Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Uh These are.
Speaker 1: Some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Miles.
Speaker 1: We're thrilled to be joined in our third and fourth by two of our favorite guests, a podcast producer and a musician who hosted the Great Beauty Translated podcast celebrating the trans experience and having a lot of fun along the way. Please welcome Carmen larn and Janey Danger.
Speaker 2: Cobler.
Speaker 3: Zachi Kyler.
Speaker 4: You're kind of channeling like a like an auction crier at the beginning there.
Speaker 5: Podcast every a very coveted scale that you have to like go to school to learn how to do that.
Speaker 4: Like that's like a fast like Buster rhymes could probably be good out of Oh.
Speaker 1: I don't any time, I know you can tell my Yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe now that there's no like space for them in like popular music scene because of all the freaking mumble rap, maybe they could.
Speaker 3: They're all working as an auction crist is.
Speaker 6: So hard to like process in the year of Our Lord's twenty twenty four. Now, Like he did a video recently on his social media where he was clearly just somewhere where there was like a parked helicopter and he had like an empty suitcase and he like hopped off the rail. I was like, yo, I just got off the helicopter and you're like, nothing's moving.
Speaker 1: The door is shut and locked. Bro. I could tell that case is so light. I'm like, why are we still doing this?
Speaker 4: Are not a helicopter. He's not allowed to be online. Security is being dispatched immediately.
Speaker 2: He's like the one security guard.
Speaker 6: Good thing that He's like quickly, I love your album Extreme Extinction Level Event, Bro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, go ahead, you can hop on there. There's like a guy. It's like a guy in a control center like, yo, yeah, it's Buster Rhymes. You've got to stop it, Like I'm sure it's him, Like yeah, multiple incidences.
Speaker 1: Now, all the helipads across New York City just have pictures of Buster Rhymes and he's off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's always got to have a duffle on him, just to pretend if you want to stunt, like, oh, there's a park limitsine, let me pretend I got out.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll sup just got out the limbo. Do you have anything after the preamble was just like, hey, you know it's me anyway, get what happened.
Speaker 6: I think everyone just kind of was so bummed out by the action of just jumping out of like pretend like you can almost feel like the camera guy gonna be like and go you know what I mean, just had the millennial pause. Yeah, yeah, yeah, just it was so janky that yeah. I just everyone just is bummed out. Didn't even hear the words.
Speaker 1: So yeah, anyway, anyways, crazy right, that's what he says, and I was about one ye. Yeah, I can't believe those things can fly.
Speaker 2: Anyways.
Speaker 1: We do like to ask our guests, Carmen Jane, what is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are? Carmen, I will start with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Okay, my search history this week is actually quite boring, and normally I'm searching some cool shit, but I've just had three weeks ago. I'm going to talk about it in my Underrated I just had a full FFS on my face facial feminization surgery, and I don't like to google these things before. I mean I do, I still do. I just forget about I forget about cold. Yeah, I like to go in cold. But now that I've had everything done, I'm like googling each of the procedures. I like to read the surgery notes that are in like my mind chart app. And I also like to google things to figure out what is what. And I'm just looking at diagrams of like endoscopic brow lifts, PYPE three, forehead reconstruction, right open rhinoplasty. I'm like really obsessed with what they were doing to me while I was under.
Speaker 1: So look amazing, congratulations three weeks later.
Speaker 2: That's wild.
Speaker 5: Yeah I never looked that bad. Actually it was all thanks to pineapple juice and arnica. So drink your pineapple juice, take your.
Speaker 3: Pep.
Speaker 5: It does not make your cum taste better, you know.
Speaker 3: It kind of does.
Speaker 4: I'm a truth about this. Car just hates pineapple, just hates pineapples. Oh really, it doesn't make it better.
Speaker 3: The only thing that makes your com taste better is a beef burg and yawn.
Speaker 5: The blin. It's supposed to help with bruising and swelling as well as the arnica. So I like did a double a double whammy. Wow, okay, Yeah, And I was only bruised for about a week, so pretty good.
Speaker 1: Oh is that is that the where'd you get that cup from that looked like a hospital? Oh?
Speaker 5: This is from my This is my little souvenir I stole from the hospital university.
Speaker 1: That's like, I love, I love a hospital ice cup.
Speaker 3: It's been big.
Speaker 1: That cup was designed to hold ice chips.
Speaker 5: Yes, so yeah, I took it with me. I shout out to Emory. They really got me together.
Speaker 3: They're quite nice.
Speaker 4: I got a sorr that would be good for like bart and like making like a like a mint jewelip, like something that needs like like crumbly ice.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, you go in the hospital cup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you call it the hospital or they don't walk around the hospital drinking a mint jewel up Like I'm at the Kentucky Derby. I'm likeating on who's gonna die standing outside the hospital room like like within myself with like a like a brochure.
Speaker 3: Come on, right, he's flat lining.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 3: They saved somebody's life, all right, Stop the count, stop the keeping the nurses from going in. They're like, no, I got a lot of money on this.
Speaker 2: Something from your search history.
Speaker 3: Oh you know my search history was kind of boring. That's always funny.
Speaker 4: It's like always like the same kind of like looking up like I don't know, like how to find like an item in Dark Souls or something, but like.
Speaker 3: Something kind of interesting.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I want to go too far into it because it's a lot and it's insane, But you mentioned the like since Ariana Grande has been like in the news so much lately, it reminded me of this like very strange coincidence. If you google the words death Grips, like the bands death Grips, like the Experimental Wrap Trio and Ariana Grande, there's a lot of insane like mash. Maybe maybe there's not no, it's it's darker than that. It's like a numerological like there's this very insane correlation between the band Death Gripts releasing their album Steroids and the like bombing that happened in at a Manchester like Ariana Grande concert where the album was released on five, twenty two seventeen and its length is twenty two minutes and thirty one seconds that the bombing occurred on. Really wow, what do.
Speaker 2: You want to do with it? Where were you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like I was at homegoings.
Speaker 3: I fucking told you.
Speaker 2: I told Janey, what did I tell you?
Speaker 4: I'm should I should have just talked about how to find the symbol of avarice and dark souls one.
Speaker 6: There you go there, That's why I just go too. Yeah, rab it, I'm the amount of things I'm seeing on Reddit already.
Speaker 4: I my, yeah, are you looking it up? It is like I don't know, it's not I don't like, I don't know. I was thinking about this earlier this week with the uh, did y'all talk about the Joe Rogan believes in dragons kind of story that happened? Oh no, my god no. So it was like a thing on the View where one of those girls said, like, Joe Rogan someone who like believes in dragons, And I'm not a Joe Rogan fan, but the clip they were talking about it kind of caused.
