Speaker 1: In the last episode we heard a conversation with suspect Jack Lney. I must admit my gaze is turned toward him. But before continuing down that path, I needed to look into another rather infamous serial killer who could potentially have been tied to the murders of Dana Stidham and Shauna Garber, one who was active at the time in the area. At another point in the podcast, you heard about a witness reporting a white van parked behind Dana Stidham's car during the early evening hours after she left Phillip's grocery. Two men were seen standing behind or near her car and that van. In January twenty twenty four, I learned from a law enforcement source that a white van had been connected to Shauna Garber's mind as well. It was part of an interview solving Shawna's case after thirty plus years, which will impact soon. That van park behind Dana's carr plagued my thoughts, bringing to mind one very specific high profile psychopath, Larry Dwayne Hall. Hall is a serial killer, yet he's rare and that he's never been convicted of a murder. One university study on Hall claims he could be responsible for upwards of fifty or more abductions, rapes, and murders. The guy is doing life for the kidnapping of fifteen year old Jessica Roach and transporting her from Illinois to Indiana for purposes of sexual gratification, The subject of the Apple TV Plus drama Blackbird, Larry Hall was arrested in October nineteen ninety four and has been in prison ever since. With his mutton choped sideburns and backwoods Gomer Pyle like persona, Hall spent a considerable amount of time behind the wheel of his light colored van, trolling for victims throughout the Midwest and South during the late eighties and early nineties. He claimed his extensive travel was centered around the Civil War reenactments he participated in. Hall often traveled with a man he was very close to, a co conspirator in many of his crimes. Larry Hall's method of abduction is very similar to what we saw in Dana Stidham's case, and, according to some new information I've received, the kidnapping and murder of SHAWNA. Garber. Hall often tooled around suburban neighborhoods in his creepy van, following women riding bikes, jogging, or walking, then grabbing them just the right moment. A young woman alone with her car broken down on the side of the road would have been Hall's ideal situation to strike. Detective Lorie Howard, who you've heard throughout the podcast, interviewed Hall a few years ago at Buckner Federal Prison in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: I went and talked with Larry Hall, and I actually was worried when I talked to him that he might say that I did this just because he really wanted to please me. You know, I knew when I went in there he probably wanted me to stay, and I knew that he wanted to talk, so I was kind of concerned that he would do just the opposite of what happened. I thought he might say, you know, yeah, it's she's mine, and I was concerned about that. What actually happened is I slid Seans photo across the table to him, and he immediately looked at it and he said, she's not mine. Said did you kill her? And he said, no, she's not mine. So I was surprised. I really was concerned that that's not what I would get. So I knew immediately that Shawna was not his.
Speaker 1: Hall warmed up to Laurie. He came across polite, talkative, and rather open to the idea of discussing crimes he's been accused of but has never been charged with. Detective Howard pressed Hall on Dana Stidham, considering how the circumstances fit, especially that light colored van report and two men lurking around, potentially Hall and his partner. It can also not be overlooked that Pea Ridge, Arkansas, a Civil War historical site, is very close to where Dana's body was found. Hall, for his part, denied having any part in Dana's abduction and or or murder and said he was not even in per Ridge near the time she disappeared. And did you believe him?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, yeah. Larry, interestingly enough, has the reputation for being a false confessionist, if you will, although I don't believe that's the case by any stretch of the imagination, but he has that label.
Speaker 1: The thing that nagged at me about Larry Hall and Dana's case is that Larry often worked with a partner close to him, a guy very close to him, and he also drove around in a van. The cliche and two guys who could fit Larry's description and as partner were seen in back of Dana along with a van on the day she disappeared. So that worried me. So what did he say about Dana Stidham's case.
Speaker 2: He wasn't anywhere around during that timeframe, he said, I wasn't there. There wasn't a re enactment. I actually checked all of that, so there was no reason to put him in the area at that time frame.
Speaker 1: I've obtained never before heard interviews with Larry Hall and delved deeply into his crimes on my other podcast, Crossing the Line with m William Phelps, in a two part special outlining the monster Larry Hall truly is. You see. Hall had a pension for young girls, kids really and he stuck mainly to the Midwest, Illinois and Indiana, his home state, sometimes even going into Iowa. As you can hear in this excerpt from that interview, he also groomed some of his victims.
Speaker 3: My friend Steve brought her with him a couple of times in the car. She was a friend of mine. The Steve's a friend mine named Steve knew her. She was only twelve years old. She was missing too. He was a little a little bit older than me. I met him at a little shopping mall down there by eleven in Indiana where the there's a bus. The bus has come in sometimes. Now I met her a couple of times, but I didn't know her mom or nothing. I used to hang out with him in a little park down there sometimes. You know, I don't remember. I didn't know the last name, but Dabby, I believe that I'm not potty. I can't can't probably remember.
Speaker 1: The guy loved to play the ignorant card. But believe me, he knew and he remembered all.
Speaker 4: Of his victims.
Speaker 1: These guys, they do not forget. That's one reason why they sometimes take trophies, a little reminder of each and every one of their victims. As Detective Howard was interviewing Hall, he brought up another unsolf case, a big one.
Speaker 2: The other thing is he immediately turned around and told me, but I did kill the Springfield three.
