Speaker 1: Welcome to the Official Jets Podcast, Eric Allen here at One Jets Drive. I'm joined by Lejadusable. Not only today, but we are going to do this a number of times leading up to the draft.
Speaker 2: I think four and all dues.
Speaker 1: So get comfortable, brother, we got a lot of things to talk about.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: EA can't wait to dive into this draft with you and see how it affects the Jets. I know a lot of great topics today. Just I believe had a big signing on the show earlier, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: Big signing. Mike Williams was just in the studio.
Speaker 1: He is actually leaving One Jets Drive here a second ago. I saw him walking down the stairs, so he's awfully excited to be here. And in fact, just to give people some background what's going on at the facility, there's a lot of Taylor Ham egg and cheese sandwiches that have been delivered here today.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: I mean what once NYJ Matt sent that sandwich and it went viral and that was the closing factor, determining factor Mike Williams signing. You knew rest of Jet Nation was going to come out in droves and send nothing but breakfast sandwiches to one Jets drive just to make sure Mike Williams has a taste of every good Taylor ham and egg and cheese sandwich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta watch my way, so I don't know how many of those I can eat, dudes. But let's get to that right now.
Speaker 1: Again, we're going to be focused primarily on the draft, but on today's installment of the Official Jets Podcast, I want to talk about what the Jets have done so far this off season and how that's going to impact Joe Douglass and his staff as they approached the twenty twenty four NFL Draft. So, Mike Williams, what did you think about that edition big signing?
Speaker 4: If you would have told me going into free agency that it could couple of Tyren Smith in this scenario as well, but that Joe d would sign Tyron Smith and Mike Williams, I would have thought there would have been a lot more money allocated to those two players in regards to getting that deal done. So shout out to Joe D. When you look at the Tyron Smith deal, essentially a one year, six point five million dollar deal, heavily incentive based from one of the top offensive tackles went healthy on the field, and if you look at Mike Williams, right, the Jets needed somebody that could take pressure off Garrett Wilson, and Mike Williams is that guy when the quarterback needs help. The big frame of you know, six foot six, two hundred up to ten pounds. He's a guy that can go up and get it and a good thing about him ea and even though he's had some injury issues the last couple of years, but if you look at his last two years span, he's only had one drop right, which plagued the Jets last year. So you talk about a guy that again when you're in trouble as a quarterback. He's a true ex receiver, the big boy, big body receiver that can go up and be physical and get the ball. And then you talk about the red zone presence, right, guy that went in doubt if he's one on one on the island. We've seen Aaron Rodgers already do to some preseason with Garrett Wilson. Checked the play and throw that fade well, instead of it being a fifty to fifty jump ball for Mike Williams, it's more like seventy thirty, sixty forty. He's coming down with the football. So I thought this was a massive get not only for the Jets offense, but for the development of Garrett Wilson because we know the type of player he can be in the potential he has.
Speaker 3: He saw a lot of double coverage.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be hard to do that with a guy like Mike Williams on the other side.
Speaker 1: So Mike Williams in with the Chargers twice in a thousand yard receiver. His yards per catch really off the charts in terms of comparing him to other receivers in the NFL. And you're right about the contested catches. He's a guy who will go up and get it one on one he isn't covered. So with all that being sad, he's gonna have to continue rehabbing. We imagine suffered that ACL injury in Week three last year year. Why is he such a good compliment You touched upon it a little bit, but why specifically such a good compliment for Garrett Wilson in terms of what the Jets can do formation wise?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because with Garrett Wilson, you can line him up at all three receiver positions right XX and then the slot. And the way that they started using Garrett Wilson more last year was they were motioning him right. When you do that, you can kind of roll and see where coverage is rolling to. But when you have a big X receiver on the outside, that safety has to respect that right. He can't just go with Garrett Wilson is at. So now it's going to free up the middle of the field a lot more for Garrett Wilson, which we know that's where he does a lot of his damage.
Speaker 3: EA.
Speaker 4: We saw going back two years ago when he caught that inbreaking route versus Chicago Bears and they cut back against that defense for like a fifty plus yard touchdown. Like that's what Garrett Well, Garrett Wilson does really well and better than a lot of receivers really attack the middle of the field.
Speaker 3: So now when you have that big receiver on the.
Speaker 4: Outside, safety has the hole just a little bit because if he goes right where Garrett Wilson is right away, the quarterback has that option just to throw it up to that monster. Mike Williams and you talked about him coming down with contested catches one of the best in the NFL.
Speaker 3: You also alluded to his yards per catch.
