Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this very special year end episode of dar Day's Guys Day production of iHeartRadio. This. This is a podcast where we take a deep avenue America share consciousness. And it is Thursday, December twenty eight, twenty twenty three. My name's Jack O'Brien and I'm thrilled to be joined by my very special co host super producer on a hosey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are ya, How the heck are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good. Great to see you again. You've been on the road on a journey. You've come back to our shores. We're thrilled to heavy back. Just talk to us for a very special movie episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, glad to be back. Interesting you said our shores as if we are sort of an independent country here, which we are now, So maybe knock that.
Speaker 1: Off, uh Anna. We today are talking. We're taking a look back at the year in movies. A weird year in movies because of the strike. I realized how much I'm reliant on like actor interviews to like find out that movies are coming out.
Speaker 3: Sure, so we're casting a.
Speaker 1: Wide net of people who have seen movies from our shores. Sorry, was that that was what you told me not to say from our independent land Republic of daily Is that better? Oh boy, oh dear. First of all, we're thrilled to be joined by the writer of our very show. Uh he does it all? Come to us from the Great North. It's mister j I mcnabe.
Speaker 4: Hello, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeahs of movies the mcnabba.
Speaker 3: What's happening?
Speaker 4: That's how it's pronounced.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you're going to give us a Canadian movie review because you so you watch Canadian movies.
Speaker 4: Have to assume, right, We get movies a little later.
Speaker 5: So my best of twenty twenty three list includes Beverly Hills cop.
Speaker 4: Let's see what else? Is the train coming into the station? We just got that.
Speaker 3: That was scary, blew me away.
Speaker 1: You hear about it and you're like, no spoilers, and then you watch it and it's like, you can't spoil that thing, man, it's just scary no matter what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everyone fled in terror.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're also thrilled to be joined. Welcome back to the show, super producer Beca Rubbo.
Speaker 6: Hello, Hello, I'm back yay.
Speaker 3: And I love movies. You love movies.
Speaker 1: You've seen so many movies I have.
Speaker 6: Seen a lot of movies this year, even though the strike was going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you.
Speaker 1: You are not as reliant on You don't just sit around watching cable TV waiting for Leonardo DiCaprio to be interviewed to tell you that a new Leo movies.
Speaker 6: Up being chronically online on TikTok. So I'm being served like every movie second an ad comes out, They're like, yeah, So I'm a TV and film critic and I've already reviewed this movie, so let's get into it, and I'm going to give you everything about it in thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: And I'm like check, yeah.
Speaker 6: Gonna go.
Speaker 1: Oh. So that's what you're counting is having seen a movie, having seen a TikTok of.
Speaker 6: Course by recap of the movie, So I've seen everything.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: We're also thrilled to be joined by super producer Brian Jeffries.
Speaker 7: It's me, I am here.
Speaker 3: He has seen fourteen movies this.
Speaker 7: Year, only fourteen movies ever, so yeah, which is the MAXI my first year movie.
Speaker 1: We were trying, we were all trying to figure out how many movies we've seen. I think we came out fourteen as the maximum that a human being can see. Yes, We're also thrilled to be joined by super producer Victor Right.
Speaker 8: Hello, I love movies. I love consuming Wow ouid content?
Speaker 2: Are you lying?
Speaker 1: He's never seen a movie before? We have so just you know, there are other podcasts that have, like you know, film critics who hosts, and you know that's their claim to authority, is that, oh you know, I.
Speaker 3: Watch movies for a living.
Speaker 1: We have on this podcast three different people who saw The Pope's Exorcis this year, which seems impossible to me, and yet here we are.
Speaker 7: Oh wait, I just remembered another movie I saw and immediately forgot and it continued.
Speaker 1: Just write it down, bright, don't forget. I did see the trailer where Russell Crow says talked to my boss the Hope, and that's I felt like that was all I needed to see. He does say that in the movie. That's the only review I need for that movie.
Speaker 6: He does say it in the movie, And I thought it was gonna be way scarier than it was. It was super campy.
Speaker 3: In The Pope's Exorcist. But that's why it's so good, because it's a.
Speaker 6: Perfect airplane movie. You know, you're gonna laugh a little about how bad the actors are. You're like Russell Crowe, a like award winning actor in this movie with the worst actress of all time. Like the mother in the movie is horrible. It's like she's never been in a movie before, and she's like, my kids, my husband died and I was gifted this house in Italy.
Speaker 2: What do I do?