Speaker 1: On June seventh, nineteen ninety two, the parents of eighteen year old Stacy McCall contacted the Springfield, Missouri Police Department, saying their daughter had disappeared from the home a forty seven year old Cheryl Leavitt, along with Levitt and Levitt's nineteen year old daughter, Suzanne Streeter. Upon officer's arrival, the Leavitt house showed no signs a foced entry or a struggle, but the three young women were gone, as if plucked out of their lives in the middle of a normal day. All their personal property had been left behind, purses, clothing, money, cars, keys, cigarettes, even the family dog. None of them were ever seen again.
Speaker 2: And that I had reason to believe there might be some validity to and I say that knowing that it's not my case beyond what he told me. But I know in his van there was evidence that had a map that had this area that had Branson that had an X on it. I know there was evidence to coroborate that, and there was a reenactment for those particular murders, but there wasn't anything in the van. It would include Dana or Shawna.
Speaker 1: Larry Dwayne Hall is evil incarnate, but I don't think the evidence supports him being the evil I have been chasing throughout this season. The reason Larry Hall has never faced murder charges is because, as horrible as it sounds the guy was able to hide the bodies of his victims very well, and as you know, neither Dana or Shauna were really hidden. With all this sevenance in hand, I could confidently exclude Larry Hall as their killer and continued down the road of Jack Lenny. Previously on Paper.
Speaker 5: Ghosts, it seems to check all the boxes for a sexual predator going into the store with a hood on their face, standing behind the women, poggling them, making circles around the store, sneaking up behind them, waiting for them in the parking lot after work, following them on the highway, trying to pull them over, in some cases, groping them.
Speaker 6: I just remember being in the basement of this individual's house and there had to been like over one hundred schools of different cords. I mean, I don't know who keeps chords. I don't keep chords, but it just was pretty ominous.
Speaker 2: It's extremely difficult, but it's not impossible. None of them were impossible. It was impossible to have this self trying, but that's gonna be solved, and it will be.
Speaker 1: My name is Emma William Phelps. I'm an investigative journalist and author of more than forty true crime books. This is season four of Paper Ghosts the Ozarks. In getting Jack Lenny on the phone, I saw an opportunity, maybe the only one I would get. Go at him hard. I told myself, hold nothing back, put the evidence from Dana's and Shawna's cases on the table, and see how he responds. Like Brandon Howard, the journalist you've heard throughout the podcast, who I might add, has built a wrong case against Lenny over the course of many years and helped me more than I can express here. I flipped back and forth throughout my investigation. I couldn't stop wondering if all this circumstantial evidence pointing to LENNI was nothing more than a series of coincidences and an overactive sense of suspicion centered around a creep. I think you have to second guess yourself if you're doing due diligence, And I was reminded that law enforcement dropped the guy as a suspect in nineteen ninety five and never spoke to or pursued him again. Talking to Lenny, however, began to change my mind, and it's hard not to take what happened during our conversations and the events that took place afterward, as decades of pent up guilt finally leaving the body of this cocky son of a bitch. I want to go back to that phone call you heard at the end of the last episode and pick up where we left off. So you have nothing to do with Dana Stidham's murder?
Speaker 7: Hell no?
Speaker 1: Did you know Danas Stidham?
Speaker 7: Hell no?
Speaker 1: There's the other case in Pineville, gray Stowe, Seana Garber murder. What about her case? Any connection to her death?
Speaker 7: Hell no.
Speaker 1: Stark defiance and obvious anger, but within it an emphatic how dare you sense of denial? At least at the outset of our conversation. You were interviewed a few times and brought in, and they searched your place and came after you pretty damn hard? Am I right?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: Why was that? You think I have no worth?
Speaker 7: Idea? They were? They were hunting for someone first.
Speaker 1: There are a few ways to deal with a hostile source, especially one who's a strong person of interest. I am not a cop, clearly, and I do not solve murders. My aim always is to develop new information and try to help families find answers. Then I hand that information off to those qualified to solve cases. Jack Lenny was never going to like me, and I could not have cared less so I could use that personal disdain to my advantage. Repetition is a good way to get what you want in situations like these. Did you kill Dana Stidham?
Speaker 7: What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 1: I don't know, which is why I'm asking either. His answers become ambiguous and suspicious to a fault. Why not just say hell no again? Why the games? Why not say, look, you have the wrong dude, I didn't do anything. How can I help you? Why not hang up the damn phone? After all, he knew I was recording the call. Now if I might ask the Sheriff's office seemed to think that you might have actually known Dana's Stidham. Why well, I have reports and statements and lots of witnesses that claim you hung around the Phillips grocery and that you knew Dana Stidam.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: What do you mean you don't know? Do you remember Dana? She worked at the store.
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: I have a problem with this. Are you certain you didn't know her?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Going back to his second interview with BCSO detectives Varner and Sidor react, Lenny was the one who brought Dana up and knew exactly who she was. But why would they go after you so aggressively if you didn't at least know her or run into her at the store?
Speaker 7: I mean, because they were looking for an escapegoat. I thought I would be the one because I was all over the.
Speaker 1: Stre Okay, So you worked construction or something like that, and you were traveling all around Bella Vista area at the time. Is that correct? Is that what you're saying? Hello, This theme of Lenny going quiet on me would continue until something extremely bizarre happened. No, so you didn't work in the area, yes, but not then that's not true, wasn't it In nineteen eighty nine, nineteen nine? You were working in and around Bella Vista.
