Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb. My co host Joe was out on holiday leave at the time of this recording, so I turned to former Weird House guest host and former producer on the show, Seth Nicholas Johnson of the podcast Rusty Needles Record Club. Seth. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the movie and the movie selection here, what have you been up to on Rusty Needles Record Club.
Speaker 3: Well, I believe just yesterday we recorded our Best Albums of twenty twenty three list, which is always fun. Not only do I enjoy making that list every year, but I also enjoy hearing everyone else's lists, like my co host Scott's. When he was making his list, I gotta say, despite the absolutely absurd amount of music that I consume every year, all of my spare money goes into listening to music and going to concerts and all that stuff, I still hadn't heard probably two thirds of his top ten list, which is amazing to me because we're close friends with very similar taste in music, and yet there's just so much wonderful music in the world that I love this time of year, the Decembers and Januaries, and you get to catch up on everyone's Favorites of the Year list. You're pretty much guaranteed gold from everyone. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I guess when you fill your life with music, there are so many different corners of your life. You have different musical tastes occupying, and yet not all of them are going to come up in conversation, even with close collaborators or friends. You know, there's gonna be some hidden gems in there as.
Speaker 3: Well, exactly. So, Yeah, it's a great time for music, and yeah it's a fun show. If there are any music fans in the audience.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, the movie for this week is a nineteen fifty nine Roger Korman directed and of course produced, beaten in carror comedy or you know, I guess, a black comedy if you will, titled A Bucket of Blood starring Dick Miller. This was your pick, Seth. This was not one that was really on my radar. How do you zero in on this one? What's your history with the film?
Speaker 3: Well, basically, I have a real love for what's known as gray market DVDs. They're not quite black market DVDs. They are legal, but just barely. You know, those kind the kinds of things you find in a store or online called like drive in Cult Classics thirty two movie collection, or you know, the Classic Sci Fi Ultimate Collection, Volume two. So if it was Ultimate, I'm not sure why there's a volume two, but hey, then Tales of Terror two hundred classic horror movies. Like I buy these collections often ultimately just because I'm a big fan of creativity overcraft. And when I'm watching let's call it a typical Hollywood film, it usually follows the same beats and has the same structure, and it's just not very interesting to me, just because you can predict where everything's gonna go, and it's whatever. It's boring. So by just taking a step outside of that blueprint for filmmaking, you end up in some weird corners. And even if it's a bad movie, as long as it's interesting, that's kind of enough for me. So by going down the B movie routes, that's at least my reasoning for why I love B movies and old movies and bad movies is that you can't really predict where it's going, which makes them far more interesting than the typical Hollywood film these days. And uh yeah, yeah, so that's why I went down that route. And then in one of these collections, I actually dug through my DVDs and I found the exact disc where I discovered this. This was called Horror Classics, and then it has the title here, four movies over four hours.
Speaker 2: Well, that's reasonably cut down because I was thinking one of the things about these, especially DVD releases, and they're still putting them out, and some of them are, you know, or very nice. Some of them are higher budget affairs. But yeah, sometimes it's like four movies, and to your point, other times it's like fifty movies. Yes, and you can sort of do the algebra in your head. It's like, okay, the quality of those four films is now spread out over like fifty titles. Here're going to be a number of neglected films and forgotten films in this lot.
Speaker 3: Well, for example, here's what's on this disc which I was looking at the dates on it, and I purchased this in two thousand and three from Platinum Disc Corporation from Lacrosse Wisconsin. So that's fun. But here's what was on this disc Horror Hotel, A bucket of Blood, the Devil's Hand, and I Bury the Living. I've actually seen all four of those and they're actually not bad. But I think that's the point, though, is that usually when you're watching these, it's a real roll of the dice what the quality is going to be, because the reason why people put out these gray market DVDs is because it costs them very little. Either these are public domain films or films that have just like the lowest licensing fees ever, and so it's just a cheap way for someone to make a quick buck, so they just, you know, I think shovel wear is a term for it when it's applied to video games. But it's just it's nothing. It's cheap nothing. So usually it's garbage. And every once in a while you find a gem, and this a Bucket of Blood is one of those very rare gems in these piles of public domain and low licensing fees movies on these gray market DVDs. And when I saw it the first time, I immediately knew that it was just a cut above the rest and that it was a movie that I was going to share with people and show to people. And I think, more to the point, I am an art school kid, you know, my college degrees and the fine arts and all that kind of stuff. So when I see things like beat Nicks and cafes and gallery showings and all those things, it just feels very at home to me. And the lampooning of it feels very direct and personal in a charming and fun way. So I think that's another reason why I latch onto it so directly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there's an authenticity to this film, right, It feels like it's commenting on actual people and culture. Sometimes the films of this caliber have that feeling of like having been written by an alien, acted by aliens, Like this is just a rough approximation of what human beings are like. But there's real humanity in this even though at the same time, of course, it is a horror film, horror comedy, a satire. It's not attempting to adhere very closely to the contours of life, but it's commenting on those contours for sure.
Speaker 3: And some of those comments are still pretty valid. So, like this movie was made in the nineteen or sorry, late nineteen fifties. I think it's fifty nine. And there's one joke in here in particular where I was like, yeah, that still hits home. It was all the beat Nicks were like waking up and they're like flop house, and they're all sitting around to breakfast. And our protagonist walks in and the the head beatnik offers him breakfast. And I wrote this down because I loved it so much. He offers him soy and wheat, germ pancakes or go. He pronounces it organic, but it's organic organic guava nectar, calcium lactate and tomato juice and gorbonzo omelets sprinkled with smoked yeast. And I thought to myself, that's one hundred percent a meal I run into in my little vegan cafes that I go to. Like, no over exaggeration, no like playing it up for giggles. That's a real meal that I have eaten in a standard typical twenty twenty three or I guess twenty twenty four now vegan cafe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yeah. I was excited when I realized this was going to be a Beatnik movie because I was recently reflecting to sort of you know, casually want doing something else, like around the house or something that I don't think weird how cinema had featured a proper beatnik movie, and this is a perfect one. Yeah, it hits all the right notes, and there's not a note like it's not just casually beaten it. It's not like, Okay, we kill a couple of beat Nicks off in the first couple of minutes. It's devoted to commenting on beatnik culture, right right for sure. Now, for anyone out there you're not familiar with the term beatnik or you're only loosely familiar with it. Roughly speaking, these were members of the beat generation, and more specifically followers of kind of an anti materialistic bohemian lifestyle. You know, to varying degrees that people are aligned with any given social movement. This would have been the late fifties early sixties. You know, icons like Alan Ginsberg are generally associated with this scene. They were pre hippies, though many of them would go on to become hippies.
