Speaker 1: The Boys. No, no, I don't want to do that. I don't want to do it like that. I don't want to do it like that. Welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. I am your host, Will Compton, the boy tail Lawan. He's out in Canada. We'll get to that in a second. What's imperative, What is important right now is to shout out the truck of the summer. To shout out the truck of Busting with the Boys. The Silverado. It Silverado Summer Boys. Think of all the possibilities, all road adventures, to do it yourself projects, and the hardcore work that goes into driving a Chevy Silverado. The Silverado has the capability and technology to make this summer your best one yet. With nine different Silverado miles to choose, models to choose from this football season, engines that range from the powerful Turbomax with a six point two liter V eight and the Duramax diesel, you can count on Chevy power and performance to get anything done. And like many of you, the boys, we've been hitting the road a lot lately. We will be hitting the road this fall for our Fall Tailgate Tour, going all the different colleges.
Speaker 2: Game recognizes game.
Speaker 1: I know when I stepped foot in South Carolina and Georgia, in Nebraska and Notre Dame, all the places that we're thinking about going that are on the list, and the list is not out yet, but they are on the list. We will be driving our Chevy Silverado, and we know there's gonna be a lot of Chevy Silverado drivers out there. Head over to Chevy dot com and check out the Silverado and all the Chevy trucks. It has the official truck of busting with the boys. Now, that's the good news. The bad news, But I'm gonna feed you back again with some good news. The bad news is the boy Taylor is still vacated. It's still evacuated from his spot in Canada where they're out visiting his wife's family. They're at a resort right now. They had to push out because of all the wallfires going on. Also, my wife is not back yet from California. I'm sitting here, it's Tuesday. Flag got canceled on Sunday, Monday. I think she's getting the fly out now. She's gonna land it like one in the morning tonight. But she isn't back yet from California. From all the floods and the hurricanes going on there, the West Coast is in a blender. I heard there was an earthquake out there. The West Coast is in an absolute blender. However, the good news is that they will be able to do be stranded. Is they will be able to stream Paramount Plus. It's almost that time of year and football season is right around the corner. In Paramount plus is once again you're home to stream the NFL on CBS all season long. Paramount Plus is our sponsor for this training camp touring all the interviews you've been seeing with Austin Eckler, Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, soon to be Derwin James, and next week.
Speaker 2: Coach Josh McDaniels.
Speaker 1: But you can stream Paramount Plus on any device at home or on the go and follow the road to Las Vegas to watch the boys like Josh Allen and Joe Burrow try to dethrone the defending champion Patrick Mahomes. You can watch all your local games live every Sunday. Here's where it gets nice, Here's where it gets good for two dollars and fifty cents a month for twelve months. Do that math it's twenty four then you got to add it sounds like twenty seven dollars.
Speaker 2: That's right off the top.
Speaker 1: Visit paramount plus dot com slash NFL to start your free trial today. The offer ends on September twentieth. Stream the NFL on CBS Live on Paramount Plus. I think one thing to note, we've gotten a lot of There's been a lot of talk, been at a lot of things circulating on the internet due to the Christ's Stefano interview last week. As far as adulton Jerseys, I want to say we are a pro Jersey At least fifty percent of us is a pro Jersey podcast.
Speaker 3: I am all about more than yeah I'm talking.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking the two you're just putting the two hosts down the middle. I know Taylor has had some takes before and he's got a stance on this. It slipped in that Christ to Stefano interview. He's like, we have a thing. And when I was watching that clip the other day, I'm thinking, oh fuck, I got looped into this thing, Like that's not that's not how I that's not how I operate with the fans. I'm all about the verbal abuse that happens everywhere. I'm all about the venting. I'm all about yelling at the TV. I'm all about living through your favorite team, your favorite teams and favorite players. I'm also about wearing their jerseys. And now it makes me want to start buying jerseys up. All right, we gotta start, you know what I mean, We got to get It almost makes you want to get involved in the culture more because there is no football without the fans. I'm not doing that as a political take either, Like I love all of the fucking arguing, the banter, the chat, the group chats, the talking shit it.
Speaker 2: I love it all, dude, I'm all about it.
Speaker 1: So I just want to make that clear the Stefano interview by thinking, well, why did you say anything on the Stepano interview? That was our second interview that day. We were traveling all like we were traveling all week long. As a little that interview was like a little like, you know, it got long winded, it got a little At that point, you're kind of just you're kind of sitting there, You're glad Chris is doing all the talk, and you're you're glad he's funny and keeping you entertained and everything like that, or you're just kind of sitting back and letting it happen. And that was not a hill, Like we've had that conversation before. I'm busting with the boys about the Jerseys and everything else. That wasn't the timing where it was like, okay, we need to intervene here and and step in, however, all to say what percentage eighty five percent? Eighty five percent pro Jersey podcast over here? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe more, maybe more.
Speaker 2: Maybe more, maybe more.
Speaker 1: I know our fan base makes it like we're ninety nine percent pro Jersey on this podcast. I hate that the big Guy can't be here because I'm sure he would interject and have a and have a hopefully a newsstance as well. But you kind of hate talking without the big guy here. So we could go back and forth about it. However, I needed to make this fucking clear that we are your boy.
Speaker 2: We rocked the Jerseys. We rocked the Jerseys.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be also see the club got three point three million views.
Speaker 2: I know that's what made me think, like, oh man, this.
Speaker 3: Is five hundred likes on Twitter, which he got a lot of hate.
Speaker 2: A lot of hate rightfully, so though, yeah, we do love.
Speaker 3: I even had a tweet if they kind of popped on me right now.
Speaker 2: About the hell anybody who has to take walking out?
Speaker 3: And I was saying it, not directing the Taylor or Chris. I just like get irt pretty much when Taylor says these things, he.
