Speaker 1: Hello Texans, and welcome to the program. And it's a unique show because here we are in the midst of training camp. We had Texans Training Camp live this morning, but with no practice. We were inside in the hun Day Texans Radio studio where we are right now, and it was a great show. We had the general on. We'll have some of the best of that conversation coming up soon enough. And also Shelby Coppage, our preseason TV sideline reporter, catch us up with Marlon kleinb. We played that late in the show, so I think we're going to do that again very soon here in this program. And also among other audio items you probably missed if you're just listening this time of day and you don't get to listen during the day much. In the Loop gets great guests every day on the practice field. One of them recently Kamari Lasseter cornerback extraordinaire. We'll hear that conversation as John and Reggie caught up with Kamari now wearing number three in your program, Man, a lot of number juggling, and it was going on early in camp and often and Monday, remember jadeveon Clowney signs Sunday he agreed to terms, and then we noticed number changes as players were filing out Monday morning. Logan Hall going to ninety six, did that voluntarily so Clowney could get ninety. Mario Edwards reinked, he went to ninety seven. Don't ask me who moved out of every number that was given up or moved, because I'm trying to memorize who has the numbers now. So Camari is number three. He had number four last year, but he wore three in college. Got it good? We'll have him on and I think the Clowny conversation which picked up a lot of steam this week. A lot of people heard that eight am on Tuesday. We're going to rerun that later on in the program. Why not, because it's so good. You know what else is so good? Breaking news earlier today, reports got out that Henry toa toa oh Henry Sides of contract extension heading into year four of his rookie deal. They inked him to an extension reportedly, and this is great news. In fact, Dimiko Ryans was asked about Henry's contribution to the defense yesterday and had this to say about the linebacker from Alabama.
Speaker 2: Well, Henry brings to our defense. He brings his smart calmness to our defense.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He's always in position, always exactly where he should be, So he's you can.
Speaker 3: Count on him. You can put a lot on his play.
Speaker 2: He can handle thing. He can play the mic and the wheel position. Very versatile guy. And Henry plays with passion and fire man that rubs off on the other guys like to see him play. It's fun to watch him play. And you mix him in with a Zas and Lasseter. Got some wild and crazy guys running around who love to hit, love to play physical. But Henry is a guy that I feel I can always count on, like asking guys to probably change up techniques and put him in those situations where I may want to change some things.
Speaker 4: Henry is a guy.
Speaker 2: Who can take the coaching well and go apply it on the field and put himself in position to make plays for man.
Speaker 1: I love hearing the news about Henry to Atta and the contract extension.
Speaker 3: Great stuff.
Speaker 1: We'll be back at practice in the morning. Guy's been that practice. As the Hall of Famer John McClain half century of professional football coverage and this the twenty fifth Texans training camp and Johnny and I visited with the general and talked about a number of things, and let's start it off here with the general thoughts on CJ. Stroud and the offense, and the fact that I said, I think it's going a lot better than last year's camp.
Speaker 5: Well, every year everybody says it's the best camp. You go back and you listen to your shows.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: The chronicle this camp was better than the camp before, and this one, you know, you didn't have questions about Straud like they do now, and I don't think they're fair questions unless you're just basing it on the New England game. And he's been a good quarterback. He's won playoff games three years in a row. He's so much more comfortable in Kaylee's system. Kaylee's more comfortable with him than the other players because Nick knows what they are capable of and what they're not and the efficiency of getting to the line of scrimmage with plenty of time to change things that they had to it will be a smoother operation. Stroud has made some great rows. He's made some bad throws, but it's hard to make consistently good throws when you got guys like Will Anderson Junior and Danil Hunter in your face all the time. And that's a good thing for the Texans, and I guess it's a good thing for the offense because they're going to run into that during the season. But there's been a couple of rows that Stroud made yesterday when they were just pinpoint perfect, and he's got good young receivers. Of course, everybody loves seeing Tankdell out there in full pads, even though he couldn't participate in everything, but just the fact that he's out there and when he's standing next to Nico College and Jade and Higgins, he looks like one of them brought their kid to practice. But everybody loves Tank. He'll get to do more as they get closer to the season. But everywhere I go, I'm I know it's like this with you guys, and people are so pumped about the Texans. And if you think about it, you got the Texans. A lot of people think their Super Bowl contenders. Certainly got a great Super Bowl winning defense, and then Hashtros are in first place. The Rockets are really good. University of Houston's coming off the ten wins season. This is a great time for sports in Houston, and we have other winning teams too, But if you're a fan here, it's a tremendous time to be here because we know when there were times that it was just the opposite.
Speaker 4: General. You mentioned Tank and the impact he can have, and I know it's probably hard for everybody to really figure out, but they've really ramped him up slow. He didn't do much in the first week. Yesterday he did individual. Where do you kind of stand on where Tank might be and if he is healthy enough, how much do you think at this point, because we talked about it for almost two years now, you can't really know. I guess what Tank can bring to the team in twenty twenty six, but boy, it's really exciting to think about what kind of your thoughts on Tank Dell as it sits right now in twenty twenty six, John, What.
