Speaker 1: Hey everyone, It's Friday, August ninth and closing ceremonies just two days away. And CUSA now six at one hundred three overall medals after an impressive day on the track.
Speaker 2: China has a solid hole on the number two spot has seventy three total medals. France, Great Britain and Australia round out the top five.
Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to another t from Perry edition of Amy and TJ. The biggest headline probably is that the fastest man in the world was the third fastest man in his race Thursday. Did COVID play a role in Noah Lyles missing that double gold glory?
Speaker 2: The most entertaining battle we have watched, perhaps, and the entire Olympics came yesterday and courtesy of the tallest and funnest women in Paris. And were you worried? We weren't worried now for a second, not even when the USA men's basketball team was down by seventeen to Serbia yesterday. Plus an American sets a world record in his event but ends up with a bronze medal.
Speaker 1: Win set a world record repeat. US printer Sidney McLoughlin. Lavroni stays on brand and stays on top of the podium. She highlighted a huge day for USA Track and Field. There are eight diving events in the Olympics. China so far has won gold in six of them, with two to go, and unbelievable and unprecedented sweep is very much possible. The US has selected its flag bearers for closing ceremony and finally, I.
Speaker 2: Know you are, but what am I? That's China's response to the US as the two countries go back and forth over doping allegations. Eliminate from the Olympics on Sunday, arrested trying to buy cocaine On Tuesday, one olympian apologizes as he's evicted from Olympic village and another Olympic marriage proposal to tell you about. Our runner finishes the race, then goes over and gets down on her knee and proposes to her boyfriend. It's a lot to get to in this one. I can't wait to get at it with you about the proposal yesterday. But that was so much going on. We're starting this morning another early morning for us that's been full of diving. Is a big deal. So I watched the platform diving this morning well, they stop doing the handstands. It's just stop. It's too stressful.
Speaker 1: It's already scary enough to imagine diving with the skills they dive with from the height that they're diving from, but then to start in a handstand and it's sometimes it's gone really well and sometimes it's gone the other way.
Speaker 2: We haven't seen them fall, but they've come down, and you get a two point deduction for it. Platform diving is just you know, if you're out today, how about everybody, if you're out today, no matter where you are, just find a three story building. As you're walking around that three story building, Now imagine standing on top of it, then jumping off that three story building and landing exactly how you want to on the ground after doing flips and twists. That's what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Didn't haven't We heard the commentators say that these divers when they hit the pool are going thirty miles per hour, thirty.
Speaker 2: To thirty five and while Lyles runs at about twenty six twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, that's a really good I just got chills when you said that, because that is what these divers are doing. And yes, if you hit the water, you know in the way you don't want to. It's not just you know, zero in your score. It's actually injury. I mean that is a serious and dangerous thing to do. So yes, to start from a handstand. I can't hold a handstand in the form they're holding it on the ground, let alone on the edge of a platform. It's fair three stories up.
Speaker 2: It's scary, it's dangerous, but it's thrilling to watch them do their thing. A lot of track and feel. Yesterday you said a big, big day we're going to get into about the US. On the track, we saw some some spears being chucked yesterday.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, you're talking about the javelin throw. We were watching. I was watching with my daughters. You were watching back at your and you sent me a text during the javelin throw and said, ask your daughters if they know what spearchuckers means.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yes, some people might hear this right now and might not think anything of it. But the commentator, sure enough. They showed a shot of all the javelin, the javelin thrower of what we're talking about, and he said, oh, we got the spear chuckers coming up next. I immediately picked up my phone and sent a message to you guys, So it's you and your daughter's over there. None of you all knew what it meant.
Speaker 1: I was trying to guess. I thought maybe it referred to indigenous people. It sounded like something you probably shouldn't say, so Annalise, my youngest, actually went straight to Urban Dictionary and said, oh, it's a racial slur. It refers to black people, and we I didn't know that, but it clearly is a slur.
Speaker 2: I don't know who this guy is, and we could look him up and don't want to put his name out there. And that's not the point. It's just one of these things where people don't sometimes realize the words they use, how they continue to get perpetuated. This is the largest sporting event in the world. We see it every four years, and a guy just casually lets out a slur like that. I immediately sat up and I recognized it. Clearly he didn't maybe the broadcast team doesn't didn't because the replay is still available and it's still in there that we watched this morning, it's still there.
Speaker 1: You just played it again. It sounded like he was Australian. It was hard to say, but British or Australian one of the two, or South African one of it was an accent that was not American. But he clearly said it and they did not take it out. So either no one caught it or no one cared, or I don't know, no no.
Speaker 2: Or no one knows. But it's just one of those weird things. After Gabby Thomas the other day that she was called articulate after she wins a gold medal and compare to Sherry Shakerri Richardson as Gabby's the one who has got the Harvard degree and she can be sold in boardrooms, there's just another like are you kidding?
Speaker 1: It's just important. I think it's important to point it out though, and I'm glad we're talking about it, just so people are aware. Words matter and that's all you can all you can do.