Speaker 1: Said it before, like it's been a conversation before on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Even when Tennessee beat Alabama, he was like tweeting at me, like this guy thinks he played and like he thinks he actually.
Speaker 4: Won the game.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I know the fans are just as crucial to the sport as the players.
Speaker 2: Obviously that with.
Speaker 3: A grain of sault there, but yeah, man, it's like chill and can't even buy fucking jerseys, Like, how are they gonna purchase a jersey?
Speaker 2: You don't have the purchasing power. They ain't got the allest dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the adult's got to be the consumer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, people are like, oh, we'll see whya. He's covering his ass doing damage control and everything like that. It was more so like you know, when you get lumped in based on somebody else saying something, you gotta you gotta, you gotta stand up to speak for yourself before you get lumped into this.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: We're guilty, but I'm guilty by association. Who knows how much damage that clip's done everywhere on all the platforms. I just had to I just had to get out there on Twitter and be like, Hey, I need to clear my name. Your boy is a pro. I'm all ball, I'm all fandom, I'm all all of it, dude. I've been obsessed with it since a wee little pup. Good news, this intro will be fast today. Derwin James sits with us. Derwin is fucking all time. If you don't know who the guy is, you should know one of the best safeties in the game. Was voted the number thirty player overall in the NFL Top one hundred players.
Speaker 2: Uh he was. We asked him about that.
Speaker 1: We asked him about being ranked the best safety in the NFL amongst the peers. Battling injuries. I know he he tore his knee right, He had a bad injury that he had to bounce back from you. And you could just tell this guy he's a very he's a very focused player. He's very intentional with the way he moves and everything else, and you're gonna really like hearing from him.
Speaker 2: He doesn't do a whole lot of interviews. He's not out there a lot.
Speaker 1: Their PR person was saying like, Oh, it was really cool how much he he was opening up and being himself and everything else.
Speaker 2: But we asked him about that.
Speaker 1: We asked him about those things, his defining play of his career being a box safety versus coverage safety, his worst losses. We obviously had to dive into the Walker last year when the Jaguars came back down what was it, twenty seven to nothing? Four nothing? Go to the main thing. And then also his growth as a leader. I know he's you can tell when you ask about that, his eyes kind of like light up and you understand that he was really again, real intentional about how he was moving throughout that progress and making that growth and development as the leader and everything else and being the position he's in.
Speaker 2: And you can tell he loves playing, uh.
Speaker 1: For the Chargers, you can just tell, like sitting with all those guys, you can tell that these guys want to bring you know, a second place over all in the division for the for the AFC West Bind the Raiders more good news. There's not gonna bell, There's not gonna all. There's not gonna be all the ad reads boys. This is a nice little bonus episode. Bye by the boys, for the boys, for all the fans.
Speaker 2: You can see.
Speaker 1: We got all of our sponsors sitting up here right now. I took a nice little morning too this morning. There's nothing like uh, plant source fibers, cleaning out your colon. We have our whistle pick that you guys see, will give one word for each the ten years of flex. The Busting means football and the Rye their six year ride. It means Friday rideay twisted tea. You guys know what they represent America football and spooktober and then body armor the official drink of busting with the boys. They play offense when it comes to your hydration and when you have a name like body armor, it's also a water built for defense. Body armor defends you against all the bullshit and all the pussies of the world.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But we will go ahead and jump into this episode with Derwin James again.
Speaker 2: It's an awesome interview.
Speaker 1: If you're watching right now on YouTube, if you happen to be a Chargers fan, who's came back for a second time. Don't mind hit the don't don't don't be against hitting the subscribe button for the boys, dropping the comments, whatever, whatever kind of comments you want, you want. The comments are literally the best thing on the fucking Internet. I think Twitter comments are one. YouTube comments are sneaking up there, stick out there. I haven't been in the TikTok world a whole lot. Do those are those funds are crazy.
Speaker 3: It's like you almost watch a video and then immediately go to comments because you're either looking for someone to identify with or looking for a ridiculous statement. We need to do a tear dark so and best comments on the Internet, best comment platforms, So that.
Speaker 1: Would be solid. But I do need to get a little bit more engaged with that. TikTok I does seem like there. That's a big one.
Speaker 2: Instagram.
Speaker 1: Instagram's fun too, but not not like fucking yeah, not like not like Twitter, not like YouTube, man, especially when you got the good basis. I know we've talked about it before, but shange else is the dogs out there under his Like you go under any podcast of the Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast and you just you get in those comments like it's the best but uh, without further adode Derwin James, subscribe to Bust with the Boys wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Big hugs, tiny kisses.
Speaker 4: How you feel like your body, like your mentally, like how you you feel different in a different space, being lighter fifty pounds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh like mentally I look in the mirror and I don't hate what I see. That's that's mentally better. But like from like a body standpoint, like besides my knee, like everything feels good. Yeah, like my my necker is a little bit, but like get it up the day, like you feel all that weight off your body.
Speaker 6: It's it's tough.
Speaker 5: I can't wait to experience my first fall, like legitly, like even right now August like flying out somewhere, it's just crazy to me.
Speaker 6: Then October is gonna hit.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be able to go do folloween with my kids and rip around and not have to worry about who I'm playing or what does this guy's move.
Speaker 6: Do or anything like that. It's just cool.
Speaker 2: It's cool, real definitely, when you're in it, you're just in it.
Speaker 1: But when you get to where like your weekends and everything else is free and you're not, like, you know, when the Boys would lose, you know, you got to go on Monday and you're like, fuck, well, you know, what's what's the vibe going to be like today? And when all that performance based driven the industry that we're in every day, it's done and over with. You're kind of like, fuck, I mean, wait tomorrow, go get go get something, Go get something of the coffee shop, live live awesome.