Speaker 6: It's haunted? And yeah, and then some like Latino Pope also comes in and or not Pope, uh priest, and I should know who wants to follow in the footstets of versus Crow the Pope's Exorcist. He wants to be the next popes Exorcist. But he's a bad person because he he had sex and pre star an't supposed to have sex.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you know, not on my watch, not my Pope's Exorcist.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: That that was not the most successful movie that came out this year.
Speaker 5: It wasn't even the most successful exorcism movie that came out of the snow.
Speaker 1: That's true, although the other one didn't do that well did it?
Speaker 8: The also Yeah, and it was bad. It was so because the reason I like The Pope's Exorcist is because it is camp the exorcist believer is just boring schlog, you know, just nothing. So when Russell Crowe comes out and he's like John McClain just being kind of an exorcist, you know, yeah, then oh okay, I could buy that. But believers so boring.
Speaker 5: You know, they should have had the end of Exorcist believer of Russell Crowe show up like Nick Fury.
Speaker 4: Like we're putting together, put together.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so yeah, like do Fast and Furious eyes the Exorcist universe?
Speaker 6: Not enough, not enough on enough, Wow, I can't speak. Not on enough list from the Google doc I didn't see enough Fast and Furious on the list.
Speaker 1: Well came out this.
Speaker 6: Year and it was really good.
Speaker 3: I was shocked to remember that it came out this year.
Speaker 1: It was the number five movie at the global box office, pulling in seven hundred and four million dollars, but it didn't even like crack the top fifteen in the United States. So this was the year that like the Fast franchise officially ran out of gas. That's right, it's a car playoffoard at the US box office. Nobody, Nobody care Well were.
Speaker 7: One of the first movies to like really first big movies to come back after the pandemic like that people were actually actually wanted to see that was.
Speaker 3: Past nine nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was nine baby. Yeah, that was like the.
Speaker 6: First in like may I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah, I'm missing some time they're cranking these babies out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and maybe because Fast nine was.
Speaker 7: That Fast night when they went to space, right, that was.
Speaker 6: It was like they went too far. They were like, how how did we go so far? We strayed so far from the plot, but they brought it back in Fast ten. I don't think people gave Fast enough faith, Like they didn't trust in the process that Fast ten would be better than Fast nine.
Speaker 2: So well, Last ten is a two parter, right, Yeah, there's another part coming out, so I will I will reserve judgment.
Speaker 1: Spider Man Across the Universe or Across the Spider Verse also a two parter, like first part of a two parter, which I possible, yeah yeah, and Mession impossible.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Across the Spider Verse is like very much like it just ends in the middle of a movie plot. It's just like, oh, well, I guess we're out of time here.
Speaker 3: Well we'll do another one. And it's very like the fact that it.
Speaker 1: Was as successful as it was, like both successful box office wise, but also just I think it was widely agreed on as like a very successful film is pretty wild. I think we're more on board with that because of streaming maybe.
Speaker 5: But so that that sequel won't be out for a while, I don't think, because they were saying it was going to come out next March, and then I think Hailey Steinfelder someone said she hadn't even recorded her lines for it yet, which would come before the animation obviously. So yeah, we're probably not going to see that in our lifetime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just generally, did you guys feel like there were any movies that I mean, I guess we're already discovering that, but movies that like kind of snuck up and you or like came out and you didn't even notice they came out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I got I got one for sure.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 7: So it's a movie called Cobweb. It's a very small horror movie that came out the day that Oppenheimer and Barbie came out, and just.
Speaker 1: No one knows.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I think it got a theatrical release, but yeah, like who would know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you think those producers were trying to like make Barbenheimer Web happen.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 7: I guess they couldn't. It's not up to them when it comes out or whatever. But I would have I would have moved.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, maybe they were like because the strike was like impending, they were like, well, this is a shot yeah before.
Speaker 1: A strike while the iron Yeah, July was a wild time. That was also when my favorite film of the year. I guess we can talk about our top ten. The Sound of Freedom came out.
Speaker 7: Jack.
Speaker 1: That was not on Mike Jack, right right, I talk to you guys about Jack. If I talk to you guys that how good that one is off Mike. That is one that came out though, and it is in the top ten I think top twelve US box office.
Speaker 6: It feels like it came out forever ago. Every time I hear it, I'm like, didn't that come out in like twenty twenty?
Speaker 3: People?
Speaker 1: It's a classic. It feels like it's always been there, like the Bible.
Speaker 3: Becca.
Speaker 7: I feel like people talked about it for like four months and it was only in the theater for like six weeks.
