Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: Hey. What's your name?
Speaker 1: My name's Anthony, Anthony.
Speaker 2: What's up, Anthony? How are you doing?
Speaker 1: Not too bad? How about you? Man?
Speaker 2: I'm hanging in there another day, alive on the earth.
Speaker 1: You're right on.
Speaker 2: What's going on with you? Man?
Speaker 1: Not too much. I'm recently moving to Harrisburg after a three and a half year relationship breaking up. And yeah, I've been crashing with my friends. I've been using veterans assistance. I actually just got the call today that I'm improved to move into the new apartment in the city that I wanted to move into.
Speaker 2: You're a veteran, yes, sir. I actually was about to ask you if I thought you were like seventeen.
Speaker 1: No, man, I'm thirty one.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you have a youth yeah voice.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: What are you?
Speaker 2: What are you? A veteran of the Air Force?
Speaker 1: I did the network defense for the Air Force in a place I'm not going to say where.
Speaker 2: Cool. So what kind of benefits do you get as a veteran.
Speaker 1: Of the veteran things a little complication?
Speaker 2: Taylor's Hey, man, are you are you like holding your hand over the phone or anything like that, or walking around trying.
Speaker 1: To I'm holding it right up next to my face.
Speaker 2: Here, Okay, you're good. There we go. Okay, sorry saying no.
Speaker 1: The Veterans thing, I was only in for two and a half years because I had some pretty like fucked up what's the word I'm looking for leadership, Like my very high ranked officers would come to like two thirty in the morning room inspections on me and random shit like that. So they got me out before I had all four years and not all benefits I'm available to. So because my boyfriend or my ex boyfriend only gave me such a limited amount of time forty days to leave the apartment, I had to rely on their anti homelessness assistants to go through those avenues.
Speaker 2: And so now are you moving to a place that is sponsored by the Veterans Association?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: So there's an apartment complex like owning company that the Veterans affairs and then another local assistance program. They work hand in hand with them, and they'll cover rent for me for a whole year. They'll put the utilities in my name, but also cover utilities so that I can build credit. And the goal is to show significant improvement over the course of three and sixty five days and then take over the leaf.
Speaker 5: At the end.
Speaker 2: Cool. Yeah, good, So what is it? What does it mean to show significant improvement?
Speaker 1: See, what that's going to look like is switching job careers. Right now, I'm I'm working for a company where I get to be part time chef for a retirement center and then part time maintenance for the other side of their campus. But with all of this in mind, I'm going to be training for HVAC since there's such a big need for that and that's going to be really hard to replace by AI. So I'm gonna be getting my h VAC certification, showing that I have like enough in savings, showing that I can keep up with like other bills and things like that, just like, yeah, showing I can be a responsible adult.
Speaker 2: Really okay? And how do you feel about your ability to do all those.
Speaker 1: Things the same time? You know, like.
Speaker 2: Just a little bit every Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sorry, uh no, I'm excited and nervous about it. You know, I feel like I am capable of doing it. It's just going to be a lot of work to have a full time job, settling into a new apartment, getting to know the city that I'm living in, and then also going to school to get my h VAC certification as well. So it's a lot to get on my plate all at once, but I feel good about it and I feel to take on the next year.
Speaker 2: Sick very good. Yeah, So what happened with your ex?
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically, his mom gave him an ultimatum where he could stay with me in the state that we were living in and not receive any more assistance from her because he was having a hard time holding the job and things, or he could go home work for his mom's online business, live rent free, have his debt continue to be paid, and stay with mom. And he ended up choosing to go home instead.
Speaker 2: Okay, So and then that was the end of you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I've been living in this state for like ten years, and I have a really large support network and a full time job, and all of this news was only brought to me with forty days notice, and I couldn't pack up my life to move to a different state in forty days. And I explained that to him, but it was more important that he went home.
Speaker 2: So you're moving to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Yeah, Yeah, what's going on in Harrisburg Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, South Central PA is the like mecca of the metal scene, which I'm like huge on right now. I always have been since I was in high school. It's mostly Lancaster, but Harrisburg has a lot of stuff for it, like JB Love Drafts. Best fucking place to hang out in Harrisburg for sure. It's this little like punk dive bar on Second Street. Yeah, best place did they do? Like free music every Fridays, all kinds of events, good like craft beers, good food. Yeah, awesome place. I was just at Pride on Saturday and had all kinds of fun with that. Yeah, it's just a cool city and I'm excited to like get to know it more outside of like visiting it once every couple of months to go to a bar.
Speaker 2: What So that's so random that there's a big heavy metal scene in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Did that come to be?
Speaker 1: There's just like a lot of up and coming artists coming out of like South Central Pa in general, Like I said, specifically Lancaster with like August Burns Red, I mean the other band I'm thinking of my favorite Galactic Empire. Yeah. So like there's that, and then there's Mickey's Black Box out in Lancaster too, which is like this rock campus that has two stages, hotels and like restaurants and all this stuff and studios for rent. So like any band can just like get time there, stay there, produce however much they need, get help producing it, and then go on with their lives.
Speaker 2: And are you do you play in a band.
Speaker 1: I used to play in like a like a normal cover band that we would do like birthdays and bars. But I haven't been able to get into a metal band yet.
Speaker 2: Are is that one of your plans when you go to Harrisburg, You're gonna get into a metal band?
Speaker 1: I mean, that'd be dope as hell. But like really, I'm just trying to like just be known in the scene in general, because I just love music scenes and I and I did the like local artist in Carlisle thing, and now I want to like get to know the metal scene better, just a little more, like personally.
Speaker 2: How does one get to be known in the scene.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's just gonna be like hanging out of JB's get introducing myself to different bands, figuring out where they're doing other shows, going to shows for bands that I like, Uh, I used to work merche, so I'm always talking to the merch guys about like what they're doing and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's just about like networking and getting to know people.
Speaker 2: All right, man, that's pretty cool. That's pretty cool. Yeah. Well, I'll let me ask you this, uh caller, is there anything in particular that you wanted to call in to talk about today or just kind of.
Speaker 1: Kind of just shoot the shit about like what's been going on, kind of like I did with you so far. If there's anything in specific that seems interesting to talk about them down for that too.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, in the in the in the Air Force, Yeah, did mean to you.
Speaker 1: Oh one hundred percent. Yeah, I'm actually I'm pursuing a disability claim because of it.
Speaker 2: Wait really how does that work?
