Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central is America's only sorts for news. It's The Daily Show with your host Franny Day. Welcome to The Daily Show. I'm Ronnie Shang. We got so much to talk about Tonight. Trump takes out the trash, the election turns into agenda war, and we send John Leguizamo under cover to talk to Latino voters. So let's get into Indecision twenty twenty four in America today was the environmental and public health disaster known as Halloween, where kids dress up in single use costumes. I need forty pounds of sugar because five hundred years ago people were scared of the dock or something. But it's not just kids dressing up in costumes. It's also grown men climbing.
Speaker 3: A boarder garbage truck in Green Bay that had his campaign's logo on the side.
Speaker 1: How do you like my garbage truck?
Speaker 4: This truck is an honor of Kamala.
Speaker 3: And Joe Biden. Former President Trump embraced his latest political cent piece as he amped up his attacks on Democrats.
Speaker 5: Two hundred and fifty million people are not garbage.
Speaker 1: I could tell you.
Speaker 4: The real garbages, but we won't say that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you dressed up as a garbage man because you say Biden called your supporters garbage, and you're saying they're not garbage, but you're taking out the garbage, which is someone else, but you won't tell us who it is. And also, no one should call anyone garbage, but you just did because you're the garbage man. So, in other words, the perfect metaphor. By the way, for anyone thinking of dressing up as Trump for Halloween, you gotta be really cared for at this point because it's getting kind of closed the blackface or.
Speaker 6: What I mean.
Speaker 3: But you know what, it doesn't matter how weird you look, how stupid your metaphor is, or how badly you fucked it up, as long as you look great getting into that garbage truck.
Speaker 7: Donald Trump actually climbing, I should say, stumbling into a garbage truck.
Speaker 1: Nailed it.
Speaker 3: And to be fair, if Joe Biden did that, it would have broken every bone in his body. But look at how hot Trump is committing to the whole garbage thing. I mean, if only Joe Biden had been like all of Trump's supporters are always goggling their own piss, and he'd be like, is that what you think? I'll show you. Now. I'm not a professional expert pundit, but I think it's very unlikely that this race will be decided by the war over garbage, because there's a much more important battle here boobs versus balls.
Speaker 8: This presidential race could be a battle of the sexes this election cycle. The thirty point gender gap between men and women is stark, with NBC News polling showing women.
Speaker 6: Supporting Vice President.
Speaker 8: Harris by a fourteen point margin.
Speaker 7: If Harris wins, because women crawl over broken glass to break the glass ceiling.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there was a glass on the floor before they broke the glass ceiling. So then whether the broken glass come from if the ceiling is Why is everyone in America so bad? A metaphors? Look, I don't know why Trump does badly with women. Okay, I mean, yeah, sure, he shredded their reproductive rights or whatever, but he's only been accused of groping twenty six of them. Oh what, sorry, sorry, what's that? That was a new one? Last week? Okay twenty seven? Oh sorry, what was that? That was a new one? Yesterday. Okay, well, look, I can't understand why no one heard about it. Okay, the media had a big gobag truck story to cover. But Trump isn't giving up. He made another pitch to women last night in a way that wasn't creepy at all.
Speaker 9: Right, people told me about four weeks ago, I always say, no, I want to protect the people.
Speaker 7: I want to protect the women of our country.
Speaker 1: I want to protect the women. Sir, please don't say that.
Speaker 7: Why. They said, we think it's we think it's very inappropriate for you to say.
Speaker 1: I say why.
Speaker 7: I said, Well, I'm going to do it, whether the women like it or not.
Speaker 10: I'm going to protect them.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a name for when you take care of a woman who doesn't want you to take care of her. It's called kidnapping. And there is no situation where whether you like it or not is a good sales pitch. Unlimited shrimp, whether you like it or not would be a pass from me. So Trump's reaching out to women as successfully as he reached out to that Goby's truck door. Meanwhile, Kamala supporters are trying to win even more female voters with a stealth campaign to sway hesitant women in conservative areas.