Speaker 5: But even when you go through injuries, like like I'm gonna ask you about your injuries in the beginning, like you make a Pro Bowl your rookie year and two years in a row, like get injured in camp, right, yeah, And that had to be like especially that early getting a Pro Bowl being like, oh, I'm the man already in the NFL, like a dream has been made. And then you go into that like that second time getting hurt in camp, you had to be down in something like fuck.
Speaker 4: But it definitely was humbling experience. The first time I went down, it was kind of like, you know, it's part of the game, you know, it comes with it. But then the second time, when you know a week away from this and that one kind of hit me a little deeper. It was a little you know, and then I realized I wouldn't be returning for the season again, and I was just like, man, like what do I have to do? Like what am I doing wrong? I just go to question and stuff. But after all that, man, I locked in and you know, like you said, get back to the basis, get back what you used to, getting routine and get ready to go.
Speaker 1: Man, how is it like with the with the Chargers that we were kind of talking a little bit before and how they're kind of like there's more use than everything else. So it seems like they take care of you guys during training camp. Yeah, they kind of some of the old school mentality ways that are out there.
Speaker 4: We definitely know our stand up. Man. We work hard here and we get it in and like I said, we compete at a high level. But we also got coaches that are young and they understand the bodies and you know, getting the guys to the games, and they understand how to take care of us here and they do a great job of doing that. You know, I feel like we're in a good space for that.
Speaker 5: He's extremely polished, You're extremely so you can tell that you go to podiums every day after games and have to talk to everybody. You know what to say and what not to say. No, man, you're professional. Man, I'm gonna say I say, but no, I see you in mine. But I know that I know how the tough hard dude, because you like when you're in it and you're like all right, you go up to the podium. You obviously have somebody to be like okay, like yah, don't talk about this. You don't want to give them anything. I'm sure you guys have like media rules and stuff like that, and it is you are very well spoken from that standpoint for sure.
Speaker 2: How uh ranked thirty top one hundred.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, Minka Fitzpatrick was the only safety ranked ahead of you. How do you feel about where your ranking was in the top one hundred.
Speaker 4: I just got to get out there and work, man. I can't start off this argument. I gotta get out there and work, man. I just got to work a little harder and make more play. Like when you see thirty or you like hell yeah, no, I'm like hell no. Like for me, I'm like, no, I'm better than that. I know it's you know what I mean? I know I should be top ten, So I know I'm better than you.
Speaker 1: Felt a little disrespected for sure, for sure, and that you're not the number one safety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: You are a beast. You are.
Speaker 6: You are a fucking stuff.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 6: What's a relationship like with making.
Speaker 4: We got a great relationship. You know, we always been competing with each other, you know, coming out twenty fifteen, it was in the same high school class, and then in college you know, of course were first round picks, and so we always been competing in our careers. You know, we had a great relationship. We talked at the Pro Bowls and you know, the different stuff.
Speaker 6: But it's a good relationship with the Pro Bowls. Yeah, that plural.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you speaking of Pro bowldude, do you ever feel like do you like the fact that there's not a game anymore?
Speaker 6: Or do you wish it went back to a game?
Speaker 4: No. I kind of liked the format that had last year. It was big five bodies. I feel like it was it was solid. I mean, we had more fun with it. You know. I feel like you've been in the Pro Bowls. I've been with you a couple of one of two times, but I was like, you don't really know what the tempo was. You don't want to kind of hit the guy too hard.
Speaker 6: You know, so your first time you don't really know what to do.
Speaker 4: Kind of you feel what I mean. So it's like it's better that, you know, we could still have fun and then to give the fans what they want to see.
Speaker 2: Too in the game.
Speaker 1: If you had the opportunity to tee off on a punter of the way Sean Taylor did in the Pro Bowl, would.
Speaker 4: You definitely for sure you're lying? For sure?
Speaker 5: I would, I would, I would come on that putter got so mad too?
Speaker 6: Who was that part?
Speaker 4: That was? Bryan still talking about this played twenty years later? You know what I mean? Ten years later?
Speaker 6: So that is just crazy, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: So you want something like that, gotta get.
Speaker 5: What do you think is like the most defining like play of your career so far that people might be talking about ten.
Speaker 4: Years now, probably when I sawed Kessie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what's my head too?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah? So but I got to just make some more players, keep making play, keep getting better.
Speaker 6: Man, it's Kelsey do that. Does he talk a lot of shit?
Speaker 4: No? I don't really talk trash. Well, probably other people really talk trash.
Speaker 2: I'm talking the most trash that you've come across.
Speaker 4: On the most trash. Uh, I don't even I don't really get people that talk trash really like that like to me.
Speaker 2: Like, there's never been anybody like, Man, what is this dude talking.
Speaker 6: Shit?
Speaker 4: You was talking trash and London was the fucking a Nah, I remember, I remember broh Yeah, when we played y'all, he probably was the last person that was talking trash to us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we with the equipment guys earlier and they were bringing that up. How I was talking the whole time?
Speaker 4: Why are you talking so crazy to the whole team? Remember that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I do. They reminded me of because I probably want to remember too much. I do talk a lot of ship or did, and fucking yeah, I like that. Though you don't talk.
Speaker 4: Ship, i'd be talking trash. But you know what I mean that energy that So I'm.
Speaker 5: You feel you kind of view that as a like respect that huh, Like when you talk trash and keep people kind of just walk away.
Speaker 6: Really him, it's got to be a hell of respect. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Respect.
Speaker 2: What kind of badge of honor do you like? More of being known? Uh for locking somebody up or being a heavy hitter.
Speaker 4: I feel like heavy hitter because I'm a big person on style of play, standing the tone, and I feel like you can cover somebody with I don't really set no tone versus if you go hit somebody. Now you got tim O guys ready to go do the same thing. So you know, I say, definitely hit it.