Speaker 3: Maybe Yeah, well, all right.
Speaker 8: I was just gonna say when they were talking about it, they were talking about like theaters in quotation marks like sabotaging the film or something. Right, it was never about the movie. It was about like some conspiracy around.
Speaker 6: The movie, the movie being sabotage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, the people who and the pandemic needed something else to plan, and so they planned, you know, stop stopping that movie from being as successful as it should have been.
Speaker 3: It should have dusted.
Speaker 1: Oppenheimer and Barbie in my opinion, all right, do we want to should we go through the like critical top ten, should we go through the box office top ten? Stop where we have? Or how about does everybody want to just go around and like give a stray observation about a movie they saw this year? Sure, astray? Did you see any stray movies?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I would say every movie I watched was a stray. I mean, actually, there's two movies I saw that I would say, really, and this just might be from my perspective, sort of controlled the universal zeitgeist. And obviously that was Barbie and Oppenheimer what And I do think now this also might be sort of my own perspective on things that it was very hard I think this year to compete with those two films. Yeah, and now was that sort of a crazy opinion.
Speaker 1: Now so successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like the rest of the year, like a lot of films fell under the shadow of those two giants, if you will. The Barbenheimer epidemic is sort of what we experienced, and thus you did not really get to enjoy other films. And and then and then on top of all that, a film a TV writers and actors strike happened, which then really really sort of snubbed out a lot of stuff because no one could promote it. You couldn't really talk about it to be in solidarity with the strikes. So we in a very interesting year.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It came in so hot with Barbie and Oppenheimer, and then it was just like, oh, radio silence, you can't talk about anything else. So I really no one had a chance outside of Barbenheimer.
Speaker 1: And I was in such solidarity with the writers that I wouldn't even talk about movies in my personal life.
Speaker 3: I was just doing I mean.
Speaker 2: That's what Jack. Yeah, you're being sarcastic, but I actually do hope you were in solidarity.
Speaker 1: Yo. I went and saw, you know, movies and then just came out and guilted anybody who was like talking about them.
Speaker 2: To you know, you weren't supposed to go see movies. I think that's like the whole point strike.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Interesting? Yeah, you weren't supposed to do anything. You were't supposed to exist. Wow, you're a bad person.
Speaker 6: You were supposed to actually just figure out how to disappear.
Speaker 1: Just h I think I mentioned at one point like I didn't realize Killers of the Flower Moon was out and like until after it was out, And that's the sort of thing like I would normally get up for, but I really it was really embarrassing how much I'm reliant on media like PR teams, because I almost completely missed that.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's understandable because it's an Apple production and nobody Apparently there's lots of good shows on Apple that no one knows about because they.
Speaker 6: No one wants to pay for it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: It's very weird because Apple is known for their marketing prowess, but not with not with their TV wing.
Speaker 3: I guess they want to keep it a secret.
Speaker 1: That's how you make something that's really cool.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'll shout out some Apple TV television I really enjoyed on.
Speaker 3: The streaming episode.
Speaker 2: Yes, save its streaming episode. What are we talking about here. Damn it. I know who I am, what I am. Okay, Fine, I won't acknowledge TV at all.
Speaker 6: Okay, I will say the barbin t stuff though, I feel like even made me forget about what movies had come out pre Barbenheimer. Yeah, like I really had a dig on a list and be like, okay, what was I marketed? What did I actually watch? And like go into theaters, Like I forgot Fast Sex was this year and I like made a big deal. I took like ten people in the movies. We we did a whole thing.
Speaker 7: It took me like six months to get around to watching Fast Dicks, and I was excited to watch Fast Yes, Like it just took me that long.
Speaker 6: Like Magic Mike Slaust Dance, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this year so fun.
Speaker 6: That was a great and like fun.
Speaker 2: But we got to see Channing Tatum really really sort of dance up on Salma Hayk, which in my opinion was like worth the weird plot.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely, it was one hundred that like ten minute dancing and it was beautifully ten minutes like they needed it to be. It was not. It was savoring. You could just and they give it to you right at the beginning too. They were like, we're in this.
Speaker 1: You don't have to wait, all right, should we take a let's take a quick break, we'll come back. We'll talk about some themes we saw across the top movies of the year.
Speaker 3: We'll be.
