Speaker 1: I want to thank everyone who emailed us to let us know about some alleged boy meets world of plagiarism on a little show. Yeah, so, do either of you watch Love is Blind?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, India has become obsessed with Love is Blind, which is the yes. It was one of those things like yes, we somehow turned on the TV and it was like an option. He's like, what's that and we were like, oh, it's this crazy show to and he's like, load's watch it. He has now devoured a whole season. Well, and you know what's so interesting about is that he's still like, doesn't he's not one of those kids who ever cares about romance like people kissing a movie. And he's like, but for whatever reason, Love is Blind is like his jam and he just he thinks he's fascinated. And it's kind of like, Okay, we sit and talk about like why these people like each other and what kind of risk they're taking, and and it's really I'm like, Okay, if this is how we're going to talk about romance and like talk through stuff, why not I guess sure? Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Now Love is Blind? Is that the n one?
Speaker 1: Yes? I think Nick, because there's married at first sight, right, Yeah, this is Love is Blind, Nick, And.
Speaker 3: I've seen most of the seasons.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, it's it's mostly people just sitting in rooms talking and they can't see each other, can't see each other. They spend like a month or whatever getting to know and then they just like get down on the knee and and get engaged. And it's well awkward moments.
Speaker 1: But many a core Penga fans ears perked up this season when a contestant, Dave, professed his love to a woman he has never seen before. And somehow that's not the craziest part of the episode. So the craziest part is the connection to our show. So let's play a TikTok from user lou Berger Music, who points out the issue.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting here watching Love is Blind and this moron, Dave just stole a line from Boy Meets World.
Speaker 3: Listen, man, if I.
Speaker 2: Could dream of the perfect woman, oh, she wouldn't even come close to you. That is from Boy Meets World.
Speaker 4: When asks to Panga to be I think that's what he proposes to her. It's either a proposal or when he asked to be his girlfriend.
Speaker 2: That is from Boy Meets World. You did.
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: We actually haven't. We haven't seen that line yet on the show. Have we haven't said.
Speaker 3: No, not yet I think, But oh god, that's great. Yeah. If he just ended with with and I Love you and then a Foenie call, uh, that would have been the great proposal. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So apparently he was not happy with the amount of attention that he got from his first TikTok. He didn't think people were taking this seriously enough, so he created a song and I'd like to play it for you. Have you heard about Dave on?
Speaker 2: Love Is Behind.
Speaker 4: The Mother's Blinding is a reality show for people like me who love to make themselves sad twenty to thirty something singles blind day and get engaged and act like they're the most important thing. And they all get really drunk, get experience unique love and say a bunch of natsense. Well, this season, with the Magic but Child's Wish, they brought a potato to life named Dave and his portance. Lauren had to endure his insecurities about his sister an annoying friends, and suddenly, without warning, I'm pissed because he stole a quote from boy meets world of proposed to her and nobody is mad enough about it for my liking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've all seen her dream of the perfect woman. You can't get away with this. You can't get away with this, Dave.
Speaker 4: You can't steal a line by means potato, he.
Speaker 2: Said, that's no, no, he did.
Speaker 3: But if when he meets her, he says.
Speaker 1: Dave, you're a potato. So anyway, I just I wanted you guys to know about that the update. Thank you so much to everybody who sent that into us. Uh and yeah, there there, there we are on love is Blind?
Speaker 2: All right, what do you guys think? Do you think that that's conscious plagiarism or do you think he had just absorbed that line and actually has no idea where it came from in his life and he just.
Speaker 1: Thought it was to say, I think he knows. I think if you if you absorb a full quote like that, because like if the idea of like you're the most perfect woman, you're you're more perfect than and then my imagination, could you know, like you would reword it if it were just the idea you absorbed, it wouldn't be.
Speaker 3: For word, Dave.
Speaker 1: It's also weird because later he said you had me at Hello, and so I know that guy.
Speaker 3: This guy's just ripping off off.
Speaker 1: Left and right. Welcome to Pod Meets World.
Speaker 3: I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilfordill.
Speaker 1: We're back on the road. The kids still want to jump to Her is coming to all new cities and we want to see you. Starting in June, will be in Denver, Phoenix, and Austin, Texas. Then we'll be in Columbus, Ohio, Las Vegas, that's my city, Baby Portandregon, Seattle, San Francisco, and Supplementy comedian.
Speaker 2: Wants to play.
Speaker 1: You can learn all the dates and get tickets, which could include a meet and greet package to hang with us in real life. If you go to Pod Meets World show dot com right now, we would love to see you at Pod meets World Live. Come hang out. Get your tickets at Podmeets World Show dot com. So today we are here to recap season six, episode seven, Everybody Loves Stewart. It originally aired November sixth, nineteen ninety eight. The synopsis Corey faces possible expulsion from college when a creepy teacher pushes the boundaries with Chipanga. It was directed by our very own William Rusty Russ Rusty. It was written by Matthew Nelson. And before I jump into our guest stars, what did you guys think of this episode? What did you did you remember all the details of the episode. What did you think?
Speaker 2: What a ROMP just a just a fun let's just have some fun, just.
Speaker 1: Like giggle fast mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean no, it's just the exact opposite of a ROMP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very rump.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to pronounce romp backwards more. Yeah, it's just yeah, I don't know, it's it's really uh heavy handed didac Yeah, and kind of painful to watch. So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a fan, not a fan. Okay, Well what did you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I didn't like. I know it was how to Panga just sits there quiet through the whole freaking thing, like, never speaks. It's not about her at all, even though it's happened to her. I did. Sean is a completely different human being. Uh, Sean has changed more than Eric has changed in my opinion by this episode. I did not get it. I don't know what's happening. I I just I didn't get it. I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: I definitely liked it more than either one of you did, that's for sure. I did not appreciate how much of it felt like it after school special. It definitely was like real, you know, those be good though, sure, I and I also exactly will you took the words out of my mouth? I felt like this thing that happened to Tapanga became about how is the man in her life going to feel about it? And what's he going to do about it? Like Tapega's agency was completely just taken away. It was I did not appreciate that at all. With that said, the idea that our show is a show where you have followed us from the time we were little kids until the time we are now in college, and the importance of doing an episode about what happens when all of a sudden, people in positions of power take advantage of your trust. I think the the what this what the goal of this episode was somewhere is so important.
Speaker 2: And kind of ahead of its time in the nuance of it, you know what I mean? In the in the idea that like it's not completely clear.
Speaker 1: Correct, you know, it's just the bad guy's not going to be in a trench coat with a hood but stalking you. He's gonna present himself as a friend, and you may think he's really cool, And even if you think he's really cool, that doesn't mean he's actually a good guy. And even if you have a good experience with him, it doesn't mean he's he's a good guy to everyone. Like those things are so important.
Speaker 3: That's something our show often did well because the the episode with Arianna Richards where she was getting abused by her dad. Her dad was a banker, her dad was an upstanding and somebody that everybody likes. So our show often did things like this well, Yes, and.
Speaker 1: We personally have experience with it.
Speaker 3: It's so we do.
Speaker 1: It's such a personal it's so it's so important. So for me, what I walked away from the episode with was like I empathized with the writers who have a very good idea to tell a very important message and great ambition, Yes, a great ambition, and then you do have to find how do we thread this needle? How do we get across how important this is without being too heavy handed and without trying to seem like we're making light of it. They I don't think that goal was achieved. I do think they just decided let's lean into the melodrama of it. But anyway, I did at least walk away from it going just on what we've seen so far in the college level of anything really important, going on real lesson happening, nothing, nothing's happened. So I walked away from the episode going I at least appreciate that. I see, let's share an ambitious, good message, even if it wasn't handled the best.
Speaker 3: That's what I would say. That's literally what I said. I watched it twice and I said that to Sue. I said, an important message, not great execution, which is which is what I came away. There's a lot, I mean. The one time Tapanga opens her mouth, she's told to be quiet by the Dean.
Speaker 1: Wait what exactly?
Speaker 3: She never tells her story to anybody that can help, literally never once. Corey doesn't even tell his story. It's Feeni who takes charge, who wasn't there. The parents are that Sean is not on Corey's side. It was strange character moment after strange character moment in a very important message. The one thing I did love which I think this is the start of we're going to see more of which I enjoyed just because I remember shooting them was all of us together on the couch like we were in friends, which I remember having a lot of fun doing that and enjoying that dynamic of us just sitting there in the student union having some dialogue, sipping on coffee, like we felt like adults. So that I liked that aspect of it, but a lot of it I was just like, what the wait, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sean's completely different. To that point, Trina gets the best laugh of the episode the way she says it with like such honesty.
