaker 7: Brittany and I were together like a month ago when I was in LA and we had like a whole weekend of work events together and we were just like can you believe, like we were babies.
Speaker 3: And it's so fun that people.
Speaker 7: Still love it because we really loved making it.
Speaker 1: Brittany's another SVU. I know, got a big app the Earlies.
Speaker 2: You know, what was your Dick Wolf Universe relationship before you started on PDS?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, so strong?
Speaker 7: You know, like any woman who was in high school in the nineties or in college in the early odds, Like I was a deep SVU die.
Speaker 3: Hard Yeah, and it was always like it was such a cool experience.
Speaker 7: Knowing that it was a show I loved and really just thinking the world of Marishka and then getting to go work on it not only for an episode, but to overlap for so many seasons and do so many crossovers. Like working with her and going to do the SVU crossovers was my favorite part of being in that whole gigantic universal.
Speaker 3: Oh cool as best.
Speaker 7: The way the way there set runs, and just the level of it's so interesting because you walk on a set like that and they've obviously been at it for so long and it is the It's very similar to working on grays.
Speaker 3: It is the top tier of.
Speaker 7: Gorgeous professionalism, efficiency, incredible dedication to the work after so many years. When you think like somebody here is going to be kind of jaded or ungrateful, nobody is. Yeah, and they're so frickin good at what they do that the amount of fun they have while doing it, like I've actually never been on a funnier set, And it's crazy to think that because the subject matter is so serious. It's also like probably how everyone deals with not being completely traumatized when they go home at the end of the day with those storylines. But it's like it's actually the most joyful and most professional place.
Speaker 3: They've just nailed it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and on like a superficial level, I would say your hair really matched Marishkas, like you guys went hair for hair and amazing hair in those episodes.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, thank you. Pretty huge tho.
Speaker 2: That's pretty huge, And I feel like you had the Marishka hair journey where you kind of had a different look every season.
Speaker 3: Bob oh totally. Well.
Speaker 7: I mean some of that is just like like when I did the Bob and I got in trouble you did, yeah, kind of Nobody really likes when you cut your hair on TV. But also like the amount of heat and then being out in the freezing weather in Chicago, Like, yeah, it's hard on your body. Nobody thinks about what it does to the women's hair, and like my hair would literally get heat damage and then it would freeze. So truly, like when I tell you my hair was just breaking off in chunks, like I hadn't even consider that. Yeah, I had to cut like a jaw length bob just to start over. There was a point where they tried to wig me and then that wasn't working. I mean it was the hair. I was like, total, it's a wreck in that in that way, but I also wound up changing my hair color on the show. This is like some of our lore I will never forget. We got there and Marina, my dear, my darling.
Speaker 3: Oh we just had her on a few Oh my god.
Speaker 7: Okay, So you know Marina plays Burgess and she's just the greatest. And the weekend after we started filming PD was her wedding and I walked you know, you're when you're doing your prep week, you're like in and out of training together. You're running around sometimes everyone's together doing table reads, and then everyone splits off and goes and meets with different departments. And I walked in for my my sit down with hair and makeup, and she was in the makeup trailer and they were pulling a blonde wig on her head. And I looked in the mirror and I could see her trying not to sob and I was like, what's going on? And they were like, well, you know, the two girls on the show. I mean, granted, you won't work together a ton because she was a you know, in the beginning of Beat Cop and I was a detective. But like, they think you guys look too much alike because you're both brunettes. And I was like, aren't all the boys on the show up? They're like, yeah, the boys have brown hair? Like are they getting tips? What's going on? And you know, we giggle obviously, but this is just the way TV is. You've heard the hair stories from one trail, I'm sure, and I was like, but we don't. And they were like, yeah, but we're going.
Speaker 3: To change her hair color.
Speaker 7: And I was like, but she's getting married on Friday, Like no, And I was like, why don't you guys just start to take me blonde? So we started lightening my hair.
Speaker 3: I noticed the highlights. I did notice.
Speaker 7: Wow, if you notice, like there's highlights in my hair in the first episode, and then it gets lighter and lighter because they wanted the girls to have different hair color. And I was like, you cannot make this woman dye her hair blonde four days, five days before her wedding.
Speaker 3: You just can't do that. Wow.
Speaker 1: It's just like no offense to like any of your co stars on these shows. But like the men all look a lot alike each other, Like they all not even just hair. It's like the haircut, the chisel jaw, like the where they're like they all look the same. And then it's like two women, they're like, why don't we just shave one bald? I cannot tell these two women apart, Like it makes no Well that would be me.
Speaker 7: I have like a terrible dent in the back of my head. So Natalie Portman has it perfectly shaped head. She can do the head shaved. Yeah, as we know from Viva Vendada. But if we had to do that, I think methinks it would not be me.
Speaker 1: But like just the way that the men can just all have the same face and they have to differentiate the woman is like so crazy.
Speaker 7: Well you know though that that comes from like some random network, right, like and and look at the end of the day, I think, especially when you work with great teams, it's like there's a reason Dick Wolf is one of the most prolific producers in television history. He knows exactly what's worth his focus. You know, he's a tremendous creative producer ally like he's a really good egg, and I think he's also smart enough to be like, okay, executive number four, Like you want to you want to earn your salary by sending in a note you want to change the hair color?
