Speaker 1: The volume. Let's talk about something really really important. If you're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan's America's largest injury law firm, and they're there for you. Over one hundred offices nationwide. Think about that, more than a thousand lawyers with over twenty billion. That's a b twenty billion dollars recovered for over five hundred thousand clients. Things happen in life unexpectedly. Submitting an injury claim with Morgan and Morgan is really really easy. Like winning in the NFL is hard, we know that quarterbacking in the NFL is hard. Submitting a claim is easy. You're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. For more information, go to for Thepeople dot com, slash Colin or dial pound law from your cell phone. Pretty easy. That's for the people dot com slash Colin or pound law pound five to nine from your cell Morgan and Morgan has a proven track record of fighting for you to get a full and fair compensation if there's an unexpected accident in your life. This is a paid advertisement, all right, instant reaction. Plus, I'm gonna have Matt Moseley in fifteen minutes on the Cowboys mess. He's and Edwarder have been doing the Doomsday podcast forever. So third week in a row, Aaron Rodgers had the ball late with a chance to win Denver, Minnesota, and now Buffalo and could not get it done. You know, I've said this four years. The strangest stat about Aaron Rodgers is how few come from behind wins he has considering how many big close games he's been in. The Jets lead the NFL and penalty yards are second in total penalties twenty two total penalties between the two teams. That I did not love the officiating. I thought there were two calls that reready bothered me. The one when Aaron Rodgers tucked it got hit fumble would have been huge for Buffalo. They called it an incomplete pass. Didn't like that call at all. Also, a Jets pass interference wiped out with an unnecessary roughness against Buffalo. Did not like that call at all. I don't complain about officiating, all right, I don't. That's what you do your fans, I get it. I don't. But I thought I didn't like either of those calls. And again this game came down, so I had predicted before the year, Buffalo will win this division for what the fifth straight year, mostly because of Josh Allen, and then the Jets New eng little stink. They'll be fourth, and the Jets Miami will go down to the end of the season battling for the playoffs the final weekend, And I said, I don't know if I had either one of them in the playoffs. I don't think I had the Jets in the playoffs, and I may have had Miami, but I think they'll go down to the final week and I think if Tua comes back here and plays the rest of the season, Miami will heat up. So the Jets are now two and four, Bills are four and two, So it's working out. The Jets are fine, though, don't overreact. They've got Justin Fields coming up. They've got Drake May around the corner. They got Anthony Richardson coming up. They've got a stretch of really weak quarterbacks, and Aaron's planned pretty well. As the Bills won tonight twenty three twenty, there were opportunities for both teams, But when you get into these games like tonight, these big division games, it doesn't matter if it's Cincinnati playing Baltimore. Lamar Jackson was the difference. You know, when you watch these big divisional games, it's the quarterback making a play. And two plays at the end of this game by the Bills, and they made the two big plays in the game, actually three. The Rap the safety for the Bills. Rap who went to the University of Washington, good player, bounced around, had some injuries in his career, physical physical safety, broke up what appeared to be a potential catch by the Jets. Huge, huge play by Rap. Then Taran Johnson with one of the best interceptions I've ever seen. It felt like Ed Reid. I hope everybody understands how great of a play that was by tarn Johnson of Buffalo. He literally had to do a U turn turn around. Mike Williams slipped on one of his only targets tonight and Johnson held onto the ball. That is an all time play. That's ed REI That is incredible. So those two plays by the defense. Then Josh Allen running for the first down, and again it's very Lamar Jackson, It's very Mahomes. It's just an ad libbed play where a supreme athlete outruns somebody else to the sticks, and that's the ballgame. There's not a lot of blame to go around. I mean, obviously the Jets got rid of Matt Hackett and the offense looked better. That's what Robert Sala wanted to do and got fired. Robert Sala, the best coach on the staff, got fired. He's a defensive guy, and I don't think the Jets defensive play was as good tonight. It wasn't as tight. So if Sala would have remained the coach and been allowed to demote Matt Hackett, that could have been the ballgame. I think Sala is the best coach on the staff. But you know, Bill Belichi took a shot at Woody Johnson, and Belichick's had a much greater career than Woody Johnson, certainly in football. And he was talking to Eli and Peyton Manning on the Manning Cast and he said, you know, ready fire aim, which is kind of an old line used around the NFL for