Speaker 5: And she's truly laughing. She's like it, Yes, it's so well delivered. It's like, oh yeah, I love That's a genius.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite moment for her for sure. I also did love that even like that it is at the end when it's all of us kind of standing around, it does even though Sean and Angela are broken up, there is still that for some of us as friends, like that still that is really nice. Well, to your point, all of us being together is really nice, I will say, like, and I don't necessarily when you think back to that time, the nineties, I don't know that women felt as comfortable speaking up. I will not agree with you more. No, like if you look at the Monica.
Speaker 3: Lewinsky, Oh yeah, no, I'm sure they didn't, and they were lambastad when they did a lot of time. It is so awful. But I mean, and we'll get into it, but I mean she doesn't tell anybody in power to the point where when it's already sitting the fan, she goes to to Stuart and it's essentially says, unless you stop this right now, I'm going to go tell somebody like you haven't already said something. And I know it was in a safe space at the time, but I thought that was an odd way to put it. And I know she's like almost like blackmailing him with something else.
Speaker 1: It's so confused why he like, I loved another thing I loved. I loved that the paper they're discussing is about gray area and about well, when when is it crossing the line? When is it not? And so I was confused why he then turned it around and was like, well you came on to me as opposed to just gaslightinger and going I didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were talking about talking about you while you were described that he's actually kind of the anti Feenie and that he's like teaching you a life lesson through experience.
Speaker 1: So he's like, watch me come on to you exactly.
Speaker 2: And at the end of the episode, he could be like, and now you've learned your lesson, right, class dismissed, and it would have been like, oh the dark Phoenie. Yeah, he's kind of I had the same thought. I was like, is and and it's and that scene is interesting in the way that he's playing with like could he be teaching, could be just doing you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Fred plays a great I mean he plays a great I mean it's so it's so creepy this guy.
Speaker 1: But then later in the student union he's like, you came on to me, and I'm like, wait, wait a minute, there's a there's a better there's a better argument for this, which is I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: If we're discussing your paper.
Speaker 3: The door was open. I asked your roommate to stay, Like, what's what's the problem of anything?
Speaker 1: You wanted me to come there? You told me were you know, it was just it was a little weird anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and I want to say one of the things, like this weird feeling that I had, like taking this episode and thinking about the last episode, which is when Topanga and Sean kiss and Corey freaks out right, I was like, what is going on here?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: There? There's actually a theme building here. And they're very different episodes. Obviously, one has played for comedy and one has played for this drama, but they're both about Corey's anxiety around regulating to pangas sexuality, like regulating her this is And it's like they're it's played for comedy in one case and played for like an important life lesson the other. But in both cases the focus is on his sort of trying to get like what right does he have to own to pang another singing?
Speaker 1: What are her thoughts? What is it is it that you like this guy that I'm going to forge? Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 2: How is he going to manage that she might want somebody else? And then how is he going to manage that somebody else might want her like? And those are sort of both questions about like now that we're engaged, now that I own her or have her like how do I regulate or manage this relationship personally with this? And it's like it was right up against this, like this notion of female sexuality where it's like the property of the man that she's with, like which is like you know, legally coverture or like female chattel like this, and it's like right up against it where I'm just like, what are we saying, Like why is a Corey's responsibility to stand up for her? Why is it Corey's responsibility to take the fall when he does stand up for her? And it was like, clearly, like that's the concern. The concern is not how Tapanga feels. It's about how to the violation of Tapanga is reflected through current violates Corey's rights and Corey's rights to her sexuality or to be involved or deciding or I don't know. And it just made me so uncomfortable. I was like this, you know, like what to the point that you guys are making like why isn't she speaking up?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: And it's like right, and I get that, like in the time that might not have been possible or understandable, but taken with last week's episode, it is like there's something going on here where it's like that, it's it's all about Corey's Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, granted it is Boy meets World, so it's gonna be through Boy the Boy's POV. But I think had there been even a little bit longer of the scene between Corey and to Panga, where we at least hear Corey say, what do you want to do about this? This happened to you? What do you What do you want? How can I best support you?
Speaker 2: You can be an advocate for you?
Speaker 1: How can I how can I help you? And by the way, this is up to you if you don't want to say anything, which he can say I don't agree with or whatever, but like, let me support you there if you do, how can I be there to support you? Whatever this is about you? What do you want? Because I thought of that when then and the in the scene where he pushes Stuart, I thought, did Tapanga say I want you to confront him? Yes, go talk to him? I want yes, please do that for me. We don't know. We don't even know whether or not to Panga wants this to happen or is expecting him to say something like it. Topanga becomes unimportant.
Speaker 3: That's what. Even when the parents come in, they go, oh, my god, Corey, do you hit it? Are you okay? Like, what tell us what happened to Panga? My god is nothing. And there was that one little moment at the end where Betsy comes in and puts her shoulder on She's like, hey, I'm glad you're It's something like that. And I'll bet you, Betsy that in that conversation where she said I want to say something to Tapanga, I will guarantee you that was not in the original script.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well, it's definitely an interesting episode, all right. Guest starring Fred Savage as Stuart, the brother of our star Ben Savage. Fred was one of the decades's most recognizable young actors of the decade from the hit TV show The Wonder Years, where he played Kevin Arnold. He also starred in movies like The Princess Bride, Little Monsters, and The Wizard. He would later turn his focus to directing TV on dozens of sitcoms, including Boy Meets World, with two episodes in season seven kicking off his career behind the camera, and then Bonnie Bartlett returns as Dean Lila Bolander bye.
Speaker 2: She is really really great, great chance in this episode.
Speaker 1: See, she's awesome, really wonderful, even though I can't believe she told Tapanga to like shut up.
Speaker 3: Well, so you were about to tell what happened?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I was already to open my mouth. You know this is not right? All right? So we start in the Penbrooke classroom, standing in the back of the class to Panga confidently expresses her views and that's why I believe a person is responsible for her own destiny and can be anything she wants. Once her speech is concluded, her teacher, Stuart proudly responds, ladies and gentlemen, let's hear it for Tepanga. Lawrence, the next president of the United States. Corey speaks up above everyone's applause. That makes me the first lady. You see how secure I am in my sexuality. He turns to the boy sitting next to him and gives him a small wave.
Speaker 3: Oh whoa oho, such a Michael read.
Speaker 2: And then he kind of gives him a look like he's flirting or something, and I'm like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a strange. It was a strange.
Speaker 2: Well, it was kind of a callback to last week's because doesn't he say hello when the guy walks in.
Speaker 1: Yes, he does, but I don't like.
Speaker 2: I confront him and yeah, so I think they just liked the way he said it. Let's put it in here now and then exactly.
Speaker 3: What it was. I'll guarantee you it got a huge laugh. They loved it. And so with the I'm this boy, I'm that boy, you know, they would we would hit a joke one week and then they try to do it in another episode, and that's exactly what this was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I okay, it's like it came off of the sexuality joke. And then I was confused if that if it's somehow connected to that or I don't I don't really understand. The professor asks Stapega if she really believes in all that little merry sunshine stuff, and she doesn't hesitate. Yeah I do, he smiles back, So do I, and then he adds to a point. He quickly swivels to the other side of the class. Sean. Sean shouts back Stuart. The professor points out nice haircut, and then the hair, the hair joke, the hair comments and jokes for the next several lines, just they keep a coming. Sean thanks him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was, we've had some hair hair hair change, but also some hair changes. Yeah, big on boy meets world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Stuart fires back, it looks like an eight dollar haircut, So I guess he didn't really like your haircut.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's just showing that he's just ribbing.
Speaker 1: Because he is one of the guys.
Speaker 3: One of the guys. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He asks Sean, what philosophical belief to panga just spouted, and Sewn responds free will. Stuart's impressed, calling him a big deal with the new hair. Sewan adds she's in charge of her own actions, therefore creates her own destiny. Stuart wonders if Seawan agrees with her belief, and Shawn admits, in my experience, you don't bet against a panga or you'll get your butt kicked.
Speaker 6: Now, a studious intellectual, well, just we cannot be surprised because when Sean went to college when he was still in high school, he learned about free.
Speaker 1: Will, and.
Speaker 2: What if I had brought up like, you know.