Speaker 1: And we're back. And so I was just looking. I was looking through the critics Top ten list, like a compendium of the critic top ten list. Metacritic used to do this. Then they redesigned Metacritic along with the overarching idea to make it a worse website, I think, and it's just like not, they don't do that anymore. And I'd seen, I think the top five. I think i'd seen all the movies in the top five, and then you know, a smattering across you got Chick Killers of the Flower Moon at number one, you got Shere Oppenheimer at number two, got Made December Past Lives, the Korean film, and then Barbie coming in hot number five, and then you know, across the Spider Verses in there at number twelve. So I feel like, I mean, the one most notable thing is that, like there's a lot of highly successful movies in the top ten and that doesn't usually happen, doesn't always doesn't usually happen. Also the Asteroid City, the latest Wes Anderson movies, like at number eight. I did not like that movie, but people apparently.
Speaker 6: It was bad.
Speaker 1: I fucking hated it.
Speaker 3: What I don't You got to.
Speaker 7: Put something on the list. You gotta put something on the.
Speaker 1: List of like we got this number eight spot, we don't know what to do with it.
Speaker 6: I made a category that was movies that felt so pushed that made me made it impossible to watch, which as Asteroid City, even though I did watch it. I put no hard feelings on that list. Anyone but you, The newest rom com with What's Her Face? Sidney Sweeney, Ferrari, Flaming Hot White Men, Can't Jump in eighty for Brady. To me, those were supposed to be blockbusters and I hate it. They looked so bad. I hated all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you they You felt like they were pushed too hard. They were just like they were like.
Speaker 6: These are gonna be so fun funny, or like some of them were Oscar baity, Like I feel like Ferrari's really big Oscar bait and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like the theme if I had to summarize thematically, like some common threads. I'd say, one is, are we the bad guys? Like I know I could like that. I keep bringing up that Mitchell and Web sketch where they're Nazis and they're like, wait, are we?
Speaker 3: Are we the bad guys?
Speaker 1: Because they have like skulls on all their uh Nazi uniforms.
Speaker 7: Footnotes of it every show.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can, because it's gonna keep coming up. But like I don't know, uh kills the flower Moon making ugly bed teeth. Leonardo DiCaprio, the protagonist of that movie is wild. I don't think there's ever been a more like unlikable protagonist since maybe Dan Santa for Santa University fans like claims he can read and does look like shit, but the parts where he claims he can read aren't convincing. Oppenheimer Obviously, the whole point is Oppenheimer being like, maybe that was a bad idea, and then like America as one, just like raking him over the cols. You know, May December obviously not a super charming or super like easy to like protagonists.
Speaker 3: There's Child Predator.
Speaker 1: And then you know, a not very likable movie. Star, and then there's there's another one's zone of interest, uh that I feel like is a similar plot to Barbie and I haven't I Haven't seen Zone. The subject is a Nazi officer who's trying to create a little like zone of peace and normalcy right next to Auschwitz, like where his family lives, which feels like an appropriate metaphor for I think. I think it's trying to be a metaphor for like the modern condition of I'm an American this one I'm yeah. And that Barbie is similarly like lives in her own dream world that is, you know, mainly used to feel consumption. It's obviously not as bleak as Auschwitz, but I feel like, I don't know, there's You guys were talking about the movie Cobweb before we start recording, and you say gaslighting, And I feel like gaslighting is a like both coming coming to terms with being the bad guy of history and also like gaslighting and being gas lilt like it seems to be seems to be a central thing that people are kind of coming around.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: That's so that's my theme of movies in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 8: I have one for horror. I don't know if it ever went away. But I feel like exorcism movies, or at least like religion and horror was kind of a big deal in twenty twenty three. I'm looking at the list here and it's like the none to Pope's Exorcists that we just talked about, the sequel to the original Exorcist, and then even like we started the year off with Knock at the Cabin. Do you remember that movie? Yeah one, Yeah, yeah, where it was a group of essentially religious fundamentalists torturing a like gay family and they were proven right and they're right, yeah, exactly, and it's like, I don't know, it just feels like Evil Dead Rise also different version, but it's like kind of possession and exorcism and religion coming into horror. It feels like previous years it would be more focused on like slashers or existential horror, but this year religion felt very, very big this year. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Why, Probably because of like satanic panic coming back a little bit, or you know, given the political climate people reacting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm a trad trad wife, so yeah, talks.
Speaker 7: It's something that will always be like when you when you sort of indoctrinate, speaking of gas lighting document children into religions with a lot of spooky imagery that's baked in. That's I feel like that's just gonna effective throughout life, just pulling from that and throwing that in a film and like, yeah, that's gonna hit something, you know, deep into subconscious probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, spooky.
