Speaker 1: Welcome to the favorites of the podcast. Part of the Volume Podcast Network item Chad Meulman of The Action Network. Let's get right to it. We're going to bring in my cost my companion, Mike cam Padre, my BFF Professional Better, Simon Hunter et O Simon.
Speaker 2: More Football Chat. Let's get to her brother.
Speaker 1: This week across the nation, Simon. NFL teams commence a decades old right of summer, the return of training camp. We've talked about quarterbacks on this show recently, playoff teams we think will populate the NFL postseason fantasy moves, and today you and I were going to talk about the biggest questions and issues we hope to see resolved by the end of training gamp. But we can't do it alone. To do this, we are welcoming on one of our oldest, dearest, most respected friends in the business, the original original og, host of the Action Network podcast and the Big Bets on Campus podcasts for the Action Network, the Prime Minister of Degenerate Nation. Not going to sleep again until April. Folks. Welcome back, Stucky, Yo.
Speaker 3: What's going on? Thanks for having me, guys, Good to see you again. Good to be talking football.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: Just recorded the kickoff episode for Big Bets on Campus college Football. It's just an overwhelming it's just starting out. It's an overwhelming kind I'm like, I have all these college football teams, and then I'm like, then I said, aside time for NFL. And then I'm like, wait, am I forgetting this about? Have I looked into this? And there's just not enough that you can know this time of the year. But it's still the calm before the storm. It's only you're going to get crazier. So trying to still find some quiet time when I can. But yeah, it'll be here before we know it.
Speaker 2: Can't wait.
Speaker 4: The National Football League originated in the nineteen twenties in rural America, then moved to the cities to flourish and prosper, but each summer the game relives its heritage. Tiny college towns across the country witnessed the first bloom of the NFL season, and coaches welcomed back familiar faces.
Speaker 1: First question the Dallas Cowboys, who I think will make the playoffs. I think they could contend for the conference. I'm doing that in spite of their running back situation, in spite of a curious hire to put it as delicately as possible, in Brian Schottenheimer running an NFL team stock, what do you think of questions being answered and will we see questions answered during training camp regarding the Cowboys, their running back situation and Brian Schottenheimer as a coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not a fan of the higher just a curious off season a recent few years. Curious tole Dak looks that'll definitely be worth keeping an eye on. But I'm not a fan of either Javonte Williams or Miles Standers. I think they've proven that. I mean, maybe you get a bump from Javonte Williams, but the fact that he wasn't able to do anything in that Denver backfield, and just relatively speaking to others too, that it's not like they were other all pro running backs in the backfield kind of troubling. So I think it's important that they get something from their rookies, MafA indor Blue. So yeah, that's something I think worth paying attention to. Now. Seanneimer made some curious comments just about the learning curve of the running backs and how the you know, the veterans have the advantage, So maybe he's not going to give them a fair shake. But I think in order for them to have the best, you know, to reach their ceiling, to have the best possible offense, it's one or both of those rookies have to give them something. Whether it's you know, blue and passing downs. If it's more MafA early, I don't know if they're going to get that real shot, but it's definitely something worth keeping an eye on.
Speaker 1: Simon. We don't like the Brian Schottenheimer higher, We don't like the running back situation. I don't know that that matters in terms of how we're thinking about betting the Cowboys. What could you see? What would you like to see during training camp to make you feel better about the position we're taking on them.
Speaker 2: I don't totally Brian are the My thing with Brian is, like we've talked about, it just felt like so out of left field, where you know, we talk analagem. If they could have got vable, why would you not go to get Rabele Like Jerry Jones has got the money, he can outbid these other owners. But yeah, it's it's an interesting move, but at the same time, it's an offense that Dak's comfortable and that's what's the key.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, at least know the offense won't change that much. You know, Miles Sanders looks like he's in the best ship of his life. We see that this time of year, people will post those type of things.
Speaker 3: Everyone's always in the best shapely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no idea, because it's like Miles's issue is not being in incredible shape of being jacked. It's staying healthy and on the field and you know, hitting the right holes. So it's there's still to me to make questions at their running back position that yeah, I'm hoping to find out more, but we really won't know until the bullets start flying. And to me out the gate, the fact that they're going to Philadelphia, I love it for this team because it's such a tone setter for the rest of their season. If they can go in there pull up that upset. Not that not just the confidence I'll give to the team, but Brian himself, that's a huge deal. So I don't know how much I'll learn in training camp here, but that week one, I really do feel like it sets the tone for this Dallas team for the rest season. They get blown out, man, did they have a rough road ahead of them because the season just keeps getting harder and harder as it goes along. For Dallas here they should.
