Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's envy just hilarious, showing me the God we are the Breakfast Club. Law On La Rosa is here and we got a special guest in the building. We have Sherry Shephard.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Hey y'all, are you feeling I'm so glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Lauren.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 3: My admiration for you. It's like my baby hair that is growing. It just grows every day for you. You follow me back on Instagram. I cried, oh are you serious, Like not.
Speaker 4: Like ugly cry, but I was just I called John and I was like, she just followed me back on Instagram, Like, oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Really do admire you. You like an intelligence sister, and you like you boss mode. I love that. Thank you like little brown girls look at you and go I want to be like you.
Speaker 5: Somebody just told her that. Somebody just told her that, like like literally three minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Well, God is trying to tell you something. I hear you better receive it. Won't nobody ever do that to me. I never get it, Like it was on my way to tell you for me.
Speaker 4: I remember your trends, not the trance but when you first stepped into the role on the show, right, and it was a lot going on and a lot said it, but you handled it really gracefully.
Speaker 3: When she.
Speaker 4: Look at you, you know you have one support of you.
Speaker 3: But there was a lot of conversation that was happening. But the way that you handled it out, I thought was you handled it very well. Thank you. You know this season life is too short. You got you got to know what energy you're walking in and create your own energy. That's how it works. And it worked out what set what life?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Where in your life did you learn that? Because it was loud? Yeah, but but I think from being on the view, that's why I learned how to get the criticism because I learned, you know, Joy Bayhart said, when you you know, when you have this kind of platform, when you open up your mouth, half the world is going to hate you. So you know, so you stopped trying to chase validation because I would go on this site. It was a site called I Hate Talk Shows, and I would going there to see what they said about me, and then they would say, oh, Sheerry's doing this. She didn't even mention this, So I would mention it the next time they go. Did you see how conceited she was when she mentioned this, you can't win? So I don't is I stopped reading all that stuff? They don't care about you, and so I stopped. But what I realized is nobody's sending me money to take care of my son. Nobody is offering to help me when I'm going through it. Nobody. You got your diehards that will pray for you. So why am I listening to all this is chatter from people who probably when they come at you on social media, they want to do what you're doing. They just don't want to put in that work. That's what Kevin Hart says, and it's so true.
Speaker 1: Have you heard that from Laura all right?
Speaker 3: Because you never said that to me, Charlamage, I never knew that was your You knew a lot of talk yet, but you never said that.
Speaker 1: But I'm the same way. I'm stop reading the comments, Like why don't I don't.
Speaker 3: Go looking for the comments? But no, I don't, But no, I do not. But every now and then you want to see what people.
Speaker 4: But I also like, for what I do, I have to kind of know what people are talking about. Why what are angles to care? How we dive in and what I talk at them. But it's hard.
Speaker 3: Now you just have to be discerning because I read my comments because sometimes people are very they have really good critique. Some people are commenting share you talk a mile a minute. I can't understand what you're saying. So I learned to slow down. Yes, then those people who go, you ain't cute, you ain't got no hips, you ain't got no or you're gonna you know, I don't pay attention to that because you look at it for what it is. You got to have your own self for it. So you do when it's just discern what is edifying, what is going to help you. The other stuff you throw out, but it means nothing, even.
Speaker 4: Your topics on your show, because that was another thing as well too, Like people were upset when you talked about Meg the stallion on the carpet and being you know, nude or whatever you called her right, and people respond to that and when that happens, Yeah, I changed.
Speaker 3: You for that. When I said that about Meg, I was ready for the backlash. But I am I'm a mum, I'm a woman. I mentor girls, and I just go at some point we have a responsibility. We have to speak up. And I love meg da Stallion. I love it, but I think that women are going too far and sometimes we forget that there are people who are watching us and they can't do what we do. They don't have security. They can't walk around and say I want to do the same thing. So we also we are our brother's keeper. To who much is given, much is required. So I knew I was gonna backlash. They told me, you know you're gonna get and I said, but no, no, I got to stand up. I got this platform, and it's really important that I say it. And if you listen to the context of what I said, you know I did love everything. People look at you because you have a degree. You went and graduated. You didn't just let it go. So you inspire girls to want to go to college. But also over here you inspire girls who want to do this. And I named other women who do it too, so you know, you just got to be I got this platform for a reason, know what it is, and I try to use it wisely.
Speaker 1: People should listen to the elders. What happened to that we used.
Speaker 3: To listen too. They don't do that now.
Speaker 4: They're old, you know, the push back at you, like, I know you're intentional with the topics that you choose when you get pushbacks like oh, this is an age thing. It's because you're older. She don't understand. She actly, she didn't have her day like right, those type of things.
Speaker 3: That I have a lot of grace. I know. You know there were things that we did when we were young, and you know and I do. But also you know what the assignment is. There's an assignment on your life. There's an assignment that you've been given and you got to carry it out. And it's just stuff that comes with this. With this, you know, position that you're in, it is gonna come. You can't escape it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So just before we get into straw.
Speaker 3: Before we're getting a straw.
