Speaker 1: What's happened? Everybody. Welcome to Wednesday of Texans All Access from the Texans Radio Studio. I'm your host, John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans, and we got plenty to do on Titans Week today. You know, Wednesday's our day with Nick Cassario. Uh So we'll have Nick here in a little bit. We'll have little Cutlet with Juice Scrugs as well. Stephan and Zalez a newcomer. You saw her on Texans three sixty, but she's new to the slant. Formerly a deep slant, but now the slant. She sits down with Walter Payton Man of the Year candidate, the Texans representative John Weeks. One of the best dudes you're gonna find on and off the field, and obviously that's what it recognizes. We're also gonna hear from Mike Keith, the longtime voice of the Tennessee Titans. He and Mark they've been calling games since two thousand and two. Mike's been calling him in Tennessee since the team formerly known as the Oilers moved to Tennessee. Had it from there. Longtime. Boys. These guys know each other. That's a great conversation. A little bit later, Drew, Dory and I go in the lab and man, we went all over the place with this one. This is a true in the lab because Drew and I were, boy, we are feeling it. It started with one question that led to something else, that led to something else, that led to something else. So there's a lot going on in that in the lab. We'll have that a little bit later. We gotta look at the injury report and see where it stands. And I can tell you right now not going to be something we love seeing. Not at all. CJ Stroud not at practice today. Still in the concussion protocol. Now, there are different stages or phases in concussion protocol, and you've got to meet certain standards to be able to move on to the next phase. So we'll see if CJ is out there on Thursday. He was not out at practice. On Wednesday, he and a number of others were not at practice. We'll get to injury report a little bit later in the show, but we got to kick it off. Executi Vice President and general manager of your Houston Texans, Nick Cassario. We always get Nick going a little bit, So here's Nick with me and Mark.
Speaker 2: And now with us in the Hunday Texans Radio studio, it's Texans executive vice president and general manager Nick Cassario.
Speaker 3: Nick, welcome, good to.
Speaker 4: See you, to see you guys.
Speaker 3: Titan Week, big week back in the division.
Speaker 2: Let's recap the Jets a little bit before we get into Tennessee.
Speaker 3: What did you see on Sunday?
Speaker 2: I know it did not go as well as you wanted at all, but what needs to be worked on coming out of this game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, bottom line.
Speaker 5: Is we just didn't execute the things that we needed to execute in the game. Give the Jets credit, they made more plays than we did. And you kind of look and identify some of the keys that we did Mark going into the game offensively, defensively, and we really came up short in all two or three areas or the bullets that we identified, So credit to them, but we really didn't deserve to win because we didn't play well. So we have to make some corrections and it's just like any week, kind of have to flush it regardless of the outcome, and then prepare for the opponent, try to make some adjustments and modifications. We'll look at where we are with some of the players that may may or may not be available for this week. So just kind of get ready for this week, kind of understand what happened. Maybe I do some things that we can maybe fix and there'll be some maybe some carryover. Otherwise we kind of have to flip and focus on the Titans and what they do.
Speaker 1: Nick. All year, you and de Maker two have talked. Whenever we've asked you about injuries, you've albably said, we'll figure it out. I mean, there's really no other attack you can take. But someday it felt like, oh my gosh, they're really kind of piling up. How tough and how difficult does that make the week for you beyond what it's been already this year?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you sort of have to react to what happens during the course of the game and just understand the nature of the player's condition and what is availability is really you want to look in the short term, is he going to be available for this particular game. So the sooner we have that information, the better then we can plan accordingly. So injuries are part of football. We see it all around the league. Essentially every team has to deal with something on some level. What it does it creates another opportunity for another player that maybe hasn't played as much. So we feel comfortable with the players that are in the building. Some players have shown up consistently week to week in practice, they haven't really had the opportunity in the game, so maybe this is the week where they get that opportunity. So you never know when it's going to happen, why it occurs. You just have to be prepared and then go through the week, go through the process, and get ready to play football.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it always points out, and we're two and a half months away from the combine right now, but it always points out how people get obsessed with the starting lineup. But as you just pointed out, in this league, that could not be less relevant. It's about the entire depth chart and beyond right mark.
Speaker 5: It's interesting, Waver, just actually having this conversation James Lotfert and I, and I think there's a propensity league wide. Everybody kind of focuses on quote unquote the stars, but there's fifty three players on a roster and there's eleven players on the field on a snap on each play, So we have to look our responsibilities, look at the the roster top to bottom, one through fifty three, plus the practice squad, which we've talked about, I would say excessively. So that's the reality. That's the truth. And you've seen a lot of players who maybe they're not highly thought of, they get an opportunity and they become more of a household name. I mean, Tommy DeVito is a good example of a player who really nobody even was talking about, and he's had an opportunity to play here and the Giants have won three games. It's credit to you know, coach Dable and you know Joe and what they've done. But that's the NFL. That happens to everybody. Every team's dealing with it. I mean, you just look around the league. It's inevitably each game something happens. You're looking and we'll talk about the Titans here in a minute, but you talk about the best player in the league. One of the best players in the league didn't play last night and they went down to Miami and won.
Speaker 4: Anyways, So that's just the NFL.
Speaker 5: So our responsibility to try to identify players that we think have the right traits and characteristics come in here with the right mindset and the right work ethic and then.
Speaker 4: Go out there and prepare to play. Everybody has to prepare to play.
Speaker 5: We're gonna make players inactive, and there's gonna be players that a man in the practice squad.
Speaker 4: At some point you're gonna need everybody. That's the truth.
Speaker 2: Do you have any players represented by Tommy DeVito's agent?
Speaker 4: We have his Actually, his agents are really good.
Speaker 5: Dude, Sean, we've had a good Shawn still is his agent, but we've had a good relationship going back to our time in New England. I would say he's Italian through and through to the nth degree. So, but Sean's a great guy and it's done a good job obviously identifying a pretty good player.
Speaker 3: Are you inspired by what he wears?
Speaker 1: Nick?
Speaker 4: I don't have a fedora like that.
Speaker 1: If you wear a vest version of that.
Speaker 5: With the yeah, with the fedora, yeah, I don't think the vest go over the Italian heritage very well.
Speaker 1: So nick I feel like the poster child, if you will, for what we've been talking about, being ready for your moment at any point and then capitalizing on it as a guy you know well and everybody got to know because of the interception he has the Super Bowl, and that's Malcolm Butler, a guy that when he gets the opportunity finally in the Super Bowl, he makes the most of it. In a situation like that, How when did you guys feel like, Okay, he's ready for that opportunity, Because I feel like that's one of the key things, when you feel like a guy is ready for that opportunity that could come at any point.
Speaker 4: No, it's a great question.
Speaker 5: I mean, just going back, we had a lot of players that were in a similar category in New England, I would say, specific to Malcolm, Malcolm was a player who came to New England on a rookie tryout rookie mini camp weekend, so he wasn't affiliated with the team, so he wasn't we didn't even know who he was, let alone, whether or not he'd be able to make somewhat of an impact. But he came in, he worked out rookie mini camp weekend, we signed to the ninety man roster. He ended up making the roster and I think he was the fourth or fifth corner for most of the year, and then we had some things that happened and took place. But Malcolm was a player who showed up in practice, had a knack for getting his hands on the football. He just had a good he was natural just playing the ball. So I mean there were multiple examples, not only New England league wide where players aren't drafted, they just get another opportunity. Sometimes it changes the scenery. So that's the beauty of this league. It's in I think the way we approach it here and Demiko and I have talked about it. We don't really care where you come from, how you got here. It's really about what you do with your opportunity when you're there, and we have a responsibility to equal the playing field. And the reality is that some teams say, well this guy was drafted here.
Speaker 4: You know we're going to hold on as long as you can.
Speaker 5: I mean, at some point if you have to cut your losses, I mean, then you just have to cut your losses and move on. So uh, you need to have thick skin, no hard feelings, and try to make good decisions and just to understand if a player doesn't work out, just understanding the rationale and the reasoning behind it, and then make sure that if you get into a situation moving forward, you don't want the you don't want to happen in the same way.
Speaker 2: Nick, I'm always shouting out about people who make too big a deal about sacks, except now, because Jonathan g Renard has ten and this has only happened double digit sacks five times in the history of the franchise or five players have done it?
Speaker 3: What did it multiple times? Of course? But what about the kind of year Jonathan Garnard is having for you?
Speaker 2: I know it's not just about the sacks, it's about pressure and other things, but what about his game?
Speaker 5: Yeah, John's had a good year, and I think the one thing about John he's been available. And I think when you kind of look at the arc of his career, when he's been available and he's been out there, he's been productive. You know, his rookie season really didn't do that much. His second season had a pretty good year. Last year he had some bumps in the road, and this year, you know, he's been able to stay, be available and be out there on the field.
Speaker 4: So has a good attitude.
Speaker 5: He works hard, he has a good skill set, and he's got a good playing strength. He has an ability to bend and get the edge and think the defensive line as a whole. We've gotten good production from that group, both on the perimeter and inside. So it's a credit to Jacques and you know Coach Wright and we play eight nine players at the game each week. But you know, John's taken advantage of his opportunity, and you know he's receiving the recognition that you know he deserved. It's based on what is his performance has enabled him to receive some other recognition that he's receiving.
Speaker 1: Nick, I'm reminded as I look over at our other set and I see his name, Brevin Jordan over there. You draft him in the fifth round of twenty twenty one. We've seen in the progress of Bread has another couple of big catches last week in the rain, making some things happen. What have you seen from Brevin? And what more do you want to see, in particular, if Dalton's unable to go and you really need to continue to rely on Brevin in the passing game, what do you want to see even more from him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Brevan's been able to help us in the passing game. He's made some plays. And think when you just look at the arc of his career and he's showing the ability to do that, And I think one of the things that we liked about the player coming out of Miami was his ability with the ball after the catch. And there's some players that once they get the ball in their hands, they do good things. You have some players that are more catch at contact or you know, yards at contact, yards at catch point. But Brevin's got good playing strength for his size. He's athletic, he runs well, he runs strong, he has ability to break tackle, He's got good lower body strength. So I think the big thing is consistency. Any young player looking for consistency, you like Brevin, will tell you he probably hasn't always been as consistent with his performance. There's been a myriad of reasons for that. But it's got a good attitude. He works hard, He's caught the ball, catching the ball at times he's had and he had to drop the week before, but he came back, made some catches and you know the difficult conditions. So but braviits worked hard and you put himself in a position to help a team, and that's all you can really ask.
