Speaker 1: Pushkin Hi listeners, you know that hero on Revision is history. We ask a lot of questions about the systems that have shaped our worldviews. While we're hard at work on our new season, we wanted to share another podcast that hits these points and asks big questions too. It's called seneon Radio, and today I'm bringing you an episode from their aptly named new season, The News. Some have called the news media the oxygen of a functioning democracy, but if that's true, America's lungs are in rough shape. Many Americans say they don't trust the media. The business model for local journalism has all been collapsed, and we all know about the barrage of misinformation that flows from our splintered media escape. You can't separate the state of our news media from the other profound crises that America keeps on failing to solve. Hosted by John Bewen and now in its eighth season, the two time Peabody Award nominated show explores the roots of this crisis and asks what's really wrong with the news. It's an eight part series, so you'll want to check out the rest, but for now, here's episode one. Find Seat on Radio wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 2: All right, we're rolling.
Speaker 3: Good sir, here we go. Asian markets are mostly down today.
Speaker 4: That's dangerous flash flooding ripping through parts of Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: This is a box news alart.
Speaker 5: This is our camera angle.
Speaker 6: From our Americans if we want to be are inundated with news from countless sources, some of New York Times. I'm Michael la Welcome back to One American News.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for and at the same time, we're stuck in a deep information crisis the news.
Speaker 6: It seems like we're helpless to solve our problems. It doesn't help that we have no shared narrative and few shared facts.
Speaker 7: What is happening right now in the world and what just happened to my friend Charlie Kirk is a battle of sheer evil versus goodness.
Speaker 8: To me, Fox News just not They don't tell the whole story.
Speaker 2: I consider myself a centrist.
Speaker 6: I'm not particularly interested in the MSNBC.
Speaker 9: What I'm saying is, don't try me today, Scotty.
Speaker 2: York Post, big questions. A whole lot of us don't know what's true. Oh, we firmly believe and will fight you over things that are not true.
Speaker 3: Let's get rid of these voting machines.
Speaker 10: There's a half a dozen people, whether it's a House or Senate Larry, that are up here as we speak that did not get elected.
Speaker 2: It was all bogus.
Speaker 11: Just so people understand, wind and solar only work when there's wind and sun.
Speaker 7: We don't have technology to store the energy from wind and solar.
Speaker 3: So if you make yoursel.
Speaker 10: I'm very disappointed in the mainstream media, and that's all I'll say about that.
Speaker 6: It's hard to imagine putting the toothpaste back in the tube. And maybe there's no golden age to return to anyway. So now what change your eye?
Speaker 2: Hey? John?
Speaker 6: You know our little montage could have just kept on going.
Speaker 2: I better stopped now because I feel like you're gonna get us in trouble, you know what I mean. We got hundreds thousands more news and news ish outlets to choose from.
Speaker 6: We are a wash in media, at least some of us are, but we don't seem very happy about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, everybody's mad at the news media. And if I'm being honest, yeah, like I get it right, because if you look around, so much of what passes for news out there is like not that good. In fact, a lot of it is trash.
Speaker 6: We could easily find people who would disagree with you or me about which acts of journalism are the trashy ones. But no question about it, people are not happy. According to a Gallup poll in twenty twenty five, only twenty eight percent of Americans had even a fair amount of confidence in the major media. Seventy percent of us say we have not much or no confidence at all.
Speaker 2: That crisis of trust is a huge problem for American journalism, and it's not the only problem.
Speaker 6: A lot of people at first blush might not care about a media crisis, especially if they think the media sucks.
Speaker 2: But people need the media to live, right. They need to know what the status of their healthcare is. They need to know what the weather is, you know what I'm saying, and if there's going to be like like an earthquake. They need to know if their rights are going to be violated, right, I mean, it's just like something that you need to live your everyday lives. And also, how are you going to run a democracy where the people are supposed to govern ourselves if we don't have the information, if we don't have any shared sense of what's going on out there.