Speaker 2: When you came in there today, you said your son just texted you and said, mom, I have off of school today and I have nothing to do. That's right, And he's twenty years old.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's not what she said. She had part that's always get through what she really said.
Speaker 2: But then you said that you're and also said he wants to smoke. He wants to smoke some marijuana.
Speaker 3: So yes, because that's what all everybody talks about at school, you know, they talk about that, and so he that's one of his things. He came. I was doing my podcast with Kim Whidley, two Funny Momas. He came. He was like, I want to talk to you, and that's what he was going to the basketball center and he said, you know, when can I get hi?
Speaker 2: First of all, it's amazing that he came to you and feel comfortable again, Yeah, what did you tell him?
Speaker 3: But he comes to me and I don't know nothing, Like that's the problem. And he was just like I'm a single mom. He was like, you know, I want to when can I do this? And I was sitting here praying and speaking in tongues, and I said, when you twenty four? He asked me that when he was like nineteen or eighteen. That's just the number that came to my head, envy saying a mother like it's too much, Like I still look at my son as like my baby, a fourteen year old. So when he came and was asking these questions about where, you know, when can you go and see you know, women dancing and stuff, And when I didn't know what Yes, so I said twenty four. That's just the number. But it came to my head. So he you know, so he my my the person who does my hair, theo. He has locks in his hair. So when my son saw him, he said he immediately said do you get high and stereotyping. But here's what happened. They looked at him. It was like yeah, But so I said, well, I wanted to have the experience of I said, well, maybe if they put the medicine and make you go to the bathroom, the diarrhea medicine in the brownie. That way, when he does it, he'll, you know, just have diarrhea. They don't want to do it again. That's what everybody says, like you give him so much liquor that they get sick.
Speaker 5: No, give him some sativa, some high grade sativa.
Speaker 3: And what is that?
Speaker 5: What if the kind that induces panic attacks and makes him.
Speaker 1: That will make him not want to do it again. Not the diarrhea.
Speaker 3: But I got to go to sleep wanting and my son gonna smother me, and I don't want him to have a pan. I just wanted to diarrhea.
Speaker 2: That No, nothing, he'll fly You see him on Madison avenue trying to fly for cars or something. Don't do that.
Speaker 5: The panic attackers was gonna make him not want to do it. That promise you okay, I want to do that?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, m be saying no, Lauren saying no, should do it. When I when I first got hot, I think I was like eighteen seventeen.
Speaker 1: He got to wait till twenty four, because that's the look.
Speaker 3: I am a single mom. This is hard. You don't understand. It's not a man. This is where I get mad when I need some men to come in and help me because I don't know what to what to say to him. I don't get high. So when he came to me and was saying that, I was just like, I didn't know what to say. The judgment. I don't like Charlotte Magne. That's what I was saying to you.
Speaker 2: Well, when he's twenty four, me and uncle Charlotte take him to a landa strip club magic.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're handle that part.
Speaker 3: I'm just can y'all let him intern with y'all then and do what you will. I won't even look. I'll just close my eyes.
Speaker 5: But you would never say that a bad boy record, wowser, wowser, Like everybody have my suoena court.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, So single mother life for you? Like what other things are you figuring out on your own? Are you single mom? Like there's no communication anymore with your son's father or well, I mean, you know, we communicate with y'all. We don't as much because he turned eighteen. Like, I don't have to. I don't have to pay child support anymore. I don't have to. I don't add the court paper set. I have to tell you everything that's going on with school. I don't have to do that. Now. It's up to you to call him to check on him. That's not my that's not my thing. I've made you look good in his eyes. Now it's up to you to keep that going. That's not on me. I've never talked about his father badly in front of him. Now. When Jeffrey left the room, that was a different conversation. It's a lot going on at one point. Yeah, so but you know it's so this is on you.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: It's on you to talk to your dad. I'm not in that.
Speaker 4: What things do you deal with on your own with your son that you're like, man.
Speaker 3: All of that trying to teach him how to be a man. I don't know how to be a man because I'm not a man. I don't espouse that belief of you know, I can be everything for you. You don't need no daddy. You don't know you need a man in your life. A boy needs a man, especially in this day and age, A young black boy needs a black man because men what they do to my son because I'm not allowed to say his name, he told me don't talk about him. But what they do to my son is they say, look God, look me in the eye, shake my hand, you know, give me your deepest voice when you talk to me. I don't know how to say that. What he gets from me now is he's like you always, like you keep nagging because I feel like I only got maybe twelve minutes to give him the rest of life's lessons. And he's like, you told me already. And so I think with mothers and boys, as they get older, there's a frustration. That's why they keep wanting to pull away. They're longing from that male energy. So when he's around, when he's around my glam team, he likes being with them because they're just men, are you dating? And I'm single. I'm single, so I'm just I'm out here, I'm open.
Speaker 1: I was crazy.
Speaker 3: I never got my DM, so I don't. I really don't go on my dms because the last time it was somebody didn't have no finger, so it was missing the third digit. So I don't what happened. Let me tell you why not something that's a deal breaker when you're missing digits. I need, I need you to have a finger, no fingers, because it was in it. I went to his uh, I went to his profile, and I looked and he didn't have no finger, so which finger? Though he was a third finger? Not that you don't know if you really need your third finger til you got your third finger.