disorganized and impulsive owners, and that's really what the Jets are. Robert solid to me, he should not have been fired. It makes everybody feel good when you fire the coach. He's the best coach on that staff. The defense was not as tight tonight unless I got reams and notes here, you know, I mean, it's twenty three to twenty. Let's be honest, let's be fair here. The hail mary. You get about one of those every four years as a quarterback. That hail mary makes it twenty seventeen at half, or it's twenty ten Bills at half. So that's a bit of a break. I felt like the Bills earned the win more than the Jets earned keeping it close. It's a hail mary. It's called that for Also, you know the fumble that wasn't a fumble on the Aaron Rodgers passing tucking it back. Didn't love that. It's not like there weren't any calls that didn't go, you know, against the Jets tonight. But I you know, Josh Allen, you know, in the second quarter of that scrambling play to Matt Hollins, I mean, that was just an incredible touchdown pass to him to put the Bills up thirteen to ten. But the scramble play and thrown at Davis earlier, it's just so unique. Josh is such a unique all time talent. Also, you know, the Jets missed two field goals tonight. So this thing's just, you know, I feel really feel like watching Aaron Rodgers struggle in late game situations. The owner being impulsive, the field goal kicker missing two kicks tonight, and Aaron the last couple of weeks, he's gotten the crap hit out of him. He's taken shots. This feels like Aaron Rodgers last season. I just don't know, it's a circus. He's going to get blamed for this. We have to be honest. You can blame whoever you want. It's now Aaron's team and Denver, Minnesota and the Bills. Tonight, he was the second best quarterback on the field in long stretches against the Vikings in the first half, certainly, and he was the second best quarterback on the field tonight. And I do think Aaron is playing for his age at a really pretty high level. But he's taken hits. They've already had to demote his offensive coordinator, they fired his coach. You're looking around and you remember Aaron was in Green Bay. Well, they just don't do any of that stuff. They don't do any of that stuff. So he goes from a really shrewd patient winning culture in Green Bay. I mean, now he's been injured, they fired his coach, they demote his buddy. He's getting rocked. I just don't see him coming back. I don't. It just everything you just it's the drip drip, drip effect. It just wears on Aaron, who's not terribly patient anyway. Who and by the way, I don't think any of us are. I think as I've gotten older, I'm less patient than I was years ago. You get to a certain standard, you want things done a certain way. I'm probably much less patient than I was in my twenties or thirties. So you know, Aaron's eye rolls. I mean he was frustrated on that bench. You got to kick or missing two kicks in the biggest game for the Jets, who are now two and four. I think they'll be fine. I think they're going to finish. I said, I thought they'd be like a nine and eight, ten and seventeam that's about where they're going to finish. And Buffalo's going to end up with probably eleven to twelve wins. And not only did the hail Mary make this game closer than it would have been, but the Jets wins this year are against Will Levice and the Titans and Jacoby Brussett and the Patriots, and teams that start two and four have only an eleven percent chance to make the playoffs. So the Hail Mary. You know you trail twenty to ten at half. May it may never sinch up it. Buffalo's the better team, Buffalo's got the better quarterback. Buffalo made the three big plays at the end of the game. Buffalo keeps winning this division. If you start four and two, that's the Bills. You make the playoffs sixty four percent of the time, and they will. You know, they didn't have their best running back tonight, James Cook, so and to go on the road, have a couple of calls go against him, and just make the three biggest plays of the game. Buffalo made all of them. Rap Teyran Johnson, Josh Allen boom boom boom, three biggest plays of the game in order late and that's why the Bills are gonna win the division again. Hell of a football game for Monday night, I mean, the officiating drove me nuts. That was a We've been very lucky this year. We've had you know, Atlanta a couple of weeks ago overtime win. We've had really really good standalone games, really good standalone games. And I will say this about the officiating. I think about this sometimes in standalone games sometimes I feel like the officials are trying to make a point. They know everybody's watching and so on. That roughing, unnecessary roughness against Buffalo that wiped out the pass interfiners on the Jets. Would that be called in the one o'clock window? Maybe, maybe not, But I felt like it was one of those things the league's watching. We're not going to tolerate the extra sauce. We're just not going to tolerate it. I feel like sometimes in standalone games, I feel like the NFL does that in the preseason, like they were over they will overcall a new rule just to make it very clear to the players we're not going