Speaker 1: Sticky notes reminding women that their voter secret have been popping up in women's bathrooms all over the country thanks to a viral grassroots campaign by Kamala Harris supporters.
Speaker 11: This is a campaign to put these post it notes in the bathrooms, giving women the permission to vote for who they want to.
Speaker 6: So it says, nobody knows who you vote.
Speaker 10: For, so vote for who you want for.
Speaker 3: Vote hairs for women's rights.
Speaker 4: How many of these have you made?
Speaker 6: We've made thousands, thousands and thousands. I saw it online and all the women in my area, they're all doing it.
Speaker 10: They're literally driving up to Wisconsin to the truck stops just to do this.
Speaker 3: Dan, that is the most wholesome reason to visit a truck stop bathroom. I mean, just imagine how disappointed you'd be seeing one of these coming out a glory hall. But that's right, Kamala support us think there are a lot of women who would vote for her if they knew their husbands or neighbors wouldn't find out. So they're going all the way into women's bathrooms to let them know. And you may laugh at that, but polls consistently show that the most important voting block in Michigan is women on the road trips who have diarrhea. And I guess this is an interesting idea, but is there any place left that we can't be saved from political ads? I mean, a public bathroom is a sacred place where we're not Democrats or Republicans, were just Americans who are hoping a handicap person doesn't need the handicap stall while I'm in there. I just don't know if this is gonna work. I've never seen anything in a bathroom that's changed my opinion for a good time called Megan, please wash your hands. I'm not doing any of that. But if you're a woman who doesn't go to a bathroom, and I know some women don't because I've never seen my wife take a shit ever. Harry supporters have put out TV ads reminding women with conservative husbands that their votes are secret to.
Speaker 8: Your current honey, in the one place in America where women still have a right to choose, you can vote any way you want.
Speaker 6: And no one will ever know.
Speaker 3: Did you make the right choice?
Speaker 8: Shared in honey, Remember what happens in the booth stays in the booth.
Speaker 1: Did that stay in the booth?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if it could be more obvious that something was going on with those women. I mean, if I was a husband, I'd be like, wait, okay, you guys are either voting for Kamala or you're having an affair. Okay, because there's a lot of electricity here, and I'm scared, but I'm also turned on. If all that extra long staring wasn't suspicious enough, there's another ad whether women are even more obvious.
Speaker 1: You're still voting for him?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah?
Speaker 1: What about your wife?
Speaker 3: She didn't like him, but she's voting for him.
Speaker 11: Same with mine.
Speaker 3: Guys, you gotta stop mouthing Kamala. It's supposed to be a supposed to be a secret conspiracy. What voting for Kamala?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: I said, are we voting for Comela?
Speaker 1: Yes? But we have to keep it a sacred aw sin. It's the husbands will murder us.
Speaker 3: Hey, is it weird that they're like fifty years older than us. Seriously, look at those husbands, like, you don't have to mouth it. I'm pretty sure they won't listen to you even if you talk at full volume. Okay, And maybe I'm just being a heroic feminist here as usual. But isn't it a little sexist for these asks to suggest that women are morons who don't know how to vote? But you know, I guess it's okay because they're also saying that men are morons who don't know how to vote. Come on, boys, let's make America great.
Speaker 1: Care sure turn buddy.
Speaker 11: Before you cast your vote in this election, think about how it'll impact the people you care about the most. Remember, you can vote any way you want and no one will ever know.
Speaker 1: Do your patriotic duty.
Speaker 11: You better have been What happens in the booth stays in the booth.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the women are secretly voting for Kamalaw, but the men who are threatening them are also voting for Kamalaws. It's gonna be so romantic when they all find out. It's gonna be like that stupid Peanut Colada song. And by the way, why is everybody in these ads voting in groups? I've never seen a group of bros just vote together like that heading to the tailgate. And also, this guy walked into the voting room with his bros, but then walked out with his family I mean, what the happening. I get the woman ad, but this ad is ridiculous. Okay, no real man is gonna prioritize his wife and daughter over a guy with his own customized garbage truck. Okay, you can't now coo that is, you can't be that now. If you're worried that trying to secretly coordinate votes with eye contact might be too confusing, well here's a new ad that will clarify absolutely nothing.