Speaker 5: What if this man was good looking, it was had a nice career, was a great man, he was going to be the love of your life and you could because you don't got a finger.
Speaker 3: You don't have a finger. That's just that's a big deal, not having a finger, because you need all ten of your fingers. I'm just saying, if you want to caress my neck and you ain't got that finger, you feel I feel emptiness. But on one hand, on it I didn't you know. I guess I saw the finger was missing Lauren. I just didn't stay. But it does that you get in this season. It's it's different now. Now I'm not looking at potential. When I was in my twenties, it was about, oh he got he got potential. I don't look at potentially. You have to have be living in your You have to be living your dream. It has to be your reality. You have to be a certain financial and a financial place because I'm not here trying to help you move forward. So it just changes. If I bring you into my space, you can't be intimidated. You can't be like looking at it around, going well, there's nothing I can do. So it just changes a little bit.
Speaker 2: So how was shooting straw I know you loved it? Four days shooting your Brain?
Speaker 3: No, I was six days.
Speaker 2: He was six days.
Speaker 3: She was doing Fight Night at the same time, and Tianna was also doing a movie at the same time. Look, I was the only one I had time, so mine was six days. I had I had a ball. It was a different experience step into the Tyler Perry world breaking death because I'm used to, you know, doing a movie and it'll take weeks to do. You know, I'm on location for a number of weeks. So even when Tyler had asked me and I wasn't available, I said, we I'm trying to work it out. How many weeks do you need me? He said, I don't need you for I need you for five days. And I had never heard that before because it was I was one of the stars of the movie. But with Tyler, he's got a world that he lives in. He's really he knows what he wants. He has a lot of cameras covering you. So when you go to a movie they do a master shot, you know, you go back and you wait till they turn it around and do a single shot. Then they got to turn those cameras around and do the other shot. Then they got to get a wide shot, then they got to get a close up, and you're you're doing maybe three pages in a whole day. Tyler does not do that. He has a ton of cameras in and they they're catching shots. So when I'm looking at the movie, they caught shot. To me, I didn't even realize because it was so many cameras. So he can do ten or twelve pages in a day. But he knows what he wants and he gets it done.
Speaker 1: And Tyler was a man of his word.
Speaker 5: Because I remember y'all just had to be like maybe four or five months ago, you was.
Speaker 1: Asking him to put you in.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it was a specific movie, or was it why did I get married, or I just remember you asking him to be in something.
Speaker 3: I ask everybody who comes if they could put me on something, he can put you in, and he put me in the movie. He called me, he said I have this part and I want you to do it. And it conflicted with the talk show. You can't really take off, but they moved and around. I said, I don't care who sits in the chair. I need to do this movie. And they we ended my show a week early so I could go and do it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: But when I let me tell you something about Tyler Perry. He takes care of you. Now everybody talks about the money he pays you. Yes, But in terms of I walked into my trailer, you have to negotiate your trailer size. From the front of everything is negotiation, and I always negotiate, you know, I get the less one less of what the star gets. So I get a big trailer, but he I walked in my trailer and I said, it is Brad Pitt doing the movie to you. I walked in my trailer. It was a double staircase. I had a kitchen. I had an office I had I had a full kitchen with I tried to I was like, if I could take this refrigerator. It was a full size refrigerator. It was a bedroom. It was a walk in closet. It was I had a living room, a family room, reclined. I was like, I cried, I've never had in my wildest dreams, I never imagine said something like that. You know where he put me up at, where I stayed at night. It was just it was unbelievable. It was unbelievable. When I tell you, I mean even on my show. He came and we did a giveaway show where Tyler Perry came in and he just gave stuff away. He paid the mortgage off for one of our guests. He gave a colleague of mine who's a comic who had a stroke, Bonehampton. He was a Christian comic. Now he's in a wheelchair. He gave him one hundred thousand dollars so he could figure out. So he had a cushion to figure out what he wanted to do. I mean he gave, he just gave away. It was really wonderful what he did. Did that public le Yes, we did it on my show. Why are you thinking you need one hundred thousand dollars show?
Speaker 1: No, I just wouldn't want nobody to know that because everybody be asking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the down side.
Speaker 1: But the beauty about Tyler he had no problem saying no.
Speaker 3: He says, no, that's right because when I had to pitch it to him, I would say to him, we had this, and he goes, tell me what you're talking about. No, Like, when you come to Tyler, it has to be very specific. It has to be very well thought out, and you have to have research. Because he says, okay, so if I do this, then what about this? How are they going to pay this? And I said, I don't know. I'm just coming to you asking for the money. I don't know all that. He goes, well, when you know what, then you call me back. So he's you have to be on your business.
Speaker 1: Can you speak about that real quick?
Speaker 5: You're how important is it to actually say what it is you mean, because.