Speaker 3: It's just but Seawan is difft this season. He's just I think was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I'm just I'm sort of non existent as a character. You know, like there's no like no recognition of the Angela situation or like what I'm doing outside of that situation. Yeah, I'm kind of just a sounding board in this episode. Yeah yeah, yeah. It's low energy, sort of like what is it's anything.
Speaker 1: This season has actually supported the hypothesis that Feene and high school was stopping Sean from living his best life, because the implication so far seems to be that Sean got to college, lived, lived lives with his best friend, is thriving in classes, is thriving socially, broke up with Angela. It hasn't even mentioned it.
Speaker 2: Just Sean is doing really well off camera. He's stuck with this friend group is like to his detriment, and.
Speaker 1: Sean needed off of Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: If you were the right god, Like this is just my body, My soul is way on the other side of the town of Ocal.
Speaker 3: You can see it because I know you. You can see that you are dead, dead inside it.
Speaker 2: There's no I can tell that I'm not and I feel it watching it. I'm sitting there. I remember this feeling of like gotta say the thing, gotta get that fake energy going through the motions, and you're going it's Yeah, it's too bad that there's not you know. Yeah, when I think about like when we started this rewatch and we hit like goofy, confident, funny Sean in like second season, and I was like, oh, whoa, I forgot that this Seawn existed. Now I just want it back so bad, and I like, wouldn't it be great if like, and I hope this comes because I don't remember, but I hope that like Corey and Sean get into some kind of.
Speaker 3: Something to be like, oh, Sean's caring about his friend again and actually involved in the storyline, like in a real yeah I missed that.
Speaker 1: Yeah to Panga nods and approval at what Sean said. The professor turns to Corey. Now, how about it, Romeo, you buy what Juliet is saying. Corey nods. I think you have to have some control over the things that happened to you.
Speaker 2: Stuart surprised Juliet, and Juliet was in the pilot. Man, It's like, I know, but it's like, my.
Speaker 3: God, to Panga, Romeo and Julia, it doesn't end.
Speaker 7: It doesn't, Juliet, I know, but there's so much, like you know, this is just to establish you know that they're married, that they're that everybody knows exactly so committed they are, like the real love thing.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what they're doing. They went out of their way to show that. You know, Stuart knew that Corey and to Pango worked together. Right. That's that's what all this is about, is you've got to just rapped us up, the scumbag.
Speaker 2: One someone else's woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Stuart surprised, and he gives Corey a hypothetical. Corey Matthews wakes up one morning, he kisses his lovely wife, he leaves his nice suburban home, and and then he gets hit by a bus. Sean blurts out, I'll miss you, buddy. Corey isn't phazed. I don't get hit by a bus because I used crosswalks. I memorize the bus schedules, and if I got a wife like Tapanga, I ain't leaving the house. Stuart isn't backing down. Bus hits you anyway. He asks the class, what's that called, and Angela answers, fate. Your life is predestined and there's nothing you can do about it. Corey's worried that bus is going to drive right through my house to get to me. Sean shouts out again, I'll miss you, buddy. Stuart reveals that most of the class's recent papers were pretty bad. He reminds them this is in high school anymore, and he encourages them to free up their minds. With that, the students start to file out. Corey b lines to Sean, this guy is awesome. I've been waiting a thousand years for a teacher like this. Sean agrees. He's not like Feenie at all. He treats us like equals. Feeni was like a parent. This guy's like a friend.
Speaker 3: Also, did it bump either of you that there's eight bajillion names to pick from? But they took Stuart, as in Stuart mankis. I know?
Speaker 1: Why would they do Stuart?
Speaker 3: Why double up on this? And but this is also a TV trope. Everybody on Mash is married to someone named Louise so or Mildred. There's only two names of any women on the entire show, so it's like you could have picked anything. Why go Stuart again, I'm just curres. I like to know why that is.
Speaker 1: I did not think of it, And it's a very valid question.
Speaker 3: I do not know. Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, was like why why Stuart?
Speaker 1: Well, then we're in the student union. Stuart is playing pool with the gang and Angela makes a shot. She tells her professor. He owes her a coffee. Stuart knows the drill and asks if anyone else would like one, and response Corey to Panga and Sean, I'll take him up on his offer. The professor jokes that he only has two hands, so he asks Topanga for a little help, and she happily agrees.
Speaker 2: The persons city you asked the people around you, Hey, you over there, get up and come with me. That's all part of the plan.
Speaker 1: And if they could have gotten away with it, this would have been.
Speaker 3: Beers of court. Yeah, that's what it's supposed to be. Did either of you have a teacher like this, either in high school or college the teacher were Now that you look back at, you're like, wow, that was actually super creepy that this guy or girl was showing up at parties or hanging out with friends or any like like, did you have any of that?
Speaker 1: I did not have any teachers showing up at parties or pretending to be our friends. But that doesn't mean I didn't have any creepy teachers. I very much had a creepy, creepy history teacher who had a reputation for putting all of the young girls in the front couple of rows and all of the other kids in the back rows. And he regularly wore pretty fitted short shorts and then would sit on the desks of the girls in his class, and it was it was like a well known thing that everyone's like, oh, you got that guy. Yeah, I'm sorry, and it was just like uncomfortable for everyone involved, Like, man, I'm stuck with this guy. So yes, those teachers, that kind of teacher existed for.
Speaker 2: Me, those bows, that's awful. I a teacher who you know, was very seemed very young and cool to all of us, but always maintained a level of like authority and was a great teacher in the classroom. But he was only twenty three, you know, in retrospect, so I think a lot of that vibe was actually just a function of his age age. But then I found out he ended up dating somebody from my grade after she graduated, and I don't know anything about it because, like you know, I wasn't around like for that. But that's when I was like, oh, maybe maybe he was crossing the lines in ways that I just had no idea. Wow, But that was only retroactively, Like at the time, he was always still very much an adult, do you know, like he's different than the other adults, like, but he was still very much a good teacher and an adult in my life. But yeah, he was like twenty three, twenty four, so there was a sense of like, oh, kind he's kind of cooler in one of us and talk to him about like right, I don't know, so there wasn't that vibe.
Speaker 3: And yeah, well there was a guy in our high school that we always thought he'd always, like every year be very close with one or two of the younger girls. So there was always rumors that it's like that, is that inappropriate?
Speaker 2: Is that weird?
Speaker 3: And then like ten or fifteen years later, he was fired for that exact thing where wow, they proved that something had happened and he was out made the papers and all that kind of stuff. Yeah, yeah, creepy.
Speaker 1: Once out of earshot, he thinks Toapega for taking his class and challenging things. He admits a teacher likes a student who participates and shakes things up. It makes class more exciting. Topeka, surprised and earnestly thanks him for the compliment. Stuart orders the five coffees and then says to Tapanga, if we don't challenge our leaders, we have no right to complain over how they lead. Topega recognizes that that is a quote from her paper. He tells her it was a good paper besides the area where she got a little lazy with the summary. But they'll go over it. He asked, well, can's the paper about?
Speaker 2: Why is it about out discussing late? Right?
Speaker 3: But is it about free will? Or then what does that have to do with leaders? Is that so it's about ethics? Is what the papers supposed to be about.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm assuming.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's ethics with people who are in positions of power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Because I was like, wait, is it about free will or is it about being It's like and that's why it made no sense when he brought the cat at the end, like, wait, what is this paper about.
Speaker 2: Whatever it needs to be about for the lines, I'm just curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he asks how campus life is going into Penga shrugs Angela and I are in Mackay so small rooms, lousy food. He sarcastically responds, welcome to college. As they leave with the coffees, Dean Bolander and mister Feenie walk by and say hello. Now at the counter, the Dean asks George what he'd like, but Feenie insists it's on him. He reminds her he's the new teacher on campus. It wouldn't be professional to accept a drink from his boss.
Speaker 3: And you see Matt in the background. Matt is just sitting. Matt's on the couch in the background, waiting for the next scene to start, and at times he's just watching the scene. You just watch.
Speaker 2: He's watching the show. He's just watching the show take place.
Speaker 3: He's like watching for a little while, and then he turns and then he's like kind of watching a little thing, like all right, yeah, MAT's just watching the show like everybody else.
Speaker 1: The Dan asks again what he would like to drink, and Phoene swiftly answers double blended, non fat, no whip frappuccino. Phoenie shrugs, I usually take care of myself. She encourages him to relax, and he takes a deep breath in response. Now more relaxed, Phoene speaks up, Do you think I could have a biscatti too? She shoots him a look, I'm not rich, Phoene other So.
