Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: On YouTube is something that everybody is aware of, but people don't fully understand like it's a real business as an industry, and especially like a lot of kids, like you know, they only watch YouTube, and you know a lot of times people don't they don't take it serious. They're just like, oh, you're a YouTuber or you know, you're just making selfie videos about stuff. But it's like, now, people is actually out here making millions of dollars and it's a it's a billion dollar industry, and brands are paying millions of dollars for people to advertise their products and promote their products, and people are selling products. So that's why I really wanted to talk about YouTube so much, because it's like, I don't think people fully understand.
Speaker 3: The power of YouTube.
Speaker 2: So just to kind of give some background perspective on YouTube, it's like it's the second biggest search engine online, second to Google, and Google actually owns YouTube, so you know that kind of puts things on. Yeah, so when you think about YouTube, don't just think about it as a place that just has a on your brandom videos. Think about it as an industry. It's a multi billion dollars.
Speaker 4: And that's very important about it is that it always gets younger.
Speaker 5: Like a lot of these platforms don't realize like, yo, how do I get a younger audience base? Well, YouTube will always have a younger audience space because a lot of kids watch YouTube, and as long as there's gonna be kids, watching videos.
Speaker 4: YouTube will always grow.
Speaker 5: So if you're looking for a place to start, start there because they have the they have the audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah and yeah, shout out to my son not see it, shout out their choice Sun Christian shouts to Jamal's.
Speaker 4: Son Chase and Jordan. Shout out Jordan too.
Speaker 2: And they all watch. They all watch YouTube. They don't even watch television. That don't have no favorite shows, man, So that just goes to a.
Speaker 6: Lot of people don't People don't even watch TV anymore. It's just YouTube and like Netflix, people just stream stuff. And that's why, like before when even some of my aunts and uncles right now, like you can't tell them I YouTube full time because they'll be like what why, Like are you crazy? You went throughout the school you're an accountant, than now you do YouTube? Like that sounds madness to them. But like I've made more money on YouTube than I would have made in my accounting career for like the next few years.
Speaker 7: Let me not say a dollar a month.
Speaker 6: You know, some uncles might be watching, but yeah, it's it's one of those industries that like it's only gonna grow because people don't watch the television anymore. They're not sitting down and watching commercials between your favorite show. Before you used to sit down watch Fresh Prince of bel Air, there's gonna be three commercials, and you're gonna sit there and watch all three.
Speaker 7: They don't do that anymore.
Speaker 6: They're on social media, they're on YouTube, they're on Netflix. So if you can't pay to advertise with the big the big guys, you're gonna go to influencers, and that's more influential. You're gonna go to the YouTube channels where they already have an audience that's cultivated and you kind of can you can gauge their target your target audience through their audience, through the influencer's audience. So it makes more sense to go through a YouTube or an instagrammer than inn to put an ad on the television where you don't know who's going to be watching it.
Speaker 5: When you got that first seventy eight dollars, you saw like, wait, they actually are giving me money. I mean, did you come to a realization of how you actually getting paid or was there a process of you having to do like some research, like wait, where's this money coming from?
Speaker 6: I knew those Google adsens, but at the time I just I was doing so many other things that I kind of didn't really care. I was like, Okay, I got seventy eight dollars, that's cool. That's probably how YouTube works, like access revenue.
Speaker 7: I brought a video, I got paid. Cool. I keep it moving.
Speaker 6: But then it was when I realized that, okay, it had to do with my CPM, and it had to do with where I placed the ads and how many ads I played. That's when it like a light bulb went off. I'm like, okay, so I can make money on access revenue and get money from brands and then put my little links in the bottom, get my affiliate links going.
Speaker 7: So that's when it was a process.
Speaker 6: Honestly, it wasn't like things just clicked and I was like, ooh, seventy dollars.
Speaker 7: How do I turn this into seven hundred and eighty. I was like, okay, like seventy eight dollars. This cool. But I wasn't thinking too much into it.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of verbs there.
Speaker 5: So CPM is that's how much you're gonna get paid for every thousand views.
Speaker 4: So we talked about that a lot.
Speaker 5: When we talk about the audios, it's how many uh, how many how much you're gonna get paid for a thousand listens YouTube obviously, how much you're gonna get paid for per thousand views in a confluctuate, which is right, some that we have to.
Speaker 7: Learn, Well, the cost per million.
Speaker 6: I hear a lot of people say that because it kind of sounds it makes sense that the CPM, the cost per million, is actually not the cost per a thousand views. It's the cost per one thousand impressions.