Speaker 4: A lot of that is because he goes up in those fifty fifty jump balls and gets forty yard or fifty yard bombs down the field, because he uses his body almost like a power forward in basketball, being able to box out smaller corners and go high point the football. So that's how I said it's not just big for this offense. I think it's pivotal for Garrett Wilson's development as well, because now it'll be hard to roll coverage to him, because if you do that, there's gonna be five or six times where Aaron Rodgers could just throw the ball up to Mike Williams and again, with his frame and his body size, there's a good chance he's coming down with the football.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really exceptional first down conversion rate. And the thing about Williams is he's not catching the ball really close to the line of scrimmage. I mean he's catching the ball down down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you pair him up ideally with one of the best vertical passers we've ever seen in the National Football League and Aaron Rodgers, and you're just opening things up for everybody on offense. Do you think right now, Joe Douglas says free agency, I'm good at receiver at this point. I signed the big Fish and Mike Williams. I have Garrett Wilson al Zard still on the roster. We saw some stops from Xavier Gibson and Jason Browne last year.
Speaker 4: No I could see him still going out there. I think Joe Douglas has done a really good job of letting the market come to him and not reaching an over quote unquote overpaying players. Right, we saw the receiver market not take off like it has in past years, and that's because the NFL Draft is laden with so much talent at the receiver position.
Speaker 3: Ea. I was just saying this yesterday.
Speaker 4: The NFL draft kind of dictates how the NFL moves, and that's even including free agency. People were saying that the running back value in the market was dead right because of positional value, But we saw because the NFL Draft doesn't have a strong running back class, running backs get top market in free agency this past year. Adversely, it's been opposite for the receivers, right. Besides Calvin Ridley, you can maybe even throw Mike Evans in there. The receivers that are normally number twos who get paid like number ones in free agency because they hit the open market.
Speaker 3: That didn't happen this offseason.
Speaker 4: And it's because the NFL draft receiver class is so strong. So you know, those guys like Tyler Boyd that are still out there, there's some good receivers that are still out there where I think Joe Douglas could even take a one or two year filler on some of these guys just to make sure the Jets have all the depth necessary just in case somebody does go down. But the great thing that Joe Douglas has done is really kind of fixing a lot of the holes going into free agency. That way, the book opens up for them at the number ten pick. You know, Joe Douglas can go so many ways. And we talked about Gary Wilson and I'll throw it back to you a A. But to me, this helps Breeze Hall more than anybody. With the Mike Williams signing. Right, we talked about safety is not being able to lean towards Garrett Wilson. Well, you're not gonna be able to keep that guy, the extra guy in the box as well, because if you get man o man coverage. We talked about Aaron Rodgers in the freedom he has at the line of scrimmage. You don't believe he's gonna throw that up to Mike Williams if he sees him in man coverage for sure on the island.
Speaker 3: So that keeps that.
Speaker 4: Extra safety out of the box, which will open up running lanes for Breeze Hall.
Speaker 3: So to me, he's the biggest winner.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's gonna help Garrett Wilson, but to me, Breece Hall is the biggest winner with this Mike william signing.
Speaker 1: I like that, Okay. So we are taping Wednesday morning. There are reports right now that Ohio State standout receiver Marvin Harrison is not working out at Ohio.
Speaker 2: State's pro day.
Speaker 1: We know he chose not to work out Indianapolis at the Combine as well. I'm bringing up Harrison because prior to the signing of Mike Williams NFL Draft, NFL media Draft expert Daniel Jeremiah had an interesting scenario debt he proposed on this podcast with Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: Let's take a listen right.
Speaker 5: Now, and the phone just rang, and it's Joe Ortiz one of his best friends and Joe Douglas from the New York Jets work together for twenty years, and he's all in. Joe Douglas has signed thirty three year old Tyron Smith Morgan Moses older tackle. On the other side, they went out and got John Simpson to play guard. Now you can say, maybe this is a house of cards with the age of these offensive linemen, but this is a forty year old quarterback. They are all in to win one in the next two years, So why not be bold? And do you think that they would have any issues parting with next year's second round pick, which would be the cost. So you go from ten to five as the Jets, you trade next year's second round pick. They don't have a second round pick this year because that was Rogers Steele and the Jets go up and they pair their wide receiver Garrett Wilson with his former teammate and Marvin Harrison Junior with the fifth pillar.
Speaker 1: Okay, dudes, so DJ says, the Jets move up to number five. The Chargers move back because they're starting under Jim Harbaugh, the new coach there, and they want to address the line of scrimmage and obviously they'll probably get an offensive lineman at ten, but the Jets go up all the way five and take Marvin Harrison. Do you consider that now that Williams is here with the Green and White.