Speaker 4: All right, everyone, time to vote.
Speaker 1: Let's all vote the right way if you know what I mean, of course.
Speaker 8: Honey, Remember that this election you can vote for whoever you want, and no one has to know, no one at all. Your vote is secret from everyone, which means the choice is totally up to you. This election, let's celebrate our power to choose. So cast your ballot with confidence, because this ballot is all yours. The secret ballot is what makes America America. It's as American as apple pie. So this election day, remember don't get distracted by nodding. Focus on making your voice heard.
Speaker 6: Ready turning your ballot, honey, sure am, polls are closed.
Speaker 3: You've been standing there nodding for thirteen hours.
Speaker 7: Stop it okay, all right.
Speaker 6: Thank you for your time.
Speaker 1: Will come back, John Wizamo. We'll find out what Latino votes. Nothing, don't go.
Speaker 12: Away, he welcome back to the Dawn Show.
Speaker 3: Dal Trope is doing surprisingly well with Latino voters and the polls this year. But why, John Leguizamo decides to find out.
Speaker 5: Election days almost upon US and Democrats are concerned about Donald Trump's surprising support in the Latino community. A new poll has Trump gaining ground with Latino voters.
Speaker 10: Vice President Harris struggling to hold on to let voters.
Speaker 5: So I assembled a panel of undecided and Trump curious Latino voters to see why they haven't been turned off by inflammatory statements.
Speaker 7: Like Kamala has imported an army of illegal alien gang members and migrant criminals from prisons and jails.
Speaker 5: Trump's rhetoric about Latinos is darker than a twelve hour chocolate moley, but does that matter to these voters. To get the unvarnished truth, I disguised myself as a representative of pro Trump super Pack the plan tell them.
Speaker 4: I was trying to better understand.
Speaker 5: How Trump could appeal to Latino voters while confronting them with Trump's racism firsthand.
Speaker 4: Can I see everybody's.
Speaker 5: ID real quick and see if you're real citizens?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 10: No, I was born in California, But where are you really from?
Speaker 4: Come on?
Speaker 6: Parents are not born from Losalvador.
Speaker 4: Salvador, Mexico. Okay, what do you like about Donald Trump?
Speaker 3: He's not evasive, it's it's pretty clear. I mean, this is someone that's been at the forefront for a very long time speaking his mind.
Speaker 13: When he was on the government, the economy was better than we have it right now.
Speaker 4: That's the part, the only part that I like.
Speaker 5: On the surface, they seem to like Trump, but as we went deeper, I gave them the tools to express themselves in a more nuanced manner. And when I'm naming the issue, and you're going to raise either one or two or three chilies to signify how spicy the issue.
Speaker 3: Is for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, the economy, wow, damn three chilies.
Speaker 1: That's spices.
Speaker 4: Spies as spicy. Okay, healthcare not as spicy, but still spicy.
Speaker 5: Arming janitors meaning arming giving weapons to janitors to protect the schools, you know, like what if a shooter comes in?
Speaker 1: Okay, No, Chili's on that.
Speaker 4: Now that I knew the issues they cared about.
Speaker 5: It was time to see if there were any Latino celebrity endorsements that might capture their vote. You guys are tough, bad buddy, Come on, bad buddy, ever swear it would get you all right, John Leguismeo, I guess I mean I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well you two then Okay, Now it's time for the moment of truth.
Speaker 5: Let's see if witnessing Donald Trump's rhetoric firsthand makes them want to vote for him more or less.
Speaker 9: On my first day back in the White House, I will terminate every open border's policy of the Biden administration, stop the invasion of our southern border, and begin the largest domestic deportation operation in American history.
Speaker 3: It's an excellent way to fix a very, very severe problem.
Speaker 4: What do you love about deportation?
