Speaker 1: Times Record, bring we will see you.
Speaker 2: To the Gunner.
Speaker 3: Welcome and hang out.
Speaker 2: The Just Baseball Show is live. Thank you so much for joining us wherever you may be taking in this podcast audio wise on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. You could be watching later on in the day or in the next couple of days on YouTube, Thanks for doing that. Or you could be joining us live on x or on YouTube, and we thank you for doing that. Jack Mullen, RM Layton Peyton gen is handling things as always. After Peydon should be up for a local Emmy breaking down last night's Red Sox White Sox game. That was one of the best game breakdowns that I've seen from Peyden in a long time. And Peyton constantly pumps out quality work. But Peyton Genis, that was one of your finest works. So tip of the cap to you man. We're going to talk about the hottest team in baseball, the team of the summer, winning the Game of the Year. Mickey Moniac got paid to a certain extent. It's a two year extension, but I just want to highlight what Moniac has done with the Rockies, because I think he has been one of the more underappreciated bats in baseball over the last couple of years, especially this year, and the Rockies seem to have a quasi quote unquote building block for the next couple of years. In Moniac we also have a minor league report, including a notable major league call up for the first time, Nick Pivetta. It was a bizarre sequence where he walked off the mound right after throwing a pitch. Nobody knew why they paused his rehab, and there's a weird contractual quirk in there that we want to discuss and tie it back to a couple other guys. And then, of course the weekend preview is presented by Picket. All that coming up Before that, do want to tell you about our friends at bet MGM, because the Just Baseball Show, as always, is presented by bet MGM. Did your home run bet come up short? Thanks to this MLB no Sweat home run token, you don't have to worry if your bet didn't clear the fences. Just activate your token when you bet on any player to hit a home run in any MLB game. If that player fails to go yard, you'll get your stake back In bonus bets keep the action in scoring position with bet MGM the King of the Big Swing arm Layton a lot to get to, but I think we should absolutely be starting with the team of the summer. The Boston Red Sox are twenty six and three in their last twenty nine if I'm not mistaken, They're thirty one and five in their last thirty six games, and they win the Game of the Year last night. And we have annoyed to several games of the year, but Caleb Durban walking it off in the bottom of the thirteenth for twelve eleven win, I think that qualifies this Game of the Year.
Speaker 3: No, it has to be, And I hate to admit I got to rely on Peyton's recap. I was deep in the top one hundred update like lab last night and was not as dialed into that game as I should have been, because it just really was an all timer there. And it just even though like every time I would check in and it would seem like, oh, this one might be well, of course out of the gate, seem like oh they're out of this thing, and then this one's definitely slipping away again or out no way they can get back into it again. You still always just kind of that initial thought was just usurped by. Of course they're going to come back and win it. Nothing can go wrong for them right now. And it just feels like, no matter what the circumstance is, the Red Sox are going to find a way to come out on top. And this game was a perfect example of that. I think it wasn't even like the White Sox, like I'm sure you could pinpoint it in a game that's you can pinpoint specific moments. Sure, it wasn't like they gave this thing away from everything that I saw and followed, and with the recap as well, like, it wasn't like the White Sox just just completely fell apart or had terrible moments. It's just that the Red Sox will not go away right now. And if you were them, how would you you feel like you can come back in any circumstance.
Speaker 2: Again, there are nuances to this, no doubt about it. I watched the condensed game this morning, and I watched Peyton's recap as well, and it just seemed like every single time the White Sox through a jab, the Red Sox through a jab again, and then when the White Sox finally broke and Peyton called it breaking and I get it in the top of the thirteenth inning, not plating that placed runner. Some people call it a ghost runner. He's a real human being. He's a real human I never understood that.
Speaker 3: I mean, was the ghost runner When you're playing one v one against your friend and you've got the runner on second base, it's a real human.
Speaker 2: I go, placed runner. That's what I call him. So I like.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's debatable. I actually it's it's so obvious.
Speaker 2: The other one that I don't like is automatic runner. People call it the automatic runner, and I can kind of get that. It's like out halfway in between. But I just view the umpiring crew as placing the guy at second base. So placed runner for me, and that is my rent on minushe for today. But they don't play the placed runner. In the top of the thirteenth and the Red Sox and Caleb Durban they throw the finishing punch and Caleb Durban had himself a walk off single. Durbin is I think one of the poster boys of this Red Sox run. There are stars that are playing like stars right now, like Wilson Contrere is playing like a star right They've got guys that are pitching like stars. Will Yarbreu is playing like a star. Rafaela is playing like a star. But I think Caleb Durban is the perfect mascot for the Red Sox season to this point. Not only is he five foot six, but he also was one of the worst players in baseball for the first two months of the year and the Red Sox were one of the worst teams in baseball. And since then, while the Red Sox have been the best team in baseball, Durbin has been one of the best players in baseball. There is a direct correlation between Durban going from really bad to really good and the Boston Red Sox going from really bad to really good. So very fitting that the Game of the Year ends in favor of the team of the summer and maybe the dude of the summer here in Caleb Durban walking it off. A couple of notes here, Sam Block, the Red Sox were down two nothing, four nothing, four two five to two five three seven, five, seven, six, nine, seven, nine, eight, ten, nine eleven, ten, and they won the game and then Buster only game of the year, without a doubt, one of the greatest regular season games ever. Buster says the Chicago White Sox held a lead within every inning from the third inning through the twelfth on Thursday night. That's ten straight innings of leads and they lost in the thirteenth. Less an indictment on the White Sox, more a testament to the Red Sox, and they can do absolutely zero wrong right now.
Speaker 3: Maybe if they held on to Sir Anthony Dominga as they closed that one out.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you think so pretty well.
Speaker 3: I thought Luis Castillo actually looked better than the line suggested too, because I did, like in the front end watching him throw, he looked a little bit more rejuvenated. I think, I think we're gonna see a little bit of a better Castillo. That's my prediction down the stretch here with the White Sox. But you know, the biggest thing here is just it seems like everybody is stepping up, right. You mentioned it, Sidan Rafaela. And there was a couple at bats I number one where I locked back in and I was watching it was like terrible swing decisions, like expanding in two zero in a spot where you definitely should and then expanding again in three one. Interesting, You're like, what are you doing, but he still ends up hitting a double most of the time in these at batch where you and maybe that catches up to you. I don't know, but the last thirty games for him is eight homers a one forty four WRC plus. You mentioned Caleb Darbin. His last thirty games since July first, he has a one thirty nine WRC plus and he compared that to how bad he was before. It's ridiculous. He's walking as much as he's struck out wilsingon Treras in that same span, one ninety four WRC plus. And maybe the most surprising of them all, Andrew Monasterio is now stepped in and in twenty four games for him ninety seven played appearances since July first, he's in three forty five with a one to seventy five WRC plus. Now that is where you look at and say that's probably not sustainable, but the Mastaki Yoshida has been consistently solid for them. Jarendran is at least putting together better at bats, and I think that is just just huge to get him out of his own head and to not be an automatic out. I think there's just a lot of interesting wrinkles the one other thing that's fascinating with this team too. From that span July first onward, they're number one in the league in ELRA at two point eighty five, and they are number four at WRC plus, tied with the Cubs at one seventeen. It's just ridiculous stuff from this Red Sox team that has just been red hot in every facet of the game.
