Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome into Brewer Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm your host Kurt Hogue. Corey Cannable is with me as well, and we have a special guest today. Corey, you are a seventeen NASH League All Star, as I often recognize you as the start of this we have another All Star, your former teammate Big Woo Woody Brandon Woodruff joining us live from beautiful Sunny.
Speaker 2: It's sunny.
Speaker 1: It's sunny down there.
Speaker 3: Not Sonny Son just went down.
Speaker 1: It looked nice today from beautiful Arizona. How are you doing. How's spring going?
Speaker 3: It's good, man, just another year. This is.
Speaker 4: Twelve year now. Gosh, that's going by fast. But just getting ready for a new season.
Speaker 3: Man, It's.
Speaker 4: It's a slow progression, but it's it's good. Just taking a day at a time and getting the end of spring training and then go right into the season.
Speaker 2: Yep, twelve year man, in ten years in the big leagues with the Brewers.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, this'll be my tenth season.
Speaker 2: Yeap in season with the Brewers. Two All Stars nineteen to twenty one. Man, It's it's been one heck of a ride, man.
Speaker 4: Dude, it's uh, and it's going by too fast. That's the problem.
Speaker 3: Uh. You know, when you're when you're having.
Speaker 4: Fun, those days fly by and uh, here we sit and this is my yeah, gosh, twelve years dude. It's I'm trying to get back to that level. Man, see if I can get back to that level, and kind of I don't. I don't want to say turn the clock back a little bit, because I don't. I don't feel I just turned thirty three, but I don't feel thirty three. Uh, So I'm trying to, I guess, in a sense, turn it back a little bit and see if I can, you know, do it for a full season. So I'm just, uh, that's that's my main goal this year. Just be on the field whatever capacity.
Speaker 2: Of course. Man, I mean you've look you throw hard through gas. You got a banger of a slider. I mean, obviously you know. The injuries, it's it's part of it. And I know it's just kind of sidelined you a couple of times, and especially now with your shoulder, but I understand you know everything is starting to come back and you're feeling great, still on still on point to be good for opening day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're we're trending that way.
Speaker 4: It's you know that the lapt strain at the end of last year just was kind of a byproduct of just a long year.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I'd gotten fatigued pretty much at the end, and yeah, just kind of lost mechanics and and that was kind of just a byproduct of just fatigue and had to let that that lat train get held up this this winter and before I could really you know, start giving some good intent and building up and you know, once that was kind of full go, then we set forth a good plan with the medical staff and and you know, Hooky and the pitching staff, and you know, it's it's a it's a good plan. So as of right now, we're just kind of on a slow, steady climb and progressing through. You know, I don't really know what is a normal spring training anymore, you know what I mean. So it's uh normal for me. So it's yeah, it's it's good. I feel good, and it's just uh checking those boxes every week and just getting built up. So I mean, you're sorry, Kurt, but you've been there.
Speaker 1: Do you do your thing? We were talking before that before the show started. I'm like dude, I what he probably wants, no questions for me.
Speaker 3: Oh you're good man.
Speaker 1: We walk we walk in, we walk in there after the game, and it's like not the.
Speaker 3: Do think.
Speaker 2: So yeah? No, I mean, look, obviously, you know, like you said, twelve years with the Brewers, twelve years in professional baseball, You've been there, done that. With spring training, you also understand what spring training is, how important it is to obviously the younger guys, and yeah obviously for you too, you know, to get your innings in, start getting ready. But you also understand how important it is to stay healthy all season. Right, It's a long season. It's tough to stay healthy all season. And we've seen you know, your numbers on what you do in the playoffs for the Brewers especially, And I mean I think we would all agree that if when Wu is healthy in the postseason, man, then the Brewers are dangerous. So you know, that's one thing obviously I wanted to ask you about. You know, your preparation going into it. You know what what you kind of do when you lock in, you know what you're doing to kind of take breaks. Obviously, you know with the pitch clock, and you know the amount of times you can step off. I know there's a lot of factors in it. Now, you know, what have you done to kind of prepare yourself from in twenty seventeen when you got called up to now?
Speaker 3: Way different man? The game is.
