Speaker 1: Yep, it's the one more dangerous, wanting to show the Breakfast Club Charlamagne the God just hilarious, envyous out.
Speaker 2: But Lauren la Rossa is in and.
Speaker 1: As promised, her mama called up here and said, you better have my baby up there to talk about that book.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bria Baki is here.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me, and thank you mommy for making sure.
Speaker 4: That's why I said, it's mommy the manager. Mommy needs to be the manager.
Speaker 2: Your mama.
Speaker 1: Fine, and I mean that respect, I mean that respectfully, beautiful woman. Okay, no disrespect. Okay, yes, yes, yes, I'm just saying. I'm just saying. Now Rooted, Sim is your best friend. Sim works here at the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: How do you how to fall? You and Sim go back?
Speaker 3: We went to middle school together and like from then on, we've just been locked in. We thought we were both going to be in medicine, and now she's obviously up here doing this and I'm writing books. So it worked out exactly as supposed to be. But yeah, we've been locked in for years.
Speaker 2: She's the one who gave me a copy of Rooted. Yes, that was a while ago. How long ago? I don't even.
Speaker 3: Remember, and she said he was pretending like you didn't read it. I did read it, I know, but he was playing with her, you know, because.
Speaker 2: I'm always playing with them.
Speaker 1: And because she didn't, she only gave it to me wanted she It was two books she gave me, and she kept asking me, did I read them?
Speaker 2: Did I read them?
Speaker 1: I read this one, yeah, because it was interested in me because I'm from South Carolina. This happens a lot in the low Country, and.
Speaker 3: Our families land is in North Carolina. So I was peeping that.
Speaker 4: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: I didn't read it, but I'm just captivated by the title.
Speaker 4: What is it about?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Okay? So, in general, the book is about black.
Speaker 3: Land ownership, the fact that we owned more land one hundred years ago than we do now. And I'm sure the people in this room and people listening to know land is where you really build wealth, like property, real estate, that's where it goes. So the fact that we've been losing land while White America has been continuing to get these gains means that this racial wealth gap we keep talking about is because of this land laws. So I started writing this book because my family has land in North Carolina. My grandfather passed away in twenty nineteen, and on his deathbed, he was like, don't sell the land, because that happens a lot of times. An older black person passes on and they'd are sure if someone in the next generation values it enough to keep it in the family. And so it's just really important to us, Like, no, we're not letting this go anywhere. That land means everything to us. There's no price that we will accept for it. But what we have now is still a fraction of what we used to have, even like my great grandfather owned and like, I'm a sixth generation Black landowner. So the first person in my family to own land was my great great great grandfather Louis Baker. He bought land like ten years after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. And so to go from that legacy to now, it's like, how could I not value this? And unfortunately in this country, black is kind of like they equate it with urban so they think we only live in cities. But most Black people live in the South, and most Black people come from grandparents who lived in these rural areas but were disconnected just around the time when we could have made some money from it. So that's really what I wanted the book to be, is like we need to be champion in Black landownership, whether you're getting it on your own, whether we fighting for reparations. But that needs to be a conversation in our community because that's where real equity comes from.
Speaker 6: I was gonna ask you, with all that history, how do you feel about like landbanks and what they do today?
Speaker 4: Because there's like the pros of it.
Speaker 6: I think people are inclusion and people and get the land easier, but then there's conds of like people feeling like the landbanks only sell and like work with different people. Certain people, certain developers like you kind of get closed out if youn't have a certain amount of money.
Speaker 4: So how do you feel about Labanik? Yeah, I think some of I love that you brought that up.
Speaker 3: I feel like some of the landbanks are really good and they're trying to get land in the hand of black and Indigenous and like people who don't historically get a chance. But in anything in this country, there's always going to be people who are doing it and it's like their way to get cheaper stuff to people who really don't need the cheapest stuff, like they're already good. But I do think that some people are doing it in a really good way, where like like climate justice conservation groups will give land to black and indigenous people because like, you'll treat the lamb better than this company will, right, you'll treat this lamb better than this private developer will. But it's kind of rare to find these landbanks that will do it in that way. But again, that's why I'm a big champ in reparations, because landbanks could be a form of reparations if you dictate that it has to be going to black people and black families.