Speaker 3: Like a flare up on like Twitter and stuff.
Speaker 4: And the clip they were talking about was from like twenty nineteen, when Joe Rogan was still like a little bit like more on the more lighthearted, just like talking about like.
Speaker 3: You know, a monkey's really strong, you can grip your.
Speaker 4: Face off, but yeah, it's like a it's like a hypothetical, like what if like dragons were real, and like it's just a more kind of fun conspiracy. It's a thing that makes you go hm, as opposed to something that like you just like lose your mind and you know, end up doing like devastating things about So. I don't know, I just thought, I just think it's a very interesting set of insane coincidences that it's interesting.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Asking just asking some questions.
Speaker 3: If there's any.
Speaker 1: Anything other than interesting, Yeah.
Speaker 4: If there's any if there's any Death Grips fans as listeners, I bet they would.
Speaker 3: They're probably a little weird as it is. They would probably get a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of a bit, a bit of a hmm out of this, or they'll lose their mind, or they'll be like, this is talking directly to me.
Speaker 2: There's a very.
Speaker 1: Specific group of people who were arguing that Kendrick Lamar and Father John Misty or somehow cosmically linked because the albums at the same time.
Speaker 2: Supposedly that is.
Speaker 3: Really really weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially with this new one, because no one knew this Kendrick Lamar album is coming out and fucking Father Josh Till maybe he did, maybe that I haven't paid the attention to Father John Mistis in a while, but I do like the new album.
Speaker 3: It's very pretty.
Speaker 1: You play the Kendrick Lamar back album backwards and it's just.
Speaker 2: Somehow.
Speaker 4: Another another fun one like that is the like David Bowie Kanye West one.
Speaker 3: Do you guys know about that?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's like that.
Speaker 4: If you look at the cover of Uh start Us the Street, Yeah, the street he's standing on is cake.
Speaker 2: I remember the.
Speaker 3: Story is kind of like that.
Speaker 4: The person that that Ziggy starred us or the person that David Bowie is singing about who's like a rock star who comes down to save the world and is like a genre defining artist, is Kanye West. I feel like we can probably put that one to bed by everything about that checks out one unless unless what David Billie meant was that like he's going to become like an evil hit Larry and figure right the way that maybe it.
Speaker 1: Can restore balance to the force, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and trains around on time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, don't sleep on Kanye West is the savior of humanity.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean he's doing great things for doing nitrous. It's the best thing that we've heard. So yeah, I don't know. I don't know if that unless the Starman was it in the lyrics that he would just be off NAS all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so. I think that you hear that and sufferget said, right, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: That's what about this?
Speaker 2: Like does NAS have a mute?
Speaker 1: Not NAS the rapper, but like NAS the drink. Does it have like a musical esthetic, like the way that you know, like psychedelic rock has.
Speaker 3: The only people that I knew who drank NOS were people.
Speaker 6: That like just got out of rehab about nitrous oxide NS.
Speaker 7: You're talking about NA the energy drink, No, I mean almost definitely a reference to I think that the energy drink.
Speaker 4: I could be wrong on this, but I think it's brewed with nitrous like Guinness sort of. I could be me, but it might be.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Nitrous is having a moment though, because like galaxy gas, which is like a legal way to do it, and it's very weird. Like yeah, I don't know how much I've talked about my like junkie past, but like like a long time ago, I was a very different bad person. And even when I was like doing like Heroin and Ship, I would see people like huffing things.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, oh, no, that can kill you.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 3: You guys are you guys are crazy.
Speaker 4: Nowthing about inhaling something like I don't know, I have like an old, big giant balloon.
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's because I'm asthmatic and I'm afraid that like if I breathe something in for too long, it's like, oh, it's game over and I can't.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you said for an actual sound, the closest I would say is like there is a Tame and Polo track called Nangs, which it's like slang for nitrous oxide, and the sound is like there's like a sort of robbing yeah, like wobbly keyboard in it that I mean, yeah, that sort of replicates the feeling.
Speaker 1: But I guess I don't know. It's hard to be like, dude, they're there. You can tell they're so like artistic because of the Nangs.
Speaker 4: There's also the new Little Uzivert album where allegedly there's a song where he like rips a galaxy gas rip like in the middle of the song, oh god, even amongst like Uzivert fans, people don't like it are.
Speaker 1: Bad after that. Yeah, it's not a thing I associate with productivity of any sort, no artistic.
Speaker 4: I've always been a skeptic when people are like, oh, the Beatles made good albums because of psychedelics, It's like, no, they made good albums because they were creative they're writing. Yeah, that's not that's not how you can take all the psychedelics you want. It's not gonna make you make abby right right, Like, yeah, I can point in the direction of some people who are cooked off acid. People put a little in front of them and they ain't doing shit. Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, I don't. I couldn't imagine Nitrius doing any better.
Speaker 2: No, I mean because if you think.
Speaker 6: About it, at least, like with psychedelics, people are like I can kind of see them looking at things different. You talk to somebody off the gas or like, nothing happening in there that's worth talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is something you think is underrated? The current switch for you aps a completely non political, potentially huge woman uniting quest to see if we're alone in the universe. That has gotten really fricking interesting the last few years, whereas.
Speaker 1: You on your like do you because we are fans, we're interested, but I also don't really know where we stand, like in terms of do you believe that, did you believe like the David Grush testimony at the David.
Speaker 2: Grush I actually do believe him. Like he's just the and I've seen long form interviews with him and stuff. He's just the right level of I think he like, I'm not saying this is light whatsoever. I think he possibly has set himself with a friend of his has said he's kind of slightly autistic in a way where you can really trust him because he very much values detail and the truth, and like that guy really seems to be an incredibly trustworthy source of what he's saying. Lou Alessandro, I don't know what the fuck that guy's dealers that guys, I smell a rat. There's something.
Speaker 1: Game is but I mean it seems like his endgame is like, we need bigger guns to shoot the alien.
Speaker 2: And that's a thing, right, Lou Alexander. If people don't know, he's one of the sort of foremost people who's been blowing the lead on the current UAP phenomenon and bringing these documents to beer and talking to Congress and stuff. But I think this is the same with Grush. But they just seems something grubbier about it. Was Lou Alexander that everything he sees has to get approved by the Department of Defense, and I'm like, well, then why are they telling us this, Like they don't generally they're not big fans of just full disclosure and transparency. Usually they have an agenda behind releasing information like that. So Loud, I don't know Grush, I'm a grush boy. I'm a grush girl. I don't know what his groupies are called. Grush group is, yeah, networks, I mean it's gush. Social hair is the main reason they distrusted.
Speaker 6: But go ahead, Oh interesting, No, No, I mean I think with all this, like I'm I'm in that thing where like.