Speaker 5: We do know If Tank has worked his butt off to come back from one of the worst injuries you can have, especially for a receiver whose strength is running and cutting and that's what he does best. And you know you saw his workout videos that he would put online. But you're thinking, okay, that's when you're out there by yourself. Now you see him out there running around with other people, not in on every play, and opponents are just as interested as we are. You know, they're like, okay when we play them. Is he going to be the kid before the injury? Is it going to be this season? Next season? I'm assuming when they have three receivers, it'll be the two big guys Collins and Higgins and Jalen Knowell, because Higgins and Knowell going into their second year, should be able to make their biggest improvement when Tank comes in. And I would think if he could catch thirty passes this year for four or five hundred yards and three or four touchdowns, that would be pretty darn good for a kid in which just about everybody taught his career to be over after that terrible injury in Kansas City. And I'm guessing he'll be more comfortable as the season goes on, and especially over the second half of the season when they're playing for home field advantage and trying to have the best breakerd in AFC and when in the AFC South, we'll see Tank get even better. But just having him out there that just uplifts everybody and not just the team that uplifts the fans something else. We know that Texans have great doctors, they have great read people. The McNair's give them whatever they need financially to get the best possible equipment to help them get in STAPs, stay in shape and then rehead from injury. So there's kinda is up to Tank and God and I think when he comes out on the field for the first time, so I got home Demiko in the first game against Buffalo introduces the offense and has Tank running out on the field with the offense to hear the emotion that'll come from the crowd because he is a favorite, not just because of what he did at you of age, but you know, people love the little guy. And he's five eight and one sixty five and it's going to be a tremendous success story and just maybe he'll be in the running for comeback Player of the Year.
Speaker 1: In the NFL General Week three, the Texans go play the Horseshoe and Shane Steichen has a worst record against the Texans than Jeff's Saturday Saturday O and oh because he never faced the Texans, right too, Wait did we see.
Speaker 4: Saturday that year? Yeah, he's owned one because he was the coach at the end of twenty oh he was the coach at the end of the year. Saturday is own one.
Speaker 1: He's only one, but Stike it is one in five. Yes, so there, it's worse than Jeff's Saturday. So here are the Colts with Jonathan Taylor making well, earning a forty four million dollars two year extension, and Daniel Jones getting paid. And this is what the Colts have to invest just to keep their heads above water and stay competitive in the world of professional football. But what do you think of Taylor's deal and Indy's camp so far? With Jones seemingly in good health, they say he can do everything he normally could, which is just bizarre considering he had an achilles injury fairly late.
Speaker 5: Taylor is a great running back. Nobody knows that more than the Texans and people who watch the Texans, and anything he gets is good for him. He's earned it.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: They were eight and two. I believe when Jones got hurt eight and one, they started. Will they be able to do that again? You know, if you taught earlier in the year man the Texans, they're going to battle the Titans for last place. They're zero and three. The wheels have come off of Demico Ryans's team and then all of a sudden they made that dramatic turnaround and became one of the best teams in the NFL, and the Colts faded at the end. I think the ASC South is going to be terrific. He got thirteen and twelve win teams coming back. You got the Colts with a quarterback who helped them start six games about five hundred and I'm guessing the Titans will be better, but they'll still be a distant last. But it's going to be fun. It's going to be competitive, and it's never fun going up against the Colts. But you know, Texans don't have any problem playing there. They have problems playing some places, but not in Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you, did the Jats get screwed in the prime time scheduling this year in that they've got a Thursday nighter, They've got a Monday night or December fourteenth, and it's with Pittsburgh at home, and they've got Dallas late December on the road, so they have two really legit ones. So basically this is three prime time games. I know they have the London games, and maybe that puts a fly in the ointment as far as scheduling for them because those are national games. But they're out of the morning. Come on, So what do you think of the Jags scheduling?
Speaker 4: It feels like.
Speaker 1: The league is not high on the Jags. But maybe I'm wrong because the two primetime games they have are in December.
Speaker 5: Maybe the league remembers the last time they won the division and they won a playoff game with the greatest comeback in Jaguars' playoff history, and then they fell on their face and didn't do squat the next year.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm also that.
Speaker 5: Can you totally? You know Travis Hunter. They're making a big deal about him and all the weight and strength he's gained, and they had a tremendous season under Lam Cohen. And if Liam Cohen is like Ben Johnson and there were two of those offensive coordinator gurus just waiting to pick their jobs, if he's the real deal as a head coach, then they're going to be battling the Texans and the Nico Ryans every step of the way. But did they get screwed? I don't think so. It's they did it one year, you know, the Texans have now done it three years in a row. The Texans have a defense. It's better than anything the Jaguars can put out there offensively or defensse defensively, Everybody loves watching the Texans defense. I loved all the national media comments when they signed Clowney and they're like, oh o MG, just what the Texans need to bolster their pass rush. That's already the best defense in the NFL. And so I think the Texans will win the division. I think the Jaguars will be good, but I don't think the Jaguars gonna win thirteen games again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Who in the first place schedule?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, there are points, So that means Patriots, Steelers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what, Bronco Roncos. But here's the thing. They hammered the Broncos last year in Denver.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So who's their NFC North opponent the Bears Staggle. Yeah, but we have Green Bay that's hardly a breath of fresh air. And you get Buffalo instead of New England in the East. That's not exactly a break.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So finishing second kind of stinks this year as far as the.
Speaker 4: Scheduling part of it. Yeah, yeah, Hey, general, have you watched Hard Knocks yet?
Speaker 5: I watched about thirty minutes of it last night before I started to fall asleep, so I haven't watched the whole thing. I love their rings ceremony. You know, there's no way those players can wear their rings. They could fit on two fingers. And I wish the NFL would put a cap on some of some of the rings. And I told I've told my wife Carol, I said before. I'm on the other side of the grass. I would sure love to see Hard Knocks. With the Texans getting their Super Bowl ran.
Speaker 4: Oooh, that would be nice.
Speaker 1: There's our visit with John McClain, the general, the Pro Football Hall of Famer now at training camp. A lot of ours and a lot of things, and the rookies are always a subject of conversation. Second round draft choice. We have two of them, Caden McDonald. Johnny Harris visited with him. We heard that conversation earlier the week. Marlon Kleine. We've played this late this morning, but I think a lot of you missed it. This is Shelby Cobpage, our preseason TV sideline reporter, visiting with the German tight end who played at Michigan after practice here, Shelby and Marlon Klein.
