Speaker 1: But I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, Your presences presents enough.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, no gifts. Temperature wineger. We're in the backyards. This is a rare occasion. We're out here. The sun is slowly raising the temperature. I'm going to be uncomfortable. Ah, what's going on? I have three buckets of gravel to move in the driveway, which is you know. I'm saving that for myself, a little special something for later. It's nice to have something to live for. And I have weekend plans. So that's my weekend plan, is moving three buckets of gravel. Or maybe I won't. Maybe I'll let us sit there for three more weeks and then I'll get wet from the rain, and then I'll have to wait again. This is the this is my life, this is what we're doing. I'm living at one hundred miles per hour. The birds are loud. I don't think there's any business we have to talk about, which is incredible. We should just get into the podcast. I love today's guest. It's Rachel Kayley. Rachel, welcome to I said no gifts, thanks so much. How are you feeling about the temperature so far?
Speaker 4: Well, there was just a breeze that was quite nice, but I'm definitely not looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: This is actually not too uh. It's a nice little refresher every few minutes.
Speaker 4: It's completely lovely when it happens. When it's not happening, it's not amazing.
Speaker 3: You're kind of just begging for it to come back. Yeah, what have you been doing this week?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? Well, the truth is I'm spending a lot of time on my phone, which I'm sure. Yeah, Unfortunately, I'm allowing myself to Oh and I'm not meaning to plug right up top. Okay, but I am in season two of Jury Duty.
Speaker 3: But that's why you have to get on there and you have to post clips. You've got to post things. You've got a career.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm letting myself look and refresh, look and refresh all hours, hours hours.
Speaker 3: Are you looking for the likes likes follows?
Speaker 4: Is it from a verified account? Is someone dming me to tell me something amazing? Do they have something mean to say? Looking at comments at times?
Speaker 3: Have there been any mean things?
Speaker 4: Definitely?
Speaker 3: Do you interact with mean people?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't mind it, like I would like to, But the issue is I don't know if they will then come for me. Like I'm like, it's a little like when you're yelling at someone from a car and you're like, do they have a gun?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 4: That's how I feel about interacting with mean comments.
Speaker 3: Right. If it was like an even back and forth of meanness, that would be fine. Yeah, Like, yeah, that's what I worry about sometimes too. If I go back at them, then God knows what they have planned.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're just waiting for the dam to burst.
Speaker 3: Right, and they have full access to attack. Yeah, and I can only kind of just comment.
Speaker 4: Back, right, Have you had a mean really mean?
Speaker 3: Oh? I get lots of mean things, but I never interact. I mean, I kind of the feeling of power for me is to make that person just feel unbelievably alone in the world by not getting any response.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I just want to talk to them all face to face.
Speaker 3: That would be nice because I think.
Speaker 4: You know, it's the anonymity that is an issue, but also no worries.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I think contributes to some of this is some people. I think some people know they're being made. Some people are absolutely horrible. Yeah, some people just do not know how to process their thoughts through writing, right, And so I think that they're just like this seems like a fine thing to say to another person, because they don't really know how to modulate. They're new to journaling truly, because most people are bad at writing. Ye, bad at just I mean like typing, you know, like like that. Yeah, they're bad at that. Like they barely made it through high school. And so then they get online and they have access to be able to write things, but they never really figured it.
Speaker 4: Out, right, I mean absolutely, the democratization of it all. Who's to say if it's for good.
Speaker 3: I think it's ultimately for the adis of their worst.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're just gonna have to see, I think.
Speaker 3: I think, well, I think we're going to see probably sooner than later. I know. I think it's like we're finally coming to a head a little bit with some thing is gonna break, Yeah, but I don't know what's next.
Speaker 4: It's like when you're in a video game and the thing breaks and you have to jump to the next thing. I wonder what the next thing is.
Speaker 3: Right, Like the little thing is like in the lava and that you jump on it, and it's like you've got three seconds and you have to get to the next thing exactly. I think God knows how long that'll last or might be a really long platform walk.
Speaker 4: I mean, who's to say. That's what it's feeling like more and more every day.
Speaker 3: Right, So you're online, you're looking for the likes, You're looking for the verified users. We all know verified users now are almost meaningless nothing.
Speaker 4: I'm looking these guys have four hundred ninety seven followers. I'm gonna kill myself. That's horrible.
Speaker 3: At four hundred followers, Why do you decide I now need to be verified?
Speaker 4: Well, I am looking at them because the digress is just like here, so it's bringing eyes. But it is like, I don't understand. I don't know the point myself.
Speaker 3: Because it brings eyes. But then the person looking at you is now just annoyed with you and thinks even less of you as a person. Right, It's never like, Wow, look at these horrible photos they took of their family. I've got to get on board with this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just like I don't understand, but I am. I'm doing a deep dive. A lot of them have businesses, they're trying.
Speaker 3: To start right right, but again it's just like difficult. Just make a decent business, take some decent photos and game the system that way. Imagine do they hand out verification at this point or is it all purchased?
Speaker 4: No, you can. Not to brag, but I got it. But I applied. I was like, this is like I had been applying for years. I had a similar thing with Rayah, the dating app, where I did it way too early. I applied to Rya in twenty sixteen college.
Speaker 3: Those were like that's when they may have had celebrities on there.
Speaker 4: Well exactly, And I just was like, well, I'm doing comedy in New York, so let me give it a shot. And now I can't get on it.
Speaker 3: Why can't you get it?
Speaker 4: Because I tried to early and they won't let me like update, even though I add referrals of like, you know, right, real people, they're not. They're like, oh, she's too desperate.
Speaker 3: It's like a one time thing.
Speaker 4: Well it's not supposed to be. I don't understand what the issue is. But I did have that thing with Instagram too, where I kept because they asked for like news.
Speaker 3: Articles about it. Right, It's very odd, and I kept.
Speaker 4: Putting in the same ones because there were no new ones coming up for many years and they were just like stop. But they finally gave it.
Speaker 3: But those were news articles. What was the problem with those ones?
Speaker 4: Well, they were written about me when I was like quite young.
Speaker 3: Oh so they would have verified you as a child. Yeah, yeah, or now an Instagram teen right, exactly. I would love to have an Instagram teen account. It sounds like so much fun.
Speaker 4: I need, like I need guardrails.
Speaker 3: I think everyone does. Yeah, I think that I've said this before. I feel like there should be some sort of test and then maybe you like get certain powers for sure, and like certain abilities.
Speaker 4: To use like posting or even like.
Speaker 3: Posting, commenting, liking, sharing, because earn it. Yeah, you have to earn it. Not everybody knows how to do it. No, not everyone should be trusted with that response.
Speaker 4: But I feel grateful for the people who don't know how to do it and still do it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: They're more fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Yes, Like that's what all my reels are I guess it's like people turning on the camera forgetting I see you know, yeah, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: The reels that I enjoy most are probably people who would not pass the test, right exactly, Then what am I looking at? My competent friends? Yes, and that's anything to do with it.
Speaker 4: No one watches any.
Speaker 3: Of this, No, absolutely no. They will want to see someone, you know, kind of losing their mind in the mid West exactly. Yeah, that's I'm sorry to hear. Are you going to get back off once the promotion cycle's over.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what's going to happen to me. I don't know what to say. I don't know. I really don't know. I've been thinking about this.
Speaker 3: What were you doing prior to I was trying.