Speaker 2: So I know Peyton's got some thoughts here. I just want to cut Durban seat he's in a half real quick, because Durbin, before this run like this, the bad Red Sox were put to rest on June twenty fourth, and this Red Sox was born on June twenty fifth. So Durbin from opening day until June twenty fourth hit to eighteen with a six thirty six ops to eighteen six thirty six. From June twenty fifth onward, he's hitting three to ten with an eight to ninety one OPS. Again, direct correlation between bad and good. Peyton, I'm sure you have a billion different nuggets on this game in this team right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, the first thing I kind of want to say is even zooming out of this game alone. Looking at this series, I think this series shows how dangerous this Red Sox team actually is. I know it's kind of an understatement based on how they're playing right now, but think about like this Game one, boat race fourteen to two, Red Sox win, Game two, shut out, four nothing, Red Sox win, Game three, absolute chaos, Red Sox win. They can beat you in every single way, and I mean it's and I don't know if anyone deserves more of an apology than Craig Breslo for building a team that like just feels kind of Brewerish right now in the way that they're able to just beat you in all these different ways, and you know, pull out these crazy wins and pull out devil magic, and I don't know, it's just really crazy watching them right now.
Speaker 3: Do you think they found the English to English translator on July first around that time.
Speaker 2: And his name is Chad freaking Tracy Mike.
Speaker 3: I will say, I do, I do apologize on the baseball side of things, but I do think too A big part of the criticisms were largely communication and optics based, so I do I did criticize some traits and look is another overpay quote unquote, but now even some of the early reports, John Hayman was saying Red Sox team comp that they can extend there's a good shot to extend Adli, which maybe was the delay. You remember when the deal came was reported I think first by Jared Carrabas, who obviously is very plugged into the Red Sox organization. Then we had this like multi hour weight. I wonder how much of that was maybe caring out some of the medical stuff, but then also like, all right, we'll give this package up, but like, can we at least get like a verbal that you're gonna negotiate with us and faith on an extension. Yeah, And I wonder if that was part of it as well. But it's just the vibes are so high right now because they're doing this with there're two deadline acquisitions and like one before, but they're two big acquisitions aren't even available. Curtis Meat immediately gets hurt and it fits this team like a glove, and Adwie Richmond is exactly what they needed and he's not available yet and Wilson's been out for a week. So it's like there's so much more. And that's not to mention Roman Anthony coming back and you know, it seems like all of the reports you talk about optics, like, it just seems like anything negative around the Red Sox org would get out, and the reports about Marcelo Mayer, you know, maybe just not being the best vibe curator in there. I think them shipping him out for a and you know, a back end top thirty prospect probably backs that up. So, I mean, it just seems like things just continue to head and you know, in a more positive direction for this Red Sox team.
Speaker 2: Peyton, do you have the buster tweet about Chad Tracy because I think that opens up a decent conversation here. There are some I think four gone conclusions when it comes to the manager carousel this offseason when we hit it in Major League Baseball, Like I think New York is kind of the Carlos Beltron Invitational at this point. I think Philly, if they don't go with Mattingly moving forward, that it's kind of the Alex Cora Invitational at this point. But Peyton, if we have that buster tweet, we'd love to flash that real quick. One second, all right, I think that Boston was in a weird position where you know, they they could have opened it up and gone to a big search and got a flashy name. But Buster is right. Is there any chance Chad Tracy will be replaced this season? No? So what's the point of maintaining the interim tech? And I saw comments on this tweet like you can't mess up a good thing. You can't remove the tag when when they're on this hot stretch you gotta wait for like a three game shut up, shut up. Chad Tracy's the manager of the Boston Red Sox next year. There's no ifs ands or butts about it. Chad Tracy has earned this freaking job again. If Cora was on the table, I understand, but they fired Cora. They're the team that fired him. The Mets are gonna go with Beltron in all likelihood. It seems so like we're sitting here saying, okay with the Red Sox, like try to entertain a David Ross or something like that. Ud, just stick with the guy that's doing this. Chad Tracy's the freaking man and.
Speaker 3: He speaks preslo. So just just don't don't get cute with it it, just just stick with it. It works. My other thing is, when is the last time I think the last time we had a manager interim manager win Manager of the Year is Jim Tracy in two thousand and nine. And then one of my goats, Jack McKeon with the two thousand and three Marlins with the cigar in mouth. I'm sure the whole time. That's amazing. So this would be an unbelievable feat and I feel like he's got to win it, right.
Speaker 2: You would think so, right, who else would win it in the American League? Kevin Cash maybe, But I think it's Chad Tracy And I think it's a foregone conclusion.
Speaker 4: Isn't that?
Speaker 2: Is that not his dad, Jim Tracy. I don't think they're related.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, that's.
Speaker 2: They're related. Then ninety pure.
Speaker 3: That's a funny coincidence.
Speaker 4: Then one more thing I want to hit on because I sent this to you, Chase Mydroff had two homers last night against the team that traded him, and I think that would have been a really fun story if the Red Sox obviously didn't. You know, the player to be named later in the Durbin trade was Bruis Double Magic once summer hit, but yesterday with his homer off Rhodist Chapman, Chase Midrov is the only hitter to ever homer off Chapman and Miserowski. How long would that last? I don't know, but it could last for a really long time based on how good Jacob Mazerowski is.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the comments.
