Speaker 1: Welcome to the Jagxam.
Speaker 2: I'm Ken, Nannie Stevens, Brian Sexton, and John oserre with me today. We're gonna have your Thanksgiving pre edition here. On Wednesdays, we get ready for the holiday and we get ready for the dag Wars to take on the Texans this weekend. We heard from Doug Peterson yesterday for the first time since the bye weekend. We did learn a couple of things, or at least some new information. So big thing number one is internal changes. Doug Peterson not overly forthcoming with what those changes are, but he did say there were changes made. Yeah, we're nothing that will share at this time, and I personally thank you just to be a little bit more clear on that, you know, it's it's sort of I say that say this that the lot.
Speaker 3: Of these are in house, and then these are things that we focus on as a staff and as a team, and I just don't think they need to be in the open right now.
Speaker 2: Brian, we don't know what the exact changes are going to be. Maybe we'll figure them out on Sunday when we see the team go out there against the Texans, but it's a little too late for changes at this point, are you just happy they're doing something different.
Speaker 3: I'm not quite sure what you're asking Kai, am I supposed to interpret what he?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just.
Speaker 3: So big, Yeah, I mean he leaves it open for us to guess, and that's dangerous in and of itself. Or we're talking about who's calling the plays, whether they're eliminating the rotation on defense that has caused so much angst. It probably does make sense for him not to share all of it, but a little bit of it would make it a little bit easier to describe.
Speaker 4: Have no clue what they are. I neither its John.
Speaker 1: I have my thoughts, but I'm I'm not gonna share them at this time.
Speaker 2: Okay, I appreciate you announcing that big thing number two. Practice makes perfect Trevor Lawrence. We haven't seen for a couple of weeks. Matt Jones as a starter for the last two weeks before the buye. He was at practice on Monday. John, we don't know still at this point. I think we'll have maybe a little bit better idea at the end of the week. But they purposely thegue usually with these kinds of things. But it was good to see Trevor back out there.
Speaker 5: John, Yeah, and I think it's gonna say. I have my thoughts on this too.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. It feels Brian and Kai like.
Speaker 5: It's going to be a week where we don't find out much hard information about Trevor Lawrence and they take him into the weekend. I kind of feel like he'll play. I guess if he wasn't going to play, I think they would probably take the same approach as they did in that last game where he didn't play before the bye and as kind of Tea leaves, thank goodness we have this to discuss, because I'm not sure what else we would discuss, But.
Speaker 1: That's sort of how it feels.
Speaker 5: I think he'll play, and you know, frankly, Brian, as somebody who looks for storylines, let's cross our fingers in hope plays yeah, because it'll be interesting and it'll feel real. I don't know how it's going to feel if and when Trevor Lawrence is done for the season, if that even happens.
Speaker 3: So, you know, normally when they play the vague, you know, the game with quarterback. I mean, it's obviously to keep the other team guessing and make them spend some time preparing for Mac Jones or CJ. Bethern. But what would be a setback for him? I mean, he's not going to take a hit on the practice field this week. So if he looks good and feels good and where are.
Speaker 4: You on Friday?
Speaker 3: And even then you get the sense douggers are going to make any sort of a public proclamation on this thing. But he wasn't on the practice field the week of the Lions game. I would think that the fact that he's out there getting some first team reps, which is what we saw when practice was open, would indicate that he's going to play.
Speaker 2: Knock the rust off a little bit. Hopefully we see Trevor out there on Sunday. Our final big thing today can be Sunday showed out and they're taking on the Texans. It's a divisional battle. Texans big lost last week and just what we've been able to see, Brian, what would a win this week do for this team, especially right now?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean they're the class of the division. They're seven and five. Even though they haven't played well the last couple of weeks, they are still a team that the Jaguars have been chasing. Since well, since this season started, and they were holding them off when last season ended. So they're the class, They're the top of the food chain, and to go out there and beat them would indicate that maybe you're not as bad as you looked against the Lions, and that would be a big statement for this team to make.
Speaker 5: John Yeah, and I think they should realize that. In the last two meetings with these teams, the Jaguars won the one at the end of last season. It was really the last breath of life for this team because Cincinnati came next and all of a sudden, everything started falling apart.
Speaker 1: And they know.
Speaker 5: I don't want to say the Jaguars were the better team in Houston, but they sure had plenty of chances to put that game away and win. So the difference was isn't that much? I think the Jaguar I think it's the game the Jaguars can win. It won't save this season, but I guess it would if you assume that the Texans are going to be a team that the Jaguars as a franchise has to deal with going forward, beating them, holding serve at home, bidding them for the first time here since seventeen. It would matter in the sense that there wouldn't be a tilting toward the Texans feel right now, and maybe that would be a good thing going forward.
Speaker 3: And Kay, I think it's important to point out they're the best team remaining on the schedule, right, I mean, yeah, the Titans, the Jets, the Texans are.