Speaker 7: You're correct?
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're saying that you had nothing to do with Dana's abduction and murder. Then is that your statement? Is that your response? You don't know who killed her?
Speaker 7: Not done, I don't know where she was killed.
Speaker 1: For a guy who had started out our phone call by saying he knew nothing about Dana's murder. I began to understand that his temperament wouldn't allow him to walk away without explaining himself. The reports, your interviews with the Benton County Sheriff's Office, the forensic evidence found in your vehicle, the cables and bindings found in your house. You were at the Phillips a lot in fact, on the day she went missing, and you were reported as possibly talking to Dana in the parking lot. I got to ask, again, did you know Dana? What from? I have no earthly idea to knowing her someone, and then she's later found murdered. I mean, they seem to think that you were their guy. I'm just trying to explain all of these coincidences lining up against you. Sure you didn't see her the day she went missing? No, so this is all coincidental, then circumstance, you had nothing to do with danas Didham's murder.
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: Are you sure about that, because the evidence says otherwise.
Speaker 8: As much to do murder as you did. Did you have anything to do with their murder?
Speaker 1: It became increasingly clear as we chatted that the mere mention of Dana's case triggered a strong reaction, especially when I began to touch on the evidence, and yet he would not hang up on me. I live on the East Coast. I wouldn't have had the opportunity, but you did, sir.
Speaker 7: All right, Africa, Well, let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about Panama. You went down there. Did you have some trouble while there, while you were in the service with a sex worker? What happened there?
Speaker 7: I remember, I got a miss understanding.
Speaker 8: I a long trouble down there with a misunderstanding some no one, no one of the president, Kevin annoyed.
Speaker 1: Empower a misunderstanding, he says. If you recall, I spoke to a sheriff earlier in the podcast who investigated the Panama allegations, and he told me Lenny beat a sex worker while stationed in Panama. A little more than a misunderstanding. I mean, you were accused of beating girl.
Speaker 8: I thought you just wanted to know about Dais still or whatever. But you covered them all when I told you I had nothing.
Speaker 7: To do with it.
Speaker 1: Are you absolutely certain about that?
Speaker 7: I guess I wasn't there.
Speaker 1: But you were there on the day she went missing at the Phillips grocery. That's pretty damn clear.
Speaker 7: It has been so long ago. I don't even think about it.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that you were never at the Phillips that day. Why would people place you there?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 1: What is the evidence backing you up when others say different? My word, your ward alone. Could you talk to me about July twenty fifth, nineteen eighty nine, what you did on that day?
Speaker 8: I could I remember them?
Speaker 1: So the Sheriff's office came after you and questioned you hard to tell you that all these women at the grocery are accusing you of sexual harassment, following women on the way out, following them in your card. He does not deny any of the sexual harassment he's been accused of. I moved on to a subject essential to my investigation, placing Lenny at the crime scene. I wanted to get him to say he knew where it was because I knew he did. What about Beal Lane, the crime scene up there by Ozark Beverage where Dana was found. Do you know where that is?
Speaker 7: Oh? What you mean?
Speaker 1: You don't know that area?
Speaker 7: Really?
Speaker 1: Remember what he says there? It'll come back into play later on in the episode. At this point in our conversation, something really odd happens. He starts breathing heavily. Any mention of the crime scene, I realized struck a nerve. I'd found an area of inquiry that rattled him. Are you still there?
Speaker 7: Are you still there?
Speaker 1: I'm here? Are you all right? You're feeling okay? Do you remember that time.
Speaker 7: I forgot about?
Speaker 1: Lots of people think you killed that girl. You've never been up to be elane.
Speaker 7: I told you.
Speaker 1: No again, Remember what he says for a second time. No, he'd never been up to be a lane. Not where is it? Or I don't know where that area of town is, but a resounding no. This answer will become very important when we look at what happens the day after I speak to Lenny. Lots of people say different.
Speaker 7: I don't think wherever they want to.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about your ex wife. She was interviewed by the Sheriff's office. She told him a few fairly incriminating things about you, like you were acting strange around the time Dana went missing, and around that time when she was found her body murdered. You got physically ill once when her case was mentioned on TV. How do we explain that you there?
Speaker 7: Thanks for that mass the divorce she was scared of you.
Speaker 1: That's what I believe. What kind of person was your ex wife? He describes her by using an insulting racial slur, which I will not allow in this show. So I changed course. You spoke with police twice. You admitted seeing Dana that day in the parking lot. You said you might have known her. You tell me you didn't know her, which is it? No, according to the reports, you were well aware of this case as it was happening. After they questioned you a second time, they asked you to take a polygraph. There was a lot of activity around you for a time there. They were really hot on you. You know this. They came at you hard. Did you kill Danas Stidham? You there, speak to me? He doesn't say anything for about two minutes.
Speaker 7: Then you got all the information. Well why did you ask me if you already knew? Uh? Stupid, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I'm just asking questions. You don't have to talk.
Speaker 7: To me, understandfory too.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be certain he was consenting to the interview as part of the podcast, so I put it out there again. Well, I'm recording this from my podcast paper Ghosts.
Speaker 7: I don't care you.
Speaker 1: Kill that girl?
