Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Made it to a Thursday, but it's not just any Thursday. Now. The tournament begins and if you're in our bracket challenge, you have to have your brackets in by eleven am Eastern. Fritzy's the lifeguard on duty here and he means business, so I can get Thank you Todd the Bracket Challenge Foxsports Radio dot Com and Fritzie will run down some of these celebrities luminaries who are in the bracket Challenge. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panadia America, the official trading cards of this program. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country. This first hour brought to you by Rapid Radios. I got my Rapid Radio with me right now, the official walkie talkie of the DP show. You're gonna have it work on a national LTE network. No subscriptions ever. We use them on the show all the time. Up to sixty percent off with free shipping at Rapid radios dot Com. Play the Daypole question stat of the Day, The King of comedy is back in his chair. Good to see Fritzie. We also have Seaton, Marv Pauliers truly in the back room, guys. Diana Roussini has done a wonderful job with NFL News. She will join us. Coming up a little bit later on on loan from the Athletic. Seems to be conflicting reports about what the Vikings think or thought about Aaron Rodgers. We'll try to sort that out. He seems to be in the on deck circle for the Vikings and perhaps in the on deck circle for retirement. Dan Dokich, he played and he coached. He is a part of Outkicks coverage college hoops and let's still join us a little bit later on congratulations to Xavier. They were down by thirteen, came back to beat Texas and Mount Saint Mary's beats American. Among those playing today Houston, Auburn, Tennessee and Saint John's. If you would have told me five years ago, Rick Bettino is going to be coaching Saint John's. They're going to open up the tournament in PROBA evidence where Rick started his career for the most part and took a Billy Donovan led team whether they go to the Elite eight that year. I'm not even sure how far they went. I just know they were really entertaining that year. But Rick Bettina, it feels like Patino's an underdog, is a number two seat for some reason. It's like, man, look what he's doing with Saint John's. Saint John's used to be really good before Marvin was born. But Saint John's has been a pleasant surprise, and they've recaptured New York City. But they will be in Providence to open up Houston Auburn, Tennessee as well. All right, eight seven seven three DP show operators sitting by. We'll take your phone calls and email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DPS show Seaton. What's poll question? For the first hour of this program, Paul.
Speaker 3: Sent this one in.
Speaker 4: Would you rather your favorite team or school win the NCAA tournament or would you rather win your bracket contest?
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin, let me ask you, since your team is the two time defending champs, would you rather Ukon won again this year or you won the bracket challenge?
Speaker 5: YU can't won again?
Speaker 2: Okay, Paul. If you're Alma Mater Southern Illinois won the national title, or you won the bracket Challenge.
Speaker 3: I almost had to.
Speaker 6: Take that out because it's so wild to even think of them making the tournament. If I didn't have a dog in the fight, like this year, if a team I like, now you got to take your team if they'd never won it.
Speaker 2: Before, Todd you went to NYU, So there's no chance that that would happen.
Speaker 5: No chance of that happening.
Speaker 7: I'll take winning the bracket challenge even if somehow the Violets got into the tournament then won it all.
Speaker 2: All right, Seaton West virgin Oh, sorry, you're alma mater. If they got into the tournament or you won the bracket challenge, how about Seaton Hall.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty good if Seaton Hall, yeah, I would take my team or school any day, because there really isn't. Winning the bracket Challenge is just as much luck as it is anything else. Two years ago, we had the most unlikely Final Four of all time, and my wife called it yeah, And I can assure you she does not watch any any college basketball whatsoever, and she had it nailed. She was in like the point five percent of the world that had it nailed.
Speaker 2: It's hard to luck into a national championship. It's a little easier to luck into doing well with the bracket challenge. In fact, I always think they the less you know, the better you will perform in the bracket Challenge. But our brackets are in. We're still waiting for a couple of celebrities to get their brackets in as well. But Fritzy, once again is the gatekeeper. Another poll question, what else do you have?
Speaker 4: Well, we got a couple of rule changes that are making well proposed rule changes perhaps that are making some news.
