Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all day two of the Dan Patrick Patrick. Yeah, Covino and Rich. Always a pleasure filling in for Dan Patrick. And thank you Fox Sports Radio Nation, Dan Patrick fans for hanging out with us, putting up with us live from the MLB All Star Village in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: It's the ultimate baseball hot spot.
Speaker 2: You could be part of the excitement here at Capitol one All Star Village through the day. Head to the Cobb Gallery for baseball fun, live entertainment, interactive games. Buy tickets today at All Star game dot Com. And again, you never know who's gonna stop by. Coach Ballgame. Who's such a big deal stopped by yesterday? That guy is really blowing up as we speak. And I heard Brian Jordan's in the area. He might be stopping by it. But again, you never know. So yeah, we hope you stop by. If not this year, maybe next year. We'll see you Coveno and Rich Monday through Friday two to four on the West, five to seven on the East. Search Covino and Rich wherever you stream your podcast. We'd love to hang out with you on the daily. But let's talk a little baseball, football, basketball, whatever you're into, because what would you give up.
Speaker 3: If it meant your team could win it all.
Speaker 2: Now we're gonna give away prizes today, we might do some trivia, so stick around. But Rock Party was in the news at the end of last week. I believe we're sitting there in the studio we're watching Rock Party being interviewed. We're not listening, we're just watching it, and we're saying to each other, Look how young he looks. Man, it looks like a schoolboy, his kid. I think he had his hat on backwards. He's sitting there. And the caption was, I'd do a year in prison if it meant my team could win it all.
Speaker 3: I'd spend a year in the Big House for a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: And just the other day we were talking to some baseball fans, obviously, and Jaron Durant came up of the Red Sox, and according to Red Sox reports, Jaron Durant has pledged that if they won the World Series, which isn't gonna happen, I mean, there's streaking, but beat it right, I mean they've won.
Speaker 3: Ten in a row. I mean the Yankees fan, you are so of course you're gonna say.
Speaker 2: Jaron Duran, the Vato local forever, pledged to donate fifty percent of his World Series bonus the charity supporting children who love baseball but can't afford to play, should the team win a World Series.
Speaker 3: So he'd give up half of his bonus if they won it all.
Speaker 2: And it just got us thinking, well, what would you give up if it meant your team could win it all? I think those two examples are so extremely different.
Speaker 3: Rock Perty said he'd go to jail for a year. I mean he needs it. Duran said he'd give up.
Speaker 2: Like bonus, half of his bonus money if Duran wins. That's money he wouldn't have got anyway. Brock Perty saying he'd go to the big house.
Speaker 3: Still meant to be a nice gesture.
Speaker 2: Bro He didn't like make that quote in hopes that rich would dump on it. It's meant to be like, you know, if we win, I'm giving the charity. It wasn't meant to be a bad thing. I get what you're saying. It was meant to be a good That would be like if you told me, hey, covin on ritch, you guys win the Award for a coolest Guys to fill in for Dan Patrick. And I'm like, well, you know what, I'm gonna give half of my little bonus I didn't even think was coming to a good car.
Speaker 3: Still yours, Gunberger. Still your money. You don't do anything, but you don't have to give it to anybody. Brock Perty said he'd go to jail.
Speaker 2: I'm you want to go ail the sacrifice. I'm just giving you the two recent storm.
Speaker 3: All right, I'll give you. I'll give you something we did years ago. We were in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: In fact, I remember, by the way, why do you got me defending Jaron Durant? I don't care about that. Ask clown anyway. All right, let's go back to twenty thirteen, twelve years ago. I remember that because I was in New Orleans with you. My forty nine Ers lost the Super Bowl that year as the Battle of the Harbaja Brothers, and I remember you and I were on Bourbon Street having some hurricanes, probably looking at some booties, doing our usual comunale rich.
Speaker 3: Thing, and we were asking people on the street.
Speaker 2: As a bit how long would you give up six if it meant your team won NBA title, World series super Bowl, and I'd be shocked. There are some guys that I questioned if they even cared about their team, because like not a day and I'm like, man, this guy must be getting lot of booty. Then other guys said things like a year years and some years years. I mean, you have to question two where they're getting any to begin with.
Speaker 3: But there's some guy hearing a lot of that.
Speaker 2: I was surprised to hear that people would be willing to do that for a year if it meant their team one.
Speaker 3: He's like, man, you're really desperate for a win.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: I think Brock even alluded with busting with the boys that he may give part of his pinky finger, he'd cut off part of his pinky finger on his non throwing hand.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like a major burden.
Speaker 2: It's like a major monkey on your back if you have to play your career not getting to that promised land, not winning so again, to win one and then play the rest of his career out mean a lot.
Speaker 3: To a rock party.
Speaker 2: You know, it's one thing to get there, but it's another thing to win it all. So I think that would mean a lot.
Speaker 3: Clearly, if.