Speaker 7: Marlin, your first time in Houston was when you played in the National Championship right across the street. How is that first memory of Houston?
Speaker 8: I mean, it's a beautiful memory. You know, getting to come to work here every day, and you know that being a little reminder is awesome, but being a part of the Texas now it's a lot more home.
Speaker 7: You said that you left your family and home from Germany at fifteen years old. Who originally put that dream in your mind that you could come to the United States and getting football.
Speaker 4: I think it was myself. I think, you know, I fell in love with the sport.
Speaker 8: I grew up playing soccer and realized that that wasn't going to be my profession. So I fell in love with football, tried it out and told my parents I'm out.
Speaker 7: I heard that you and your cousins, actually your cousins came from Germany and went to a couple of World Cup games and I watched Germany is all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: How is that?
Speaker 6: I mean it was awesome.
Speaker 8: So we went to the first game here and they didn't even know that we're going to surprise him, and it was awesome. Yeah, we've never been so I mean they started crying. For a grown man to cry, you know, it meant a lot.
Speaker 7: So you're already like making so many dreams come true for the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So Nick Cayley has eight years experience as a tight end coach. How would you describe him as a coach with you.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's hands on, high energetic. I think he's awesome. I think he's exactly what I need as a coach, brings it every single day. I think, you know, he has a lot of love for the for the position, and just just having him around all the time is awesome for all of us, him being your offensive coordinator.
Speaker 7: How appreciative are you that he has so much experience with your physician.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's that's a huge part, a huge part for me in my development, but not just for me, for all the Titans that are in the room. If it's you know, if you've played eight years, if you've played one year, if you haven't played at all, I think we're all always going to learn and having him, you know, at the top is awesome for.
Speaker 3: All of us.
Speaker 7: Your first official NFL meeting was with the Texans. A couple of coaches defined you as electric. How did those original conversations go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you know, when I first walked into the meeting, I was a little nervous, a little up tight, you know, I couldn't really let my personality out. But then I think, you know, throughout the meetia.
Speaker 4: I kind of let it go.
Speaker 8: And I mean I just fell in love with the coaching staff, and I knew that that was going to be a spot where I wanted to go.
Speaker 7: How would you describe a personality in the locker room?
Speaker 4: I think a guy that gets along with everybody.
Speaker 8: I think you know that that.
Speaker 6: I think that just comes.
Speaker 8: From where I'm from moving over here, kind of getting to know everybody, you know, being around everybody. I think I can hang out with anybody and be a good guy for everybody in the locker room.
Speaker 7: The Texans hadn't drafted the title in the second round since two thousand and three. Did you know that fact?
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 6: Hew.
Speaker 7: Does that feel so good just knowing that they're putting their bets on you second round?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it's it's a blessing.
Speaker 8: It's a blessing being here and being selected by the Texans, whether it's in.
Speaker 6: The second round wherever.
Speaker 8: I think, you know, I would have been super happy to be here and if I was undrafted.
Speaker 4: So uh.
Speaker 8: But yeah, it's just just a blessing for me, my family and being a.
Speaker 1: Part of it here.
Speaker 8: Now, I just got to make account.
Speaker 7: How is it so far? Playing with CJ.
Speaker 8: Shroud?
Speaker 4: It's fun.
Speaker 8: I think you know, he's a leader. He's a guy that wants perfection, especially at that at that position that he plays. He wants perfection and he wants all of us to win at the end of the day. So he's gonna bring it every single day, put his best foot forward and make us better.
Speaker 7: Any Michigan Ohio State Shraft talk yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first day.
Speaker 6: But first day you don't have to talk about it.
Speaker 8: I want some Michigan shots.
Speaker 6: He told me to not wear him anymore.
Speaker 9: You know, So if you can't wear them, Jimmy one says, don't.
Speaker 8: Wear everyone says, so I'm still gonna rock.
Speaker 7: How is it talking to Dalton Schultzhe are you learning from him?
Speaker 3: So far?
Speaker 8: I think I learned from that guy every single day. I think he one of the smartest football players I've ever been around. You know, it might be a little Stanford you know background that he has, but I mean even Foster, Brevin, Kate Siliver, like all those guys in the room, they helped me out every single day and make me a better person, make me a better football player at.
Speaker 4: The end of the day.
Speaker 8: And that's that's what it's all about.
Speaker 7: You and hear fiance now here Houston. What are some things you'd like to do so far?
Speaker 6: And you're aware off time.
Speaker 8: To be honest with you, I don't really know much about history have you know, just moved here, so I haven't really seen much football time now, so I guess we'll see an off season.
Speaker 7: All right, Thanks so much.
Speaker 4: Goods of the season, Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Shelby Coppage, our preseason TV broadcast sideline reporter and Marlon Klein. He's gonna play a ton in these upcoming preseason games, which start a week from tonight at Reliance Stadium against the Chargers. Let's go all right, coming up, Kamari Lastitter, We've got more from gadebian Clowney, more and more and more. It's all happening here on Texans Radio. Here we are on the Hyundai Texans Radio studio during an off day for the player, although I've seen plenty of them today in the building at Reliance Stadium in advance of a Friday practice. So day off today, back to back practices Tomorrow morning and Saturday night, and then Sunday off, then practice Monday, Tuesday day before the game day.
Speaker 3: Whatever they do.
Speaker 1: Then we'll have a TV production meeting because we are producing preseason broadcast number one one week from tonight on ABC thirteen in the state wide and also in Louisiana Texans TV Network, and also the Texans Radio Network also in Louisiana. I have to say this better. I have to economize the way I put that. Anyway, looking forward to it so much. And one week from tonight, ninety five to seven, the fan debut day of Sports Radio. As that signal pumps out of Texans game August thirteenth, it's gonna be awesome. You know what else is awesome The guys from in the loop visiting with players after practice. They get some great visits. Man, they've had Nico Collins on, I can't recite everybody, Keelan Rutledge. We've played somebody's on the air because it's worth repeating a lot of you missed this during the day, but don't miss this one. Kamari Lassiter with John and Reggie.