Speaker 1: So basically I was I was diagnosed to a few different like mental illnesses because of the events that happened during my stay at my permanent duty station, which just means like the place where you're supposed to be for your job. And yeah, just the the environment of harassment, uh, the twisting of Air Force standards so that I was set up to fail or specifically removing avenues of health and assistance from me and me only, along with like yeah, the random room inspections, the like constant supervision. There was one point I even got moved out of my section and the only person I was allowed to report to was the supervisor of the division that I was working for. It had to create an environment of harassment and fear, and it resulted in me getting PTSD, anxiety depression and like a severe distrust of authority.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, that sounds that sounds air force E. That sounds very it sure does. Yeah, yep, okay, and now you're going to go into HVAC.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, because you know, computers are fine, but all the certifications I got are at this point like eleven twelve years old, and AI is moving so fast with computers. It's not really worth it for the effort versus reward. It's not worth it for me to just like go in and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah everything.
Speaker 2: There's a flip I feel like where it's like blue white collar work is now going to be worth less than blue collar work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So basically they look at my diagnoses and then they're like they have me do a doctor's appointments and they're like, yes, you do have depression, anxiety, et cetera. And it looks like it was from that. So here's your disability.
Speaker 2: Check well, and how much how much can we get from disability? What's what's that about?
Speaker 1: So that really depends on what I get rated for my percentage. That can be anywhere from like five hundred twice a month for thirty percent up to two for one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Now is that like based because I assume this is based off of expenses that you incur as a result of these things, or is it just like.
Speaker 1: Now, Actually it's really it's it's it's literally like an I'm sorry check and they're like, hey, this this all this stuff happened to you. That was real. We're sorry about that. You were not owed to that. Therefore, here's the money as and I'm sorry and you'll get that until you die.
Speaker 2: Cool. Yeah, that's exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one's going slower. But the assistance with the VA. They did get me the approval for the apartment like fucking today, and that was really exciting.
Speaker 2: And are you living in this apartment by yourself? You got roommates.
Speaker 1: I will be living in the apartment by myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, very cool. So h VAC, I mean this is a is a cool life. All right. So you got you got your h VAC job, which ain't getting taken by AI anytime soon. Right, you're going out to heavy metal shows. You got a little bit of a government beer money. We'll call it. Yep, great, great, Uh anecdote for depression beer not well, no, I mean not sometimes. No, it's not. It's not a good idea. It's really nice, actually, dude.
Speaker 1: One thing I'd be really excited to talk to you about is all this stuff has happened in my life has had me contemplating suffering and what I mean by why are you.
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Because your your podcast, dude, I listened to it all the time, like anytime there's a new episode on YouTube. I got that ship running while I'm at work, and you and you talk to a lot of people about a lot of really cool philosophical topics, and I kind of just wanted to like launch some of the thoughts I've had about suffering at you. If that's cool, all right, let's do it, Okay. So one of the first things I've come to is suffering is just like the self is, it just exists. It's not inherently good, it's not inherently bad. You don't inherently gain something good from some from suffering, and you don't inherently gain something bad.
Speaker 6: It just is.
Speaker 1: So what I've what I've come to think, is like I should accept suffering as the baseline of life. That just is life. To live is to suffer. But in the acceptance and knowing of that, I can then circumvent that and find other avenues of finding my joy. Peace or what I've found to be spiritually significant is just sharing love, whether it's platonic or otherwise with people. That's really where that suffering is lessened, and I find more joy and contentment in sharing love and just trying to find the ways to like, not necessarily ignore suffering, because I think it's important to acknowledge it, but you know, find ways to smile even though you're suffering.
Speaker 2: Oh God, man, yeah, I know, I know you mean, I know what you mean. I know what you mean. I don't yet want to accept that existence is suffering.
Speaker 1: Okay, So why is that?
Speaker 2: Why is that? Because that's just such you know what's man, And I'm telling you this in this moment, is that I don't know if I mean, yeah, you know you listen to the podcast and you know you hear me talk about philosophy and stuff. I don't know if philosophy has yet. I mean, I'm on a it's a continuing journey, but I don't know if it's had a great impact on my life.
Speaker 4: Philosophy I would agree.
Speaker 1: I think it's like taking your brain to the gym. You know, it's.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not it's like no, it's like taking my brain and throwing it down a flight of stairs. Taking my brain. Taking my brain to the gym is like playing chess, or or or dissecting a nucleus or some ship. Okay, you know that's training your brain. Philosophy I've started. I I honestly, I I don't know if it was this morning or yesterday. I was thinking and I was like, dude, fuck because my brain has been stuck in a lot of like this philosophy shit, and I'm just like, dude, fuck, just like fuck this. You know, like, well, because you know, like you meet, you've you've met. I'm sure in the Air Force you met a lot of And this is not a dig on the Air Force. Has nothing to do with the air Force. But just you know whatever, you meet people and when you do things. Yeah, I'm sure you met you've met people before where you're like, because this fucking guy ever fucking thought about any thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was younger, that that kind of thing used to make me Mad's.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make you mad anymore, it's still it makes me mad. Still, I'm like, and you know what, and they're always having a great time. They're always having a great time. I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was younger, that's what used to piss me off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there was having a great time. I don't think philosophy, I don't think that like being it like when you're an overthinker and you're dissecting things and you're like being like awareness and the fuck, you know what. The fucking I'm sorry, I'm want suturant right now because I'm I'm I'm I'm feeling this is I don't. I almost feel like there was. And by the way, I'm hope. I'd love to chat with someone who can really change my mind about this. I really would, I really truly would love to chat with someone who could change my mind about this. But I think we were sold or talked or or whatever that like consciousness was some kind of a virtue where the philosophy was virtue, you know. And I don't know if I believe that anymore. I had a conversation, yes I was talking to I was talking to someone yesterday and I was like, you know, I used to like, if I saw, like a seventy eight year old guy, uh in line at a grocery store, he's yet and he's yelling at the cashier. That's a guy with no consciousness. That's the guy doesn't that's a guy with no consciousness. He doesn't think about his own mortality. He's probably not thinking about other people. He's not he's not really thinking about suffering. He's not just I want to fish this thought. But yeah, I don't think he's thinking about those things. I think he's deeply enthralled in the moment with his anger. He's his his emotions and his anger are grounding him in the present, and he's kind of and he's guiding he's being guided by them. His emotions are are throwing him around and guiding him. And he sees something on the news and he gets pissed off, and someone like and every little thing is like irking him. And and I used to and I used to think that I'm gonna say something so crazy, and I and it's okay, this is courted and that I'm I'm willing to be challenging that. And I used to be like, but that what that's not That's no way to live being constantly thrown around by your emotions. And now where I look at that guy and I'm like, I think that guy is I actually think there's a lot of peace in that almost I kind of do. I kind of do. I'm like, if you never fucking think about anything, you're never thinking about other people, and you're never thinking about the world around you, and every day is the day that you're in, you're probably like doing fun like like that, Like you're probably doing fine, you know.
Speaker 1: That's what I was gonna say. That dude's like living authentically living authentically living, authentically.
Speaker 2: Present at the expense of a lot of the people that he's around.
Speaker 1: The people and that's where he has self work to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but he's never gonna do the worry he's gonna die and he's.