Speaker 3: I want to watch this show.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I want to watch Phoenie and Bolander have a show that their age group. You you focus it towards like the same kind of Golden Girls era kind of people. And that's a television show. I would watch.
Speaker 2: Everytally watching them try and figure out youth culture and like them, but like not understand them. That's a great ideas, been so great.
Speaker 3: And then dating and what's dating that age like? And what is that a tale? And the first time they have to hook up, Oh my god, there's so much to mind there. That would have just been incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Eric is sitting with Corey and his friends looking in Stuart's direction. I don't like him. Corey says he doesn't even know him, but Eric argues, I'm telling you something. I have a gift. I know people. Then he notices a girl in the distance from behind and shouts, hello, Wow, how would you like to come home to that every day?
Speaker 3: It's such a weird joke to forget the even just the creepy part. It's just a weird joke that it's clearly her. She's five feet away.
Speaker 1: She's also seven feet tall.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I get what they're going with, but it's just a weird joke that was kind of like, why that joke?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I also am I get that they I'm a little confused about. I love that Eric has this perception and that he picks up on it, but how does it what's the benefit of it in the storyline that Eric also didn't like him or have a good feeling about him. That to Pega's not making it up. I don't know what is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's I think it's a plant the seed because so much of this episode is about arriving at a moral conclusion like right, and and an order like in order to make that conclusion like correct. So there's no doubt at the end that Stewart is an awful person who has done a bad thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It's like they wanted to also represent the possibility of ambiguity, right. They wanted it to be like people that take advantage of situations like this are often the friendly one, you know, and so you kind of can't have it both ways, especially on a kid's show. It's like you can't have it be crystal clear that this person's bad and also so you so if you you know, if you notice, by the end of the episode, everybody's like literally on one side of the room against Stuart. It's like everyone that we know, our family, like our who we identify with, has is able to see this guy for what he is, but the rest of the world might not. And it's like the whole episode is about everybody coming to that conclusion and reaching it with absolute certainty and inviting the reader or the watcher into that certainty, but then leaving the window open that like, and we have to be careful because arriving at this certainty could be difficult sometimes, and so like you have to plant that seed with somebody like Eric, who even though he's the dumb one or he never can see things, he kind of instinctually knows. And it's it's like an interesting you know, it's.
Speaker 3: I had a weird realization during this episode. Eric is a dog, meaning he's got a great heart.
Speaker 1: He's a golden retriever.
Speaker 3: They always say like if you have a dog, if a dog doesn't like somebody, you trust that and I swear to god. Eric is like he's got the long shaggy hair, and.
Speaker 2: You are a golden retriever.
Speaker 1: Retriever. You're smart, you're superfl You're loyal as hell, good.
Speaker 3: Heart, really loyal intuition.
Speaker 1: Swim yes, shut on the grass.
Speaker 2: It might hump your leg.
Speaker 8: I might have, you know, but well intentioned.
Speaker 1: But you have to tell him that it's not the right place.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, Eric, is it really is that? I wonder, like, yeah, that's so cool. I I am this weird. I'm having this really hard time with Like the way that Eric's comedy is responded to by the other characters is getting really boring to me. In this episode, it's twice that people go unbelievable, You're just, You're just and it's like that beat that sort of is I don't know, it's it's like it's.
Speaker 1: The opposite of yes and shut up.
Speaker 8: But I was thinking about a relationship to like cringe comedy or like because I think, like what now, what an Eric type character would be, you know in later comedies is like zach alifan Akis in.
Speaker 2: The hangover or somebody who like says the like crazy inappropriate thing that you're just like, what what? And in cringe comedy that's played for like discomfort and like everybody being like we don't know what to do with this like awkward energy or whatever. And in our show it's like this explosive awkwardness and out of touch and then we have to like cap it down and like immediately be like that's not right and shame it. And I'm like, stop shaming it, Like I don't care. We don't need to contextualize it. Let's just let him be crazy. And I'm hoping that we.
Speaker 3: Lose that as at least because when the dog gets too yuppy, you've got to sit there and tell.
Speaker 1: Me its crazy place.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Jack cringes, we do come home to that. It's Rachel, you unbelievable, incredible buffoon. Eric goes back to his original point. He has a feel for these things, and Stewart is no feene. He couldn't even clap Peoenie's erasers. Then Eric ye over with the Phoene call fne Yo having coffee with the Dean whoa fanny. He shrivels in his chair and Dean Bolander gives a little wave. Sean tells Eric, sooner or later, you're gonna have to cut this chord from Phoenie and see what else is out there. Eric isn't hearing it. If there's one thing I know, it's people I've lived among them. It's my fifth sense. Jack corrects him, you mean your sixth sense. Eric responds, no, that's smell. You gotta be real lucky to get that, which is.
Speaker 3: So cute, strange, And you notice you're trying not to laugh as you and I are speaking. This is right now, writer peak us can't be in the same scene.
Speaker 1: You guys cannot. I thought of it when it was happening. I was like this, There are reasons why you guys thought we can't work together, and this is one of them.
Speaker 3: And it seems like this.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: Eric reiterates this. Stanley guy Jack correcshim Stuart. Eric adjusts Stuart, he's bad news. You trust me. We see Tapega now playing pool alongside Stuart, and everything seems fine from here.
Speaker 3: Little camera move there.
Speaker 2: Notice that we all, we all become the camera.
Speaker 3: We turned towards the back and the camera follow clever, rusty, clever.
Speaker 1: Will's picking up on it.
Speaker 3: Now, I get it.
Speaker 1: Then we're into Panga and Angela's dorm. The girls are hanging out and there's a knock at the door. Okay, you want to know something that's stupid. That really bothered me. Angela is sitting on the bed and she is painting her nails, and she has her purse on her shoulder, just ready to just ready to go. Just why why she's she's painting her nails? She is not I know that. Later to Penga says, we were getting ready to go to the dorm, and I guess the argument could be, once your nails are wet, you don't want to have to put your arm through the sleeve. But the minute the shot was on her, I was like, why, where, where's where's she going? Why is her purse on her shoulder? Why she's sitting on the bed painting her nails? Drove me nuts?
Speaker 3: Got a wax.
Speaker 2: I know it's a TV show, it's a rough everything.
Speaker 1: You're right, I did take it too far with that one. There's a knock at the door. It's Stuart. They are surprised to see him. He notices one of his students in the hallway, Hansen, you owe me a paper. I don't believe in grades, but i'll flunk your butt to paying an. Angela laugh as Stuart enters to Panga. I was in the neighborhood and we talked about going over your paper.
Speaker 3: So okay, I'm in the neighbor this guy's shady.
Speaker 1: Stuart tells Angela, I don't have your paper, but we can discuss what I remember. Tapanga explains they were actually about to head to the student union. She tells Angela to go ahead without her and she'll meet her there. On her way out, Angela jokingly comments, you two leave the door open. Both of them laugh it off, which is weird. I don't know why this joke was made.
Speaker 2: I think to make it clear that the door is left open. But yes, that was never Yeah, but it's it is like we're that Angela would even make the joke, Is it right?
Speaker 1: Because then it implies that, like, you guys want to put potential.
Speaker 3: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of weird.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, is this okay? Are teachers actually allowed to date their students in college?
Speaker 2: Well, it's actually I mean, I think it varies somewhat from school to school, but like I know that, Like in my faculty handbook it's you you cannot have a relationship with a student that you are teaching or that you're in a supervisory role of any sort, And then relationships with students in general are just kind of discouraged, like because there's the potential. It's like it's spelled out, like, but the only real prohibition, like that's an actual rule is like if you're in a supervisory role or you're in there or you're teaching their class, them in class, there can be no relationship.
Speaker 1: What about if you what about if they have an end up in the future in your class?
Speaker 5: That is it.
Speaker 1: Then if you're in a relationship with somebody, then you shouldn't be that person's teacher and you shouldn't try to take that person's class. That part I actually don't know, Yeah, because that's what's interesting is like sure, this semester, he's not my teacher, but next year he could be.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's why there's the overall like discouraged, Like we can't prevents from doing it, but you need to you have the responsibility as a teacher. You have to know that we discouraged this. This is not what we you know, So I think if there was ever a complaint, it's being on the faculty, and that is to be like, okay, you know, we we cross the line here, but definitely you cross the line if if somebody, if you're in a class together, there's any sort of actual power over one another, but there is a general power dynamic that is like, just avoid this at all costs. Basical.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, good to know. It's nice to have a professor on the pod. Thak you for our questions. Thank you, professor writer. Well now alone. Stuart points to a picture on Tapanga's desk and asks if it's her mom. She says it is. The photo was taken at Martha's vineyard.