Speaker 5: Do the safety that fucking hits I know, Buddha bakerm Chancellor.
Speaker 6: It was type of dudes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the guys right there.
Speaker 6: Man was Campstone the league when you got in, did.
Speaker 4: You play him? I didn't get to play with Cam. It was one year before I got in.
Speaker 5: Man, when we played them, I remember walking past him being like this was a fucking safety. He was so big, massive, massive, dark visorn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it got him out there. Ed Ree, Bobby Wagner, kJ All Boom.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 6: You just dream about being part of defenses like that, don't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean we were in Nebraska black shirts. This episode is brought to you by game Time, the exclusive ticketing partner of Bartol Sports were created by fans for fans. Game Time is the ticketing app that makes it easier than ever to score last minute deals on tickets to sports concerts and shows, and they guarantee the lowest possible price. Boys, Messi, Messi coming to Nashville. What a whirlwin scored some last minute tickets on the Game Time App. It's possible with the game Time App, the biggest last minute price drops can be found on the seats you thought you could never buy. And by the way, MESSI literally just toys. It's truly like watching a kid that's two grades above everybody else just dummy, like a ten year old that somehow gets to play in the seven and nine league and they're just toying with them. That's what this motherfucker looked like on Saturday. The purchase process takes two taps in ten seconds, and once you buy your tickets to deliver directly to your phone, no printer needed. The app allows you to easily share tickets with friends via tech so you can get into the game seamlessly. Download the Game Time App or go to the website end of your email and redeemed code busting for twenty dollars off your first purchase.
Speaker 2: Terms apply.
Speaker 6: Do you think do you think Florida State could have beat Nebraska?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they fucking couldn't have What years were you at Florida State from fifteen?
Speaker 2: What was your records out there?
Speaker 4: My first season I think we lost was nine to two, and then all right, second season we was I mean my last year was our worst year. I think we lost like four games, four or five games, but you know it's kind of on the decline. Then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel you you were too young to be with Jameis Winston, right, Yeah, one year before were like there had to be war stories the world, good stories those.
Speaker 4: No, man, come on, y'all not doing that. You're trying to trying to do my school like that. Come on, man, that man won't do nothing.
Speaker 6: Like that without asking.
Speaker 5: He borrowed the man, Come on, I don't do He is the most unique personality in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like it's no one like James in the NFL. He got his own personality. He don't care when nobody thinks of them. No, he's gonna be who he is.
Speaker 5: And yeah, hypothetically, if you're getting ready for a game and someone gets in the middle and they do a W with their hand, they start eating.
Speaker 6: Their fingers, are you real that gets you fired the funk up?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, he's one of my guys. Man, whatever he do, like you feel, I'm ready to go through a wall for for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a part too. I think there's an element you feel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're like you're going ahead.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, like, if you know, you know who he is unique in that nature to where it's.
Speaker 4: Like you already know who he is, you know, like me even more.
Speaker 1: It's it's almost like you're gonna laughs to be hell, yeah.
Speaker 4: Let's go like kind of support them.
Speaker 6: Them on to do some more stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Man, I want who was gonna come up with next week? James, get out there, give us man.
Speaker 6: Come on, you gotta tell hype up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jameis doesn't know how funny he is, for sure, he's got to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Those dudes that are just like man, the crab light thing I thought was so funny. I don't really even know what even came with that. Nothing came of that, right, It was just like one of the little stories that you hear. It was like kind of like local news crab legs and that was it.
Speaker 1: I can't remember. What's it gonna take for the Chargers to get over the hump? You guys are I always feels like you guys get.
Speaker 4: Close staying healthy. Man, all our guys been out there when it's time to play. You know, I feel like when you got your main players out there who can make plays, that's what this league about, bro, having your guys out there healthy, and I feel like we just need to do that. Be good.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the locker room's mentality on a gentleman named Emmanuel Acho.
Speaker 4: What's the vibe on them? Yeah? I mean everybody know who he is, with all the with all the Herbert Herbert to be talking ship about o quarterback. Yeah, oh yeah, that smoke with every boy. We don't like that. But you know, we just got to fix the narrative out there. We got we have to get out there and win some games. And you know that a change for sure. Man, Emmanuel Oto.
Speaker 2: Because is talking crazy.
Speaker 5: That's your favorite guy talking about Yeah, that's your favorite guy in media.
Speaker 4: Oh that's the one that was talking about too and better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but y'all give y'all give.
Speaker 2: You definitely can't you definitely came back?
Speaker 4: Come on, I stopped that many Yeah, I start that, don't do that.
Speaker 6: What was the vibe like during that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: That wild Card game last year.
Speaker 4: Man, it was devastating that ship. It didn't feel good. Man. It was definitely like a bad taste in our mouth. And like I say, ninety our team felt that. So we kind of, you know, we get a chance this year to kind of fix that. I feel like it was definitely good motivation going to this year.
Speaker 1: Is that like one of the worst, one of your worst feelings you had in your career?
Speaker 4: Yeah, on any level, rather Pop one and everything, you know, getting five turnovers and not winning in the game, it's like, you know what I mean, it's it's.
Speaker 5: Y'alls just start there like you should have absolutely won that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's just tough. Just you know, you can't predict how the games come. You know, you always try to win, to win the turnover battle and win the little battles that you need to win. But it was just devastating.
Speaker 1: Who's a Who's the quarterback you you most look forward to playing Patrick Mahomes? Of course Mahomes. Yeah, what opportunities for interceptions? Cause I mean, you make a player on him, is it? He?
Speaker 5: He?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? He the guy I like competition, but I like competition. Herbert or Mahomes. Herbert easily easy easily.