Speaker 1: Just gonna And there's there's sty curmudgeons like that everywhere.
Speaker 2: And whereas if you're if you're so conscious and you're thinking about like and you're always thinking about uh, mortality, and you're always thinking about you know, all that, and you think you think about like whatever, you're like, oh god, everyone in you know, you think about like third world countries, and you think about like all the suffering, and it's always there, no matter what's going on in the news. There's always and there's forever, will be, always has been. Currently is lots of lots and lots of human suffering to dwell upon. And I think if you're thinking about those things and you're conscious about them, I think it's you. You're It makes you make you depressed, and then you start to believe things, and then you start to believe things like existence is suffering.
Speaker 1: But I think that, so I don't the suffering is a beautiful thing, not a negative, Okay.
Speaker 2: And that's where I and that's when I'm challenging myself and I'll talk to you about this, is that I think there is a way to be conscientious about things larger than yourself. But but then you get to choose what perspective you want to have on that. So go ahead, why is it a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, my best friend is the one that's really helping me wrap my head around this, and the way he words it is nothing matters. And because of that, nothing matters in the light sense, you know. So if everything is suffering and nothing in life matters, because at the end of the day, where this tiny little speck that is insignificant in comparison to the universe. If all of that is going on and nothing matters, then how do you live? Your life is completely up to you. There's a lot of freedom.
Speaker 2: But that's I don't that spooks me. I have always.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be scary. Yeah, I think it's I think it's supposed to be scary. It's cosmic. You're thinking, well beyond your singular individual experience and contemplating the cosmos as a whole.
Speaker 5: It should be scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you give a meet fuck it. Did you ever meet a guy who works at a thing and he's like and he's got like a girlfriend and he's like, yeah, I saw a movie and there's like they're fine, fine, everything's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I think I think there's also like, you know, ignorance is bliss, And I don't mean that as a negative. I think. I think there are some people, whether it's mental illness or you know, soul or whatever it is that causes you to contemplate existence. Maybe it's even trauma. Like in this specific instance, it's been a lot of very difficult life events that have led me to contemplating all of this.
Speaker 2: Folks listening to this podcast, I I are you guys sick of this? Tell me if you're please.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please tell me no, no, no, this.
Speaker 2: Is no no, this has nothing to do with you. This is nothing to do with this. Do you can totally remove call er, you can remove yourself from this is me, this is me talking to Okay, Yeah, you have to know if the people listening to this podcast are sick of this because I've I've been I think this year specifically, I've been getting too philosophical. Let me know in the normally, in the comments if when people get pissed off about things, I'm like, I don't know why you guys are pissed off about that, But if let me know if this is too much, if you're like, I had to stop listening because I don't want to have an existential crisis every time I'm doing the laundry. I want to know. I'm okay, I will I would love to have that feedback, I really would. I think it's a double edged star. I think on one end, people, you know, when we get into philosophical shit and we talk to callers about it, I think a lot of people have this experience of like, oh, this is amazing because this is like, you know, uh, the conversation alludes to a thing that people probably think about but don't have any kind of like external representation of. And maybe that's cool. But then also I'm like, God, this is I just I just don't want to be a bummer all the time. You know, this is going, this is going into my b this is this curtails into my life. H I think I've started to like, I don't like every every day I'm in I'm in some new, big, crazy conversation. I don't like that anymore. I want to I'm trying to figure out how do like, how do I how do I get back to some sort of normalcy or does that even exist? Does it? Does safety or normalcy even exist? You know, do you feel you feel like a normal person?
Speaker 1: Who me?
Speaker 4: No? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh wait, yeah, I know you just said all that stuff earlier.
Speaker 1: Now now I am. I'm super proud of being a weirdo. But being a weirdo is my normal. Everybody's normal is different. Every person I've met, their normal is different than mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes I feel really confident in in that. Sometimes I'm I feel really uh, you know what it is. I I I'm very complimentary and I hang out with people and I don't mean that, and like, I don't mean compliments. I mean like like, if I'm with somebody and they're freaking out, I'm so calm and I'm like, everything's fine, you know. But if I'm with someone and they're calm, I'm the one freaking out. That's how Usually when my friends' lives are going well, mine is not. And my life is going well and I'm happy, and I check in with my friends, they're all they're usually doing terrible. I don't know why that is. Hmmm.
Speaker 1: I think there's there's a human like instinct to balance out the energies that you have with other people and relationships that you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I have certain there's certain well I've probably talked about this before, but like I have certain little pockets of things where I'm like, I'm not nihila is will not touch this, No, sir, it's not okay. Like, for example, I, Oh, I got it. This is a really important thing I need to talk about on the podcast the I Well, maybe I talked about it. Maybe I talked about one of the I R L episodes, but uh, what day is today? Friday? As I'm recording this six days six days ago, I woke up and I was I was not doing well, and I was like, I need to feel something, and so I I I went to game Stop and I bought a switch.
Speaker 1: To Oh, yeah you did talk about that. Yeah, that's yeah, and so how did how did that work for you?
Speaker 2: And I've been playing Donkey Kong Bonanza nice and this is so I don't I don't want to keep being depressing. I want to but I was like playing it and I was like, what's the point of doing all this? Like this is just stupid. And then but then once I started to get into it, I got into it and I was like, Oh, there's a fucking banana. I'm gonna get the banana. There's the queens. If I get enough of these fossils, I can make my I can change the color of my fur. I'm like and once I got into it, I was like, all right, I'm so back in life. This is great. Yeah, now I'm big into Donkey Kongbinez. No amount, no amount of nihilism will stop me from being excited. Background I thought I was six, right, Yeah, video games for me, And that's.
Speaker 1: Good because I also believe that time enjoyed can never be considered time wasted.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree with that. I anyway, m caller, Yeah, we were talking about you were Yeah, we were talking about Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talking about how I'm moving into Harrisburg soon, like honestly next week. I just got the call, the approval call. Yes, this today at noon.
Speaker 2: So what is HVAC?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Like what is it's it's HVAC. So it's like I don't know the specific of like what that acronym stands for, if I'm being completely honest, but it's it's everything to do with like air heating and cooling inside of buildings.
Speaker 2: And a robot can't do that.
Speaker 1: At least not currently. No, And I don't know if you saw, but there was a recent call for like a big swell of hiring HVAC because you need air conditioned rooms to host the servers that AI is using, and they need a lot more server rooms. So there was a recent federal thing to like make a point of hiring a lot more HVAC people.
Speaker 5: UMP and in on that.
Speaker 2: Things where you need to use your hands are good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Like I'm a chef, That's always been my go to, but it just doesn't make as much money as I would like it too.
Speaker 2: You're a chef. Yeah, did you mention that at all throughout the course of this.
Speaker 1: Call, Yeah, I did. Like my full time job is part time HIF, part time maintenance. On the campus that I work at.