Speaker 5: And did you guys see skin a rink?
Speaker 2: I don't even know what you just said.
Speaker 5: I would hear about it though, it was like, yeah, it became a big thing on TikTok. It was like a Canadian guy made it and it's a it's a horror movie about essentially the plot, if you can call it that, it's just like a kid, like a four year old kid and his sister's parents just disappear from their house and it's all. It's basically like an art house movie, Like you don't even see any human faces really, but it's very much like like what you're saying about, like the things that scary you as a kid, being religion coming back like this feels like a movie someone made because of they were able to kind of act the things that scared them as a kid. Like it feels like you're in a nightmare you had and like, you know, when you were six years old or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was so I'd read a lot about it, but it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It was better than I thought it would be.
Speaker 5: It was actually like I thought it'd be a bit more like an intellectual exercise, but it was.
Speaker 4: It was really evocative. I thought it was good and uh and worth checking out.
Speaker 8: I heard completely mixed reviews on that one, where they described it exactly how you did of Oh, there's not really a plaud It's about like recreating a nightmare from childhood. And half of the people I talked to absolutely loved it, and then the other half just despised that movie.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I love divisive movie. If your movie has a sixty percent on Rotten Tomatoes, it's probably my favorite movie, something about sixty percent.
Speaker 1: Five Nights of Freddy's was the big like horror movie.
Speaker 6: Okay, I don't know how I felt about it. It was very it was like a fun ride, but I hated the ending. I was like, really, this is how we chose.
Speaker 1: To end the movie.
Speaker 3: And I didn't see it, but.
Speaker 6: Apparently it's like very culty like there's like a whole like underground community of people who are fans of this. Yeah, and that's why I watched it because I kept hearing about this, like people who were like making fan fiction and like all this stuff. I was like, what are they talking about? So I watched the movie and I was like, I still don't get it, and I was like deep on Reddit trying to figure out what the fuck is this about. Yeah, I still don't get it. I guess it's based off a video game.
Speaker 7: And that's why the video game Lowreer goes so deep for so many years now that like you're just here in the dust, here in the dust.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I was like, there's nothing I can do. I've just been sucked in and I give up.
Speaker 1: It's but I do think it like ties back to what you're you guys were talking about, because that's a like Chuck E. Cheese style environment and Chuck E Cheese style animatronics like come to life and kill right, which I feel like it is probably something that occurred to a child who spent time around Chuck E.
Speaker 3: Cheese.
Speaker 1: Well that's why they.
Speaker 6: Kill, Oh you mean like in real life? Yeah, yeah, like their child and that's why they killed because they want Indoctor another child.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, and but like a lot of the you know, not just in horror, but you know, Barbie obviously a childhood toy, Super Mario Brothers, childhood toy. Like this is the top movies that the worldwide box office Barbie, Super Mario Brothers movie, Oppenheimer. We all played with our Oppenheimer action figures growing up.
Speaker 6: Absolutely scientists, Truman.
Speaker 7: With laser sounds.
Speaker 6: Wait, speaking of games, I saw that you had Jack on the dock. One of the themes of being like brand movies. Did anyone watch the Tetris movie?
Speaker 2: There was a Tetris movie, Yeah, with what's his name?
Speaker 4: The guy who played Triston?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what you said, what's the same the guy played Elton John right, Elton?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know what I just I just realized what my my theme for this year was is brand movies. How many brand movies were this year?
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 1: There was.
Speaker 7: There was Cheetos, there was Tetris.
Speaker 6: Now I forgot about the Nike movie.
Speaker 3: Barbie. It was like kind of.
Speaker 7: Movie.
Speaker 1: It was very like Mario is like, you know, a brand movie in the sense that it's like taking place in the world of the brand. But like Barbie is like a self aware, like meta commentary where in which the brand exists and people like, granted, nobody's like making a claim that this is actually how Barbie's like came to be or anything like that. Well I guess they did, right, Like they have a character who is the veteran Barbie. So yeah, yeah, it was kind of the ultimate brand movie and also the ultimate movie, and then it was the most.
Speaker 7: Of twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is branding.
Speaker 5: I mean basically Matt Damon plays the same character in Air and Oppenheimer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the rude to all Evil is actually marketing.
Speaker 1: We're learned Oppenheimer's about the creation of the American brand.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't know, but I.
Speaker 6: Brought up Tetris to say that it was awful.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 6: It was some of the worst acting I have seen in a long time. I was shook at how.