Speaker 4: Who come from this history.
Speaker 3: But if we all got to save up the money, scrounge up the money to buy al it, I mean it'll take forever for us to all become landowners in that way because not everybody has the down payment money, especially when you're talking acres that's not just a house, right, Like, that's not just a condo. That's that's really going to cost like ten k plus per acre that you want. So if you want a lot and to have buildings on it, it gets expensive. So I think the landbanks are just a good way of making it more accessible to people. They just got to make sure it's accessible to the right people.
Speaker 1: You know, in the book, you talk about how reparations is a racial and economic justice policy as well as a climate imperative. So how do you outline the bunk common myths about the difficulty of enacting reparations?
Speaker 2: But also too, I wonder why we got away from wanting the.
Speaker 3: Forty acres right exactly, because that's where reparations came from, was right after the Civil Wars, Like we want our forty eights and a mute, and we still talk about that. You know, Spike Lee has the production company, but it's almost like we talk about forty acres and a mule or reparations as pigs flying, Like, oh, that's never going to happen. They never going to do that for us. It's like, why are we defeating ourselves? We have to demand it. To me, anyone in this country who believes that slavery should not have happened should support reparations. It should be that simple, because how you don't believe in slavery, but you won't actually do anything to change it for the people who are the descendants of not having benefited from it. So to me, it's just that's one of the biggest myths is it's just like, oh, it'll just never happen, and it's like they give out money like it's nothing all the time. Ukraine got the money that should have been our reparations. Israel got the money that should have been our reparations, like the Pentagon. So the money is out there, they're just not given it to us, and we have to start demanding our fair share of it, especially because every election cycle they're coming around begging for our votes.
Speaker 4: What are you offering in exchange? And why is reparation such a bad word.
Speaker 3: And then the other thing that gets to used is black celebrities actually are used as an excuse. Oh you don't need reparations. You got to Oprah, you got Michael Jordan. Black people are already making money. The fact that you can name them means it's not widespread enough, right, Like if I was saying, oh, white America has money, like I think Chris Tucker or Chris Rock, one of them has this like stand up where he's like, yeah, in my neighborhood, it's like me and a bunch of black comedians and then like.
Speaker 4: That crazy.
Speaker 3: So how come we have to be superstars to live next door to a dentist and accountant or whatever. Like, any black person should be able to access it the same way that white people can. And the fact that you have to be exceptional to get your fair share in this country is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I want you to speak to the land thing for reparations a little bit more, because you know, Aaron Magrude had created this show called Black America and it was an all history drama that black Americans had received the southern states of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama has reparations for slavery and with that land they were able to shape their freedom. And the show never came out, but it was an idea that he had. How do you think that would have played up?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it would have been major because those states that you're talking about had predominantly black majority like populations, so that's where black people were. So if you actually like think, especially at that time, agriculture was the economy. Now, you can make your money in a lot of different ways, but back then you needed land to be able to compete in any way. So if you didn't own the land, you was a sharecropper, like, you're not making no money that way, you barely make an even So I really I think if those things had happened in the timeline when it should have, it would have been monumental because that's where most of us was.
Speaker 4: And there are some places where we saw that. There was examples of.
Speaker 3: Former plantations that after the Civil War had been burned to the ground. Confederate widows were like, I can't afford to rebuild this. I'll just sell it for pennies on the dollar to this Black people thinking I'm getting over on them, But we always make a dollar out of fifteen cents. And so you had these formerly enslaved people turning their plantations into communities that were so vibrant, and then when they see us doing well, they're like, way, let me get that back from you actually, And that's what happens in places like Tulsa, Wilmington, even Atlanta. Like you had these predominant black communities that somehow, without having their forty ecres and the mule, were able to figure it out. And it's like even when we pick ourselves up by our broup straps, they still waiting to take that like wait, you wasn't supposed to do that. Well, I didn't expect exact black wall streets.
Speaker 2: People don't talk about women's in North Carolina at all at all.