Speaker 3: It is his dad, They are definitely related.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It is Chad Tracy's dad, Jim Tracy. That's crazy. My confusion there is Chad Tracy was not related to the other Chad Tracy, Chad Tracy that was a big league player, so he was what a diamondback for a second. But yeah, Jim Tracy is Chad Tracy's dad, So that would be really cool, and that would be perfectly baseball for that to happen. But again, the Boston Red Sox are the hottest team in baseball, the best team in baseball at this point right now, and it is incredible. And how about this from Ercle twelve watching on YouTube. Chad Tracy now nineteen games over five hundred as manager of the Boston Red Sox this year. So the Red Sox, Man of the vibes are absolutely aclate. Let's pivot to Mickey Moniac here. Mickey Moniac got himself a nice two year extension. Moniac is a Colorado Rocky for the next handful of years. And Moniac was a guy that was often talked about leading up to the trade deadline. Does somebody need you know a lefty bat that is mashing in Colorado? They up to give Moniac a two year extension worth about sixteen million dollars, and I just thought it was worth like spending eightish minutes on Mickey Moniac here because he has totally revitalized his career in Colorado. Yes, he had a good year in Anaheim in twenty three, but it was only eighty five games. In two years in Colorado, Mickey Moniac is sporting an eight point fifty ops hitting two seventy three with forty three homers and one hundred and twenty three driven in two hundred and twelve games. I understand it's the most hitter friendly environment in Major League Baseball, But at the end of the day, Moniac has been very, very productive, and they kind of fell ass backwards into Mickey Mooniac here. He was damage goods to a certain extent, and I'm just really happy for Mickey Moniac that his career has resulted in a two year extension, and I'm really happy for Colorado finding a guy that they can again quote unquote build around. It's a two year, sixteen million dollar contract extension, but at the end of the day, this is an impact bat in the middle of their lineup, and he's going to give other teams headaches when they come to Corsfield and when they go to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is just a good move in general. I think it gives you a little bit of a window here to just kind of see what you could piece together for next season. In the year after that, I mean, why can't this Rockies team, you know, start to progress towards being more competitive. And it's not like this contract is going to hamper you from being able to move him a year or a year and a half from now as well. And I think that's the biggest part. It's not like he's that much more expensive, you know. And I think what's exciting is there's just at least some sort of a signal to Rockies fans. So, yeah, we cash it on some guys, but the guys that are producing, like we have a young core here all of a sudden, and we want to hold on to some guys I thought they they'd move them. I thought it could make some sense. But I think in assessing what they've got, like zac Veen just said, his twentieth Holmer, but I think there's still clearly some doubts that he would ever be able to come up and do what Moniac is doing. And you have a pretty large sample of him having success here now and I think being even better this year than he was the year before. So I like it. I think it's it's just encouraging overall for a Rockies orgue that again just just kind of showing them those fans some some sort of good faith and showing that things are are trending a little bit differently than they have in the past. And also I think the Moniac just just wrinkle for himself. Is really interesting because you go from like, you know, being talked about as an all time bust and you know, the number one pick what hangs over your head as being one of those guys is just so tough, and you know, now I think was he the Is he what we expected and what the Phillies expected when they took them number one? Overall? Maybe not, but I think now you're looking and the guy that's gonna end up looking back at his career and you're gonna say he had a really nice, you know, overall career and put up some good numbers. And I think that part is really nice. And what out of the gate looked like, you know, it could be a really frustrating and disappointing story with another number one overall pick. So happy for Maniac, happy for the Rockies. And again, there's a lot of talent all of a sudden trying to kind of make its way up. We're gonna see Charlie Condon before the end of the year. You know, we'll see how he fits in. Obviously, Chase Dolander has been out, but that's a guy that's still a big part of their future. Cole Kerrigg has been fantastic. They held on to Goodman, they held on to McCarthy, like, there's some decent big league pieces that have proven well this year, and it's I think Kyle Carros has been good. There's finally some things to look.
Speaker 2: Forward to in Colorado three or one more. I think Rumfield's really good too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: CJ. Rumfield is a guy that you can, you know, again sort of kind of build around and We're not sitting here saying they're the White Sox in two years where they're going from you know, one hundred and twenty losses last year to possibly winning the National League West next year. Like that's just not gonna happen then, But why can't they be a seventy five win team in a year or two? You know, why can't they be a seventy win team next year? And they're not pacing for seventy right now. I think they're pacing for what sixty five right now? But like, the incremental improvements are really important in a place like Colorado, and Moniac can be you know, one of the poster boys of that. And last thing on Moniac real quick, you mentioned he's a different player than who the Phillies drafted number one over on sixteen. Like the profile has changed entirely. Oh yeah, if I remember correctly, he was supposed to be that really good defenders, speed back to ball guy when he was drafted, And now he's like, let's hit the ball to the ballpark and let's slug a little bit and let's play not great defense at a corner rock field spot.
Speaker 3: Well, when it's like a hit first guy that the hit tool doesn't end up being what you believe it was it was going to be. Usually those guys don't have the power to kind of offset that. So I think it's really hard to say, all right, let me be a better hitter now. It just didn't quite come together that way. So it's like, all right, well, if I'm going to be more of a fringy bat to ball guy or even below average, I better slug. And he added strength and he found a way to slug more, and that's allowed him to again being above average. Bigley here now, yep, I love it.
Speaker 2: All right. Let's keep on pushing here. Before we get to a minor league report, which is fun and includes a major league debut coming up in a matter of moments, we will take a quick break. Again, no peanuts for now, but we do have whoosh back in the fold. Let's talk about Kaylan Culpepper, who gets up. He is going to make his major league debut for the Minnesota Twins. Culpepper he officially got the call first round pick from a couple of years ago out of Kansas State. Culpeper with an eight to fifty ops, fourteen homers, seventeen bags and seventy four games for Triple A Saint Paul First broken by J. D. Cameron. Excited to see Colepeper get involved in a team that is in the wild card mix right now and in the division mix in the American League Central. What can Twins fans and baseball fans expect from a four first round pick in Kaitlyn Culpepper.
Speaker 3: A really well rounded, good ball player. And I think that's the exciting thing with Colepepper and and in some of the questions that I think were there when he was drafted twenty first overall, I think he's just continued to answer, like, you knew this was a guy that was going to be able to hit, and you knew he'd be a solid defender on the left side of the enfield. But some people thought maybe he'll move off off off of shortstop, maybe he'll even be a project vested second. I always thought he'd be at least an average shortstop, but now we're looking at a guy that looks like he could be an above average shortstop. He's so sound fundamentally is his footwork has gotten better, so now you've got some pretty good range here. The other question was how much power is this guy going to hit for? Because you know, Colepepper is not a huge dude. It's it's been more hit over power, but he's added impact in that regard to average ex velocity and north of ninety miles per hour and still has the good feel to hit that he's always had. The other aspect has been the hammers fastballs. How can he hit you know, against secondaries? And it's still something to be a work progress, but it's a lot better. He's just below a seven hundred ohops against non fastballs, which is fine when you're ops nearly a thousand against fastballs, and that's a lot better than he was the year before that. So there's so many things I think to be really encouraged by with Colepepper. And he's the classic player where the sum of his parts is just such a solid baseball player with good hit, you know, at least average power, now above average speed, and you know at least average defense at shortstop. Then that looks like it can be above average as well. Those are the type of players that when you're sputtering a little bit for a team that's clearly trying to win, now they've made some additions to Twins did at the deadline to try to bolster this team. They haven't won sense unfortunately. Colepepper is the type of guy that can come up there and give you quality at bats, you know, pretty quickly, and hopefully try to jolt this offense a little bit.