Speaker 2: What do you cook? What do you make?
Speaker 1: Everything? So it's a retirement center and we do all of our shopping at like the local grocery store. So it's like literally at home cooking. And since I'm in Pa, it's a lot of like like just Pennsylvania home style cooking.
Speaker 4: Like ham and.
Speaker 1: String beans is something I make a lot. Parogi's shepherd's pie, I mean, you name it, we make it. It's usually like a soup and a sandwich for launch and then some kind of baked prepared thing for dinner.
Speaker 2: And the people in the retirement community. How old are they like seventies?
Speaker 1: So yeah, like I work for a religious ortation. I'm just going to try to keep that nonspecific. But so the retirees can be anywhere from like forty up. And then we have like people who are in between assignments and they'll be and they can be anywhere from like twenty eight to seventy two. Like they'll just like stop in for a month and then go to the next place.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I thought it was like when you said like retiree home, I thought it was like a nursing home.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's independent living, but it is a retirement home.
Speaker 2: Okay. How are the retirees doing, Like what's their vibe day to day?
Speaker 1: You know, it's like it can be so so it's it's a lot of old white men. So you know, sometimes there's really good days and sometimes they have a bad day and I'm the only person available to take it out.
Speaker 2: On what like Okay, all right, So when I was just talking about the guy yelling at the grocery store and when on the whole rantom, yeah that guys. You you are around those people a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I experienced at least once a week.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's the skinny on that you what's your first hand analysis of that person.
Speaker 1: At first, it was like really hard to not take it personally, But once I got more used to that just being a constant of working there, it was more of a I was able to realize that it's not about me. It's coming from their having a bad day. Something went wrong in their life, they lost control over something, and again, I'm the most available outlet for those complex, difficult emotions that they don't have the healthy outlet for. So I got to a place where it's like, I can't really judge you for just coming in and having a bad day, because we all have bad days. But I can still say that the way you handled it was incorrect. But at the end of the day, if me saying that twenty times over the course of three months doesn't change anything, then I just need to protect my own peace and let that move on like water off the back.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm I fully believe that whole thing of of you know, it's never just about the thing that the person is angry about. There's something under underlying. Always yeah, well but that's okay, that's actually what I was gonna ask, do you think it is always? Do you think every sometimes? Because is that because sometimes? Is a person not ever? Like, No, I genuinely am just pissed off that the ice cream machine is broken.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think I think that that happens. I don't want to speak like in blanket terms like yeah, of course, somebody's just gonna be the kind of person who gets really pissed off at the ice cream machine and that's just the only thing they're pissed about. But I think that that's a lot more rare than the like infusion of emotions towards an easier outlet. Like for me, it's video games. I love getting on and just playing like shooter games to like let out some frustration.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love killing uh fake people.
Speaker 1: I go for aliens with hell divers. But yeah, same vibe, same vibe.
Speaker 2: Mister callers, sir, this is nice. This is a nice conversation. I enjoyed to man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really glad I was able to talk to you. I've been a huge fan.
Speaker 2: Thank you, man. I'm you seem like you're doing good. I'm I'm excited for the future for you. You're gonna be going to heavy metal bands, You're gonna you're gonna find you're gonna do boyfriend or girlfriend or whatever you're.
Speaker 1: Doing or whatever. I'm I'm I'm demi sexual. It could be anything. I'm not picky.
Speaker 2: Demi What is demi sexual?
Speaker 1: It means I like the vibe. So as long as you and I vibe well, it doesn't matter what you have under your clothes. I'm just excited to be around somebody that I vibe well with. Okay, but but I need that good vibe, like view them in a like sexual context like I have with you. I'm not interested.
Speaker 2: I have heard the term demisexual before, meaning like somebody who can Basically, demisexual means I can only have sex with you if I like you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like in really simple terms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, crazy stuff. Hell yeah man, Well caller, good.
Speaker 1: Luck, Thanks man, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 1: Is it cool if I shout out my favorite local band?
Speaker 4: Oh? Sure of course, awesome.
Speaker 1: So yeah, guys. Galactic Empire is a cover band out here in PA. They do metal covers of Star Wars songs, and they're just now releasing an album called cine Metal later this month, where it's gonna be all covers from different movies.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, They're super cool.
Speaker 1: They dressed up in costume. I'm in contact with their costumer. Okay, it's all good. Galactic Empire yep, and that's on all social media's.
Speaker 2: I feel is that too broad?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: If I starch Galactic Empire on Instagram, type the word band after oh, okay, type the word band after yep. Beautiful, Take care man.
Speaker 1: Cool, thanks man you too?
Speaker 5: Bye cow from. This is Sasha?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is this a gek? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 2: Who is this?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 6: This is Sasha. Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: I Ken? What's up Sasha?
Speaker 6: I'm just hanging out right now. I've had some things on my mind lately. I was wondering if I could bounce them off.
Speaker 4: You sure?
Speaker 2: Why not? What's up? What's going on?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: I've been having some issues with my best friend of like nine years. So we're boths like twenty, we're both twenty four, and lately she's just been she's just been kind of mean, and I like have been brushing it off, but it's gotten to a point where I'm like, I don't know how much more of it.
Speaker 1: I should just you know, put up.
Speaker 2: With in what way has she been mean to you?
Speaker 1: It's just like.
Speaker 6: Little comments here and there. It started off with like in the past few months, but it started escalating, and.
Speaker 5: So like.
Speaker 6: The thing that like was kind of the like the catalyst for calling you, I guess is so we were she and I had like made plans. She asked me to come stay my apartment for the week because her family was out of town and she like wanted some company. So I was really excited to like have her. I thought it'd be like a good chance for us to kind of, you know, reconnect and everything, since we had been like having little fights here and there. And the day that she was supposed to come over, she texts me and cancels, saying that, like, you know, she she's just like really anxious or whatever, and she has to stay in her town because she lives in the suburbs. I live in a big city, and she's been like talking to this guy. She even told me, like the guy asked her to hang out and she still like said she couldn't. And then I check, like later in the day, I checked her snapchat story. I saw that like she posted a screenshot of their text and like they had made plans right around the time that she like canceled with me, and she had sud the whole day getting ready and everything.
Speaker 2: The second you're checking a Snapchat story to look at a thing, we're we're already in. We're already in too deep.
Speaker 6: I know it feels silly. I I'm like, I feel like this is just like something I should.