Speaker 4: I love my guy, DJ just have thrown out chaos on a random Tuesday in the NFL during college basketball season when it's March madness.
Speaker 3: This is my thing. I don't know if the Chargers take that deal.
Speaker 4: First and foremost, you're talking about not even getting draft capital for this year. It would be the following year and they're moving back five spots. So I don't even know if the Chargers would take that call, even though Joe Douglas does have a good relationship with their GM. To me, after signing Mike Williams and how deep this receiver class is, I don't think it makes sense. You know my affinity for Rome Adoonzay. I honestly think he's going to be the best receiver when it's said and done, out of the top three guys when we talk about elite neighbors, Marvin Harrison Junior and Roma Doonza. So to me, if you're Judge Douglas, you stay pat. I think if anything, this is what Joe Douglas has done in free agency has allowed this team the flexibility to take calls to move potentially move back and get a second round pick for this year's draft. So to me, I wouldn't consider doing it because I just think as far as the skills set between elite neighbors, to me, who is the best stopping go receiver as far as getting up to acceleration and probably the most explosive. Out of the three, Marvin Harrison is probably the most complete, and to me, Romaduonze is the best fifty to fifty contested guy who has a pro mindset already and he's a game breaker as well. I don't think you need to move up and give up future draft cap, especially a second round pick to move up when these guys are so close and talent wise, I think Roma Dunes again will be the best one. It's all said, and then you can potentially get him at ten depending on where the draft falls.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it falls in your favor real quickly.
Speaker 1: You're taking Harrison basically off the board for the Jets, which I totally get unless he was there at ten. With that, with that being said, do you think he'll slip it all or you think he's gonna be fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think he slips at all. The crazy thing is a people always put a precipice on tape. So now it's time for gms and scouts and coaches to stand behind that.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: If the tape is the thing that really matters, then why do I need to work out.
Speaker 3: I'm preparing for the NFL. Why do I need to work out?
Speaker 4: Like literally, as the kids say, a stand on business, it's about if it's about the tape, stand on business.
Speaker 1: Speaking of business, the Jets started this off season with malta needs offensive line, tackle and guard, wide receiver, backup quarterback. You might even want to say running back after Brisau, your Belkyle, you got Israel Obana Konda. Defensively, some questions a defensive tackle as far as those guys who are expiring contracts, and then safety also, Now we can I think at edge into the equation. Let's go one by one what Joe Douglass and his personnel staff has done here in free agency. How do you think potentially it impacts the Jets. In the draft, they have eight selections, starting with number ten overall. Offensive line, left guard John Simpson comes in from the Baltimore Ravens. Right tackle Morgan Moses, who most recently, of course played with the Ravens, but is a former Jet. He'll come over pencil him in at right tackle, and then.
Speaker 2: Big Tyrone Smith In, a time.
Speaker 1: Pro bowler, a two time first team All Pro, a three times second team All Pro. What do you think about how Joe is gone and addressed the offensive line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's let's start in the trenches. You know, that's why I want to start anyway. A When you look at this offensive line, I think he's done a massiful job again not overshooting the market, letting the market come to him John Simpson. If you look at that deal, it was a lot lower than people originally thought it was when the original numbers came out. And you're talking about a guy that's a tone setter. I think that's what the New York just needed. Somebody that eats with their hands at lunch. That's what I call John Simpson. He's a guy that's gonna eat with his hands. He's gonna he's gonna wear that hard hat to work every day, and he's gonna be the physical presence on that offensive line, and I think we saw what Breist Hall tweeted when you know John Simpson signed and he was very excited also when Morgan Moses signed too, because Morgan Moses is one of the best run blocking right tackles in all of football. So now talk about getting a lot nastier on the offensive line, I think some of that was missing last year. You need some offensive linemen that want to take the heads off of the guy and an opponent in front of him, and guys that finished throughout the echo of the whistle. And that's exactly what John Simpson does. And you talk about Tyron Smith, we talked about all the accolades that he had. The biggest thing with him has always been health. Can he stay healthy. He's missed thirty plus games in the last four years, but just going back to last season was a second team.
Speaker 3: Hall Pro guys.
Speaker 4: So I'll let you know the skill set he has when he's available, But that is the big question mark. Can he be available? And the thing is with that contract that the Jets got him to sign, right, he has every motivation to be healthy because a lot of it is tied to end game playing. Right, he has to be on the field to hit some of those incentives. So if you're Tyron Smith, you have all the motivation. Also, you get to play with Aaron Rodgers and he talked about that as well, a guy that's kicked his butt in the playoffs a couple times. So right now you get to play with one of the best quarterbacks in our generation. So I think that was a motivation in itself for him to come over to the just justiny he saw the young offensive weapons that the Jets have as well.