Speaker 4: To curb my usage. I had like deleted TikTok, Twitter's gone, But now it's all back right and I'm on it and I feel crazy. And then I saw this study that just came out that shows like even two weeks off your phone like makes your brain like ten times healthier.
Speaker 3: Do we believe it?
Speaker 4: I'm believing it. They had him like hooked up to all this stuff they were testing, like his reaction time right went up twenty three percent. Oh my god after two weeks, and I'm like, well, I think I need that.
Speaker 3: Right, that could become like a pro baseball player. Yeah, exactly, Maybe I'll consider it. It's the thing where you're like, but what if something? If I miss something, and you will, You'll miss the best days of your life on Instagram.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's tough, but I'm trying to get back out into the world.
Speaker 3: What do you do to get back out into the world.
Speaker 4: This is my issue. I used to have hobbies like what I did Pottery Okay, that's a real I did painting Okay, oh wow, mo sayn I was that good at it. But it took up a lot of my time.
Speaker 3: Right, I would walk, Okay, that's ours. It's not I'm not going to qualify, but it took up a lot of my time.
Speaker 4: Those were kind of it.
Speaker 3: Those are I mean, you named two solid hobbies. That's more than I have. Really, you have no hobbies, not currently, No, nobody have soil or gravel. I've got oh I forgot I carry buckets. Yeah, but Instagram takes up all my time. Otherwise I would be constantly.
Speaker 4: Carrying is the gravel for like gardening, Like, what's the deal.
Speaker 3: It's the backyard. Our dog destroyed our lawn. You have a dog and she's the best, but she has you know, she's like a raptor, and so she destroyed the entire lawn by when we were playing fetch so and we needed to get rid of the lawn anyway, Los Angeles. So now it's like pebbles. But the landscapers left me extra pebbles and they said, do you want us to put these somewhere? And I don't know what was going through my mind when I said, oh, don't worry because they're each like eighty pounds.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: So now they're just sitting there and just kind of making me feel bad all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, you could sell those on Facebook, Marketplace easy.
Speaker 3: Probably can't get it today. But then when I need the pebbles, what do I do?
Speaker 4: Well, then I don't know how to help you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to face a life where I don't have extra pebbles lying around.
Speaker 4: Now, did you choose all these plants?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: These when I bought the house. This is how it was.
Speaker 4: I have to say, you're telling me stuff that is amazing to hear and you'll see why later.
Speaker 3: Oh incredible. Okay, so this kind of happens on this podcast sometimes. Really, there's something, there's something, you know. I think we've talked simulation to death, but there's something about this podcast. It feels like someone's pushing buttons. Oh yeah, gouting things in line. I mean, the things this podcast is predicted.
Speaker 4: I really like what. Oh my god, I'm sure the pandemic. Yeah, I believe that it's like the Simpsons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very much like the Simpsons.
Speaker 4: I've never seen You've.
Speaker 3: Never seen the Simpsons. No, wow, you've seen clips.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: When I was a kid and my we always watched Seinfeld, but the Simpsons came on after Seinfeld, so I would see like the first two minutes and then get scared and turn it off.
Speaker 3: You get scared.
Speaker 4: I find animation very scary, and I've mostly worked in animation, and I find it completely terrifying.
Speaker 3: What's so frightening about it?
Speaker 2: For you?
Speaker 4: The issue is that, to me, animation is like mainlining someone else's brain, because it's like the only time you can see exactly what someone sees in their brain.
Speaker 3: Wow, oh my god.
Speaker 4: That to me is like looking at the stars.
Speaker 3: Really fascinating thing. Yeah, I've never thought of, but I mean, I guess that's art. Do you just freak out?
Speaker 4: I think because I think as animation moves.
Speaker 3: Right, it's things move in someone's mind.
Speaker 4: I really don't like it.
Speaker 3: Is there any animation, like what's your favorite animated thing?
Speaker 4: There was a period of time in college where I was like just so mentally ill that I couldn't watch shows that had anything I could relate to. Okay, so like any any relationship stuff, or like money or like sad family stuff. So I watched kids shows, right, and I got really into the Backyard against.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm not familiar.
Speaker 4: Well why would you be. It's a show for kids created not so long ago. But it's gorgeous and they're singing and they're so happy, and it's animals that are living I think in New York City. They play in the backyard.
Speaker 3: They rare backyard art rich New York City.
Speaker 4: They all live in different houses.
Speaker 3: They Now the concept of the show is kind of falling apart for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, it was a while ago.
Speaker 3: Like other animals, they're not elevant creatures.
Speaker 4: No, No, they're it's like cow cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very cute.
Speaker 4: Rhyo, maybe, Oh they're so cute.
Speaker 3: And that was the end of animation for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's pretty much. I definitely watched it as a kid, but like it did it always carry That's.
Speaker 3: Such a good point. That's really fascinating. Yeah, that's something I think you learn like really early on of like this thing, I'm looking at me like it may not look the same to me as somebody else. Yes, and now you've really brought this into a whole full circle thing. Yeah, wow, magical.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: It's it's interesting power of animation, the power of art.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I find it scary.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you've but you have given up on painting yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to get back in to it a bit. I'm trying to get back into anything that like is not something I can monetize basically, right, But then I have sold my artwork before. Oh well, it was like a desperate thing during COVID when I had no work and people were being quite generous.
Speaker 3: What sort of art is in.
Speaker 4: The pottery is pretty poorly made, kind of like weird shapes, right, like you know, three legged planters. When that was like fun in twenty nineteen and then the paintings. It started because I would go to paint and sip, okay, sure, and then I would start getting crazy. I would add silly.
Speaker 3: Stuff upon sipping. Is that no sipping.
Speaker 4: I'm not going there to sip. I'm going there to paint. I'm one of the only sober people there usually like a bachelorette party. And then me sober painting nine to eleven onto the sunset that we were instructed to make. So then I just got into painting right right.
Speaker 3: Because also pottery was your journey into painting.
Speaker 4: No, they ran congruentut okay.
Speaker 3: And was there any of that before, like in high school or anything?
Speaker 4: I had always well, I also embroider.
Speaker 3: I like crafts okay. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got a little into furniture building.
Speaker 3: During cool You're very handy.
Speaker 4: I like to be handy.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: There was a moment also not to keep talking about COVID so interesting.
Speaker 3: I think people are craving it.
Speaker 4: Okay, great, just to bring it back. I got into a woodworking school, okay. And I would have gone and lived in Vermont for.
Speaker 3: Two years, oh my god.
Speaker 4: And it was like it felt like the perfect time because it was like you know whatever, And then I ultimately decided not to at the last minute to continue making videos, but I regret it. But I was really like I had sort of taught myself everything I could teach myself wood working wise, and wanted to.
Speaker 3: And were you learning like through YouTube? Was that how you were doing it?
Speaker 4: I would I would say, how ye wasn't even YouTube like it was really dangerous And what were you making? I made a like a stool that I had tiled. I tiled stool myself when that was kind of a big trend. I made a waterfall stool. Oh never quite supported much weight, but was pretty.
Speaker 3: More for a child or something.
Speaker 4: I made a couple of tables.
Speaker 3: Okay, where were you putting all of this?
Speaker 4: I was they were small. But I had a friend who was a painter, and so I would go to her studio and it was like just like sort of a studio for any discipline. So they had a lot of like different things you could use and store and make, and so I would use like power tools there, which I had no like it was I almost cut stuff off.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, professionals constantly cut stuff off alone. Somebody just starting off right, and.
