Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Well Cowboys, this is Talking Cowboys, springing live from the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters.
Speaker 2: At the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 1: Puts take Burgers here plus dot Tis twenty touchdown and now.
Speaker 3: Your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 1: It is the Monday after a twenty seven point outing from your offense, but a thirty point outing from your defense. The Dallas Cowboys fall to the Carolina Panthers thirty to twenty seven in Week six of the NFL season. Welcome into Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboy. We're gonna talk about it. What happened on the East Coast. Both of these guys were there, Patrick no Cy Walker, Tommy Yarsh, We've got Chris beat in the back.
Speaker 2: He was there as well. I'm Kyle Yeoman.
Speaker 1: So glad you're with us, and thank you for tuning in the Monday after because I know it's always frustrating following the Cowboys loss to listen to Cowboys content. I understand I'm a born and raised Cowboys fan. I grew up cheering for this team, and when they lose, I am in a worse mood.
Speaker 4: That's just plain and simple things.
Speaker 1: You can ask my family. You can ask my parents, my wife. You can't ask my kids yet because they can't tell you, but at some point they will. They're aware, they are aware, and this was just another of two straight losses. Let's just say that the last two losses have been in the embarrassing category, and this is a second one. In that case, nothing against the Carolina Panthers. Their game plan was there, their execution was there. All the flowers in the world. Rico Dwell he stood on business, and I commend him for doing that. A team that did not stand on business is currently here.
Speaker 2: In Dallas and their nickname is the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: So with all that being said, Patrick, I'll open the floor to you, Cowboys fall thirty to twenty seven, your thoughts from being there on site at Bank of America Stadium.
Speaker 4: You know, Beemer.
Speaker 3: We might as well just title this this episode wasted. Wasted. You had a career record center GTA, Yeah, yeah, exactly, So when you play GTA. For those that don't know grand theft auto. When you meet your demise, what pops up on the screen is wasted. Appreciate That's exactly the vibes right now, exactly the vibes. You wasted a career record setting performance from George Pickens. He now has six touchdowns through the first six games, first NFL player in a Cowboys uniform to do that since the merger who was not named Daz Briant. You wasted Hunter Lipke's first career touchdown. You wasted contributions from Jake Ferguson and Ryan Flanoy. You wasted a three touchdown zero interception effort from Dak Prescott. You wasted an opportunity to go for go ahead touchdown with two passes behind the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 4: We will get to that later. You wasted an opportunity on fourth.
Speaker 3: And four to get the ball back for a mulligain on your offensive side and a possible game winning drive. You wasted a chance to gain ground on the Eagles in the division after they lost to the New York Giants. You made everyone want to go home and pull a full Gucci man and get wasted.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 3: So, however you slice it, that is the vibes today. Yesterday's game was one the Cowboys should have won, and should have won handily, but they constantly allowed the Panthers to hang around, and in doing so, they ended up with the l defense outside of the Donovan Wilson interception and the twenty one yard return.
Speaker 4: That was the highlight of the day for the defense. You need it more.
Speaker 3: They couldn't stop the run. You said, Rico, he stood on business. Cowboys were unbuckled. Hmmm, completely. They did not buckle up.
Speaker 4: They did not buckle up. Rico had a day.
Speaker 3: Now he is now the first NFL player that has gone that went undrafted in the history of the league to have back to back two hundred plus scrimmage yards games. So the Cowboys will forever be tied to Rico Dawdle in the history books.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, wasted, just like GTA five and just like when GTA six drops wasted.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, you guys mentioned that you're both Cowboys fans. I'm the only one at this table that's not a Cowboys fan.
Speaker 8: I don't really root for anybody. I just cover the sports. Yeah, it's for me to be impartial.
Speaker 2: That was bad.
Speaker 8: That was very bad. I mean, I think Patrick hit the nail on the head for most of it. You know, you.
Speaker 7: Essentially, what we figured out about this team six games into the season is if their offense does not play perfect football and score on just about every possession, they're going to lose. And that is wildly unfair to Dak Prescott and Brian Schottenheimer and everybody who was trying to move the ball downfield offensively. Now, I'll say this to the offense did not help themselves by not establishing the run game. They were very poor in that, and I think it started up front. I think Javonte Williams had a couple of plays that he didn't exactly read very well and shot the wrong gaps. But you got a credit Carolina their defensive front, Derek Brown. Those guys did a really good job of nullifying a lot that Dallas was trying to do. They one thing they'd done really well is having their guards pull and move, and they just took it out of the equation and they filled where they needed to be and they did a really good job against that.
Speaker 8: So it was difficult.
Speaker 7: And then obviously, you know, defensively, I mean, Bryce Young is just having a field day and Rico Dowdell's having a field There have been three players three times this year where a player has gone for over two hundred scrimmage yards in a game, and two of them are from Rico.
Speaker 8: Down in the last two weeks. So props to Rico. I always enjoyed Rico when he was here. Happy for him.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's that's super super cool to see him, you know, do that after I think very evidently by his comments last weekend this week, I think that he's you know, he felt disrespected when the Cowboys said, hey, we we maybe like this Drafonte Williams guy over you. Was that the right decision? I guess we can we can talk in retrospect. I think Davonte Williams has been a really good player for this team. I just think he didn't have a great game. But you know, you look at the NFL leading rushers and man, how fast did Rico Dowdell jump up jumps quick to the to the front of the line there.
Speaker 8: Let me, I'm trying to see exactly how long, but uh, you know, he's.
Speaker 7: Already third now by he's four yards by Javonte Williams and he's played like three games.