Speaker 7: Didn't.
Speaker 1: It's important at this stage to go back to Shauna Garber's case. In the last episode, you heard a vulgar caller who was later allegedly identified as Jack Lenny, threatened to cut off the breasts of the woman on the other end of the phone. In early twenty twenty four, law enforcement revealed to me that Shauna Garber's killer cut her breasts off after binding her and injecting her with a hot shot an intentional forced overdose of heroin. No knowledge of what happened to Shanna Garber. Shauna Garber, No, I don't know. You never picked her up, hitch hiking, No murder, She was likely hitchhiking, was murdered. Her body dumped on Oscar Tally Road in Pineville Anderson, Missouri. You're familiar with that area. Oh, several minutes went by with nothing but heavy breathing. Did you kill Shauna Garber?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: I got a sense he was beginning to feel the weight of what we were talking about. It was clearly worrying him to dredge all of this up. It had been thirty one year since law enforcement spoke to Lenny. Here. Now three decades later, he's having a visceral reaction, a panic attack. Essentially at the mere mention of these cases, You're okay, this interview bothering you. And then as things escalate, with his breathing increasing, he does something incredible, something in fact, you've heard him do before, when the murders of two young women were put right in his face. When we are anxious or stressed, we feel it in our gut. It's simple physiology. We've all been there, uncomfortable situationations, and dare I say feelings of guilt can exacerbate a condition known as stress nausea. We've been down this road before. Within the investigation into Jack Linny, remember that back in nineteen ninety three, his ex wife told detective Danny Varner that when Dana's case came on television one night, Lenny vomited. As my conversation with Lenny continued, I could feel the stress coming from the other end of the line. The heavy breathing, odd silences, groaning noises, the fact that he did not hang up on me. It all said something about his disposition, personality, and attitude toward the murders of Dana Stidham and Seanna Garber. Is this upsetting to you to talk about. No, so there's no way you had anything to do with Dana Didham's murder. All right, About three minutes went by. He remained silent, but every once in a while he'd let me know he was still willing to talk. Still there, Yeah, you're doing all right there. This thing bringing up a lot of old feeling.
Speaker 7: I was sick.
Speaker 1: There. It was the conversation had made him ill, not the flu or a cold. Talking about this was making Jack Lenny sick to his stomach. I did stop over there at your house when I was in Arkansas over the summer, but you weren't around, knocked on the door there, So well, just letting you know, you know, just conversation. There's no evidence that can tie you to Dana's murder. Is that what you're saying? I just want to get it straight with your You know what you're telling me. Is there anything you'd like to say to her family? Her mother just passed away?
Speaker 7: Showed your mind.
Speaker 1: Notice he doesn't say sorry to hear that, or show any sympathy whatsoever. Instead, he takes the narcissistic route and makes it about himself. I'm sorry to hear that. There's some people in law enforcement think you might be a serial killer. What do you think of that? I don't you think they'll ever find the person who killed Danas Didham? You think the person is still alive. He had nothing to do with her abduction.
Speaker 7: Only time you have to tray it.
Speaker 1: And you you've never been to Pineville, Missouri? Frequent in that area? Oscar Tally Road? What Oscar Tally Road in Pineville Anderson, Missouri?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: Not true, he told the BCSO he used to pass by the area all the time when he lived in Missouri. I was curious about a phone call. I have a report of a girl who took a phone call. It's a very vile phone call about a man who called and said all sorts of disgusting sexual things. And then they brought her in and they played her the tape of your interview and six other guys, and she picked you out of that lineup. Do you remember making that call? That wasn't you? Do you want me to stop by there next time I'm in the area and have a chat with you in person?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Are you done talking about this? Is there anything you'd like to say? Five minutes went by without a response, but I could hear him. He was nauseous and whimpering, and if you listen closely, you can hear movement. He's doing something. Any mention of the crime scenes produced the biggest reaction. Just how big I was about to learn.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm, you are right, mhm, m hmm.
Speaker 9: You okay, mhmm.
Speaker 1: This subject seems to be upsetting to you.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 1: He was vomiting, but the guy still wouldn't hang up on me. He blew his nose, threw up some more, breathed heavily, but he stayed on the line, and he had literally brought the phone with him into the bathroom. Should we say goodbye now? Anything else you want to say? This seems very upsetting to you. I'm gonna say goodbye now. I'm not getting any response from you. Is there anything you want to talk about? You have my number. I hung up after about ten minutes of listening to him breathing and trying to figure out his next move. And look, at this point, I certainly have not proven he had anything to do with either murder. The pressure I applied during this call might seem aggressive, but he has harassed women all his life. The fact that I gave it back to this bully in a small way. Tough shit. You want to taunt women, abuse women, harass them and foul them, and stalk them and intimidate them. I Am not going to hold back. This would not be the last time I confronted Jack Lenny. After the call, I contacted the BCSO and let them know what had gone down. Then I called Detective Laurie Howard and explained ending by saying, this, look, he's on the ropes. You had better get a few investigators over there, like tomorrow to interview him. Laurie Howard, along with Detective Ronda Wise and an observer, knocked on Lenny's door the following day, and you know what a difference twenty four hours can make. I obtained a recording of the interview Laurie Howard conducted with Jack Lenny the day after I spoke to him. However, because Lenny did not consent to me using it as he had from my calls with him, I need to summarize, so.