Speaker 6: That's more or less what Thomas Jefferson said, Our good buddy. Wherever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.
Speaker 2: That's good because I only try to say things that Thomas Jefferson said, you know that about it. That's when I checked the child every time before I say so, Did Thomas Jefferson say this? Okay?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right. We've picked on him a number of times on this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, look, he was right. You know what I'm saying, being a slaveholder, a racist. That don't mean you're not right about anything.
Speaker 6: Right, But yeah, does anybody here think that the fourth estate, the news media as it's now constructed, is doing its job that Americaans are well enough informed to be trusted with our own government. From the Keenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University, Welcome to sin On Radio Season eight. I'm John Bwen, producer and host of the show.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm Chinjerrakumanika, excited to come back as.
Speaker 6: The co host, jenj. You are an award winning podcast maker Empire City on civil Unruly Subjects and seen on radio. You were my co host for seasons two and four, and you're a professor at New York University's Journalism School with a PhD in Mass Communication and Critical Media studies, so you're officially an expert on the thing we're here to explore this time around.
Speaker 2: Finally, you know what I'm saying. We in my lane. Now you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: You got the paper credentials. This time we're calling this season the News. We're going to take a hard, deep look the troubled state of the news media in the US and how that crisis relates to the other profound problems we seem unable or unwilling to solve.
Speaker 2: Another key thing we're going to do is sort through the various crises in our news and information system and the most common reasons people say they're pissed about the media, and we're going to ask what's really wrong? Is it what we think it is.
Speaker 6: We will do some history along the way. We might challenge some mythology around journalistic tradition in America and parts of US history itself for that matter, in ways that could also shed light on how our news media are failing us in this pivotal historical moment.
Speaker 2: And eventually we're going to talk about solutions what it might look like to unbreak the media, because the thing is, this stuff really matters. The stakes are about as high as they could be.
Speaker 6: Media are so much a part of our lives that, in a real sense, we're made of media. The media helps to shape a society but also act as a mirror showing us who we are.
Speaker 2: And John, like I have a confession. We talk about people being angry at the news media, and of course folks are angry for wildly different reasons. But what I'm looking at so called journalism that I see is completely false and dishonest. I find myself getting mad at the people who consume that news and believe it, Like why y'all drinking and kool aid?
Speaker 6: I know what you mean. And let's put a pin in that thought, as they say, right now, before we go further, just a quick note for the grammar purists. Yes you will hear us do that thing that a whole lot of people do now where we say the media as if it's one thing.
Speaker 2: Right, but the word is plural, and we'll never lose sight of the fact that the media is a tangled web, not a monolith.
Speaker 6: Here in episode one. Let's start with us, not Tender Eye and me, but us, everybody who consumes news media, whether you take in a ton of it or hardly any what drives us as we try to inform ourselves?
Speaker 2: That's the question, you know what I'm saying. I mean, we talk so much about whether we can trust our news sources, but can we trust ourselves.
Speaker 6: I've spent some time over the last year or so in a corner of North Carolina talking with folks about a lot of things, their politics, what their lives are like, and about the news.
Speaker 2: And why'd you go to that particular place.
Speaker 6: It's a good question in one sense. We could have gone almost anywhere. But as folks will hear throughout the season, this patch of North Carolina, which is not far from where I live, is a compelling place to see some of the most pressing problems with our news media and some impressive efforts to respond and fill the gaping holes in the system. By the way, Chenje, you know, I think it's safe to say some of those news consumers you're frustrated with live in this place.
Speaker 2: Ah Well, in that case, let me take a deep breath, Hi, I can't wait to hear what you.
Speaker 7: Found all your favorite country played back to back to the eighth.
Speaker 2: Country he.
Speaker 6: Saw. We're going to refer to this part of North Carolina as the border Belt. It's an old term used over the last century for a tobacco growing region that ran along both sides of the North and South Carolina border. A lot of the tobacco's gone now. The farms grow corn and soybeans and other crops. The radio signals in these rural counties come from a ways off, mainly the bigger cities of Wilmington and Fayetteville, and they sound like it.
