Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Caroline Hyde introducing you to the new Stockmovers podcast from Bloomberg. The show brings you short episodes five minutes or less, covering the stocks making gains and losses in today's trading. Subscribe to Stockmovers on Apple, Spotify, or anyway you get your podcasts now. Here's a sample of the latest episode from our team at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. The Stock Movers podcast your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Both a look at some of the stocks that are roving look under the hood right now. We're joined by Bailly Lipschultz, the equity reporter for Bloomberg News. At the intersection of China and Chips, we find well Texas Instruments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chips calculators. As Emily made the point, they do thing stock right now under the taker t x N worst forming the S and P five hundred. This comes and I'm going to use a surveillance word, a little bit of bifurcation of the semiconductor's index. We're seeing Broadcom trading higher as is ASML and Nvidia, but the reason that Texas Instrument, along with Intel are under so much pressure is because of the new Chinese tariffs targeting semiconductor imports. So Beijing raising tariffs in all US goods. US manufacturers Intel and Texas Instrument are down because of them.
Speaker 3: How much in terms of chips do we sell? Does the US sell to China? And why don't they just make their own?
Speaker 4: I mean you're asking, You're asking the real questions you should be asking. But I think that goes back to the whole argument about a lot of the trade war details of who imports what and who exports other things.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: I mean again, I just think of calculators.
Speaker 2: But I guess this is all based on the trade ward not about calculator demand.
Speaker 4: No, not about at least not today. But sentiment is definitely getting dang even though the S and P five hundred.
Speaker 3: You have a calculator, I have people to do for me.
Speaker 4: Well, I used to. I would always use a Texas instrument.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool, they.
Speaker 4: Didn't have those sat. What did you use?
Speaker 3: We heard capul we pulled a handle on it.
Speaker 4: What else are you watching? You stick on on the trade that maybe caters to an older generation. Gold ripping, So Newmont up right now up more than six and a half percent tick or any best performing the SNB five hundred. Opposite side of that, when people are getting anxious, they flocked to precious medals, they flocked to gold, they flocked to commodities, So Newmont rallying because of that. Also, the company did get an upgrade from ubs, hiking their price target to sixty bucks from fifty. The stock right now treading at fifty four forty, basically saying long run company has a way to go to reestablish their track record and credibility. But basically Gold COEs A are rallying and the backdrop for Macro is better for the company.
Speaker 3: Are you going to like get a pick and a shovel and go up to the Yukon? At some point debating it?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm from California, so maybe I should go back to the West coast.
Speaker 3: Treat it like Sutter's Mill anywhere near there.
Speaker 4: I don't even know where that is. You're using geography, man, you're exposing the sausade.
Speaker 3: Oh never mind, Emily, what's the next stock You're looking at.
Speaker 4: One of the underperformers in the banking space, Walls Fargo right now down four percent ticker WFC. Big earning season for banks, but obviously the big focus is on what the future holds for these companies. The one thing that did stand out though, for Wells Fargo, obviously a bit different of a business relative to JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley, they actually got digged by a number of analysts flagging lower net interest income and non interest income, so basically saying that those were the net interest income was lighter in they're no reserves built, according to HSBC analysts and others, basically saying that weaker revenues were hitting the company. But again, we are in such a macro market that these moves can verset pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: The Stockmovers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.