Speaker 8: So Gretto Rico, he's.
Speaker 7: Playing really well and Carolina is a team that was in need of a win like that. But man, you think about how wildly different the outlook for this season would be if they come out of this game of the win. They're setting at three to two and one, and they've got Washington coming up next week. If if they were able to win that game, then not only do you get to four wins early, but you get a foothold, not a foothold really, but a stronger stance in the division. With the Eagles loss to the Giants, like you mentioned, so this is a game that they needed to win. I mean every game he needed to win in the NFL. But this is a league that may have the most parody that this league has had in a long time. You look across the board and Dak Prescott was talking about it.
Speaker 8: Ever of the game.
Speaker 7: Any given Sunday, any team can beat another team, and it's it's what makes this game super fun. But for Cowboys fans, it's understandable to watch a lot of what happened yesterday and say, man, you.
Speaker 8: Just can't, you can't let some of this happen.
Speaker 1: It also makes this game extremely frustrating, and that's why Patrick's holding up a sign that says this is why my other sign exists talking about the one that says this does not imply that the Cowboys will win the Super Bowl. All of that being said, I think you pointed it out great. Dallas did not establish a run, so it's not all on the defensive side of the ball. I thought Ashawn Robinson dominated the offensive line.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Derek Brown dominated the offensive line. We kind of expected Brown to do so, but Robinson was a little bit of a shock. The offensive line gets two of their starters back, Tyler Guyton, Tyler Smith. The left side of the offensive line is whole again, and you feel very confident in doing so.
Speaker 2: They didn't have a great game. They did not play well.
Speaker 1: The offensive line struggled to set the ground game initially, and it also struggled.
Speaker 2: The block for Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: Dak had to escape a couple different times to allow plays to develop. I mean, I thought, I mean there was a couple of times in the first half, especially where Dak rolled out of the pocket. I said, my goodness, like that pocket collapsed quick, yep, and he was able to still make a play. Dak is playing extremely good football, extremely good. I don't want to put a tag on at the MVP caliber stuff. We'll talk about that as we keep going. But to harp on that every week is one thing, But to just say you're playing good football.
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 1: He's playing tremendous football, and for him not to have a winning record at this point in the season is extremely disheartening.
Speaker 3: We'll give you some stats that back that 'll wasted, okay, since starts were first treck This is via Todd Archers Shots Talk. Since starts were first trecked in nineteen fifty, Dak Prescott is the first quarterback to have eleven or more total touchdowns with zero turnovers and a non winning record over a three start span. M GB not great, Bob, don't give you one more. Dak Prescott in his last three games seventy four to one oh three, seventy two completion percentage, eight hundred and seventeen passing yards, ten touchdown, ten passing touchdowns, with one rushing touchdown, no interceptions. Dallas has scored one hundred and four points in those three games. They won, one lost, one tied one defense. What the hell are you doing out there? Hell are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a frustrating scenario. Like I said, though, it's not all on the defense. The offense did not.
Speaker 2: Play well from it, not all round games from the offensive line.
Speaker 4: It's on the coaching as well. With that.
Speaker 3: As much as we love shot, he's play calling. Yeah, that last offensive position, it was bad.
Speaker 8: Terrible, it was bad.
Speaker 4: To stop it.
Speaker 1: The I want to talk about the defense though, because as much as I want to harp that the passing game was working, George Pickens was great, Jake Ferguson made an impact. Again, you still don't have Cede Lamb or Cavante Turpin and you were still able to move the ball through the air. The ground game, we talked about it defensively. Where do you point your finger? Where do you point it right now? If you're the defense, because I still hang my hat on. You've got to finish pressures. You got to get some level of pass rush. Dallas had zero pass rush against the Carolina Panthers offensive line. Let me say that again. The Cowboys had zero pass rush against the Carolina Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 2: They were offensive line zero.
Speaker 1: I mean, they did not play well at all on the edge last yesterday.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll see your question, Kyle, and I'll ask you a better question follow up, not at quow not a better question. Wrong, I'll ask you and to add on question because that was a phenomenal question.
Speaker 4: Where is the blame not placed.
Speaker 3: On the defensive side of the ball because they couldn't get the pass rush. Yeah, they couldn't stop the run. Your linebackers played very poorly. Yeah, they did play bad. Okay, and your secondary when you look at your safety. So it was such a mercurial game for Donovan Wilson. You get the interception in the twenty one yard return, which then sets up Dak Prescott in the offense to put points on the board, but not long thereafter, your eyes get caught in the backfield. You had one assignment, which was Teed McMillan on that particular play in the red zone, and you let Teed McMillan get behind you. You peeled off because you thought there was pressure on Bryce Young. It doesn't matter if there was pressure back there or not. That's not your responsibility to keep your eyes out of the backfield.
Speaker 4: But that goes to what you myself, Josh and Isaiah have said.
Speaker 1: You're talking about when Donovan sank down. When he sank down, See, I thought he was looking at that that over. I felt like he was because because Ted McMillan or T mack or whatever he wants to be called, took a quick burst inside and then he went right back outside, put a foot in the ground, and he changed directions, and it just went.
Speaker 4: We'll go back and look at it. Either way it was.
Speaker 3: I thought he was sinking on that en route, sinking or eyes in them. Either way, either way, don't peel off tip. But you're not supposed to bite if you're the two high safety. I mean, it was a two high safety shell. And if you're not gonna go down, or if you're not gonna if you're not going to have help underneath, you leave it there so that way you can go and pursue and.
Speaker 2: Make a tackle. As a turning back around and trying to.