Speaker 2: And if you're asking where's he going to play? The answer shortstop. I know Byron Buxton's hurt right now, but brooks Lee's playing third for them, Royce Lewis has played a heck of a lot of first base for them as of late, and Ryan Kreidler has been there near everyday shortstop. So he's just going to spell Ryan Kreidler here. Kreidler probably better served as a bench bat and Kaylen Kulpepper are going to play shortstop nearly every day for the Minnesota Twins. He is up. Let's keep on talking about the best performers in Minor league baseball to this point. We went post All Star break, so starting about July, what was that the eighteenth ish, the seventeenth, eighteenth, nineteenth, I think right around that area, and we've got five bats for you, and we got four arms for you. The first bat that we want to highlight here is Blake Burke with the Biloxi Shuckers. He is a brewer prospect. He's a gargantuane human being that almost has thirty bags this year. But if you want to see a guy that hits tanks, this is your dude. He's lirting with thirty homers. Blake Burke in eighteen games since the All Star break three sixty eight with sixteen extra base hits, including ten homers, twenty three driven in, eight for nine in the stolen based department, and a thirteen hundred ops for Blake burn I.
Speaker 3: Love watching this guy hit, and there's some hit tool question, and I think he's continued to just shore that up and we've seen them just get better and better. But when when he is impacting the baseball, it is with so much violence and it's to all fields. He's got the pole side pop. But as he saw in the videos here for those watching on YouTube, he can get you the ball deep and just flick it the other way and it'll sail over you know, the left field wall. If you hang one, you could see a one fourteen one fifteen mile per hoor ev poll side and you know the Brewers were really encouraged by I think how Burke showed up to camp this year too, where he was his athletic, you know, and it was best shape of his life season. But like actually real with Burke, and I think you're seeing that translate into the athleticism too. Where is he a burner, No, he's always going to be more of an opportunistic based dealer, but now that opportunity is more abundant when you can move more quickly. Because he's gotten into better shape, he didn't that that didn't compromise any of the pop. He's an averagegxavosity of ninety three miles per hour. I watching this guy hit because it's violent, but it's controlled and it's in the air consistently, and he just fits the bill of what the Brewers have done a great job of identifying and developing, and I think this is going to be a fun power back for them for a long time. Max ev this year, by the way, Homer one hundred and sixteen miles per hour at twenty degrees. That's an absolute rocket jas.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, the Brewers did trade one of the hottest performers post All Star Break to the Saint Louis Cardinals and that Dustin May Jojo Romero deal. Josiah Ragsdale has been absolutely awesome. In seventeen games since the break. He's hitting three fifteen with eleven homers, fifteen driven in, He's five for six in the stolen based department, and he's got an OPS over twelve hundred. Josiah Ragsdale also homered in his first game as a Cardinal farm hand with Double A Springfield in San Antonio, And we were just running through this on the call of the guys with twenty homers and thirty bags this year, Josiah Ragsdale, Theo Gill one of the Rays, who is a top ten prospect in baseball, and Eric Hartman of the Atlanta Braves, who is probably at this point the Minor League player of the year. Yeah, for the Atlanta Braves and in minor league baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great company. And that's what happens when you take a speedy, flashy, defensive, slash and dash kind of guy and you find a way to get him to tap into impact. And that's just been this story with Ragsdale. Super deep contact point. When you're looking at his brief pro debut last year, and that comes with the territory of the more slash and dashy type of guys. Now using the ground so much better and catching the ball further out front is allowed him to elevate much more consistently, and in that it was a small sample, but it was north of a fifty percent groundball rate as a pro last year and this year he's cut that down by twenty percent. The bat speed was always there, but now he's really allowing it to eat by catching the ball in the right spot and at the right angles. And now you have this this exciting power speed defense combination. And with Ragsdale like this, this is just a scouting and development success for the Brewers and part of the reason why they were probably willing to trade him. But at the same time, this is a fun player to add to the system for the Cardinals, and I know we talked about them in the call when we broke down the deal, but it's just such a unique skill set where Okay, if the hit tool stalls out because there is some swing and miss when you look get like his first year at Iona he struck out twenty eight percent of the time, was much better the second year there struck out eighteen percent of the time. Makes the transfer over to Boston College struck out about twenty one percent of the time, which is fairly high for a college bat. Right, he had a total of fourteen homers Ragsdale did in one hundred and forty six collegiate games, and he has twenty homers this year already, So just shows you how much more impact this kid's getting into really patient approach. That's part of why he's striking out more. So he's got to find the balance of patient and passivity. But the contact rate is seventy four percents. Fine. If he's a fringy bat to ball guy with plus play discipline or even above average with now above average power, speed and defense, he's going to have a long career in the big league. So I think there's a fun get and a guy that I don't think is going off anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Mentioned Josiah Ragsdale, now of the Cardinals, one of three guys in minor league baseball this year with twenty or more home runs and thirty or more stolen bases. Eric Hartman of the Braves is another one, and Theo Gillan of the Rays is another one. And Theo Gillen, a top ten prospect in baseball, also makes the heat sheet because post All Star Break, Gillan has been absolutely ridiculous. Theo Gillen in sixteen games after the break, hitting over four hundred and four h three. He's twenty five for sixty two with four doubles, a triple, eight homers. That's thirteen extra base hits, nineteen driven in. He's walked fourteen times to nine punchouts. He's five to seven in the stolen base department. He's slugging nearly nine hundred, getting on base at a five to twenty clip, and it's a fourteen hundred ohps since the break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a top ten prospect in baseball, you know, without a doubt, and you kid, just the excitement around the skill set still room for more pop, which is the scary part. It's such an advanced approach for his age and what he's done at Double A for Gillin to just immediately be as good as he has been at Double A making that leap. It's the guy that missed out on some reps last year, right, it was only about seventy three games at low A. He's dealt with a little bit of a calf thing and starts the season at high A decimates that gets up to double A and really hasn't slowed a bit. He's lowered his strikeout right marginalie, increased the walk rate, and he's eight homers in thirty one contest there. It's remarkable. And even last night last night, the Marlins Double A affiliate had a no hitter with two outs in the ninth and Fio Gillen broke it up with a backside solo shot. He's just different right now. And when you look at the ability to hammer fastballs, it's in velocity in general three fifty seven bating average for his fastballs eleven thirty five. Oh psright, oh well, then what's the catch? What's he doing against spin? THREEA batting average nights three ops. Now, he could get a little bit rigid at times, so like I want to see a little bit more adjustability on the spin. What a nitpick on a twenty year old that's just absolutely destroying Baseball's with well above average really plus evs, solid contact traits, plus play, discipline, good speed, and the defense has come along in center. Remember this is a guy that was on the dirt as a prepster, has learned the outfield and continues to come along as a centerfielder.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's fun to nitpick a twenty year old. That means the twenty year old is pretty damn good. We've got a couple other hitters that we want to go over before four pitchers, and one of them was actually in that deal sending Adley Rutchman from Baltimore to Boston alongside Anthony Iinson. Iinsen was obviously the big ticket guy in that trade, and this guy might have been piece three or four. But India Zocar has been absolutely insane and a Zocar is one of the newest members of the Orioles Farm system. India z Ocar in fifteen games since the All Star Break, hitting four to twenty three with nine doubles, two triples, five homers. He's driven in twenty one in fifteen games since the break, and he's got a twelve sixty four ops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the guy that I think could make the trade really hurt. Like you knew you were going to have to part with an e incin and you know, like a headliner and pitching prospect for adli Andan. You knew you'd probably have to have a decent secondary piece in there too, And I think Witherspoon's going to iron some things out and be a solid, solid arm. But I think he's limited to a degree even ionsin I think I'm a little bit lower on relative to what you know some people have on him in terms of the ceiling. I think he's a high probability a number four starter maybe you know, can execute his way to being a middle rotation guy. A zo Car is the wild card where it's like, this guy could be anything from yeah, obviously could stall out and struggle with swing and miss and the upper levels, or he could be an all star. And you know, I think that's where as a I think he's a second piece in this deal, but as one of three pieces in the main pieces, in the prospect pieces in the deal, it's really exciting. A Zo Cars young, nineteen years old, Jerry's still out on center field. If he can stick there, then I mean that only elevates the profile. He's a good athlete, so he's gonna have every opportunity to and he's been challenged. You mentioned like he's doing this. He's going crazy in getting to hi a at such a young age, and when you're seeing some of the exit velocities that he's putting up when it's not this like out of control crazy swing, he's already exceeded one hundred and thirteen miles per hour EVS. I think this is a guy that you can have a really fun power speed, just just huge ceiling kind of projection for him, as long as the swing and myss doesn't creep into much as the seventy percent contact right, not bad with how much he's been pushed, but just something to monitor. Crazy bat speed, Really fun guy to watch, and I already love the field to hit in terms in terms of pulling the ball in the air and getting into that power.