Speaker 5: Mahomes is a Hall of Famer right now. I don't think Herberts are stuck. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to throw sh it at him. I'm just trying to yell.
Speaker 4: Herbert or Herbert bro I don't matter who Rivers see, you make it tough. I like Phil was my guy Rivers. I don't know, that's tough. That's a tough different different quarterback.
Speaker 2: Being say, like being a defensive guy. What was it like playing with somebody like Phil?
Speaker 4: Pheel was like everything. He was like the coach, the player, the quarterback. I mean, so he kind of did everything. He made all the line checks, the you know what I mean. So it was kind of like everything with him, and you know, they different players.
Speaker 5: Like I said, did you ever get chewed out by him? Was there ever a time he gave you a dag nabbot or anything like that?
Speaker 4: Now, we used to try to make him get on his nerves, to make him try to, you know, get mad at the defense. So that was our goal, try to get him.
Speaker 6: You wanted to curse.
Speaker 4: I wanted I wanted to see if we can want to hear that, Yeah, but it never happened.
Speaker 6: It never happened. What a guy did.
Speaker 2: He never get after somebody on offense.
Speaker 1: And like you hear stories with like Peyton Manning, like if a tight en or somebody would drop a ball in practice, he'd like get him out. He'd like get him the offense himself coaching, telling the tight end to go back on it back.
Speaker 2: NOA, I give me somebody in here who can catch like that.
Speaker 4: All the time, he had that standing when you came in the huddle, he came on the field, he was gonna line up right. If you wasn't lined up right, he was gonna say something. And it's just as that mutual understanding that hey, when I'm not here in the hud, I need to know what I'm doing. You know, ready you are running back? That got protection or whatever it is. He wanted to know. You need to know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: It's got to be so sick to play for a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Then, like how long did he How long did he play Rivers?
Speaker 5: Seventeen years with that wanky ass, fucking side arm throw, checking stuff at the line, checking in everything. Yes, in the playoffs. Yeah, look nine kids like he was working on and off the field.
Speaker 2: I thought he had double digit O.
Speaker 6: He just went to ten and he just went to ten.
Speaker 5: But when he was playing, come on from get to ten until he had to be here to retire, and he was like, no, I have more time for the.
Speaker 2: One in the game.
Speaker 6: Here one graduating college and about come.
Speaker 4: Up the room.
Speaker 6: My god, congrats you have a kid right few years old. Just so, I heard that baby is stacked.
Speaker 4: He looking like a defensive end right now, like he's gonna be on the d N. But he is definitely getting big for sure.
Speaker 6: I heard somebody might be a big baby too. With the nickname?
Speaker 2: Was it poo bear?
Speaker 5: Bet?
Speaker 4: I got to start telling the world. I'm just telling you, I'll be telling the world and about all these people.
Speaker 6: Would you get that cute ast nick name poo Beert?
Speaker 4: May you get that cute nick name? Dude? My mom used to call me that growing up, little fat kid. Yeah, I kind of tuvvy the cheeks and stuff. You get bullied, No, I ain't get bullied. You were having that huh, poo bear man?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, when did.
Speaker 6: You go from poop beer to safety?
Speaker 4: I ain't started playing safety till I got to the ninth grade because you know, that was the only position open on varsity. I played offense my whole life. Yeah, running back, no, running back. I was all right, I was all right. I was decent. But you know, I play offense my whole life, and that was the only position. I didn't want to play JV because I don't want to play on Thursday nights. Now I need to be out there Friday night. You know, nat as a freshman, you need to be out there. You know that's different, man, I mean yeah, so I was like, I play, know what I mean? I played, so I started learning and I just went from there.
Speaker 5: Man, what kind of hypothetical could we give him? He feels like, I feel like I would you rather too in the back if we could think of a couple, would you rather be nice?
Speaker 4: I need?
Speaker 5: Man, I do running back though, because you think he's still to that rock, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I definitely I need to get a pick to show the world, like you went up with the ball in my hands, what I can do. See they ain't seeing that side of me. They think I'm just you know, I hit her. You feel what I'm saying. I just I need to rock in my hands, you know, so I can show them how mean.
Speaker 1: You have last year three because you had you. I mean, your statue was filled up pretty well last year. You were in the defensive Player of the Year running at one moment.
Speaker 4: Right early, but not not really like that. I gotta get my stacks up, man.
Speaker 1: I'm telling y'all, I could have swore he was in a conversation at some point.
Speaker 4: Man, I gotta get some more sacks, more more picks. That's on me. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Who's the best player on the team right now? Justin who was the second best player in the him?
Speaker 4: James?
Speaker 5: Who's the third best player on the team?
Speaker 4: Ship? That's tough.
Speaker 6: You got some studs now, like y'all got a roster.
Speaker 4: Keith is tough your eleven year little Joey, Yeah, I mean everybody tough. I don't know that's tough.
Speaker 7: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But you got you one on defense.
Speaker 4: Over however you want to say, he's trying to make that. Try to say, I like you over.
Speaker 2: Who's the hardest hitter you've ever played with?
Speaker 4: Hardest hitter as a player, Yeah, probably Denzel Paraman. He used to hit hard, bro, He used to hit people hard.
Speaker 1: I was gonna see if that's who he's gonna say, because he is like a fucking missile. Yeah saying, dude, he walks and runs like a penguin's got his feet out.
Speaker 4: But he bro here.
Speaker 1: I'm not joking, like walk around just and I'm telling you, like just a white beater just your yes like he bo, Yeah, got sweats on, white beater slides.
Speaker 6: You walking a penguin?
Speaker 2: Yeah you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah you got to my dog dog knock your dick in the dirt, bro ship.
Speaker 4: Boy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Man, who were when you were coming out of high school?
Speaker 4: Who are your top five top five safeties?
Speaker 6: No, top five schools, top five?