Speaker 3: Hire they should have hire Dion like it's already a circuit. It's a circus there. Just just embraced the full circus. I mean they brought Pickens in, which fits with the circus.
Speaker 2: That theme.
Speaker 3: We'll see if he's like bought in. That's another thing to keep an eye. You probably won't know that until until games. But that's something like how bought in his piket's going to be because it's gonna have some opportunities opposite of lamb. But uh, it's cowboys are always It's a circus is down there right now?
Speaker 1: Another circus follows him everywhere he goes. Aaron Rodgers to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Chris Raybond has written about this for six years. The slow descent into mediocrity of Aaron Rodgers and the amount of attention that he gets and the amount of expectations that follow because of what kind of career he's had versus how he has actually performed are not in concert. Simon, give me your take on the Steelers. What do we think we will see in training camp to make you feel good because I know you like the Steelers to make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For me, what I'm looking for them training camp is just you want to hear everything's all good with him, that Arthur Smith offense, that he's comfortable in it. And we need TJ in camp. Right, that's the big deal for the Steelers. This camp is just is there no distractions everyone in there? Because I know I get where Chris was coming from, but he was a little early, right, he won a couple MVPs because they did Draftward and eleven. It sparked a new fire under Rogers. We've seen that spark with him and he did feel that doubt last year and he realized that Achilles, it's a lot different coming back from that injury in your early thirties late twenties than it is in your forties. So to me, we saw that second half he was so much better than he was early. He's especially pushing off that leg. So yeah, I just nine and eight with that team. It just it feels right right that just another year where Tomlin somehow gets them to nine or ten wins, and you know that's we know the deal it's an aging team. This feels like the last run for this corps and it's gonna be a rebuild mode for the next three four years for this Pittsburgh franchise.
Speaker 3: Stuck.
Speaker 1: Where are you on Aaron Rodgers and the Steelers right now?
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone really knows, like what level you're gonna get? That's yeah, I think it's it. Seven brings up a good point. Does he embrace the Arthur Smith offense and he's kind of just doing his own thing and he gets rid of the ball so quick. I'm curious to watch the offensive line there too, though, But I think he's could potentially be an upgrade for what they have had in recent years. Effort tour since Big Ben has left. But how much of last year was the injury and how much was it his age? And then there's another year, so how much more will his age impact versus him being another year free clear up the injury that I don't think anyone knows. So it's definitely one to keep an eye on. Yeah, the Steelers, I mean they run at Tomlin's on how does it keep happening? But Voodoo I don't know. I mean the Steelers since two thousand and eight, they're sixty two and seven. When they win the turnover battle, they win like ninety percent of their games. The rest of the NFL when they win the turnover batle it's like seventy ish percent. Since twenty nineteen, after Big Ben left, they're plus fifty turnover margin. They're the only team that has a positive turnover margin every single season. The Chiefs, for example, a team you think of usually good. They're plus ten over that same span. The Steelers in one possession games, they're forty three twenty and one since twenty nineteen. This is what they do. They win all the close games. They win the turnover battle. That's where I think Rogers fifths well Sky one of the lowest interception rates in NFL history to turn the ball over, which is good. I mean, the only team better on one such gets steals in nineteen the Chiefs. They just passed the Steelers because they went what eleven and zero one session games last year. So yeah, I don't know. I think it's wait and C mode until we get into the live games. But uh yeah, it feels like the Steelers are just inevitably going to be nine and eight for eternity where they need to not be for like one year. They need to they need to find their solution at quarterback, which they haven't done since big Enough. I mean, like their long term solution their franchise quarterback, and they need to have just I think eventually they need to have a bad year or get to it really lucky and take a stab at a quarterback. I mean, the Ravens got Lamar at thirty one.