Speaker 2: So get your Wednesday off to a good storm with me.
Speaker 4: Gilbert bays on Newstox exporting w FNC turn left on the North Carolina forty one south.
Speaker 6: I spent time just on the North Carolina side in a cluster of counties Scotland and Robison to the west, Bladen and Columbus to the east. This place is racially diverse, with large white, Black, and indigenous populations, and long struggling North Carolina ranks in the bottom half of states in per capita income. In the border Belt, folks make twelve to twenty thousand dollars less than the state average. There are a lot of manufactured homes, trailer parks, single wides, double wides, the kind of dotted everywhere was good.
Speaker 2: Enemy with surprised guests, music and mortgage all in the breakfast club weekday mornings Ontville, there's still number one station for hip hop and R and B, the big stick Boxy ninety nine.
Speaker 6: Most of these counties are also what are called news deserts. That means they have no more than one local news source, and often the surviving newspapers have shriveled to a few pages of mostly sports and features. They don't print a whole lot of news.
Speaker 8: And John, you want to come in or you want to sit on a porch.
Speaker 6: I talk to a range of people in the Border Belt about their media diets.
Speaker 8: I usually sit here and have my coffee, and I'm sitting here on the couch and I'm watching the news local stations which are located in Wilmington, but they carry this area.
Speaker 10: I don't watch a lot of news, but what I watch Newsmax or Fox.
Speaker 8: I try not to get my news from social media too much, but sometimes I'm scrolling through Twitter and I see something and it catches my eye.
Speaker 12: I still think that a lot of our people get their information from their local radio station too. Whatever they play in between songs and stuff like that, whatever top of news update.
Speaker 6: We're gonna spend more time getting to know this guy, Ethan Jordan. I find him in Columbus County. He's driving a big John Deere tractor pulling a planting rig down the road near his family's place. I can just leave it here. I climbed the ladder to his two person tractor.
Speaker 3: Cap you got enough room to make it work.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, how you doing good?
Speaker 10: Nice to meet you here.
Speaker 3: Let me get indoor a little bit better, so ran.
Speaker 6: Ethan's in his late twenties. He has reddish brown hair and a round face. He and his family raised corn, soybeans, peanuts, and beef cattle. On this April day, he's planting corn right here.
Speaker 10: Will we farm total twenty two hundred acres between me and my dad and two employees. I believe if you get back, I'm the eighth generation at Jordan Farman on this land that we're on right now.
Speaker 3: Actually, this is so many regional fall we're on.
Speaker 6: In front of Ethan in the cab are a half dozen screens. They monitor the seed and fertilizer. He's dropping the weather conditions, the technology that's doing the driving, Yes.
Speaker 10: Sir, that's my GPS, which controls the auto year. As you see, I'm not touching the steerwheel and it's steering.
Speaker 6: And for the long hours he spends in the tractor, he also has media handy.
Speaker 10: I know, I have Fox News on this iPad and I will watch Fox News from time to time. And it's not Newsmax's that ad that has all the news in it.
Speaker 3: Well, you see, I have Fox News here, but there's an app that I can't call the name of right now.
Speaker 6: He finds it his go to news aggregator.
Speaker 10: Right here's this app right here, matter of fact news break news break app.
Speaker 3: And it kind of you know, I guess it goes.
Speaker 10: Through your algorithm of what you look up and stuff like that, because if you look at mine, talks about farmers react to Trump's tariffs, tells me about the local news news and so that I have that that pops up and it'll be anywhere from CNBC to WCT the daily Daily Beast, I don't know, but anyway, it just shows you know, local and national news and if it's national news. It's more related to what I look up, which is obviously farming's, you know, agricultural related topics.
Speaker 3: It's where I get a lot of my news from.
Speaker 10: To say I actually sit down and watch the news, it's kind of hard to say.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 10: We'll watch it if something interested is going on on the iPad, if I'm in a trat to running it.