Speaker 1: They when they talk about when they have those conversations about things that they took from us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it needs to be talked about because actually, and this is like something I talk about in the book, there is like on paper.
Speaker 4: Proof of this.
Speaker 3: The folks in Tulsa went to the people in women to because the Wilmington massacre happened in eighteen ninety eight and Tulsa massa happened in nineteen twenty one. They literally were like, teach us how you did that and learned it. They did that too in Atlanta in nineteen oh six. There was a massacre in Atlanta where they were like, hey, black people are getting into positions of power here. We got black politicians, black entrepreneurs, this is crazy. Oh, but in Wilmington, they just figured out how to how to get them out teach us. And so it was like they were it was like a think tank for how to be a white supremacist, Like, okay, teach us how to get black.
Speaker 4: People out of here.
Speaker 3: And Tulsa became this like big example of it, and it deserves to be because you still have survivors who are going into court at like one hundred and five, one hundred and six years old, trying to get there. Just do We're not even just talking about descendants, right right, and.
Speaker 4: They and they got museums.
Speaker 3: And if you go through Tulsa in the in the in the sidewalks, it'll tell you there used to be a barber shop here and it was burned down in nineteen twenty one. It used to be a dry cleaners here, it was burned down in nineteen twenty So you know exactly which businesses worth where. Why are you not giving reparations to those direct like these were people who were kids running for their lives when it was happening. But yeah, Wilmington was definitely the blueprint. And I think people ignore that because they don't want to be accountable, especially in like the Carolinas. They don't want to be accountable to the fact that, like, we did that here, and what would it mean to have to give it back? What would it mean to have to say sorry, I.
Speaker 1: Read, I read, I read your book and I hear you talking. You're so passionate about this, Like where did that passion come from? Like it's one thing to know about something, but to be passionate about it and wanted to be your life's working.
Speaker 4: A way, and you're like a historian too. I appreciate you and.
Speaker 5: I want to know how She like, yeah, well, I will say, like I've always been very studious, so I think I do have that memory for stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But my mom used to joke like, oh, we sent you to Yale to be a doctor, you came back a black panther.
Speaker 4: But it was it was horrible. I did not like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think so growing up where Samantha and I grew up in Long Island, but we're in this like black and brown bubble. Everybody's kind of on the same footing, Like I'm the lightest person in the room in Long in that part of Long Island that I'm in, going from that to Yale where I was, Like, I remember growing up and thinking because by the time I was conscious of it, I got a black president.
Speaker 4: Obama became president when I was in.
Speaker 3: Middle school, and so I'm thinking, like minority, that's an out dirty term. I'm not a minority, like all I see when I look around is black people. And then I got to Yale and I said, oh, this is where y'all were, Like there is this white majority and the amount of wealth, Like you can't even wrap your mind around how much money some.
Speaker 4: Of these people have. The institution.
Speaker 3: When I was at Yale, they had a twenty billion dollar endowment, which is their investment portfolio sitting in a bank account somewhere making money.
Speaker 4: Now, eight years.
Speaker 3: After I graduated, that is a forty five billion dollar endowment. Like, it's so much money there, but you still try so anyway, it was a very like radicalizing experience when you realize there's people with enough money to completely change the lives of people you grew up with, but they would never open up their bank accounts to do it because their job is to just keep collecting, collecting, collecting, and never make it in service of anybody. So I would say that was a big moment for me. And also, I'm going to college at Yale when the Black Lives Matter movement is popping off, when Occupy Wall Street is popping off, So there's just a lot of conversations. Bernie Sanders is talking about this top one percent, and it just has you really thinking like I'm going to school with them though, like that they're here and what.
Speaker 4: Do I want to do?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I just remember thinking I cannot sit in nobody's lab for the next ten.
Speaker 4: Years while we're getting being killed in the streets.
Speaker 3: And then as I got older, because my grandparents are from North Carolina, I felt like to me, activism was the Black Panthers, was Angela Davis, was being in a city with the bullhorn. But I had to realize growing up that I had been kind of like downplaying the activism of the South, that there are people who their activism was buying land, holding onto it, employing people, giving.
Speaker 4: People a job, feeding themselves.