Speaker 4: You know, you feel like you hear those older guys say the game has changed so much, but I mean it really, it truly has. And spring training is all about now. The more you go through it, the more you really understand. Uh, it's all about getting ready. And when I was younger, like I was, I was really coming in and not that I'm not ready, but I was coming in trying to earn a job. And you see it now, you see it time and time again, younger guys who may not may or may kind of be on the fringe of the roster, and it's it's trying to prove themselves.
Speaker 3: And I you know, we all we've been there.
Speaker 4: So but at this point in my career, you know, I've I know, I've I've got a job.
Speaker 3: So now my main priority.
Speaker 4: Is is trying to build the building blocks, the foundation in spring training to be able to last for the whole season. And it's it's tough, it doesn't matter matter who you are and how many times you go through it, because every year is different. Your body change is you've got to learn it on the fly essentially, and you know you've got a good routine, but that changes over time, and mine has changed a ton since shoulder surgery.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's you really when you look back on it, you really wouldn't trade it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's it's part of the game, it's part of the experience, it's part of your growth in baseball. But you know, honestly, I learned a long time ago, like preparation is the biggest key in being ready for a major League baseball game. It's I mean, you're facing the best hitters in the world and it's not easy, but being prepared is one thing you can control. And that's what I try to fry myself on is just making sure I checked my boxes in between starts of being prepared, looking at the hitters, looking at you know, the scouting reports and and video and making sure them get my body ready. And but yeah, as far as getting locked in, man, I try to stay as loose as possible up into about two and a half hours for the game. I'll go in and get me a good little nap. And when I when I, when I come out of the nap, it's kind of like, all right, it's time to get into a routine and it's time to go and then and that's that's changed a lot over the years.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I used to come in when I was younger, and I would be mentally just worn down, absolutely worn down after a game and uh, you know, just leading up the whole day, trying to wait on the whole day, and and uh so I've got better at that, and that's you know, kids have helped that process a lot, a lot more and well, yeah, just uh, the more and more you stay in this game, you you realize who you are as a player and and you know what it takes to get ready. And it's been a couple of years for me so in terms of in terms of staying healthy. And last year was honestly, besides the last train was was a.
Speaker 3: Heck of a year.
Speaker 4: And I try to really appreciate what happened last year, and it was it was tough, and you know, missing the playoffs again. But if I, if I truly sit down and see, you know, Corey, you went through it with with your stuff. It's it's not easy and there's some some tough days and just to get through what I got through last year, I could sit back and appreciate that and now build off of that for this year.
Speaker 5: The number one rated ticketing app is seat geek and you can get ten percent off on seat geeks app by using the code territory ten, So you should use it.
Speaker 2: Aj Oh, I'm definitely going to use it for WBC games in Miami because I want to go to the semifinals in the finals.
Speaker 1: And they sold out absolutely.
Speaker 2: Spring training games for the people out there who want to go to spring training games, absolutely great idea. Best seats rated one through ten, and I.
Speaker 1: Recently had to use seageek to buy tickets to a Florida Gators basketball game that was sold out.
Speaker 2: So I love the code territory ten percent off and the rating is the best.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's talking about each ticket rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. So look for the green dots. Green means good, red means bad. And of course we have a code for you. Like I mentioned, it's Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets.
Speaker 3: At Sea Geek.
Speaker 5: That's ten percent off any tickets with promo code t E R R I O R Y one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description and download the app and have the code automatically added to your account.
Speaker 3: So you can use it later. Thank you to see Geek.
Speaker 1: I think Wood he just put some perspective. I think it was appreciated. I do feel like people really enjoyed not just your season, but the season you guys had as a whole. Just just looking at the reaction, I'm sure you guys felt that too, especially in the second half. As you know, the ballpark was sold out on it like a you know, Friday night against the Marlins or a Thursday night. You got thirty five thousand, So that was that was That was pretty pretty special to watch you guys last year. Now, you said something there about you know you've got a job now, and that much is very true. You're on a pitching staff where a lot of guys, you know, maybe some of them feel like.
Speaker 2: They they've got a job.