Speaker 6: Ethan lives with his fiance. He's a lawyer. There's a local newspaper, the News Reporter, out of nearby Whiteville, that comes out twice a week. Ethan sometimes looks at its website, but he and his fiance don't subscribe.
Speaker 3: And I've lived by myself.
Speaker 10: I lived out of my parents' house for now going on the fifth year, and I can say I've.
Speaker 3: Honestly never had a newspaper in my house or even picking one up. I know, there's not want to have been in my house. My parents get one every week.
Speaker 6: But for local news, he relies on Facebook, which includes reports from nearby outlets and comments from the community. He mentions a recent criminal incident in a nearby town.
Speaker 3: We're sitting there talking with a group of friends, and where'd you read that at? Oh?
Speaker 10: If you go on Facebook, look at WWA wise post about it, but look at the comments and you can see the video, So now you kind of you know, you look at Facebook, cause yeah, the papers and you know they'll tell you about it. But a lot of times you can read through the comments and find somebody who actually lived it and see their opinion, and you know, sometimes opinions are biased, but you do get kind of seen more of a real live feeling by reading the comments. So a lot of my news not gonna say I trust Facebook by no stretching, no matter, because everybody has a different opinion, but you can kind of see the gist of what's going on.
Speaker 6: Ethan votes Republican, along with everybody in his family and their neighbors. He says, Historically, this region, white folks included, voted for Democrats. Until ten or twenty years ago.
Speaker 10: We were all Democrats and in all of a sudden, we woke up one day and we're Republicans.
Speaker 6: As much as we all rely on the media to get information and to decide how to vote, it's worth highlighting what Ethan says when I ask who he voted for in the North Carolina governor's race in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Four, Mark Robinson, Yes, I did.
Speaker 6: You may remember hearing about Mark Robinson, no matter how far you are from North Carolina. He was the Republican nominee who lost to Democrat Josh Stein. Robinson made international news for inflammatory statements he apparently made, including on a porn website maligning Martin Luther King, defending Hitler, questioning the Holocaust, and calling himself a black Nazi. Ethan tells me he had to choose between the two candidates, suggesting it was a vote for his preferred party, but he also says this about Robinson.
Speaker 10: I had met him personally, So I mean that's you know, that's I look at politics different than some people. You know, you got diehard Republicans, you got diehard Democrats, you got diehard Livers.
Speaker 3: And there's other parties on them. You know, there's a whole list of Now.
Speaker 10: I look at the ones like that that I've personally had shook her hand or met him personally.
Speaker 3: And I had met Mark Robinson.
Speaker 10: He spent some time down in Clumbs County, and I had met him personally.
Speaker 3: So he probably didn't remember my name or know who I was, but he called my name one time. He shook my hand.
Speaker 10: So, I mean, if you feel like you got a close, little personal connection with him, that's kind of way I look at whether you're a Democrat Republican.
Speaker 6: Maybe there's still special power in what comes to us not from a screen, but through in person experience, the way people use to learn most of what they knew about the world. Despite his conservative views, Ethan says he finds Fox News too far to the right at times when it harps too much on gun rights or undocumented immigrants. But then a network like the NBC will annoy him even more in the other direction.
Speaker 10: When you're in the election, it was always negative on Trump, negative on Trump constantly, you know, this, that and the other, and you know, and I kind.
Speaker 3: Of look at it. I'm like, well, everybody's not perfect.
Speaker 10: But when y'all were pro forward Kamala, you were pro Kamala, Like, I can find problems with her too, just as good as you can find with Trump. It's kind of you know, if you don't tell the story, tell it on both sides, tell the bat pros and the cons of both, not just constantly.
Speaker 3: Over and over and over and over again. And that's where I'd get irritated. And not want to listen to it.
Speaker 6: Hey, Tene, what are you thinking so far?