Speaker 3: It's also I love when the mainstream bastardizes subcultures. I find it so funny every single time. A lot of eighties films when they're trying to identify and focus on the punk scene, hilarious hippies. Yeah, yeah, honestly, it's all of the subcultures. Whenever the mainstream focuses on a subculture, whether it be kids in their early two thousands, anything, anything, it's always ridiculous and always fun. Hackers, the film Hackers was it was a great version of that, So they're all good. Any any mainstream version of a subculture is lampoon worthy in itself, and this is one of them for sure. But I think they're they're pretty accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you always they always paying with a broad brush. But given that they get to devote the whole film to Beatnicks, you have like these different caricatures of Beatninks. Very true. Now you mentioned the different subcultures across different decades, you know, especially given that this film ultimately has a has a simplistic but effective format, you know, you could easily apply it to a different subculture like every decade or even every five years. And indeed, there's at least one seemingly bad remake of this film from nineteen ninety five that updates it, for like gen X hipsters instead of Beatnicks.
Speaker 3: I've seen it. I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The main reason I watched it is I believe years ago, I was on like IMDb trivia or something for this movie Bucket of Blood, And while I was there, one of the pieces of trivia was like Will Ferrell plays a bit part in the remake of this film, and so I had to hunt it down and see it just to see what it was like. Because one of the things this movie, a Bucket of Blood, is clearly lacking as a budget, Like it's clearly like a bottom of the barrel Roger Korman. We have twelve dollars and five days, let's just make a movie. And so because of that, you know, it suffers from the things that do suffer without a budget. But then I watched the remake, and I think, if I remember correctly, I may not. I think it was a Showtime original movie, like Movie of the Week kind of thing, so it still had a rock bottom budget and it was not improved with an increased budget, because I don't believe they actually increased the budgets, And so I think the original is.
Speaker 2: All, you know. Yeah, yeah, the remake has Anthony Michael Hall, and I think David Cross also shows up in it at some point, but I have not seen it. I just watched a clip of it and that was all I need.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, that's correct, that's correct. If you're going to watch one, I recommend the original.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's go ahead and listen to a little bit of the trailer audio on this one, so folks can get a taste of what we're going to be talking about here. The artist, the poet, the figure muddle who loves to show it. Do you suppose he could be physically attracted to No, man, he ain't the type. You don't get enough vitamin E.
Speaker 3: All these are beat All these.
Speaker 2: Your meat him a bucket of blood.
Speaker 3: Let us make the see.
Speaker 2: Enjoy yourself where the hilarious, enjoy the horrifying in a bucket of blood. Now you're gonna shoot me, don't chir Come to the land of living dreams, where realists dream of the unreal water. You've done something to me, something deep down inside of my praana. Oh what I want to be with you? Your creative beat nicks at their bodiest, the creative urge at its most primitive. Irime deeply moved, And I shall compose a poem, Love is art, Art is love. It's the weirdest and the wildest.
Speaker 3: I don't want to make statues anymore.
Speaker 2: I want to get married to you. All right. Well, if you want to go out and watch this film before we discuss it anymore here and get into some spoilers and so forth, well, luckily you don't have to go and get that bargain bin four to fifty forgotten horror films because it's widely available digitally. I watched this one on Prime and the film Detective Studio put out a very nice blu ray of the picture if you want to go physical media on it, So you got plenty of options. For sure.
Speaker 3: It's public domain, so you can find it on YouTube. You can find it, you know, playing at a gas station, pump anywhere anywhere. Really that there's a screen.
Speaker 2: That would be great. I wish they should movies like this gas station. They should.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a couple of really good restaurants where they'll do that just project public domain old films, like on the walls while you eat. There was a burger place in Atlanta that did that that I really liked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the place, all right, let's get into the people involved in this film. We mentioned already that this is Roger Corman picture, directed and produced. Corman of course towering name in American bet cinema, and this is a film that's often mentioned in highlights of his directorial output. Even though I never it wasn't really on my radar. I think it was probably because it had kind of has this grotesque title bucket of Blood, that puts a lot of ideas into your head. And I do have to stress there is no bucket of blood that I remember. There's maybe a pan of blood, but it's not always filled up. No, Yeah, it's not nearly as grizzly as it implies. Obviously, you know they're trying to get the teens into the drive in here.
Speaker 3: This is perhaps a movie title first situation, and perhaps even a poster first. Did you see the poster for this? Yeah, it's wonderful. It's like a page out of Mad magazine. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it clearly doesn't a monster So that might have been a reason that I never really was drawn into it before, just because it was it was clearly not a monster film. It's talking about a bucket of blood, and I ended up moving on to the next thing. And there are a lot of things to move on to in Roger Corman's filmography, but yeah, this one stands out because it's actually, you know, a darkly satirical horror comedy, and it kicks off a loose trilogy of Corman directed in Charles B. Griffith's scripted black comedies. Again, this was fifty nine A Bucket of Blood, followed up by nineteen sixties The Little Shop of Horror, which I think everyone is familiar with to some degree or another, and then nineteen sixty one's Creature from the Haunted Sea.
Speaker 3: All classics, all wonderful films, excellent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't seen Creature from the Haunted Sea, but now I'm interested to check it out.
Speaker 3: I mean Roger Corman, I mean, I don't think he's underrated, but perhaps people think of him mostly as someone who had a lot of content, But he also had a lot of quality. I have to say, like, I think, for his limitations in budget and time, he made amazing pieces for what resources he had. If he had more resources, actually, who knows. Maybe he worked well under pressure, but for the amount of money that he worked with and the amount of time that he spent on them. They're actually remarkable films.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean just just discussing films that have been covered on Weird House in the past that Joe and I've talked about, like nineteen fifty seven's Not of This Earth very cheap, but the fact that the movie is so cheap and you can still find things to talk about, that there's still things that stand out and are memorable and demand bad remakes decades later. It's commendable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that you want to rewatch them and you want to share them with your friends. That's really telling when you when you just finished watching one hundred and ninety nine other bad horror movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you know a film like nineteen sixty four's Mask of the Red Death. You get to see what Corman was capable of when he did have a bigger budget backing him up right and did go for like a stylistic picture.
Speaker 3: That's a great example.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This picture though, is again nineteen fifty nine. It's coming on the Heels. I think five different pictures that he directed in the previous year in fifty eight, including Teenage Caveman and eight pictures from fifty seven including Not of This Earth and Attack of the Crab Monsters. So it's kind of entering a new dimension here. You know. He directed a lot of different things. We think of him, you know, in terms of monster films, but he did westerns, he did crime, he did dramas, and of course he did black comedies and satires, as we see in this picture. Now the screenwriter again as Charles B. Griffith, who of nineteen thirty through two thousand and seven American screenwriter, best known for his work with Corman, which also included some acting. And you know, as is often the case in the Corman camp, you know, it's like you're just called on to do different things. He worked on such films as Not of This Earth, from fifty six, Attack of the Crab Monsters, fifty seven The Little Shop of Hers. He also directed six films, including fifty nine Forbidden Island, seventy nine's Up from the Depths in nineteen eighty nine's Wizards of the Lost Kingdom too.
Speaker 3: I actually like that one. That one's an MST three K one, and I like that one quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I haven't. I haven't watched that MST three K episode yet.
Speaker 3: But yeah's I want to say, that's perhaps the second Netflix season perhaps, And yeah, that was actually a good one. I like that one.
Speaker 2: This has some sort of crazy lion creature or something in the sky. I want to say.