Speaker 4: It was like I'd be like, oh yeah, like I get you know, I'd do it with no mask, no goggles, and then I'd be.
Speaker 3: Like oh right, yeah, and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: I was trying. I tried to do some like stuff where I wanted to like freeze stuff in resin, which is extremely dangerous, just the chemicals, like if it's not ventilated well, and I was like heating it up what you're not supposed to. I was just trying stuff, right, So you know, I would like to get back into the spirit of that.
Speaker 3: And how did you apply to the Wood School? Did you have to show them photos or.
Speaker 4: I sent photos of the stuff I had made? And I have to imagine I wrote an essay.
Speaker 3: That would have been such a turn for you.
Speaker 4: I know I'm regretting it. I'm regretting it, but it's also like, I don't know, actually it's just regret. It's just regret. It would have been so awesome. I think I'd be so much happier.
Speaker 3: Right, you probably, I mean, let's be honest, you would have.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think, no question anyone in comedy if they just would pick up a skill and just make things, Yeah, probably feels better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it could be on Instagram. Well, and ultimately woodworkers are posting their stuff to Instagram at times. Right, it depends who you are.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, there's a you know, there's a whole you can kind of turn anything into a thing that hurts you. At this point, it just kind of keeps you on that just it's nice to know you have that option. Sure, and you get bored of just being satisfied with yourself, you can kind of open it up to the pub beg for their approval.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 3: Well, look, you've already brought it up. I mean, you hinted at something, and I guess we should just talk about it. Now. What is it you were going to you're here on I said, no gifts. I was looking forward to having you. So I was thrown when you kind of trotted into the backyard holding this gorgeous chanel bag. Oh sure, flung over your shoulder. Yes, is this a gift for me?
Speaker 4: Well, it's pretty much is pretty much.
Speaker 3: Is Should we open it here on the podcast?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little bit of an experience.
Speaker 3: Oh, we rarely get an experience gift on this I think there have been very few. There was indoor skydiving.
Speaker 4: Oh no, nothing like that this is contained and barely an experience.
Speaker 3: And I'll also say the indoor skydiving place has closed down.
Speaker 4: Oh really, so you don't exact me.
Speaker 3: No, I went and then they were probably like, that's we're done, shut it down.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: But I think that, Elise, that's probably the one experience that I've had on this podcast.
Speaker 4: Right, Did that make you want to go real skydiving?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Would you?
Speaker 4: I want to try indoor. I don't think I would do real skydiving, but there's a part of me that could see myself doing it.
Speaker 3: Indoor is fine. It was very fun. It was a good time. But I mean I've said this before, but doing real skydiving, I really think that like primal animal instinct in me would become so strong when they're about to jump out that I would like fight off the person that's attached to me. Yeah, and then cause my day. So I just like I can't trust my lizard brain. What about klonopin, No, I don't even think that. I think my body, every chemical in my body would overcome that. Okay, and then I would die and kill someone else?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, kill profess I had I was I went to the Madonna In for the first time. And I had a couple of weeks ago and I had a waiter who just kept coming over to ask me questions about my life. I loved him. And on about the fourth round he was like, have you ever gone skydiving? And I said no, and he said he had just done it and he was going for his sixth run this week and he wanted to get certified so that he could take people like me to go skydiving.
Speaker 3: So is he using the Madonna In as kind of a place to get new customers.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit like that.
Speaker 3: Interesting, but I'm really rooting for good for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but now it's on my mind.
Speaker 3: How was the Madonna In in general? I've only ever driven past, I'm very familiar.
Speaker 4: But it was really fun. It smelled crazy. That makes totally like the rooms smelled crazy.
Speaker 3: Probably not well ventilated, No, certainly not.
Speaker 4: And it is truly on the highway right like that's but the pool was amazing. The like I went to the bar and they have this drink with whipped cream, and it was someone's wedding and they let us dance at the wedding.
Speaker 3: Oh fun, it was really fun. Oh that sounds nice. I need to go there at least once.
Speaker 4: You should.
Speaker 3: It just never feels like the right time to go to the Madonna.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I don't. I'm I sort of did it on the way back from Big Sir.
Speaker 3: Oh right, it feels like something on the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't imagine it being a destination. And the guy who the guy who started it is quite interesting, but I can't remember anything about him.
Speaker 3: What was the theme of the room you were in?
Speaker 4: Rocks Rock that was the thing? Is like, it was kind of last minute, so we got a shit, but it was rocks and it was all car It was like carpet that has been there for forty years. And I'm like, people are coming into this growing up. No question, you can't clean a carpet.
Speaker 3: There's certainly blood in there. Yes, there's like every liquid you could get into that.
Speaker 4: Which is I think the fun of the Madonna in But I don't. I'm watching the comeback right now and I just had the urge just say her catchphrase. Oh of course, that is so crazy that that just happened to me. Really enjoying the show though.
Speaker 3: You're watching it for the first time. Yeah, oh my god, it's so good.
Speaker 4: She's unreal.
Speaker 3: She's just like she can truly do anything. Yeah, how far into it are you?
Speaker 4: I'm about to finish season one. I had tried watching it many times before and couldn't get into it, and everyone's been like, you just need to push through, right, And now I'm like, thank god.
Speaker 3: What were you? Was it making you uncomfortable to watch it?
Speaker 4: You know a little bit? And I have a really high tolerance for that. I'm not sure what it was. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like that is a lot of people's problem. I mean, she's just so good at making you be like this, what are you doing on camera?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's my maybe my favorite ever. Yeah. Okay, well I avoided this experience long enough.
Speaker 4: There's actually a piece I forgot that's unrelated. It's just if you really don't like what.
Speaker 3: I gave but I can't find it. Okay, Well let's see what this is. I'm pulling it out. It's a pan, a pilot, G two classic pen and some paper.
Speaker 4: When do I get to explain stuff.
Speaker 3: Whenever you want? Okay? Wait, you wait hours? You call me later to explain so about that? Okay, Okay, I'm opening it and it's a piece of paper that I just punched a hole in the wall. It's a okay, there it seems like her two piece of paper.
Speaker 4: Well, this is part of the experience.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So should I do you want to explain?
Speaker 4: Or should I why you try?
Speaker 3: And then all, okay, I'm gonna I try to explain what this is. Rachel has drawn a picture. In the middle, there's a stick figure of me Bridger in the left corner. There's a dog in the up upper left corner. There's a flag that says gay guy flag, upper right corner, there's a house that says sold. And then in the bottom right could be a bag of groceries or a garbage can.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, so you know we've only met in Passing about twice. Yes, we talked briefly a couple.
Speaker 3: Of weeks ago. Yes, we were at someone's birthday. Yes, wonderful Sam.
Speaker 4: Wonderful Sam. And you know, I'm thinking, huh, I don't know so much about this guy. Because I wanted to make you a painting. Actually oh wow, But I was like, I don't really know what to paint him, right, So I said, I'll start with this sketch. So I went with stuff I thought, or it's true about you, gay guy or gay guy?
Speaker 3: Right, yes, I'm a gay guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought you might have a dog.
Speaker 3: Okay, good gift.
Speaker 4: So when you said you had a dog, I'm thinking this is amazing. Then I remember you said you make some money from the podcast.