Speaker 3: Even now during the pandemic was the first time a lot of people realize how dependent they are on somebody else to eat. If the grocery store shelves are empty, what are you going to do for your family? You don't know how to grow nothing.
Speaker 2: That's what all the activism was. That's what the civil rights you know, the movement was in the.
Speaker 3: South, right, it was all on the South, but it was in southern cities though it was in Selma's, in Birmingham's and Atlanta's but black people were as far as like working class black people were in the Moonies, like where my family is is still very rule.
Speaker 4: When we were kids going there, they didn't have no WiFi, and I was like, I want to go home. I don't want to be here.
Speaker 3: But you grow to appreciate it when you're like, but they're breathing fresh air, they're drinking clean water, and it just sounds so theoretical to an extent until eggs is the price of eggs is going up, until they doing recalls on chicken, and then all of a sudden people want to talk about where's the farmers at? And then you realize, like, oh, they've been fighting by themselves for a really long time. So I really have to credit my grandparents because it was after my grandfather died that I was like, man, I wish i'd asked you more questions while you were alive. And my grandmother was like, I'm here, and I just sat there, asked her question after question after questions. She's my research partner for the book. She would take me around. You got to talk to Uncle Ed and we gonna ask him these questions because he remembers this better than me. And then I would corroborate it by going into these different places to like, okay, but where on paper can I find that that really happened? And there are records out there, So I would say to anyone who's thinking, like that's so cool that she did that, talk to your elders, talk to your grandparents, your great aunts and uncles like they're still if they're still alive, talk to them. There's stuff that they've survived and if through and things that they're probably like, yeah, that got taken from us too.
Speaker 4: That's our story too.
Speaker 3: And with this reparations woman going, the more proof you have of that, the more you can actually try and get your land back. There are black families getting their land back, and like it's happening in little pieces here and there, but we can be that movement that brings it together.
Speaker 5: And to your point, like you said, you know, you don't even know. It takes like a pandemic or something to happen where you'll be like, damn, like I don't know how to I'm I can't go to the market. How am I going to feed? And you know, how am I going to buy food? And everything like that. And it wasn't until I met my fiance. He was told I used to cray jokes on all the time. He was talking about farming. You know, we got this land, let's grow this on. I'm like, grow, but he do all of that.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, that's why you got to bring that up.
Speaker 5: Yes, but he is, yes, but well but yes, he's still he's saying that, like, YO, got all this land, less less, less, grow everything, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, dang, you's not like the movie.
Speaker 5: Let's not leave the world, but it's the real it's rain and you have to.
Speaker 3: You have to do that, and if you wait until you need it, it's too late. You have to learn the skill before you need it. And I'm actually glad that you did bring it up because I will say, like black people, historically, we are the ones who were forced to work this land. So the fact that we're so far removed from what it means to work this land is like systematic. It's intentional because when we were working the land, we were doing it forcibly, with no pain. The moment we could start making money for it is like actually we we could find somebody else to do. It's like wait a second, now, we don't know how to do it. But I really think that like Mexican Americans, Chicanos in California, like they're they're in a similar boat. They're the ones picking strawberries out in California with the will fires. It's crazy, well what you want to call it, in the same situation where it's like they want us to work the land when they can profit off of it. And then the moment that we start to be entrepreneurial and get our own arms off the ground, all of a sudden, it's like, actually, I got a machine that can do that. Actually I got some like I could take advantage of an immigrant community and they can do it because I don't want to pay you your fair share. So we got to be able to own our own land to decide what actually happens on it.
Speaker 4: How do you go ahead?
Speaker 6: How do you feel like what's happening right now with Trump and like DEI and the mass deportation, Like do you feel like that's going to remove us as black people or just people of color from things or do you feel like it's going to make us trying to figure out the roots and the land like all that more, Like what do you think is of O do you predict?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I feel like it's gonna be a little bit of both. He's definitely eliminating our ability to do this through the federal government, Like people who are working for the USDA trying to make change in this agency that has historically discriminated against us are now not being able to do that work. Anything that's in the guise of equity or justice for us is oh, we don't need that program actually anymore.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: I think though, that that's going to make us turn and do other things to bring back the Black panthers. They were the main ones saying, listen, they're not feeding our people. We gonna feed our people. They're not educating us, we'll educate us. They're not providing us healthcare. We gonna open the clinic. And I think sometimes it's not like.