Speaker 9: We're sitting down with a Pro Bowl cornerback, one of the ones that you loved Number three in your program, number one of your hearts famous kamarasamor Ha Man. Man, Well, honestly, I was doing great on Saturday when I'm sitting over there and I see there's you going up with Nico Collins and you're just perfectly hand fighting with the Nico doesn't even have an opportunity to look up at the ball, and it made me think. And after that you also like you showed it. Man, you showed that you were having a good time. Are you a talker on the field?
Speaker 6: It depends. It depends.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 10: I don't talk a lot on the field unless somebody starts something with me. But like I go out there, I play with confidence. I make a lot of noise. I turn my guys up. They turned me up, So yeah, I'll probably say I talk.
Speaker 4: It shows up. Who's the biggest talk that you play.
Speaker 10: Against that I played against? I don't know, a lot of people really don't talk out there, like not receivers, regis really don't talk.
Speaker 6: For it really.
Speaker 9: See, this is one of those things you think about that as like a diva position necessarily at least history, and everybody's just out there doing their work.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I would think most of the time, the only time I really hear receiver talk is like whenever they're not getting the ball, like best.
Speaker 6: On the time, Yeah, yeah, I went the ball.
Speaker 11: So let's talk about what you guys are doing out here, because everybody's talked so much about this defense, and we know what you did last year and you're starting all over and it's hard to just dial it right back up. I know you've talked about it a little bit in the off season, but today you guys just seem to, you know, full pads, seem to dial it back up. How how has that been in terms of you know, implementing you guys blanken Ship and other cornerbacks and being able to just pick up where you left off.
Speaker 10: It feels really good. You know, anytime we get on the football field, it's a blessing we take. We don't take that lightly. So I mean anytime that we're on that field, you could tell like we played with a lot of intent, a lot of aggression, a lot of detail. And the new guys they come in, they've came in and they've just missed really well. You know, we get along really great, and we was out there trying to you know, get to to come and go.
Speaker 9: One of the things that I'm always real interested in is you sliding in. Saw you doing that a little bit today, Like what challenges come with sliding inside? I like that as opposed to being outside and you know, being able to have that outside sideline as an additional defender.
Speaker 10: I feel like the biggest challenge was sliding on the inside and the slot. It's just like there's a lot more moving parts. You know, you're closer to the line, you're closer, there's more space, you know, both ways, and there's just more communication. So I feel like other than that, it's just going out there and playing ball.
Speaker 9: And I think that ties in because it feels like this off season you said that one of the things you wanted to get better at was being a leader, and I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I heard that.
Speaker 9: I was like, damn, how many more leaders can y'all have on this team, And honestly, it makes me curious because you do have a particular brand of leadership and will and disease. How do you take like, have you been able to find how to take whatever leadership that you're building into and fitted into whatever everybody else is bringing and read blanket ship and disease and will?
Speaker 10: I mean, yeah, I feel like, you know, I just lead, you know, my own way. I just do things, you know, the way that you know I'm wired. I go out there, I play ball, I play really hard. You know, I train hard. You know, I focus in and you know, if people see me, they understand that I'm working hard, so you know, they probably work just as hard themselves. And you know, guys have different ways of leadership, whether that's vocal, whether that's you know, by example. And I feel like I'm a little bit of both. You know, I don't talk a whole bunch, but like what I do is it's important. I feel like I talk about important things. So that's just kind of my style.
Speaker 11: How much of it is you just blossoming as a person. I remember talking to you over there your first year and everything's coming at you, you know, and you were you were a little more low key than you are now.
Speaker 4: You were pretty much straightforward.
Speaker 11: Do you feel like you're just sort of becoming more of yourself as the years past and you're being able to fit that role more?
Speaker 6: I definitely think so.
Speaker 10: You know, with time, you know going by and your own you know the same people, and they are all really good people with you know, the same principles, the same morals. You know, you're able to, you know, kind of open up a little bit and be more of yourself. You know, when I first came in, I didn't know anybody, so I was just like, all right, you know, let me just do my thing, and uh, you know that's my team. But you know, these are my teammates. But you know, I still got to get to learn them. You know, now I know everybody, everyone knows me, so they kind of we all just kind of know each other.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 6: It's a really good feeling.
Speaker 11: How about how about when you know, Derek Stanley comes in, he's got his hoodie on, he's kind of quiet, just comes to himself. Do you kind of feel like like, as the other cornerback, you kind of need to to maybe get him up, to get the secondary up a little bit more because he's gonna be a stud no matter what. But he is kind of just his own. He hasn't gotten a lot louder or so to speak.
Speaker 10: No, I mean, from the moment I've missed things, thing has been you know, a really good friend of me, you know what I'm saying. So I know Sting that's Sting is not a talkative person, but we talk all the time. He talks all the time, like to us, to the guy. So it's just like, you know, I don't think that I have to do too much anything. You know, we all in the corner room especially like we're all super close knit. You know, we all know each other, we all get along with each other really great. We're all good friends, you know, inside and outside of the building. So I feel like I don't have to do too much.
Speaker 4: Is it the corner group chat?
Speaker 9: Because we saw Caleb Bullock step to the podium and he was telling us that in the off season, y'all are like trading, you know, trading film and stuff and talking about some stuff. Is that the corner group chatter? Is that just you two that is firing back and forth trying to get.
Speaker 10: Better that way, Me and Ceb shoot film with each other all the time. Like sometimes he might text me at like in the middle of the night, or I might text him at the middle of night. He'll be like, how do you see this? And I'm like other way around. And then you know, in a corner group chat, we talk about all kind of stuff. It's not just football. I mean, we make jokes, we crack on each other. It's all you know, it is. It's just about, you know, getting to know each other.
