Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Change is coming. Now it's my time to record radio better offline right here in the beautiful iHeartRadio studios on fifty fifth Street, and my god, we're back from CS. You couldn't stop me. I got off. I did thirteen and a half bloody hours on the radio on the podcast thing. I'm just don't know why I keep calling it radio, and then got on the flight, moved to New York. It was nothing, wore off a ducks back and now it's Tuesday and we're already recording again. You'll never get rid of me. And today I have two amazing guests. I have Paris Martineau, reporter at the Information and the Mighty Jeff Jarvis, author of the Gutenberg Parenthesis and journalisman professor over at Stonybrook University. Mister Jarvis is currently he is fielding a phone call, so I'll go to Paris. Hey doing Paris.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. I'm astounded by energy levels given the amount of podcasting and radio you've done the last week.
Speaker 2: I am. I am fired up. I love doing this. I think this is what I was meant to do.
Speaker 3: How are your feet after cees?
Speaker 2: Fantastic? I got inserts from my I like came to this show fully prepared. No one realizes how much like the amount of like Google docs, I had of things prepared, like the suitcases packed like two weeks in advance, and then I got to New York and I'd forgotten things like gym shorts and some shoes. And basically I prepared my life for one thing, not both things.
Speaker 1: And it's podcasting, podcasting and blogging and nothing else.
Speaker 2: Sleep slave to the content. Now, mister Jarvis, how have you been?
Speaker 3: Oh? Good, good, it's cold here.
Speaker 2: It is good.
Speaker 3: Do you have any regret coming here right now?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. Okay, I'd rather take this real last weather than the nonsense I get back in England. Oh it's kind of cold, but I usually see you two on this week in Tech, so it's good to have you here in person.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's lovely to be irl with you. Some might say it's better offline.
Speaker 2: It's better offline, but it is very online. So all right, Paris, you had a story come out of the weekend. I did tell us about it.
Speaker 1: So it is a story about this website called Sniffy's. Have you guys ever heard of it?
Speaker 3: Right there, I want to stop and I don't want to know anything, Moore.
Speaker 1: I think, well, it's actually where I'm that's probably a fair station. It is the up and coming, I guess, competitor to Grinder. It's a website for men seeking men. But it is specifically unlike you know, kind of your dating apps of your it's not really about dating, it's.
Speaker 2: About it's actual hook up.
Speaker 1: It's a hookup app, just for field. It is an actual app, and it's supposed to be kind of about translating the gay cruising scene into online.
Speaker 2: Potentially, right idea? Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, people seem to really love it. It started in some kind of infancy form in twenty sixteen, but in the last couple of years has really taken off among like gays in big cities and cities honestly big and small.
Speaker 2: However, so nothing went wrong.
Speaker 1: Nothing went wrong, that's the end of the story. I just like writing about when companies do good. So in this case, part of the thing that made Sniffy's so attractive to its users is it's kind of a no holds barred approach to hook up platforms. You don't even have to make an account to sign in. You can just type in Sniffy's dot com say yeah, I'm over eighteen, and then get to like navigating a map ful of dick picks and butt picks and messaging people and meeting up. Okay, that is a problem because it seems like the site has a bit of a child user issue. And when you have a child user issue, when you're a dating and sex platform, you also have a child sexual abuse platform. So me and my colleague Marie Weinberg identified over the last kind of a year or so more than a dozen cases where adult men had been charged for sex crimes involving a minor.
Speaker 2: They meant all facilitated directly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's a lot, it seems for a relatively small platform. It's about decide.
Speaker 2: Still around afterwards? Is the thing that shocks me.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean part of it is because the question of legal liability in these cases is a bit tricky. You have companies like there's long been an issue of kids getting onto adult dating apps and meeting adults, but up until recently, every legal challenge that a company that a parent or child that has grown up have tried to kind of throw against these companies saying, hey, you're actually not doing your job when it comes to policing underage do there's every legal challenge has been swept away by the company saying ah Section two.
Speaker 2: Thirty, even legal challenges aside. Would they not want to stop the children getting on the sex app? Well, it's hard sensibly, Okay? Did they try? Not?
Speaker 1: Really? Because all they wanted They don't want to have to try harder, it seems because right.
Speaker 2: Now the standard thing they don't want to try harder on is stopping adults having sex with children.
Speaker 1: Yes, because that would require taking on some responsible ability. And right now, what all they all these companies do is they just ask you for your birthday and assume that you didn't lie, because if they were going to do anything more stringent than that, that could open them up to liability.
Speaker 3: Explain something to me. So back Page and Craigslist took down their their sex sections.
Speaker 2: And also just for the for the listeners, Backpage, can you just run us through that.
Speaker 3: Backpage was a place where you could hook up. It was probably more of a singles into sex thing, right and Craigslist was pretty much singles but in within that people would find each other for that purpose.
Speaker 2: And then back Page was shut down.
Speaker 3: But the back Page shut down and Craigslist voluntarily got out of it because the liability was high, right, that was so they were shut down because it was sex trafficking or between that and what Snuffy.
Speaker 1: I believe part of the difference is when it comes to Backpage and Craigslist seeking connecttions, part of what they were originally shut down for involved fast assessed it involved specifically like sexual exploitation and sex traffic. FOSTA and SESTA were a package of bills that kind of went through some amounts of years ago that ended up regulating and making it making it so that these companies could not use the Section two thirty defense as a way to get around claims.
Speaker 2: They were made responsible for us to generated content. Yes, right, got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so in Sniffy's case, it's a bit different. Well, in some ways it's not a lot different, because part of the issue of what we found of those a dozen cases, i'd say like over a third of them did involve money being exchanged for sex with minors. However, part of it comes.
Speaker 2: To the fact love of the game, I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess part of it is that up until fairly recently, dating apps hadn't really badly claims like this against them. Whenever they had, they'd been basically laughed at of corpse, saying, Oh, of course, Grinder is not responsible for connecting your fourteen year old to a bunch of thirty year olds. It's a tech platform, it's user generated content. However, due to kind of shifting tides in the way that judges are viewing Internet companies, like defense says that's starting to change right now. There is a lawsuit that is going to be heard by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals involving a case called Dovee Grinder where a fifteen year old basically got on Grinder ended up being connected with four men who raped him. And part of what the attorney carry Goldberg is claiming in this appeal or arguing is that Grinder shouldn't be able to hide behind Section two thirty to say, hey, it's not our fault that we didn't age verify, that Grinder should be held liable for its faulty age verification policies under kind of product liability law, saying that this is a defectively designed product. And that's a specific argument the Ninth Circuit Court has been like amenable to when it comes to other tech companies like Snapchat, for instance.
Speaker 2: So what happened in the rest of the story.
Speaker 1: In the rest of the story, basically we identified all these different cases. We talked to Sniffy's. They said that they are working on an ID based age verification solution, but in reality, the only way that that's currently in practice is just in the dozen or so states that currently have pornography restrictions to where like part of the thing is if you open up Sniffe's, it's like a map and all the profile photos are like photos of penises. So if you are in one of those states with yeah, you're in one of those states, recognize yeah, I mean you'll we'll see exactly where they are. If you are in one of those states. When you open it up now, you'll see a blurred image and if you want to see the penis photos, you have to enter in your ID. However, the company says that there may be going to expand this in some way it hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 2: That would potentially open up legal liability.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, and that's but part of the thing is users also don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: So I mean that was kind of what I was thinking that would kind of kill it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or a platform like that is never going to be successful if it has that sort of barrier to entry and certiplications are huge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're handing over your identification to a company called Sniffies. Yeah, and I meant I wouldn't feel terribly secure in that.
Speaker 2: I mean I would, of course, but that's just me. But no, you also, you're right though, it's like these I imagine part of the thing here, other than the thing you're doing on there, is that it is kind of anonymous. Yes, that is that's the whole point, completely hidden, the thing where you can go off and touch all and sundry the problem being all in sundry there. What the legal ramifications though, if like the what was it do versus Grinder?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so the thing is if that case, when it's appealed nines to the court, if they rule in a similar way that they have in the past and say, hey, when it comes to product liability cases like this, tech companies don't have a defense, that could have huge ramifications for every.
Speaker 2: Company in the dating app, not just for dating even I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it could yeah, be way bigger than dating. But I mean the immediate impacts, according to the attorneys I spoke to, would be certainly on the dating app scene, which is huge because.
Speaker 2: We'll all change with those things.
Speaker 1: I mean probably what would change is they'd have to find a way to determine user age beyond just asking you for your to enter in your birthday, So it could be things like some of the other dating app companies out there already have stuff in place. For instance, I believe Bumble and one other maybe Tender, scan user profile photos when they're uploaded to see like, does this person look like clearly a child and if so, they might ask you to upload your idea to verify that you're over eighteen.