Speaker 1: We live in a generation with these kids be like, well you know what I meant to say?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I meant to say. I think that we're in the age of communication is harder for because we're in the social media age where you swipe and swiping, so you're putting in initials for you know, laugh out loud lol, So people you know you're not saying what you mean. And I think it's a big problem. I don't know how to fix it because I keep trying to talk to my nieces and nephews and say, tell me what you're saying. Don't think I know what you're saying. I don't know if it's a life lesson that they have to go through because I had to go through to get it. Whoopie was very hard on me on the view, tell me what you're saying, and I had to figure out and articulate so that came. That was hard for me. What was that like having Whoopy be like, yoh, tell me what you're saying. Oh, she was hard on me. Whoopy was very, very hard, but she loved me and she didn't want to see me go through a lot of stuff which has served me well doing having my own show and dealing with criticism, being able to say no, I say what I mean on my show. But I'm grown, you know. I think that's why I got the success at this age, you know, because I know how to stand up for myself. I know how to say no, I know how to say yes. I know what I am bringing to the show and what I want to see. So it's you know, sometimes you just have to go through life. You got to fall, and you gotta get You got to learn to get back up. You gotta fall, you gotta learn to get back up.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure whoop, you saw the greatness in you. Like a lot of times, people see things in you that you may not see seeing yourself.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, yeah, maybe she did. I would hope that. Yeah, yeah, I know we came a long way saying we came a long way from when you call me to Tasmanian devil, mister Charlemagne to God.
Speaker 2: That's remember remember, And I don't know if you heard earlier when you started talking about yourself, he was like, damn as soon as you said that. I don't know if you if you heard it, but you know, he still took a little shot at you earlier today.
Speaker 1: What were talking about? Exactly what is he talking about?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I went envy that right. What do you say?
Speaker 2: Watch him?
Speaker 1: You got to watch.
Speaker 2: Got to watch him. So I want to congratulations you were pregnant April first.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you every celebrity confusing me with somebody.
Speaker 1: Do you'll want to stop this?
Speaker 3: I think I am. That's my calling card. I'm not getting pregnant.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, just that you're a man.
Speaker 2: You said it was a joe quickly because you said you didn't want to manifest that I did.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to. Yeah, because I found out I'm stelling perry menopause. So I still can get pregnant. And when the doctor told me that, I was like, no, they cannot be because at this age. Here's the thing, men don't want to hear. And at this age, they don't want to hear that you've been celibate for thirty years. That's not nothing. If you and your twenties, men like to hear that, oh you a virgin, Oh that is good. But when you dog onto your fifties and you're like, I've been celibate for the last twenty five years, waiting on the right one. A man will run, will run as fast as he can, and a man want here. I can't get pregnant. You can't get pregnant. Oh shoot. So when they told me that, I was just like, Okay, this, this don't make no sense. So that was my April Fool's joke, and everybody believed it. But I cut it short because I don't want to manifest that kind of thing. If I told y'all I was pregnant right now, if you had to report that, y'all would be laughing at me, wouldn't. Why I can't at this age?
Speaker 1: Janet jackcident and you got why not?
Speaker 3: Jennet Jackson is yeah, but no, And I love Janet and Janet No, Janet's one year older than man. She was fifty fifty five. No, I believe I don't want to be dealing with you. I'm not dealing with a two year old. At this sage. You have to have the energy and the stamina and the patience you have to go through when your child goes mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, bo why but why but why? When they have temper tantrums, because they can't articulate. I don't have that kind of energy. At nine o'clock, I'm winding down.
Speaker 1: Well, I say, you look good. I'll be honest with you. I didn't even know you was for detail. I looked it up just now.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I only looked it up because.
Speaker 3: I said that. And I earn every one of these stripes absolutely.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I said it. Yesterday went to Rodger was here.
Speaker 5: Why would you want a young girl when black women age like this?
Speaker 1: It don't make no sense to me.
Speaker 3: I think though, a lot of younger men they do come to me because they do want an older, seasoned woman, because I think we know what we want. You know, we don't take a lot of mess. We're very we're very We're very articulate about what we want. We are accomplished. And I think a younger a lot of younger men like that. But I don't see there are women that like younger men. I like a man my age. I like a man that is seasoned. We want the same things in life. He's healthy, we can talk about things. If I say something, he knows who I'm talking about. That's right, Like my my hair got THEO every time we talk about stuff. He like, who is that? I said, I said, somebody doing a tour. They're doing a tour. It's El DeBarge, it's baby face, he said, who.
Speaker 2: El de Barge?
Speaker 3: He? Who is eld the bars. I need you to know who these people are and what they've done.
Speaker 5: And I want older men to like older women because we see what happens.
Speaker 3: And they get in trouble. That's the problem. But but I understand young young people bringing energy. They bring an energy into your life. I like, like, I would like to have a daughter so I could do a TikTok. I want to do a TikTok. That's how I want to We do TikTok together. Because my son won't do a TikTok for me, to save his life. We do a TikTok, he just walk out the frame. He just walk out the camera. Boys is different, you know, That's why I want a daughter. Like I was with Kadeen Devou's wife, Kadeen and like, she looks like she could be my daughter. Like I look like the cool sexy mom next to her, and I'm like, we look we look good together. A TikTok No, but we did. We was dancing together. We got we was twerking together. We got pictures. It looks so good, y do you know? And I'm mentored than I dudes, So that's why, so we can do what we do our tiktoks. They take me to boots on the ground. They told me that I know that to me a challenge I noticed to men't t ugh. They're keeping you a little safe though.