Speaker 5: Have been doing.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, here's the problem, and it's and it's it's it's fucking sucks and it's hard, and I I don't know if I have a good answer for it, but like, friendship should be easy, yeaheah, save the hard ship for for your committed romantic relationships. Friendships should be easy, you know. I mean, if you're having to like play detective on Snapchat, we're already in too deep. And it sucks, man, because at a certain point, I think there's a bit of relinquishment to be done.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I'm only speaking from my own from my own life, where you know, if you have friends that are that are dodging you or that are they don't they don't respond to you, or they are not nice to you. It's like.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 2: It sucks. We live in a I think a world that's like there's a bit of a scarcity of connection, and so it's hard if you do of someone that you've especially if someone you've been connected with for a long time, it's to like draw that boundary and go listen, we're fucking you know, uh uh there's we're hurtling towards uh nothingness at an alarming rate. I gotta choose carefully who I not only spend my time with, but just like invest my energy in. I mean, you're investing in the fact you called me, the fact that is on your mind. Right, This is investing.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I know I've been stewing over it for a stewing over it.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, I've been there. I know what that you're just stewing over it. You're investing energy into this fucking ship Like this shouldn't. This isn't what friendship should be. It should be friendship would be easy, and there's something to be said. I think about uh in one sense, communicating your issues and seeing how that's received. But after you do that, there's it's it's hard. I think you there's you kind of have to withdraw at with a while. That's the hard thing about these relationships is that there's so much of it is not in your control. But once but yeah, you've been stewing, right, and the stewing, and there's so much better things you could be doing with your time and your and your most importantly your fucking energy because you can just waste so much energy stewing and getting right now.
Speaker 6: I totally I totally agree, and so why I'm like, at this point, I just need to come to a decision, like with myself about whether I'm gonna like just completely let her go or like like try to forgive her. But I'm kind of leaning towards, you know, just cutting things off, because I did end up confronting her about it that day.
Speaker 2: You know, well, well, when you say forgiver, it's like you can only forget someone if they uh uh you know, ask for forgiveness, if they if they put in some kind of effort to I mean, what did what did she what? What what was her vibe?
Speaker 6: Well? She she said that she was really well. First, when I said, hey, what what are you guys like doing together? She's with the guy like literally in my in my city too, which was just the other thing that kind of upset me. But she she said like, oh, like we made plans really last minute, and I'm like, you're lying to me, Like I can see.
Speaker 3: It right there.
Speaker 6: And then after that she apologized. She's like, I'm really sorry, like I know that that.
Speaker 5: Was messed up.
Speaker 6: But so she's known this guy for two weeks also, but they've been like going on some dates, and she was telling me like, you know, he's just so important to me, like I've like been really lonely. I want a boyfriend. And I was like, like, I don't know. She was like, I don't want you to think of.
Speaker 2: Is this a like this guy whatever? Who I don't care about this guy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like is this a recur is this a recurring element of your friendship?
Speaker 1: So she has had to.
Speaker 6: Boyfriends in the past, and both times like this is years ago, you know, but I did remember like feeling blown.
Speaker 5: Off by her.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yes, yes, some people get like that when they get into relationships. They just kind of blow off everyone else.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like like there would be a drop off in like communication.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's hard, man. These are hard issues to do with. There's not a lot you can do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's just what I'm trying to because like, look, if this person really, if this person I really strive, I leave strongly in the whole, like if they wanted to, they would thing like if this person really strongly wants to be your friend, it fucking be your friend.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah No. And I think she's like it's weird, Like she's kind of made it clear that like she has almost sort of this like malice that's been like coming out towards me, but also like I know she still loves me, but it's just gotten weird and toxic. Like even after she had apologized when I confronted her, she like made a point to be like I don't regret what I did. I was like, why would you say that, Like, you know, there's no reason to do that there. So there's been all these comments and like just like the like the lies and just kind of like mean stuff or like trying to put me down lately. Then I'm just like, I don't even really think she likes me at this point, dude, which makes me really sad to say that, Like I have to respect myself enough to too, I don't know, not put up with that. I guess, but it's just as hard.
Speaker 2: It is hard. It is hard. I'm thinking about it, and when it's happened in my own life, I think there's probably something to be said about what can you pursue outside of this to put you around other people. This is one of the big I've talked about this a bunch on this show, but this is one of the big One of the great paradoxical challenges of life, I believe is that we need other people to live satisfying lives. Uh, but we also don't want to get too wrapped up in things that are outside of our control, and other people are outside of our control. It's one of the big Yeah, it's it's a difficult tension. It's one of the big difficult tensions of life. But I think that as far as the things that are in your control, there's there's a lot of ways in which I think you can kind of move through the world to put yourself around a lot of other people and to make yourself available for connections with other people. And that's kind of the elements that are in your control. And also, you know, the element of not subjecting yourself to our relationships with people who make you stew because you never want Life's too short to spend it stewing and getting pissed off and and you know all this stuff, But it's the kind of the emotional acceptance of it that's the difficult part.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think, oh, sorry, my timer went off. I think that's the thing that I've started to come around to and what initially made me so I would say, like angry in this instance, Whereas like if if I feel like I've been flighted in the past, I will do anything to like capitulate to the other person and try to just like end the conflict even if I've done nothing wrong, like I'll end up apologizing kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: I'm coming around to just like I'm almost kind of building my own sense of self for the first time. And it's a little weird. It's a good thing, but like it's making me reevaluate like all of my relationships. And yeah, I mean it's definitely possible.
Speaker 1: Like I know that I.
Speaker 6: Can like you know, build other like close connections. I do have other like great friends too, but it's just it just sucks when it's like your best friend. I feel a sense of loyalty to her almost that I would to like a family member, you know, but I don't know if she feels that family, so I don't think she does.
Speaker 2: What's your name again?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: What is it's?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: Sasha?
Speaker 2: Sasha? Uh, well, Sasha, I'm sorry you're stressing about this, but listen. Go you're twenty four. Where do you do You live in a city?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I live in Chicago.
Speaker 2: You live in Chicago. Listen, Sasha, do me a favor, Listen to me closely. Fucking go out, go leave your house, go do some stuff, go exert.
Speaker 1: Guy would.
Speaker 6: But the air quality is so bad right now, and.
Speaker 2: She who gives it, who cares the air Callie is only gonna get worse. The planet is is hurling towards non existence. It's gonna get hotter and more difficult to breathe every year. So you just get used to it. Well now while you can. This is the best the air quality is going to be forever.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, a little smoke.
Speaker 2: So so you go out and just try to make try to make some friends, Try to hurl yourself in situations where you're around other people, where you're attracting other people, and you know, make your make yourself big and such a whether you're attracting other people because you don't you just fucking you don't want to be uh running around for scraps, you know, I mean you. I think I think you're better than that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I.
Speaker 2: Don't.
Speaker 6: I don't think I deserve to putting myself in a situation.
Speaker 2: So Chicago, Yes, you're twenty twenty four in Chicago, Go kill someone. I don't know, do something. You should? Just you should. I don't know. What do you do? You like stuff?
Speaker 6: I do like stuff?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I do have some plans to go out with some friends tonight. You've got a big jestible here, so they have like a bunch of like after shows. So I have plans tonight, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep having, keep having keep having to get you away from the stewing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will do my best.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: Thank you for taking a call. I've been watching you for years. Yeah, I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sasha, have a go one.
