Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory spelling and iHeartRadio podcast. Okay, So the new documentary aka Charlie Sheen, which is the two parter it's on Netflix right now, just came out. I gotta say I went into it watching and aiming. My friend and producer and co host at Oomg is here with me today.
Speaker 2: I watched this documentary too, and yeah, and I watched it right away, like I you did, and the shows on my list I want to watch, and this one I was like, nope, I'm gonna watch this right away.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know it came out to you said, I'm watching it right now, and I'm like, it's out. What did you.
Speaker 2: Think about it? And there's a reason we're talking about it because you're mentioned in the book, which we'll get to, so everybody, we're gonna we're gonna dig into why toy was mentioned. But what did you think of the.
Speaker 1: Doc Okay, So it came up for us both to watch because it did come out in the press quote from him from his book, which I didn't really understand. I thought maybe it was from the documentary from an interview, right.
Speaker 2: I was sort of hoping you were going to get mentioned in the doc but the book is there's some juicy. It's short, but it's juicy. So we'll talk about that, but overall, what are your feelings on.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I wanted to see the documentary kind of being like, Okay, we all know, we all know the story here. How is this going to be anything different? You know, I know he's been sober eight years, but you know what's different about this? And I got to say I left that documentary having a new like love Charlie Sheen like say I'm back, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt the same. I felt like whoa, Okay, I'm sort of I don't want to say team Charlie, but like almost like I want this guy, I get it right, yes, and to like have a good life.
Speaker 1: It was I'm getting chills and I'm not, you know, trying to bring it back to me because you know, I don't like to do that.
Speaker 2: No, I want to hear how you feel about it.
Speaker 1: When I felt very connected to him on a certain level, especially when John Cryer kind of became the through line of this documentary. And I don't know if they intended that, but from his first interview you start, he started to see it in that he realized that Charlie didn't know his worth, he didn't know.
Speaker 2: How you really feel for John Cryer in the documentary, I do you're like for John Cryer because he's such a nice guy who really, really, I believe wants the best for Charlie, but he's totally nervous, right, like concern that he's that this it could happen again. And then you also realize a little bit just how screwed John Cryer got in the situation. Yeah, because he's so steady and at work and doing a good job and trying to support and then Charlie gets all this money which John Cryer doesn't get, and you're sort of like, oh, oh wow. But then you have so much respect that John Cras showed up to do the documentary. He really does right by everybody always he does. But Charlie, she needs to reach out to John Crier in my opinion, Oh do you think they haven't talked? Well, Charlie sort of says in the now. I don't know if they have now, but Charlie sort of says in the documentary that somebody else asked John to do it, that Charlie owed him a text, but doesn't know if he has the number kind of a vibe and you're like, Charlie, you need to reach out to John Crier almost you need to say you're sorry again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I felt like John Cryer like almost narrated this the whole documentary.
Speaker 2: And what did you think about the fact that Emilio Stevez and Stevez I don't want to say it wrong and Martin don't participate in the documentary. But yet Charlie totally acknowledges how important his dad is and how the love from his dad also saves.
Speaker 1: Him right and he I think he says at one point, this is almost like a love letter to his Yeah. Yeah, I wondered because Martin Sheen's always been so outspoken, obviously, and they show so much of that. How he totally thought publicly for him. Yeah, I wonder why the switch of just the hold of private now and not comment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know my hot take on the whole documentary though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course Denise and.
Speaker 2: Charlie should get back together. Am I nuts thinking that now?
Speaker 1: I felt it too.
Speaker 2: It really felt like those two people, it's so so messy.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Oh, and keep in mind when they met and they went on their first date, and she says, I came to his building, his condo in Westwood, like I lived there.
Speaker 2: So I thought, wait, wait, wait, wait, I did not know that part. You lived in the building where Charlie lived yet, Oh yes, which is this is different than even what's talked about in the book, which we'll get to. I lived through it all. Oh my god. All right, all right, okay, so let's go backwards to what he talks about. Let's go backwards to how you're connected. So I'm going to read to you, you know, a little paraphrase of what is in the book about you. So Charlie says, and this is in his book. At his book, I had a buddy named Kevin who lived a few floors above us with his high profile roommate Tory spelling. So, first of all, who's Kevin?