Speaker 2: And maybe he has no idea what he said, but that didn't take away from what was a wonderful, wonderful day at the track, however, I guess yeah, it was the highlight of the day of the most anticipated thing of the day was seeing the two hundred meter men's final, and we had a chance to see something we hadn't seen in a long time. So the fastest man in the world is in this race. We're talking about Noah Lyles, fastest man in the world. He already run the one hundred and won it. And then the fastest man in the world ended up in a wheelchair after his race yesterday. He was attempting Noah. This hadn't been done since Carl Lewis did it in nineteen eighty four. He won the one hundred and two hundred meter races. No American has done it since then. But Lyles and zut Robes with a bronze medal in this final.
Speaker 1: That's right, and this was his event. You know, not everyone expected him to win the one hundred meter, but everyone expected him, or at least most people expected him to win in the two hundred meter, but he ended up with the bronze and he collapsed onto the track as soon as that race was done. He was immediately surrounded by medical personnel. No one knew what was going on. They even brought out a wheelchair to take him off the track. And then it was a short time later he told reporters he had tested positive for COVID on Tuesday, so this was Thursday. He said he kept it to himself and decided to still race on Wednesday, which we saw in the two hundred meters semifinals, and he didn't win his heat then either. I think Kenny beat him, right.
Speaker 2: No, he lost to the guy who beat him again. Oh yeah, right there, so the guy's beat him twice. But his week you're talking about, Noah, what the one hundred final was on Sunday?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: He ran in the prelims on Monday for the two hundred, tested positive on Tuesday for COVID, ran again in the semis on Wednesday, and then ran again on Thursday. Now, if anybody and plenty of you have had COVID, I actually I guess I haven't, have never tested positive for COVID, but people, you know you don't feel your best oftentimes when you have COVID.
Speaker 1: The big for me, the biggest thing was my fatigue. So you can't I can't imagine competing at an Olympic level with COVID. And also he is asthma as well, so that has to be an even more concerning situation to have COVID, to be asthmatic, and then to try and win gold in the Olympics running. This can't be easy.
Speaker 2: Be clear where not and nobody else is trying to make excuses for him. Right he performed this week. I mean it's admirable he did it with COVID, but he was bested by the same guy, like you said, Rose, the same guy that beat him in the semis beat him in the final for goal that lets see Lee Tobago of Botswana and so Rose. That was to see the kid perform was very impressive. But to hear some of the details in the history he made, you have to be very excited for him.
Speaker 1: I mean he made history for an entire continent. So it was beautiful, you know, the first gold and the first time four African men made the two hundred meter final because Tobago was the first African to win in a world championship. But if you saw who was lined up there, it was impressive, Zimbabwe up there as well, and it was just it was so cool to see. And what you hate to have happened to him is that the Noah Lyles I have COVID story out shining his incredible accomplishment and the gold medal that he truly deserved and won. I mean he glided across the finish line up. He really looked like he was having the time of his life and he was ready for this, and he looked like a gold medal winner from start to finish.
Speaker 2: And this kid has not come out of nowhere. They've had our eyes on him for a long time. He set a record in the under twenty one hundred meter dash. This guy has been doing it for a long time and has been looked at as the next coming. Maybe this is a little early his arrival, but if you saw him in that race, you're like, Wow, this guy's gonna he's what twenty one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna be He's impressive. Yeah, Because I was sitting next to my twenty one year old daughter Apa and I was like, he's the same age as you, and she was like what I mean, just to see what he's accomplished at his young age. And I also don't want the spotlight away from Kenny Bednarik, who is affectionately known as Kung Fu Kenny because he wears that wrap around his head. But he looked incredible. I was so impressed with him watching him do his thing. And I watched him in the heat earlier too, and he just sailed across that finish line, and I love seeing the celebration with his family in the stands. Afterwards, I was really I was. I was proud to be an American seeing him. It just was really cool and he won silver and it was a beautiful thing to watch, Like brother, I really did. He has such great energy, so it was fun to see him when and yes, we feel for Noah, but just you hate to see what happened with him take away from the from the success of the other two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and but frankly you can't help, but it did a little bit. Yeah, you know what. Afterwards, most of the cameras were trained on no allile it's not the winter.
Speaker 1: And we were texting back and forth about that because yes, we get it, that's the big story. It was an unexpected loss. And then to hear that he had COVID kind of takes away from the victory of the other two. But we just you know, it was it was an awesome race to watch.
Speaker 2: And then afterwards, I guess insult the injury here, Noah Lyles actually got penalized or flag for improper conduct. Now, nothing necessarily is going to happen with the results of the race because of that. But I wasn't sure exactly what they were talking about. Improper conduct. He broke some rule. Now, if you saw him come out after they introduced him, Yeah, he's yelling and screaming and hopping up and down and running around in a little bit. It's it's his thing, it's his energy, and that's fine. I got no problem with it. But maybe they do. And apparently he hit some box or speaker that was on the track and knocked something over, and so maybe that was some of the improper conducts. But just seemed like, I said, insult the injury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also to point out because I think many people might not realize this, there are no COVID protocols at the Olympics this year. So obviously before and we're all used to if you if you get COVID, you have to isolate you. That's not there's nothing in place in the Olympics. They just say, Hey, it's like they're treating it like the cold. Like if you have a cold, if you had any other little, you know, minor upper respiratory illness, you wouldn't do anything differently. It's up to the individual athlete how they want to act didn't do it, so he didn't do anything wrong by continuing to compete. We should point that Out's.