Speaker 1: Bro, I need us to not be alone, like I need this, I need.
Speaker 6: This, but I also need to believe to needing need these motherfucking aliens here now. But I guess the thing that I'm like, like everything, it's like, I just give us some modicum of hard evidence, please, Like I just I'm willing, I'm willing. I just need a little bit, just a little something.
Speaker 2: You got to tune in brother the Tic takes the Tic Take video from like three years ago. There was, of course, in all of these military the fishers coming out saying like we've got it on right eye. I saw this thing with my own two eyes. That thing doesn't fly like anything. That sort of obeys the lords of physics. It's fast, right, yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's the other part where it's like when we're talking about like, well we have non biologics that non humor, yeah, non human biologics and those technologies or whatever, and talking about like this global potential network of crash recovery groups and how they send that technology to government, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, just give me a fu something. Just give me a fucking uniform, like a little badge from that ship. Just something a little bit more.
Speaker 6: Because I think that's where most like, I think it just sort of ends with the tik tak videos, and that's certainly enough for me to be like holy shit, what, But now I'm like, what's the sort of next phase of disclosure? And then when I hear all the people all the theories about like dude, they can't fuck you, just take care to drop all that shit.
Speaker 1: Fucking right now, dude.
Speaker 6: I mean they got a private gain that part too, But but really, can I just make with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't make sense that we have alien bodies like that just seems like too big a deal to possibly be true, that we've just got alien bodies somewhere right, Like.
Speaker 1: Trump hasn't done a press conference with one of them, Like, yeah, there's no way he would be able to keep the lid on that.
Speaker 2: Well, that wouldn't endorse him. So he's cut them off right exactly.
Speaker 6: But I mean, so, but what do you think because Grush did say that he's like, I haven't seen them, but I know people that have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alexander, I think sort of walked right up to the line of saying he's basically seeing them. I think, right, yeah, I don't see him too.
Speaker 1: Hey, I want to see him too. Let you see that. We all want to see I want to look at that. Yeah, I'll be cool about it.
Speaker 2: I'll be cool. I think it's underrated as it's just like there's there's so much hectic ship that's a bummer at the moment, and this is just like a very hopefully will remaining be remaining a politically neutral exciting possibility that we can just kind of like, okay, okay, okay, I can just I know climate change is real and democracy is over, and but can I can I just think about the aliens while I smoke a joint for like thirty minutes a little for.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Bro, I would love to smoke a joint with a alien. You know what I mean? Now we're talking about bro, maybe I go, oh, ship, I didn't know you like to get wet.
Speaker 2: PCP my man. Sure like when they sent Denis Robman to North Korea, Snoop Snoop Dogg will be our representative of Earth to Alphiston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and that makes perfect sense to me. Yeah, and I think that's who they would pick. They'd be like, hey, can we take us to your actually, Snoop Dogg, we just get.
Speaker 6: We send some like accomplished like astronomer And they're like, you know, Snoop dog.
Speaker 2: We love that song.
Speaker 6: Drop it like it's hot. It just hit our airwaves from twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wouldn't want to smoke a joint with Neil deGrasse Tyson, but I would with Snoop Dogg. No, no, yeah, no, he's a bummer. Total bummer.
Speaker 1: I feel like he would just start asking you what you thought of him in various ways. Yeah, do you have any cousins?
Speaker 2: Cousins? Well, you guys, this is interesting to me because I didn't know it was any I've always I've felt a little I've got mixed feelings about day duty. He gives off an interesting vibe.
Speaker 8: I feel like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't fuck with Nail Digress tis as a figure first of all, as a like he's apparently you know, as a person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then also just his general like there's a there's a fine line between people who bring additional scientific insight that makes the world more interesting and people who are just fucking haters and are just like no, no, actually, and he like just doesn't seem to have a very good instinct for making things more interesting instead, Yeah, just is there to like kind of quote back things that sound smart or like point out things that are wrong?
Speaker 2: And it just I don't know, I'm like, what are you in it for? Then? Man?
Speaker 1: Like, why why are you? Why are we even here? If you're not like on fire to like make space and science more interesting to people? What are you even doing here other than just trying to like corner the market, and like sometimes I feel like he does that, but a lot of the time it just feels like he's just trying to point out when shit is wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd never put my finger on it before, but it's like an own the Libs style of scientific education.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 3: Owned.
Speaker 1: He just shows up places. That's a big stamp owned. You've been degrassed, Yeah, Neil degrass. Tyson's punch out. The worst any scam blake was something he thinks overrated.
Speaker 9: George Armstrong Picket and his charge I think is incredibly overrated. The man was massacred. No, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: With actually that, I'm gonna go with that. I don't know some more enough.
Speaker 9: Okay, it was at Gettysburg Pickets charge. They ran up a hill right into Union. Uh or in your world, Jack the the other side, the bad guy, the Northern aggressors, the Northern aggressors, and s.
Speaker 6: George Armstrong is Custer by the way, Oh Custer was George Armstrong Custer.
Speaker 1: George ed George.
Speaker 9: Pickett, Oh, George Edward Pickett.
Speaker 3: Thank you, dude.
Speaker 6: I pick up a lot from hanging out with Jack because he shows me all of these cards and like.
Speaker 1: And that was my passive aggressive way of correcting. You say, wow, I don't I actually don't know that one a little bit about it. You have a George Edward Oh you mean George Edward Pickett.
Speaker 3: Mistake.
Speaker 9: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I thought you knew about some Civil War battle that I was unfamiliar with.
Speaker 2: But you were wrong.
Speaker 6: This is the weirdest lib version about arguing about the Confederacy show.
Speaker 9: In this scenario, Jack is just a bigot that I got him a William to come say Sherman card and he crossed out to come say so quick with a with a permanent marker. And that's that's another general. And if you want to correct me on that middle name, you're fucking wrong.
Speaker 1: You say George.
Speaker 6: You said William to comes to Sherman, Right, yeah, yeah, George, George Edward Pickett, excuse me, George Armstrong Custer. People say, you know, he fucked up. Georgia is so bad. That's why so much of the bad feelings about the Confederacy rising up remained to this day.
Speaker 9: He could have taken off the gas a little bit. I think General Sherman was went a little too hard.
Speaker 6: Hey, he said he'd make Georgia hal and he did. He did not a liar yet, drunk but not. I read his book a few of it. I really am interested in Sherman. He's just kind of a fucking weird guy.
Speaker 2: I read it pinned down.
Speaker 6: He's hard to pin down where he stood on like slavery, but he knew he hated people that liked slavery. It's just like his writings are very all over the place. But he hey, man, you can, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for real.
Speaker 6: What's crazy too, because all of his ship, he didn't get to fight in any of the wars, so he just spent his time riding his horse around the South and then so and like he missed all these other bigger wars like the Seminole Water showing up late.