Speaker 3: He admits, no, no, sorry to Panga and Jedediah and Chloe are not going and hanging out in Martha's vineyard.
Speaker 1: This is another one where the family will. I don't know if you've noticed, but Tapanga is no longer the Topanga of nineteen.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying, Topanga's different, Sean's different, Eric's different. Corey is the only one that's basically kind of the same character now than he used to be I mean, entirely different than Chloe and Jedediah and Topanga are hanging out in Martha's Vineyard. No way making Woodstock, New York exactly same thing. Make it Wouldstock, Prescott, Arizona, make it anywhere slightly hippyish, but they make it the most highbrow like Martha's Vineyard. Really, I was amazed. I was amazed by that.
Speaker 2: Here we are in the Hamptons, right right.
Speaker 1: It's like our annual summer trip to the Hampton.
Speaker 3: Seriously, your dad was one of the monkeys, and then was his final tap and then was the other guy, and it's like, come on.
Speaker 1: He admits she's real pretty. Topanga thanks him. Then Stuart tells Tapanga to sit down. Topega gets comfy on Angela's bed and Stuart explains this paper was too good to fizzle out on the conclusion you're too smart for that. He begins to read a section aloud. It's possible to cross the line morally and yet not cross the line. Actually it's too vague. He doesn't know what she's talking about. T Pega explains, well, the paper was on morality and ethics, and I was just saying there are definite gray areas. Stuart jokes, I know what the paper was about because I assigned it. He sits next to her on the bed and encourages her to be more specific, because the devil's in the details. He asks, I'm sitting here with you, right, I'm your teacher and I find you attractive. But we're talking about the assignment. Now, have we crossed the line? To Penga stays calm, considering his newest statement, Yeah, and she shakes her head. I don't think so. No, So Stuart takes it a step further. I'm your teacher and I find you attractive, and now we're not talking about the paper. Have we crossed the line? To peg is confused?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: Stuart scoots closer to her and grabs her hand, which is resting in her lap. What if I said to you that I think about you and I'd like to see you more than just on Tuesdays and Thursdays. To Pega's in shock, Stewart asks, see where it gets gray? He gets quiet. He quickly stands up and directs his attention back to the picture on her desk. When did you go to the vineyard, she nervously says, two summers ago, and he asks beautiful, isn't it. He gives to Panga one more example. We're adults, and I'm telling you that i'd like to get to know you better. He sits back down on the bed and moves a piece of her hair behind her ear. And that's what I'm going to do.
Speaker 3: Weird, cree creepy.
Speaker 1: Tapanga admits, you're making me uncomfortable. I want you to leave. He shakes his head. That's not what you want. Oh, She's flabberg asked. What just then Corey knocks on the door and enters. He jokingly admits if I wasn't such a trusting boyfriend, this would look bad. Panga looks very worried as Corey asks, how come you don't make house calls on me? Stuart. He stands up and playfully ruffles Topanga's hair. Be cuz I'm talking to the brains of the family, He declares, I'm going to leave you two alone, and he assures Topanga they'll finish this later. Corey watches him leave with admiration. Oh hey, you gotta love that. I mean, Feeni wouldn't be caught dead in a dorm room. Sean's right about this. Guy. He's in a whole other league. Tepeg is still in shock. She tells Corey that she didn't like him being there. She didn't like it at all. Corey notices her demeanor and asks if she's okay.
Speaker 3: And from this moment on, it's no longer about Tapanga.
Speaker 1: Nope, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's why I think I was so thrown by this episode, because they've completely set it up. This is going to be a Tapanga storyline. Tapanga's going to deal with this, She's going to deal with it to help her friends. She's going to find the strength she's gonna but and then it's no longer about to Pega.
Speaker 2: From this second Corey walks in.
Speaker 3: It is now Corey's taken over the story, and it's about how he's gonna deal with what happened to Tapanga. And I thought that they should have stayed with the Tapanga storyline, which to me is much more interesting.
Speaker 1: Totally. Then we are back in the student union. Rachel's laughing. You take your middle name and you put it with the street that you live on. Jack asks, and that's your I thought we were going somewhere else.
Speaker 2: The soap opera name is your middle name and the street you grew up on, which is I think what we do in this, right, that's that's what we say.
Speaker 3: Actually, it's kind of great because then it's such a soap opera name. Mine would be Alan Redrock King Barnett, Marstine.
Speaker 1: Via del Taklot. Yes, it does work. My gosh, that's so funny.
Speaker 3: That's great, okay, And this is where we get another middle name for Eric, Yes, Randall, because we have we said Neil before. But then she's like, that's not your middle name.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know either, Yeah, they can't. This is I think that this is the second or third time we've heard a middle name of Eric. Now, so I thought it was Eric. I say at one point, my name is Eric Neil Matthews. And then yeah, Betsy says, that's your your middle name. But then maybe we don't ever say that.
Speaker 1: Right, Maybe maybe she was thinking it was Randall.
Speaker 3: Randall, Eric, Randall Matthews.
Speaker 1: She nods, mine's Kimberly Beaumont. Eric chimes in with a smolder Jonathan Cumberland jack Burst's bubble. Eric, your middle name is Randal, he tries again, Tony Randall. The odd couple Jack asks if he ever listens to the rules, so Eric corrects himself, who is Tony Randall? Jack sarcastically answers, right, you win. Eric giggles always win.
Speaker 3: Huh, I always win.
Speaker 1: Then Corey spots Stuart over by the pool tables and right up to him. The professor greets him with a smile. Hey, Romeo. Corey wonders if they can talk on the patio for a second. As Corey leads him outside, Stuart comments, your paper was pedestrian. This isn't high school anymore. You gotta take chances. Corey cuts him off, We're not talking about the paper. Stuart's surprised, so Corey flatly tells him Tapank is real uncomfortable about your dorm visit. Stuart wonders why, and Corey scoffs she thought you were hitting on her, So Stuart lets out a little laugh and asks, what if I was. Corey can't believe what he just heard.
Speaker 3: Do you hear the audience, by the way, throughout this entire episode, Yes, the second he puts his hand near you on the bed or anything stuff, the audience is going or oh, I'm ne'er there. The entire time for this yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So Corey repeats it back in shock what if I was? And then from inside the student union, Sean tells everyone his soap opera name Patrick Trailer Park, which gets a rowdy laugh. Angela offers hers se Nae Martin Luther King Boulevard. No one laughs at that one, so Angela laughs to herself, gosh, I gotta get some black friends. The best joke of the whole show, and maybe the last laugh of this direct correct, actually no will coming into the court room.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: So do I mean, do you guys remember this week like the whole sure.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember. I remember the discussion being very detailed in the original script. Corey dex in the face right in.
Speaker 3: The student union, right like.
Speaker 1: I think it was always outside.
Speaker 3: It was always I thought, Okay, I didn't know if it was off camera or we actually saw Corey like in the background punch the teacher in the face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so they Ben felt very strongly as an actor that Corey would never punch anyone, and he felt comfortable enough good for him to say something and he Yeah.
Speaker 2: The reason it kind of became a big deal is that surprisingly TV Guide was there that week.
Speaker 3: Ben, we're working together, and so TV Guide was there. This is the first time TV Guide had ever been on our set and the whole week.
Speaker 1: Were they there one day?
Speaker 2: I don't remember, probably more than one day, because I remember the the resulting article had interviews with people, you know, outside of having been there that one day. I think so, or maybe they just did follow calls. I don't know, but it was a really interesting because I remember thinking it was very unfair the way that TV Guide portrayed Ben, because the point of the article was kind of can you believe that a child actor, which is ridiculous considering he's eighteen I think at this point is pushing back against his writing staff or you know what. And and what was great about the article to me was that they interviewed Michael and Michael was like, Ben has every right to do this, like this is our process and like he Michael was like, no, it's okay, you know, we disagree, and we because they did. They disagreed, and that was the thing. We all a note session had this out like for I remember, like an hour of discussion. Yeah, and it was like who's going to give and like, because Michael was insistent that Corey would be upset enough to punch this teacher, and and and Ben was like, I know Corey, and I feel like I have a right to speak for this character. And Corey would never hit somebody, you know, in this context. And that was you know, it's a debate, and it was kind of like, how does the storyline exist without that right? Which is tricky, and so this the compromise that we ended up with is this push and then they still refer to it as a hit, correct, but it's never a punch.