Speaker 2: Guy like you, what if I told you you're gonna put on like ten pounds if the Yankees want, no, I won't do it.
Speaker 3: I won't do it. You know, I spoiled the Yankees fan. How are you all right?
Speaker 2: Coveno and Rich here at All Star Village.
Speaker 3: And it's a pleasure.
Speaker 2: It's so cool because we bring this guy up often on our show.
Speaker 3: I'm proud to say that, let's welcome Brian Jordan. What's up?
Speaker 2: What's it's Atlanta Royalty. We bring you up because I feel often your name is not brought up enough enough. When when people talk about, oh, you see what shoe Hail Tani's doing pitching and hitting, and then everyone goes well Bo Jackson and Dion and I'm like, and Brian.
Speaker 5: Jordan, yeah, man, you feel a little burned by that? Or tell everybody I'm the Rodney Danger feel the two sport athletes. I get no respect, respect, But you know I've always been that way, been humble, just going out and doing my job and going home.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know, like I tell everybody, I didn't get the exposure that those guys got at college level, you.
Speaker 6: Know, go to a smaller.
Speaker 3: College and is that what it was?
Speaker 5: You think, well that, and I broke my leg and dislocated my ankle in the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 6: So here it is.
Speaker 5: I was first round in Major League Baseball by the Cardinals, and I was supposed to be first round in the NFL until that injury. Broke my leg dislocated my ankle in the Senior Bowl. In the first quarter of the game, I started running across the field to make the big hit on Cleveland Garrier University of Miami back in the day, and bam, my own teammate took me out. So it was a different route for me, you know, because I was.
Speaker 3: Around a different time too. Yeah, coloading was different, like exact.
Speaker 2: Imagine if social media is the thing for all we know, he could have been dancing on TikTok.
Speaker 3: You could have been the most personable of all the guys, you.
Speaker 6: Know, and you asked Lean about my dancing.
Speaker 3: It's awful, But hey, maybe you had been more famous because of that exactly, But dude, you're still legend.
Speaker 2: The thing is, you're more of a when we talk about these things, a zinger when it should be an automatic. But we're gonna make it that way because anytime someone brings up Bo Jackson or Deon Sanders, Brian Jordan should be in the conversation easily, pro bowler, All star, a guy that did it all. And you played in the big leagues for fifteen years, dude, and so it's not like you just uh were there for a couple of coffee and left. You were there for a long time. To eighty two banning average, which, by the way, nowadays is that's like, oh my two.
Speaker 6: I mean the league average is like two forty right now.
Speaker 3: What do you think when you hear that?
Speaker 5: It's the game has changed tremendously where you know, back in now day, strikeouts mint something, right, you didn't want to strike out and you wanted to win the ball game, so you did whatever you sacrificed for the team.
Speaker 6: You know, we don't see that anymore.
Speaker 5: It's about you know, launching, launch angles and everything else. So analytics has taken over.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I played for one of the greatest managers in Tony L. Rooster, who was to me analytics before it was the analytics because he used to.
Speaker 6: Save all those numbers.
Speaker 5: And I remember I was hot as a Tamali man as far as I was on fire hits and I came in and my name wasn't in the lineup, and I go into Tony's office.
Speaker 6: It's like, dude, what's going on? I am hot man?
Speaker 5: And he said, while you're hitting so and so off of sid and uh, I'm gonna start I'm like what, Yeah, but he was analytics before they were and you know, now hack all the Harvard boys in town and it's nothing but analytics. Man, So get the ball in the air. No more ground balls. And that's so different from when we played man.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I wonder when you just said that when you weren't in the lineup. I always wonder those days. Is it a nice break? Or when you're a competitor, do you want to play every day? Like if you're like I'm a Mets fan, you know, you go to the ballpark, it's like, oh uh, you know Peter A Lonzo is sitting there.
Speaker 3: He doesn't want to shit, does he ever? Or no?
Speaker 5: No, no, I mean our mindset is you want to play every day, every day. I mean, but reality is your body's gonna get tired.
Speaker 6: You might need a day or two.
Speaker 5: You know, you look at Olsen here, who's played every single game in the last two three years. You know, that's unheard of, the cal Ripken. I don't think anybody's ever gonna break that record. That's just amazing.
Speaker 6: Man. To be able to play every day, is that's something different anyway?
Speaker 3: I mean, goy questions for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A hundred and eighty four home runs right, one hundred and eighty four pre home runs if you were swinging for the fences all the time, if you played in today's game, probably.
Speaker 6: Four hundred home right at least. Man, But that wasn't my game.
Speaker 5: My game was I'm gonna use all my tools speed, you know, depending on the game, the situation, I'm gonna get the guy over or drive him in hitting the ball the other way.
Speaker 6: That just doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 5: Man, If they don't want you to put the ball on the ground, which is crazy to me.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I will be trying to launch every.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't care about strikeouts like these guys, I'm swinging for the fences.