Speaker 7: On your video.
Speaker 6: So a lot of people think that though it's just a thousand, your cost per thousand views, but it's the impression, so matters how many ads you have there. And the CPM is determined by basically it's a good indicator to find out how much brands are willing to pay to put their ads in front of your video. So the CPM is determined by, like I don't know if you guys want.
Speaker 2: To get into this now, we're about to go into it right now. Actually that's what we do it our Alesia. So this actually is perfect because you know the thing. With a shout out to Max Maxwell, I remember he was saying, like you know, when he hit like fifteen thousand a month on YouTube and he was like, how he looks at that as that's like he does real estate. So he was like he you know, he was like, you know, fifteen thousand a month, that's five investment properties. That's how he's looking at it. It's five investment properties. All you gotta do is all you gotta do is put out content. Though you don't have to change the boyler, you don't have to cut a new grass. So it's like YouTube. We couldn't go we couldn't do this podcast without having an episode about YouTube because it's like one of these situations where it's it's like a joke until it's not funny anymore. Because it's like, I remember a doctor I was watching. He went to like medical school and all that, and his last year in medical school was last year as a resident. He quit to become a full time YouTuber and everybody was saying, like, you went through all of this medical training all that, you're going to quit to do YouTube and he's like, yeah, that's what that's what we're gonna do. And he's making like a half a million dollars on YouTube. So I think it's important for people to educate. So all right, let's break this down. Let's let's let's start from the very very beginning, since you was already on the CPM. So CPM is how you get paid, right, So all right, Yeah, can you explain that in detail as far as CPM, because those the good thing with YouTube is that they put ads in your video. It's not like you know what, the podcast. It's a little different on the audio side. So for us, we have we have two ways how we put our content, audio and visual. The audio is through like you know, Anchor and that gets shipped to Spotify and Apple and all of the audio outlets, and Anchor kind of provides ads for us. But we always we have to try to get outside ad revenue as well. Where YouTube we can get outside ads, but YouTube is always going to be ads there because they provide ads. Now, it's different what kind of content you put out because it's different CPM. But that's more we'll go into that later. So yeah, so, and it's a CPM. So can you talk about CPM and kind of explain that to the people in layman terms?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So your CPM, which stands for your cost per millie, is the cost for every one thousand impressions for every ad that's placed on or around your video. So you'll see if the video's shorter than ten minutes, it'll only have one ad at the beginning, maybe an ad at the ending. But when a video is longer than ten minutes, then you're able to play, you're able to place multiple ads throughout the video. So for those long skippable ads, as long as the viewer watches it for thirty seconds or more, that's an impression. Or those ads that you can't skip through, that's an impression. Those ads on the side of the YouTube video, if it's on there, that's an impression. The banners that show up at the bottom, if someone watches that, that's.
Speaker 7: An impression as well.
Speaker 6: So for every one thousand impressions you get on your video, that'll you that's your cost per million. That's how much you get caught. That's how much you get paid for it. The thing about the cost pamelion is that it's not determined by you, though it's determined by you too, So it's basically how much ad payers or ad creators are willing to pay to put their ads in front of your video, in front of your audience, And it's basically an indicator to see how valuable marketers take your content basically, like how valuable they perceive your content to be to help them with the business development and their business goals.
Speaker 2: Okay, so and yeah, and that's interesting because it's like what we found out that depending on what type of content you put out that determines your CPM. So like US's absolutely channel, our CPMs are a lot higher because it's clean content, like you know, I mean, it's clean business content, so we're not cursing anything like that with like if it's if it's if it's a lot of cursing, they can have potentially way more subscriber's, way more views, but their CPMs might be like three dollars. So to give you an example, our CPMs usually rings from what's the CPM price.
Speaker 5: Plus Our average right now is probably like thirty five, but we had some that go up to like seventy.
Speaker 4: We've had some that are one hundred and twelve.
Speaker 5: So it really, like you said, just depends on the type of content and how clean it is and how many people are watching.
Speaker 2: And if it's so if it's dirty content, I don't want to say dirty, but if it's like cursing and stuff, like that, Hey, they could demonetize it and not have any anything on it at all.
Speaker 4: So people gotta realize that.
Speaker 5: So you got when you really get into this YouTube thing, you got to really like dive in and do YouTube studio.
Speaker 4: I would recommend that highly and study the analytics.