to allow this or tolerate this. I felt like tonight a couple of times they were trying to make a point the Buffalo Bills. So right now in the AFC Josh Allen leads his division, Lamar Jackson leads his division. Lamar would be my MVP. CJ. Stroud leads his division, Mahomes leads his easy to Predict four for four. I'm sure you probably did the same thing. Best Quarterbacks Leader Division. I think the NFC isn't quite as good at the top, and so it'll work itself out. San Francisco now I think feels like it's kind of separating from the rest of the NFC West. The rams off of buy are getting a little healthier, but it may be maybe a little late. I mean, they'd have to go on a five or six game winning streak to get back at the top of that division. So coming off next Matt Moseley been covering the Cowboys forever on the circus, and I mean circus that is Dallas. The roller coaster of an NFL season is moving right along and promises to be a month full of tricks, treats, and of course, touchdowns and DraftKings. Sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NFL is the number one place to always bet touchdowns, running it in from the one or an eighty yard bomb. We don't care how they score them. We want to bet them. DraftKings hurt us and is delivering. If you're ready to place your first bet, make it simple. Bet on a player scoring a touchdown. Go to DraftKings dot com and DraftKings Sportsbooks app make your pick. Here's a reason for new customers to do a touchdown dance of their own. Bet five That's it. Bet five bucks, get two hundred instantly in bonus bets. Draftking the number one place to bet touchdowns. Download their app takes ninety seconds. The code is colin co l I n use the code colin bet five bucks get two hundred bonus bets instantly only on DraftKings. The crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight open WY or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction VOYD and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG, dot co, slash ft ball.
Speaker 1: All right, our buddy Matt Mosley is stopping by the Doomsday podcast All Cowboys with Ed Werder. He's been doing this forever. Also was an ESPN radio show.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: From the outside, I man, I look at this and I think Packers blew them out at home. Last year, Saints blew them out. Ravens really did blow them out, although they caught up in the second half a little A Lions blew them out. Games weren't super competitive. I mean, you know I've said this before the season is they have one great weapon in a league. Now that's weapon filled. Dak's contract limits a lot of depth. Mike is very good player, doesn't feel as good he's been out as a Miles Garrett or a TJ. Watt. He's just a very good player, but he's not a game decider. This roster just doesn't feel like it's a top ten roster. Is am I out of bound saying that?
Speaker 3: No, I don't see how you could watch what's happened Colin and those three and now if you count the Green Bay four straight home losses. The identity for this team was they were a really good regular season team, and they were a great home team and so far now they've completely lost that and you know the fact that they don't have any depth that could have been addressed even before they committed the enormous money to CD and debt that was not addressed at all. And in fact, if you look at who they're playing on the defensive line right now, none of those players were even in uniform. I'm talking about the other day, Sunday, August fourteenth. Those are all players they've just had to bring in, so they're really only hope. I mean, I do think Micah potentially is you know, maybe the best defensive player in the NFL. I may have him a little higher than you do. The problem is, you know, and you've seen this happen with other teams, Like they were so ready to part ways with dan Quinn because you know, they had that horrible thing happened against Green Bay, But like all these takeaways and all these huges, you know, game changing plays that you're looking for, that happened for a few years under dan Quinn. So I mean, I think the thing that Jerry's having to deal with right now is and I've seen him like this before. Man, he's he's he's looking at what like even the commanders, even in a losing effort, to have Jaden Daniels and then have Dan Quinn, who was on his staff for several years, and to actually have positive momentum. And he's looking at what the lions coming in here and literally just clowning on him, and he's just in jealous mode. He's in the mode of how did this happen? How do we how do we have this much of a deficit? And so, I mean he yesterday, he was lost, like he generally can put on the happy face. It was his eighty second birthday yesterday, and they get crushed forty seven to nine, And that's as down as I've seen him in a while. Like he didn't he didn't have any answers, and much like they did a few years ago when they went and traded for Marik Cooper. I don't think helps on the way. I don't feel like there's anything truly they can do and turn this thing around. But that that's pretty it's pretty unbelievable that they're getting crushed like they are at home.