Speaker 4: They teach you like the things you should know at your age, like younger TikTok friendly stuff.
Speaker 1: I've been looking at it though.
Speaker 6: Some of that stuff to my knees, I'm like, mm hmm, seen the pop the pussy for a good chown?
Speaker 3: No, I ain't seen. No what that doesn't come up in my algorithm.
Speaker 1: That's gonna show you. It's going to show you what is popped.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Now you've been you've been very open about your health and your finances.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Why are you so open? Because most people are kind of keep it to themselves. Maybe they'll feel embarrassed. But you've been open, You've been discussed, you've been talking about it.
Speaker 3: Why Because I think that a lot of people are going through health challenges like if you don't if you don't have your health together, you're not able to fulfill the purpose that you've been put here for and just do basic step. How do you want how do you want to live ten? What do you want your life to look like ten years from now, twenty years from now? Well, it's that starts today. So I'm really open about showing that I go to the gym. I get up at four thirty in the morning, four times a week to go to the gym. You know, however you want to feel, you got to start today, and I want people to know it's not over. Like you can start and go to that gym and work out, start eating healthy. You're able to accomplish so much more. Your outlook on life changes, your confidence changes. So I'm just really big and diabetes is really big in our community, and I'm a Type two diabetic. So I want people to know that life is not over because you're diabetic, but it can start and it can be amazingly wonderful. So I tell people, don't pray that the diabetes goes away. When they say I'm a pray for you that to go, No, don't pray that because having diabetes has saved my life. Having diabetes makes me look at everything that I put in my mouth. That sounding nastiesting. I just realized that. But it really makes me look at everything. Wow, it makes me look at everything that I do, that I eat. It makes me go to the gym. I look at my son and I go, he still needs me. So I need to do things different. So that's why I'm so open about it. I really am.
Speaker 1: And they changing everything at the doctor now.
Speaker 6: Like I went to the doctor the other day and they told me that I'm a five. Wait seven, you right on the cut. Youre bet and they come back in six months, and I'm like, you need to start walking more.
Speaker 1: I'm crazy.
Speaker 3: You need to watch what you eat. You eating starches, yeah you cut off? Oh you predisposed, Yeah, but a lot. You know, you can change that because you're over here on this side. You can modify stuff that you're eat because wen't you coming over coming over to my side? That stuff that you just can't have, like you know, chocolate chip cookies I'm addicted to. I had to stop that. I had I drink my tea with no sugar. I'm learning, I know, but I have to do it because otherwise my my gluecoast level goes up, so you then you wear a patch so you could see you know what your blood gluecoast level. That's what that is. What do you think is just a white thing you gonna have? Ring make me say you got to have everything you thought market? It is my glucoas, my continuous glue cooast monitor for my freely break. Haven't you see my diabetic commercials? We'll be skating around Ring Mark.
Speaker 5: You know, I did want to ask you, did me Along ever take you up on your conversation to come on your show? I guess that's who you was alluding to what they said alluding to when they said she rolled up on you.
Speaker 3: When I said unnamed celebrity, it rolled up a reporter that a source had told me that it was Along. Yes, did Neolong take me up? Because I didn't say her name, but yes, it was Along. You know if here's the thing, I don't know who Na Along had me confused with? And what I appreciate, Lauren, this is why I love you. You did your research, you did your homework, and you pulled up a clip. The only time I've ever talked about Na Along is when she went through it with her partner who it was infidelity, and I supported her and that she should she deserves to have a good man to be with her. And you pulled up that clip, so thank you for that. You handle it very well. So I have no idea. I think Neilon maybe confused.
Speaker 1: Me with someone not a lot of black women on TV, so it's not I have.
Speaker 3: No idea who she thought was shading her, but it was not me. I have no beef with Nie Along. I'm a fan of hers with grown women. We're both the same age, so like we can discuss it. That's why I invited her on my show, you know, And a lot of people said, well, why would you say something like that publicly? Well, number one, I did, never said her name. There was a lot of women that attended the Othello premiere, and number two I do. I'm a stand up comic, so everything that happens in my life is material for me and my stage. My comedy stage is the talk show. So I got on stage and I just talked about it, and I said, you know, it was a fun it was this happened. You wanted to know why I went to the bathroom, because I said, I went to the bathroom and had a meeting in the ladies room. That was actually a joke with you know, because Climax. This is why I don't give a younger man. It was climax meeting in the ladies room. I'll be back, and she says, don't. She said, don't test me because I might slap you. Remember, you know a DJ god don't know anybody, And so I did. I said the joke. Norman Baker, who's ahead of our hot topics. He was like, that's funny. Everybody got it, and you over here go. I don't understand why she went to the was waiting in the bathroom. You and jes So that's what that was. That was a joke. But yeah, but I don't have any beef. I don't I don't like to tear down people. But I honestly was was just confused. And I also don't like when you when you touch me and you pull at me, I don't like that, like grabbed me and spun me around. And here's the thing, I'm a really nice yeah like you.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what you mean?
