Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: I'm Carol Masser along with Tim Stenovich. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today. Joining us right now is just Matt and Bloomberg News Deputy team leader for US equities stocks you're watching. A lot of it had to do with those earnings after the closes on.
Speaker 4: The back of Nvidia's report after the bell yesterday, so I wanted to highlight Dell. The ticker symbol is d Ell here, and so looking at that and after hours trading up about four percent. So this is a big move because it is a leading provider of computers and servers for AI and it actually that stock had soared nearly sixty percent through today's close since it's low's in early April, so it had been on a tear after stumbling earlier this year too. So when you're looking at that stock important because it still is off actually about thirty six to thirty seven percent from its most recent high back actually a year ago. It was last May. So if you're looking at this of course, Actually a lot of it has to do is that animalsts. We're anticipating that some of its guidance would potentially come in weak here, but some of those numbers not surprisingly came in better than expected. So it's annual profit outlook toped estimates on that server demand. So that's why you're seeing some of that actually rising there too. And then especially on the back of what we're expecting with the AI story, and then in video as well. Of course, every report when it comes to in videos a blockbuster report, but specifically to Dell core Weave, it's actually a cloud computing company that we've covered very closely when it comes to the most recent IPOs here as well as Elon Musk's XAI. Those are both customers of Dell's hardware for their AI infrastructure build out. So the potential here that this is better than expected actually really helps those customers. And especially when you're thinking about in video with the top four customers, whether it's Amazon, Alphabet as well as Microsoft, so some of these customers tied to AI, and especially when it comes to those providers like Dell, it's still doing better than expected here in the back of that concern about AI spending slowing down.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's Dell. What about Costco?
Speaker 4: So coost not surprisingly the taker symbol on this, so that one day implied move was expected to be actually around nine percent if you're looking at this stock to it's actually flat only up about three tens of a percent if you're looking at this now. And then also its stock is off more than thirty five percent off of its all time high last touch also not too long ago as well. But also if you're looking at this, it's important because the retailer generated earnings per share about four dollars and twenty eight cents. That's above Wall Street analysts expectations. But it also suggests that Costco is growing its business even more here and then it has if you're thinking about Costco relative to some of its competitors, because it does have in some ways it has been a little bit more immune to some economic volatilities because the customers pay a fee to shop. Add it had more than eight hundred stores, so the ski is a little bit more affluent than some of its competitors here. But that actually fared better than expected. So, especially in the wake of when you're thinking about target Oswald's, Procter and Gamble Craft Heeign some of those consumer package good companies, those have been the ones, and it's particularly Walmart, but the consumer package good companies when you're thinking about and Jen partash Is at Bloomberg Intelligence has talked a lot about this, especially over the last six months, when you're thinking about those promotions if you're at the grocery store trying to figure out, you know, buy one, get one fifty percent off. Because of those issues they've been dealing with volumes, especially in the aftermath of coming out of COVID and dealing with those inventories. That's something that you're starting to see still be more of an issue for consumer package good companies, and not as much so when you're thinking about some of those big box retails.
Speaker 3: You know, just looking at some of the right Through and Costco, about a third of their US sales come from goods important from other countries, and so the company has been diversifying its sourcing execs in recent months, noting that they're working to minimize the impact of levies and consumers. You just talked about some of this.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of what I like, what I get at Costco a countrym.
Speaker 3: Another time, mister Kirkland, do you have a Costco membership?
Speaker 1: I do have a Costco membership.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We actually live really close to a Costco. Do you really yes, but here's the Costco near me. It is too crowded to actually step foot into on a weekend.
Speaker 3: Believe they have an online They do, they do.
Speaker 1: The problem is that it's very expensive, Like it still ends up being cheaper than you know when you're buying in bulk, but it's like the prices don't even compare to when you go and get it yourself.
Speaker 3: So they charge you more for the online.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's them specifically. I think it's Instacart or whoever it is. Oh I got up charge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they don't have an online.
Speaker 1: They do, but they partner with Instacart.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, all right, Sorry we digress.
Speaker 1: So we do we do Costco like I'd say, we do it. We have a membership, but we do it every like six months and we do a huge order.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was thinking about Lisa Mateo on surveillance every morning, and if there's a Costco story or she talks about heading into the weekend like it's going to be a two cart again.
Speaker 4: It's right, like really kind of stiffer kids too.
Speaker 1: You gues should go to New Jersey to do. I'm telling you the Brooklyn Costco it is like way too crowded.
Speaker 3: That's what you should probably do. I mean, there's not one near me. Don't look for me to go shop.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, hey, Master Costco, what about a Red Robin gourmet burger? Because shares are surging.
Speaker 4: Now, this is a company's market cap is less than one billion, but wanted to fifty.
Speaker 1: Five million dollar market cap company. It's way less than a billion. It's less than fifty six million.
Speaker 4: Don't we call.
Speaker 3: That a micro cape right?
Speaker 4: Actually, it definitely is a microcap type of stock. I'm pointing it out because after I was trading are our GB's the taker symbol up about fifty six percent in after hours trading here, So there's a big move of course, even though it has a smaller market cap, So those adjusted earnings swung to a profit and revenue did rise as well.
Speaker 3: Isn't up fifty five percent in the after mark?
Speaker 4: That's why I wanted to bring that one up.
Speaker 3: Said, it's a three dollars stock right, So it doesn't dollars.
Speaker 1: This company's in the midst of a turnarout. I mean the company's CEO, David Pace, He's only been there for a month at this point. He said, we're pleased with our strong start to the year, as we delivered increases in both sales and profits during the first quarter. He also said, though nevertheless, we are far from claiming victory. There's still more work to be done as we continue the comeback journey of this beloved brand and capture the significant opportunity in front of us.
Speaker 4: That's right, It's last all time high was touched in August of twenty fifteen. It looks like here looking at that ex straw down function in the terminal. So it's a doubt about almost one hundred percent since that last all time high. So to Carol's points, is stock just trading above three dollars.
Speaker 3: I had their towering onion rings going back a few years, like when my daughter was younger. It was a good place to take like a kid and probably towering onion rings with perhaps a little cocktail, some kind of fun drink off the menu.
Speaker 4: You know, I've never been to one, but now I kind of want to go after Carol Master was just.
Speaker 1: Are you sure you're talking about a red robin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, I know You're like, it's just the woman who had Yeah's cargo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's what I'm wondering.
Speaker 3: I am a diversified kind of gal. I'm just gonna say, you know, sometimes you gotta have a terring onion. I'm or a blumin onion. Have you ever read a bloomin onion?
Speaker 1: I think yeah, I think inege we had a Bloomin onion.
Speaker 3: I'm I've backed off of fried stuff. That's what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Are you still doing French fries?
Speaker 3: And I am? I feel like we'll be in an airport and like Tim is always hungry. She's like, ah see at the green because he's like running for food and he's such a sweet guy. He's like, hey, you want some fries.
Speaker 1: I always get her from buy me fries because I love it to Carol Masser.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on applecar Play an Android atto with the Bloomberg Business app. Mm hmm