Speaker 2: Well, I gotta say I really like listening to Ethan, you know, and I'm not mad at him. I mean, if you said to me, white North Carolina farmer who votes Republican, I feel like I was going to picture somebody very different, somebody who's maybe not as open or really just has their mind made up. Now I would like to hear Ethan explain why he voted for Mark Robinson, who's a Holocaust denier who called himself a black Nazi for governor. So there is that part, yeah, But putting that aside for a second, just listening to him, I got a feel for where he's at, even though we only heard him for a few minutes.
Speaker 6: You wouldn't vote for the people he votes for, you're saying, But he comes across as a sincere person doing his best to make sense at things, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like based on the information he has, you know what I'm saying. When he talked, it's about the news. He pays attention to. He sounds real familiar to me. He wants the facts, he wants fairness, and when the news tells them something very different, from what he and the people around him think is true. Then it sounds unfair or oversimplified that makes him want to change the channel or tap over to a different source.
Speaker 6: We said this episode was going to be about us, those of us on the receiving end of the news. I talked to an expert who has fascinating insights into our biases as news consumers, including how changes in our society have amplified those biases.
Speaker 4: Often when I'm talking about this to audiences, I'll say, you know, how many of you would say that your main goal as you're engaging with the world is to be accurate in what you perceive. And everyone raises their hand and I'm like, actually, it's not, Actually, you're wrong.
Speaker 6: This is Dana gal Young.
Speaker 4: I'm a professor of communication and political science at the University of Delaware, where I direct the Center for Political Communication.
Speaker 6: Young studies how people process information in connection with our politics. She wrote the recent book Wrong, How media, politics and identity drive our appetite for misinformation. Danna says, when you turn on a cable news and opinion channel or go to a news website, you're bringing along deep desires needs really that go well beyond wanting accurate information, your.
Speaker 4: Goal is not to be accurate, because your goal really is survival. And there are three areas that sort of speak to survival needs, that serve as sort of the underbelly of human survival. They all facilitate action, because in order to survive, you need to act in your own survival interests. So those three needs are comprehension, control, and community.
Speaker 6: As we go about our lives, we want to feel that we know so basically what the hell is going on in our world, and we want to feel some ability to control what happens to us. But Danna says, maybe even more important than comprehension and control is that third C word community.
Speaker 4: And this simply captures the notion that we are social animals who do not exist truly as individuals in a vacuum. We only exist embedded within a social context. And that has to do with how we were able to survive historically. Even here in the US. That notion, even of ardent individualism, is itself, believe it or not, a group norm. We are individualists because everyone around us also prizes that value of individualism, which I think is kind of hilariously ironic.
Speaker 6: So Jung says, as we take in the news, we do so consciously or not, as members of the social groups we identify with, and in a country that's bitterly divided politically, most Americans identify with a political team. We might as well be wearing our team's uniform as we go looking for news.
Speaker 4: That means that when we comprehend the world, we're going to comprehend the world the same way that our team does, and we're going to want to comprehend the world in ways that make our team look good.
Speaker 6: Dana is talking about general human tendencies in part, but it hasn't always been like this, She says, Historical trends in the US in politics and the media have helped to intensify our divisions. These changes have made Americans less open to information we don't like and more vulnerable to miss and disinformation. To start with, she points to the sorting of the political parties starting in the middle of the twentieth century.
Speaker 4: Up until the fifties and sixties, our two major political parties were actually quite mixed in terms of policy positions, in terms of the kinds of people who identified with each, in terms of where those people lived in terms of the religious identification of the people within the parties. And part of the reason that that was the case was because there was this great compromise that was made on the issue of race in the United States.
Speaker 6: That's a nice way of saying the two parties were pretty much in sync white supremacy wise.
Speaker 4: Both the Democratic Party and the Republican Party had members, elite members within them who supported the idea of states rights, who supported the idea of the disempowerment of African American people.
Speaker 6: As millions of black people migrated out of the Jim Crow South, populating northern cities and turning into voters, that put pressure on the Democrats and gave them an opportunity.