Speaker 3: So then I'm thinking of loudly going around the room. You gut believe how much money I'm making all this thing.
Speaker 4: Then I'm thinking, I wonder if this guy owns a house. There's a house you bought. Then you're saying you do own a house.
Speaker 3: I do own a house.
Speaker 4: Then I went on Instagram, your instagram, and saw that you take pictures of trash all the time. Oh, interest, I thought it could be a fetish something like this. So then I brought a pen and paper. So as I learned stuff about you, I can continue to add. Oh I like this, And if you learn something about me, you want to draw. At the end, you give me a gift.
Speaker 3: So you're just as we're learning about each other, will just draw.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't learned much about you.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm kind of keeping my car. One thing I'm gonna I'm gonna add one thing already. Let me choose quiftly. I'm listener. I'm drawing something that's very close to Rachel's heart, and it's a very good drawing. Okay, you've drawn well.
Speaker 4: I added box of a bucket of pebbles because I think you'll have that for a long time.
Speaker 3: I drew a picture of Bart Simpson.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that's a good drawing.
Speaker 3: That's an I would say, a perfect drawing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I really like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm trying to think of other things I've already learned about. You've been to Madonna in This is a I mean, this is an unfortunate test of my memory and listening. You've watched Backyardigans. That's a good yeah, done. Pottery painting and woodwork? How do you draw woodwork? That's the ball I saw? Fantastic I'm gonna draw. This is also a test of if I know what a socks.
Speaker 4: It's a good motor skills test too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, yeah, that's great. It's a pretty good.
Speaker 4: Similar looks similar to Bart Simpson.
Speaker 3: It actually looks almost like I'm going to ask you about like in regards to do you have a pet? No?
Speaker 4: No, I really want a dog, right, I feel ready, and I think it would change my life.
Speaker 3: What sort of dog would you like? A big, small.
Speaker 4: If if I had unlimited resources in that I had a yard house, I think I would want like a medium to big sized dog, maybe like a black lap Oh, beautiful, gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Did you have a dog growing up?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Never, did you have any pets?
Speaker 4: We had a bird for under a year?
Speaker 3: Did it fly away?
Speaker 4: So my mom and I were walking through Washington Square Park and a parakeet lands on her head. How interesting she it's injured. So she goes back to her work, which is close by, and we get a box. We take the bird to the vet. The vet says like its wing is broken and it must have just escaped from someone's apartment. But there's sort of nothing. What do you do with a.
Speaker 3: Bird can and there's nothing you can do about a broken wing.
Speaker 4: I think they fixed the wing, Okay, I don't really know. Anyway, we took her home. We had her in a cage we have. We'd have to let her out to fly. She would ship all over the apartment. She was so loud. I hated the bird, but we called her Treasure because she was a treasure around. Treasure but ultimately we just called her Birdie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, right right.
Speaker 4: I had insomnia as a kid, so I would sit up with the bird a lot and watch Kathy Griffin, Kathy Griffin, Kathy Griffin, My Life with the D List or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yes, wait, what did you think? Her name was?
Speaker 4: Kathy Griffith, Kathy Griffin, Kaffy Griffin, Kathy Griffin. And one night we're watching it TV together. Well, also, it's like the bird is stupid, so you put a towel over its cage to indicate it's sound to go to bed. So I was put the towel over its cage. But there was something comforting about having a live thing next to me. Sure, because I basically, in part had insomnia because I thought someone needed to be awake in case someone was trying to break in.
Speaker 3: I mean, not the worst idea, yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure, but I took it upon myself. Yeah, But so I like having a bird with me because it felt like partner in crime. Of course, all to say, we're watching Kathy Griffin, and all of a sudden, I hear a huge thought in the cage no, and I don't bother and I finally fall asleep, and it had passed away. Kathy griff It was like, laugh, it had had a heart attack.
Speaker 3: It had a heart attack. How do you know that.
Speaker 4: Because we took it to the vet.
Speaker 3: Okay, this feels like a waste of time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think my mom was like maybe not actually right, she told me that it had a heart attack. Oh okay, and then we went out to my We drove out to Long Island to my grandma's house to bury it in the yard.
Speaker 3: Well that's nice, and.
Speaker 4: I hated the birds so much, but it really made me sad, right, And it was around the same time that my great grandpa was dying. Oh, so I think it made me realize.
Speaker 3: That, oh it was kind of your entry into that world. Right.
Speaker 4: So it was actually good because it was sort of like, yeah, I think that is tricycle one of the utilities of a pet for a kid, right, Yeah, you haven't really thought about that before, but it's.
Speaker 3: Like, look what's coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We had so many hamsters dye really, but I guess I just have totally numb to the concept.
Speaker 4: Wow, would you have one at a time?
Speaker 3: Time?
Speaker 4: Are many?
Speaker 3: We would have like one or two at a time. And I don't know where did you grow up in Utah, Utah, outside of Salt Lake City, in a suburb of Salt Lake.
Speaker 4: Have you been, Yeah, I've been toys.
Speaker 3: What were you doing there? Stand up? One time?
Speaker 4: No, I think they would hate me there.
Speaker 3: No, I bet they would actually love you.
Speaker 4: Interesting. One time I went because I was on a my like uncle took me and my cousins to Yellowstone, Okay, sure, and like on the way home, we stopped in the Salt Lake because he wanted to see the church.
Speaker 3: Oh right, fast by it kind of a landmark to see. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then I went this past couple of months ago because I was at sundown.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, always kind of trying to bring it back to some sort of problem.
Speaker 4: Well you know what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 3: I just can't stop working. Nope. So you were just in Park City this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we did spend some time in Salt Lake.
Speaker 3: Okay, where did you eat any good restaurants?
Speaker 4: I have to say the food was disgusting. People were like, oh my god, you got to go to this restaurant and like what restaurant was a sushi place and the producers were like trying to take us out this nice meal like we were having good time and it was really expensive and it was disgusting.
Speaker 3: Was the sushi place in Salt Lake? No?
Speaker 4: No, sorry, Park City?
Speaker 3: Oh so, okay, there is a really good sushi place in salt Lake.
Speaker 4: Really well, I watched Salt Lake Real Housewives.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: So I'm sure they've gone on the show because the food they eat looks pretty good.
Speaker 3: They go to some interesting places. Yeah, they go to places that I think are the photographed kind of well, yeah, they're kind of a scene.
Speaker 4: Are you do you know anything about them? I how so, just gonna draw something quickly.
Speaker 3: I will say I've facetimed with Britney Bateman. No, why a friend is a friend? Are you interested? I'm friend of a.
Speaker 4: Friend of I thought you said a friend is a friend, so I thought you were a friend.
Speaker 3: Rachel and they'll FaceTime. No, a friend is a friend of hers. I see, And she said, would you FaceTime my friend? And so did Jared Osmond? No, what was he like? They were both perfectly nice. Actually, I mean I can imagine. I mean that's kind of the thing about housewives is like I think if you met any of them in person, you'd be like, oh, this is someone that's kind of playing well.
Speaker 4: I met Meredith on the street where.
Speaker 3: In New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was, it was great. I was having I had done something a heinous that day. Okay, I had tried to steal a eight hundred dollars pair of pants from A stores, which I did successfully.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 4: But then I went back immediately and bought it, brought it back Rachel and just threw it inside. I was like, I'm so sorry I did this. It was like I had like a streak of kleptomania as a kid, and it is gone from my body now. And it that was the final release, because I was like, what am I doing?