Speaker 3: Cover goes back to the to talking Cowboys. His main point when it comes to Donovan Wilson is that utilization. His utilization is not the fit is not there. You're asking him to cover, but he's eternally going to want to crash down eternally that was a perfect example of that. So that's example of the secondary lack of pass rush ted McMillan's second touchdown of the day, Sam Williams have Bryce Young, Dad, the rights take you take Bryce Young down on that play. It's no touchdown, but you didn't he side step. He steps into a throw tech McMillan back of the end zone wide open again. So, Cal you make a great point with the question where's you know? Where do you blame what he plays? To blame on defense? My answer is yes, you placed it on all three phases, all three levels.
Speaker 7: I should say, I think you're right, But in my opinion, this is a football in general. Any level is a line of scrimmage game. If you can't win it the line of scrimmage, more often than not, you are going to lose. Yeah, that's what the Cowboys are doing right now.
Speaker 8: In the run game.
Speaker 7: The last coming into this week, they were third. They gave it the third and most rushing yards in the league in weeks four and week five, and then they do what they did against ric o' dawdle, And you know the in this game, they only had two run stuffs all game, and one of them was from Reddy Stewart. If your nigkel corner has half of your run stuffs in a game, that's not good.
Speaker 8: That's not good. It's not good.
Speaker 7: And Solomon Thomas had the other one. So you know, this is a This is a team that has really really struggled the last couple of weeks after I thought they were okay to start. They weren't great, but they were okay considering what they've been in the past. You take okay over bad any day of the week, and they've kind of reverted back to okay. They're just not really not really playing the run very well.
Speaker 8: And so you start with that.
Speaker 7: And if you can't stop the run in today's NFL, it's already difficult enough because then that opens up the play action game and guys have all day to throw. And why do they have all day to throw? Because you don't have a pass rush. You don't have a pass rush. And you know, I've seen all this talk on Twitter of oh, well, if they had Michael Parsons, then you know they this would be a much better defense.
Speaker 8: I really don't think it would be. I don't think it would.
Speaker 7: They have a better pass rush, absolutely, and does that fix some of the problems. It doesn't matter if Freakodal is going to run for two hundred yards on you.
Speaker 8: It doesn't. It just doesn't.
Speaker 7: So you know, there is blame across the board defensively, but I think it starts up front on the defensive line, because if you can't stop the run and you can't get pressure on a quarterback, it doesn't matter if you're playing Bryce Young or whoever the quarterback is at South Lake Carol.
Speaker 2: He's pretty good quarterback.
Speaker 8: They're undfeet Is he really there?
Speaker 7: You go shout to Riley Dodge because that's on hundred wins coach that that they're just going to have a field day on you, and it's it's exactly what happens, and this happened in this game. And then well you say, okay, well then let's look back at the Jets.
Speaker 8: Why did why did that work?
Speaker 7: Well, they didn't stop the run particularly well, but they had a pass Rudd.
Speaker 8: Those sacks, they had five sacks and they had one sack on bra I don't know.
Speaker 3: The utilization piece is just going to bug me to death because Donald is one thing. And that's why I'm not placing it all on Donald he's got it. He's got to stick to his assignment. So I do place portion of that on him, but again misutilization, But then sometimes that's fair and he's got to learn if he's going to Half of it is on him, absolutely. The other half is on eber Flus. Another thing that's they's blame to go around right, Another thing that's Onlu when it comes to utilization. Look at the fourth and four which ended up being the nail in the coffin the fourth and four throw by Bryce Yield. Yeah, so at initially when you look at the steel photo pre snap, you're going to get pissed off because you're going to say, why the hell is your all pro cornerback who's proven that he can be physical because he came into the league and he played nickel for you ten twelve, one million yards back of Hunter renfro.
Speaker 4: So that's the stillest.
Speaker 1: If you're going to the sticks, you're going to the sticks, and here's talk talk.
Speaker 2: I've got I've got a text thread and talk to him, Barry. I know what would be fine with me? Yeah, we'd be fine.
Speaker 1: I sent him a couple of those screenshots from last night, and this was after postgame. So we had talked about it on post game and then I sent him some more stuff. Barry said the play him meant. There was debate on Twitter. Let's back it up. There's debate on Twitter whether it was Kenneth Murray at fault because he didn't get over in time.
Speaker 4: To cover Murray taken after year of.
Speaker 1: The field, Murray was trying to get over to get there instead of the blame being on Dron Bland. Darron Bland had outside leverage prior to the snap. When we were watching the game, Isaiah Stanback, who's not on the show today, said why are you playing outside leverage on fourth and four? Why are you playing outside leverage on fourth and fourth? Why are you playing outside leverage with cover zero on fourth and fourth. This was prior to the snap, so before the snap even happened. A former quarterback who was on Good Morning Football this morning was looking at that play and saying, that's where the ball should go because that's where the disadvantages for a guy like darn Blaine.
Speaker 2: And that was before he backed out. Then he backed down. He said, why are you backing up? Why are you backing up?
Speaker 1: And then Barry Church chimed in and I asked him after the fact. I was like, do you think Murray was at fault or do you think Bland was at fault? And he said he may have been told to play back de Ron Bland because the play was coming to him, and or because Murray was coming over to him, but not ten yards deep. On fourth down and four, he said, at the worst, his heels should be at the sticks. Talking about de Ron blaant, you should not be eight to ten yards back behind the line of scrimmage, if even if you are getting help from Kenneth Murray. So Kenneth Murray did his best. He took a step and tried to get that direction and almost broke the bats up. He was about a foot and a half away. But to blame Kenneth Murray, there is one thing to say, Deron Bland. It has no blame for playing eight to ten yards off the line of scrimmage. A former safety says, your heels got to be at the sticks because it's the sticks that's where they're trying to go.