Speaker 2: Say it's isn't that crazy our whole None of these athletes had to go through any COVID testing, no restrictions to come as the Olympics, and the last one we did, you couldn't do it. I mean co Co Golf didn't even get to go to yes because she tested Positi.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, it was Oh yeah, I was in Tokyo. I had to isolate. I had to quarantine for fourteen days in my hotel room before I could even go to any event or see anything at the Olympics. So we have come quite a long way in the last three years. So no Ahlliles competes with God doesn't have a mask on, no problem. But all track and field, by the way, from start to finished yesterday was on real. It was insane, I mean truly and thrilling to watch. I loved the men's one hundred ten meter hurdles. Americans Grand Holloway and Daniel Roberts came in first and second, and no American had won gold since twenty twelve. Holloway cruised his way across the finish line for gold, and then his longtime college rival Roberts He came in second for silver with what commentators called an exceptional lean. I didn't realize how big the lean was until I saw it was a photo finish. He got silver by just three one thousandths of a second. I mean, it took a while for them to decide who actually got silver. It was that close.
Speaker 2: You remember how it was the closest one hundred meter final in history. Yeah, we said it was five.
Speaker 1: Ye five one hundred Wait, five thousandths of a second. There you go, This was three thousandth of a second. I hate saying that word, so I'm glad I have to keep saying it. But this is cool because they were rivals all through college and they actually talked about bringing the US back in this particular event because they saw we hadn't done well for the last eight years. And yesterday they did it together number one, number two, and the images of the two celebrating were just epic. It was so sweet to say, oh my god, we talked about this and then we did it. How cool is that? And we should mention our friend Freddie Crittenden, who we noted got into the finals by not trying to win. He came in sixth, no.
Speaker 2: But he got to the finals. His strategy worked. Who knows that the injury had any impact, but the favorites ended up winning or Grant Holloway was the clear. This was his focus from the gun. After the second hurdle, you knew who was going to win this. And I love this brother. We talked about Noah Lyles and then his antics and he's arrogant and he's loud and brash and all this stuff. This walks with more arrogance than anybody. I just he don't have to say anything. He just walks and he talks, and just his look, he's just confident. He has a great smile. I love, love, love Grant Holloway. So the day on the trackage day for Americans was.
Speaker 1: Huge, and then the ladies of Team USA had us and tears that had me and tears at least, but tears of joy. Oh, I love. This was so much fun and I loved watching this with my girls. Tara Davis Woodhall she won her first gold and her first Olympic medal in the women's long jump, but for me, it was what she did afterwards when she realized that she had won. That brought me to tears. First she fell back in the sand and just took it in, and it was I just loved seeing her quietly celebrate the moment that she just nailed it.
Speaker 2: You know, she though got she got an encore. She very few athletes get this have. But she had one last jump, but she already knew she had the goal. Yeah, so she was the last jump. She just couldn't have fun just celebrating, own the crowd and all that. So that whole last jump, when she already had it in the bag, really built up the moment, right what you're getting.
Speaker 1: At Oh so yes, So she lays in the sand, she takes it in. Then she ran to the stands to find her husband, paralympian Hunter Woodhall, and I have chills. Look I have chills right now. See look, you got chills all the time, but just a little extra right now.
Speaker 2: Extra chills.
Speaker 1: The way that they hugged each other, I could cry right now. And you they actually had the volume up and you could hear Hunter, her husband saying with the biggest smile on his face, like holding her saying, Tara, you're an Olympic champion, and it was just so sweet to see his incredible support for her. And then I did a deep dive into their relationship because I wanted to know everything about them, and I encourage everyone else to. They met when they were seventeen at a meet when they were both in high school. They went on to different colleges. By the way, she went to the University of Georgia and he went to the University of Arkansas. That's kind of funny. Anyway, I didn't even realize that, but then I just thought that was cool, because you know, I went to the University of Georgia, you went to the University of Arkansas. But anyway, they stayed together and they got married in twenty twenty two, and it's just a sweet story and just I encourage everyone to look it up. And then we have to talk about the Queen Sidney McLaughlin Lavrony. Not only did she defend her Olympic gold in the four hundred meter hurdles, but she broke the world record for the sixth time, and she is the first woman to ever repeat gold in that event in the four hundred meter hurdles. And then we got to see her. I think we get to see her race one more time over the weekend and the women's for by four hundred relay. But she also had a sweet moment running back into the stands to see her family, look like a friend maybe a relative giving her a crown to wear, which I loved, and then all the picture of her with the crown, the flag and just taking it in.
Speaker 2: I don't know, okay, some moan biles Quang Hong Chong, the diver from China. I'm trying to think of the athletes in the Olympic Katie Ledecki in the fifteen hundred. There's some athletes that when they compete, you know they're going to win. You're never worried. They're only competing against themselves. She's one of them that. There was never a question. This was that if you see this, she looks like she's running against high school kids. It's remarkable what she's doing, and she keeps crushing these world records. She's only running against herself. She is phenomenal.