Speaker 3: How did you steal them?
Speaker 4: Shove it in my pants?
Speaker 3: So you didn't like go in the dressing room and put them on and put I did that.
Speaker 4: Yeah I shoved or yeah, I well they were these weird ones where it was actually too obvious when I had them on under my pants, so I did kind of like ball it up like and then held a sweater over my you know what I mean. Whatever, And I was just like if they find out, like I had never stolen something that expensive before, and I was like this is fucking insane, Like I'm not stealing food that I need. I'm stealing like designer pants, which I honestly don't have an issue with.
Speaker 3: I have zero issue.
Speaker 4: It was more just like this could ruin my life, right potentially, Well that's true too, sort of a rider, yeah yeah, but anyway, I just freaked out, threw the pants in, and then immediately had a panic attack outside, of course, and just then Meredith Marks walked by with her. But I was like, Meridith, it like took me out of it.
Speaker 1: What a cure.
Speaker 3: It's such a cure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And they were really nice. And then I posted these pictures of me with them and wrote in and seeing caption about us being in a threesome and like all this stuff because Seth.
Speaker 3: Took the picture. You got to be careful because you could end up in a threesome with this couple.
Speaker 4: I would love to.
Speaker 3: I mean, Seth is looking for it, and you can tell.
Speaker 4: He loves the idea. But they thought it was so funny. And now they both follow me, Oh my god, that's great, but Meredith won't answer me.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting kind of Uh that's a power move though, to be like I'm here, but I'm not giving you anything. Yeah, maybe she's just not that active on socials like you are.
Speaker 4: She's quite active, but maybe she has someone managing it, right, which is the dream of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's like to have a middleman to be like, here's the thing, do this, and occasionally check in just to make sure things aren't completely on fire. Yeah. Wow, so Meredith Mark's dead bird stealing. Yeah, you just threw the pants back in there. Yeah, what's the second biggest thing you've stolen? And I spent some time drawing for a moment.
Speaker 4: Banned from urban outfitters because I stole some I probably stole stuff worth two hundred dollars in total. Oh wow, that's not so bad.
Speaker 3: That's so you like you went multiple times?
Speaker 4: No, no, this was one go okay, and they caught me because again I was shoving stuff. Actually, I was shoving stuff in my lunchbox. I was in high school and I had a lunch box.
Speaker 3: Was it like a did have a design on it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: It was very plain.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, it.
Speaker 4: Was kind of like fabric you right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all those those always kind of feel dirty to me.
Speaker 4: There was disgusting stuff spilled out. I used to pack chips and then I want to catch up to dip the chips into.
Speaker 3: I love catchup. Okay, wow, so maybe draw that I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 4: And I would just put it in. I would get a piece of tinfoil, squirt the ketchup in, and then bunch up the tinfoil, which would obviously always spill out into the lunch box. But I was like, this is the only thing. Like I didn't have tupperware r. You just had like plastic bags and tinfoil.
Speaker 3: But if you did have plastic bags.
Speaker 4: So you then it would just be like this flat. Like I was like, if I can bunch up the tinfoil enough, at least it'll be like a pile a little cup, yeah, whereas in the bag it just gets.
Speaker 3: Like a sheet. Ketchup is kind of one of the worst things you can have leak to, Like first old ketchup Yeah, stickiness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it was not good.
Speaker 3: But you did it over and over pretty much every day. And then they probably smelled you in urban outfitters definitely, and then they banned you. How does that work?
Speaker 4: They caught me, they took my picture and they're like, you can't come back like your pictured be sent to all the stores, and then that one has since closed.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think a lot of since colored. But I kinda say, like some other stuff, you could if you went in there and went to the clearance rack, you could get some great.
Speaker 4: Get a couple pair of beady g jeans, right.
Speaker 3: As long as it's not like a novelty T shirt or some stupid thing like that, you could get some decent things in there. I wonder if they're all closing, their time may be done.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think we've I mean, but you know, if Hot Topic has lasted this long, I feel like Urban Outfitters was like Millennials.
Speaker 4: Such other store that smelled crazy.
Speaker 3: Hot Topic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I always found it to have a crazy smell.
Speaker 3: I wonder what that was. Was it all of the Funko pops.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, it's like burning plastic.
Speaker 3: It's so much plastic. Yeah, that storre was almost entirely plastic. And then like flammable T shirts. Yeah, yeah, interesting.
Speaker 4: I really liked Happy Bunny.
Speaker 3: Are you familiar with familiar with Happy Bunny?
Speaker 4: I kind of want to start wearing Happy Bunny. It's a bunny that basically says like go fuck yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, it's kind of got an edge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks cute, but exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to picture if i've I bet I've seen that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it was iconic at a time, that was my brand.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you met Meredith Marx and Seth took a picture. I'm trying to think of how I could draw one of those two. But I feel like, oh, do you know what I can draw to represent them? Something that I think is very key to their relationship, which I think is important, say Big Loss.
Speaker 4: Wait, why is that important to their relations.
Speaker 3: Because he is the CFO I think of Big Loss. You're kidd is one of the head honchos over at Big Holy Ship of another business that's rapid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, genuinely, he's always like I feel like his work.
Speaker 3: Stuff is always like fucked, it's always. He worked at overstock dot com. I'm a former employee of overstock dot com, but it was before his reign. It was a copywriter, which was never get a copywriting did you try?
Speaker 4: Yes, this is the thing, if I may police, It's like, you know, people were assistants at like you know, an agency or publishing or or copyright. Like I tried so hard to get the like normal jobs that people get when they're trying to break in, and I couldn't, Like I couldn't even get that.
Speaker 3: Where do you think you went wrong? I don't know. I know, like you're a competent person, you're smart.
Speaker 4: I am, and now I do have a career, but I'm just like I tried so hard to do it in the normal way.
Speaker 3: Did you ever have like a part time or like more menial type job I was.
Speaker 4: I had, like I was a barista for many years. I was a pre K like assistant teacher for many years. I did tutoring, but it was all kinds of stuff that was either like you know, like customer front, you know, barista or whatever, or like education, right, but those had nothing to do with the industry I was trying to get into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean those sort of jobs are kind of I mean, like they're weirdly competitive to get, like these horrible jobs, jobs that are probably the hardest ones in the business yea, and the lowest paying, yes, because you basically have to like be an intern at uta or something, or you know, like I have, like your uncle works somewhere. Yes, even to be like a pah, which I mean I was a PA, but it was because I had interned at another show.
Speaker 4: And how did you get the internship?
Speaker 3: Truly sheer luck. It was a letterman at David Letterman, and it was I think I submitted twice, and I think the second time they were probably like, all of our interns are coming from New York. This person wants to come from Utah. Let him do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow. So it worked out. And then there was part of me that thinks that part of the reason I got the job was I kind of interviewed with the front desk person and at the time I had like long red hair, and later found out that she was like fully obsessed with Harry Potter and like looking at fan photos, Oh my god. And I caught a look over her shoulder once of her like looking at like.
Speaker 4: A Ronald Weasley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like, oh, so this is the reason.
Speaker 4: I got Yeah, got its.
Speaker 3: Speculation, but I was like, that just cannot be a.