Speaker 5: So like a lot of times, if you'll see that that money sign is yellow, that means that, yo, you're not monetizing the way. There's something in your content that is causing it to not get the adspace that it's supposed to. And another thing is like a lot of times people don't realize that they could. They don't turn on their ads. So like there's you can put on start, you can put on in the middle, you can put on at the end. You can actually place your ass which you like. So a lot of people don't realize that. And it's a gem because it's like, Yo, the more ads you have that there's more revenue. But there is something that we want to we kind of skipped, and that is like when you can start monetizing, right, Like there's a certain amount of users you have to have and a certain amount of.
Speaker 4: Views you have to have, right, is it like a thousand for the users.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a thousand subscribers and four thousand watch hours.
Speaker 7: They've changed it now. It wasn't like that just a couple of years ago, but they've changed it.
Speaker 6: And now you need a thousand subscribers four thousand watch hours before you can even start monetizing your platform.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so now you're sorry, so now, and that's important too. But the ten minute thing. Shout out to Mike, he actually put us onto that he watched the video and on YouTube.
Speaker 3: And then shofold them that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the key with the clips, like even a lot of the micro clips that we put out from our episodes, they're always if you notice, they're always longer than ten minutes or like at ten minutes, because then you could put multiple ads in if there's anything lower than ten minutes, and you can only put one added. So it makes a big difference if you have three ads in the video as having one add in a video.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And also to touch upon what determines a CPM, it's not necessarily only when the content is clean, but that definitely is a big indicator. Like if you're swearing, cussing, you're talking about some vulgar stuff, that's probably going to get demonetized, so it's not even an option of having a low CPM. But there are certain niches that have higher CPMs than others. So you guys have a high CPM because of the topics.
Speaker 7: That you talk about. So some of those topics are.
Speaker 6: Like real estate, luxury things, so like luxury, real estate, luxury cards is.
Speaker 7: A big one as well.
Speaker 6: Gaming is big as well, but it depends like what niche and in gaming, I'm not a gamer, so I wouldn't be.
Speaker 7: Able to like indicate too deep.
Speaker 6: But finances business credit just basically oh, Amazon SBA, that's another one. So it depends on how much the.
Speaker 7: The advertisers to pay.
Speaker 6: They're not willing to pay to put their videos in front of like pranks and like couple channels. So when you're smaller, you're not going to see a big CPM for that, But then once you become once.
Speaker 2: You start what about makeup tutorial because that's very big for women, Yeah, what about makeup?
Speaker 6: So the CPM on that isn't necessarily high until you start ranking. So like for prank channels, family channels, makeup channels, because it's it's a kind of saturated, uh industry, I guess, but it's very popular. So once you start ranking and you have a very loyal customer not customer based audience, then the marketers are like, okay, I would pay more to put my video more, put my ads in front of their videos and stuff. So it depends on how large your channel is. When you're first starting out and it's a beauty channel channel, uh, prank channel, you're not really going to see large CPMs because there are so many people doing that and advertisers aren't necessarily willing to pay for content like that in the beginning when you're just starting out.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so now let's go to the actual content so that I guess that's the most important thing, right, So, like you your person, so our content is financial. I guess that's the hardest thing. Like people want to start, you want to become a YouTuber. You're on your journey to become a YouTuber, right, the first thing is like, what do you want to talk about?
Speaker 3: So we talk about.
Speaker 2: Financial stuff because we have financial podcasts, so that's easy.
Speaker 3: How did you find your niche to talk about?
Speaker 2: And how do you what do you recommend for people as far as finding their nache as far as the content that they're putting out.
Speaker 6: So I would say the easiest thing is to do something that you feel comfortable with, something that you're confident in as well, because if you're not confident in what you're talking about, it's going to show. It's going to come off on camera. People are going to be able to detect that. So make sure whatever topic you decide to go into your comfort and confident about that topic. But then also your audience is going to let you know what they want to see more of. So before you even start your channel, I would say, write out a whole list of titles of things you want to talk about pertaining to that. Okay, you want to start a beauty channel, that's cool. Write out fifty videos that you can do that's relating to beauty that people want to see. If you can't come up with fifty, it's probably a topic that you're not that interested in and you're not that confident, then you should probably try and find something else that you are actually interested in.
Speaker 5: So I'm not putting out a prank video, I'm not putting out vacations with the kids, I'm not putting out how to cut here.
Speaker 4: It's just it's they'll be all over the place. I do those things, but it just be all over the.