Speaker 2: I hate him? You know you shof by the way.
Speaker 3: Never you know, but now I can't un see it. This is why I tell women stop getting with stand up, because you got to sit in bed and they go over the same joke and punchline over and over, and you got to hear that all night long. Charlamagne your wife, God, bless her, Lord, open up doors for her, bless her. Just bless her father, God.
Speaker 2: It could be your darkest moment. You could be crying. He's not gonna be sympathetic.
Speaker 1: No, I am sympathetic. I just wanted to bring some joy.
Speaker 3: That's a lot. No, But it's like, but when people when people tugget you, when they want to picture and they tugget you, it's like, so I'm still I think people, I'm so nice, but you can't confuse that. I am a Chicago girl. So when that happens, you know, then I go there. But you know, I'm cool. I'm so cool. It's done. If Nilon would love to come on my show, I would love. I'm a fan, we're both actresses. I would love to talk to her and just clear it up. That's such a That's why these beefs that come on social media like it's easily cleared up.
Speaker 5: So I would love suck and this young girl behavior like I wonder, because she's been around for so long, what could she think you her tone, I don't.
Speaker 3: Think it's younger behavior, charlamage. Sometimes you don't see a person, you know, sometimes these things fester. This is what Woopy told me, and this is why I'm very nice. On my talk show. She said, we were about to do a story. I wanted to do a story on the view about a certain rapper. The baby mama was asking for more money. Then something happened bad and I wanted to blame it on this this rapper. And I said, I want to talk about this, and Whoopy said, we're not going to talk about it. And I said, no, no, no, we got this platform and I'm gonna let people know. And she said no. So Barbara Walter said, if Whoope's not going to talk about it, we're not going to talk about it. And I went into a whoopees room and I said, why would you kill this story? It's very interesting. Everybody knows the rapper. And she said, let me tell you something to Sharry. She said, celebrities have long memories. And you know this, y'all know this. They have long memories. You have a career beyond the show and she said, and what will happen is you might go to a club encounter this rapper. You are black women, we'd at least protect it. And if they get mad at you want to do something, ain't nobody gonna do nothing. Now if Elizabeth hasseback goes to the club because she didn't say something and he does anything, everybody gonna be calling the police.
Speaker 1: He ain't even gonna do nothing to.
Speaker 3: Won't even do nothing to it. She said, you always had to keep that in mind. And she said, and you want to work beyond this show, because you're not gonna be here for long. You're gonna be working. And these and celebrities have very long memories, and you're in the business and your career is important. And I just always remember that. And I'm a kind person. So when I come at stories, Lauren always go is it edifying? I would rather you be laughing with me, going that girl is talking about me today. That is so funny what she says, Rather than I'm too old to be in the club and somebody comes up to me goes, my name is Thunn Thun, And I don't you know I heard what you said. It ain't gonna be I'm not gonna be having that, and you bet not. First of all, I'm fifty, I don't even know who you are. I don't remember what I said. And wait, does she just slap me? I don't be fighting no more like that. So you know, it's like life is too short. I want to put out good energy on my show. I want you to feel good. I want you to know that when you come to the show is a safe space. If you don't want to talk about something, there's a ton of other stuff we can talk about. If you want the shady stuff, it's a bunch of blogs you can go to. And I think that people, even though they like that, they turn on you quick. They turn on you quick when you're always giving out bad stuff and talking about people. I think I have more fans that will stick with me if I go through something then not. So that's just the way I operate, and it has worked.
Speaker 1: I feel like God is talking through Did you.
Speaker 3: Just say that three minutes ago?
Speaker 4: No, he just always talking to me. Yes, We've had a lot of conversations this weekend. Yesterday aways yeah, really, yes, I mean I literally was recording my podcast The Latest Who Learned the Roads? But before you came in here.
Speaker 3: And on my podcasts, I was talking about how I talked to guy yesterday and was like, look, I hear you. I get it. I know what I need to do to doll back and you know, focus and whatever whatever, And then you come in here. You're literally it sounds better coming from you, though you look a lot better. So when you're dealing with you understand. But there are people who do that. I just think that you have to go You're going to have to answer to what you put out in the world, right and sometimes stuff your parents even say that. Sometimes stuff you can say it, but do you need to say it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: That's not for everybody. I'm I'm not judging anybody. There are blogs that I go to because I just got to know what's going on, and they give their opinion and I figure out how I'm going to form my opinion. But in a different way. For me, I'm like, it's going to edify you? Is it going to add to your life? If it's not, then let's go to another one. But a lot of this stuff doesn't add to my life. Like a lot of this stuff is like their topics. There's conversation and then we move on. So where's that balance? Well, what's your intention and what is your heart when you're doing it? Like, you know, I got Didy jokes too. Those I do on stage, I'm not gonna do him on the talk show. So you know, I just think, what what is your intention when you're saying it? So I don't know if you're talking about the fact that you want to do negative stuff. You got to report the.