Speaker 10: I need to know if I can pick your brain.
Speaker 2: I'm here to talk about a gal by the name of Shawn at Barber. I'm hoping you can help me go.
Speaker 1: Back because I'm After introducing herself, Detective Howard mentioned Shauna Garber, which was her doorway into what Lenny had to say about Dana. Lenny used the word scapegoat yet again. What's important is that he sounds different. He's laughing and joking, being a smart ass, almost gloating when he talks to Laurie. Laurie asks him, if you didn't know Shauna or Dana, why did the BCSO just randomly pick you to drag in for an interview. He says, quote, I was at the Phillips grocery store a lot. Laurie then tells Lenny the BCSO has his DNA, which he interprets as a sample he gave them back in the day. She clarified by saying she believed that they had found his DNA on Dana. He shrugged off the statement. He then mentioned that I had called him the day before, referring to me as a joker. Here's Laurie explaining her interaction with Lenny on that day and several days after the visit, when he began calling her.
Speaker 2: Incessantly, and then he just reminds me that he is a killer, and he never once told me that he wasn't a killer, and so you know, I basically reprimanded him and said, well, you know, essentially, I don't hear you're a killer if you're not going to go into detail and tell me about that. So he switches gears, and I think it's probably in an effort to regain some power or control. So he tells me, you know, I'm a millionaire, and he said, why haven't you been back to see me? And I said, well, basically, i've been in touch with you, or better yet, you've been in touch with me, and you still don't have anything that I need. And so he said, are you at home? And I said yes, and he said are you by yourself? And I lied and I said no and he said, well, I only kill people that are by themselves. And I said, so if I was by myself, essentially you're telling me that you I would be a good candidate. And he said, I just asked if you were home and alone.
Speaker 1: At his house that day, Laurie asked Lenny what he would do if the BCSO showed up at his door with an arrest warrant. Lenny said, quote, if they try to get in, I've got a thirty eight fully loaded that I sleep with now. If you recall, he had told me he had no idea where Dana was found, but it was when I started talking about the crime scene, the one he allegedly had no idea of, that made him physically ill. A day later, talking to Detective Laurie Howard, he explained exactly where Dana was found, admitted to being out there, and even mentioned how badly her corpse smelled, referring to the smell of decomposition as sickening. And the reason for his DNA possibly being at the scene, which Laurie had floated, he said, would be because he urinated in the woods near where Dana's body was found. As they discussed the crime scene, Laurie asked why he didn't tell anyone from the bcso he had been out to the scene and saw Dana's body, which would have explained why they had his DNA. He said he didn't want to get involved. Days later, during one of more than ten phone calls Laurie received from Lenny, he says to her.
Speaker 2: I'm not afraid to give answers. He said, I'm going to die, and I said, well, before you die, why don't you tell me what you know I want to hear. And he said, I know you've worked hard, and I said, I have worked hard. I've dedicated my entire life to this kind of thing. I would really would like to wrap this up. You know, these these girls are deserving. And he said, I know I'm not afraid to die and I'm not afraid to talk. And I said, well, apparently you are. And he kind of got snippy with me a little bit. You know, well, I'm giving you answers and I said, you're not giving me answers. So we went back and forth with that just a little bit, and I said, I'm going to go, but if you want me to come talk to you, and you want me to come see you, or you want to continue to call me, then it's not good enough that you're just telling me you killed somebody. He also told me that the same person who killed Dana killed my girl. He referred to Sean my girl. He wants to tell you he's a killer. He wants to tell you he'll kill you. He point blank said it to me. If you're by yourself, I would be there. I would kill you.
Speaker 1: The big takeaway from the conversations Laurie Howard had with Lenny was that he admitted to being at the crime scene while Dana's body was out in the woods, but only after she mentioned that the BCSO had his DNA. Near the end of what was a two hour conversation during her visit, Laurie asked Lenny if he thought of himself as a psychopath. He responded by saying he was a crazy kind of guy. So she countered by asking him if he ever felt remorse, and he said, why should I, to which Laurie responded, That's exactly what Dennis Raider said to me.
Speaker 2: They called me the other night. He said I never said I wasn't a killer, and I told him, I said, well, it's not good enough. It's not good enough for you to tell me that you're not a killer if you're not gonna tell me who you killed.
Speaker 1: In February twenty twenty four, Lenny called me one afternoon. I waited a day and called him back. You called me the other day. I was wondering, what's going on?
Speaker 7: Who is this?
Speaker 1: This is em William Phelps. We talked a while ago. I'm an investigative journalist looking at Danis Stidham's case. I called you and we recorded a phone call from my podcast and I saw that you called, so I was wondering what's up.
Speaker 7: I probably just missed all in the morning thing.
Speaker 1: Oh you didn't want to talk?
Speaker 7: Uh wh I should? I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: You don't know anything about those cases.
Speaker 7: I don't really anything.
Speaker 1: Have you spoke to police lately or anybody like that or me recently within the past six months year.
Speaker 7: I told you to somebody the other day.
Speaker 1: Oh you did what you have to say?
Speaker 7: She was er the case?
Speaker 8: Sure, I said, no, well there or they instill of be either.
Speaker 1: So you know, Danas Stidham, we were talking before and you said you didn't have anything to do with that.
