Speaker 1: All media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert here and the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences have announced that three different Cool Zone media shows have been nominated for awards at the thirtieth annual Webby Awards. You can vote on these now if you just google the name of the podcast and the category. Behind the Bastards nominated in the Experimental and Innovation Podcasts category. It Could Happen Here is in the News and Politics Podcasts category, and James Stout's mini series Migrating to America A Dream Worth Dying For has been nominated in the Podcasts Documentary category. And you can find links to vote for each of these podcasts in the episode description and in the posts on social media for episodes that It Could Happen Here and Behind the Bastards, Thank you. Welcome back to Behind the Bastards, a podcast about the very worst people in all of history. I'm Robert Evans.
Speaker 3: What were you saying?
Speaker 1: I couldn't hear you.
Speaker 4: I was just so this book.
Speaker 2: Oh is that a copy of Girl Gone Wild by Courtney Cosak? Oh man, I'm excited to read that myself. I wish we could get Courtney on the show.
Speaker 4: I'm here I'm here.
Speaker 2: Oh. I probably could have told that by looking at my screen at any point in time, but I never do. Welcome to the podcast, Courtney. How are you doing today?
Speaker 4: I'm good. Thank you for having me excited to be back.
Speaker 2: So your book is coming out.
Speaker 4: That's exciting, it's exciting, it's nerve wracking. Yeah, it's all the things. It's really great.
Speaker 3: So I haven't finished it yet, but it's really good so far.
Speaker 2: You want to up top here plug what your book is before we get into the subject of our episodes for this in next week.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It is an unwitting feminist coming of age about trying to make it in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: It's called Girl Gone Wild.
Speaker 5: It's about all the mistakes quote unquote I've made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and about like your time working for Girls Gone Wild, which you've talked about on our show a couple of times in the past, and unfortunately it's gonna be kind of relevant to these episodes. Do you know who we're doing this week?
Speaker 4: Did Sophie inform you no.
Speaker 2: No good good? What do you know about Jimmy Savill? Oh?
Speaker 5: Okay, vaguely, I thought you were about to say Joe Francis.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, no, I was not saying anything about Joe Francis, but we're talking about Jimmy Saville, who was a I mean he was everything in UK pop culture for quite a while, right, Like he started out as a DJ, he became like a television star and he was ultimately just famous for being extremely famous and being the guy who was like always on TV if you grew up in the UK from like really the mid seventies up through the late nineties, Like he was the face of the BBC. Do you know anything about this guy?
Speaker 4: Is he raunch?
Speaker 5: The first thing that came to mind was like the stories about you know, Robert Plant Sticking or Jimmy Page.
Speaker 4: But did he have any connection with those bands?
Speaker 2: Yes, he was connected to every band that was big in the sixties and seventies, pretty much like there are very few major pop musicians from that, Like I think people tend to call it like the golden era of pop music, of rock and roll and whatnot. There's almost no one that he wasn't connected to, from like Elvis up through the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Like he knew all of those guys, and you know it didn't necessarily wasn't necessarily in good with all of them, but because of his position as like Britain's top DJ, like he was connected to all those dudes. We're hearing some stories about those people, but this guy, Jimmy Saville is probably the number one request I get from British listeners is like, you need to do Jimmy Savell. And I've noticed that Americans tend to be either completely unaware of this guy or they only kind of heard a couple of things, and most of what they heard is that after he died, it came out that he'd been a massive pedophile for years. Right, this is a guy now committed sex crimes on like an industrial scale. He's kind of in some ways, he's kind of like the British Jeffrey Epstein, or at least he's like one of the guys you could accuse of being that. But this is you know, when I first, because I didn't know much about Jimmy Saville, I think I was kind of vaguely aware that he had existed, and then you know, he dies in twenty twelve, it comes out that all there are all these allegations of horrible sex crimes he'd committed. And when I started reading it. Initially, it was always framed as like and no one knew he kept it a secret his whole life. It was this, you know, there was no way anyone could have realized that, like the whole time he was this famous powerbroker in the music industry and and you know British television, he was also abusing women and boys.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And what's really interesting to me is that, like that's all bullshit. It was entirely obvious the whole time, he like bragged about it. There were numerous interviews where he talked about at least aspects of his behavior, Like there actually was never any excuse for people to be surprised that Jimmy Saffle was a massive sex best. I mean, we'll pull up some photos of him later, but I hate to be like, oh, that guy looks like a pedophile, but Jimmy Savile was the most that guy looks like a pedophile pedophile in the history of fucking pedophiles.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can't wait to see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like, I mean, there was so much of that in this era too, Like yep, in Woody Allen films where he's like dating a seventeen year olds or and that's like not even considered bad.
Speaker 2: Well, no, and it's one of the things I will I will be using both the terms like when we talk about what he did, like had sex with, and the terms molested or raped, because it's often unclear. The age of consent in the UK is sixteen, so him having sex with a sixteen year old is not inherently legally rape in the society that he's doing it, right, Like, we can have the opinion it's not that that we have, but that's part of what camouflage is this and at the start of the pop industry there's a lot of people, including probably most of the musicians from this era whose music you like, who had sex with teenage girls, sometimes illegally because there were a lot of twelve thirteen, fourteen year olds got in there, but often very legally because again the age of consent was like sixteen, right, And you know this is there is an element of at the start of his crimes, this was a really different time and the moral values around that were a lot different. Were part of what happens with Jimmy is that the period in which he gets famous and has starts getting access to all these teenage girls is also the period in which birth control becomes like, like particularly the pill becomes normalized. Right. So there's just this explosion in people fucking right that's based on Oh, suddenly, there's no consequences to it. That doesn't really get like curtailed until the AIDS crisis, right. And so part of what's interesting to me is that this is not just a guy who is this This is part of the story here, is this is a guy who kind of comes of age as a famous person during that era where it's really easy for men at a certain level of fame to have access to a lot of teenage girls and quote unquote consequence free. It's not consequence free. There's a lot of people that he harms permanently, but that's the way it's seen widely. And then he has to figure out a way once that era ends and wants his kind of fame as dj in is to continue having access to people of that age, and that's when that's when he goes from a really gross guy in an industry filled with gross guys who all did very similar gross things to a unique kind of predator. Right. And that's the story of Jimmy Sapple. Margaret Thatcher is also heavily involved.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, how old is he in this b side of the story when he gets really creepy, I mean beyond.