Speaker 3: Like whatever. Exactly, it's not really worth the fight.
Speaker 7: But could you imagine having like gorgeous, auburny brunette hair and then four days before your wedding being told like they're going to.
Speaker 1: Tear such a man or some friend for being like, I'll take the blonde for me.
Speaker 7: I volunteers tribute. I did Volunteers Tribute. But also it's not like, oh gee, how hard they had to change my hair color?
Speaker 1: I know, but you put your hair through a lot of stuff, you know, yeah, coloring.
Speaker 7: Granted later it was falling out because it was bleached and then heated and then frozen, and then I just cut it all off and started over.
Speaker 1: Is the show like is Chicago as outside as like SVU and Law.
Speaker 2: And Orders are It's been awesome. What's great about all of your Chase seams? So I grew up in the suburbs and I lived in the in Chicago, and oh I love that you guys get to be an alley's and in between buildings and apartments because in New York there are no alleys, like there are no there's no streets that even there's no little sidewalks in between the apartments. Everything is touching, and so I like all the alley that's like.
Speaker 7: I mean the technical side when you think about long shots step the field. Also, the feeling of fear created by not knowing what's around a corner is really I think it's why the city of Chicago in a way is a character in the universe of those shows, because it has such an incredible look and esthetic and vibe like it's a very cool place. Less cool when it's like thirty below and you're working outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're on like our twelve. But you figure it out because s TOVU is like rain or shine.
Speaker 2: No matter what they shoot, is that the Chicago pd vibe like you're in the side.
Speaker 7: That's how TV is, Like we used to have to shoot the the episodes of you know, totally different Universe, for example, but the episodes of One Tree Hill that would air for spring break, you know, that had to actually happen when schools in the us were on spring break.
Speaker 3: We'd have to shoot in February, so it.
Speaker 7: Would be like thirty five degrees and they'd be like, okay, kids, getting your bikinis and your board shorts and get in the ocean.
Speaker 3: And we were all like, okay.
Speaker 2: Wait, what hair drama on one tree hell? Because I'm actually not Yeah, I'd like to oh my god.
Speaker 7: We have so much hair lower e'pisode. Sorry to anyone who's listening to this who.
Speaker 3: Knows they're gonna lie.
Speaker 7: I wanted new information. Yeah, it was crazy. Nobody every girl had to have different hair color. We were never allowed to put our hair up, including doing sports like at cheer practice. We weren't allowed to wear ponytails. I got told off in the most insane, like expletive laced tirade by my boss, who was old enough to be my dad when I came back for season three and I had bangs that were growing out from a movie I'd done. And by the way, my bangs were so cute, really unmanageable because I have a terrible calic and it turns out like not great to cut bangs when you have a you know, a Kelly Slater sized wave on the front of your head, in your hairline. But it was so dramatic, and eventually I think we all just hit a point with our hairdressers where we were like, you're stupid. We're not going to listen to you anymore to our boss, and we did it and we just started doing stuff. But it was like there was a literal rule. And it came if you recall from you know, the sort of iconic coming of age shows that were right ahead of us, it came from Felicity.
Speaker 3: When Carrie Russell on Felicity haircut inside it. That's it.
Speaker 7: It coincided with a ratings drop and everyone blamed the hair and then women on those shows were not allowed to change their hair for like a decade plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my gosh, did you like your time in Chicago outside the weather stuff?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, listen, look the the weather's crazy and it's also like not that hard. For some reason, there was a moment where it got like made into some deal where it was like, or is everyone okay? You know it's crazy and it's like sad when half your crew gets pneumonia and stuff, but like, I don't know, it's like you said, the show must go on shining, Like we would shoot hurricane episodes of One Tree Hill, and we would always do those in the winter as well, so I don't know, we're used to it.
Speaker 3: In a way.
Speaker 7: I really loved getting to learn from our writers. I really loved getting to learn from Dick Wolf, and I really loved getting to be around the SVU world. You know, everything has built I think, out of that legacy, and there are just things they do so well there. It's it's pretty incredible to get to see inside of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I will never forget one episode we were doing. We're rehearsing.
Speaker 7: We're all standing around with our sides, figuring out how we're going to block the scene, and I like, look up and Kelly Giddish has had this great idea and Iced teas agreeing, and and Marishka's got a thought about the next page. And I'm just like watching them and I was like, what the fuck is my life? Like I've watched you guys on TV for so long, and I know I'm also on TV. But it's like a crazy experience when you've I'm wearing.
Speaker 3: My icedy sweatshirt.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's a crazy and then you're you're in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah cool.
Speaker 7: How did you guys get so obsessed? Like, obviously this podcast is huge. Obviously everyone in the world loves SVU. How did you come to do this.
Speaker 2: So we But I mean I just always watched it, Like you said, I don't even remember because Kara watched it week by week, new episode, new episode as like growing up.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: But I was just watching chunks USA Network USA Now We're marathons, you know, were really and it was Yeah, it was like just the only show where I could just watch episodes over and over again, and it always felt kind of like still fun to watch. Like I don't really I don't really repeat movies I've seen, I mean some, but like you know, I'm not like a real repeat or I don't reread books I've read.