Speaker 2: When you have all these skills, again, they put you in great position in the NFL and MLB. Who were you most proud to play alongside and against?
Speaker 6: Wow? Well, Andrew Jones, who's with me? Should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: And I even saying that guy was there was a point in time where he was like a gazelle outfield and he was hitting bombs like and he was so young.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you.
Speaker 5: Look at his numbers though, and he still hit over four hundred home runs. He was one of the probably arguably King Griffy and Hill are the best center fielders. And you know, we can go way back and Willie Mays too, So I mean, he was one of the best center fielders in our time. So defense alone should put him in the Hall of Fame in my eyes, I agree. I hope he gets in. But playing alongside here was just so much fun.
Speaker 2: Man, and against like who do you often bring up like Man? I can't believe I competed with that.
Speaker 6: No, Barry Bonds, Man awesome. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't want to cuss on air, but man, he was one of the freaking best hitters ever.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Barry Bonds recently said though he thinks the only guy in his category, He said he thinks King Griffy Junior, if never injured, would have been the best player of all time.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 5: I agree that swing he had, Man, and you know, just his his attitude. I mean every ball you hit, he wants to catch. I mean, that's that's the way the game is supposed to be playing. Now, guys, let those balls drop because they you know where the agents are saying, stay healthy.
Speaker 6: Stay on the field, you know. But we played reckless.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: It was like laying on the line. We went in today and uh a little different.
Speaker 2: Being a You're a guy that played football and baseball on the highest level, at the highest high pro Bobler and All Star. What feels better hitting a bomb or picking the ball off? Sacking a quarterback?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What is the what is the sports feeling that? That?
Speaker 5: That's tops mine is hitting the damn receiver coming across the middle.
Speaker 6: I love the hitting part. Man.
Speaker 5: You get to interception. If I intercept the ball, pissed it back to Dion anyway, man. So no, it was about hitting for me. I was one of those safeties. I love to hit and Uh. I used to tell Dion, I don't care. I'll hit the guy as long as you cover intercept the ball in school and that's all I care about.
Speaker 3: Man, I gotta bring this, uh.
Speaker 2: Brian Jordan hanging out with Covino and Rich We mentioned Dion Sanders, We mentioned Ken Griffy Junior, we mentioned Barry Bonds. As a baseball fan, I think in my bedroom, I think of guys like Willie Randolph and Dave Winfield. How do we get more black players involved in MLB because it's so much excitement.
Speaker 3: There were some of my heroes growing up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that was the great thing about this week is being able to manage the HBCU game for me, you know, to meet those black players who don't get the exposure that they deserve. And you know, here at truest part, these guys showed that they could play this game at the highest level, right and they performed very well. So hopefully we had some scouts there to see that. In some of these as we'll get an opportunity.
Speaker 2: But is it the path to the pros that made that just NBA NFL? It seems like there's more of a clear path to the money and the pros where baseball.
Speaker 6: Baseball is a grind.
Speaker 5: And I remember when I first decided to play Major League baseball, I got drafted by the Cars. I'm at Assie Smith with a McGee and those guys and they're teasing me. You know, Hey, you know, baseball is where it is, and I'm like, man, you guys are whimps football players, man, we hitting and crushing each other. My first full season of baseball, I remember going back to Ozzie said, I had a new respect for you guys, man, because it's a grind.
Speaker 6: Six two games is.
Speaker 5: A grind, and it's the hardest game I've ever played, you know, to be consistent every day. So but I still football was my favorite. Loved the game of football.
Speaker 2: But but it seems like, as I'm gonna quote the Dean Sanders, your boy, baseball's popping right now, so that.
Speaker 5: I'm mad at my parents having me so early. Man, I playing this day and age Colley. You know, it's having one hundred million dollars for player.
Speaker 3: I was looking.
Speaker 2: I was looking at some of your sweet signing bonuses and like, unfortunately, the money now is a lot different.
Speaker 5: You know it is, man, and you know, kudos and those guys. I mean, man, that's where the finances have gone. I mean, to me, major League Baseball is doing really, really good when you look at these big contracts going out and the whole nil and everything has changed the whole landscape of sports. Man so man, I have an eight year old, a thirteen year old. Now you know, I can't help but think about, man.
Speaker 3: They got the skills to get there. Because we just saw that the draft this year. Famous teams.
Speaker 2: They're like, you know, every everyone we grew up with their kids or nephews are now, you know, getting drafted.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: And I had two older boys, and I never pushed them, you know, because I knew the grind and I knew I didn't want my.
Speaker 6: Kids to have to go through that.
Speaker 5: But now it's like, you know, my next three boys coming up, I'm like, man, you better grind, you know, because the opportunities are there. You know, we didn't have those opportunities. Kids today have those opportunities. So you're you gotta grind your kids, man.
Speaker 2: Brian Jordan, Hang, you know, rich, Baseball, football, both games have have evolved and changed.
Speaker 3: What's uh? Which one do you think more so?