Speaker 4: News, That's what I'm saying. Like, sometimes you got to touch on things that people are not happy touching on.
Speaker 3: But there are people who are intentionally mean about stuff. There are people intentionally trying to take down folks. So if you're not like that, but you have to report on the news. I don't have to do that a man.
Speaker 5: If you hear about a man nothing and then the man taking the nuting and rubbing it on his nipple, YEA heard that.
Speaker 3: The sperm shake. But but she's covering a trial. They are trying to show character. They're trying so you have to tell us what's going on. That is what they discuss in the courtroom. Yes it's gross, but that's what they talked about. They put him on the witness stand, so you're just you're just telling that and giving your opinion. This ain't nothing you said. Oh this is what I heard. This is actual fact. If he was on the he was on the witness stand, so you know, yes it was. I was like, that's disgusting. But I never looked at you like, oh, Lauren, why are you saying that the news? But I mean, like even relationships stuff like the big celebrity breakups and the divorces and the you I think you have to you know, you you have to report that. I try to do it too, like the way I come from with divorces. I'm upset because I looked at you know, there's I'm sad because they got divorced, and then I have some jokes in there. I'm sad they got divorced. But is he available now?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Do you mind if I got to bring some lightness to it? Gotcha? But it is your job to report what is going on. Otherwise we wouldn't know what.
Speaker 2: She hasn't been so much. I get the calls, Yeah, we did, We do numerous times.
Speaker 3: Biggest conversation right now when breakups is CARDI b offset. So when we're covering those things, it's very temperamental for the people that are going through and I try to understand that.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, it's like these things are put out there. Cardi's on spaces talking about it, there's tweets, there's all these things. So the balance sometimes and.
Speaker 3: You're going to get it. You are going to get it. I've seen people who come on the show who don't want to know. Who was the one that didn't want to talk to Jess when she was six? He read I'm like, you know, and she's very, very sensitive, and she had to say numerous times, I just have to report it. I'm gonnam, this is what I do. We have to report it for them. I'm like, this comes with the territory. People are going to report. That's why I'm so private about my life, because otherwise people are going to report on it.
Speaker 2: It's just when people take sides though, right, because we don't.
Speaker 3: Know all the facts, and they want to know why you didn't say this because we only got three minutes and this is the information I was given you always I have to say that too. People get mad at me and I go, I didn't know. I didn't know that fact before. This is what we read and I'm I have to comment on it.
Speaker 1: But what Sherry said is true.
Speaker 5: Intention matters, right, Like, yeah, Lauren, you know we would have a dinner with the Wendy Williams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this was how long ago? I don't remember that.
Speaker 5: And Wendy said, verbatim, I think that I'm in the space that I'm in now because.
Speaker 1: Of how to talk about people.
Speaker 3: That's pretty powerful, that's what she says.
Speaker 1: And she was like, well, I just was and we don't even talk that.
Speaker 5: She was like, I don't know, I just I just think God, Like wow, for her to have that self awareness, then I mean, now it's good.
Speaker 3: But yes, and see, now here's the thing. No matter what I say about Wendy, it'll be it'll be taken out of context. So I don't get upset because I know my intention. I feel that's very powerful. And sometimes we get in the season of our life we started looking back over stuff and God is we're open more to hearing God. The fact that she said that is pretty deep because that means that at night she's been laying there thinking about some stuff. Now, she has a plethora of fans who if you if we said that, they'd be on us like on our asses about that. But Wendy said that, and it was a deep you can feel the sorry like I don't know, but maybe I've never seen her like that, And I was like, oh wow, I don't want to end up like that. And I would say this sometimes when you I remember my girlfriend said one time she didn't let The Real Housewives be played in her house. Her kids liked it, and she said, I don't want that energy in my house of always arguing people now with a man they do, because I don't want that any kind of seeds to be planet of energy in my house and I'm arguing with my friends, and so she wouldn't. So I feel like sometimes when you're in negative space all the time, negative energy seems define you. That's like how it is with Straw. It's the same thing with Straw. Like this girl, Taraji, her character, it was always negative stuff. And so everything you see these people that can't catch a break, they're always it's always something negative finds you because you're in such a negative space. So I think you have to look at that when I say, is it edifying how you were reporting the news? That's what you're doing. But when you know when you start to veer over into the shady, the mean, the shady Charlotte may when you veer over into that space. Because God get on me all the time. I'll veer over and He'll go stop stop, and I'm like, ah, but it's funny. Yeah, but it ain't from me. You know now, I'm not gonna open up a Bible and do malla co icept.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I'm funny. I do dirty jokes. I talk about people. But I can feel when I'm veering over into the I know you got to go your character instro you brought back up.
Speaker 4: It's such it because we're talking about women in all these spaces, right, Your character is such an advocate for black women in distress.