Speaker 1: She was so far ahead of everyone else. It was a comfortable race to watch. You just got to smile the entire time because you were almost like you were running with her because you just knew she was winning and it was just so fun. It was like it was a glory run for her, like she she had it in the bag. Nope, not the photo finish.
Speaker 2: Okay, we weren't worried about her. But I mean, were you worried yesterday? I was you were. I wasn't worried at all.
Speaker 1: You were a little bit.
Speaker 2: Tell me you did? You were like stayed on the score. But then I think you got on the phone and you asked me how they were gonna do it. They're gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: What you just said, They're gonna be okay?
Speaker 2: You did when they were still down by thirteen or something.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, And then I was like, okay, I gotta turn this on.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the men's basketball team USA men's basketball team full of All Stars, MVP, NBA champions, and future NBA Hall of Famers. These dudes were down by seventeen points yesterday. Not only that they were down by thirteen in the fourth quarter. That's nothing to to sneeze out there.
Speaker 1: That's nerve wracking.
Speaker 2: But for some people, as you watched the game and I wanted to start to finish, you could see that what they were doing and how they were getting it. That's why I wasn't necessarily worried. But we do now see why team USA and coach Kurr why they were so worried about Serbia. Serbia, of course has the two time now NBA MVP plays out for the Nuggets. Of course we're talking about Uh.
Speaker 1: I wanna call them no back Joe, but it's something really close to himikol Jokich, Maikolai Jokich, Yes, he is the one.
Speaker 2: I keep getting those guys mixed up, but he is Okay, He's a big deal. Now, this is a team the US has beaten twice in the past month. They had to play Serbia in an exhibition game and then they played him in the opening round of the Olympics. Both of those games US won by the same margin, twenty six points.
Speaker 1: And then yesterday, well they won by four. And that was, by the way, in a game where they trailed for thirty five of the forty minutes. That is crazy. Stephan Lebron saved the day, though not shocking. Steph scored thirty six points and Lebron had only the fourth triple double in the history of the Olympics.
Speaker 2: I think I do. I know I sent you that text saying Steph has fourteen of Team USA's first fifteen points. You did you if you've watched it, We've all watched him over the years. But when you see him get going, you're like, oh, okay, this is about to happen. You knew what was happening. He's on, this is about to be his day, and he was needed to kind of save the day. That all the guys who were in the game at the end were over thirty years old. I think that were NBA veterans. So they had to fight and scrap and claw, and you saw them their intensity and defense was the big deal. I know they're multimillionaires, they get pampered. I know they're not staying Olympic village. They're in a hotel room. We have all these songs. If you watch that game. These guys are competitors, they are fighters, they are fierce, and this team was fighting for their country in track and feeld and some things. There's some individual accolades, yes, your Team USA representative, but they this is a team event and to see them do what they did yesterday, I applaud them and I have a new respect for some of these guys that I have been watching my whole well, certainly their whole careers.
Speaker 1: Do you do you think there was ever a point in when coach Kerr was nervous or concerned.
Speaker 2: Before the game, during the game, but they said, I mean even the huddles, he was giving them confidence. We're gonna be okay. He could see it happening, He could see what was how the tide was turning. But Steph and Lebron they call him Lebron Captain America these days, but they made it happen. Kerr's quote afterwards, one of the greatest basketball games I've ever been a part of.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Now that's a big coming from him, because Steve Kerr is the guy who's won championships with the Jordans in the Bulls a lot, the guy who's won four championships with the Golden State Warriors. So to hear him say that it was that this was to see them gut it out like that. You gotta respect these guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they play France on Sunday. That'll be a huge game. They're playing the home country. What are you expecting?
Speaker 2: Home country obviously is gonna go crazy. It's going to be fun. But this is a rematch from Tokyo.
Speaker 1: Home court advantage though they got.
Speaker 2: The home court. But France folks don't make a mistake. They got Webin Yama, the number one overall draftick who plays with San Antonio. Now Rudy Gobert, who's won I don't even know how many defensive Player of the Year awards.
Speaker 1: So it's they got NBA talent all over their team.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's gonna be great. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: I know what we're doing Sunday, all right. And then you had said because I missed this one you and of course I missed what you are calling the most entertaining competition you have watched at these games.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be just into hyperbole and the moment, this was the most fun I have had watching anything it is.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy you did that without me. What I was doing something with my daughters, and so I had to that was I missed it. And now I'm go ahead, let me tell me what I missed.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry you're saying I shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Rubbing it in right, Oh, but I actually do you want to know what tell us what you saw.
Speaker 2: This was this went to five sets. But these are the two absolute powerhouses of women's team volleyball, Brazil and the US. This is a rematch. This is a gold medal match from Tokyo that the US won, is a rematch of the gold medal match in London that Brazil won. So they've been going at it and these are the best at this and this sport. The reason I love this the stadium they have they're playing in. It's like I think, maybe see's twelve thousand, but when you watch it, it feels like they're in a high school gym. Just everybody's constant yelling. And if you know volleyball, every time the ball is in play, what the other team is trying to do is punch you in the face with the ball. It's a violent sport in that way, every single time. So you see them back and they go so quickly and there's no break in the action. It was non stop. You cannot take a bathroom break watching volleyball, and certainly not that match yesterday. Wow, yes, all.