Speaker 7: No, I didn't. I got blamed for it. I tell you that advertation in southwest Missouri.
Speaker 1: How did it ruin your reputation?
Speaker 7: Because it was I did.
Speaker 1: Nobody even knew the guy had been questioned. His name, unlike Mike McMillan's, was never brought into the case publicly. That's just more bullshit spewing from the mouth of a guy who spewed a lot of it and likes to play games. What about the we were talking about the crime scene?
Speaker 8: I did not talk to you anybody else because I don't know anything. You're not too bright either, something. I don't know anything. I've told you that time time again.
Speaker 1: Your name is on a lot of the reports. How come they came after you so hard? They searched your house as well? In your car.
Speaker 7: Right right right? That didn't be a damp thing.
Speaker 1: Well they found blood in your station wagon in the front seat.
Speaker 7: Now, if I kills them anything, i'd load them in the front seat.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not a killer, Oh not either, are you?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 8: I just get to tell you, you're not too damn brother? If you don't understand English.
Speaker 1: What about the bindings they took from your house, rope wire, that sort of thing.
Speaker 7: Big deal. A lot of people have ropes and stuff.
Speaker 1: In the house, ropes with a murder victim's DNA on it.
Speaker 7: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: I think that's yet to be the determined.
Speaker 7: What the hell you told her me for? Well?
Speaker 1: You called me, so I'm calling you back, and I'm asking you why you called. You wanted to talk to me. I'm just being respectful here, you know. I want I want your your opinion, I want your voice and what I'm working on so you can explain yourself. That's all your explain myself. They questioned you a number of times. They questioned your ex wife, you know, your kids. They looked at your background.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: They searched your house. They searched your vehicles.
Speaker 7: Weather fine, weather fun.
Speaker 1: They found blood in your station wagon.
Speaker 7: Who's blood?
Speaker 1: Well, you tell me, why would you have a bunch of blood on the carpet of your station wagon. I've seen photographs of it. That's a lot of blood. So where would that blood come from?
Speaker 7: Who knows? You know?
Speaker 1: You it's your car. If there was blood I found in my car, I'd know where it came from.
Speaker 7: Well you would, Bud would how come? Why is there.
Speaker 1: Because it's your vehicle?
Speaker 7: Big deal?
Speaker 1: I believe there was blood also in the back seat of the car. So it is that Dana Didam's blood.
Speaker 8: Blood?
Speaker 7: Unpagging house? Who there's blood where you're pegging house?
Speaker 1: Is that danas Didam's blood?
Speaker 7: Hasa know? Is it your blood?
Speaker 1: It's not my blood?
Speaker 8: How do you know?
Speaker 1: It was a stupid comeback and he knew it. You might be wondering if that blood was ever tested. I asked the BCSO and despite luminol tests showing blood all over the place inside his vehicle, which the crime scene photos I have depict, as well as indications of blood clean up. I was told there was not enough to test. Lenny was combative this time around. I'll give him that, so I decided to touch upon the subject which had caused him so much anxiety last time. See if I got the same response. What about the Beal Road crime scene where she was found? We were talking about that before. Did you ever go walking through that woods or did you hunt there or anything more of the same silence and noises. Hello, I think you went quiet last time we talked about Beal Road in the woods there. From what I'm told, they have your DNA found out there. I think this happened last time we chatted. I asked you about Beal Road and the crime scene where Dana was found, and last time he got sick. This time you're just silent. I guess I'm gonna hang up now if you don't want to talk. You have my number. You called me so oh. It's rare that as you work on cold cases in the capacity I do, a case breaks wide open for you as you are investigating. But that is what happened as I worked on this final episode. In early March twenty twenty four, Detective Lorie Howard and Detective Ronda Wise, with the help of others, finally solved and officially closed Shauna Garber's murder, and what was first thought to be a gruesome manner of death as I had mentioned, turned out to be false. Shauna's breasts were not mutilated after all, Thank god for small mercies. I had been told about this new suspect, Telfy Reeves during the summer of twenty twenty three. The guy was a real shit bag and hit every marker your average psychopath would.
Speaker 2: There was never any manner of death in the autopsy report. The strangulation was supposition based on a lack of other things. But yes, having worked a great deal my partner, Deputy Wise, and I and especially lately, i'd say within the last six months, we have spent every day, all day long working on this and the reason is because we developed a suspect. That suspect is no longer alive, unfortunately, but what it did do when he passed, it opened some doors for people to come forward that wouldn't come forward prior to So this suspect in Shawna's case, and now I'm just gonna call him tr but I anticipate a press release coming forward very soon, so he is now a suspect. I now have people talking.
Speaker 7: I have.
Speaker 2: Finally, I think, I say, I but we have placed it and put it all together in the puzzle that it is, and I think we got it.
Speaker 1: That press release did come on March twenty first, twenty twenty four, and this narrative you were about to hear regarding Shawna's murder fell in line with Shauna seemingly being in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the devil lurking in the shadows. We've discussed the likelihood and we now believed that there is likely no connection to Dana's case.