Speaker 3: That sounds about right. That sounds about right. Mostly it was that kind of like comedic relief and small child traveling across medieval Europe kind of situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, getting into the cast here, this film is all about Walter Paisley, and we're gonna have a lot to say about the character of Walter Paisley as we proceed here. But Walter Paisle was played by the great Dick Miller, who lived nineteen twenty eight through twenty nineteen. We've talked about him before on Weird House cinema legendary character actor from the Bronx who made his way to California in the mid fifties. He's trying to make it, go at it as a writer, but then he meets Roger Corman. Roger Corman didn't need writers, he needed actors, so he started using him on pictures as early as nineteen fifty five as Apache Woman, in which I believe he plays two different Dick parts. So it's like, get in there, Dick, we need you in the background here and okay, now wipe the makeup off. We need you in this scene as well. And from that point on he ends up showing up in other Corman pictures such as Not of This Earth and He Not of This Earth is a great example where he comes in. He brings a lot of energy and creativity to the role. I think he ad libs some stuff. He takes something that could just be a thankless, little extra role, this guy's it's going to be killed by the alien menace, and makes it something memorable. And so it's no surprise that Corman finally casts him in the lead. He casts him in the lead in a crime drama titled Rock all Night, and this kicks off a whole string of roles in Corman pictures. It becomes an icon of genre cinema, popping up later on in memorable roles in such pictures as Grimlins, Tales from the Crypt, Demon Knight, the Terminator. Of course, he has that great small role as the guy that's running the gun shop that the Terminator goes into. So wherever he pops up, he's always a treat. And while many film goers, I think, tend to associate him with kind of snappy working man roles, you know, like a terminator. Just what you see here Pal Bucket of Blood casts them as a likable but ultimately dim witted outcast who desperately wants to belong. So if you're not used to seeing him outside of those sort of working man roles, you might be a little surprised at the ultimately the depth that they get into here with this character. It's also the first of several characters named Walter Paisley that he ends up playing, right.
Speaker 3: I was going through his IMDb recently because this is something that I had heard but never really paid much attention to, And yeah, I found about a dozen other times he played someone named either Walter Paisley, Walter Walt or something Paisley Like. I saw these two cop films he was in where he played like Sergeant Paisley back to back, and yeah, it seems like that was I have to assume that it's everyone paying homage back to this film, but I guess it could also be that there was some sort of inside joke where that's something happened even pre this film with the name Walter Paisley. And even this film is homage to some other inside joke about the name Walter Paisley, but at least in cinema on screen, this is the birth of the name Walter Paisley that he then played that. I guess just the name, because it can't be the same role, because again and again and again, all the different waltz and Walter's and Walter Paisley's he plays, like, for example, the garbage man in the Burbs, I believe that's a Walter Paisley. I may be getting this one wrong, but so he kept working with Joe Dante over and over. Joe Dante loved to put him in any movie he ever did. I think the show Let's See It was called Erie Indiana, and I believe his role was in that episode. He would sneak around and whenever someone loses something, like they lose a sock in the dryer, they lose the capital, their pen whatever, it's because Walter Paisley is sneaking up and stealing it. Because it's a big part about like the American economy, where they need to ensure that people are still buying new things. So Walter Paisley is sneaking around and stealing people's belongings when they think that they lose them. Really remarkable. Oh I bring that up because Joe Dante produced that series. That's the connection there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I remember Eerie Indiana. I remember liking it, but I haven't really revisited it since it originally aired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like X Files for kids, with definitely some like Twilight Zone for kids mixed in there.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a fun series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, Well, yeah, Dick Miller the star of this picture, and I think it's a pretty solid performance. He's awkward and likable in the early goings, not just socially awkward, but like physically bumbling in a very effective manner. Like there's an early scene where he is frustrated he goes to kick like a milk carton on the street and falls. It's it's great, No, he's.
Speaker 3: Very believable, and especially when you compare him to like you said, his more like workman type characters later where he's kind of like gruff And you know what was he in chopping mall and I remember now.
Speaker 2: Correctly, Yeah, it was a janitor who gets murdered by the robots.
Speaker 3: Exactly like that, that kind of role. I think most people associate him with just kind of like that, like grumpy old man and part of the body counts basically. But yeah, no, this is a true character. It's it's quite good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And eventually, this is a character that darkens somewhat. It is titled a bucket of Blood, and he's able to push that portrayal to the dark side a bit as well, you know, not to the degree that somebody who specializes in that sort of thing. But then that sort of actor wouldn't be necessarily be able to manage the lovable and likable aspects of the character as well. I mean, you know, it would take it would take a special actor to really nail both of those, and I think Dick Miller does a pretty darn good job here for sure. All Right. Other members of the cast, Carla is the only beat Nick in the film that is nice to him early on, and as such, this is the woman of his dreams. She's played by Barbara Morris, who lived nineteen thirty two. From nineteen seventy five, she appeared in several Corman films, beginning in fifty seven with a trio that included Rock All Night. She's also in fifty eight Teenage Caveman, She's in fifty nine's The Wasp Woman, and later on she appeared in Corman's nineteen sixty seven LSD movie The Trip, which is pretty amusing. That's the Dennis Hopper and his crew. Bruce Dern is in it as a guy that's here to guide you on your trip. And then she pops up in nineteen seventies The Done, which horror one of her final role. That's a film that's been covered on Weird House as well. Not much to say here, she's a likable, effective performance. Absolutely, Okay, then we have we should mention that the central setting for the whole picture is the beat Nick bar I guess it's more of a coffee shop type of situation, a coffee house beat Nick coffee house called the Yellow Door.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like that that typical coffee house that you picture in your mind where has like a little stage for like an open mic night type situation. It's got you know, locals art hanging around the walls. It's it's that general purpose local art scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and it's it's interesting that it's it's presented it it's presented, well, you believe that this is a real place, but it's presented seemingly simultaneously, like from an inward view as well as an outside view, because it feels authentic. But then also there's this whole element of like, not one but two undercover cops have been assigned to his place to keep track of the Beatnik heroin trade.
Speaker 3: And going like twenty four hours we see them like trade off, you know, yeah, my shift's done, your turn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was there really that much heroin action going on at your average like you know, small coffee house in the late fifties. I don't know, but anyway, the guy that runs the place is this character. Leonard decentis played by Anthony Carbutten, who lived nineteen twenty five through twenty twenty the immoral owner operator of the Beatnick coffee house here. He appeared in various TV and film projects, including several Corman pictures. He pops up in sixty one's The Pit and the Pendulum, which of course stars Vincent Price.
Speaker 3: Those were such great films. I love that run of all the Poe films. Oh that so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I really like him in this picture. I think you know. So he's initially just another beatnick jerk who doesn't give Walter a chance. He's also Walter's boss, and he's or some mean boss who tells Walter he has to do his job and so forth, quit staring into the stars, quit talking to the customers. But he ultimately becomes like the one person who knows the terrible truth about what's going on, and he has to wrestle with that, and we'll get into how he wrestles with it and what sort of choices he makes based on that knowledge.
Speaker 3: It's fun as an audience that we can see his motivation very clearly, but no one else can.