Speaker 3: So when you look at.
Speaker 4: This offensive line, I think the biggest winner is Elijah Vera Tucker because there was question marks hea where was he going.
Speaker 3: To line up? Right? People didn't know what was gonna be, left tackle, right tackle. Guard.
Speaker 4: To me, he's a Pro Bowl slash All Pro type of guard, but he hasn't been able to solidify himself there because they've had to move him around because of injuries. Now they can solidify him at the guard position where he can get comfortable for the next few years and hopefully for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 3: And I also wonder with that moving around.
Speaker 4: Did that maybe have an, I want to say, an outlook or maybe have some ramifications in regards to some of the injuries because again, when you're using different parts of your bodies, whether you line up on the right side or left side, your body gets used to one side. The other side is weaker. Ea, Like when you have to get thrown into the fire on the other side, maybe some of that that muscle memory isn't there and that can lead to maybe some injuries. It'll be good for the young player, a sending player to be locked into a guard spot. And we love what we saw from Joe Tipman last year as a rookie. You would think in his second year he's gonna send and take another step solidified at the center position. So I love what Joe Douglas did as far as getting really good players right, not over shooting the market, because we saw a lot of guards get up words to fifteen, sixteen, seventeen million dollars on the open market. I think Joe Douglas did a good job of letting the market come to him and solidifying the offensive line with good players.
Speaker 2: Could tackle still be.
Speaker 1: At top of mind for the Jets early in the draft, right now the first round selection, then their schedule to select again of course in round three. Eight picks overall, as we talked about Morgan Moses, he's got one year remaining on his deal, and we know that Tyron Smith comes in, he gets a one year deal with a lot of incentives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think it's still on the top of Joe Douglas's mind. And if you know Joe d he has affinity for trench play, right. And when I say trench player, that's offensive line and defensive line. And you say that the perfect ea. When you look at your two starting tackles, they're both on one year deal. So, like good teams build for the future. Now, I think Carter Warren does need to be in that discussion as far as development and potentially taking over one of those spots in the near future. But at the end of the day, you're still going to have a void at the other tackle position, right, So when you look at this draft at the number ten spot, I don't think signing Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses absolves the Jets from not taking the offensive tackle a guy that's versus that can be a swing guy that could play inside and outside. But it also gives a just the freedom because they do they did bring in two starters that they don't have to necessarily take a tackle or it gives them the flexibility, like we talked about earlier EA to potentially move back and get some draft capital.
Speaker 1: Speaking of freedom, you got freedom, more freedom at receiver. I would imagine now with Williams coming back and know he's rehappened, and we'll find out where he's at in his recovery in the coming weeks and months. But again, you got more numbers here. And I've been talking to you about this, dudes for weeks and probably even months that this receiver class. Yeah, it's loaded its top, but the depth really goes.
Speaker 2: On for rounds here. This could be a historic class.
Speaker 3: It really could.
Speaker 4: There's gonna be guys that get taken into the late second, maybe even early third, that have first round talent. And I don't just say that lightly, Like there's literally guys. When we look at Lad McConkie who may sneak in late in the first, he's probably gonna go in the second. He has first round talent. Ricky Piersol guy is probably going to go in the third round from Florida. He potentially can have first round talent as well. Jay von Baker is another guy that's probably gonna go third, fourth round who has the potential to be a really good player as well at the receiver position.
Speaker 3: So it's really good depth.
Speaker 4: And maybe you know Joe Douglas is thinking about that at that number ten spot when we talked about potentially trading back, because to me, if you have one of the big three and when I say the big three at receiver, Roma Doomsa Elak Neighbors Marvin Harrison Junior, if one of those three fall at ten, I think it makes the most sense to go ahead and turn that card in right away. But maybe Joe d is like, this is a scenario where because this is such a deep receiver class that I could maybe trade back, hopefully get a high to mid second round pick, and even potentially take a really good receiver there that has first round talent. So you got to look at it from that perspective when you look at your board and it all comes down to your top one fifty, what you have on your board as far as best player available. And that's another good thing that Joe Douglas did. He did it such a good job at free agency. He could literally take the best player available pick number ten instead of having to reach for a specific position.
Speaker 3: Right, if there's.