Speaker 3: But SVU, for some reason, it's like so rewatchable. I know it really is, right.
Speaker 7: I have this visceral sense memory and I know that it was season two of One Tree Hill because I had moved and it's like right when I was in my new place and it must have been a Sunday, and I just remember I can see myself walking around my bedroom and then out and then back in doing loads of laundry and folding laundry and like all my sort.
Speaker 3: Of Sunday chores.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and there was an SVU marathon on all day on the TV in my bedroom and it's like, yeah, it just becomes part of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I learned a lot and I care about the subject matter. I think we both do. And then when we first met over a decade ago, we bonded and I told her about a Twitter account that would tweet anytime a Law and Order was on any channel in what episode, and like how to find it? And then yeah, it was called Donk Doink. And then years later Kara was like, I have an idea. Would you want to do this?
Speaker 3: And I went yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And what's cool is we deep dive on the crime and then recap, but then getting to talk to actors and people from the show. It's just really inspiring and cool and we learned. It's I'm glad she came up with the format because it could have just been a recap podcast, which and now we just get to learn a lot.
Speaker 3: We've learned a lot.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I think look, I mean recap podcasts are great.
Speaker 3: Oh, we love it.
Speaker 2: And sometimes when I'm like doing research at four am on a Monday.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh my god, this nightmare. But why didn't we just rewatch it? No?
Speaker 7: But I think to your point, because of what the subject is, you have the opportunity to not only really enjoy looking back at something, but you have the opportunity to learn and to teach, and to create space for conversation that is not necessarily typical but very necessary. And I think about it, especially when when you consider the historical arc of a show like this. These were not conversations anyone was willing to have. No one was talking about sexual violence, no one was talking about exploitation, no one was talking about human trafficking, like and this exists in the world around us all the time, everywhere, in any place, and it's so unbelievable when you think about what the show has done for our cultural understanding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we say they were ahead of their time, But then what's also sad is how relevant some of the old episodes still are.
Speaker 1: And that's what we'll do, Like a season one episode like, wow, this is still a pretty bad issue and it's been twenty five years or whatever.
Speaker 7: So I mean, I think about a crossover episode that we did, and it was in season two of PD, and it was a really hard crossover to shoot. But the whole thing moved around the exploitation of children and the trafficking of children and what happens when those children age out. And one of the children who aged out was my character's half brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an episode that we're attaching this interview too A great yeah, like so, and it's like, well.
Speaker 2: Teddy the guy who played Teddy, I mean that was a real perform I was going to say, I didn't feel to be in the room with.
Speaker 3: Who is that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And we'd known each other for so long. Wow, Like back in my early twenties, like I had the sweetest boyfriend at the time, who, like him and his wife are still homies.
Speaker 3: They lived like.
Speaker 7: Two doors down from my best friend, and we all used to like run around la at twenty four together. And then you know, cut to almost ten years later, we're working together on a show and we were like what the hell, Like this is the best and also, oh my god, this is so sad and awful.
Speaker 3: It's such a tough episode.
Speaker 1: I feel like, also though your character was really good at like coming in and giving us like because we've seen other child trafficking ring episodes. It's always awful, but it was like your character like kind of giving us this way in of like this can kind of happen to a lot of people who just sort of keep take their eye off of somebody for a little while, or lose touch with a family member, and like, look how far they can like sync into these you know, I don't I'm not trying to say subculture, but they could sink into this like life of crime and like tralla, these.
Speaker 7: Kind of underground syndicates, if you will. Yeah, and it's it's fair. It's got a centrifical force, right, somebody gets and it's incredibly hard to get out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it's what we're.
Speaker 7: Seeing as the plethora of Epstein documents is gone through and made public. You know, you see these things and you see the way power structures deny the realities that they know of and are participating in. And it's really it's kind of soul crushing to me that something we did so long ago is playing out on the world stage right now. And it's soul crushing to know how long it's played out on the world stage, whether it's had a spotlight or not.
Speaker 1: I was wondering you had, like such a sweet little relationship with that girl your character did with the girl in that episode who they find earlier, and it's like what we've seen Olivia Benson do many times obviously before, but I didn't know how often did your character on Chicago ped ever get to like sort of connect with like young victims like that. It felt like it was like your little Olivia Benson moment in that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was a special thing to get to do. You know, I think not as often for Aaron because we were just like straight intelligence, you know, we weren't a sex crimes unit, we were not as view. But those overlaps I think felt particularly personal for me. You know, I love being around kids in general, and especially making sure they feel safe on set, and that probably goes back to like growing up at summer camp and being a camp counselor and you know, doing all of those things that were really important to my own development and like my childhood. But for me, those episodes really always felt the most powerful special as an advocate, as someone who's shown up to try to in whatever way each individual person can in their life make certain circumstances better for other people, you know, offer voice, offer platform. Those those opportunities on screen were always the extra special ones for me because they they connected things that I care about so much as an individual that I get to bring that to a character and I get to kind of marry all of that emotion on screen, and it it's like a It's one of those things where it doesn't just feel like one plus one, you know, equals to It's like a one plus one is three all of a sudden, it's like a it's like a multiplier instead of just an just an additive part of the journey. And I still don't take any of that lately.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you've been a doctor and a defective.