Speaker 4: And we ended up with that sort of great racial realignment where the Democratic Party became the party of civil rights and the Republican Party became the party in opposition to that movement.
Speaker 6: Most black people moved from the GOP, the Party of Lincoln, to the Democrats. Most white Southerners and other conservative white people, many of whom had been Democrats, joined the Republicans. Other kinds of sorting followed. Evangelical Christians and people in rural places turned mostly Republican, while secular and city people grew more overwhelmingly.
Speaker 4: Democratic, such that the Republican Party of today is overwhelmingly white, rural, Christian, and culturally conservative, and the Democratic Party today is overwhelmingly racially and ethnically diverse, secular, acts, gnostic, urban, suburban, and culturally and ideologically liberal.
Speaker 6: Research has found that increased homogeneity within a political party serves to crank up the emotional temperature for those on that side.
Speaker 4: There is something primal in us that happens when we look like our team, we live like our team, we live in the same places as our team, we worship like our team. There's something really primal that ignites in us because we have such good group fit. That is what has happened in American politics. And it's happened in a way that is not symmetrical, because, as you may have noticed, as I described it, in the Republican Party, those identity categories are far more homogeneous than they are within the Democratic Party. And so the engine runs fast and furiously on the right in the US right.
Speaker 6: Now is the engine of visceral us against them sentiment. But that's not just a Republican thing. Political scientists have documented an increase in what they call affective polarization.
Speaker 4: And that is simply the extent to which regular people members of the public dislike members of the other political party. That does seem to be pretty equal across the parties. Democrats don't like Republicans, and Republicans don't like Democrats. It's not necessarily that we become more radical on our position on gun ConTroll or abortion. It's more that I just hate people who feel opposite me or which is interesting, so change.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, what Dana Gal is really saying is that news consumers in the US are less open minded than ever, less willing to be persuaded by information conflicts with what we already believe.
Speaker 6: Yes, now stir in the social media algorithms that feed us rage bait and in general are fragmented, often blatantly partisan, us against them media environment. I grabbed a couple clips. This is Sean Hannity of Fox News and Rachel Matdow of MS Now. Notice in each case, the talk about them, They the other side.
Speaker 13: They want you to feel pain, they want it.
Speaker 6: They want you to pay more at the pump, they want your energy bills to be hired.
Speaker 5: The chief threat among them now is not the rioters and the coops, but the slick political professionals who are turning their considerable talents to laundering violently revolutionary claims that America's elections aren't real.
Speaker 2: So when all the talk about so called political polarization in America, there is a tendency to think that the fragmenting of the media into a thousand sources all saying different things, that's the problem. And if we could just go back to a time when everyone watched Walter Cronkite or Peter Jennings, we'd come together again.
Speaker 3: As a nation.
Speaker 6: And I'm just going to guess, partly bring your tone of voice, but also knowing you that you're not really buying it. Professor Kumanika, for one thing, I know you well enough to know you don't believe there was once upon a time when the major media told the American people the unvarnished truth on all the important questions.
Speaker 2: Right when was the media telling people the truth about white supremacy and how pervasive it is, the truth about US history and how brutal it is, or the truth about US behavior around the world. Right in the way America's economic system works, why folks are struggling to get by, And also this idea that Americans used to agree on things, that we really ever had this consensus as a society. Nah, I mean that was more of a consensus maybe among white people, especially white men, middle class and above, who held all the power in the country.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But lots of other people who didn't fit that description and saw a very different reality were just left out of the public conversation for the most part.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And if you kind of are sure you want some receipts on that, I encourage you to go check the other seasons of this podcast.
Speaker 6: But there are other reasons to doubt that somehow reversing the splintering of the media, if that were possible, would help Americans to find common ground on what our problems are and how to solve them. First of all, it seems a lot of us have gotten this somewhat mistaken idea about just how siloed the news media are. This whole idea of the echo chamber. Here's danigal Young again.