Speaker 4: Somebody that's there that he really likes, that maybe graded out as a number seven or eight on their board, they can take them now. Because he's done a good job in free agency. So when you look at the signing of Mike Williams again, I don't think that absolves the Jets from potentially taking the first round receiver because the same scenario. Right, he's on a one year deal, so you're gonna have this issue again next year. But if you get a receiver in the draft, whether it's in the first round or you trade back and get one in the second round, you have him locked in with Garrett Wilson for at least the next four years. So I know Joe Douglass has to be thinking about that as he's going through this process.
Speaker 1: Okay, so before we flip it over to the defensive side of the ball real quickly, it's not April yet, but your thoughts on Georgia tight on of brock Bauers, because I know a lot of Jets fans after Williams put pen to paper, said hey, let's complete this thing with the offensive skill uh positions and go to him where are you with Bauers at this point?
Speaker 4: Tends is rich for me. Ea when you look at him, very explosive player. You turn on that Auburn film, he literally single handedly beat that team, especially in the second half.
Speaker 3: A guy that is who is competitive at blocking.
Speaker 4: He's not a great blocker, but he will fit it up in there and get in front of somebody. But to me, we talked about positional value earlier, I think that's way too high for tight end.
Speaker 3: Where did you see that?
Speaker 4: I mean you saw it with I think Vernon Davison and Pitts, Kyle Pitts. I would say that Vernon Davis one has worked out, but the cole Pits so far one, it really hasn't worked out. And then when you look at the Jets tight end room, Hea, We've talked about this at nauseum a lot.
Speaker 3: This offseas like I love our tight end room.
Speaker 4: When you talk about Tyler Concord, I think Jerremy Rutgor is going to get only better. I can foresee him being the future tight end of the future for the New York Jets, Right, And then we talked about signing Kenny Yoboa back and kots that they got last year in the draft is another draft pick that has developed really well as well. So you talk about a young group, you know, with Tyler Conklin the veteran, and he's pretty young itself as well. So I really love the tight end room. Now again, anytime you can add a you know, explosive offensive weapon, it helps the quarterback, it helps the offense. But to me, tends a little rich to take a tight end in this year's draft.
Speaker 2: Let's go to defensive side of the ball. Lucky fo two.
Speaker 1: Young guy from the Arizona Cardinals who he comes on board, a former rugby player. He's got an interesting background, a big guy I don't think should be allowed to move that fast, but the Jets are very excited getting him. Dues Also Javon Kinlaw, interesting backstory, former first round pick with the Niners.
Speaker 2: Battles some injuries there early, coming.
Speaker 1: Off a year where he had his best season in the National Football League. And he also has a system familiarity and the person familiarity because his defensive coordinator was Robert slid back in twenty twenty and year one, so that's big. And then Solomon Thomas, who had a career high five sacks last year. Really good locker room guy. He also brings a monster motor on the field. I mean Sally's always he just gives it for you out there on the field, maximum capacity. What do you think about the re shaped defensive tackle room as we head to the draft. Of course Al Woods out there as a free agent. He unfortunately had the achilles injury last year, only suited up for six games with the Jets. Photo's a lot younger guy there. Quentin Jefferson lands in Cleveland. He had a career high in sacks last year six and a half. But I'm sure Sala looks at kin Law and says, hey, man, I got the upside. I know what I'm dealing with, and I can get the be'st out of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we were at the Singer Bowl, I know, me and Ethan did a interview and I was saying how important it was for the just to attack the detackle position in the draft, and everybody was like, what.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: Like, we need offensive weapons, we need offensive line. And I stated it on on X or Twitter, whatever you want to call it. EA, I said, do you know besides Quinn Williams, nobody is under contract in that defensive tackle room. I'm like, you know, somebody needs to play next to him, right, and there needs to be depth behind him, and there needs to be somebody that he can grow with. Because I actually had the interview with Ethan, I said, Brayden Fist makes a lot of sense in the third round.
Speaker 3: At the time, he was the third round.
Speaker 1: Oh, We're going to talk about more about Fisk in the future because I love him. You got me on Fist man, that guy's an animal.
Speaker 4: But to me, I don't think he makes it past the second round now, So you know, you just don't currently have a second round pick. So I love what Robert Sala and Joe d did, And a lot of people were kind of griping earlier in free agency because those were kind of some of the first signings was on the defensive side, and everybody like, here we go again, right the defensive side.
Speaker 3: This is a top five defense, championship defense. We need help on offense.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, well, for it to state a championship defense, somebody needs to play Mexic Williams. So I loved the signing of Javon Kinlan will break down, you know, foto and everybody else, But you talked about it. I think the perfect word you said was upside and that's why they signed him. He's a guy very familiar with the system, was the first round pick with the forty nine ers win Robert Solid was a decordinator. And I think people what people don't understand when Javon Kinlong got drafted to the forty nine ers and he was a high draft pick, people forget they just traded the Forest Buckler, who was a top two maybe top three detackle away from the coach. So there was a lot of pressure on this kid to come in and essentially be the Forrest Buckner, which that's a losing battle for anybody, right, That.