Speaker 2: Fun. All right, We also have Ed Nelson popping up in this one. Ed Nelson lived nineteen twenty eight through twenty fourteen. He was the star of fifty eights The Brain Eaters, which we've talked about on We Your House before. He was a frequent Corman actor. In this he plays one of those two undercover cops, Art Lacroix. And I'm not sure what flavor Lacroix he would be, because he'd be one of the less drinkable flavors. I think, you know, because he has a very rough exterior he's At first you think he's like the sleazier of the beat Nicks, and then you realize, oh, he's an undercover cop.
Speaker 3: And he is dressed like an undercover cop, like a big goofy hat to fur jackets, like he's he's definitely like, hello, fellow kids, I'm here.
Speaker 2: All right. So we have a lot of beat Nicks hanging out in there, and we do have kind of like a lead beat Nick, your head beat Nick. This is the poet Maxwell, played by Julian Burton of the nineteen thirty two through two thousand and six, mostly a TV actor, perhaps best known for this film. Yeah, he's the lead, pompous beat Nick poet and ultimately the taste maker at the Yellowdar. If he says something is good, it is good and everyone falls in line. I thought this character was a constant delight. He does a lot of poetry performances, either officially or sort of unofficially off Mike, because it's also just how he speaks to everyone, and it ultimately plays an essential role in both the plot and also just sort of the texture of the films.
Speaker 3: It's note perfect, pitch perfect for someone who is both very pompous and yet like not phony, like he does kind of back up what he says. He's just like a typical blow hard artist that really really buys into their own their own scene and their own message and their own intentions. And it's it's perfect. It's perfect. I've met dozens of men just like Maxwell for sure.
Speaker 2: And of course there's a hypocrisy to him as well, as we'll get old, of course, because that is a part of art, absolutely all right. Moving on to the art direction on this film, it's worth pointing out because it's Daniel Holler born nineteen twenty nine. He's come up on the show before because he went on to direct nineteen seventies The Dunwich Horror and he also did production design on Mask of the Red Death, so he worked with Corman a lot and went on to went on to direct a number of pictures as well.
Speaker 3: I don't want to give away probably what he spent most of his time and money on, but yeah, you can tell well, I bet most of his time went into but we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 2: Because he couldn't take the same shortcuts that Walter did, right, very true, very true, all right. Music wise, the score is attributed to Fred Katz, who have nineteen nineteen through twenty thirteen, and fittingly, there's a lot of a lot of sacks, a lot of delirious beat, nicked sacks that you've heard, and if you watch the films of this caliber, you've heard it before. You know the sacks is drizzling. There's like implied or overt drug use. It is supposed to be the soundtrack of getting high in the late fifties.
Speaker 3: And we have matching Stoner characters. We just really convey that really lets you know what's happening behind the scenes right here, but the Hayes coat is stopping them from overtly telling you.
Speaker 2: I was, yeah, you're referring to there's a there's a duo, like the comedic duo of Stoner's. And I was constantly floored by the humor because I it was not connecting with me, and I wasn't sure how much of it is, like the cultural distance, how much of it is like the fact that they had to be a little careful how they treated this humor, because you know, they're supposed to be high all the time and they're sort of drifting in and out of the room blasted out of their skulls. But I found very little that they did was actually like overtly funny. I felt like I was missing the joke.
Speaker 3: I mean, they were definitely the Beavis and butt Head of the fifties, or perhaps the Cheech and Chong of the nineteen fifties. And yeah, all of their slang and goofiness never really did much for me. But I did notice one point that I was like, oh, that's clearly a joke that they're making, which was like someone said something and then one of the stoner beat nick says, oh, what did he say?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: And the other one goes, didn't you hear him? He's like, nah, I'm too far out.
Speaker 2: Ah. Oh yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: That's good of course.
Speaker 2: Hours now, one final note on the saxophone music, though the credited SAXOPHONEI ist here and we see him on screen is Grammy nominated Paul Horn, who lived nineteen thirty through twenty fourteen. Were you familiar with Paul Horn.
Speaker 3: Only by I can't say I'm too familiar with specific saxophone jazz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't either, But this guy apparently was a pretty big deal. He went on to become a pretty big deal. He got into the early New Age music scene, particularly with a nineteen sixty nine album called Inside Sometimes. I think it's on like Spotify as Inside the taj Mahll because it was apparently recorded inside the taj Mahll And I was listening to part of it before we came in to record this, and it's it's pretty good stuff. It's like it's got that thing soothing, you know, very obviously inspired by traditional Indian music and utilizing traditional Indian instruments, but yeah, it's quite good. And apparently it was a big hit in like the New Age scene, and he went on to doing albums for what is it Wyndham Hill, you know, the big New Age music label of the day.
Speaker 3: I mean it matches this movie perfectly. It's a lone saxophone wailing into the night. Is the sound of like open mic nights at a at a little coffee shop. So yeah, no, it's perfect for this beatnik styled film.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's get into the plot a little bit. Now. This is not one that we're going to necessarily do like a blow by blow or beat by beat if you will, if you want to get cheeky account of what happens. And then to a certain extent, we don't have to go beat by beat because the formula you can pretty much guess at everything once we lay out the initial steps.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's basically five chunks of escalation escalates one after the other after the other, both in severity and I suppose in motivation, but I suppose we should tell the people what we're talking about before we start getting into those five steps.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So again, it's the late fifties. You've got this beatnik hang You've got this coffee house. There's a lot of poetry going on, visual arts, obviously smokingland and also obviously some drug use going on. They're very clear about that. The police are are interested in this in this place for that very reason. And uh, you see, you know the typical interactions between you know, we have the you know, the tastemaker Maxwell, and we have his hangers on. We have the stoner duo who are not artists and barely seem to know really what's going on in their immediate vicinity, but you know, they're they're there, they're there to hang out, they're part of the scene. And in the midst of all of this we have we have Walter. Uh, And Walter just works at the coffee shop. He's going around like busting the tables and so forth, bringing coffee out to folks. But he's constantly distracted because he is ultimately, even though he works here, he is an outsider to the actual scene. Uh. He is a loner. He desperately wants to belong somewhere, and this is the primary culture that he is apparently exposed to. So he wants to be a part of what he sees here, and he sees that the main thing he needs to do is he needs to become an artist.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think most people become artists in real life because they have an affinity for it or perhaps some sort of innate talent. Walter, as we see, doesn't really have either of those things. It's like you said, it's just logically he wants to be a part of this social group, and the way to do that is to be a popular artist amongst this social group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Unfortunately, they're not they're not looking to let anybody in. Certainly they're not looking to let him in. They're very that everyone, with the exception of Clara, are pretty pretty clear on this right that that he does not belong. He's only here to pick up the coffee munks and so forth. So that's part of it. But he doesn't seem to be drawn to the creative side of art so much. He's drawn to the prospect of social belonging and ultimately fame. But he doesn't put the time in. And perhaps part of that is he doesn't know how to put the time in. You know, he's he's, I guess, exposed to this like very poetic vision of what creative he is. That Maxwell is spouting the idea that, like, you know, creativity is just something that like the artist breathes in and out, and it's not implied that it's something that imployed, that takes work and dedication, that you may fail at a lot before you get somewhere. And so he also doesn't know how to fail. He doesn't know how to set goes. He doesn't have any of these tools, and he's also probably you know, supposed to be picking up a lot of additional myths about creativity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see this a little bit later when we watch him attempting to make art on his own early on, where he's trying to sculpt a bust of Carla, the woman who's nice to him, And while he's doing it, you can just see his anger and like he's trying to like punch at it and jab at it. He's like Bean knows, Pia knows, and he doesn't know. He doesn't know how to actually do these things. He isn't going through the steps. He just wants instantaneously, like he said, to like breathe out the art and it exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's hitting that. I've heard it called creative Cliff and and I. And it's interesting because I think you know everyone out there, you know, myself included. I'm sure you've had this experience. We've all had those b and O's moments of the things we're working on where you just you you can't do make the thing happen, and and it's frustrating, and ultimately you know you have to you have to stop, you have to come back. But but again, he hasn't been trained any of that, He hasn't been told any of that. He hasn't been picking up on a culture that that that that that that says that that is a part of the the of being a creative person and engaging in creative endeavors, so he just gets super frustrated. Uh and and doesn't know how to move forward. Poor guy. Yeah, but we have to stress that he is, at least initially a very likable guy. He's you know, he's he's supposed to be a bit dim witted. He's supposed to still, you know, be a nice guy. He wants to make friends. Nobody else is letting him in or giving him a chance except maybe Carla, and uh yeah, yeah. At the same time, all he's exposed to is this culture of there is only art. You know. Maxwell's constantly talking about this in his poetry, like nothing else has value except art. Everything else serves art. And these are the ideas that take on literal weight and end up festering in his increasingly troubled mind.