Speaker 7: Place, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, you want to choose a topic and then try to find videos that surround that have to do with that topic, and don't make it too wide of arrange. Like, especially in the very beginning, nobody knows who you are, and they don't want to see every single component of your life because unfortunately, like not that relevant to them. So they it's nice that you have kids, it's nice that you, you know, like to shape up your beard and stuff. But like someone who comes up your channel and they want to see, uh, you hanging out with your kids. They're probably a dad with kids too, and they relate to that, but they might not have the same you know, grooming procedures that you do. They don't want to see the video the next video to be you grooming yourself, like it's not relevant to them. So you kind of have to keep a consistent theme because it confuses your audience.
Speaker 7: It confuses your subscriber.
Speaker 6: They come to your channel, they see one video that's pertaining to your family life and your kids, then they go look for another video that has to do with that and there's nothing else, or maybe there's only one and this is the one that they just watched. They're like, okay, this is what this was nice, this was cool. He's a nice guy, and they keep it moving. But you have to have consistency in all of your videos.
Speaker 2: All right, there you have it. That's the that's the basics. On the next step, we're going to go into how to really pop off.
Speaker 3: And become viral. You got to become vibry.
Speaker 2: Sure, and you know, just some more hacks and useful. It's about you know, getting popping online. So yeah, we're going to that next all right. So yeah, and this is once again I want to reiterate why YouTube is so important because for business owners as well, not just for people that want to become full time YouTubers. Like we talked about social media a lot, like as far as like it's a great way to push your brand, but for entrepreneurs, and there's a lot of entrepreneurs is in on your leasia, YouTube is extremely important to push your brand and you know, get the brand awareness out there. So even if you don't plan on being a full time YouTuber, you can still use YouTube.
Speaker 3: It's just like any other social network.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of millions and hundreds of millions of people on YouTube, so to not be on YouTube as a business owner, it's kind of like not being on Instagram.
Speaker 5: And something we learned, like we didn't start with the YouTube channel, like we didn't started to Abel. Everybody knows that the podcast itself started in January, but we learned, like, yo, we have to grow the audience. It's a great way. This is a platform. We knew that all our kids watch it. We knew we have to be on it. So we made a concerted effort to.
Speaker 2: Say, look, this is what yeah, and it's helped out a lot, Like if we just did the audio, we would be nowhere near where we are now because we don't have the same reach that we would have if we do YouTube. And it's a lot of other things that we do exclusively for YouTube that we'll talk about. But all right, so as far as getting on YouTube, because it's like anything, right, like same thing with social media your Instagram when you start with zero and it's like how do I grow it to two hundred and fifty thousand subscribers? So yeah, viral, try to drake viral shout out to Drake Favrio Foreign and Sosa Geek.
Speaker 4: I think that's his name. That's his song.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite song like that.
Speaker 2: So your first video, you have no subscribers and you have thirty two thousand views on that video in a month.
Speaker 3: That's a lot. That's a lot of us. How how did you do that? How'd you do that?
Speaker 6: So YouTube has little pockets and little niches, little communities.
Speaker 7: So what I.
Speaker 6: Did was I found videos that look like my type of content.
Speaker 7: I would search. So my first video was a Storytime.
Speaker 6: What I did was I searched Storytime and then I filtered the results by upload date, and that puts the newest uploads at the top. So then I searched for videos that kind of looks like they were in my neighborhood on YouTube, my community on YouTube, and then I would comment on their videos like I could totally related da da. I made a video similar to that. It wasn't very spammy, like hey check me out, I just started a channel, but it was like it was a comment letting people know that like I did also upload something similar. So from that, what that does is it puts your comment there and everyone does it where they're watching a video, they kind of scroll to see what the comments say, and so if your comment is there and you're one of the only comments there, even if that video is only going to get a thousand views, there's a good chance that a portion of those views are going to see your comment, and from those views to your comment, they're going to see your channel and maybe they're gonna either subscribe or engage with your content somehow. So that was one thing that I did to grow my first video and how it got so many views.
Speaker 7: I was commenting a lot.
Speaker 6: And then now as I've grown, I don't really get an opportunity to watch people's videos and make relevant comments as much. But I'll watch my videos on incognito and see what shows up that's similar to my channel and how I can put my spin on it and do it better because when I watch it on incognito, there's no bias there.
Speaker 7: There's no other channel history.
Speaker 3: Can you explain that incognito.
Speaker 4: Ernest, what's up?