Speaker 4: I think that get there that play.
Speaker 3: Everything you described is a microcosm of what's wrong with the Cowboys defense right now and the answer is, is everything right? You little's little details of everything. So if you're criticizing Eberflus for that, and you should be, you're asking why in the world is Deron Bland plane eight to ten yards off and backing out? Now I get the play scheme. Your goal was an overunder with Murray having the under. But then again, like you said, Deron, why'd you back up even more? Yeah, that that shouldn't have happened. But if you're gonna back up, then back up, and then look at Kenneth Murray on the play he was he was cheating a little bit too hard to the left, to the left down.
Speaker 4: So if you are the.
Speaker 3: Under in the over under and you see Deron Bland, you know Deron Bland is back and then backing up, you should shade in that direction. And if you shade in that direction, you probably get that PBu maybe. So then the question is did you overestimate your speed in that situation thinking that I can shade left and still make it back over here as well? The overestimation didn't work out in your favor. So I place equal parts blame on Fluse four not putting Duran up front and just letting him physic get physical with Hunter Renfro, you know, try to disrupt that timing. And at the same time, Kenneth Murray, you've got you got to get to that ball. Don't don't shade to the left when you see that the spacing is on. You know what's going on on the right hand side. So and then what happens, no pass rush ball game.
Speaker 8: And you know, just to put a bow on that last play on fourth down.
Speaker 7: When you watch it, Kenneth Murray hesitates for half a second when he's reading Bryce Young's eyes and then he breaks to try and break that pass up.
Speaker 8: That was the difference.
Speaker 7: And look, Kenneth Murray, it's a tough position to be in because it is his assignment to step into the middle of the field. And when Deron Bland is playing, as Patrick said, a million yards off the line of scrimmage, you're almost begging the offense to throw a quick slant there right That ball's getting out quick and you're just trying to get him because he's got that cushion because the linebackers playing on the opposite side of where he's lined up, so he's got a cross. Essentially, the entire middle of the field, hash to hash in order to get there. If it's oh man, I don't anybody in Kenneth Murray's plays, any linebacker on this team, No one's getting there. They don't have the personnel where they can rely on somebody to cross the field and that much time.
Speaker 8: Unless debarve on Over was.
Speaker 2: Going to there's one he's not on the acting. He's got to be one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: He's got to be one hundred percent and he's still probably got to get his arm out and dive to break up that pass because that got out quick.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but he's still got to get there pretty damp.
Speaker 7: So it's it's disappointing because you know that that's a play where it should be there, and you know you wonder, Okay, if Bland lines up a little bit closer, can he get over and try to knock something away. Well, then you risk the pass interference part of it, and they were throwing quite a bit of passing reference penalties out yesterday. So yeah, maybe maybe we can get some explanation later on on that play. But it looks like that's one where there's once again flames spread across the board because guys are.
Speaker 8: Not putting in his position to succeed.
Speaker 7: And it goes back to here Donovan Wilson talk. I don't think Donovan Wilson's been putting in this position to succeed a lot because they're asking him to cover more often than not. Donovan Wilson should not have as many coverage responsibilities as he has. Should Is he going to get some naturally? Yeah, you play safety, you're going to, right, But this is a guy.
Speaker 4: Who is a box safety.
Speaker 7: Good at yeah, plenty of the box and going up and hitting people. And when you're asking him to make decisions on okay, do I need to cover the double move or cover the crosser?
Speaker 8: And it's just not his game. It's really not.
Speaker 7: And so it's there's a lot of guys who are not playing their game right now, and that's why you're seeing a lot of the issues that you're seeing.
Speaker 1: I want to take our first break when we come back. I want to ask a question generated by the fans.
Speaker 6: I like those.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of talk around the defense and what to do.
Speaker 1: Next, Okay, I want to answer some of those questions in a realistic sense when we come back with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 4: Right after this.
Speaker 2: I'm home.
Speaker 7: Hey mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 8: Hey can you hey hun, Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 6: Hey, here's your wine.
Speaker 2: Wow? Isn't it nice not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 9: That's why if there's a network interruption, AT and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fiber downtime lasting twenty minutes and more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident PAC ten and more tours Strictions exclusions apply.
Speaker 2: Se at dot com slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 1: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 5: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 6: We're with you.
Speaker 5: That's our promise to you because no matter of the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 2: Where were you?
Speaker 8: Where are you? United?
Speaker 6: How's it going? You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: I watched I've been seeing some good things totally.
Speaker 8: They have some talent, You have some great talents and they got some fight hoping.
Speaker 6: This is the year. Me too. Oh I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go. Cowboys make a new.
Speaker 10: Friend based solely on their shirt choice. What would you like the power to do? Bank of America the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 6: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This segment is brought to you by and Visitline, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Back my teeth a problems?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Back with Patrick No, there's a lot.
Speaker 1: I got you, Tommy Arrish, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. This is kind of interesting. You know how like YouTube does their like auto like they do their AI chat summary. Yeah, first pop on I've never seen it before, and it drops down and it says, like what the.
Speaker 2: Chat is talking about.
Speaker 1: I happen to like catch up glimpse of it, and I took a screenshot of it.
Speaker 2: This is kind of funny.