Speaker 1: It's never a punch, which is to me, does make it very weird later when it's you hit a teacher and I hit a teacher and the bylaws are about hitting a teacher, and it's like, but that not much happened. And then also, I mean I haven't gotten to it yet in the recap, we're about ready to get there. But the way that Stuart leans into Cory right before too, he touches Corey, and whether Jensen and I talked about it, and Jensen is convinced he's touching him like like Corey, don't worry, like in some sort of in a calm down or like play cating sense from what I felt like it looked to me like he pushed Corey, and the fact that the last thing we see Stuart say is what if I was? And then Corey says back, what if I was? To me, that's on a tense note, the idea that it's anything other than Stuart escalating it by like hey, man, get away from me or something. I don't know. It just it felt it felt like an odd choice for there to be any contact between the two of them before it's Corey just shoving him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the big cheat is that we don't see the scene right right, We don't hear it, know what was actually said, we don't know why. And I was thinking about this relationship to the use of violence against mister mac where Alan pushes him, and it was clearly written to justify Alan. It was clearly written to say we're on his side, it's okay that he did this. And the choice here to not see the specific dialogue, to not see the ramp up to it, is really interesting because it implies I guess, on one hand, it was a choice to leave it somewhat ambiguous, so you weren't just immediately on corey side, because otherwise, why we have to watch the rest of the episode to learn. But also, I don't feel like anybody is ever not on Corey's side for the rest of the episode because we are all sort of like he had the right. He did violate the policy, but he was in the right to have right this guy Like that's sort of the double standard ish like weird sandwich that our show is doing, and by not showing the scene, the audience is sort of left to assume that the.
Speaker 1: Great justify it.
Speaker 3: That's the gray area that the paper was about, was that that the ethical gray area. Is it okay to you know? Is violence ever okay? In The answer to that, of course is sometimes yes, sometimes it's necessary.
Speaker 1: But we didn't I think writer would disagree with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would. You don't think you don't think violence is.
Speaker 1: Every I was gonna say, I think this is really interesting because I do think Will is like, if somebody were to do something to Sue, we'll be like, sorry, the only one to kill you. I'm going to kill you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and justified to do it right.
Speaker 2: And I think that when you're creating fictional universes, right, in a fictional situation, it's beholden on you to represent that situation, and then you know you're creating everything, right, You're creating the whole situation, You're putting these people in position. And that's like, was my problem with the Alan mister Mac thing, is like you could easily create a situation where mister Mac pushes him and you know, and justify it. And and so I just sort of roll my eyes at situations where violence is, you know, fictionally created in order to showcase somebody's heroism in the willing to go to violence, and I just find that to be easy to manipulate. And so in this case, it's really interesting that we don't see what actually triggers Corey to do the thing. And I don't know, like I don't I'm not sure if it was a good choice or bad choice, but it's clearly a choice, right, as opposed to the mister Max situation where you see Alan inspired to violence and we are supposed to be like, yeah, do it, man, that's a bad person and you are a good guy. And in this case we have the space this absence of what explanation, and then we spend the rest of the episode saying, well, Corey has to have been in the right because it's Corey, but we don't need to see the actual justification. It's I don't know, I'm not quite like like, I don't have all like my opinions about it. I just found it fascinating. And then there's another absence later, which is when Stewart talks to Maitland. We don't hear what he says that, Yes, these two absences that like actually trigger like the next beats or the way the characters are interact, and it's like, by not seeing them, I'm just it was clearly a choice, and I'm not sure what exactly that choice was, or why if it had to be that way or what, but it's it's something I'm thinking about. I'm really interesting, and this one seems like a big one.
Speaker 3: He does say it, well, he well, he does say during the thing what he says to him, But what what that that triggered him to put I mean, maybe not the exact trigger, Corey, Corey, he says to him. He says, not only does he say to me that yes, he was hitting on her, but he said he was never going to stop, and so he Corey actually says it.
Speaker 2: So so Stuart apparently said.
Speaker 3: To him, yeah, I was hitting on her, and I'm gonna keep on hitting on her every day until she ends up in my bed and blah blah blah. And so that's that was the at least they alluded to. That says, yeah, he told me he was never going to stop, and it's like, yeah, then he shoved them through a glass window.
Speaker 2: Right well.
Speaker 1: Rachel asks Tapanga what her middle name is, but Tapega says she doesn't want to play. She's fixated on Corey and Stewart getting animated outside. Jack wonders why she doesn't want to play, and to Panga makes an excuse, I have a weird middle name. Jack isn't buying it. Your first name's to Panga, could what could your middle name be?
Speaker 2: Jackson wanted to say it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Oh, and Maitland has apparently now met everybody. Rachel knows everybody because you never met anybody before, and now she's now she's in one.
Speaker 1: Of the this is the first time, you're right.
Speaker 3: Well, she met everybody when we shot opening title sequences exactly and now here yea.
Speaker 1: In the background, we see Stuart reach for Corey and Corey aggressively shoves him, sending Stuart right through the door and straight to the ground.
Speaker 3: Good by the way, I know, I mean that was that was a violent shove. The camera angle. You really see him fly, you see him land. I mean that was. That was a good stunt.
Speaker 1: Everyone jumps up from the crash, shocked to see what's happened. Stuart brushes himself off and says, congratulations, you just got yourself kicked out of college. No one knows what to do.
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 3: It? Different? Shop different.
Speaker 1: We're in Corey and Shawn's dorm to Panga, Sean and Angela watch a worried Corey pace. Sean asks, how could you do this to Stuart?
Speaker 3: I was like, wait, Sean, is is not on Corey's side? Just blindly and automatically, of course he would be that Sean. It's like it's it wouldn't matter what he did. It's like, hey, I shot the teacher, Like yeah, he had every right to. What do you do? I don't know, but Corey did it so, I mean the same way. He's like, I would never root against a panga. He's how could you do that to Stuart?
Speaker 1: Sean says, this it's so weird.
Speaker 2: Well, I do think now that now that you're saying this, the story Shawn's storyline. Shawn's arc in this episode is that he is like just all about Stuart, like he is completely I mean.
Speaker 1: Stuart might as well be mister Mack's.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And I guess actually, I don't know how much of that is is maybe in my performance, but or maybe it could have been written to a little bit more to imply that, like from the beginning, like like when when Stuart leaves the class, you just see Sean like following him out and Corey being like Sewn Sean, Oh okay, you know, like then it would have been like Shawn has gone astray. Yes, but yeah, I would have maybe it could have been a little bit stronger because now I'm realizing because then he the point of the courtroom scene is that Sean finds himself having to betray Jeanie and choose and feels bad about it, and he goes, oh my god, that is like so yeah, I could have been Maybe that's just on me performance wise. I should have been more like Stuart's my best pal and this is so fun and Corey you're being it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I found that weird. Yeah, it is weird, by the way, I would love if they if somebody would do this for me is the second.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Stuart comes flying through the door and lands on the ground in the student union. It just freezes on him, and then Daniel Daniel Stearns's voice comes in. It's just like I couldn't believe that Corey shoved me to the ground. That would have been so awesome just to see that. For two seconds, Cory gets defensive. I don't know, I've never hit anybody before. Sean says that his out of control moments are usually funny, but this was too far. He could get in trouble. Then Amy and Allan burst into the room. Alan is flustered, Hey, no matter what happens, we're behind you, no matter what. Corey summarizes the first time in my life, I hit somebody and it's a teacher. Alan siys, you w idiot, I thought you hit a student. Amy wonders what could have possessed him to do such a thing. Corey defends his actions. He made a move on Topanga. Alan asks in class, and Corey corrects him. No in her dorm room, and she doesn't speak up.
Speaker 2: She doesn't say anything.
Speaker 3: No Panga's just sitting there. It's like, how does Amy not go to her? How? You know, how do we not see part of that.
Speaker 1: Sound that a phone call was had to let Amy and Allen know they needed to get here. And none of what happened to Tabanka was involved in that phone call. It was just hey, and you need to get here because and no, like listen, nothing just.
Speaker 3: It's no longer to Panga is an accessory to her own story all of a sudden, which I found really really off putting. I know, you're strange. I don't. And again, they clearly changed the punch to a shove for the stunt and for what Corey does, but didn't any of that dialogue At the end, it was still hit hit.