Speaker 2: Becus you said you love hitting the receiver going to the middle, which you can't really do anymore. You were playing small ball when you had to not really the game anymore.
Speaker 3: Which have you seen change more?
Speaker 6: Both of them?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, especially and not understand NFL. You have to try to make the game safer. Uh, it's tough for me to watch some.
Speaker 3: Of those What a great hit in the flag comes out.
Speaker 5: Right, And I know the it's all instinctive in football, you know, So it's hard to sit here and try to tease somebody.
Speaker 6: Oh, you gotta put your head to the side.
Speaker 5: But when you're going one hundred miles an hour with that reality wise, you're gonna make hits.
Speaker 6: Helmet the helmet, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: So I don't think those guys should be suspended and all that stuff.
Speaker 6: Man, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, throw the flag in fifteen yards, but don't penalize the kid and take him out of the game in a big college game when you need him the most. I hate that rule. But you know, technology is taken over, so all this different equipment and everything else are getting examined in baseball and football. So the world is changing, so you know sports is gonna change too.
Speaker 2: All Pro nineteen ninety one, All Star nineteen ninety nine, The game, All Star Game is tonight. Tell us about the excitement of playing in an All Star Game, the feelings you have.
Speaker 5: You know, it's an honor to be able to play in an All Star Game represent your organization. But I'm gonna be honest, man, that ninety nine All Star Game was probably one of the best ever to have Ted Williams and a golf cart. Come on, really, that was the one the greatest players in the middle of the field before the game.
Speaker 6: Didn't get any better than that, man.
Speaker 5: But I must say, although I enjoyed making an All Star Game, when you got one hundred and sixty two games season, you almost what those three four days that's just spend with your family, man. But I enjoyed it. I bought my family and it was a great experience.
Speaker 3: But I was like, man, and you're an All Star for the rest of your life.
Speaker 5: You are for the rest of your life, and all I needed was one talent. I don't want to make it again because that those four days are important.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: You probably got some great I mean the footage is there, but some great pictures from those moments and all those legends that were there.
Speaker 5: That was that was one of the best home run derbys you can even imagine, with Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, King Griffy Jr.
Speaker 6: Bury Bonds, uh A Rod was in that one.
Speaker 2: I mean it was Can you understand why why you guy like Aaron Judge or Show Hey or Pete a Lonzo would sit it out or do you think those guys should be encourage them, like get in there, because that's what ruined the Slim Dunk Contest the Stars.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't want to party.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: You know what the difference is now DC guys are making so much money you don't want to risk it. You know, agents are telling them now it's gonna mess your swing up, you know, stick with you know.
Speaker 6: Look you're talking about m v P. Judge.
Speaker 5: I mean, the last thing you want him to do is going to slump swinging for the fences.
Speaker 6: And he's three.
Speaker 3: Six, he's incredible circus numbers. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: It's almost like he's still playing old school baseball. He'll take his walks, he'll hit the home runs, but he hits for average. He'll get he sacrifices for his team. He takes the walk and scores with his speed. I mean, that guy has all the tools in the world. I love Aaron Judge, and he's a very humble player. Yes, that's the greatest thing about him.
Speaker 3: He says. He follows that there a cheater.
Speaker 6: Well, that's one of the best to follow for real.
Speaker 2: Now not too bad off the field, Jeters resume with the women equally.
Speaker 6: I'm standing out of that out of that one.
Speaker 2: Hey, last night was the derby. It was electric. You know, we had a great time. Jazz Chisholm hit three home runs. Can we talk about the pressure involved.
Speaker 6: It's a lot of pressing.
Speaker 5: I was matter of fact, I was in the suite doing that home run derby and I was with a New York Yankee fan and I looked at it and said, take that.
Speaker 3: New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah he did.
Speaker 2: You think he is beating himself up a little bit today or he pressing?
Speaker 5: Man, that's some pressure able to when you're a home run not so much a home run hitter, like known for your power, but he's a great player. It's different when you're in the game situation and somebody's throwing one hundred miles an hour when you're just reacting, but with the pressure of you got it's like BP coming at you and you gotta muscle those home runs out.
Speaker 6: It's tough to do. Man, I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: I got one last question, so I know you're a busy guy. They roll out the red carpet for you here in Atlanta. Man, you're the guy of all the athletes today. You played again baseball and football. Who else could you see doing that if they would allow that in today's world.
Speaker 5: Mike Trout is one guy that really I felt like looking at his body, looking at his speed, looking at the way he handles, handles himself.
Speaker 6: That was my guy to be able to play right now.
Speaker 2: What about when Jerry Jones said that Lebron could be his tight end any day?
Speaker 3: Do you think Lebron could play?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, man, I'm never gonna discount Lebron. Man.
Speaker 5: Lebron can do whatever he wants to do. Man keeps hisself in great shape. You know everybody, you're in great shape. You retired, and what you never know some guys when they retire.