Speaker 2: Last hitter we want to talk about here real quick is a Dodger. Sorry, Charles Daviland of the La Dodgers in Daveland. I mean, this guy is it's he seems like, I don't want to say the next Sirota, but he is breaking out in an absolutely humongous way. Charles Davalan in fifteen games since the break for Hi a great Lakes, hitting four point fifty with eight doubles, a triple, six homers, sixteen driven in he's walked seven times, he's caid seven times, and he's got a fourteen fifty two OPS in his last fifteen games. Charles Davlan has played ninety nine minor league baseball games. He played eight with low A Rancho Cucamonga last year. In eight games, he was seventeen for thirty four. That's a five hundred batting average, and in ninety one games so far this year, in his first full pro season with hi A Great Lakes, he's hitting two ninety eight with twenty six doubles eighteen bombs. He's sixteen for eighteen in the stolen based department. He's walked more than he's punched out. He's got a nine to fifty two OPS and in ninety nine minor league games ninety nine hitting three point fifteen with a nine eighty OPS at a four to twe OBP. He's got twenty nine doubles, nineteen homers, nineteen bags, fifty seven walks and fifty one strikeouts. This is a top blank prospect in baseball at the update.
Speaker 3: I think he's got to be top fifty. I just want to see him in Double A, like please, I want to see him challenging double, but I don't have any reason to believe that it's not going to be more of the same for this guy. It is, and I think the most underrated part of Dablon is that he gives you more power than you'd expect for a player of his archetype. Right, this is a plus back to ball, smaller guy at like five to nine, but he's got an average exabastev eighty nine miles an hour. It's a hard hit rate north of forty percent, and he's been hammering all pitch types. So what's the hole to poke if he's slugging? The other would just be defense, and I think he's actually looked fine. He probably ends up in a corner, but I think he's gonna be a solid defender in a corner, and they're giving him still some run and center, and who knows, maybe he can progress into being serviceable out there. But he is so pure at the plate. Ninety one percent is on contact, right, He's not going to chase, and he hits the ball harder than you'd expect. This is such a safe offensive profile. It's going to be a big leaguer and probably a pretty down good one.
Speaker 2: Dude, he is absolutely insane offensively. Those are our five hitters. Now, let's pivot to the four pitchers that we want to go over here, and one of them was acquired by the Washington Nationals via trade a couple of days ago. He was one of four players that came back for Foster Griffin and Josh Hartle has been outstanding since the break. In four starts, Hardle twenty two innings of work, eight hits in twenty two innings, two runs, twenty six punch outs to five walks. Hitters were hitting one sixteen against him over his last four turns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about on the call up. I just think this is a pitch ability lefty who's really starting to settle into, you know, what works for him. It also helps that he's throwing the ball harder, and I think that's not a coincidence either. He was a guy that is always been low nineties and he still is. But when you're averaging ninety one versus averaging ninety two as he has over the last thirty days, I think being able to just get up and out touching a four or five here and there when he needs to, I think that makes a big difference. It's a really unique fastball where I would I don't have spin efficiency readily available. I'd venture to guess that the spin efficiency is really low, and so it creates this unique look where it's like only nine inches of vert negative eight horizontal but twenty five hundred RPMs. It's this really weird fastball. I think the harder he throws it, the more deceptive and strange it can be. But I think he's just wondering how to execute because it's it's a very weird kind of I would say spin orientation on even some of his pitches, and I think he's leveraging that more and more, which pitches or hitters not reacting to as well, you know, which work better against lefties versus rieties. And this is the guy that I think, as he fully figures out everything that's going to work for him as a six to six southpaw that can fill up the zone, seems like a high probability back into the rotation starter and I think he's really showing that now this isn't clicking for him as a college arm in Hia, this clicking for him as a college arm at Double A.
Speaker 2: Did Mike Elias Cook in the sixth round last year with Caden Hunter. Caden Hunter has been unbelievable post All Star break Caden Hunter in the Oriole system Hunters. So far in four appearances, three of which starts, twenty and two thirds innings, two earned runs, he's cade thirty two and walk four. Opponents are hitting a buck thirty against him. But the big thing that jumps out, Yeah, he's on a hot stretch right now. It's kind of par for the course this year. This guy through twenty three innings in low A, forty five innings in high A, now thirteen in double A, and in eighty one innings of work, he's got a one to four ERA. He's kate one hundred and twenty two guys in eighty one innings. Sixth round pick out a usc last year by Baltimore.