Speaker 1: How much power does Stephen Jones have? Does he listen to him? Does just Jerry ever acquiesce? We know Jerry and his vanity. It's you know, it's kind of laughed at around the league where he holds these press conferences. Does he ever just take a back seat to Stephen Jones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Steven does have a big say, and but if Steven, for instance, had have wanted to be more active this off season, the Cowboys could have been more active. So I would say this offseason he kind of sided with Jerry. The problem is, of course Jerry had a pr nightmare on his hands because Jerry, unbeknownst to Stephen, started talking about, Hey, we're all in, We're going to be all in, and then he didn't follow that up by bringing in anybody. So I do think Stephen has a lot to say, But right now they're just reeling and I doesn't seem like helps on the way. They'll get some they'll get some corners back. We'll get a couple of corners back. They'll get Micah back soon, and maybe they'll be do something else. But I think this the Zimmer thing, who I've known forever and I got a great relationship with, but it's not working. And it's just unreal that you could be at home and have what I mean, I covered Dan Campbell and knew him well, and he's an aggie. And I think that's another thing that kills Jerry, is like these people that he falls in love with and he knows, like Sean Payton, who Sean Payton left here and then went on to be with the Saints, Dan Campbell was here. It kills him when he has people that are in his orbit and that he considers friends and then they go and have success elsewhere. And right now, like that's what that's the look he had, and he actually said it yesterday. He's like, they have what we want and what he really means and he can't say is they have the coach I want. And he's just really bad. He doesn't know how to hold. Like Dan Campbell was available all those years. Guess who he was on with. He was with Sean Payton. He Jerry had people telling him from the Saints, that's the guy you should hire him. And Jerry knows this guy, and Jerry didn't act on it. And so right now you're seeing this thing kind of fall apart. And unlike some places where you can throw truly blow something up, this team's not going to lose enough games to do anything drastic or to have a huge impact in the in the in the draft. And so you have two players who are going to be here for what four or five years at enormous cost, and then you've got to try to sprinkle players around them. And right now people get mad that I point this out. You've got a quarterback who's not lifting anybody up.
Speaker 1: No, that's not who he is. He he you know, Bucky brookshust To always say this, there's tractors and trailers, and tractors pull. That's mahomes and trailers get pulled. And Dak is good when he has protection in a run game. I mean, I thought it was laughable going into the season. I said, they're not a playoff team. You give Dak no run game. I mean even CJ. Stroud, who's a really good, really good quarterback, or Justin Herbert, who are considered higher end quarterbacks and throwers of the football than Dak, they have struggled without a good run game.
Speaker 3: I mean c J.
Speaker 1: Stroud gets Joe Mixon back, Oh, the Texans look great. Dak with the worst running back room in the league is a c quarterback. That's what he is.
Speaker 3: That's what it looks like. And he has his moments. But you know, you talked about it, the Derrick Henry thing. He was out there. He made it known the Cowboys would be a team he would love to be around, you love to be with, and he lives there. This is not the old quarter the running back where you have to pay a tome. I mean like literally two years, sixteen million, and Jerry, you know, when I quizzed him about that after that Ravens game, was just like, no, we can't afford him, we can't do that. I mean, I think when you're watching how he's playing, you could say they really couldn't afford not to have it, Like that's exactly to your point, like if Dak could lean on somebody like that. But Jerry is so stuck. And usually it's like back in the Jimmy days or even the very aftermath of Jimmy. And of course Campo is the one back in the day who brought in Zimmer, and Zimmer became a big part of the Cowboys family. But in times of stress, Jerry goes for these people he knows and has history with, and he even does it with players. It's one thing to do with coaches, but he did it with Zeke, and literally he just has a guy who really doesn't have much tread on his tires, who's kind of a leader, but doesn't have anything left to do. So it's a it's a it's a very frustrating. It's a rough place to be right now.