Speaker 2: Let me hold off on that until the next segment, so I have the full fifteen minutes or so to be able to go over everything. And there's some proposals there, they're just proposals. The Lions had one. They're still trying to get rid of the brotherly shove, which I still I'm okay with it. I just say take the guy behind the quarterback out of the play. That's all. So if you want to have a push, the push comes from your quarterback and your offensive line, not some guy who weighs three hundred pounds behind. Jalen Hurts and every other team can do this. It's the ultimate football play from the standpoint of me versus You may not like it. It's predictable, but it is force against force, the immovable object against the irresistible force. I'm okay with it. It may not be esthetically pleasing, and we may not like that the Eagles have mastered it. Every other team can do the same thing. Yes, see, I feel exactly the same way. To me.
Speaker 4: It's like the exact, almost very definition of a football play. However, we've had at least a coach or two on I forget exactly who it was who was like, does not football is rugby? We don't play rugby, We play football. I hate that play. It's not a football play. Maybe it's Bill Coward it might have been, I'm not sure. So then that made me rethink everything that I thought, like, oh, that's not a football play.
Speaker 2: What well, there are probably football plays that aren't football plays if you're looking at a true definition here. But it's I got the ball. I'm telling you what I'm doing and you can't stop me. I love that, And yes, the Eagles have mastered it. If the Bills have mastered it, they might have gone to the super Bowl. Nobody else has mastered it. But I'm okay with that, but they're still trying to get rid of it. Magic Johnson was on a podcast. He's on Byron Scott's podcast, and it's that time of the year where people are making their decisions or giving their opinions on who should be winning awards in the NBA. And the hot topic appears to be, even though I think the race is over, is Joker versus shake Guilties Alexander. Here's Magic Johnson on Byron Scott's podcast.
Speaker 8: Best Player in Basketball Right Now, and he reads situations and defense as well. His basketball IQ is off the charge. Yeah, and then he beats you because he's off rhythm. He's not one of the best yet, but he is up there. And the only thing he can't do like Kareem could do is dominate on both hims. Right, That's what was missing for him because he's not a big shot blocker. He's a little bit yeah to a certain extent. Yeah, he's the best player in the league.
Speaker 2: So that's Magic on Byron Scott's fast Break podcast, and he puts it into context because he's comparing him to one of the greatest centers, one of the greatest players of all time. In Kareem and no, Jokic is not a shot blocker. But here's a stat that is rarely brought up. And to be honest, when you talk about players, how many MVP were great defenders? Good defenders. When's the last time somebody said, man, that's Shay gilg is Alexander, he can lock you up. I haven't heard it. And but I don't think that should factor in. If you're really good, your unbelievable score. I do believe he's unstoppable. Your team is playing great, he's going to win the MVP. There was a real push for him last year. But here's the thing that is not brought up. A defensive rebound. It's called a defensive rebound. And who is third in the NBA. It's Jokic. So he's third in rebounding and third in defensive rebounding. That's a defensive stat that's rarely brought up. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson they quote unquote they played the passing lianes. That didn't mean they played defense, because you can't play the passing lanes unless you kind of slough off your player. I don't know if Sga is a great defender. Maybe he is, But it feels like we're picking and choosing, and this came up with Joker, with Joel Embiid. Yeah, but Joker doesn't play good defense. Defensive rebounds is still a stat and it's rarely brought up. Larry Bird didn't play defense. I don't know too many people back then who go, yeah, but Larry can't play defense. Okay, Magic couldn't play defense. Kobe played defense because Michael Jordan played defense. I mean, how many MVPs were like Michael Jordan. They could beat you at both ends of the floor. I don't know if Carl Malone was a great defender. I think he was on the first or second team All Defensive Team. But we do get caught up, you know, and we'll say this about MVPs in baseball. Yeah, but he's not a real good fielder. Okay, so we kind of pick and choose. You can use it against somebody, you can use it for somebody. But and Magic putting it in context there that he's not Kareem and how many players are Kareem Jokich is gonna be one of the great He should probably have four MVPs and could be on the cusp of a fifth one. I mean, just let that sink in. That doesn't happen. But he is clearly the best player. That doesn't mean he's the most valuable player, and that's why it will go to Shay Gilgis Alexander Junior. The third.