Speaker 2: He's pretty creepy the whole time, but like in his it's like in his forties and on that like things start to get really that he gets that he kind of a balls in a unique way. Because a lot of what's interesting to me about this case is that Savile's not just abusive to individuals, and he is, but he he's like he's grooming institutions in including the BBC and most of the major hospitals in the United Kingdom, in order to get access to victims after a certain point. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Yeah, all right, yeah, let's let's start the story. James Wilson Vincent Saville was born on Halloween night, October thirty first and nineteen twenty six, fucking Halloween, like just.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah. His hometown was named consort Terrace, which Wikipedia informs me is in the Burley area of Leeds in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Because for whatever reason, people on that island cannot give normal place names to places like fucking hey, British people here's a town name for you, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania see williams Aras. That's how place name should sound. I don't know what the fuck you guys have been doing over there, but it's not just bitches. Yeah, oh no. He's in the Burley area of Leeds in the West Riding of Yorkshire. To fuck you guys, come on with your JR token bullshit here, get out, give it a normal name. I'm sorry British people, but also I'm not so. In his own autobiography, which was published under both the titles As It Happens and Love Is an Uphill Thing, Jimmy writes, Yeah, Jimmy writes this of his own birth. Some babies are born strong, some weak. Being the youngest of seven, it would appear that my father's last effort was lacking in the juices of strength. Eyewitnesses habit that I was born sound asleep. He's a sickly kid, right, and his family members, people who knew the family around that time, confirmed that he was you know, ill as a child and suffered from regular health problems. He exaggerates these as part of his personal mythos and narrative. For his part, Sapple claims that he nearly died when he was two years old, and was so sick that a priest was brought in to administer last rites while his mother prayed feverishly to a then unconfirmed saint, Margaret Sinclair, and like things were so bad, the doctor just like leaves at one point and says, just tell me when he dies, and I'll fill in the death certificate the rest of the way. I don't want to keep coming back here. At one point, his relatives think that he's actually passed on, and his grandmother does like the old timy thing where you hold a mirror up to his tiny mouth to see if he's breathing. And in his book and in numerous interviews over the years, Saville took great pleasure in delivering the punchline to this joke, which is that as she puts the mirror down, he pisses, hitting his grandmother in the eye, and this story improving He's alive right. This story is a foundational part of the Savile myth, and in his own autobiography he follows it with this very strange passage, hardened by my urinary success of catching my grandmother fair and square, I continued in my infancy to pee on anything or anyone who unwarily came into range. And my first recorded applause were for direct hits on guests, fires, tea tables, priests, and other such targets. I wasn't very popular for a number of years. That's weird. That's just an odd thing to say. It is interesting how early, even in his autobiography when he's you know, he's a children's entertainer and to a major extent, right, but he's he's writing to such an extent about like his penis.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Again, there's a lot of in these in his autobiographies, and the things he'll say, he will tell like eighty or ninety percent of the truth. He doesn't quite go all the way, but you he focuses a lot on stuff to where like people should have known this is a guy with a weird fascination with his penis and like what it's doing. And it'll get a lot more. He'll talk a lot more, obviously about actual at least obviously he's not talking about sex crimes here. But it is weird the degree to which he focuses on this in as he's talking about himself as a two year old now his mother. Jimmy's mother, Agnes, gives a very different account of his infant illness. When she was interviewed in nineteen seventy in Plane Sight by Dan Davies. She recalled the illness struck when Jimmy was two and a half. My oldest daughter had him out in the pram and stopped at a shop, leaving Jimmy outside. He was strapped in but jumped about so much that the pram overturned and the hood caught the back of his neck and severed one of the muscles. And that's a completely different story. He's not like a sick kid who's dying and you in bed or whatever. He's like a kid who has an injury, a pretty normal kind of injury. Pram falls over and he gets a muscle that's severed, and the injury heals badly. Jimmy can't sit up or properly shut his eyes for six months, even while sleeping. He was admitted to the hospital. Yeah, it's really a scary thing if you're the parents he's admitted to the hospital, who are like, we don't really know what to do. You know, there might be we could try surgery, but we don't know if that'll actually work, and his family says, no, we don't want to like risk that. On the way back from the hospital, Agnes stops briefly to pray at a cathedral, and then later that day, Jimmy goes to sleep and closes his eyes, which initially I verifies the family because they think he's died because he hadn't been closing his eyes. But he was actually fine. The injury had just finally healed. Right. That's a much less dramatic story, where like in we all we were clustered around. Then they put the mirror up to see if he was still breathing. No, he had a weird injury and they were scared because when he closed his eyes they thought he was dead, but he was.
Speaker 4: So it's not both. It's one was a lie and the.
Speaker 2: One is a lie.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I can't think of why Agnes would have lied about this. I can think of a lot of reasons why Jimmy would. Now. Agnes did later write to the Catholic Church urging for the beatification of Margaret Sinclair. But again, this is just a very different story. His family was very poor growing up, although not unusually, they were like the normal level of poor for the town that they lived in. So it's not like he was the poor kid in town and had to watch all of these other kids who had more. It was this is England in like the twenties and thirties, and he lives in like the north, in a mining town. Everybody's broke, nobody has money. Then yeah, now again, he was the youngest of seven and he was an accident. His mom's like forty when she has him, which is I mean, that's an old pregnancy today, especially in like the twenties, that's fairly uncommon. And he was dubbed. He claims the family's not again child. That's the term he uses of like they were like, ah, this was we really can't ever let this happen again. And he's going to grow up with a chip on his shoulder about this. He was never very close to most of his older siblings, and he will later become a mama's boy in a deeply weird way. We're not really going to talk about it enough in these episodes, but he's like veering towards Patrick Bates levels of like very strange mom issues. But initially he feels like he's ignored, like he doesn't get a lot of attention, And he'll write about this both as if it frustrated him, and also he'll talk about like, and I really like that because I'm a loner and this really worked out for me. I like not getting a lot of attention. I can't tell which is coping and which is the truth. That said, his other family members don't seem to agree that he was ignored and not given a lot of attention. His sister Joan actually says that she and the rest of the family consider Jimmy their miracle baby, and that he was kind of fond over by all of his older siblings and everyone else in the family because he'd had health issues as a kid. Right, And Davies points out in his book about Savel that while Saville preferred to portray himself as the not again baby, as this kid that wasn't wanted and was kind of ignored, his family insists that he was treated as the miracle child, the chosen one, right, which makes a lot more sense based on his subsequent behavior.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some people cannot get enough attention, Like there's no an endless hole.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting to me that he feels a need to like lie about this, to complain, to be like, oh, and they didn't even really they want me. You know, I had to deal with the fact that I didn't really belong, whereas his family's like, no, we were obsessed with him because he nearly died. Now. Jimmy's father, Vince, was a tall and gangly man who never made a lot of money, but was employed consistently and seems to have been like a pretty responsible parent, although not necessarily in a what you'd call the reputable industry. His boss was the town bookie, a guy named jim Windsor, who young Jimmy seems to have grown up admiring Windsor wants bragged to a newspaper that he'd been arrested once a year for twenty years. So his dad's he's Jimmy grows up connected to at least a low level organized crime. You know. This guy is running like numbers, rackets and stuff, and his dad is kind of his gopher. But his dad's also not a big wig. His dad is handling like very basic jobs for this guy, like he's so Jimmy sees this dude who is like kind of the patron of the family who is a criminal and who's doing really really well. But his dad's never doing really well. His dad's just.