Speaker 1: Who would you know, Mike Rabel's out there living in Park City, Utah, quick flight to Dallas. I don't know if he'd want that circus. I've said this before. Philadelphia with a loaded roster could have will have an opening at head coach. I think that goes without question. You start looking around the league and there are some teams here. New Orleans will need it. Derek Carr, I think that's a wash, although I do think their ownership and their front office Mickey Loomis is really really strong, stronger than Dallas. Trevor Lawrence Jacksonville, I mean, he's obviously regressed under Doug Peterson. There's some really interesting quarterbacks. Jalen Hurts A Trevor Lawrence could need a coach. Joe Burrow. If Cincinnati goes into seven game losing streak, Joe Burrow could need a coach. My take is Dallas has become a bit of a circus. It's why the Lakers. Lakers in Dallas have too many Joneses and too many buses in the building. Not enough outside influence, very insular, big brands. But the brands bigger than the team and better run than the team. I mean, I don't think Dallas is a great job. I don't think it's a good roster. I think Jerry talks too much. I mean, is it you know it's funny? People say, well, you know, it's the high profile. Jerry doesn't pay the most in the league. Jeffrey Lorie can pay. There are places that Bob Kraft would pay. Is the Cowboys a good job?
Speaker 3: I think Jerry is desperate right now, and so I mean it's a crazy job. It is a circus. But in some ways, I mean, Will mcclay's pretty good personnel guy. You have to deal with Jerry. But when Jerry gets this desperate, which I expect him to be in the coming weeks, that's the only time he makes like big swings like you did with Bill Parcells. Now, that was to get the stadium built. But I think that I think he senses the fan base is turning on him and is getting angry enough that the Belichick thing could be real, and that is with Jerry, it has to be some sort of foundational relationship. That's why when he was still a big name or still coaching, like Holmgren was a name that made sense because Jerry worshiped Holmgren and they had this foundation together Belichick. Jerry relishes friendships with like big time, huge people, and he loves the fact that Belichick goes around saying, I respect Jerry Jones like I could work for Jerry Jones. So I think Bill's saying that to people right now. I think he's he wants back in the game enough that he would put up all the stuff with Jerry. But you see, he would handle himself just like Bill did, and Jerry, to a certain extent, would be miserable in that kind of setting. But I think it's getting to the point where he would he would seriously think about and that's where it becomes somewhat of attractive job because he would like Michah Parsons being here, and he would like a quarterback being here. And I would say, there are people out there that value Dak more than you do, and I think Belichick might be one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's I've always considered Dak like the best of the B plus guys. He and Kirk cousins. Kirk throws a better ball, Dak moves better. But they're the best of the anus B plus guys, and I think both need help. Kirk and his career has had a better stable of receivers a lot of his career. Dak's had maybe better running backs. But right now Kirk is flourishing with Atlanta. You know, Jerry and Steve and largely run personnel along with the aforementioned guy what was his name?
Speaker 3: Will play?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think Jerry would ever relinquish that to get the right coach.
Speaker 3: Not in a million years.
Speaker 1: He just believed.
Speaker 3: That's just what he believes. And there's no talking about of it. And even when somebody asked him yesterday something about are you going to take ownership over kind of what's happening, he just stopped him and he said, I am the owner now. He said, we're in the proverbial esser yesterday, And so he's admitting. But Jerry, in his mixed up way, thinks he's the only one that can ever save anything, and so to change the way this is handled now, Someday when Jerry is gone in like twenty five years, when he Stephen is, Jerry would leave word with Steven to never relinquish it. But Steven would He would operate in a different way, in a much different way than Jerry. But Jerry does lean on people, and I don't. I think Belichick is so desperate to get back in and go out in a different manner that I think he would be willing to put up with some of Jerry's stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bill wanted to make six seven eight million bucks this year just so he hadn't. You know, He's got a lot of money, but Bill wanted to stay front and center make some money. These coaches, I mean Nick Saban a minute he could get on TV. Saban's great, by the way, Belichick's fine when they get him in certain roles. He's good, but he wants to coach. I had Sean Payton at Fox for a year. Sean wanted to coach Bill Parcell's a couple of times did TV the minute coaching came back boom. It was in his blood. Some of these guys, often the less successful coaches you know who've been fired A couple of times. They you know, they like TV. They see TV is a gateway to endorsements and fun and more golf. At Belichick, you know, he's got a boat. He's not sitting on a golf course too much. He's too smart. Peyton's the same way. They're too bright, they're too driven. Are there any empty seats at Cowboy games? I mean, has the apathy spilled over to merchandising or seats?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, no? I mean and are there more visitors at Jerry World? Are there more visiting fans?