Speaker 2: Nick Davis gets into the game late against the Jets. We don't know what's going to happen with CJ and the protocol and everything. But what can Davis learn? What could he learn all this time watching CJ? Absorbing whatever he can absorb about this system, having played in the preseason, that.
Speaker 3: Kind of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's say when you have an experience in the system, it always helps. And I may say he's actually an example, played ten to eleven games and they didn't play for two or three games. And sometimes when that player goes back on the field for whatever reason, he's more comfortable. So I'd say that room overall, our room overall, like we feel good about all three players. So obviously CJ has done a great job here this year. Kind of see how the week goes. You know, Davis has played, He's played well with his opportunities. Case has a lot of experience, you know, not only here in Houston over the course of his career, but he's played winning football. So we'll do what we feel makes the most sense for our team here, try to look at our options. Just whoever we have to put in a position he gives us the best chance to win a Sunday against Tennessee, and that's what we're gonna have to do.
Speaker 1: Nick. You know, the fans in this town if there's one team I know Mark would want to beat the Colts. I think most everybody else would want to beat the Titans. So let's get into scouting report. We haven't seen him all year, We're gona see him twice in three weeks. You're scouting report on Tennessee Titans as they are right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, improving football team they've gone through.
Speaker 5: I'd say a lot of change, injury related, some personnel related, but the hallmarks of the team.
Speaker 4: They run the football well.
Speaker 5: I would say, in addition to Derek ty Spears has done a great job. He's really complimented. Derek very was good player at Tulane, so a good running game. Chig Coronquo to tight end is an explosive player at tight end, has some similarities to Brevin And I'd say d Hops playing probably as well as he's had in any point in his career. He is one of the most targeted players in the league his positioned, so wherever he is, you certainly have to be cognitive. And d Hopps been a good player for a long time and he's certainly not slowing down. And will's played better the more he's played. So big strong arm, I mean he has the ability to get the ball down the field and create exposive plays.
Speaker 4: He's very tough.
Speaker 5: You can make plays with his legs and I think you kind of saw a little bit of everything in a Miami game there the other night. So offensively, they've got good skill. They've had a lot of change on the offensive front. On the offensive line shuffle with some guys in and out, and then defensively, it's one of the best red area defense in the league and really starts with the front.
Speaker 4: So I mean, Jefferies, he's a badass.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's one of the best players in the league whether or not he plays, but you always have to count for him. But I've gotten good production from Key Landry's back this year's giving him some good rush production off the edge. Azas has done a good job an inside linebacker. They signed him, you know, played with Demiko and the group out there at San Francisco leads him and tackles in the secondary is where they've probably had the most I would say change of variability to trade and bayered claim some players off of waivers. But they play fairly disciplined, very sound. They make you earn yards. So good run defense good in the red area. They haven't taken the ball away as much, and then offensively have the ability to create explosive plays and.
Speaker 4: A kicking game.
Speaker 5: The center's actually put in there now times with this earlier in the year put of the ball well against Miami. So they're a team that is going to keep the game close and then gives themselves an opportunity in the fourth quarter. And I think you saw everything kind of come to fruition there in the Miami game, all the way to the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they came back. You saw several upsets in the league this weekend. We're getting late in the year. I guess nothing surprises you anymore because the line, the margin is payper thin, right.
Speaker 4: Very thin.
Speaker 5: And the reality is, if if you don't play the game the right way, it doesn't matter who you play. Demiko has mentioned this, We've talked about it. Records in the end really don't matter. A record is really a snapshot of where you are present time. But you still have to go out there and play the game. So you have sixty minutes of football in front of you. So whoever executes better that day is probably going to win, and the team that doesn't probably won't and as you get later in the year, you just run out of opportunities. So our focus right now is try to put everything we can into this week and then getting ready for a good heightens football team on the road who's playing well. So we'll see if we can make some improvements and adjustments relative to what we put on the field against the Jets.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I know the answer this question on my ask anyways, it is December and playing important football. Do you sneak a peek at the scoreboard at times? Do you kind of pay attention to what's going on at times like teams that are around us at the time, Nick, Or is it just we got to focus on our job and what we do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think you just take a quick snapshot to kind of get an idea of what's going on. But in the end, you have to focus on yourself because if you don't take care of your business, nothing else really matters. So focus on our job. Players internally have to focus on individually what they can do to help the team, so their preparation, their practice, their process, and be able to go out there and execute the game playing the right way. Those are the things that are going to matter. The rest of it is for the fans, and I'm sure they'll have fun with them when they're doing it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to bring up the running the football topic this week, Nick, because in the first half it looked like, okay, there's some things going on, and then the second half kind of slowed down. Then the game kind of changed to roll with a lot or whatever the case is. What about the state of the art or the state of the union rather with the running game and where you're headed going into Tennessee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's probably indicative of kind of where we've been all year. We've got our moments, you know, if you had some opportunities where there's been some run lanes and we've able to churn out some good runs, and there's been some other plays where either we don't get a hat on the right guy, or the back misses the cut or a combination. I think we miss a block on the second level, or there's just a myriad of things. So it's gonna be hard to run a football against his front. I mean, this is one of the better things that they do. So see if we can carve out some you know, positive yards and I think the big thing with the running game, and sometimes it's volume and then just putting yourself in a position where it's second in six or seven. It's not so much about getting a thirty or forty yard run, it's just getting incremental progress and kind of putting yourself in a position offensively, you know, where you can manage the sticks a little bit better.
Speaker 1: I felt like we were behind the sticks with a number of a number of times against the Jets on Sunday, Nick, you brought it up earlier. He's the one guy that I in the division that I always I I hate seeing Jeffrey Simmons. How do you prepare It's been said, Okay, he's probably not gonna play, but you can't take that for granted. How do you kind of prepare for Simmons? Because I would imagine he's the kind of guy that, not that you have special game plans for, but he's a guy that can completely wreck the game in certain ways if he's playing and he's not totally account for. How do you kind of go about that preparation with Simmons?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean they have a good front, so they have a lot of players that can But when you have a player that can potentially impact the game in all areas. And Jeffrey's a three down player and he has front versatility. So I think the big thing you have to have an awareness of understanding of the player, and thereous things that you can do to mitigate, let's say, his impact on the game. Then you have to address those during the course of the week. So maybe it's the way you design a running game, or in certain protections, there's gonna make sure that you get extra presence there. But if you do that, then you're gonna be a little bit lighter on a guy like Landry or a guy like Key. So when you have a player that impacts the game that much, you just have to make sure that you don't let that player becomes such a large impact on the game where he completely wrecks the game or ruins right. So it's a credit to him, and I think his consistency and just his toughness and his playing strength and his ability to be a good run player and still impact the passing game. That's what kind of makes him unique because not everybody can do that.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I hate that guy. I mean, I'm sure he's a great guy. I hate seeing him on the other side of the field. I mean he's as No, he's actually a great guy. I think he's there, Walter guy. I mean I just hate seeing him because you I mean, last year we ran that gauntlet of all those guys we're seeing, from Dexter to uh Simmons who saw him twice and then drawn paint to John Allen. So all those guys. Of course, Quinn we thrown there from last week. I can't stand well, how about Den Dexter.
Speaker 2: Lawrence didn't play Monday night, his team won, Jeffrey Simmons didn't play his team one, so you never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 5: Well, it kind of goes back to what we talked about, like the depth of your team. You're going to need everybody at some point, and everybody has good players. So just because you don't have one said player doesn't mean you don't have an opportunity to go out there and play good football. You have to figure out of way, and that's what our job is is to figure out it way each week to put ourselves into position to have success.
Speaker 3: Nick, there are seven bowls on Saturday, only seven.
Speaker 4: There's seven. Realize they already started.
Speaker 2: Yes, how do you deploy people this time of year, if at all, because these are not the power programs playing in these early bowls. I don't know how you handle all that because there might be some diamonds in the rough there.
Speaker 5: Very selectively, there's probably a good chance that we've probably seen just about every player and these respective teams throughout the course of the fall. So unless you may there's something specific that you need to see live, then you're probably not going to go watch the Blue Bonnet Bowl or the Liberty Car My Ex Tax Bowl or now we have the Bowl coming in n RG the twenty seven, so definitely being the tendance for that one. Two pretty good teams, so the ability to actually we haven't seen A, and I haven't seen A and M this year saw Oklahoma State play against Houston. But it's really you have to be selective kind of pick and shoes and if there's really a reason that you need to be at the game.
Speaker 3: You brought up or it came up.
Speaker 2: The Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee that is John Weeks for the Houston Texans, who's been here for a thousand and years and does a very important job. And I liken him to a utility. It's the lights, it's the plumbing. If it goes off, everything's going to go wrong. But you kind of take it for granted, sometimes not you, but people that that job has done extremely well for so long.
Speaker 5: If you want to be going the kicking game, it all starts with the specialists. And nobody's done a better job over the course of his career with his craft and his job than John Weeks. And this award isn't about what he does on the football field. Is his impact that he's had in the community. But I think what it speaks to is just John's consistency and just week after week a year after year, and he's reliable and you could count on him to do the right thing, to be a great teammate and go out there and perform his job. And we've been fortunate to be fairly productive in the kicking game. And it all starts with the good specialists, and John is certainly at the forefront of that.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about this nick last weekend because I'm watching You're a Boss put on a helmet on college game day as the game day picker, and he puts on an old Navy helmet, which was freaking awesome to see. But it made me think about the Army Navy game. Have you ever been to that game? Have you ever been to it and seen it up close? Because it wasn't last.
Speaker 5: We have not seen it live, just watched it from afar, But there's nothing like it, and everybody that's either been to it or experienced it just speaks to the impact that it's had. And I think the one thing I haven't had the ability to do I haven't done yet is actually see a game on campus at West Point.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, So.