Speaker 9: It's sting, the guy who's just hitting the little the little button repliers.
Speaker 10: Actual sting is a sting is sometimes an instigator in the group.
Speaker 6: Sting is funny, man, He's really funny, all.
Speaker 4: Right, So so help me out on this.
Speaker 11: I've been telling some people for these young players, like, hey, I'm from Georgia. I'm from Alabama. It gets hot down there. And I tell him, no, no, no, you don't understand.
Speaker 4: Houston is different. Is that true?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I'm from I'm from the South. I come from heat.
Speaker 10: But like it's hot in Georgia's hot, you know, but Houston is hot and it's humid at the same time, so it's like it's added on heat. And if you're not used to that, like it it could creep up on.
Speaker 6: You for sure.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about your position.
Speaker 3: Coach.
Speaker 9: Dino Vasso is a dude that I mean, people might know a name, but I don't think that we know a little bit about enough about as an actual coach, Like what is he meant to helping you become the player that you've been to this point.
Speaker 6: Dino is.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 10: I feel like Dino is a huge part of my game, you know, especially when I came and he He's taught me so many different things about the game, and like every day I just learned something new from you know, Like I feel like that's one of the greatest coaches I've ever had, you know, in football.
Speaker 6: You know, I just I'm super grateful for him. You know. Every day it's like it's easy for me to.
Speaker 10: Go into the position room because I know that he would never tell me or coach me to do anything that he didn't believe was right, you know, whether that's inside of football, outside of football. I mean, he's he's there whether it's football later or not. I mean, he's a really good coach and he's been really instrumental in like my growth.
Speaker 6: As as a football player also as a man too, So I'm grateful for them.
Speaker 11: How is it that, you know, Well, let me put it this way. We talk about I'm not putting words in your mouth. We talk about this could be an all time great defense. It really could. That's our opinion, not yours. But that's got to be back there somewhere like we are good, we know we're good. How much better can we get?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's that's really the whole mentality is like how can will was just saying today, is like, how.
Speaker 6: Can we keep leveling up?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 10: And I feel like the all time great defenses they focus on that. They don't focus on how good they are or how good they can be. They just focus on just getting better individually.
Speaker 6: Whatever. Look that that's stacking days. Well, that's stacking plays.
Speaker 10: Like if you can get better every play, then eventually by the time you get to the end of the game, you're gonna be playing at your best, like, you know, And I just feel like, whenever you have eleven guys or twenty two guys or twenty guys on the defense that are all focusing on that, that's how you become great.
Speaker 3: How about this?
Speaker 11: Not only are you guys a good defense. We know that you look up and you got the Davian Clowney coming in. You look up and you got Mario Edwards coming back. What does that do for you?
Speaker 10: You just ask more? He ask fuel to the fire as more dogs in the pack.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. You can never have too many good players. You can never have too many dogs.
Speaker 10: I feel like just adding those two guys and we already know what they bring to the table, it's just gonna help us level up more.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you are you very familiar with Clowney?
Speaker 6: I mean other than watching him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all fitted that came out bad.
Speaker 3: But I mean, have you ever had any interaction?
Speaker 6: You know, I've never met him before.
Speaker 10: Well, I saw him in the building today, but I have never had the chance to meet him before.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Can I ask you this because it feels like from our side, looking in your week one opponent, the Bills, y'all seen them a lot recently, and it feels like the secondary, I mean the defensive line.
Speaker 4: As well, have their number.
Speaker 9: Can you explained, like, what contributes to a particular dominance against a team like the Bills.
Speaker 10: Uh, it's not even worrying about dominating it's just really going out there and refusing to lose. Like we go out there, we don't want to lose a rep. So if you don't want to lose a rep, you're trying. I mean, it's gonna correlate in the entire game. Like you're not losing the rep, then you're not going to lose the game, because if they don't score, they don't win. I just feel like you go out there with that mentality and focus on the details, you make the players that come to you, you play for your brothers.
Speaker 6: Everything just flows and it comes to a circle.
Speaker 11: You guys had a good day today. From where I was sitting, the defense had a really good day. And yet you you want and need that offense, you know, And and Demiico was talking not long ago about hey, maybe we're gonna have to kind of call off the dogs a little bit, you know, that kind of thing. But you don't want that, I'm guessing just make them better with what you do.
Speaker 6: They're making us better too. I feel like it was really back and forth day.
Speaker 10: We had to meet as a defense today because we're like, that wasn't it, you know what I'm saying. So I feel like it's always gonna be back and forth. That we got a really good offense. You know, they got a lot of really good players over there, so they're gonna we just gonna continue to battle them t to get each other better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's gonna be it's gonna be really nice.
Speaker 9: I'm curious. I mean, you sound like a seven year vest. Somebody said it on the text line here. What do you see from yourself, from your perspective that's different for you right now versus when you came.
Speaker 6: Into the game.
Speaker 10: I just feel like, you know, time's past, Like I understand the game more. The game is starting to come at a slower pace. You know, players are starting to move slower. I just feel like, uh, things are just flowing in the right direction, and I'm just you know, just trying to focus on it right now. Like whenever you focus on where you're at right now, then you don't have to worry about the later, Like you know, it's just it's gonna come naturally.
Speaker 11: How big was it last year finally getting your accolades? Because the first couple of years, it's like, hey, Derek Thingley, Drek thing Like, we're over here going.
Speaker 3: Hey, look at numbers.
Speaker 11: You know, look at look at look at Kamari finally getting that Like it is two cornerbacks they.