Speaker 2: I have what.
Speaker 3: Do you prefer one?
Speaker 7: It's really interesting. I love both. I will say hospital shows are gorge because you get to be inside a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like about our case, Oh you're like ooh a nice warm hospital ward.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, there's nothing like you know, getting injured doing stunts on the ice and having to go to the hospital to get a cat scan and you're just like what is being like, Wow, the er is so warm and everyone is happy.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned the training that you it was it consist So you guys were consistently training probably, or did you learn a lot and then start out did that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I had.
Speaker 7: I had done you know, some stunt training and things for movies and things before. And you know, my dad grew up in Canada. Like I got my first gun for my twelfth birthday. So it's also really funny that people are like, oh, these liberals are trying to take our guns away. I'm like, no, I'm very pro gun control. Yeah, because I'm an expert gun owner. Are y'all good? So cool?
Speaker 3: I really want to learn how to shoot a gun? Oh yeah? Oh my god.
Speaker 7: When when Stephen COLLETTI came to work on One Tree Hill, he was like so nervous and scared and like I was going to be the first actor he had, you know, had a relationship with on screen. And I was like, I'm going to take you out to do like the browiest thing ever. And I took him to the shooting range to teach him how to shoot a gun, and he was just like, what is happening here? I was like, We're good, and you know I can make out on TV? Yeah, I mean and that's like one of the things we laugh about, like, you know, now he's hung out with my partner and he's like, yeah, in hindsight, that was so gay, and I'm just like, oh my god, I die for us and our wacky like you know, twenty years of being friends. But it's like, luckily I had enough proficiency in that space that I felt really comfortable that instead of feeling like I had a lot to learn in terms of the basics, it was like, oh, I know all the basics, like I know how to work, I.
Speaker 3: Know how to use all these weapons.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what's the specific training, Like what does it mean to bound through buildings and teams?
Speaker 3: What are what are the.
Speaker 7: You know, signals that you use? And how do you move silently when you can't necessarily see everyone?
Speaker 3: And like what you know?
Speaker 7: It just was so technical to train with SWAT and so fun. And it's like that's the thing, Like somebody recently, you know, brought me something that was in that world again, and I was like, ooh, it's definitely like it's not a no for me. If it's the right project, It's it's always going to be one of the things I love the most, just because I like the technicality and the physicality of it. And then my nerdy brain that is obsessed with science is like, you mean, my job could be to learn everything about a medical specialty that I possibly can, Like, okay, I love all of it.
Speaker 3: What was your doctor's specialty?
Speaker 7: Cardiothoracic surgery, which is crazy because I wanted to be a heart surgeon when I was a kid, and so it was this very full circle journey. And on Good Sam, I was a cardiothoracic surgeon, and on Grey's Anatomy, I play a trauma surgeon, so I get to do a little bit of everything and it's really really fun. And the first surgery that I did on Grays, I walked in and the medical tech was like, okay, here's how and like you know, I pick up the tools and we start doing stuff and he was like, oh my god, I forgot You've already done this the best day for me, like you know this stuff already and we were just cackling and we had so much fun, you know, putting together one of those iconic all the surgeons around the table, like my character Cass Beckman is standing looking at Richard Webber and again very much like playing Aaron Lindsay. Looking at Olivia Benson, I was like, what is my life? Like, I've watched you forever.
Speaker 3: It's so fun. Did you you wanted to do this since you were a kid. Yeah? No, no, okay.
Speaker 7: No, I wanted to be a doctor. I I had no sights on this. And then I had an arts requirement in school and I had to do a play and I thought I was really smart and figured out how to get out of it, and I left. There were four semesters of arts requirements for me at my middle in high school, and I was like, oh, well, I've nailed it because I'm just going to leave the play to the same semester that I'm on the volleyball team, and then obviously I won't be able to do the play because I'll be playing volleyball. And I remember the headmistress of my school being like, that's a you problem. You didn't plan your time well. And I was like, oh, what is this version of accountability? I was on the like I really thought I had cracked the code, and I did a play and then had I mean, God, this is so embarrassing you guys, Like people assume that if you do what I do for a living. You're like cool, and I'm just the I am like such a nerd, and I know people say that, but like, clearly you're learning that I mean it. I did my first play and had this out of body aha moment where I was like, wait, plays or books come to life. And then I started doing research on what, well, like, where does theater come from? Why were the Greeks so into it? I need to understand why this was so important, because I was looking at this as very frivolous, said, with all the love she knows the story, she won't be offended. My best friend from middle school and high school, Betsy, was like classic theater kid, like singing in vibrado in the hallways, you know, was a madrigal. Like that's just like my bad yeah, and I was like, that's her thing. And then I was like, I must understand why this feels so important, like in my bones. And then I started nerding out on the fact that even before there was written language, we had that the practice of passing down stories and performance, whether it was around a campfire or in an amphitheater like theater, led to language being written. And then I was like this, This is so profound for people, This is so this is important for us, and I love this and it's a legacy and it's a thing. I get to be like a teeny tiny little part of the in the landscape of humanity.
Speaker 3: Like I was in eighth grade, Are we okay? Just so, the longest diary entry of all time? Ah? Really?