Speaker 5: It's that the academy experience. There's nothing like it in college football. But even just the pageantry and everything associated with that game, when you watch it, it just has a different feel and it's it's very unique and there's really nothing like it.
Speaker 2: All Right, So, Nick, we're going to Nashville, I know of an open mic night. Maybe that's not where you're gonna be.
Speaker 4: You guys will be there for the karaoke, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I might know he will.
Speaker 2: But speaking of it's the music capital of the country really and country music of course, but have you ever put on a cowboy hat here at the rodeo or something like that, because I think I don't know if you've enjoyed the road deo or gotten to do it yet here have you.
Speaker 5: I have not been on a cowboy hat. We've seen the rodeo because they they're here during March, during our i'd say off season if you will. So there's a lot of traffic, there's a lot of dirt. Yeah, there's a lot of activity.
Speaker 4: In the building. So we get displaced.
Speaker 3: So concerts partake and yeah, so I think the girls would like it.
Speaker 4: They probably will.
Speaker 5: We probably will have a conversation about now, as you brought it up, Mar.
Speaker 2: Wear that hat, get the boots. That's good stuff, all right, Nick, thanks a lot of good luck this week.
Speaker 4: Thanks fellas.
Speaker 1: Now, we had that conversation with Nick on Tuesday, as we always do, always sit around around lunch time with Nick, and so we have that conversation. So sometimes transactions happen, things happen. Well, something happened as it pertained to Tommy DeVito. He won NFC Offensive Player of the Week. How about that NFC Offensive Player of the Week, Tommy DeVito, his agent shaunts the leto. I just love how Nick, just Nick just jumped right into that question. Man, that was that was pretty cool? Uh? But yeah, how about the two New Jersey quarterback Zach Wilson for the Jets got it against us AFC Offensive Player of the Week Tommy DeVito NFC Offensive Player of the Week. So some good things happening up in New York with their quarterbacks both playing in MetLife on Sunday and Monday. Okay, one of the guys that would be instrumental on Sunday is Juice Scruggs playing that left guard position. See some good things from Juice. I know people are the offensive line has been very good to be giving up sacks and et cetera, et cetera, And I I'm trying to make sure that with Juice, you give him a little bit of a chance. The guy who's only played a few games of football, especially at left guard the NFL. So he's handling some business and he's gonna be standing on business against Tennessee. Now we'll see if Jeffrey Simmons ends up being part of that, but it doesn't sound as if you will. At least this game, the game of Houston. Potentially Jeffery Simmons is there and he'll give lessons to everybody. Well, Quinn Williams gave lessons last week, and Juice did some good things against Quinny Williams. There are also some times that Quentin got his So let's talk to Juice. Drew already caught up with him for a little let in the locker room today.
Speaker 7: Juice Scruggs left guard joins us. Juice, tell me about the challenge that awaits with this front seven of the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, they're a good group, definitely another challenge for us. Just got to come out and play our game and I should take care of itself.
Speaker 7: Tough one on Sunday, But this is a bounce back team all season long. Outside of those first two weeks after loss, Texans have played really well this year, haven't they.
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, we've been playing our ball, but last week it wasn't our ball.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 8: The results, the score says it all. But we just got to come back this week and get back to playing our ball.
Speaker 7: In watching the tape of your work these first few weeks and then being in the game, are you recognizing, Hey, I'm growing in this area. I'm getting better here. This is getting not easier, but I'm advancing us so to speak.
Speaker 8: Yeah, No, definitely, just as a whole. I feel myself getting better like each game and just trying to stack days and really just like you said, just trying to take a little things and just get better at the little things and then eventually it will show up in a bigger picture. But just focus on the little things, little details, and hopefully that would lead me to a bigger success.
Speaker 7: What are some of those little things that you're working on focusing on right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, right now, just footwork technique and just really at placement. And it's those little things. I know it sounds simple, but those little things that can making you a very successful office alignment.
Speaker 7: I asked this of your fellow rookie, Xavier Hutchinson, your rookie also, But clearly you know this is not just some normal rivalry with the Titans and Texans. Correct.
Speaker 8: I don't know too much about it, but I definitely know this is like a big rivalry game for sure.
Speaker 7: Last thing, what are you asking for for Christmas? From Santa?
Speaker 8: What I'm asking I don't really got nothing, to be honest with you, I'm not a big I don't really like attention, So like I'm not a big GIF guy. But if I had to ask for something, probably just just some work on my truck.
Speaker 7: For real, work on your truck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and work on my truck. Man, can't go wrong with that.
Speaker 7: There you go, all right, Well, Juice Scruggs, appreciate the time. Best of luck on Sunday, so I appreciate you.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 1: Of course, the man's got a truck. He's living in Houston. Now he's gotta have a truck. Man players coming to the Texans here in Houston, they're like, I gotta get a truck. Ben DeAndre Hopkins had one. You know. JJ Watt immediately got one. But it fit for JJ. But I don't quite see hopping a truck, but he loved it. So we'll see hop on Sunday right there at Nissan Stadium wearing oh boy, the Oilers jersey number ten. Listen, those things are sweet. Just be honest, those things are sweet, and just hate seeing them on those guys on Sunday. Speaking of sweet, sweet, Stevanie Gonzales is gonna join us next. She's a newcomer to the Slant. She sits down with Walter Peyton Man of the Year candidate the Texans Representative long snapper longest tenured Texan, John Weeks. That's next right here in Texans All Access. What is up, everybody? Welcome back to a Wednesday edition of Texans All Access in Hunday Texans Radio Studio. I'm John Harris, football Analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans and it's time for the Slant. Now. If you know the history of the slant, you know this was the deep Slant for a long time. Dpcity or our good friend, did such a great job sitting down with the players, getting to know them a little bit, get to know them further. And she was such a great listener when she would do interviews with players and there would be some things that would come out of her just listening to the guys. Well, we've had a number of people do the slant last few weeks. Brandon Scott did it for a few weeks. Kennedy Smith was last week. Well, this week we go to Stephanie Gonzalez. She sat down with Walter Payton Man of the Year candidate Texas Representative John Weeks, one of the best dudes in the building. Stephanie could not have had a better person to sit down and chat with check that conversation out right here.
Speaker 10: Hey, everyone, welcome to the Slant. I'm Stephanie Gonzalez and our next guest needs no introduction, but I'm still going to do it anyway. Texans long snapper John Weeks Welcome.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you very much for having me. I'm excited.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much. And I know you've been so busy. It's been crazy last few months for you. But first of all, how are you great?
Speaker 7: Great?
Speaker 11: We just got off the practice field. We had a great, great practice, you know, getting ready for a really good team.
Speaker 6: Coming up this weekend.
Speaker 10: And we have to mention this little thing right here. Oh, Walter Peating Man of the Year nominee. That's amazing, that's huge. John. So I saw the video that the awesome media team put together for you. But what did you feel when you found out about this nomination?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 11: What a great question. I I was taken away. You know, it is something that I don't really have words as you can tell, you know, I don't really stutter too much over My words are fumble, but it just it meant the world to me for the organization to nominate me. First of all, incredibly grateful, especially because I know the men that we have in that locker room and how giving all those men are in the community. So to be nominated for that award was absolutely amazing.
Speaker 10: Anytime for me, when I hear your name, John Weeks, I think football and community because you're always out there, You're always doing something. And with my years working in sports, you know, like ten plus years, I've learned that as an athlete you can make such a difference off the field, making people smile, making a difference. It's like its own superpower and you're using it for good. So what is it that keeps you doing stuff in the community.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, something I've brought up many times since I've been you know, since I was nominated, people have asked me, and something my parents and my grandparents always told me was that if you're in a position to give back into better someone's life, it's your job to do it. And that's something that the organization has done an amazing job allowing me to do. They've been great. Anytime I've asked them or had an idea of something I wanted to do to try to help, They've been fully supportive. They've been one hundred percent Hi me trying to get get involved, and you know, it's it's those little things that make uh, you know, you can go out there and make a make a kid's day, right, just something so simple, just by spending time with them and and just talking to them and.
Speaker 6: And that stuff so important.
Speaker 11: And it's stuff that I value and stuff that the guys in this team value.
Speaker 6: And I'm proud to be a part of it.
Speaker 10: And we were just talking before we started recording about JJ Watson. Oh yeah, upcoming event at Consolation Field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 10: I'm guessing you will be part of that.
Speaker 6: I'm hoping to be a part of it.
Speaker 11: Yes, But yeah, JJ is having his charity softball event. I believe tickets just went on sale the other day, so you should go get those because it's going to be a fantastic time as always.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and you and I met years ago at a charity event. I mean we didn't really talk, but I became friends with your WiFi Amanda shout out yes. And it's so cool because I I see her posts, right, I see you as the dad, the husband, you know, sprinkled with a little football. So I'm excited to get to know you more and talk about football. And life and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So let's go back in time a little.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 1: So let's talk.
Speaker 10: About you know when little John, no boy, not the Rapper, but you What was it like, you know, kind of getting introduced to football. How did that happen? How did you fall in love with the game?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, so I was a military brat growing up. My dad was in the Air Force. We moved around a bunch, and I was a very active kid.
Speaker 6: My parents kind of.
Speaker 11: Realized that they needed to get me out and they needed to kind of get me under control because I was one of those little kids that just ran around like a crazy person. So they put me in every sport they could possibly put me in. So I think that's kind of how I got so involved with sports and then just kind of fell in love with it, fell in love with every sport I played. Yeah, I mean, it just it was it was fun. I think I started playing football, was introduced to football and a funny play.
Speaker 6: We were in stationed in Turkey.
Speaker 11: Oh, and my dad was my football coach, my flag football coach. That was probably the first time I think I ever played.
Speaker 10: Oh that's awesome. And then you ended up playing at Baylor.
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 10: Yeah, did you ever imagine that you would be playing in the NFL let alone for as long as you have been?
Speaker 11: You know, It's one of those things when you look back, it's always a dream, right. But when I picked up the skill of long snapping, I picked it up because a coach of mine told me he could give me a skill that would get me to college. And I knew I wanted to go play college football. I knew I wanted to do everything I could to help my parents try to earn a scholarship, and he told me he could give me a skill to do that.