Speaker 2: That's going to say that that's what Pittsburgh's paying for that miss on Lamar like he was so Pittsburgh. The fact that the Ravens do what they do, they came in, they got them at the end of that first I just I feel like it's it just changed the scope with that division for the next ten fifteen years. Like the Pittsburgh Tomlin apparently loved them, the GM didn't. There comes a Raven swooping down take them. I just that whole storyline to me is so magical, where you just see how the two franchisees have gone. One team always think they're going to super Bowl, the other teams happy to get nine and eight. So it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, go ahead, step I was just gonna say, I've been the Ravens have won a Super Bowl since it's twelve either, But I mean they feel they're so much closer. But like, if I'm a Steelers fans, you could argue both sides, like are you just tired of this? Like Tomlin? He's so good at what he does, but are you just tired of the tom and speaking tired? They don't want to playoff game in what eight years? But like, then again, you're always Sundays, You're like in the mix, right, So because Sunday, who wants to go through two years where you're not in the mix. So, but it just feels like they just need to they need a reset to get back into that mix. Now maybe this is the time, right, Like I don't know, but this this does feel like the last Serrah, or it should be.
Speaker 4: There's glory in the legends of this hard muscle life, and there's poetry in each season made of sweat and stripe, But now is the time to work and strain of a sport that tests the spirit and challenges the brain.
Speaker 1: There are four quarterback situations. They're not even controversies, they're just what is the worst of a bad situation? The Saints, who might have the worst quarterback room in NFL history. They're basically deciding between a twenty five year old second round pick who's a rookie and a not that much younger sixth round pick, second year player who performed terribly last year in their quarterback room. The Giants drafted a quarterback high in Jackson Dart in the first round, but really they signed Russell Wilson and Jameis Winston to be the starting quarterback this year. The Browns, we all know what they did with Dylan Gabriel, dr Sanders, but Joe Flacco might be the starting quarterback. And then in Indy we've got Daniel Jones and Anthony Richardson Simon. Of those four situations, rank them for me from worst to less worst.
Speaker 2: All it depends what we're looking for, you Like, just this season, I guess, yeah, Saints probably are gonna be the worst team, and you know they're they're in a nice spot though. They if this kid starts he shows nothing, Like you know, Rosen, you get the number one pick, you just take another quarterback, You just keep shooting the shot. So the Saints, if this kid's absolutely terrible, great, like they that whole their car thing, just put them in the hole of holes. So I think everything is kind of graver for them. But yeah, do I think will be the worstest here. Of course, giants right there with him. It's I mean, I know they're gonna do. They'll probably start the VET. I hope Dark comes in. He's just lights up in camp, right, I mean, he has so much to work on. Just I mean, it's brutal because it's they're in the probably the toughest division in NFC. But just throw them to the wolves. Just see what the kids made up. We see time and time again either these kids can swim or they sink. And to me they another late first round pick. Let's see what Dart has. Yeah, the the Browns. I put them below the Colts just for this upcoming year because of what you talked about chat. It's like, is it Flacco does he lose out to Shador? Does somehow Gabriel beat him out? Like it's just so many unknowns that like they are a team that I'm excited to watch them in the training camp because they're going to be, in my mind playing all those guys a lot, and they'll be fun to bet on or bet against depending on how bad these quarterbacks are. But yeah, that's the unknown. There is insane where you know, the Colts of all these guys, all these bad teams. We joked about it, there's a world where the Colts can win their division. Like if Daniel Jones comes in to this situation and makes it work, it could happen. Like we've seen him when he's right, when he can run the ball, he's pretty talented. When he does zero time like he's had with the Giants, burning that awful offensive line, he was terrible. So you know, it's it's tough. But to me, I don't know how Anthony Richardon beats out Daniel Jones if he's not healthy, he's not practicing this upcoming training camp. So I just feel like it's gonna be Daniels job to lose. So yeah, I guess I'll have a right in the order you put it in there, Chad Saints, Giants, Brown's Colts stuck.
Speaker 1: Which one of these are UNI paid most attention to. I mean, you think will have the biggest impact on how you bet this season, both futures and during the regular season.