Speaker 1: Right, what happens?
Speaker 2: I'm into it?
Speaker 1: Oh, they play Italy.
Speaker 2: In the final on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Sunday's a big day, obviously.
Speaker 2: A huge day, but yeah, I encourage you, please please watch these women. And I say they're the obviously the tallest. You have to be tall to play the sport. But after every point they come together in the middle and do a little huddle that just last couple seconds, but they're always laughing or smiling or congratulate, huge smiles. Nobody has that much fun playing. They were just a blast to watch, and so I encourage you check them out on Sunday for the final.
Speaker 1: All right, well, this next sport. I watched it first Live with You, and then I rewatched it again with my daughters because they wanted to see it, and it was just as good the second time. And there's such a crazy story involved. I'm talking about speed climbing. I don't know if y'all have watched it, but you can go back and watch replays. It's worth it. They make it up to the top in less than five seconds, so it's really fun to watch these heats. But an American set a world record in speed climbing. He beat his own world record that he had set two days prior. But even though he had the quickest and best score, he only got bronze speed climber. Sam Watson finished third, and if you're wondering how it's possible, will kind of break it down for you. They go through semifinals and then the finals. Well, in the semifinals he was beaten by Wupang of China by just a fraction of a second. But then when he went for his bronze medal win, he set the world record at four point seventy four. That gave him the bronze, but the competitor he lost to of China, Woopang then win against Leonardo Vederick of Indonesia. Leonardo of Indonesia beats Peg with a four point seventy five, so that's how long it took him to get up to the So technically Sam had a faster time than the actual gold medalist, but just the way it worked out with the heats, he ended up with the bronze.
Speaker 2: It's elimination. You go one on one with somebody and if that person beats you, that's then you're out. So it doesn't matter who had the fastest time, but it sucks. It does feel like it sucks for him that you know, you actually performed better than anybody at the Olympics and you.
Speaker 1: Had a bron the fastest time in the world including the Olympics, and he got bronze. But here's the deal. Sam is eighteen years old, so he has a.
Speaker 2: Long, long, long, just two probably.
Speaker 1: I think he's got a couple more, and I was it's cute. He's he's not phased by the fact that he got a bronze. He's very excited that he is a medal and he's now saying that he wants to go to four point six like he's already setting his sights on beating his own record once again. But he is a phenom to watch and it's just so fun. It won't take any time. I encourage everybody to go back into speed climbing and watch it. It looks you can watch it the whole thing in like less than ten minutes. I mean, it's great, and we were cheering, and even though I already knew what was going to happen, it was just so fun to rewatch it with my girls. It's fun.
Speaker 2: It's it. I told you this several days ago. Sabine A had her in here and she put on she would not stop watching, you cannot stop. She what she called him the what's the thing from the Stranger Things? Said, they look like a like a demogorgan ruck going up the wall or the things from a Quiet Place. Yes, that's what they look like when they're flunt crawling up this wa wall.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable and you and I have to say you and Sabine got me into it because I you were like, you have to watch this and then you can't stop. And so when I told the girls they were the same, they're like, they were mad. We actually were watching it as we were waiting for the two hundred meter Noah Lyles, and I said, Annie, we have to switch because Noah is about to run, and she was mad. I was like, girl, this is on replay. I can pause it, go watch live what's happening in track and Field, and come back.
Speaker 2: And she mad.
Speaker 1: She was pouting because she wanted to see Sam. She didn't know what was going to happen, and she was so into it. But I made her wait, watch the two hundred meter and then go back to the speed climbing.
Speaker 2: And the folks, you have it. If you not haven't seen it what we're talking about here. They're just climbing a wall. That's about fifty feet tall, and it has these hand holes and footholes and you just got to get up there as fast as you can and hit this little square that stops the uh uh stops the clock. And that's it. And it literally the women do it in about six to seven seconds. The men can do it in four to five seconds.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. And I actually told you I want to go to a climbing gym. We have a couple here in the in the city. I'm just totally inspired. I want to I want to see, I want to try. I got into it.
Speaker 2: Climbing is my favorite sport or activity to do because it's the only thing that you do that you cannot have anything else on your mind. You have to constantly be focused on where you're hand. You can't be listening to music or thinking about a meeting you have or any other emotion. That's why I love climbing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that makes a lot of sense because you are in the moment to be the power of now get it. That makes total sense.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, I was excited about this today. We just watched it and folks, we're not gonna give away well, we're not gonna give away what happened here, But something unprecedented is really brewing at the Olympics right now, and we're gonna know pretty soon if China's gonna pull something off that has never ever, ever, ever been done before. We have eight diving events at the Olympics, Six of them have been completed so far, and a Chinese diver has one gold in each of the six. The remaining two events are the women's three meter springboard that finalist today and then the men's ten meter platform. The prelimbs we just watched this morning, and then they wrap tomorrow. So what we're talking about here is China has a chance, a real chance to sweep all eight medals in diving, and that has gold never be done all gold. Okay, that has never ever ever been done. They got closer to them in Tokyo. Did you go to any diving.