Speaker 6: So that's how I actually picked up long snapping.
Speaker 11: And then once I got to Baylor and I was playing in the Big twelve and we were playing really good Oklahoma teams and Texas teams and at the time Kansas was good and I was going through that process, I kind of started to think maybe I had a shot because I knew I was playing against guys that were going to be playing on Sunday and I was holding my own So that was kind of when it started to creep in. I mean, I'm completely blessed to be where I'm at today. With the journey that I've been on with it and incredibly grateful.
Speaker 6: But yeah, that's kind of how that that all happen.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 10: And it wasn't an easy journey getting here. You've been through so many changes, right since twenty ten, there's been a long which is what has it been about this season that's made it so special.
Speaker 11: It's just, you know, sometimes there's just a feeling, right, I guess that's the best way to put it. And you know, with with the beginning of the season, starting off with the hiring of you know, coach, getting Dimico back in the building, and then what Demiko and the entire front of the front office and Nick and all those guys were able to do bringing in the talent they did through the draft, and then just getting all those guys in here and.
Speaker 6: The immediate.
Speaker 11: Process of like kind of coming together as a team started to happen. And I think that was kind of that, Okay, this could be something special as long as we put our head down and we keep working for it. And I think that's what we do. We got a great group of guys in there that just kind of put their head down and work as hard as they possibly can and understand, you know what's in front of us, and don't take anything for granted and work their tails off.
Speaker 10: What is your secret? We all want to know to just being here for this long, but it's the training, Like, like, what do you do?
Speaker 6: I don't know if there is a secret, you know.
Speaker 11: One thing one of my vets always told me was that once you get comfortable in this league, you're done. And I don't think I've ever been comfortable, you know. Unfortunately my journey started a little bit later and I was out of football for two years, so I do know what life without football was like and where I did find something I was passionate about and was able to to get back into football. So so things kind of worked out for me. I don't really want to feel that anytime soon. I love being around the guys, I love being in Houston, Texan. I love playing football, and I'm going to continue to keep doing it as long as I can.
Speaker 10: And I was talking to Mark Andrew Mayer earlier and he described you as the glue who's kept the team together so many changes. So what do you think it is that keeps you just being that team player that you know keeps the team together.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you. I mean, I think Mark's been a little too nice to be honest with you.
Speaker 11: I think, you know, when it comes to where I am now, I want to be as consistent as possible. I think as long as I can stay consistent and I can be there for these young guys and explain to them and try to help them and guide them through the ups and downs of a tough NFL season, that's that's what I'm lucky enough to be able to do. That's kind of my job right now, and I'm just trying to do that to the best of my ability.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and what is your goal? This will for the remaining of the season.
Speaker 11: Oh man, The goal for the remainder of season is probably make it through practice tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: Again, I try not to look too far ahead.
Speaker 11: I try to be in the moment as much as possible, because, you know, being in the moment is where you need to be at in this business because you just never know, right anything can happen. So just try to be in the moment as much as possible. You know, we understand the task that we have in front of us. We have a really good team that we're preparing for right now. You know, none of us are not aware of what we could do if if we put our heads down and really work towards it.
Speaker 6: And I think that's what we're doing.
Speaker 11: And again that's why this group is special, because this group understands that and they're willing to put the work in.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and what about a goal off the field, like something that you would like to call goal.
Speaker 6: Off the field?
Speaker 11: You know, I have been lucky enough, and I've talked about this with my wife. I've been lucky enough to be in this business for a while now, and I have got to accomplish a lot of things in my time here with the Texans. The only two things that have escaped me in my career so far are an AC championship game in the super Bowl. And the ultimate goal is to bring a Super Bowl to Houston, and I want to be a part of that.
Speaker 6: So that's the ultimate goal.
Speaker 11: But right now, the goal is to make sure that I prepared properly for tomorrow's practice and get ready to roll for a good team.
Speaker 10: Also, we touched a little bit on this earlier about just community and whatnot. So do you have any events or anything coming up that you would like to mention I have.
Speaker 11: A couple of things in the works, a couple of things again that the Texans are being amazing with and helping me with. Nothing that's completely iron down yet I am excited. I will be joining Kirsten and her Kirsten's Crew tomorrow for her shopping spree, so I'm going to go attend that. You know, her foundation and her group do a fantastic job with taking kids Christmas shopping, so I'll be happy to be a part of that and be there for that. But you know it, when when an opportunity arises, I try to be there for it. And our team does a great job of presaying those opportunities for us. And if I can be there, I'll be there.
Speaker 10: And what is the best advice that you've received?
Speaker 6: The best advice I've received as a.
Speaker 7: Player as go with as a player.
Speaker 11: The best advice I ever received I probably got when I was struggling to get back in, and.
Speaker 6: That was just never let someone else's perception of you be your reality. And it was at a.
Speaker 11: Time where there were some rules that were kind of keeping me from getting in because a couple teams said I was a little too small so I just kind of had to keep that in my mind that you know, yes, there are going to be teams that think that, but I just need one team to give me a shot and the rest will take care of itself.
Speaker 6: And thankfully it was Houston.
Speaker 10: And you're awesome both on and off the field, and truly I applaud you for everything that you're doing around the and for the team. And I'm telling you when you're When I say you're a fan favorite, you absolutely are. And we'll make sure to vote. Pple can vote by going on x which was Twitter and also going to NFL dot com slash Man of the Year.
Speaker 6: Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man go vote for WEEKSI if anybody deserves it, that man deserves it. He's been here since twenty ten, thirteen. I think it's a fourteenth season. I'm doing the math correct. Fourteenth season. Week sees the absolute best. He's the best. So glad he was able to step into studio with Stephanie Gonzalez and knock the interview out and give us the opportunity to hear it right here on Texans All Access now coming up. I said this earlier today at practice. It was probably one of the most well attended practices in season that I've seen in a while. And I would tell you more cameras at practice to see if or if if not a particular player was there at practice. CJ Stroud I mentioned earlier. CJ notin at practice today, still in the concussion protocol, will probably be in concussion protocol. I think it's up in the air as it pertains to Sunday's game against the Titans. We all know it's an important one. But there's a reason that football has eleven guys on the field and you know, forty eight on a game day roster. If CJ's unable to go, then Davis Mills in case Keenum are gonna have to carry that mantle for who's gonna play quarterback? But no CJ Stry to practice. He was not alone in not participating in practice. The part of me that thinks, oh my god, did they have anybody able to practice today? Because you know, Wednesday is a rest day for a number of the veterans. Let's check that out next to injury report what it all means next right here on Texans All Access. All Right, welcome back to Wednesday edition that Texans All Access I'm your host, John Harris, Football and a sideline reporter. Before we get into that injury report, let's hear from Xavier Hutchins Sin who caught up with Drew Doriday in the locker room.
Speaker 7: All right, wide receiver Xavier Hutchinson another test coming up this week? What do you know about this Titans secondary is Tecans defense as a whole?
Speaker 12: They kind of scheme from the Patriots a little bit obviously. You know, they run, you know, certain things that you know for their personnel that they have, but you know, it's a very good it's very good back end. You know, they have a really good offense, defensive line, got really good linebackers, their corners and safeties. You know, they fly around, they play hard. You can definitely tell on take that. You know, they give their everything, and you know that's understandable. You know, they're head coach Mike Brabel. You know that's how he is. So you know, we expect it to be a gritty game. We expect them to play hard and fast, and you know, we just have to match that energy.
Speaker 7: And I'm guessing you guys are expecting to bounce back after what went down in New York, right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, for sure, for sure that wasn't us. Everybody you know accepted that that that wasn't us. Can't keep putting that up there. You know, this lay in the season with you know where we're trying to head to. So you know, we just have to put back our head down, get back in our books. You know, really just come out this Sunday a lot better than we did last Sunday.
Speaker 7: Season high three targets for you last Sunday. You think you're growing. How are you growing as a receiver in this offense?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm definitely growing.
Speaker 9: Really.
Speaker 12: You know, my first you know, real game with real action, had a lot of ups and downs in that game, obviously going against a great secondary with what you know the Jets had, but really just you know, learning again where I can make an impact in the game. It's definitely different from college. You know, you have to find your knicks and next. Everybody's good in this league, so you know, you have to find the little things that you can win at. I mean, you also have to find the little things in which you can excel that can help you with everything. So, you know, really just learning that and taking everything with the positives, putting everything in perspective, trying to just keep going forward, don't want to take any steps back, So you.
Speaker 7: Bring up learning the little things, I mean, and doing well at some of those things. Saw that on special teams. We've seen it on the end of rounds as well. I'm guessing kind of like the previous questions happening, they're catching the ball.
Speaker 12: Right, Yeah, yeah, no it for sure? Is it for sure? Is got to catch it more confidently. Of course, I had a few body catches out there. I mean a part of it was, you know, the conditions, of course, but also you know, just be more confident out there. And I think you know that happened over the course of the game. I got more confident really, you know, believe that, you know, in myself and my abilities to go out there and make plays. Really, just trying to add on top of that again this week.
Speaker 7: Last thing. I know you're a rookie, but you kind of have at least a little understanding of this rivalry and this sort of history of these two teams, don't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely do.
Speaker 12: Of course, you know, in any teams in your division, it's going to be a rivalry game, and I know this one is a little bit more. It would be very nice to come out with the win this week, just for everybody, for us, I mean for you know, the fans of course as well. You know, I'm really looking forward to it. Let the best man.
Speaker 7: Win, I guess always get to talk with the exabers. Thanks so much, thank you, appreciate you man.