Speaker 3: If he had just grown up in a different neighborhood, maybe this entire movie would be aimed to him wanting to become a baseball player or wanting to become a chef. It was just, you know, this happened to be the scene that he was in, and so this is what he needed to do.
Speaker 2: Oh and the chef is a great idea because there's your instant template for a cannibal movie. Yes, yeah, different. Walter Paisley wants to be a fine chef, doesn't have the skills and ends up committing murder and cannibalism.
Speaker 3: I can and I bet I have seen that film.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's get to the point. Because he's trying to create, he wants to create, and he's failing. He can't make a nose does not manifest out of the clay. Meanwhile, the landlady, the nice but also nosey land lady who gets checking in on him, has a cat, a beloved cat that has somehow climbed into the wall, and he's got several things going and frustrated with the art, he's trying to cook some sort of dinner, and then it's clear that the cat is stuck in the wall. So he does what a rational person does. He decides to stab the wall to free the cat, and of course murders the cat in the process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's important to keep this in mind. The first death was not human, and the first death was an accident. I think it's also very important that something you'll read a lot in oh, how to write a screenplay, movies or books and things like that, where it'll be like, the save the cat moment is something that gets brought up often. You can look at the movie Alien for example, et cetera, et cetera, And yeah, saving the cats is a big thing for a protagonist to do, to show that they are bikable and that they are caring and empathetic towards other creatures, et cetera, et cetera. This is the opposite. We start our film with killing a cat accidentally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's trying to save it, he's trying to do right. But if the hideous fumble, the cat doesn't suffer mine just not too grotesque or anything. But he's left with this dead cat and something clicks in his head, right, he realizes this is the opportunity. You know, He's got Maxwell's poetic drivels running around his head and he realizes, Okay, there is something I can do here, and then you can probably guess what it.
Speaker 3: Is, yeah, if you haven't caught on. Basically, he traces the cat by covering the dead cat with clay, turning it into a sculpture, which suddenly makes him hyper realistic in his sculptures. That's something, I mean, how do you get that kind of anatomy. You know, it's difficult to really replicate the exact form and ratios of body parts of a living creature, but he's got it overnight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So he brings this this hideous sculpture in, which is just you know, supposed to be a dead cat covered in clay, and then there's a knife sticking out of it.
Speaker 3: I'd love that he didn't remove the knife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just left the knife in there. And you know it first, you know, he brings us in, and you know, Carla takes a look at it, and and also decantist takes a look at it, and you know, it's it's it's grim and Desanta's is pretty quick to want to just dismiss it. But but Carla's nice and she's like, I think you might have something here. And eventually Desanta's is like, okay, we'll put it in the corner. We'll see if anybody buys it. It can go in the corner of the coffee house and we'll just see what happens. He doesn't seem to expect much, but of course you know what's going to happen. It catches on. People are noticing this cool, hyper realistic sculpture of a dead cat.
Speaker 3: It's very telling and very accurate of the art scene.
Speaker 2: Well, is that you want to walk us through the escalation of these of these crimes each won a different artistic creation by our protagonist, Walter Paisley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, almost an anti hero. He's the subject for sure, So we'll tell you now. Basically there's a rapid escalation and his motivation changes from death to death, to death to death to death to moving on. So yeah, first one is a cat and it's an accident, so perhaps out of just desperation, he makes this statue and it's beloved. Oh no, positive reinforcement. That's the worst thing anyone could have done to Walter Paisley after accidentally killing something. So he's very excited. He's he's he's uncloud nine. All the other beat nick's are really proud of him for making this beautiful piece of art that Maxwell has said is good, you know, so now everyone else is to say it's good too.
Speaker 2: I should add. They like it so much that there's this one lady who comes up to him at the coffee house and she just can't put it into words how beautiful the work is. So she gives him a whole lot of heroin.
Speaker 3: Yes, she gives him a vial of heroin and he doesn't even know what it is. She just wanted to be a part of this creation, and she thought that the way she could do it. First, she tries to go home with him, but he is very confused and doesn't really understand what's happening. And then she goes, well, I have to contribute. I have to be a part of this. So then she gives him heroin. Now, as we've mentioned, there are two undercover cops who are on constant rotation at this one coffee house. One of them sees this handoff and follows Walter home. He interrupts Walter in his house and goes hello, Walter, and he's like, oh, I know you. You come down to the store. How are you come on in? Come on in? You know, let's be friends, right, Someone came to see me at my house. And he's like, I'm an undercover cop. I saw that you were handed heroin. I'm gonna have to take you in. He's like heroin. He's like, yeah, yeah, that the little jar there's gonna be He's like, you know, horse and he's like, oh it wasn't that nicerver to give me that nice horse?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that nice expensive horse.