Speaker 1: So, Kevin is my best friend since we were fifteen. He's a dentist. He's been on misspelling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he's your dentist.
Speaker 1: He did nineteen yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, my gift for my fiftieth birthday and then took me a year and a half to get him. But yeah, he was my roommate and at the time Kevin now has been sober for like, I don't know, twenty five years, a gazillion years, but at the time he was not sober and friends with Charlie and they were partying together.
Speaker 2: Okay, got it? And do you know what year about this is? Is this post nine O two one zero? Is this in the nineties? So this is like you're at your.
Speaker 1: Height, this is yes, I'm going to say ninety six ish. Does that line up? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That feels about right. So then Charlie continues, I pointed at a ceiling and didn't make it past the K and his name, so that's Kevin obviously. When Zip shook his head, So who's Zip his bodyguard? Okay, and it says Zip, Zip telling me he'd already asked them. Zip explained that Tory felt bad for me but viewed my situation as radioactive and didn't want to go anywhere near it. So basically, they've asked to you, guys, if Charlie can move in with you.
Speaker 1: So I'm not gonna get the memory exactly right, but keep in mind, at this point in the program, I recall and I've talked about this in my book that Charlie was always having parties.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Where was this building is? Was this one of these fancy high rises in Westwood.
Speaker 1: Called the Wilshire?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Westwood. Yes, it's like fancy Dorman type of vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be Tina on the outside Dorman yeah yeah yeah yeah. And I feel like Kendall Jenner lived there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's like so random in LA because you always think of people with these like sprawling mansions, but a lot of people love these like very very very expensive condos, high rise buildings on Wilshire.
Speaker 1: Okay, then I moved in. It was like me, Charlie, Sheen, Rodney, Dangerfield, fair Enough, Opposit, all living in the same building. Good night, Oh my gosh. Yeah, whoa, it was a little wild. Okay, so let me set the stage. I remember I went to a Playboy mansion party because that's when all the Playboy mansions like Summer, Midsummer Night's Dream all that. It was very in to go. Kevin, my roommate, and I went with some friends. We came back and it was like relatively early, it was like midnight. I was upstairs because Charlie lived below, so.
Speaker 2: I right below.
Speaker 1: Or like a few below, so there were the way it was separated. There's two sets of elevators in the building, with two elevators that went to the north side or the south side on each side.
Speaker 2: And are these like fancy elevators that open up into your place. It's not like some long hallway of apartments.
Speaker 1: Oh no, there comes to your floor.
Speaker 2: If you're like, this is not my apartments, elevators zeros, okay? Got It opens up.
Speaker 1: Into your what we would call vestibule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, which also gives me a claustrophobic panic attack if they could go into the vestibule and the elevator doors closed and you can't get into the door, I mean.
Speaker 1: And the doors open. But okay, so the phone rings, the phone rings, and it's one of the dormen cause you can connect. They can call you saying Kevin's trying to reach you from Charlie's Can I patch you through?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh?
Speaker 1: And I like yeah, sure, so and then Kevin's like, oh my god, You've got to get down here. You got to come to this party. I was like no, no, no, no, no, no, no, we're done, and like we're going to bed. I was with my friend Eileen. We're not coming, okay, my hair stylas on nine on two and oh, we're not coming, and he's like, please please please, like you would aways do like T T please go.
Speaker 2: Did you think Charlie was hot at that time? Like Charlie, Charlie sort of in his prime. He's still very hot in the nineties, right, like meaning handsome hot, sexy hot, but also like pretty movie star ish hot, or had he sort of had a downturn. We didn't have to look at the timeline, but anyway, like.
Speaker 1: Were you like I don't know, but there there was during his the living the living situation that we lived both at the Wilshire. There was a time that Kevin was friends with him when they were both sober trying to be sober, and Kevin said, Charlie wants to ask you on a date, okay, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, that's like the cool, like you kind of want to go, but then you're also like nervous.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go alone. So he's like, well, I'm going out to dinner with my parents, and Charlie and I both do his parents. So it was Kevin's parents, stop it, stop it, stop it. Kevin and Charlie and we went out to dinner. Stop it.