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul jokicch currently is the only center in the NBA averaging more than one and a half steals per game. And the thing about him not blocking shots blocking shots? These days, people don't take it to the lane like they used to. There's not challenges to the basket like he used to. There's I would bet there's so many fewer chances to block shots in this NBA because everyone's jack and threes that rim protectors might be the least important thing in the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you have you know, the stifled tower. Uh, you know, that's what he does. He plays, you know, as a rim protector, but his role is overrated because how much of the game is being a rim protector. Wembn Yama is the best defensive player in the game, and it's not even close. He can guard you inside outside, he can stand inside and guards you outside. He's that great. But when it comes to who's the best defensive player who's won the MVP. I mean, if you run down the list of great defensive players, keem Elijah Wan was a spectacular defensive player. I think he's the all time steals leader maybe is that sound right? Or he's up there in that category. Block shots as well, yes, Marvin, Yes, block shots? Yeah, what about steals for a keem?
Speaker 5: I know John Stockton's first, but I'll take a look.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, Stockton put up numbers that are crazy, like the assist total, that's almost like EMITTT Smith his rushing total. It's just going to be there.
Speaker 6: Yes, Boulie ha keem Elijauan is tenth all time and steals in NBA history and he's the only person over six ten in the top twenty.
Speaker 2: It's amazing he's under Oh the stat of.
Speaker 5: The day here comes that?
Speaker 2: What what day? Brought to you by Panini America. Two time Defensive Player of the Year for a kim Olajuan. Yes, Seat O'Connor.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you look at Victor Wimbanyama, he had uh, let's see in twenty twenty three, twenty four, he had two hundred and fifty four block shots in the season. You really you gotta go back in twenty fifteen with Hassan Whiteside, he had two sixty nine.
Speaker 3: You gotta go back to Marcus Camby after that.
Speaker 4: Uh, But then there is a massive The numbers all stay kind of about the same until you go all the way back to the.
Speaker 3: Nineties and to Kenbe Matumbo.
Speaker 4: He was putting up like three thirty two, three forty two, three thirty six, three twenty one year after year after year. Matumbo, Uh was just killing him. And right before that was a LaJuan.
Speaker 2: Nothing in my house, bud Di Kembe was one dimensional, like he would rebound in block shots. You're asking Joker to play the other end when Benyama to play the other end. And I think, now, look, I love watching Joker and I think he's the best player in the game by far. But I do understand this meritocracy where the voters will go we kind of run out of things to say about Joker. How about SGA great and it's a great story, and Oklahoma City has proved to be legitimate, and I hope they do. I don't want this to happen. They don't get to the Western Conference finals because then you'll have people saying, nah, I never should have give him the MVP. Yeah, it's the regular season awards. Like Lamar Jackson, I want him to do well in the postseason, so we don't say, yeah, well, we want it in the regular season, just not a postseason performer. Peyton Manning went through this as well. Aaron Rodgers is oh Man fourteen minutes in and I mentioned Aaron Rodgers like, oh, dang it, dang it, I'm bad, Sorry about that. No. I mentioned it earlier when I said we were having Diana Rossini on to talk about the Vikings and their opinion of Aaron Rodgers. All right, so we'll settle on a pull question. We'll talk about some of these NFL rule proposals. The Lions have one that is interesting and I'm kind of on the fence, and I reached out to Mike Florio and I said, should I like this rule or not? And Florio sent me a response back where he didn't mince words. Have that for you coming up, and hope you get involved in the bracket challenge. We'll talk some football coming up next back after this on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course it's the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show. Just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We'll get to your phone calls coming up aged seven to seven three DP show. It's that time of the year when teams can make proposals for the league's competition Committee to talk about, and there was one that caught our eye earlier this morning, and it has to do with well, here's the proposal. This was submitted by the Detroit Lions. The division winner with the conference's best record would receive the number one overall seed, but after that teams would be stacked by records, regardless of whether they won their division or received a wild card berth. So, if you apply that to last year, the Lions went fifteen and two, the Vikings fourteen and three, Packers eleven and six. The Lions got the number one seed, but the Vikings were the fifth seed the Packers were the seventh seed. So based purely on records, the Vikings would be up