Speaker 3: You have criminals, They should all be removed.
Speaker 5: Now do you think they should deport American criminals too?
Speaker 3: The poor American criminals to wear.
Speaker 4: What's your least favorite South American country, man, Cuba?
Speaker 13: If he's saying integration of the problem, it's like you have a leak in your house, you gotta turn it off. The water supply. Fix it then ton it on. Maybe that's what he's trying to do. Like, let's closed on the border for a while.
Speaker 5: But who would you call to fiction leak if all the Latinos are gone? Nasty portation didn't seem to turn them off, Let's try something else.
Speaker 7: No control whatsoever. Nobody has any idea where these people are coming from. And we know they come from prisons, we know they come from mental institutions and san as islands, we know they are terrorists. It's poisoning the blood of our country.
Speaker 4: So what do you think of the language that he's using.
Speaker 1: It's poison. That's the last word that we're using.
Speaker 3: That's what it is.
Speaker 5: So you're saying he's a little too hitlerish, Maybe you can soften the language a little bit.
Speaker 4: That a poison the blood.
Speaker 5: Maybe what about spraining the ankle of America, giving America gastro intestinal discomfort? Any worse about if he said ruining the testicles of America. Great, So people don't seem to love the hitler stuff.
Speaker 1: Now what about this clip?
Speaker 7: How about allowing people to come to an open border thirteen.
Speaker 9: Which we're murderers and they are now happily living in the United States.
Speaker 4: You know now a murderer.
Speaker 7: I believe this.
Speaker 9: It's in their gens, and we got a lot of bad gens in our country right now.
Speaker 3: I think, uh, maybe there's better words that can be used. We all misspeak sometimes.
Speaker 4: I mean all about Trump is that he misspeaks from the heart.
Speaker 10: He missed setia hearts because he's got a lot and he maybe has a good heart.
Speaker 4: Well said, Well said.
Speaker 14: This is you know, it's gonna h stereotyping Latinos, the stereotyping immigrants, and the more that you demonize people, it doesn't bring us together.
Speaker 5: So yeah, you sir, you definitely don't have the murder gene. Okay, don't speak Spanish because it's not nice. Which presidential candidate do you think treats Latinos most like caricatures. I'm going to say a name, and if you agree, scream arriba Donald Trump? Okay, So you clearly think that Trump portrays the Latino population in an accurate and nuanced manner.
Speaker 4: No, why didn't just geme about a revote?
Speaker 10: Well, if your questions and the questions that I'm listening to you are about as you see this, what do you think I'd rather not see that.
Speaker 5: So I bet if we don't show these clips of him because they make you not want to vote for him.
Speaker 10: That's exactly the reason why many who will tell you that they don't like him is because of what he says.
Speaker 5: Now I understand the only way Trump is acceptable is if you never.
Speaker 1: See or hear him.
Speaker 5: It seems like some of these people were finally coming around, but there was something that was still bugging me. Do you want to change your answer for any one of the celebrity endorsements?
Speaker 4: Maybe to John lewisoma, you guys never saw a spawn?
Speaker 13: And did you see that his last special?
Speaker 11: It was good?
Speaker 4: What did you like most about his last special?
Speaker 13: The setting? He did it like a school setting?
Speaker 4: Well that was real, clever, real.
Speaker 5: Already two, finally feeling like we made some progress, it was time to come clean.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I want to thank you for being here and for being so honest with me, but I have not been so honestly. My name is not really Ron Kuzmano.
Speaker 3: But no, oh know that did.
Speaker 5: Now that I've shown you all these awful things about Trump, does that change your vote?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 4: Democracy, thank your job.
Speaker 1: Let me come back.
Speaker 3: The legendary Kanie Chung will be joining on me on.
Speaker 15: The shelves and don't go well, hey, welcome back, go there on the show.
Speaker 3: My guest tonight is a trailblazing, award winning television journalist whose new memoir is called Connie. I used to watch her growing up as a kid. It's a huge honor for me to welcome to the stage. Is Connie charm Wow, Wow, thank you so much for coming on the show. Thank you, it's a huge honor to me. You. No, I can't believe you know who I am.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't really.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, I've watched you and I can believe I'm sitting here with you too.