Speaker 3: Was an all pro d tackle that they had just lost.
Speaker 4: They couldn't pay him and Eric Armstead, so they traded him away for a first round pick and paid Eric Armstead, it said, and that's the von Keilah was stepping into those shoes.
Speaker 3: So again, there was a lot of pressure.
Speaker 4: You talked about some of the injuries, but I thought he had his best year of this past year right where all the pressure wasn't on him like it won't be for the Jets.
Speaker 3: A lot of pressure will be on Quinn Williams.
Speaker 4: He's gonna take up a lot of the double teams, and you saw him be able to get after the quarterback. You saw that athleticism, and we talked about Tyron Smith being the mountain of the man.
Speaker 3: Javon Kinlaw's amount of him man as well.
Speaker 2: That's a big always here man. He is so long.
Speaker 3: That's a big human being.
Speaker 4: So you talk about a guy that had essentially signs a one year proven deal Hea, So you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna get the best out of him because he's one to go.
Speaker 4: He's gonna want to sign a long term deal, whether it's with the Jets or somebody else in the future. So you're gonna get a highly motivated to Von Kinlaw and then again, comfortable with the defense. He's not gonna have to learn a whole new defense. Will slide in nicely with Quinn Williams. FO two was a guy he talked about Al Woods. I think to me it's a younger version of our Woods and probably a little bit more athletic.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: He's a guy that can push the pocket, but he's known for his run stopping abilities and that's what he'll do for the Jets. And then Sally, you talked about it. I don't know what it is. Well, I know what it is. It's the system. But every dtackle that comes into the system with Sala ends up having a career year. We saw Sheldon Reagans do the same thing. He went and got paid, right, Quentin Jefferson career year, he went and.
Speaker 3: Got paid other rounds.
Speaker 4: Sally, I thought it was monumental Forget to get him back, not only because of his play on the field, but what he means to that locker room and the guy he is off the field. You talk about a guy that just comes to work and does it right. Ea, that is the definition of Solomon Thomas was my rookie at the forty nine ers, my last year in the NFL. Couldn't be more prouder of the guy. Again, you talked about a high motor career high in sacks last year at five sacks. He's gonna be able to give you some nickel rushes on third down, and he's gonna be that motor on first and second down. He's gonna fly to the ball. You see it on tape when you turn it.
Speaker 1: On outstanding human meaning and being good football player. So defensive tackle. Heading into the draft, you got to feel pretty good. Maybe on Day three if you want to address it, or what do you think.
Speaker 4: I would not be surprised. Again, it all depends on what happens at pick ten. Is this a scenario where they take a guy or do they trade back and get some draft capital. Because if they do get some draft capitol, I wouldn't mind taking a filler at a second or third round pick, just because it's the same scenario. Right, everybody's on one year deals. You'll be in the same scenario next year. It would be nice going into an offseason to know that you have at least two or three viable guys at a position instead of just throwing one year deals here and there. That's how good teams get that sustained success because they're able to draft really well develop guys. They'll lose guys, get the compensatory picks back, but yet you still have some youth with veterans mixed in on your roster. So would not be surprised depending on how the board actually falls. Right, if there's a dtackle that maybe slips to the third round that was gonna be in there in the second round, it makes a lot of sense for the Jets.
Speaker 1: Shoot us straight dudes at the edge position. The Jets have Jermaine Johnson, who looks like a star in the making, huge second year. What a jump you got John Franklin Myers, who is criminally underrated in my book. Just the guy sets the edge, He's got the low pad lovel, he's tough, and he collapses the pocket. He also can shift down inside play defensive tackle for you. Will McDonald the fifteenth overall selection in the draft last year. The Jets obviously hoping for big things from him. But Bryce Hoff exits after a career year.
Speaker 2: What did you.
Speaker 1: Think about Huff's signing with the Eagles and how that impacts the Jets at the edge position? I should say right now, reports are j Davian Clowney in the house for a visit. We'll have to see if anything comes with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll start with Brice Souff. Couldn't be more happier for the guy. You know me, anytime there's an undrafted free agent, I have affinity.
Speaker 3: For him because I know that struggle.