to three. With the new proposal, the Packers would be six up to five. Here I reached out to Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk and he said that he thinks it undermines the division championship, and if they're going to be seeding based on total record, they need to re format this schedule so there'd be more games against other teams from the conference. And he says, almost like the Big Ten when there were actually ten teams, everybody plays everybody else, and the team with the best record wins the Big Ten. Florio goes on to say there's no point in having divisions if the division winner only gets in the playoffs. He also says one point that they were making on Pro Football Talk earlier this morning, maybe have a minimum number of wins required for a divisional winner to have an automatic home game. That interest me. Let's say you have to have at least ten wins to host a playoff game. I'm okay with that. You want to recede after the first round, Like, I'm open to all of these conversations, because I think you always have to be open. What can make the game better? Do we punish the Vikings they had the second best record, but then we're going to make them the fifth seed in the NFC. And the Lions are proposing this because probably the NFC North is so stacked, and the Bears are going to get better as well, and you might have this log jam again. But that's the proposal by the Lions. And then Florio's response is, how about we just make a minimum requirement to host a playoff game? And you know, you always think back to Seattle when Seattle was what seven and nine, and then they host a playoff game against the Saints and everybody was up in arms, but they won their division.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, this is a tough one because reading through the rule last year, the Rams at ten and seven would now drop in the seatings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers at ten and seven would drop in the seatings. And Flora's point about de emphasizing winning your division really sticks out because at first I was like, of course, you should reward the team with more wins. Where if it came to a vote, I'm not sure what the NFL would do on this one.
Speaker 2: Well, they probably wouldn't change anything, but they'd like discussing. They like, you know, almost giving you that hey, full transparency, just letting you know some the things that we're thinking about. And therefore it feels like you're in it with the NFL instead of them coming out and saying, guess what we've changed a rule here. You kind of want to have that discussion or opportunity to discuss and then maybe they vote on it at some point. It's like, you know, the brotherly shove, it just keeps coming up. It feels like it's not leaving. The Packers brought this up again that they would like to get rid of the rule. Let me play for you. Bill Cower, the Hall of Fame coach who joined us to talk about the brotherly shove, right, I can tell by the grimacing of your face that you're not big on the brotherly shove here. I'm not.
Speaker 11: It's not a football play. It's rugby. They called a scrub. I mean that's what it is. Dan, It's called the way it is. It's a scrub. I mean you're pushing people and pushing them over. I mean, listen, it's just a quarterback snake. I get it. But it becomes like a pushing in the back and it's a scrum and I don't know, it's not a strategical play.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I understand it. And that's from a coaching perspective. Stop it. I mean that would that'd be my advice to all of these teams. You can run it yourself, but figure out a way to stop it. Although JJ Watt joined us a couple of weeks ago and he said, you can't stop it. This is a three time defensive Player of the Year. Because I said, what would you say to the commissioner about that play? And he said, I would tell him you can't stop it. I understand it, but it is I think the Eagles would be just as successful with a quarterback sneak. You don't have to have somebody behind Jalen Hurts in my opinion on that team, that line and the fact that Jalen Hurts is probably as strong as any quarterback in the NFL legwise, So you get that guy. I mean he can squat what six hundred pounds something crazy, So you have that low to the ground, that offensive line, They're still going to be successful. And I would love to see that just so people would say, well, we need to out while the quarterback sneak. It's the Eagles have mastered something. I'm fine with that. It's like you could have had the same defense that the Steelers played the Steel Curtain. You could have had the same defense that the New York Giants with lt play. You can do all of those things. That's the beauty of football. The question is do you have the personnel. Do you have the personnel to have a great offensive line to be able to have that initial push and then you bring Jalen Hurts in behind? You're not going to stop that. I have a problem with the person who's blocking pushing Jalen Hurts from behind. All right, a couple of phone calls in here, and let's see Andrew in Washington. Hi, Andrew, welcome back. What do you have for me?