Speaker 1: Bad it was.
Speaker 6: I really love hated the plot hole of like Taron Egerton's character marrying this Japanese woman and like living in Japan and basically working for his own Japanese gaming company with his wife, and that's kind of I mean, obviously it's based on a real story, but point being, he is married to this Japanese woman, they have children. He speaks no Japanese. They live in Japan. He speaks no Japanese. He speaks only English to his children. His children only speak Japanese to him. So it's clear he supposedly in this universe understands Japanese, but he they obviously the actor did not want to like learn how to speak like any lines in Japanese, or like didn't have the capacity. I don't know, but I thought it was the biggest plot hole that he had this Japanese wife that only spoke in Japanese and his children only spooking Japanese, and they lived in Japan, and he couldn't speak any Japanese. He like talked to Japanese. I mean the people of Nintendo. He like went and talked to them, and he came in there.
Speaker 1: With the American energy. It's English, yeah, and they all.
Speaker 6: Spoke to him in Japanese. I was like, what is.
Speaker 1: Oh, sure that's not historically because like I know people who like only speak to their parents in English, but then their parents speak back to them in their native language.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I don't know if it was historically accurate, but I thought it was very funny and very off putting that he just kept being so American, storming into the rooms being like I need to get shit done and I will, you know, solve these problems and like be the best business person ever and like Russia and Tokyo and was just like in his American way and like refuse to like learn any of the cultural touch points or languages of any of the things that he did. So, but let me know, guys, if that was historically accurate.
Speaker 3: He played the tall, skinny Tetris block right.
Speaker 5: Like this, Yeah, the l maybe that actor was just like, you know, not going to learn a second language.
Speaker 6: For how I felt about it, Like it's not like a.
Speaker 4: Rock amand too on the back burner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like it felt like more that he did not want to and or was not capable of maybe jizzing up a little you know, Japanese versus it being historically accurate, and just it felt like when you walk it, that's how it felt, and it fell off putting.
Speaker 7: I love the level of historical accuracy that you were checking for in.
Speaker 6: It felt so off putting, Like the way the kids spoke to him, the way he spoke to his wife. I was like, how are you moving around to Japan just being This.
Speaker 7: Is not how I remember the story of Tetris.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and look at some more trends and final thoughts. We'll be right back, and we're back, and Jim, you had another good trend that I noticed. I guess I didn't notice that I was confused by in a recent when I saw the trailer for The Mean Girl's Musical, which completely hides the fact that it's a musical, and so it just seems like a remake of Mean Girls, but like without an original take on Mean Girls in any way, it's just like and the trailers like from the mind of Tina Fey. I was like, yeah, no, that was the whole point of the first Mean Girl. What the fuck are you guys doing here?
Speaker 2: It's a musical now and it's also a hit on Broadway, so what do you Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm complaining that they're hiding the fact that it's.
Speaker 2: No it literally says mean Girls and musical on all the posters and if you're checked in and doesn't happen.
Speaker 5: But the trailer, yeah, there's no songs in the trailer and like they did the same thing with Wonka.
Speaker 6: Apparently this has been a cultural commentary on TikTok. They talked about it with the color purple too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't show musical parts usually in trailers. It's just sort of a given it's a musical.
Speaker 6: I do think it's because musicals have not been doing very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, West Side Story in the Heights. In the Heights both did battye horrible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were big ones, like the Hugh Jackman Hugh Jackman plays a circus guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a big hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was fun.
Speaker 6: That was a good one.
Speaker 1: I had no idea that Pope's Exorcist was a musical for you guys.
Speaker 6: I mean Russell Crowe. We remember Jean Valjean.
Speaker 1: One of our great musical performances, just just because it's like he brings the energy of like if you asked me to just sing, like that's kind of like singing. Yeah. Nah, Well the guy historically wouldn't have taken voice lessons, So why should I be able to sing?
Speaker 2: So why should he hear?
Speaker 4: Well, he has a band, he's a singer in a band. He's one of our great musicians.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, one of our great singers, of our great Broadway stars. But yeah, so I don't know any other trends, any any other movie observations.
Speaker 2: That people can. I name some movies I liked. Yeah, May December. I didn't understand anything that was going on. Great film, actually really Yeah, it's it's a really.
Speaker 1: Piano music fucking freaked me out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know why Todd Haynes decided that was the choice, but I think he was just trying to go like full camp. I don't know what was happening, because I was like, what's what do we No one's well here? Yeah, And I think it worked because the music made me feel unwell, and I think that was the whole point.