Speaker 1: All right, you too? Bye?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 2: What's your name?
Speaker 1: Herbert?
Speaker 2: Herbert? What's up? Herbert? How's life?
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say that I'm having a garage sale and I'm moving to Toronto.
Speaker 2: You're having a go all right, what's what's for sale at this garage sale? Give us the details?
Speaker 3: Well, since I'm moving to Toronto, No, I'm getting rid of some stuff because when I come back to get my stuff, I'm I don't want to take some stuff that I don't want.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's that? What are we selling? What do we got?
Speaker 3: I was selling one of my bicycles that got sold for eighty dollars. I got a picture of a wolf. I got some bigs and some chairs and random stuff.
Speaker 2: How much did you sell? I'm sorry, are you having a garage sale? You had one?
Speaker 3: I'm having one?
Speaker 2: Okay, as like as we speak, because you said it's your bike sold for eighty bucks.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah since Monday?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, okay, so how much is the picture of the wolf?
Speaker 3: We're pretty much just going for offers, Like, I don't have any prices on anything, so whatever they give me an offer for pretty much, say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, describe the wolf to me.
Speaker 3: So it's a regular looking wolf that has the gray fur and the white kind of fur with it, and then he's just like the face the portrait of the Wolf, and it looks like it's like staring out and stuff alter realism.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm probably not gonna buy it, but I wanted to know miss what are you going? That's too much? Even in Canadian dollars, that's too much. Are you?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: What's the word? Are you going to miss anything? Are you going to miss any of these things you're selling?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, definitely not.
Speaker 2: Okay, not even a little bit. You're not going to miss the Picture of the Wolf if it sells?
Speaker 3: Uh not really. I still have stuff on my my own, my belongings that I'm keeping, but I'm packing it all away so my parents don't have to deal with it when I go to Toronto.
Speaker 2: What are you doing in Toronto?
Speaker 3: I have to go back to school.
Speaker 2: You said you have to go back to school. Why do you have to go back to the school.
Speaker 3: To get a license for something that I'm doing already? I kind of don't want to get into detail because of everything.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you have to get a license for something that you're already doing. Correct. That's fucking lame.
Speaker 5: Can you blame.
Speaker 2: Are you selling any video games?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Definitely? What are you selling Call of Duty Advanced Warfare. There's one of those ones, call of.
Speaker 2: Duty Advanced Warfare. What fucking number is that?
Speaker 3: That's my favorite one. I think that's like the fourth or fifth or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's no way it's the fourth. The fourth is called Duty four, the fifth is World at War. I fell off after Modern Warfare three after that. I have no idea.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite one because of the exoskeletons. I don't know if any of the other ones have it. Exoskeletons can jump and run really quick.
Speaker 2: Did anyone try to habble you at the garage sale?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: If Like, so, there's a couple of customers that won't give me an offer, and they pretty much asked me to say what the price is, and then if they don't like the price, they'll go lower.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, okay, how do you how do you evaluate? Like, how'd you come up with ten bucks for this wolf picture? By the way. The fact, by the way, just so you know, remember when I asked you if you're going to miss any of these things and you said no, that's the wrong answer because you immediately devalued the wolf picture because now because I'm not interested in the wolf picture that you're not going to miss you know what I mean, I want you to be. Here's what you have to do. You have to be like listen, I'm it kills me to part with this wolf picture, but I have to do it for my own survival. Then I'm like, oh shit, okay, this actually sounds like it has value. But if it's like, oh, I don't give a fuck about this, then I'm like, well, you know, this must not be a very good wolf picture. You know what I mean. You gotta really you gotta kind of ham it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Well, the way I see it is that it's not about the money. It's about just like being fair in the garage sale, because the garage sale is like I want to get rid of some stuff, and like I mean people come here to like get stuff for their own place, and I mean I don't want to jyp them or anything.
Speaker 2: Do you live in like a walk like a cul de sac of some kind, like like this is a literal garage sale, Like you're selling out of.
Speaker 3: A garage in our front yard.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you have a lot of passer buyers? A lot of foot traffic.
Speaker 3: No, Unfortunately, I live out of town about ten minutes, so it's kind of slow.
Speaker 2: How do people find out about this? Do you put up a sign?
Speaker 3: Do you have signs in marketplace?
Speaker 2: Do you put them out? Do you put it on a Facebook marketplace or any of that shit?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay. Are most of the people driving to the garage sale or do they stumble upon it?
Speaker 3: I think they have to drive too. I don't think you can really stumble upon it. I'm kind of I don't want to really say, but like out of town, so I mean like there is other houses here, but I mean, no one's really walking to the garage sale.
Speaker 2: What is one thing that is not for sale at your garage sale? But if given a certain price, you would sell it?
Speaker 3: The chair I'm sitting on. This chair is not going anywhere unless someone asks a hundred bucks for it.
Speaker 2: I'll give you one hundred bucks for it. It sounds like a great chair. See, that's what it is. The thing, right, that's what you should do. That's what it's how you got to ham it up in the garage sale. You got it's the things that aren't for sale. Like you ever seen toy story too, that's a classic garage sale movie. The value of Woody goes up because he's not for sale, just supplying demand economics.
Speaker 3: Well, I just would like to be more fair. I don't want them to be like that was a rip off at that garage sale, never coming back.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, is it not a nice chair? Oh?
Speaker 1: It is so comfy.
Speaker 2: Sounds like it's worth a hundred dollars. Sounds like it's worth more.
Speaker 3: Are you guys doing any Are you doing any like talks in Toronto? I heard that you had one in Edmonton.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do something in Edmonton, but I don't know when I will go to Toronto. I mean, I love Toronto. Toronto's awesome. Maybe in twenty twenty six, we shall see if people still want to see me. I don't know yet. I think I haven't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I haven't go ahead.
Speaker 3: I've been to a live one like I'm close to Edmonton, but like not that close.
Speaker 2: If people still want to see me, I'll go. If people still want to, If people are still down, I'll go. I might go again in twenty twenty six, we'll see. I had I had to stop this year, but six I might go. Definitely going to Edmonton. I don't again, I don't know when, but Edmonton will. I mean no, I do know when, but I don't know where. But that information will be revealed at some point. What's your name again, Herbert? Herbert? Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: I'm so happy I got on best stay ever.
Speaker 2: I'm happy we got to talk to and I wish you good luck with your garage sale. And I hope you take my advice and you ham it up and you get what that fucking chair is worth.
Speaker 3: Not for sale by Herbert, but.
Speaker 2: Two hundred dollars for the chair. Hello, Oh hey, gay, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 5: Not much, man, it's been a while.