Speaker 4: You're wishing for the situation.
Speaker 3: We don't want a Trump administration, but sometimes it's like the juxtaposition, the contrast of him, that orange man in the office doing this makes us more creative and innovatively say I'm not gonna wait around because I don't got four years. We don't got four years to wait, And we see in this literally in our family group chat, They're like, I'm only shopping and breeze backyard from now on until they get this land thing together. But it's like for real, though, Like what if we were all growing something and we could just afford to say, let's share what we're growing. You growing potatoes and tomatoes and cumbers, so I'm gonna come to you for that. I got the chicken, so we provide the eggs. So and so got this so they can provide. Like what if that was the thing, or for those who don't live in a place where they have the land to do it, if you find the black farmers because in New York State, we're downstate, but there's.
Speaker 4: So many farms upstate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like what does it mean to find the black farmers upstate and shop from them because they're still growing, they still got their land. So I think it's gonna make us remember that we can be autonomous, we can be doing things for ourselves. And a lot of those programs at the Black Panthers started, the federal government was.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, we're gonna do that too. Y'all doing a free breakfast program.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do that, y'all doing educating your young people will do a head start, Like the government learns that what black people do will benefit everybody, and so they will pick it up later.
Speaker 4: But we can't wait around for them.
Speaker 1: So I want us to learn that what we do will benefit us. You know, when you talk about the black pants is you got to talk about the Nation of Islam. You gotta talk about Marcus Goarvey movement. They've been teaching us to do for self whatever. Yeah, that should have never not been our model.
Speaker 3: But I mean talk about the moment that we're in now. Marcus Garvey's movement was killed because they deported him. He was Jamaican and they said, let's find him in anything we can catch him in. They got him on mail fraud or something like that, something like what harm is he doing?
Speaker 4: But we're seeing that now.
Speaker 3: It's like in the name of we're deporting criminals. No, you're deporting people who are working, who are keeping food on our table. And so we have to be really vigilant too, Like we got to build stuff out and we got to defend the programs are building and make sure that it can't be dismantled so easily.
Speaker 4: And sometimes I feel like social.
Speaker 3: Media makes it very easy for us to bite away our own Like you see black people building a movement, and there's more critique in the common section than offers of help, and we got to be willing to actually from us too, you know, Like I saw that would blms more people.
Speaker 4: I'm mad at the end. I'm like, wait, but what if we like we can do more together? Yeah, we do more together.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you about Yale, right, because were you always a political science major or was everything that was going on in the world at the time did that make you?
Speaker 4: That made me political science?
Speaker 3: I actually entered yellow physics major and pre med and then I switched sophomore year and like never looked back and was political science.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's just like I mean, especially at Yale, like you see now a lot of the people doing this stuff Jade Vance Yale grad Like, so I'm looking around, like which one of y'all is going to be I'm protesting one day, like because I know it's gonna be one of y'all, but like that's where it is. So it's like, in essence, it's like my job as a Yell alum is to be a traitor to what the other alum is about to do and to resist them full force because they're built. These institutions are built to consolidate power, and they only want people who are going to keep power in the same places. And I'm really all about like, No, I want the power, the information that I've gotten from Yale. I want to siphon it away and bring it to us, like for more of.
Speaker 4: Us to know this. And I love that through the book, like.
Speaker 3: People will say, oh, yeah, like my grandparents did have this land, or maybe I don't come from a family that had land in this country, but I want to. I want to be the generation that starts that. And what's the path to it? Oh, I got to put my land in a trust so that it doesn't ever get taken after I pass away.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 3: It takes information to get there, and we got to get into those rooms and bring the information back out with us and not get stuck in the room thinking I'll be the only one in there. Like No, it probably would have been easier to graduate Yale and try and just be a doctor who did it on her own and whatever the case may be. But and not to shape I mean, we also need black doctors.