Speaker 5: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the seats of digital tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem born the safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank. But keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday? How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollar or sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So incognito is just browsing in private mode. So on Google Chrome it's called incognito and in Safari it's called Private Browser. But what that does is it doesn't warp the search information, so there's no bias. When you watch a video and you're signed into your profile, YouTube is recommending videos for you based off of everything that you've ever watched on your profile. That's why you'll watch like one cleaning video, you'll go back to your homepage and there's like four other cleaning videos recommended to you. And over time, it builds up a profile for you, in a portfolio for you, and it changes your recommendations based off of stuff that you've already searched and stuff that you've already watched. So when I watch my videos on incognito, what that does is it allows me to see what YouTube associates my channel with, and what kind of content YouTube kind of places my videos, and what kind of neighborhood on YouTube my videos are in.
Speaker 7: Then that kind of gives.
Speaker 6: Me more of an idea of the type of people who watch my video and what they're interested in more along with, of course my analytics. I do watch my analytics and see what my audience likes. More of I listen to the comments, but that's one way that I get to see what YouTube what the YouTube algorithm associates my channel with.
Speaker 7: So from there I'll get an idea.
Speaker 6: I'll put my spin on it, and I flip on it, and I'll do it myself and then it usually does good when I when I choose a video like that.
Speaker 3: Okay algorithm, can you talk about that YouTube algorithm?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the YouTube algorithm, because it's a business, right YouTube they're just interested mainly in like watch time and dollars, so they tend to push videos that have high CPMs, so videos that get them more money, and then high watch times as well and high engagement because what YouTube wants ultimately is watch time, and they want their viewers to stay on their channel or on their platform, because if you're not on YouTube, you're on something else. You're on Hulu, Netflix, maybe Instagram, you're like on another platform.
Speaker 7: So what they want is watch time and engage.
Speaker 6: So if you upload a video and in the first few minutes or first few hours, I should say it's doing well, the algorithm is most likely going to push you some more. So that's kind of like a tit behind your algorithm. Like in the first hour, you should probably be commenting back to comment and stuff like that and trying to boost up that engagement within the first hour.
Speaker 4: Can we talk about your viral video.
Speaker 5: You know, one of the one of the things you said is like not to chase trends, but you kind of did with the dad voiceover. He thought about the benefit of a chasing that trend and some of the things that didn't work that you learned from that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, so that video.
Speaker 6: At the time, it was like a makeup trend that was going around and a lot of people were doing like my boyfriend does my makeup my voiceover and my dad. I thought it would be so funny if my dad did my voiceover because he's always like tracking jokes on me.
Speaker 7: He's always making fun of me. So he did it.
Speaker 6: It was funny, It was cool, and the video did really well. It was like on different social media platforms. I don't have a Twitter, so it was like all over Twitter, all over Facebook.
Speaker 7: I didn't have Facebook either.
Speaker 6: And it did go viral and it got a lot of views. It did make a lot of money because I ended up selling it to There was a media company that pitches to The Ellen Show and they bought that video off of me. They bought the rights for that video off of me. So I don't own that video anymore, but I still get the absence revenue from that video. But I would say that the game there was the money behind it, and it was a funny like joke like me and.
Speaker 7: My dad still left about that video to this day.
Speaker 6: But what I learned is that when you do videos just because it's trendy, but it has nothing to do with what your channel is about, it doesn't necessarily grow your channel or your subscribers. So that video I got like two point two thousand subscribers, I believe says.
Speaker 7: My analytics, but it has like eight hundred.
Speaker 6: Thousand views, so that's not a very good conversion like views versus people who subscribe. So it ultimately didn't grow my channel. And I learned that if you're gonna hop on a trend, it needs to pertain to what your channels about. Because I was not a makeup channel. My dad wasn't on my channel. My channel wasn't like a comedy channel either, so it wasn't great for the overall growth of my channel, but it was a learning experience.
Speaker 5: I would say that when I heard I saw it, I'm like, yo, I've never thought about that when people actually buy your content from me, that experience, Like, that was the first time you've done it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was my first time I had done it.
Speaker 6: It was just I was getting a lot of you know those I think they're like social media sites where they just have a bunch of viral videos and you'll see a viral video over and over, but it'll have different logos.
Speaker 7: In the corner.
Speaker 6: So at the time, I was getting a lot of questions from different media sources asking if they can post it on their Facebook group. They're like, oh, we have like six million followers on our Facebook.
Speaker 7: We're gonna post it. We'll credit you, da da da da.