Speaker 10: Talk about now, I mean yeah, but I don't. I don't even look at that like I think of it. Like I go out there and not ball because I love the game. I like, I like playing with my teammates, Like you know, I like the organization that I'm in. I love the organizations. So I just feel like when if you focus on that, like all the other stuff, it's gonna come. And if it doesn't, like you know, so I just keep balling and I just I just try and you know, play the game.
Speaker 9: Do you I mean, you're playing opposite Stingland, knowing that he has that people looked over and like, all right, the other cornerback's gonna get picked on.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like that's shifted at all?
Speaker 9: Or do you feel like people still don't recognize that you're over here balling on this side of the field.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't care. It can't be good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it can be good.
Speaker 10: I mean I rather than trying to pick on me, I mean that's more beneficial to me. I mean, that's more plays that I get to make. There's more opportunities that come my way, and U I mean I don't look at it any kind of way, Like I mean, you you want to throw it my way, bring it on.
Speaker 6: You want to throw it his way, bring it on. We we just don't see about it ahead.
Speaker 4: To that point.
Speaker 9: I'm always curious for again, inside versus outside. We can talk about it from the outside, but there's things that you understand. What do you I mean and I know you locked in, but what do you think that people outside of the football fraternity get most wrong about it? About me, about you, or just about the football itself?
Speaker 6: What you can tell uh?
Speaker 10: I feel like people on the outside of football don't understand this, like this part training camp, Like people just see the games, Like unless you come to training camp, you don't really understand football. You just think that it happens overnight. Like you just think that whatever they showcase on the field, that's that's just whatever. Like, Nah, it takes a lot. It's day in, day out. It's a super hard ground, like making players on the field. That it doesn't happen overnight, It doesn't happen over a week. It takes a long time. It takes a lot of you know, a lot of stress, takes a lot of you know, outside to do it, and it takes a lot of pain.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 11: So in the locker rooms, and we've both been in enough locker rooms a lot of times, players like talk mess.
Speaker 3: With each other just in fun.
Speaker 4: You know, do you do you give those that defensive.
Speaker 11: Line any trouble in terms of like, hey man, that was a coverage sat that was a cover sack. We we we should get half of that sack.
Speaker 6: I joke around with Will all the time.
Speaker 10: I'd just like to pick that on me because we all know Will is great, and uh, I just like to pick at him.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I get on his nerves. He gets on my nerves all the time.
Speaker 10: He'll I randomly, will be in practice and I randomly yell his name and he'll yell my name and be like, you ain't making no noise. I'm like, check the film and I catch them whenever you're sitting down in the break and I'd be like, you ain't making no noise. You'd be like, all right, check the film. So we just a little back and forth, but you know that's good.
Speaker 11: One more ad. You got it all right, So on this defense, when we talk about the best players on this defense, you can go with the whole roster, what is the what is the goal? Forget the team goal, the super Bowl and all that stuff. When you have individuals this good, you want everybody to eat and you're talking about giving them a hard time for sure? Where do you think this defense is best? Because it's so good everywhere? What do you think makes it the best?
Speaker 6: I feel like what makes our defense the best?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 11: Because you can talk about defensive line, kind of a secondary linebackers, disease, leadership, sacks, pressure, you know, forcing field goals. What do you think makes this the best?
Speaker 10: The reason that it makes us like the best or that we can be the best is that there's no drop offs. But there's no drop off from the front seven to the back can or the backcand to the front seven. Like, there's no drop off anywhere. Like I don't think that there's any week leak on our defense. And there's not one specific place that you can just really try and pick on an attack because at after a while, even if even if a couple of plays happened as football, there's we're playing against professionals, World professionals. Even after a while, players are going to start being made by So I just feel like there's no drop off anywhere.
Speaker 3: There's no week link.
Speaker 1: There's Kamari last at on in the Loop with John and Reggie. Coming up more from Jadevion Clowney. We had him in studio. You might have missed that. You're not going to miss it this time. It's coming up here on Texans All Access. It's our final segment and we've got more segments in the morning eight to ten am. We'll be on right after Sean and Seth live from the Houston Methodist Training Center. Texans Training Camp Live and In the Loop will be live on the field as well with another great guest now earlier in the week. As you know, Jeddeveon Clowney signed with the Texans drafted in twenty fourteen, left after the twenty eighteen season, right before the twenty nineteen season, got started in a trade, and now he's back. This is his eighth stop. He's played for seven teams. And here's the best of our conversation with Jeddeveon Clowney, starting with what's different about him this time? How has he grown since he left Houston. And I say left Houston. His family's been here, but he left the Texans prior to the twenty nineteen season.
Speaker 12: Just growing up as far as we're coming to May, learning more about myself and being patient, my patients have grown, and just you know, just becoming a man, like being having kids to teach you patients and teach you everything about life and it just can't rushing to stuff and how to do things slow and take your time and making decisions. And I think that's been the biggest chance for me, getting married and you know, having kids and being in the family being great for me.
Speaker 1: Seven teams and you look at each situation, it's all different, right, So every time you go somewhere you've been able to contribute, but each situation is different. What was that process like getting acclimated to each team and then being a success?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, it was.
Speaker 12: It was difficult sometimes because sometimes going after training camp and you know, try to jump into this team and a scheme in the middle of the season. But I always just say, at the end of the day, one thing you can do is play football, you know, and you a football player, you very instinctive and I knew that about myself, so every time I walked out there. So I might not know the playbook like that off the back, but I'm a very distinctive player of playing football. So I just let my instincts take it over. And I just kept succeeding throughout my career playing no matter where I went, I just kept succeeding, playing at a high level.