Speaker 2: Have we talked before?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: Not really, But I don't know if you can recall that one time you were asleep and I called you and I played you a tune on my yuke Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, wow, holy fucking shit, amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like years ago. Man, All right, So back in a long time, back in two.
Speaker 2: Back, and I'll explain. Back in twenty twenty one, I was I was living and kind of starting up this stream in my mom's basement, and I remember I was there for a year and a half and I would do these things called experimental Tuesdays. And one time I did this where like I went live on Twitch, but I was asleep and I put a phone number up and I was like, call me, and I was I put a phone number up and I was like, please do not call this number. I am asleep and it was and then somebody would call the phone and I would pick it up and I would go what it was. It was a lot of fun. And then yeah, you called and you played, You played the ukulele. I actually totally remember.
Speaker 5: This, Yeah, dude, Like I remember, I haven't watched you in a really fucking long time, but I remember, like back in the day when you would open the line and then you'd have to like fill the air for like ten minutes waiting for a call to go through. Yeah, yeah, yeah, like the really early days. Man, like good fun man. Me and my old roommate used to hang around and drink beer and yeah kind of watch you get it off the ground?
Speaker 2: Cool? Well, how are you doing now, Pat? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't think that ukulele should ever made it into the podcast. So this is our This is our first official time speaking together on a recorded line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I mean like these sure going okay. I mean I've got a few complaints about life, but i mean who doesn't you know mm.
Speaker 2: Hm, and you're a Canadian.
Speaker 5: Yeah I am. Oh you probably like you've read that off like the Google thing or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read that off the Google thing or whatever. We're in Canada. Where in Canada are you?
Speaker 5: I live in Northern Alberta. Oh okay, what like we got on the Yeah, we get like the the harsh weather up here, like the really really hot weather, we get the really cold weather. We get it all.
Speaker 2: I haven't like announced this anywhere yet, but I'm doing a show in November Edmonton.
Speaker 5: Dude, you're coming to my town?
Speaker 2: Wait? You live in Edmonton?
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, do you want to have a beer?
Speaker 2: Oh? Shit? Maybe? Maybe? Yeah, I don't know how. Yeah, but yeah, I'm coming. I'm coming. I'm coming to Edmonton in uh November. I'm doing a college show there.
Speaker 5: And what college?
Speaker 2: Oh fuck, I don't remember off the top of my head. But once you enter Grant Mac or what, once there are tickets available, I will know that information off the top of my head.
Speaker 5: But yeah, Okay, yeah, then I'll buy a ticket, and I'll buy one from my old roommate, uh who used to watch with me back in the day.
Speaker 2: Cool, very good fuck yeah yeah which uh yeah, So uh well, I mean, what's going on in Edmonton? I looked it up on Google Maps, and it seems like it's kind of in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 5: Uh well, I mean kind of. I would consider it, like it's kind of one of the cultural hubs of the entire country. If you want to find all kinds of different shit, Like we've got a pretty big arts and culture scene, you go down to White Alve Like even I think right now they're putting on like a collective visual art, science music, like learning about neurochemistry while people are making live art exhibition going on here. I don't really know that much about it though, but like I'm sure you'll be able to find something that if you have the time to put into it, that you'll be able to take something out of it too.
Speaker 2: So Pat, you said your name was, Do you still play the ukulele.
Speaker 1: A little bit?
Speaker 5: Not really, like more of a kind of kicking around on the couch when my buddies are playing the guitar. I'll pull it out and play a few tunes, but not that much anymore. I've kind of like let my music fall to the.
Speaker 2: Wayside any particular reason why.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've got other hobbies, and you know, I'm in my thirties now, and your time, like, while you're getting older, you kind of just get crunched for it and you've got to figure out where are your priorities, what things do you actually want to do with your time? And then like the importance of having downtime too is becoming more and more apparent to me.
Speaker 2: What is the thing? What are the things that are crunching you for time?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I've like gotten into a more serious relationship and you've got to make time for that. Alternatively, Like, I've been working more and my work is like really stressful a lot of times. What is your work? So I work in the mental health field. I do home care for folks with disabilities, so that can range. Oh dude, well, I mean like it's a real give and take though, right, Like I work night shift, so you could have a really really laid back night where you don't really do much at all, like maybe making some people breakfast or hanging out and shooting the shit, or even just like watching Twitch half the night. But then like, in contrast to that, you have nights where you're doing like nine hours of crisis intervention and it's not always easy, but you know, as long as you don't bring it home with you, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, what is the nine hours of crisis intervention look? Like?
Speaker 5: I mean, for like legal and privacy reasons, like I couldn't go into any actual specificies for my real job, but.
Speaker 2: Well like if you could, you like, could you like make up a scenario of like what something?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like imagine like pick a pick.
Speaker 4: Any name at all, uh, Kyle?
Speaker 5: Okay? Imagine if Kyle was an Afghanistan war vet who suffered a traumatic brain injury and he's got PTSD and now he's also got physical and mental disabilities from his injuries. I could show up to Kyle's house and we're gonna, you know, Kyle's to go to bed, it's eleven o'clock at night, but instead, you know, maybe there's something going on, some kind of trigger that sets him off. And then my goal would largely be to de escalate the situation before it progresses to a point where you're in a real crisis. So falling back on like procedures that you've got in place and policies and known strategies that have been developed by a team that has degrees and stuff, and then my goal would be to implement them on the ground to try to, you know, make sure that you don't end up with injuries to people in the community, or injuries to the client that you're serving or to the staff, or police involvement. The goal is more or less to exist be ahead of that by knowing the client and knowing the procedure.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought, yeah, that was very That was very general. That was a very general assessment. I thought you were going to be like, yes, someone was doing something and I would and I did something and then I did something. Wait, that was more vague.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you your job is taken up a lot of time, relationships taken up a lot of time. Give kids.
Speaker 5: No, I mean I have I have a big ass dog who's also kind of a lot of work. But I'm a good company. What kind of dog, Okay, German shepherd, Muddy.
Speaker 2: That's a very big dog.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, a real yeah, big pooch. But and then I mean, like I've got other hobbies too. I practiced archery, and I like hiking and fishing and hunting.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, okay, wait, you're like a real guy. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the kind of a weird way to put it, but yeah, depending on how you classify a real.
Speaker 2: Guy, you're a real guy is someone you know, who does? I think a real guy is like you do stuff, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like my my hobbies aren't like, I don't know, fucking watching paint dry or anything. Right, But yeah, I mean, no.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: No, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: You're real.