Speaker 7: Like I think I wrote a whole journal about it. It had blue flowers on it, so embarrassing, but I just got obsessed. And then I don't think it was until probably my senior year in high school that I really thought about taking it seriously.
Speaker 3: I was in a play at.
Speaker 7: My school that was, I guess like sort of controversial for a high school and it got this little right up in the La Times, and a manager came to see it and was like, you should be an actor and you shouldn't leave California to go to college. I want to start sending you out on auditions. And then I was like, how do I tell my parents I'm going to go to theater school instead of medical school?
Speaker 3: How's this going to go over?
Speaker 7: And I just went for it, and then I wound up.
Speaker 2: Here, Oh, so, how did your parents react?
Speaker 3: I mean they were not thrilled.
Speaker 7: Okay, my dad is an artist. And I found out many years later that my mom was like.
Speaker 3: This is your fault.
Speaker 7: You turned your hobby into a career. Now she thinks she can do it too. Is this a nightmare? And my dad was like Maureen, like she's way too like embarrassingly smart.
Speaker 3: She's gonna hate this. I give it a year.
Speaker 7: And the irony is I used a monologue from denial to audition for the BFA theater class at USC was one of fourteen people who got accepted. And within a year I was like, I think there's just I like it here, but I need to study also other things. I can't do just this in the black box, like I want to pull my hair out. And I wound up transferring into the journalism school, shifting my BFA into a theater minor, and I was studying journalism and political science and that trifecta was what just like lit me up as a student. And I think it was the journalism study that particularly helped me with advocacy and you know, work on progressive causes and women's rights and gender issues and all the rest of it. And frankly, like really set me up to love this world, you know, the stories told in the world of an SVU, the stories told you know, in the world of a hospital, Like I really care about real people's stories.
Speaker 3: And it puts you in a perfect place to be a podcaster.
Speaker 1: I feel like as well, that's like a really good getting some guests podcast. Yeah, you guys recently had Monica Lewinsky exciting.
Speaker 7: Did it's been a big It's been a big year, Michelle Obama, Kamala Ownsky vice president, Kamala Harris. Yeah, it's like it's been pretty incredib amazing.
Speaker 1: They got to get you back on Would you go back on SVU? As like, as like do a little I.
Speaker 3: Got on SVU.
Speaker 1: You can't go back now it's not Aaron Lindsay. I think that would be too distracting. No, I wouldn't come to did you come back? I could as a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Comes back.
Speaker 7: I'm saying, like my my character could go Yeah, it would have to be Aaron because she went into the FBI or something, right, Yes, that's what I mean. Yes, I think certain characters, I'm okay if they come back, but you can't come back as like your character was just made too much big of an impact to come back and be like, Hi, my name is Sarah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: We also wouldn't I wouldn't want to. I loved playing her. Yeah, you can have a little revisit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need we need you and Benson act.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Also, Marishka and I just have so much fun together. It's like cutie pie.
Speaker 2: No. I wanted to ask about your void character and how it's fun to be as incredible. Yeah, how is that? And you have like yourself as an action figure.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's the most fun. I have the what are they called, the like pop pop them?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, funds. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I'm like no, I'm thinking like my my six year old brain was like a poppet and I'm like, no, those are so fun. And I have some of the sketches. I had the best time doing that. I mean, Pixar is it's that for me. It's it's like my happiest place on Earth. Don't get me wrong. I love Disneyland, but to go in there and be part of these incredible stories, I just love it. I love the world of animation, I love magic, I love the idea of superheroes. And there's also something so cool about getting to play a superhero in your pajamas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I didn't.
Speaker 7: I would, by the way, any any time, any day, Like pour me into a suit and put me on a wire and let me fly around like. I would love nothing more but to not have to be like molded into spandex to give you like more muscles than you have and be, you know, sweating, but also have to look gorgeous somehow and act like you're not sweating, and act like you can go to the bathroom. Like to play the superhero in my pjs was.
Speaker 3: So fun and funny, and.
Speaker 7: It it's like a really amazing return to your inner child in some way. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're in some huge universes. Yeah, wow, really cool.
Speaker 3: I guess I hadn't thought about it like that. How you're crushing it? Well, thanks, Well, what I mean, we've had you for so long, But I did.
Speaker 2: I had noticed that you directed some episodes of One Tree Hill.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, would you do that again? Was that fast? Absolutely?
Speaker 7: I loved it, and I think it was a really cool thing. You know, so many years into working on a show, when you get to helmet in that way. It magnified my love for this job. My love for our set, for my fellow castmates, our crew. Like, it's such a cool creative endeavor and it has changed me for the better as an actor ever since. You know, I meet with my department heads all the time. I'm always in the corner with like camera department figuring things out. Like I love the technicality of it, and directing really gave that to me in the most fun way. It was great.
Speaker 3: Do you think maybe they'll let you direct to Grace?
Speaker 7: Oh gosh, there is such a long line to direct on Grays. I have to say, like, hats off today, Allen. Every time I get to set, there's another actor there shadowing her. She puts people through a really incredible program, which I'm definitely curious about. And yeah, it's it's so much fun. The last episode of Grays, oh no, the second to last episode of Grays I did. I guess uh, Kim Raver directed and it was amazing.
Speaker 3: I think the.