Speaker 3: They we talked about this too, like you could say what you want about Olaia in some of the shortcomings in recent years. But this front office man middle to late round arms, they snipe them. And here's another one. This is a plus heater, easy plus heater lefty that's throwing the ball at ninety five miles an hour with nineteen inches avert from a standard release height that's going to play slightly above average extension, and he's just overwhelming hitters with that fastball. It's so much fun. It's just kind of slight crossfire too that I think only helps it play up, and then it's a pretty well rounded mix off of that. The changeup has great vertical separation and really stays similar on the horizontal side, so I think really is tough for hitters to separate from, and it started to generate a lot of whiff. As he's found a more consistent feel for it, he's going to need to just be in the zone with it a little bit more. He's got the gyro slider and the curveball. But really I think the big reason why Hunter is dominating is you have a lefty with an overwhelming fastball, so the secondaries are going to need to come along a little bit more. But when you can overwhelm with the heater like that, it gives you such a strong foundation, especially from the left side, and with the way that he can kind of get lower in terms of this crossfire slightly horizontal release, this guy's gonna be I think a monster at least against lefties and Hunter's a top one hundred candidate as well, because anytime you have that fastball foundation, I'm excited to see how the secondaries continue to come along. But the shapes are already kind of there.
Speaker 2: A couple of guys breaking out in the Brave Farm system this year, and that could make the deadline or lack there of equality deadline even more frustrating for Braves fans. But Ethan Bagwell is one of those breakout arms this year. Ethan Bagwell is twenty years old. He was a sixth round pick in twenty four out of high school in Illinois. No relation to Jeff Bagwell, but Ethan Bagwell. In four starts since the All Star Break twenty four and a third innings of four run baseball, He's punched out twenty four and walked three. Opponents are hitting a buck seventy against him. And Bagwell, as a twenty year old in Loway and High, has already thrown over one hundred innings, punched down one hundred and two to twenty eight walks this year. Bagwell just another good arm in that Brave system.
Speaker 3: Really difficult Matt like East West, It's a tough look. He's basically low low three quarters. It's a four point eight foot release height. Remind you that's a foot more than a foot lower than the average MLB release hight. And from that, I mean you figure the lower you get, the more horizontal your stuff's typically going to go, because you're going on the side of the ball than behind the ball. Right, but he's still able to kind of flash enough of a little bit of a four seemer at the top, which I think really gets hitter's uncomfortable because everything horizontally is crazy. He throws a sweeper, and there's like variations of it. I think it's like a sweeping curveball and then kind of a sweeper with more ride, and that is two different looks. I think the sweeping curveball can back leg left, he's more The sweeper with more ride is just a nightmare. I think right on right he's got the cutter to bridge. It's a really fun mix from a week you're at angle that I think is going to be very fascinating. It's not like he's throwing it at eighty nine miles an hour, which a lot of guys end up doing with that well, he's averaging ninety three and he succeeded ninety five. So this is an interesting arm to watch and at six four to two thirty sturdy Bill two, this could be another emergent arm in the Brave system. And to your point, bigeras dy've emergent bats, they've emergent arms, and they kept all of them. Then we'll see what happens later on. But just seems like a bit of a surprise with how many emergent players they have.
Speaker 2: They got seventy wins, though they've won nine in a row or eight in a row. I mean, at the end of the day, they could just be a battering ram with a really good system and they're trying to do their Dodger impression. Last arm that we want to talk about here is a guy that I had never heard of before, Bryce Mayor, who is an astro prospect sixteenth round in twenty twenty four out of the University of Missouri. He's twenty four years old. Mayor last year was in low a HIA and double A and he threw to an ERA over four. But Mayor was a strikeout artist last year and this year in sixty nine innings he's got a two six ERA and double A and in sixty nine innings of work, He's punched out one hundred and in three starts. Since the All Star break, Bryce Mayor has worked seventeen scoreless innings with twenty six k's and four walks. What's this guy's deal.
Speaker 3: It's amazing seeing him lock in the command because I would have said that's the one area where he really just needed to shore it up a little bit. It's just been a theme between the two episodes of what we've talked about today. A lot of low release guys haven't success, and it's just such a unique look. When you can combine the low release with plus extension, that's where it's like, oh man, good luck. Obviously Miz does that the best with the highest velocity, but when you're getting low and you can get out there, it's unique and rushing hitters. And that's what you get from Meyer. It's seven feet of extension, and then you're also getting a five point two foot release height and from that release hight tons of run and rye. Remember the lower that your release sit, the harder it is to induce vertical break, and he's getting seventeen inches of induced vertical break from a five two release site. I would guess that the standard you know, average IVB is probably two inches to three inches less than that, and of course the average extension is going to be half a foot less than that or more so. Already unique on the fastball, and then he's got that riding sweeper as well, a nasty two plane curveball, and then the cutter and change up, so you have the fastball set in the tone and then all these pitches that he can mix in afterwards. And it just seems like of late he's found a much more consistent feel for it, especially just leaning into the fastball slider combo more and has resulted in less walks. We'll see, like if the Astros are are desperate for some help pitching wise, no reason. Maybe I've admired, you know in the PCL if he keeps throwing strikes at the clip that he's throwing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was your minor league report on five hitters and four pitchers Pavena in preview. When we come back, But one more quick woosh. One of the more bizarre happenings in baseball came with the Lake elsinor Storm? Are they still called the Lake elsinor Storm? There's a lot of changes. Yeah, they should still be like the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes are now the Ontario Tower buzzers, like, there's just a lot changing in Inland California.
Speaker 3: I just don't Is that what private equity's doing to us?