Speaker 1: Now, Xavier Hutchinson does not show up on the injury report, thankfully, because he's probably about the only one. Now. I thought that the Texans injury report would look really bleak, especially in comparison to the Tessee Titans, but that's not the case. These are actually really tough on both sides. Start with your Texans peas today, boy, Will Anderson, Junior ankle, Blake Cashman hamstring, Nico Collins, Calf, George f Hip, c J. Stroud. As we mentioned, concussion, Tabio Thomas hamstring, Laramie Tunsel, Knie ohoh boy. That's not a good list. A lot of heavy hitters there. Hopefully we'll be able to see some of those guys getting back now. Limited participants Noah Brown, maliek Collins, Shack Mason, Henry Totoa and Robert Woods was a not injury related rest day, full participation. How about this. Kyemie Fairbairn is back. That's great, And Dalton Schultz was a full participant in practice today. Now on the Titan side, well boy, the Titans conducted to walk through on Wednesday, December thirteenth. Injury report is only an estimation of a player's participation if there was a full practice, So I would imagine some of these guys will be able to get back. But there's some pretty heavy hitters here as well. Denico Autrey outstanding underrated defensive lineman knee issue, did not participate. Aaron Brewers starting center, deal with the next. Jack Gibbons said, linebacker has played very very well. He with a back issue. Kyle Phillips thought receiver hamstring. Kevin Raider tight end was ill. Terry Tart was a personal day. Jeffrey Simmons is the big one now. The thought is that he's going to be out for well, it was two to three weeks. Two weeks ago, so it sounds as if he'd missed this one, but you never know. He did. DMP and Josh Wiley the tight end DNP, both with knee issues. Limited participants. Daniel Brunskill guard hop got a rest day, Will Levis dealing with an ankle issue, Sean Murphy bunting with a knee, and came on Wallace with a quad. So again that was the Titans side of things as they conducted a walk through on Wednesday, having played the game Monday night in Miami, so coming back from that with a twenty eight twenty seven win. But these injury reports are robust, a lot of heavy hit on both sides, Will Anderson Junior, obviously, CJ Stroud, and Nico Collins, Larie Tunzel. Now Larmie is taking Wednesdays off, I should say taken Wednesdays off. He has gotten Wednesday's rest day to get ready for the rest of the week. You could argue that Blake Cashman has been the best defender for the Texans this year. He's dealing with a hamstring and I think it's reported by Aaron Wilson that it's probably a game or two for cash probably a game or two for tav and that's not great news. So we'll learn a little bit more about CJ through rest of the week and obviously Will Blake and Nico as well, so we'll keep it on on that. But good news Doult Schultz and Kymie Fairbairn both back full participants in today's practice. Okay, we get back. We're gonna go. Men behind the mics, Mark Vandermir, you know, and you know, well, Mike Keith. You may not know, but the voice shoot here and going Wait a second, that sounds familiar. Yes, he's the Titans play by play man. That's next on Texans All Access. We want our down. One hour left to go. Right here on a Wednesday edition of Texans All Access from Monday Texans Radio Studio. I'm your host, John Harry, football analyst, sideline report for your Houston Texans, and it's time to go to our men behind the mics, the two men that will call the game on Sunday in Nashville. You know, on the Texans side, it's my pal, Mark Vandermir. On the Tennessee side, you've probably heard this name before and heard this voice. It will sound familiar. It's Mike Keith. Now. Mark gave me a little preview of this before, you know, sometime today, and I thought it was pretty interesting. They they have a conversation about the Oilers jerseys and kind of the whole deal that went with it. And all that kind of stuff and give you some background on it, so people in Houston are a little bit more informed, if you will. I know, there's a lot of intense emotions as it pertains to the jerseys, the fact that the Titans will be wearing them. I asked Drew In in the lab. But you'll hear a little bit later to Houstonians doing in the lab. How are we gonna feel when we see the word oilers in the end zone and we see those jerseys. I mean, we grew up that was our team. I mean I still have Oilers hats in gear, so that's gonna be kind of weird. But Mike Keith gets into that with Mark Vandermire right here on men behind the mics, let's go, Mike.
Speaker 3: Great to have you on.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on the win, mind and I football knocking off the Dolphins, and I know it's a short week, but it's got to be a week filled with energy for the Titans as they get ready for this home game.
Speaker 9: First of all, Mark, good to be joining you in the Happy holidays to you and yours. It is good. It is good. We've had certainly a tough run on the road for over a year, and so to go to Miami and to surprise a lot of people and win in a very strange way was a lot of fun and it kind of built on some things this team's been working on for quite some time, and now they see if they can keep it up. The team did some good things in the Indianapolis geme lost that game in an unusual manner, and then they win this game in an unusual manner, and so now they're going to try to see if they can play a normal game.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's start with Will Levis as far as the Titans go. I know it's not all about him, but he is a focal point right now as you start the rookie quarterback, What are you seeing so far in the development? And everybody noticed that for a touchdown pass game to launch his career, and I know it's been a little bit of a rocky road since then, but what a great performance against the Dolphins.
Speaker 3: What do you see in Mike?
Speaker 9: He's growing up and I think this is probably a little sooner mark than they wanted to get him in there. But when he finally became the starter on October the twenty ninth, he had been with the organization for six months, and so he had been in that quarterback room. He had been around Ryan Tannehill. They had been able to take their time with him. He had a quad injury at the end of training camp, which sort of slowed his progress, but he had been working very regularly. They had an idea of what they had in him. They had gotten to know him. They'd certainly worked on some things with him about understanding that in the pro game, hey, you're gonna make mistakes, You've got to get over it. You've got to be even tempered. And that was something at Kentucky. He would get down on himself. You know, he would make a mistake and then he would take it very hard, which you like in a way because you know he's a guy who cares deeply. But at the same time, you have to be able to let it go. And I think Monday Night was a great example of Betty to a bad interception in the first quarter, he made a bad pitch in the fourth quarter, and yet he just kept playing. And his physical talent is undeniable. Now teams have tape on him and so they're able to make adjustments to him. He's having to adjust back, but Mark, I would say, so far, so good. I don't think anybody's you know, proclaiming anything or saying it's all fixed or it's all great, or you know, whatever the case may be. In a world where we like to, you know, sort of make snap proclamations about anything, you know, hot takes whatever. I think the Titans are quietly, very pleased with where he is and understand there's more work to be done. And I think Will Levis is the same way, Mark, And that's the best part of this story so far.
Speaker 2: Mike Keith, voice of the Titans, joining us Derrick Henry. What are we getting out of Derrick Henry? Now he looks pretty much the same to me. Maybe you're not getting as many long runs whatever. He's just so keyed on, Mike, Yet he still manages to gain a ton of yards, averaging four point one eight seventy five on the year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's doing fine. And you're right, they're keying on him and this offensive line has issues. But here he was the other night, and that the Titans are in a situation where he rushes seventeen times for thirty four yards. But you know what he did. He scored two touch He scored the game winning touchdown, and he was as happy after that game as any of his one hundred and fifty two hundred yard games because he knew he contributed in the way he could help. If he's lost anything, it's not much. He can still really play and he's in a bit of a different role. He understands that with Taja Spears, because Taja is the best partner he's ever had since he became the lead back. He gets it. I think he understands where he is. But guess what, He's going to finish the year with twelve thirteen hundred yards. And I think most teams would be happy to have a twelve or thirteen hundred yard back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: And when you drafted Spears in Nashville, we were all bummed out because we all really liked Taja Spears. And I was also bummed out when DeAndre Hopkins signed with the Tennessee Titans, because you know, we love hop here and to watch him as spry as he is right now, he looks about as good as he could possibly look at this age. And it must be a little freaky for you because he's had some big games against the Titans and now he's having some big games for you.
Speaker 9: It's funny. I mean, it is a it's a funny world that we live in because he absolutely tortured us for years. I mean, he didn't just play good against us, he tortured us. And then he went to Arizona and his first game with the Cardinals, he tortured us. So I finally got a chance to sit down with him not long ago. We were talking about he goes, yeah, he goes, it's kind of freaky, he said. It's a little different. But I think he's having a good time on this team. He likes Rabel and you know, they knew each other from their time together with the Texans, and so they have a good personal relationship. The Titans manage him very well, which is something that they do well with veterans. They do it with Henry, they do it with Hopkins, They've done it with Jeffrey Simmons, on and on and on. You just see that. And so, yeah, he's playing well. He had a good game the other night, seven catches for one hundred and twenty four yards and a what a breath of fresh air for a guy like Will Levis to have a receiver that's going to the Hall of Fame that you can count on in this way, and I think to me, that's the part that DeAndre Hopkins is enjoying the most. Is much like his time with Deshaun Watson where he sort of broke him into the league in that way being his guy. He's doing the same thing for Will Levis, which is really cool to see it. It's interesting to watch a professional in this way do it the way he does it every single day and you understand why he is the special player that he is. You know, from Afar being tortured by him, we knew he was good, but to watch him work every day in practice, it's really fascinating and gives a lot of insight into why he's the career he's head.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, always a quarterback's best friend, Mike. What about that defense because we see some of the names we know, oh so well. You see Harold Landry, Jeffrey Simmons. I know we missed the last game, Daniko Autry. There are some new guys as well.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: What are you getting out of that Titan D They've had a pretty good year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the statistics will tell you it's not been bad and if you saw them on Monday night with how they contained Miami, that's pretty much the story of their season. They've rushed the passer pretty well, They've kept teams out of the end zone pretty well. The disappointment in this defense is we thought they had a chance at the beginning of the year to be dominant, and they have not been. They have not had the number of takeaways that we had hoped. They've just not had the big plays that we had hoped. But they've been very solid, and had the Titans offense been better, I think that might have given the defense a chance to be better because I think some teams offensively have been able to keep things more basic due to the fact that the Titans have had problems until the last two weeks scoring And you know this mark You've been around the league for a long long time. When an offense and opposing offense doesn't have to take a lot of chances to win the game, they're not going to. So the end result is the opposing defense has less chances to make things happen, and I think that's been part of the issue for the Titans this year. But you know, the defense did a great job the other night, they essentially did not give up a touchdown an offensive touchdown to the Dolphins, one was on an interception return, and the two late ones came when the Dolphins only had to drive nineteen yards for the fourteen points. So pretty good job by them overall.
Speaker 2: Mike, let's look at the division here for a moment, then we'll get back to this game. What are your thoughts on what you're seeing from the Colts now, because to me, it's pretty disturbing that they're still very much in this thing and they've suffered through everything they've suffered through with Jonathan Taylor, losing Anthony richardson, all of that, yet here they are still very much in the mix heading into the final four games.