Speaker 2: I feel like there could also be a big problem. So I've been on the dating apps for a while, not that I'm not single, it just nobody likes me. And I remember when I was on them it was like months and months. Actually, no like last year, like early last year. It's been a while. There was a huge fake profile problem, and I wonder if there's not a secondary problem here where the dominance of these fake profiles on there might get pushed away when they have to stop verifying every us because that feels like the on the s.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean then part of the problem, if you're thinking about it from a corporate perspective, is then your user numbers go down, and probably in those cases, those fake profiles are like, the person is probably paying for that fake proflex that increases their reach. If they're running some sort of scam and then they're paying, user numbers would go down, which would be bad for most dating app companies that are already doing poorly. A weird thing I learned during this story is that Grinder is like the most profitable dating app company because gay users don't. I mean, this is a bit of a simplication, but from what I heard, it is that gay users just seem to pay for the platform and use it for much longer. In part, researchers think because gay users are more likely to be in non monogamous relationships. So you're not You're not signing up for Hinge premium, using it for cons, then getting in a monogamous relationship, and never using it again.
Speaker 3: So believe it or not, I once was an executive overseeing parts of brides dot com.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, you're so bridled.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I used to love to say I've got to go to a bridees meeting. But the interest thing there was that our audience would come in and leave in nine months, and for their sake, you hope they didn't come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, This is the other extreme of that. What happened with the cases that were done against Sniffy's. What was the status of those cases?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, so the cases that we that I tracked were all kind of like sex crimes against involving specific like male offenders. In two cases that we kind of follow throughout the story involving this then fourteen year old who made an accountant Sniffy's and had sex to adults. Those two adults have since been sentenced to upwards of as the question.
Speaker 3: Those work cases against Sniffy's in any.
Speaker 1: Case against people, that's the thing that Sniffy is no cases against him. I spoke to a parent, the parent of that fourteen year old, and she said, like, of course Sniffy should be sued. I don't know how to do it. I'm dealing with, you.
Speaker 2: Know, three dealing with a criminal case.
Speaker 1: I'm dealing with three foster kids that already were fucked up, and now my fourteen year old is super fucked up and has tried to commit suicide because of this whole thing. You know, She's like, I don't know how to do this, but I do think that if something happens on the doversus Grinder front, you might see cases like this increasing increasingly being fut in the country.
Speaker 2: And could this not be extrap laid out to a much wider series of issues as well, like assaults that happen with people of age that still happen as a result of a platform. But but.
Speaker 3: That's why I wanted to ask next, is when you go to product liability, it's usually that you're not matching a product promise. This is going to make you thin, this is going to make you beautiful? Yeah, does does Sniffy's promise safety?
Speaker 2: This is maybe Tinda has these feeches. I believe Tinda has feeches about like check in, So maybe like one of the platforms has safety feaches, so kind of okay, Grinder.
Speaker 1: One of the things noted in that is that Grinder promotes itself as a quote safe space, and all of these platforms say like our users are eighteen and up, Like they say that they check users age, so they're two promise that in a way but then I guess the question goes, does asking someone to enter their date of birth in just a form? Does that mean you've actually checked their age?
Speaker 3: Well, this is the interesting thing. We've talked about this on our podcast on the Speak of Google is where does a liability land. Is it at at the platform technology level or is it the intermediary level, or is it at the user level? And if we try to expect the platforms to solve all the problems of mankind, we know they're going to fail. Well, I think will fail.
Speaker 2: Specifically with TINDA. Under the Safety Policy Center, it says, and I quote our safety tools, we utilize a network of industry leading automated and manual moderation review tools, systems, and processes, and invest significant resources to prevent, monitor and remove inappropriate behavior, impersonation, harassment, and more from our app. These tools include automatic scans of profiles, red flag languages and images, manual reviews of profiles, and it goes on and so forth. And they also have a zero tolerance policy of harassment and encourage their community to report any instance of misconduct.
Speaker 3: They have a liability statement there.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, see it's probably an additional policies decoration, harassment under it. Bloody hell, they got a lot now, there's just a lot of like things that they might be under the terms of use. But nevertheless, if this goes, if those versus Grinder happens, it feels like that won't stop people suing and using this as a promise.
Speaker 3: Certainly, Yeah, but there's a problem with that too. I've argued. I mean, Facebook is now completely fucked up and going full Maga, but I've argued strenuously over the years that it should have had a raisal on debt, a north star right right, and it should have said we're here to be nice to each other, We're here to build community, we're here to make strangers less strange. They do none of that, and I wish they would have because perhaps then there is a standard to hold them against and also their users. However, in this discussion, if they say, well, you said you're going to be the place where people are nice, and now you're filled with harris but it motivates them not to make any promises. Yes, yeah, that's a problem. I think.
Speaker 2: Also an IDC company, so I don't really that's the company that owns Tinder and match Group and a bunch of other ones like Chemistry dot Com and I don't they're evil, Like, this is my statement, you don't have to follow. I think they're deeply evil companies. But this Sniffy's thing is a level worse.
Speaker 1: And I mean, I just think it's interesting because sniffy is I mean, is kind of like the worst of all these problems because it is completely without any of the safe.
Speaker 2: A frictionless experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's also gotten so popular in the last couple of years dating app the big dating apps are taking notice. Like Grinder shouted it out basically in one of their most recent earnings called said when an analyst had asked, like, oh, are there any competitors in the space that you're looking for keeping an eye on, and their CFO had said something along as there's like an anonymous they basically described Sniffy's in name but without using their name, and said we're keeping an eye on them. They also then introduced a feature I believe called right now that users on Grinder can turn on if they're looking for sex right that instant and other apps in the gay dating space have kind of emerged that are trying to take kind of a similar map based cruising approach.
Speaker 2: It is really funny though that the aultmeth thing is they were just like, yeah, why if we didn't follow any rules?
Speaker 1: It is pretty funny.
Speaker 2: What if we just turned off the rules pot? And I think that kind of leads us to Meta right now, because I think what you're seeing with the destruction of Meta, and I'm sure you two have heard, but for the listeners, Meta has now got rid of all of their content moderation stuff. They've got ridly well. They're claiming that well their fact check the fact check a sorry sorry fact check, and I just fucked up the fact check, didn't I. And now and now they're laying off five percent No, thank god, someone else you know what's going on now. They're laying off five percent of their people for quote underperforming and they're gonna They're claiming the lms will replace like second tier engineers. And also they have cas in you and actually I've given them a lot of shit, but he's put out some really good things recently about what Meta has said inside and how they're doing allowable things like just straight up homophobia, straight up.
Speaker 1: I mean, they just around the same time that these announcements rolled out that an internal directive went out to remove tampons and pads from any male restrooms on Facebook campuses, which.
Speaker 2: Is just a foolish thing.
Speaker 1: It's just that that is costing you money. You already have those dispensers in there, why not just leave them there.
Speaker 2: But I think that it's something above MAGA as well, and I think that people willing to do what I'm about to describe might lean conservative because it's evil. Now, if you're listening to your conservativecy it, don't be so rude, shout the fuck up. I don't care now.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised you've made it this far.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I don't know how you are that. No, it's all the anti monopoly people who are like, God, damn it, yeah, Matt Stola. Anyways, So the point I'm making is I think Meta is going to be the largest scale example of a company just not giving a shit in history. They're just doing all the evil stuff. They're using this as a chance to get rid of these troublesome things such as any kind of diversity, ecity and inclusion, harassing trans people by removing them from spaces.
Speaker 3: It's all around American and industry now, McDonald's, which depends upon black customers and depends upon black employees and people of color. No, DEI get rid of it. We don't care anymore. We're not going to do that anymore. And Meta, which cared about you know, and getting together and all that bs right. I was very impressed by Mark Limley, who is a Stanford law professor and a big deal in West Coast law. He is deactivating his account, but he's also firing Meta as a customer. Hell yeah, as a client, And he said, I have struggled with how to respond to Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook's dissent into toxic masculinity and neo Nazi madness. Yeay, And that's a lot of it is. It's not just political. It's this toast your I don't ads.
Speaker 2: I actually know. I take back my hell yeah, overcount my hell yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is you, thank you. They're waiting for this moment. But also like.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah now, but like Daylight Dollar show. As you can ask Jeff Jeff Horwitz, the Wall Street journalists have broken code. Meta has been backing up the Mega people for years and years and years. They have benefit. They allowed plandemic to spread a horrible conspiracy film. Then I'm not even going to describe it sounds stupid and it is stupid. It's for moron whatever it's meant to be a big ten. I don't care. Jeff Kaplan, who is now the head of Global policy, I believe right, Joel Coot, Why do I keep mixing those back? Check you again, man, Now, this is why you have guests because I'm too stupid to remember things. He intervened with the Public Health Group specifically to allow plandemic to continue to go through. And when Kevin Russ attempted to report on this and report that crowd Tangle, this internal tool had allowed them to see that these things were spreading and that Dan Bongino and all the conservatives were basically all that was being recommended. Alex Schultz, the CMO of Facebook at the time. Meta, Now he just shut down crowd Tangle.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: You can't have that, can't have people knowing. Alex Schultz also recently suggested on the anti LGBTQ front, and he is a gay man, that seeing homophobia and some such business on there would make people more sympathetic to the cause of LGBTQP.