Speaker 7: First episode of Grace I did, Kevin mckitt might have been directing or the second, Oh my god, I don't know. But it's really fun to be directed by the actors on that show. And I do think there's something really special about actors who wind up directing. It creates just like an energy on set with your coworkers. It's really special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've seen because Mariushka is down at a bunch of times.
Speaker 3: I feel again, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some we've talked to people that have been directed by her and it seems like it's a cool Oh, it's another level.
Speaker 7: I mean even to be a scene partner with her. She is inherent currently, so creative and knows that world literally better than anyone. So she's an incredible team leader. And then when she's actually in the director's chair, like, come on, you can't get better than that?
Speaker 3: What do you?
Speaker 2: Where can our listeners find you? What's net?
Speaker 6: Like? What?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Yeah? So many fun things? Yeah, projects? What's coming up? Yeah, I'm so excited.
Speaker 7: I can tell you guys because the press release just dropped today. Uh, Lauren Holly and I have a film coming out called broad Trip. We star in it together. I executive produced it. It's gonna be on Roku. It was like the most exciting thing to get into the sauce with. You know, one of the fastest growing streamers in the world right now, and I have the most wonderful time it's like a nineties era nostalgic rom com.
Speaker 3: It's absent.
Speaker 1: I mean, Lauren Holly is like a huge part of my childhood.
Speaker 3: Like I love her so much.
Speaker 7: Like I'm imagine going to work and Lauren Holly's playing your mom.
Speaker 3: I mean picket Fences. That's like a huge show for me.
Speaker 7: She is just such a thrill And it's her and myself and Steve Guttenberg, who very so I thought he was like, no, he answered every question I had about three men and a baby sweet angel. Yeah, we just we had the time of our lives.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is going to give all the nineties kids a real a real.
Speaker 3: Fell you know.
Speaker 7: I got started doing comedy and so to go back to my roots and to do something that's just so much fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we've worked on something like you're like on a game show network Lie Detector, Like you're like over a decade ago.
Speaker 1: This is like, yes, cool, David and I are in a mom text thread together in la Yeah, so you have to tell.
Speaker 7: You we're just together today. She is so tremendous. Her writing is so great. I can't wait for people to see this movie. And yeah, my podcast like we said, kick in guests are crushing.
Speaker 3: I can't into my life.
Speaker 7: You can listen to Work in Progress anywhere you listen to podcasts, And I'm leaving to shoot another movie that I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about yet on January second.
Speaker 1: So okay, so you're working, you're doing things, and you and people can get both of your podcasts, right, Drama Drama Queens and yes, the Working Progress wherever you get pods anywhere?
Speaker 3: Truly everything.
Speaker 2: She really was, so my manager, or so I text my manager, Brittany. I wrote, love Sophia Bush, and then Brittany writes, is she as iconic as she seems? And I wrote even more and then Brittany wrote insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah she was.
Speaker 1: So she's it's cool because she's an iconic actress, she's famous, but she's also a podcaster, so she like knows how to like be good in conversation, Like she's just a good conversationalist because she's doing it herself multiple times a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very famous, I mean, and like I like her joy her like happiness and doing the work and like all the people around her, it seems Yeah, she like likes her laugh.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, am I starting to listen to her podcast because she did talk to Monica Lewinsky and she has talked to Kamala and she's got like all these big guests, so no, so fast.
Speaker 3: I love talking to her.
Speaker 1: Love that she's like done so much in her career and she's like working with Marishka Tippity top towards the top of the list, you know, like iconic.
Speaker 3: We liked her a lot. Yeah, we were happy loved her.
Speaker 1: This episode gee dark as hell, like so many of the ones where they tried to tackle where they try to tackle human trafficking, which obviously I've had my say on human trafficking or whatever. It's not happening in the way that SVU always makes it seem all the time. But at the same time, living in a post Epstein Files semi release, have they fully been released? Not really, but it's just really I was sad about the trajectory of like, these are two kids from the same family, but like one person looked out for Aaron Lindsay and the other person didn't look out for Teddy, and their lives had such different trajectories, and I just it was let's keep an eye out on all.
Speaker 3: These fucking kids. I don't know. I don't know what my post mortem is on this, like.
Speaker 1: Watch out, watch out for your half brother, don't lose track of him for ten years. Also, thank you to the hundreds of you who commented Epstein files on the bottom of our last post. Some of you DMD it to us, which was even better. I would just open up dms and be like Epstein vials like we got so many responses it was hilarious.
Speaker 3: It's nice to know that a lot of you. Listen to the end of the pod.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, did you see the picture the new Luigi that dropped with the court officer behind him and everybody's like, oh, you guys are trying to minimize Luigi. Look at this icon standing behind him because there's like this like cool black woman standing behind him, like posed almost.
Speaker 3: It was like crazy.
Speaker 2: I can't think of another person that's been on trial where they've had armed police stand behind.
Speaker 1: Them, Like, what do you think is going to happen? He doesn't eat, he came.
Speaker 2: From jails, you're real, yeah, Like I it's so annoying. You know, they're playing these games trying to make him look more dangerous than he is when everyone knows he's a sweetie pie. Who's about I mean, I've been talking about Luisian stage obviously this whole year. But saying fruit of the Poisonous Tree is like the joy of my life. Like I love repeating it over and over, and I feel so smart every time I say it, and then the people that know get it, like it's so.