Speaker 2: You're a real guy. You gotta no, you're you know what I mean. No, you're you're a real guy, all right. You have you got a job, or you help people, You're you got a girlfriend, wife, you got a dog, you do, you do hunting, you do archery, or a real guy. You're a real human being.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I do all the things you do, all the things.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm telling you. I'm not I'm not. I'm not crazy what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: No, No, I totally get where you're coming from. But like it would have been like an easy angle to kind of pick in dude, to be like, you should play the ukulele, and you played me the song of Storms, and now you don't play the ukulele? What the fuck yourself with that? Like, yeah, it's I mean, things are going generally quite well. Like I'm not I'm not so bent out of shape that I'm like, oh fuck, hang up my ukulele, I quit forever. But I mean, like in contrast to that, like nothing ever goes perfect, you know, Like I've been having a pretty challenging week this week. I found out that morning that I've got shingles.
Speaker 2: Oh no, what are shingles?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like when you got chicken pass when you were a kid and then it comes back and gets you as an adult. But I thought that I had just been hit by poison ivy when I was out in the woods last weekend. But as it turns out, I've actually got like shingles, which apparently you're not even supposed to get until you're like an old man, and I'm in my early thirties. And uh yeah, Like as a consequence of that, I've been dealing with some pretty like moderate to severe nerve pain all week, and it's kind of gotten me thinking, what's the way Well, like, have you ever thought of about how you conduct yourself in regular life when you're also dealing with physical pain?
Speaker 2: I guess not really.
Speaker 5: I mean it's kind of like, to my mind, it's kind of like being very, very tired, Like everything is harder when you're really tired if you haven't slept in a day or two, Like shit that you can do very easily, very quickly turns into like what the fuck? I don't even want to do that, you know, Okay, okay, And that's been kids of the thing that I've been trying to wrap my head around because I've been offered a few days off work. I don't really know if I want to take them, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's just kind of been the thing that I've been wrapping my head around.
Speaker 2: M Why uh, why did you quit the ukulele?
Speaker 5: I don't know, man, I'm I'm kind of very often one of those people who will perpetually pick up a new hobby and then eventually drop it to the wayside.
Speaker 2: It's good too, I think you know, people people a dog on like being a generalist, but I think it's good. I think it's good to have a lot of different stuff that you do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like the the ukulele is far from the only instrument that I quit. You know, I played banjo for a while, I played the bass for a long a long while actually, But eventually I always find myself like, where's the new thing?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, what's the what's your next new hobby?
Speaker 5: Well, right now, I've really been knuckling down on learning how to bow hunt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, you really like you like hunting, Yeah, and.
Speaker 5: So I've been doing that for a couple of years, but this is the first year that I've actually taken it more seriously, Like I've put in the work.
Speaker 2: What have we what have we been hunting?
Speaker 5: Well, I haven't been hunting anything. I've just been like scouting and preparing things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I went out and put out trail cameras that I've been moderning, monitoring and patterning the deer. And then I went out recently and hung a tree stand and uh, yeah, it's kind of putting into season work, which.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It adds a different kind of dynamic to it, okay, And it's a it's kind of like a discipline in and of it. Shelf, which I think is the thing that I like about hunting is that you're combining like twenty different disciplines that you have to learn if you want to make it actually work. And I think that's why it keeps me engaged.
Speaker 2: Well then fuck ukulele.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean there's nothing wrong with playing a little bit of ukulele too.
Speaker 2: All Right, if I when I come to Edmonton, if you come to the show, will you bring the ukulele?
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, I've got like a little backpack thing that I could put it into.
Speaker 2: Okay, So all right, come to the show, bring the ukulele, and and we can do what we did four years ago, but we can do it in real life.
Speaker 5: And you'll take a nap and I'll like hang up by your bed and play you a tune.
Speaker 2: Yeah it sounds fucking sick.
Speaker 5: Actually, yeah, uh, do you have any requests?
Speaker 2: Can you can you do a sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill Zone?
Speaker 5: Hold on, I'm gonna put that into a different cab.
Speaker 2: I bet you could do that on ukulele Green Hill.
Speaker 5: John, Okay, Yeah, Well, I mean I'll see what I can do.
Speaker 2: Probably gonna you know, all right, I have at this either either that or you can uh or you can kill me with a crossbow. What either of those two things are okay with me?
Speaker 5: I'm I'm above using a cross though.
Speaker 2: What is the what is the thing you use? Use a regular bow and arrow?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, like a vertical bow.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, you can kill me with that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well then, but I'll look into that the Hedgehog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to hunt me down. I'll get naked, I'll what is.
Speaker 5: The gecko season out here? How do I draw a tag?
Speaker 2: I'll get naked, increase myself up, and I'll run through the woods and you can chase me and you can uh try to strike me down again. Either that or greenhill Zone on the ukulele would be a perfectly good activity for us to do together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well then, I mean, like if I if I have to default back to like legend of Gelda, like are you here for it?
Speaker 2: Or if you have to if you can't play Sonic the Hedshog greenhill Zone, you're hunting me in the woods? Two options, nothing in between?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well then I mean I'll really really try my best in Green hill Zone because I don't think that I'd like to do that other option. So yeah, I'll give it the old college try beautiful.
Speaker 2: What's your name again? Yeah, I'm Pat, Pat?
Speaker 5: Pat.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 5: Yeah, people on the internet, remember to take a little bit of time to exerciage shelf care, even if it's only like thirty minutes a day.
Speaker 2: Verty cool, Pat forever? Okay, Yeah, all right, I'll see you in Canada, Pat.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah. If you see me hold up my fucking ukulele, then college.
Speaker 2: I'll know. I'll know. Don't worry if I see If I'm at this place and I see someone holding up a ukulele, I will know it's you.
Speaker 5: Okay, perfect man, somebody.
Speaker 2: Unless somebody hears this and then they also go.
Speaker 5: They're like, oh yeah, they're all coming out from Calgary. They're gonna drive over and bring their you. Okay, you'll know the real Pat when you find me.
Speaker 2: I'll know the real Pat. Don't worry. I know my pet, okay, all right, all right, take care of Pet.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Bye, Hello, folks, it's Lyle here. That's the end of this episode. But get this, I'm releasing a bonus episode this week. That's right, an entire extra hour of the podcast that you can listen to by becoming a Premium member of Therapy Gecko over at therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Supercast subscribers get access to bonus episodes, They get a completely ad free podcast feed of the regular show, they get recordings from my live shows, members only streams, and they help support my ability to continue doing this podcast. So here's a clip from this week's members only bonus episode.
Speaker 1: So I have something really weird I'm scared of that I feel like could be an interesting topic.
Speaker 2: Actually, okay, if you want to talk about it, we can talk about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a fear of chickens.
Speaker 2: How serious are you being right now?
Speaker 3: I'm dead serious.
Speaker 2: You have a fear of chickens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a fear of chickens.
Speaker 2: Where does that stem from? If you want to hear this full conversation, you can sign up to become a premium member at therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com or find the link in the episode description. That's therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. All right, I have nothing else to say.
Speaker 6: Again, goes on.
Speaker 2: The line, thank you every night ever, goes to teaching
Speaker 1: You in the line