Speaker 3: This is perverse it is.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting. But the thing is, it's I think what's frustrating me, and perhaps I need to stop things like it's not just maga is maga, of course it is, but it's been here for a while, and it's been here egregiously. They've been supporting the Conservatives at scale, and I mean supporting as a media property. And so it's just I just can't take it so seriously when people are going, well, this is Monk Zika finally giving in. No, that repressed little fuck he's oh going on, Joe Rogan Woo, things are not masculine enough. What the least masculine thing I've ever heard? Anyway? Right?
Speaker 3: No, So on this Week of Google last week, I said, you know, is there anybody left? I thought that Jeff Bezos was a responsible steward of the Washington Post. He's not. Mark Zuckerberg was always a dork, but I didn't think he was as bad. Jack Dorsey gets weirder by the day and or not. And I said on the show that Jensen Wong, the CEO and founder of Nvidia, I'd watched his two hour keynote at the CS I was I'm impressed by it by him Costley, So well, maybe there's maybe there's a smart guy next.
Speaker 1: Day believing the good people.
Speaker 3: The next day on MASTERD and somebody said, this is your good guy. Jensen Wong was signing a woman's breast.
Speaker 2: To say, Jeff, well, first of all, if she asked, if she asked, But also I would choose the other thing that Jensen Huang did. At ces So during one of the presentations, an audio guy was like, hurried on, he goes, I can hear myself, I can hear myself. And the guy's like, no, no, mister, mister Houang. It's reflecting off the size. He's like, no, no, And he was called Sebastian. I believe he's like I'm when I when someone makes a mistake, I'm gonna call it a Sebastian going forward, Okay, that's the thing. It is a fair thing, though, and I'm not saying I think there are some who want this more than others. It would be nice if one of them wasn't insane. I thought it was Mark Benioff for a while, I thought I thought Mark Benioff was all right. And I actually had coffee with the report after I met him and like described him positively, and she said, so he's just another white TEXTI I'm like, oh shit, I'm doing the thing that I'm doing the exact thing, but also be too.
Speaker 1: So may I put together my theory forward? My theory it's called CEO.
Speaker 2: Brainworms, Please Please.
Speaker 1: It's simply that if you are a CEO of something, especially a large company, you increasingly get brainworms, which is just you are surrounded by people whose job is largely to say yes to you, make you feel good, and that would make anyone insane. If you are surrounded by sick evans for long enough, I think that you are going to become untethered from reality in a way that is distressing to a person that exists in conflats.
Speaker 2: Someone on Twitter once said, being a billionaire is like being kicked in the horse and the head by horse every day. And I think that's fair.
Speaker 3: But there's something different now. I think they've always been sexists. It's a male structure that's given, but the permission structure has changed, rightly, yes, and I don't think it necessarily. Their essence has changed, But they're all freed.
Speaker 2: They're untethered, yes, and yeah, I I fully agree with that. And I think you're really seeing it with Zuckerberg, and it kind of makes so much more. I wish I would have called this one, because he is doing exactly what you'd expect. He's just I'm gonna remove all of the stuff that makes Facebook already a basically unusable platform. I'm gonna make it. I'm just gonna add all the racism back. We need some more racism there. And I'm just gonna fire a bunch of people, and I'm gonna go on Joe Rogan and talk about my sad little Willy or whatever he said. I didn't watch. I don't care. It's just what happens with Google now? Is my question? What is the untethered Sundar Peshai experience.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be naive again. I think it's different, maybe because Sundar is educated and Luri and Sergei are educated, and Zuckerberg left sophomore year seminar brain.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I'm not sure that I've met plenty of psychotic people in college. True, and I'm just true. I'm just wondering, perhaps I should reframe the question. It's like, what happens the Google now? How how worried about Google's quality. I am if like, because this is what's what Meta is doing is effectively what Google's been working on. It's the whole thing of degrading the quality of the service by taking off the things that makes it good.
Speaker 3: Well, I argue that different industry that the problem for Google isn't just Google. The problem is the web. The Web is being ruined as a whole, and it's a window on to a worse web, and.
Speaker 1: In some ways Google is accelerating that. But yeah, Google has, as it is the portal to the Web, entire industries upon industries have emerged to a game that portal of the web, which results in kind of a self fulfilling prophecy of the quality.
Speaker 2: The content that they raise becomes the most popular content, which in turn informs what will be popular next.
Speaker 3: Yes, or it's an armload of a chicken today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm angry. It's I think that this is really going to hasten the row economy. I think this is just going to begin more rot because before there was this lair and they obviously all resented it where it was just like god, oh yeah, there's different colored people. I guess fucking because woman now Jesus Christ, and they've always like grumpily accepted it. And Meta has been weirdly one of the better ones, which means that the ones who are not going, what do you think fucking Tesla's gonna be? Like Tesla's not going to have bathroom for woman anymore? That's a guess, it's it's it's a joke. I don't know who are you worried about jet Like who who's the real bastard left? Who's the bustard who hasn't basted it yet?
Speaker 3: Well, that's I think that's the I hope the Google is not going to go that far, I think for their business, and it would be any any good. Here's the other question blue Sky?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Do we have any hope for Blue Sky?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: I have, but I'm an optimist. I hold out hope. I like Blue Sky.
Speaker 1: I'm a nihilist, but I have hope for Blue Sky.
Speaker 3: Selfishly yes, And then I saw did you see the thing yesterday? I've got to pull up the rundown. There's an effort to raise thirty million dollars.
Speaker 2: Is this the free my appads, which which is filled with people like Shoshana Zuboff. This to me what I was already on my notes. I'm glad you brought this up. It's really what is it?
Speaker 3: And Dave Winer, who's one of the pioneers of RSS and podcasting and blogging and so on, his response was, there's no nerds there, there's no technologists there.
Speaker 2: I also, it doesn't seem to be saying what they'll do.
Speaker 3: No, it did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what have they raised the money too?
Speaker 2: They've not even raised the money.
Speaker 1: They're declaring their hope to raise money. I'd also like to declare that.
Speaker 2: I also raise dollars.
Speaker 1: I'll spend it on a Brownstone and give you ten twenty millions.
Speaker 2: I will keep the money and do nothing else.
Speaker 3: What's the name of it again?
Speaker 2: Free off feeds because I.
Speaker 3: Want to go to the list of the people who are associated.
Speaker 2: No, it's really funny. There's Cory doctor wrote and Shoshana zoo Buff right, which if if you've ever talked to Corey about Shoshana Zoo Buff, let me just say that's a weird coffee date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it marks a sermon from Mozilla, who I think is a good guy, but Shoshana drives me crazy. Roger mct to me, Oh, doesn't call me anymore, drives me nuts, Mark Ruffalo, Jimmy Wales, We like Brian eno Is everywhere, Carol Cadwallader from Well the Guardians Soon, Roger Turtle.
Speaker 2: It's just a bunch of people who don't build.
Speaker 3: They don't build, they don't build. So uh, my friend Craig new Mark.
Speaker 1: Costically, what they want to use the raised funds for is to launching a public interest foundation to support the project while creating independently hosted infrastructure giving Blue Sky users, developers, and researchers access to content.
Speaker 3: And then you don't need thirty million dollars to do that. Mastodon built up to what it was just when went after until the point where Musk bought Twitter Masterdon has had raised an entirety.
Speaker 2: Thousand Maston literally just did a nonprofit operation like a day or two ago, saying that they're kind of decentralizing it. See. I don't enjoy Mastodon at all. I don't think.
Speaker 1: I think it's a bunch of scolds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like I need to do a content warning because I didn't use a capital letter in the right place exactly like I'm eating lunch. Wow, how dare did you see that guy in the matrix. He didn't even have a mouth. Now, I think what frustrates me here is like Mastodon did something real that they moved stuff around and this thing I got reached out to by them, and I read a few articles and I'm pretty stupid. So I was like, maybe someone else saw song. I sent to a few friends. Everyone was like, this looks good. I guess it isn't anything.
Speaker 3: There's nothing.
Speaker 2: It's just there's nothing. Why is everyone covered? Will Aramis call me? Will it Aramis of the Washington boast to I adore? Why are you giving them a Q and a they he talked all about them. It's just it's frustrating because I think it was the they've done kind of I hope I'm wrong. I hope this thing does the thing that they're non spit, but you could do it? What is actually? I don't why am I even saying I hope they do it. I actually cannot tell you what they do.
Speaker 3: So the eighth conception, to me, it should be to federate Blue Sky, to take the at protocol and make it federated like masterodot is like activity put right that that requires Jay Graber and Blue Sky to have enough resources to put out what's needed for federation.