Speaker 6: And I was like, yeah, sure, just put my link in the description, go for it. But then someone had asked me like, have you sold it already?
Speaker 7: And I was like, sold it to who? That didn't make no sense.
Speaker 6: And then I got another inquiry around the same time that the first one came in and was like, oh, well, we're willing to buy it.
Speaker 7: So then I went back to the first person.
Speaker 6: I was like, no, I haven't told it yet, but you know I have some inquiries, I said some like there was more than one. I was like, yeah, we have some inquiries, so I haven't sold it yet. So they came with their proposal, and then next to the other person like, oh, another media company is willing to buy for this much. So then the second one ended up having a better, better price, and I just sold this numb But the funny thing was that that all of that happened like a year and a half, maybe two years after I had already posted that video.
Speaker 7: So it was weird because the.
Speaker 6: Traffic could already died down on that video, Like I had already made my YouTube acts.
Speaker 7: And money on that video, and it was like dying down.
Speaker 6: So I guess some other media outlet picked it up and then it went viral, and like it was kind of a different community.
Speaker 7: Really, it wasn't like the audience.
Speaker 2: And another EYL alumni he had a post on Instagram a few days ago and he was like a lot of viral videos don't go viral for like two to three years.
Speaker 3: Or even five years after that actually coming out with the social media, so you never know.
Speaker 2: It's like, don't give up on content because you might think, God, it's just flopped even making facts. We had him on Shouting Me he fasted and he had a video that went to viral on Instagram when he was rapping for Flex about financial literacy, and he was like, when he first put it out, it didn't really get traction, and then out of blue, like earlier this year, it just started blowing up on like a lot of black financial literacy pages. Just so you never know. But I want to ask you about that video because you put that on YouTube and I saw it and did you showed like the clip of it of the analytics, so on the clip, I actually saw the accent accent revenue that you made was like sixty eight thousand dollars from that.
Speaker 3: It's on it, It's on your page.
Speaker 7: So he was like, I'm not exposing that's kind of what we do.
Speaker 3: So that is that something like that?
Speaker 2: Is that like something like all right, so you made sixty eight thousand on a video that that had like how many viewers of the had nine hundred thousand, eight hundred. Yeah, it was like, so that's like typical for like a million. Obviously it depends on CPM and all of that, but like, what was the CPM for that video?
Speaker 6: Ooh, I'm not sure what the CPM was on that video actually, but that was over the lifetime, so that was when I posted it. I think was that twenty seventeen. I think I posted that or maybe twenty eighteen, but it was over the lifetime, so from the moment I posted it to the current day that I screenshoted it, so over time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's how much it made. I think it was.
Speaker 6: Because of the timing too, because I posted it closer to the holidays, and when it did go viral, it was during the holidays when adsence revenue is the highest. But yeah, once it starts gaining a lot of traction and it starts going higher, I noticed that the CPM starts jumping higher and higher, and so that's why I ended up doing so well.
Speaker 7: But I've noticed.
Speaker 6: That it doesn't necessarily matter what your subscriber count is, or even what your channel sizes or anything like that, because some people they'll post a video on how much they made on YouTube. And I appreciate the transparency. I respect it honestly, because someone had posted how much she makes and I think she has like one point four million subscribers, and she had said that she makes like, on average, about four thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 7: I was like, this don't make sense, because when that video went.
Speaker 6: Viral and I was making a lot of money off of it, I wasn't even at twenty thousand. I don't think, like my channel was pretty small, so it doesn't necessarily matter what your subscribe account is. All of that's predetermined by YouTube. And I try to tell people when they're thinking about making that transition from being an employee to being your own boss full time, and like you're using money from YouTube to try and like forecast your budget.
Speaker 7: I always tell.
Speaker 6: People like, you don't really have control over the CPM because it's kind of like you're putting out a product. You don't know how many people are going to buy it, and you don't know what you're going to sell.
Speaker 7: It for either.
Speaker 6: We're just putting out a product and whatever money you get, you get, and it's not like you can go back to YouTube and and go tell them like, actually, you guys to me that I only had five thousand impressions on the ads this month. But I went and asked my viewers and they told me, actually they all watched it. Like, you can't go back and dispute it with YouTube if they tell you that's how much you're making, that's how much you're making. So I wouldn't know why it needs so high, but it did, and I appreciated it.
Speaker 7: I took it.
Speaker 6: But I always take AdSense revenue as a bonus. So I don't rely on AdSense revenue because that just puts you in a very vulnerable place with your finances.