Speaker 4: Kind of windsor like house of like royalty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, he's not royal. It's just also a name Windsor I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I was like British windsor the Queen's Corgies. What's happening.
Speaker 2: No, he's not. There will be royal family connections later, but not at this stage. This is just a guy with that last name.
Speaker 3: Got it, got it, got it my bad.
Speaker 2: So from the jump, Jimmy grows up close to and comfortable with some of the more mainstream elements of organized crime in his society, and he probably grows up aware that, like, the people who do best are the people who are willing to break the rules. And because my dad is kind of scared of going too far, we never had a lots as opposed to his boss. Right, it was a bolder man was willing to commit crimes and get arrested. So the family is like working, lower middle class, but he does get to see how the big shots do, and he kind of comes to want that for himself. Now, despite the fact that Jimmy often portrays his family as being quite poor and like unusually poor. It's noted by people who knew them that Agnes actually like the family owns an unusually large home. His mom makes them buy a larger home than they can really afford, so like a lot of the rooms are kind of empty. I think because she wants a big nice house is like a status symbol, right, so she has to budget really carefully. But they're able to afford the house, so they're doing okay. He goes to school.
Speaker 5: I was gonna ask you if they lived in one of those council estates.
Speaker 4: But no, not, no, they're not that poor.
Speaker 2: No, they're not that poor. They're certainly not the bottom rung in terms of like poverty. They're not like comfortable, I wouldn't say, but they're getting by. And even though this house is kind of bigger than they could afford, his mom is really good with stretching their money and he's able to like, they're able to afford it. And this is kind of he becomes like a hand me down kid. He's known in town. Is like he does he never no one ever buys clothes for Jimmy. He wears all of his older siblings clothes, which a lot of people you know, grew up with that experience. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He goes to school in town, and the main method of discipline in Jimmy's era and the place where he's going to school, is that the headmaster will beat you with a bamboo cane if you're bad. This is not again weird for the time, but ow but ow. Because Jimmy is so sickly, he qualifies for free milk and a free spoonful of malt at school each day, which I think I think they're trying to help him avoid getting rickets. I think that's why they get him a spoonful of malt. I forget exactly why got in town.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, that's a very.
Speaker 2: Like twenties thirties thing, right, the sick kids get free milk and malt. This is also something he writes and talks about constantly because it reinforces his underdog narrative. Agnes drove the family and they were with Agnes is like the wearing the pants in the household. Right. His dad is a very retiring and kind of shy figure. He's gonna die much earlier than Agnes, and she is She's the force to be reckoned with. They are extremely Catholic. Jimmy Saville is raised Catholic and is a hardcore Catholic his entire life. They almost never miss Mass, and she makes sure that even with the family budget as tight as it was, they always have money to put in the collection plate for arguably the wealthiest institution in human history at the time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Catholic Church couldn't have gone by without that tuppence that you dust in there. They wouldn't have been able to afford to move all those priests to our molesting kids to different places so they can molest more kids. Of his mom's faith, Saville said she was an old fashioned religioso. She went to Mass because she had a guilty conscience. Now that's interesting to me because he'll emphasize this a lot, guilty over what. Now we don't know. He never says. This is one of a number of very vague, never directly stated bits of Jimmy lore that could be seen as supporting the idea. Some people have suggested that he was probably molested as a child. There's not evidence of this. He never talked about it. I've never heard anyone come up with any like clear factual allegations based on a firsthand narrative that he was molested. However, he has a deeply weird relationship with his mom, and he goes on to molest hundreds and hundreds and hundreds, potentially thousands of kids. So people naturally wonder, was Jimmy a victim has himself? Now, I don't have a satisfying answer on this. This is going to be one of those things where I just have to shrug and say, like, I don't know. But he is like he never has a long term relationship with an adult woman in his entire life. He never has a real girlfriend, he never gets married. I don't think think he's ever close to having a long term relationship with a woman other than his mom, who he will like go on dates with and hang out with as a young man, like he she is like he's a major part of his social life while he is like famous in the early years of fame to an extent that a lot of people have wondered, was it did something go on there? And I could I will tell you people wonder that I don't have any evidence. I'm not aware of any evidence. It's just kind of a thing people wonder because his relationship with his mom.