Speaker 4: Oh, Florida state, Florida State.
Speaker 2: No coming.
Speaker 6: Who is the top five offers?
Speaker 4: Oh? My top five offers. So see, I committed like ninth grade, so a lot of teams don't really offer.
Speaker 2: Me back out in ninth grade.
Speaker 6: So you started playing safety in ninth grade?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I committed like going into my ninth grade years.
Speaker 5: Fucking nuts, Like, how did you pull that offer that that quick?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 2: At a camp? Somebody offered me.
Speaker 4: To a junior day And I'm like a freshman, I'm like, why they invite me to like a junior day type? You know, when juniors and seniors.
Speaker 2: Go, yeah your freshman year, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is going on. No, this was yeah, this was February of my freshman year. Yeah, so after the season. Yeah, no ship was it before? Because that that is are You're right? Like the junior days are like in February. I can't remember brothers before. It's been so long ago, but I can't remember. But yeah, they invited me to a junior day, but I didn't even know what it was inviting me. So I go to ted Ass and my dad takes me up there. Then he offered he offers me coach Fisher and they said, I see you in four years. No ship kind yeah that kind of went. I had Alabama, Ohio State.
Speaker 1: I had Florida by making a good pushter at the end of your senior year, that were you kind of.
Speaker 4: I was already tattooed with Florida State ninth for real, eighteenth grade.
Speaker 6: It was alay o bro tattoos in ninth grade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bro man, I had a thing at kid.
Speaker 5: With tattoos in high school and like, oh fuck dude, Oh no.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hold basketball. We had a thing. So I used to play basketball and our whole starting five we had to have like tattoos or you couldn't be out there on the court with us. Yeah, I whole starting five we was was tatted up. So that's how it kind of started for me.
Speaker 6: When did you have a full sleeve?
Speaker 4: M I didn't see. I ain't going to the sleeve till like junior scene year. Kind of like when I was on my way out.
Speaker 6: Of high school. Yea, brother, you gotta understand.
Speaker 5: You had to be thinking to yourself at one point in high school football, you're you're looking on the field and you don't see any other guys are tattoos.
Speaker 6: I think you're an outlier.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of people with tattoos more than you think. It's Florida is different. It's a different world, different man, them boys, it's Florida Day.
Speaker 6: About hockey Florida.
Speaker 4: I know about the monk down at them boys. I know about the like I went three hours away.
Speaker 5: From I went to Michigan and Hockey Florida, and you know, Jenner Robinson is right field beach. They would fucking talk. I wouln't understand the word they're saying.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 6: It was the most nuts ship. Like you know, they would enunciate.
Speaker 5: They wouldn't. Fucking it was the most wild thing. I'm like, you gotta, I need a translator.
Speaker 6: There's no funck.
Speaker 2: It was wild titles, all these uses talking.
Speaker 6: Dude, But did I would get with them? Maybe laughing.
Speaker 5: I'm like, man, I wish I could laugh with them, but I just can't understand what they're saying.
Speaker 6: Hooky dudes are different.
Speaker 4: Now, them boys speaking whole another lingo down there. Yeah.
Speaker 6: See cheasing rabbits as their conditioning tests.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a real thing.
Speaker 2: It really would.
Speaker 6: There be like an acre fence and they're like rabbits and catch a rabbit, You're done.
Speaker 4: They do that.
Speaker 2: That's fucking legendary.
Speaker 4: That in Florida.
Speaker 6: Some Yeah, that's some weird what's a Florida thing?
Speaker 4: It Florida. They do that in Miami too, like Miami Central, Florida, Jacksonville, they do that everywhere in Florida.
Speaker 6: So Florida. Do you think football's best football in Florida?
Speaker 4: Of course? Come on in Texas. Yeah, in Pennsylvania, man, any state, any country, any Florida, Florida. You want to a skilled person go to Florida.
Speaker 6: Really, well, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't disagree with that nuts lineman and so what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's linemen up north over Georgia.
Speaker 4: Now Georgia got the line. And see Georgia they got like Texas they got a good linemen. Alabama they got good line. You want to go to a skilled player, go to Florida, Louisiana.
Speaker 2: I'm calling here, bro.
Speaker 6: Who's the best player to come out of Louisiana in your opinion?
Speaker 4: The best player?
Speaker 5: They have some studs now come out of Louisiana, the state of Louisiana, the state?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, what about what you want?
Speaker 4: I can give you the best deons corner okay, safety?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Who the best? Say? I don't like saying myself.
Speaker 6: Man, you just have a couple of times Herbert and then he said you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that was being honest. But I say me right now, I don't know. I gotta think of song.
Speaker 2: What about running back?
Speaker 4: Oh, we got a lot of running backs. Derek Harry, probably Derek Harry.
Speaker 6: What about you ever play him? You playing Julie?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, we ain't play Julie. That boy was going crazy out of that.
Speaker 1: What about a receiver? Who the best receive we got coming out that came out of Florida.
Speaker 4: I don't know, probably in the leader, not probably like Kelvin. Really want of them boys. Good.
Speaker 6: Calvin really is gonna be a menace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, freak Calvin Ridley's back.
Speaker 6: You see what he said.
Speaker 5: No, he said, I'm gonna make up every single dollar I lost out him last year, like a true gambler.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's put in the house on myself, on myself. Well, beast man. He's a beast, really a beast. He played for the Jags, though, but a beast. You want to see him again. You want to see the Jags again.
Speaker 4: I want to see anybody we played Right now, I understand. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 5: Who's who's your biggest threat besides the Chiefs who I like to play? No like threats to the Los Angeles Chargers. Besides the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: I feel like them. They won a Super Bowl. They don't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but there's gotta be there's thirty other teams.