Speaker 12: Good morning, Dan Dennett, Thanks for taking my call. We've talked about Aaron Rodgers pretty much all week long, but I don't really even.
Speaker 13: Think he'll be in camp.
Speaker 12: Before OTA's last year, he had an excuse absence from the Jets, so I think that that might already be determined. Why would he sign with the team then have all the pressure to actually go to all their events before the season starts. So that was my thought on that. I do have a really quick stat of the day. Cade Cunningham joined only two other NBA players in NBA history, Oscar Roberson and Luka Doncik, that through their first two hundred games, have forty three hundred points one thousand rebounds and fourteen hundred desists. That's your stat of the day.
Speaker 4: Woooo, stall of a day, Stall of a day, Statuta day, style.
Speaker 2: Of a day.
Speaker 3: This is the style of the.
Speaker 2: Day watch you by Panini America. Green Bay is seeking to amend Rule twelve, Section one of the rule book, which pertains to blocking and the use of hands and arms. The Packers proposal to prohibit an offensive player from pushing a teammate who was lined up directly behind the snap and receives the snap immediately at this snap. Yeah, take that out. I don't have any problem with that, But while it's in, you got to deal with it with the Eagles, and they mastered it. Go back to the Buffalo Bills against the Chiefs. Would they have to get a yard? If they get the yard, they probably are in the Super Bowl? Yes, Bohm.
Speaker 6: Do you think the Packers proposal is too targeted at the Eagles? What I mean is if they just proposed no more pushing any ball carrier anywhere on the field back like it was before two thousand and five, it would be as pointed at the Eagle success.
Speaker 2: Well, there are times when you'll see a running back and he is in a big pile. You know, the pile is moving, and then offensive linemen come from behind and then start to push him and you might get five more yards out of that. I don't know how technical, how detailed that the NFL wants to get with this, but I would take it out. They don't have injury data that backs this up to take it out of the game. If they did, then it would be easy. They'd just say, hey, you know, it's not a safe play. And I you know, when I saw Chris Jones lining up trying to stop the Eagles and he's lined up to the side and then he hurts his neck, Well, doesn't take a genius to realize why he got hurt. They just basically used his neck as a turnstile here and he got hurt. But it's not one of those where they go look at all the data. Man, there are a lot of guys getting hurt here. I think their feelings are getting hurt. I don't know if that shows up on the injury list. Let me go back to Joker here. Just got some more stats just because Magic Johnson said, you know, he doesn't play defense. He's not like Kareem, which he's not. But here's his stat for you. Players with six hundred defensive rebounds at least one hundred steals in a season since twenty nineteen, those would be defensive stats defensive rebounds and steels. Number one This year is Joker. Last year was Joker, the year before that was Joker. So can we dispel this notion that he doesn't play now? Does he play on ball defense? Ben Wallace is one of the great defensive players of all time. Players would tell you he's not stopping you on ball. He was an unbelievable helper. But as far as on ball defender, how many great on ball defenders are also among the league leaders in scoring. Did anybody ever say, you know, but Iverson doesn't play defense. It's silly, but this is where we are when it comes to arguing these situations. Yes, Marvin, I think the nitpicking. That's when you start going to this guy didn't play defense. This guy didn't play defense like Iverson. He played the passing lianes better than anybody just because he was so quick.
Speaker 5: But he got.
Speaker 14: Burned a ton or people didn't care because he needed to score thirty five points a game for the Sixers to win, I have.