Speaker 1: He's getting passed over.
Speaker 6: So then by the time the Civil War hit, He's like, bro, I know this fucking entire map like the back of my hand. I've just been listening to fucking emo music on my horse this whole time.
Speaker 9: I'm ready put me in. If that guy had like four pent up wars.
Speaker 1: In him and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, a little little freaky m m all right, So that let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: Whatever that was that was your overhead thing, Okay, George.
Speaker 1: Something, Edward Pickett's charge, Edward Pickett's charge. That's right, all right, let's take a quick break. Well, come right back and talk about Drake. We're Ryanan.
Speaker 2: And we're back. We're back and we're back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is time press ask you both, what is something you think is underrated? Janey, you want to kick us off this underrated?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, So this is another another one I've just been kind of thinking about a lot lately as we like further like descend into like horrific fascism. But I really I really hate these people. I really hate like the world right now. I really hate a lot of things. But one thing that is really kind of like just sticking with me, that has stuck with me, like since the election is seeing all of these like tasteless losers like gloating and being happy and you know not I would never, by any means hand it to the Nazis, But the Italians had some style, you know, they had some swag.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: In fact, I think if I remember my history correctly, they were only in it for the suits. These people like seeing these motherfuckers like be like, oh my god, church is so aesthetic to going, like having a family is so base, like all these like boring just boring signifiers of like white Protestant Christianity and touting it as this like aesthetic standard of like beauty.
Speaker 3: It's like what happened to taste?
Speaker 4: Like what happened to like I don't know, like I seem to maybe like I'm retconning this in my mind, but like I seem to remember like evil fascists had some form of like I don't know, like taste like like salo like like they were like I don't know, like they were they had they had some kind of evil elegance to them. But I guess it's just like distinctly American that like our form of fascism is like they're making beef tellow come back to McDonald but it's so gross.
Speaker 5: I mean, the only I use as beefcallo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but is actually it's just so gross.
Speaker 1: Like I maybe we were cool after all all along because president, because we're in power the thing that's always cool, right, I don't I don't understand the theory that they they're like we won the guy we like won the presidential election, and therefore maybe we were cool.
Speaker 2: Right, that's presidents aren't cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It also it also ties them with the whole like people like being like the whole kind of push to make conservatism seem like countercultural, seem like punk rock and stuff. It's like, yeah, well, now you control every chamber of government. How fucking punk rock is that? Like how rage against the machine is that?
Speaker 3: Dude? Like it's it's fucking ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Like it's just these people make no good art, no good music, no good nothing, and they get to walk around like they're like the symbols of like aesthetic beauty, and I hate it.
Speaker 3: It makes me so what are there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I heard somebody bring this up.
Speaker 1: I forget who it was, but I do, Like I'm I'm not gonna listen, but who I want somebody to listen to their podcasts Once Trump is an off, Like what are they They're gonna just be like, man, the president is cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And Also another weird thing is how like all these like especially if you're like still like on Twitter, like all of these like right wing accounts like to use like AI, which is like I thought you guys were the ones that had like bronze age statues as like your avatars and.
Speaker 3: Being like this is like peak like blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: It's like but now you're all like proudly touting like AI slop like it's it's ugly. Every everything is ugly, and it's I just hate it. I hate not that, like fascism would be better if it was pretty, so it's for the record, it would still be horrible.
Speaker 2: But they're not even bothering with that part.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think that's what is that we're not even bothering with Like yeah, it's just everything's ugly.
Speaker 3: Everything is a mara fat and gross and I hate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like when history books look back on this period of fascism, it's gonna be like, wait, how did they fall for this ship?
Speaker 2: It so awful, I know, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not who who made the quote about like we couldn't like destroy any American cultural landmark because their cultural landmarks are like McDonald's and SpongeBob.
Speaker 1: You know, we spread them out like oxygen, trying to take us down, try and take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and isn't that what's cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they if they if we don't get the Beef's sallow backs a terrorist one.
Speaker 2: That's right, right exactly. Carmen was something you thinks underrated.
Speaker 5: Oh, I think getting your whole face done is so underrated. And this is for assists people too. If you if you don't like something about your face, go and see a plastic surgeon. Baby. Now, granted, mine was covered by insurance, and it did cost two hundred thousand dollars for the insurance, not for me, but I got a ten hour surgery on the day before election day, and Janie came and visited me in the hospitals. But the day with me in the hospital in fact on election day, and it was just a great time. I loved getting surgery. I love being in the hospital. I you know, it's great.
Speaker 1: And I'm the one person who had a good election day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, horrible election day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I will say I was watching from my bed in the hospital and I was like, you know what this is.
Speaker 3: This fucking sucks.
Speaker 5: And I quickly emailed my my other surgeon to schedule my fucking breast augmentation.
Speaker 4: So I was trying to make her feel better too, Like I was like, I brought her some soup, like we're hanging out.
Speaker 3: She was like a little worried about it. I was like, you know, I think it's going to be close.
Speaker 4: And this was my opinion for a long time, like I think it's going to be really close, but I think she'll eke it out at the end. I even had a kind of fun theory in my head that maybe the Democrats would lose the popular vote. But when the Electoral College obviously none of this, none of this came to be. But I felt like bad because like I I lied to her. Yeah, I told her everything was going to be okay, and.
Speaker 3: I was just I don't know.
Speaker 4: I felt bad because I pay attention to this stuff, and I like, I mean not saying Carmen doesn't, but like all of my people that I knew, I was trying to like reassure them, like, look, I think she'll eak it out. I think it's gonna be okay. Yeah right, And I was not really wrong. They hand down the road for a couple more years.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: Guys. Trump was so cool the first time. Everything he was so dumb.
Speaker 2: He was so dumb.
Speaker 1: He couldn't even do nothing. Oh my god, night is about to get so funny.
Speaker 4: Punk, We're about to get another American idiot guys like I won't say real quick. I spent election night playing a board game called Storm the Capitol with my bandmates. We were supposed to be practicing, but I was like, God, I'm too distracted. Can we just play this board game?
Speaker 3: And it's a board game made like by J six No it was it was made by Yeah, it was made by like ironic, like lefty, like podcaster type.
Speaker 4: It's a very fun board game. It shouts out to the Storm the Capitol. Board game you play is like The Capitol Police versus. It's like it's like an insurrection Monopoly mixed with like a Magic the Gathering type combat system.
Speaker 3: It's really fun.
Speaker 6: Like so then are you as Capitol Police like faced with like a card. It's like do you acknowledge your inner inclinations to support these people and look.
Speaker 2: The other way? Or do you do your job?