Speaker 9: They're good on defense. You know, they've had good people and they've kind of continued to put that together in particular with their rotation in the front four on defense. And then Zire Franklin is having a monster year at linebacker. I mean he's taken over for Darius Leonard and he's now that guy for them, which is why they could let Darius Leonard go offensively. I think at this moment they're probably better off with Garner Minshew Now we'll see what happens next year, because Anthony Richardson will almost have to start all over again. I think they wanted him to battle through that rookie year and learn and grow and all those sorts of things. And then he gets hurt and ironically in the game against US, and they'll go back to him next year, but he'll still have a ton that he will have to learn, having just basically played a month, and Minchew manages them better now. I think does a good job with with all of that. He he gets who he is and he understands who he has to be in that offense, and you know, he's got a guy that can that he can lean on in Michael Pittman, and the rookie Downs is a really good player. He was a guy that you know, I was sitting there thinking, oh, man, if the Titans could get him, that would be a really good player. Josh Downs is really nice and gives them a kind of a different element. And I think Steiken gets where they are too. Mark I'm pretty impressed with the way he has coached that team. You know, that's one of the things you see in the league. It's easy to be a good coach, But you've got to coach the team you have well, and he has coached the team he has very well, which I think, unfortunately for both of us, that doesn't bode well for what he's going to do with them moving forward as they get better.
Speaker 2: Mike Keith's voice of the Titans with US Jaguars have lost back to back. Texans had a field goal attempt bounce off the crossbar that would have tied the game at the end of regulation with a chance to maybe win an overtime. Who knows you're going to host them to end the regular season here. How much trouble are they in, Mike, and how good can they be?
Speaker 9: I think to worry for them right now more than anything else is they're having some injury issues that they haven't had the last two years. And last year they were so healthy. They were amazingly healthy. They did not lose a starter until Week eighteen when they played the Titans on Saturday night to get into the playoffs, and Robinson got hurt and couldn't play in the playoffs. You know, you have some of this that you see as we go through November and get into December, the injuries chip away the guys who've been having to play are not quite as good, and they're a little banged up having to play more snaps. And I think that's kind of where Jacksonville is right now. I think they're trying to fight through this tough period. The question with Lawrence too and the ankle, and he's had the knee all year, and you know, where is he at this point? He played very well against US, really really played well against US last month. But we'll see, you know, down the stretch, we'll see exactly what they look like and are they able to maintain the pace with where they are health wise? They they're probably the most talented team in the division, but you know, as we know, that doesn't always win it.
Speaker 3: Who's the best team in the AFC? Not record wise, but who would be your pick? If it's not the Titans, Mike, you know, I think.
Speaker 9: It's probably going to end up being Baltimore. The team that I think is really interesting is Cleveland though you know, if they and I don't know if Flack Oak can hold up or you know, who's going to play quarterback for them, But their defense is so good, Mark, I mean, they are so good. You know, they're one of those teams in that one off situation in the playoffs, you do not want to play. Ironically, they're almost like the Ravens were back, you know, fifteen twenty years ago. You just you just don't want to play them because, I mean, you could get a day where they can hold you to one hundred yards. They're that good. So I don't know. I mean, I think it's more wide open than it has been. I think on the other side, San Francisco's the best team. I think that's going to become clear. Dallas may be taking a step. But in our conference, I think it's more wide open. If you ask me today to give you an answer, my best answer is Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've got one more for you. Here.
Speaker 2: As the Texans and Titans meet on Sunday, I was thinking about all the moments in this rivalry. I was thinking of the eight game here mostly Texans wins, Mike, because it's my perspective, thirteen twelve victory against the thirteen and three Titans team team that would go thirteen to three, That oh nine game Week two that was wild with the bench brawl and everything like that. I think of all it at Cortland Finnegan, and then I zoom it into today because Dimiko Ryan's played in this rivalry and now it really feels like it's on again and the Oilers uniforms will be worn on Sunday. What about that vibe? Because you've been through it once already this year. Do the Nashville fans embrace that. It's kind of a weird dynamic to me, the way the whole thing is, but it is what it is, and we're going to enjoy it and see how it plays out.
Speaker 9: They just more than anything else, they love the look, you know, because everybody loves retro in everything now. And when they came out and they had a chance to see them, people just went wild over the look. Ironically, in the two years that we played in Tennessee as the Oilers, we never wore the blue jerseys at home. We only wore them. This is very strange. We wore them in a game Miami in September when they wore their whites, and then we wore them on Thanksgiving ninety seven at Dallas because Dallas wears white at home, and they chose the organization chose to wear the white jerseys in ninety seven and ninety eight, because from a mental standpoint, they wanted the team to always think, hey, we're the road team. You know, we're at We're not in our home. We're having to play away. We're going to be strong, and we're not going to make any excuses whatever. So when people walked into Nissan Stadium on October twenty ninth and saw the jerseys, they went crazy and they really do look fantastic, and so the kids are buying them like crazy. I mean, the team store can't keep them all of that, and I think that's been more of the overall vibe than anything else. You know, it's not about I mean to our ownership group and to the people who I was an oiler, so I know, and it means something to me. But from the fan perspective, it's just, man, this is cool that we're getting to live in the retro, and the retro is so cool. So we'll see, you know, it's been It was fun that day and we'll see exactly how the stadium looks come Sunday. Will they do the oil Derek in the middle of the field like they did for the earlier game and things like that. I don't know, you know, I don't know was that was homecoming weekend, and so with all the Oilers back in town, they decked out Nissan Stadium in o Whilers.
Speaker 2: Mike Finally, former Oiler and Tennessee Titan, Frank Wichek, passed away last weekend.
Speaker 3: I know you worked with him in the booth, you knew him well.
Speaker 2: My condolences to you, and I know that he had a great career on and off the field for the organization.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks for saying that, Marks, It's been a rough week. Frank is probably the most popular player in this part of our history because when the team moved to Tennessee, he was the guy who got out in the community the most early on, and he was doing all of those community events at a time that he was one of the best tight ends in the NFL, and so he combined that sort of big personality with a guy who was catching sixty passes for six hundred yards and go into Pro Bowls. And then after his playing career ended, he immediately went into the talk show business and he was very good at that. His talk show was hilarious and was the topic of everybody every day. And then you know, he was on Titan's radio for twelve years as well as our as our analysts, and so Titans fans had him for twenty seasons as a player and as a broadcaster, and that bond with him is such that we've we've never had, even with Steve McNair and Eddie George and some of our other grades, there was nobody as close to the heart of the of the player or of the fan base as Frank Whycheck. And I don't know if this is an app comparison, but it feels like how the Texans fans feel about JJ Watt. And that's that closeness, that love, you know, just more than anything else, not only loving the player, but loving the person and loving the personality. And you will still see eighty nine jerseys at games, You'll still see him everywhere you go because he meant so much to people. So for the Titans family to lose him, it, I mean, it is just crushing. And this week has been in many ways just awful. I mean, you hear the great stories about him and there it's fun, but just the shock that he's not with us anymore. I really don't know how to describe it other than there's a hole in our hearts.
Speaker 2: Very well, said Mike, and once again our sympathies and condolences, and we'll see what happens Sunday. I'm sure they're going to honor Frank and we look forward to that and seeing you in the booth on Sunday, my friend, as the Texans and Titans get together. Thanks so much for the time, Mike, appreciate the visit.
Speaker 9: My pleasure, Mark, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Frank Whitcheck alrip, what a great dude. And obviously when it comes to football, in football memories, everybody remembers the Music City miracle, which Mike called in his famous call that there are no flags on the field and Tennessee was gonna win that game. Frank Whitcheck makes that lateral pass across to Kevin Dyson, and I mean, I can still see it in my memories. Frank fifty two years old, and that obviously hits close to home because I am one year I'm actually a few months away from being fifty two. So thoughts and prayers to the White Czech family and just a sad situation. And they'll honor him on Sunday with us in the building. That's that's my guess. I imagine they would. He was just a beloved figure there in Nashville. Frank Whitecheck passing at the age of fifty two. All right, we get back. We're gonna go in the Lab right here with Drew Doherty and myself on Texans All Access day right where you are, Yes, sir, It's on Texans All Access from Moday, Texans Radio Studio. I'm your host, John Harris, Football on the Sideline Reporter and one half of the In the Lab podcast crew. The other half of that, the better half is Drew Doherty, Texas TV host all around great dude. And we started in the Lab a long time ago, and our mission on in the Lab, and why it's called in the Lab is that we get a little wacky. We'd like to throw some combinations together, you know, like you would in a science lab. You know, Hey, let's throw this together, let's put this with this, Let's see what happens. What if we just got really nerdy and geeky like you do in the lab. And trust me, I'm an engineering major. I've seen geeks. I am one. I know it. I'm fine with it. I'm okay with it. So this one kind of went in that direction. We kind of threw some stuff on the wall, and then all of a sudden, this thing took a left turn and then it circled back, and then you turned and we got it all in. This is it great? In the lab? It starts with Drew asking this.
Speaker 7: To talk you and me, John Harris, and normally the table of contents goes like this. We do a what if I told you?
Speaker 1: What I told you?
Speaker 7: We do a cream of the Crop award winner the crop, and then we get going, I'm not doing it what if I told you because I don't want to remember what just happened Sunday. I was there, I saw it. I don't need to see it again. I don't you're talking about again. That was ugly. You g l y and got no alibi whatever you want to say. That's stunk, and you lose some players that game. So John Harris, we're going to do a vintage in the Lab right now, and I'm hitting you with this. There is no what if I told you this week. Instead, we will do a cream of the Crop award winner for next week's game. But we're going to start out with this. Texans have some injuries that they're gonna have to deal with maybe a lot, maybe not, but probably a fair amount. To be conservative, you can take two players from their prime any position in NFL history. They can both be on defense, they can both be on offense. You can do one defense, one offense. So whatever you want. You can add any two players in their prime to this team this week.