Speaker 4: By and large, political scientists and communications scholars have come away from the empirical evidence with the conclusion that the echo chamber is largely a myth in that people are not only seeing content that supports their side.
Speaker 2: So the usual idea of the echo chamber is that people on different sides of the political divide aren't even exposed to voices from the other side.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the idea that you only hear right wing voices on right wing media and likewise on the left.
Speaker 2: But Danagaile is saying, that's not how it works. If you watch ms now we used to be called MSNBC, you see a whole bunch of Donald Trump and his allies and what they have to say about things. And if you watch Fox News or look at his website, you'll see a ton of content about Democrats and the left. Like that's actually like the major thing that they're doing is getting people outraged about what the left is doing.
Speaker 6: So the question is not do opposing perspectives get covered, it's how are they presented. Here's what Danna said.
Speaker 4: You are seeing claims. They're being made by the other side, but they're often present to you, perhaps shared by someone who's on your side, right who says, look at how awful these people are. This is the kind of thing that they're saying over on that other network. Here is what they're saying, and it is a moral violation. It's a violation of our moral order.
Speaker 6: Dana brought up an example, remember when Katanji Brown Jackson was being confirmed for the Supreme Court in twenty twenty two. In your understanding, what does critical race theory mean?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 9: Senator? My understanding is that, well, I remember Republican senators on the committee asked her a bunch of questions about her views on CRT, which was like the conservative rage issue at the time, and Ted Cruz, the senator from Texas, asked her about an anti racism book This suggested babies can be taught to be racist.
Speaker 4: Do you agree with this book that is being taught with kids that the babies are racist?
Speaker 2: So he had a black nominee for the court, and lots of the questions were about her views on race.
Speaker 6: To Danagal's point about the echo Chamber issue, MSNBC as it was called at the time, the heavily pro democratic, anti Republican cable channel, gave these exchanges a lot of attention. I mean, there's no question that Ted Cruz figured prominently on the so called you know, left leaning channel, along with analysis like this from a democratic political strategist.
Speaker 13: This is about her being a black woman, basically casting her as a radical, as a black radical who is out to get white people. I mean, quite frankly, it looked like I saw Ted Cruz commit a hate crime in that hearing.
Speaker 6: Gim Meanwhile, over on Fox News, Sean Hannity brought Cruise onto his show that evening.
Speaker 2: Ted Cruise was with a senator.
Speaker 6: And invited him to talk some more about his grilling of the judge.
Speaker 4: And when it came to critical race theory, she didn't want to answer the question.
Speaker 2: So it's an interesting clarification that Dana is making. Right. She's saying, no matter how much you're in your news bubble, you're still hearing voices and ideas from the other side, maybe a lot, but that doesn't really change the fact that people are getting wildly different views of the world if they're watching Fox News versus MS. Now, whether you call them echo chambers or not, really it just highlights how crucial framing and analysis are in presenting what's happening out there.
Speaker 6: There's another common idea that people are strongly influenced by the media they consume, especially if it's news that we think of as strongly biased. That whole My uncle Ned's right winger because he watches Fox News idea.
Speaker 2: But it's more complicated than that. Did Fox News turn your uncle into a right winger? Or did Uncle Ned turn the Fox because he already had right wing views?
Speaker 6: This whole discussion can almost make you wane if it even matters what the media reports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean there's another reason to wonder about that. It has to do with our hobbled, corrupt system of government. There was a study in twenty fourteen by scholars at Princeton Northwestern.
Speaker 6: Twenty fourteen, so back when I think, well, let's say, when more Americans felt reasonably secure that the US had a functioning democracy.
Speaker 2: Right before the Trump administration launched this newest assault on democratic norms. It was before the Congress basically newted itself and let the president decide everything. But even then, this study found that there was almost no relationship between what American citizens wanted according to opinion polls, and the policies we get from our government. Large majorities favor higher taxes on rich people, more gun safety laws, stronger action on the climate crisis. And that's just listening a few things a year after year, our representative government doesn't deliver what the people want.