Speaker 1: Amy and Allen look at each other, be fuddled. Then Eric runs into the room breathless. Okay, I saw the whole thing. I can testify in court that teacher hit I repeat, hit young Corey Matthews. Corey can't lie, no, I hit him. Eric proudly grins, Yeah, I know, dude, I saw the whole thing. That dude sailed. He forces a five on Corey, then turns to his parents. You guys know about my fifth sense. Right, Amy is unamused. You've told us about it, yes, Eric reveals, well, it's working overtime right now. I can feel it in my veins. This guy's bad. Then Phoene storms into the room, complaining, you can't talk to that woman. She's the dean of the universe. You can't reason with her. He mimxed her. This is a university. The university has rules. He shouts down the hall. Well, I have rules too, Missy.
Speaker 2: Angry Feenie, I know, I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 2: I don't like Anny intervening naturally, because Corey is his guy, and like Feenie would be very much about university of rules and protocol and boundaries, and like, I just feel like the Feenie response would be much more where it sort of ends up, which is, like Corey, you violated, you know, a university policy and you shouldn't have, and you will take the consequences for that. But I'm on your side for x y Z and you know whatever.
Speaker 1: Like Feenie would have been the first person to bring it back to Topanga, of course, he would have been like Corey, we will deal with your behavior later. The problem here is what happened to Tapega, and that's what needs Stewart because then that is his entire focus in the courtroom. Why are you alone with her? Why are you doing this? He wouldn't be coming in going I have to defend Corey. He'd be saying what you did was out of line, and we'll get to that. But you off to the side to Pangas this is about you. I also do not like I want to say it. It's a thing we write. It's in Boy Meets World a few times, and I know it comes back around in Girl Meets World as well.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I have rules to Missy. Calling a woman missy, it feels like you are calling her ail, like you're making her a child Phoene. In my opinion, it is a belittling way to address somebody, unless it's like I don't know, I just didn't like it. I really did not like it with Feoene to the dean, it just feels snaky.
Speaker 2: Chicks can be sensitive, So yeah, listen here, Missy. Well, that's the other thing you'd understand.
Speaker 3: He was actually talking about the dean of admissions, which is different whose name is Missy sma Right, He's literally, Okay, that's Missy.
Speaker 2: Does anybody is Missy anymore?
Speaker 1: No, it's a very old school thing, and it's very talking down to It's very listen here, Missy. It's like for Feenie to do that to the dean just feels gross. Corey speaks up, you know what, this guy knows what he did and he deserves what he got.
Speaker 2: Little miss Sunshiny in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Little do you really believe all that, little miss miss Sunshine?
Speaker 2: Miss Yeah, yeah, it's that he like feminizes ethical values in the beginning and like whatever, So that's so weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's odd, Little Mary Sunshine, Little little Mary Sunshine. Yeah, okay, Corey speaks up. You know what, this guy knows what he did and he deserves what he got. This is all going to go away. Phoene has bad news. The Dean is scheduled a hearing. There's a possibility that Corey could get kicked out of school. Corey and Topanga look petrified. We're in the student union, Eric, Jack, and Rachel enter and Eric immediately spots Stewart doing some paperwork at a table. Eric tries to turn around to leave, but Jack stops him. Eric tries to act inconspicuous, but demands his roommates come with him. Jack groans, why why are you my friend? Why can't I have better friends? Rachel asks Eric what he's doing. Eric points to Stuart, that's the guy that hit young Corey Matthews. So he's come up with a plan, an extremely complicated plan. He tells Jack to go over and flaunt himself. Jack says no, so Eric asks Rachel to do it instead. She's taken aback, so Eric encourages her tease him, trap him, do what women do. It's ingrained.
Speaker 2: This whole scene is just like why.
Speaker 3: It gets to completely and totally unnecessary. Take this out and give us more of Tapanga trying to figure out what the hell's going on? Longer scenes everywhere.
Speaker 2: Or just have a connected like if Eric is preparing his defense of Corey, yeah, and Jack and Rachel are helping him do that, it would have been You can come up with a million other things. Is this scene has nothing to do with the plot other than giving the three of you something to do and hopefully inserting laughs Like that's what which is fine? Like I get the balance, like the need for balance, but I just don't like this scene. This scene is nice.
Speaker 1: I do think that's what the idea was. That he's building his defense, which is if you go over there and throw yourself at him, he'll come on to you. That's yeah, that's okay. So that is what the point is.
Speaker 3: It's just it wasn't executed very well well.
Speaker 1: It also could be done without the insults to just two women, like here, I have a great idea. He obviously likes attractive women. Go over there, see if you can get him to come on to you instead. You're like, do what, trap him? Do the thing that you women do. It's ingrained in you. And then Eric imitates a girl giggling and rests his hand on her face. I'm a pretty good but Rachel is not interested in this plan.
Speaker 3: Give it to give give the joke to Rachel. So what you do is Eric, Eric goes, I'm going to trap him. I'm gonna go over there. I'm going to hit on him. He's gonna and and Rachel he goes, hey, why why don't you leave this one?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I think I could do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah that you know, if you give her the power in the scene, you can get the same thing, but the one.
Speaker 1: Instead of for some reason, Eric being kind of insulting and gross. Let her be like, Okay, I see what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Good idea, Hey, let me interesting where she gets rejected and is upset about it would be much funny because she's so confident. She's like, I can always.
Speaker 1: Go there's one thing I know. It's how to get a guy, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, And then backfires and she's flustered.
Speaker 1: That would have been Yes, that would have been much much funnier. So she is not going to go over there and flaunt herself. That's the other thing is that her not wanting to help makes it extra gross, but he's forcing her to do it. Let her be like, ooh, I see what you're doing here.
Speaker 2: I could need my new friends.
Speaker 3: Let me show you what I can do for you. And it's like that you don't want it? What? And then she's got a big yeah, change, Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: Eric demands you will flaunt if there was ever a problem in your family. There's nothing I would not do to help them. I would go to prison for your family because we live together, and I feel like I am a part of your family. Except when I dream about you and you're in that little pink robe and you start doing that thing. Rachel cuts him off and reluctantly agrees. Eric wants her to practice on Jack, but they're not enthused. Rachel kicks it off. Hi, Stuart, how are you doing? I hear you're a really good teacher. Eric laughs, I'm more woman than that. Rachel tells him to shut up and walks toward the professor. She sits at his table and starts off quite awkwardly, shuffling papers, adjusting herself, but lands at a smile. We see Eric and Jack watch closely. The next thing you know, Stuart is whispering something in Rachel's ear as she giggles. But Rachel turns on a dime and angrily stands up. What did you say? Am I too tall for you? Is it the fiery, wet red hair is the little boy afraid of commitment? Well, you know what, I will not allow you to reject me. I'm gonna reject you. You will not hurt me. She walks out of the student union with her head held high. Eric starts to give Jack the same spiel about helping anyone in his family, but Jack quickly stops him. I'm not flirting with a guy, okay, I don't care if they give your brother the chair. Right Then to Panga cautiously makes her way up to Stuart. He notices her, and she says, you did cross the line. You used a position of power unethically, and Corey protected me the only way he knew how, and now it's my turn to do the same for him. She demands that he leave Corey alone and make this go away, or she'll tell the dean that he came on to her. Stuart thinks it over and respond if.
Speaker 2: That's an option, becau, isn't that I mean? I Corey confronts him. He says, what if I was hitting on her? Well, then you're violating your your the school policy and let me go. Let's go talk to the school policy like we'll get you fired. Like confrontation over right, and so like the second that this, uh, like why does the Pangan need to go talk to Stuart about this now? Like she should just go to the dean. You have plenty of witnesses or you know, like hopefully you have a good enough case. I don't know, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Know, it's like like she wants him to keep his job. I'll let you keep your job here. If you just make sure Correy doesn't get in trouble for it, then you can just go about your way.
Speaker 3: Is exactly what you were talking about where, you know, especially back in the early nineties, a young girl might not just didn't have the support system or the idea that going and reporting somebody maybe was not done as much. I mean, I just don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean when she tries to tell the Dean something, the Dean shuts her up, so I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she literally never tells her story to anybody but Corey, and we don't even see that.