Speaker 4: We need all of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I also was just like, we need people to like speak truth to power, and I wanted.
Speaker 4: To be one of those people.
Speaker 1: I just got two more questions because you know, just she got to prove Around ten forty five in the book, you talk about returning equity to dispossess people can heal both the land and our nation soul. What are some things we can do to make that happen? And why do you feel that way?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I feel that way because America is obsessed with getting up. We want to be postracial. We want to be post racial. You cannot do that without addressing the problem. And one thing that I've noticed is like, I think there's a lot of people in America who don't understand black anger. And to me, it's like, but if you address the issue, I might have nothing to be angry about. But when I was in Detroit for the book tour, I was talking about this and eminent domain especially, and there was an older black woman in the audience who was like, Yeah, when I was a kid in the sixties, they came through our middle class community and took the whole community. It was like a hundred families. There so many black owned businesses took the whole community through eminent domain, didn't build anything in.
Speaker 4: Its place for fifty years. It was just vacant. And what that does to a person?
Speaker 3: She said, her uncle owned three properties in that neighborhood, and she was like, what it did to my uncle. When you spend your whole life savings building this out and watch the government take it? Why would that make me want to be an upstanding citizen? How can I go from that and want to be like I can't even be around it, Like it would make my skin crawl to be around people thinking like you did this to me and like it, you know, and as a man as a provider, thinking like wow, like I did everything the way they told me I'm supposed to do, and they still took it, and they said it's one hundred percent legal, and there's nothing I can do about it that will make you angry for a lifetime. So if y'all tired of black people being angry, do the thing to make its not angry.
Speaker 4: I promise you.
Speaker 3: If they started giving out reparations, legalizem like there's I ain't got nothing to I'm.
Speaker 4: Gonna be on my land doing my own thing.
Speaker 3: I don't got no beef, go and do what you gotta do and like, but if you don't address the problem, it's always going to be there.
Speaker 4: So how we get there? There are only I believe New York.
Speaker 3: State is the third state to have established a commission and a task force for actually exploring what reparations would look like. California already already has one, Illinois has one. There's some cities, like there's a city in North Carolina that is also building it out. But it's very locally happening right now, and we have to support those things. So for those who are in New York, you can support that and why the number four reparations dot org New York for Reparations dot org, and you can learn more about how to support that movement, because I think we have to. We have to stop acting as if it's never gonna happen, and we have to make it happen. There's a global movement right now for reparations. It's not just us in America. You got African nations saying I want my stuff back and I don't want to be a part of the Commonwealth no more. You got places in the Caribbean saying yeah, actually, I don't acknowledge the British crown no more, and we want to be there's this movement happening. Give us our stuff back from the Museians, give us our art back, give us our jewels back. We got to get our wealth back too, and we can't wait for I hope it happens. No, we got to work for it to happen, and in the meantime be doing everything you can to get you a little piece of land.
Speaker 4: So that's really where I'm at.
Speaker 3: I think there's also another organization, where is my land dot org. They had a successful campaign. If people are familiar with the Bruce's Beach in California, oh yeah, yeah, So there was like a the Bruce family had built a hotel and a resort on the beachfront in it in like the thirties, and their land was taken through eminent domain. The city did absolutely nothing with it, and in twenty twenty, a brilliant organizer named Kavan Ward was like, I'm tired of Californians acting like they're better than the rest of the country, and y'all have racism right in your backyard and until y'all give this black family their land back, like you have no moral authority to be telling nobody else from anywhere else anything. And that family got their land back, twenty million dollars worth of land back, so like, it is possible, but we have to support it. So I would say some of the easiest ways are eminent domain reversals because you don't need a President Trump to sign off on nothing. All she had to do was go to Los Angeles County and say, hey, this happened in this county. Y'all signed off on that. Now y'all can sign off to give it back. They have dozens of campaigns going around, so you can sign their petitions, you can donate to support them. There's a lot of people trying to do this work and they're kind of doing it by themselves or they're building these coalitions and they don't have a lot of visibility.
Speaker 4: So for people who are.