Speaker 3: That's very kind you grow I spent when I was a kid. I grew up in Manchester, New Hampshire, and we would turn on TV and watch you as a kid. So really, yeah, I can't believe that you're from me. Right now, I can tell people.
Speaker 1: Is it real?
Speaker 3: And I read your book because I got so scared of you that I actually I actually read this book for the first time in Daily So history.
Speaker 1: I read the Book of the Guests. And I'm not just saying this is a great book.
Speaker 3: It's very well written and as for me as a American history and television nerd, this is like the perfect book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it goes through.
Speaker 3: All these characters and that you were like in the middle of everything in the eighties and nineties to the point where I think you caused the most of the damage in the world because you seem to be at a you seem to be at the center of all of them.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I didn't do it.
Speaker 3: And not just the events, but like the characters in the book. You know, all these legendary figures, Larry Grossman on route.
Speaker 6: You know Larry Grossman. You mean an NBC was the president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all these figures that we only know about. It's twenty twenty four. These are people like you were.
Speaker 6: In They've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but you've been surprised.
Speaker 3: You guys know who Larry Grossman. They might just say yes, just say yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, say so so.
Speaker 6: And then the line detector tests to determine that was a lot.
Speaker 3: No, But Connie, Connie, these are mostly Americans. They don't learn their history. I'm not American. Therefore, I read this and I guess my point is, like you are around at the peak of network TV around all these titans, Barbara Walters, Dan Rather, Walter, Cronkite, you know, mixed elbows with presidents vice presidents. I guess now that you're retired, how happy are you that you don't have to cover the trash sheet?
Speaker 6: It's uh, I'm actually glad I'm not in television news now, seriously, because it's it's not the same.
Speaker 3: Sure, Like, how can you give us some perspective of how it's kind of different? Because when you started, well you started with typewriters and now in freaking now in freaking AI creating virtual cryptocurrency. Yes, crazy, yeah, all of it.
Speaker 6: Well, we believed back in those days it was the truth, credibility and honesty and all of that, and it seems to have kind of evporated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you cheered too loud many some guy was sharing that. But yeah, I mean is there you know, because I read your book and even even in your time when you were active, there was still misinformation and you are the victim of some fake news so to speak. People would spread rumors about it. So it wasn't like there were no problems, no.
Speaker 6: But it wasn't as rampant as it is right now. In other words, there are a lot of good reporters, there a lot of good investigative reporting, but there's a lot of misinformation too.
Speaker 3: So why do you think it is that, like trust in the media has, you know, just decreased ever since you left news, because.
Speaker 6: It's not it was an era in which news was trustworthy, but I think there was there had been a sort of creeping negativism in which people began to not believe not only government but news reporters. And they didn't trust Congress or the White House for good reason because back in the day when the government was lying to them about Vietnam and they just didn't know, they couldn't feel like they could trust Congress and the rest. And it's gotten worse now, so we're even below Congress's level, which is pretty low.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if the news is worse than Congress.
Speaker 6: You were going to ask me a question in the beginning, did Jesus side not?
Speaker 3: I decided not to because it's too vulgar. I just really, yeah, you came out. You came out. It's like I was talking to my mom. I didn't want to ask the I couldn't.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, you are.
Speaker 3: Well, you the source of truth can't take the truth, like, yeah, I'll go seventy eight.
Speaker 6: How old are you?
Speaker 3: I'm not. I'm like, I'm thirty nine, So no.
Speaker 6: Way, funny you don't look thirty nine.
Speaker 3: How old I look.
Speaker 6: Twenty five?
Speaker 3: That's good Asian? Asian, don't raising? Yeah, but do you want me to ask you that first question? It's so awkward now now that we set it up and everyone wants to know what it is now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you're going to have to do it.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Well if Connie wants to ask a question, Okay, Connie. Uh sorry, mister, I don't want to call it legend. Don't call you legend or go, don't call you go.