Speaker 1: No, it's more like it with Biked Alaska.
Speaker 4: I have like the Capitol Police is like the Dungeon Master kind of and you control like three different police officers and then everyone else is like the insurrectionists and they have to go through flipping desks to find ballots and once they find enough ballots, they have to get to the Great Rotunda, climb onto the roof, and go and meet President Trump for his victory. And I'm trying to stop that and you get like car there's like event cards where you have to like sing the national anthem and its entirety. There's one that's like a fuck Mary Kill type thing. The event cards are really fun. It's really fun and it's entirety, like with the slavery versus I don't know, we don't know about that. As the dungeon Master, when I did that, I well, my friend didn't know the national anthem, so I don't think he would have known the I don't think he would have known. The remix of it.
Speaker 1: No, I just feel like that would be like the deep cut of that game. It's like, no, the full version.
Speaker 4: Well, if you're playing as Capitol Police, you can. You have free will to to throw in things like that if you want.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's gonna be uh, it's gonna have the same evolution as the game Monopoly, where like Monopoly started as a satire of capitalism.
Speaker 4: Now it's just like, oh yeah, yeah, it would be funny seeing conservatives like they're in prison playing.
Speaker 1: Start to get bought by Parker Brothers.
Speaker 3: There's nothing like the real thing. What is something, Carmen that you think it is overrated?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think it's gonna anyone's surprised. But the US, the US sucks. I went on. I left the country for the first time in October. I went to Miles's homeland of.
Speaker 1: Age, Japan with my mom, who knows based on what Trump does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what do it?
Speaker 5: Because you can buy a really nice house in Japan for not much money, which is pretty great. But I'm a total wiaboo now because they fucking blew my mind with the public transportation over there. Imagine that every city has inner city transportation on a train that comes like every two minutes. And imagine that you could get on a bullet train and go fucking anywhere you want to in the country. And imagine that the trains don't smell like piss.
Speaker 1: Because they smell like pooh.
Speaker 2: Don't smell like poo galaxy gas flavor galaxy.
Speaker 5: But imagine that every train station and is a fucking mall with public restrooms and like shops and like lockers and all of this shit. I'm just like, wow, they are like in the year like four thousand and twenty four.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're describing so many sci fi universes that I've seen, and it's just like, nah, we just went to Japan and like showed all what looks like.
Speaker 2: And you guys were like, wow, sandwich on the train platform.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, imagine if we fucking cared enough about our own people to do public transportation right like that, it would never happen.
Speaker 3: And they get to be a fascist country too.
Speaker 2: They did it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, they did their things.
Speaker 5: I was actually there during up the political uh, like when the election campaign was kicking off, so I saw a bunch of like stump speeches, and some of them sound I obviously didn't know what they were saying, but the tenor was yes, you know, and I know that they do have very nationalists like politics.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it's like even for me, like I love being in Japan, but like there's still that part where like I'm not really considered Japanese like so broadly in through the eyes of like traditional Japanese culture, which fucking sucks because I speak Japanese fluently without an accent and people are.
Speaker 2: Like, where'd you learn how to talk like that?
Speaker 1: And I'm always like, because I'm Japanese right right.
Speaker 4: You're like the uh you know those YouTube videos where it's like white boy goes to Chinese village speaks fluent Mandara.
Speaker 3: And locals.
Speaker 2: Like how would you do that? Brown skin?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, my mother had several moments where they made fun of me for because I tried to speak as much Japanese as I possibly could, because I understood that like that's the most one of the most respectful things that you can do, and I, you know, try to follow like the customs and stuff for as best I could. But one time, you know, I was like, Ohio, because I'm you know, like to the like attendant at the seven eleven, and then the guy, the Japanese guy who came after me was like, good morning, and I was like, fun of me.
Speaker 4: Right now, I do the same thing when I'm practicing Spanish, Like when I'm like working somewhere with a bunch of Spanish people, I'll well, I'll try to like practice my Spanish and they'll be like, oh no, it's okay, Like like I feel like the only way I could learn is if I was like, had like a dialogue with someone, but don't like they just they don't. I guess it's not their emotional labor to teach me Spanish, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, no, I want to. I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to do it. I want to Kiero yo, Kiero to do it.
Speaker 1: Caro practice card Spanol.
Speaker 3: No, okay, I want to be like Denzel Washington and training day.
Speaker 1: Right right right, yeah, you want to be smooth with it.
Speaker 2: I get I'll tell you, man, somebody smoke PCP.
Speaker 1: You never get a ride with Janie. Watch you hit this real quick. Damn Carmen, I didn't know he got wet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, Carmen, that's galaxy.
Speaker 5: That's what she did on the day she came to visit me in the hospital.
Speaker 3: I just ripped my face off.
Speaker 2: I was like, I gave you the bowl of soup.
Speaker 1: He has some super like oh ship, Carmen.
Speaker 2: I like to get wet like this soup. No.
Speaker 3: I walked in.
Speaker 4: I walked in there and some biton that brings the nurse and I was like, she's in pain. I like took the percocets from her. I was like thanks.
Speaker 1: I walked out.
Speaker 3: See you later, Karmen, good luck with face, Janie.
Speaker 2: What's something he thinks overrated?
Speaker 3: Percocets and Galaxy Gas? No, just kidding.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say. I don't know if you'll talk about this, but Blue Sky is overrated. Okay, the Twitter alternative is overrated. And I'm only saying this because I will acknowledge it is a lot better than Twitter as a social media app because there's you know, you can log on see people do all the things Twitter does, and there's just like ninety nine percent less little hitler's running around and ruining everyone's day. But I see a lot of people make kind of like small bean posting about it, like oh.
Speaker 1: It's so nice.
Speaker 3: It's so nice have a little like safe pace like that, And.
Speaker 4: It's making me feel crazy because have we not forgotten that, Like social media is just like bad, like like the concept of social media is not good. Like every time every second you spend on it, you'd be better off suited, like reading a book or.
Speaker 3: Like tea, Like, yeah, I don't doing anything else.
Speaker 1: This guy is health food. It's what I'm going to be doing instead of spending time with my children. Yeah, I know, George ti Kai's posts are fairly wholesome. Yeah, because AOC is here and she yeah, like it's just it's I don't want to say it's I am on Blue Sky as an alternative to Twitter, but I also have the same It was in the running for my over age. I know you were going to say that yesterday.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow. I just there's so much of it as like people being and I'm not siding with because I think like Nazis are also like coming and being like blue Sky sucks.
Speaker 3: It's like an echo chamber.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, just spent forty four billion dollars making your own echo chamber.
Speaker 3: So like, but it does just feel like a.