Speaker 3: The Steelers going nine and eight and Daniel Jones. We're gonna be talking about those two things forever. I mean, the Colts have to start Richards. I mean, we're seeing his health. I don't know if they will, but see, obviously it depends on his health. And that's something to keep an eye for trading camp. But like you gotta find out what you have with your high draftic like Daniel Jones is going to win you a Super Bowl, Like, you just got to find out and then figure out if you got to pivot off there. By the way, this is not the Saint's sonat the worst quarterback room of all time. There's been some bad ones. Maybe it'll end up any way, but at least there's some on sertainty with Chuck. But I'll just I'll throw out a couple just for fun. Danny Knell the ninety seven Giants took over for Dave Brown. He averaged one hundred and five yards per game over like ten games. The two thousand Chiefs two thousand and seven Chiefs, it was a hard knocks team. If you want to go back and watch a bad Hard Knocks Brody Croyle versus Damon Heward. That was the quarterbacks that year. Two thousand and one Panthers you met. You mentioned Chuck's age.
Speaker 2: Chad.
Speaker 3: The two thousand and one Panthers went one in fifteen. Chris Winky was their quarterback. He was thirty as a rookie. I think you had to leve. I got to remember that eleven touchdowns, nineteen interceptions they went one in fifteen, and then you've got to get a Browns team in there. Two thousand Browns, Tim Couch and Doug Peterson. I think Spurgeon win started the game. They combined nine touchdowns, nine and nineteen interceptions. That's as bad as it gets. But I will say from a wind totals perspective, it's something you want to keep an eye on, or at least just be cognizant of. With the Giants, it's like I think they're gonna start RUSS, but then they have a really hard schedule. So if it goes downhill, but I don't know, with like Dabo on his job, but I don't know if they are, they then like, all right, let's just throw the kid out there, right, and then you could end up losing more games. Your floor goes down. So with these low win totals, that's something to keep in mind. NFL teams don't tank. Every once in a while you have a team and the Bucks came out they did this one year and like a week eighteen, you really want to lose for a draft pick. And even then teams mess themselves up all the time. Giants did it last year. They don't tank, but you could just make decisions to Like the Browns, for example, very low win total. I think they're gonna start Flaco. I think he's the best option right now. But if the brown season goes downhill, is a team that probably wants to get a high draft pick. Again, I don't know, but then they traded for two quarterbacks and draft the two quarterbacks. But then you might just throw the kids in there and see what you got, and then it could be really bad, go from bad to worse. So yeah, keeping an eye on all of them. But the most interesting to me is is probably the cults. I just as far as campus concerned, I want to see, like where Richardson's at, how healthy he is, and what happens with that situation. But like it's definitely something to keep an eye with. The wind totals like that, something that I'm afraid of with the Browns, Like I showed a little value and they're over But like I'm like, who knows what ends up happening with these quarterbacks and then their decision if they're sitting at three and ten or four and ten, what they do in the last couple of games. It's it's definitely something to keep in mind.
Speaker 1: Well, look, we're talking about quarterbacks, and we're talking about what they're going to look like in training camp. Obviously, there has been a huge discussion about Ben Johnson joining the Bears. Stuck you just talked about, you know, July is the best shape of your life. He's going to be a team leader season. How do you separate this? We see Caleb, we see Ben Johnson. What can we possibly learn during training camp as an avid fan and a season better and a veteran camp watcher who in takes this information for real value? What will you see? What would you like to see that won't just be hyperbole?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean a lot of it is, first of all, like interceptions and something like camps and can be a good thing like this is when you're like starting to figure out things that people overreact to that. But with Caleb, it's going to come down to does he understand and he's he willing to understand the structure and the logic of the offense and make those easy throw the quick reads going through his progressions instead of you know, he's got to take fewer negative plays.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The offensive line is going to help with that. I mean, I think they're probably the most improved offensive line in the NFL. One of the reasons I'm pretty high on the Bears for like maybe the first time since like the two thousands. His deep ball is something that I want to watch, Like just the deep ball numbers, accuracy, and that comes down to the footwork which needs to be worked on the trust of the offensive line, and but it's really there's eliminating those negative plays. Like you still want him to have some of that improvisation, which is what you know made him great in college, and you don't want to take that all away, but just like fully understanding the offense, improving some of that footwork, and then just really buying in and a lot of that is just what you kind of have to infer from some of the things you watch and read, and you can't You're not going to figure it all out in camp and some of it's just going to be like and there's gonna be a learning curve it So we have to expect with Caleb and this new offense, you're not going to learn at all this during camp. But that's definitely what I'm keeping my eye on. Deep balls, the footwork, the timing, and then just some of the things I'm hearing. I think there's a lot of potential there and a lot of it's going to fall on Caleb because they've they've put everything around them. But give them, Ben Johnson, they went out, they got the offensive line. Now you have the weapons on the outside. Now there's really no more excuses. It's time to put up a shut up for Caleb.