Speaker 3: You see it all the time.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, But you know I still got little kids right around. If you buy, I'm not gonna let them outrun me yet. Nice, I'm still I still got it.
Speaker 2: Brian got one last question, Brian, Jordan, here, Covino and Rich what uniform do you think you look the sweetest in football or baseball?
Speaker 3: Where you're like when you put it on, You're like, I.
Speaker 5: Look football football, you got those tight pants?
Speaker 3: Falcon everwere in the bedroom?
Speaker 6: You got man?
Speaker 3: No, hey, dude, it's so cool to have you on.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: We said, anytime Bo Jackson comes up, Deon s Anders comes up, moving forward, everybody listening, We're proud to say we always bring up Brian Jordan.
Speaker 3: Always.
Speaker 6: Thank you, appreciate, thanks for giving us the time.
Speaker 2: Oh I guess Brian Jordan with Covino on Rich and for the great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: And we've got a bunch coming up.
Speaker 2: We are going to talk about what you would give up for a championship as a fan, So we'll get to that, plus a bunch more. Covin on Rich live from Atlanta, All Star Village on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search f s R to listen live.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's me Rock Parker.
Speaker 7: Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of pipe in hot baseball talk, featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Whether you believe in Analytics or the I Test. We've got all the bases covered. New episodes drop every Thursday, so do yourself a favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Cavino and Rich, I want to thank Brian Jordan for stopping by again.
Speaker 3: What a good dude. Yeah, nice to talk to him.
Speaker 2: CNR in for the great Dan Patrick live from MLB All Star Village here in Atlanta. Still driving that trusty old ride. Keep you looking sharp with Mako from dense to faded paint. We've got you covered. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. I'm Cavino if that is Rich and Danny g. You saw Brian Jordan's sort of in action in Atlanta, right, So what was the reaction he was getting from the local fans out here in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: I think you guys said it best when you said royalty because the moment Spotty and I walked into Truest yesterday, I saw a group of Braves fans gathered and I thought maybe they just knew each other and were hobnobbin or whatever. But no, right in the center of them, was Brian Jordan, and I heard some more fans saying bj and they ran over. They were taking photos with him, and he was so nice, impersonable with all the fans, just like he was on the air, and I did see him in action. After that, he got stopped again on his way to the suite he was walking to.
Speaker 2: Really impressive career when you think about it, I'm glad he stopped by it, because again he does get the royal treatment out here in Atlanta. Now, I do want to thank Iowa see him back at the studio and.
Speaker 3: Thank you Sam Mark for hang now.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you Iowa, Sam, Danny g super producing at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox Spots on the videos at Covino and Rich and you can watch a lot of this on Fox Sports Radios YouTube page. I want to shout out everybody listening on the iHeartRadio, w app or the podcast in the future, and of course Rich all the affiliates. Thank you guys for hanging out with us. Hey, don't hesitate to Addis in the afternoon. If you enjoy us filling it for Dan Patrick, we appreciate it. Adis in the afternoon. I'm not gonna argue that exactly. I have a question, Danny, you got your Otani shirt on today. Are you rocking that tonight or what?
Speaker 4: No, I saved my jersey that I brought for tonight's All Star game and the jersey I brought his Bets.
Speaker 3: Oh that.
Speaker 2: This brings up an interesting point. One side note. This is the first time I think in a long time where the players are actually wearing their respective uniforms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've been doing that, but not really.
Speaker 2: They announced it today because they were wearing the other ones. They're wearing the A L n L last night. They're wearing the actual jerseys tonight. So the National League will be wearing home jerseys American League road jerseys.
Speaker 3: But Mookie Bets, I believe, isn't here.
Speaker 4: Dan, he's still a legend.
Speaker 3: He's a former our buddy.
Speaker 2: Sean hit us Up who's listening on our affiliate Los Angeles five to seventy. He said, can you wear because we have a strict torul about Let's say you're going to a Padres Phillies game. You wear Padres gear, Phillies gear or nothing. Don't don't be rocking your Red Sox shirt. If the Red Sox aren't playing. So my question is at an All Star game, do you have to represent a guy that's in the game. Like I got my medal, I got my big fat no, I got my meds door today.
Speaker 3: Good for you. You have your Aaron Judge. It's mine is just a no Way jersey.
Speaker 4: It seems too coordinated to calculated.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, you can't wear some you can't wear a Cardinals jersey to an Orioles Red Sox game, which just makes no sense.
Speaker 3: To wearing Mookie Beds jersey.
Speaker 2: He's a an MLB legend, he's a former All Star. It doesn't even have to be an All Star. Guys out here wearing random braves jerseys. I guess you're saying you're you're just representing your team regardless, regardless, especially the fact that he's a former All Star and should be an All Star.
Speaker 3: He's an All Star caliber player. That gives it more credibility.
Speaker 4: He don't receive a lot of votes, he just didn't make the final cut.