Speaker 2: You went on a day with Charlie Sheen with your friend Kevin and his parents.
Speaker 1: Correct, Can you remember where you went? I'm trying to think. It was in Beverly Hills. It was like an Italian restaurant. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Were you trying to like flirt with Charlie or were you like what was happening?
Speaker 1: No, we were just like gay to know each other. And it wasn't a quote unquote date, but it was like they were sort of they were trying to set us up.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: And what I learned that night was how unimaginably intelligent he is.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you can totally tell me.
Speaker 1: And his humor was just so I was like this talk about charming, smart, funny, witty, like this guy was it, you know?
Speaker 2: So yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I remember I was nervous and they were. I was with a two addicts and I was like, I want to have wine, So I'm nervous, but they were both having tokes and I was like to fit in anyway, So how does.
Speaker 2: This turn into him wanting to live with you guys? And still there's a little more from the passage I want to read, but first I'm being on the back history.
Speaker 1: That was like the good moments, and then the bad moment is when I get the call come downstairs. Charlie's having this party. You have to come here please. So my friend and I go and I'm like, one second, We'll come by for one second. So we get off our elevator, walk across the lobby, get into the other elevator, go up to Charlie's apartment. The door's open. We walk into the vestibule, the door is shut. I knock on the door and the door opens, and Charlie is standing there and he's setting an apparatus. And he says, wait, he's what an apparatus? Holding some apparatus that I don't Oh no, and he said hot crack pipe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh no business.
Speaker 1: I was like, a buddy, You're like no, yeah.
Speaker 2: Is this in the Heidi Flices era for him?
Speaker 1: Like what era? What Charlie Sheen era?
Speaker 2: Is this? I can't do the timeline it was.
Speaker 1: It was gnarly in this condo. The lights were all off, you know, so you're at his condo. We have a similar layout. I would assume I knew nothing yours.
Speaker 2: Was like shabby chic and his was not shabby chic.
Speaker 1: It was dark and there was just like I don't there was bodies everywhere. There were were you like scared? Yes, yeah, he said, and I said no thanks, And he's like, well, what would you like? We have every drug? And I was like, oh my god. And he's like, okay, no problem. He's like, would you And.
Speaker 2: We can say this because he acknowledges this in the documentary and in the book. It's not like we're like telling something.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no. And he then took me to the kitchen and he asked if I wanted to drink. Well. I was terrified because I was like, are there.
Speaker 2: Even then You're like, uh no, I go upstairs?
Speaker 1: No, and so yeah, I And then I think he lost interest in went off.
Speaker 2: And did the building. I feel like in those fancy buildings, like wouldn't people complain like isn't you know farah faucet like it's real loud in number six oh two or something.
Speaker 1: I never heard any complaints.
Speaker 2: But yet, Yeah, they're just voted.
Speaker 1: In fondo and not a goo for days. Oh no, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Are Kevin and Charlie still friends?
Speaker 1: They are still friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow. You know who seemed really lovely in that documentary is Charlie's like bestie, the guy that's been the bestie since like Tony childhood, who has his life like totally together but just was still very loyal and like, you gotta like respect Sean Penn for doing the documentary and like of course Denise and Brooke, like bless them all. It's it's messy, but it's also like you want this guy, I mean, especially like you want this guy to get it together. And the kids, I mean, I actually thought, even though they're a little crass, the sticky notes that he leaves for the sun for Bob are hilarious, hilarious, a little grass but yet and then hearing how the daughter and that's not Sammy, right, that's the other daughter.
Speaker 1: So Denise and Charlie have two daughters together. Sammy's the older onely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the other one talks about how they go to pedicures.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it was really cute and the name something.
Speaker 2: It was cute, like you see, and I think like some of the kids live with Charlie anyway, I mean, and you have look when Denise, nothing made you kind of really realize how what a good person Denise is. Then when she took in the other kids, it was like that was she can sort of do no wrong in my eyes, because that was so.
Speaker 1: I remember that time.
Speaker 2: That was so wow. All right, so so tell me so then you just say, no, wh why does Charlie need to live with you? That's what I don't understand, is you like down on his luck.
Speaker 1: So this is when the US Marshals had warrant.