Speaker 3: It's really fun.
Speaker 1: So I actually have like full Christmas December brain right now, where everything is running together in a series of Christmas parties and alcohol and being too busy in stressed.
Speaker 2: But like I keep getting accidentally blacked out, and that's what I'm upset about. It keeps being casual nights. I wear sweatpants. Yesterday I was like, I have a quick spot in it. Wow, the sweatpants would be the deterrent.
Speaker 3: No, and it wasn't.
Speaker 2: And I went to a bar and I was there until like one point thirty for no reason. But I did get the Grinch happy meaning or like adult happy meal, and I got Grinch socks, which I've really wanted for Christmas.
Speaker 3: That's exciting.
Speaker 1: I want to warn some One of my mom group was selling a bunch of vintage nuggets and I wanted to get them for you, but somebody had bought them all. But I was gonna say, I have Christmas brain. But didn't I hear something that a bunch of shit from Luigi's gonna get thrown out, like they didn't mirandize him or like, well I've been saying this, you know, for my upon months, but yeah, something they all come out.
Speaker 2: No, no, well it's all coming out in these cases, but we don't know what's gonna happen. And there is stuff I didn't know, but like basically they searched the evidence without like a warrant or anything like that, but then they didn't find anything, and then body cam footage is turned off for I think it was eleven minutes or something like that, and then they found all this stuff in his backpack, so there's no chain of coming out. There's people a lot, like the cops are just bad, so they're long. I think they underestimated who they were trying to set up.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 2: I don't think, like I don't think Jessica Tish thought it through. I don't know, like whoever got this guy's about, Like, I think they underestimated his wealth and intelligence and like face, I don't know even though we saw the face. But also he didn't fight like all of the testimony, but the transcripts aren't going to come out until the end of the hearing, so I'll have more information hopefully soon.
Speaker 3: But like you think he's being set up.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's definitely some due process that has been done incorrectly.
Speaker 2: But I think it's a past it because then all of so, yeah, like all of this testimony is how polite he was, how nice he was. He didn't fight back, he did everything they set he was confused like it It's just.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think it was a hit. I think it was a hit man. I think they're trying to put it.
Speaker 2: Out there, yes, because to me, that cocking of the gun seemed very professional, like the way it was, like, like, I don't know how this like gamer with a bad back was able to.
Speaker 3: Look for future reference.
Speaker 1: If the government is going to set anybody up, don't pick like the hottest guy we've ever seen, who's like also super confident and like looks good in every pair of clothes that it has ever been thrown his way.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they didn't read him as mirandaites for I think it was like twenty two minutes. They didn't tell him what they were, you know, like all of that. But the evidence it's like, you know, they didn't log it, like something fucked happen.
Speaker 3: And so I'm hoping they are able to throw stuff out.
Speaker 2: But because if you don't have any of that evidence, I don't know what you even have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that evidence, there's no way you're telling me that.
Speaker 4: And it's.
Speaker 3: Manifesto.
Speaker 2: This motherfucker hates everyone so smart, so smart planned everything okay, and then left everything. But also in the manifesto and he never said it was the cops said it was, but it thanks the FBI and police for their hard work. And it's like in what we're like, that's so fake. I just don't buy it.
Speaker 1: Do you think we're ever going to hear Luigi speak on this stuff himself? Like, is he ever going to have like a statement that we're going to be able to Well.
Speaker 3: He's gonna have to be a witness, probably right, or I don't know, they don't put those guys up.
Speaker 2: It might all have to be thrown away. But then the federal government still wants something. It's like I don't know. It's it's like a long battle ahead. It's gonna be ears. But you yeah, I'm curious, but there's no new court stuff, so it's like I don't really try us the news.
Speaker 3: No, I want to read it.
Speaker 1: From I thought somebody messaged me or told me something new and I was like, ooh, exciting. But wait, have you watched any of the Ditty yet. I haven't watched any of the Ditty stuff. I'm not going to because I'm sure there's gonna be heard. I just heard it's really really good. Like I heard it's really good, so I want to I'm going to watch it. But did you know that like basically some camera crew like approached Ditty and was like, we want to film you in your days like leading up to trial or whatever, and he was like yeah, sure, and then they didn't. He didn't pay them, and that's when fifty cent came in and was like, I'll pay you. And that's how fifty cent got like all this fucking footage because he just paid the guys for their work and got all their footage.
Speaker 3: I love fifty cent. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I met fifty cent when I was a page and he was really cool. He was really nice to me and like honestly a little flirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but who does he go for? He fu, fuck you Randall, You're you're a creep. Fuck you Diddy, You're a human trafficker. Yeah, he goes after people. A yeah, yeah, I'm reading. There was actually a new letter December ninth to the judge from Karen the lawyer, so I haven't read that yet. But new docs, new docs. But yeah, Ceeling, we'll see what happens. But those cops did a bad job, like cops usually do, so yeah.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens. See what happens.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into what would sister Peg do? This is our now. Suddenly suddenly I'm getting the venmos. Suddenly I'm getting their venmo.
Speaker 3: There they are.