Speaker 3: Saying, wow, I've never even heard of this stuff, like, yeah, just look it up New York for reparations, see what the California Task Force is doing. And if you're listening from another state and they don't have that, y'all should and you don't have to. It's not like you're starting it from scratch. The blueprint is already elsewhere. Say, how did New York do it? Can we learn from them? How did California do it? Can we learn from them? And how can we start getting landbad for you?
Speaker 1: Have you been paying attention to what's going on in places like Chicago? Like you know, we had a ma homegirl zo up here and she's been talking about how the Chicago Housing Authority has stolen so much land, including her mother's property.
Speaker 2: Have you paid attention to that.
Speaker 3: I didn't specifically hear about her campaign, but I have heard about this happening in Chicago because yeah, in urban community just happens too, whether it's through eminent domain or they'll take a blighted property.
Speaker 4: But it's a difference.
Speaker 3: If a home own it is abandoned, the land under it should still belong to whoever owned that. They should never be taking the land from someone, even if they say, hey, we got to tear down this house and build something up, better cool, do that on my land for me, right, like if you shouldn't be taking my land. And also in Chicago, I think they were doing pretty good work about the fact that homeowners, like if a black homeowner is saying, oh, I'm trying to sell my house, how much is it worth? Their houses are being appraised for like six figures less than what a white family is. Like if you took down all the pictures of your black family your house and then try to sell it, they would value it more. So they are people trying to shift that policy, shift tax codes.
Speaker 4: Why are we paying more taxes in.
Speaker 3: Communities that have worse schools, worse roads, no infrastructure. So there's a lot of people trying to attack us from different areas. And I think it's all important, Like not everybody needs to move to a farm and grow something, but everybody deserves a piece of land with at least the backyard in the back there's enough to go around. If Bill Gates didn't have all of it, could we could all afford to have a nice piece of something. And this scarcity mindset they try to teach us is we have to push back against like this idea that even sometimes what I see is they try to pit our groups together against one another, where when I start talking about reparations, someone's like, well, actually it's all indigenous land.
Speaker 4: Well there's enough.
Speaker 3: For us all to have some Indigenous folks should have their land back too. Black people should have some land, Latinos, whether they are coming as workers on, Like, there's enough for all of us to have something. And in this richest country in the world, why are we accepting, Oh, there's not enough to go around. I just don't believe that. I don't believe that, and I'm not going to ever believe that. And so, actually, to the point of New Yorker's for reparations, there's a collective. I'm a part of Bliss Black liberation, Indigenous sovereignty, and we're trying to be in solidarity with one another and say, hey, they can.
Speaker 4: Never pit me against you.
Speaker 3: I want you to have land too, and I want me to have lant to and both of our answers acknowledge, like there's enough for us to get this, get to it together. We don't got to fight over it, because while we're fighting over it, they vacationing on their Wyoming ranch.
Speaker 4: They in Hawaii with it.
Speaker 3: They everywhere own the land, and we're fighting for two acres over here.
Speaker 4: I'm not here for that. There's enough for all of us to go around.
Speaker 2: I got one. Well, I think we can do it. That I did have one last question that was good.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Bria Baker rooted the American legacy of land theft and the modern movement for black land ownership is out right now.
Speaker 2: We can they get at you, Bria.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 3: You can follow me at Freckled while Black on social media. I also have a website Bria Baker dot com and the book is in stores everywhere. Don't buy it from Amazon though we boycotting them too. Just about to ask you, what is your book on Amazon? It is on Amazon, is on Target, but we boycotting both of those places right now.
Speaker 1: Your Instagram name right so you can find it there.
Speaker 4: I might be off of them too, so that's why I said the website breaker dot com. That's want to use it listen, you know, just.
Speaker 3: But there's black bookstores everywhere. Get it from a black bookstore. If you're like I don't want to go in person, bookshop dot org will let you buy it from a local bookstore and make sure that your money is going to someone who also wants to see us win. Because buying a book about black land from a company that don't want to see you own no land is a little crazy.
Speaker 1: But listen.
Speaker 3: You gotta get it. Get it where you gotta get it. You gotta get it.
Speaker 2: It's in Target too and Walmart. Right the Breakfast Club