Speaker 2: I don't think that applies to this at all. But yeah, they're wearing their their jerseys tonight. They are away jerseys. That's why I'm wearing the away Yankees jersey today. You know, it's an interesting thought, but I don't think they have to be an All Star if you're gonna be wearing their particular jersey. I'm not much of a jersey guy because I don't know. I just feel like the usage of it. They're expensive and.
Speaker 3: You I'm just not a guy that wants to collect jerseys. I get people do.
Speaker 2: Here's my question, though, if you're gonna get a jersey, you're either gonna get a legend for your team or the current star you know that's gonna be around the while. Like it's pretty it's pretty safe to buy an Aaron Judge ninety nine or a showy.
Speaker 6: Way.
Speaker 2: Speaking of I saw a lot of solo jerseys last night and they were getting booed. He's not an All Star, but it's a safe purchase because he just signed the fifteen year concept.
Speaker 3: So I back you up on that.
Speaker 2: You know, you know you don't buy a Scheme's pirate jersey right now because is he gonna be a pirate much longer?
Speaker 3: Like you make smart investments for the jersey. Here's my question.
Speaker 2: I know it's a piece of memorabilia and it's a memory, but I never understood. The people that buy like the weird one off jerseys, like the All Star the city connects are great. But I'm saying, like, you know, in the past, they would have like let's say the game was in San Diego, all the jerseys might be sort of brownish and yellow.
Speaker 3: Gus, it's Padres.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you why. We're very fortunate. We get to a go to a lot of events, a lot of things. For a lot of people, it's like the biggest event they've been to ever. So they want a commemorative jersey to remember it because it's in a jersey will last you a long time. So when it says, you know, All Star Game nineteen ninety nine, there's a patch on there. That was a major purchase for them. These jerseys back in the day were like one hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 3: Back then, that was a lot of money. Remember they were even more now. Remember it would just be like National League and it would have your teams to.
Speaker 2: Commemorate that moment for the person that really spent their harder money to travel to whatever city that was it. You're saying, it's a good memory, it's a good memory piece for sure. And then it's a bragging right when you wear it, you know twenty years later that's why, and you know what, you're you're less of a jersey guy. Like this stupid plane away jersey I bought. I bought this in like ninety six or ninety five, and I'm still wearing it all these years later.
Speaker 3: That was like a major investment.
Speaker 2: We would that be That's why it's so oversized with that because I was wearing this in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Would that be weak?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 2: If they see the Yankees, you sort of lucked out. They're one of the few teams that never ever changed their jersey. M every other team I think in Major League there's subtle difference. Is it safe to say every other team in baseball has made slight adjustments? Even the Dodgers would the red or the blue of the number. Every team has made some type of adjustments over the year. There are subtle It's like, you know, the new year of the car comes out, like the Yankees away jersey doesn't have these stripes on it that I have. Oh yeah, yeah, they're just subtle. Look and look at the outline. The letters aren't outlined the way they are here. No, No, it represents the particular time and era in which I was rooting the hardest.
Speaker 3: So again, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: And the basis and premise of this conversation is, we are seeing a lot of dudes wearing jerseys of their respective team that they're here.
Speaker 3: To represent as so cool. You look around the crowd and.
Speaker 2: A team, but some of the players aren't necessarily All Stars. If they weren't All Star, what about it if they were All Star wants, maybe I don't think it matters. I think that's your team you root for and you're representing. This is the one time the All Star Game where you could wear any jersey you want, and I don't think it matters at all. I have I have one other rendo All Star question. Then we'll we'll take your feedback. We'll get to some other stuff, NFL news, more baseball. We are here in Atlanta for the All Star Game. And by the way, you mentioned the All Star jersey. Rich, Yeah, I would definitely get an All Star hat for sure. Let me see we all start patch. I'm sure they got your team with the patch. I would get that definitely.
Speaker 4: Oh, you could win a Bushwhacken water bottle in our three By the way, We're gonna play Next Hour CEN our All Star Game Trivia multiple Choice and you could win one of the final seeing our swiggy water bottles from our inventory.
Speaker 3: Parvict one one random question.
Speaker 2: Last night, we're at the derby and Geico is giving out these obnoxiously huge baseball gloves them and it was sort of funny, and you know what, I snagged on to bring home because I got little kids and they get a kick out of it. Cavino grab one for his nephew. They were just sitting there. No, I mean, after debating it, I might keep it for myself.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: They were like, hey, these are these anyones? And they're like, I'll take them. I was like, I'll take one. Cavino's now baiting, like how do I get this home? Because after we fill in for DP, we're actually off Thursday Friday.
Speaker 3: It's like two foot long. We're taking a long weekend.
Speaker 2: Right We've filled it for DP a lot at summer time, we're taking a long weekend. So Covino's not going back to LA He's going away with his girlfriend. I'm going to the East Coast to see my family, and Cavino's like, do I have to pack this Glove's like I'm going to Costa Rica.