Speaker 1: Simon. What do you need to see or hear? I know you don't like the Bears to make the playoffs, but what do you need to see or hear to give you indication there will be success in Chicago with this duo.
Speaker 2: Honestly, you really just wanted to see that he's picking up the Offensecaleb like that. That's all that matters. Because I told you this this year feels like it's a year for or both of them to grow, right, It's his first year coaching and Ben Johnson. It's Caleb's first year and real offense with a real head coach that's gonna have him watch film and go over film with him. Like it's going to be exactly what he wants and he needs, right he wants to be pushed to the highest level. So yeah, for me, there's gonna it's gonna be tough because it's gonna be so much it's just gonna be roses. Like your whole Chicago right now is just so happy and in love with what they have. It's gonna be tough to have a real beat writer give real opinions on what's happening. But if Caleb's just doing awful back to back days and camp and it's still happening towards the beginning of the season, that's a big deal. You want to see you know, early early day struggles, no problem, right, I always say up until August about twenty fifth, I don't really mind if quarterbacks like Stuck you're talking about, they're throwing picks, if they're if they're pushing the envelope because they're not tuning up for the season. Once after that, once they're starting to get ready for week one and the upcoming season. To me, that's when it's becoming a problem because that really is the off and so they're going to run for those upcoming games. So that's that's a team where the Bears. I won't be too checking in on them too much early on, but before the season I'm going to be reading a lot of what their be writers are saying about how he's looking in the offense and if he's grown throughout you know, August in this offense. So yeah, it's a it's a big deal chat this upcoming season are Kailer Williams.
Speaker 3: Sometimes no interceptions can be worse than like than a lot in like camp and in early days like you're not you're not taking risks, you're not kind of pushing the envelope and figuring things out and trying to make throws and seeing like but the deep ball is really what I'm interested in, and then just how how he looks like it that if he's grasping it or not.
Speaker 1: Sam is not going to be checking on the Bears because he's got a Bears, he's got an anti Bears bias. Now, I like money, Well, the best way to make money is not to lose money.
Speaker 3: I'm past this year, Jem, what's that I'm pro Bears this year.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that one of us will be right. Well, two of us are going to be right.
Speaker 2: Stuck, though, what's what are you hoping for? Chad? Just the playoffs? Loss?
Speaker 1: Playoffs? Playoffs? I just want the Bears to make the playoffs. I want them to build.
Speaker 2: I can see now Bears going down to Tampa. There you go.
Speaker 1: Honest to God, that's that's exactly what it could be. I just want progress and success. I know Brandon Anderson said it best. Growth is not linear, but I would like some growth, any kind of growth. Uh, speaking of growth is not linear. I have been on the record and saying that I think the most impactful off season addition to any team could be Robert Salah rejoining the San Francisco forty nine ers when they're coming off a dreadful year with a lot of injuries. But I think his bi to remake that defense could make them the number one seed in the NFC. Stuck. How much of a difference will Robert Salah really make?
Speaker 3: I don't know about Will, but he can like they've been since he left. I mean, you even saw when he left. The Jets like their defense off He's a really good defensive coordinator, and the forty nine ers have kind of been searching for the guy and that identity since he left. So skimm and they're gonna need some schematic help because they lost a lot of talent. They're gonna need some young guys to step up. So it's not Sale's not gonna be able to just come in and save the day. They're gonna need some They're gonna need to stay healthy too. It's probably that's what doomed them last year across the board on offense and defense. But I do think it was a huge higher. They've been searching basically for his replacement, haven't been able to find it, and I think he's one of the best defensive coordinators. Maybe he's just not cut out for being a head coach. It'll work out again in the future. You know, you learn from things. But I think it was a great hire. They're gonna need some there. There's some talent lacking in certain areas if they don't get some young guys to hit. But I think it was as good of a hire as they could have made.