Speaker 2: I guess for his arrest because of Heidi flies.
Speaker 1: No. This is later. This is when his dad was like going public on TV and saying, please if anyone sees, my gosh and find him. He had escaped, right, Oh my god, I don't want to tell tales out of school. I'm not.
Speaker 2: Just do your best, do your best, read the book and watch the documentary. People will be happy. This is around the time where he was arrested in nineteen ninety six for what Yes, ninety six, this is it for this seems not good for I'm just going to read this. It doesn't seem good. He was arrested in nineteen ninety six for attacking a girlfriend at his California home. He was placed on probation after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor battery charge. He was then arrested again in two thousand and nine, so that's much later. So maybe this was that thing. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought it was drug related and he left like the rehab they put him in. But I don't know if you get a rested for that. All I know is that I was standing in my laundry room because okay, I'm stand in my laundry room and Kevin comes in and says, Tea, I need to ask you a favor. And I'm like, yeah, of course anything. And he's like, can we hide charge?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I mean absolutely, yeah, this is the question. And I had seen that. I knew what was happening in the news and this was bad news. That sounds like a crime, and ampless. Yeah, I am hiding him. They're actively searching for him, like helicopters. What if I were to hide him first of all? Yeah, no, So I said, are you kidding me? I was like, no, I'm not doing that. He's like, Tea, you're a stand like they're going to arrest him, You're gonna take him away. And I was like, I'm sorry. I think he's a really great guy. I like him. I couldn't know, and he's like, well, no one will know because the way he wanted to sneak him in is that every laundry room in these four condos on every floor is connected to a back hallway that leads to a service elevator. Oh okay, he wanted to sneak up the service elevator through the back hallway into my laundry room. So my voice was to hide him in like a laundry bin. It was like so.
Speaker 2: Hard, No, it was, Yeah, I think you would be committing a crime if you did that. I mean, I don't know if we have all the details right on all the things, like the helicopters seem a bit like maybe.
Speaker 1: The helicopters and I just remember the helicopter knew they arrested him in the building and took him away. Yeah, and Kevin at the time was like, great tea, they took Charlie away and like he needs help like that. This is like I understand, Like you guys aren't thinking straight right now. This is like crazy.
Speaker 2: So the little bit of the funnier part and quotes that is also in this passage, after he says zip explained that Tory felt bad for me but viewed my sitchuation is radioactive and didn't want to go anywhere near it. Good job, Tory, But then he writes, couldn't blame her, I suppose, But bleep man, who knows what story I'd be banging out right now if the heir to Daddy's throne that said. Yes, First of all, I bet the book is funny. We're gonna need to read the book because Charlie writes funny, right, So first of all, can you imagine Aaron Spelling? First of all, can you imagine if you were dating Charlie Sheen? I feel like your dad would be like no. But second of all, what I feel like an accomplice to a crime? I mean, I feel like your dad would be like no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: That would have been some crazy press to be.
Speaker 2: Like Virgin Donna. Virgin Donna who was still a virgin at ninety six, because you don't become not a virgin until ninety seven or eight.
Speaker 1: Charlie Sheen found in hiding in and no one knew we lived in the same building and Tory Spelling's house like it just.
Speaker 2: Wasn't a no. Oh, my gosh, So have you seen Charlie over the years.
Speaker 1: I have, I have. So the next time I interfaced with him was I you know, he was clean at this point and I ran into Denise, who I knew Yeah, yeah, yeah from nine us, from now and everything, and she was dating him, so she was stopping by and then they were married.
Speaker 2: That sounded like a good Charlie Sheen era. That seemed like two and a half men. He was doing great, Denise was like doing awesome.
Speaker 1: And she was really good to him. And you know, they were living in the condo. She moved in there, he moved to the condo. So I don't know when they moved out. I think maybe when she was pregnant with Sammy they moved to a house. But yeah, and obviously you know that I've been good friends with Denise forever and so I've seen her through these periods. Yeah, yeah, surely, and I see how caring she is.
Speaker 2: And for sure you see it in the documentary. You feel it. She's so open in the documentary and vulnerable, and like I cried because.