Speaker 1: When you were I did, I did, And yes, the Chinese dominates.
Speaker 2: When you were there. I'm sure you saw never get a gold medal because they won seven out of the eight in Tokyo. Now, if you go back to Beijing, which is two thousand and eight, they have won twenty seven of the thirty two possible gold medals in diving. Wow, and it looks like they're possibly going to win all eight in this Olympics. That's insane. That's a dynasty the likes of which I don't know if we're seeing anywhere else in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: We'll have to keep watching.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm watching.
Speaker 1: I know you are.
Speaker 3: You get up early to watch this for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, the Chinese divers putting on their show. The Chinese swimmers have also had their success, but that success has been muted by doping allegations that the US is now looking into. That certainly has been a big headline. So China's response to all of this, well, you want to come after our swimmers, We're going to come after your sprinters. China's anti doping group says it now wants greater testing and scrutiny of America's track and field athletes because while we're doing just so well.
Speaker 2: And they're pointing out or they're they're jumping on. One guy on the American team. His name is Arion Knighton. He's a sprinter, but he had a failed drug test earlier this year, god suspended, appealed, but then was allowed to come and run in the Olympics, China said, well will we'll Well, you are making you're hooting and hollering about our athletes who failed to test several years ago and then got cleared, and now you're mad about that. That is their argument, And they're sticking to this one guy right now and calling us hypocrites for allowing him to run. Now, Arian Knight and I don't think he meddled, that's not necessarily the point. But he too said he ate contaminated meat that ended up leading to the drug test failure. The Chinese swimmers same thing. They ate tainted meat somewhere where they need a microbiologist on their.
Speaker 1: Staff, they really do, because from what I've read, the problem with that defense is that it's not unprovable.
Speaker 2: So what do you do? So that's not the problem, that's the so the beauty of that excuse, right if you're the athlete, but it's the problem if you're in the anti doping age. You can't do anything about it. So we don't know what's going to happen. But nine is upset because the FBI has juristical jurisdiction to a degree. But there's a federal law that does allow the FBI to investigate these types of doping conspiracies, even if they're outside of our borders. So we got the Olympics in la in twenty twenty eight. Yep, we've got wain Is so like again twenty to thirty.
Speaker 1: Thirty four, thing like that.
Speaker 2: So are you all going to give our athletes hell coming to your country? So they're trying to make sure that the two sat we figure this out and don't do some kind of a tit for tat when it comes to athletes in the test.
Speaker 1: That's the dark side of the Olympics. Well, we have an Australian athlete apologizing for what he called a terrible mistake. I think that is one way to put it. It wasn't a mistake during competition, Nope, it was a mistake outside of Olympic village. He was trying to buy cocaine from a seventeen year old in the middle of the night in Paris and police caught him in the act. It's Australian field player. Ry Australian field hockey players name is Tom Craig. His team was eliminated in the quarterfinals, which was actually a big upset. They had done much better in previous Olympics and had higher hopes. But yeah, I went from defeat to uh, well much worse and arrest.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what you were going to I didn't know what word you were going to put there. I got nervous for a second, But you know, what do you do? You're if your Olympics is oh, you're still there trying to enjoy the experience. He went out for a night and obviously he's admitting this, so this is not us allegedly anything he's admitting. He apologized, He said he has embarrassed his country, embarrassed himself. You know, some folks on the team came to his defense, said, look, he's a good guy and he made a mistake. You're not trying to say it's okay what he did, But what do you do. He screwed up, screwed up bad. Makes his it's more so making his country look bad in this moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look he's going to face the consequences too.
Speaker 2: How do we get one of these per Olympics?
Speaker 1: Yes, there always there's always some arrest, some some situation. Yes, I can recall one almost in every Olympics I have covered. Yes, so this was uh the arrest of Paris. You know what, let's talk about something happy.
Speaker 2: M you say that. Now, I don't know where this one's going to go.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's well, we've seen a couple proposals, but there was one that happened that was extra sweet because there was a little twist to it. It was a little unexpected. This one was beautiful. It happened after the three thousand meters steeplechase. You know, we loved that race so much. French runner Alice Vanoute told herself, I love this that if she ran this race under nine minutes, knowing that nine is her lucky number. Apparently she's been with her boyfriend for nine years, so if she ran the race under nine minutes, then she decided before she started that she was going to propose to him. So she ran the steeplechase, this is my favorite in eight minutes fifty eight point six seven seconds. The universe spoke, so she got down on one knee she proposed to him. He's a Spanish triathlete, Bruno Martinez. And she didn't have a ring, but she had a pin, a love is in Paris pin and she got down on one knee in front of everyone, and she proposed. What he say?
Speaker 2: I guess he said yes, he said yes.
Speaker 1: She did confirm everyone that he said yes. She came in fourth.
Speaker 2: Is that we got a lot to unpack here came in fourth. Fourth. We were talking about the Batmanton right, the young lady that won gold, and he came in proposed, And I asked, well, if you didn't win gold, would he have still come and proposed to her? She got fourth, she didn't medal. You could almost argue that this was a disappointment to her or she or something.