Speaker 1: Simon, You're not as high in the Niners as I am, how.
Speaker 2: Come because there's just so many unknowns about the Niners. I the reason I'm on them in general, the fact I'm betting them to make the playoffs is because there is the talent there and they have the coaching there In the schedule, like they have the schedule to make the playoffs, Like to me, it lines up really nice for them. Those upcoming season is four and aras team. And that's my biggest question in training camp is these last two years, the way they've drafted, they have to hit, like they just they've been paying such top heavy guys. Now at this point they have to be hitting in this draft and bringing him in it to me is such a key, key deal. Like Sala, the different team makes and improving guys defensively is massive and we've seen it time him again, like like we talked about that drop off after he left the Jets was noticeable right away. So to me, that's like we already nailed it. But that could be the biggest ad of any defensive team, is that him as a DC to that forty nine ers team Like that, to me, all the moves that's happened and any teams on like you know, teams at any different players, their defense, everything like that. Adding the right coach like him to a defense with young talent, if he can build on that and coach them up, it's gonna be huge for them because we talked about like they're they're another team. They're all in right, Like like McCaffrey, everything we've read, he's healthy, so to us, we don't really have questions about their offense so much. The questions for the forty nine ers right now is just that defense. So yeah, big deal getting him back there on the forty nine ers and excited to see how they look at an upcoming camp right that's it's gonna be pretty tony to see what they run in camp because they probably won't run much in the games. But seeing what he's gonna run, what style he's gonna run for that defense, I'm excited to see because obviously Fred Warner, he's the cog on the machine that makes it all go.
Speaker 1: The Cincinnati Bengals Joe Burrow. Everyone thinks he's amazing. Top four quarterback with Lamar, Josh Allen, and Patrick Mahomes, at least according to most. Maybe not Simon Hunter, but they cannot get out of their own way when it comes to contract negotiations. The Trey Hunterson thing has been downright challenging what they're doing with Shamar Stewart, the first round pick has been Bengal peak Bengals and does.
Speaker 3: Rumors he might go back to A and M and he might challenge like the NCAA on legality. It came out this.
Speaker 1: Morning, Bengals incompetence so stuck. How does that like, what does that foretell for you as a Lexington resident, Cincinnati might be the closest NFL team to where you are as a as a Midwestern Kentuckian football officionado, Can this team get out of its own fucking way?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It is, since he's like an hour and a half from Lexington Airport. I use sometimes. I mean the Bengals, they they're gonna have gotta hope Al Golden comes in and has a magic wand and schematically because yeah, they I don't think they fix the defense. Defense Canna bad again. They're gonna be a ton of shootouts. The state of their defense just significantly lowers their ceiling. I mean, it's what Barrow has done. He's not working with much I mean his offensive line has been bad every year. It's under pressure as much as any quarterback. That their run game is always bad and their defense now is bad, Like he has no help just as receivers. The other thing is they paid both receivers. He paid Burrow and they're just a bad They can't draft. They're so so bad at drafting. Just a poorly run organization that happened to hit on some obvious picks with the receivers and Barrow, but they don't have much else. And now if you don't have Hendrickson, I mean without Hendrickson last year they were third dead last, and pressure rate dead last, and completion percentage allowed dead last, and success rate dead last, and passed dead last across the board. And I mean he had what a third of the team's pressures. He had seventeen and a half sacks back to back years. You know, the only two players I've ever done that are Reggie White and JJ Watt. Now he's not gonna be there. Then you try to draft Stewart, who I would even wasn't a fan of, he might not be there. There's just questions across the board.
Speaker 1: Well, look, that's the thing.
Speaker 5: By the way they draft Stewart, who's a athlete looking personified and had zero stats.