Speaker 1: But really no one really has that big league experience. But so you've got the job. What I'm curious about is is heading going back to the offseason when you got when you got that job, when you sign this deal with the Brewers, Right, so there's that little period of time where you've got the qualifying offer extended and you can kind of feel out maybe what your market is. What does that look like for you? How do you weigh this versus like, you know, we see starting pitchers get multi year deals pretty regularly, like there's there's a premium for what you guys can do. And then also on top of that two part question, do you like, do you feel any pressure and any added pressure compared to just, you know, the standard pressure of being a big leaguer with the price tag that comes with a contract like that in Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: I'll answer that question first because I've already been asked that a few times and the answer is no, I don't feel any more pressure. And it's it's a thing that it just comes along. It's the it's it's part of the game. It's part of the territory. Like if you go out and you do well, that's that's what's supposed to happen. And so I don't feel any extra pressure. And you know, it's at the end of the day, it's baseball. I'm going to prepare and do the same things I've done for you know, twelve years, even though it's changed over time. I'm still gonna prepare myself to go out and pitch and and and and you know, play the game. So that part of it never changes. So there's comfort in that. There's comfort in this. You're just going to play baseball, man, and uh, you're gonna do the same things you do, you know. And but to answer your you know first question, that's uh. Once once the qualifying offer was extended to me, you know, we have twelve days there to make a decision. And to be quite honest, after about fourt as, I had a pretty good understanding.
Speaker 3: Of what was going to happen.
Speaker 4: But you know, myself and my agent, we did our due diligence and be able to see kind of what the market was. And and it's so early in the off season that teams are I wouldn't say they're not prepared for for signing free agents, but.
Speaker 3: It's the it's not moving.
Speaker 4: There's not much action unless you're just uh, you know, the lab strain probably hampered me a little bit, but then there's little caveats with with the the qualifying offer. You know, if a team signed you, they lose draft picks, so that turns a lot of teams off and you kind of see what you know, Zach Gallan ended up signing and going back to Arizona, Michael Keane going back to the Padres. So they a couple of guys ended up, you know that didn't take it signing back with the same team you know they were on. So just a strange year in terms of that. I don't know if it was a record for guys accepting the qualifying offer, but uh, I looked at it in terms of once I kind of knew what was going on, There's there's no place in the big leagues I would rather spend to pitch one year and go prove myself again than in Milwaukee. I mean, it's it's the place I've known, it's a place I've grown up. It's all I know. So when it came to that decision, that was pretty pretty easy, and it was just too early in the off season. You know, you had your you had your guys who were the home run guys who were gonna, you know, get the bigger contracts. But my situation was a little different and you know, the Brewers showed confidence in me, and you know, and I was. I was very thankful for that. And there's no other place I would rather pitch, you know, for a year than this uniform. So it was an easy decision in that in that context, I.
Speaker 2: Would agree as a Brewer fan. Yeah, you know, speaking of numbers, man, I wanted to ask you something also about uh, your pitching numbers. Obviously I didn't. I wasn't, you know, too big into all the metrics. I didn't understand as much you know it was it was pulled out right. Yeah, let me grip it, let me tell it as hard as I can. You know, I know Kurt's real big into the numbers. So what I wanted to ask you, Obviously, you know you are with a pitching coach who is huge into those numbers too. You've had Hookie in Double A in sixteen and now you got Hookie again. You've gone through a lot of different pitching coaches. So and obviously I know you you know your your pitching style has changed a lot as well, you know, with different pitches in your arsenal, So you know, how much are you looking at your metrics? I guess in between starts, you know, before the season starts. How big of a deal is it for you?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: That's that has changed for me so much over my career. I'll never forget the first day that they brought the track man into the bullpen. That was back in twenty nineteen, first full year starting in the big leagues, and they bring the track man into the bullpen, and it kind of just it was odd. And so then it became like, we're trying to throw to some numbers here, We're trying to get a certain tilt, We're trying to get a certain this and that. And I really had a hard time, you know, dealing with that because I would throw a pitch that would have the right spin and tilt to it, but it was over the batter's head. So you know, it's like I just mad. Yeah, I understood who I was and as a pitcher. So then it became from that point forward and bullpens like I need to be able to at the end of the day and need to be able to throw to a good spot. He'd be able to change speeds and out up, down, and but when, like you said, in between starts, I will I know who I am it's very objective, like here's here's who you are as a picture, here's how your stuff plays, here's how it comes out this and that.
Speaker 3: So I do pay attention to that.