Speaker 1: Who you're adding, John, I am going to add one player that actually played for the Tennessee Titans, okay. I'm going to add another player that actually played with this particular player okay. And I'm going to add two players that became famous and successful when a particular person in the building was working for a particular organization. So I, not knowing CJ's hrout status, not knowing Nico Collins status, am going to add Tom Brady, and I'm going to add in his prime Randy Moss. So give me two thousand and seven Tom Brady and Randy Moss for this weekend against the I've almost said Tennessee Oilers hate me for that. No, Tennessee Titans. I'll never hear me say Tennessee Oilers. They can man.
Speaker 7: That's who they are this weekend, John, You're playing the Tennessee Oilers.
Speaker 1: I thought about let me hold on. I gotta ask you this. I gotta ask you this, because this is gonna happen when you and I to Houstonians walk in that stadium and you look at the field and there's an oil Derek painted at midfield and there's oilers in the end zone. Have you thought about what you're going to feel when you see that.
Speaker 7: I've built up enough of a tallous that it just doesn't affect me anymore. I love the oilers. No woman will ever break my heart like the Oilers broke my heart in the early nineties. I was born during Lovely Blue. I don't remember it. I don't remember I don't you know that was all going on while I was a little kid and a baby. My first memories of the Oilers were not good ones, because they were really bad in between Love You Blue and the Run and Shoot Days, so bad that you know you sign Warren Moon. All those first round picks kind of come to fruition and develop around him. During some awful seasons, games blacked out locally on a pretty routine basis, and so I got into the Oilers when they were really good eighty seven through ninety three, but then in ninety four they showed and that organization showed they were not serious about winning. You know, they got rid of Warren Moon. You're not serious about winning if you go from Moon to God bless him. I love Cody Carlson, but he's not a Hall of Fame quarterback. And everything fell apart, and I think I kind of checked out on him after they left. Let Warren Moon go. I don't remember. I think so they were two and fourteen and I think they went eight and eight the rest rest of the time there here. But I was checked out, and I think a lot of other people were too.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 7: There's this revisionist history, like people didn't wear jerseys and as much oilers gear around town in at least in the eighties and the nineties, that was not a big thing like you see now with no matter where you live, NFLT that that was not a huge deal.
Speaker 1: That was not also a Houston thing, you know, that was that was pretty much generational. We were starting to see the explosion of you know, T shirts, gear things of that. Jerseys You didn't wear jerseys, you you couldn't get you couldn't get a jersey to wear. Now you see jerseys at games. I'd like to know the numbers of people that would end up wearing the jerseys at a particular game. So if we have seventy one thousand in the building for a game, how many of them are wearing.
Speaker 7: A jersey of a particular player, Say what, thirty thousand?
Speaker 1: Probably, I would probably say it's a decent number. It's a it's a really decent number. Now there are some people that wear like the other day we were we were going into the stadium and as I was walking into the stadium, I saw a guy in a Josh Dobbs number fifteen minutes at a Viking's jury. So we started this with Chris Jones, our former engineer on the radio broadcast. And Jones was great and we had to leave game. He still is. It's fantastic. Jones's doing great. And Jones and I would try and pick out It was a kind of challenge between us to pick out the most obscure and stupid jersey at a particular game, whether it was for that particular team or most of the time it was for a team that wasn't there. Like you'd see there was one time there was a guy in a Roberto clemeny Jersey, and as much as I love Roberto Clemene, like you had a football game and you were Roberto Clemene twenty one Jersey, Like, what are you doing? So we always used to do that.
Speaker 7: So it was tough for Sunday that a lot of people were in raincoats and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was hard to tell. It was definitely hard to sell because everybody was covered up by the by the rain.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a bit much. It was a bit much of rain that I didn't enjoy and nobody did. And maybe that was a part of it. Drew on Sunday said, we wouldn't talk about it, don't really want to talk talk about it. But yeah, give me, going back to the question, give me Tom Brady and Randy Moss. I wouldn't mind Randy Moss with our receiver group. Yeah, throw him in that mix. Man, You've got the mix of Nico Collins and Tank Dell all on one individual.
Speaker 7: You can never go wrong putting Randy Moss in any wide receiver group, no matter how depleted or full strength it is. I mean, it's gonna be fine. I actually had Randy Moss as one of my choices. Yep, and I went with the challenge of just rolling with either Mills or Keenum as quarterback. And we don't know, we haven't. Everybody's asking about when Stroud coming back, and I doubt he comes back Sunday. I would not expect to see him Sunday. And then the next question was one's Nico Collins coming back? And that's a legitimate question. Nothing has been said really in a major manner about Will Anderson. How healthy is he? Is he coming back, whether he comes back or not, Let's give some more fangs to the pass rush. How about Reggie White? Did I interested you Reggie White?
Speaker 1: You could interested me in a Reggie White?
Speaker 7: The guy you can't go wrong ever putting him in any defensive front seven.
Speaker 1: JJ Watt has said on record, and in fact, I'm glad you said that because there's a thirty for thirty called the Minister of Defense. Yeah, we were discussing that on Wednesday night. That's gonna be awesome and JJ, I think JJ does an interview for that for that. Uh here hero, Yeah, I mean he grew up in Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin at the time, where Reggie was. I mean, this is blasphemous, and I know Reggie would get mad at me.
Speaker 10: He was.
Speaker 1: He was a use of football god to those people. You know, he came to Green Bay at a time, you know, free agency had just kicked off, really and so who's who's choosing to go to Green Bay? Well Reggie White did. And because Reggie White did, all of a sudden, that team started turning the corner, and then more players wanted to go play in Green Bay. And it's and I'll be honest, it's not always easy for Packers to be in Green Bay. It's it's the smallest city, it's not the most diverse area of the country, and so that always plays a role. But Reggie White chose to go there. He chose to go play for Mike Holmgren and alongside Brett Farvan. I've been a lot to Packers fans. And on top of it, he was just you know, a smile, brighten up the room. And JJ is on record he said he's the greatest defensive player there's ever been, bar none. And for JJ to say that, a player that people in Houston think is the greatest defensive player of all time, for him to say that, Okay, I'll roll with that because Reggie was nasty. Reggie was absolutely nasty. He had he had one of the greatest pass rush moves of all time. He had what was called a hump move, and so what he he was really the only guy that could do it because he was fast enough to beat you on the high side. If he's rushing defensive end, he was fast enough to beat you on the high side. So he would get he would beat a guy with some speed, then the guy would anticipate that, and at the last minute he would take his inside arm and literally club a guy out of the way, lost out of the way. So this two minute vignette that JJ is talking to during the interview, they're showing b roll of Reggie White using the hump move. On three hundred and fifteen plus. I mean, hun big was Larry Allen. Larry Allen was like.
Speaker 7: Three forty benched like EUNDs, and he did that.
Speaker 1: To Larry Allen, who many think is the greatest guard. I think he's the greatest guard's ever played. I mean, he was incredible, and he did that to Larry Allen and you're just watching them. Oh, okay, maybe JJ's right. So yeah, Randy Moss and Reggie White for for damn sure, I think we're we're definitely sure on Randy Moss. Yeah, without a dime, we could have. You know, look, there's a there's a there's a ton we could have gone with at that point.
Speaker 7: Matthews would be a nice one, just as a screw you to Tennessee. Oh good, Yeah, Laro Campbell, it's ad one I just popped into my head. Earl Campbe would have been a good one.
Speaker 1: I think Bruce would have made some sense, you know, rolling with Devin and Damien, but having Bruce Matthews. Here's your question, where would you play Bruce Matthews? You wouldn't play my left tackle, I.
Speaker 7: Don't think no.
Speaker 1: But where would you play him?
Speaker 7: Any place? Any of the other four?
Speaker 1: You could be up for a I think I would take the experience at center.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was good there.
Speaker 1: I think center would have been a great, great spot. I think he was great there as his career. It's just interesting how go He just kept moving inside tackle to guard to center, and he ended up I think he was all proed up three different positions, wasn't he any He got a.
Speaker 7: Pro bowler at all five? Yeah, all pro Yeah, like you said, that's amazing. Indulge me just a little bit more about Reggie White. Okay, So, final college season nineteen eighty three at Tennessee. Yep, he doesn't show up what he didn't play in nineteen eighty four. His first stats in the NFL nineteen eighty five, comes into the league, only starts twelve games in nineteen eighty five, gets thirteen sacks, has one hundred combined tackles. John but eighty four, I guess just he wasn't any good. He was out on the street. No, he was playing in the us USFL USFL. So imagine if he just show boats he was good enough to have better than a sack per game as in his rookies true rookie season in eighty five and eighty four. Let's just conservatively say he's not gonna do that, but he's still gonna be pretty good. Let's say he still gets another twelve thirteen sacks that year. So from eighty five his first season, he has thirteen sacks, Next year eighteen sacks, next year twenty one, Next year eighteen eleven, fourteen, fifteen, fourteen, thirteen. You gotta go to nineteen ninety four, his second year in Green Bay. Find the first season of his career that he doesn't have double digit sacks. Nine straight seasons to start his career with ten sacks or more on two thirty four, five, six, seven, How many after that straight? Then he had a twelve sax season in ninety five on eleven sacks season. In ninety seven and ninety eight he hit sixteen sacks. And then he retires in ninety nine, comes back, plays two thousand with the Panthers, gets five and a half there, finishes with one hundred ninety eight sacks John, and one more thing, one more thing. Nineteen eighty seven, Regi only played twelve games.
Speaker 1: What's the deal?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: Exactly in the strike season, he only plays twelve games. He's still he still has twenty one sacks. John. The best best JJ Watt ever did when he was a freaking comet. JJ Watt in twelve and in fourteen he had twenty point five sacks. Of those seasons each each year.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty seven, the strike year he had, he had twelve games.
Speaker 7: Twelve games, twenty one sack sacks. Had a fumble recovery.
Speaker 1: For sanity, that's absolutely insanity.
Speaker 7: Four fumbles.