Speaker 4: I mean, probably the Broncos or the raided. They in our division. We gotta win those games. But the other threats, I feel like you're gonna beat him. Some teams may uther beat them, or we got to see him what we see him. You know what I mean, ain't really threats.
Speaker 5: Did you see all the stuff that John Payton was saying about Russell Wilson and the coaching staff from last year at the Broncos.
Speaker 6: No, he said, he basically just fucking crushed him. I won't to ask you the question.
Speaker 5: He was like, they fucking sucked, the coaching sucked, all of it sucked.
Speaker 4: Oh man, you know I'll get into none of that. Man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get it. If you know about.
Speaker 4: He can't be talking about definite about one of my guys.
Speaker 2: Stuff is so big there's no way it doesn't make it in the locker room.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what I mean, Like, how do you hate on Herbert?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: I don't know he found a way. I have no fucking clue. We interrupt this episode to bring you Georgia Boot. Georgia boots are designed for the longest shift and the toughest jobs. The core of Georgia's messaging relies on delivering boots that are as comfortable as they are tough, boots that you can wear from work to the bar, to home, or wherever you want. It's blue collar comfort right out of the box. Whether you're working on the frontline, fixing that shelf in your closet, grilling out in your backyard, playing on the beach. These Georgia's are the best boot for the job. Georgia boots are designed for rugged, demanding work environments and are built to last, making them the most ideal boot for workers.
Speaker 2: In various industries.
Speaker 1: Georgia boots are designed with comfort and mind, featuring cushioned insules and supportive technology for all day comfort. Use our code busts that's b U S S I N for twenty percent off at georgiaboots dot com. Do not sacrifice. Do not sacrifice comfort for the work of your job. Get in the right boot that is ideal for your job, and that is Georgia Boot.
Speaker 6: Back to the episode, do we have a hypothetical?
Speaker 8: Would you rather have skin that changes color based on your emotions or tattoos appear all over your body depicting what you did yesterday?
Speaker 4: My skin change color, boy, I'd be living you feeling, I'll be living. I'd be living, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Change colors? Oh Derwin torny again?
Speaker 7: What color would you be on a Friday night?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: I'm bright on my side I'm gonna be bright yello about that. Man, that's funny.
Speaker 5: What was the hypothetical that we were split on earlier? It was a big one.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah.
Speaker 8: Would you rather have all of your phone messages leaked and pictures leaked?
Speaker 7: Or get rid of your phone forever?
Speaker 4: Linked?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I need my phone, you have everything link.
Speaker 2: You would leak all the history of every text you've ever seen?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, first I had to switch.
Speaker 4: Up right now today? Yeah yeah, but no, not no, you have no longer have a phone ever again. I'm on a computer, matter exactly, going back out?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, well we're as love. How we just pivot to something else?
Speaker 6: That was the worst show.
Speaker 2: We are the worst show.
Speaker 4: You switched it like that?
Speaker 6: What do you think about this year coming up?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I was going to go back to ball.
Speaker 1: Like for your game and your development, where do you feel like you've grown the most?
Speaker 2: Like since being in the league.
Speaker 4: I feel like just being a leader and understand in the room and understanding the guys like around me. I feel like just me being able to lead more and me being able to understand people more allowed me to play more calmer and like use less athleticism if that makes sense. Yeah, I'll kind of already be there, you know, with my mind, and it's kind of easier.
Speaker 1: For me those like relationships and confidence like being a leader and everything else. How do you when do you feel like that made a jump? Like were you somebody who was more soft spoken.
Speaker 2: In the beginning? Nah, I know you feel more comfortable or now.
Speaker 4: I was always a leader, but I never wanted to be the guy to come in and step in. Nobody told you know, as a coming as a rookie, you kind of respect the room. You kind of you know, see who on the team, see who the leaders is. But now it's like, I mean you're six now, bro, so it's like I kind of understand my role. I understand you know, what they paying me to do, so I understand who my positions. Yeah, and it makes more sense to me. I'm more comfortable because you know, having that time away, those two years, I got to grow, you know, I got to be able to be in the building and see stuff and learn. So it was.
Speaker 6: Cool when you first came in the league.
Speaker 5: Besides Philip Rivers, like who were the staple leadership like group of this of this team.
Speaker 4: Uh, it was a guy by the name of Brandon me Ban. He was a big leader. Melvin Ingram, he was the.
Speaker 5: Leader on the mail was a leader when he would do that stand up rover.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you guys have like three down linemen. He would just picking jews where he went.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. And I probably say who else was the leader that Keenan was. Keenan was a leader to on the team of course, and Casey Hayward, those guys.
Speaker 5: I bring that up because, uh, the last time I saw you, the first time I met you was with the Pouncy Brothers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in Florida. Yeah, and I don't know, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Good night? Yeah, what's that a good night?
Speaker 6: Yeah, solid night?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was my guys. That was like my big brothers are different. Yeah, that was like my big brother right, Huh. The Florida guys to come on the Polk County, same hometown, like you know what I mean, that's Polk County man, Come on.
Speaker 6: But what was it?
Speaker 4: What was like?
Speaker 6: What was it like playing with the Pouncy Brothers.
Speaker 4: Man, It was amazing. It was funny, Like it's crazy. I used to chill with him like every day, you know, we used to just chill hang out. You know, he'll give me just a lot of game, just being into him being in the league, him seeing a lot of stuff, you know, and telling me, hey, don't do this, don't do this. And so it was like that big brother for me that I never had, you know, someone I can relate to that's from my hometown. That then kind of you know, went to college something I get to see, like from first hand, and you know, being on the charges, so you know, I learned a lot from him. For real.
Speaker 2: How long are you going to play?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to play out you got to if you got to decide how long you played? How long would you want to play?