Speaker 1: It just completely summarized Cowboys social media over the last twenty four hours in one AI blurb, the entire state of the Cowboys fan base on social media has been completely summarized. This is the chat summary from YouTube. Viewers in the chat are expressing disappointment with the Cowboys performers, particularly the defense, with some calling for the defensive coordinator to be fired. Some viewers are blaming Dak, while others defend him, and some are mentioning Jerry Jones.
Speaker 8: It'd summarize the last like three years too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it very well could be, especially without naming the defensive coordinator position. It could certainly be the case. But yeah, good job AI YouTube chat summaries.
Speaker 2: That's kind of interesting. How you just summed it all up.
Speaker 1: But there has been a lot of talk about what to do next on the defensive side of the football. Is there need for a change when it comes to the coordinator position this early in the season. Remember we're six games in, We're a third of the way through. Is there a change for personnel? Do you make a trade? Do you go and get something from wherever you can? Is this team close enough to do either one of those things? And so do you write it out and just hope it gets better with injuries and guys that are returning from injury. That being the case, there's options here for the Dallas Cowboys. Where would you start if you were in the GM shoes?
Speaker 3: Patrick noci Walk putn't my gmcap one first and foremost. I am absolutely entertaining a trade of some Just to remind everyone, we're not permitted to say names of players that cannot actually obligate it to other teams because it's fewed, it's tampering. But I would absolutely go in trade. You're two three and one right now. Is the season completely lost?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 3: But it's on the verge of it. It's like we were talking about before we went hot on the first segment. You're on the verge of it. You drop this game to the commanders, who knows what happened happens against the Broncos. So now is the time if you're going to make a change to the personnel, because as it stands, your returnees, notwithstanding which Demo is a he's like the warhead they're hoping returns here soon, and he will return soon. We'll see if that's early mid November, which is my prediction, but that's just me. So, yeah, you get the warhead back, but you know, does he need some grace to get back to one hundred percent to be able to make the play that Murray was unable to make in that situation.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 3: But you can't solely depend on DeMar Fion Overshown coming back from injured reserve. So for me, I'm going to make a trade. That's my GM CAP personnel changes. You made a personnel change yesterday that I floated on the show two or three weeks ago when Deron Blank came back. You made that change. Trevon Diggs is on the outside, Darn Bland is on the outside. Ready Stewart is at your nickel, yep. So you granted me that. Thank you didn't much help yesterday, but you know you granted me that. From the defensive interior, you brought in Kenny Clark, you sat Mazie again, so you're figuring things out.
Speaker 2: Kenny Clark had his worst game of he did.
Speaker 4: The defensive interior didn't have a great game.
Speaker 2: You didn't play well.
Speaker 4: Gass rushers didn't have a great game.
Speaker 1: The one part of this defense that all season long Weight said was consistent and better than everybody else ended up having their worst.
Speaker 3: And you know, I hate to say this, but this is where we are, man, And I'm laughing while I'm about to say it, And the chat's going to go crazy when I say it, because so not only would I trade for maybe some linebackers sistance, you gotta get a.
Speaker 2: Pass rust to get an edge.
Speaker 4: You got to get an edge thrussure man. So yeah, they traded away Michael Parsons. And you know me, I've not been on that.
Speaker 3: Like once it happened, it is like, all right, let's just kind of move on now that we moved on from that happening. Because nothing wipes up that spilled milk. You can at least acknowledge the error in that there is the pass rush. You need pass rush, so I go trade for a linebacker, I trade for a paths rusher. As far as that's the GM cap, the owner cap, I don't think they make a change right now with DC. I think they see enough from their perview. This is not me speaking from their perview. I think they see enough positive with the scheme. And like you said, some of this is.
Speaker 4: Accountable to the players, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: So because of that ladder point that a part of that sentence, I think it buys Eberflus more time. I think shot he wants to give Eberflus this entire season. He wants to see it work out. Now ask me this question at the end of the year. If it continues as it is and then it starts to smell like a Mike Nolan situation, yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Very easily could.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you on that since but I'll get to my point here in a minute, Tommy.
Speaker 8: So let me ask you this.
Speaker 7: Guys, when we talk about windows for championships in Super Bowls and things like that, sure, usually your window gets opened when you stack together some really good drafts, and in recent history it's been some really good drafts, one of which you get your rookie quarterback, and you're paying a rookie quarterback. Well, right now, the Cowboys have got Dak Prescott's their window is a little bit different, and he's playing at such a high level that you want to be able to maximize that. So he's got three years left after is it three years or two years after this year?
Speaker 8: Three years after this year?
Speaker 7: So three years left on his deal after this year. You've got two first round picks in the next two drafts. And you should never tank. I'm not a fan of tanking, and it's not a thing like, it's not something that you should do.
Speaker 8: You play to win the game.
Speaker 7: But when you have that draft capital that is so valuable, and you were willing to move off of an all world pass rusher to obtain that draft capital, I think you use it with the long term in mind, and you want to maximize on that window. Right So I understand your point of making a trade for right now, and again the season has not lost.
Speaker 4: A two three, you have extra picks from that, and you have extra.
Speaker 7: Picks, But I don't think there is a single player that you can trade for right now, even two or three players that would wildly change the landscape of this defense. I really just don't think there are that many that would take this from a unit that has been basically dead last in terms of yards allowed per game to all of a sudden, you know, Okay, this is going to be a even a top half of the NFL defense. I just don't think they're there right now. I don't think they have the personnel for that. So I think you have to kind of mix the long term shot with the present, and there's gonna be some things where either way you're going to just have to live with what you got, but you have to build towards the future. And the good thing about this team is they have drafted fairly well compared to other teams.