Speaker 2: A joker needs to score. He needs to have eleven assist a game. He needs to have fifteen rebounds a game. You have to fill up the categories that your team needs you to fill up. Iverson went out there every single night, and I have so much respect for you know, Kobe and Mike every single night. You got to stop me every single night. You're geared to stop me, but you're not going to stop me. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think maybe Alan Iverson a little underrated as far as defense.
Speaker 3: He is in the Big East.
Speaker 4: He was defensive player of the Year twice as a freshman and a sophomore. And then you know, I think steals. He led the league in steals a bunch of years too, you know, but you just don't think about that part of his game. You think about his handles and crossing people up.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like Patrick Ewing when he was in college was probably only rivaled by Bill Russell. We didn't even know if he could hit the fifteen foot jumper because John Thompson didn't let him take the fifteenth footter. He goes into the NBA, nobody talked about his defense. I don't know if he was ever Defensive Player of the Year or First Team All Defense, but he was one of the greatest defensive players, most intimidating defensive players of all time. It's fun but once again, just like sort through the clutter. SGA will win the MVP this year and good for him. Uh Patrick in Rochester, Good morning Patrick.
Speaker 13: Hi Dan, first time caller, relatively listener as of last year, five nine one sixty, big big Syracuse basketball fan. But honor the tournament today or with the tournament today. Obviously my orange are not in it, but I'm still excited to watch. But that takes me to my stat of the day, which I would like to request.
Speaker 2: The new cool.
Speaker 13: In the gang likes thatat of the Day song. That's really I like that one, So I'd like to request that if possible. And my sat of the day is that the class the graduating class of twenty twenty five at Syracuse will be the first graduating class to never see the men's team make the NCAA tournament and they're four years there. In nineteen seventy two, you.
Speaker 2: Got a stat of the day, Marvin Day.
Speaker 12: Start of the day, stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Wait, aren't you taking request here?
Speaker 14: No, I couldn't find it. Oh, it wasn't find It wasn't on the tip of my well.
Speaker 2: It should be there, it should be loaded, ready to go. It's a great.
Speaker 5: So you want to keep that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay O give me Pandora, give me, give me, give me a let's set the mood here today.
Speaker 3: See he's stat of the day.
Speaker 2: Stata, j stat of the Jay.
Speaker 3: We love you.
Speaker 2: Stata, the day stand of the j Stanta, the j.
Speaker 4: Oh damn give us stand of the day Stanta, the ja.
Speaker 2: Oh. I find myself singing that occasionally sounds like a car breaking down.
Speaker 4: No, I mean no offense to Pandora, of course, no offense to Pandora.
Speaker 3: We just it's not it for me.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Sorry, Yes, boy.
Speaker 3: By the way, that's stat that guy gave.
Speaker 6: It's kind of nuts. Half the people who attend Syracuse go there for the basketball tickets. I would assume it's like if you go to Alabama, you're like, oh, we're going to the playoffs. At least every other year. Syracuse hasn't made the tourney in four years. That's nuts.
Speaker 2: Are they a football school question? No? No, Jake and Mill whoa Jake and Milwaukee. Hi, Jake, Hey.
Speaker 9: Dan, thanks for taking my calls. Probably not the Jake and Milwaukee. You're thinking a lot.
Speaker 2: Different. But I have a.
Speaker 9: Question and then also a request, and hopefully Marvin can deliver on this one. But so also I am a gym teacher, by the way, and kindergarten through eighth grade and all my classes. I'll have the projector up. We'll be watching the tournament. But my question is, I don't know if you saw the Spurs that I'm not even gonna try to pronounce his name, the guy who had thirty five points in nineteen minutes last night. My question is a is that even impressive anymore in today's NBA? And then my request is can you go around the room and maybe have the Dan at so you can pronounce his name the best? But thank you and happy tournament.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you? I asked Seaton, I said, do you know how to pronounce this guy from the Spurs name? He went to Seaton Hall, which is your favorite college basketball team? Uh? His name? And Seaton goes, yeah, Sandro, I said, that's his first name.