Speaker 5: He romanticized him in some way, like that's kind of damaging enough.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it may not have involved actual molestation. Sorry I cut you off. Yeah, no, there's no priest, not that we know of. Like, obviously there are priests who were around the area he grew up in who molested kids, because that's true everywhere there were Catholic churches, but I haven't there's he never alleges that, and I don't have any and of it, right, so we can ponder this. And obviously it is not uncommon for people who wind up being child molesters who have been molested or to have had like very early traumatic sexual experiences. But that doesn't have to happen for someone to be a child molester. Sometimes people are just child molesters because they suck, right Anyway. His childhood is interrupted by World War II, the Big Dub Dub dose, although not in a way that was particularly traumatizing to him. A lot of British kids in this era have really trauma because they're bombed to rite, kids in London and stuff are getting bombed and hiding in shelters, and he gets a bit of that, but he's in a really good area to avoid. Like the worst of that. He recalls when he was eleven or so and the war started, that he and a bunch of local kids were taken out of the city to this rural camp where they did minor manual labor in order to keep them away from bombs. Basically, it's a long term summer camp where you know, you're working on projects and stuff, you're helping to build things out in the woods, and they're just trying to keep you away from where the Germans are targeting. Now, just based on when things happened, we know Jimmy was thirteen and nineteen thirty nine, so he can't have been eleven when the war started, because that just is doesn't work. One of the difficulties here is Jimmy gives ages for where how old he is when a bunch of different stuff happens. That absolutely cannot be true. And I don't know why he'd lie about it. This may have just been honestly him forgetting, because once you get to a certain age, it's hard to be like, was I ten when that happened? Was I twelve? Like I can't tell for myself on some things that happened to me.
Speaker 4: Check your damn memoir though.
Speaker 2: Come yeah, yeah, yeah, but it is a little you do have to like kind of go back and be like, no, he couldn't have been eleven. He was thirteen. We know when he was fucking born, right, he wouldn't have been worried about getting bombed by the Germans in nineteen thirty seven. That would have been crazy, and they had started bombing the UK in nineteen thirty nine. But I can believe that, you know, maybe that like that era, they were getting worried about it and stuff. So anyway, whatever, how, whatever age he is when he gets to this fucking summer camp, he's only there for a few months before his parents borrow a car to visit him. I think he's there for like six months, and then they come to visit him, and his mom sees that his camp where he's camping is directly underneath like a massive gasoline tank, and she's like, well, fuck, he could get blown up here. I'm not gonna let him. Just all take him home, right. I feel like the odds aren't any worse that he gets blown up in leads than sitting underneath his gas tank. So his mom takes him back home, and this is the moment that Jimmy, you can tell Jimmy says, this thinks this is the moment that his life really begins, because once he gets back home, all the men are away at war. At this point, this probably would have been like forty forty one, right, all of the men are away at war, and a bunch of the older teenage boys who aren't old enough to have been like drafted yet are working. Right. They're taking over jobs that the grown men have are no longer able to do, as are a lot of the women. And there's shortages of everything. So first off, he is kind of one of the only quote unquote men because he's thirteen or fourteen. Now, that's in this era a child starting to become recognized as a child. But if you think back to it, if you go back a generation or two, a fourteen year old is basically a man in Western society. That's when you start working full time. That's when people you are old enough to like run a job and be living your life, and the concept of a childhood doesn't sort of descend evenly upon society. It is starting to at this period of time, but it's also not very it's not weird that he's going to be treated by a lot of adults as a grown man, as a fourteen year old or as close to a grown man, because all of the bigger grown men are gone, right.
Speaker 4: Including his dad or is his dad still around?
Speaker 2: No, his dad is still around. His father's like old enough that he's not going to get drafted. But he's like working all the time and shit. Right, So because the shortages of everything, a vibrant black market opens up and Jimmy rushes straight to the middle of it. You know, he was because of sort of his upbringing. I think he was primed to be willing to get into a business like that, and because everyone else is kind of gone, he's able to start making money by, as he puts it, we were all in the racket business then, which is likely true. So he's he's hustling one way or the other. He's finding things that people need, he's selling them for high prices. He's like probably nicking stuff to resell. You know, this is kind of the birth of him like starting to become and live as an independent person. And he gets into it basically as a war profiteer. You know, as a fourteen year old war profiteer, which is interesting. You know who else is a war profiteers and services? Very possibly, we have no way of knowing. I would say there's like a solid forty percent chance that whoever is advertising this podcast right now is a war profit here. And hey, somebody's got to make money off of wars.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 2: So Jimmy is making spare money hustling until one day he decides to go buy the one of the big local ballrooms, the Mecca Locrno Ballroom, which is like a dance hall, right, and he sees that they need work because again all the men are gone. He turns himself into a gopher for the adults in leeds vibrant entertainment industry. The city had recently been nicknamed Britain's City of Sin by one Sunday paper, and working at the Mecca is what gave Jimmy his real education. One that quote, and this is from his autobiography, qualified me for every a level that ever existed in hell. He is not really hiding the fact that he's a scumback. Jimmy continues, not yet five feet in height, as thin as a drumstick with big eyes, ears and nose. I was everyone's mascot, pet runner, holder of mysterious parcels and secrets because I didn't understand the first thing about anything. I was the confidante of murderers, whores, black marketeers, crooks of every trade, and often of the innocent victims they preyed on. I also played the drums. And he's you know, dressing that up to make a better story, But this is probably pretty accurate as to like what he's doing is he is hanging out with a very bad crowd who are making their living. Like there's a lot of prostitution that gets run through this ballroom. There's a lot of like sketchy stuff happening here. And because he's this kid, everyone's kind of fine with him being in the room. Now. He is also doing like a formal job there. The Mecca was short on members for the bands because of the war, so as Jimmy tells it, he became the relief band for the whole establishment, getting paid ten shillings a week to fulfill a fifty pounds a week job and scrounging for cigarettes under the seats to make extra coin. This was a very different time. That's like a good way to make an extra money is let's find some half smoked SIGs to sell to people. That tells you how bad the Warriors were. That there's a good there's a vibrant industry and cigarettes. People didn't finish, not.
Speaker 4: Even just for him yet to sell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, yeah, to sell. He would finish school at four and then rush to the Mecca to perform for their afternoon shows. Then he'd have a couple hours break, and then he'd do a second half hour spot in the evenings. The relief band was just him and a girl who played piano, and even in the thirties and forties, this was not a legal arrangement. Quote being hopelessly underage and therefore highly illegal. There were times when I was persona non grata on stage. Don't come in tomorrow, the manager would hiss, the directors are coming. When the visiting boss asked where's the second band, the suave reply never failed. There's a big air raid going on in Hole or Doncaster or Halifax, and the relief band is made up of fireman There were always lots of fires.
Speaker 5: So he is.