Speaker 3: It's a circus club.
Speaker 4: So imagine putting that through the conveyor belt at security at the airport.
Speaker 2: It's pretty decent quality for a home run derby give it's pretty decent quality.
Speaker 3: It's just an oversized, gigantic glove.
Speaker 4: You still couldn't catch one of those homes and I still.
Speaker 2: Miss but I do wonder like like he goes, you know, Danny or Spot could when do you guys bring it back to l A That that's a big cast because.
Speaker 4: Cove told me to put it in my garment.
Speaker 2: Back Danny's going to exceed the weight limit because this is big glove, guys, it really is. So again your thoughts, and speaking of jerseys and the All Star Game, and by the way, I'm looking at my notes, I saw a lot of dan Ugla jerseys. That's what's fun about being in Atlanta. I see a lot of like old school ransom. So funny would say that because not only in front of us in our section, I saw at least three ugly and I go, you know, there must have been a moment in time for sure, like a fan favorite. Yeah, ugly was a big deal here, but it is funny.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 2: I saw at least three ugly jerseys in our section. Obviously cal Rowleigh jerseys everywhere. He's the big star, the big winner. I have a question for you Fox Sports Radio Nation based on that, and we're gonna talk about the All Star lineups later on and again more All Star trivia. He won, Remember he only got in by less than an inch, less than an inch cal Rawley gets in.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of bozos.
Speaker 2: That's what she's fixed by the way on that, like because they want it him to win, blah blah blah, Brent Ruger by less than an inch point nine to six inches to get in because they were tied at seven. Well, though, one can ever remit this stuff because wagering is on the line with draft kings and fan duel and betemgam. When things are wagered on like there, there could never be more than speculation, like, yeah, we gave it to him because people bet on how many over on their home runs Derby winner. But when they said he won by an inch, Ball was four hundred and seventy point six one feet, Rookers was four hundred and seventy point five three feet the difference of point zero eight feet or zero.
Speaker 3: Point nine six inches.
Speaker 2: That's how he advanced to the next round. All do the balls have a censor and him I'm guessing, dude. I mean, that's the stats we're going with, right. I can't give you the science behind it, but that's how it went down.
Speaker 3: He ends up winning. He beats Junior Camenaro.
Speaker 2: We saw that Camentaro hit fifteen in the finals and cal Rawley family affair.
Speaker 3: What a night wins the derby. No offense to Kevin Aro.
Speaker 2: I feel like last night he got sort of got his flowers.
Speaker 3: He didn't win, but now I think the world knows a little more about he's got pop.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what again, being there, I don't know how it came across on TV, but being there, O'Neal Cruz had the most pop.
Speaker 3: He really did. It was it was noticeable, noticeable.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily even the most pop, his swing exit velocity, the bombs he was hitting O'Neal Cruse again, you're right, I don't know if it came five hundred feet in person. It's just like like he was ripping the ball on a different level. Than even cal Raley, like real like O'Neal Cruz was hitting the ball with some authority that no one else was. But I do wonder as much as like I said, Cammonaro got his his flowers, the kids now maybe know him a little more. He's an al guy on a small market team. Do you think that it have been a buzzkill had he won? Because cal Raley winning sort of put a little bow on a great family story, the big dumper, young emerging star in baseball, the one guy magical season, like the one guy competing with Aaron Judge. If there's gonna be one guy that is even in the MVP conversation with Judge, it's cal Rawley. Like I almost feel I'm not saying no fix by any means, but I'm saying, would it have been a letdown had not to me? Because I'm an Aaron Judge fan and I got nothing against Cameron Aro.
Speaker 3: Cal Rawley's a great player.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's gonna take away, But my question is does it add cal rally wins? It adds to this magical season like Rich is alluding to, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But does it add to his MVP season?
Speaker 6: The lore?
Speaker 2: Does it add to his MVP credibility. You're saying, should an exhibition exhibition? Should an exhibition home run contest? Well, I'll tell you this, you know what, I'll give you an example. Denny kriikmember wrong. Uh Is it football or basketball? One of baby both where the postseason should never be accounted for in MVP voting. I think it's both right. Baseball, yeah, all them. But but and that's my point. If if to season doesn't count towards MVP and all these accolades, then why in the world would anyone be influencer?
Speaker 3: Should they be influenced by what they saw last night?
Speaker 2: But subconsciously, if a guy starts have a good playoff run and then people are voting for MVP, it might be like, well, it's sort of like, but it shouldn't. It's sort of in the back of your head. Play any factory it happens in m VP. Aaron Judge is still the MVP. I know, I know what he's doing is amazing, especially for a catcher, and he's the derby winner and all that, But I don't think that should play any factor as far as MVP is concerned.
Speaker 3: This is a separate contest. I want to know your guys thoughts.
Speaker 2: I'll give you my analogy, then we'll come back with your feedback to say, cal Rowley's home run display last night doesn't in the back of your head play into oh is he MVP?