Speaker 4: I was that struggle and I played ten years and for him to have signed a deal to get the most guaranteed money for an undrafted for agent in history, couldn't be more happier. Yeah, you know when we were doing shows and I was up there in New York going back to twenty one, I highlighted him in John Franklin Myers before They are who they are now, right, I said, these are two guys that I think the Jets can build around, obviously with Quinn Williams as well, but I'm just talking about specifically on the edge, Like these guys can be like foundational pieces for you, and people didn't know who they were, but I saw the film in twenty and I saw glimpses and highlights. John Franklin Myers, you talked about the grittiness that he plays with, right, He's he's kind of like the tone setter on that defense in regards to doing the gritty and dirty work. He says the edge, he comes inside and rushes with Quinn Williams on third down. He has the flexibility and versus utility to play inside and outside. And when you talk about Bryce Huff, you know our guy Baldy always calls him the Ferrari right coming off the edge. That dude's get off is insane right, and his bendability and flexibility to bend the edge with a three hundred and sixty pound offensive lineman pushing on his hip and close to the quarterback is an elite trait that not many have. So like, that's the thing that's tough about free agency, and when you have a top tier defense like you have, it's hard to pay everybody, right, And it was a scenario where I knew most likely he was gonna leave a free agency. Was praying it could work out, but I knew most likely there was gonna be a team that saw what I saw right in regards of what he does on film and how he can elevate a pass rush and a defense period.
Speaker 3: And so glad and happy for him.
Speaker 4: Now, when you talk about replacing that, it's gonna be hard to replace that, right. The guy had double digit sacks last year. Now, if you're Joe Douglas and sala oping that Will McDonald takes that second year leap like Jermaine did. Jermaine Johnson. You know my infinity with Jermaine. I would have took him in the top five two years ago in that draft.
Speaker 2: You were calling him out of Mobile.
Speaker 6: You were first him top five two years ago in that draft, but he showed you why last year, you know, ended up being a a pro bow guy, went to the Pro bow last year.
Speaker 3: And it's not just what he does.
Speaker 4: In past rushing, it's the attitude he plays within the run game, like he's a physical, real physical guy, right and gets out there and he plays hard. He plays with a motor. So you would hope that Will Anderson takes that leap. There's rumors that they're supposed to be working out together, so hopefully some of the stuff that you know that Jermaine learned in his first two years ruboff on Will as well. But like you said, there is rumors that a potential number one overall pick is visiting the New York Jets coming off her career year himself when nine and a half sacks, And the thing is it kind of kind of reminds me a lot of Jermaine and the way they play.
Speaker 3: The run, right.
Speaker 4: They're both physical guys against the run, right, and they use that physicality when pass rushing. So great job by the Ravens signing him last year, and great job by him really honing in on that opportunity and maximizing it and having a career here going into free agency, but that would be a big signing. I think they just do need to add one more piece on the edge.
Speaker 1: If no Clowney, maybe they do dip into free agency and get a lower tier free agent. But could you see another edge possibly early. And don't worry Jets fans. I'm not saying that Jets.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they coming after you.
Speaker 2: Jets are not taking an edge. I'm gonna say it right now.
Speaker 1: I will run to the city and back if the Jets taken edge in the first round.
Speaker 4: I have to because what let's say in this scenario, let's just play this game, ya scenario, the top three, the top three receivers are gone, right, say Joe alt Olufashana gone. We know that jo d has an infinity for toolice for Wagga, and he has versatility. But say you're at the number ten pick and Jared Versus or Dallas Turner are like your number five player.
Speaker 2: On them, and yet you get.
Speaker 4: A call, but it's not worth you picking it up to trade back. I just want to put hypotheticals out there.
Speaker 2: Hypotheticals so you're saying there's a chance, there's.
Speaker 3: Always a chance. People.
Speaker 4: People want to talk about best player available, but on the Jets board, Dallas Turner could be the number five player on the board. So it's like, if he falls again, I know, it would be a riot on x or Twitter, whatever you want to call it, in the streets of New Jersey.
Speaker 3: It'll be a riot in New York. But I'm just saying you.
Speaker 4: Have to think about this hypothetically because to top three receivers could be gone, and the top two off of the titles could be gone by.
Speaker 1: Ten right, Okay, I'm gonna say it's extremely unlikely.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the same again.
Speaker 3: I don't think a lot of people saw, well Will McDonald go in fifteen.