Speaker 3: Yes, in real life. Where does that come from for you? You know what I just I'm I feel for women who go I don't get along with other women because they treacherous. They this that's what you're draw into your life. I'm a big believer. Way you speak is what comes to you. And we cannot exist without other women. We really cannot. Like our strength comes from women. We change the world. I know when I was going through my worst moments, when I would be on the floor crying. It would be my girlfriends that would pick me up and hold me like I Just who would encourage me, who challenge me, who get on me? Is women. So if you don't have a good, good female friends in your life and you think they treacherous and you think they trying to get your man, then you need to let them go. And also you need to look at yourself because what is that saying? Show me the four people you hang out with, and I'll show you who you are. So if you feel that all the women in your life are treacherous, then what are you? Who are you?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: I just think that women we have to we have to galvanize because young girls. I have a heart for young women. They don't have these they don't have enough role models, and they are looking to us to figure out. We have coping mechanisms all this stuff that's happening politically adults, we barely have coping mechanisms. Think about these kids that are out there. They got nothing, So they need to see positive women in what they are doing. We need more women like you, We need more women like me, We need more women who are We need more women like Megs the stallion who says, I'm gonna go to college. Yes, I got this, but I'm gonna give my education because I know I'm gonna make a differ with this thing behind me, this piece of paper. And they wanted they want to go to they want to go to college. When I looked at a different world, I wanted to go to college. So I think that we have to really reach back and health these young ones like y'all have to reach back. There's no reason why y'all have not reached out and said, can free come and help? Say his name, Oh damn it, my son. Okay, I would like him too. He needs he needs an intern. Perhaps he needs the intern. I need somebody to help. That's what he needs to do. Intern, because you know he's on he's on the spectrum, and so it just he needs some black men in his life to you know. He tell I had to teach him to take the train by himself. I deal with people way different than a man, would you know. So I tell I tell him, when you're on the train and somebody says something crazy, just get up and move. Maybe you might tell him something different. I tell him, if the police say this, do this, And he said, Mom, They're not going to say that to me. I don't know what to say to him when he goes. They're not going to say he's manifesting great stuff, that that's not going to happen. But you might say something different.
Speaker 5: That is the hardest thing raising kids, because you don't want to put that on them. If they feel that way and they have that positive energy, you don't want to take that away from them.
Speaker 1: But you still want them to deal with the reality.
Speaker 3: Absolutely they have to deal with. But my reality and the way I'm a nurturer, maybe he shouldn't be a nurturer. I'm a protector, you know, I'm a Look. Look, if somebody mess with you, run, if a girl messed with you, run. You know, maybe he's not supposed to do that. You might have different advice for him. You know. He obviously would talk to y'all more about brownies and all of that other stuff. He found a site to sell them seven ninety nine, so y'all can tell him something different. I didn't know what to say. He submitted, Lincoln, everything.
Speaker 2: You owns part of a dispensary to please don't tell him that.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna give him nothing. Give him to you and you can have them.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I do want to end with this last question, miss Shepard, because you have been in here preaching.
Speaker 1: I mean, you do not know how God has been talking through you.
Speaker 3: Wow over that.
Speaker 5: Now, there is a generation of women watching your show who feels seen and heard. So what do you want to share his show to represent in this messy meme driven media landscape.
Speaker 3: I want I want the young brown girls to look at me and say, it's possible I can do that. I think you got three shows out with three black women running them. I don't know if you're gonna see that again in this temperature, but I want them to be able to look at us, look at me, and say I can do it. You know, That's why representation matters. People keep saying no no, we all won no no no. I saw Oprah Winfrey doing it and she looked like me. We had the same kind of hair, sayings the wig. We had the same kind of hair, her skin color. I saw Stephanie Mills and in the Whiz and I said, I want to do that. It matters. And so when little girls look at me and they come and see me and they call me untie, I'm like, yes, you can do this. There's a space for you. I want you to feel like there's a space. I want you to I want you to come up to me and ask me for advice. I want you to get ready because it's there for the taking. The money is here, the you just gotta be ready. So that's what I want to impart. It's doable, it really truly is. But you gotta do the work. So I think a lot of social media people, it comes to them so fast and when the crash comes, they're not able to rebound, you know, So put in, put in the work, and it's it'll happen.
Speaker 2: Check today.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you I'm also gonna be an NJ Pack Kim Whitley and I two Funny Mamas, three time na A CP Image Award winning podcast, Two Funny Mamas. We're gonna be at the NJ Pack at the North to Shore Comedy Festival June twentieth, and then we're gonna be in Philly. I'm gonna be in Philly July eleventh at the Riverside Casino. Is it the Riverside Casino? Rivers rivers Casino, Because I'm about to go on tour and do stand up. But Kim Whitley and I are the only comics who can stand on stage and do two hours of comedy improv. I don't know anybody else who could do it the way Kim will and I can do it. So come for the Shenanigans.
Speaker 2: That's right, New Jersey Pack, that's June.
Speaker 3: And I don't be preaching. I'm funny. No, no, no, I'm funny.
Speaker 2: Sherry Shepherd, Ladies and Gentlemen, Straw Netflix, It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 1: The Breakfast Club