Speaker 1: You well, she set a goal for herself under nine minutes, but not to get a medal, you know what. For her, it wasn't about the medal. No, okay, fine, it was about making her own personal best. She set a goal for herself and.
Speaker 2: She beat it.
Speaker 1: She made it, she did it, and that was her cue to propose.
Speaker 2: Let me ask this question. If she had gotten fourth and then he proposed to her, would that I still felt a celebratory?
Speaker 1: I think so, because it's I love you no matter what, and I'm proud of you, no matter what, and you did your best, and let's do this and let's live our lives together and you know, they had been together for nine years, and she was joking about it when she was talking to the press. She said, look, I kept waiting for him to do it, and he didn't do it, so I figured why not?
Speaker 2: And that's my next problem here. This dude just got called out in front of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard not to say, yes.
Speaker 2: You had to your your girlfriend just had to run three thousand meters and missed the podium by mere second. Water. She had to do that. She just went through all that, and the least you could do is not have her then proposed to you. I'm sure she had to go home that night and make him dinner, didn't you.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, dude, but as a man, how would you feel being proposed to? Like? I actually saw something online where someone went off on a rant saying women should not propose to men, and they listed all the reasons. Why where do you fall on that?
Speaker 2: I don't think women should propose them in Why I am unfortunately? Some would say, but it's it's I've been trained this way. I open doors, I pick up the check, I walk on this side of the street to where the traffic is. I it's just one of those things that are built in. Now, you could argue that that's built in. If you think that, then you also must think that women should be doing the laundry and doing that right if you go into some of those traditional roles. But this is one, I think it's okay to think that. Or for me personally, I would not want you robes to propose to me.
Speaker 1: Well, the good news is we're on the same page on that. I think to eat to their own I think that's beautiful if that's what works for you and women want to propose to man, I think that's fantastic. One of my favorite movies is Leapier, But I digress.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's am com you haven't seen it. But she sets out to propose to her longtime boyfriend who hasn't proposed to her, but turns out he wasn't the right guy, and she finds.
Speaker 2: Love somewhere else with someone else in Ireland.
Speaker 1: Is the uh not the guy she was going to propose to.
Speaker 2: Oh no, No, that's the twist, right.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a false ending and then it ends up all you know, full of love and happy endings with another guy. Uh no, yes, the other way around with the other guy. How could I guess it's a great movie. It's so cheesy, but I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: It's Amy Adams and it's it's a great movie. Yes, anyway, I I I don't think I would ever want to propose. Ever. I think I'm a traditionalist when it comes to that, for sure.
Speaker 2: Why do you think a man should be the one other than tradition? I mean, I'm trying to look for a better word than just tradition, but I mean, what else is there?
Speaker 1: There's something about it that feels I don't know if I can even articulate it. You know what I have in my head? What I read what this man put out there about why men should propose and women shouldn't. And his arguments were a couple of things. First of all, he said that men just tend to shy away from commitment like that aren't as big into marriage. Initially, that women or little girls at five years old dream of their wedding and dream of getting married, whereas that never crosses a little boy's mind. So you come at it from a different place. So for a man to decide he wants to marry you, it takes more, is what he was kind of implying like more of an emotional decision than a woman who might jump into it because she's just so excited about getting married. That was one of his big reasons. I you know, take that for what it is. And the other one he said was that men typically take on a bigger financial burden. Traditionally, it's not always the case, obviously, but they tend to be the breadwinner, so they're taking on a bigger financial responsibility. So it's a bigger decision financially for most men than women. So that was another consideration. And those are his two big ones.
Speaker 2: That's the guy saying now I'm ready, Yes, But my mom would always tell me this. You said you a guy was trying to wait until he gets everything perfectly in line and then he decides to get married. But a woman wants to struggle and go through you, through all those things with you and build it together.
Speaker 1: That is so true. Your mom is very correct, absolutely, And I guess I just I think, yeah, I think men tend to not be as quick to want to commit like that, and so I would want a man who really wanted to commit to me and really put in the effort to commit to me that would That's just kind of a way of showing that he wants to be with you no matter what, forever. So yeah, I would never want to interrupt that. I do think women come at it differently, approach it differently, and I'd rather have a man come to that decision versus me trying to get a man to come to that decision.
Speaker 2: Have you always been proposed to? Yes? Okay, Sometimes a decision is made like you, oh no, do go to a courthouse?
Speaker 1: And both of my in my marriage there was a formal proposal.
Speaker 2: Yes, what about your third one?
Speaker 1: Still waiting? And don't worry. Don't worry, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Getting going to this guy. I got seven more years.
Speaker 1: There's no rush, just fifty one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the flag bear. You know did you remember I forgot we have closing ceremonies?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, did you completely? You know what? It's funny of all the Olympics I've gone to, I've been to all of them since Beijing except for London, and I've never made it to a closing ceremony. I've been to plenty of opening ceremonies, but I've never been to a closing ceremony because I've always been on a plane back. I've been rushing back to see my girls, my family, so this will be cool because I've never seen one. But we had the big announcement of who the flag bearers will be. Of course, Lebron and Coco Goff got the honors being the flag bearers in the opening ceremony, but the honors I love who they chose for closing Katie Ladeci and Nick Mead.