Speaker 3: It's actually Sandro Sondra.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Alex Sandro. He had thirty four points in under twenty minutes. So I said to Marvin, where have I heard the name before? He said, he was the Big East player of the year a couple of years ago at Seaton Hall. Do you know how to pronounce his last name? Marvin, I'll start with you. By the way, the spelling is m A m u k e l A s h v I l I about.
Speaker 5: I don't even want to disrespect this man right after a big night like that.
Speaker 14: My move.
Speaker 5: I'm not even gonna attempt you.
Speaker 2: You're so far. You started out great, Yeah, you'd okay, you got the mo Ma ma yep, that's what mark mood abdul Rahu.
Speaker 5: That's where I'm gonna stop at.
Speaker 4: The names like that A lot of times, if you just follow the way it's set, it's said exactly the way it looks.
Speaker 3: I think, Mamu kelishvili.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, hm mamush mamu kelish villi, mamu kelsh villi. It's exactly how it looks. You just have to kind of like break it down. I think, slow it down, Yeah, Ma, MoU, we get down kel Ashvilli. Thirty four points and under twenty minutes. Of play is the Spurs beat the Knicks. He's the first player in NBA history to score thirty four points in under twenty minutes of play. Wow. The previous mark was Jalen Brown at thirty three in under twenty minutes against the Kavali. Are you trying to tell me Wilt Chamberlain never had more than thirty four points in twenty minutes of play. Let's get some of our best people on that. All right, let me take a break. Play of the day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six say am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. In the iHeartRadio wap, Oh my God, the play of the.
Speaker 2: Dayt God, this is the play of the day.
Speaker 15: Check this out, you pleas the leabout or Xavier Hick guy on the rock left the rights, pulls off the powelot check out huglay right slot pray good John lay the little U six eleven drafts gutting off the bench, get against tips because Zach Preemantle has Boord bows. HiT's a play to give Xavier at first lead SI ticks.
Speaker 2: Ten to nine. That's courtesy of Westwood One. The Xavier bench six for eleven from three point range to help the Musketeers with a thirteen point comeback, John Hughglee. Maybe no relation to deal, Hughley. That is your play of the day. Play the Day brought you by tire rack dot Com. The Way Tire Buying should be the official Tire Expert DP show, full lineup of Goodyear tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire ac dot Com The Way Tire Buying Should Be Poll results if you can seating for the first forty five forty seven minutes of the program.
Speaker 4: Yeah we got up there. The Brotherly Show Football play Rugby play right now? Sixty two percent of the audience say it's a rugby play.
Speaker 13: M hmm.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's here for a little while, but it still feels like they're I think they're just trying to canvass the room to go do I got I have a second here? Can somebody help?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: When you're voting and you're at a town hall meeting, can I get a second third? You just want to build up a little bit of momentum there. John in Rochester, Hi, John WIT's on your mind today, Dan.
Speaker 16: What's going on? First time long time sixty one two fifty solid solid. I got a comment for you about this push push situation.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's happen. Is that your gun?
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, No, listen, you can't outlaw that. You can't outlaw this play. The only thing you can do is, like you said before, is put a rule in you can't aid the runner at any time.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 16: It's a football play. I don't care who you are, rugby play, whatever you think it is, stop it. The only thing you can do is make a rule you cannot physically aid the runner.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 2: But you would be outlawing the rule if you do that the play, I mean, you're you're you're essentially taking away what is the push tush or tush push?
Speaker 6: Yes, the NFL does this every couple of years. A guy jumps over the center. They outlaw that a guy hits the long snapper to get in the backfield. They outlaw that a guy hits a quarterback at the knees, the outlaw of that. The NFL is almost likely to do it this.
Speaker 2: But you just mentioned a couple of key things there. All defensive players, defensive plays. Ooh, we want to get those out of the game. This is an offensive play.
Speaker 15: I like it.