Speaker 3: Yes, And so he doesn't get it. He definitely doesn't get it. Now the undercover cop is frustrated, so he tries to convince him and try to get what he wants from him. So he pulls out his gun and he's like, look, Walterrott, don't make me use this. I'm gonna have to. He's like, oh, no, you're gonna shoot me. He's like, no, I'm not going to shoot you. I'm just saying I'm a cop. I'm arresting you. Let's go. And he's like, no, I don't want you to shoot me. And so he was cooking at the time, and he was holding like almost like a crape pan, let's say. And so if you haven't seen a crape pan, it's like a frying pan, except the edges are very very low, very a very shallow frying pan. And so Walter seemingly, at least in his own mind for sure, in self defense, swings this pan at the cop and we don't see it on screen, but later we will see just cleaves his head right down the middle with this with this very slim pan. So first death was an animal and it was an accident. Second death undercover cop quote unquote self defense. Let's let's see where this keeps going. So obviously there's the pattern here. So he covers this undercover cop in clay, and I suppose we'll kind of let this part happen. So the first person to realize what Walter is doing is Leonard, the guy that owns the the art house, the coffee shop at the yellow door, and he sees it because I believe the cat statue tips over and just a little piece of fur is poking out, and he's like, oh, you hack, fraud, you weirdo. What do you do in trying to cover a dead cat and clay and put it in my coffee house? This is ridiculous. So he's about to like go tell it to Walter and get mad at him, when someone comes in, let's call it a square page comes in and it's like, I need that cat sculpture. I'll pay you ten times what you ask for. It's getting I must have it. I must have it. And at first he's like, no, I'm not going to sell you a dead cat covered in clay. He's like, I'll double it and he's like, oh no, no, no, I can't do that. I'll triple it.
Speaker 2: And you see it.
Speaker 3: You see it Leonard's eye that he's like, oh, this is money, this is absolutely money. Fine, I won't give it to you today, but yes we'll do it. Because I'm sure he goes through his mind. He's like, all right, it's just a dead cat. It's fine, it's fine. Then Walter brings in his next piece, which he has named Murdered Man, and it's the undercover cop covered in clay, and Leonard is the only one who puts two and two together and understands what's happening, what has escalated. Everyone else thinks it's a wonderful sculpture. How did you capture that look of agony on his face?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Your realism? Oh this is so wonderful. I remember there's one point where someone's like, oh, how did you do this so quickly? He's like, oh, you know, I just put some clay on and fixed it up.
Speaker 2: No, no big deal.
Speaker 3: He's like, must have taken you forever. It's like, no, it doesn't take me too long. Like okay, right, because you're just putting a facade on this, you're not actually sculpting anything. So everyone loves it except Leonard. Leonard feels ill. Leonard does not want to be a part of this, and he doesn't know what to do because on the one hand, money, and on the other hand, is he like an accessory at this point, And so he's trying to de escalate this whole situation. He's like, you know what, Walter, why don't you maybe try some free form you know, forget this human figure thing. No, no, nobody, nobody can do that anymore. Just just just free form abstract things. No more humans, no more death and destruction. Okay, And everyone else is like, what he's so good at this, clearly let him lean into this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Maxwell comes to his defense. It's like, don't tell him how to do his art.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's wonderful, and uh so there we are now now now because of this new statue and and the first cat statue, the whole place is a buzz And Leonard has even in an attempt to just kind of I guess uh a, to keep Walter away from him a little bit. He has I guess fired is the right wrong way to put it, but he has given him an advance for his sculptures and said just just go just leave, don't don't don't make any more statues for now, Okay, just just relax.
Speaker 2: Yeah, going on, it's a little sabbatical here, and he's clear he's not. He's like, yeah, don't don't make any more art just yet, because again money. But also yeah, he knows that what then what another piece would mean? And he's probably, you know, juggling around this idea is like, am I an accessory to murder at this point? And then also you can imagine he's telling himself but hey, nobody else has to know that. I know, I can just be as surprised as everyone else when this eventually blows up up. But I can make a little bit of money in the meantime.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I mean, you know, the Yellow Door is not a huge money making endeavor like the Beats and but Head characters. I think they often say they have no money and they're just hanging around. Yeah, I think there's a lot of just people lurking there that aren't actually giving Leonard any money. So moving on, the next time we see Walter Paisley, suddenly he's got a little money in his pocket. He has two successful sculptures. He comes into the Yellow Door not as an employee, but as a guest's He's bought a fancy, new beat nick outfit. He's walking around like a little walking stick that he refers to as his zen stick, which is just remarkable, and everyone's just fawning over him. Maxwell invites him down to be his special guest, et cetera, et cetera, and this is all wonderful. Walter is having the best time of his life. This is anything and everything he ever wanted. He's getting it. But then a artist's model who is often a part of this scene named Alice, who's been out of town for the past week or two. She says, she comes into the hangout and then like everyone's fawning over Walter, and she's confused because she's like what, no, no, no, no, I'm awesome. You guys are awesome. He's not awesome. He's just the bus boy. And they're like, no, no, he's an artist now. And he's like, no, y'all, y'all are putting me on, like this is just a joke for my benefit, Like he's just the bus boy. He get him out of here. Walter doesn't like this. He was just on the top of the mountain. He's not gonna come down. So, like I said, she's an artist model. He's mad at her. But she goes on home and he follows her and he's like, I'd love to hire you to be an artist model so I can make another sculpture. And she's like, well that is my job. Fine, let's do it. And he's like, yeah, let's do it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So she goes to his place and now Walter is definitely crossing a line because you can see where this is going. He kills her. He strangles her with a scarf, and this one's just personal spite, like there's no self defense, there's no act. He is doing this because Alice was mean to him, and now he is he needs a body for the arts.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's it's very funny. I was thinking about this. This movie came out from the same writer director right before Little Shop of Horrors. Many similarities. This situation here, specifically is where it's like I gotta kill someone, well, you're mean, I guess, I guess you'll do. It's that same situation of a of a of a ne'er do well, kind of nebish guy just being like I need bodies.
Speaker 2: Here we go. And so now now he's going in cold blood and yeah, it's a character that she's not hateable, No, she's but she's not supposed to be one hundred percent likable. So you know, we're accelerating through that gray zone into like, yeah, it's clearly he's a murderer at this point, but he hasn't attempted to murder anyone that we really like yet. And you know, especially in a genre picture like I guess we were more forgiving of that sort of thing, Like the threshold of the uncrossable transgression is is maybe a little a little farther out in.
Speaker 3: A movie like this, but we still a room to escalate. So we continue, and once again Leonard is like stop, you have to stop, please stop, this is terrible. Stop stop stop, But he just keeps on doing his thing, and he's he's he's really like kind of like hitting the thesis on the head at this point because they threw like a big celebration for him where he got very drunk, and he's just kind of like lamenting and feeling kind of sad, and he starts like walking home alone by himself, and he literally says the phrase, I gotta do something before they forget. Yeah, it's just this this moment where it's like, yeah, that's a kind of all he has and all he wants is this moment of being in the spotlight and being admired. I don't want to put too many parallels here, but there's definitely some modern social media parallels there of things of just like I just got to do something for the gram. He's got to put something up on TikTok. It doesn't really matter what it is. I just need to stay in the spotlight for another minute, and kind of like we were saying before, where it's like he's not trying to get notoriety by being good at something. He's not trying to get notoriety because like he particularly loves making art, he just wants to be famous. And so again there's some social media parallels there of like just wanting fame for fame's sake, to fit in be a part of a social scene. And just like he said, I gotta do something before they forget. I just need to go. I just need to do And so here's here's where he crosses yet another line, a further escalation. He's walking home drunk from the yellow door, and he sees like a construction worker perhaps like making a furniture in like a little like outdoor kind of like alleyway workshop kind of thing, and he just kills the man. He cuts off his head with a like circular saw. Again, this is all Hayes coache, so we don't see anything. There's like no violence in any of this. And he makes a it's just the man's head that he covers in clay and like sticks on a stick. And if that's our hey, that happens all the time. But no, Leonard once again knows exactly what that is. And he's flipping out. He doesn't know what to do. You see him just acting like a like a very conflicted, you know, weirdo. And but he's like, all right, we're going to set up an art show because I got a cash in on this owl.