Speaker 7: And I don't know about anybody else, but I don't.
Speaker 6: Like being vulnerable with my thiens as with my finances. I like to be very calculated and very like precise. So yeah, it's it's kind of a toss up. You don't know why it made so much and what the reason.
Speaker 4: Is spoken like a true accountant.
Speaker 5: My next thing is the points of consistency, right, because after you went viral, it's not like, hey, I'm going to live with this one video for the rest of my life. You started to put it out more content that was more themed. Do you want to talk about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah? So after that first video.
Speaker 6: Actually it was still a side hustle for me because my main priority was always finishing with UNI and like my nine to five career, so it was still a side hustle. I think after that video, I still was putting out I wasn't very calculated with my videos. It wasn't until recently, like once I graduated from UNI and I was paying more attention to my videos, that I was more calculated and I was more consistent.
Speaker 7: With the theme.
Speaker 6: But also like as time goes on, I think when I first started, I was like twenty one ish, so like my interest at twenty one is.
Speaker 7: Different from my interests now.
Speaker 6: So as time went on, I just started making videos that made more sense to me and what I was more interested in more confident in. So once I started making more self improvement videos, personal finances, personal development, entrepreneur type videos, that's when I really started to understand the importance of having like a theme throughout videos. And that's why I always try to tell people like if I had known now what I knew back then, I would have definitely themed down niche down on my content, and I wouldn't have been creating content from like all over the place. It would have been some sort of consistent theme throughout. So now when I'm creating content, it's mainly it has to do with money and some sort of personal development just overall becoming a better version of you. So that's the consistent theme that's throughout all my videos that I try to portray in every single videos, it's about something personal development related.
Speaker 3: So if you if you.
Speaker 2: If you take the ads off of video yourself or whatever reason, Like let's say you don't want ads on one video, that's going to hurt the chances of you YouTube pushing it, probably because they don't get paid either, or.
Speaker 6: I would say that they don't really have an incentive to push it. They might, but they don't really have an incentive too, So you could take it off if you wanted to.
Speaker 7: But also like why would you want to do that?
Speaker 2: Not, because sometimes you might put a video out in the ads that are on the video might be competition.
Speaker 3: For that video. So so yeah.
Speaker 2: I noticed that with YouTube like something, they'll run ads in a video that is like especially like if you're trying to sell something or if you have a product or something and it's like now you got you're actually running an ad for somebody.
Speaker 3: Else that's doing the same exact thing that you talks about in the video.
Speaker 4: Right, unbeknown to you, right, but to the viewer, that's going to happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, Yeah, I mean it's possible that that could happen, but mainly people like they buy from people, so if they're watching their video, they're most likely going to buy from you anyways.
Speaker 7: But yeah, you could take the video the ads off if.
Speaker 6: You wanted to, and then your own, like you're subscribers watching and if it picks up, it picks up. But I find that they have more an incentive YouTube as a business to push videos that are going to make them more money and also videos that have longer watch times that keep people on their platform because at the end of the day, like the CPN is split, like the amount of money you get is after YouTube guess they're cut. So if you're making more money, that means they're making more money.
Speaker 3: Okay, So.
Speaker 2: All right, as far as like the revenue, and I want to I'm glad you said that you don't rely on that because there's more ways to make money off YouTube, and just add that's just like the first layer. But YouTube is it's just like any other thing, it's a platform where you reach a bunch of people. So through that you can do brand partnerships, you can promote your own products, you can do a variety of different things. So, how are some other revenue things that like you personally utilize the U see other YouTubers utilized outside of just regular ads that YouTube provides.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I definitely make sure that I have enough revenue and income coming in from other places because, like I said, it's a toss up. And although I can depend on the money coming in and like it's pretty consistent, there's a theme throughout, you can't rely on it because at any moment, YouTube can come back tomorrow and say like, hey, everyone under a million, y'all don't get paid no more, or until you reach a million subscribers figure it out. They probably won't because that's a little wild on their end, but they have the option to do that. So I make sure that I'm making money from other places. For me, I have my affiliate links that I put in the description bar. I have my brand sponsorships, which is when a brand reaches out to you and asks you to promote their product or their brand for a fee and then I also use YouTube to drive traffic to my two other online businesses, which is my hair extension company and my.
Speaker 7: Business society company.
Speaker 5: You know, do you said something just now as far as the description, like you put the links in the description.