Speaker 2: Illegally doing this and it's being justified as like, oh no, the band's not here right now because they're putting out fire from the bombs. Don't notice that it's like a fourteen year old day.
Speaker 4: They're totally adults.
Speaker 2: They're totally adults, and it's a whole band. Now. That is a fun, old timey tale of child labor, and we love a good It is, honestly, as child labor stories go. I don't know they have an issue with that. I don't think it hurts a fourteen year old kid for them to play the drums for an hour or two and night. Right, that's not really that bad as things go. But you can see what's happening here.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: From almost the beginning of his life, Jim is drawn towards entertainment, and from his first gig, he gets used to the idea that your age doesn't matter, even if there were laws against it, and that he's kind of special. He's not subject to the rules, and that's bad for a kid to learn. Right, that's going to have consequences. Right now, Again, the adults around him don't find this too strange because of the time that this is happening in right, and Sapville also credits the way he's treated the fact that he remained small and sickly. I was like a chair or a table. People used to talk in front of me because I didn't exist anybody who had done anything wrong. I knew who had done it, but nobody ever asked me. And one of Jimmy's great strengths here is knowing when to keep his mouth shut around crimes, a skill he would only master further as an adult. Right knowing how to cover up when he's aware that something illegal is going on. This is again, a very very early thing that he learns how to do now. He claims that his first date is at age twelve, based again because he's also saying that this is happening while he's working at the dance hall. That can't be accurate based on when he was born and when all of this happened, right, But he claims that he goes on his first date when he's twelve with a twenty year old and even if he's fourteen, a fourteen year old and the twenty year old's pretty messed up, Right with a twenty year old who worked at the box office, He takes her out to a movie and the two made out to some extent afterwards. If this story is true, and again he's the only source on this, and he's telling the story because he thinks it makes him look cool, then Jimmy was molested as a child. Right. But also he clearly if this happened at all, he clearly didn't view it that way, and wrote proudly in his autobiography that he learned based on this fooling around in the dark. Quote, the ninety percent you can't see is just as important as the ten percent you can. These days, the percentage is reversed, but the principle is the same. Right, this is his first lesson about girls.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you can totally see how it started. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy how much how open he is about this, right, totally. So young, jim finds himself drawn to entertaining people, right, particularly to performing on stage and to women, basically from the time that he's a preteen up to the time that he's like in his early adolescence. The other thing he develops early on is a fascination with death, specifically corpses. In his autobiography, immediately after describing his first date, he discusses a time of great excitement for me when one of the Mecca's lady patrons was discovered in several carrier bags in a ditch. This woman had been chopped to pieces and had murdered and chopped to pieces. Right, oh my god. He talks about this grisly murder in a way I've never heard anyone write about a murder. He writes that quote. This was a whole new scene for me. I could never work out why it was necessary to cut her into bits. All right, well, that's an unhinged way to describe. That's fucking wild.
Speaker 4: That's one of the most.
Speaker 3: Fucked up things I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: What you mean, what do you mean? It's way worse. Jimmy Savile's relationship to dead bodies does not get healthier after this point.
Speaker 3: What jesus, he's what like twelve thirteen?
Speaker 2: You said he's made. He's like fourteen, probably maybe something like that. It's a little hard to tell. Again, yeah, young, Yeah, it's fucking.
Speaker 3: Some fucking sick o. Shit.
Speaker 2: What's even weirder is this next bit Again, he's talking about a woman being cut up after getting murdered. It was all part of a strange adult world that I never tried to understand, and even though I had a good idea who'd done it, no one ever asked me. Besides, I was far too excited about leaving school the following month.
Speaker 4: He didn't see this body cut out? Did it?
Speaker 2: He did? He's yeah, he did, and he's fascinated by it. He really likes he witnessed them finding the corpse.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, okay, yeah, God, or at.
Speaker 2: Least that's what he how he describes it. It's a little unclear, but I think so. And this must have happened when he was fourteen, because he says he left school the following month and that fourteen is when he graduated. Right Again, you are kind of in some ways childhood is start to be more kind of formalized understood. But there are ways in which you're kind of an adult at fourteen in this era, right, and he's going to be treated like one in some ways. So after the Dunkirk evacuations, everyone in his town had to put up soldiers for a few days because there was no quartering Act in the UK, right, which Savill describes as totally bizarre. And both of his parents become like major activists in terms of like supporting the war effort. His mom and dad help organize this big fundraiser in Leeds where they like gather a bunch of money from the local community to help pay for the military to build bombers. And there's a you know, they eventually they raise enough to build two hundred and fifty bombers. And this is like a huge story in the local papers. His parents are in the newspaper and being praised for raising money for this charitable cause. And that's going to stick with him too, right, this is a big deal to Jimmy. His two older brothers were both overseas serving by this point, and one of them actually got trapped during the Siege of Malta. Families all over town were receiving telegrams notifying them of their dead sons and husbands with some regularity. Jimmy watched all of this happen, but wrote later that quote, I wondered why people wept during the war when their relatives had been killed. I didn't even know what killed was. I was much more inquiring than I was affected. And that can't be true, right, because, like, you're not a tiny kid at this point, bro. You were born in nineteen twenty six, you're like fourteen or fifteen when this is going on. You know what death is.
Speaker 4: Also, you just saw that lady chopped up, like you totally know.