Speaker 4: Coincidence, certainly not wow, God bless. Yeah, so you did have a little bit of an industry connect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just by sheer luck. But otherwise there's no chance I would have gotten into the business. Yeah, and then Twitter helped because that was the other way you could get in without Harvard before. Yeah, and now it's all kind of reverted back to whatever that was. Right, just a nightmare. Right, But you're probably lucky you didn't have to do any of those terrible I.
Speaker 4: Definitely am lucky in many ways.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It seems really hard.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been in a big loss?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I don't know that we have other thing? Where is it the same as?
Speaker 3: Like I'm trying to think of, like what a comp for big lots would be. It's like what they sell kind of everything. It's like, is it like dollar Tree? So grated dollar Tree. It's like if you went to Dollar Tree and everything was normally prish. Yeah. Perfect, So kind of a dream store or anyone.
Speaker 4: I think my mom maybe goes to big lots or she goes to odd Jobs. Oh wait, is that a store?
Speaker 3: I as a kid, we were going we would go somewhere called Jobbers Odd Lots. You're getting, which was kind of that sort of store.
Speaker 4: Jobbers Odd Lot.
Speaker 3: What do you mean? I have no idea what the business model is. I just remember I was so young, it was I just remember being weirdly dark, and they just had like all sorts of junk jobbers jobbers. Isn't that a great name for a business? Jobbers? Odd lots and your mom would go to odd jobs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but now I'm just like, am I just pulling at like things I've heard? Because odd job is a phrase?
Speaker 3: Right, odd job? Yeah, you take odd jobs?
Speaker 4: I might just be saying that. And is there we were just talking about odd jobs.
Speaker 3: I think there might be a James Bond villain named odd job?
Speaker 4: Is that right that I know nothing about?
Speaker 3: If I know that they're not good for me? Yeah, there is. Wow, I should go on Jeopardy.
Speaker 4: This is proof you would be great on Jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Great to just kind of be the third place and the other two people get to win. Yeah, and they did you have to fill one of those things. Yeah, I would love to go on Jeopardy, even if I've flopped.
Speaker 4: I think you. I mean, yeah, it just sounds fun. I like doing like trivia, right, which I've never really watched it.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I bet you would enjoy it. Everyone likes Jeopardy. Yeah. I like trivia as long as it's things that don't require any level of actual education or intelligence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, things just come to me when they ask questions.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, just channeled to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It just it is like, do you have a category that you're good with?
Speaker 4: Nope, I think I'm okay at many.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, that's I think that's kind of the key.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you have to bring people. You're like, oh, this guy is obsessed with World War two, this guy is obsessed with the movies. Right, But I cover everything.
Speaker 3: Right, so you're kind of covering basis for people when the World War two. I guess they can only do like pop culture stuff and entertainment and then weird bits of history here and there. But otherwise when those other categories are being I'm very quietly just waiting for the rest of the I do this quiz on the Financial Times. Okay about this, This seems very appealing to me.
Speaker 4: Actually it's a British newspaper.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, but.
Speaker 4: They I don't care about the newspaper. It's just a quiz. But they ask you questions and then you have to figure out the link.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's kind of like I'm addicted to that, right, So how many questions do they answer? Ten? Ten? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And it's like trivia question, right, But then what helps is figuring out the link.
Speaker 3: Oh this sounds great. It's so fun because I play a lot of connections the New York Times one. Yeah, and this seems like an almost upgraded version it is or something due to the trivia, because I frequently disagree with the connections. I'm pretty good at of it. Sometimes I'm like, sorry, there, some of these things could have worked in two different categories and you failed. Yeah, that's not tricking someone that's failing at your job, right, and they need to know.
Speaker 4: I kind of stopped doing that. I got really obsessed with it as a way to ward off dementia.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's every time I'm like, this is my vitamin for the Yeah. Yeah. And there's no chance it's actually it's doing nothing fun. Yeah, probably not. If anything, I'm getting worse brain.
Speaker 4: Wise, it's definitely possible.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me see if I can draw another thing here, I'm going to draw.
Speaker 4: I'll draw one too. I drew on earlier as well.
Speaker 3: Just a bad picture and it's not exactly there's no chance to know what that says. Let's see that little triangle in the middle pursuits yes. Wow, Well I could.
Speaker 4: Read your writings Barry bless you Dead Hamster and Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: Well, yours is filling up. I mean the one you're doing for me is filling up. But I still feel like I'm not really Uh, you know what else I'm going to do? Right here?
Speaker 4: That's a great drawing.
Speaker 3: It's a gorgeous drawing.
Speaker 4: You know what we should turn these into flash tattoo.
Speaker 3: Oh do you know what about flash tattoos? Which I found very disappointing, was there was a friend had a flash tattoo artist at her birthday and had advertised this. I thought, oh, this will be so much fun, thinking oh, it's just like imporary tattoos. Then I got there and realized, oh, it's real. I can't commit to this. Still, do you have any No, I'm I think I'm gonna get one though.
Speaker 4: Really, you know, it's been a secret.
Speaker 3: No, it's a picture of my old dog. But I just have been I procrastinate everything. But I think I'm like very closest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you thought flash tattoo was like it's a tattoo that's gone in a flash.
Speaker 3: Like it's worthless. No, I just thought, you know, I figured it was like a new, better version of temporary tattoos. Oh, you know, better technology or something.
Speaker 4: No, I've given tattoos at two parties. Here's another skill, which, by the way, it's like not, well, I guess it's a bit of a skill. I mean it's a bit cringe to show up to a party with a tattoo kit and it's sick and poke. Right, So I've probably given like twenty tattoos in my life.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: But I'm not that good at it, so people will ask for things that I like, I can't.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of not your faults, yeah, I mean, well, really very clear.
Speaker 4: I'm like, look, I'm sterilizing everything so you don't have to worry about health, right, But you I can't do much more than that. I can do circle star heart and some I gave one to my friend on her wrist and it looks horrible and I think she hates it.
Speaker 3: Again, absolutely her fault.
Speaker 4: Well, I was a little like, I don't really know what to tell you, Like I did tell you that this was not kind of even if I.
Speaker 3: Went to a party and there was like a pretty professional person, I wouldn't expect to get the best tattoo. Yeah, I think this is a tattoo I've decided to get at a party, right, just on a whim.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the fact that anyone would expect you to do anything worse better than the absolute worst.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that for free, by the for free.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, this was my other problem with a splash tattoo at the party. I have to pay for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's crazy. Your friend should have paid for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not. I'm not coming to your birthday to pay. And she was probably skimming a little off the top. It's probably her little busy Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure, is it? It was it a big birthday, like, because I've only heard of it really at weddings.
Speaker 3: Wedding Yeah, okay, and uh oh wow have you ever gotten one?
Speaker 4: I haven't gotten a flash tattoo at an event, but I have a bunch of tattoos.
Speaker 3: Oh right, Yeah, I need to I just need to commit. I feel like, why not?
Speaker 4: It's fun? But also then sometimes I'm like, I wish I had none?
Speaker 3: Really? Yeah, why?
Speaker 4: There are a couple I regret, Okay, And then sometimes I'm like, oh, I'd like to not like I've just like to not have them.
Speaker 3: Right, just not to be a person without tattoo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you do have them. Once you have them, you have them. And I have some friends who are getting them like laser removed. But it sounds so painful, I'm sure, and really expensive.