Speaker 8: Sure, you're going to have your missus here and there, You're never not you.
Speaker 2: Need more contributions from your current but you need.
Speaker 8: More contributions from your current class.
Speaker 7: And if you're going to use those two first round picks in the next two years, boy do those four guys have to hit or two or three of the four pretty quickly.
Speaker 8: And so you know, what are they going to do? Who knows?
Speaker 7: I'm with Patrick and I'm sure you stand the same, Kyle. I don't think they're going to move on from Mattiberflus.
Speaker 8: It just doesn't. That's not going to fix anything. That's not going to fix anything because.
Speaker 7: Right now, who else so you can what's the interim going to change that isn't already an issue? So I don't think that's the I don't think that's the solution. I think this is really more of the personnel right now is not where it needs to be to have an league defense.
Speaker 8: I just don't think it is.
Speaker 4: All you need is this defense to be mid.
Speaker 8: They don't even need to be great. They need to be a.
Speaker 3: If they're just mid, you you're probably you're over five hundred if they're just mid.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's where my point comes in. I agree with everything that you guys have just said. First, let me just start off by saying, if we thought ibra Flus was going to be moved on from, or that he deserved to be moved on from, we are allowed to say that on the show. I just want to let that be clear. We can talk that before we've absolutely absolutely Mike Nolan's won. Mike Zimmer was another one. Mike McCarthy that conversation. We've talked about it, Yeah, we've we've had that that ability to.
Speaker 2: Talk about that stuff all, which is it's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna happen, and I don't think it should happen right this secon It's week six, guys, Week six of the NFL season. So don't expect it to happen next week or the week after or the week after. Don't expect it, honestly before the end of the season. Unless the season's out of reach and you are out of playoff contention and your team is one of the worst defensively in the in the league, which very could, very well could happen, then you can maybe talk about it because then you're moving on.
Speaker 2: You're not giving up.
Speaker 1: They're not giving up on the season yet, So Mattyberflues will remain your defensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: That's just part of it.
Speaker 1: What happened, you guys, remember what happened on August twenty eighth of this year of this year. Isn't that the that's the mic that was the Mica trade. Since that day, Dallas Cowboys acquired a couple of first round picks. Right, I've said, hold on to those picks, use them from a draft standpoint, Yes, you have and build toward twenty six, twenty seven, twenty eight.
Speaker 4: That's the draft show, and you're talking.
Speaker 2: I love the NFL Draft, I love the Draft show.
Speaker 1: I love all of that.
Speaker 2: I'm super excited about those first round picks.
Speaker 1: I would love to draft those first round picks because your team's good enough to have those first round.
Speaker 2: Picks and still be in contention. But kind of what Tommy just said.
Speaker 1: The window of opportunity a lot of times coincides with the window of how your quarterback is playing, and the window of what your quarterback is playing right now is the best that it's ever been. Dak Prescott is playing his best football of his career, and just like Patrick said in the open, you're wasting it. You're wasting this opportunity with Dak Prescott and an offense around him with weapons. George Pickens, Mike Oh, George Pickens is just playing at an extremely high level and he doesn't even have Ceedee Lamb opposite of him. Ceedee Lamb's coming back. He's going to be fine. Jake Ferguson is the leading tight end receiving or leading receiving tight end in the NFL. Right now, you have the top tight end, you have one of the most explosive players, and you have an elite wide receiver and a quarterback that's playing in an MVP caliber level. I don't need this defense to be top three or four. I don't need them to be top three or four of the NFL, and I don't think they can get there. They could trade for two All pros and they're probably not there. But what you can do is make some conservative effort to improve the personnel on the defensive side of the football and get them to a point where they are serviceable. That's what I'm asking for. You don't need to trade for an All Pro. You don't need to spin those first round picks, though. If the opportunity is there and the price is right, then come on down. Let's try and get a little All Pro. Let's go Bob Barker, Let's go Drew whatever carry is and whatever his name is, Drew Carrey. I would be fine trading those picks now, more so than ever, just because I've seen how elite this offense is and you are so close on the offensive side. You just got to get closer on the defensive side, close that gap a little bit, and I think this is a football team that with a wide open division, can win the division and make some noise because of how elite they are on the offensive side. Defense win championships, but so do elite offenses. We've seen that in the modern day.
Speaker 2: NFL too. Got to find a way to make them better because right now it's not working.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Welcome to the trade party.
Speaker 2: I'm here, but I'm here. Let's make something happen.
Speaker 7: I think I think you have a good point there, and and I wouldn't mind trading draft capital for sure better players.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: Again, though, if you're going to trade, if you're going to trade one of those, or even both of those, let's let's.
Speaker 2: Hold on one of them.
Speaker 7: Well, if you're if you're gonna say, say, trade one for one elite player and there for another elite player, I really just do not think will it make a difference. Absolutely will take this defense from good to maybe mediocre.
Speaker 1: Sure, probably that's all I think you need. That that's to a degree.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But if we are talking about the goal being winning a super Bowl, I don't think that's enough. I think you need to have both an elite offense and an elite defense in today's NFL, because you look at I think you do.
Speaker 8: You look at the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 7: They've got an elite quarterback, and they've got a defense that plays really well under Steve Spagnol with elite players everywhere.
Speaker 2: Solid.
Speaker 7: You look at Philadelphia Eagles, they have an elite offense, maybe not this year, and an elite defense that has playmakers everywhere.
Speaker 8: If that's what we're.