Speaker 1: We don't see it. Yeah. Stuart thinks it over and responds, you came on to me. To Penga's blown away hear the audience, they're like a Stuart shows no empathy as he gets up and leaves. See you at the hearing. And then we're at the hearing. Dean Bolander is surrounded by people as she takes a seat for the hearing. She reminds everyone that this is not a trial, so they should not make a courtroom drama out of this, and then right on cue the theme from People's court plays is the doors wing open to reveal Eric in a suit carrying a briefcase. He opens it to reveal a tape player. He presses stop, and the music abruptly ends, with everyone staring at Eric, including Feenie and Corey sitting together, Jonathan Cumberland for the Defense, and nearby Jack Comedy simply utters unbelievable before distancing himself from his roommate. Foene demands Eric to leave, but Eric insists to their partners Feenie and Cumberland, Cumberland and Feenie, Feenie and Feenie and Feenie and Eric, but mostly Phoene, because I love my brother and I want to help Corey earnestly. Thanks Eric. Eric tells his new partner Foenie, I know you've got a thing going with the Dean, so if it looks like we're going to lose, just play the love card, okay. Phoene tells him to shut up in the Dean's size, unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Now they clearly cut something here, because you see me, I take a breath and I'm right about to say something and they cut away to her saying unbelievable. Oh wow, I don't know that was a Disney thing that maybe maybe there was something inappropriate that I said, but that Eric says, but clearly there was a line there that they took out.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. Well, the Dean begins the hearing. First, she asks Stuart what happened? Why would they not ask Topenga what happened?
Speaker 3: Ever, by the way, in the entire.
Speaker 1: Thing, the professor explains he was at the student union when Corey asked him to step outside. He thought it was to talk about a grade, but it was to accuse him of making a move on to Penga, and then he hit him. Phoene jumps in with a question, what were you doing into Benga Lawrence's room. Stuart explains he was going over her paper, and Phoene's quick to follow up in her room that sounds odd to me. Stuart defends his teaching style. He has a relationship with his students outside of the classroom, which allows them to connect better inside the classroom. He encourages Phoene to ask any of them. Stuart looks around the room and points out Sean does he have any problem with his teaching method? Sewan answers no. In fact, Stuart remembers Sean saying he's the best teacher he's ever had. Sean admits he did say that, but he doesn't really think his opinion matters. Dean Bolander is interested in Sean's perspective and asks him to continue. Sean nervously clears his throat. You treat us like equals, like adults, when a lot of teachers treat us like kids. Stuart calls out mister Feenie for example. Sean push pushes back, mister Feenie's a really good teacher. The professor smirks, Yeah, but he treats you like a kid. Sean tells Stuart he made his point. He explains that Phoene's been their teacher in grade school then in high school, so he may feel like he needs to protect them. He turns to Feenie and apologizes, but Phoene tells him not to worry about it. Phoeney questions Stuart again.
Speaker 2: Why is this about Sean?
Speaker 1: I know, I don't know. Everybody talks about Dean Bolander is like, Sean, I need to hear more from you, please? Can you tell me more about your opinion of Stuart?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And what does that have anything to do with any guy whose friends correaks this teacher. I don't know how that's a defense or an.
Speaker 1: Complete who cares his opinion means nothing. Phoeney questions Stuart again, how did you know what dormitory Topanga is in? Stuart insists that she told him she lived in the Mackay dorms. Completely unprompted, he asks Topanga, isn't that right? Tapega begins to explain, yes, that's true, but Stuart cuts her off. Thank you. Phoene asks Stuart if he truly thought it was proper to be in a young female student's bedroom. Stuart corrects him a dorm room also serves as a living room, a TV room, or a study. It was not a bedroom when I was in there. Phoene raises his voice, Stuart, do you believe, as a college professor that it is okay to be alone in a dorm room with a young female student. Stuart shrugs. The door was open. I even asked her roommate to stay. In fact, it was Topanga who showed Angelo away. Isn't that right? To Panga? Topanga responds, she was on her way to the student union. I didn't feel if He cuts her off again, thank you, Stuart asks Pheoenie if he has any more questions than Phoenie answers just one. Is it okay if I rip your head off and roll it down the hallway? The inmates in the audience laugh, breaking the tension. Stuart tries to reason with him, George, you and I both know that it teacher is only as effective as the respect he is given, and Corey's show of disrespect undermines me and this university to Penga shouts back, and your show of disrespect undermines me. The Dean raises her voice, Miss Lawrence, but Topanga keeps her eyes on Stuart. You know what you did? Stuart insists he didn't do anything. Corey jumps in, he made a move on to Panga on my fiance. Dean Bolander doesn't tell him to shut up.
Speaker 3: Now, I was gonna say, the only person she tells to shut up is to Panga.
Speaker 1: The entire time he uses his power and authority to take advantage of her. And he told me there was nothing I could do and that he was never going to stop. So I did something. I realized that this wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do, but it was all I could come up with at the time. The Dean states, striking a member of this faculty is inexcusable, no matter what the provocation. Sean asks the Dean if he can say something, and she allows it. Sean takes a jacket. Because you're not tapanga, I'm gonna let you speak. Sean tells his best friend, it's okay with me that you hit him. Corey thanks him and turns to the Dean. It's okay with Sean, the Dean explains, but it's not okay with me. According to the by laws of this university, I am bound to expel or suspend any student for striking an educator for any reason whatsoever. Phoene begs her to reconsider, but she shoots him down. You can't protect them anymore. Phoene takes a seat without saying another word. Dean Bolander continues, Corey matthews, I hereby suspend you from this university for a period of one day. Stuart looks at her in shock. One day. The Dean adds, you are, however, under probation for the remainder of this term, and I will not take kindly to your solving any other problems with anything but words. Corey assures her she won't need to worry about that. Stuart argues, Dean, he hit a teacher. Dean Bolander raises her voice back at him. A teacher must be someone a student can trust. The second the teacher uses pressure on a student for any reason, what'soever other than academic, that trust is destroyed. Stuart thinks that there must be some sort of misunderstanding, but Dean Bolander cuts him off. She points at mister Feeney, this is a teacher. I'm not sure what you are, but you can be certain I'm going to find out. So it's clear she believes.
Speaker 3: To Panga, having heard her side at all, she just she just needed to hear de men.
Speaker 2: Talking right, So right, But I guess all she is supposed to be addressing right now is the physic whether she yeah, well correct, yeah, the charge that Stuart brought forward. But couldn't she then after this meeting go to Panga and say, if you would like to file charges against.
Speaker 1: Stewart, Yes, we can open that.
Speaker 2: Yes because obviously there seems to be enough evidence and I need to do and I believe you because she seems like she does. So if she believes her.
Speaker 1: That would be the by the way, you could do that in one line. In one line, she could say, but you can be sure, I'm going to find out to Penga, I would love to talk with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, if you will like to file a report, come to meet me up, let's go. Let's go do that right now. I am correct glad to do that, and we will have a whole other tune.
Speaker 1: Then we believe that Topanga gets a whole thing for herself. That there gets to be a side of this. It's about that's about Topanga. But first, apparently they had to get through this. You know, this shoving hitting a teacher situation. It would have for me made all of this, yeah feel better.
Speaker 3: Again with just one Corey walks into that dorm room. The entire show shifts. It's no longer about to Panga, is now about Corey. Yeah, which I found out.
Speaker 1: Stuart stares back at the Dean as she adjourns the hearing, telling everyone to go home. Everyone breathes a sigh of relief, and Amy makes her way up to Tapanga. I'm so sorry you had to go through all this, Alan, thanks Feenie for sticking by them. He asks his son how he's doing, and Corey says he's okay. Alan and Amy leave just as Sean and Angela approach. Sean tells Feeney, I don't know how I could have compared him to you. Phoene is unaffected and pats him on the back. Corey exclaims, I guess college is a lot different than high school. Huh. Phenie nods, I'm afraid so. And I'm also afraid that the dean is right. I've tried to protect you for too long in the shelters of high school. This is a major university, this is life, and these things happen, and you're not children anymore. Melancholic music plays as Corey, Sean, Tapanga, and Angela all stand together and let his words sink in. Corey repeats, We're not children anymore. Topanga wonders when did that happen? Angela explains, I don't know today. I think Sean thinks for a moment and says, guys want to go get ice cream or something. They smile and nod, and then they leave the room together and that's the end of our show.
Speaker 3: There's no tag, no, It's like the special episodes in mash that just ended with no music, just yeah the credits This is Cris Yeah Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well. Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. Our next episode recap will be season six episode eight called You're Married, You're Dead, which originally aired November thirteenthte Thank you all for listening to this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram podmeets World Show. You can send us your emails podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com, and we've got merch.
Speaker 3: Buy some merch.
Speaker 1: Missy Podmeets Worldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubasch producer, Maddie Moore engineer and boy meets World Superman Easton All. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at podmets World Show or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com