Speaker 2: That's his logical conclusion. Not this is the point where I call the police or even like set opposite like convince everyone, like now I realize what's up. He's like, let's go ahead and do that art show.
Speaker 3: Well, we can't exactly this has a shelf life, and I need to get my money quick because he mentions this, and this is actually very accurate. He gets a fifty percent cut of the sales of the pieces, and in fact, we do see him take advantage of Walter early on. The dead Cat was originally being sold I believe for a hundred, and so Walter would have gotten fifty, and he would have gotten fifty. But the when he was like, no, I'm not gonna sell, I'm not gonna sell. I believe, it went all the way up to five hundred. But when he paid Walter, he still only paid him fifty dollars. So Leonard is a villain here and he is taking advantage of Walter, but he really needs this money. So he's gonna do an art show and it's gonna bring in everybody. And so they do it. They bring him this big art show. Got a dead cat, got a dead cop, got a dead art model, got a dead construction worker's head on a stick, all covered in clay, and everyone's loving it. There's an art critic there saying, oh, I'm going to write this up and all these pieces are gonna be worth ten times what they are now, and everyone's loving it. This is a great time. And at this point Walter Paisley is so, you know, living his dreams, that he does something that he's wanted to do, which is to attempt a romantic relationship with Carla. She's the only one that's ever been nice to him. He's got to go and show her his feelings. He's at the peak of his career that perhaps he'll that he ever will be, he needs to do this now. So he confesses his feelings and she's like, nah, we can be friends, but I just don't see you that way. Typical trying to let him down. Easy situation, and you see something kind of change in him, and he goes, yeah, how about I do a sculpture of you, Carla?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And now he's really crossed that line, Like now he's in the in the unredeemable area here because he's decided, well, if you're not going to be my partner, you are going to be my art.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. So it went from accident to self defense to personal spite with a stranger, random killing of a stranger. Now it's personal killing of someone that he knows well and has affection for. There's only one place you can go after this, and I bet you can guess what it is so ultimately. I believe at the event, someone I think bumps into Oh no no. I believe they see a fingernail poking out of the alice sculpture and they're trying to figure out what it is. Then someone knocks over one of them and it cracks open, and like so the cat is out of the bag. Everyone knows, and they are trying to go get Walter. Walter's like, I got to get out of here, so he runs home. I guess I want to put this delicately because it's not a nice thing that happens. He puts a little bit of clay on his face, covers himself, just a little bit in clay, and he hangs himself and that is the end of the film. And I believe Maxwell says like, oh, it's his final piece, you know, And that's it. That's the whole movie. And it's very straightforward, very simple escalation, but just delicately done, and all the pieces kind of fit together in a real nice, a nice little you can you can feel the growth. It's almost like making bad in a way. You're okay with this character at first, and you just see them getting worse and worse and worse, and by the end you're like, no, I'm not with them. They're making they've made too many bad decisions against people. I like, I'm not in at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is like a lot of these the pictures of this time period, Like this is a very short run time sixty five minutes, so everything is very economically presented, like beat to beat. You can follow it very easily. There's not a lot of wasted motion.
Speaker 3: Here, absolutely, Robert. I must tell you about something that I attempted back when I believe I was in college at the time. I wanted to make a full length animated remake of this film by myself. At the time, I was really into rotoscope animation. There's a studio called Flat Black Films who did things like Waking Life and Scander Darkly stuff like that. Loved that animation style, and I decided I was going to make a rotoscoped film of this film A Bucket of Blood. So I started it, and I immediately realized how long it would take me by myself to rotoscope an entire feature length film. But I did plan it all out, and the idea and all of the work I put into is still sitting there. In my first ten minutes of this film finished, i'd called it another bucket of Blood. And my favorite part about this was that because it is black and white, I had the opportunity to do whatever I wanted with the color palette, and so I made each character within a completely different hue of a color palette that had a deeper meaning tied into like the representation of the color and what that color can mean in like the greater world. So, for example, Maxwell, because he was like the head of the whole yellow door scene, I made him purple because he was regal and the purple is often a royal color associated with that. Leonard because he runs the yellow door, his whole huge color palette was yellow. And also because he's quite a cowardly character, he won't actually take any action, won't do anything. Walter was completely in shades of green because not only was he green in terms of inexperience, he also had a bit at the green eyed monster he was. He was very envious of others and wanted to have what others had, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Like these all all these things happened for like all the central characters they all had a color coding that kind of like showed their future intentions and also perhaps said something about their personality. And I'm very sorry to say that I finished about oh, five minutes of this five to ten minutes, and I was like, I will never do anything else if I dedicate my time to this. This will absorb my entire life for the next five years if this is what I focus on. So so yes, I'm sad to say I I never finished it, but I used some clips in like animation reels that I used to like get real animation jobs.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good. It's a great idea for a project. I guess you didn't have a B and nos moment, but you had this moment that Walter never has, where where you realized how much work it would take and what it would take out of you, and what the returns would be based on this investment.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and in some ways. Rotoscoping, if folks don't know, is an animation style used with tracing over source film panels. So that being the case, I was well aware that my animation style was pulling off what Walter Paisley was doing in the film as well, that I was instead of applying clay to the figures. I was putting a layer of pixels over everyone. It was a fun project. But that's for when you're you know, in your twenties, and you have nothing but free time, and you think that, you know, every art project is achievable because you have infinite time in this world. Then you have to get jobs, you know.
Speaker 2: Looking back on Walter's creations like the first one is kind of an interesting stopping point because there are artists who use and have used animals and dead animals, and two varying degrees, either actually as part of the work as we see with Walter, or of course as inspiration anatomical studies. I'm, of course very much opposed to any kind of animal cruelty based artwork, but just the idea of like a dead animal being used in the art is not completely out of bounds.
Speaker 3: A very famous one is Damien Hurst. Damien Hurst. He has done that with sharks, he has done that with gosh. I think there are other animals as well. His shark piece is the most famous. But you're absolutely right, and these are highly applauded, highly famous and well respected artists. Damien Hurst is one of the most popular modern artists in the world, and he has done this. He displayed a dead shark in a tank and was like, that's my art.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And of course there are artists who have also used either you know, anatomical fluids or parts or even cadavers to different degrees, human cadavers. But of course one of the key rules is you were not allow to make that cadaver yourself. And you need in any kind of fluids or parts you use, it needs to be above board, it needs to be consensual and above board.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I remember the body Works is like a museum piece where they did that as well. And another thing too that the artists who use these human or animal bodies death as as like the palette, they're not lying to you. They're not pretending that it's not a dead body. They are saying this is this, that's part of the message. They're not They're not hiding a dead body inside of a clay exterior.