Speaker 7: Comparing this to, and that's what history has shown in recent years that is necessary to win a Super Bowl, Cowboys don't have that, and I don't think two trades would necessarily change that, and.
Speaker 8: It very rarely would it, very rarely would it.
Speaker 7: Are there players out there that you trade a first round pick or whatever to help this defense?
Speaker 8: Absolutely, the bar is not very high.
Speaker 1: So with that mindset, and I don't think you're entirely wrong, you have to be better. I just think this offense is good enough to carry the load. That's all I'm saying. Sure, But if we're going to go by that mentality and we're that conversation, let's start trading players. Let's throw in the towel here in a couple of weeks, if things don't go your way and Washington or against Washington in Denver, you go into the bye week and you're what two five and one at that point, Let's go ahead, Let's let's start building toward that time. Let's start building toward twenty six, twenty seven, twenty eight, because you have the draft capitlo already. Let's just scrap this thing and get going, because, like you said initially, with the current window that Dak Prescott is playing in, it's whoever you're drafting in those first round opportunities is either going to have to hit immediately or it's going to be a quarterback playing.
Speaker 2: That's just part of it. And then Dak's career at that point will be in.
Speaker 4: The rearview mirror.
Speaker 3: So here's here's my counter point, and this is why I shook my head, Tommy. I don't think, well, it would be ideal, goes what I was saying. It will be ideal for you to be able to build a situation where you have an elite defense and an elite offense. Every NFL team, that's what that's the goal, that's the goal. But not every Super Bowl winner has that. So then you go and look at each respective Super Bowl winning you ask yourself which side of the ball won them the Super Bowl. Okay, there are situations where if you have an elite defense, then your offense can be just average, slightly above average, just do enough, and it's the end versus true as well. So if this situation where dak is playing out of his mind and George Pickens is playing out of his mind and Seedy Land when he comes back, gets back to playing out of his mind, and yesterday's game against the Panthers, notwithstanding Javonte Williams and the rushing attack gets back on treasures your offense. We can all agree that your offense is elite. What you need from your defense is to be average to slightly above average. But in that you need takeaways. Yes, you have to get takeaways. You can't be so this is where I agree with you. You can't simply be average to slightly above average and that's it. You have to be slightly above average but have splash plays. The Cowboys defense is not only poor right now and the worst in the league just generally speaking, in several major categories and most of that matter, they're also the worst in league and splash plays and taking them ball away and giving up splash and giving.
Speaker 4: Up splash plays. So look at the spectrum. Look at the spectrum.
Speaker 3: You're giving up a bunch of explosive plays, but you're not generating explosive plays on your side of the ball either. It's it's a recipe for disaster and that's what we're seeing. So this Cowboys team or just just strip it away because people are going to take what I'm about to say.
Speaker 4: So, oh, you know, see you're saying the Cowboys can.
Speaker 2: That's not what I'm saying now, And that's not what I'm saying either.
Speaker 3: Let's say any NFL team, any NFL team, any of the thirty two. You can win a Super Bowl with an elite offense and an average to slightly above average defense, as long as that defense is doing two things. One limiting explosive plays, which by definition makes you slightly above average or better, and creating explosive plays with takeaways and force fumbles. You put that together, that can win you a Super Bowl. It doesn't have to be elite plus elite.
Speaker 4: That's ideal. That's what everybody wants.
Speaker 1: I want to hear it Tommy's rebuttal after the break. We gotta go to the break Tommy's rebuttal when we come back.
Speaker 6: How's it going. You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: I watched. I've been seeing some good thanks totally. They have some talent.
Speaker 8: You have some cream talent, and they got some fight hoping.
Speaker 6: This is the year me too. Oh, I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you. Travis. Go, Cowboys Go.
Speaker 10: Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice. What would you like the power to do? Bank of America the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Copyright twenty twenty five, Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 11: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious cold doctor pepper for everyone.
Speaker 2: The wins will be even taste Here it's a pepper thing.
Speaker 1: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liptball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 2: I'm home.
Speaker 7: Hey, mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 8: Hey can you ahn? Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 4: Here's your wine.
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Isn't it nice not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 9: That's why if there's a network interruption, AT and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fiber downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident impact in ten more towers, Striz things go and supply it att dot Com slash guarantee.
Speaker 6: For details to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Backyard Talking Cowboys following the thirty to twenty seven loss to the Carolina Panthers, Patrick Nocy, Walker, Tommy Yarish, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans. We are debating what to do next. If you're the Dallas Cowboys. Do you trade for prospects to try and get your defense close enough to being at a serviceable or even above average level. Do you let it ride with the draft picks that you've got, or do you continue on as you're going and figure out it down the line, which is probably what's ultimately gonna happen. But Tommy Patrick had just given his thoughts, I want you to rebuttle here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 7: Part of the reason why all of us are agreeing with so many different aspects of what we're all saying is because there is no concrete answer or solution to this right now, really just going off of what history has shown us recently, and because everybody had the answer everybody be winning super Bowls, but look, I think that you need to have a really strong presence on both sides of the football more often than not to be able to win you Super Bowl. And it's not always because teams have done without that. I think the prime example of that, and I'm apologizing in advance to Cowboys fans, is the twenty twenty three Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Because Dak Prescott on the offense, they're playing at an unbelievably high level. The defense was I.