Speaker 2: And I wonder if that costs thirty million.
Speaker 3: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: What they want to do from what I understand of this vague promise now is I think they want to be like, hey, do you want to fund like the other Blue Sky. It just feels this kind of vagueness and now that we've listed out all the names and just kind of like, this is a cynical This is like one of those stand up to cancer thing.
Speaker 3: No, No, it doesn't qualify.
Speaker 2: It's cynical. It's cynical. And I like the thing is there of people I look like, Corey's awesome.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And it's like.
Speaker 2: All of these promises without really promising anything. What does that sound like? The tech industry like, why don't you come to this with some things? And the answer is they just want to talk about we want to make it billionaire proof. What the fuck does that mean? Really does have way more money than thirty million dollars. They've got like one hundred and fifty million more dollars than that. That's how much a billion is exactly, And it's just everyone's kind of fallen for it. And I hope it does something good, but I really cannot say what that might be. And if their answer is well you didn't read it well enough, not my fucking problem. Mate, You explain the shit when you're talking to all and Sundry about this.
Speaker 3: Have you seen anything from Jay Graber or Eplusky about what she thinks of this.
Speaker 2: She gave a canned quote and said it was good because I mean, if in her position, well, it'd be funny if it's just like this bullshit fuck these people.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess, yeah, if someone wants to buy out her startup for thirty million dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not even that. She was just like, yeah, it's a pretty good thing. I think it might have been Ja. I don't know if it was Jay who did the quote, but it was something along the lines of like this is cut good. You know that protol.
Speaker 3: Mike Basnik is now on the board a Blue Sky. He's the voice I'll trust on this.
Speaker 2: Yes, I generally trust Mike. We have some differing opinions, mostly on section two thirty, but I think that that's everyone's experience with Mike.
Speaker 3: It's just because I agree with Mike on section Yes.
Speaker 2: No, no, I know you know, I'm a huge man. He was a guest on the show. He was one of my favorite episodes, The streisand Effects.
Speaker 1: I think. I think Mike is lovely.
Speaker 2: He's wonderful, really really good storyteller and actually a good journalist, which is why this whole thing is something I really would like his opinion on, because it feels like the kind of thing you get like a call bowe bode yes, like an article and being like a bunch of tech people. Ship it up again, Carl, I love it, but also I don't want to be a wet blanket here but bloosh, Like it's just frustrating because you know what we actually need right now, like pixel fed or whatever, the federated Instagram thing that is currently being blocked. What is pixel It's just an Instagram that's decentralized, much like massif activity. Yeah, it's an actual thing that probably could use thirty million dollars and is an actual story beyond it being blocked. But the thing getting covered is a bunch of people getting together and saying wouldn't it be nice if something was nicer when you actually have someone doing the thing. Because what we need right now is a blue sky for Facebook, or we need Facebook equivalent and Instagram equivalent, because once Meta loses their grip on those two things, they are fucked. They do not have a real business. The whole AI profiles thing, which we'll get to in a minute, and all of this here, we're going to take off the We're going to take off all the things that I don't allow you to say, the fourteen words every post. We're going to allow trans people to protect.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Don't do that just because you're evil. Capitalism is generally gonna move towards the most profitable direction. You do this because all that stuff just got in the way of more stuff and more growth. You break that machine with an alternative that doesn't suck constantly.
Speaker 3: Let we tried different theory on okay, which is that I made fun of Musk buying Twitter forty four billion dollars. What a fool you are, And we all know how wrong that was, because he's worth ten times more because he sees access to power around the world around Yeah, he used it. Is Zuckerberg simply jealous of Musk's political cloud?
Speaker 2: Nah? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: He's more more by money than power.
Speaker 2: I think he could just given what do you.
Speaker 1: Think, I mean, I think that that could be could thing. I think that certainly access to political power is something that he wants, as do all of these people. The fact that Zuck Musk and who is the third person, A bunch of text CEOs are going to be sitting in Trump and Besis are going to be sitting in Trump's little box of the inauguration, I think speaks volumes.
Speaker 2: Did you cover a Facebook and I feel like you've covered them previously?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I covered them earlier on right?
Speaker 2: Is this is there anything historic about? Because I was just thinking, has Zuck about generally hung out with presidents in any way? Like has he ever really been social with them?
Speaker 1: Maderstanding is no, not to this extent.
Speaker 2: But I could be He's period. Remember he like his I remember his.
Speaker 1: It was notable in like twenty seventeen or eighteen when he did a tour across America taking his little photos stage to look like his normal height, and everyone was like, oh wow, he's making a political statement. He could be moving. He looks like he could be five foot nine. Yeah, yeah, No, it's a there's definitely him standing on boxes or in photos standing. He's five seven standing forward so that he looks taller. However, I remember that being notable because it felt like, yeah, he's actually like entering into the political sphere. Maybe, but I think that he is, just as his political star has risen, for better or worse over the last decade, is cozied up to power quite a bit.
Speaker 3: I'm about to say something terrible. Hell yeah, which is when I was in Davos, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: By Jeff.
Speaker 3: I was there in a session with Mark Zuckerberg, and it was before he was media trained, And I've watched him in a few conference settings back in the day ten years ago, and he obviously hated it then. But he's changed.
Speaker 2: I think he has got the brainworms. But also, like many of these guys, he's got all of this money and got a reasonable age, and then he's like, what do I enjoy? And then he's realized he enjoys nothing. I personally am a barbecue guy. I have never seen a man less interested in cooking in my life. Sweet baby raised sweet.
Speaker 1: He loves to smoke those meats, though, And there's nothing.
Speaker 2: Wrong with a cheap record with some sweet baby rays. If you're feeling lazy, we've all done it. It took six hours. You're not lazy enough, not so lazy you wouldn't You don't want to go to the store. And also he got a big green egg he got there's nothing wrong with the big green egg. But you know what, if you got all this money, you can get yourself a really interesting stick burner. You gotta look up pit.
Speaker 3: You could buy Nashville.
Speaker 2: You could go and get a Bits and Spits out of Texas. That's where I get my girl from beautiful Steel Beast coy over there put it together. Really don't want to look at the politics there. Just realized as they said that never looked at it. Please if it's bad, don't tweet it him. But also he doesn't enjoy anything. None of these people do. And so yeah, he's just like I've seen clips of the Rogan thing, and he just seems he seems as bad as Elon Muy. He seems just like his like another day with my billions.
Speaker 1: A detail I think is notable has been stuck in my head ever since I read it. It was a Wall Street journal piece kind of tied to this rebuff of fact checking. They had a detail right at the end that I think in maybe like November of last year, Mark Zuckerberg had had gone through some sort of knee surgery because he pulled something relating to MMA and made a Facebook post about it, being like, here's me at my knee surgery. And I guess the post didn't do well, and so he freaked out and messaged his team being like, why isn't my post doing well? Turns out it was because it was being suppressed due to Facebook policies on potential medical misinformation, And I don't know, seems fairly notable. But right before Zuck decides to roll back all of these policies limiting the reach of certain posts, his own knee Facebook post gets limited.
Speaker 2: Well. I love about that first of all, other than the lack of post is sparit and this pathetic yeah post better, but also post harder. He actually ran into a problem of Facebook that people complain about, which is that I don't seem to distribute my post to everyone. It seems to get stopped somehow. But instead of being like maybe that's a problem with the platform's like why are people not looking up my knees enough?
Speaker 3: And he knew he knew it was his platform.
Speaker 1: He knew it was his own platforms, and they were like, fix it for my thing. And it's a similar thing that Elon Musk has done with Twitter to where he was like, well, people aren't seeing my tweets enough, so we're gonna need to put my tweets in everybody's feed always.
Speaker 2: And it's itald I would do this. I mean it just to be clear, like immediately right now, like and why because I love people looking at me. But it's so much sadder if you have all the money in the world and you could actually make people look at you, and you could go and like see anyone. You have enough money that foreseeably anyone would meet with you. You might have to pay someone, but you could meet everyone probably. But I was just shocked, even in the clips I saw of how like petulant, he seems like he doesn't like it's not like he's like finally the attention's like ah, he's like.
Speaker 3: Resent because because Baga is anger. Sure, sure, that's the whole that's the whole stait.
Speaker 2: He didn't feel like he was leaning into it, though he felt like there was a man pissed off.
Speaker 1: I think it makes sense if you think about it historically, because Zuck went on this huge apology tour after the twenty sixteen election and also with Cambridge Analytica. Stuff happened. He was for years just like a political punching bag, and he put himself up for it. He went before Congress, he went and apologized to a bunch of parents.
Speaker 2: Recently, he did this whole like very reasonable him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very I mean, but like in the mind of someone who is the head of a company, that might seem like you really have gone through the ringer, and yet people still continue to be mad at you no matter what you do.