Speaker 1: I spoke to a college a guy who used to run a scattering department in the NFL, and I said to him before the draft, what do you think of this? He goes, college coaches are trying to win. They don't build schemes to go against the best player on the field. If the guy isn't producing and he's their best athlete, there is something else going on there, and yet the Bengals continue to get in their way. That was the most Bengals pick, Stuck, You're nailing it. Are we all being fooled by the fact they drafted Joe Burrow and he masks over so many problems? Simon, I know you've got a strong opinion on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm appreciating with Stucky Sander. I feels like I'm nailing my early picture that I just think they're an easily fatable team because of what we talked about. Just horrible offensive line and defense to me, is only going to get worse, and they've just not addressed in any way in the draft to improve that defense. And you know, to me, Stucky, this is your division of your fandom, Like, wouldn't you rather take Pittsburgh at a plus number to make the playoffs and take the Bengals at a plus number to miss the playoffs if you're a bet and man, rather than taking them both at minus numbers the Pittsburgh and missed the playoffs and Bengals to make I just I think it's really people flip flopped it because of Joe Burrow. Like we talked about, he's just he's likable. The general public views him as a top five quarterback. He's a proven winner because of what we saw him do in college, making the super Bowl year two. But I've said to Chad, he's not done a single thing since that Super Bowl run, right, And you could say, well, he's at injuries. That's true. And guess what. They just wasted a healthy year of Joe Burrow last year. And that's another thing that just jumps out to me. It's like they just they hit on they hit on it, and they got lucky because he lasted behind that offensive line. Now they have another year with their defense might have gotten worse and they didn't improve that offensive line. So yeah, it's I'm just so down this team. It's not a Joe Burrow. Think it's just the team as a whole. I think they're in too tough a division to be this bad throughout, you know, defensively an offensive line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you pay Burrow like that's you. That's when you can go for it as a team like the Bengals, he had him on his rookie contract to pay them. They're not able to address. They're not able to draft, right, So like these really elite teams that end up having to pay the quarterback, which is something I always I like to watch in camp, is in order for these teams to stay elite, Like do you have an elite quarterback, you're gonna be good like the real elite teams. But the Chiefs, the Ravens, the Eagles, Right, they're able to draft really well, and that's how they're able to plug some of the holes. Like look at the Eagles, they're all the questions two years ago were about that their secondary and their secondary fell off a cliff, right, they went in the draft, announce it and hit like the Ravens their secondary campaign as many guys. If we'll see if they do with Starks, but they've hit on some guys that have just kept their team elevated. The Bengals aren't able to do that. There's such a bad drafting team and they're so poorly run. And you look at their roster, top five quarterback, top five receivers, what about the rest of the roster, what other groups where you like they might all be bottom ten, the rest all the all their other position groups are bottom ten. And the failures of drafted offensive lineman over the years, I mean that's going on decade plus. Uh, there's just so many holes throughout this roster. Yeah, I mean, if they're gonna need the rookie guards to hit, Stuart to want to play, sign Hendrickson al Golden does some magic, and then they're just gonna need some close game variants. Like that's the story for the Bengals this year to get to the playofs because they're gonna be a shootouts. They're gonna be in games with everybody. But it's hard to see that defense and offensive line being good enough to you know, make a deep run in the playoffs. And that's if like all these other things go right with the offensive line, with Stuart, Hendrickson and Golden having a positive impact. So yeah, it's probably another year of Bengaling.
Speaker 1: Last question, Matt Mitchell's favorite team, the Buffalo bill are against their will being featured on Hard Knocks. The Bears had that problem last year, The Giants had that problem. The Jets were cursed with a Hard Knocks season.
Speaker 3: Wait, is that true? They can just force you to do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, if you've never done it, they can force you to do it.
Speaker 3: Wow. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, And so the Bills are being forced to do it. Should we look at this as a curse for the Buffalo Bills?
Speaker 3: Stucky, I'm just looking forward to creating. I always love watching Hard Knocks. When's that start? When's the episode one? It's usually like I feel like it's like the first week of August, like August six, you'll.
Speaker 1: Be the first week of August. They got to get some weeks in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's and it's always like, Okay, NFL is right around the corner. The first time, is Shriver still doing I believe he does.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: When I hear his voice the first time, I'm like, all right. By the way, I watched a decent like this is a good Hotel Plane movie with Led Schreiber. It was called a human Capital, it's pretty good, not great, but it was entertaining.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm getting on a plane in twenty four hours, so I'll totally check it out.