Speaker 2: It's greird to be like, I didn't understand why they were sad that their son was killed. You know what death is. You're fourteen, you're not like a four year old, and he was writing about like being a six year old and I didn't understand why. Well, yeah, that's not weird, but this is weird. That's a weird thing for you to say. And he does this a lot. He writes and talks about the war years often and about his cognition of what's happening as if he was a small boy then, and he's not. He's a lateeen like young adult while the war is going on. So that part's really weird to me. I don't know what to say about it other than he does that, and it's kind of strange that he does that to me. In March of nineteen forty one, he and his mom have to run for cover during an air raid. A cop near them was killed by the bomb, and after the raid, Jimmy claims that he picked up a black glove with a hand still inside it. In Davy's book In Plain Sight, he writes, it is a morbid detail and one that's savile savored. He's going to tell this story a lot with a degree of relish, Like he's excited by this, and you get the feeling that he's excited at the time. Again, this is all going to be important much later on. Yeah, he's not well, that's not a healthy reaction. From age fifteen to sixteen, he just keeps working at the mech and taking on odd jobs, mainly to provide his mom with money for food, both of which earn him praise. Right the fact that he's making money and the fact that he's like an entertainer. He gets a lot of praise early on from this. He also starts training with the Army Air Corps because he's expecting he's got to be like eighteen when the war ends. He's expecting to be called up to the RAF in another year or two when he's like sixteen or seventeen. Like, his expectation is that he's going to serve. And many people would have, no doubt been better off if he'd gotten sent to the front and died some measureshment, but Jimmy had the dubious luck instead to become a Bevin boy. So in the early years of the war, British Minister of Labor Ernst Bevin decreed that one in ten men between the ages of eighteen and twenty five would be conscripted to work in the coal mines rather than to fight at the front. And it says eighteen to twenty five younger boys got conscripted all the time, as happened in the military, or not, or got got one way or the other got in. And Jimmy not eighteen. I don't think when he gets called in to be a bev And boy. Although it's a little hard for me to say what age he is, but he does this. This happens to him, and this is a foundational part of the Jimmy Savill saga. Although I can't actually tell you that this one hundred percent happened, but we'll get to that. Here's a representative sample of how this is usually described from a see in an article. He was one of the surviving Bevin Boys who received an award from the then British Prime Minister Gordon Brown in two thousand and eight for helping to keep the mines operational during the conflict, Saville suffered serious spinal injuries in a mine explosion and left the colliery. Right. And so that's the standard version of the story that he does his duty to his country as a mining boy when he's a teenager, and he eventually after a couple of years gets horribly injured and you know, has to leave. And this is a big part because he he can honestly say when he's like a big entertainer, I was a coal miner, right, Because a lot of Jimmy's, a lot of Jimmy's appeal as an entertainer later will be that he's a he's an authentic voice from the north. He's a real man of the people, a common man. He worked as a coal miner as a boy. Right now. For his part, Jimmy simultaneously claimed to have enjoyed the work in the minds and to have been haunted by it. Quote the noise, the dark and dust, and the torn fingers created an impression of hell that I will carry to the grave. But he also writes that this is the period of time in his life where he learns quote the power of sheer oddness, because he's the weird kid, and he's notably weird, like other people are kind of weirded out by young Jimmy. And so he gets a job most of the time that he's a Bevin boy. He gets a job where he's basically alone in an isolated chunk of the mine that periodically coal trucks will come through and sometimes they get derailed, and so he has to put them back on the tracks if they get derailed. And so every day he just goes there and he's sitting alone for like twelve hours or whatever in a coal mine, like that's his job. And this gives him a lot of time to read. This is kind of when he claims he got his education basically, because every day he'll come down and he'll turn on his light and he'll read books all the time while he's sitting alone in the coal mine. He spends he claims three and a half years doing pretty much this. He rarely socialized with his coworkers, and they seem to have been repelled by him. In fact, Jimmy recalled one specific moment where this became clear to him quote instinctively regarded as strange by my mates. There came a day when they drew apart from me, and I started to draw apart from the normal world. It all started as a joke on my part. And this is interesting. The way he describes that is like, this is when I drew apart from the normal world. Is really compelling to me. So let's talk about this joke that he plays that he thinks severs him from normal society. So one day he shows up late for work, still dressed in his best suit that he'd been wearing the night before. I think he'd been out at the club or something like that, and he had no time to change. So he goes down wearing a suit, which perplexes his peers, right, because you're going to ruin whatever you're wearing if you take it into the coal mine. Now, because he doesn't want to destroy his best suit once he gets into his position down there, because he's spending the whole day alone, he just strips naked and he wraps the suit in newspaper and he works in the nude all day. Then at the end of his shift, he like cleans his face and his hands off and he puts the suit back on, and so it appears as he walks out that he's leaving the mine wearing a clean suit, looking like he had when he'd gone down the start of the day. Quote in the history of coal mining, no one had spent eight hours underground and emerged clean, not a smudge on the collar or cuffs. Witchcraft it may not be, but unnatural it certainly was. And I was branded from that moment, right, So, what's so weird, dude, that's really odd? Jimmy madd shit. So Dan Davies, the author of Endplane Sight Inner, asked him about this decades, like sixty something years later, and when he asks Jimmy about this moment and like why he did this, Saville responded, I wasn't sure what it did, but it did develop my out of the box thinking. I didn't do it for any reason. I just realized that going back clean would freak people out, and it did. I realized that being a bit odd meant there could be a payday that's going to be super important.
Speaker 4: That's so strange. I thought he was just trying to save his suit.
Speaker 5: It's also weird that like he wants the body is described in but then hell is coal mining.
Speaker 4: When he's reading a book, it's like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, some of that I think is just because he wants to really judge up how difficult and even though he seems to have had basically the best job you could have now there, he really wants to like play up because it's good for his later reputation. But I don't think he's playing this bit up where he's talking about this why he did this, that he just feels a compulsion to freak people out and get a reaction. You look as an entertainer, I get that that kind of kid in some ways, right, Sometimes you did things just to see how people react or just because you wanted to get everyone.