Speaker 8: Is it a comedy?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm just it's not a comedy.
Speaker 6: No, it's a drama. It is very drama.
Speaker 3: Okay, just describe it as a dark comedy.
Speaker 2: There's nothing funny happening at all.
Speaker 6: It's based on that lady who went to jail for having sex with her students, the marrying.
Speaker 1: Her, which admittedly was hilarious.
Speaker 2: But no, I will say Charlie, Charlie. Yeah, her name is like Trum Maryland, Timbo or something like that. But I will say Charlie Melton incredible performance. Have never ever thought about him ever in my life, And I was like, he is doing.
Speaker 6: A lot, I thought, and that's it Dale?
Speaker 1: Is that it? Though?
Speaker 3: Because I felt like I didn't watch one Verdale.
Speaker 6: He was in one drama with like Yrsi.
Speaker 1: Was like, I didn't watch a ton, like a metric ton of Riverdale. I watched a lot of Riverdale, love each episode like three to four times.
Speaker 6: And I think he was also in what's it called the Sabrina Show, Sabrina the New Sabrina, the Teenage Witch on Netflix. They had like a crossover like Riverdale and Sabrina.
Speaker 5: Don't pretend that you didn't watch far enough to see jug Head doing an alien autopsy.
Speaker 6: It went so crazy.
Speaker 1: It was wait that like off the rail, Yes, this.
Speaker 6: Is also star That's what I saw him in.
Speaker 1: Is he him? No?
Speaker 6: Okay, one of the jocks, Like he's like a jock. Yeah, and then he's like a warlock in in Sabrena.
Speaker 1: Okay, hell yeah that's a good film.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I actually, you know what this movie it. I was surprised how much I ended up liking. But no hard feelings. It's hilarious with Jennifer Lawrence. It's really really not I know, well, unfortunately it's hilarious. Fortunately watch it with hilarious eyes.
Speaker 6: I seen it.
Speaker 2: I just was saying seeing me, I was like, if you haven't seen it.
Speaker 6: I will go watch it for you.
Speaker 2: It's really funny. I was surprised at how funny I ended up like I I didn't. I put it on, being like, oh, put this on the background, and then I it's just like, oh my god, I'm actually cracking up.
Speaker 6: Little tea.
Speaker 2: They did a good job. And then you know Dix the musical hilarious. If you had a chance to see that.
Speaker 6: With Josh Sharp and Aaron Jackson.
Speaker 2: Aaron Jackson, Yeah, very funny. Bowen Yang's in it, Quiz Lady with Aquafina and Sandra Damn.
Speaker 1: These are the really that one I have not This is the first time I've heard of that.
Speaker 6: It looks good. I just missed it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty funny. Joy Ride. I also really enjoyed joy Ride, uh, which a lot of people like shit on, but I thought it was like a really funny movie.
Speaker 1: I thought it was fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a great plane plane watch I watched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched it on a plane.
Speaker 1: I watched are you there, God, It's me Margaret on a plane and that was fine. Just going back to the theory of religion, I realized The nun Too was like a massive hit. It was made two hundred and sixty eight million dollars.
Speaker 8: All of those always get like just so much, but not the Pup's exorst do we think, why do we think what happened for people?
Speaker 3: Just not?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: People really love the nun To one. So I think, you.
Speaker 8: Know, when's the Conjuring Universe too?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It is the.
Speaker 6: Because there was not to spoil Conjuring Cinematic Universe, but there was like.
Speaker 8: A post credits scene where the main character from the Conjuring like answers the phone, is like, oh, I'll be right there or something. It's like, oh shit, they're really bringing everyone together.
Speaker 6: It is the Conjuring Cinematic Universe. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: Well, in that regard, I would recommend The Blackening. Very funny movie. It's a horror kind of.
Speaker 5: Way better, way better than the screen movie that came out this year too, The Blackening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah yeah. And then also they cloned Tyrone. I feel like people slept On and they cloned Tyrone. That was an incredible good They cloned Tyrone was great.
Speaker 3: It's just like came raight to Netflix, right.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, yeah, that's a tough way to release a film.
Speaker 2: And then I would also, yeah, Past Lives incredible.