Speaker 2: Now another interesting theme that I like, we get, we get we get to see a little bit of this, reflections of it, perhaps in the like you know, the third act, I guess you know, where Walter is concerned about what's next and you know, how am I gonna again we talked about this, how you know, I've got to put up something else. I've got to stay in the conversation. And at the same time, like fear that they're going to find him out, He's going to realize that he's a fraud. So we have that interesting texture that he is, I guess quite literally a fraud and there is this dark secret and people don't know the dark secret of how he's creating the art and it's not based in his sculpting talent that has come out of nowhere, and so you know, it gets into that whole like fear that I think even very successful artists have that like they're going to see through me. They're you know, they're going to They're going to to to realize the insecurities that I have about my creations.
Speaker 3: Imposter syndrome for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then also, you know, getting back to what you said, this idea of like how do I follow it up? Like what is the next thing that I have to do? And with Walter, like his pieces of art are literal crimes, they're literal, you know, traumatic experiences that you know, we're still taking a lot out of him, And yeah, we can sort of like roughly compare that to any creative process where it's like you put all this work into something, you know, you lose something in making it, maybe you don't even love the thing when you're done with it anymore. But it's and then there is either the overt demand or just the pressure you feel to like you've got to do something else. Now you've got to go perhaps go through all of that again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, very understandable, very believable. And if folks are curious, this version of a story has been told multiple times in other lampoonings of the art world. There's a really great one called Art School Confidential, where a series of murders are taking place around like an art school campus and then like the paintings of the dead bodies are the remnants from the from the killer. And then there's an episode of CSI I Remember where people were killing people and then the artist would then kind of like that like bodies exhibit, they would like plasticize them where they were just like standing on the street frozen, and that was like their art. Like this idea because like when you think about like what are the extremes of where art can go? This is a logical, slippery slope conclusion is like murder. Murder can be the thing because because there are also versions of this. There was an artist, for example, that his art piece was to be shot. He stood in a gallery and got shot by a gun and that was his art piece that day. So so you know there are versions of this in the real world, and so it's it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And then of course you also have the various wax museum pictures where a toy was some version of this as well. It's like the hideous secret behind these these wax doubles as that of course they're dead bodies that the wax master is covered up in wax. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting concept that can be approached multiple boys.
Speaker 2: Now, i'd say with the ending of the film, it like, like you said, it's it's a pretty dark ending, but it also happens really fast. It has that kind of quick wrap up feel that you find in a lot of especially that crime pictures of the time period, even like very you know, superheroe, horror, sci fi things. It's like Enemy's Dead roll credits, so it's all very sudden and it's very much in keeping with the time period. But I found myself wondering again, he's just hanging up there, He's got some clay just smeared on him. What if they'd gone in a different direction, And what if Walter's final creation, his own death was beautiful. What if it had been transcendent? What if it had been sublime? It would have been really in keeping with the feel of the film. But I can't help but imagine what that would have I guess it would have skewed the message of the film and perhaps an undesirable direction, But it might have also been just a little less dark in that regard.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure absolutely. And you know, there is also gosh. I suppose a fetishization is perhaps too extreme of a term, but you know, when artists die young, that is always a thing that occurs where people will then give a deeper embrace to their work, quite often for good reason, because it's wonderful art. But it is just, you know, it's a trope. It's a trope that if an artist dies young, their work is embraced even more so. What would have happened the year after this? Would there have been artists that were really inspired by his work? Could there have been a bucket of blood too, where it was another artist in like art school who was studying Walter Paisley and then becomes a copycat murderer. I think that's the easiest idea in the world. It would have been wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a great point. Yeah, the the cult of the the the young artist that has we've tragically lost. But also just like the idea, like the cult of the young artist. I was listening to an MPR piece before this recording and the expert I'm sorry, I don't I don't have the information in front of me. I can't remember what the expert's name was, but he was talking a bit about like this this myth, like the basic myth that, like real creativity, it comes young and strong, you know, And it's the sort of creative myth that ends up having a negative impact on a lot of us. And you can imagine that sort of myth impacting the fictional Walter Paisley as well, Like, you know, I'm not a natural talent, then I must be lost. There's nothing I can do, And that's that's not the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, No, it's for such a silly throwaway movie. There's a lot of thought that went into it, and a lot of thought you can have afterwards about its implications and it's greater effect. And yeah, in many ways, like I said that, the mirroring of our modern world and how perhaps it's not that different from how it was in the fifties. Comparing social media to the beatnick world of the nineteen fifties, a lot of similar aspects, which is fascinating.
Speaker 2: I think my final thought well on this film would be I was really expecting someone to say daddy O at some point, and no one ever did. And it makes me wonder. I've never researched when daddy O entered public usage or becomes associated with Beatnicks. Maybe I'm going on faulty information here.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. I actually own a couple of beatnik comics from around this era. There's a comic artist I love named John Stanley, and he tried to make a whole series just about goofy Beatniks in the nineteen fifties, and it was only popular enough to make two issues and then it was canceled. And the thing I remember in their slang is they use the word reat all the time. R ee t to mean like correct, right, you know, And I remember, you know, in the twenty twenties being like huh, all right, like you know better than I do. But yeah, I thought you'd be saying things like daddy oh, but no, no, no, they had their own slang.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating seeing those little like time capsules.
Speaker 2: All right, seth, Well, this has been a lot of fun. Thanks for coming on the show to discuss a Bucket of Blood from nineteen fifty nine. Yeah, a lot to chew on with this one. Tell folks out there where they can find Rusty Needles Record Club and how they.
Speaker 3: Can get in touch with you, absolutely so. Rusty Needles Record Club is a weekly podcast, new episode every Friday, and it's a podcast in the style of how podcasts used to be. Remember the old days folks like around, like let's say two thousand and four, when people made podcasts just for fun and didn't put ads in them and just kind of like, yeah, they were personal and simple and very niche. That's what Rusty Needle's Record Club is. It's a two thousand and four style podcast. And if you like music and you want to expand your musical horizons, or perhaps you just don't have anyone around you that you can have those kind of conversations with. You can at least have like a parasocial relationship with me and my co host Scott as we talk about music. Our goal of the podcast is to listen to every single album ever made, and so far we're doing great. It's we are progressively moving towards that direction. So if you want to join us, just look up Rusty Needles Record Club anywhere you listen to podcasts. We're available everywhere, and yeah, you'll find it. It's easy, that's it. I join us if you feel like it.
Speaker 2: All right. As for Weird House Cinema, of course, Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you want a nice list of all the films we've covered so far in the show, including I guess three episodes with you now seth because during Joe's Brintal leave we covered two films, I think, right. If you want to find all of those, well, you can find a nice list at letterboxed dot com. It's L E T T E R B O x D dot com. Our username is weird House. There's a nice list there. Dive in there, find something you've never seen before, or find something you want to revisit. It's a great tool to use. And yeah, in general, I'll just ask everyone out there, Hey, if you've never rated and reviewed the podcast on one of the many platforms where you can get it, why don't you do that? That could help us out. Another thing, if you listen to this on Apple on Apple device, just maybe pop in and make sure that you're still still subscribe, you're still getting downloads. That also helps us out in the long run. Thanks as always to our excellent producer JJ for helping put together the show here and if you want to get in touch with me and or Joe, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.