Speaker 1: Lot of the content that gets surfaced is people talking about how good blue blue, how good it feels to be on Blue Sky. Yeah, like not enough, just like oh, this is what I would get on Twitter, except without the Nazis, which is what I'm there for.
Speaker 6: I think it's like the difference between like drowning and water and drowning in boiling water, where it's like Twitter for like, oh I was drowning and boiling water is terrible. Yeah, so nice to be drowning in a regular water.
Speaker 5: High also it's doom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. True.
Speaker 4: It makes me like even before Elon Musk bought Twitter, you were having like these same people being like oh another day on late bird app hell sites and it's like you were calling this a hell site before, Like now you have another hell site, like you have another Like the whole point of Twitter is just to like see things that make you kind of mad real quick, like to see things that make you like disagree, start conversations. And Blue Sky really isn't that much different, Like I mean, there's a lot of the fun things. There's a lot of people I like that are funny. There's a lot of funny jokes, Like social media can be like fun, and blue Sky has the legs for it to be like fun now that it has like people on it. But let's just not like kid ourselves, Like social media is not like good and like making like another one even though it's less you know, overtly hitilari and it's not really like good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, And I think the other part too is when you really think about it, Like I obviously once after the election, I'm like, all right, thish's fully cooked. But a lot of the thing too, I feel like there are a lot of like libs who were like don't want to face the Twitter reality of it, and they want to go to the blue sky version of whatever political reality they want to be in. And because the moderation is better, they're interacting less with the posts that are like reminding them of like how terrible the campaign was and how it failed, and you can sort of surround yourself with like other people.
Speaker 1: And like, oh, I mean the Dems did pretty good, man, for like you.
Speaker 5: Think about it with the Chinese great idea?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I mean like yeah, for me, I think the one good thing is like it does feel like if the people I talk to are who they are and it's moderated.
Speaker 1: But again that's a slippery slope because.
Speaker 6: You excel you we look like a couple of years down the line, and inevitably it's gonna have the same problems Twitter did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quite it is.
Speaker 4: It is like it does feel better, like I like, as opposed to Twitter. It certainly does feel better not having like the blue checks, not having all the gimmick posts, not having as much AI slop, and not having to deal with again just millions of little fucking Hitler's running around, But I mean, I don't know, I don't know how happy I should really be about that, Like I don't know, like and also it's very concerning that like Twitter, like one, Like it's very concerning that like Elon Musk, like his like whole gambit like that he didn't even want to do to begin with that. He tried to wriggle his way out of that. It eventually worked. He turned it into a right wing media sphere. And I mean, I can't I'm not gonna confidently say like that like swung the election anyway, but like it worked, you know, like like all these other things, like true social parlor, all those like conservative things didn't work. But buying Twitter and transforming it in the way that he did obviously had some kind of like net benefit.
Speaker 3: And that is a bit concerning.
Speaker 4: Like who's to say, like, I don't know, someone else doesn't come along and do this to Facebook meta like Instagram, Like I don't know, China, please hold onto TikTok, we need you, President G. I'm still in line to vote for President G.
Speaker 1: In line.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like the tech billionaires might do it themselves. They might do it for like Mark Zuckerberg might not need.
Speaker 2: To sell face.
Speaker 3: No exactly, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It seems to just be damnit.
Speaker 6: He wants to actually pretty cool so he can keep putting up his SoundCloud wrap tracks with T Page.
Speaker 1: That's all like.
Speaker 6: Thank be, Like, I don't want to do all that faschip dude. I just kind of want to wear chains and kind of let y'all know. I'm I kind of low key wish. I wish I was a black guy in.
Speaker 4: College outside that we were supposed to get the like Elon Mark Zuckerberg fight that would have actually been like kind of fun and entertaining.
Speaker 3: To shake Paul Mike Tyson fight. It's not too late, though.
Speaker 6: We are just in like open oligarchy now, so I think like maybe we're we as the you know HOI POLLOI we can we can maybe motivate them to fight each other to prove to us who we should follow.
Speaker 1: What happens to feel like a Trump's version of Putin's oligarchy would be instead of like god, damn, these people have the slipperiest balconies at their uh their windows, keep following the he would just have them like fight to the death for his entertainment and the Octagon.
Speaker 3: You know, it's kind of on Netflix Audiator glad Jator, Yes, Gladiator.
Speaker 2: So all right, let's take another break. We're going to come back and we will hit a couple of news stories. We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: And it is that time of the year where news stories have to be written in advance as journalists go on vacation, and so the dictionaries of the world come together and give them a little a nice little layup with by naming a bunch of words of the year or a new word that we're adding to the dictionary this year. And they're hit and miss, you know, like Miriam Webster like hits hits sometimes with like one, it's like, yeah, oh yeah, that's so weird. That wasn't a word this time last year, and now it's like in the lexicon.
Speaker 6: I think it was authentic was their Webster's Disha word of the year. But we know about on that before, but that that one was number two. But riz riz is like a word that's I can't stop here. I love as young people are just telling me. I've got it constantly everywhere I go. But I feel like the one thing we can count on is dictionary dot com is going to fuck it up. So last year their word of the year was hallucinate, as in AI hallucinates, which is bullshit, Like that's that's AI is not hallucinating.
Speaker 1: AI is just making ship up because it's long, because it's bad technology, and it's they just like chose a like buzzword used by AI marketers to try and like spice up what their how their AI fucks up to be.
Speaker 6: Like trying to use that in your job when you fuck up and see if you don't get fired and you're like, oh, sorry, hallucinating like a motherfucker back.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I crashed the folk left I was hallucinating. Why how would I need to get into the y?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean every time your auto correct like puts the wrong word in, call that a hallucination like that, because that's essentially all the AI is doing.
Speaker 2: It's just being.
Speaker 1: Programmed incorrectly and like pointing in the wrong direction.
Speaker 2: And making things.
Speaker 1: I mean, really, what it is is AI is designed to give you an answer, whether it has the right answer or not, and so it will make one up. Anyways, this year, dictionary dot Com went with demure as the word of the year for twenty before.
Speaker 2: I like the video that used demure.
Speaker 1: I haven't enjoyed a single reference, like a single person being like this is very demure, like in reference.
Speaker 2: To that video right now.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: It just was immediately like nobody's like really used it in a fun way.
Speaker 2: It sucked right away.
Speaker 6: I feel like, yeah, it's it's it's fine, like whatever, Like you're just saying like that was a cool moment on TikTok. But then it's also a thing where now, like you, a lot of us are like, dude, stop fucking saying that, like just like, yeah, shit is cooked already, Like we're done. That's why I guess hallucinate is better and more because it's referencing something that is going to affect all of us and even if they're not, you know, sort of interrogating that in a more meaningful way.
Speaker 2: It's the word is hallucinate.