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, Big minor league baseball right, never thought big minor league baseball would be a thing. But Nick Pavetta on rehab the other day had one of the more bizarre happenings. This is from Marty Caswell on Twitter. Paveta throws a pitch and he's walking off like he just struck out the side, but no, it was I think a two to two that missed low and Nick Pavetta immediately started walking towards the first base dugout after throwing a pitch on a rehab assignment for San Diego, and he walked all the way down the dugout steps, into the tunnel and into the clubhouse. Here Pavetta took himself out of the game. He clearly felt something snag on his rehab. Apparently nothing structural came of that, but they are pausing his rehab here and this could have some serious financial implications on Nick Pavetta, do you have the language in front of you here, because yeah, his contract it's pretty funky.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: And also the interesting thing is he threw a bullpen the next day, threw a twenty to thirty pitch bullpen the next day, And I mean, I don't I don't want to guess too too much, but I do wonder if that's part of him trying to kind of push through it and get back because you know of the implications on the contract, so I want to make sure I have this right. And it's unfortunate. Paveta has just been you know, riddled with injury, and it sucks because when he's been on the mound, he's been really, really darn good. But if you remember, it was that fifty five million dollar deal over forty years and kind of in a classic AJ Preller fashion, multiple player options and you're just like leveraging yourself so hard, but Preller doesn't care. But there was some unique conditions to this because of the injury history with Paveta that if he is on the IL for one hundred and thirty days, that player option converts into a club option. And this is where it gets tight because if Paveta is not off the il by the twenty second that would be the one hundred and thirty day mark. So this by you know, MLB Trade Rumors, is a fantastic job of laying all of this out. And this was Anthony Franco, who I've been reading this stuff there for long before we've been doing anything on the media side publicly. So this is this is fascinating to me because it's a unique contract structure. It puts Paveta on a spot there. It's just like, you know, I just want to see the guy healthy. He's so good when he's on the mountain. You don't want to see him push through something and create another issue, right Like, sometimes you have an elbow issue and then the shoulder compensates. You could you could give yourself a shoulder issue, so like, and I don't know if it felt just more they said it was more tightness. But the padres are shutting it down right now. I know some people and I know there's been some instances in the past where people have questioned, you know, Proer's motives on some of these types of things. I think it makes a lot of sense to shut a guy down who walked off the mound in a way that you thought maybe it was like very, very bad. But I'm just operating under the assumption that you know, he's out till the twenty second and it flips into a club option. It becomes really fastic because I still think you pick it up at fourteen and see what happens. But it does make things a lot different for Nick Povetics Souse. I also think if he's not feeling good and he thinks he might get surgery in the offseason, he of course would be opting into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it certainly does make things really really weird and curious to see which way they go. Obviously, you walk the tightrope of trying to do right by the guy, but also, you know, trying to financially optimize your team, especially when they're going to try to resign Morohane and they've got guys that you know are getting deeper into arbitration and deeper into control and all that stuff. So I don't know, it's bizarre, but this kind of sent us down the rabbit hole of other weird contract structures that I think are kind of unknown or underreported, Like the one that comes up all the time is the Julio Rodriguez one, and that's more award based. But Luis Castillo, who obviously just got traded from the Mariners to the White Sox, that's another really interesting contract, and that was injury based, So Paveta, it was injury laden based on incentives and not really incentives. Just dropped the mic overall control here. But Luis Castillo, this is the weird part of this. There's a twenty twenty eight vesting option at twenty five million dollars for Luis Castillo. He makes twenty four million dollars next year, and the White Sox are on the hook for that. If Castillo misses one hundred and thirty days from twenty twenty five to twenty twenty seven due to ucl injury, the twenty five million dollar player option becomes a five million dollar club options. So this thing for Paveta is not entirely unique. It's just like there are some drastic examples of this weird contract structure existing in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's funny because the Castillo one, it's it's awesome to see him, you know. Ultimately now end up just becoming one of the more durable and consistent arms that we've seen in baseball over the last handful of years, because it seemed to be there was some concern about availability for that to be baked into the contract there. So yeah, that's one where I'm interested to see too, because if Luis Castillo throws pretty well, let's say pretty well, and you go into next year where he's going pretty well, one if we lose games, how does that work with the vesting option? Does that become like pro rated? You know like that do you is it like proportioned?
Speaker 2: And you wonder?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, And then the other question is operating under the sumption that we have a full season, Let's say he is incredibly mid do you start to taper the innings down so you don't have a vesting at twenty five?
Speaker 2: Like? But the thing five era, the weird thing is the contract stipulation that that nests like it requires it being a UCL injury. He's got to miss days with a UCL injury. It's not like any other innings thing. Like, it's not an innings criteria, it's a UCL injury criteria. So yeah, if this guy is just like sitting because he's not very good, he still has a twenty five million dollar player option.
Speaker 3: So that okay, So it's twenty twenty eight vesting option vests with one hundred and eighty innings in twenty twenty seven. Then if Castillo misses one hundred and thirty plus days and twenty twenty five to or between twenty twenty five and twenty twenty seven due to UCL injury, this becomes a five million dollar team option. So one of those things who things are separate or to get tether together. But the other crazy part about that is, and guy, I feel horrible talking about this, but like he could tear his ac, yeah, or he could have a shoulder injury and it wouldn't matter in the contract. He would still be fine. It's only if it's a UCL injury, which is very specific. I don't know if we've ever seen that, Like Pavetta's was just IL, Luis Castillo's specifically UCL, which is nuts.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It makes no sense to me why they would do that, Like, wouldn't you just make it IL as a whole? But oh, well, Man and the Mariners, like it's not unique to Seattle, who obviously handed that out. But Julio Rodriguez, like his contract gets really really weird over the course of the next handful of years, Like he's got a club option at eighteen million and twenty thirty. It was a seven year, one hundred and nineteen million dollar deal that he signed like base, and there was two hundred and nine million dollars in terms of base guarantee, but the total max out for Julio Rodriguez could have been four hundred and seventy million dollars if you want to look at spot track like a spot Track obviously does an amazing job of working through this. There's a twenty thirty club option that must be decided on after twenty eight and it's based on MVP votes. So if he got four top ten MVP votes, like at top ten MVP votes across four years, it's an eight year, two hundred and sixty million dollar contract that it would morph into. And then you've got like these weird team options here, and then there are player options off of the club option. Have you been able to properly wrap your brain around Julio Rodriguez a contractor. No.
Speaker 3: I try to digest it like piece by piece, because it is the most I don't even know how how long do you think it took them to hash this all out.
Speaker 2: I think at at some point someone just said, you know what, screw it, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's just do it. The sliding scale of how many top ten votes and how much that will change the option, you know, to whether it's like zero top ten votes is eight years two hundred million, two top ten votes, it's eight years two hundred forty million, four top ten votes, it's eight years two hundred and sixty million. One win plus one top five vote or three top five votes is eight years two hundred eighty million. Two wins or four top five votes is ten years, three hundred and fifty million, Like, holy crap. But I honestly think that structure is actually fantastic because it either way the team has protection, where like the if it is a disaster, right, Julio's a disappointment, you're not paying as much as you would have thought. But also Julio has the safety net of he's guaranteed, you know, still a nine figure salary if catastrophe happens. But then you also have the other side where it's like, oh, you know, the Mariner's got a steal, he's won an MVP, he won two well, they're gonna have to fork up still enough for that, which they'd be happy to if Julio's winning MVPs or is like placing in the top five on a handful of vacation. So I think teams mostly just don't go down this this Rabba hole. Like I think it's a good structure that is the most fair if they would be willing to do it.
Speaker 2: So since he signed this deal, he's got a top five MVP finish and a top ten MVP finished. He finished fourth in AL MVP voting in twenty three and sixth in all and ALM voting last year. We'll see if Julio gets any down ballot MVP votes this year. It doesn't look like he's trending that way with his seven forty oh ps, but if he flirts with thirty thirty and really turns it on in the final two months, then we shall see. But yeah, fascinating with Paveto, with Castillo and with Julio. We're gonna wrap with the weekend preview. Of course, it is presented by our friends at Picket Sports. Excited to walk through these handful of games as we look forward to the weekend. Here, let's start tonight here at six forty pm Eastern Time, It'll be Blue Jays and Phillies in Philly, and that starting pitching matchup tonight in Philadelphia, it's gonna be Jose Soriano making his Blue Jay debut against ten and two Zach Wheeler at the Bank.
Speaker 3: What say you, yeah, I'm gonna always go at the side of Zach Wheeler at the Bank. I'm excited for like Soriano and in a Blue Jay's uniform. I think they're going to adjust some usage then and maybe there could be a bit of an adjustment period for him in doing that, or Hole just immediately shove with it. But wheel Are at the Bank. You gotta always roll with that, especially against this Jay's offense right now, you.