Speaker 3: Actually, the apology demanded in Congress was by Josh Holly, who's now his bff. It's it's all just sicko pon sick.
Speaker 2: And it's now I'm thinking about sund up Ashy, Probably not Sundar or Satch in the Della. I think Saching the Della might from Microsoft, might adjust and become the nice CEO, or he will find far more specific ways to do it that will allow him to get away with them. But it really is. It's going to be interesting seeing the people who turn their nose up at Facebook now because right now I can't delete my Instagram. It's the only way I speak to like eleven people, and there are people only interact on it. But if that's your only business model, that's not great.
Speaker 3: But but that goes back to Musk. My presumption, besides it being a bad investment, was he was ruining in it and people would leave it. He has, people have left it. It doesn't matter to him. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I think Facebook masters uk, I actually do. I think I think he is. He's not obsessed with it because that would involve him like looking at it for more than two seconds. But no, actually, maybe i'd take this back. He might not care if you look at it now. I guess no, It's just it looks like shit and it doesn't really.
Speaker 3: Because what did he care about the stupid goggles? Yeah? Right, and now he cares about it? And what Here's one of the funny things about Meta is that I think that they're a leader in ai. Jon Lacun, who's there is one of the well, he's one of the more I think rational people around it. He's not a doomster, he's not full of all that crap.
Speaker 2: NOI argues with Elon Musk and Gary Malcus all day.
Speaker 3: That's God's work?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Where is it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get him on here just to call him Yan Lacum, but I think he'll kill me. But no, so then leaders same leaders.
Speaker 3: A AI, he's still but he is still doing the the goggle crap. Yeah, you know ar and VR. He got bored with Facebook a long time ago, So.
Speaker 2: With with that, I agree. I think he might love the financial entity known as Meta, though I think he's like really attached to just the numbers because they've always been from the very early days of jan Olivan and Naomi gLite and Alex Schultz, they've always been like growth pigs. They love they were written off.
Speaker 3: Remember it wasn't that long ago. All Facebook's over. Meta is over.
Speaker 2: It's just a maskets never did that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well they did for a little while. They did for a while, and then it's it's been a hell of a story.
Speaker 1: Now it's meta. It's the future of the web. We're onto webs seventy five.
Speaker 2: We're onto web four point five. And this is when it gets more racist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the legs are racist legs, but I don't forget.
Speaker 3: In the early day, as a print Malius Maleficarum came out, which was the guide to burning witches that killed lots of people, and it was Print's fault. So maybe this is just a phase for want until we have institutions that finally bring us quality. Same thing happened, honest to God, with print. That's a plug from my book, the Gutenberg parentheses now out, you could do it. I write about this right, and I think that we're at a stage where the scale of speech today is not cannot be handled by the institutions we have. When with print came, the institutions of editing and publishing were invented for that purpose because nobody knew what was made on this press. It had no providence. Anybody can make this credit.
Speaker 2: So are you suggesting it would be a private market effect rather than the governmental one.
Speaker 3: I'm suggesting it's institutional, and institutions.
Speaker 2: Can be either, right, So I think I think it's possible, and I think that I actually think it's very difficult, but not as hard as people think to destroy Meta in that it would take someone with enough money and enough moments like Blue Sky's growth came from a moment where people went, let's check out what's on x Ohdroy per forty two is threatening to kill me? And that is somehow my suggested from the algorithm, and he DM me as well. I think that person will kill me though, And then people went, I don't want to fucking be there. I don't want to be associated with this. I think with meta if depending on how bad the guardrails are pulled off, because we really don't know yet, it's going to take a little time, I think people will just be like, this platform already sucks. I won't look at anything. And that's the real question. Do they go nowhere? I'm really curious about the TikTok ban. It might we might find out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I think you're right on Meta, perhaps in some US circles, But I think the question when it comes to something like Facebook is what ends up happening to internationally using the growth Facebook is the Internet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's actually that is actually genuinely worrying because the destruction of the content. I know content moderation is still there, but the very clearly lacks approach they're going to use now is going to hit the global South so much more, and it's going to hit people that are more subject to disinformation and misinformation.
Speaker 1: And I think it's worth noting that while like a lot of studies have shown the jury's a bit out on whether fact checking works or not. It does in some cases, but for most, like politically charged things, it just makes people dig their heels and more. The one thing I think is undercovered, or I guess underemphasized, is fact checking's ability to limit reach of misformation. Like, sure, it's not going to saying like, yeah, I posted misinformation and saying on my post your post is misinformation probably isn't going to change my view, but it will potentially have an impact on the twenty people that might have seen that and fallen into that.
Speaker 2: Rat And the thing is, and I think it was someone from foreig formte the point that metis fact checking wasn't great. Certainly, I was.
Speaker 3: There at the beginning. After the twenty sixteen I raised a bunch of money from Facebook, gave it away to places like Data in Society and another good folks for doing lots of work on what as Joe Burnstein has since called big disinfo. And I was watching as they were trying to build their fact checking structure, and it was a clusterfuck from the beginning. They had to well, we can't do this. We can't make judgments. Everybody's a frightened of judgment. So they had to go to the fact checking organization. Imagine their fun conventions they have, and you've got to verify who's a good fact checker. And then that group wouldn't verify ABC News. So then Facebook had a fit about that, And so it was routing around and around is who's allowed to be a fact checker? Right from the very beginning, that's what it was. And then there's debate to how to.
Speaker 2: Other scale that to billions of people.
Speaker 3: Exactly in all kinds of cultures and languge. And so I'm not I'm not against fact checking. I'm not against facts, but facts, to my mind, are not the problem.
Speaker 2: And I think the problem soory that Jeff just got sent five dollars from the fact organization on his phone that they sent figure. And you see when you said I was there at the beginning, I had to stop myself being like.
Speaker 1: Of time, that's me every week on this week in Google I'm black and white TV.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's I think the bigger thing is I'm more worried about the ramifications of this attitude, because they already were pretty lax and in the global self in the rest of the world that even there's even there's less media that understands those language, the languages even Jesus, but also less people in the Western world, which matter is arguably more scared about with the media, and I think as well. The other thing I really haven't seen talked about is META already limiting traffic on on journalism. Do you think that they're gonna increase the sharing decrease it?
Speaker 1: Well, I believe that they said they're no longer going to limit the reach of like civix related content, which I think I took to mean the political news. I don't know whether that will apply to all journalism.
Speaker 2: That is such a youth miss or civics related, civic related. So they will allow the influences they.
Speaker 3: Like, but probably not links.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, they will allow links, but they won't they'll depress them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, allowed them, well versus Canada, where of course they're not allowed. Yes, uh. And I think I think Meta was praying that the Canada like bill would have would have passed in California because they said that they would eliminate news in California, and I think that would have been an open door screw it. Let's eliminate it in the US. Let's eliminate it everywhere. And that would have been easier for them puppies, parties and uh, pedophiles and uh, what's another p word for bad people.
Speaker 2: Fiery is going to stop making TV shows. It's just it's frustrating and it's only going to push people towards blue sky. But it's also I think a real inflection point for legacy media as well.
Speaker 3: So there was a story in legacy media is dead.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know. So Jeff Jarvis over here a big fan of the Times in the Post. You actually, I like he does this thing where it's hashtag hashtag broken posts and broken times, broken times, but good times. You've also put in a bit.
Speaker 3: A rare moment when they do well.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's got to give it the other day they did, But that's I think that those publications are more threat from this than people realize. Because Sevenpore had a story saying, I think it's today for its media. So I assume mister Tani next Zani. He that story said that the Post went from having like twenty million unique monthly visitors to like two point five to three in twenty twenty one to two point five to three and twenty twenty four. Jeff is astounded. I was too wow, and Scar, a friend of the show, made the good.
Speaker 1: Point eight has about three million months.
Speaker 2: I think if the Post hoped you get late, that would probably be We used.
Speaker 3: To have that as a business bottel. We used to have personals and newspapers before you were born.
Speaker 2: And that's what they took from us.
Speaker 3: That's all we had. Feel sorry for us old horny people.
Speaker 1: Was submitting a single sentence to the Washington Post.
Speaker 2: My new favorite quote of.
Speaker 1: Feel sorry for us old horny people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like last week was already apologizing for the amount of times people talked about horny checks and stuff. Well we're back, folks. It's just crazy. But I think it's these large publications have been so used to social traffic and they've not been working out what the hell to do with it for a while.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of them are betting that getting checks from AI companies could soften the blow, which I don't think is going to change much.
Speaker 2: I mean, you only get one of those as well.
Speaker 1: I mean they're supposed to get one a year or something like that.
Speaker 2: I think it burns five billions.
Speaker 1: Dash Meredith had. I think their numbers are public, and if you do the math, it equals up to like one percent or less than one percent of their yearly revenue. Take it and then I just don't. I think it's a terrible trade and it's the same sort of mistake these companies made.