Speaker 2: What we believe happened to Shauna. She aged out of the foster care system, and as we found out, she was adopted early on, somewhere around the age of six her adoptive parents. We call it a failed adoption because Shauna had a lot of mental and a lot of physical problems. She went back into the foster care system somewhere around eighty five eighty four eighty five eighty six. She left a foster care situation. The caseworker is known to have told family members that she was going to go stay in Oklahoma, which was a piece we didn't have for a long time. But she was going to go stay in Oklahoma because she had family there. We searched to a dead end basically on the family members in Oklahoma, which made me at first question it. But then I realized, we're probably not talking about her biological family. We're not even talking about her adopted family. More than likely, we're talking about her last foster care family's extended family, because that's really all she had. So she winds up in Oklahoma, interestingly enough, in the Vanita Claremore area, which is not too far from the Missouri line. We later learned that she was being transported via a work program via van back and forth to a job. Now we were initially giving bad information, which threw us off again. We were told that it was a different area, that this was in Kansas. It wasn't. But we figured out that the van that she was taking back and forth from the Vanita Claremore area was taking her more than likely to Hudson Foods. Hudson Foods was bought out and is now Tyson Foods, but it has always been in the Missouri area. It's in McDonald County. It actually is less than maybe two miles a mile and a half from where she was dumped. That van was taking her back and forth from the Word program back to where she was staying in the Vanita Claremore area. However, on one occasion at least she wasn't on the van. I don't know exactly what happened, but she didn't wind up there, and we were told by a witness that says t R picked her up while she was walking along that highway, which is consistent. Everybody walks Highway fifty nine going from Tyson's nol or Hudson Foods nol Over to where she would have been found walking and where we were told she was picked up, so that's all consistent.
Speaker 1: There are no pictures of Shanna Garber from her childhood teen years or later, save for one photo when she was about four years old. Her toothless smile, short hair, and overall joyous expression obscuring horrendous abuse before she had even entered into the foster care system. By March twenty twenty four, Laurie had finally latched onto, at least partially, one of the ghosts she had been chasing for fifteen long years. Here's Detective Laurie Howard again.
Speaker 2: The other thing we have put together, Ginger Blue, especially in the nineties, was a beautiful vacation spot. It had a gorgeous inn. It was a thriving place, had a restaurant and a place to stay. But towards the early nineties, I should say, back up in, say, in the eighties, it was flourishing, but when you got to that nineties area, it had gone downhill some And she, Shauna had a material that was in her pocket. I looked at that material for a really long time and determined that it was a cloth napkin. And I couldn't never understand why she would have a cloth napkin in her pocket, unless she was working at a restaurant, or perhaps she was hungry, grabbed a roll, grabbed bread and put it in her pocket. Together, we know that she had a towel wrapped around her head in coax cable. Right that towel was It's consistent with the kind of towel, the color of towel that they had at the inn. They also had an old TV system. Of course, back then cable TV with a short cox cable attached to each one of the rooms, each TV that was in each room at the old inn. So it's consistent to say that she at some point in time had ended up there around that octoberish timeframe.
Speaker 1: Did tr work at that place?
Speaker 2: He didn't work there, but he passed it every day.
Speaker 1: There was the answer to the coaxial cable and towel wrapped around Shawna's head.
Speaker 2: That stretch of highway, you really just can't get very far without going one direction or the other on that stretch of highway connects Well fifty nine runs all the way from Anderson all the way through to knowl and on end to Arkansas.
Speaker 1: So he picked her up on the road while she was hitchhiking or something.
Speaker 2: Well, she was walking, and I don't know if she was if she had missed the van and she was wanting to stay in that area, if she literally was just looking for a place to stay for that night, or if she was trying to get it job there. That's still kind of a mystery why she was walking that night, because the van would have picked her up, you know, dropped her off in the morning and picked her up in the evening after the shift. Could have been that she just was tired of working and tired of living where she was living and opted to go a different route.
Speaker 1: And tr You know a lot about him, and not a great deal. He was a bad guy, am I right?
Speaker 4: It was a.
Speaker 2: Terrible I have one witness, five sources, and I personally knew the man and everybody that has ever known him, and I'm going to be one of those those people. He was evil, He was pure evil. He ran drugs, He used drugs all of his life. He had two children that passed from gunshot wounds. He had an ex wife that had a hillacious life by all accounts, I mean, just by digging into his life with her. So I can't imagine having this person around me. And now I can imagine why nobody really wanted to speak, right, because why would you?
Speaker 1: I mean, Shauna crossed paths with the devil.
Speaker 2: She did, She most certainly did. And you know what, of course she would, of course she would yea if there was a wrong turn. The girl to icket through no fault of.
Speaker 1: Her own, right, the invisible girl.
Speaker 2: She's completely invisible and I say that because there's no one cared enough to even take a picture of her. And I don't know why that bothers me so, but it does.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Yeah, And so you develop information that trs her up and what happens.