Speaker 3: Human Capital. Yeah, But quest about the Bills. I'm just looking for watching and then getting screenshots and means of Sean McDermott terrorist means for things that he might say, so I can take out a context. That's really what I'm looking forward to. But the Bills. By the way, the Bills talk about turnover regression or plus twenty four last year, does that swing back the other way? It was best of any team in twelve years. What I'm watching for the Bills, though everybody eats, is their slogan on them. But I'm still curious about the wide receivers. The main thing is their secondary how that comes together with the rookie, how the safeties come together to Bishop, and just how that all works. I think that's probably the two questions you have with the Bills this year going into this year is and then what happens with Cook But they're their defensive backs and then wide receivers is what I'm interested to watch, but mainly try to get some McDermott memes.
Speaker 1: Simon, are you concerned for Matt Mitchell and the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 2: I mean, what curse? They've ember won a Super Bowl, so what is there to curse? I mean in their mindset. I'm just saying, as a Bills fan, it can't get any worse. They've been through hell and back, so it's like, you know, I don't think a curse that people bestow from them is scary as them. They're above a curse at this point, like they they know the deal. Josh Allen knows the deal. Like we talked about it that he was happy to win the MVP last year, but you can tell he's like, I'm sick of going to sports psychologists and talking about Patrick Mahomes to conquer this mountain. And that's what this season lines up for perfectly. They have the easiest schedule. I think any professionally talk to thinks they have the easiest schedule in the AFC. You know, sure shocked the world, New England might do it, or justin Fields in the Jets. Something crazy could happen. But there's a reason they're over minus two hundred to win their division. Right now. It's it's the Bills year. It's lined up, So to me, I am excited to watch it. Right, we all love Josh Allen. Excited to see more camera time in because he's kind of like this goofy, weird kind of dude, Like he says some funny shit when he does talk and open up like he to me, has always been a very funny guy, even if you know, if you're an old part of my take fan, they had him on before the draft and immediately you're just like, fuck, this dude's really likeable. I hope my team drafts from LID. Did we know he was going to be some day of the MVP and the best player ever? So yeah, I'm excited for Hard Knocks. I'm happy they picked the franchise like the Bills. No no disrespect to you know, Chicago or the Giants, but those are organizations that aren't the best to run organizations. Right. They've both kind of had faltered here these last five ten years. But the Bills they're on the up and up, so it'd be cool to get a peek behind the curtain to see what kind of team they are in this upcoming season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say that the I just mentioned the drafting the Bills like their defense really fell off and has really cost them in playoffs. So what do they do you know for their five free agent signings on the defense and first five picks in the draft on the defensive side of the ball, Like they have you have Josh Allen and you have a good offensive line. Yeah, you have the offense figured out, it's all about that defense. Are these draft picks, these free agent signs can to hit that something that I'm looking to watch And you mentioned the Bills. Yeah, there's a reason they're having favorites during the division. The schedule sets up so nice for them. They are all they're hard. Games are at home. There's no back to back road games and the Bills at home. Last three years, they've lost one game at home in regulation. I wonder if our producer Bills fans can remember the game they lost to the Broncos twenty four to twenty two. And like Russell Wilson, you remember this camping was like two years ago, Mitchell, Well.
Speaker 1: Look now we got a lot more to look forward to for training camp. By hoping to God we can cross our fingers against the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 3: Get a raven shout out. I'm watching one thing I'm watching for the first time forever. A new kicker I gotta see. We got to see this. A rookie kicks, right, and a new kicker in Baltimore. It's gonna be very weird to like, I feel like every other team now, although Tucker had fallen off the last year or two, but for so long, I'm like, oh, Tucker's coming out automatically. You know you're gonna make anything under fifty. Now I'm going to a rookie kicker, Like I have the anxiety of every other team, every other fan base that's had for years that I've taken for granted. So I'm looking forward to watching me some loop.
Speaker 1: Welcome to it. Stuck, It's the age of anxiety. Listen to Stuck Big Bets on Campus the Action Networks the Thursday, the Wednesday night Thursday morning episode that's Stuck in Raybund on Action Network Podcasts. Much must Must Listen. The Favorites will return with our next episode Tuesday on the Action Ork YouTube page. We're going to kick off our NFL Division betting previews. Download us from Spotify, Apple Pods, wherever you get your pods, rate reviews, subscribe, leave us five stars say whatever you want. Beedback is a gift. Until next time.
Speaker 4: Love You.
Speaker 1: Action Network reminds you please gamble responsibly. If you or someone you care about has a gambling problem, help Us available twenty four to seven at one eight hundred gambler