Speaker 3: Always though? I mean through good years and bad years. It'll be embarrassing when the Texans come on this current trajectory. The Texans will have plenty of fans. The Eagles will have fans. The Lions were taking over that stadium yesterday. Jerry doesn't really mind that. He hates it when I bring it up, and I've done it in the past and he gets mad like a Seattle game, you know, but he the whole spectacle of it. He's kind of okay with that. He knows he's going to fill the stadium. I think the only thing that ever would would give him pause is just like what happened a few years ago when they flexed out of a Cowboys game. Somebody did that. I think it was NBC, and that's shocking. I mean, you know, al Michaels used to joke that they would take a Cowboys game every week. What's Fox doing with Tom Brady? Like he's done like four Cowboys games, right, They're just like, let's just make him the beat guy for the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Thursday Night Football is on. It's only on Prime Video, best season yet, packed with big rivalries and even bigger stars al Michaels, Kirk Kurbstreek, Kaylee Hartung. Every week games you can't miss. Coverage begins at seven Eastern with Football's Best Party TNF Tonight Thursday Night Football Tonight. If you're not a Prime member, no problem. Sign up thirty day free trial camp Lenny Time Thursday Night Football and it's on Prime Video. Restrictions apply. Seeamazon dot Com slash Amazon Prime for details. I've said this before, I don't think Dallas is America's team. I think the Niners are. If you anywhere Denver West, the Niners fill the stadium and they're also they've been so good for majority of the last twelve years. Is I think there's such a star studded team that I think if you ask Fox executives, I mean, especially Dallas getting ripped at home. Everybody still gets Dallas. But I could see for the next three I mean, let's be honest. Now, big market Chicago with Caleb Williams, big market San Francisco, Green Bay's a big brand if Dallas is an eight to nine team. Remember the Steelers used to be on TV a lot, and they're probably the second biggest brand in the league. They get flexed out. People don't want the Steelers on television. They're boring. They want the Ravens on TV. And I do think there's something to be said. Is a not he has an ascending paycheck, He's not an ascending player. And I look at these big markets with I mean Houston gets on TV more Caleb Williams. How about when Washington matt is now good. That's like the seventh biggest city in the country. I think there's some big national markets with ascending, star, exciting quarterbacks. I can see Dallas. I can see people at Fox just saying they're just not that interesting. I mean, I found myself yesterday bailing on that Cowboy game. The second time this year. I'm like, they're just not that much fun to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish I had that opportunity yesterday just to kind of walk out of there. But I still think were one flex out in the past fifteen years. And my sense is that even when they're five hundred people are still fighting. They have them on. You make an interesting point. I still think when they go places, it's kind of crazy the amount of Cowboys fans that show up. And I'm just seen it over and over and over. So I could. I mean, I would not. I still would not make an America's team. I think the Patriots became America's most hated team. I think they you know you that used to be the Cowboys for years, and it was like Brady and the Patriots surpassed them in the villains. But yeah, I would be hard pressed to say that's happening. But I would say this to your point, if Jerry feels that happening, it'll just make him more dig in and have to bring in a coach like that like Belichick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's why Belichick makes sense. They don't with Dack's contract, they don't have a lot of offensive firepower and the truth is, their defensive pieces aren't terrible. I mean they're not, They're they're just they're all banged up. I think it's becoming such a quarterback league. I just know personally. I like watching Kansas City won, Baltimore two, San Francisco three, and I think I think Detroit and Green Bay and Chicago now, good God. The NFC North. The four leading teams in the NFL on point differential, all four in the NFC North. That is like a that's like a track teams in that diation. It's amazing how good they are.