Speaker 4: Then it became like, all right, how do I maximize the four seam fastball?
Speaker 3: How do I maximize the two seam fastball?
Speaker 4: And that foundation was laid in twenty eighteen for me, and that's how you know, that evolved for me. But at the end of the day, I try to be a pitcher.
Speaker 3: I try to pitch like I've I've got like I'm throwing eighty eight and I've got to get.
Speaker 4: Big leaguers out. And that's how I tried to approach it. But knowing who I was as a pitcher and the objective measurements of you know, my pitches, and I just try to maximize them, and then once you get in the game, all that goes out the window. Then it just becomes I really try to pride myself on having a good feel for the game and good feel for what the hitters are trying to do, reading swings, and I get this all the time, and Kurt, you guys asked this all the time, why do you throw a certain pitch more in one game than you do another game. It's pretty simple. I throw what the hitter's telling me to throw, and there's no rhyme or reason. And you know, at the end of the day, I know what I'm good at. But if there's a pitch that the guys are not handling, I'm want to go to it more. And so that's all evolved. And then you know, have after coming back from the surgery. You know, metrically, stuff has been a little different, a little different arm swing. Obviously, velosity was down a little bit. So I had to figure out ways to get these guys out and how my stuff was gonna play.
Speaker 3: And truth truthfully, I didn't figure any of that.
Speaker 4: Out until I was going through rehab and I was getting in these rehab starts and and then I you know, I showed up in Miami on that first start back and we get in the in the you know, pregame scouting report meeting, and I straight up just told everybody.
Speaker 3: I was like, look, I don't know how this is gonna go.
Speaker 4: I said, I'm gonna I'm gonna go give it my best, But I was like, we'll figure it out on the fly, and Thank goodness, I was able to kind of throw the ball where I wanted to that day and it worked out. So it's just we've got all these numbers, man, and you can really use them to your advantage.
Speaker 3: And and and.
Speaker 4: Hooky knows when and how to present that to me because he knows I'm not. Uh, I don't lean on the numbers to tell me all the time. But if there's some stuff that's glaring going on, he will bring up, like, hey, you know, we need to pay attention to this or and it may be something as simple as just I'm getting too far over on the rubber and my release side is getting a little, you know, out of hand or whatever. It is, so kind of simple stuff we and and that's kind of how our relationship has evolved. And I mean he took me from Double eight this slow, methodical delivery to speed me up and be able to use my fourth seamer up top, and it kind of learning that process. And then he was the pitching coordinator after that. So I dealt with him a lot in Triple A before I got caught up, and then obviously in nineteen I've been with him since then, so he's seen me throw about every pitch I've thrown in professional baseball almost so we used the eye test a lot and that has a lot to do with it. So but yeah, numbers are a huge part of the game.
Speaker 3: I do like him.
Speaker 4: I don't dismiss him at all, but it's not the end all be all for me as a pitcher.
Speaker 1: Did the numbers tell you the sweeper was good before you started throwing the sweeper?
Speaker 4: Well, I gave up a homer on a sweeper and I didn't throw it for about a month.
Speaker 6: So then the eye test said, I heard that it got me a strikeout.
Speaker 4: But then after that I hung a few and they got deposited and I quit.
Speaker 3: I quit throwing them.
Speaker 1: So what do he Who would you say is the most metrically inclined, Who's the numbers guy on the pitching staff?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: I would say quinn Is is pretty in tune with the numbers.
Speaker 3: I would say he's a good one. Mis Is is.
Speaker 4: If mis would just listen to me, I'm like, buddy, you've got one hundred and two, buddy, just go get them.
Speaker 3: You know. And uh.
Speaker 4: Is coming along, man, He's he's been looking good. So we're expecting some big things from him. But I would say, I would say Quinn is pretty in tune with with all the metrics, and you know, it's kind of crazy you look at it. It's like I think I'm the only guy on on the on the starting staff that well, I'm the only guy I think you may have a year of service time and everybody else is under that and so but they've all grown up with the numbers. You know, I came up in a time when the numbers were just becoming a thing. In my first two years in the big league there was you know, like I said, the track man was then utilized in the bullpen in nineteen So like I kind of saw both sides of that. But you know, I'm not a guy who you say, hey, if you throw the ball here with this certain velocity and certain you know, spin and metrics to your pitch, here's the probability of you know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Well, what if that one.
