Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. I'm Marie joined us now in Washinton with a special guest. I am Marie. Good morning John.
Speaker 2: That's right, I'm joined with a friend of the show, David Malpass.
Speaker 1: He's the former head of a World Bank.
Speaker 2: Of course, he was the head of the bank when Trump was in office in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: David, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: So we were talking about all morning this trade anxiety really going into the weekend because Trump yesterday said that when it comes to the pause on Canada Mexico, the twenty five percent those tariffs will go through, and then he added an additional ten percent on China.
Speaker 1: How should we be reading this?
Speaker 3: A big change in the direction of trade, But then the trading system wasn't working, and.
Speaker 1: So you think those tariffs hold for true?
Speaker 3: I think those this time the tariffs will hold. But that also begins this process of trying to adjust the whole global trading system into one that works better and specifically better for the US. This is going to quickly, I think, get into intellectual property rights and the other trading practices that China has been involved in, also transhipment and the issues of back doors into the United States with trade. So I think those will go on for months.
Speaker 2: We already know those conversations are happening in terms of the back door between Mexico and China.
Speaker 1: Almost sixty percent of.
Speaker 2: US adults though Bloomberg did a survey with Harris Pohl, almost sixty percent of US adults expect Trump's tariffs will lead to higher prices. How concerned review about this stoking inflation and potentially stagflationary fears creeping into this economy.
Speaker 3: Products are going up and down all the time, so some products will go up. But then the question is what does the US economy, this amazing economy that we have, what does it do to react? And I think there will be a huge rush by US companies to make things in the US and also to find other sources. They're already doing that. Companies are preparing. They've known this is coming. There's been some preparation time, and so they'll make adjustments and that will create jobs in new areas, which is the point on net. You get that. Plus the bigger changes that President Trump is doing is on the regulatory side, on the tax side, those are positive for output in the US. One of the important spots is energy, and I think there really will be a lot more energy produced by the US, which also is stimulative for growth.
Speaker 2: So you see the economy right now in a good place. So do you think the FED then should be on hold for the rest.
Speaker 1: Of the year.
Speaker 3: I would like to see a lower yield curve across the board, that's on the short end and the long end, and I think to do that you have to exude confidence in the US dollar and in your ability to control your spending. That wasn't being done in the previous administration. So there are opportunities now to get a lower yield curve across the board. They're not embarked on that yet. It's maybe a little early.
Speaker 1: But we know what Treasury Secretary said.
Speaker 2: He wants a lower ten yure yield, and that seems to be a key point in the markets that this administration is watching. What do you think they want to see and how can they achieve it?
Speaker 3: Stick with the eye on the prize that is abundance and you want common sense. If you really apply those two things, you will get a lower yield curve. That's because the US economy is so strong. What we're talking about with treasury rates both shortened and to an extent. Long end is is that your your confidence in your ability to pay and to pay on that and be consistent, and the US can up that these are supposed to be the riskless rates, so they can be lower if you if you create confidence within the economy and within the dollars.
Speaker 2: Do you think the FED should be cutting into a good economy.
Speaker 3: We can hope that the deregulation is implemented, the energy production is implemented, and the FED will have an opportunity to be cutting into a deregulating, faster, growing, more efficient economy.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have seen with the jojeffect.
Speaker 2: President Slash take the US out of the who usaid commitments.
Speaker 1: You used to run the World Bank. Do you think the World Bank is next?
Speaker 3: I think there'll be a look at all of the international organizations. What is the US getting for them, what's the governance structure of them? And are they doing work that's actually necessary for governments to be doing. One challenge for the IMF and the World Bank is they were created in nineteen forty four, so you can imagine that their mission has grown vague, that they're older. They served the purpose that they were originally set up to. So one of the challenges for all these organizations is to stay small and stay on mission, and I think that needs to be done.
Speaker 1: David, thanks so much for your time this morning.
Speaker 2: Jonathan, of course the former head of the World Bank under Trump one point zero David Malpass ending there that potentially imf World Bank maybe maybe next when it comes to how much the US might support them.
Speaker 1: Amory, I appreciate the update, Amrie that down in Washington, d C.