Speaker 3: And think how how much Sean Peyton that Dan Campbell has in him right now, because I mean the most he was just a good old boy Hunter and Fisher and just an awesome guy to talk to. And there wasn't a petty bone in his body when I used to visit with him all the time and cover him as a player. Yeah, And he walked into that stadium and his sole purpose after winning was to embarrass the Cowboys in every possible way. That was the most Sean Payton behavior I've ever seen. And from the from the play one he put that he put the guy out there as the tackle legs will play and then late in the game he was doing hooking ladders with his starting offensive tackle and he's spent. He spent the better part of that game trying to rub it in Jerry's face. And what's really weird and crazy about Jerry, there's a twisted part of Jerry that kind of liked that. There's a twisted part of Jerry that was just like man, I so wish I had a coach that would do that to other people, and he doesn't have that in McCarty. McCarthy, Pittsburgh guy, respect the game, never show anybody up. That's not the way he's wired at all. So Jerry, now, as much as he hates to do it, has to run him out. And they're three and three. So he's not going to do it like Wade Phillips. He's not going to do it in the middle of the season. But he's got to do a deal kind of like he did with Bill Parcells. He's got to get the thing done with Belichick, you know, like three weeks before the season ends. He's got to get that hammered out. He's got to do it privately, and they got to get it in place.
Speaker 1: Why was McCarthy two hours late to the press conference.
Speaker 3: No, no, no good explanation. Seriously, just say and I mean like it is odd because like why does the PR group let everybody just sit in there forever they thought it was going to happen. Mike just said that the personnel some coaches meetings went long and then they had to go into personnel meetings. But you know, given what they everybody just witnessed. Of course, the media is like, what in the world's going on? But they sent him out and said there was nothing to see. And hey, one thing McCarthy's done well is he has no there's there's no interim coaches like on the staff. Okay, like there's nobody. Zimmer's defense has been so awful even when DeMarcus, Lawrence and Michael were out there. So you can't turn it over to him. What are you gonna do? Give it to Schottenheimer, you know, like he's not gonna do it. And so you have your Bones Fossil, you have John Fossil, your special Teams coach. So there's nobody to step in. Maybe Al Harris, there's nobody to do it, so he has kind of McCarthy is protected in that way. But this thing's headed toward this thing, you know, probably gonna go off the rails. And the point is they used to be able to beat all their NFC East opponents, and so this was an inflated record.
Speaker 1: The Commander twenty four and four against Washington and the Giants. That's that's sixty percent of his wins.
Speaker 3: Yes, and everybody wants to talk. But again, Jerry and Stephen want credit for those twelve wins seasons. But you're right, ton of it came in. Listen. A lot of good coaches do that. They take they take advantage of a bad division. But the Cowboys problem, of course, is they can't take that next step. And what they did against Green Bay I think that. I think the most shocking part for Jerry, and the most sickening thing to fans is that Jerry watched that Green Bay game and his response was, let's run it back and let's not change a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think what Jerry would like to say right now is I told you he would like he's not going to say it. He can't say it. I told you why I was waiting on doing this contract. Why in addition to McCarthy coaching into the last year. I kind of was okay with Dak because right now, in secret areas where I'm not andally nobody is, Jerry has to be having those conversations. This is why I kept waiting, and everybody's like, why didn't you get this done? If you'd have gotten this done a while back, you wouldn't have had to pay him. Sixty million still would have been an enormous amount, but it might not been sixty and Jerry would deep down he wondered if he had the right quarterback, but he had no recourse in the end, right Trey Lance was you know, proved to be nothing, and what are you going to do? Try to you know, you can't blow it. You've got Dak as your quarterback. You're not going to lose twelve games. There was there was, There was no He saw no way to find another solution. So but that's Jerry, I mean, that's this. That's this Cowboys team. Their solution always in the end is well, we're just gonna have to pay top of the market money. They say they don't want to, but they always end up having to do it, and then they want to claim we're the only team doing that. There are other teams doing that, right, I mean, I mean there's the teams that have star quarterbacks and star wide receivers. The Cowboys are not the only team, but they want to portray it. We're the only team in this situation that we have to commit ninety five million a year to two players.
Speaker 1: By the way, they drafted Oklahoma left tackle. What's what's the verdict on him?