Speaker 3: Past Lives is so good.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna have a controversial opinion. I did not like it. I didn't like it, and I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like it. I really wanted to. I love A twenty four. It felt like it was like a film Buffs kind of movie. But I went in and I was kind of like, I don't know, it left me something to be desired. Maybe I need to give it another watch.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's a little like slow. Maybe I can talk about watches with another person who I was recommending it to, and that's like the worst way to watch a movie because they're like, oh, God, speed it up, something better happened here fast. I think they ended up liking it, but not as much as me. But I will say that one also top five in critics picks. And it also I feel like ties into the thing about like, I don't know, America not being a good place. Like our protagonist moves to America to be a Pulitzer Prize winner and is like, I don't know, falls back and forth for her childhood sweetheart. But it's also like just his like very traditional Korean energy, as she puts it, just so Korean.
Speaker 3: But I, yeah, I think it all.
Speaker 1: It all fits together of people just being like America fucking sucks.
Speaker 6: It's a very real story and I appreciated that about it, But it was I think maybe a little too slow for me, and I wanted to love it more than I did when I watched it the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I liked that.
Speaker 1: I thought they would say a good job.
Speaker 5: The optimal note way to watch that movie is if you're full of crippling regrets, you.
Speaker 6: Feel for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some other some other shout outs. These are just films I enjoyed watching. Don't think too hard on It now because I know this whole goddamn podcast loves to think way too hard.
Speaker 3: On Don't think twice. Don't think too hard on it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think too hard on it now. I'll just do a quick round Theater Camp, Bottom Outlaws, Mission Impossible, Asteroid City, Magic, Mike three those were mind just yeah, you know what, whatever, it's enjoyable, enjoy something for once in your life.
Speaker 1: I just feel like Asteroids City. I think I just want less of the framing ship where it's like and then this was actually a play that he was putting like, it's just.
Speaker 2: Here's Wes Anderson movies. Well, because he never changes it up. It's always the same. It's like people like, why is this movie exactly like all his other movies, and it's like he's nice.
Speaker 7: Is if maybe just one time he did he he was directing somebody else's material.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's not gonna happen, you guys, you have to let go of these sort of notions.
Speaker 3: It's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Go watch Scorcas, like get out of here, or maybe you go to you don't go to Wes Anderson and be like, let's see how let's see how he brought something original.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think part of the promise he's he's too nice. He like every time he works with an actor, they get along. So now he has casts like thirty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. I don't know, And what do you think you should do in this part?
Speaker 4: A third narrator.
Speaker 2: I like that comforting aspect of you know what you're gonna get with a Wes Anderson.
Speaker 7: Maybe there's a certain comfort.
Speaker 3: I found it very comforting.
Speaker 1: I just yeah, I was frustrated with like one aspect of it, and I'm making that be like and that's why it sucked, which is definitely not true.
Speaker 2: It's fun, a pendifically pleasant film, and it's all it is.
Speaker 1: The thing I go to Wes Anderson movies for is like a esthetic, Like he creates a very good, like specific aesthetic, and this one he does an amazing job of creating like a very specific, like we've never seen desert storybook weird Wes Anderson, and like this is a fun execution of that for sure.
Speaker 6: This one felt the most like Texas to his roots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in my opinion, the part where Juughhead has to cut that alien oft is the alien and it was so weird.
Speaker 5: Oh man, Betty's mom gets into a cult and the cult leader escapes in a rocket ship.
Speaker 8: It's crazy, nothing like it, that's what that happens.
Speaker 6: And the leader is Chad Michael Murray.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, guys got the perfect transition into our streaming review, which is coming next next week. But for us, we're going to stop this recording and move right over to there. So that's going to do it. Thank you guys so much for joining Victor.
Speaker 3: JM.
Speaker 1: Bryan Becta, Anna, what a lineup? Anything anything we missed? Oh yeah, JM. You were you wanted to call out all the period sects that was happening, like you just you said, if there's one thing, I have to call this out. So you said you had like a tight twenty minutes on period sect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everybody buckle up, okay, forget Barbenheimer. Yeah, no, it just happened in two movies, and yeah.
Speaker 1: It did feel like it's time had come when I saw it in fair Play, which was a movie that I wasn't crazy about, but it we covered on the show because it was like written by somebody who was like a writing in the tradition of fatal attraction and stuff like that. But when it happened to that, I was like, Oh, yeah, why hasn't.
Speaker 3: That happened in more movies? That was that was fun. It's a good job, good job by them.
Speaker 5: It may happen in more movies too. I haven't seen Wonky yet.
Speaker 6: We just don't know.
Speaker 1: We don't know and there's no way to know. Yeah, all right, that's gonna do it. Or the Year in movies. We are back with more year end episodes and we will see you guys then bye bye,