Speaker 3: It screws the rest of all media, and it's just the moguls get their bags of money, but ed here it gets nothing from open Ai.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love to sell everything words wise to Sam Olman. You just have to text me back. Sam. I've been texting you. I have not heard back, and I'm not sure why. I simply asked you a question. Come on, come on man, mister open Aye, I need you on my show. I won't hurt you much, not physically but emotionally.
Speaker 1: Just six texts unanswered. We come on, you coward.
Speaker 2: We are going to be crying, both of us. I will start crying and you will finish crying. Mister Altman, these deals, I assume that the Washington Post isn't getting say one hundred and seventy five million dollars a year, which is what their revenue is. They probably getting like twenty thirty. I just tried to look it up. I could not find it from this open aideal. I think it was for the AI powered search. Is that a content deal with them or did they out sign one.
Speaker 1: Yet I'm not sure. So what I understand is the two big media deals that we have like public numbers on as far as the amount it equals up to, like a single percentage point or less of their overall revenue when you calculate it like they are getting they are getting pennies.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're not good at business, otherwise they wouldn't be in such terrible shape right now. They screwed up the Internet, they missed the boat. They didn't know what they were doing. They cry and try to get protectionist legislation, and so now they cry and try to get money out of open AI and it's not a business model.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeff, this is actually one of the many reasons of what did you want? Can you kind of explain what you just said? So what is it that they missed? What is it that they should have done differently?
Speaker 3: So let's not just make that third person. I'll make that first person too, because I worked for the Conte and ast in one advance and I was there as it was going on, and.
Speaker 2: What was it in this case the Internet.
Speaker 3: I started at Advance in ninety four, just a month after the browser came out, right right, So the company was debating, Okay, now we're going to uncle Jeff time.
Speaker 1: I'm sad.
Speaker 2: That was the fact when the browser was a room sized machine that the website.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we were debating whether to put our content onto Prodigy or AOL or this new.
Speaker 2: Web point on the portals themselves when it was just like one website.
Speaker 3: So I worked for Steve newhous Is now the chairman of Advance and conte and asked, and he's really, really smart, and he's the one who taught me about interactivity and community, and he knew that print content was not valuable online. But every other publisher thought their great value was in repurposing their print content to online and trying to license it and get money for it and sell it. And they didn't understand to the portals, to the portals and then eventually and pay walls. They didn't understand that the essence of the Internet is conversation and community and collaboration and creativity. That's the last of my literations and so they can insisted to just do what they'd always done, subscription money and add money. And as they add money went down because the number of a veils went way sky high of advertising. Then, as happens when supply goes up, price goes down. So then they tried to put it all behind the pay wall and they're not all the New York Times, and they can't do that. And they never saw I think, what the essence of the Internet is. And so now they're still in mass media mind. They're still in we have to please everybody while they go piss off everybody that they have done what they have done. I think that they should have seen themselves that they could have started Reddit, they could have started AOL, they could have started these things.
Speaker 2: I was part of this funded journalism, like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're talking about something like Kinja, the commenting uh reddit like commenting system.
Speaker 3: Und I was there at the beginning of that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Conversations the first.
Speaker 3: Well, Nick Detton first hated. I said he had put comments on on Gawker. So no, I hate comments. They're awful, that's true, they are, actually they're not. But but at one point he became a believer because he was going to do it nixt way, and that became Kinja, that became everything else.
Speaker 2: I think my big thing is that one publication owning Reddit. Do you think that that makes like, how would like something like Reddit? Because you're saying that they should have seen conversations?
Speaker 3: Is the thing?
Speaker 2: Does that mean a social network? Like what? Because what you're just describing is a company that sells journalism, and you're like, the thing we will sell is not journalism.
Speaker 3: Well, in fact, by old boss Steve Newhouse is the one who bought red it.
Speaker 2: He wanted to buy yeah, but he ran it like shit, no he didn't.
Speaker 3: It's now worth a fortune and up.
Speaker 1: Until recently he ran election yep, but well it did it.
Speaker 2: Well, now it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's worth a fortune now right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: There was also a horrible clusterfuck in the industry called the New Century Network, and the newspaper industry got together the top twelve companies and we were going to start a way to sign into all newspapers across the country at once and subscribe at once and sell adworks across and it could have been a real thing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: This is the same time that Yahoo's pretty up news and AOL's pretty up. They could have done this. What stopped them? So half the company along came Kleiner Perkins and they said, this is a good idea. We want to invest in this. We want to make this scale and be big. Half the newspaper publishers said, how dare you you can get a piece of our business? No, absolutely not, because we're too valuable. You're just a PENMANI line.
Speaker 2: So it seems like that is the shit problem.
Speaker 3: None of it's male CEOs again, so I don't like Jensen.
Speaker 2: Huang very much, but one of his things he would say is like, always act like you're going out of business. I'm surprised more newspapers don't do that for more obvious reasons. But I don't know if I agree with you about the conversation pop. I don't actually think doing right now. I know, but like this isn't how you run a newspaper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd agree, And I think there needs to be a way to be able to make news and journalism profitable, and that doesn't exist at all scales and for all companies.
Speaker 2: Doesn't exist at scale. I think might be the problem.
Speaker 3: Scales the problem. Yeah, scale before the mechanization and industrialization to print poor. Paris has heard me say this one hundred times. In the mid eighteen fifties, the average circulation of a daily newspaper in the United States was four thousand. Interesting, it was only with a mechanization distributed because you had to pull with the human muscle.
Speaker 2: So you have a local printing press right to print local, and you can only print so many and that distribution of four thousand people a small town or something, or even.
Speaker 3: In New York and New York in nineteen hundred. By this time you had a half century of the steam powered press, and you had the linotype, and you had other things come in. Then you had scale come up. But still in New York City, including Brooklyn, in nineteen hundred, there were forty six daily newspapers hu That is to say that they spoke at a different and human scale. Broadcast killed all that. Broadcast came along, and you had one or maybe two papers in a town, and they thought they could serve everybody. They thought that scale was the only goal. That we are the mass. It's growth, and it was a lie. People realize pretty soon this doesn't speak to me.
Speaker 2: It's because none of these people, like many businesses in tech as well are capable of saying we've grown enough if there is a The Athletic was better as an independent from the Times. But I forget you said this, Eliot. It's like, the reason The Times is picking up this stuff is because of The Times is actual brand. Maybe in case it the Times, this brand is like falling apart, and it sucks because the actual lessons recently that I've seen in media are fairly straightforward. It's what if we had interesting people doing unique stuff. What if we then had them cover something that happened right, and then they'd write it down some sort of like analysis I think I'd call it, and then at the end of it you'd be like, Wow, I know who this person was. I know who this person and I heard them talk and I like their voice. The last week at CES twenty people interviewed I'm not just doing a thing about me, don't worry. But the thing I got through it is there are so many reporters who are so much more charming than their bylines. And it's not a failure of their writing. It's a failure of the outlets. It's a failure of the form it used to be. At least. I don't know much about the history of media, but I remember there being a lot more opinion people in tech yet Eric Bendroff here, Arthur Brayer think is still around. But you had, like David Pogan, these people. I'm not saying that they were perfect. In fact, I have some views about some of the specifically m there was still something to the popularity of having a real voice and having a real person and that person being white, and you, as a news out there were like shit, I got to keep these names and I got to make sure they can talk. And the times it's like, well, who do we do for that? Who is the most insane person? Do we have a transphob Oh, don't worry, we have a whole day based those You have any insane warhawks?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Please? That's the other database that we spent fifty million dollars on. We had to lay off a few people. We needed to know the people who would put the most troops in California Paris.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you something. The information is really good. I pay for it same discount, though, I'm we had to say, and it works as a business, Yes, now it works because there's reporting like yours that's valuable, that is specialized and covers technology and the society and business around it. Really, well, why is there not an the information in areas on the same model? Political one might say, is that political's crap.
Speaker 2: Politico is just conservative news.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's awful, right, but heretically it should be the information of politics, but it's not. I can't think of any the information of.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think the answer is a little multifaceted one. I think when Jessica Lesson, our founder, she used to work at the Wall Street Journal, founded The Information a bit over a decade ago, everyone thought she was crazy, like there's a bunch of very funny to read now blogs from Business Insider being like this crazy lady wants you to pay a couple hundred dollars for a subscription to a website with news on it. Who would ever do that? And I think that it took a while for people in the media industry to come around the idea of a truly hard paywall and creating content that is worth paying for and sticking by that. I also think it's that's because there are obvious trade offs. The reach of the information is much smaller than a Politico because you can't get around our paywalls, and it doesn't need to be huge, and it doesn't need to be huge because it is self sustaining.
Speaker 2: I also think there's another detail. She founded this in twenty thirteen. At the end of twenty thirteen, so everyone was still high on the hog as far as ads, when the ads industry had not, it hadn't become as difficult. Also, I say this with no offense to your Paris. Jessica is also well known as being well connected with the Zuckerbergs and also well known for being and there are times with the information where the tone shifts and it is a little more rah rah. I think is the fair thing. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing.