Speaker 3: Just kind of like average so far? Put him in their left tackle because of that injury, Tyler Smith had to kick out there, and I honestly think they kind of like what they saw, so I think they think they have a tremendous future with Tyler Smith. Way too early on guyon to either stay he's great or say he's horrible, Like I've seen guys who are horrible. He's not that, Like he's going to be given chances. But I think that the scariest thing for anybody associated with the Cowboys is that on the past blocking grade. And I know you love PFF and sometimes you question them and you do the film work on your own. I think Zach Martin got a zero point zero on his pass blocking. His overall past blocking grade was like a twenty eight. He got crushed. He got annihilated. And this is a guy who's going to be perhaps in the Hall of Fame someday. He's been one of the best guards in the league for like close to a decade, and it seems at least in that game, it seems like it's falling apart. They're in a bat. To your point earlier about Dak, I will say that's the biggest distinction between he and Romo. Romo took players like Miles Austin and larn Robinson and Gerard on the offensive line and he elevated them. Say what you will about his playoffs, and I get that it's a fair criticism, but he was talented enough to lift kind of middling play and lift the team. And boy, Dak's not doing it right now.
Speaker 1: No, No, Tony Romo had bad offensive lines. They got good the minute he retired. So Dak has had the best running back in the league. DA's had the best offensive line on average over the last eight years. And as the offensive line is deteriorated and the running back room is regressed, it's more Dak. I always said, Romo's on a short list of the most underrated quarterbacks. In my life, I always thought he was I thought on his I thought he was great in the fourth quarter. I thought he threw a better ball than Dak. I think they move about the same. I think they both had leadership abilities. I think Dak's a little bit more of a ceo field than Tony. Romo's a little squorelyer as a guy. But no, it's a Romo never got the credit he deserves. Dak's gotten more credit than he deserves. That's my take, And I'm fine with Dak. But I said as Kirk Cousins is better than Dak. They've both made a ton but it's a sit in the pocket and throw. And kirk Cousins again is going to win his division again this year. So you know, I think if you're you can win in this league. If you're paying a ton of money at quarterback for a star Lamar Mahomes, or you can do it with a rookie quarterback on a rookie deal and surround him with stars, you cannot be a viable Super Bowl team if you're paying a B quarterback to a B plus quarterback a plus money. That's why kirk cousins deal with Atlanta. It's pretty Shrewd. It's not a bad contract, it really isn't. It's half of what the big money guys in the league, and therefore they can keep all their Drake London's and all their young receivers.
Speaker 3: It's wild, though, to watch how great Jared Goff looks, and you saw him up close and personal, and they were so ready to move off him, so ready they were like, give us like a thirty six year old dude who's taken a million hits. We need this guy out of here. And right now, I mean, like, is there anybody playing? I mean you might think of one or two guys in the in the league right now playing or hotter than Jared Goff. So it is kind of wild when you put people around them what they can do. And he's you know, and and maybe this Dan Campbell can coach a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think when you give Jared Goff a good old line in a run game, Todd Gurley, Andrew Whitworth and the Rams, he can get you to the Super Bowl. And you know, I always thought he was Matt Ryan, but better arm, better talent, but kind of Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan won an MVP and got to a Super Bowl as well. Matt Mosley does the Doom Day. Matt Moseley does the Doomsday Podcast with a longtime ESPN reporter ed Warder. So we did this before the Monday night football game. So I'm gonna watch. I think I think Aaron Rodgers is going to play well tonight. That's my guess. We'll see how it works out. But Buffalo's all up. James Cooch is not going to play the running back. That hurts a lot. They're still missing some people in the uh in the receiving course. So I think I think Aaron's gonna play well. I think Jets have a chance to win.
Speaker 3: I think Jerry was kind of jealous of of Woody for making that move, like, hey, you can do that, you can you can pull the you know you can do that this or that early into season. That's interesting that you think that. I I would think I would think it would be more of the same. Uh. But maybe they'll rally around this new coach and and they'll get something. But it'll be uh, it'll it'll be fascinating to watch either way.
Speaker 1: Matt Great senior, Zoa's buddy.
Speaker 3: Well, appreciate you having me.
Speaker 1: The volume. Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment, rate and review