Speaker 4: JD. How much did you did you know Demiko Ryans before this process that you guys met before? Because I know you. I don't think you guys crossed over in the building that I can remember here. Did you have, you know, just knowledge of Demiko? What was kind of your thought about Hey, I like what the Miko's doing, I like what the defense is doing. And it's obviously your home here in Houston. How much did all that play a factor? Demiko Ryans very much a lot past seven eight years. Like I said, since he signed, I been watching from a distance like that, he got that team ready to play. Them guys follow him, They bond in and you want to be a part of an organization like that and the guy that everybody's believing like can lead. And for me watching that on TV and you I'm at home watching it on TV. I'm like, I can be a part of I know I can help that team. And when it was time and then I had the opportunity to come back that it was a no runer for me and it matter about the money and other teams that was called, I was like, oh man, I got a chance to go back to where it all started and try to finish it how I want to finish my career and my legacy and the place where it started. So that's what I was thinking about when I made my decision this offseason.
Speaker 1: How do you see yourself fitting in? Did they talk to you about that your role? Because some pretty good pass rushers here is.
Speaker 12: No question, Like I said, I told them guys, I know they got great pass rushers. I'm just a great player myself. I just told them, ain't gonna be no fall off out of them three. You won't be able to tell the difference. So just we'll see, you know, I don't want to just keep speaking on I want to I'm gonna show me. Yeah, So I'm just gonna show up every day and show them guys what I can do and contribute to help the team anyway.
Speaker 1: I can Johnny's already talking about moving you inside, sometimes inside, outside, you everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you like that too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 12: I played it all a lot here when I was. When I was, I played inside a lot, like rushing up the middle, over the guards, over the center. I feel like I can very much help any any way they can see me fit. And I still dominate the run game, still dominate, you know, geting to the quarterback, paying pressure. So you know, I just, like I said, having fun with it and continue to try to continue my career and know what other place to do it in Back in Houston where I started.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite moments, JD. We were in the locker room. I don't know if you remember this. We're in the locker room and I was interviewing somebody after the game is player of the game. And I remember you looked at me and you're like, hey, you'll be talking to me next week.
Speaker 3: You feel me? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And you, I mean you called your shot. And then it was Indianapolis twenty sixteen and you had to sack on Andrew forced to fumble, kept him out of the end zone. So we were talking about that this morning. Do you have a player or moment that you remember most from your first stint with the Texans that you got, you have you have like you know what that one? Because I said to Mark, I have a couple of moments that didn't show up on the stat sheet. We had your interception against the Raiders and playoff game, which is cool. You had to touchdown against New England. Those are great stats on the stat sheet. I have some you chasing now, Brandon fell against the Bengals.
Speaker 3: You almost caught it almost.
Speaker 4: That was pretty damn impressive. Uh. And then in the playoff game against the Patriots, up there you hit Tom Brady. I thought you broke him.
Speaker 3: Me too, I thought I got him, but I.
Speaker 4: Thought you had it. I thought I didn't think he was getting up from that. But do you have one, like a favorite memory?
Speaker 12: It was so many when it comes to ask you, I remember we was playing I want to say, the Minnesota Vikers one year. Yeah, yeah, I got some big hits on one of their running backs and I was just like it was them. Some of the best hits it went on helmet knockoffs, but yes, slide inside, boom jumped the boom on guys on the goal line trying to squeeze in and all of that just was played memories and especially against the coachs. Yeah, all them years playing against Andrew Luck and you know, making plays against the Vision was crazy for me, and you know that was how we always see it as being playing in text got to beat up on the Division. So all of them Division games, and me was so big that I always wanted to make plays and try to contribute. So that's all I kept thinking about, like what and I do to help the team and make plays. So it was so much that I could talk about on teams, Like you said, the playoff game, we try to make the run against the Raiders to pick six talking for lost and I pulled the guy's hair down.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 3: That's one of great plays for me.
Speaker 12: And you know I was like I got a boy one dread so you know leg Yeah, well, so it was so much here, so much history for me and so much part of my legacy that I had picked down in the first five years of my career making all pro was here. You know my feel like I said, I raise my family here. So it's been great for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty sixteen is notable because you were the number one defense in the league. In this past year, Texans number one defense in the league. We're talking yards per game, and that was you and Whitney just reaking have it up the front along with everybody else. DJ Yeah, yeah, DJ Reader. Are you in touch with a lot of the guys still?
Speaker 3: I do? I do.
Speaker 12: I work out with DJ Read all the time, Kareem Jackson, Jonathan Joseph, all them guys. I still stay stresh with him, you know, just hang out together. It's just been great just developing the relationships over the years and catedo on throughout my life. It's been great, even though I haven't been playing with them, you know, every all season I get up with him. I stay here a Jonathan Joe's I see his kids. DJ Rider we got two boys now. It's like, hey, we were just blessed to continue to play the game we love and you know, and our kids get to watch us now my kids, and it's just been fun for.
Speaker 4: Me from that standpoint, them getting a chance to watch you on television. How cool is that for you? Because we've talked to people, you know when they have kids, Like we saw DJ last year up in Detroit. We had long chat with him, It was good to see him. But when your kids get a chance to watch you, what's that like?
Speaker 12: Man, You just you just don't want to let them down. My son know the game and he likes so funny. I signed at Dallas late last year and my first game was Rusty against Green Bay Packags.
Speaker 3: And after game he was like, Dad, I know they wouldn't you out there.
Speaker 12: And I was like, son, I promise you if I don't do nothing, I'm gonna get better from here. You know they ain't gonna give back with them getting them better. I just got knocked to rust out. He's like my dad was. He fell down a few times. I promise you sound him getting better. But he noticed that type of stuff at ten years old. He watched the game tight now and I just be wanting to prove him that I can still go. So half of the stuff I do because of my kids. You know, I'd be consistent, more consistent now in my career and work it out is because my son work out with and I do a lot of stuff to try to lead him, to show him how you're supposed to go about it.
Speaker 1: Thirteenth year in the league, and that's incredibly difficult to accomplish no matter who you are. So how have you changed over the years in terms of the way you take care of yourself if at all? Because you came in in twenty fourteen, I mean that's a while ago. So how's that evolved for you?