Speaker 1: I was like, OK, we're talking about making those sandwiches. Oh, the sandwiches, I know, the sandwiches film and he had, you know, prostitutes, and she's like, well, what, I'm not going to make them a sandwich. Everyone has to eat.
Speaker 2: The sandwich story is like unbelievable. She's just literally trying to help and make turkey sandwiches and then like she's like these weren't.
Speaker 1: Like gourmets sandwiches.
Speaker 2: I'm just making I mean, you can just see that. You're like, oh my gosh, wow.
Speaker 1: But I've been there and seen her do that. Like I've been at her house with her kids for Fourth of July one year, and she was making all this food. She loves to cook and nurture everybody, yeah, yeah, yeah, and she was putting some aside and I'm like, what is that and she's like, oh, well, Charlie's going to stop by later and I want him to be fed and have all this food, like yeah, And I remember him coming and we all watched the fire works together and I remember thinking, like I didn't ask her, but I was like, it's not over. And that was the night I can see bo actually whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: How do you know that? Oh my gosh, all right.
Speaker 1: Wow, that much sex at the end of our marriage.
Speaker 2: So it's like you feel like Denise loves him, but it's also a bit of a mothering role so that it's like it's not quite right. I really feel like Charlie's got it this time, but who knows. Tough that's a tough disease.
Speaker 1: Turn out to be like a Matthew Perry thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh horrible.
Speaker 1: You're like, yes, championing them, Yeah, go wrong. Yeah, and Denise saying, and I hope this isn't a spoiler alert, like I still love him. I felt that, and I know me too.
Speaker 2: I thought I was like, especially like Denise's situation, You're like, maybe the timing is right.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And it was interesting how Charlie says he has no interest in dating. He's like, no yet, no, just after all the things that y'all have been through. It's like, oh no, she seems mad, a little bit still a little bit mad.
Speaker 1: She called him for CS bitch.
Speaker 2: She seems a little mad at him.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised she did it.
Speaker 2: But also yeah, because I might be speaking out of school, but I don't think you get paid to be in a documentary. I think you do it out of like the kindness of your heart.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Oh, it's like, well if it's a news one, but this one isn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but yeah, I don't know. But she seems a little mad that he outed her. And there's some story as to why that happened. I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I mean according to this and I didn't know these facts.
Speaker 2: Oh I know it was the travelers check, right, but she's that's not he didn't have They found it.
Speaker 1: And she's like, his name would never have come for me.
Speaker 2: Like they correct, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: That's what's mad that they caught her.
Speaker 2: Yes, they caught her somehow, and then they found this travelers check. So that's why Charlie then testified because he was going to be in big trouble.
Speaker 1: Right, she's saying, well, he didn't have to testify against me, and he's.
Speaker 2: But he would have been, and he's already.
Speaker 1: Looting that it was pandering something, yeah, because he was head also shout out to the travelers check, like I sort of remember those.
Speaker 2: Why didn't people have those? They wouldn't accept like checks? And I don't know. It was like kind of a weird thing, so psyched.
Speaker 1: The first time I got to write a Traveler's Check.
Speaker 2: I don't think I ever read a travelers Check, but I vaguely remember like my parents having my dad having like travelers Check. Oh boy, well all right, I mean that's a lot, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah story, I know. I ended up really liking him, And it was cringey to watch the whole winning and Tiger's Blood and that you really watch.
Speaker 2: How ridiculous that all was and that he even knows it was ridiculous. And then he goes on this tour, the Live Nation Tour or whatever, the whole thing. You're like, that was nuts. And also people were leaning into it when they really should have been getting.
Speaker 1: Him, but that was not He sold out Radio City Music Hall.
Speaker 2: I know, it's nuts.
Speaker 1: And then the people were like, we couldn't understand a word he was saying.
Speaker 2: So funny. How now when people say winning, you're like, oh, that's not a cool that's not cool winning and you're like, no, the tiger blood, yeah no, not good.
Speaker 1: And good on Chuck doing this and like because that was.
Speaker 2: Totally like but you also know, like you feel for all those people because they just are like this wasn't but this wasn't good.
Speaker 1: But he owns it. He owns everything he said, he did. All these past.
Speaker 2: Interesting, but I love that you got dragged into it. Pretty good.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wish Charlie would come on the pod.