Speaker 6: Did you give Korey anything you want to go?
Speaker 3: Uh? Uh mom, Mom? Uh sorry, sorry, just got it. Uh. So you've been retired from journalism now and during your time as a very professional trust movie source. I think it was your opinion from your book that you shouldn't give your personal opinions. You are not here to give personal opinions. You're here to deliver the news. But now that you're retired, you're unleashed. You can give your hard opinions. Right now, let's ask the tough questions, Okay, Mary Kill, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly or Tucker Colson. I'm sorry, mom.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know if you know this, but I actually just thought I was so nervous about the election, I decided to come out in favor of Kamala. So so you can well imagine my answer to your question. Two out of the three.
Speaker 1: Please, for the record, you got it.
Speaker 6: I mean it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I don't got it.
Speaker 3: Of these are terrible. You're not married, I am married. I'm married. Okay, that doesn't answer anything.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 6: It's two out of the three.
Speaker 1: What you gave me three?
Speaker 3: Two kind of evading right now and.
Speaker 6: Not evasive. It's totally on target. Do you get it?
Speaker 3: No, that's why I don't want to ask that dumb ass question. But as some serious questions, yeah, the only one who asked me that. Okay, okay, alright, So do you feel like uh Asian people in America are kind of uniquely suited to kind of ask the tough questions because we're not seen as participating in this ongoing race war between white and black people, and so when we come in it's almost like we can get in there and get the real story. No, okay, no to the Race war or no to the art, no to getting married? Okay, so you okay, uh so you uh in this book you went to warm Beadi's house and a lot of people that were taking cocaine. What are the who else was taking drugs in Hollywood in the seventies. Now you got some really interesting stories here, like, yeah, you talk about Dan Rather being a real dick right in this book. That's not yeah, that's in her book.
Speaker 6: I didn't. You're not quoting Race.
Speaker 1: I'm not quoting you.
Speaker 3: But Dan Rather was a bit of a dick to you. I mean, is that was he a mean dude or.
Speaker 6: No? Not not on the surface. I mean he was very h uh. He was unhappy that I was sitting next to him. He didn't want me there, you know kind of you know why why because he had been doing it by himself for a long time. He replaced Walter Cronkite and then he, uh, he became His ratings started to tank, and so they decided to add me to the program. So I sat in half of Uncle Walter's chair and I was it was like a dream job. But it didn't the ratings weren't moving so much, and he really didn't want me there. It was very much like Barbara Walters when she began co anchoring with here, Let's go, when when she began co anchoring with a man who did more to her there.
Speaker 3: Either, right, And so, how did you navigate the politics of you know, the seventies newsrooms, of the huge, towering figures of media, and you were often only the only normally the only Asian. You're the only woman in the room. A lot of times, think all of you right here, This is the four of you as the only Asian person in this room full of smelly guys. And this is exactly how I felt the Daily Show to me. Yeah, but how did you navigate the politics?
Speaker 6: Well? It was it was kind of hard in many ways because I saw all around me were men, and I kind of just decided I would be a guy too. I would walk like them, talk like them, have their bravado, have moxie, have you know, even use their the party mouth that they use. And I so convinced myself that I was a guy that when I'd walk past the mirror, I'd go because I.
Speaker 1: Was exactly I thought the white man.
Speaker 6: I really was convinced, right, so.
Speaker 3: You would just start swinging, you swear the guys you say, I did.
Speaker 1: You want to say?
Speaker 3: You want to say to anybody on TV? Right now? We got this basic cable No, not really, don't mean to say it for you, rather thank you. So, I mean I could talk to you forever about this. I honestly I did my research because I know how much you value people who do their homework. I do, And I want to ask, how why is it that there's no other Walter Concast that can rise out of this cesspool of American news media right now?
Speaker 6: The whole thing has changed. I mean, television news isn't what it used to be. Digital taken overse so it's it's just not going to happen. Television is a dinosaur. I mean not your.