Speaker 6: Whereas again, when you look at oh, you said, oh, of course, yeah, I understand the trans girlies love and demure because I know the creator of that. There was a whole thing I remember because the IP got stolen and there's all this problem who can use demure and all this other shit but the thing with like you look at like just other words of the year that feel that they encapsulate things they feel.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess who partying me is like, why do I even give a fuck? The world's fucking.
Speaker 6: Ending man, and we're talking about TM mirror because in shitification was the I don't know, I've never heard of this dictionary, probably because I'm American.
Speaker 1: The Macquarie Dictionaries word of the Year.
Speaker 2: Christ was Squary, the guy who wrote Usual Suspects.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, is in shitification. But it's also interesting the honorable mention. One of the honorable mentions is raw dogging, So maybe we always do need to reference something from social media as our word of the year.
Speaker 2: I'll, i'll yeah raw dog.
Speaker 6: But even then I'm even dubious about people that are actually raw dogging flights. I know there are some people who literally don't need anything, but to so many people were posted shit like ya, I just raw dog the whole flight, the fucking Berlin fam.
Speaker 2: No you didn't wait, did it? Sorry? Did one of the dictionaries leaned its hift of word the year to rule dogging or was it like a finalist that was.
Speaker 1: For Acquari's yeah, that was a honorable mentions out and gertification word of the year, I mean, right to disconnect and raw dogging we're honorable, man. Yeah, basically a word for sobriety.
Speaker 2: I like, well, let's be real, raw dogging is having six without a condom on, Like that's what that is, what there comes from that They are mainlining, you know the term the dictionary, the stage square poindixters at the dictionary. You know what we fucked too, raw dogging? Will we're actually cool guys and we got to parties. Yeah, yeah, well look we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 6: We don't still don't know Webster's word of the year, and we'll cover year and review of.
Speaker 1: The years and review articles that we do at the end of the year. Did you were the were the youths of New Zealand using demurror a lot?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: I mean obviously cause social media has created such a global culture.
Speaker 2: But yeah, did you hear? Definitely ahead of my I produce too Queer podcast basically, and yeah, demure he hit a big moment. But it's like culture moves so quickly. Now these memes like move through the population. They go they hit so big and they're there for about three afternoons and then it's on to the next thing, which does make it tricky. You know, if you're going to start leaning into internet culture to determine your word of the year, it's like dog shit has gone way too quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, wait, I think that's what I'm like. It just immediately felt like a fifty five year old magazine editor was like, all right, you need to get me five headlines with demure in it. Like every time I saw it used after the initial video was just just felt like people trying to fucking fit it in and like having no familiarity with the culture and like how how it was being used.
Speaker 2: Just felt like, l city, Can I throw something up at you guys and you can, like feel free to you cut this right, yeah if you want. I just like I think the whole the hikoy thing in the treaty moment we're heaving in New Zealand at the moment, I would feel bad to not at least float the balloon to talk about that as a dude from New Zealand with the audience that you guys have. And I'm not very like super well versed on it, but I just think it's such a crazy important thing that's happening at the moment, and if you guys wanted a little sort of information on the ground about.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, I would love to hear about how it feels in New Zealand right now, and yeah, just what's happening.
Speaker 6: But tim, I do want to ask because in America we get very narrow sort of depictions of what is happening outside of the US, especially if it's intersecting with things like indigenous culture. But I know, a few weeks ago, or maybe it was last week now, at this point, time flies so slow and fast. At the same time, I think a lot of people on the internet were like, yo, they're doing the hakka like in parliament in New Zealand, and most of the discourse sort of ends like that, shit's sick me look at it, like looking at like a broader historical context than in terms of colonialism and stuffing like this is amazing and also a heartbreak, like what can you just sort of break that down for our audience as well, because I don't want everybody to think it was like that's sick. They just did the hakka and and everything is okay, because that's for most of us tuned in. It sort of came across.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you asked about this. It is such an incredible moment to be living through, like as New Zealander and Altiro and New Zealand at the moment. So a bit of beck story with this. There is a guy called David Seymour who was the leader of a right wing libertarian party here called Act and he is this very weird guy who has just stuck around and been funded by very rich people. I don't know if you guys have talked about the Atlas network before, which is like this super capitalized right wing media and political network that exists around the world. You've got a couple, you got quite a few, but.
Speaker 1: Basically all libertarians are so well funded, and.
Speaker 2: It's always it's always these like super opaque, invisible like trust situations where the funders are hidden from public view, and these public interest groups just pop up and they've got like incredibly slick advertising and they employ like fifty people even though no one votes for them. In New Zealand, it's like where the fuck you guys getting your money? And a lot of really good journalists have dug around and tried to figure that out, and I think the short answer is billionaires from America mainly. So this guy, David Seymour has proposed essentially to lay down in law some different definitions of the Treaty of White Tonguy. The Treaty of White Toungy is the legal document that is sort of the foundational document of New Zealand that was signed in eighteen forty. It is the legal basis for white people such as myself to sort of be in this country, which had the sovereignty of was looked after by the Maldi people, who are the indigenous people here in New Zealand. So when Europeans started coming here, British people came here, there was a lot of terrible shit that they were doing. They're basically like criminals and causing a lot of trouble and they kept coming and so a lot of the Ewe, which Ewi is the name for a tribe like a Maldi tribe. So they kind of came together and they were like, hey, you guys got to sort your shit out, like we will allow you to form a governmental structure in New Zealand because you need to sort all of these trouble making British people out who were like drunks and thieves and starting violence and raping our women and all this sort of stuff. So there is two versions of this document. There is the English language version, the Treaty of White Tongue, and then there is the Maori language version, which is ted. The definitions, as you could probably guess in the two with the language that are used, are quite different. So we've got a problem here. We've got this one document which is supposed to mean the same thing, but in two languages, which actually means quite different things and guarantees different rights and responsibilities to each party. And there has been a long, storied, slow productive sort of march of progress of people over the many decades since we've had like real low points in our national history trying to deal with this issue. But there's from about nineteen seventy, which was when there was a resurgence of Maori language in New Zealand. So Maori have their own language, Terreo, and it got beaten out of them at school, like they could not use it by dint of violence. There was a resurgence of that that started in seventies which has started a real revitalization of the culture and the whole Maori worldview, which is like being this really beautiful and kind of world leading indigenous movement and a real beacon of hope to other Indigenous people around the world. And like most kiwi's really embrace this, Like average kiwis really embrace this thing.
Speaker 3: They love it.