Speaker 3: Body is just being torched. Yeah, yeah, and it's kind of not that effective, right, Like.
Speaker 4: No, it's still like it's just a different tattoo.
Speaker 3: Now you just have a worse tattoo. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I have one that I got like really late one night with this guy who was like so weird whatever, and it's like basically like spreading in my body.
Speaker 3: I mean it's safe. Shit, Oh that sucks.
Speaker 4: And it was like a very yeah, it looks so bad.
Speaker 3: What was what is it of?
Speaker 4: It's of this like when I was a when I was a pre K assistant teacher, I was like in charge of nap time, okay, and a lot of the kids who didn't want to sleep, I would draw them the squiggle that they could collar.
Speaker 3: In okay okay, And it.
Speaker 4: Became like I was doing like twenty squiggles a day. But I like it was like I love doing it. So I made a squiggle for myself and got a tattooed.
Speaker 3: Well, that's kind of the best version of a tattoo to fall apart.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean if it was kind of nothing before, it'll just be a different Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now it's yeah, it's something something else.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna draw classic test and I've I drew something that looks like a squiggle and isn't, which I'll have to explain here.
Speaker 4: I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Now I'm drawing a Yeah, should I put a name in the middle. Let's see here, Let's just keep on the name.
Speaker 4: I'll be of the personal marry maybe seth marks.
Speaker 3: Now see this squiggle right here was an attempt. This would have required a lot of shading and texture. It was a rock for then, but ultimately it kind of works us both now as a squiggle and a Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 3: So that's good. Did you say you have another for me?
Speaker 4: No, I'm hinting, do you want something?
Speaker 3: No? I feel like I need to do one more before we move on to the game. And I just said, let's see here, thinking we're thinking.
Speaker 4: Do you have any questions for me?
Speaker 3: Let's see here. I'm trying to think of the things you had already drawn on mine. I know you're from New York. I know you hate animation. Yeah, I let's see. How often do you get your hair cut? You know, I'm growing it out, you are.
Speaker 4: But there was a for many years I had really short hair.
Speaker 3: What's the plan for length?
Speaker 4: As long as I can?
Speaker 3: Like? Would you like like a length? No? No?
Speaker 4: Like here, I mean like you know Kate ber Lance hair is and cr I mean she is the best.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's really fair to other people. It just feels effortless.
Speaker 4: It's unreal. But like that length I used to I have long hair for a while. Then I just chopped it and buzzed it, and then I was buzzing it. Then I had picks buzzing it. Oh yeah, that sounds so nice. It was fun, so free. But there was a point where I was going to the lesbian barber once every six weeks spending That's where all of my money went for about a year.
Speaker 3: How much were they charging for a buzz? Well?
Speaker 4: I was doing a little more than a buzz at that point.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: I had the like kind of like buzz sides with the like you know, oh.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 4: Every time I would either bring in a picture of Timothy Schalmey or justin bieber and they were like, we can't do this for you, but then I would just pay for whatever they suggested.
Speaker 3: How much were you paying?
Speaker 4: I want to say it was like one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 3: That's tough. This is an indictment of lesbians everywhere. Yep, don't trust a lesbian barber. Well, this is kind of a goal for you.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: I feel like that would be a good look for you.
Speaker 4: Did you add Banks? Yeah, so you think I should get Banks?
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like it'll be you know, it'll be more like not bangs. It'll just be so long that it'll be like, you know, in a fun everywhere. Yeah where. Sometimes it's in your face, sometimes it's not. You're flinging it. Yeah, I don't think you could you do Banks?
Speaker 4: You mean because of the curly hair. Yeah, you can, but not I've I mean, like I have like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's a that's a good curly bang.
Speaker 4: But sometimes it'll just.
Speaker 3: Right if it's a nightmare, Yeah, I guess you if you really.
Speaker 4: Committed to it, you know, as they call the jewfrow.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, sure that for a long time, right, But curly hair is tricky, Yes, it requires a lot of thought and effort.
Speaker 4: Certainly.
Speaker 3: Well, I've I've drawn this for you, You've drawn for me. I think we should play a game. Great, we're gonna play a game called Gift to a Curse. I need a number between one and ten from you. Seven.
Speaker 4: Everyone probably chooses seven.
Speaker 3: Okay. I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces. So right now, you can promote, you can recommend, do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: So, as I mentioned earlier, I am on Jury DUT season two. All episodes are now streaming. How fabulous sometimes that you stand up. I could do flash tattoo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're online? People can sure? What's this movie you're in? Is that out yet?
Speaker 4: It is a pilot? Oh, it's a pilot, Indy pilot.
Speaker 3: This is an interesting new world for entering, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yes? And it's like it's directed by Nicole Hole of Center kind of a legend, produced by Barry Jenkins.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is a real thing.
Speaker 4: Well we'll see. I would love for it to be.
Speaker 3: I mean, even if it doesn't become a show. I bet it's good.
Speaker 4: It's good. I'm really proud of it. But it's uh, not up to me.
Speaker 3: Right, it's kind of a not up to anyone at this point. There's just a pure chance that anything gets made. Yep. And I think that that's good.
Speaker 4: I think it's really best.
Speaker 3: No one has any control. Yeah, okay, Oh I want to recommend I bet I've already. I went to see Rat Boys last night, our friends, the Rat Boys here in LA and they're a wonderful band, and I just want to keep recommending them. I just adore them. Just I think it might be the second recommendation of the row and I don't care. Ah, And is there anything I'm watching on TV? No, watching Homicide New York. Then I thought, no, I don't know what that is, just about murder, and then I was like, yeah, yeah, of course the person got killed because the other person's bad. Yeah, there's no mystery, right, Okay, this is how we play gift to a curse. I'm going to name three things. You'll tell me if they are a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong. Oh okay, there are correct answer cool, all right? This first one is from a listener named William Gift or a curse. Gas station security height sticker next to the door.
Speaker 4: Wow, well, oh my god, I guess well, ultimately it's a curse. Why One, you're reminded of your own height. Two, obviously it's like surveillance state vibes.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 4: Three I think if people want to lie about their like if you're on a second date and you're going to the gas station and the guy gets out of the car walks in, I think it's his prerogative to lie about his height, and I don't think it's fair for the gas station to out him.
Speaker 3: Interesting, so cursed, Okay, wrong guy, I figured why. I feel like that's added value to the gas station. Where else do you get a free measurement? Yeah? The only other place is you have to go to the doctor's office. They should have a scale there too. Should go the way you're saying, yeah, yeah, yeah, I truly have no idea of where else I would learn how maybe there's a chance I grew another light life in Yeah, oh my god. But you know, it's a fun little thing, novelty. It's kind of got almost a carnival or fair vibe of like, yeah, I guess your height sort of thing. And I think that the other side of the coin is finding out that the man you're dating is lying to you about his height, and then you're like, Okay, this is the last time I will cut him off and he'll never know why.
Speaker 4: It's a gift for the non liar.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, yeah, yeah, okay, all right. The second one is from a listener named Christen gift to a curse season passes curse.
Speaker 4: Why then you have to go? It's like buying a metro card and you don't use it enough. I mean, I guess that's not a thing anymore, but it's like I would always be like I shouldn't walk, I should take the train, I have to use this by the end of the week whatever. And it's like, well, I don't want to go to Universal Studios, but like I have to. I have a season bass. I understand there are perks to it, but I think it's more of a burden.