Speaker 3: No, that's fine, down with that.
Speaker 6: I think people get the news, you know, from all sorts of sources, even I mean the Daily Show. They used to always they.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't they really shouldn't get from this show. I'm trying to get Connie, trying to say, why are you? Why are you watching this for news? But you know, it's kind of disheartening because I was hoping you could give me perspective and say, like, all these all these people who are saying this is the worst ever time for America, they're exaggerating. Used to be we had the same problems in the sixties, And you're saying, no, this is the worst time. And and I don't know if there's a way through.
Speaker 6: I have hope for the news, you know, and that we can swing that penculum right back and it'll be more responsible.
Speaker 3: Well, can you give some tips on how to swing that pendulum back or any ideas if you were in charge of.
Speaker 6: News, Well, I think one, one newspaper at a time, one television station at a time, and I think as long as we do investigative work, we're on the right track. The hard part is filling all those hours on cable.
Speaker 3: And that's where we come in to talk a bunch of shit. So we're doing right now, feeling some hours in between important stuff, just feeling the hours.
Speaker 6: No, but it is it's really hard to it's it's hard to fill that many hours.
Speaker 1: Oh, tell me about it.
Speaker 3: It's very difficult.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you're saying that if we can start with this idea, if we have to fill up all this time, we probably help.
Speaker 6: The news, but but do serious work and don't express opinions on the news. It's just that, I mean, do you really want opinion? No, I mean on the news not no.
Speaker 3: Right, mom said no, say no, plansays no, don't say yeah no no no opinion. Yeah no, I agree. If you need a source that's trustbility, that's not biased, and no, I get it. So Unfortunately that's not where the money is anymore. The money isn't saying than Rather that's.
Speaker 6: Well, then that should sell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this should sell is in the book. And the last thing I just want to say it is like the hope for the future I have is in the last chapter of this book, other than talking about the weed strain that's named after you, yea, which everybody that you should check it out. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: Have you tried.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I don't. I don't smell weed. Yeah, don't, I don't smell weed.
Speaker 6: H If you go, if you go online, you'll see website. Yes, no, it's not my website. It's somebody started it. And I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, we all have no idea who we don't know?
Speaker 3: For tax purblisons, we have no idea who's selling this moment?
Speaker 6: But what it is is I'm easy to grow and low maintenance. Yes, I'm low maintenance.
Speaker 3: Read your book and you did.
Speaker 6: I did, and I don't give the scaries too much. And you can get a two pack pre World for twenty two dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have.
Speaker 6: A I just saw that. But I have to tell you one other thing. You were you were talking about the last chapter I.
Speaker 3: Was about to get to. Okay, go ahead, Okay, I think I'm I understand you guys, right, Meldon, Yeah, what's really call about the future is this idea of that there is a generation of Connie Chan of Connie's in America, Asian American girls who are the children of Asian parents, Asian parents who grew up in your generation, who admired you and named their children Kanye and so it's a whole amazing And she got the meet up with that.
Speaker 6: There are untold numbers of babies that were named after me.
Speaker 3: How does it make you feel all these people stole your name?
Speaker 6: I just flower gastaid and honored. What happened was there was this girl named Connie Wong, and she she cold emailed me and said that she was named after me. I couldn't believe it, she said. When she moved with her parents from communist China to the Midwest, she was only three years old, and her parents said, we need to give you an American name. And she only knew what she saw on television, and she said Connie or Elmo. And so she was she who discovered that all these Connie's were named after me. When I went on this book tour, I met she thinks they're untold hundreds. I don't know how many. But I met six more. And I met a Connie Chung in drag Oh, there you go, and she or he said that he can. It takes him four hours to put his make up on, and I said, dude, I can do mine in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: I can talk to you about this book. It's a great book. Thank you, Thank you so much for all that you do.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for all that you've done, all that you other.
Speaker 3: Bess Haney is available now.
Speaker 1: Hanee Shahn, That's a show Tonight.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 1: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 1: Paramount Podcasts