Speaker 7: Would categorize as above average, above average to average. And look at what happens when the Green bit Packers come into town. They walk the floor with you, mop the floor with you, whatever the term is. Sure, it's not even close. And so that's what I'm saying is, you know, that's a defense that had Michael Parsons. That's a defense that had all of the pieces, most of the pieces that they've got that you know, you would say, okay, And I think really that was a team that you could say of all the Cowboys team in the last thirty years where they've been in the strout, that team was up there and the ones that had the best chance to win all oh seven fourteen yeah, yeah, maybe not the best, but up there with it. And they had what you guys are talking about a elite offense with a average to above average defense.
Speaker 8: And look at what happens Week one.
Speaker 4: But you know what, you didn't have a single takeaway in that game.
Speaker 7: And but but but to the takeaways point, Cowboys have won the turnover battle the last three games. They've been plus in the turnover battle of the last three games. But you're giving only won, Well, that's what I'm saying is but yeah, it's exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: It's it.
Speaker 8: It doesn't even matter.
Speaker 7: And yes, the turnover battle is something that every coach, regardless of level, every time we call a high school game, what are the keys to the game?
Speaker 8: Coach had got to win the turnover battle.
Speaker 7: You can win the turnover battle and it won't matter if you're giving up. You know, like like I, you're ready for the Panthers play calls in the fourth.
Speaker 8: Quarter, run run, run, run, run, run, run.
Speaker 7: Pass, run, pass, touchdowns, run, pass, pass, punt, run, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, run, run, pass, pass, run, run, run, run, run, field goal.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of runs.
Speaker 4: They were cooking the clock on purpose, which was very well.
Speaker 1: They were, which is very so I thought David Hellman put out a great tweet. I don't have it in front of me, but I'm paraphrasing. He basically is saying, one of the most embarrassing parts of this defensive performance is that you gave the ball back to Carolina with about six minutes left, and you weren't able to touch the ball again. That's that was part of the problem in that whole sense. So I do I agree with you, Tommy, and I agree with you in different ways. I think you're not close enough yet to categorize this as a Super Bowl contingent team, and you probably won't when you make a move of some sort.
Speaker 2: But I think a pass rusher and a solidified either safety corner throw them in the secondary. We'll figure it out one way or the other. Will help limit those big plays.
Speaker 1: They will limit the pass play or the splash plays that have really hurts you to this point because the edge rusher. If you're able to get home with an edge rusher that's elite and elevate the rest of the edge rushers in that rotation, all of a sudden, the time clock starts to shrink.
Speaker 2: Your time clock.
Speaker 1: As a quarterback to operate, starts to shrink. That puts less stress on your secondary. And if you've got another body in the say secondary, whether it's a safety, whether it's a corner, doesn't really matter. We'll have a conversation, i'm sure at some point this week about Trayvon Diggs and his play and what it has been through the first month and a half. He hasn't been there, he hasn't been it. It hasn't been good. So maybe you get a corner to solidify one side of the field, Maybe you do something like that. They're one or two moves away from being serviceable. I agree with you, though, Tommy, I don't think they're going to be elite. They would love to be the twenty twenty three Cowboys defense. That's where they would love to be. But it gave them a shot in two three, and they missed their shot. I think Dak Prescott's playing at a level right now to where you can bank on them having a shot as long as the defense is service.
Speaker 3: Really really quick, because I'm looking at the time and then I'll know we close out the thing. And I'm glad you brought up the Green Bay game because it actually makes my point, this was one of the best defenses in the league that season. But you know what, they struggled against run defense. Yes, right, So it's it's always you can't be elite if you're strugg if you have a gaping hole somewhere. Rather it be and giving up chunk players or stopping the run. They had an issue.
Speaker 2: Could not stop the run.
Speaker 3: They were the best in the league at taking the ball away. Okay, green Bay came in, they couldn't stop the run and they didn't take the ball away.
Speaker 2: It was all the red flags.
Speaker 4: So there you go. That's my point.
Speaker 3: So that means they were not an elite defense because when the time came to really buck up and it's postseason and you're at home and you're against the Green Bay Backpackers, you didn't need You suffered against run defense, which is something you had done all season, and you were unable to do the one thing that made you great, which were splash plays and not allowing chunk plays. So that means they were never really a great defense that year. They just were great at takeaways, and then they weren't able to get none of you get in it against the Green Bay Packers, and then the run defense showed you what it was against the Green Bay Packers. So you don't need an elite and elite. You want both. You want both to be elite. But you're not gonna. I've watched too much NFL football to believe that you require both of those things to be perfectly in sync to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: That's rarely the case, actually, so, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, even if you go back and look at Eagles Chiefs, the defense won that game for the Eagles, not the offense.
Speaker 4: The offense.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: One word answers and then we're getting out of here. Are you moving on?
Speaker 1: For Maddie refuse no too soon. That's two words, so yes or no oh no, by no no for me. For you, it's four words, chuck all right.
Speaker 3: And then it was like Tupac like the number two, and then soon so too. So the picks, the first round picks, trade them or keep them?
Speaker 8: Keep them?
Speaker 4: Trade them.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say trade one. I'm gonna trade them.
Speaker 4: Split your difference.
Speaker 2: I'll split the difference, all right.
Speaker 4: Switch.
Speaker 2: That's gonna do it for us.
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 1: I flipped the script. I've had a change of heart today. That's gonna do it for us. Here on Talking Cowboys. Will be back on Wednesday. No show tomorrow. We've got a little bit going on here in studio, so we will not be here tomorrow. We will be back Wednesday and we'll start turning the page going into the Week seven matchup against Dan Quinn and the Washington Commanders. For Patrick Nosey Walker, tommy Rs, Chris Beam in the back, I'm Kyle Yoman saying so long.
Speaker 2: We'll see you on Wednesday with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.