Speaker 3: Maybe just charitable.
Speaker 2: No, the podcast I'm thinking of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, the podcast is a Jessica Lesson podcast.
Speaker 2: Also, it's not a report. Some of the ways that AI things are framed are not necessarily critical. Not certainly every outlet has biased. I'm also I cite the information all the time.
Speaker 1: I think that there's a bit of a difference between some of our newsletters or podcasts or opinion stuff versus reporting.
Speaker 2: But agreed, you've got some of the best, like Anissa Goez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have fantastic people to do fantastic work. And I think part of what you're getting at here with comments with Jeska is also what made this work is she had like it was self funded. She didn't need to take on venture capital to start it, and that meant that it could grow at its own pace versus I have worked at a total of three places in my about a decade of a journalism career. The first two I got laid off from. The first one was well, I guess other places. The first two staff jobs I had I got laid off from. One was a place called The Outline that raised venture capital and then quickly ran out of it because it spent too much money on silly things.
Speaker 2: Favorite game found an outlet, lose the money, walke away.
Speaker 1: You know it's a great Uh, we'll see listen as long as people get paid. And the other one was Wired, which is part of Conde Nast, which was going through its own growing pains because it has a bunch of print publications and is largely supported by sabridizing always fucking growth pain.
Speaker 2: It's just they must be bigger and the best work like one of the things that has made the rise of newsletters happen, in my opinion, and indeed this show, is that people are kind of tired of the standard big box thing. They're tired of these kind of every major publication really drains the life out of and I don't I think even smaller publications do. They standardize the copy. And I realize you can't have everyone beer as being a sloppy blog worm like me, but it feels like the publications really investing in allowing the person behind the thing to talk are doing well. And gadget we had a tounnel them on the show and they've done a really bloody good job in their coverage and in their podcast actually bringing the personality out. You got Sherlin Low, You've got the Bingja Hardawa, You've got Carrissa Bell, and these people are fun and varied, indifferent, and I wish that there was more of that in journalism. But I also think it's why people turning away from legacy media.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you another question, do you yourself or do you ever hear any colleagues say I'm glad I have a salary, but I wish I had a little more fame or a little more impact or a little more presence.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't think of any examples, but I.
Speaker 2: Or even like Piz when I.
Speaker 1: I'll give you this when I was deciding whether or not to go to the Information versus a couple of other places. I called it my mentor at the time, and I was like, oh, if I go to the information, well, I like fade away into obscurity behind the paywall. It's a terrible career move. And he was like, rightfully, he was like, Paris, there are two groups of people that you care about reading your work, if we're being honest, one is other journalists and the other people that work in tech. Both of those groups subscribed to the information, You're going to be fine. And I think that that is the way that a lot of people at our.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I love that. Listen.
Speaker 1: It's a practical way of thinking about it.
Speaker 2: A careerism. Yeah, yes, careers feel like you do. I am actually pushing back. I think you actually give a big shit about your readers.
Speaker 1: I do give a huge ship about my readers.
Speaker 2: Just want to make sure that the pigs on ready don't come and argue with you about because it doesn't seem like that's your point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, my I care a lot about my readers and things like that. But part of the thing, I guess, if you're talking about larger career moves wise like those are the two groups you need to think about. Potential sources and potential like colleagues and the work. Yes, good doing, good work. If part of my calculation for going to a place like the Information is despite the limits of being behind a hard paywall, it's one of the few places I think that exist in media still where I get to just do like I spent a month on that sniffy story. I spent a month on most of my stories.
Speaker 2: That is cool and read is a very focused My.
Speaker 1: Readers are very focused.
Speaker 2: They read.
Speaker 1: We have an incredible like read through rate, and it I don't know, that's really cool, actually quite nice to be able to to be at a place where you can do that sort of focus. But I don't think that that exists. That exists infrequently at scale.
Speaker 2: I think at scale as well, you have the problem of you do have those deep readers, but you also have the people who saw the headline, they scroll down, they see a name, they're like they just hit retweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me ask you in your other life PR.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So I talked to an executive at one of the big tech companies and he said, how do we get our message out at scale? I said, you don'te anymore? And then I talked to a guy who worked just left a big PR company. I'll leave them most nameless for now, and he said, oh, yeah, the PR industry is all about getting on tech meme and and where you get the publications.
Speaker 2: That's a guy. That's a guy who hasn't pitched anyone and fucking ever. So you ever hear a guy be like you canna be on tech? Mean, that's a person who does not talk to journalists. I know it's important for jendalists. I don't think it's that important.
Speaker 3: Are the clients is what I'm saying, Kinds don't give a ship. That's what's That's where I'm going is is where's the so? Where is what are they value? Now?
Speaker 2: So what it is is like I actually got this last week. It's like, what are your clients like? And it's the smart clients. The money I take are the ones that know they have a good story and also know they don't know how to get to journalists because there's one thousand PR people per Do they need the journalists still, Yes, absolutely they do because at the moment, right now, there may be a lack of trust in legacy media, but people still trust media in general. I bring up Steve from Gamers Nexus, million plus subscriber coffee Zilla on YouTube. Now, I'm not saying those that even be PR targets, but Linus tech Tips absolutely would and indeed has worked with people I've worked with. People still need to get through, but the thing that has changed is there's a lot less journalists who are just willing to run anything unless it's for open AI. By the way, I'm just going to do this. There is a two tiered system within the media right now. And the reason we have Meta and the reason we have Elon Musk, and the reason we have these things is partially to blame for the fact that startups actually really have to p if they're worth. It's remarkable one of the reasons I have a fucking career in PR. And it's frustrating because you'll be like, hey, I got a they do a really good thing, they make money like school, and they're like, yeah, but yeah, but like did they raise like more money though, and like I don't know if I want to write it, but someone is just a good idea and then they will post an open AI thing that is like a feature that my toaster has, and it's just And the problem is is that I understand when you're as these outlets somehow get bigger, but they have less people. You have to do more stuff, so you just have to go, oh shit, what is the public good? What does everyone want to know about? Open eye, anthropic what have you? And that makes sense. But to your point, startups kind of need PR as much as they used to. Big tech also does too, because right now all of the big tech companies they're playing the same game, which is well, Donald Trump's in the White House, and uh, the writer's winning. So I don't give a shit about fuck. I'm just gonna say whatever I want. And indeed, the two tid system I talked about the reason that Sam Altman has been able to lie at scale and Elon Musk has been allowed like a scale for ten years is because the system that operates against these series A and I don't say this with any bitterness, by the way, everyone should be held to this standard. Everyone with the media should have to prove themselves. But someone like Meta, someone like Tesla, they come along and say whatever the fuck they want and it gets printed even to this day with the test the robot of them. So you're in this situation where media relations, why don't skim journalous to cover stuff? Is very important? And then there's the other problem, which is about fifteen years ago when I got into this job, people started writing articles called media relations is dead. Why because talking to reporters all day and learning everything they do, and know what you're talking about, what they're talking about, what's happened in the world, and then being able to take that and put it into a smart thought including the client. That's actually pretty difficult. And PR people are lazy animals. They love to sit around and send emails and write documents. They're about as functional as sandapieshay as. They're just meeting goers. If you're a PR person, I've been saying that. I've been saying that you need to change your ass for years, except now I have a microphone. I hope you're upset, long story, shrecked, get absolutely ragged, bodied, etc. You can talk about me on your podcast if anyone would listen. But the point I'm making is PR is necessary, but it's also killing itself and the biggest clients are becoming so weird about it that they'll have PR. But then like, why is the media not saying everything we want them to say? And it's because the media doesn't just copy paste things. They may write down exactly what you say with the bigger companies, but journalists have brains and we'll hear stuff now and go wait, what the fuck does that mean? And even with open AI they're finally learning it. It's just that when that happens, you're going to need the media relations people. Except the PR industry Go on Google, media relations is dead. They've been killing them for fifteen years. It's hilarious. It's like the one fun job in this industry.
Speaker 1: It's extremely easy to do bad PR and extremely hard to do good PR.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are times when I get an email offering me an interview and one time I just want to take it, just to say so that afterwards the person says, well, what's this audience? So he doesn't have any audience.
Speaker 2: The thing is that a twenty three year old who works seventeen hour days is going to get fired because they're going to lose their sub lease on an eight person, one bedroom.
Speaker 1: It's I probably got ten weird PR pitches that are completely unrelated to me while we've been sitting here.
Speaker 3: You still get them, even though I still get all the time.
Speaker 2: And I love the PR people who pitch me because it's block people I do too, but so and that's this is the weird things. While there's like this whole PR industry just spams people that'd be making fun of for like my entire career and getting in zero trouble because they're all cowards. And it's just it's frustrating because we're just describing industries run by people who don't understand the process, Like how do you run a good news out there? I don't know good news and make sure that people making.