Speaker 4: I can't. I can't do it no more. I'm trying to play. I missed the Wheels fall off, I missed out on two seasons, so I'm fresh. I feel good, So I'm ready. Man.
Speaker 1: I was hoping you said number so I could come up with the hypothetical would you.
Speaker 2: Play if you knew you were going to be?
Speaker 1: Like would you be a guy who as the older you get and you become a backup?
Speaker 2: Would you do like a backup role? You know what I'm saying, though, like say you get.
Speaker 5: Old, Hey, we want you to mentor these guys. Yeah, we're gonna Hey, we're gonna draft a guy. He's gonna play in front of you. You never know what the future. Yeah, I feel great. Do you never know?
Speaker 4: You know? But I feel like my talent God got me be good.
Speaker 5: I mean, but God's got everybody to a certain extent. And then by the time Tom Brady brother like besides him, everybody gets got maybe Aaron Rodgers too.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of a I'm trying to think of like a fun hypothetical base off of him.
Speaker 2: How long he wants to Plady, how long he.
Speaker 1: Wants to play, you get a super Bowl, You're done after year seven? Seven years from say you you either play twelve years in the league, no super Bowls, or make the rest Pro Bowls. I was gonna say, twelve years in the league, no super Bowls, or you play seven years and get a super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Shit, that's a nice one. That's a nice one. Would you say seven years? What was that again?
Speaker 2: Seven years in the league? You get it over? So either yeah, you can.
Speaker 1: Get a super Bowl this year, next year, or you play twelve years and you'll never get a super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I gotta get that Bowl. I gotta get a Bowl, but I want to play twelve. Oh no, that's it tough, bro. Oh, it's tough. I can't answer. I can't pay, bro, I can't. I don't know. That's tough, BRO, I could pass that.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 6: Seven years and a super Bowl?
Speaker 4: I want to play, though, Bro, I.
Speaker 6: Want to I want to play tho. Why do you play the game for love win?
Speaker 4: It's like me saying, Okay, if I told you to win a super Bowl, you play two years, and you we win a super Bowl in one year, versus you playing eight years of never winning. Which one you're gonna pick two years and quit?
Speaker 2: I'll probably do eight years exactly.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. No super Bowl.
Speaker 1: But you get seven years and you get a super Bowl. You got a contract, so you could almost be like, all right, so look, you made money. You do two years, You're not going to ever see like a second contract. I would be like, okay, you want to play eight because that selfish need for the Yeah, once you're established financially, it's almost like, oh, it's all about the you know, maybe you could just super Bowl.
Speaker 2: You've done that.
Speaker 5: Funny and so now that happing seven is one of those things where it's like you could.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, but if it's not ten, ten's not twelve, twelve is not seven? I mean seven?
Speaker 2: Right, we're doing it.
Speaker 6: We're doing a fucking math out here. Yeah, look at all of us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you I want to play because especially I missed two seasons. I want to play.
Speaker 6: You did twelve.
Speaker 4: I'm doing I need to do it. I got to be out of there.
Speaker 5: Well, let's let's juice this up a little bit. We'll do eight years in a super Bowl or you got worth thirteen or thirteen years?
Speaker 4: You got eight? Eight Supero you got you went out of eight?
Speaker 2: You got me?
Speaker 6: Oh that's that's good.
Speaker 4: Now, I was just saying super Bowl with eight you got me.
Speaker 6: You didn't take that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I take that one over thirteen.
Speaker 6: Oh Bowl, that's seven doesn't sound as good as eight?
Speaker 4: Yeah, eight sound better than at.
Speaker 5: Eight nine and nothing sounds better than ten. Fuck that is what you need? The elusive year ten?
Speaker 4: Yeah definitely, what about what about?
Speaker 6: Uh? Seven years?
Speaker 5: Super Bowl will go back to that, but you get fifteen years, but you never ever winning season again.
Speaker 4: But I gotta But you know how to sit as you don't win, but it's worse, the worst to be in the NFL. It's not fun if you ain't winning. It's literally the worst.
Speaker 7: Are you close with Edrin James at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, Yeah, that's my cousin.
Speaker 2: Yeah James, Yeah, go ahead, JP, What do you got?
Speaker 8: I was gonna ask if helped you out as you were like coming up into the league.
Speaker 4: So like like he was always like, you know, my dad, because he's my dad's second cousin and my third cousin. So it's kind of like, you know, we had like an outside relationship. And as I got older in college and stuff, you know, he started I got this number and stuff, and you know we started to connecting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty fucking sick. Edward James is your cousin.
Speaker 5: I was about to say, uncle, Yeah, who is your biggest mentor in the league?
Speaker 4: My biggest mentor, I say, probably like my parents. And then I had like a lot of great coaches along the way that kind of I can't just give all the credit to one coach because from my Pop Warners coach to to my high school coach, I kind of had some good coaches that can help you know, that give you that push, do you know, to keep going? So I can't just give all the credit of one person.
Speaker 1: Is there somebody that does stand out when you look back on your like journey, career, all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, oh man, this this whether it's coach, parent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my mom, dad, for sure, because I feel like without them, I wouldn't be in a position I am, and especially my mom making the sacrifices saying for my dad. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I feel like this has been a fucking We've hit the dude. Is there anything we're missing because I feel like we got we you know, his guards down. We're having a little bit of fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who's your favorite staff member of the charge?
Speaker 4: Bull and Megan?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Megan was speaking your more flowers.
Speaker 2: Why Meghan?
Speaker 4: You know, we came in the same time. It's been fun and anything I needed, she've been there, so you know we locked in.
Speaker 2: Well. Brother, We appreciate you coming on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you have a healthy year. I hope you guys do well. Not as well as the Raiders, but I hope you do well.
Speaker 4: Brother. Come on come on now, hold up baby. Thank you to you. M