Speaker 12: Man? It started crazy because, like I said, I got to hurt my first game of my career. I probably played like seven eight snaps and had that microfraction. And I came in at two seventy, you know, and I had to slim up because I couldn't. I had no more calliage on my knee for these years. But all these years, it's just been really developing a different way to attack my body as far as like getting inflammation out or you know, trying to get my knee flexion back. And over the year, I just been increasing myself for getting better and better and better. And I know I'm getting older in the age, but my body started feeling better the late in my career and it kind of helped me, you know, just getting healthier and taking care of I spent a lot of money on it. I spent a lot of money in my body, but it also worked out for being paid off for me and I still get to play thirteen years in the lead. Like I said, it's been a blessing. I'm just blessed to be here, continue to be playing, because it could have been over with a long time ago. I started, you know, I had injury, injury, injury, back to back to back to both of my girls too, my knee up here, all here, and then it started getting better. I just thank God for that because I didn't know. At one point a time in my career, I didn't know what was going to happen. I was like, I don't know, ma, I just couldn't get over the injury part of my first two years. And then I started getting better, you know, and it started coming together and then started kept making plays.
Speaker 4: Well, there are a lot of offensive linemen that would like where you have stepped away at that point, but you didn't. I remember, I think I can tell this story now. It was twenty eighteen. We went to Denver and Jjo was hurt and j J wasn't playing, and we went we went back on the field. That was the Demerit that was the Demarrius game. Yeah, that was when we had gotten to Marius and Namarus was playing back in Denver. With us and we ended up winning a game and missed the field.
Speaker 3: And all that.
Speaker 4: But I remember Jjo walked by me by halftime and he goes, you know, clown ain't supposed to be playing. And I was like, what do you mean? He goes, you had like a I don't know what's the worst? What's the worst? You got?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Grade is grade one the worst? Or grade three? Grade two? He's like, he's got a grade three growing issue. And I was like, he's playing and you were playing that game, and I just remember he's like, clowne shouldn't be out there, and I was like, and yeah, And at the NFL level, you do have to do make sacrifices. You do play when you're when you're hurt. You know, there's difference between being hurt and injured. But at what point did you kind of have that epiphany of you know what, how do I take care of my body a little bit better? When did you have When did that hit you?
Speaker 3: Probably when I left here.
Speaker 12: Okay, I was young and naives and anybody could have got been to do anything at twenty and twenty one, especially when you drafted me here.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't know no better.
Speaker 12: If I knew what I knew now, I probably would have told them, hey, just let me get healthy, fully healthy, and try to come back.
Speaker 3: Well, I would have to keep getting hurt.
Speaker 12: Sure, I just kept going out there listen to other people tell me, oh, you can do it, and I went listened to myself and I kept hit myself in the situations. So it was like young, just being young. Yeah, And as I got old, I started just take care of your body, you know, listen to your body or let nobody else tell you how it go or where you should be at in six weeks. You know, they put a timetable on me to get back healthy here. When it came to their point and I went there, I started saying in my head, I gotta go because it's past. It's six weeks, you know, that's what they told me. I should be feeling better. So I started trying to do stuff because other people are not myself at that point of time of my career, when I was younger. As I got old, I started saying, just take care of me and everything would take care of itself. So that's what I changed that when I left.
Speaker 1: It's wild to me that we have a player here who is teammates with Andre Johnson, and you're still with the Texans while you're back you're originally with the Texans. But what do you make of the building, the facilities people around here, Because it's different than when you were here.
Speaker 12: It's time saying it's so much. It's so different, it's so much better to Uh, locker rooms amazing, the weight rooms amazing, upstairs, put the upstairs and there. Yeah, it's crazy. I said, I couldn't even come up with it. How could they evolve that much and add that much in this building? But they figured it out. It's nice doing. The training room is huge now they scripted it. It looked so much bigger than when I was when I was here. The food great, Yeah, so I just ate that twice they had lamb chopped chicken. It was it was great. But uh, it's just been great man. Like I said, just I'm just happy to be back here, back playing and continue my career here.
Speaker 4: So this morning we were doing our show kind of the corner as you you know, walk on the practice field at that first corner when everybody walks by, so we expect you to say hi, that's tomorrow, yes sir, But I saw the fans, fans going by and now wearing jerseys, and you know, I saw a Nico go bye. I saw a CJ. Strad go by, and then I saw one woman that was walking by and she had a ninety Clowny jerseys on. People have not forgotten you around here, man, like they have not forgotten about you. There was an excitement yesterday when it was announced that you were coming back to the Texans, not just by by Mark and I, it was it was everybody like Clowny's coming back. There was like this big excitement. What do you have to say to the fans that still have that love for you and now it's Texans fans and get a chance to see you getting played.
Speaker 12: Hey, man, I appreciate it. I'm so excited, so blessed to have you guys. It's wonderful. And I hope I can go out head and make you guys proud again this year and give you out everything I got. You know, I'm looking forward to that hopefully lead this team to a super Bowl. That's the that's what I planned. My plan was is Yeah, I'm sure that's everybody on this team playing and I just want to be a part of that.
Speaker 1: Well, we noticed that through number shuffling today that ninety might be avail.
Speaker 4: It might be. Is that what it's gonna be?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, ninety, that is I like it my number ninety.
Speaker 4: I like it. I have it back, Jad, thanks a lot for joining us.
Speaker 3: Good luck, sir, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All Right, there's some of the best of our conversation with Jidevion Clowney wearing number ninety in your program. Back to it tomorrow morning, live from the field at the Houston Methodist Training Center. Gonna be another big day of practice. We'll set it all up for you Saturday night practice as well. Thanks so much for listening tonight. Area forty five is coming up. Go Texans.