Speaker 3: Did he gain on? Aaron Judge?
Speaker 2: Would be like in a courtroom, you know, when someone says some wild crap and then the judge and lawyers like, strike that from the record. You never heard that. You're like, but I heard it. You're like, I can't hear it. I mean I heard what the witness says. Strike that.
Speaker 3: We can't unsee the knowledge of him winning. Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 2: Unsee a big part of this magical cow Rowley season. So you could say it means nothing. It's just a contest. Mac McClung wins the Duncan.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say it also fades over a few weeks from now, because who was last year's home run derby winner?
Speaker 3: You know, I forgot it was ti Oscar until you told me like a week ago.
Speaker 4: So in Taoscar Hernandez of the Dodgers had a wonderful season last year, But did people put that into account for Oh, maybe he should be in the MVP running No.
Speaker 2: No, okay, you know what your thoughts at covinon rich In for the great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: He got more next right here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Hey is Cavino and rich Hope you're having a great day, great Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're getting tacos tonight or what I was gonna say. I feel like we have to uh.
Speaker 2: Southern tacos the one thing we have not done effectively enough while we're down here in Atlanta, Georgia for the All Star Game.
Speaker 3: I haven't had enough good Southern cooking. As I said, southern tacos, Danny G.
Speaker 2: Don't you feel like you were lacking one more good like southern meal while we're here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like, let's find this well. We had fried chicken once and during the towards the end of the derby last night, Covino said, man, I would love some waffles.
Speaker 2: I was so hung right now you ever had a chance to eat, but not the White House would have been perfect, I know, just explaining, just explaining, guys, live from the MLB All Star Village in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: It's the ultimate baseball hotspot.
Speaker 2: You can be part of the excitement here at Capitol one All Star Village through today head to the Cobb Galleria for baseball fun, live entertainment, and interactive games. Buy tickets at All Star Game dot com. And after the show, the DP podcast and our stream goes up. So if you miss any of today's show or yesterday show, we had a great show too, live from Atlanta, be sure to listen to the podcast search Covino and Rich, CoV I, n O, Covino and Rich. Wherever you get your podcasts, be sure to follow, rate and review, give us five stars because anything less is uncivilized and really, if you dig our show, we're on Monday through Friday two to four on the West, five to seven on the East. Again Coveno and Rich, you could watch us on Fox Sports Radios YouTube page. I gotta ask, what do you think that kid Sam Muster is thinking this morning?
Speaker 3: The kid that robbed the home run at the Derby to be? Is this real life?
Speaker 2: This is all his friends are hitting them up over Sports Center and everything else. It's gotta be a cool moment for him like we were saying, his dad is an official scorekeeper for the Brave, So is there any angle where his dad reprimanded him, like, you come on, you might give.
Speaker 3: Me in trouble. I worked for the Braves.
Speaker 2: I think it was a ESPN, Fox Sports, every network.
Speaker 3: It's a reaction moment. He's a kid. I think everybody understands not only a reaction moment.
Speaker 2: It made for a cool story, like you're gonna blame me, kid for adding a fun layer.
Speaker 3: To the moment for a small.
Speaker 2: Set for a minute, For like a long minute, we wondered what was gonna happen, but they judged a home run. He scored a home run immediately took the pressure off the kid, and then they asked cal Rowley about it. Later on he said, I paid him off. It was a fun moment.
Speaker 3: It was a highlight, had said to Cavino.
Speaker 2: And and I'm not saying this is a crazy thought, because we saw some of these young kids snagging some pretty sweet flyballs. I said, I believe me. I said, Cavino wouldn't be wild if one of these kids robbed a home run. And I actually had said that.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe it. I was like, oh my god, because defense was low enough. I was like, I was like, in left field, the kid could stag.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Here in Atlanta, they have a short wall there that porch, and so we thought if there was gonna be any sort of robbery going on with those little kids, it would be right there. But like I told you, the MLB executive said that they tell all these kids be very careful when you get to the warning track and stay off the wall. So he admitted he just like lost track of where he was on the field.
Speaker 2: And I believe that. And he's a kid, so you know, get off. And that was an awesome moment. As our boy Clinton Yates used to say, was that a grab, a stab, or a snag?
Speaker 3: I think it was a snagger. Room that.
Speaker 6: Even snapped his glove.
Speaker 3: It was very cool with his buddies. He's the coolest kid. And by the way, no one had more fun than him made me except us.
Speaker 2: And again you could you can see all our dumb videos and pictures of us Bushwhacken and left field last night at Covine on Rich. It's always a pleasure to filling for Dan Patrick.
Speaker 3: We have a lot coming up. We're gonna give away some prizes.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play some MLB All Star trivia, We'll talk a little NFL. We're less than two months away. Plus a new casino game that's got people talking.
Speaker 3: Oh what, Oh, we'll get to it next. Fox Sports Radio SNR.
Speaker 6: Let's go