Speaker 4: I think people overlook that and don't really understand the importance of the description.
Speaker 5: I know you have a little like a tip that you said, like you don't put a link within the first three lines something like that.
Speaker 4: Can you go into detail about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So once again, because it's YouTube splatform and not here, they have the discretions push videos that to not push videos that are sending traffic to other external sites.
Speaker 7: So when your first three.
Speaker 6: Lines above the fold have a link to an external website, they're less inclined to push the video.
Speaker 7: This is what I was told from like a YouTube insider.
Speaker 6: I don't know how true that is to this day or if YouTube has changed that, because I do have like two videos that have done pretty well and they have a link on the top the top fold. But I was told this from an insider, so I try to avoid it if I can. It doesn't really make a difference for me to put the links just a little bit lower, So I tend to do that so that it doesn't kind of like throw the algorithm off or whatnot.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's something that people don't fully understand so many different things with YouTube. It's like it says you can just have like a three hour situation about that. But I want to ask you before we go to the next day.
Speaker 4: Blog.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are doing blogs, and even allegians and people say that we should blog and things of that nature, like a video blog, like just a day in the life. So how do you do you think it's a good idea for like people that have like if they're putting out consistent content, because some people say, like the blog allows you to people to see like the personal side of you and touch different things and it's like a young own reality show kind of.
Speaker 3: So what's your thoughts on blogs?
Speaker 6: So I think blogs are a good idea if you're trying to be a blogger or if you've already established an audience, because ultimately this generation we like solution based content.
Speaker 7: That's what everybody's.
Speaker 6: After right now, you're after me everybody Like when you watch a video, you're trying to gauge something from it, right, So if you're making content that is even like family bloggers, you know, when people watch that, they feel like they're a part of the family. That's the value that you're getting from it. For people who do hair tutorials, that's the value. You're teaching people how to do their hair. Make up tutorials, you're teaching them how to do makeup. But like, you don't have to be teaching anything if you're providing some sort of value. If you are a you do comedy skits, that's the value that you provide there. Your people are coming to your videos for comedic relief. And if you're blogging, you're trying to make people feel a sense of belonging and like they're a part of whatever it is that you've got going on. So like with couple channels or even family channels, you might watch an episode and you're.
Speaker 7: Like, oh, but what was this, Like what was the reason? But to somebody else, they're very.
Speaker 6: Committed, and those channels tend to have very loyal audiences too, because they're invested in that relationship, they're invested in that family, and they feel like they're a part of the family, a couple of friend to the couple. So if you're blogging and you already have an audience, it kind of makes your audience feel like they're a part of what you're doing already, Like they watch your podcast, they see you guys do all these cool things. You guys are pretty stan up guys, so they want to know what is the behind the scenes and what does that look like. And that's the value that you provide there because you already kind of built up your audience.
Speaker 7: But when you're just coming.
Speaker 6: Straight up up the bat and no one really knows who you are. If you're going to be a blogger, stick to that because then people are going to be invested in you and your life and you're a lifestyle blogger.
Speaker 7: But if you're going to be.
Speaker 6: Doing like couple, praying, couple, challenge, couple, this, couple, that, couple, cup couple, and then all of a sudden you're doing vlogs on your own and you're like, hey, guys, so I'm out with the boys, yes, writaynight. People are gonna be like, I didn't sign up for this. I don't care about what you're doing with the boys, Like where's.
Speaker 7: Your girl at?
Speaker 6: That's what we're trying to watch Because they feel like they're a part of the couple. So if you're trying to be a lifestyle blogger, just stay consistent and stick to that. But if you've already built up an audience and you're trying to do blogging, it's more so behind the scene, and that's the value that people are getting from that. They want to see, like what is what do you guys do behind this big empire that you built?
Speaker 4: Oh l story?
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 8: Hey, I'm Tatiana Manning. I support our Voice of a Customer team at Pgenie. If you're a small business customer, we're here to support you. That's why I want to tell you about our new podcast, Real Talk with PGENI. We know small businesses are dealing with rising costs and looking for ways to boost their bottom line. On our show, you'll hear from our customer experts with our small business Engagement team, who will show you effective ways to improve your operations, find important resources, and most of all, save money.
Speaker 9: I ride the RAND analysis for the Emergency Food Bank and based on their usage history, by just making a simple rate change at no costs, it was a twenty five hundred dollars annual savings.
Speaker 8: So listen to real talk with Pgenie and find more resources for your business by visiting pge dot com for Slash real Talk