Speaker 4: Time is you give up a homer, give up a big hit that scores a couple of runs and it loses you the game when you could have went to a different spot or just executed a little bit better. So it's it's a ball for me and I, you know, and it's it's it's fun to look into it, but I don't like go dive into it immediately after a game or anything like that.
Speaker 5: We're going to get into all of the nitty gritty details about why you should switch to mint Mobile, but I brought a special guests in for this one to alert you that you might be paying way too much for.
Speaker 3: Your wireless bill.
Speaker 5: Eric Kratz, can you give me the bullpen dugout phone?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: U lu lu lu lu lulu.
Speaker 2: You want to pay fifteen bucks a month unlimited switch to mint Mobile.
Speaker 7: You were the man unlimited talk, text and data at a fraction of what others charge. Ready to stop paying more than you have to? New customers can make the switch today and for a limited time, get unlimited premium wireless for just fifteen bucks per month. Switch now at mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety for six months, or one eighty for twelve months. Plan required fifteen dollars a month equivalent taxes and fees extra. Initial plan term only over fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Capable device required availability, speed and coverage varies see mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 2: You still got to execute me, that's it. Baseball still got to execute you. Yep, that's see. See a lot of a lot of young wu and miss also. Man, that guy just wants to get down the mound, get that ball over the plate.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: If he's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good stuff, it's special. Man.
Speaker 2: They all kind of reach up.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, go ahead, Kirk, No, go ahead, Corey, you got a question.
Speaker 2: They all kind of I mean, obviously, like you said, there's a lot of young guys, not just in rotation but in the clubhouse as well. Man, I mean, you know it's you and Yelly right looking at all the guys that kind of started with the Freddie praulta Woody Corbyn Burns hater, Yelly you know that whole little error right there, and Bret Phillips and now look you're you and Yelly are the only ones there now, Man, you know have you been Obviously you've kind of taken it by the by the chains and kind of ran with that. Look you're you're the guy that people are coming and asking questions. Man, that that's the vault for me too.
Speaker 4: That's been that's been different for me, you know, this year, coming in the spring as well, because last year it was my only focus was I was just trying to get back on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh, you know a lot of my.
Speaker 4: Attention was you know, on myself and how I could get on the field. And you know, I wasn't in I was rehabbing in Milwaukee, but I was I was rehabbing on the you know, on the road a lot. So I'm bouncing back and forth and and you know, this year after trading Freddie, and I'm kind of you know, the last one standing. And it's it's been it's been a fun process for me, to be honest, and I've never been a huge vocal guy, but I try to lead by example and and try to be the best and most consistent, you know guy in terms of preparation and and just you know, doing the things daily to get my body ready to go, you know, play catch or whatever it is, and try to and try to set those standards in that way. But it's been fun to talk to these guys and help them and because I've gone through the experiences now that you know Quinn and Chad. You know Chad and MIAs went through coming out of the bullpen in the playoffs, pitching in big moments, pitching in big.
Speaker 3: Spots and doing well.
Speaker 4: And drawing from those experiences, just like you know at eighteen, that was that was that basically springboarded me into into.
Speaker 3: Where I'm at now and the pitcher that I am.
Speaker 4: And so I try to just I try to I try to not talk about when I come back to the metrics, I try not to talk about any of that stuff.
Speaker 3: I try to just talk about more of the.
Speaker 4: Mental side of the game with these guys and how to you know, go about pre pitch routine or whatever it is, or type of situations that you get into in the field, because the more and more you pitch, the more the situations you get yourself into, and and just trying to help in that way. So that way, if they you know, something comes up, they that that voice in the back of their head pops up and it's like, Okay, maybe I can go this route to get out of this inning or this jam or whatever it is, And uh, that's the fun part for me. That's cool.
Speaker 3: And so when you can see that and help and and.
Speaker 4: Just let them know I'm not I'm not the old Uh, I'm not the salty vet like you know, I'm not a I love to help in that sense, and you know, and that's that's been a cool transition for me, coming into the spring and just trying to leading that way and just helping any way I can.
Speaker 1: I got a question for you about hitting. What would you hit in today's game? What would your average be?