Speaker 6: We did a whole series season four, The Land That Never Has Been Yet, about the ways America's democratic system of government was designed from the start to be not too democratic and to stemy the will of the majority of the people.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not all media, but can't let the media off the hook. Journalism is a core mechanism of a functioning democracy, right. The real problems with the way our media system carries out this crucial role. Some of those problems are structural. We'll have a lot more to say about that change.
Speaker 6: When I told people we were working on a season on the news media and the country's information crisis, some people said, oh, so it's going to be about AI and how we can't trust what we see and hear anymore, you know, think AI photos and videos especially. Other people said, oh, so it'll be about the Trumpian attack on news companies in the First Amendment.
Speaker 2: And I mean, look, all that stuff is wild, no doubt about it. But at the same time, I don't think anybody thinks this all started with AI, right, I think it goes back a little further than that. So those things will definitely come up. We're going much deeper into the structures and forces that have shaped the American news media for a much longer.
Speaker 6: Time, and it can all seem pretty daunting. But I don't know about you. I'm not ready to throw up my hands and say we're doomed. The news is just a way to amuse ourselves, and it can never change anything because the system's rigged and anyway people are hopelessly dug in and won't listen to facts they don't like. There are so many examples where journalism has made a difference and is making a difference. Information comes out and shifts public opinion, leading to change that affects people's lives.
Speaker 2: Look, yo, let me tell you something. As somebody who literally like, this is what my degree, this is my job. Nobody gets mad or at journalism in the media in me right. But at the same time, most of what I know about the world comes from journalism, you know what I mean? When I see ice kidnap somebody, that's because a journalist reported on it. When I know that like it's about to snow, or that there was an earthquake, it's because you know, I didn't see it. Myself usually, and I think, as angry as we are, the end of the day is we have to have journalism because we have to know what's going on in the world just to live our everyday personal lives. If we're fired up, a person who's fired up about social justice or feels like something wrong, chances are everything that you know that's getting you angry is something you learned because of some kind of journalism or media. So I think we can be infuriated about it, but we actually have to solve this problem.
Speaker 6: Here's a taste of what's to come here in season.
Speaker 4: Eight with local county commission races.
Speaker 5: Here I tried like to dig in to find out where people stood, because I'm not going to vote if I can't get the information.
Speaker 6: Now, I recognize sadly that the worst and press corps is all too often the praetorian guard of the left.
Speaker 13: No wonder people hate the media depends what one means by left wing.
Speaker 6: You know, I mean, wait a minute.
Speaker 2: If you even address the issues of climate change and environmental destruction, that signifies a strong left leaning philosophy.
Speaker 13: One thing that can be heard for us to imagine is that a lot of news you would actually get in church.
Speaker 11: The early founders, they truly believe that democracy was impossible without a free press and a press that people could actually access.
Speaker 13: So today we rededicate a part of the airwaves which belong to all the people.
Speaker 8: When you're suddenly fighting with thirty channels instead of just two for eyeballs, you start to get the rise of political entertainment.
Speaker 6: You're doing theater when you should be doing debate, which would be great. No, it's not honest.
Speaker 4: The new report is raising alarms about the state of American democracy.
Speaker 2: I wrote a piece before the elections saying, if Trump wins, blamed the New York Times, and I meant it.
Speaker 6: And eventually we'll wrestle with what to do about it. All. The News was created and produced by me John Beewin, with chenjer Ei Kumanika and story editor Diane Hodson. Assistant producer Arlene a Revolo. Fact checking by Anna Pujoel Mazzini. Music by Brian Blade and The Fellowship Band, Michelle Osis, Alex Weston, James Nathan Jones, and Jason Hill. Music consulting by Joe Augustine of Narrative Music. You can find transcripts at our website Scene on Radio dot org. The show is distributed by our friends at PRX. Scene on Radio comes to you from the Keenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University