Speaker 2: Would think so, no doubt about that. The other one that we want to go over here is raise Mariners in Seattle. Drew Rasmus, who's been throwing like an Alcy Young contender against Logan Gilbert, who has been hot and cold at points for the Mariners this year.
Speaker 3: Rasmussen has just been unbelievable. Unbelievable. Another one where it's like you got Rasmussen against this lineup, hit or miss I'm going to take a really good arm against an offense I don't trust. And Rasmussen right now is thirteen consecutive scoreless between his last two starts, nineteen strikeouts, two walks, and now those against Cleveland and Chicago.
Speaker 2: If Seattle doesn't start winning this weekend, when are they going to.
Speaker 3: That's that's the big question. Man. The wonderful thing for them is that they still have time. But I mean it's but all of a sudden, it's three games, turns it once once you get outside of three games, once it starts to get to four and then five. Yeah, that's where it's like it's like slipped away. Three is still in that like reach. Once it gets outside of three, I start to get a little uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about that. And you've got to get really hot very quickly. And we're under fifty games to go at this point of the MLB season. Let's push to Saturday. Here. What an ace off we've got in the Bronx. That'll be Chris Sale who was pushed back a handful of days to take on Garrett Cole and Braves. Yankees. Braves are the hottest team in baseball right now. Not named the bust In Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Cole has been throwing the ball well of late, and it just seems like the more he's getting further away from that Tommy John surgery, as typically is for anybody, that the more he's starting to feel like himself. Last two starts, he's only allowed one earned run and eleven and two thirds innings. But I still think the Yankees are gonna have some issues against leftist last Garcia. Your new edition can help you on this one. I think Chris Hale shoves and pushed back and things can feel a little b arrested. I think he's going to absolutely shove in this one.
Speaker 2: I'll go Braves three h five first pitch in the Bronx four to ten, first pitch in Miami. I'm not going to ask you for a winner. I'm going to ask you for average fastball velocity between the two. Walbert Urania gets the ball for the Angels against Sandy al Contra, who hunts a franchise record two and a third innings, and he passes Ricky in Alasko for the most innings in the history of the Marlins franchise.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. I knew I knew the Alasko was there for a while. Like, I trust me, I watched plenty of Ricky in Alaska growing up. But it's just it's crazy that he I forget how long he was there.
Speaker 2: He's got all these records, man, Like Sandy just broke his punch out record. He broke his quality start record. I think in Alasko had eight years in like four years in a Marlin's uniform, in.
Speaker 3: A couple that were really good, and then a couple that were not as good, but then a couple and then most in between that were really just solid uh Urania. It's funny because like that you look at the way he throws and everything, and it's like he eat it's such high octane velo. And I think you also think that the sinker and he's more sinker change up too, Like he doesn't mix in the slider as much as I think Sandy has now gotten comfortable doing. But like, if I'm labert Urania, I'm looking at Sandy out contra and it's like I'm looking up to that guy, and like that's what I want to continue to grow and be. So I wonder if there's gonna be a little bit of that there. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Urania has like a looking up to Sandy type of thing going for me. And I think they go toe to toe really well here. I think average Vlow's ninety seven point eight, and I think both have really nice starts.
Speaker 2: I dig that all right. Seventy ten Eastern Time in Texas seven to fifteen. Pardon Kyle Bradish and the Baltimore Orioles against Jake de Gram and the Rangers.
Speaker 3: The de Gram trade stuff is wild. I wonder how I want to see how he just bounces back off that having to invoke the veto. But Bradish has started to settle in as well. These two teams, man, I don't know who's going to show up ever. Ever, every single time that I go to watch, I don't know what team I'm gonna see. Bradish was fantastic for about a month and then last two starts have been duds. But the Rangers can't get out of their own way either. Really, overall, they've been a little bit better over the last couple of days. I'll go to grom at home, I'll go Rangers.
Speaker 2: All three you one more that we don't have a screenshot for Brandon fought at home against Yoshinoba Yamamoto and the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: So on the surface, it's just like, okay, you go with Yamamoto and.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers, But thought's been gross.
Speaker 3: Fought has been fantastic since coming back up, and the d bex just they rise to the occasion with the Dodgers. They don't really blink with them, especially at home. It's going to be a big crowd. Yes, good amount of Dodger fans, but big crowd.
Speaker 2: And Peyton just mentioned. Peyton just messaged big game. Brandon fought, no doubt, Yeah, big.
Speaker 3: Game, Brando and fought. I'm gonna there's gonna be a couple games where I think they make it close and really fight. I think this is the one where the the d back surprise you. I think they pull one out here.
Speaker 2: Two more for you on Sunday two ten on the South side of Chicago, Guardians in White Sox Joey Cantillo against Davis Martin.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, this is a fun one. This is this is a good matchup too. This is a big series. It's a really big series. I can't tell a little bit shaky last time out. If I remember correctly, I'll go I'll go Davis Martin and the White Sox, assuming the bullpen's recovered by then.
Speaker 2: Okay, And then at four o five pm Eastern time, Tigers Giants in San Francisco. It doesn't seem interesting from the jump, but Troy Melton's been unbelievable and Mean Webb throws it home.
Speaker 3: The Tigers are quietly playing. I think overall, when you look at the the over the last month and at in change, their offense has been pretty good and pitching pretty well, and Melton's been a big reason why. I mean, he has been fantastic. I think that some of the names that there's some of the guys that, like you remember from your minor league broadcasting days. It's like, oh, I haven't heard that name in a while. Yeah, they're in there for the Giants right now. I just I don't I don't have tough matchup for some of those guys. I'm gonna go Tigers in that one.
Speaker 2: Cool. Also another fun matchup on Sunday and Dodgers Diamondbacks. Erod gets the ball against Justin Robleski, so that's really fun. I'm not gonna ask you to pick that one.
Speaker 3: But just in a battle to regress his first Yeah, but it's like I neither kind of good neither. I think Robleski is going to pitch better though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's what we got. Anything else from you? Hell of a show.
Speaker 3: That was awesome. It was a lot of fun. Felt like we got on a lot of topics. That's it. We got some fun stuff going next week and uh yeah, well I'll let you guys know. I'm trying to figure out if I'm gonna be able to get to the future, the Futures game, jeez, the the Field of Dreams game, minor league game and then a big league game. But now they just took Culpepper away from one of the minor league teams that'd be playing there, So now it would be really fun to get out there. We'll see. But regardless, fun week ahead on the JV Show.
Speaker 2: Huge thanking to Peyton Genus, big thank you to arm Leyton, and I'm Jack McMullen saying so long, have a good weekend. We'll talk to you on Sunday night with The Just Baseball Show.