Speaker 1: Laughing, right yeah, I mean jad Gas made a career of it, right Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting that he's his goal is not to make everyone laugh. He wanted to freak people out, Like you could see how a different person could have made this a funny bit and like brought everyone in and like this is something that could make your pals laugh and could like have an impact on them. He wants to scare them kind of. He wants to make them to be upset with him and to feel like because then they won't pay attention to him if they think he's really weird. They'll give him a wide berth and he'll get to continue doing his own thing alone. That's something Jimmy is going to take from this experience, and it's going to be with him his whole life. So the war ended and the Bevin boys started deserting the Minds because they didn't want to work in a mine anymore. It sucks Davy's. His biographer, suspects that Savill was a repeat work skipper even before the war ended, and basically that he was never working as much as he should have. He was kind of skipping out a lot of the time, even from the jump. Now this is important because every version of the Jimmy Savile story includes him being horribly maimed in a mining accident, which is why he stops doing the work. You know, However, I can't say that this really happened or when it would have happened. He gives different dates for when this mining accident happened every time he talks about it. He claims to be a different age when this happens every time he talks about it, and he gives kind of differing accounts about how it happened. His initial claims about how bad this injury was and when it happened simply can't have been true because the age he claims to have been when he was and he says this is serious enough that he's basically unable to move right for months, this can't have happened because the age that he does that, we know that he was participating in like a bike race through France, like there was a postwar like a big bike marathon basically, and we know he's in it, so it can't have happened. Then it's really it's unclear to me what actually went down here. I found a c in an article that describes him as having suffered a serious spinal injury. And Jimmy did keep a surgical support jacket that he said he was made to wear as he was recuperating from the injury, so he probably got hurt to some extent. But again, the timelines he give us just doesn't work with the things that we know that he was doing, like participating in the first Tour of Britain cycle race in nineteen fifty one. If he's injured when he claims he was, and it was as bad as he claims he was, it can't have happened. The way he said it did because of the other things we know that he was doing. So I don't know was he actually hurt in a mining accident, did it was it a minor injury or did he just stop going to work one day and later lied about having been badly injured in order to like, because that's a better story than I just kind of abandoned mining. He said in two thousand and eight that he'd been hurt after working for seven years as a Bevin boy. And that's impossible. You know, that's impossible because in nineteen forty eight he was in a movie. He's like an extra in a film, and that movie still exists, so you can see that he's physically healthy. He's visibly very fit in the movie, Like we know he wasn't in like traction from a spinal injury. Then, during an interview in the nineteen eighties, Jimmy gave yet another different story and claim that a chest cold got him out of the pits in nineteen forty eight. I think that's a lot likelier, right, just that like, oh, I just kind of had the flu and stopped coming into work and started doing other shit. That's a lot more believable to me, there are some people who suspect Jimmy Light entirely about being a Bevin boy. I think that's unlikely, but he definitely didn't do the job as long as he claimed. We know this because by the late forties, after the war is over, he becomes an athlete. He gets into really good shape. He's cycling all the time, and he's eventually going to be like a professional athlete. He's also on the side selling scrap with somebody. He's got like a scra business. He's probably working with his dad right before his dad passes on, and he does some odd bits of agricultural labor. There's this like post war government scheme where they're paying kids to like work on farms to help get the country back up and running after the war. Per Davy's book in Plain Sight quote, it was on one such camp that he discovered his talent for hypnotism, surprising him in those watching by persuading an unsuspecting female victim out of her clothes. A sign of the unpermissive times was that the room emptied. In a second, he wrote, that's kind of the first story Jimmy gives us of him doing something really sexually questionable that like both he's studying hypnotism to get ladies to take their clothes off, and that everyone else in the room is really uncomfortable with what he's doing, right, and he's like, ah, it's a sign of the times. We were more repressed back then. No, Jimmy, that's just weird, just like really uncomfortable, fucking weird dude.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You know what else makes people uncomfortable?
Speaker 4: Products of services?
Speaker 2: Sometimes sometimes so. By the late nineteen forties, Jimmy's dad is ill and dying, and that makes Jimmy increasingly the breadwinner and emotional support for his mother, and he begins to slip noticeably into the role of caring for her beyond all of her other children. It was his mom that tipped him off about one of the most significant moments in his life. Some neighborhood kid had wired a gramophone up to a radio, allowing you to basically get kind of a proto DJ set going. This is like the birth the early birth of like the turntable systems that like DJs use now. Is like a gramophone we hooked up to a radio to make it louder. So Jimmy falls in love with this. He buys this thing and he starts. He holds an event and sells tickets to it. He has his mom make refreshments. He like rents out a room at a social club owned by the Catholic Church, and he's like doing what one of the first DJ sets anyone would have ever done, right where he's like putting on records and like picking what songs are gonna come on at what time. This is like very prehistory of DJing. DJing. Only about twelve people show up, but Jim was electrified to see people dancing to music that he picked for them. Quote. I felt this amazing. Power is the wrong word. Control is the wrong word. Effect could be nearer. What I was doing was causing twelve people to do something. I thought, I can make them dance quick, I can make them dance slow, or I can make them stop. That one person, me was doing something to all these people. And that's really the thing that triggered me off and sustained me for the rest of my days. That's really important.
Speaker 5: His ego is entirely too inflated for being a DJ.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? But it's interesting you talked to I've had a lot of friends who were DJs. You talked to most people who are into this, and they he asked, what appeals to you, It's like the music. They love music, they like dance, like there's something about the art. Jimmy is always very clear he doesn't care about the art. He is not at all interested. And this is a creative endeavor. He likes being a DJ because you get to make people do stuff. You are controlling the emotions and mood and to an extent, the movements of a group of people. The control is what appeals to him about being a DJ. That's very upsetting.
Speaker 4: That's so strange. Yeah, take a hypnotist kind of continue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly exactly as Davis notes, and I think is as obvious from that quote. Jimmy like the art of what he's doing is kind of lost on him. He's purely in this for power and control. So he starts hosting more of these record dances, renting whatever venues he could find, and occasionally running out halfway through a set when his equipment broke. Because this isn't None of this stuff works very well at the time. Now, this is also the first time when he starts to write about taking birds home from shows with him. He almost exclusively in his autobiography and in his personal writings refers to girls and women as birds. Right, that's the term he uses, and he uses it constantly.
Speaker 4: Well, it is common at the time.
Speaker 2: Very common at the time, very common. He keeps doing it through the seventies and eighties, nineties, which is weird, but at the time. Again, that's part of the story is when this starts, it's not so weird. He's a teen young adult at the time, when he's seventeen eighteen. The fact that he's taking sixteen, seventeen, sometimes fifteen year old girls like home from the club at night isn't the weirdest thing in the world, right, Like it, it's not considered too strange by any of the people because he's right in that age bracket more or less, right, he is a teenager too at the start of this, and so it's not seen as super odd. And part of what's interesting to me is that Jimmy never kind of gets out of that mind state, right of like the one that he has when he's like an eighteen year old, right, And it's a poortant you know that he goes down this road very early. Now, we don't actually know when this starts to happen, when he starts DJing and you know, fucking taking girls home from these shows that he's doing, because by realistic calculation, it should have been around nineteen forty eight, forty nine or fifty maybe even fifty one, but Jimmy would sometimes say these shows took place in forty three or forty four, So I can't take any of the dates here too, Seriously, it's just impossible for me to know. But by his late teens to early twenties, Jimmy is playing shows as a DJ. He's not making a lot of money at this though, but like he gets obviously he's interested in it because of the benefits that it brings him. That said, because it's not making money for him, he decides to try his hand at being a pro cyclist. He'd always liked cycling, he'd been into it as a kid, and this is when cycling started to take off as a competitive sport in the post war period, and he gets really into that, and he was actually pretty good at cycling for a while. He competed reasonably well. He never wins any major races, but he fit second in a big one in nineteen fifty.