Speaker 3: Correct curse because I don't want to commit to that, right, I don't want. I feel like it it's a thing where they don't believe in people changing. Yeah, you know, I buy it. What if I become a different person? I don't want to go to disneyling right right, right, right? And truly the pressure of getting your value. Yeah, no, thank you, No, that ruins the entire experience. You're a prisoner, yeah, until the pass is over. Yeah, and also you might get one of those annoying bumper stickers.
Speaker 4: Don't get me started.
Speaker 3: This final one is from Alex. Gift or a curse putting new bottles of condiments in the fridge without opening them first.
Speaker 4: I wish I could. I mean, that's a curse. I should have said the first one was a gift because I was on the fence about it. But all three are curses. That is such a dick move, don't you think? It's like then whoever opens it has to open it. And it's like when you're in the shower and you put a new shampoo thing in and then now you have a paper thing in the shower with you, Like it's just like, why I wish that they didn't sell it with the paper.
Speaker 3: You're against government regulation?
Speaker 4: Yes, is that what it is?
Speaker 3: I'm sure to.
Speaker 4: Keep it clean. Yeah, Well everything's still you know, what's.
Speaker 3: The word I could truly cuss any more? The thing? I don't know. We'll start with A and I'll just go to the end of the dictionary. No, you're you're wrong here this. I think this is a gift. I actually have never with condiments in the fridge. I've never considered until I'm going to use them, I want them totally sealed. I feel like you're like said it, you're lighting a fuse on the expiration.
Speaker 4: Time the first time you use it, you take it off.
Speaker 3: But it seems like this person's like, you get home from the store, you have all of your condiments on the counter. You're taking off all the things then putting them in the fridge. Yes, absolutely not. Is that a real thing people do?
Speaker 4: I will do that. I hate it. Pisces me off.
Speaker 3: Oh, I hate the sound of this. I agree with the shower thing because that's not going to expire, and we don't want the thing in the shower. No, those things take usually three to four weeks to get out of the shower. Once they've been Where do you put it on the wall? I have like a little ledge that I put the soap on it, then the thing sits next to it. Yeah for ages, yeah yeah, But with the condiments, I'm you know, I put the mustard in there until it's time to go on the sandwich. Totally sealed. It's a gift, so you got one right, And I.
Speaker 4: Said they're all curses. It's horrible things, negative attitude.
Speaker 3: All right, this is the final segment of the podcast. We're going to answer a listener question people are writing into. I said, no gifts at gmail dot com. I don't know why I paused there, like I was gonna say Yahoo or something. We hope me answer a question, of course. Okay, let's see here. This is uh hate when they don't address the guest. It just is highbridge here, which is just thoughtless. It says, I need help choosing a going away gift for my sister who is moving to Alaska in a few weeks. She will be working in the mental health field with AmeriCorps. She has to pack light, so the gift can't be bulky. She likes goth fashion, Instagram and gummy warm Thanks. That's from Natalie and Baltimore. So we found someone who likes Instagram.
Speaker 4: So that's the obviously get hot Happy Bunny shirt.
Speaker 3: It's very hot topic. That's very mom. You can't tell me what to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she likes Instagram. What is on Instagram that like?
Speaker 3: Sod?
Speaker 4: Just bring your phone?
Speaker 3: What do you get? Love Instagram? Merch. Do they sell merch?
Speaker 4: Can you imagine maybe there's like a special like because the last guy, imagine it's quite beautiful when the sun is out, Maybe like a special like camera.
Speaker 3: One of those little lenses you can put on the phone. Yeah, really take it to the next level. Yeah, that's a genuinely good gift idea. It doesn't happen on this podcast.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I really have a great gift giver.
Speaker 3: I've kind of won. Yeah, of course I've wanted one of those, but you know, it's a hard thing to commit to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't. I mean if I saw you putting that on. Yeah, but in a mental health.
Speaker 3: Facility, Yeah, in Alaska, and I think there's probably a lot of mental health issues in Alaska for sure. That's a place where it can get very dark and lonely. I'm sure you.
Speaker 4: Should get her like one of those lights.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right u u V light.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know or whatever.
Speaker 3: I think it probably works in the fact that you're saying I'm doing this for myself. Yeah, and then I just placebo Yeah, and gummy worms, you know what I was thinking about. Actually recently, have you ever had those little bright Crawler eggs. I know what you're talking about, but no, did they still I wonder if they still sell those. That was like kind of the best version of a sour gummy County because it wasn't a full worm. It was an egg and had like two textures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can find some of the inside.
Speaker 3: It had like gummy worm interesting, so it was like slimy they were, and they were like a little sour.
Speaker 5: I'm saying, yes, yeah, the trolley sour bright eggs. They might have rebranded themselves. I love those things, but it looks like it's still you can get them on and order them on door dash right now, let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's get them over. Have you had those als?
Speaker 4: No sour things. I'm obsessed with all things.
Speaker 3: Our people have got to get into these things. Those kind of were my diet through seventh and eighth grade, just eating gummy mine cookie. See this that we can really connect here.
Speaker 4: I had one big cookie for lunch every day.
Speaker 3: I had I think four small cookies for lunch every day because my mom, I think, would give us like three dollars for lunch or something, and I wanted to save some of the money to buy video games, so I would buy cookies and milk. Yeah, which is probably why I'm the height I am. Yeah, for sure, definitely, I'm sure. There were so many things.
Speaker 4: One quite sure too.
Speaker 3: We found a real commonality. Yeah, this is not kind of a scientific short. I'm going to draw you one final thing.
Speaker 4: Do you think you'll frame that? I was meant to bring a frame.
Speaker 3: Maybe I will frame it. Actually, I can put this in sign it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna draw Rachel Collie.
Speaker 5: Is there anything that you guys haven't mentioned that you've drawn. I just want to make sure that the listener gets a picture of not me.
Speaker 4: I just added short.
Speaker 3: I drew Uh well, then this is also very strange. What just happened. I drew you a cookie, a chocolate chip cookie, and then I thought, well I should draw another to kind of indicate that it's a cookie, but with a bite out of it.
Speaker 4: And now Bart Simpson and then it looks like six looks that's crazy that.
Speaker 3: It looks like Bart Simpson with acne. Well, that's and that's totally fine. That's how art works.
Speaker 4: Great, I love it.
Speaker 3: Uh well, we I think we answered the question perfectly. Good luck in Alaska, defin, sister, go save everyone in Alaska. We have we both have a gift. Yeah, I don't know that I've ever given a guest on this podcast a gift, which is what does that say about me?
Speaker 4: Well, that's a great question. And I did force your hand, You.
Speaker 3: Did kind of force my yeah, no choice. Yeah, but I'll get this frame you won't put in the studio or something.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: If it's such a lovely time with you and me too. Thank you for being here, Thanks for having me listener. The podcast is over. I'm only sweating lightly. You're probably sweating like crazy because you've been listening to this podcast. So now you've got to go do something else. Move on, I love you, goodbye. I said No Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Ellis Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Tolliday. The theme song is by miracle Worker Amy Mann, and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said no Gifts, that's where you're going to see pictures of all these wonderful gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see the gifts?
Speaker 1: But I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 4: But you're a guess to my home.
Speaker 1: You gotta come to me empty, And I said, no, guess, your own presences presents enough.
Speaker 2: I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare to surbey me?