Speaker 4: The best team.
Speaker 3: Love, So if you have it in your mind, let's go on a little winning streak here at the end. To start with the best team and to beat them would give you something to build on.
Speaker 1: Stay with us on Jagsam.
Speaker 2: We do not know what those internal changes are, but we're going to give you our best guess after the break. Fields Autogroup Jacksonville, Jacksonville's premier luxury auto group. You can go to Fieldsauto dot com to check them out.
Speaker 1: This school the badness, this schools.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into jacks Aam.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do a little this or that.
Speaker 2: Doug Peterson talking about internal changes on both sides of the football, but didn't want to elaborate any more than that, but we're going to do our best to guess as to what those might be. We'll start with some defensive changes and I just picked two that I would like to see, and I'll want your guys to point of view. If we could get Ventrel Miller's a starter and more snaps, or Eric Armstead only starting as defensive tackle, which one would you.
Speaker 1: Like to see.
Speaker 4: Armstead is a defensive tackle.
Speaker 3: He's been a non factor to my site as a defensive end, you know what, rushing from that wide nine. But in the middle, he is tall, he's long, he is the kind of guy with his arms stretched, is in the field of view of the quarterback. I would love to see him back where he had his most success in San Francisco, which is lined up in the three technique.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree with you, except I don't know. You know, it's hard for Trayvon and Josh to play every snap out there, and I don't know who else to put out there.
Speaker 1: But I would take that.
Speaker 5: With Armstead playing in the middle absolutely. At the same time, I want to see Vntrel in there, Like I'd like to see a game where Ventrel plays most snaps every snap. It's not gonna happen, because you know, I could take Devin Boy completely off the field, but gearing more toward both I would like to see.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see some more of Ventral in there for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Looking at the offensive side of the football, Press Taylor and Doug Peterson, we've been talking about play calling for what seemingly as months, and while we both think, I think we all think that they call pretty similar games. That may be one of the changes that we've been talking about. Because Doug didn't answer it before the the bye week, and now he's saying there's changes.
Speaker 3: Well, he has an answered it all season, right, I mean he has left it of two so that people could guess. And when I'm at a speaking engagement or in line of publics and someone starts railing about Press Taylor and his play calling, extinction and they should fire him, like are.
Speaker 4: You sure he's calling them?
Speaker 3: I mean, Doug could have clearly said I'm calling the place or Press is calling the place, but he didn't want to do that. Again, he's an old school guy. He likes to leave people guessing his opponent. Also, you know John there of the same mind. They've worked so closely together through the years. I don't know that it matters which one calls the place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've thought this since day one, that it's been an overblown issue. It's been a hot point issue the frankly Doug has created by leaving it be an issue. I don't think he thinks it's a big deal. I don't think it's a big deal with fans think it's a big deal. Who calls play again, I think you're getting mostly the same result no matter who calls him flip a coin.
Speaker 3: He's been adamant about it going back to his days in Philadelphia. Reportedly, that's what cost him the head coaching job when he was with the Eagles was that he wouldn't make that change. And of course he stood up here right after the Lions game and wouldn't let people point fingers as coaches, he said, point him at me. So I don't think you'll ever know until one or both of them are doing something somewhere else who was calling.
Speaker 2: The placer get some insight after the fact.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe all.
Speaker 2: Right, coming up after the break, we're gonna tell you what we're thankful for this Thanksgiving for Jaguars bum For eleven years, Dreamfinders Holmes have been proud to call themselves the official homebuilder of the Jacksonville Jaguars. You can visit Dreamfindersomes dot com for all of the available inventory and go Jags back here on jag Dam Wednesday before Thanksgiving. So things are not where we expected them to be at this time year, but we're still thankful because we get to cover football every single day and we found a couple of things to be thankful for. I think that's fair enough. But relative to football, yes, relative to football, relative to this team, Brian, I think the stadium deal has to be right up there this year.
Speaker 3: Well, it is for me because for so many years it was a question mark if the Jaguars would be in this market long term. There was a time in two thousand and two where the stadium was empty and they were giving away tickets, and you always look to the future and what would cement this team in this town long term championships do that they don't have one of those yet, But to have a stadium like the one that they're calling the Stadium of the future to look forward to and a long term, thirty year lease means that you know, by the time we get to the end of at least the Jaguars should have a couple of championships and a tradition and a couple of generations. I think the stadium represents the long term future of the Jaguars and Jacksonville married together. So I'm personally very thankful having been here since the beginning for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah I am as well.
Speaker 5: I mean it's as somebody who I was around when or say landed the helicopter in the seventies, nobody of mine down the street had a Jacksonville Colt shirt all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So to have that be solidified.
Speaker 5: Long after we're gone, Brian is it's a very cool thing, and in the big picture matters more than the immediate. We just need to get the immediate where it's more fun than it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you say the immediate would be really helpful right now, but when you when you pull out and think about your kids, kids, kids being able to be Draguars fans like the people in Wisconsin are with Green Bay, that's meaningful.