Speaker 2: Of course it's got its detractors and stuff at the at the right fringes in particular, but like it's been a really beautiful, slow moving sort of journey towards how we get this thing together. This politician, David Seymour, libertarian, really well funded by overseas donors, has managed to just by sticking around and taking slings and arrows over the years. He's now the Deputy Prime Minister of New Zealand and this weird coalition right wing government that we've got, and he has proposed a bill which all the other parties said, we're not going to like endorse this whatsoever, but he's got a first reading of it which would try to redefine basically the terms of the treaty. And it has been one of the proudest moments of my New Zealand life to just see every mild you know, group and all of their allies come together and just say not on your fucking life, dog. Now we've made way too much progress for you to come in here and fuck this shit up. So there was a what's called ahkoy, which is a peaceful walk that went like what is this I think is about eight hundred kilometers from Auckland to Wellington and they even started further north. So they did this huge march down the country where they gained tens of thousands of people along the way to come to the to the seed of power at Parliament and go nah. And then you've seen like the hacker that was in Parliament, TJ Pernada, who's an All Black. He did a very specific haucker targeted around this issue during an All Blacks game recently, and there's just been it's like against France, yes, yeah, yeah, that's right, yeah right, and it's oh Italy maybe Italy actually Italy match It's I would implore people to kind of, if you've got the time and nation, dig into this issue because I think New Zealand could act as a real beacon for how other countries could try and deal with this. We're by no means perfect, obviously, but I think just there has been a genuine, concerned effort in my lifetime for us to try and figure out how to live together and sort of enrich the Maori culture and also like help this systemically oppressed people who are represented terribly and all the statistics you would expect like health and imprisonment and education and stuff, because we fucking beat the shit out of them and took their language away and their land away, and all of this stuff is guess what these implications of that down the line. And my fear at the moment is that this story is bubbled up on the world stage a bit and it's kind of drawn the attention of all these right wing you know, sort of manosphere podcast types where they just see the surface level and I've already seen like just little glimpses of the commentary on that, and I'm like, fuck, that's such a it feels to me such a dangerous thing that these guys with massive platforms who have zero context for what's actually going on on the ground here just making these flippant comments. There's one there's an interview in particular, which like, I don't know if it'll translate super well if you don't have New Zealand context, but a guy called Jack Tame, who's one of our journalists for TV New Zealand here, interviewed David Seymour last week and kind of dismantled his argument pretty well. I thought he was like, if you've got an agreement between two parties, isn't it completely unjust that one of the parties, which is the government, gets to completely redefine the terms of it just edits behest. Yeah, so it's an interesting moment to be living through. And yeah, I think David Seymour has underestimated just how much he's like kept the hornets nest here, right, which is kind of cool to see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think, I mean, like the one article I read that was like an on from nbcnews dot Com was just so like devoid of details. It was just kind of like they're talking about negotia redefining a contract to the certain support without really kind of got drilling into the humanity of it and the history of it, because that's what's so important. And I think for an American audience who obviously has its own terribly sordid history with how the government was interacting with Indigenous people. It's like a like unfathomable like that. They're like wow, because the way this there was no treaty or anything. This was just merely like reforced relocation. And now we're saying, well, like you know, you want to be your own coruntry, then don't ask us for help and here you go, and we'll turn our backs on you and then wonder why things are falling apart. And yeah, I'm I'm always very heartened when I see how just how different our cultures are in that respect. And yeah, I mean, I there is something to that that I would hope could be like something inspirational. But how are these like chud dudes trying to sort of hijack the conversation around.
Speaker 1: It's while that the manisphere has sided with like a politician who went on Dancing with the Stars and.
Speaker 2: Dare and like not the all black like you know Rugby.
Speaker 1: It's like any credibility, any claim, like where there America is like having this crisis in media where they're like, how do we attract men like and be like more manly to attract and it's like it has nothing to do it.
Speaker 2: They just want to be fucking racist. They're just like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so much of it is just them looking for a fucking excuse to be fucking racist pieces of shit and like it has nothing to do like it. If, if ever there was an opportunity for them to be like okay, which is the cooler, more manosphere thing, I think it would be siding with the Maori, not a hundred billionaire libertarians.
Speaker 2: The thing is that they have the side of this is like, isn't it sort of pot of you know, taste offster and fuel man culture to be against the man like, well, you are archetypes and the hero supposed to be the guy who's like going against the system and defending you know, the downtrodden.
Speaker 1: That is.
Speaker 2: I don't think there could be a more stark example right now in New Zealand. Then the interest that David Seymour is representing and the Malden people who are like just standing proud and strong and developing their own systems to enshrine their culture and their language and their rights you know that were given to them not that long ago in a legal fucking document, which is the whole reason why white people are here in New Zealand, Like, surely they are there if you're looking for those kind of comic book style superhero archetypes, like you got one steering you in the face. But unfortunately, yeah, you would have to probably let go of a bit of your racism and intense kind of right wing libertarian economic political view, which is what a lot of this spoils down to. And that's kind of the bit that I find exciting is what is good for maldi is good for everyone like it is it is It is stewarding the environment. It's like a deep connection and protection of the environment in saying like we need to protect the water that we fucking drink and the wildlife that lives in the environment that we inhabit, and the whole concept of land ownership, like I know this is a common story with indigenous people around the world, but it's just like, what are you talking about. You don't own land, you fucko. You walk around on it and you kind of you can like take resources from it to sustain yourself. But reasonalce extraction and stuff is just so antithetical to the multi worldview by and large. And I always I don't want to get too out in front of my skis. I'm not Maulori, so I don't want to represent the whole multi worldview, but it's a cool thing to watch as a New Zealander at the moment, the pushback because it has been bigger and broader and louder than expected, and it is kind of nice to see around the world, even though it's during the attention of these right wing podcast dudes. The bulk of things that I'm seeing as well, like on read it and there are going this looks fucking what's going on in your parliament? Dude? That looks cool?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, yeah, it is interesting to see how I think it makes sense though, the two that like in the manisphere, they only respect sort of like violence and absolute power, so they would eventually suicide with colonizers to be like, well, you know they got colonized, dude, it is.
Speaker 2: What it is exactly, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think that's what's kind of that's that's something that I think, I mean, I hope to see sort of that sentiment change. But the one thing that it feels like is becoming a theme more and more is like you get these sort of right wingers really get gassed up on their own bullshit and then they're like, oh, not everyone thinks like this and it's actually getting a massive response. Those are the kinds of things, and like we need to keep our eyes on because I think at the moment we're in this country, a lot of people are not sure what to do about anything, and summerre just like do I just retreat to comfort? Do I just keep my head down? And I think a big thing is going to be about making yourself, like making it be known where you stand and what you stand for are in a much deeper level. But that bridge will be crossed fairly short.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Please like and review the show if you like. The show means the world.
Speaker 1: De Miles he he needs your validation.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 1: I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to you Monday.
Speaker 2: By