Speaker 4: Dude, I'll never forget getting the face Noah Cindergard in New York one night and you know they call him Thor and his walkout song is the you know, Thor's theme song, and dude, I was like, holy crap. And then I tried to like had the bun off that and it was one hundred sinking.
Speaker 3: And then I tried to, you know, do.
Speaker 4: The slash bunt and I tried to pull this thing back and get started early and I was super late.
Speaker 3: And it's just it's not fun. It's that part of it was not fun. Uh.
Speaker 4: It's cool to see, but man, I have no idea, Like that's probably not even a fair question to ask, but uh, dude, hitting is so hard and uh, I don't even I wouldn't even have a number for you, man, I really wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do you well, well, what do you go? Do you know what your average your career average is, off top of your noggin.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's got to be over two hundred. You got it in front of you.
Speaker 3: I'll look it up here, Yeah, look it up. We'll see.
Speaker 4: I know I hit like two sixty something one year, I think, but really.
Speaker 3: I really struggled one homer in the regular season.
Speaker 1: Let's see, let's see, we're scrolling. There's so much pitching postseason pitching. All right, drum roll, please, you hit one ninety.
Speaker 3: One over four years.
Speaker 1: But get this, get this, hey, how about this?
Speaker 2: How about this?
Speaker 1: They have your your hitting war point seven. Hey, oh okay, because you're you're you're getting compared to pitchers.
Speaker 3: I guess right, right, Hey, I had a bad year. This was twenty one, I think. And Murphy, yeah, Murph wore me out that year.
Speaker 4: And I mean, dude, like they start spinning first pitch breaking balls and it's like, all right, I'm trying to like just give me the first pitch heater, dude, like you know, and that's that kind of all went out the window, and uh.
Speaker 2: That's your own doing.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: You hit sixty seven nineteen.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And then we get to twenty and I didn't get the hit, and then it was all down hill from it, and I took a year off from hitting this craps hard man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah I would. I wouldn't do too well in today's game, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Who would be the best hitting pitcher on the staff?
Speaker 3: Come on, man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not even question.
Speaker 1: For two way guys on there too. He had some two way guys. Uh, yoho is a two way guy? Well? Was Logan a two A guy in college?
Speaker 2: Is high school?
Speaker 3: I don't know if he was in college or not.
Speaker 1: He was in high school.
Speaker 4: That was the shortstop though, Yoho. Yeah, Well I haven't seen him swing a bat. So for as long as I'm with the Brewers, I'm holding that title.
Speaker 3: I'm holding it and I'm not giving it up. I promise no. Man.
Speaker 4: I say all that, they would probably right, and I would. I would just let me go, pitch man.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll never know.
Speaker 3: We'll never know, never know.
Speaker 1: You guys go out and show Hey, we will never know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're excited to watch you pitch this year. I hope you stay healthy. Thank you have a great year. I did. Let's see, I had one more question more. I just want to ask you. Yeah, I got it right here. Let's see. Okay, what's your favorite stadium? Okay, and try and think back to all your brewers memories that you had. I know you've got a lot, man, what is your so far? What's your favorite breweris memory?
Speaker 3: Okay? Favorite favorite stadium roads?
Speaker 2: Yeah, besides that park, Yeah yeah, American Family Field. Sorry, yeah, you're good after Corey, Yeah, get it right.
Speaker 3: I would say.
Speaker 4: I try to factor in a lot of things. Obviously, the West Coast is pretty sick. San Diego is a good time. They're packed out every time, you know, the last few years. Beautiful weather, perfect weather, perfect weather. Actually, I'm going to say I really enjoy going to Atlanta. It's kind of close to home. Boston was a treat. When we went twenty two and I got to pitch there, I thought, I mean, just I know, we played Wrigley a lot, but Planet.
Speaker 3: Fenway was it was pretty cool, man.
Speaker 4: I know I've said like three stadiums.
Speaker 3: Favorite one. I try to think about, like where I pitched a good at.
Speaker 1: And Okay, so there's there's there's something to this that I don't know. I don't know if how much you've talked about this, like publicly. I've never written about it, but I know we've had conversations about like the mountains and site lines, and there's certain stadiums where you just like pitching there because you my favorite.