Speaker 3: Sure it has value in people's lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's this drain of personality from everything. The information is fairly straightforward, but you have some specifics. You have some who is it that emails me every day? Pisses me off? Martin Piers, Yeah, yeah, but that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's a newsletter and.
Speaker 2: He loves that's.
Speaker 1: Kind of his job to piss you off.
Speaker 2: I am actually saying this. I get pissed off with it regularly. I read it every time.
Speaker 1: Jeff gets pissed off.
Speaker 3: I get mad at once.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing. At the very least, he fucking stands for something. Why would people go I don't know. Why would people go to influencers who don't necessarily run their facts very well or at all? And the answer is because they can't.
Speaker 3: I got a question for you. So you saw Lisa uh Ruben, not Lisa Ribbon, jenn Ribbon.
Speaker 2: It's also my show. I'm kidding thing Jennifer Ruben.
Speaker 3: Jennifer Rubin left the Washington Post right and she started a new substack newsletter.
Speaker 2: The Contrarian.
Speaker 3: The Contrarian? Oh god, what is it about Substack? How does it that now it's textile? Is that we all know that tech is but the Substack has its own Nazi yeah problems And why does everybody still go there?
Speaker 2: I actually think it's the thing we've been talking about that's just some legacy media shit. They're like, why do people come to the newspaper only for Jennifer Ruben and the series of bland right wing people that have found a way to pretend they're liberals, and they're like, well, why do people read the paper for me? Why they read it? And the thing they hate about the media right now is it's not contrarian enough, Like it's just this is exactly the kind of shit that the legacy media institution would do. It's what happened in twenty twenty one when The Atlantic had like eight different newsletters and then didn't treat them any differently. Heart take Factory, but no, god, it's the Atlantic. It's luke warm take factory, cry baby shit. And it's or just like anti Palestine shit, which is disgusting anyway. Get we'll get to that on the other show where everyone gets mad at me. But the point is it's just the same fucking wheel turning. It's people going shit, what do people do? What are big now? What big newsletter they send those? What if we all got together and combined our audiences of people that barely read us and do not look at the facts or really care, but they like sharing it with their other vacuous friends. Except make it DC, it's not going to work very much.
Speaker 3: You are tired of subscription upon subscription upon subscription.
Speaker 2: They've got like George Conway in there. They have George Conway. I didn't even know. I didn't even know. I just guessed the like it worse.
Speaker 3: They have Andy Burrowitz. Oh fucking know.
Speaker 2: I was not pro censorship before this show, but now I am actually really bro I don't put any links to anything if it keeps borrow Its out in my feed. Oh my god, that's the proper reaction. Oh my god, I hate Andy Burrows but it's paris. I'm actually like, really glad you were here specifically representing the information though having your own opinions, just being cliff legal disclaimer because you kind of I have my issues with how the Information does business and some internal ones that I will not read, but it's it still works. It works, and the journalism is like very very good. And Lisa god, he's in another person I can't remember the name of a link to it. In the episode No, it's they had this incredible story about nvideos like has people canceling orders, and Anissa is super young, yeah, like in her twenties, and she's just getting this shit all the time. She's had so much of it. The fact that you have this happening is proof that this model works.
Speaker 1: And that I mean, it's proof that journalism can still exist and it sells.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and it sells and it matters, and the real people doing it matter. And it's frustrating because I don't think anyone is learning this lesson very well.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot of outlets are now trying to pivot to a more subscription heavy modeled. The Atlantic is one of them.
Speaker 4: Live the Verge, I mean, possibly want to miss Alex Heath, fucking I'm such a bitch, But it's but the Verge is actually the example I think of doing it wrong, because the Verge is very much like, we're now going to pay wall stuff you weren't paying for, and it's like, okay, well now.
Speaker 2: The reader will be pissed off. And you have great people like Kylie Robson, one of the best journalists in the field, incredible and Misato as well too, incredible journalists. Paywalling them hurts them far more than I think they realized. How about give make give them more money and then let them write private stuff. Put the private stuff in the private make it worthwhile at least try. But no, it's we're going to pay war what Tom, Tom Moore and annx Heath.
Speaker 1: Make it so that at least readers feel like if they're paying, they're getting access to something new. Yeah, something that they Yeah, it's a you are paying to access something rather than being restricted.
Speaker 2: And is that money going into more journalism?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd assume it's going into making so that vox media doesn't collapse in and of itself.
Speaker 3: It's the last resort business model.
Speaker 2: And the thing is you can make it a deal with the customer. You could be like, if we gave you more, and now it's like, what if we gave you less and you you put out reporters who have built relationships with readers in a free environment and then say and no, it's gone, and you'll get cited less. I cite paywalled stuff all the time, but like you will be cited less because people on social media will be like, oh, I never pay gave link for the no pig No not everything pay pig model. It's just frustrating because it could actually be better. But I think the actual answer is everything needs to be smaller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean it's just like, how do we get to that. We a lot of ruin and destruction. I don't really think we.
Speaker 2: Can Defector four or four after math. The answer is that and actually.
Speaker 1: And those came out of ruin and destruction in the case of Defector and four O four specifically there you know, sites were shut down, they were laid off, and from the ashes, rows of worker supported go up.
Speaker 2: So Jeff final question to wrap us up. Do you think that there could be a future for journalism where it's kind of a return to the I don't mean literally four thousand readers, but a return to that kind of old thing where it's just it is more distributed.
Speaker 3: I hope. So I want to see media at a human scale. I've spent the last ten years of my career I kind of accidentally chronically in what I think is the end of the long century of mass media. And what does that mean? Well, first, it's a confession, because I devoted my career to mass media, right I worked for being Publications and I wrote about television, and I recognize now the bankruptcy of that. And so I think that we've got to return to, as I say, media human scale. And it's going to be a messy transition.
Speaker 2: It already is.
Speaker 3: It already is, And I don't have the answers to every business model of how to get there. The information is one. There are a few others out there, and I think that we're going to grow new sprouts out of the ashes. For a long time, especially working in a journalism school, I had to be I think I presumed I had to be nice to the likes of the New York Times. Right, fuck them, I mean. And let's be clear, there is still good report of the New York Times. I did a good Times hashtag about vaccinations only yesterday. Their institution though, the but the well, the culture right now is trying to piss off the people, the last people who are loyal to them.
Speaker 2: And who would that be? Just to be clear that liberals, okay, liberals.
Speaker 3: Jay Rosen in twenty eighteen wrote that, hmm, the New York Times primary support now has shifted from advertising to subscription. This is going to change the relationship of the Times newsroom to its public. And he wasn't saying how, But now I think the way it is is that I think the Times is saying, see, we pissed you off. You don't own us, even though we depend upon you for money, You don't own us.
Speaker 2: Kankey style yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: If Steinberger where the publisher of The New York Times might as well be. So I'm at the point now giving up on big old media. The newspaper chains are almost all run by hedge funds. Broadcast as geriatric magazines are dying. I wrote a book about that too. The major national media is getting it from all sides. Costco is going to stop selling books. Hollywood is a mess. Linear cable televisions are getting left off because they have cooties. That's old big mass media. It is a disaster all around. So what interests me? Instead? My students go to They don't want to go to places like that. They want to go to things that are doing new things like documentars or City Bureau or places like that. They're building a new ecosystem out there. It's going to be Bessie. A lot of things will fail, but some will succeed. Like Paris's the Information So.
Speaker 2: Paris, where can people find you?
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter if you're still using that site at Paris Martina, or better on Blue Sky at NYC. I'm also published at the Information regularly. It's the Information dot Com.
Speaker 2: Had the story about sniffies. Yes, I'll link it in the notes. Mister Jeff Dope, Professor Jeff Jeff. Where can people find you?
Speaker 3: I'm at Jeff Jervis everywhere, too many places, and then at Jeffjervis dot com. You can buy my books.
Speaker 2: Please buy the books. I've been so this has been so much fun and like the first real radio Better Offline, it's been so much fun. Thank you both for being here. Thank you to our producer of course, Daniel Goodman. You've been listening to Better Offline. I'm your chief pig. Mister Zitron. You'll know where to find me. You're already listening to my words. I just want to repeat to everyone who sat through the Cees show, thank you again. We will do it next year and we're already planning to add a new guest, a stand up comic, and then I'm not gonna name yet, but she's going to be absolutely incredible. Thank you again for listening. Everyone. You know where to find me, and you're going to hear a very old message after this, some of you're going to be very fair about. Thank you for listening. Thank you for listening to Better Offline. The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Matasowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at Matasowski dot com, M A T T O S O W s Ki dot com. You can email me at easy at better offline dot com or visit better offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course, my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot Where's youreed dot at to visit the discord, and go to our slash Better Offline to check out our reddit. Thank you so much for listening. Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.