Speaker 2: He has a person of interest with him at the time, we were able to determine through both a witness and other sources. Now five other sources, we've been able to corroborate this story that he takes her. Now, remember, this is a drug fueled frenzy, spun out mess with somebody that I've been told is almost bipolar, can be seemingly somewhat normal, and then just angry, so angry that you're terrified to be in his presence. So he picks her up along with another and he takes her up the road where by the way he lives, you can see his home by looking directly across from where she is, and he binds her with what they have in the back of the vehicle. I think the cox cable was done initially to wrap her face so she wouldn't see what was happening, so she wouldn't see where they were going, so she wouldn't see where she was Because I don't think he cared whether he saw her face and how afraid she might have been. I've been told that that just would have made things better for him, So I believe he did it to keep her from knowing where she was going. I think he took the towel. From the end, he used the cox cable, which I always thought was odd. Couldn't figure out why anybody, especially somebody that's a serial killer or basically a farm boy, either one somebody local, You wouldn't tie somebody with cox cable. It's the worst possible medium. But I think he did it just because he didn't have anything else at the time. Put it across her face and neck, and that's where that entered in. Then also from the end, she had the napkin in her pocket. He took her up to the road. They tied her the rest of the way with what they had in the back of the vehicle. I now know who that vehicle belongs to, which was a hang up for a while. They raped her and she was screaming so badly, and so it breaks my heart. But she was literally screaming so much that you could hear the echo down the valley, and it scared them.
Speaker 1: This explains the screams on Halloween. Laurie Howard and Ronda Wise spoke to six different sources, none of whom knew each other, each telling the same story. This is how we know we have the absolute truth. This next part from me exemplifies and truly displays the sociopath's absolute pathology.
Speaker 2: Who are and so my witness says that he's laughing as he's telling this story later on in the evening, But they start to get nervous because somebody. They know that there's a party down the hill, they know that it's a bunch of kids, they know it's a Halloween. But they start to get They start to get nervous. So he overdoses her, which, by the way, come to find out, is a pretty standard practice because I'm told this wasn't his first victim.
Speaker 1: So he gives her a hot shot.
Speaker 2: He gives her a hot.
Speaker 1: Shot, and then what does he do.
Speaker 2: He I have My witness states that she believes and this is according to what tr says, that he props her up, and she says she she thinks that it would have been on an old spickett, an old water spigut. I don't know I can't confirm that, so I don't really want to say that that's the case. But essentially she's propped up somehow. Why I don't know.
Speaker 7: And then.
Speaker 2: T R and person of interests leave. They then go and talk to someone else and they're talking about everything that they just did to her, and they're laughing and they think it's funny, and they're reliving every moment. Now, remember this just happened. And so what happens the next morning? My witness goes next door or I should say, up the hill, and sure enough, she sees everything that she thought she.
Speaker 1: Would see, and Shawna was dead.
Speaker 2: Shauna was dead.
Speaker 1: And did they mutilate her at all?
Speaker 2: No? The story that was given by one source stated that she had her breasts removed or sliced. I've had more than one source come forward with TR and say no, he did not cut her breast off.
Speaker 11: Okay, thank god for small things.
Speaker 1: So wow, So yeah, I can understand why witnesses would have been afraid of coming forward until he died.
Speaker 2: They were terrified.
Speaker 1: And he died a horrible death, right, I mean, he died in an accident a vehicle.
Speaker 2: He did, he died in a vehicle accident. I'm told it was a horrible death good and you know what, I'm okay with that. And I know that sounds.
Speaker 1: Callous, No it doesn't.
Speaker 2: But but on the other hand, my feelings for Shauna and in any case that I work, but Shawna in particular, and I'm told I look like Shawna.
Speaker 1: Shawna was like the daughter to you.
Speaker 7: She was.
Speaker 2: She absolutely was. I took her with me everywhere I went. You did, and that's because I didn't want to lose her again. I had to find her in the first.
Speaker 1: Place, and you solved the case. Nathan Smith was no longer the Bentonville prosecutor. He left the office during the time I began this case years ago and finished my work in twenty twenty four, taking a job on Walmart's legal team. But the last time I spoke to him about the cases, he said a few things that I think sum up this season very well.
Speaker 10: Well, Look, I think that first of all, I appreciate you doing the story, and I know there's a lot of cases around the country that are cold and have families that the one answer is just as badly, but it is so important for these cases to not be Forgod and to not be just shelved. And so one of the things important is there could be someone listening who knows something, who knows someone, who is related to someone that maybe their entire family thinks, you know what, he has always acted very suspiciously and has all these connections, and I would just for the sake of Dani's family, I would just beg them to get that information to law enforcement or to someone who can use it, because oftentimes in cases like this, it can be small things that make the difference. It can be a small key that unlocks a door to an avenue that no one knew was there. And we have to value human life and we can't simply forget about it because it's old and it hasn't been solved yet.
Speaker 1: Finding answers and resolution in cold cases requires persistence and patience. In the end, as one case was solved, the other heading in that direction, I hold on to hope that someday soon Dana Didham's family will get what they deserve justice. Subscribe and foul the show to keep up with bonus episodes coming soon. If you appreciate the work I do on Paper Ghosts, follow my other podcast, Crossing the line with em William Phelps, where I approach new cases each week in a similar fashion. I want to thank every one of my sources and those who took the time to help sit in for an interview or discuss the case with me. I can't say enough how much journalist Brandon Howard helped me out, and I thank him immensely for it. I also want to thank my Paper Ghost production team, Catherine Law, Rose Bachi, Matt Russell, Brandon Dicker. Paper Ghosts Season four is written and executive produced by me Em William Phelps, grip consulting by Rose Bachi, sound design by Matt Russeller, executive production by Catherine Law, and audio editing and mixing by Brandon Dicker Taka Boom Productions. The series theme number four four to two is written and performed by Thomas Phelps and Tom mo