Speaker 3: My favorite at home, that's my favorite.
Speaker 4: I mean that's yeah. And I don't know what the numbers say, but I love the visual. I love actually, I really like pitching it Wrily a lot. I feel like it. It feels like you're on top of the head, top of it. That's a that's a good feeling. I really enjoy pitching in Washington. Strange enough, I like don't. For whatever reason, I like pitching there. Saint Louis changed their dirt on their mound a few years ago and it's it's pretty good. And that is a big player into into liking a place.
Speaker 3: And you know, so.
Speaker 4: Not a fan of Miami, not a fan of Miami. Tampa. I like Tampa, like the fan of Tampa. But yeah, a mound has the visual has a big, big part of it.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 6: You forget the second part of this question too. Oh yeah, second chart is a favor memory. I know a lot of people are wanting me to say the homer, but I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 4: In twenty three in September, throwing a complete game shutout.
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 4: That was I'd only had, you know, probably one or two other opportunities, true opportunities. One back in in nineteen and you know, Counts wouldn't let me take that one.
Speaker 3: It was against Philadelphia in a day game, and I really wanted it.
Speaker 4: And then I had that opportunity in twenty three and I basically just told him, you're not taking me out because I don't know how you It's so hard to do now. It's like you don't you don't get those chances every day.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: Quick story about that he told me I had, you know, I think it was at ninety two pitches coming into the ninth inning and he's like, all right, i'll let you go out, but you can't one O.
Speaker 3: File's max like that's it.
Speaker 4: And sure enough I get two outs and then our first off I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I was so nervous.
Speaker 4: And it's on like a Monday night, and I think that was the game after we was we had a no hitter in New York, Corbin and and the rest of the guys had a had a no hitter through like what was it ten innings maybe something in New York. We end up losing that game. So the next night we're playing Miami. There's nobody there, and it just it was kind of just things were happening, you know, double plays this and that, quick.
Speaker 3: Innings and and I get to.
Speaker 4: The ninth and I'm like, dude, I'm like shaking, like I'm nervous and don't even know that. Don't even have a clue why, you know, I just I guess I thought my mind of like never throwing a complete game, shout out and trying to preserve that. And so I get out there throw my warm up pitchers, and I'm like, dangn I gotta i gotta take a breath here, man. And I couldn't find the strike on early, and then I got a couple outs, there were some runners on and and sure enough I get to I believe it was one hundred and four pitches and.
Speaker 3: There was two outs. The hitter was coming up. I see William.
Speaker 4: Coming out, and I thought, man, he's about to take me out right here, you know, with one hundred and four pitches, and I didn't see see Counts coming out, and so then uh, William comes out and he's like, what do you want to throw? Of course, I'm like, first pitch, heater, you know, standard, and then uh and sure enough the first pitch popped it up and got out of it, and so into that thing on like one hundred and five pitches.
Speaker 2: Pretty cools.
Speaker 1: Who's easier to talk into staying in the game.
Speaker 4: Murph recounts, Well, I never really had the opportunity last year with Murph.
Speaker 2: You know that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. You haven't done it with Murph.
Speaker 4: I think Murph's a little bit easier to persuade. There's been there's been some times where you know, Counts was thrown out in Atlanta and I was throwing today game there. This was in nineteen and h Murphy took over and this dude was just let me roll.
Speaker 3: Man. I think I got through eight innings that day.
Speaker 4: He kept just leaving me out there, and so he might be a little bit easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he knows, man, just just a ballplayers coach. Huh, that's it. You got it, man, all right? Well, Woodie, thanks for your time. It's getting late here, it's getting late there. We'll let you, let you get some rest. Thank you so much for joining us. I will see you soon. I'm sure you're looking for what I'm coming out in a couple of days and Bruce fans are looking forward to seeing you. Perhaps you know, we're not saying anything on opening day, but it might be in the cards that would be see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll just take a day at a time.
Speaker 1: They take it a day at a time. We will never get any we won't get anything more out of you, but you know, yeah, I'll maybe speculate. So all right, thanks for the time again, Woody. And please, folks, I haven't I have and done our like and subscribe yet. Corey is there on the screen like please subscribe please. That will help us out as we continue to get going here today.
Speaker 3: M M.