Speaker 2: I mean, once again, it's really simple. Take away the blocker from the back and that's it. The meetings for the NFL will be March thirtieth through April second at Palm Beach, Florida. By the way, let's see what do we have here. Oh, I was watching the Dodgers game yesterday. Rodney Pete, former USC quarterback, Detroit Lions quarterback, he's at the game and he brought his glove with him to Japan, and I think he got involved in a foul balls like a Bartman situation. Now, I don't know if you know. The Japanese media jumped all over this and he has to go into hiding. But yes, Todd, it was in the sixth.
Speaker 7: Inning and down the third baseline call, Munsey's trying to make a catch and there's Rodney Pete in a Dodger's hoodie, and according to Munsey, I guess Pete got in the way, but we all looked like Munsey didn't catch the ball, that he was catchable, and then Pete's glove was like under Munsey's glove and kind of bailed Munsey out in the way he didn't like keep Munchy from catching the ball. And the reason he's there is his son's a clubhouse assistant, Rodney Pea's son.
Speaker 5: That's why he's out there in Japan.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, his son has been with the Dodgers as a klubby for quite some time. Great story, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 6: A lot of people were asking that did Roddy Pete on a twenty hour flight bring his glove in his carry on bag? So Holly Robinson Pete, the actress, she said he did not bring the glove. In this section on the baselines, there were gloves and helmets for people to keep and take like souvenirs. So you got a glove at your seat when you entered your seat in this section.
Speaker 2: And a helmet. Yes, a lot of people will get a protective helmet. Yes.
Speaker 6: In Japan at people up and down the third and first baseline wear helmets to protect themselves, even above the netting are especially above the netting.
Speaker 2: Us. Okay, all right, so he did not b yog. Okay, well the sun probably got him one. Yes, I'm good a guess. Let me see Larry and Michigan. Hi, Larry, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 17: Hey, Dan, first time caller, longtime listener sixty one. I got a stat about Tom Izzo and the Michigan State Spartans. Everybody's feeling great about them this year. Did you know that they were the first team to win their conference by three or more games without a first or second team All Conference performer.
Speaker 2: I did know that, but then I don't have a life. But thank you Larry for letting the audience know. Michigan State now Michigan State. How many? How many top ten draft picks has Michigan State had? Let's take magic out of this. There was Greg Kelser. Jay Vincent played there. I don't I think he was maybe a top fifteen pick by Dallas, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: I think Jaron Jackson Junior was the top five pick.
Speaker 2: Third pick overall.
Speaker 6: Maybe, yes, PAULI, Yeah, there is about Sean Respert. He was a eighth pick in nineteen ninety five. Johnny Green in nineteen fifty nine was a sixth pick.
Speaker 2: Jason Richardson jumping Johnny Green. Johnny Green for the Cincinnati Royals.
Speaker 6: Jason Richards in two thousand and one, fifth pick with Golden State. Steve Smith nineteen ninety one was a fifth overall pick and like you guys said magic, Greg Kelser, Jaron Jackson Jr.
Speaker 2: Okay, all righty Duke in Boise, Hi, Duke, what's on your mind? Hey?
Speaker 18: I have a potential poll question for you guys. You know, first day of the actual tournament. Jalen Rose. I don't know if anyone see him on TNT, but he's got the part in his hair that's shaved in. The question is did Capital One sponsor that? Did he lose a bet like their version of pie to the face or is it just an accident? That's all I got.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed wow wow, No, because they did talk to him about that little line in his head. I don't know her hair. I don't know what it's called, but he had some name for it, even shouted out the barber I think in Atlanta. I don't think it was an accident. I think he's pretty proud of that. Phil and Iowa Hi, Phil.
Speaker 16: I guess five was calling in with Sandro's last name pronunciation.
Speaker 12: I believe it's Ma Mukata Javili and also had a request for Seaton.
Speaker 2: Can we get to Jamie jossa stat of the day Kate Reed dropped every once in a while. Man, we haven't heard that one forever. All right, Phil, I'll tell Marvin. Let's get on that for next hour. Yes, yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't do that anymore, so Marvin will take care of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marvin's at the controls. Blame Marvin. Get an update on Aaron Rodgers coming up next hour. More of your phone calls as well. One hour in the Books on this Thursday,