Speaker 1: Well, he stole one from Doug Williams. I remember that. I mean he literally stole the ball. And I can't remember if that was eighty seven or eighty eight, but he literally stole the ball from him. He went to sack him, and all of a sudden, big dudes running the other way, and it was Kelly Green jerseys, which they should have those full time. Yes, those are those are fantastic jerseys. But Reggie was and the fact that he could win as a three hundred pound four to three defensive end and then jump inside like like JJ would like JJ, JJ would do that. Now JJ did a little bit more of his with his quickness and his agility. As you always called him a jungle cat. Reggie had that power because that helped move. I mean he had some speed, don't get me wrong, but his was power and strength and leverage. He was so damn powerful. And it's just, you know, it's interesting, like thinking about players like that Reggie White as I'm growing up and you're watching him and you're like that dude's like he's crazy good. And then you're like, well, I ever, you don't think this at the time. I guess you're like I guess everybody just is like Reggie White, right, You're no, no, not everybody is like Reggie White. In fact, nobody is like Reggie White. And I think that's because you feel like, you know, I don't know. Maybe if I'm I'm a young adult, I mean college and I'm watching him do things, maybe I cherish it a little bit more like no, no, no, This dude's a freakazoid. He's doing things that nobody should be doing, and yet he's still doing them.
Speaker 7: Reggie White, Rest in peace, Gone too soon the age of forty three. Man, he died back in two thousand and four. Crazy stuff. But that's who we would add if we could, in our prime or in their prime, put somebody out there, two players or the Texans this Sunday. Okay, let's talk in the real world. Back to reality on Monday. After the Texans beat the Tennessee Oilers. Who are you going to say is you're a Cream of the Crop award winner for Houston, John.
Speaker 1: Melik Collins. I like that, Malik Collins. It's a tough, tough task against Derrick Henry and rushing Will Levis, and that puts a real tough onus. I think on the inside guys, and on Monday night, I felt like the Titans controlled Christian Wilkins and Siler. But I feel like Maleak is more explosive than Siler for sure, and I think that he's on par with Wilkins. But they've got to create pressure up in will Levis's face. Lewis did a really nice job of delivering the ball at the very last minute half second. It was crazy, like, man, he wow, he got rid of that ball. How did he do that? He had probably four or five big throws where it looked like a dolphin was about to sack him and or get a hit on him. And right as they're hitting him, the ball's getting out. Malik's got to get there a half step faster and make sure that he's getting the sacks on will Lewson. Here's the other thing. Levis is a big dude. He's a strong guy, so you got to bring him to the ground. But the flip side is you also have to get off blocks and help on Derrick Henry. It's going to be one thing for the defensive lineman. It's one thing for the defensive lineman to occupy blocks, but against Henry, you've got to help on tackles because it's that much more difficult to tackle.
Speaker 7: Good choice. We were just talking about guys with lots of sacks. Reggie White was one of them. JJ Watt, we brought him up. JJ had double digit sacks for the Texans five different times. Mario Williams did it twice two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight. He also had Connor Barwin hit like eleven and a half and twenty eleven, and then Whitney twenty sixteen, Whitney merciless, he had double digit sacks. So it's the only four until Jonathan Garnard Sunday got too. So my guy for this Sunday, I want Grenard because we don't know, like we said, we don't know if will Anderson's gonna suit up if he is certainly not at full strength, and nobody's at full strength ever, I know that, but he's diminished a little bit. So John, let's get after like you're saying you need him leak up the middle for the dual action of getting after the quarterback but really also stuffing up Derrick Henry not getting a full out of steam. Let's see you, Jonathan Garnard, keep doing what you're doing. Get two sacks.
Speaker 1: Facing a rookie, facing a rookie Jalen Duncan from Maryland facing a rookie. So uh JG. You're right, he's got to have a big one for sure. Good ones.
Speaker 7: Been fun to see him, you know, succeed the way he has because he had the eight sex season a couple of years ago, only played in a dozen games. And yep, he's been healthy. He's been flourishing this year. I always love doing this with you.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 7: Don't want to talk about the Jets anymore. Let's get a win in Tennessee. I didn't ask you, you know, how are you are you gonna feel about seeing.
Speaker 3: The I don't know.
Speaker 7: I always, like I said, I'm callous to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I think I'm kind of the same.
Speaker 7: I think it'll probably they're doing this just a jab at us.
Speaker 1: I know, And that's that's probably the biggest reason why probably riles me up a little bit. But because Tennessee fans don't care exactly, I really would like to. I would like to just stuff a win down their throats. That would that would be kind of nice, That would be kind of nice. But I just want to see us go play well and play much better. For here's what I here, there's what I'd like, Drew. I don't want to see perfect, but I want to see sixty minut it's of consistent solid football from this team on both sides at the ball. Yeah, and we've not gotten that. We've gotten a good half here, We've gotten a good game from one side of the ball. The last time we really saw all phases come together was against the Steelers, and we what four It came together on both sides for sixty minutes. It needs to come together, all of it for sixty minutes. I'm not saying you gotta go down to score touchdowns every drive, but you know, put points up on the board as many drives as possible. Don't turn the ball over and then play your ass off on defense. But do it for sixty minutes. Yeah, sixty flip in minutes. No breakdowns, no going on on your own doing things. Just play solid, smart football for sixty minutes and see where you are.
Speaker 7: I like that.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: One more thing, this offense. I think we can agree for a variety of reasons for at a variety of different levels. It's better than last year. Superior to the offense we've seen the last couple of years. But really I think the last decade this is a better offense. I also think natural progres ession wise, Davis Mills is probably a better quarterback than what we saw last year in his rookie season. I think being in this scheme, being around these guys, case Keenum, this coaching staff, I think Davis Mills has also had a gig of improvement there as well. I think you're going to see better Davis Mills when he goes out there. I don't know what that means. I don't know how how much better that that makes the team perform, But I do think you're going to see a better Davis Mills in this offense than what you're accustomed to seeing over the last few years. And don't don't forget Davis Mills had a pretty good game last time he suited up and played in a real game that week, a team victory at Indianapolis last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And he beat Tennessee on Christmas Eve Day as well. So it's it's a better defense I think for Tennessee since. But if there's no Jeffrey Simmons, you know who's to say, who's to say? So, you know, hopefully he will remain out of this one. That'll be a big side relief. And then you know, we'll wait for Wednesday and see what the injury report brings and what's gonna happen with the squad.
Speaker 7: Amen, John always enjoyed talking with you.
Speaker 1: Well, I thank you, Drew. I enjoyed talking with you as well. Yeah, there's some good stuff in there, but we we went all around it. And yet tonight I can't wait the Minister Defense thirty for thirty on ESPN about Reggie White and apparently it dives into more of Reggie, you know, behind the scenes, off the field, our religion really impacted Reggie. Really sounds like a really good thirty for thirty. Can't wait Head thirty for thirty Saturday night after the Heisman the Great Heisman Race of nineteen ninety seven, which was kind of interesting how they did that one. I'm curious to see how they do this one. I'm sure you will see our favorite textan or a lot of your favorite text and JJ watt on there. He was born in Wisconsin, lived in Wisconsin while Reggie was wrecking shop, and was very easy to look up to Big number ninety two. And the one clip I saw on social media today or yesterday, I can remember which one it was, but it showed JJ talking and then the b roll was Reggie White using his hunt move, which is absolutely awesome. Quinn Williams through that hump move on a Texans offensive lignment on Sunday and it was gross, like like gross. It was so powerful and so cool, and I've seen very few people that can do that. John Allen does that. Jonathan Allen with the Commanders does that. Hardly anybody else does it. Reggie White started at thirty years ago, so I can't wait to see that. All Right, we're gonna go around the NFL some of the stories that are hitting in the league, including AFC, NFC offensive players the week. Texans somehow well found themselves in the midst of at least one of them. We'll touch on those next right here on Texans All Access. All right, let's go round the NFL. Right here on a Wednesday edition of Texans All Access. I am John Harris, shows appreciate you being here with me. A couple of non week game game week items. The NFL is gonna play a game in South Powell, Brazil. How about that twenty twenty four. Now, apparently the Dolphins are like areas of the world are tied into certain teams, like we are connected to Mexico City. The Dolphins are connected to Spain and Brazil. Now they're the only team connected to Spain. Now to Brazil. Sorry, they've got another team that's connected to Spain. But in twenty twenty fourth they're playing that game there. It's more likely an NFC team. My guess is they'll want the Cowboys. Now there's a chance that Texans could play the Cowboys next year. I know you're like, wait a second, every four years, No, it's remember the seventeenth game is you play the team that finishes in the same spot as you in the standings from two years prior or the year before, the year before. We play the NFC East. So if the Cowboys win a division, we win a division, will play. If the Cowboys finished second, we finished second, will play. I don't know, maybe that game will be in South Powlo, Brazil, but we'll see. My guess is it's an MC team, but the Dolphins are the one that's tied there, so I don't know. We'll see what happens. But there will be a game in South Palo Brazil. There will also be a game in Los Angeles, California, in twenty twenty seven. It's called the Super Bowl. Yes, LA gets it, five years after having their last Super Bowl at SOFI Stadium over there in Inglewood. So the super Bowl going back to LA twenty twenty seven, that'll be Super Bowl sixty one. Good god, super Bowl sixty one. The first one I remember is Super Bowl eleven. Good man, Holy smokes. There are teams that can clinch playoff berths this week. The Ravens, the Cowboys, the Lions, and the Eagles can all clinch a playoff berth this weekend. For the Ravens, they are all kinds of there's like not scenario night scenarios that have got to happen, or nine things that could happen they clinch a playoff birth. For example, Baltimore wins, Denver loses or ties, Buffalo loses or ties, that gets him in. We're actually mentioning here too, the third scenario. Baltimore wins, Denver loses their ties, Pitts, I'm sorry, Denver loser ties, Houston loses their ties. That gets them a playoff berth, so I don't know. Clinching playoff berths in week fifteen would be kind of cool. That will not happen for your Houston Texans, even if they're able to win in Tennessee, which hopefully they do big Thanks a lot of people on today's show. We gotta thank Mark Vanderberg, I think Nick Cassario, gotta thank Stephanie Gonzalez and John Weeks, Walter Peyton, Man of the Year candidate Texans Representative Drew Doherty of course, and Titan's voice Mike Keith. We'll see tomorrow everybody, and as always, go Texans.