Speaker 3: I just like, I'm sorry, I have to say it. It's like, Okay, I was like seventeen, I worked as at a restaurant.
Speaker 4: I carried theod to the tables, but like that's.
Speaker 3: Not what I was into. And so I it's like it's like if I was just like and I became a professional basketball player, Like what, yeah, Like what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, it's it's not it's a It's a part of what he's doing here is in this post war period, there's a bunch of open places, right. Cycling has just started becoming a competitive sport. So it's just some dude you can kind of slide in and if you're okay at cycling, maybe make a life of it. And it's going to be the same in the music industry, the same as a DJ. Like he is looking for places. He's looking for things that where there might be money and where it's not. It's a new thing, so like it's not really been ironed out how this business is supposed to work. It hasn't ossified yet, so it's easy for him to get in, and it's easy for him. Was like, yeah, I'm a professional cyclist and then I.
Speaker 3: Walked into a room and I got my first job.
Speaker 4: I had experience.
Speaker 3: That's the and now I'm a pajillionaires of the post.
Speaker 2: War experience for a lot of assholes in a nutshell. Now, Jimmy's never super committed to the competitive side of racing. I think he likes it because there's a lot of girls, right uh. In fact, he loses one race because he and his buddy, as they're cycling passed, see some girls having lunch by, like you know, in a park or something, and they decide to stop and flirt with them, and so everyone else passes them. He regularly flexs the power of his oddness here too. He starts doing that. In his cycling days, he would do shit like he would show up for races wearing a full tuxedo and he would hire someone to like run up for everyone else's pre race. He's got his tucks on, and he hires someone to run up with like a tray in a mirror, so he can like freshen up and get like make himself look nice while everyone is like prepping for the race. He's doing this as a bit, and he's doing this because it makes him stand out. One of his buddies later said of him, he was a good writer, but he was never a great writer. He was a real character. However, some of the other writers thought he was a bloody fool, and he was a buffoon at times. In fact, his buffoonery is gonna be what takes him further than the cycling, because he's never good enough to really make a living as a professional cyclist. But he does. He does become famous, even though he's never one of like the guy's winning races. He's one of the most famous cyclists of his day because of his bizarre behavior. He gets his first nickname, Oscar the Duke Seville. He registers as Oscar Seville for reasons, or Oscar Savill for reasons that I don't know. But he gets his nickname the Duke because he finishes the race while smoking a cigar, imitating Winston Churchill. As Jimmy later said, I was forever with the gimmicks before gimmicks had ever been invented, and someby's gonna show you a shirt from not too much later in this period of time, there's Jimmy with a cigar. He's always got his hair like that. It's he's this is a young British man with a cigar in his mouth and like long shock white straight hair, like clearly like bleached white hair. It's really strange. No one else looked like Jimmy Saville, like at any real point in his life. And he dies like again, I hate doing the Wow, that guy looks like a pedophile thing. But that guy looks You wouldn't trust that guy with you kids, right, that's again there's something dangerous about that.
Speaker 3: It's a very off putting looking person. One thing's for sure is our colleagues, James Stout, former cyclist, also British. This is like opposite day. James Stout is evil James, Yes, evil James and like and one thing I know about James is James fucking hates this guy.
Speaker 2: We've never spoken about it. I mean you really hate this guy. Oh yeah, got started with the evil. He hasn't even done anything all that evil yet. He's just done some really weird and upsetting things photo deeply bad. Sorry yeah, like fucked up bangs. I don't know how to describe it to you other than fucked up.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: So Jimmy's proud appeal vastly exceeds his actual skill on a bike, and race promoters noticed this, and after a match in which he showed up hungover and collapsed mid race, he's offered a job. They're like, look, Jimmy, clearly cycling isn't going to work out for you, but everyone loves you. You're like one of the maybe the most popular cyclist we have. How about trying your hand at being a race commentator? Do you want to be the guy who like, like talks about what's happening basically right? And as Jimmy said, it turned out I was a natural ad lib broadcaster and this is going to be his the big break that leads to everything else that we're going to talk about in these episodes. But that is the end of part one. Courtney Kosak, how are you feeling?
Speaker 4: Who? What an exciting episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've just kind of got the Jaws music going. You know something? Really, you know this is going to a terrible place.
Speaker 5: I do recognize him based on that photo that you showed.
Speaker 2: He is a very and if you did, you see the sequel to twenty eight years later, The Bone Temple. No, oh man, there's a reason so all of the bad guys in that movie are dressed like and aping Jimmy's savile. And there's a reason for it because that movie. You haven't seen it. I love it. The whole film is an extended critique of Thatcherism, and there's a very good reason why the psychotic like murderous villains are dressed like Jimmy Savill. But we'll talk about all that later. Courtney, you want to plug anything before we roll out here?
Speaker 5: Well, I want to plug Sophie's facial expressions during this episode.
Speaker 2: Excellent, they were.
Speaker 4: So good, such a good compliment to yours. And also, guys, by my fucking book.
Speaker 2: You'll like it.
Speaker 4: It's called Girl Gone Wild?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah? What else are you doing nothing? Buy your book? Wow? Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I don't know should we should we continue, should we record part two? Or should we just take a break and just like I'll read Girl Gone Wild?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm going to take a break. I'll read the entirety of Courtney's book and then we'll come back in like four minutes. How's that sound perfect?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 2: Great? Great? All right, everybody, We'll be back Thursday with some stuff that's really going to upset you.
Speaker 1: Good night, Behind the Bastards is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Full video episodes that Behind the Bastards are now streaming on Netflix, dropping every Tuesday and Thursday. Hit Remind Me on Netflix you don't miss an episode. For clips in our older episode catalog, continue to subscribe to our YouTube channel, YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards. We love about forty percent of you, statistically speaking,