Speaker 2: I think one of the bright spots I always like to point out is Brian Thomas Junior because I didn't expect it. John we I think we were both on the same page of let's get a corner, maybe someone on defense. But Brian Thomas Junior is one of the brightest spots we've had this ye.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Brian and I both thought they might go offensive line. I didn't know which direction they would go. Anybody who reads me for the long term knows I expect very little out of rookies usually, and Brian Thomas Junior.
Speaker 1: Has far exceeded my expectation.
Speaker 5: I think what's the most exciting is you can see what he is, you can see what he's gonna be. And you know, if usually rookies are operating at about forty percent of what they're going to become. When this kid gets everything, meaning NFL level professionalism, when the game slows down for him, he's got a chance to be top five and you know who knows how good he can be.
Speaker 1: I guess what I'm getting that, Bryan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen, I mean the unanswered prayers, right. I wanted them to take offensive tackle. I really felt like in this draft high which was so loaded with great on young offensive tackles, and with Cam on his way out and Walker Little on the last.
Speaker 4: Year of his deal, I want him take a tackle.
Speaker 3: And then this kid comes through in his revelation and I'll just I'll use Jimmy Smith's phrase to me, wow, standing on the sidelines of that Colts game. Before complementing the Ring of Honor, he said, Wow, that kid is really good. And Jimmy does throw around a lot of compliments to other wide receivers, so that one really sticks in my head. He is special. He will be that guy who helps the quarterback with his game.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of pieces they need to add, but when you've got the quarterback and the wide receiver, mixing the running back and the tight end, you've got some things. But you got to have the alpha receiver. He's the first alpha that we've had in Jacksonville since two thousand and five.
Speaker 4: Good when Jimmy was playing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good to see it.
Speaker 2: Mine is a little bit. I have a two parter because mine originally was I'm thankful we're not playing on Thanksgiving because I thought we were gonna play this year. That's the only franchise that hasn't played on Thanksgiving that we're playing Detroit. Maybe we'll play that game. That wouldn't have been very fun to see that Detroit game play out this week, and also to have the break be home with our families and be able to celebrate the holiday.
Speaker 1: So I am thankful for that.
Speaker 2: But then also breaking news today, Tyler Shatley is back, and selfishly he is one of my favorite players that I've ever covered. We're all big fans of him here on the couch. So Tyler Shatley back in the house on a practice squad makes me happy.
Speaker 4: We look for Tyler and has a legitimate beard once again. Yes, man, he takes it very, very seriously. I'm grateful for him to be back to you.
Speaker 3: He came here in twenty fourteen as an untrafted rookie and stayed all those years. He's such a sage voice in the locker room. Even though he wasn't a starter or a star, he was a guy that you could always go to for a little bit of perspective. He's got it.
Speaker 4: A great guy. Happy Thanksgiving, Glad to have.
Speaker 1: You back to Yeah, no doubt and his eleventh season.
Speaker 2: So nice to have an elder Jaguar statesman in the house again once again. All right, say with us, We'll tell you what's coming up the rest of the week before the Texans game on Sunday, Jack's Fans, if you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check got zipter dot com to browse all the customizable options. Zip cher Is furniture for fans. Also, this weekend's game against the Texans, sponsored by the University of Florida Health is they are proud healthcare partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. That's gonna be this Sunday's game against the Texans. Also going to be My Cause, My Cleats game, which is pretty cool because each player gets to pick a cause or charity that's really important to them and get to wear that on their cleats, which normally they're very particular about what you get to wear for your uniform. I believe those are Ross Matti six is going to be representing the j Fund, Trevor Lawrence doing Wilson's Children's Hospital, and then my personal favorite cleats I don't know if we have yes, Evan Ingram is doing this special Education School of Florida and he loves that. And then this is also coach Shoey and some of the other coaches are going to be representing triple negative breast cancer research to honor Showey's wife who just finished treatment in October, so happy for that. Lots of great causes.
Speaker 1: Check it out.
Speaker 2: We'll have a bunch of stuff posted throughout the week about different players and what causes they're representing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the league is so percipity about uniform and socc length. I mean, they have people with clipboards that walk around on the sidelines before a game and you know, make sure that guys aren't violating that. So it was really nice to see when they let up for this a few years ago and it was two or three players, and now I think over the course of season, every player the league gets to do this.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's nice to just kind of throw that all away for a week. So very very fortunate, and hopefully you guys have some good Thanksgiving plans.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm cooking. I'd love to cook and I'm excited to do it as.
Speaker 1: My sister's in town, so that'll be great.
Speaker 2: We love it and you I'll probably take the dog to the beach and then I'll find a turkey somewhere, as I always do. We appreciate you guys joining us. We are thankful for you guys joining us. We'll be back on Monday to talk about that Texans game. Enjoy the weekend, Enjoy your holiday.