Speaker 2: Last year, So no, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we'll go back to Will McDonald's. I mean, excuse me, go back to the safety position. We're talking about that just it's in my head. Jets enter free agency with three unrestricted guys. They re signed Chuck Clark, he doesn't even hit the market, so he becomes you strong, you got your free safety, and Tony Adams. Right now, Ashton Davis is still on the market. Interesting, he was a valuable piece at six Takeaways last year also served a valuable role or had a critical role on special teams, I should say, and that Jordan white had goes back to Tampa. Your thoughts on the safety position, big pitcher as we head towards the draft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love the Chuck Clark SI shigning him back. He was wlated to be a starter for us last year, that ends up going down. You think Tony Adams his second year as a starter would take a significant step as well. Hat Lou's and Jordan Whitehead. We saw at times him take over games, especially that Buffalo Bills game.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: The guy caught everything that was in his vicinity. Has always been a really good guy in the box tackling as well. The Ashton Davis one is interesting, right because I thought that was something that they should do business with. And again this could be Joe Douglass just letting the market come to him, but I was a little nervous. I know, Justin Simmons' name is still out there. He would be a big boost, right, but it depends on what he is going to want in free agency and what the Jets are willing to pay him as well. You're talking about a perennial all pro not just perennial pro bowler.
Speaker 1: All you think for a guy like Simmons, like right there, he's looking for multiple years.
Speaker 2: He's not going in with the one.
Speaker 4: I mean, even though he's a little older now, I think he still wants a minimum a.
Speaker 3: Two year deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: And if you're him, like you've earned that right by your play. The thing is right, it comes down to positional value and the safeties that had to learn that this off season. Now, like Xavier McKinney got paid top dollar in the market, but a lot of safeties didn't. I think a lot of guys were still getting around nine or ten million dollars. McKinny was like the one caveat to that. He's right under if I believe.
Speaker 1: Interesting to Poyer went to Miami for like one year two million or something.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I think he's he's older safety now, in its mid thirty so, and ea, I know him personally. He lives down here, so it just makes a lot of sense. House in the off season don't have to have different houses, So it just made a lot of sense for him to be there, and obviously being in that division for all these years in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: They know him really well in Miami.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I was talking about the safety market like, this isn't a strong safety class either, So a little bit surprised, but not surprised because there were so many safeties all of a sudden they hit the market because so many guys got released at the last minute EA. So I think that determined the market where before when I was talking in the show, the NFL draft kind of dictates how the market does with free agency. Well, when there's an abundance of talent on the open market, right, that can dictate and hurt your market as well. So I think a lot of safety saw that affect their market this offseason because Cam Curll was another guy that I thought he was going to get up wards a ten to eleven mil and he just didn't get that money. He's a really good player as well. So I think that Ashton Davis one makes a lot of sense. I know there was talks that he maybe wants to go somewhere where he could potentially start. Well, I think there's an opportunity with the New York Jets for him to compete and potentially start. And we know for a fact that Robert SLA and also coach Aubrick like using three safety sets on defense. He could be a guy that comes in on that, and he did that for the Jets last year, So I would not be surprised if he ends up coming back to the Jets.
Speaker 3: I think it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: All right, we got about one minute left summation. This is our first.
Speaker 2: NFL Draft podcast.
Speaker 1: Where are the New York Jets at this point about a month prior to the twenty twenty four NFL Draft.
Speaker 4: I would say they're in a really good spot ea, because there was a lot of question marks going into the offseason and free agency, and people were wondering how many questions would be answered via free agency before heading into the draft, and.
Speaker 3: Joe Douglas answered almost all of them.
Speaker 4: Now again, will not be surprised to see them add another receiver, maybe even an offensive line because just knowing Joe Douglas and all the darts that he's thrown at the dark wheel in regard to having great depth, it's come back to even hurt him. So maybe he's consciously like, you know, I need to sign another office a lineman, even if we draft one or two, just so I have the depth, right, I know that the depth is there. You would think that they would most likely sign another safety before heading into draft, just because they don't have the abundance of picks like a lot of teams have unless they decide to trade back. But I think they're in a really good position just because instead of maybe drafting for necessary need right away, they can draft for depth and they can get best player available at number ten. But when you look at the rest of the draft, instead of like your third round pick being somebody that you need to depend on right away, it could be a depth pick now because he's done such a good job in free agency.
Speaker 3: Now, again, there's a caveat to that.
Speaker 4: I think he still needs to sign maybe one more receiver, another safety as well. Then I feel a lot more comfortable saying all right for the rest of the draft, now we can build on sustained success. Let's build and develop guys that are the best player at that position when we pick right instead of just drafting for necessary need.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed it, Lejay, and we'll save a breakfast sandwich for you.
Speaker 4: Oh please, dude, man, I don't eat ham though. Can it be like turkey bacon?
Speaker 2: Sure? We'll get that though, I like that