Speaker 1: You have to now there's an emoji and they were like, fine, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Did you see Zach Woods coming from Quentin Tarantino. I literally sent it around to friends. I was like, this is so fucking good, This is so good. Zach is the best.
Speaker 3: Do you know him? Do you have a good life? Yeah? And he's a really really nice guy. I like that.
Speaker 1: And we don't know each other well, but I did that on a plane one time and I saw him and he went, Hi, Kara, and I went.
Speaker 3: You know me? Like, I mean, I like we had known each other, but I didn't know you knew me, But we do.
Speaker 1: He's great, And I feel like you have to be like a one hundred percent good guy to have the confidence to go after Quentino in this way, because if you had shit in your past, that's gonna come up. Tarantino's gonna find your shit. But Zach Woods, he's clean, he's clean, he's just a good man. And it's like, it's not good that you're like a rape apologist and then you're out here just like pointing fingers at random actors that they're bad.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wait, so we do have to end this obviously it's time. Oh we have time. So no, my friend came over. You know, we're on a long journey. I think by the fourth weekend, I'll have my new bookshelf and I'll be fully done. But more stuff left the house, more and more and more. I'm getting rid of so much. Okay, but we were organizing my bathroom and she looks at me, she goes, so you're really shopping in bulk? These days, and I went, what And so I didn't realize how many of Like I'm just so scared of running out of stuff that I have so many multiples of things. And I didn't really realize. And I was about to be like, no, that actually belongs out here. She goes, no, there is one out here, and now there's two more down here too, And I go, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So funny, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So she goes, before you buy anything under the sink, you actually have a little store, So why don't you have.
Speaker 3: To check here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go shopping in your little store. And then Nicholas, what's missing? Yeah, she goes, I use three deodorants a year. Maybe she goes, what, like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: I got? I don't know. I don't know. I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: So funny, it's so nice, Like as someone that's a perpetually messy person, We'll see how long I can keep it going. I've never been this motivated and this like keeping up with it as I have been late.
Speaker 3: But it's just such a better life.
Speaker 2: When there's space and yeah, and things are straightened up, and it's like the things that are hanging in my closet are just the things I wear now, Like I got rid of everything that I do not wear constantly. Oh, capsule, capsule and my life's seat.
Speaker 3: Like it just feels calming. I'm enjoying being a home more.
Speaker 1: Like it does feel nice to be a little And this is the first episode of the year, so this is like kind of not that we're like pro resolution or anything, but like it's kind of like a nice way for you to start out the holiday season and the new year being organized, you know.
Speaker 2: And I'm more I've been more, a little bit more productive, and I think it's because I'm not overwhelmed by stuff. Yeah, but I but I do have all my notebooks in a bin. And if you see me trying to buy a notebook somewhere, please put.
Speaker 3: A stop to it. Please you see.
Speaker 1: Lisa anywhere near a stationery store, I don't care what's on the cover of it.
Speaker 3: She can't have it.
Speaker 1: That's so funny, all the notebooks that have been I mean I have I'm looking right now at a full shelf filled with joke notebooks of me and Jared's.
Speaker 3: What are we going to do with those? Are we telling those jokes anymore?
Speaker 1: I don't know them away because they feel kind of like scrap, but I don't know well.
Speaker 2: To me, it's like every time she found a set list, it's like it is the same eight things over and over again ever a while.
Speaker 1: Truly that thing that that would be due open that up some of my early thoughts about from stand up, what's up with anyone done anything about airports? Anyway, let's get into our what would Sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you towards an organization, a book, a movie, a doc something to give you more info about what we talked about today. And obviously nobody was happy to see where Little Teddy's life ended up going, so we wanted this week to point you to the National Runaway Safe Line. Their mission is to keep America's runaway, homeless and at risk youth safe and off the streets. They offer twenty four to seven to mediate assistants at.
Speaker 3: One eight hundred Runaway.
Speaker 1: But if you're a parent and you need advice, they have resources to deal with you know, children's and children and teens who are going through stuff so that they don't feel you know, so you can communicate with them and hopefully avoid a runaway situation. So for more information you can head on over to one eight hundred runaway dot org. This is an old organization that's existed for decades to help runaways. So yeah, that'll be posted and LinkedIn on our show notes and as always, posted in a story and saved in our WWSPD highlight forever on our Instagram, which is that's messed up pod.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, and oh god, I have to say it, Rorshack. Oh I said it. It's sorry.
Speaker 2: All the ss and sees together really did intimidate me for a moment.
Speaker 3: But we will be doing.
Speaker 2: Rorshack from season twenty six, episode six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen our podcast. This is awesome and well we'll have more. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Happy New Year. I hope it's cold and fine where you are.
Speaker 1: Happy New Year to all of our tommies. We love you, guys. Or not cold, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what people want, but I feel it's hibernation season and we should be hibernating.
Speaker 3: It's nice and warm here in LLL.
Speaker 1: We wake up and it's forty five, then it gets to eighty, and then it goes back to forty five. It's kind of insane, crazy, but happy New Year. We really love you guys. We'll see you in the New Year. I mean, I know it is the new Year, but you know we're on the other side of the time machine, so see us soon.
Speaker 2: My That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and fileo us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at exactly right.
Speaker 4: Media dun, dun,