Speaker 2: Katie Ladecci is guess kind of a no brainers were alloted to a large degree. She's just an all time athlete for the Americans. But then Nick Mead is one who maybe don't know the name, but he's a great, great personality, but he's a rower. He's the first rower to ever get a flag bearer role for the Americans at the Olympics. Is the first. But he's part of that four man rowing team that won gold that hasn't been done in ninete since nineteen sixty. So that's why he's getting the honor and it's a cool one. Not as many will attend, as many nations and athletes will be there obviously for the closing sera, but it's still a great honor for them.
Speaker 1: It was really cute. So he was about to sit down at a cafe to order breakfast with his teammates, and both of these athletes got the news from their teammates, which I thought was really cool. And he says he got chills immediately said he needed to get a haircut, and then he asked his teammates should we still order breakfast. I mean, he was so excited. It was really cute. And then Katie, by the way, you know, she is the most decorated US Women's Olympian of all time, so she's got She won four medals in Paris and brings her total to fourteen. She was actually watching what you got up early to watch the Open swimming marathon. She was there. She got a call from her teammate Bobby Fink to tell her that she yeah, that she got the honor of being one of the flag bearers, and so just cool stories all around and how they told them and what their reactions were. But they're both obviously clearly honored and we're excited to watch them.
Speaker 2: This is a big day. We need to get going. Actually, we got water polo men's water polo final coming. The US is in the Semis yep.
Speaker 1: And gus who we're playing Serbia Serbia. If it's anything like the basketball game, it'll be one to watch. Yeah. And then ten am. We have been talking about this. This is all Eastern time. By the way, breaking the new Olympic sport is starting today. The women's qualifying round is at ten am, but at two pm in the afternoon is the women's final. And that is going to be so cool because it's never been seen before in the Olympics. And then volleyball ten am. Men's are there, sorry, Team USA are competing for bronze. This is the men's volleyball USA versus Italy.
Speaker 2: Eleven thirty at USA women's basketball. Now, anytime they play it's important. We assume they're going to win. They're playing Australia, but they have a streak on the line, fifty eight to fifty nine game Olympic winning streak on the line, so it's always good to watch them. We got noon, this has to happen. Spain versus France noon Eastern time. This is the home team playing a soccer powerhouse. Bank just won the euro Yeah, guess okay, so this is a very is gonna be good. It's gonna be great. This is at noon today. Rhythmic gymnastics. We haven't seen a lot of this, but that's happening today. The all around finals at twelve fifty Eastern.
Speaker 1: Time, that's right. It also will be in primetime, so if you if you can't see it live, you can watch it in primetime. And then track and field, there's so much to watch. They've got the women's and men's four by one hundred relay finals. You've got the women's shot put final, the women's four hundred meter final, the men's triple jump final, the women's ten thousand meter final, the men's four hundred meter hurdles final. I mean really, it's just there're gonna be so many amazing medals to be won, and that's gonna be fun to watch. And then the synchronized swimming artistic swimming. The individual all around finals are at twelve fifty Eastern time, and at one thirty we're gonna see the duet technical portion of synchronized swimming, and we've got Team USA competing, so that'll be fun to watch. And table tennis, lots of table tennis today, men's team finals, China versus Sweden. You've been watching a lot of table tennis.
Speaker 2: It's incredible to watch and these are the best in the world doing it. And the team final is how they have to do it. You doing in team like two of his two on two and then it's several individual matches which makes up the team final. But it's NonStop action. Don't miss the Chinese. You know what, Sweden has been really good. Anyway, watch it is what I'm saying, and we haven't. I love this. We normally wouldn't be watching women's boxing, No, we would not. Story. It's a controversial story, but now it has our intrigue and our interest and it's a human story.
Speaker 1: Now that's right, four to fifty Eastern time. Just a little bit later, a mon Kahlif, the woman who has been in the center of that gender eligibility controversy. She was born a woman. She is a woman. Just important to note, despite what you may see or read online, she is fighting for the gold medal. She has made it all the way to the gold medal round despite everything she's been dealing with in fighting outside of the ring. So it's just a cool Story's going against China's Lu Yang. That's going to be something that we absolutely will tune into and the world will be watching in a way that they wouldn't have otherwise. If there's a silver lining to all of this mess is that perhaps at least more eyes are on this sport and on these women doing really incredible athletic just moves in the in the in the boxing ring. I haven't watched a lot of boxing. I know you have, but it's just been fun to watch her and you just you feel for her and all that she's been through, and I mean, I'm absolutely going to be rooting for her.
Speaker 2: All right, So, folks, we appreciate you as always making some time with us. We're watching some more sport climbing, not the speed climbing. It's a sport climbing. This is a different one. But folks, you all enjoy your Friday. We will talk to you again right here saying spot tomorrow for another edition of.
Speaker 1: You Don't even want to say It. The Tea from Perie More coming this weekend, The
Speaker 2: Pent Ucation, the Detent,